7.1

1. Aug 20, 2013
    I don't own a console, so I played this game for the first time, on a PC. I'm not impressed at all The only "new" concept was the random generated levels and even this was old for PC (see Dungeon Hack). Music was mediocre, graphics the same and all in all I've seen much better platforms before. I really can't understand the whole hype about it.....
  2. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spelunky is a game that requires an innumerable amount of skill. The challenges are nearly impossible to achieve, and require an immense amount of time to achieve. Needless to say these challenges will give you that great feeling of achievement afterward. The levels are randomized well, so the experience is rarely the same. There will be times that you get to skip levels, and times you will be challenged. There are many different items, an interesting shop (which u can even steal from), and multiple ways to beat the game. Overall this is a great, simple, challenging game that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a cheap and fun time. Expand
  3. Aug 21, 2013
    What a rubbish game. Was open minded about it and gave it an honest nudge, hate everything about it. It's not that a 2D scroller isn't fun because Terraria was awesome. The movement is horrible and difficult to master. There is no fun or reward to be had here only frustration and rage. Wish I could get my money back.
  4. Jul 4, 2013
    Spelunky is not a good game. i went in with an open mind but it wasn't appealing or even fun. there is no real skill involved and the puzzles are simple to complete. some enemies are simply dumb. i do not recommend and wouldn't waste my internet downloading it again. Don't waste your time play a better indie game there are plenty out there.
  5. Sep 18, 2013
    Prepare to die alot, and be bored while you do it. Its highly repetetive and gets old very quickly. I dont see myself playing this game again anytime soon.
  6. Sep 8, 2013
    Did not enjoy it. I really tried hard to like it. But no. I played games like this on my Commodore and Amiga, but this game just has not evolved at all. Those games were good in the late 80's and maybe early 90's.

And the most important part: did I have FUN while playing? No. I just did not.
  7. Aug 18, 2013
    For everyone who loves 2D platformers this is must play. Nice controls, randomly generated levels, bunch of secrets, challenging etc. Just play it already!
  8. Aug 19, 2013
    I've played spelunky at it's original state, then the version on Xbox 360 and now on PC. No matter the platform, the game keeps evolving. As a 2D platformer it is excellent and is a must have in your "platformer collection". The game has many level types, enemies, obstacles and atmospheres. Every play-through feels and is different and you can hardly get tired of it. It's one of those games that you always want to beat your record. Expand
  9. Aug 28, 2013
    Well, all I can really say is that its a good game, but I find that there is no replay value. Plus, older retro style games tend to hurt my face. Yeah, thats' a thing now. Meh. It was good while it lasted, but was more of a pass time.
  10. Aug 9, 2013
    Spelunky is a game that die hard gamers who want a challenge are looking for. I played the original on the PC and I was actually hesitant to buy the remake of it because I questioned how much was added for the new version. I was very pleasantly surprised by what I got. First of all the game has been remade from the ground up. The controls are tighter, the graphics are better and these things put together make the game much more fun to play. On top of that there is the added coop and deathmatch modes (which are local multiplayer modes) that are extremely fun to play with friends. There is also the addition of tons of new playable characters including DLC characters released on the xbox, new levels, and new enemies. Overall if you're looking for a punishing yet rewarding game with incredible replay value, look no further. Expand
  11. Aug 9, 2013
    A really fun little game, with simple mechanics and nice graphics, Spelunky isn't a game to get you hooked for hours, but it's on of the best time-wasters around, especially when you find yourself with an hour to kill. Not everyone will find it to their taste, however, as it can be tricky in parts. In short, a fun, nice little game, but nothing ground-breaking or enchanting.
  12. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is INCREDIBLY difficult and can be extremely frustrating, but that doesn't, even for a second, stop it from being an amazing addictive all round brilliant game that I would recommend to anyone (well at least anyone without a temper lol) Expand
  13. Aug 11, 2013
    I had a lot of fun with this game when it was the original free version. And now it has better graphics, animations, levels, levels that will never be the same
  14. Aug 12, 2013
    Best game i've played for awhile and i'll probably keep playing it because it has infinite amount of content because the maps are randomly generated i recommend it so much love this game this game is fast fun and its permadeath (YOLO) Platformer (Retro)

If you don't trust me take nerdcubed advice:
    dont worry its not a virus
  15. Oct 30, 2013
    I've been a big fan of rouge-like games. The first one I ever played was Amulet of Yendor on a 5 1/4" floppy drive. There are two things, for me, that makes a game of this type enjoyable: One is the constant threat of danger and death awaiting every corner. Spelunky excels over and above in that aspect. After I had died 4 times in 8 minutes and had not been able to complete level 1-1 I understood just how complex and unforgiving this game is. I wouldn't say steep learning curve, as such things as starting on an island with 3 arrow traps and spikes on both sides for level 1-1 is not really a learning experience so much as a bad luck of the draw. You live fast, you die fast, and if you stop and take time to explore a ghost appears and one hits you.

It's for this reason that I gave Spelunky a low score, not that I died, or not that it's too hard to play. Spelunky is a reduction of a rouge-like. It's missing the 2nd thing that all rouge-likes should have: Character development. There's no off the wall classes with different abilities and weaknesses. There's no real inventory management, or stats, or ways to shape your character. It's just run through, don't stop, don't worry about the avatar, just go till you die.

