Spore PC

5.2

1. AlexandreD.
    Sep 10, 2008
    You can create a lot and do a little. Gameplay is repetitive and boring. Creation does not impact your creature behavior thoroughly. The evolution concept is not really implemented. Each phase is poorer than similar one in other game. The creative stuff os the only interesting part of the game. It's a sandbox with non challenge.
  2. JonathanH.
    Sep 18, 2008
    Some nice ideas, but it's over simplified and offers nothing for long term appeal.
  3. J
    Sep 18, 2008
    The game has its ups and downs. Firstly this is a game that allows you to customize every small bit of your civilization, from your peoples to your buildings which is great. The game really lacks in its actual gameplay. The Cell stage was quite fun and was what I expected. The creature stage could have been longer, with more intricate hunting and evolutionary stages in development as well The game has its ups and downs. Firstly this is a game that allows you to customize every small bit of your civilization, from your peoples to your buildings which is great. The game really lacks in its actual gameplay. The Cell stage was quite fun and was what I expected. The creature stage could have been longer, with more intricate hunting and evolutionary stages in development as well as more then just socializing and attacking. However, this is where the game basically stops. The Tribal Stage, Civilization Stage both lack any complexity whatsoever. The words point and click to kill come to mind as a pathetic attempt at RTS strategy is created. Really both stages could have been massively longer and had potential to be fun long stages of the game. Not 30 minutes of boredom. The Space stage has more qualms, with the constant attacks, the unreliability of your alies and the constant war as well as a difficulty curve thats as jagged as a crystal. The game is innovative and really more draws you to the creature, building creators rather then the Grox infested Universe. With so much hype on this game EA has taken something which should have been amazing and garbaged it. However, the new approach to gaming in this way gives it a few extra points. Expand
  4. Apr 1, 2013
    Instead of giving us good content through one age, average at best content are spreaded out across five dull eras and a really boring repetitive space age.
  5. Dec 20, 2012
    First impressions of this game were great but eventually some fatal flaws came to surface which can't really be ignored. The premise is amazing and handled quite well, when I started up a new game of this recently I got chills seeing the meteor in the opening cinematic. The game feels like it is rushed to the space stage though and that the other four stages are all leading up to theFirst impressions of this game were great but eventually some fatal flaws came to surface which can't really be ignored. The premise is amazing and handled quite well, when I started up a new game of this recently I got chills seeing the meteor in the opening cinematic. The game feels like it is rushed to the space stage though and that the other four stages are all leading up to the actual beginning of the game. This is most obvious in stage four where halfway through it actually gives you the option to fast-track the rest of the stage and begin your space adventure. This wouldn't be the worst thing if they hadn't made huge errors in the gameplay for the space stage. The first is the Grox, who you are advised to seek out by your own empire. However these guys will go to war with you for very little reason and when they do it's more or less game over unless you're willing to put up with their constant invasions for the rest of your playing time. That brings me to the other huge problem here and that is that you are the only member of your species who can do anything. If an ecological disaster strikes and 5 animals need killing, rather than send out an extermination team from the nearest city, they recall you from lightyears away to smash the poor creatures with the laser on your starship and they get annoyed with you if this seems an unreasonable request. Spore is a fun game with a great premise but it rushes you to the space stage where unless you really know what you're doing and are willing to put up with unnecessary micro-management, you will probably find yourself giving up on that particular save. Expand
  6. Jan 21, 2013
    This game is a series of 5 minigames tied together. There is a great concept of evolving through time and the game succeeds in customization as you have full control over how everything in your culture looks from armor to buildings and vehicles. Beyond that, the gameplay is bland. The first stage reminds me of an old flash game I used to play online. Just swim around, eat, and thenThis game is a series of 5 minigames tied together. There is a great concept of evolving through time and the game succeeds in customization as you have full control over how everything in your culture looks from armor to buildings and vehicles. Beyond that, the gameplay is bland. The first stage reminds me of an old flash game I used to play online. Just swim around, eat, and then automatically grow. The other levels don't bring more excitement and often feel like a grind. It's too bad this game missed the mark. Expand
  7. Aug 8, 2014
    Spore is game about the evolution life creature and the history of fist creature on planet. This game is good, i think. Maybe if i can play online is much better.
  8. Feb 10, 2014
    My eight year old self adored this game, as a nerdy gamer child who liked to play God. Some say the promotional demos played by Wil and some of the team were better than the final product and they are right. The original tech demos were amazing and looked like they could have been one of the greatest games of all time. The end product is a slightly watered down, childish version of theMy eight year old self adored this game, as a nerdy gamer child who liked to play God. Some say the promotional demos played by Wil and some of the team were better than the final product and they are right. The original tech demos were amazing and looked like they could have been one of the greatest games of all time. The end product is a slightly watered down, childish version of the demos; but it's a fun watered down, childish version of the demos. Expand
  9. Feb 4, 2015
    I don't get it. Maybe we humans are just morons in general, but calling this game the worst thing ever since Marmite is just moronic.

Sure, there are some bad (and a bit terrible) aspects of the game but most people that wrote all those negative reviews are mostly like: Derr i liek eggs huehuheuhuehe. But here i am, a "sentient" human with enough intelligence to give this game a

But here i am, a "sentient" human with enough intelligence to give this game a legit review.
    A simple note here: my reviews tend to be short and only mention the things a new player needs to know about before jumping into a world with, let's say armageddon/hippieland.

To start off, this game starts you off as a cell who either eats plants that float around in the water or pieces of flesh that you have ripped off from your enemies, this is mostly what determines what your creature(s) eat in the rest of the evolution that you tak part in. You can also be an omnivore if you collect a certain item or equip two items separately.

Let's smash-cut to the creature stage where you will be presented with a 3D world for you are free to explore, unlike the 2.5D that you swim around in as a cell. You collect parts from skeletons to upgrade your creature or get them form befriended alpha-creatures/an entire species. You befriend them with sick moves, charming pedophile-like eyes, flexing with your posable body, and making an outright ruckus with your (un)godly voice.

Or if you prefer the violent way of dealing with things you can slaughter everything you see, ripping off parts from your enemies and devouring their hearts as you advance in the epic tale of the complete psycho, which you might be.

Violently panning to tribal stage, this is where things take a turn (for the best) in which: you will be controlling your tribe in a sort of, strategy game. Conquer other tribes with force (which is the harder option) or get close to them and make them your allies with music.

Another time-warp to the Civlisation-stage where you've got your first city and with that in mind, you basically repeat the tribal-stage but with a much larger area to take control of. A much moreb boring stage basically.

I am getting tired of writing this much while i really don't care, i mean. This does nothing other than giving this game a better score than most "people" think. Whuh....

Fine, whatever. In the space stage you.... ahg! **** it, You colonize planets, complete tasks for your fellow mates, befriend other space-dudes (or kill em') and some ****

Here's a summary:

pros:

1) A lot of creation involved.
    2) Interesting story
    3) Nice expansion packs

cons:

1) Community is full of people who gave this game all o' them reviews
    2) D*ckmonsters

