Spore PC

5.3

1. Jul 20, 2012
    First off: I was so so disappointed in this game. Brilliant concept, but terrible terrible game. I feel it was intentionally dumbed down from the start with the intention of selling loads of add-ons and DLC. It was SO dumbed down that there's hardly much game at all there - at least in the initial launch. I gave up on it - very unrewarding gameplay. I expected sandbox, not constantFirst off: I was so so disappointed in this game. Brilliant concept, but terrible terrible game. I feel it was intentionally dumbed down from the start with the intention of selling loads of add-ons and DLC. It was SO dumbed down that there's hardly much game at all there - at least in the initial launch. I gave up on it - very unrewarding gameplay. I expected sandbox, not constant conflict/pirates/eco-missions, but by the time you get powerful enough to play a sandbox game there's nothing left but repetition of the same. The quotes "You've got a whole galaxy to do nothing in" are true. It's like playing Tic-Tac-Toe for the 1000th time. All the same.
    But the game's not all bad. What's good? The creature creators. Before the game was released I had a blast building creatures that I expected would be part of my gameworld (only a few of the 100s I created actually showed up in my game). I've definitely spent more time building creatures and spaceships than I spent playing the "game". I give it 4 because I did have alot of fun with the creature creators, but don't expect much of a game here unless you're 8yrs old. Anyhow, that's my $0.02
  2. PatrickKelly
    Sep 10, 2008
    Spore could have been a great game. It could have been exciting, entertaining, and in-depth. However, EA deliberately dumbed-down the game, hoping to appeal to a wider audience. With the creature creator simplified to nothing more than paper dolls with window dressing, there's really no reason to play Spore. I'm sorry, but I'd rather play any number of free point-and-clickSpore could have been a great game. It could have been exciting, entertaining, and in-depth. However, EA deliberately dumbed-down the game, hoping to appeal to a wider audience. With the creature creator simplified to nothing more than paper dolls with window dressing, there's really no reason to play Spore. I'm sorry, but I'd rather play any number of free point-and-click flash games than the dumbed-down Pac-Man that's stage 1. I'd rather play any one of the thousands of third-person action games than the oversimplified, dumbed-down 3PA game that's stage 2. I'd rather play any one of the hundreds of great RTS games on the market than the oversimplified, dumbed-down RTS that's stage 3. I'd rather play Civ II, III, or IV than the oversimplified, dumbed-down 4X game that's stage 4. And I'd rather play any number of more-mundane-work-than-fun MMORPG games than the repetitive, cookie-cutter-grind-quest Galaxy stage.

Spore is a game for people who don't play games. It's simply uninteresting, uninspired, and clearly aimed at people who are unaware of, unable to, or unwilling to play the hundreds of deeper, more rewarding games that Spore has so clumsily aped for each of its stages.
  3. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is really bad. You get many mini-games but every one of them is bad. This game plays like bunch of free web games putted to gather. What a trash game.
  4. BrianK
    Incredibly disappointing gameplay.
    1) Cell Stage - fun for 5 minutes, after that its rather pointless
    2) Creature Stage - this is really the meat of spore - your evolutionary choices actually matter here. Unfortunately the gameplay is rather stale. 3) Tribal Stage - one of the worst strategy games I have played - the interface, camera controls, and minimap controls are horrible. Whats
    Incredibly disappointing gameplay.
    1) Cell Stage - fun for 5 minutes, after that its rather pointless
    3) Tribal Stage - one of the worst strategy games I have played - the interface, camera controls, and minimap controls are horrible. Whats worse is that everyone's creatures are pretty much equal - technology may make a difference, but the giant claw creature should have some sort of attacking advantage against the round, fat, weaponless creature.
    4) Civ Stage - no citybuilding here. All of your designs and your creature are not purely asethetic. There are some minor vehicle differences, but the gameplay is so simple it doesn't really matter. Spore outdoes itself by providing an even worse strategy experience before. Luckily the game provides an 'i win' button - literally, a button you can push to just win at a certain point.
    5) Space Stage - talk about disappointing. Again, all of your design chioces are aesthetic only. You can have a flying cube as your spaceship and still be fine. Want to play around in the 'sandbox' that is supposed to be the spacestage - terraform and such? Well, you can't without money. And to get money you have to play a rather dull risk-esque game. Whats worse is that you have to micromanage everything. For some reason your all-powerful space-faring empire can only field one ship - you. You can't build fleets to take care of pirates, or eco-disasters, or even collect revenue from your planets. Nope - you have to do everything. Trade routes don't even give you money. If you want to actually explore there is no way to do it without constantly losing colonies.

Besides the disaster of the gameplay, the DRM is horrible and you cannot install Spore on more than one computer, or have more than one account. So if you want to share it with a family member - too bad. You can't.

The only reason this gets 2 stars instead of 1 is because its mildly entertaining to play through once ...
    Oh - and it will often crash on mac. And, if you want to install it on windows it will require 9 GB of free space, not 4 like the box says (the EA download manager requires an extra 5 GB to install).
  5. disspointedgamer
    Sep 12, 2008
    Creators don't redeem it. absolutely terribly frustrating gameplay throughout.

Creators don't redeem it. absolutely terribly frustrating gameplay throughout.

Space phase is the greatest letdown in video game history. Constantly being attacked by space pirates and civilizations you didnt do anything to. no way to trade easily. if you're trade "route" is completed with another star system, you're given the option to buy it. if you give them an offer they don't like you cant try again and have to build the trade route again which takes like 30 minutes. DON"T buy this game if you like having fun. play galactic cicilizations it's way better.
  6. May 21, 2011
    Why such a genial and complex idea has to be brutally trivialized and simplified to such a ridiculous extend? This game bored me really really fast and editing the creature was actually the most enjoyable part of it. The rest is a boring and repeatable game that uses same old rts schemes one can see in so many games, but implemented very poorly and limited to its rudimentary options.
  7. Feb 15, 2011
    Without knowing about the E3 2005 to 2007 version, I would rate this game 8 out of 10, but then, I was disappointed that the Spore in the released version has the limit on the complexity of the creator, one of the main letdown to me. Another things that weren't as great as the beta version in my opinion is that it doesn't have great visuals, and the actings of those creatures are a littleWithout knowing about the E3 2005 to 2007 version, I would rate this game 8 out of 10, but then, I was disappointed that the Spore in the released version has the limit on the complexity of the creator, one of the main letdown to me. Another things that weren't as great as the beta version in my opinion is that it doesn't have great visuals, and the actings of those creatures are a little too stupid, and usually their arms act the some and often the legs acts the same. Another main letdown is that their voice acting are stupid and repeatably. This cause me always have to playing it without the sounds or listening other sounds.
    When I started playing, I thought it was great, and also by looking the offical reviews, they are also having high ratings. Seriously, why is this so great anyway? I need to use some hack to make no limitation in creature creator, and those creatures aren't normal creatures. They are stupid, allying with others are too easy, and attacks are not good enough. Even it's got infinite possibilities, it's still not good enough.
  8. TomHanssen
    Sep 12, 2008
    I'm rating a 0 because they purposely cut half the game out before release too later include in expansions to collect more cash.

