7.1

1. Aug 20, 2013
    I don't own a console, so I played this game for the first time, on a PC. I'm not impressed at all The only "new" concept was the random generated levels and even this was old for PC (see Dungeon Hack). Music was mediocre, graphics the same and all in all I've seen much better platforms before. I really can't understand the whole hype about it.....
  2. Aug 21, 2013
    What a rubbish game. Was open minded about it and gave it an honest nudge, hate everything about it. It's not that a 2D scroller isn't fun because Terraria was awesome. The movement is horrible and difficult to master. There is no fun or reward to be had here only frustration and rage. Wish I could get my money back.
  3. Sep 18, 2013
    Prepare to die alot, and be bored while you do it. Its highly repetetive and gets old very quickly. I dont see myself playing this game again anytime soon.
  4. Jul 4, 2013
    Spelunky is not a good game. i went in with an open mind but it wasn't appealing or even fun. there is no real skill involved and the puzzles are simple to complete. some enemies are simply dumb. i do not recommend and wouldn't waste my internet downloading it again. Don't waste your time play a better indie game there are plenty out there.
  5. Sep 8, 2013
    Did not enjoy it. I really tried hard to like it. But no. I played games like this on my Commodore and Amiga, but this game just has not evolved at all. Those games were good in the late 80's and maybe early 90's.

And the most important part: did I have FUN while playing? No. I just did not.
  6. Jan 11, 2014
    Whoever thought it would be fun to play several consecutive levels with 4 hit points, without any proper checkpoints or healing, well it's NOT, and he's a dumbass. It's tedious, frustrating, unrewarding and a general waste of time.
    Any decent roguelike would have more freedom, possibilities and room for error, than that piece of... code.
    And the sickening cartoony style just makes it
    worse by taunting you with its idiotic cheerfulness.
    I'd gladly return this, if I could. Regret buying.
  7. Oct 30, 2013
    What I love about small and independant developers is that they often have new ideas and a will to make something unique. When I buy their games I love the idea that I can expect anything to happen when I push the play-button. When I bought Spelunky I thought the idea of randomly generated levels would be that "anything". That one idea could easily have carried a whole game by itself if developed properly. Unfortunately, in my opinion, so was not the case. Instead the game seems to consist of a number of different ideas that each have been proved to work elsewhere. Put together in a way that none of them are fully developed or given the chance to really grab my volatile gamers-attention in the end the idea of the randomly generated levels just seems like a "by the way".

After playing Spelunky for a while I'm left with a feeling that the game feels eclectic. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It feels like the game is trying be a lot of things but ending up not fully being any of them.
  8. Dec 31, 2013
    Spelunky has a lot of charm. The visuals are cute and the music is nice. The randomness can lead to funny things like tossing a damsel toward the exit only to have her eaten in one bite by a ravenous plant. Some items are quite fun too. Despite the potential appeal, I found Spelunky to be totally obnoxious, relying on cheap deaths, nonsensical randomness, and arbitrary design decisions. Lest you think I’m just not a good player, it personally took me 9 hours (about 160 deaths) to unlock all the tunnels (the last tunnel unlock is insanely annoying) and then complete the regular ending. Speaking of fiendish, Spelunky is designed to make you die over and over. Moreover, it is random to a fault. Some levels are easy, but others are nightmarish (torch levels!). Gear is absolutely essential for surviving, but often it never spawns. You are at the whim of the randomness which is frustrating. Item management is also obnoxious. You have to constantly be dropping and throwing your stuff. And why can’t you put the key in your pocket!? Because the game wants you to die. To conclude, Spelunky is obnoxious and its charm cannot overcome the incredibly repetitive and random nature of the game. There’s a reason the original PC version is available for free. I cannot recommend this game to anyone but the most masochistic of gamers. Expand
  9. Dec 29, 2013
    This game has promise, but isn't much fun in the end. You can say it's "challenging" but that implies skill determines success. Really, it's just another game with a ton of things randomly positioned to kill you. The dart trap never misses, the giant spiders take four hits to kill (while they jump on you), there are unavoidable long falls, and if you take too much time thinking about how to get around something, the Time Limit Ghost shows up and kills you instantly.