A very shortened review to say the least. But there's nothing i can do. This game is golden in my eyes but no-one seems to agree.
    I don't know what to say basically (i'm just very lazy)
    I gave this game a higher score than planned because of it's user-rating. So, yeah.
  10. AnthonyB.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Meh. For a game of such scope it strangely has limited depth. A surprise - but not a welcome one.
  11. May 21, 2012
    It's not for everyone. The creature and space stage is the most interesting, while the cell stage served well as mini game. Creature creator probably one of the best sandbox I've seen lately. The rest? Meh
  12. Jul 20, 2012
    First off: I was so so disappointed in this game. Brilliant concept, but terrible terrible game. I feel it was intentionally dumbed down from the start with the intention of selling loads of add-ons and DLC. It was SO dumbed down that there's hardly much game at all there - at least in the initial launch. I gave up on it - very unrewarding gameplay. I expected sandbox, not constantFirst off: I was so so disappointed in this game. Brilliant concept, but terrible terrible game. I feel it was intentionally dumbed down from the start with the intention of selling loads of add-ons and DLC. It was SO dumbed down that there's hardly much game at all there - at least in the initial launch. I gave up on it - very unrewarding gameplay. I expected sandbox, not constant conflict/pirates/eco-missions, but by the time you get powerful enough to play a sandbox game there's nothing left but repetition of the same. The quotes "You've got a whole galaxy to do nothing in" are true. It's like playing Tic-Tac-Toe for the 1000th time. All the same.
    But the game's not all bad. What's good? The creature creators. Before the game was released I had a blast building creatures that I expected would be part of my gameworld (only a few of the 100s I created actually showed up in my game). I've definitely spent more time building creatures and spaceships than I spent playing the "game". I give it 4 because I did have alot of fun with the creature creators, but don't expect much of a game here unless you're 8yrs old. Anyhow, that's my $0.02
  13. PatrickKelly
    Sep 10, 2008
    Spore could have been a great game. It could have been exciting, entertaining, and in-depth. However, EA deliberately dumbed-down the game, hoping to appeal to a wider audience. With the creature creator simplified to nothing more than paper dolls with window dressing, there's really no reason to play Spore. I'm sorry, but I'd rather play any number of free point-and-clickSpore could have been a great game. It could have been exciting, entertaining, and in-depth. However, EA deliberately dumbed-down the game, hoping to appeal to a wider audience. With the creature creator simplified to nothing more than paper dolls with window dressing, there's really no reason to play Spore. I'm sorry, but I'd rather play any number of free point-and-click flash games than the dumbed-down Pac-Man that's stage 1. I'd rather play any one of the thousands of third-person action games than the oversimplified, dumbed-down 3PA game that's stage 2. I'd rather play any one of the hundreds of great RTS games on the market than the oversimplified, dumbed-down RTS that's stage 3. I'd rather play Civ II, III, or IV than the oversimplified, dumbed-down 4X game that's stage 4. And I'd rather play any number of more-mundane-work-than-fun MMORPG games than the repetitive, cookie-cutter-grind-quest Galaxy stage.

Spore is a game for people who don't play games. It's simply uninteresting, uninspired, and clearly aimed at people who are unaware of, unable to, or unwilling to play the hundreds of deeper, more rewarding games that Spore has so clumsily aped for each of its stages.
  14. NikoPapanikos
    Sep 27, 2008
    This game's best assets are the online play. Being able 2 share creatures and all other creations is very fun. The creation mode is great, so anyone looking for a creative game to play, this would be your pick.

The reason i only Give this game a 7 is because the actual game play of the game is pretty boring. The initial stage has some real cool animations, zooming out as you get larger, but it gets old fast. I would say avoid the game and just create things to share with your friends. Thats where the fun is.
  15. HelloGoodbye
    Sep 14, 2008
    Spore is one of the most unique games ever created. Absolutely brilliant. Warning! Spore is not for anyone. you must be a creative and imaginative person to really play this game. This game is all about creating ridiculous species and plants. YOU GET TO MOLD AND SHAPE PLANETS o.O Now the game is severly bugged mind you. Which is to be expected... the game is a 3D modeling engine much Spore is one of the most unique games ever created. Absolutely brilliant. Warning! Spore is not for anyone. you must be a creative and imaginative person to really play this game. This game is all about creating ridiculous species and plants. YOU GET TO MOLD AND SHAPE PLANETS o.O Now the game is severly bugged mind you. Which is to be expected... the game is a 3D modeling engine much similiar to Maya, 3DS, and/or XSI. These programs use billions of calculus and physics equations every time you create an object. If it does too much it goes wacko. Much like the those modeling programs i stated earlier do when you work on them. The whole "they keep attacking me and i only have time to do that" attack at them focus mainly on their colony bomb the colony drop a colony pack heal and go for the next planet... Homeworlds... terraform them to T0 then leave planet and reenter and only one outpost to kill now. Each stage is a different genre so some will appeal to some and some will not appeal to others... Its a game of personal oppinion. Play a stage, make a creature and/or vehicle and make up your own mind. I think its brilliant even with its flaws Expand
  16. JeffK.
    Sep 17, 2008
    It's a pretty innovative game, I'll give it that. Unfortunately, it's just not all that fun. Based on the fun factor alone, I'd give it a 5, which to me isn't bad, just very average, bland. But I had to give it a few extra points because it is an innovative game.
  17. LavinD.
    Sep 10, 2008
    For the past few years, we have been dreaming about free-form liberty games, in which anything is possible and there is a dynamic story. First, it was the Sims and then GTA, and no better than ever its SPORE, Welcome to the future of gaming.
  18. ApuN.
    Sep 9, 2008
    The graphicson the game are outstanding and the gameplay is excellent. You can't find a better game than that in the whole universe. SPORE RULES!!
  19. AlB.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Groundbreaking science game. The detail is outstanding. Wish for better controls, custom options and multiple save files. DRM sucks.
  20. FabianO.
    Oct 3, 2008
    A consistently charming and affectionate portrayal of the coming of life to the world. Contains a perfect sense of scale, equally bonding you to your creature and marveling you with the scale of the world. A must buy.
  21. MarkG
    Oct 30, 2008
    If you're looking for a capable and creative tool to share your own creations with the rest of the world, or you want a fun way to educate your kids in the theory of evolution, Spore is definitely recommended in that regard. If you're looking for an exciting and challenging game which will test your skills (and not your patience), Spore might not be it - but then again, a lot of If you're looking for a capable and creative tool to share your own creations with the rest of the world, or you want a fun way to educate your kids in the theory of evolution, Spore is definitely recommended in that regard. If you're looking for an exciting and challenging game which will test your skills (and not your patience), Spore might not be it - but then again, a lot of Maxis games aren't nowadays. Expand
  22. JennyS.
    Oct 4, 2008
    This would have been the perfect game by my standards, I did not encounter any problems with it, there are afew things that are missing, i would preferr a greater interaction between allies, the role of being a merchant, biiologist, relics collector and a warrior is too much, the allies should cooperated together. I do enjoy playing it.
  23. OliV
    Sep 10, 2008
    Very original, and a great game! First four phases are a great build up to the amazing space stage. Best game I have played in a long time, and I don't think there'll be anything more epic, fun and creative for a long time.
  24. AndreasK.
    Sep 10, 2008
    As long as you see Spore for what it is and not for what you wanted it to be (in which case you will naturally be disappointed), you will find a very good and entertaining game. However, this game actually requires the player to PLAY, a thing a lot of people can't cope with. It's like a box of LEGO blocks. If you have no fantasy and imagination whatsoever, then you will As long as you see Spore for what it is and not for what you wanted it to be (in which case you will naturally be disappointed), you will find a very good and entertaining game. However, this game actually requires the player to PLAY, a thing a lot of people can't cope with. It's like a box of LEGO blocks. If you have no fantasy and imagination whatsoever, then you will naturally find the "gameplay" with them shallow and boring. Expand
  25. Anth_87
    Sep 10, 2008
    Very original idea with about as much replayability that a single-player game can afford. To those people complaining that each of the 5 stages aren't very deep, wake up to yourselves. It's 1 game, not 5 games in one! Of course each stage is going to lack depth, but the very fact that you get to play all five negates that. If you want deep games in each category, then go out and Very original idea with about as much replayability that a single-player game can afford. To those people complaining that each of the 5 stages aren't very deep, wake up to yourselves. It's 1 game, not 5 games in one! Of course each stage is going to lack depth, but the very fact that you get to play all five negates that. If you want deep games in each category, then go out and buy 5 of them! Well done Will Wright, fantastic game. Expand
  26. JeffreyC.
    Sep 15, 2008
    This is a game that's like no other. The originality of the game and the broadness of the game makes it a great game worth playing. The game stages run through many genres. The only issue is its ambition is more than the practicality of the gameplay.
  27. Sébastien
    Sep 10, 2008
    More less fun than a SimCity or The Sims. The gameplay is pretty light and has been sacrificed for god damned "casual-gaming". The only cool stuffs are editors and the whole sharing system. SimCreation instead ? Will Wright made better games before.
  28. PhilB
    Sep 10, 2008
    Absolutely brilliant - every time you play it its different all the stages are shockingly unique and will take you a long time to beat it. 10 / 10
  29. Sadron
    Sep 30, 2008
    The game was designed for a casual open-minded audience, I.E., not you hardcore foaming mouth thickies. 9/10, some flaws, but a wondrous package all together.
  30. TravisS.
    Sep 4, 2008
    An amazing game from start to finish. Taking time to create your own world and play in it is a unique experience. This game is not meant to be played from start to finish like a traditional linear game. Spore is a game about creating your own story, your own adventure, and your own goals. After over ten hours of none stop play I can assure you. If you treat this game like a traditional An amazing game from start to finish. Taking time to create your own world and play in it is a unique experience. This game is not meant to be played from start to finish like a traditional linear game. Spore is a game about creating your own story, your own adventure, and your own goals. After over ten hours of none stop play I can assure you. If you treat this game like a traditional gamer, you will be disappointed. This is coming from an avid gamer since the ATARI 2600. However, creating everything and exploring the world around you is one of the most satisfying experience I have had in gaming history. What are you waiting for, go pick it up. Expand
  31. BPET
    Sep 7, 2008
    PROS: Pretty design Nice interface Nice sound Idea that sounds very good Very nice optimization CONS: To easy WAAAY to easy Very repetitive The creatures/building/vechicles deisgn lose flavor way to soon Basicly, the hype was there. It sounded very promising but it has no gameplay. The funniest part is the cell stage that ends to soon.
  32. ShadwuL.
    Sep 7, 2008
    First two stages were good, but when it turned into rts it sucked so much. And it is too simple. Simple RTS=omfg.
  33. Jan 20, 2013
    Spore was definitely a long waited game by MAXIS. It was a fresh entry to the gaming world. Its take on evolution and civilization was great. It presented a funny and interesting view on how organisms interact and progress through life. With these great qualities said, SPORE unfortunately was not all that great. Lets take it generation by generation: The microbial stage was pretty fun. ItSpore was definitely a long waited game by MAXIS. It was a fresh entry to the gaming world. Its take on evolution and civilization was great. It presented a funny and interesting view on how organisms interact and progress through life. With these great qualities said, SPORE unfortunately was not all that great. Lets take it generation by generation: The microbial stage was pretty fun. It involved your player simply eating and surviving, the main objective for any organism. It was an arcade stylish adventure. It was quite simple yet a little boring after awhile. The land stage was pretty similar, how ever things got a bit more challenging. Interaction with other species, whether your fighting them or socializing, made the game quite fun in that aspect, but again it was all just too simple and not challenging. The civilization stage was very boring in my eyes. It was a simple take on the strategy genre; make units and either fight or convert. The space stage was a bit fun, but again it was all too similar to the civilization stage in that you either traded and became friends with other species or attacked.

