Spore PC

5.3

1. Aug 8, 2014
    Spore is game about the evolution life creature and the history of fist creature on planet. This game is good, i think. Maybe if i can play online is much better.
  2. Feb 10, 2014
    My eight year old self adored this game, as a nerdy gamer child who liked to play God. Some say the promotional demos played by Wil and some of the team were better than the final product and they are right. The original tech demos were amazing and looked like they could have been one of the greatest games of all time. The end product is a slightly watered down, childish version of theMy eight year old self adored this game, as a nerdy gamer child who liked to play God. Some say the promotional demos played by Wil and some of the team were better than the final product and they are right. The original tech demos were amazing and looked like they could have been one of the greatest games of all time. The end product is a slightly watered down, childish version of the demos; but it's a fun watered down, childish version of the demos. Expand
  3. HelloGoodbye
    Sep 14, 2008
    Spore is one of the most unique games ever created. Absolutely brilliant. Warning! Spore is not for anyone. you must be a creative and imaginative person to really play this game. This game is all about creating ridiculous species and plants. YOU GET TO MOLD AND SHAPE PLANETS o.O Now the game is severly bugged mind you. Which is to be expected... the game is a 3D modeling engine much Spore is one of the most unique games ever created. Absolutely brilliant. Warning! Spore is not for anyone. you must be a creative and imaginative person to really play this game. This game is all about creating ridiculous species and plants. YOU GET TO MOLD AND SHAPE PLANETS o.O Now the game is severly bugged mind you. Which is to be expected... the game is a 3D modeling engine much similiar to Maya, 3DS, and/or XSI. These programs use billions of calculus and physics equations every time you create an object. If it does too much it goes wacko. Much like the those modeling programs i stated earlier do when you work on them. The whole "they keep attacking me and i only have time to do that" attack at them focus mainly on their colony bomb the colony drop a colony pack heal and go for the next planet... Homeworlds... terraform them to T0 then leave planet and reenter and only one outpost to kill now. Each stage is a different genre so some will appeal to some and some will not appeal to others... Its a game of personal oppinion. Play a stage, make a creature and/or vehicle and make up your own mind. I think its brilliant even with its flaws Expand
  4. LavinD.
    Sep 10, 2008
    For the past few years, we have been dreaming about free-form liberty games, in which anything is possible and there is a dynamic story. First, it was the Sims and then GTA, and no better than ever its SPORE, Welcome to the future of gaming.
  5. ApuN.
    Sep 9, 2008
    The graphicson the game are outstanding and the gameplay is excellent. You can't find a better game than that in the whole universe. SPORE RULES!!
  6. AlB.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Groundbreaking science game. The detail is outstanding. Wish for better controls, custom options and multiple save files. DRM sucks.
  7. FabianO.
    Oct 3, 2008
    A consistently charming and affectionate portrayal of the coming of life to the world. Contains a perfect sense of scale, equally bonding you to your creature and marveling you with the scale of the world. A must buy.
  8. JennyS.
    Oct 4, 2008
    This would have been the perfect game by my standards, I did not encounter any problems with it, there are afew things that are missing, i would preferr a greater interaction between allies, the role of being a merchant, biiologist, relics collector and a warrior is too much, the allies should cooperated together. I do enjoy playing it.
  9. OliV
    Sep 10, 2008
    Very original, and a great game! First four phases are a great build up to the amazing space stage. Best game I have played in a long time, and I don't think there'll be anything more epic, fun and creative for a long time.
  10. AndreasK.
    Sep 10, 2008
