Spelunky PC

7.2

1. May 14, 2014
    This game finds its identity in being brutally hard. There isn't really much else to it. If you don't want to do the same simple tasks over and over until you can consistently make it through levels without mistakes, this game has nothing to offer you. Most of the individual components are not difficult. The game is only difficult because you can save so rarely. I'll play a game withThis game finds its identity in being brutally hard. There isn't really much else to it. If you don't want to do the same simple tasks over and over until you can consistently make it through levels without mistakes, this game has nothing to offer you. Most of the individual components are not difficult. The game is only difficult because you can save so rarely. I'll play a game with difficulty levels, where I can choose whether I want brutal challenge or simple enjoyment, thank you. Expand
  2. Oct 30, 2013
    I've been a big fan of rouge-like games. The first one I ever played was Amulet of Yendor on a 5 1/4" floppy drive. There are two things, for me, that makes a game of this type enjoyable: One is the constant threat of danger and death awaiting every corner. Spelunky excels over and above in that aspect. After I had died 4 times in 8 minutes and had not been able to complete level 1-1 II've been a big fan of rouge-like games. The first one I ever played was Amulet of Yendor on a 5 1/4" floppy drive. There are two things, for me, that makes a game of this type enjoyable: One is the constant threat of danger and death awaiting every corner. Spelunky excels over and above in that aspect. After I had died 4 times in 8 minutes and had not been able to complete level 1-1 I understood just how complex and unforgiving this game is. I wouldn't say steep learning curve, as such things as starting on an island with 3 arrow traps and spikes on both sides for level 1-1 is not really a learning experience so much as a bad luck of the draw. You live fast, you die fast, and if you stop and take time to explore a ghost appears and one hits you.

It's for this reason that I gave Spelunky a low score, not that I died, or not that it's too hard to play. Spelunky is a reduction of a rouge-like. It's missing the 2nd thing that all rouge-likes should have: Character development. There's no off the wall classes with different abilities and weaknesses. There's no real inventory management, or stats, or ways to shape your character. It's just run through, don't stop, don't worry about the avatar, just go till you die.

I like the game play, the graphics aren't bad, the music is meh. For me though, a rouge-like game is about developing a character and living out a story. I still remember getting to the higher floors of Amulet of Yendor and opening a chest that blinded me. Or in NetHack when I had the warrior who I thought was unstoppable until I couldn't find any food and ended up eating an old corpse that poisoned me to death. The story that plays out is what keeps me invested. Since it's missing half of what makes these types of games fun for me I rated it accordingly.
  3. Jan 8, 2014
    A well crafted roguelike with a wide range of items and abilities, but ultimately an exercise in random number generation. Like so many games in this genre, "Spelunky" does not reward planning or careful use of resources so much as lucky rolls of the dice. Entertaining, to be sure, but not nearly as profound or mesmerizing as many reviews here would have you believe. That this game rates aA well crafted roguelike with a wide range of items and abilities, but ultimately an exercise in random number generation. Like so many games in this genre, "Spelunky" does not reward planning or careful use of resources so much as lucky rolls of the dice. Entertaining, to be sure, but not nearly as profound or mesmerizing as many reviews here would have you believe. That this game rates a 90 is iron-clad proof that Metacritic is populated more by marketing agencies than by actual gamers. Expand
  4. Dec 1, 2013
    gave it a whirl and well.......glad it was on sale for a few bucks. Overall from my experience I ascertain this as a repetitive 2d side scroller in the tradition of Mario, dk, castlevania, etc. without the unique variations that those titles retained. I was expecting large underground caverns and caves to explore; instead got a cramped lil area to digdug, kill a few badies, collect thegave it a whirl and well.......glad it was on sale for a few bucks. Overall from my experience I ascertain this as a repetitive 2d side scroller in the tradition of Mario, dk, castlevania, etc. without the unique variations that those titles retained. I was expecting large underground caverns and caves to explore; instead got a cramped lil area to digdug, kill a few badies, collect the same gems, and save a lost girl.

Hardly unique and inspiring for players to enjoy. One other thing...the music is atrocious, so blatant retro and painful to listen to, with all the music opts available why this? UGH!!

There is also blood so parents be warned!

I gave it a seven for the sound effects, general controls and the graphics; which were decent.
  5. Aug 28, 2013
    Well, all I can really say is that its a good game, but I find that there is no replay value. Plus, older retro style games tend to hurt my face. Yeah, thats' a thing now. Meh. It was good while it lasted, but was more of a pass time.
  6. Jan 19, 2014
    trying to be;
    A game of perfecting your ability as gamer.
    In fact: **** UI block a quarter of screen and the developer did nothing, even people said it to their face. -Some chance that the map will be 'unadvanceable' without 3-4 bombs, such as spider-map. and ruin your run -Shopkeeper who will kill you because a monster detonated TNT near his shop. (it's code that all damage or bomb
    trying to be;
    A game of perfecting your ability as gamer.

In fact:
    -Shopkeeper who will kill you because a monster detonated TNT near his shop. (it's code that all damage or bomb happen to his area are 'player doing' even it's the game coding problem).

Still a enjoyable game if you lucky not get these 'bug'.
  7. Dec 26, 2014
    Spelunky combines random instant death with start-from-the-beginning repetitiveness, which can be fun in small amounts but is ultimately tiresome. The word "roguelike" in game reviews seems to be a new way to say Unbalanced or Nintendo-Hard.
  8. Aug 10, 2016
    Spelunky is very unique, a good challenging game! it can be a lot of fun but I think is a little too hard.