Maxis partnered with EA's plan is a marketing plan and distanced itself as a friendly gaming company into how much money can we starve out of this. Unless a service pack comes out for the game that removes DRM, places all the content they took out, fixes all the countless crashes in Space stage, I don't suggest buying it.
  9. MarkL
    Jan 6, 2010
    Despite the publicity and "uniqueness", Spore sucks. It's boring, extremely simple, buggy, and just flat bad. There are about three buttons repeated throughout just about the whole game. The creature creator is nice, but ultimately pointless. A massive letdown.
  10. Oct 8, 2011
    I was waiting about 2 years for this game to come out. Few months before the premiere I couldn't stop thinking about it. But after the premiere...at first I was like "Omg I finnaly have it! Weeee!" after installation and playing a bit "Wait, where is all this content, where is realistic evolution and all this epic stuff they told they will implent in the game?" after few days I knew thatI was waiting about 2 years for this game to come out. Few months before the premiere I couldn't stop thinking about it. But after the premiere...at first I was like "Omg I finnaly have it! Weeee!" after installation and playing a bit "Wait, where is all this content, where is realistic evolution and all this epic stuff they told they will implent in the game?" after few days I knew that buying this game was a huge waste of money. The creators are awesome, but the game itself sucks. So many things has been cut from the game before relasing it...it could have been an awesome game. I've bought the expansion (not the new body parts though cuz it was damn expensive for such a little addon) hoping it will fix the game but it didn't. It's a good game for 10 yrs old kid but for older people it will seem silly and too much childish. **** EA for what they done with this game. Of course the reason for ****ing it up was money, the childish game about creating funny creatures and dominating the space (which is so repetitive boring and definitely not realistic) would make more money! I doubt it did though, but they've managed to break the game. I don't recommend it unless you're buying a present for someone who is Expand
  11. Aug 30, 2012
    The fact some people says this game is fantastic is just an evidence some comments are made by the producer.
    The fact so much review from 'professionals' are positive are the evidence there is some kind of bribery in the sector.
    One word: CRAP.
  12. Apr 10, 2011
    Where is the game that Will Wright showed off in the pre-release trailers? It's not what ended up in the final product. The only remaining vestige of the game that we saw in the pre-release trailers is the cell stage- where it actually matters what parts you choose, and where you place them. Beyond that, it's "Oh, let's make my character look pretty". I'm sorry, but that doesn'tWhere is the game that Will Wright showed off in the pre-release trailers? It's not what ended up in the final product. The only remaining vestige of the game that we saw in the pre-release trailers is the cell stage- where it actually matters what parts you choose, and where you place them. Beyond that, it's "Oh, let's make my character look pretty". I'm sorry, but that doesn't interest me. Where you place arms, legs, head- it doesn't matter beyond the cell stage. Playing up through the space stage was mildly entertaining the first time through- but that's about all it's worth. I'm giving this a 1 due to the fact I felt like the developers gutted the best portion of this game- evolution. I am deeply disappointed. Expand
  13. Dec 27, 2011
    Spore is a 5 stage evolution game that sucks. The game begins with you selecting a world to play in the massive galaxy. This is completely irrelevant, as the only differences between worlds are the color of the ocean and ground. Then you are in the cell stage. The idea is to collect food and evolve your creature. So you will decide if you want to be a carnivore or herbivore. This is doneSpore is a 5 stage evolution game that sucks. The game begins with you selecting a world to play in the massive galaxy. This is completely irrelevant, as the only differences between worlds are the color of the ocean and ground. Then you are in the cell stage. The idea is to collect food and evolve your creature. So you will decide if you want to be a carnivore or herbivore. This is done through selecting a mouth style. Herbivores will spend this part of the game finding plants to eat, and carnivores will attack the other cell creatures. While cool at first, there are only a dozen or so creatures in this stage to attack. They are cool to see at first, but after seeing the same things a dozen times over, they lose their magic. Upon eating enough food, you will grow in size and be able to edit your species. You can add different eyes, and other attachments. They do things like make you faster, or able to kill faster. The problem is that none of these choices are permanent. You don't decide at one point in the stage that you are a herbivore, you can change any time you level up. So itâ Expand
  14. Jun 2, 2011
    I feel cheated. I was promised a revolutionary, unique game, instead I got sold a child game... Thats what it is. Its basically 5 extremely easy mini games in one, plus this anti-creative "creature creation". Pick 5 random animals that come to your head, then try make them in this creator, you can't, this game only allows you make some unrealistic freaks that all look similiar. This is theI feel cheated. I was promised a revolutionary, unique game, instead I got sold a child game... Thats what it is. Its basically 5 extremely easy mini games in one, plus this anti-creative "creature creation". Pick 5 random animals that come to your head, then try make them in this creator, you can't, this game only allows you make some unrealistic freaks that all look similiar. This is the biggest disappointment in gaming history, not worst game ever though, if they said it was supposed to be an game for children in the first place, it could aim for best one ever, but it pretends to be what its not. I beated the game in one day, not even a day but few hours, i didnt launch it ever since then. If you want to buy it for your 8 year old kid, go for it, but if youre a gamer and looking for a good game, forget about it. Expand
  15. RobertP.
    Sep 6, 2008
    A very mixed bag, here. Some stages are terrible compared to others. Stage 1: Well Ignoring how horribly Inacurately this stage is labelled (Cell? Really? Are you that stupid? That is definetly a multi cellular organism.) it actually managed to come out tops in my opinion. Gameplay is fun although there is no real distinction between being carnivorous or herbivorous except which colour A very mixed bag, here. Some stages are terrible compared to others. Stage 1: Well Ignoring how horribly Inacurately this stage is labelled (Cell? Really? Are you that stupid? That is definetly a multi cellular organism.) it actually managed to come out tops in my opinion. Gameplay is fun although there is no real distinction between being carnivorous or herbivorous except which colour pellets you eat, as you will still end up having to kill other... um... fish? regardless of wether you eat them afterward or not. That said not worth the whole pricetage of the game but if this stage was a free flash game it would be a 10/10. As it is I will give it a 7/10 Stage 2: So we come on to the creature stage, which sadly is mediocre at best. One of the great let downs for this stage is the editor which gives the illusion of so many possibilites yet manages to make it nigh impossible to escape from a comparitively small set of basic body shapes. After seeing so many basic humanoid/quadraped based creatures I personally get depressed, experiments into more intresting creatures gave me very few which worked, a lot had body parts pass through each other regularly or limbs which spasmed. Once your done with the limited cc you are left with very simple gameplay, where you around to other nests and either kill them all or charm them all, this grew pretty boring after the umpteenth nest so I decided to try attacking one of the giant creatures tha roam your planet. After dieing in one hit I pretty much gave up and got myself to the tribal stage quick as possible. giving this a 4/10 not terrible just relly not good stage 3: So onto the tribal stage, since it was described as an rts I was looking forward to it, however it really far too easy with no depth whatsoever, the "strategy" boils down to giving almost all your tribe stone axes (Provided you start with them if you dont you just give them whatever weapon you do have till you can get them stone axes) going over to the other village and destroying it. The enemy seems indiffirent to this fact at best, he certainly never puts up much of a fight. you do this to all the tribes one after another and then head on up a stage quick as possible. If you choose to be peacefull Instead you give you people instruments and go over to the other village to begin prehaps the easiest mini-game in the history of mini-games. Click the button for the musical instrument appearing in the speech bubble above your opponents head after you do this 3 or 4 time they become more friendly to you, after doing it twice they become your ally. Not that they help you much apart from the occasional gift of food. So tribal stage gets 0/10 Civ stage: Civ stage gives you control of a city, this city is either religous military or economic. You can build religious military or economic units at their corresponding cities, each different type of unit gives you a different way of capturing another city: Econ: send units over to trade wearing down the will of the city until you buy it Military: send units over to seige a city wearing down its will until you conquer it Rel: send units over to preach a city until you convert it. Uh, hang on a minute those are all basically the same, with the only difference being what you give up to take the city. Religous units take damage while converting so you lose some unit military units destroy the building so you lose the building in the city and with econ you have to buy the city so you lose some money. So really you only have one road to victory and simply 3 different penalties. As icing on the cake ocne you get enough money you can simply use one of 3 ultimate weapons to win. Still atleast I can get on to the space stage. -0/10 Like tribal stage only worse. Stage 5. So your in space, and at first your haing some fun exploring some nearby star systems playing around with moving plants and animals to different planets. But then your given a mission to contact another life form. So you meet them realise you can buy tools cheaper off them than your homeworld, but suddenly they are everywhere and you begin to feel like your are simply playing a slightly better space version of stage 4, I have not completed stage 5 yet as I just cant bear to waste my time on it. 5/10 mainly awarded for the fun I had at first. Expand
  16. Aug 25, 2011
    Not worth the time. The premise is nice, but fails in execution. Essentially there are 5 stages in the game, each of which has fairly simple goals and basically 2 directions to take them: violent or peaceful. Actions in one stage barely affect the next stage, and each stage gets to the point where there is nothing left to do except move on. The DRM did not help the game, and gettingNot worth the time. The premise is nice, but fails in execution. Essentially there are 5 stages in the game, each of which has fairly simple goals and basically 2 directions to take them: violent or peaceful. Actions in one stage barely affect the next stage, and each stage gets to the point where there is nothing left to do except move on. The DRM did not help the game, and getting creature designs from friends was very inconsistent; you could very well never find the creatures you downloaded, as everything is randomly assigned in camps. This was an incomplete game, falling short of where it was lauded to be, and beginning the downturn of the Sim games and Wright's impact on games. Expand
  17. May 19, 2012
    It had an incredible amount of potential, but fell flat on its face. The game would have been better if if didn't look like it was designed for children. It could have been a revolutionary game if not for the mindbogglingly idiotic AI. The entire idea has been trivialized and simplified to the point where the only good thing about it is the Cell and Space Stages and that's it. The gameIt had an incredible amount of potential, but fell flat on its face. The game would have been better if if didn't look like it was designed for children. It could have been a revolutionary game if not for the mindbogglingly idiotic AI. The entire idea has been trivialized and simplified to the point where the only good thing about it is the Cell and Space Stages and that's it. The game that Will Wright showed in 2005 was slaughtered by the bastards at EA and turned into a game for children. Expand
  18. DaveSmith
    Sep 20, 2008
    I refuse to rent this game! I still have old PC games (Command and Conquer, Secret of Monkey Island) that I play to this day. They've probably been reinstalled at least 15 times each due to new PCs, reformatting to fix the innumerable problems with Windows, etc.) I refuse to buy a game I can't play years down the road due to the excessive greed of a megacorp. They've lostI refuse to rent this game! I still have old PC games (Command and Conquer, Secret of Monkey Island) that I play to this day. They've probably been reinstalled at least 15 times each due to new PCs, reformatting to fix the innumerable problems with Windows, etc.) I refuse to buy a game I can't play years down the road due to the excessive greed of a megacorp. They've lost yet another customer. Red Alert 3 and The Sims 3 were sure buys for me as well, but I won't buy them with this ridiculous malware attached to them. Expand
  19. BenjaminF.
    Sep 2, 2008
    Electronic Arts is not selling this game. The only thing you get if you pick the game up in a store is the right for three "activations". Which means that if you reinstall the game or if you modify your computer in any way (e.g. by buying a new monitor or by upgrading your operating system), you use on of these activations. Most people who buy the game do not know this, and while it is Electronic Arts is not selling this game. The only thing you get if you pick the game up in a store is the right for three "activations". Which means that if you reinstall the game or if you modify your computer in any way (e.g. by buying a new monitor or by upgrading your operating system), you use on of these activations. Most people who buy the game do not know this, and while it is not a secret, you will find no information about this in any review about this game. There is also no warning on the box that you cannot buy this game, but only rent it. Once your 3 activations are used, you do not have a right to play the game anymore. You are free to make a non-free call to Electronic Arts and beg them that they let you continue playing the game you payed for, but if they do this or not is decided on a "case-by-case" basis. There are some good games out there which cannot be played because they suffer from technical bugs. This great game was crippled by a very bad strategic decision. As someone who replays games many years after the have been released, the decision for a Rental via Securom has made the game useless for me. Expand
  20. MarkZ.
    Sep 3, 2008
    This Game is like a slice of every Maxis Game yet released and has nor longterm playfun, neither is it hought through. It's just like B&W a victim of i's own hype. In the end you are better off buying the old Maxis Games für 5 Bucks and get alot of them, then you can play spore too.
  21. AnonymousMC
    Sep 21, 2008
    I feel like I wasted $70 on this game after all the hype.
    The first 2 stages were decent but then tribal stage rolled around and completely destroyed what could have been a decent game.
    If there was any doubt after tribal stage, Civ stage was added in just to put the final nail in the coffin. Even space stage seems cold and lifeless, the creature you lovingly created all but
    I feel like I wasted $70 on this game after all the hype.