    As long as you see Spore for what it is and not for what you wanted it to be (in which case you will naturally be disappointed), you will find a very good and entertaining game. However, this game actually requires the player to PLAY, a thing a lot of people can't cope with. It's like a box of LEGO blocks. If you have no fantasy and imagination whatsoever, then you will As long as you see Spore for what it is and not for what you wanted it to be (in which case you will naturally be disappointed), you will find a very good and entertaining game. However, this game actually requires the player to PLAY, a thing a lot of people can't cope with. It's like a box of LEGO blocks. If you have no fantasy and imagination whatsoever, then you will naturally find the "gameplay" with them shallow and boring. Expand
  11. Anth_87
    Sep 10, 2008
    Very original idea with about as much replayability that a single-player game can afford. To those people complaining that each of the 5 stages aren't very deep, wake up to yourselves. It's 1 game, not 5 games in one! Of course each stage is going to lack depth, but the very fact that you get to play all five negates that. If you want deep games in each category, then go out and Very original idea with about as much replayability that a single-player game can afford. To those people complaining that each of the 5 stages aren't very deep, wake up to yourselves. It's 1 game, not 5 games in one! Of course each stage is going to lack depth, but the very fact that you get to play all five negates that. If you want deep games in each category, then go out and buy 5 of them! Well done Will Wright, fantastic game. Expand
  12. JeffreyC.
    Sep 15, 2008
    This is a game that's like no other. The originality of the game and the broadness of the game makes it a great game worth playing. The game stages run through many genres. The only issue is its ambition is more than the practicality of the gameplay.
  13. PhilB
    Sep 10, 2008
    Absolutely brilliant - every time you play it its different all the stages are shockingly unique and will take you a long time to beat it. 10 / 10
  14. Sadron
    Sep 30, 2008
    The game was designed for a casual open-minded audience, I.E., not you hardcore foaming mouth thickies. 9/10, some flaws, but a wondrous package all together.
  15. TravisS.
    Sep 4, 2008
    An amazing game from start to finish. Taking time to create your own world and play in it is a unique experience. This game is not meant to be played from start to finish like a traditional linear game. Spore is a game about creating your own story, your own adventure, and your own goals. After over ten hours of none stop play I can assure you. If you treat this game like a traditional An amazing game from start to finish. Taking time to create your own world and play in it is a unique experience. This game is not meant to be played from start to finish like a traditional linear game. Spore is a game about creating your own story, your own adventure, and your own goals. After over ten hours of none stop play I can assure you. If you treat this game like a traditional gamer, you will be disappointed. This is coming from an avid gamer since the ATARI 2600. However, creating everything and exploring the world around you is one of the most satisfying experience I have had in gaming history. What are you waiting for, go pick it up. Expand
  16. ChrisM
    Nov 10, 2008
    Its a good game overall. I agree, the depth could have been much more engrossing, but again, Will Wright was forced to make the game friendly for everyone. The scope is fascinating, and with a little more time, some expansions, maybe a whole new sequel for us more hardcore players, it would be everything anyone could want
  17. ToddS
    Sep 22, 2008
    This is a wonderful game. It's not totally nihilistic in that you have options for making allies and avoiding conflict. It gives a slight sense of the fun God must have had putting life forms together. You also don't spend all of your time destroying and killing (but you can if you want to). My son loves this as do I. It's neat to try on different roles (egThis is a wonderful game. It's not totally nihilistic in that you have options for making allies and avoiding conflict. It gives a slight sense of the fun God must have had putting life forms together. You also don't spend all of your time destroying and killing (but you can if you want to). My son loves this as do I. It's neat to try on different roles (eg carnivore/predator/aggressor vs vegetarian/ diplomat) and see how it effects your evolution as a species/lifeform/civilization.