I like the game play, the graphics aren't bad, the music is meh. For me though, a rouge-like game is about developing a character and living out a story. I still remember getting to the higher floors of Amulet of Yendor and opening a chest that blinded me. Or in NetHack when I had the warrior who I thought was unstoppable until I couldn't find any food and ended up eating an old corpse that poisoned me to death. The story that plays out is what keeps me invested. Since it's missing half of what makes these types of games fun for me I rated it accordingly.
  16. Aug 16, 2013
    I'm having a ton of fun with Spelunky; it's definitely one of the most addictive games I've ever played. I really can't say enough good things about it! I love the art style: colorful levels, varied enemies, excellent animation, and quite possibly the cutest "damsel" to ever appear in any form of media at any point in history. The controls are really fluid and precise, although they do seem a bit touchy when you first get started. But once you get used to the ins and outs of jumping, running, etc., it all becomes second nature.

I also love the "daily challenge." It's super fun to get a unique world every day that you truly only get one shot at and where that one shot really matters. It adds a whole new level of pressure to the already intense roguelike genre.

This is sounding like 10 out of 10 material, right? Definitely! But there's one problem: I think Spelunky is just a bit too hard. Not much, mind you. It's just a hair on the side of unfair. I know that's partially the point, and it certainly is possible to practice and get better. But, unlike the Binding of Isaac, I'm finding that there really are very few character setups that "work." Isaac allows for tens if not hundreds of item combinations that can lead to victory in most circumstances. As far as I can tell after about 15 hours, Spelunky basically requires you to have a jetpack and a shotgun if you want to have a chance. I know: I'm new and no doubt I'm missing a few things. That being said, I'm just not seeing a lot of paths to success. It's frustrating. No matter my skill level, the first 6 or so levels end up being a repetitious struggle to get the right gear, and that's not fun.

Anyway, in my estimation Spelunky is on the cusp of perfection. If only it was just a tiny bit more balanced. Maybe a difficultly select option would be the best solution: new players like me could go with "normal" and get an extra life or more health. Then there'd be "hardcore" mode: "The true Spelunky starts here."
  17. Aug 21, 2013
    I think the game is good, not a full 10 but to compensate the negative reviews by people who can't read "Yes, the game is difficult and luck and bad luck are serried"
  18. Sep 8, 2013
    Great puzzle platformer with some procedurally generated "rogue like" content and gameplay. Ensures that each new game you start feels fresh, and will likely toss something unexpected your way.

Beware the difficulty of this title, though. The difficulty curve tends to be a bit sporadic with some levels feeling tougher than others. Spelunky is not a game about long term progression, but
    rather minute-by-minute gameplay and improving between games. Characters that die, die for good forcing you to start over with nothing other than your personal experience intact. Because the game randomizes pretty much everything when you start a new game, the game does a fairly good job of making you feel that urge of "just playing one more run" before you quit.

Can quickly become addicting, and if you love games with rogue-like elements you might definitely want to check it out.

The "Classic" version which was created years ago for PC remains free to play...and although it's polish is nowhere near the HD version, it's still a good demo for experiencing the gameplay before you decide to buy.
  19. Oct 29, 2013
    Spelunky is a brilliant combination of tough platforming an roguelike elements. With randomly generated levels, loads of obstacles, enemies, and loot, the game provides nigh infinite replay value. The amount of depth this game has is absolutely staggering for a platformer.

Fair warning: this game is tough. You will die a lot, especially when you start out. However, the vast
    majority of people giving this negative reviews are just suffering from bruised egos. Rest assured, if you die in this game, it's because you made a mistake. The more you play though, the fewer mistakes you will make. Eventually you will be avoiding deaths you would have previously thought "unfair".

After countless hours of playing the original freeware version, and now the much-improved HD version, Spelunky is the one game in my collection that I keep coming back to again and again. In short Spelunky is a masterpiece, and one the best platformers of all time.
  20. Jan 11, 2014
    Whoever thought it would be fun to play several consecutive levels with 4 hit points, without any proper checkpoints or healing, well it's NOT, and he's a dumbass. It's tedious, frustrating, unrewarding and a general waste of time.
    Any decent roguelike would have more freedom, possibilities and room for error, than that piece of... code.
    And the sickening cartoony style just makes it
    worse by taunting you with its idiotic cheerfulness.
    I'd gladly return this, if I could. Regret buying.
  21. Aug 14, 2013
    Spelunky, um jogo fantástico começa como um jogo bonitinho, meio infantil, mas se mostra um jogo frustrante ao passar de suas fases que são geradas aleatoriamente.
    Super recomendado para quem quer um jogo difícil, Spelunky aquele jogo que você aprende a jogar morrendo pois aí você sabe quais são as habilidades dos seus inimigos e ao passar de cada fase vão aparecendo novos inimigos
    tanto fáceis quanto difíceis.
    O deatmatch do jogo muito frustrante pois você vai precisar jogar muito para conseguir matar alguém pois tudo muito rápido.
    Spelunky um jogo para quem quer se aventurar em um jogo de plataforma difícil mas não impossível.
  22. Sep 11, 2013
    A superb platformer with rogue-like elements. Behind the cutesy graphics lies a world of randomly-generated levels filled with deadly traps, weapons, monsters, and treasures. You will die more times than you can count; but the game has a strange way of making you come back for more.