Even space stage seems cold and lifeless, the creature you lovingly created all but disappears after the creature stage.
  22. Oct 11, 2010
    Not really a favorite. Had no mind to it, it really wasn't any fun creating something like this to a wide majority of people. I found the free version inside The Daily Telegraph more fun, in reality. This game should really have only been made for the people who sit down for hours creating something and watching it do stuff, not a huge majority of people. Will Wright, nice try mate, butNot really a favorite. Had no mind to it, it really wasn't any fun creating something like this to a wide majority of people. I found the free version inside The Daily Telegraph more fun, in reality. This game should really have only been made for the people who sit down for hours creating something and watching it do stuff, not a huge majority of people. Will Wright, nice try mate, but not enough. Expand
  23. Aug 28, 2011
    This game is what the WTF was made for.
    As a computer-biological experiment, it's interesting.
    As an actual game, it's beyond boring. Perhaps it's because the hype was so huge, the game couldn't stand a chance living up to it.
  24. Nov 4, 2011
    Probably the most disappointing game i have ever played. The creature editor is incredible fun, lots of designs, lots of creativity. Too bad 90% of it is purely cosmetic. doesn't matter where you place those horns, you will get +2 attack and so on. Later in the game, the creature's characteristics are funneled tighter again and again until you have been reduced to "warrior" "banker" orProbably the most disappointing game i have ever played. The creature editor is incredible fun, lots of designs, lots of creativity. Too bad 90% of it is purely cosmetic. doesn't matter where you place those horns, you will get +2 attack and so on. Later in the game, the creature's characteristics are funneled tighter again and again until you have been reduced to "warrior" "banker" or "diplomat" essentially. the space phase is incredibly dull once you realize the rest of the experience will be more of the same. go to planet, drop colony, come back later and collect resources. then use resources to do it again someplace else. I pre-ordered this game, Have not pre-ordered a game ever since. I have however visited alot of torrent sites since then Expand
  25. FuckShit
    Sep 10, 2008
    What a fucking dissapointment. They watered the game down like hell just to make it more "accessible" to all the retards with an attention span of 1 nano second, and so they can release 15 expansions for full retail price over the next 5 years or so like they did with the sims 2. Fuck EA. Fuck them up their fucking capitalist asses.
  26. sheshbenbesh
    Sep 14, 2008
    Huge promise, Huge disappointment. the creature creator alone deserves a mighty "9", but the game itself is one of the worst letdowns since the beginning of the century. replayability - "0"
    graphics - "4", gameplay - "0". And the worst part about this game is the score it got from reviews. 86?! How much money did EA pay to get thrice the score the game really deserves?
  27. JohnHumphrey
    Sep 15, 2008
    Well, I'm one of the people who preordered this game before I found out about the DRM. After finding out about the DRM, and what it does, I just went ahead and reformatted the computer, downloaded the pirated version, and now play that. I own the retail copy of Spore, but it just sits in its box on my shelf while I have the pirated version on my computer to play. So, the retail copyWell, I'm one of the people who preordered this game before I found out about the DRM. After finding out about the DRM, and what it does, I just went ahead and reformatted the computer, downloaded the pirated version, and now play that. I own the retail copy of Spore, but it just sits in its box on my shelf while I have the pirated version on my computer to play. So, the retail copy of the game gets a big fat 0, and the pirated version gets a 6.5/10. Game is okay, not what I thought it would be though. Too dumbed down for my liking. I can't recommend buying this game until the DRM is removed and the price is lowered to around $20. Expand
  28. JohnHammarberg
    Sep 13, 2008
    Each evolution stage is like a separate game ranging from simple arcade to simple RTS to simple adventure/quest RPG, some stages are amusing but not great. The game just never excell anywhere. On the plus side, I can run it both my iMac or Windows laptop with crappy hardware and it still looks pretty good.
  29. MikeSternett
    Sep 13, 2008
    Horrible. Choices mean nothing in this game. Where is the struggle to evolve versus extinction and the strategies and choices that should be required along the path. This game is so simplistic I can't believe I feel for the hype. Damn it this pisses me off thinking about it. Hell, I can't even see how its possible to stay in a stage like cell stage, the games seems to force youHorrible. Choices mean nothing in this game. Where is the struggle to evolve versus extinction and the strategies and choices that should be required along the path. This game is so simplistic I can't believe I feel for the hype. Damn it this pisses me off thinking about it. Hell, I can't even see how its possible to stay in a stage like cell stage, the games seems to force you to move on. Why can't I hang around in cell stage and get as big and powerful as all them GD hugh things trying to eat my little larval looking ass?
    In the creature stage, why am I the only stupid creature in the universe walking around either deciding to eat things or dance with them? If I sit in my nest for months nothing will wander up to me and try to become a ally. Sure, the random creature might wander by that wants to eat you but other then that... my fish tank at home shows way more advanced AI then spore. And once again, cn I hang around creature stage and become 10000 feet tall like those super one hit your dead creatures walking around...I think not.
    Overall, I have games with far more depth on my iphone then Spore has for PC's. Which reminds me, I bet I have have at least 8 times as much enjoyment and play time on the iphone version of spore then the PC one. But the iphone version is a completely different game.
  30. Jul 17, 2011
    THE GOOD: The first stage. THE BAD: Pretty much all the other stages. Each one is far too simple and repetitive. THE UGLY: Seriously, who thought grinding for money in the space stage was a good idea?
  31. Brucew.
    Sep 11, 2008
    Horriable... I installed this POS on my main PC and it crashed constantly, i did a reinstall to see if that would fix it and it didn't. I then tried loading it on my laptop but the same thing happend, plus it looked terriable. I then went and got a new video card hoping that would help the performance aspects as my card is supported but getting kinda old. I installed the card and Horriable... I installed this POS on my main PC and it crashed constantly, i did a reinstall to see if that would fix it and it didn't. I then tried loading it on my laptop but the same thing happend, plus it looked terriable. I then went and got a new video card hoping that would help the performance aspects as my card is supported but getting kinda old. I installed the card and just to be sure did another install, i settled in for a fun experience and instead got a "you've installed this on too many machines, guess you need to buy it again" message. I didn't even GET TO PLAY THE DANG GAME!!! Expand
  32. MiloT.
    Sep 10, 2008