Also, alot has been said about EA's "draconian" DRM. I say bollocks! It's no less user unfriendly tha Steam and Their download policy isn't as sucktacular as people let on. Personally, I found EA to be easy to work with.
  18. Dec 28, 2011
    Many people who complain about how much the game has downgraded since the 2005 version forget that it's still a GOOD game overall. The core game is really more of a pleasant distraction; the true appeal lies in the creators, which allow you to create anything - anything at all - if you're creative enough. Still, there's something succinctly endearing about watching your own creation growMany people who complain about how much the game has downgraded since the 2005 version forget that it's still a GOOD game overall. The core game is really more of a pleasant distraction; the true appeal lies in the creators, which allow you to create anything - anything at all - if you're creative enough. Still, there's something succinctly endearing about watching your own creation grow and mature as you guide it from microbe to spaceman. It could do with expansion and development of the core concept, and I would be lying if I were to say that I wouldn't welcome a more fleshed-out creature stage, but the things that are lacking aren't strictly needed. All in all, this is an engrossing, likable envisionment of a wonderful concept that will appeal most to the casual demographic. Expand
  19. Mar 12, 2011
    Spore is a brilliant game the first time you play it. Afterwards, its just boring and far, far, far, far, far, far too easy. The game's graphics are extremely childish and unrealistic but that said the concept of the game and its gameplay is really good. Creating a creature is tons of fun and then being able to play as it, be it herbivore, carnivore or omnivore but some of the controls areSpore is a brilliant game the first time you play it. Afterwards, its just boring and far, far, far, far, far, far too easy. The game's graphics are extremely childish and unrealistic but that said the concept of the game and its gameplay is really good. Creating a creature is tons of fun and then being able to play as it, be it herbivore, carnivore or omnivore but some of the controls are rather...dogy. The game has a lot of possibilites but had a lot of potential it hasn't met. Its surprising the game is 4 years old already! Its seems like only last year when i bought it for the first time. Its a good game, not brilliant but its creativity and concept do give it some credit. Its a game more for children - EA really has centred on child safety and friendly games, especially on Spore. Expand
  20. GregFigge
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fantastic addicting game that will eat your time away while your eating other cells or abdupting aliens. This game is great and I would recommend it for ages 8-20. It is very fun, good graphics, and its amazing how you go through different stages and can choose many different paths. Truly a great and my favorite game
  21. PatrickK.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Nice game, runs well with only a few bugs / design flaws. would get a 10 if there was extended gameplay in tribal and civ stages but they are somewhat basic. * major flaw is not being able to skip tutorial dialogue (which can lead to those skipping cinematics between stages not being able to click on the required objective as the screen has not zoomed into place and the tutorial dialogue Nice game, runs well with only a few bugs / design flaws. would get a 10 if there was extended gameplay in tribal and civ stages but they are somewhat basic. * major flaw is not being able to skip tutorial dialogue (which can lead to those skipping cinematics between stages not being able to click on the required objective as the screen has not zoomed into place and the tutorial dialogue locks out movement control). Expand
  22. MattD
    Jan 10, 2009
    This game was way overhyped. That said the product while not revelutionary it is unique and not bad. Spore is like allot of decent games in one because the gameplay changes with each stage. I think the space stage is actually the funnest part of the game its like diablo with ships but also the most challenging and sometimes irritating. Especially when I am in the middle of one thing then This game was way overhyped. That said the product while not revelutionary it is unique and not bad. Spore is like allot of decent games in one because the gameplay changes with each stage. I think the space stage is actually the funnest part of the game its like diablo with ships but also the most challenging and sometimes irritating. Especially when I am in the middle of one thing then my homeworld randomly gets invaded or someones ecosystem is about to collapse. I hate when timers go up for me to complete two things at once. I am trying to expand a galactic empire here! So yes its both irritating but addicting. The other stages aren't very challenging I got through the them in a few days. Its not the best game but its unique and addicting so I'm glad I bought it. Expand
  23. JavierD.
    Sep 28, 2008
    I refuse to include the DRM in this equation because it has no impact on the actual gameplay experience whatsoever. That said, I like this game because of the sheer amount of possibilities the creators offer, as well as the gameplay which is able to hold its head above the water enough for me. Te Cell stage should incorporate player-generated content, the Creature stage needs an aquaticI refuse to include the DRM in this equation because it has no impact on the actual gameplay experience whatsoever. That said, I like this game because of the sheer amount of possibilities the creators offer, as well as the gameplay which is able to hold its head above the water enough for me. Te Cell stage should incorporate player-generated content, the Creature stage needs an aquatic substage in it for transition, the Tribal stage needs more resource variation, the Civ. stage needs harder AI and more vehicle choices, and the Space Stage needs more multitasking. But all in all, a very good game indeed. Expand
  24. JasonMitnick
    Dec 5, 2008
    What's with all the hate on this game? A 4.5 averge!? Are you guys serious? Sure it wasn't the "God of all games" most of us have been hoping for...but this truly is a great game, if not a little too simple...I agree that I was slightly disappointed as well, but this game does not deserve anywhere near as much hate as it is getting.
  25. Nov 20, 2011
    I am reviewing this game for what it is, not what it isn't. Spore is overall, a decent game. I recommend you get it though steam though, as the game has a crippling DRM that will ruin the price. Anyways, the game is 30.00, not that bad for a decent title. It consists of 5 stages and 2 DLCs. The stages are Cell, Creature, Tribal, Civ, and Space. Cell- Overall interesting, albeit simplistic.I am reviewing this game for what it is, not what it isn't. Spore is overall, a decent game. I recommend you get it though steam though, as the game has a crippling DRM that will ruin the price. Anyways, the game is 30.00, not that bad for a decent title. It consists of 5 stages and 2 DLCs. The stages are Cell, Creature, Tribal, Civ, and Space. Cell- Overall interesting, albeit simplistic. Eat things that you can eat (Green plants for herbivores, other cells for carnivores or meat chunks, both for omnivores, but no meat chunks unless you use both mouth types). Gives you the impression your growing, make it its own game and add some levels and you have a good game that could sell well on its own. Add in a custom character customizer and you have a perfect game. 9/10