Highly recommended if you're a fan of platformers, roguelikes, or challenging games.
  23. Sep 14, 2013
    Spelunky has great controls, excellent procedural design, and plenty of variety. You will die over and over again, but you will be laughing.

The game doesn't have a huge amount of replay value despite how fun it is for a while. Later levels like the Temple and the Mothership are so difficult that I was drained of any desire to keep reaching them after a few times.

Overall, though,
    well worth playing. Expand
  24. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So You want to be a hero...Well,you have to prove it by beating this game...Mind you,many have tried...You can see by all those negative ratings of this game...Those are people who have tried but got their ass kicked so they found an excuse or a way to get revenge by giving it a low rating...
    Are you ready to beat one of the hardest,diabolical game ever created?...This game is not made to boost your ego but to teach you a lesson..It will humiliate you one time after another until you will cry like a baby...
    Are you up for the challenge?It will consume your life...It will haunt your dreams...It would made you feel unworthy,pitiful human being...Are you ready to feel helpless?
    This game was made only for the elite of gamers...Those who will shout "come on,bring it on"...And it will...Up until you would fall on your knees begging for forgiveness...But it will just scorn at you and keep smacking your butt so hard you will curse the day you started playing it...
    Are you looking for fun?Don't make this game laugh...It want only one thing...To spill your guts,to hurt you,to make you suffer...
    You get only 150 seconds to survive each level...If you begin to dilly-dally, before you know it ,a ghost will come to haunt you...A ghost you can't harm in any way except getting a snapshot of it by your camera and it will only pause for a moment to pose for you, only to give you one more second to run for your life to the exit...But the exit is the most guarded place of the level...
    Each second of your gaming must be calculated...If you are smart you will pause the game many times to think carefully what to do next and not only that..You should keep a calculator handy next to you just in case you need to remind yourself how many precious seconds you have left before it will come after you...
    This game is intense and brutal...Prepare for bloodshed...Blood is so important here that if you sacrifice enough corpses to the Goddess she will give you a vessel to fill with drops of blood during battles which will give you in turn more lives...How sick is that?
    This game incorporate stealth with lightning fast battles...And if you hadn't consider all the factors before you engaged into a battle you would not stand a chance...It would be all over before you know it only to make you reflect what went wrong...How come your ass has been kicked again... What the hell is wrong with you...How could you repeat the sames mistakes so many times...
    The thing is each game is different offering you a different setting in such a way you won't be able to anticipate what is in store for you...You can't rely on your memories to help you...You prepare yourself for one scene only to get a completely different scene...So you must rely on your instincts and they must be acute to make you react so fast to deal against all kinds of ****
    Your imagination is your best tool to cope against all the enemies and traps waiting to make you bleed...When you are going to see your first enemy,it is going to be a snake coming to you peacefully and gracefully allowing you whip its ass to feel comfy about your timing...But later on it will teach you a lesson about striking at the right timing...It will jump out of pots at the most inconvenient times to bite you in the ass...And it is only the weakest enemy...
    Are you still reading?What's wrong with you?Don't blame me,I warned you not to play this game... Once you started you are doomed unless you are made of heroes stuff...Real heroes stuff...Then you are in for a hell of a time...Hero time...
  25. Sep 12, 2013
    Think its the best 2d platformer game of 2013. This game surpasses Rayman Origins & Legneds in all aspects. The gameplay's great. I love playin it time to time. I love the scenery. The mechanics of the game were good.
  26. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is very good, a bit frustrating but just because it's a fair challenge. I really love the graphics, the inertia, fells really good playing on a gamepad or on the keyboard. One of my best purchases of this year at full price. No regrets at all.
    Some days it can get on your nerves but it's so rewarding. i think the best part of this game is watching other people failing at it
  27. Oct 30, 2013
    A great roguelike-like with a competitive daily scoreboard system. A huge amount of replayability can be found in this title for fans of skill based, real-time roguelike-likes.

The game has a steep learning curve but it offers a checkpoint system for the more casual player, making it easily possible to train your techniques for certain areas of the game. Scores on the worldwide
    leader-board are only saved, if one started the game from stage 1.

The state of art is consistent throughout the game, nothing jumps the eye in displeasure while going though the numerous areas and their different themes. Character assets and animations are detailed and sometimes really cute. The music is a mix of remixed retro songs from the original game and original works. Multiple varying songs for each stage present in the game fit the themes but are exceptional enough to be recognized even hours after gaming. One gets literally blasted away by the soundtrack entering a new stage.

The default keyboard controls are a bit clunky. It is advised to change them or get a gamepad to maximize the enjoyment out of the title. The controls itself feel natural for a platformer, granting a solid mix between momentum and full character control.
  28. Oct 30, 2013
    What I love about small and independant developers is that they often have new ideas and a will to make something unique. When I buy their games I love the idea that I can expect anything to happen when I push the play-button. When I bought Spelunky I thought the idea of randomly generated levels would be that "anything". That one idea could easily have carried a whole game by itself if developed properly. Unfortunately, in my opinion, so was not the case. Instead the game seems to consist of a number of different ideas that each have been proved to work elsewhere. Put together in a way that none of them are fully developed or given the chance to really grab my volatile gamers-attention in the end the idea of the randomly generated levels just seems like a "by the way".