    This review is made by independent customer and lets you know whats going on if you are wondering about buying the game. First of all the game itself is different product that was promised. Years back the demos showed totally different game with rich in content and real challenge. That all has been changed now and there is absolutely no fun left in game. Q: What did they change and why? This review is made by independent customer and lets you know whats going on if you are wondering about buying the game. First of all the game itself is different product that was promised. Years back the demos showed totally different game with rich in content and real challenge. That all has been changed now and there is absolutely no fun left in game. Q: What did they change and why? A: They took out vital gameplay aspects of the game so they can release them later on in multiple expansion packs. This ensures your money will be leeched years to come, not just one time theft. Even the official Spore trailer shows content that does not exist in the current game! The content was changed to appeal more "casual" gamer base thus giving more profit and less quality in return. This fact has been admitted by the developers themselves. Think of it as the Sims game without being able to socialize with other sims before buying expansion pack for it. Q: What is this securom DRM and how it works? A: Securom is a digital rights manager spyware that installs to your computer when you install EA products. It bypasses your normal administrator priviledges and is very hard if impossible to remove from your system. It gathers information about your computer activity and sends it forward, in most countries, that is considered spying which not even police is allowed to do. It can cause software conflicts, unstability in windows enviroment and can slow your PC down. The most important thing is that it limits your installations to 3. So you are not buying the game, you are renting the game for 3 installs. After 3 istalls, you are required to call by phone to have it reactivated. These calls are not toll free, to ensure you are paying for the game even after the purchase. It is not certain aswell that you can get your game reactivated. There has been cases in EA's earlier game Mass Effect which uses the same DRM that people have been unable to get the game reactivated because they are thought to be pirates. Yes, you have to be able to ensure the staff on the phone that you have not pirated the game you purchased. In some countries, the phone number provided in the manual does not even exist! There is no notification of DRM spyware in the box so people cannot be informed about it before they make their purchase. Q: Is the game worth buying? Is it fun to play? A: NO and NO. The game is so simple and uninspiring only children find it fun and challenging. But in later stages even them can find the game to be very frustrating and unrewarding. There is no problem solving, no strategy or any thrill whatsoever. During the course of your creatures journey, you are reduced to pressing one to four buttons or doing simple tasks repeatedly to proceed. Some people have referred the game as a tool designed to help autistic children. The best part of the game is the editors that let you create various creatures, buildings and vehicles. Combined with fascinating ambient background music and well made graphics, the potential is for Spore to be great game is there. Sadly not any of that potential reached the final product. Many customers feel their money was cheated and are now struggling to return their opened game box back to the store. Some customers refuse to have their computer infected with spyware only to play a game they purchased. Some cant believe their game stopped working after 3 installs and on the phone they were being treated as pirates. The promises made before launch and the product delivered just do not match up. This game is a one star game with a word GREED all over it. Expand
  33. MattH.
    Sep 16, 2008
    DRM is horrible, however this is easily fixed do to the fact that it is so boring and you probably won't play it more than 2 or 3 times.
  34. BruceH.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Nuff said. I couldn't have had a more boring time if I'd sat all alone in front of a wall and watched paint dry. Big disappointment. WTF is up with Will Wright? I thought he was one of the best.
  35. AnonymousMC
    Sep 28, 2008
    When we first saw Spore at the 2005 E3 preview, we were extremely excited about it, we wanted to try everything about the game , later on, the creature creator was released to public, people went INSANE about it and made about millions of creation !
    Later on, the date of release was announced, almost everyone pre-ordered it, but then, when everyone tried it, it was crap, big crap, Why you will ask? Because:
    1) The gameplay was VERY linear ( ex: you must kill or befriend with other creatures to gain DNA for 15 minutes straight)
    2) The game was a home of bugs, Graphical bugs, animation bugs, game play bugs, nearly all type of bugs!
    3) What year are we in people?! 2000? Then we will forgive this game, but WE ARE IN 2008!! were is the technology?! (ragdolls, physics, etc)
    4) the game feels like a children game, compare it with the 2005 E3 preview, in the one we have, it's like watching a cartoon, in the 2005 one, it's like watching a program in the discovery channel.
    In the end, the same concept from the sims repeats in spore:
    Spore will be incomplete until they add expansion packs :(
  36. AaronC.
    Sep 8, 2008
    The DRM on this game makes it absolutely unplayable. Copy protection only hurts legitimate buyers.
  37. SeedeeV.
    Sep 9, 2008
    DRM on my PC version makes this game an expensive rental. Ease of use, mobility, etc., is a large part of any gaming experience. Mess with the "value" of the game and it deserves a low score.
  38. DominickM.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Big disappointment. Game is too easy and gameplay feels repetitive. Quite frankly, not that fun. The horrible DRM doesn't help matters, but I'm not even going to let that influence my vote. The problem with this game isn't the DRM, it is the game itself. Promise too much, deliver too little.
  39. Ppsh
    Oct 2, 2008
    Generally speaking, any game made by EA is probably going to have its flaws, but Spore takes this to a whole new level. From it's cutesy sounds and fights to the utter lack of depth in every part of the game, Spore manages to dissapoint in almost everything it does. Even the Creature creator, something I thought was genuingly an original, well executed idea, turned out to be a Generally speaking, any game made by EA is probably going to have its flaws, but Spore takes this to a whole new level. From it's cutesy sounds and fights to the utter lack of depth in every part of the game, Spore manages to dissapoint in almost everything it does. Even the Creature creator, something I thought was genuingly an original, well executed idea, turned out to be a dumbed-down kids version. To put it simply, EA has made an evolution game which is ALL looks and NO substance. Evolution itself has absolutely no effect on what happens. The first four stages of the game are extremely fast and repetitive. The space stage, as people have sometimes said is TOO indepth, is a complete lie. It doesn't take anyone long to figure out that the space stage is just as basic and repetitive as the rest, the only difference is that it's been pushed to a larger scale so that it isn't apparant quite so fast. As it was, it took me one day to finish & become bored with this game. I give this a 4 out of 10 for being a simplistic, dumbed down version of what is was hyped to be, and a total 0 of 10 for EAs ridiculous restrictive DRM software which is virtually the same as a virus. Expand
  40. DennisE.
    Oct 8, 2008
    Great idea! It's too bad the game turned out to be so dull and linear.
  41. MaximilianP.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Such a disappointment, its so dumbed down and simply no fun at all. This isn't really a game, its a collection of lousy mini games and thats not even brining the DRM into it which is fricking horrible.
  42. FreddyL.
    Sep 11, 2008
    I'm trying not to be disapointed, but I waited so long for this game and now I've spend so much money to get it to work. But I have accidentally used up my three activations and it wont let me play any more Install #1 - I installed it on my school laptop because I was so excited I wanted to try it immediately. OK I am dumb, It doesn't work on my laptop Install #2 - I'm trying not to be disapointed, but I waited so long for this game and now I've spend so much money to get it to work. But I have accidentally used up my three activations and it wont let me play any more Install #1 - I installed it on my school laptop because I was so excited I wanted to try it immediately. OK I am dumb, It doesn't work on my laptop Install #2 - Installed on my PC. It worked! But graphics very slow. So I bought a 8800GT card. No go. Said I had to reinstall because of a authication error?? Install #3 - With the new gfx card it runs good! I played all night. Big mistake! then my PC has overheated and the hard disk drive got a lots of errors. Spore is still installed but it gives me the activtion error when I start up Now I am on hold to EA for 40 minutes already... waiting.... waiting... 1 hour waiting.. still waiting. Expand
  43. AnonymousMC
    Spore doesn't deliver.