As I summed up the levels of play, it was all in fact not challenging at all, granted there were some times that your character gets killed in the early stages, but thats it. You just restart and do the same thing again. It is all too simple in that a player can easily wipe out all other civilizations and species to dominate the globe, I found it pointless to be the peaceful, especially since the objectives never change, it was simply "Be the only one standing", so why do anything but destroy the other civilizations or species. The evolution qualities were quite fun to add to your creature as it grew, but there was not alot of variety. It ended up being pointless by the time your creature evolved to civilization. Creating your units and buildings were the same. It didn't matter how many wheels or guns you put on your vehicle since they all had the same attack and movement. I felt it took every bit of creativity out of this game, and designing was completely pointless. The AI was not challenging at all in any of the stages which just made the game into an interesting educational game.

SPORE had alot riding on it. It was a great idea for the gaming world, especially for me since I always fascinated by a evolution sim game, and who better to do it than the creators of The SIMS. How ever this game fell very short of great. There could have been alot more done to this game to make it great.

I say this game is average for the average gamer. You dont have to be a hardcore shooter or a deep thinking micro strategist to enjoy it. The presentation of it offers alot, but there is not much variety to game play. Hopefully another addition to the gaming world like spore will come along, but present a better quality game.
  34. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is really bad. You get many mini-games but every one of them is bad. This game plays like bunch of free web games putted to gather. What a trash game.
  35. BrianK
    Sep 13, 2008
    Incredibly disappointing gameplay.
    1) Cell Stage - fun for 5 minutes, after that its rather pointless
    2) Creature Stage - this is really the meat of spore - your evolutionary choices actually matter here. Unfortunately the gameplay is rather stale. 3) Tribal Stage - one of the worst strategy games I have played - the interface, camera controls, and minimap controls are horrible. Whats
    Incredibly disappointing gameplay.
    1) Cell Stage - fun for 5 minutes, after that its rather pointless
    3) Tribal Stage - one of the worst strategy games I have played - the interface, camera controls, and minimap controls are horrible. Whats worse is that everyone's creatures are pretty much equal - technology may make a difference, but the giant claw creature should have some sort of attacking advantage against the round, fat, weaponless creature.
    4) Civ Stage - no citybuilding here. All of your designs and your creature are not purely asethetic. There are some minor vehicle differences, but the gameplay is so simple it doesn't really matter. Spore outdoes itself by providing an even worse strategy experience before. Luckily the game provides an 'i win' button - literally, a button you can push to just win at a certain point.
    5) Space Stage - talk about disappointing. Again, all of your design chioces are aesthetic only. You can have a flying cube as your spaceship and still be fine. Want to play around in the 'sandbox' that is supposed to be the spacestage - terraform and such? Well, you can't without money. And to get money you have to play a rather dull risk-esque game. Whats worse is that you have to micromanage everything. For some reason your all-powerful space-faring empire can only field one ship - you. You can't build fleets to take care of pirates, or eco-disasters, or even collect revenue from your planets. Nope - you have to do everything. Trade routes don't even give you money. If you want to actually explore there is no way to do it without constantly losing colonies.

Besides the disaster of the gameplay, the DRM is horrible and you cannot install Spore on more than one computer, or have more than one account. So if you want to share it with a family member - too bad. You can't.

The only reason this gets 2 stars instead of 1 is because its mildly entertaining to play through once ...
    Oh - and it will often crash on mac. And, if you want to install it on windows it will require 9 GB of free space, not 4 like the box says (the EA download manager requires an extra 5 GB to install).
  36. disspointedgamer
    Sep 12, 2008
    Creators don't redeem it. absolutely terribly frustrating gameplay throughout.

Creators don't redeem it. absolutely terribly frustrating gameplay throughout.

Space phase is the greatest letdown in video game history. Constantly being attacked by space pirates and civilizations you didnt do anything to. no way to trade easily. if you're trade "route" is completed with another star system, you're given the option to buy it. if you give them an offer they don't like you cant try again and have to build the trade route again which takes like 30 minutes. DON"T buy this game if you like having fun. play galactic cicilizations it's way better.
  37. May 21, 2011
    Why such a genial and complex idea has to be brutally trivialized and simplified to such a ridiculous extend? This game bored me really really fast and editing the creature was actually the most enjoyable part of it. The rest is a boring and repeatable game that uses same old rts schemes one can see in so many games, but implemented very poorly and limited to its rudimentary options.
  38. Feb 15, 2011
    Without knowing about the E3 2005 to 2007 version, I would rate this game 8 out of 10, but then, I was disappointed that the Spore in the released version has the limit on the complexity of the creator, one of the main letdown to me. Another things that weren't as great as the beta version in my opinion is that it doesn't have great visuals, and the actings of those creatures are a littleWithout knowing about the E3 2005 to 2007 version, I would rate this game 8 out of 10, but then, I was disappointed that the Spore in the released version has the limit on the complexity of the creator, one of the main letdown to me. Another things that weren't as great as the beta version in my opinion is that it doesn't have great visuals, and the actings of those creatures are a little too stupid, and usually their arms act the some and often the legs acts the same. Another main letdown is that their voice acting are stupid and repeatably. This cause me always have to playing it without the sounds or listening other sounds.
    When I started playing, I thought it was great, and also by looking the offical reviews, they are also having high ratings. Seriously, why is this so great anyway? I need to use some hack to make no limitation in creature creator, and those creatures aren't normal creatures. They are stupid, allying with others are too easy, and attacks are not good enough. Even it's got infinite possibilities, it's still not good enough.
  39. TomHanssen
    Sep 12, 2008
    I'm rating a 0 because they purposely cut half the game out before release too later include in expansions to collect more cash.

