4.9

1. Jan 29, 2013
    What the f*** is with all of the bad reviews? Sure, its a terrible excuse for the trailers, but you shouldn't just give it an instant 0. Even though I was still disappointed myself, its still an enjoyable game. In what other game will you be able make and evolve your own space-faring species and conquer the galaxy? Its very fun to also just make creatures, and flex your creative mind.
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    Many people who complain about how much the game has downgraded since the 2005 version forget that it's still a GOOD game overall. The core game is really more of a pleasant distraction; the true appeal lies in the creators, which allow you to create anything - anything at all - if you're creative enough. Still, there's something succinctly endearing about watching your own creation grow and mature as you guide it from microbe to spaceman. It could do with expansion and development of the core concept, and I would be lying if I were to say that I wouldn't welcome a more fleshed-out creature stage, but the things that are lacking aren't strictly needed. All in all, this is an engrossing, likable envisionment of a wonderful concept that will appeal most to the casual demographic. Expand
  3. Jul 30, 2011
    I am honestly disappointed that this game has gotten bad user reviews so far. In my opinion, this is a great game that took a lot of hard time and effort to make. The style of the game is very unique, like a cross between The Sims and and one of those strategy progressive games like Age of Empires, although the space stage is more like a star wars/star trek epic, and the creature stage is more like the Sims than the other parts. I, being a huge nerd and Sci-Fi fan, loved this game when it first came out. The scientific elements is very realistic for a very cartoon-ish game, and can be very educational for kids about the age of 8-14. A lot of people are complaining because they feel that the game is centered around the creature creator, but that's not what the game is about. It's about creating these creatures and paving the way of their outcome till they become every thing you've dreamed of. Well, maybe it's not the game for everyone, but I think more people should give the game a chance. Expand
  4. Nov 20, 2011
    I am reviewing this game for what it is, not what it isn't. Spore is overall, a decent game. I recommend you get it though steam though, as the game has a crippling DRM that will ruin the price. Anyways, the game is 30.00, not that bad for a decent title. It consists of 5 stages and 2 DLCs. The stages are Cell, Creature, Tribal, Civ, and Space. Cell- Overall interesting, albeit simplistic. Eat things that you can eat (Green plants for herbivores, other cells for carnivores or meat chunks, both for omnivores, but no meat chunks unless you use both mouth types). Gives you the impression your growing, make it its own game and add some levels and you have a good game that could sell well on its own. Add in a custom character customizer and you have a perfect game. 9/10

Creature- Bland, not much to it, make a creature, fight or befriend others, Needs more options for attacks and social abilities. Also, its rather buggy. But it works i guess. Would never sell on its own as a game 7/10

Tribe- Insanely hard. Least favorite stage for such a casual game. Needs more content, needs to be less difficult 6/10

Civilization- Good enough, blow up cities, make deals, new outfitter and vehicle customizers, fun to play with, not the best stage though. Prefer it to be longer and more challenging though. 8/10

Space- Very nice, has all creators so far except cell and early creature creators. Fun exploring, near perfect game play, hard to play though, but satisfying when you win, It contains elements from all the other stages, making it so you need to be clever about your tactics. Excellent pastime, great stage. 10/10

DLCs:

Galactic Adevtures: Nifty new creator that i absolutely love, new types of missions in the space stage, new creature creator that has what i was looking for, nice adventure mode which makes things a lot more interesting as time goes by. Doesn't add much content to other stages though. 8/10

Creepy And Cute: Nice parts for creature creator, but they are just reskins except for the feet, hands and details. Overpriced, unnecessary, get it if you see it on sale for 5-10 bucks. 5/10

Bot Parts: Free with a doctor pepper, parts look nice, don't serve much of a purpose though. Can't get it anymore. Also has bug fixes. 10/10, but its not available anymore and not available in anywhere except the U.S. and Canada. So 8/10

Overall:

Fun: 8/10 Enough to keep you busy

Graphics: 10/10 Good enough, nothing spectacular, looks kiddish and neat though.

Creativity: 11/10 Second best to Minecraft.

Story: 7/10 Generic. But amusing at the end game.

Community: 5/10 Too much drama going on about nothing. Thank god there is no multiplayer.

Value: 9/10 30 Dollars is an OK price. Buy it if its for less though, but get it anyways if you can.

Expectations (Without knowing of older trailers): 10/10 Exceeds expectations

Expectations (With knowing of older trailers): 6/10 Not NEARLY as good as it looked, but its the same game for the most part and is good enough.