The first two stages are occasionally entertaining but short and shallow. Tribal & Civ stages are barebone RTS games more fitting to shareware gaming, and space stage is a horribly designed action 4X where opposing empires don't even play by the same rules. Starship combat is among the worst implementations ever seen. The powerful and easy-to-use
    Spore doesn't deliver.

The powerful and easy-to-use editors plus community & sharing features score Spore some points, but the impersonality of Tribal & Civ stages and lack of direct interaction between users result in a bad backfire at these otherwise interesting content tools.
  44. PeteS.
    Sep 10, 2008
    I installed it on my new vista computer, but it wouldn't run, thinking it was a configuration error of my box I tried it on my brother's computer and it didn't work there either. Luckily I have an old XP comp that my mom uses for email and surfing the web so I checked it on that one, and there it worked (kind of, it crashed because of the old old drivers on there, and the I installed it on my new vista computer, but it wouldn't run, thinking it was a configuration error of my box I tried it on my brother's computer and it didn't work there either. Luckily I have an old XP comp that my mom uses for email and surfing the web so I checked it on that one, and there it worked (kind of, it crashed because of the old old drivers on there, and the gfx card isn't up to the job really) So, anyway I got some help to fix my computer, seems I had to replace my motherboard as it was destroying the memory sticks (same for my bro), I'm not going to mention any brands but I'm never going to buy one from those guys again! Anyway, so now I was going to install the game and play finally, and it won't run! Says something about max installs and verification and whatnot. I went back to the store and they wouldn't switch it for another copy because I "had used all my installs"! What? Expand
  45. MikeS.
    Sep 12, 2008
    DRM, SecuROM, Rootkits, these things and more can be yours. 3 Installs, which are deducted when a change in hardware such as a video card or mobo occur. Forget being able to play this puppy 15 years from now, you think EA will keep the authentication server up after you can't find any boxed copies of the game anymore? That costs money. Pirates have already cracked it...so the only DRM, SecuROM, Rootkits, these things and more can be yours. 3 Installs, which are deducted when a change in hardware such as a video card or mobo occur. Forget being able to play this puppy 15 years from now, you think EA will keep the authentication server up after you can't find any boxed copies of the game anymore? That costs money. Pirates have already cracked it...so the only people this hurts is the legitimate customer. EA/Maxis...you have failed... Expand
  46. CJS
    Sep 12, 2008
    Was hoping for some much more, extremely let down by the DRM (I don't really own the game, I'm just renting it from EA), and you can get through the whole game in practically one sitting. I can't believe all those "professional" reviewers did not take those factors into account. Also buggy as could be. With over half a decade of development time, you would think this game Was hoping for some much more, extremely let down by the DRM (I don't really own the game, I'm just renting it from EA), and you can get through the whole game in practically one sitting. I can't believe all those "professional" reviewers did not take those factors into account. Also buggy as could be. With over half a decade of development time, you would think this game would run a little smoother on all systems. Expand
  47. allane.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Because of the DRM this game will not make it to my pc, which is a real shame because i think as a game it would be really lots of fun but I refuse to support any product that has DRM software attached. If someone can code a hax to remove the DRM then I would love to try it.
  48. JohnJ.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Game kinda totally disappoints, and i don't mean the DRM. I'll let that completely aside. There is no "evolution" in this game. Not one tiny bit. Spore is a combination from 5 minigames, whithout any deeper gameplay, but hold together via a nice Creature-/Vehicle-/Building-Editor. And while the Space Stage is your big sandbox endgame, itself maybe disappoints the most. It is a Game kinda totally disappoints, and i don't mean the DRM. I'll let that completely aside. There is no "evolution" in this game. Not one tiny bit. Spore is a combination from 5 minigames, whithout any deeper gameplay, but hold together via a nice Creature-/Vehicle-/Building-Editor. And while the Space Stage is your big sandbox endgame, itself maybe disappoints the most. It is a extremly watered down, ultralight, lowcarb version of 4X Space games like Galactic Civillization. With the additon of some planetary editing, sims style. The fact that you have only one spaceship, and need to be present at any planet where you want to even look up something, is the worst idea ever brought up by a game developer. Add to that, that you constatly have pirate raids and bio-ecological desasters, you actually have no time to explore and/or sandbox/edit your planets. It ends with you scrolling your mousewheel in and out of stars/planets, flying your spaceship with extremely crappy controls (and especially aiming), and constantly fighting off pirates and eco disasters. No depth evolved anywhere. This game is not casual-friendly, this game is a joke. If you bought the Creature Editor, you alreday got the funpart, the rest is just a fraud to get the other 50 bucks outta your pocket. And that is the result of a seven year developement? I'm sorry, but you failed, Mr. Wright. Reading all the hype and previews, i thought this will be a game about you creating creatures, and looking how they evolve, and if they will even survive. But Spore is far, far away from that. Spore is something else. And i don't like that. I have to admit, i played it the first few hours, and felt fun. But all that time, i kinda was waiting for the "evolution" thing. And after getting from phase to phase, i started to realize, that there is none. It doesn't even matter how you design your creature. You can give it 10 legs and one arm behind the head, without ears and a nose, and in spite of all that it will still reach space stage. Too bad. As a Sim City enthusiast, i really had hopes in Will Wrigth's new game. I really looked forward for something (r)evolutionary. But what came out, is some kind of kids game, even worse then The Sims. Expand
  49. BrianA.
    Sep 14, 2008
    Rating a 1 based on DRM. The DRM ruined this game for me, so I dont even play it anymore. I'm removing it from my PC and eating the $50 loss. I've learned my lesson. I'm no longer buying games as soon as they come out. I will wait to see how unfair the DRM is first.
  50. AnonAnon
    Sep 14, 2008
    DRM has ruined this game, but that is not the only problem. EA and Will Wright have willingly admitted to dumbing down te game experience to the extreme just for good sales. Will, you have lost my respect.
  51. FrankN.
    Sep 14, 2008
    I don't see what all the excitement is over this game. I was expecting it to be at least fun lol. Pretty boring, feels like 5 unrelated games none of which are fun at all, and omg the controls suck! And you can't change them. What a pos.
  52. LeoK.
    My Spore Review Or
  53. BrandonS
    Sep 15, 2008
    I'm not a crook, so don't treat me like a crook, this is not the way to treat your customers EA.
  54. LoBiN.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Who wants to have to com with authentication server everytime you want to play and once the drm gets hacked how many legit users will get locked out because the authentication servers cant really tell it just goes on errors (any errors!).
  55. JimC.
    Sep 10, 2008
    After purchasing the garbage I learned that I had 3 installs. I installed it at work, then installed it at home. My home installation failed so I went to install again, and the activation servers failed it.. I had to call in, work my way through 20 minutes of prompts and hold times just to be told that I couldn't install it anymore. They literally told me I couldn't have another After purchasing the garbage I learned that I had 3 installs. I installed it at work, then installed it at home. My home installation failed so I went to install again, and the activation servers failed it.. I had to call in, work my way through 20 minutes of prompts and hold times just to be told that I couldn't install it anymore. They literally told me I couldn't have another activation. DO NOT BUY! Expand
  56. LeifP.
    Sep 10, 2008
    This got to be the biggest pile of poo long seen, it feels like its designed and made for 5 -10 year olds.. i made it all the way into space and i lost interest.. not something for a 31 year old guy.
  57. JS
    Sep 3, 2008
    The draconian DRM makes this game unpurchasable- The best you can manage is to rent it for a little while, before your copy becomes unplayable. That said, I would dearly love to purchase this game, if EA ever takes their head out of the sand.
  58. Chuck
    Sep 30, 2008
    I bought the game because it was supposed to be a fun exploration of evolution and then turn into a civ game. This game has nothing to do with evolution, unless you're a creationist, and the civ part of the game is not as good as already existing civ games. I tried to force myself to play it and couldn't because it's so boring. I suppose it might be fun for children under I bought the game because it was supposed to be a fun exploration of evolution and then turn into a civ game. This game has nothing to do with evolution, unless you're a creationist, and the civ part of the game is not as good as already existing civ games. I tried to force myself to play it and couldn't because it's so boring. I suppose it might be fun for children under 10, but as an edu-tainment package it falls short in edu and tainment. Expand
  59. SteveM.
    Oct 18, 2008
    The creature creator is the only interesting part of this game. The gameplay itself is incredibly bland, unbelievably easy and there is absolutely no replay value whatsoever.
  60. Mar 6, 2013
    TL;DR You're playing the remains of Will Wrights hopes and dreams.