The Good: -Procedure generated levels -Cute graphics -Solid engine and controls -Unlimited replayability -Very challenging -You can find/buy items that make the game more fun The Bad: -Very annoying repetitive music(This is the main thing that I disliked about this game,

The Good:
    -Procedure generated levels
    -Cute graphics
    -Solid engine and controls
    -Unlimited replayability
    -Very challenging
    -You can find/buy items that make the game more fun

The Bad:
    -Very annoying repetitive music(This is the main thing that I disliked about this game, if it wasn't for this I would have play it more)
    -Really hard and unforgiving
    -No sense of progression, same thing over and over again with no purpose... I haven't unlocked anything, since I started playing.
    -All playable characters felt exactly the same

9. Mar 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers. Spelunky

A very difficult platformer with roguelike elements, based on "La Mulana" and "Net-Hack", this game provides procedurally (random) generated set of levels each time a new "adventure" is started, and permanent death (no checkpoints between levels, means that the player starts from 0 each adventure). The lack of forgiveness, the amount of dangers, the replay value and the (very) steep learning curve, make this game the go-to choice for any fan of platform games.

From the beginning of the game the player is presented with a tutorial that explains the few, yet deep, mechanics of the game. The player is given a set of basic abilities like Jumping, Running, Whipping, Throwing/placing Bombs (because ALL THE LEVELS ARE FULLY DESTRUCTIBLE) and Ropes, and Crawling. All of these abilities have basic purposes in the survival of the player, and most of them can be modified with the help of other items throughout the whole game. Some dangers are shown to the player as well, which can be very varied, although initially only bats and snakes are introduced (shop keepers are shown as well, but most players choose to ignore them). Other dangers like traps (triggered by Indiana Jones-like idols)
    and spikes that sit there waiting for the player to fall into them. It is worth noticing that even though the player is given a certain amount of health and some particular ways of recovering it (tedious ones), some enemies and traps can easily one-shot the player into oblivion.

When the player embarks on a real adventure, he/she will have to survive through 16 different levels to be able to finish the game, although there is an extension of 4 secret levels more that has to be achieved through the game’s hardest means. In total, there are at least 20 “normal” levels, other 5 (very) secret ones that are well hidden, and 7+ “level feelings” that are well scattered that make every single adventure unique.

The levels are set in 4 floors per level and 4 levels per set of levels, and each set of levels has its own theme; there are the mines, the jungle, the ice caves and the temple initially. Each level starts at the top floor, where the player is put to the task of surviving the descent to the bottom of the level, and arriving to the exit ALIVE. The starting health of the overall adventure is 4 hp (health points), and the damage done by “small” enemies is 1, arrow traps and giant spiders hit for 2 hp, being crushed by a block/enemy or falling into a spike trap = instant death, falling into lava = instant death, exploding a bomb too close to you is 5 hp less. Let’s just say that it is easier to die than it is to live, since the main source of recovering health, is to bring the “damsel” located… somewhere in the level to the exit, going to the exit, and then transition to this next level, the player will be granted 1+ health. It is worth saying as well that there is ONLY 1 damsel per level, and that damsel will give ONLY 1 health to the player.
    “Yet another stupid death” (YASD) is a very common phrase that can be heard between players to explain how the run went.
    Despite survival being the main topic throughout the levels, on level 16, there is one of the only boss fights in the game, where the player is not tasked only by surviving, but by killing/defeating one of the only obstacles left in the game; OLMEC, a giant head (made of gold) that jumps towards the player in attempts to crush him/her to the death. It can only be defeated by making him fall into the lava that lies 12-16 layers of blocks under, and can only be achieved by bombing your way down, or making him crush (by tethering him) layer after layer of blocks to the bottom of the pit… AND… Making it to the exit alive.

If the player wants a bigger challenge (like surviving is not enough of a challenge), collecting treasure like gold and gems is the only way of building your way up the leaderboards. There is treasure (lots) in each of the levels, but if you take too much time in a level (more than 2 minutes and 30 seconds) a ghost will appear, and will slowly approach the player. It is safe to say that if she (yes, SHE) touches you, you will die instantly.

With this much variety and level of difficulty, Spelunky is a game that has to be experienced first, then learn, and if you are lucky enough, master it at the end (although even the best “Spelunkers” out there can end up dying on the first level). Only 2.3% of the 20,000+ players that have bought the game have been able to beat the game “The Hard Way”. It is a challenge indeed.

Do not let the colorful cartoony images or the very calm and adventurous soundtrack that plays lie to you. Spelunky is a very difficult and FUN game that everyone should be picking up right now, because it deserves the attention and hate and love that the community gives it.

Spelunky is hard, but fair; frustrating, but rewarding; hated, but extremely fun; limiting, but free; full of secrets, but all in plain sight.

1. Oct 23, 2014
    Excellent randomly generated level design and very high difficulty. There is no doubt that Spelunky is one of the greatest 2D roguelike platforms ever created.
  2. Sep 30, 2013
    Spelunky is a great fun, but when it goes down, the fun is gone and your eye goes neurotic. Still, it ranks among the best recent platformers.
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    A few years ago, Spelunky was a unique phenomenon. Now, when its ideas have been adopted and improved upon by Super House of the Dead Ninjas, Binding of Isaac, and Rogue Legacy, this remake is simply first among equals.