Wearable items are rare, and if you're holding a weapon you can't pick anything else up. Movement is awkward: you can't fall between two supports, the regular jump is tiny, the running jump is way too fast and long.

Even with the randomly generated levels, it gets repetitive really fast because you always start in the mine and die really quickly so finding a few exits means nothing.
  10. Nov 29, 2013
    Started game up and already there is a bug in the settings window when changing the resolution, quite disgusting for a game that has been out for so long.
  11. Dec 26, 2013
    Nice looking, for start but gets repetitive on the matter of level design, visuality and purpose Fails deliver any surprises, and it fast turns into no more fun. I did almost come give positive review after first minutes of play but too soon my feelings changed to a thought This was it .
    yep that was it. Theres luckily better games.
  12. Dec 30, 2013
    I do not understand all the rave reviews this game has received. I bought it during a Steam sale and I wish I could get my money back. This is an overhyped, mediocre platformer that gives you no incentive to keep playing. It bills itself as part platformer, part exploration game, but fails at both. It is way more frustration than fun.

The core issue with Spelunky is the randomly
    generated levels. It may sound good on paper: always a new experience! Never the same thing twice! But let’s be honest: Spelunky is actually the same thing EVERY time. All that changes is where things are placed. Instead of running into two bats in the first part of the level, you’ll run into a snake…but the level is still made up of the same bats & snakes. And anyway, playing the same level twice, thrice, or a hundred times doesn’t matter if it is a fun, well-made level.

The whole random level generation is a dodge for the developers b/c the burden has been taken off of them to create clever, fun environments. Instead they’ve made a few basic gameplay mechanics that all get tossed into a blender every time you play. Good luck, hope something enjoyable comes out of the mix. And the levels still manage to be quite repetitive, despite the randomization.

This, combined with the “rougelike” elements (the latest indie game fad) poisons the exploration aspect. Not only is the game riddled with cheap deaths and difficulty due to poor controls, but there’s also an invisible timer for each level. If you take too long to finish, a big ghost comes that instantly kills you, meaning you have to start all over but from a new, randomly generated level. And there’s no way to tell how much time is left, so you’ll want to hurry to the exit & keep exploration to a minimum. Where is the fun in that?

The PC version features a daily challenge, which is one level randomly created each day that is accessible & the same for everyone but you can only play through once. Defenders of Spelunky talk like this is an amazing feature but I say who cares? The whole point of leaderboards & online competition is to see who has the most skill. Classic platformers have legendary levels that all its players know through shared experience (Battletoads, anyone?). Even someone who casually plays through the game once could see the top score & shake their head in amazement. No one will remember Spelunky’s levels, though. Who sits back and talks about, “Man, remember the daily challenge from April 5, 2013? My, that was a classic.”

Ultimately, there is no point to playing Spelunky beyond saying you did. You may stumble upon a level that is a joy to play, but it’ll be gone forever as soon as you die or find the exit. More likely you’ll stumble repeatedly into tedious levels that look alike and are merely arranged differently. Then you’ll die from touching something you didn’t know was harmful or from taking fall damage, even though the fall didn’t look too steep. Then you’ll have to start the whole thing over from the beginning. Wheeeee.
  13. Feb 20, 2014
    I like indie games and I like roguelikes (Nethack is my favorite game of all time) and I like side scrollers. I don't like spelunky. Good games find ways to keep you interested. In spelunky the levels all just look interchangeable, the collectibles are a joke, and there doesn't really seem to be any excitement. Good roguelikes are filled with a sense of wonder, the thought that you are scratching the border of a zone filled with complexity and fun...

Spelunky reminds me of the kind of games a 10 year old would enjoy, repetitive and simplistic... I hated it.

1. Sep 30, 2013
    Spelunky is a great fun, but when it goes down, the fun is gone and your eye goes neurotic. Still, it ranks among the best recent platformers.
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    A few years ago, Spelunky was a unique phenomenon. Now, when its ideas have been adopted and improved upon by Super House of the Dead Ninjas, Binding of Isaac, and Rogue Legacy, this remake is simply first among equals.
  3. Sep 9, 2013
    Straightforward and replayable, Spelunky is precision engineered to make death fair, funny, and a story worth sharing.