TL;DR You're playing the remains of Will Wrights hopes and dreams.

Oh what a disappointment...i'll just keep this short, Spore fell short of the hype and Will Wright has a tombstone somewhere right next to Squidward's, i'm sure. The problems are the dumbed down editor, relatively short pre-Space modes, and just the fact that every stage except for the Space stage feels like a minigame, not seperate parts within the game itself. It introduced some new concepts, of course, but it simply did not make the game as interesting or as fun as it was imagined. The fact that EA then later charged for DLC packs was like spitting on Will's grave as EA just walked on by. Overall, it was a game with a lot of promise that simply fell very short and ended up being a "play a bunch of minigames before the final mode which is just as repetitive" type game with a very simple creature designer tacked on.
  61. AnonymousMC
    Jun 7, 2009
    Loses steam fast, goes nowhere quickly, doesn't expand enough on the individual concepts.
    EA brought a shotgun into a hungry mob, pretty soon they'll be whishing they'd taken the RPG.
    it would be fine if the individual stages were GOOD! but they aren't. It would be fine if they made expansions that made each stage better one at a time so you could get more of your favourite but they haven't. Instead they shoved securom down our throats. EA, get some friends.
  62. Forak.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Boring, dumbed down experience from what we were promised many years ago. None of the phases are interesting enough to play it for more then an hour, big disappointment. The DRM rentware doesn't help one bit either.
  63. Pnothy
    Sep 22, 2008
    It started out with a bit of promise, but when I realized that your actions don't really correspond to your evolution (you may spend points to whatever you like) and to get these points you have to repeat simple repetitive actions endlessly, the fun slipped away quickly. Compared to the Sims, the user interface is way less intuitive, so one (at least I) can miss certain essentialIt started out with a bit of promise, but when I realized that your actions don't really correspond to your evolution (you may spend points to whatever you like) and to get these points you have to repeat simple repetitive actions endlessly, the fun slipped away quickly. Compared to the Sims, the user interface is way less intuitive, so one (at least I) can miss certain essential elements of gameplay easily. For example, I upgraded my creature with a ranged attack ability, only to find out it was ranged after a friend told me. During my game, I had no clue as to why it wouldn't work in battles. Maybe I am too stupid for modern games... ;)