Creature- Bland, not much to it, make a creature, fight or befriend others, Needs more options for attacks and social abilities. Also, its rather buggy. But it works i guess. Would never sell on its own as a game 7/10

Tribe- Insanely hard. Least favorite stage for such a casual game. Needs more content, needs to be less difficult 6/10

Civilization- Good enough, blow up cities, make deals, new outfitter and vehicle customizers, fun to play with, not the best stage though. Prefer it to be longer and more challenging though. 8/10

Space- Very nice, has all creators so far except cell and early creature creators. Fun exploring, near perfect game play, hard to play though, but satisfying when you win, It contains elements from all the other stages, making it so you need to be clever about your tactics. Excellent pastime, great stage. 10/10

DLCs:

Galactic Adevtures: Nifty new creator that i absolutely love, new types of missions in the space stage, new creature creator that has what i was looking for, nice adventure mode which makes things a lot more interesting as time goes by. Doesn't add much content to other stages though. 8/10

Creepy And Cute: Nice parts for creature creator, but they are just reskins except for the feet, hands and details. Overpriced, unnecessary, get it if you see it on sale for 5-10 bucks. 5/10

Bot Parts: Free with a doctor pepper, parts look nice, don't serve much of a purpose though. Can't get it anymore. Also has bug fixes. 10/10, but its not available anymore and not available in anywhere except the U.S. and Canada. So 8/10

Overall:

Fun: 8/10 Enough to keep you busy

Graphics: 10/10 Good enough, nothing spectacular, looks kiddish and neat though.

Creativity: 11/10 Second best to Minecraft.

Story: 7/10 Generic. But amusing at the end game.

Community: 5/10 Too much drama going on about nothing. Thank god there is no multiplayer.

Value: 9/10 30 Dollars is an OK price. Buy it if its for less though, but get it anyways if you can.

Expectations (Without knowing of older trailers): 10/10 Exceeds expectations

Expectations (With knowing of older trailers): 6/10 Not NEARLY as good as it looked, but its the same game for the most part and is good enough.