Maxis partnered with EA's plan is a marketing plan and distanced itself as a friendly gaming company into how much money can we starve out of this. Unless a service pack comes out for the game that removes DRM, places all the content they took out, fixes all the countless crashes in Space stage, I don't suggest buying it.
  40. MatthewB.
    Sep 7, 2008
    feels like 5 different (and unremarkable) games thrown together. There is little continuity between each level: something that's particularly apparent in the transition between tribal and civ stages. Did it matter that my tribe was peace-loving as my tanks roll over yet another enemy city at the civ stage? I don't think so. On the plus side: an excellent music system devised by feels like 5 different (and unremarkable) games thrown together. There is little continuity between each level: something that's particularly apparent in the transition between tribal and civ stages. Did it matter that my tribe was peace-loving as my tanks roll over yet another enemy city at the civ stage? I don't think so. On the plus side: an excellent music system devised by Brian Eno; highly intuitive interface; great (if rather American cutesy) graphics. In summary this is a nice diversion for a few days. Sadly, it is not the genre-shifting epic game people were hoping for. Expand
  41. MarkL
    Jan 6, 2010
    Despite the publicity and "uniqueness", Spore sucks. It's boring, extremely simple, buggy, and just flat bad. There are about three buttons repeated throughout just about the whole game. The creature creator is nice, but ultimately pointless. A massive letdown.
  42. ChrisM
    Nov 10, 2008
    Its a good game overall. I agree, the depth could have been much more engrossing, but again, Will Wright was forced to make the game friendly for everyone. The scope is fascinating, and with a little more time, some expansions, maybe a whole new sequel for us more hardcore players, it would be everything anyone could want
  43. ToddS
    Sep 22, 2008
    This is a wonderful game. It's not totally nihilistic in that you have options for making allies and avoiding conflict. It gives a slight sense of the fun God must have had putting life forms together. You also don't spend all of your time destroying and killing (but you can if you want to). My son loves this as do I. It's neat to try on different roles (egThis is a wonderful game. It's not totally nihilistic in that you have options for making allies and avoiding conflict. It gives a slight sense of the fun God must have had putting life forms together. You also don't spend all of your time destroying and killing (but you can if you want to). My son loves this as do I. It's neat to try on different roles (eg carnivore/predator/aggressor vs vegetarian/ diplomat) and see how it effects your evolution as a species/lifeform/civilization.