After playing Spelunky for a while I'm left with a feeling that the game feels eclectic. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It feels like the game is trying be a lot of things but ending up not fully being any of them.
  29. Oct 21, 2013
    It's so good, probably the best 2D platformer you could buy, everyone who says this game involves no skill are wrong they just generally suck at video games and rage quited.
  30. Nov 5, 2013
    Perhaps this game's only flaw is that the learning curve is so steep right off the bat that many players won't soldier on for long enough to experience its genius. I urge you to stick with it, because it is absolutely worth it.
  31. Dec 1, 2013
    gave it a whirl and well.......glad it was on sale for a few bucks. Overall from my experience I ascertain this as a repetitive 2d side scroller in the tradition of Mario, dk, castlevania, etc. without the unique variations that those titles retained. I was expecting large underground caverns and caves to explore; instead got a cramped lil area to digdug, kill a few badies, collect the same gems, and save a lost girl.

Hardly unique and inspiring for players to enjoy. One other thing...the music is atrocious, so blatant retro and painful to listen to, with all the music opts available why this? UGH!!

There is also blood so parents be warned!

I gave it a seven for the sound effects, general controls and the graphics; which were decent.
  32. Dec 20, 2013
    This is Game best arcade 2013. Good HUD, Gameplay, and Graphics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  33. Nov 23, 2013
    I find Spelunky to be a brilliant game. When the concept first began on Game Maker, I thought it was amazing. At the time, I was very into Game Maker so it seemed absolutely amazing. It still is. The latest remake is the same thing, just more polished. I am a huge fan of Rogue-likes and so it feels comfortable for me. Others who don't enjoy Rogue-likes would not enjoy Spelunky. Simple as. I love the graphics style because it's not too "Look at me, I'm really sexy!" and no where near "I'm bringing 8-Bit back". On that topic, the 8-Bit market has become over-saturated and its not good at the moment.

The levels can be a bit hard and the permadeath situations are really not nice. The music gets on my nerves a little but I can turn it off so I don't mind. It does, however, crash when I tab out. Every time.

It looks like I've given a good score to a game that has lots of flaws. And I have. But that's only because I enjoyed the game play immensely. It is a very fun game and I can overlook those flaws. Games are about the gameplay, not the graphics style or the choice of soundtrack. If a game is good then it deserves a high score.
  34. Nov 23, 2013
    Spelunky is quite a hard, yet very addictive indie game. Every time you die you get reset to the first level of whichever "map" you are playing, and so you have a constant drive to keep playing in order to get to that new area. Although the map randomizes, the game can quickly become boring if the map you are on is proving too hard to get through.

Overall, it's a very good game. The
    ability to buy extra items is nice to help give yourself a helping hand through the levels. Just needs some additions gameplay-wise to maintain interest. Expand
  35. Nov 29, 2013
    Started game up and already there is a bug in the settings window when changing the resolution, quite disgusting for a game that has been out for so long.
  36. Dec 3, 2013
    One of the hardest and most enjoyable platformers I've ever played. Due to the shifting level designs you never get bored and there are so many cool tools to collect that can make your job easier. The joy of finding some sticky mittens to help you climb walls, or some springy boots to get to high places, cannot be matched. Equally the frustration of dying while in possession of said items is also unparalleled, except maybe by Minecraft, the most brutally unforgiving game of all. Expand
  37. Dec 29, 2013
    Really great game. Although difficult, Spelunky keeps you coming back thanks to the addicting gameplay and randomly generated levels. It has that "just one more try" addictiveness. The visual design is excellent and the music is really catchy. The game's humour is also great with some of the captions of the journal. The character models are also quite funny, especially that of the shop keeper, and the way he behaves after you steal from his shop is really cool! My one complaint is that the multiplayer is pretty weak. The deathmatch game mode is a bit ridiculous and I was disappointed to find that co-op is only local, not online. Otherwise, a really great game. Expand
  38. Dec 29, 2013
    This game has promise, but isn't much fun in the end. You can say it's "challenging" but that implies skill determines success. Really, it's just another game with a ton of things randomly positioned to kill you. The dart trap never misses, the giant spiders take four hits to kill (while they jump on you), there are unavoidable long falls, and if you take too much time thinking about how to get around something, the Time Limit Ghost shows up and kills you instantly.

Wearable items are rare, and if you're holding a weapon you can't pick anything else up. Movement is awkward: you can't fall between two supports, the regular jump is tiny, the running jump is way too fast and long.

Even with the randomly generated levels, it gets repetitive really fast because you always start in the mine and die really quickly so finding a few exits means nothing.
  39. Dec 31, 2013
    Spelunky has a lot of charm. The visuals are cute and the music is nice. The randomness can lead to funny things like tossing a damsel toward the exit only to have her eaten in one bite by a ravenous plant. Some items are quite fun too. Despite the potential appeal, I found Spelunky to be totally obnoxious, relying on cheap deaths, nonsensical randomness, and arbitrary design decisions. Lest you think I’m just not a good player, it personally took me 9 hours (about 160 deaths) to unlock all the tunnels (the last tunnel unlock is insanely annoying) and then complete the regular ending. Speaking of fiendish, Spelunky is designed to make you die over and over. Moreover, it is random to a fault. Some levels are easy, but others are nightmarish (torch levels!). Gear is absolutely essential for surviving, but often it never spawns. You are at the whim of the randomness which is frustrating. Item management is also obnoxious. You have to constantly be dropping and throwing your stuff. And why can’t you put the key in your pocket!? Because the game wants you to die. To conclude, Spelunky is obnoxious and its charm cannot overcome the incredibly repetitive and random nature of the game. There’s a reason the original PC version is available for free. I cannot recommend this game to anyone but the most masochistic of gamers. Expand
  40. Jan 7, 2014
    I have read several reviews (good and bad), and if i may i will start with this:
    Comparing SPELUNKY with games such as DOTA and DARK SOULS is not only erroneous but misleading; it's like comparing apples to puffer fish ammm, both are round?.. kinda...
    Another comment that i have seen a lot here is the one about Controllers (gamepads): i don't owe a console (i actually despise all of
    them!), and i love playing SPELUNKY with my keyboard (just change the keys to your likings! Can you do that with a controller?!)