Overall Score: 9/10, 8/10 for Retail version. Get on steam or origin
  5. Aug 14, 2012
    absolutly the best game of all time and my personal favorite game as well, its just so fun! its also very creative and let me bring to life all my favorite ideas into a game! theres such a massive amount of things to do that it keeps me playing all day, and the next day and the next day! the best game i've ever spent my money on! i only have a few complaints, one is that it crashes alot and moves slowly sometimes in the heat of combat, and it doesnt always send my creations to the sporepedia website, but other than those faults, i say get this game immedietly! :DDDDD Expand
  6. May 16, 2012
    ok lets get this strait. You guys have to stop rating this game basing it on other versions. simonli2575 would have given an 8 but he saw a different version. Another thing: if there was no complexity bar it would be stupid and make the game too easy!!!!! You guys are also leaving out one of the main features of the game, THE CREATION MODE!!!! This is one of the best features of the game and everyone is acting like it doesnt exist. Now that thats settled, my review. The game is fun, creative, and has endless possibilities, that is if you have a good imagination. it has good graphics and is super fun. It would be cool if the earlier stages were longer like cell, creature, and tribal. Awesome game, been playing it for years havent gotten bored since. 10 out of 10 Expand
  7. Feb 10, 2014
    This is the single best game ever played by any human being evah. It is the holy grail of games. That shall have it's praise sung from the halls of Asgard, all the way to the small, mouse holes in prehistoric America. 6/10, IGN.
  8. Jan 2, 2013
    Spores a great game worth trying. I played 40 hours of it and loved it. It lost a mark because the expansion packs were horrible. The evolution idea was brilliant
  9. Mar 21, 2013
    I got spore a long time ago when I was about 11. I simply adored it. But is this just because I was young? No. I played it for a while, making more advanced creatures, houses, cars and spaceships as I developed my creativity. The gameplay itself I enjoyed considerably less but it was still enjoyable, I found some of the stages repetitive and tedious but otherwise it was a very amusing and fun game. I personally loved playing all sorts of different creatures, I loved it how you could customize virtually everything and how your....creature progressed through evolutionary stages. Its simply amazing that you can conquer the entire universe (I think you can.) There are so many different options you can take to change your creature and it really feels like you're the one who's doing it. The combat itself I found....a bit too simple but for a game aimed at kiddywinkles I think its fair to say there won't be any kind of mutilation .Shame. With so many things you can do in the game, so many things you can create I would strongly recommend it. Expand
  10. Jul 24, 2013
    Recommended: Get this at Target. I bought this game 6 months ago. I was totally entertained. From worst stages to best:

Creature

Cell

Tribe

Civilization

SPAAAACE!

But the reason why i gave this a 9 is because sims 3 is better.
  11. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is what it is. people complain its too simple, others complain its too complex and they hate RTS games. which one is it? and the complains of "it doesn't deliver" are just plain invalid. if a game doesn't met your hyped expectation doesn't make it a bad game. this game is what it is and that's a very entertaining, cute life simulator where later on you need to manage the massiveness you've spawned. no game can live up to the hype people or the game made of it, this game suffered a lot form it critically. awesome game to past the time, and awesome for the kiddies too. Expand
  12. Oct 19, 2013
    Spore is one of the most innovative games that EA has released. It remains my favorite game of all time due to its decision making and realism. Many people say the gameplay is bad but if you give it a chance, it really is a very fun game.
  13. Dec 4, 2013
    I was introduced to this by a friend. Ever scince I looked forward to playing it. It was a awesome experience and you should try it and spend some money you (or someone elce) have worked hard to earn on this game.
  14. Jan 12, 2014
    Great game! The creature creator is really fun, and the progression through the stages is really cool! To watch your creature go from a cell to a huge space empire is one of the coolest things about it! It is really fun, and has great replay value!
  15. Apr 17, 2014
    Although a lot of people hate this game and think Spore isn't a great game, i'm one of those people who have rated this game as my favorite PC game. The best mechanic is how your choices early on impact your future in the final stage. Literally the funnest experience and is really unique from any other game i've ever played regardless of graphics. And for those people who think this game is so easy and repetitive - Stop playing on the easiest difficulty. Expand

1. How to design a game that spans from swimming in a drop of water to ruling the galaxy? Will Wright knows how: as simple as possible. Spore deserves success on "The Sims" scale. [Sept 2008]
  2. Spore's triumph is painfully ironic. By setting out to instill a sense of wonderment at creation and the majesty of the universe, it's shown us that it's actually a lot more interesting to sit here at our computers and explore the contents of each other's brains. [October 2008, p.64]
    Spore manages quite some feats – it's accessible for casual gamers, but at the same time so real and dynamic, able to offer hardcore gamers a demanding experience and, obviously, a more appealing one than in "The Sims".