Also, alot has been said about EA's "draconian" DRM. I say bollocks! It's no less user unfriendly tha Steam and Their download policy isn't as sucktacular as people let on. Personally, I found EA to be easy to work with.
  44. ThomasC.
    Sep 8, 2008
    Original, but found it boring running around making friends with other life forms or killing and eating them. Reminds me a lot of the Sims.
  45. Oct 8, 2011
    I was waiting about 2 years for this game to come out. Few months before the premiere I couldn't stop thinking about it. But after the premiere...at first I was like "Omg I finnaly have it! Weeee!" after installation and playing a bit "Wait, where is all this content, where is realistic evolution and all this epic stuff they told they will implent in the game?" after few days I knew thatI was waiting about 2 years for this game to come out. Few months before the premiere I couldn't stop thinking about it. But after the premiere...at first I was like "Omg I finnaly have it! Weeee!" after installation and playing a bit "Wait, where is all this content, where is realistic evolution and all this epic stuff they told they will implent in the game?" after few days I knew that buying this game was a huge waste of money. The creators are awesome, but the game itself sucks. So many things has been cut from the game before relasing it...it could have been an awesome game. I've bought the expansion (not the new body parts though cuz it was damn expensive for such a little addon) hoping it will fix the game but it didn't. It's a good game for 10 yrs old kid but for older people it will seem silly and too much childish. **** EA for what they done with this game. Of course the reason for ****ing it up was money, the childish game about creating funny creatures and dominating the space (which is so repetitive boring and definitely not realistic) would make more money! I doubt it did though, but they've managed to break the game. I don't recommend it unless you're buying a present for someone who is Expand
  46. Aug 30, 2012
    The fact some people says this game is fantastic is just an evidence some comments are made by the producer.
    The fact so much review from 'professionals' are positive are the evidence there is some kind of bribery in the sector.
    One word: CRAP.
  47. Apr 10, 2011
    Where is the game that Will Wright showed off in the pre-release trailers? It's not what ended up in the final product. The only remaining vestige of the game that we saw in the pre-release trailers is the cell stage- where it actually matters what parts you choose, and where you place them. Beyond that, it's "Oh, let's make my character look pretty". I'm sorry, but that doesn'tWhere is the game that Will Wright showed off in the pre-release trailers? It's not what ended up in the final product. The only remaining vestige of the game that we saw in the pre-release trailers is the cell stage- where it actually matters what parts you choose, and where you place them. Beyond that, it's "Oh, let's make my character look pretty". I'm sorry, but that doesn't interest me. Where you place arms, legs, head- it doesn't matter beyond the cell stage. Playing up through the space stage was mildly entertaining the first time through- but that's about all it's worth. I'm giving this a 1 due to the fact I felt like the developers gutted the best portion of this game- evolution. I am deeply disappointed. Expand
  48. Dec 27, 2011
    Spore is a 5 stage evolution game that sucks. The game begins with you selecting a world to play in the massive galaxy. This is completely irrelevant, as the only differences between worlds are the color of the ocean and ground. Then you are in the cell stage. The idea is to collect food and evolve your creature. So you will decide if you want to be a carnivore or herbivore. This is doneSpore is a 5 stage evolution game that sucks. The game begins with you selecting a world to play in the massive galaxy. This is completely irrelevant, as the only differences between worlds are the color of the ocean and ground. Then you are in the cell stage. The idea is to collect food and evolve your creature. So you will decide if you want to be a carnivore or herbivore. This is done through selecting a mouth style. Herbivores will spend this part of the game finding plants to eat, and carnivores will attack the other cell creatures. While cool at first, there are only a dozen or so creatures in this stage to attack. They are cool to see at first, but after seeing the same things a dozen times over, they lose their magic. Upon eating enough food, you will grow in size and be able to edit your species. You can add different eyes, and other attachments. They do things like make you faster, or able to kill faster. The problem is that none of these choices are permanent. You don't decide at one point in the stage that you are a herbivore, you can change any time you level up. So itâ Expand
  49. Dec 28, 2011
    Many people who complain about how much the game has downgraded since the 2005 version forget that it's still a GOOD game overall. The core game is really more of a pleasant distraction; the true appeal lies in the creators, which allow you to create anything - anything at all - if you're creative enough. Still, there's something succinctly endearing about watching your own creation growMany people who complain about how much the game has downgraded since the 2005 version forget that it's still a GOOD game overall. The core game is really more of a pleasant distraction; the true appeal lies in the creators, which allow you to create anything - anything at all - if you're creative enough. Still, there's something succinctly endearing about watching your own creation grow and mature as you guide it from microbe to spaceman. It could do with expansion and development of the core concept, and I would be lying if I were to say that I wouldn't welcome a more fleshed-out creature stage, but the things that are lacking aren't strictly needed. All in all, this is an engrossing, likable envisionment of a wonderful concept that will appeal most to the casual demographic. Expand
  50. Jun 2, 2011
    I feel cheated. I was promised a revolutionary, unique game, instead I got sold a child game... Thats what it is. Its basically 5 extremely easy mini games in one, plus this anti-creative "creature creation". Pick 5 random animals that come to your head, then try make them in this creator, you can't, this game only allows you make some unrealistic freaks that all look similiar. This is theI feel cheated. I was promised a revolutionary, unique game, instead I got sold a child game... Thats what it is. Its basically 5 extremely easy mini games in one, plus this anti-creative "creature creation". Pick 5 random animals that come to your head, then try make them in this creator, you can't, this game only allows you make some unrealistic freaks that all look similiar. This is the biggest disappointment in gaming history, not worst game ever though, if they said it was supposed to be an game for children in the first place, it could aim for best one ever, but it pretends to be what its not. I beated the game in one day, not even a day but few hours, i didnt launch it ever since then. If you want to buy it for your 8 year old kid, go for it, but if youre a gamer and looking for a good game, forget about it. Expand
  51. Mar 12, 2011
    Spore is a brilliant game the first time you play it. Afterwards, its just boring and far, far, far, far, far, far too easy. The game's graphics are extremely childish and unrealistic but that said the concept of the game and its gameplay is really good. Creating a creature is tons of fun and then being able to play as it, be it herbivore, carnivore or omnivore but some of the controls areSpore is a brilliant game the first time you play it. Afterwards, its just boring and far, far, far, far, far, far too easy. The game's graphics are extremely childish and unrealistic but that said the concept of the game and its gameplay is really good. Creating a creature is tons of fun and then being able to play as it, be it herbivore, carnivore or omnivore but some of the controls are rather...dogy. The game has a lot of possibilites but had a lot of potential it hasn't met. Its surprising the game is 4 years old already! Its seems like only last year when i bought it for the first time. Its a good game, not brilliant but its creativity and concept do give it some credit. Its a game more for children - EA really has centred on child safety and friendly games, especially on Spore. Expand
  52. ben
    Apr 19, 2009
    All in all not a BAD game but as many people have said the addons or expectations are what killed it but with the expectations it should be a very good game however i would of liked to see a more auqadic stage i mead you go from a about 10 cellular thing to a little guy with legs in a snap wheres the water stage??? and also they need a water tribal and a warter civ stage (if the user All in all not a BAD game but as many people have said the addons or expectations are what killed it but with the expectations it should be a very good game however i would of liked to see a more auqadic stage i mead you go from a about 10 cellular thing to a little guy with legs in a snap wheres the water stage??? and also they need a water tribal and a warter civ stage (if the user doesn't want to go to land) and maby they could have more than 1 form of intelligent life such as the zindy from startreck enterprise now that would be something to see . Expand
  53. GregFigge
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fantastic addicting game that will eat your time away while your eating other cells or abdupting aliens. This game is great and I would recommend it for ages 8-20. It is very fun, good graphics, and its amazing how you go through different stages and can choose many different paths. Truly a great and my favorite game
  54. RobertP.
    Sep 6, 2008
    A very mixed bag, here. Some stages are terrible compared to others. Stage 1: Well Ignoring how horribly Inacurately this stage is labelled (Cell? Really? Are you that stupid? That is definetly a multi cellular organism.) it actually managed to come out tops in my opinion. Gameplay is fun although there is no real distinction between being carnivorous or herbivorous except which colour A very mixed bag, here. Some stages are terrible compared to others. Stage 1: Well Ignoring how horribly Inacurately this stage is labelled (Cell? Really? Are you that stupid? That is definetly a multi cellular organism.) it actually managed to come out tops in my opinion. Gameplay is fun although there is no real distinction between being carnivorous or herbivorous except which colour pellets you eat, as you will still end up having to kill other... um... fish? regardless of wether you eat them afterward or not. That said not worth the whole pricetage of the game but if this stage was a free flash game it would be a 10/10. As it is I will give it a 7/10 Stage 2: So we come on to the creature stage, which sadly is mediocre at best. One of the great let downs for this stage is the editor which gives the illusion of so many possibilites yet manages to make it nigh impossible to escape from a comparitively small set of basic body shapes. After seeing so many basic humanoid/quadraped based creatures I personally get depressed, experiments into more intresting creatures gave me very few which worked, a lot had body parts pass through each other regularly or limbs which spasmed. Once your done with the limited cc you are left with very simple gameplay, where you around to other nests and either kill them all or charm them all, this grew pretty boring after the umpteenth nest so I decided to try attacking one of the giant creatures tha roam your planet. After dieing in one hit I pretty much gave up and got myself to the tribal stage quick as possible. giving this a 4/10 not terrible just relly not good stage 3: So onto the tribal stage, since it was described as an rts I was looking forward to it, however it really far too easy with no depth whatsoever, the "strategy" boils down to giving almost all your tribe stone axes (Provided you start with them if you dont you just give them whatever weapon you do have till you can get them stone axes) going over to the other village and destroying it. The enemy seems indiffirent to this fact at best, he certainly never puts up much of a fight. you do this to all the tribes one after another and then head on up a stage quick as possible. If you choose to be peacefull Instead you give you people instruments and go over to the other village to begin prehaps the easiest mini-game in the history of mini-games. Click the button for the musical instrument appearing in the speech bubble above your opponents head after you do this 3 or 4 time they become more friendly to you, after doing it twice they become your ally. Not that they help you much apart from the occasional gift of food. So tribal stage gets 0/10 Civ stage: Civ stage gives you control of a city, this city is either religous military or economic. You can build religious military or economic units at their corresponding cities, each different type of unit gives you a different way of capturing another city: Econ: send units over to trade wearing down the will of the city until you buy it Military: send units over to seige a city wearing down its will until you conquer it Rel: send units over to preach a city until you convert it. Uh, hang on a minute those are all basically the same, with the only difference being what you give up to take the city. Religous units take damage while converting so you lose some unit military units destroy the building so you lose the building in the city and with econ you have to buy the city so you lose some money. So really you only have one road to victory and simply 3 different penalties. As icing on the cake ocne you get enough money you can simply use one of 3 ultimate weapons to win. Still atleast I can get on to the space stage. -0/10 Like tribal stage only worse. Stage 5. So your in space, and at first your haing some fun exploring some nearby star systems playing around with moving plants and animals to different planets. But then your given a mission to contact another life form. So you meet them realise you can buy tools cheaper off them than your homeworld, but suddenly they are everywhere and you begin to feel like your are simply playing a slightly better space version of stage 4, I have not completed stage 5 yet as I just cant bear to waste my time on it. 5/10 mainly awarded for the fun I had at first. Expand
  55. mikel.
    Sep 13, 2008
    Overall, barely a mediocre game. Each stage was overly simplistic, even monotonic. Given the amazing potential of the tools for species and civilization customization, it is inexcusable that the actual gameplay is so dull, weak, and hallow.
  56. Aug 25, 2011
    Not worth the time. The premise is nice, but fails in execution. Essentially there are 5 stages in the game, each of which has fairly simple goals and basically 2 directions to take them: violent or peaceful. Actions in one stage barely affect the next stage, and each stage gets to the point where there is nothing left to do except move on. The DRM did not help the game, and gettingNot worth the time. The premise is nice, but fails in execution. Essentially there are 5 stages in the game, each of which has fairly simple goals and basically 2 directions to take them: violent or peaceful. Actions in one stage barely affect the next stage, and each stage gets to the point where there is nothing left to do except move on. The DRM did not help the game, and getting creature designs from friends was very inconsistent; you could very well never find the creatures you downloaded, as everything is randomly assigned in camps. This was an incomplete game, falling short of where it was lauded to be, and beginning the downturn of the Sim games and Wright's impact on games. Expand
  57. PatrickK.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Nice game, runs well with only a few bugs / design flaws. would get a 10 if there was extended gameplay in tribal and civ stages but they are somewhat basic. * major flaw is not being able to skip tutorial dialogue (which can lead to those skipping cinematics between stages not being able to click on the required objective as the screen has not zoomed into place and the tutorial dialogue Nice game, runs well with only a few bugs / design flaws. would get a 10 if there was extended gameplay in tribal and civ stages but they are somewhat basic. * major flaw is not being able to skip tutorial dialogue (which can lead to those skipping cinematics between stages not being able to click on the required objective as the screen has not zoomed into place and the tutorial dialogue locks out movement control). Expand
  58. MattD
    Jan 10, 2009
    This game was way overhyped. That said the product while not revelutionary it is unique and not bad. Spore is like allot of decent games in one because the gameplay changes with each stage. I think the space stage is actually the funnest part of the game its like diablo with ships but also the most challenging and sometimes irritating. Especially when I am in the middle of one thing then This game was way overhyped. That said the product while not revelutionary it is unique and not bad. Spore is like allot of decent games in one because the gameplay changes with each stage. I think the space stage is actually the funnest part of the game its like diablo with ships but also the most challenging and sometimes irritating. Especially when I am in the middle of one thing then my homeworld randomly gets invaded or someones ecosystem is about to collapse. I hate when timers go up for me to complete two things at once. I am trying to expand a galactic empire here! So yes its both irritating but addicting. The other stages aren't very challenging I got through the them in a few days. Its not the best game but its unique and addicting so I'm glad I bought it. Expand
  59. JavierD.
    Sep 28, 2008
    I refuse to include the DRM in this equation because it has no impact on the actual gameplay experience whatsoever. That said, I like this game because of the sheer amount of possibilities the creators offer, as well as the gameplay which is able to hold its head above the water enough for me. Te Cell stage should incorporate player-generated content, the Creature stage needs an aquaticI refuse to include the DRM in this equation because it has no impact on the actual gameplay experience whatsoever. That said, I like this game because of the sheer amount of possibilities the creators offer, as well as the gameplay which is able to hold its head above the water enough for me. Te Cell stage should incorporate player-generated content, the Creature stage needs an aquatic substage in it for transition, the Tribal stage needs more resource variation, the Civ. stage needs harder AI and more vehicle choices, and the Space Stage needs more multitasking. But all in all, a very good game indeed. Expand
  60. MaxiP.
    Sep 7, 2008
    "Space Stage" is just a dumbed down version of EVE Online/any other Space Sim: Alliances, trade routes, missions -- which are very repetitive: kill xyz, collect abc, etc. -- and war. Minus the depth of said MMO.
  61. JasonMitnick
    Dec 5, 2008
    What's with all the hate on this game? A 4.5 averge!? Are you guys serious? Sure it wasn't the "God of all games" most of us have been hoping for...but this truly is a great game, if not a little too simple...I agree that I was slightly disappointed as well, but this game does not deserve anywhere near as much hate as it is getting.
  62. Nov 20, 2011
    I am reviewing this game for what it is, not what it isn't. Spore is overall, a decent game. I recommend you get it though steam though, as the game has a crippling DRM that will ruin the price. Anyways, the game is 30.00, not that bad for a decent title. It consists of 5 stages and 2 DLCs. The stages are Cell, Creature, Tribal, Civ, and Space. Cell- Overall interesting, albeit simplistic.I am reviewing this game for what it is, not what it isn't. Spore is overall, a decent game. I recommend you get it though steam though, as the game has a crippling DRM that will ruin the price. Anyways, the game is 30.00, not that bad for a decent title. It consists of 5 stages and 2 DLCs. The stages are Cell, Creature, Tribal, Civ, and Space. Cell- Overall interesting, albeit simplistic. Eat things that you can eat (Green plants for herbivores, other cells for carnivores or meat chunks, both for omnivores, but no meat chunks unless you use both mouth types). Gives you the impression your growing, make it its own game and add some levels and you have a good game that could sell well on its own. Add in a custom character customizer and you have a perfect game. 9/10