I don't just give 9's or 10's to games, but i would strongly suggest to anyone reading reviews before they buy the actual game, to go to SPELUNKY's official homepage they have a ton of info about this great game, AND allow you to play an earlier version (2008) FOR FREE.

The Game is great! It is of a Rogue Family (in short, meaning when you die you die, and there is no save feature) Yes, it's hell! But that's one of the things that keeps this game fresh. And the randomly generated levels will never feel the same.

It is a HARD game. If you pass this one, you may proudly show off your steam Achievement (as opposed to some lame "kill 10 enemies" pseudo-achievements, which have no essence). SPELUNKY has a ton of secrets, which are up to you to discover. But you will die oh so many times! :D And that's also part of life, isn't it?

At first, the game might seem ridiculous, but just hang on in there, and make your final judgement after you die 101 times Seriously.

Good Luck!
  41. Jan 8, 2014
    A well crafted roguelike with a wide range of items and abilities, but ultimately an exercise in random number generation. Like so many games in this genre, "Spelunky" does not reward planning or careful use of resources so much as lucky rolls of the dice. Entertaining, to be sure, but not nearly as profound or mesmerizing as many reviews here would have you believe. That this game rates a 90 is iron-clad proof that Metacritic is populated more by marketing agencies than by actual gamers. Expand
  42. Jan 11, 2014
    You will die a lot in Spelunky, when you die you lose any items and gold you have and start all the way back at the start, but one thing you do keep is the knowledge you learnt from this attempt. That knowledge builds up over multiple attempts and before you know it, you as a player have improved. Your character is not getting stronger by leveling up, you are getting better at the game with each failed attempt. You learn what hazards to avoid, how best to deal with certain enemies, what items will benefit your character most and what secrets are hidden away. You will master the controls, and when you do the are incredibly tight.

You will look back, remembering when reaching the Jungle in one piece was once an accomplishment, when now taking any damage before reaching there would be considered a bad run. You will look forward, trying to get that bit further than your previous run, promising yourself 'just one more run'.

After hours upon hours of playing, you may eventually reach the boss, and die miserably. You will try and try again, it took me 370 overall attempts, but when you kill him, you feel a sense of achievement greater than any game can deliver, knowing you finally conquered this incredibly difficult, but still fair and incredibly well designed game.
  43. Jan 19, 2014
    trying to be; A game of perfecting your ability as gamer. In fact: **** UI block a quarter of screen and the developer did nothing, even people said it to their face. -Some chance that the map will be 'unadvanceable' without 3-4 bombs, such as spider-map. and ruin your run -Shopkeeper who will kill you because a monster detonated TNT near his shop. (it's code that all damage or bomb happen to his area are 'player doing' even it's the game coding problem).

Still a enjoyable game if you lucky not get these 'bug'.
  44. Feb 20, 2014
    I like indie games and I like roguelikes (Nethack is my favorite game of all time) and I like side scrollers. I don't like spelunky. Good games find ways to keep you interested. In spelunky the levels all just look interchangeable, the collectibles are a joke, and there doesn't really seem to be any excitement. Good roguelikes are filled with a sense of wonder, the thought that you are scratching the border of a zone filled with complexity and fun...

Spelunky reminds me of the kind of games a 10 year old would enjoy, repetitive and simplistic... I hated it.
  45. May 14, 2014
    This game finds its identity in being brutally hard. There isn't really much else to it. If you don't want to do the same simple tasks over and over until you can consistently make it through levels without mistakes, this game has nothing to offer you. Most of the individual components are not difficult. The game is only difficult because you can save so rarely. I'll play a game with difficulty levels, where I can choose whether I want brutal challenge or simple enjoyment, thank you. Expand
  46. Nov 17, 2013
    ‘Colorful, frantic, and just about as infuriating as it is addictive.’

With its randomly generated level design and fully destructible environments, Spelunky unearths a gold mine of fun and frustration that is sure to induce gamer rage yet somehow still manages to keep you hooked for hours upon hours as you experience new and refreshing adventures each time you play in this thrilling 2D
    platformer.

If relentless, unforgiving 2D platformers are your sort of thing, then this little charmer is definitely the right game for you.
  47. Dec 2, 2013
    Utter genius.
    Believe the hype and play a game that reminds of you of the games you played when you were a kid (you know, ugly-looking, damned hard, really rewarding, loads of personality secrets..)
    A must buy.
  48. Dec 26, 2013
    Nice looking, for start but gets repetitive on the matter of level design, visuality and purpose Fails deliver any surprises, and it fast turns into no more fun. I did almost come give positive review after first minutes of play but too soon my feelings changed to a thought This was it .
    yep that was it. Theres luckily better games.
  49. Dec 30, 2013
    I do not understand all the rave reviews this game has received. I bought it during a Steam sale and I wish I could get my money back. This is an overhyped, mediocre platformer that gives you no incentive to keep playing. It bills itself as part platformer, part exploration game, but fails at both. It is way more frustration than fun.