The creature editor is quite fun to play, but the rest is, in my opinion, a bad implementation of an innovative game idea. Just get the creature editor and don't burden yourself with the repetitive DNA-point scraping to finally get to build the same character in a slower way!
  64. Jan 5, 2014
    Even though this isn't a review of the game itself, the DRM, which just kills computers, is not fun! The game looks like fun, but I can't enjoy it if my computer is on fire, can I?
  65. JaneB.
    Sep 3, 2008
    Suffers from extremely bland, unintuitive, repetitive gameplay. All the custom creatures we've been hearing about amount to nothing in this game, does your creature have 4 arms or 2 arms? It literally doesn't change anything in the game. But maybe some people enjoy that? The gameplay is atrocious, if you want to make creatures, no point in getting this over the creature creator.
  66. AnonymousMC
    Sep 5, 2008
    A "game" centered around a creature editor. A "game" that is a collection of watered down mini games. A "game" that manages to even screw up those mini games. Good if you like creating creatures but don't think for a moment that a cleverly designed creature will have any impact on the game. It's all bells & whistles and no content.
  67. NicoD.
    Sep 7, 2008
    You cannot buy this game, only rent it due to serious DRM issues. They made the evolution part too simple, too much Sims, too little real gameplay. Great concept, bad execution.
  68. BotzM.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Way too shallow and tedious. Every stage until space feels tacked on and contains at least one poorly implemented gimmick from a well done popular game that already exists. It feels like a cash in from ea due to the overly long dev time and obvious money that has been dumped into it. Just because it has a gigantic scope means nothing. The only thing that has panned out from the initial Way too shallow and tedious. Every stage until space feels tacked on and contains at least one poorly implemented gimmick from a well done popular game that already exists. It feels like a cash in from ea due to the overly long dev time and obvious money that has been dumped into it. Just because it has a gigantic scope means nothing. The only thing that has panned out from the initial hype is the creator programs and those are rendered worthless since nothing you make in them has any bearing on how you actually play the game. Maybe with the 20 expansions they are sure to release it will turn out to be something special but will wright should be ashamed releasing something like this considering the record of quality he had achieved with maxis. Expand
  69. customernotbuying
    Sep 8, 2008
    The DRM scheme of the sofware industry is promoting piracy and punishing buyers. Get it out please. P.S Metacritic not displaying user reviews drops them way down in my opinion, can hardly believe the amount of sites not allowing negative reviews.
  70. bobw.
    Sep 8, 2008
    Invasive DRM and an unbelievably dumbed down gameplay experience make this one a miss. Do yourself a big favor and spend the money on a cheap hooker to kick you a bunch of times in the crotch instead.
  71. IvanC.
    Sep 9, 2008
    This game is broken, The copy-protection prevents thousands of users from logging on. I've sent my copy back to Amazon for a full refund.
  72. JonttuP.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Most boring game ever! Makers spent too much of their time by making stupid editors. That's why the game itself is really boring and has no good content. Dont buy this one!
  73. JonG.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Fun game. Doesn't go deep enough into any of the modes to be that involving. You'll probably play it once and be done. Awful DRM takes a pretty decent game and makes it a sure fire don't buy.
  74. John
    Sep 9, 2008
    There was no warning of any rootkit DRM during installation. Only after installing the game and looking on the internet for any fansites did i find out about these "features". Trust me that next time i wont be so quickly to buy games when they are firstly released. You can better wait untill the first reviews come in to see whether the game will wreck your pc or not ... Why couldn't There was no warning of any rootkit DRM during installation. Only after installing the game and looking on the internet for any fansites did i find out about these "features". Trust me that next time i wont be so quickly to buy games when they are firstly released. You can better wait untill the first reviews come in to see whether the game will wreck your pc or not ... Why couldn't they just use the (valve) steam system for activation instead of illegal privacy invading rootkits. Expand
  75. spores.
    Sep 9, 2008
    This game could be ok, but i don't want to install another copy protection driver that will mess with my computer, i am sick of reinstalls.
  76. JaquierJ.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Clearly EA just doesn't get it. A perfectly good game can be absolutely destroyed if they use an out of date, and completely useless, not to mention often unstable and harmful DRM. Get with the picture. This had the potential to be a brilliant game, but EA got greedy and decided to screw the honest consumer.
  77. tristanp
    Oct 3, 2009
    spore was a great game at first but its lack of specific jobs and missions leave you kind of wondering "why am i playng this, its exactly the same every time?"
  78. KS
    Jan 5, 2009
    1) Simplified beyond belief. 2) Overhyped to the extent of extreme disappointment. 3) Digital Rights Management and EA Customer support has prevented me from using this game's online content (Access to other people's creatures) despite my legal version. It's very bad form to release a game like this and treat customers so poorly. I wish I could still return this one.
  79. PeteW.
    Oct 1, 2008
    Desoite the DRM. The game is boring within 3 days. I waited a year to buy it. Save your money. Only an 8 year old would enjoy this simplistic game.
  80. Dabi
    Oct 11, 2008
    If your looking for a action packed game to fight for survival, your at the wrong game, all you do is play arcade-games, i mean sure you get to kill, but that doesn't help you survive. This game is for kids, not people looking for a serious time like me, to bad you don't get refunds. 2: 10 For kids, -2 for adults = 8.
  81. LeviK.
    Oct 15, 2008
    Mildly entertaining for a few hours, Spore quickly becomes a chore to play. The fabulous creature editor turns out be a gimmick basically. All that really matters is what parts you put on it. And it doesn't even matter how many of a particular part you use. Two legs, three, four, it doesn't make any difference if you use the same ones. Same thing goes for mouths. I thought it Mildly entertaining for a few hours, Spore quickly becomes a chore to play. The fabulous creature editor turns out be a gimmick basically. All that really matters is what parts you put on it. And it doesn't even matter how many of a particular part you use. Two legs, three, four, it doesn't make any difference if you use the same ones. Same thing goes for mouths. I thought it would be amazingly powerful to have 3 mouths on my creature but it turns out those 3 have the same effect as just using one. Everything has been oversimplified. I'm sure kids will have fun playing it, but if you are looking for a deep complicated game that will make you think, Spore is not what you are looking for. Expand
  82. J.S.
    Oct 17, 2008
    Spore is a big let down. As others have said it comes across as being a series of extremely simple mini-games centered around the best part of the game - the creature creator. This, combined with technical issues for a lot of people, slow patching, and the immediate release (no surprise, but still...) of an expansion pack when the game feels so incomplete leaves me with the feeling of Spore is a big let down. As others have said it comes across as being a series of extremely simple mini-games centered around the best part of the game - the creature creator. This, combined with technical issues for a lot of people, slow patching, and the immediate release (no surprise, but still...) of an expansion pack when the game feels so incomplete leaves me with the feeling of being ripped off and mildly insulted. They relaxed a little bit on the horrible DRM, but it still remains a limited install system. Expand
  83. Kyle
    Dec 15, 2008
    The creature creator was fantastically done. The game however was short and the gameplay can be outdone by some online flash games I've played. Over hyped and underperformed. Not worth the money. If you really want to get the most out of your cash simply pay the 10 bucks for the creature creator. I ended up paying 10 for the creature creator and then 50 for the game which also came The creature creator was fantastically done. The game however was short and the gameplay can be outdone by some online flash games I've played. Over hyped and underperformed. Not worth the money. If you really want to get the most out of your cash simply pay the 10 bucks for the creature creator. I ended up paying 10 for the creature creator and then 50 for the game which also came with the creature creator. I definitely feel ripped off by that. I played the game solidly for about 5 days before getting bored and I havent played it for months now. Outstanding concept, but very very poorly done with regards to gameplay and replay value. You can only make so many interesting creatures before you realize you cant do anything fun with them. Expand
  84. DevinO.
    Oct 23, 2008
    Invasive DRM, completely fails to live up to the hype, incredibly annoying mandatory 'escortlike' missions, very few options to control creature content, expan$ion released a month after launch.... a perfect no hitter. AVOID.
  85. LouieA
    Oct 30, 2008
    A combination of 4 poorly made games, in fact the best thing about this game is probably the cell stage, then it becomes just plain stupid, i mean who ever heard of a pack or zebras trying to charm a pack lions by dancing, singing or posing what was that all about? the civ stage, is very bad rts game, that you could beat in about 10 mins, and the space stage, woulda been nice if it A combination of 4 poorly made games, in fact the best thing about this game is probably the cell stage, then it becomes just plain stupid, i mean who ever heard of a pack or zebras trying to charm a pack lions by dancing, singing or posing what was that all about? the civ stage, is very bad rts game, that you could beat in about 10 mins, and the space stage, woulda been nice if it wasn't for the fact that you can't explore since you get attacked every 30 secs by pirates or enemy's, and im not even gonna mention the whole DRM, thing, the game does shine on the creature or vehicle editors, those are amazing, that;s why I gave it a 4, other than that, well its very dissapointing, and just a bad game. Expand
  86. HamishB.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Iv been waiting for this game for four years so i finally get it and just wtf i mean really were is the gore a realism i was promised in the original alpha stage trailer, i loved the look of it in the alpha stage the cells dint have giant eyes. the only reason i gave it 2 is because of the building which u can play for at lease half-hour. only play this game if your under 10 and think Iv been waiting for this game for four years so i finally get it and just wtf i mean really were is the gore a realism i was promised in the original alpha stage trailer, i loved the look of it in the alpha stage the cells dint have giant eyes. the only reason i gave it 2 is because of the building which u can play for at lease half-hour. only play this game if your under 10 and think watching stupid monsters kill each other with over sized clubs. Expand
  87. AnonymousMC
    Oct 7, 2008
    I, like so many other people have been waiting for spore for a long, long time. I remember saying at one point that I was going to become a hermit for a few months and liviing off tinned food while just absorbing everything the game promised.

Well, thank god for my health that it turned out to be an undeniably charming, but ultimately shallow and uninteresting title. You will have

You will have the most fun in the first 20 minutes of the game with your cell, and the first hour or two of the space stage. The stages inbetween are poor attempts at tried and tested genre's, but lets cover every stage. Too start you have the cell stage, which is simple fun personified. You use your mouse to swim your little cell around, avoid things bigger and strong then you that will try to eat you, while either eating other smaller, weaker creatures or plant matter. There is not much more to it then that, but it feels very vibrant and alive and I atleast found it the most fun aspect of the entire experience. Next comes the creature phase, and if you've played any MMO's you've played this. Except there is no social aspect of chatting innanely to your friends to relieve tedium, there are no fun abilities and it's generally just incredibly dull. The games most vaunted feature, the creature creator, is stunted by the need to complete repetitive tasks for pieces and the need to equip certain bits so that you can survive and succeed easily and get the drudgery over as soon as you can. Next is the tribal phase, which is a simplistic RTS with a lousey outfit creator, and 'diplomacy' and 'combat' that requires no different playstyles from one another and is thankfully over before you feel the need to inject aresnic into your eyesockets. Up next is the civilization phase, which is very similar to the tribal phase, and is only made slightly more interesting by the vehicle and building designers, which are not stunted by dull seeking mechanics and are genuinely powerful and entertaining distractions from the complete lack of gameplay.