Creature- Bland, not much to it, make a creature, fight or befriend others, Needs more options for attacks and social abilities. Also, its rather buggy. But it works i guess. Would never sell on its own as a game 7/10

Tribe- Insanely hard. Least favorite stage for such a casual game. Needs more content, needs to be less difficult 6/10

Civilization- Good enough, blow up cities, make deals, new outfitter and vehicle customizers, fun to play with, not the best stage though. Prefer it to be longer and more challenging though. 8/10

Space- Very nice, has all creators so far except cell and early creature creators. Fun exploring, near perfect game play, hard to play though, but satisfying when you win, It contains elements from all the other stages, making it so you need to be clever about your tactics. Excellent pastime, great stage. 10/10

DLCs:

Galactic Adevtures: Nifty new creator that i absolutely love, new types of missions in the space stage, new creature creator that has what i was looking for, nice adventure mode which makes things a lot more interesting as time goes by. Doesn't add much content to other stages though. 8/10

Creepy And Cute: Nice parts for creature creator, but they are just reskins except for the feet, hands and details. Overpriced, unnecessary, get it if you see it on sale for 5-10 bucks. 5/10

Bot Parts: Free with a doctor pepper, parts look nice, don't serve much of a purpose though. Can't get it anymore. Also has bug fixes. 10/10, but its not available anymore and not available in anywhere except the U.S. and Canada. So 8/10

Overall:

Fun: 8/10 Enough to keep you busy

Graphics: 10/10 Good enough, nothing spectacular, looks kiddish and neat though.

Creativity: 11/10 Second best to Minecraft.

Story: 7/10 Generic. But amusing at the end game.

Community: 5/10 Too much drama going on about nothing. Thank god there is no multiplayer.

Value: 9/10 30 Dollars is an OK price. Buy it if its for less though, but get it anyways if you can.

Expectations (Without knowing of older trailers): 10/10 Exceeds expectations

Expectations (With knowing of older trailers): 6/10 Not NEARLY as good as it looked, but its the same game for the most part and is good enough.