The core issue with Spelunky is the randomly
    generated levels. It may sound good on paper: always a new experience! Never the same thing twice! But let’s be honest: Spelunky is actually the same thing EVERY time. All that changes is where things are placed. Instead of running into two bats in the first part of the level, you’ll run into a snake…but the level is still made up of the same bats & snakes. And anyway, playing the same level twice, thrice, or a hundred times doesn’t matter if it is a fun, well-made level.

The whole random level generation is a dodge for the developers b/c the burden has been taken off of them to create clever, fun environments. Instead they’ve made a few basic gameplay mechanics that all get tossed into a blender every time you play. Good luck, hope something enjoyable comes out of the mix. And the levels still manage to be quite repetitive, despite the randomization.

This, combined with the “rougelike” elements (the latest indie game fad) poisons the exploration aspect. Not only is the game riddled with cheap deaths and difficulty due to poor controls, but there’s also an invisible timer for each level. If you take too long to finish, a big ghost comes that instantly kills you, meaning you have to start all over but from a new, randomly generated level. And there’s no way to tell how much time is left, so you’ll want to hurry to the exit & keep exploration to a minimum. Where is the fun in that?

The PC version features a daily challenge, which is one level randomly created each day that is accessible & the same for everyone but you can only play through once. Defenders of Spelunky talk like this is an amazing feature but I say who cares? The whole point of leaderboards & online competition is to see who has the most skill. Classic platformers have legendary levels that all its players know through shared experience (Battletoads, anyone?). Even someone who casually plays through the game once could see the top score & shake their head in amazement. No one will remember Spelunky’s levels, though. Who sits back and talks about, “Man, remember the daily challenge from April 5, 2013? My, that was a classic.”

Ultimately, there is no point to playing Spelunky beyond saying you did. You may stumble upon a level that is a joy to play, but it’ll be gone forever as soon as you die or find the exit. More likely you’ll stumble repeatedly into tedious levels that look alike and are merely arranged differently. Then you’ll die from touching something you didn’t know was harmful or from taking fall damage, even though the fall didn’t look too steep. Then you’ll have to start the whole thing over from the beginning. Wheeeee.
  50. Jan 3, 2014
    In my first few days of owning Spelunky, I've played it for 15 hours. This game does not get repetitive thanks to level feelings and one thing that I really like is that you get a shortcut to the next level when you are ready for the next level. The shortcut system, along with the whole game, was thought up by a genius!
  51. Jan 9, 2014
    Derek Yu, you madman, this game is flippin' badass, I promise you readers, buy this game and never forget that you played it! The graphics are cool! This game is phenomenal!!!! Buy this or I will go Slenderman on yo' ass! 10/10 or 99%
  52. Jan 10, 2014
    This is one of the best platform games ever released.

Note though that it requires a different mindset than most modern games to enjoy. Like, if you feel frustrated by every single death in a game or need to be constantly patted on the back with xp gains, in game unlocks or making 'story' progress then this is not for you.
  53. Jan 12, 2014
    Very cute and entertaining game. If you like cartoonish graphics this is game for you. I know that i love. Random generating levels and some times very hard to play. Yes "you " will die a lot , but remember this is only a game. It has to be funny and challenging. For the low price you get a lot of fun.
  54. Feb 2, 2014
    People criticizing this game seem to have expected something else. This is not a single, go through the game once kind of game. You will die a lot. The point is to get better and have fun while you do it. I still haven't gotten past the jungle but you don't hear me complaining because I know that it's going to take a long time to get good enough to complete. This isn't a game for everyone, but if you enjoy classic games where it takes patients and dedication to beat, this game provides greatly. Also, the random level generation gives plenty of replay value. I would definitely not recommend playing without a game-pad of some sort, personally. It will make it harder than it's supposed to be. I would recommend however that you try to the original free version of Spelunky before you play this one to get a feel of how the game works, but the graphics in this are much better and the game-play overall feels better to me. Expand
  55. Mar 13, 2014
    This game is the type of games that will get bad reviews from some hasty people. Why? Because it is excruciatingly hard. Completing even the first level may seem like an overwhelming challenge at first, but one you'll overcome with patience and practice.Standing only at sixteen (actually twenty) levels before the ''final'' boss, four for each of the worlds, the game may seem like a pretty short and simple platformer, but here comes the twist. Every single time you die (and it will happen, A LOT), you respawn at the very first level of the Mines (1-1), but it is not the same 1-1 you just went through, it is randomly generated like every other level, meaning that in a thousand successful games you would never encounter the same layout twice. In addition to that, a plethore of different enemies. events and items will keep you hooked until you know the ins and outs of everything Spelunky and you can reliably (or almost) kill Olmec on most runs. The charming art style makes it a pleasure to look at, with every of the 16 characters being unique enough to warrant a little playtime. Couch co-op and deathmatch help extend the already infinite replayability of Spelunky and add a little more chaos and family ruining fun to your spelunking evenings too!