But the developers have said the core of the game is really the space stage which is vast and expansive and fun to explore.
    For a couple of hours I enjoyed it, flying about trading multi coloured dust, abudticing things, shooting things with lasers...but it quickly grew repetitive. Planet terraforming and populating is uninteresting and really, very very linear. You can unbalance a planet by removing a species, but you can't by adding them, you can't move unadvanced civilisations to an enemies planet to see what happens, ultimate there are infinetly more you can'ts then, you cans and you'll get bored with your limited options. I wanted to like this game. In the end i played to the space stage once, then uninstalled it. Don't waste your money.
  88. AnonymousMC
    Sep 11, 2008
    I have no problem with the gameplay itself. If it were playable it would be fun. This game is so full of bugs and glitches that the message boards and forums are full of irate customersmyself included, complaining about how they can't even play the game because it crashes so frequently.
  89. AnonymousMC
    Sep 11, 2008
    This game has tremendous scope, and I tried really hard to like it because of that. Unfortunately this game is like three or four really bad games strung together with some neat editors. It has no substance at best and is totally unbalanced to the point of being unplayable at worst.
  90. BrianK
    Sep 11, 2008
    Whilst enjoyable for a short while, not unlike the many flash games that populate the internet, Spore ultimately suffers from similar flaws. The first 4 stages honestly feel like a series of mini-games that are added on for the purpose of adding more than just the space stage. The cell stage is fantastic.... for the 30 minutes it will take you to have done and seen everything it has to Whilst enjoyable for a short while, not unlike the many flash games that populate the internet, Spore ultimately suffers from similar flaws. The first 4 stages honestly feel like a series of mini-games that are added on for the purpose of adding more than just the space stage. The cell stage is fantastic.... for the 30 minutes it will take you to have done and seen everything it has to offer, after which you are essentially "done" there. Creature mode fares a bit better, lasting a bit longer.... but ultimately you soon learn that you've done all there really is to do in the first 5 minutes, which is to say meet another tribe, befriend or extinct them, then make a new version of your creature. Get ready to repeat that about 20 times. Tribal mode has the depth and richness traditionally associated with mini-games in other games, and really offers nothing not done far better in other games. Civilisation is really the same : done better elsewhere. Space, which if we're being honest the real game, is curious. It more or less totally voids the creative actions of the previous stages, as the only time your species is seen is on the communication screen when you talk to them, or as tiny dots in your colonies. The tanks, boats and planes from the civ stage, that you probably spent more time designing than playing the actual stage, are essentially wasted as you'll only see the old ones hanging around on your home planet, which you will almost never visit. The learning curve takes a suddeny spike here, with the game going from ridiculously easy to suddenly incomprehensible, but somehow Will Wright manages a kind of dark alchemy and achieves the seemingly impossible task of going from mouse-smashingly hard when you start to pathetically easy once you know what's going on. Ultimately your urge to make random things will soon burn itself out and you will be left profoundly unsatisfied. Expand
  91. StevenW.
    Sep 10, 2008
    This game, switches from a sidescroller, to a 3rd person MMO type game, then to a RTS type game. The problem is that the gameplay is like that of a pretty bad game in each of the genres.
  92. CraigH
    Sep 11, 2008
    3 Installs are you kidding me? The game isn't good. This DRM is worse then what Bioshock's WAS, they fixed that. This better get patched. Oh and while patching. Incorporate some good plot points and fun game play. What a rip off. Truly Angry.
  93. WL.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Crappy Mac support, Let down in the evolution department (4 arms still only hold 1 tool; heck, I have 2 arms and I can hold 2 tools). Install problems have already used of 2 of my 3 Limited Installs.
  94. RandyC.
    Sep 10, 2008
    I was convinced to try this based on the reviews. After 2 failed installs I looked up the user reviews and now I see that it's probably a SECURom issue. Great, another company calling me a thief after taking my non-refundable money. Class action lawsuit?
  95. WillW.
    Sep 10, 2008
    WTF is up with a game released in 2008 without an invert mouse option? Am I missing something here?
  96. JamieJ
    Sep 11, 2008
    Interesting when you first play through it, for about 6-7hrs... But then you get to the space stage, and after all the reviews and comments think "this is where the game will get really fun"... But nope, after 5-6 hours of playing, you realise that you're doing the same thing over and over. Your planets are all being attacked at the same time, so you're rushing around to defend Interesting when you first play through it, for about 6-7hrs... But then you get to the space stage, and after all the reviews and comments think "this is where the game will get really fun"... But nope, after 5-6 hours of playing, you realise that you're doing the same thing over and over. Your planets are all being attacked at the same time, so you're rushing around to defend non-stop and have barely any time to actually invest in building up planets. The game looks brilliant, but the gameplay is terrible. There is no real evolution, just building, and your creature means nothing by civilization stage. Way overhyped, and unfortunately will make far more money than it really deserves. Not worth buying. Expand
  97. AaronB
    Sep 10, 2008
    Huge disappointment. Where we were showed huge amounts of depth, the game has been ridiculously dumbed down for the casual gaming market. When you actually do reach a decent amount of depth in the space phase, your planet is under attack every 2 minutes, limiting you from enjoying the experience to explore and do whatever you want. Probably the biggest disappointment I've ever had Huge disappointment. Where we were showed huge amounts of depth, the game has been ridiculously dumbed down for the casual gaming market. When you actually do reach a decent amount of depth in the space phase, your planet is under attack every 2 minutes, limiting you from enjoying the experience to explore and do whatever you want. Probably the biggest disappointment I've ever had from a Maxis game. Expand
  98. J.T.F.
    Sep 12, 2008
    First I have to say this Game would get a 4.5 or 5.0 if it would not have the the compy protection in which I ran about 48h after buying the game through a unfortunate Harddisk crash. To the game itself. It did engage me for about 12h. Then it was done. and the replay value is quite limited, since besides nice looking things you can not change realy any functionality. Nice System and First I have to say this Game would get a 4.5 or 5.0 if it would not have the the compy protection in which I ran about 48h after buying the game through a unfortunate Harddisk crash. To the game itself. It did engage me for about 12h. Then it was done. and the replay value is quite limited, since besides nice looking things you can not change realy any functionality. Nice System and Laboratory, but not for 48 Expand
  99. AnonymousMC
    Sep 12, 2008
    Fails on a number of levels. The DRM makes the game unplayable for a great deal of paying customers, and once you're in, you're just playing sub-par flash games with spiffy graphics. The game shoves you from era to era, with nothing to do but complete some objective you're given for evolving or expanding, which is just awful if you're trying to create a versatile gameFails on a number of levels. The DRM makes the game unplayable for a great deal of paying customers, and once you're in, you're just playing sub-par flash games with spiffy graphics. The game shoves you from era to era, with nothing to do but complete some objective you're given for evolving or expanding, which is just awful if you're trying to create a versatile game engine. If you like flashy graphics and fawning over the creature creator, the creature creator already does that. Expand
  100. MattW.
    Sep 12, 2008
    I can't believe how badly Will Wright missed the mark here, one of the biggest disappointments I can recall as long as I've been playing games. The only impressive aspect of the entire game is the creature creator and animation system, but that ends up being totally hollow because it's purely cosmetic and your decisions don't matter. There's no game here and I can't believe how badly Will Wright missed the mark here, one of the biggest disappointments I can recall as long as I've been playing games. The only impressive aspect of the entire game is the creature creator and animation system, but that ends up being totally hollow because it's purely cosmetic and your decisions don't matter. There's no game here and there's no sandbox either. And then EA goes and makes the experience terrible for anyone who actually wants to pay for their subpar product with absurd limitations on both the retail and download versions. Memo to PC Gamers: Stop pirating games, but don'/t support garbage like this. Spend your money with Valve or Stardock. Expand

1. Play (Poland)
    How to design a game that spans from swimming in a drop of water to ruling the galaxy? Will Wright knows how: as simple as possible. Spore deserves success on "The Sims" scale. [Sept 2008]
  2. Spore's triumph is painfully ironic. By setting out to instill a sense of wonderment at creation and the majesty of the universe, it's shown us that it's actually a lot more interesting to sit here at our computers and explore the contents of each other's brains. [October 2008, p.64]
    Spore manages quite some feats – it's accessible for casual gamers, but at the same time so real and dynamic, able to offer hardcore gamers a demanding experience and, obviously, a more appealing one than in "The Sims".