Overall Score: 9/10, 8/10 for Retail version. Get on steam or origin
  63. May 19, 2012
    It had an incredible amount of potential, but fell flat on its face. The game would have been better if if didn't look like it was designed for children. It could have been a revolutionary game if not for the mindbogglingly idiotic AI. The entire idea has been trivialized and simplified to the point where the only good thing about it is the Cell and Space Stages and that's it. The gameIt had an incredible amount of potential, but fell flat on its face. The game would have been better if if didn't look like it was designed for children. It could have been a revolutionary game if not for the mindbogglingly idiotic AI. The entire idea has been trivialized and simplified to the point where the only good thing about it is the Cell and Space Stages and that's it. The game that Will Wright showed in 2005 was slaughtered by the bastards at EA and turned into a game for children. Expand
  64. DaveSmith
    Sep 20, 2008
    I refuse to rent this game! I still have old PC games (Command and Conquer, Secret of Monkey Island) that I play to this day. They've probably been reinstalled at least 15 times each due to new PCs, reformatting to fix the innumerable problems with Windows, etc.) I refuse to buy a game I can't play years down the road due to the excessive greed of a megacorp. They've lostI refuse to rent this game! I still have old PC games (Command and Conquer, Secret of Monkey Island) that I play to this day. They've probably been reinstalled at least 15 times each due to new PCs, reformatting to fix the innumerable problems with Windows, etc.) I refuse to buy a game I can't play years down the road due to the excessive greed of a megacorp. They've lost yet another customer. Red Alert 3 and The Sims 3 were sure buys for me as well, but I won't buy them with this ridiculous malware attached to them. Expand
  65. MarkT.
    Sep 8, 2008
    I'm in two minds about Spore, although what I'm sure of is i don't feel this is a classic. The first few phases are over too quickly, which was a surprise. The space phase has the potential for many hours of gameplay if you start with a poor strategy, but I suspect those who have anything but extreme patience will find it gets boring. Even so, a set of interesting ideas, I'm in two minds about Spore, although what I'm sure of is i don't feel this is a classic. The first few phases are over too quickly, which was a surprise. The space phase has the potential for many hours of gameplay if you start with a poor strategy, but I suspect those who have anything but extreme patience will find it gets boring. Even so, a set of interesting ideas, with the final phase poorly executed. YMMV Expand
  66. GunnarG.
    Sep 8, 2008
    A very good game if you're a creative person and like exploring the full potential of a limitless world. The main thing that holds this game together is the famous creature creator, without it the game would be quite dull. So if you don't like creating stuff, this game won't be your cup of tea.
  67. SamI.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Get over all the DRM gripes...the game itself is incredibly fun and innovative.
  68. AshR.
    Oct 16, 2008
    After playing through most of Spore, I began to realize that the game had so much potential to be the next big thing. It could have been regarded as a gaming revolution! Unfortunately, it had been lowered down to a more simplistic game designed to entertain 1st grade children. The graphics are acceptable, and the creators allow much freedom, yet too much of the gameplay becomes recycled After playing through most of Spore, I began to realize that the game had so much potential to be the next big thing. It could have been regarded as a gaming revolution! Unfortunately, it had been lowered down to a more simplistic game designed to entertain 1st grade children. The graphics are acceptable, and the creators allow much freedom, yet too much of the gameplay becomes recycled and overused after awhile. Will Wright and Maxis had the right ideas, it's just they applyed them wrong. It is true that gamers will enjoy themselves some of the time, but by the second time through, they will want to find something better to do with their time. Expand
  69. BrendaP.
    Oct 2, 2008
    This game is fun everyone who rated it badly didnt do enough research on what it was about before they bought it and or are panzies.
  70. NW
    Oct 26, 2008
    Don't be mislead by all of these negative reviews. You'll notice that they're all by goal-oriented, hardcore players who went into Spore expecting some sort of gritty explosion-fest. Spore is a game meant to invoke your sense of wonder, and let you be creative. Its simplicity is its strong suit, and lets one create exactly the sort of cell/creature/vehicle/spaceship that Don't be mislead by all of these negative reviews. You'll notice that they're all by goal-oriented, hardcore players who went into Spore expecting some sort of gritty explosion-fest. Spore is a game meant to invoke your sense of wonder, and let you be creative. Its simplicity is its strong suit, and lets one create exactly the sort of cell/creature/vehicle/spaceship that one visualizes in his mind's eye without worrying about whether the rocket launcher or the machine gun has more DPS or range or whatever. Spore isn't a game for people who want to geek out about computer games. It's a game for the rest of us. Expand
  71. ChristopherW.
    Oct 8, 2008
    Despite the complainers who did no research prior to buying (other than the 2005 demo that promised the earth and all the heavens), Spore is a decent game. Sadly, that's all it is. The early stages are hit or miss, with Cell and Civ being the pinnacle and Creature and Tribe the nadir. Space stage seems like a great open sandbox, with numerous randomly-generated planets. Sadly this Despite the complainers who did no research prior to buying (other than the 2005 demo that promised the earth and all the heavens), Spore is a decent game. Sadly, that's all it is. The early stages are hit or miss, with Cell and Civ being the pinnacle and Creature and Tribe the nadir. Space stage seems like a great open sandbox, with numerous randomly-generated planets. Sadly this stage compares more to Daggerfall in that once you've seen a handful of the planets, you've seen all of them. There's no story to Space other than "get to the center of the galaxy" and about 5 or 6 random missions repeated over and over until you finally get bored and find another game. Thankfully, Maxis had the bright idea of releasing the best part of the game separately: The Creature Creator. Pick it up for $10 and wait until the full game's price comes down. Expand
  72. TommyN.
    Oct 8, 2008
    Very good. Could add stuff, but it's fine the way it is!
  73. ChrisW.
    Oct 9, 2008
    Wow -- there are a lot of strong opinions being posted about this game, and a lot of them are quite negative. I don't disagree with a lot of criticisms people are voicing, but I fear they are missing the point of this game. Spore was never designed to be an RTS, an RPG, or a game from any of the other well-known genres out there. Rather, Spore is about the evolution and ascension of Wow -- there are a lot of strong opinions being posted about this game, and a lot of them are quite negative. I don't disagree with a lot of criticisms people are voicing, but I fear they are missing the point of this game. Spore was never designed to be an RTS, an RPG, or a game from any of the other well-known genres out there. Rather, Spore is about the evolution and ascension of your personal creation throughout its long struggle for survival. When I think of Spore I think of the opening credits for the now-deceased television series, "Enterprise". While this was the least successful of the Star Trek series (and widely panned by critics), I think it had the best opening credits. Instead of the typical montage of planets, stellar dust, and starships zooming all over the place, it showed a montage of man's evolution from seafaring to spacefaring civilization. It communicated a sense of pride and hope in mankind's future. How does this compare to Spore? Instead of analyzing whether the "Tribal phase" of the game stacks up against other, more complex RTS' (like Warhammer 40k, or Command and Conquer), I simply enjoy the experience of seeing the story of my personal creation unfold. It's great to look at the games evolutionary "timeline" of events, and see how you've progressed. While the first four phases of the game are overly simplistic, the all culminate beautifully in the final phase -- which managed to tie everything together with almost symphonic perfection. The space phase is easily one of the most satisfying experiences I've had in recent PC gaming. It is enormous, and I have to strongly disagree with those who call it tedious or boring. Along with the goals of colonization and exploration, the game seems to push you to discover a secret which lies in the center of the galaxy, but which is protected by an ancient and extremely hostile species. Along with this intriguing story, I found references to popular science fiction at every turn. The use of "monoliths" to convert a primitive species on an alien planet into a an advanced race. A "Genesis" like device to instantly terraform planets. And, of course, homage to the number 42. If you are especially dedicated, you may even go in search of strange, mythological world -- the third planet orbiting a distant star -- a place called Earth. Perhaps most interesting is the feeling you have of isolation and loneliness the further you choose to travel from your colonized space. It can be scary to venture out into the vastness of space, and no other space-based civilization game I've played has ever really captured this emotion quite to the same degree. So that's my long-winded review of the game. It isn't perfect, and I'd be inclined to give it 9, but I have to give it a 10 to offset the criticism of people who completely missed the bus in evaluating this game. I highly recommend it to people who are looking for a creative, engaging experience that clearly sets itself apart from any typical PC gaming genre. Expand
  74. DrQQ
    Sep 11, 2008
    Great Toy! That's what most people do not get about this piece of interactive entertainment - it's more of a toy to play with rather than a game in the traditional sense with a concrete narrative and set of rules and storylines to follow. Rather, it is to be enjoyed in direct relation to your own level of creativity and ability to intelligently manipulate the tools given to you.
  75. kr00lPlatinum
    Sep 10, 2008
    SPORE is an excellent game that brings a new elements to gaming that have never been see before! I highly recommend that you go out right now and purchase a copy! The game does depend on the creativity of the person playing. So, if you're not an imaginative person this isn't the game for you. Many hours will be spent on building custom vehicles and buildings. Sure the DRM sucks SPORE is an excellent game that brings a new elements to gaming that have never been see before! I highly recommend that you go out right now and purchase a copy! The game does depend on the creativity of the person playing. So, if you're not an imaginative person this isn't the game for you. Many hours will be spent on building custom vehicles and buildings. Sure the DRM sucks but I'm speaking about game play! Expand
  76. ChrisM.
    Sep 11, 2008
    This is an excellent game - breathtaking and original, that shows tremendous attention to detail. Will Wright's 1990s concept couldn't be more beautifully brought to the modern PCs than with this amazing version. To us old time fans of SimEarth and SimLife it's simply a dream come true.
  77. JamesH
    Sep 11, 2008
    People are rating the game based on its security, rather than the actual game. The game itself is good, maybe not as revolutionary as everybody hoped, and a bit too structured for my taste, but people aren't even close to giving it the chance it deserves. Not to mention the DRM is a non-issue anyway, I'm positive all you'd have to do is call EA to get your CD key renewed. People are rating the game based on its security, rather than the actual game. The game itself is good, maybe not as revolutionary as everybody hoped, and a bit too structured for my taste, but people aren't even close to giving it the chance it deserves. Not to mention the DRM is a non-issue anyway, I'm positive all you'd have to do is call EA to get your CD key renewed. This blasting of the game for this is totally uncalled for. Expand
  78. Jason
    Sep 12, 2008