This game is a brilliant masterpiece, and one proof that gameplay still is at the very core of the enjoyment of a game, even when there is no story involved, at all. Go and try it, you will die at every trap, but I promise, you will soon be riding Olmec into Hell, collecting every diamond the nefarious ghost can grant you.
  56. Mar 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spelunky

A very difficult platformer with roguelike elements, based on "La Mulana" and "Net-Hack", this game provides procedurally (random) generated set of levels each time a new "adventure" is started, and permanent death (no checkpoints between levels, means that the player starts from 0 each adventure). The lack of forgiveness, the amount of dangers, the replay value and the (very) steep learning curve, make this game the go-to choice for any fan of platform games.

From the beginning of the game the player is presented with a tutorial that explains the few, yet deep, mechanics of the game. The player is given a set of basic abilities like Jumping, Running, Whipping, Throwing/placing Bombs (because ALL THE LEVELS ARE FULLY DESTRUCTIBLE) and Ropes, and Crawling. All of these abilities have basic purposes in the survival of the player, and most of them can be modified with the help of other items throughout the whole game. Some dangers are shown to the player as well, which can be very varied, although initially only bats and snakes are introduced (shop keepers are shown as well, but most players choose to ignore them). Other dangers like traps (triggered by Indiana Jones-like idols)
    and spikes that sit there waiting for the player to fall into them. It is worth noticing that even though the player is given a certain amount of health and some particular ways of recovering it (tedious ones), some enemies and traps can easily one-shot the player into oblivion.

When the player embarks on a real adventure, he/she will have to survive through 16 different levels to be able to finish the game, although there is an extension of 4 secret levels more that has to be achieved through the game’s hardest means. In total, there are at least 20 “normal” levels, other 5 (very) secret ones that are well hidden, and 7+ “level feelings” that are well scattered that make every single adventure unique.

The levels are set in 4 floors per level and 4 levels per set of levels, and each set of levels has its own theme; there are the mines, the jungle, the ice caves and the temple initially. Each level starts at the top floor, where the player is put to the task of surviving the descent to the bottom of the level, and arriving to the exit ALIVE. The starting health of the overall adventure is 4 hp (health points), and the damage done by “small” enemies is 1, arrow traps and giant spiders hit for 2 hp, being crushed by a block/enemy or falling into a spike trap = instant death, falling into lava = instant death, exploding a bomb too close to you is 5 hp less. Let’s just say that it is easier to die than it is to live, since the main source of recovering health, is to bring the “damsel” located… somewhere in the level to the exit, going to the exit, and then transition to this next level, the player will be granted 1+ health. It is worth saying as well that there is ONLY 1 damsel per level, and that damsel will give ONLY 1 health to the player.
    “Yet another stupid death” (YASD) is a very common phrase that can be heard between players to explain how the run went.
    Despite survival being the main topic throughout the levels, on level 16, there is one of the only boss fights in the game, where the player is not tasked only by surviving, but by killing/defeating one of the only obstacles left in the game; OLMEC, a giant head (made of gold) that jumps towards the player in attempts to crush him/her to the death. It can only be defeated by making him fall into the lava that lies 12-16 layers of blocks under, and can only be achieved by bombing your way down, or making him crush (by tethering him) layer after layer of blocks to the bottom of the pit… AND… Making it to the exit alive.

If the player wants a bigger challenge (like surviving is not enough of a challenge), collecting treasure like gold and gems is the only way of building your way up the leaderboards. There is treasure (lots) in each of the levels, but if you take too much time in a level (more than 2 minutes and 30 seconds) a ghost will appear, and will slowly approach the player. It is safe to say that if she (yes, SHE) touches you, you will die instantly.

With this much variety and level of difficulty, Spelunky is a game that has to be experienced first, then learn, and if you are lucky enough, master it at the end (although even the best “Spelunkers” out there can end up dying on the first level). Only 2.3% of the 20,000+ players that have bought the game have been able to beat the game “The Hard Way”. It is a challenge indeed.

Do not let the colorful cartoony images or the very calm and adventurous soundtrack that plays lie to you. Spelunky is a very difficult and FUN game that everyone should be picking up right now, because it deserves the attention and hate and love that the community gives it.

Spelunky is hard, but fair; frustrating, but rewarding; hated, but extremely fun; limiting, but free; full of secrets, but all in plain sight.
  57. May 27, 2014
    Spelunky is a 2D platformer rougelike available for the PC and the XBox 360, and has recently been ported to the PS Vita, developed and released by indie developer Derek Yu, at Mossmouth Studios. This 2013 release is an HD remake of the original game, now known as Spelunky Classic, released in 2006, with updated graphics, improved mechanics and a bonus level for those willing to challenge King Yama and defy death itself.

"Spelunky is a unique platformer with randomized levels that offer a challenging new experience each time you play. Journey deep underground and explore fantastic places filled with all manner of monsters, traps, and treasure. You'll have complete freedom while you navigate the fully-destructible environments and master their many secrets. To stay or flee, to kill or rescue, to shop or steal... in Spelunky, the choice is yours and so are the consequences!"

Or at least that's what the store page has to say about the game.

Spelunky is decievingly cute and cheerful game, with its cartoonish graphics and bright and colorful levels. However, under this guise hides a evil and almost sadistic game.
    The game is extremely unforgiving when it comes to mistakes. One false move and you're probably going to end up impaled on some spikes.
    Being a rougelike, death is permanent and means that you must start the game from the scratch once you die.