    Spore was a very unique design for a game and it encompasses a lot of items that make it a very enjoyable game. However, once you reach the Space Age it becomes a bit tedious since every item you need for your spaceship is very costly and the "Spice trade" and the quests don't offer too much money. Expansion takes a lot of time and great effort in "terraforming" (which can be fun if Spore was a very unique design for a game and it encompasses a lot of items that make it a very enjoyable game. However, once you reach the Space Age it becomes a bit tedious since every item you need for your spaceship is very costly and the "Spice trade" and the quests don't offer too much money. Expansion takes a lot of time and great effort in "terraforming" (which can be fun if you like the challenge). The space combat system is a little bit clunky since things fly around horrendously fast and targeting is difficult when you have to match both altitude and distance (which can be a fun challenge for some, I suppose) and your spaceship doesn't take a whole lot of punishment when it invades a well-defended enemy system, but enemy spaceships do remarkably well against one of your well-defended colonies (sending in huge fleets that you cannot amass by yourself). Perhaps the Space Age can be patched to make it more enjoyable, but right now it's definitely the weak link. But Spore is still a blast to play through the Civilization Age. Expand
  79. D.Nettleton
    Sep 12, 2008
    Good game, I don't need to install it on more than two computers, I found it interesting and fun to play over in different ways. Not Half-Life or Doom, just a fun creature sim.
  80. Headlesslizard
    Sep 12, 2008
    Loved it! Amazing kept me occuppied for weeks. I failed my A levels but when spore came out i didnt care as i could be what i wanted within the video game which i couldn't be in reality.
  81. SimonB.
    Sep 12, 2008
    Great game for creative people.
  82. MarkY.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Ground-breaking in terms of user generated content appearing randomly in your game. Excellent creator modes, but slightly shallow gameplay for the other parts of the game.
  83. KilikiaT.
    Sep 14, 2008
    This is honestly the best game I have ever played in my entire life! Sure the graphics are cartoonish, but that means you won't have to worry about the tiniest details in creation and it won't kill your graphics card. Very original, and the cheats it has makes it fun but not insanely easy! The only reason I give this a 9 is because this is a great game with a poor tutorial. This is honestly the best game I have ever played in my entire life! Sure the graphics are cartoonish, but that means you won't have to worry about the tiniest details in creation and it won't kill your graphics card. Very original, and the cheats it has makes it fun but not insanely easy! The only reason I give this a 9 is because this is a great game with a poor tutorial. Especially in the space stage. I mean it took me several hours to fully grasp the full space stage, especially the terraforming(everyone should seriously use the money cheat for this- seriously $150000 for an atmosphere generator). Anything less than a nine and the perso who gave the rating gave up in less than an hour. Expand
  84. BenT.
    Sep 15, 2008
    this game is absolutely amazing in a very random way i played for 7 hours continuosly after purchasing it well worth buying. once you get to the later stages is very complex.
  85. BenjaminW.
    Sep 15, 2008
    the most original game in a long time. A compleatly diffrent experience than iv ever had with a game. i loved it 10++++
  86. KevinS.
    Sep 16, 2008
    Spore is a decent game. Thinking back, it doesn't seem like it should have taken five years to give us the product we have today, nonetheless, no other game offers the kind of scope Spore does. Honestly, some things in the Space Phase were more monetarily bound than I would have hoped, and the other phases wouldn't be worth their average cost of 10 USD each, but no one can argue Spore is a decent game. Thinking back, it doesn't seem like it should have taken five years to give us the product we have today, nonetheless, no other game offers the kind of scope Spore does. Honestly, some things in the Space Phase were more monetarily bound than I would have hoped, and the other phases wouldn't be worth their average cost of 10 USD each, but no one can argue with the overwhelming numbers of different creations that stock my galaxy. Spore isn't the best at everything it does, but as a whole, it does everything alot better than anyone else, if you know what I mean. Expand
  87. LawrenceP.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Whilst Spore doesn't please all hardcore gamers, especially in the RTS and First person eater genre's, it still gets the job done for being what a game should ultimately be.. FUN!
  88. DavidB.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Best game of the year. I love Will's design. Maxis has made the ultimate software toy. All kinds of tings to do and try in this game. Just what I love!
  89. AllyS.
    Sep 19, 2008
    I loved making my own creatures and playing the creature game. The Epics are awesome. Get in their way and they'll grab you and throw you.
  90. BenjaminF.
    Sep 2, 2008
    Electronic Arts is not selling this game. The only thing you get if you pick the game up in a store is the right for three "activations". Which means that if you reinstall the game or if you modify your computer in any way (e.g. by buying a new monitor or by upgrading your operating system), you use on of these activations. Most people who buy the game do not know this, and while it is Electronic Arts is not selling this game. The only thing you get if you pick the game up in a store is the right for three "activations". Which means that if you reinstall the game or if you modify your computer in any way (e.g. by buying a new monitor or by upgrading your operating system), you use on of these activations. Most people who buy the game do not know this, and while it is not a secret, you will find no information about this in any review about this game. There is also no warning on the box that you cannot buy this game, but only rent it. Once your 3 activations are used, you do not have a right to play the game anymore. You are free to make a non-free call to Electronic Arts and beg them that they let you continue playing the game you payed for, but if they do this or not is decided on a "case-by-case" basis. There are some good games out there which cannot be played because they suffer from technical bugs. This great game was crippled by a very bad strategic decision. As someone who replays games many years after the have been released, the decision for a Rental via Securom has made the game useless for me. Expand
  91. MarkZ.
    Sep 3, 2008
    This Game is like a slice of every Maxis Game yet released and has nor longterm playfun, neither is it hought through. It's just like B&W a victim of i's own hype. In the end you are better off buying the old Maxis Games für 5 Bucks and get alot of them, then you can play spore too.
  92. KenH.
    Sep 4, 2008
    Simply put, the very basic gameplay will very likely bore inveterate gamers. Casual gamers might enjoy it though. I do not agree with folks who call this game "innovative." It does nicely merge a few different types of games, simplify those games, and put them all togther in one package, but that's not innovative.
  93. RafaelD.
    Sep 4, 2008
    a great experience , an inovation on the game world. but i dont know why , i feel that something is missing on this game.. but deffinetely a game you should buy and try , you will be hooked for the first few hours for sure.
  94. BrianS
    Sep 5, 2008
    It has lived up to all the hype and more in my opinion. Where else can you play SimCity, CIV4, and Master of Orion in one game?
  95. Jens
    Sep 7, 2008
    It has some flaws, yes, but it's also pretty much the only game to compare itself with. It's an all-new, innovative experience and I think it's worth trying it.
  96. IanI.
    Sep 7, 2008
    It's good. For a game developer like EA that is really saying something. The game is incredibly large with more thought to content and detail than any game in memory. This of course means that re-playability is exceedingly high in spore. Unlike many EA games there is no question that EA really put some time into this one (4 years in the making) however the game is still flawed in It's good. For a game developer like EA that is really saying something. The game is incredibly large with more thought to content and detail than any game in memory. This of course means that re-playability is exceedingly high in spore. Unlike many EA games there is no question that EA really put some time into this one (4 years in the making) however the game is still flawed in many ways, but I will get to that in a moment. First of all, the game has a sense of wonder (aswell as heaps of personal style) that follows it in every stage of your creatures development making it easy to forget your playing a game and resulting in an amazingly engrossing experiance. The major flaws in this game are ones very familiar to EA, Repetition, and lack of gameplay depth. There are 5 stages in the game, each of which can be boiled down to 1 activity, then rinse and repeat (kill three of this monster, kill five of this monster, destroy the purple tribe, destroy the green tribe) and so it can become tiresome with time. The major flaw however is that the biggist draw of the game (creating your creature) is something that doesn't cary over from stage to stage. Once you finish your creature in stage 2 and have him fully customized with max atack, or massive amounts of health which you earn by unlocking and using body parts you eventualy get to the next stage to find out you can never change your creature again, which is tolerable I suppose as you are probably pretty ok with your creature at this point...until you realize all of the body parts you put on your creature so that he could say...be more charming (an actual skill which allows you to make friends with other creatures) are now compleatly without purpose and so you realize that the characters looks and personality are set back to null and you are essentialy on an even playing field with every other creature you come across. I simply question the logic behind such focus on building a creature around its atributes in order to achieve a goal that then suddenly drops away, all I would propose would be that say...your combined level of green skills (the nice ones) should increase your tribes/civilizations ability in trade/treatys while the red skills increase your abillitys in war. Perhaps I'm ranting here but never fear, because I'm sure EA will have plenty of time to correct any mistakes its made in the dozens of expansions that are sure to come in the next couple of years (just as they did with The Sims). Expand
  97. DjD.
    Sep 8, 2008
    Some of the best interfaces in game history, awesome content creators, but the gameplay is way too simple and easy. This game could have been brilliant, and maybe a next version will be. For now I'll just have fun playing around with my creatures.
  98. C.M.
    Sep 8, 2008
    It's a cute little game but the lack of anything outside of the creature creator really brings the game down. For "serious" gamers it's nice to have a look at but, like myself, there's really no lasting appeal outside of creating all the different little things.
  99. GeroldS.
    Sep 8, 2008
    Becomes booring very fast for lack of depth and a real challange. Any form of "balance the stats" challenge like in sims or sim city with a little more depth, maybe only on "Hard" would have made this a 10/10 game.
  100. GarthR.
    Sep 8, 2008
    An incredibly *fun* game that takes a refreshing step away from the MMOs and FPSs that saturate an otherwise unimaginative industry. Kudos to Will Wright and his very talented team of developers !!

1. Play (Poland)
    How to design a game that spans from swimming in a drop of water to ruling the galaxy? Will Wright knows how: as simple as possible. Spore deserves success on "The Sims" scale. [Sept 2008]
  2. Spore's triumph is painfully ironic. By setting out to instill a sense of wonderment at creation and the majesty of the universe, it's shown us that it's actually a lot more interesting to sit here at our computers and explore the contents of each other's brains. [October 2008, p.64]
    Spore manages quite some feats – it's accessible for casual gamers, but at the same time so real and dynamic, able to offer hardcore gamers a demanding experience and, obviously, a more appealing one than in "The Sims".