However, I think this adds to the overall game experience, as you end up planning your moves and advance in order not only to survive, but to gather as much delicious loot as you can get your hands on.
    For most players, this game will be a trail by fire, and you will most likely die several times before you get the hang of it, so don't take it personally if you don't make it to the end immediately. You will die, that's how the game was made to be.

The game itself is relatively short, spanning 4 different areas (5 including the bonus Hell stage), consisting of 4 levels each. However, as I said before, you're going to most likely die dozens, if not hundred of times before you will actually have a shot at the final boss.
    That may sound boring, repeating the same levels over and over again, but that is where Spelunky's greatest mechanic comes into play: the randomly generated levels. Each level has certain tilesets that are shuffled and mixed randomly each time, giving you a different level each time, but with common elements that you can learn to take advantage of.

The controls are pretty solid, and any mistakes you make will almost always be your fault. The game enables you to connect a XBox 360 controller and play with that instead, which I highly recommend, since the keyboard controls are absolutely horrid.
    My issue with the keyboard controls was that I felt I was constantly struggling to keep my hands in the correct position, so I usually ended up overshooting my jumps or not sprinting at the right time. I felt like I was constantly fighting the controls.
    The end result was usually me dead, and spikes having something to do with it.

As for how intuitive the controls are, the basics you need to play the game, such as running and jumping are pretty straightforward. However, there are some more advanced tricks experienced players can use, such as aiming your throws, or boosting your jumps by stomping enemies. There is a tutorial section available for those who struggle with the controls.

Derek Yu decided to take a different artistic direction from the original game, going from the old-school retro pixel graphics, to a more cartoonish style, with vividly colored environments. This was resented by some of the more die-hard fans of the original game, but I think it works pretty well.
    The graphics are simple, but they are also highly polished, with plenty of debris and particles flying all over the place to add to the chaos.

The soundtrack is also different from the original, with more a more modern style to the original 8-bit style of Spelunky Classic. There are however some chiptune songs for some of the secrets hidden away in the game.

The game doesn't have any online multiplayer features, but it does have local co-op or deathmatch modes,

Spelunky focuses more on its gameplay than on a storyline, and honestly, there is only so much story you can cram into a platformer. The main theme of the game is that you stumble upon the mystical ruins of the great idol Olmec, and in your quest for riches and glory, you decide to challenge the ruins, and if you are brave enough, even Olmec himself!

To summarize, I think Spelunky is well worth the $15 price tag, giving hours and hours of cave-delving and loot-grabbing, lethal, fun. I've played it for over 250 hours and I still enjoy it as much as the first time I played it. I'm comfortable giving it a 10 out of 10 and giving it the title of my favorite game of all time.
    Head to the Steam Store page, and buy it now!
  58. Jul 5, 2014
    Not a bad game, but I'm giving it a 0 because it can't run very well on Windows 8. It crashes a lot. I cant even complete the tutorial without it crashing. It would also be nice to have the option to use buffs if you are bad at it to help noobs.
  59. Jul 15, 2014
    Screw the haters, this game is amazing, and if you rage quit it's you, NOT the game. With 200+ hours on it, I can firmly say that some is random, but skill means you can adapt to anything (no that arrow trap was not "unavoidable" just whip it). It takes a ridiculously long time to get good at the game, so if you don't learn to accept the (likely hundreds) of times you die before beating it ONCE, you will hate this game. Expand
  60. Jul 16, 2014
    I would have given 8 points if i could play it on my speed like i want like Isacc but i give - 6 points for this stupid time limit!

If there at least where an option fr puting the time limit off but so..... i dont like to play it
  61. Aug 2, 2014
    My game of the year. It combines the needed reflexes of Rayman Legends but is better in that it allows for exploration and even despite what I mentioned, a slower pace, everything I missed in it.
    I have found this game to be deeply rewarding, very surprising (i didn't know you could pick up rats until today), and crazy blowy uppy fun.

I hated it at first, like a lot. But I put my head
    down and played it, deciding that I had become soft and terrible at 2D platformers. But after beating the demo (quitting a few times!) I found the game to be so much more than that.

It has some balancing issues (never worth it to rob the shopkeepers) and the typical stuff you'd expect with a roguelike, but I've just reached 1000 deaths and I'm not looking back at Rayman.

Yes, I am dead serious with a 10. In the sequel though it would be nice to see some RPG elements, or perhaps more of a 'beat-em up' take on combat, or some differences in the characters abilities or maybe something like curses (a lot of roguelikes love these).
  62. Aug 19, 2014
    Good concept, but very poorly designed. Game is filled with instant death traps and randomly generated levels that don't even try to be of reasonably similar difficulty. Some levels are randomly made dark, which is a terrible mechanic for new players and shouldn't occur until players have made some progress in the game.
  63. Oct 29, 2013

1. Sep 30, 2013
    Spelunky is a great fun, but when it goes down, the fun is gone and your eye goes neurotic. Still, it ranks among the best recent platformers.
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    A few years ago, Spelunky was a unique phenomenon. Now, when its ideas have been adopted and improved upon by Super House of the Dead Ninjas, Binding of Isaac, and Rogue Legacy, this remake is simply first among equals.
  3. Sep 9, 2013
    Straightforward and replayable, Spelunky is precision engineered to make death fair, funny, and a story worth sharing.