Overall Score: 9/10, 8/10 for Retail version. Get on steam or origin
  26. GunnarG.
    Sep 8, 2008
    A very good game if you're a creative person and like exploring the full potential of a limitless world. The main thing that holds this game together is the famous creature creator, without it the game would be quite dull. So if you don't like creating stuff, this game won't be your cup of tea.
  27. SamI.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Get over all the DRM gripes...the game itself is incredibly fun and innovative.
  28. BrendaP.
    Oct 2, 2008
    This game is fun everyone who rated it badly didnt do enough research on what it was about before they bought it and or are panzies.
  29. NW
    Oct 26, 2008
    Don't be mislead by all of these negative reviews. You'll notice that they're all by goal-oriented, hardcore players who went into Spore expecting some sort of gritty explosion-fest. Spore is a game meant to invoke your sense of wonder, and let you be creative. Its simplicity is its strong suit, and lets one create exactly the sort of cell/creature/vehicle/spaceship that Don't be mislead by all of these negative reviews. You'll notice that they're all by goal-oriented, hardcore players who went into Spore expecting some sort of gritty explosion-fest. Spore is a game meant to invoke your sense of wonder, and let you be creative. Its simplicity is its strong suit, and lets one create exactly the sort of cell/creature/vehicle/spaceship that one visualizes in his mind's eye without worrying about whether the rocket launcher or the machine gun has more DPS or range or whatever. Spore isn't a game for people who want to geek out about computer games. It's a game for the rest of us. Expand
  30. TommyN.
    Oct 8, 2008
    Very good. Could add stuff, but it's fine the way it is!
  31. ChrisW.
    Oct 9, 2008
    Wow -- there are a lot of strong opinions being posted about this game, and a lot of them are quite negative. I don't disagree with a lot of criticisms people are voicing, but I fear they are missing the point of this game. Spore was never designed to be an RTS, an RPG, or a game from any of the other well-known genres out there. Rather, Spore is about the evolution and ascension of Wow -- there are a lot of strong opinions being posted about this game, and a lot of them are quite negative. I don't disagree with a lot of criticisms people are voicing, but I fear they are missing the point of this game. Spore was never designed to be an RTS, an RPG, or a game from any of the other well-known genres out there. Rather, Spore is about the evolution and ascension of your personal creation throughout its long struggle for survival. When I think of Spore I think of the opening credits for the now-deceased television series, "Enterprise". While this was the least successful of the Star Trek series (and widely panned by critics), I think it had the best opening credits. Instead of the typical montage of planets, stellar dust, and starships zooming all over the place, it showed a montage of man's evolution from seafaring to spacefaring civilization. It communicated a sense of pride and hope in mankind's future. How does this compare to Spore? Instead of analyzing whether the "Tribal phase" of the game stacks up against other, more complex RTS' (like Warhammer 40k, or Command and Conquer), I simply enjoy the experience of seeing the story of my personal creation unfold. It's great to look at the games evolutionary "timeline" of events, and see how you've progressed. While the first four phases of the game are overly simplistic, the all culminate beautifully in the final phase -- which managed to tie everything together with almost symphonic perfection. The space phase is easily one of the most satisfying experiences I've had in recent PC gaming. It is enormous, and I have to strongly disagree with those who call it tedious or boring. Along with the goals of colonization and exploration, the game seems to push you to discover a secret which lies in the center of the galaxy, but which is protected by an ancient and extremely hostile species. Along with this intriguing story, I found references to popular science fiction at every turn. The use of "monoliths" to convert a primitive species on an alien planet into a an advanced race. A "Genesis" like device to instantly terraform planets. And, of course, homage to the number 42. If you are especially dedicated, you may even go in search of strange, mythological world -- the third planet orbiting a distant star -- a place called Earth. Perhaps most interesting is the feeling you have of isolation and loneliness the further you choose to travel from your colonized space. It can be scary to venture out into the vastness of space, and no other space-based civilization game I've played has ever really captured this emotion quite to the same degree. So that's my long-winded review of the game. It isn't perfect, and I'd be inclined to give it 9, but I have to give it a 10 to offset the criticism of people who completely missed the bus in evaluating this game. I highly recommend it to people who are looking for a creative, engaging experience that clearly sets itself apart from any typical PC gaming genre. Expand
  32. DrQQ
    Sep 11, 2008
    Great Toy! That's what most people do not get about this piece of interactive entertainment - it's more of a toy to play with rather than a game in the traditional sense with a concrete narrative and set of rules and storylines to follow. Rather, it is to be enjoyed in direct relation to your own level of creativity and ability to intelligently manipulate the tools given to you.
  33. kr00lPlatinum
    Sep 10, 2008
    SPORE is an excellent game that brings a new elements to gaming that have never been see before! I highly recommend that you go out right now and purchase a copy! The game does depend on the creativity of the person playing. So, if you're not an imaginative person this isn't the game for you. Many hours will be spent on building custom vehicles and buildings. Sure the DRM sucks SPORE is an excellent game that brings a new elements to gaming that have never been see before! I highly recommend that you go out right now and purchase a copy! The game does depend on the creativity of the person playing. So, if you're not an imaginative person this isn't the game for you. Many hours will be spent on building custom vehicles and buildings. Sure the DRM sucks but I'm speaking about game play! Expand
  34. ChrisM.
    Sep 11, 2008
    This is an excellent game - breathtaking and original, that shows tremendous attention to detail. Will Wright's 1990s concept couldn't be more beautifully brought to the modern PCs than with this amazing version. To us old time fans of SimEarth and SimLife it's simply a dream come true.
  35. JamesH
    Sep 11, 2008
    People are rating the game based on its security, rather than the actual game. The game itself is good, maybe not as revolutionary as everybody hoped, and a bit too structured for my taste, but people aren't even close to giving it the chance it deserves. Not to mention the DRM is a non-issue anyway, I'm positive all you'd have to do is call EA to get your CD key renewed. People are rating the game based on its security, rather than the actual game. The game itself is good, maybe not as revolutionary as everybody hoped, and a bit too structured for my taste, but people aren't even close to giving it the chance it deserves. Not to mention the DRM is a non-issue anyway, I'm positive all you'd have to do is call EA to get your CD key renewed. This blasting of the game for this is totally uncalled for. Expand
  36. Jason
    Sep 12, 2008
    Spore was a very unique design for a game and it encompasses a lot of items that make it a very enjoyable game. However, once you reach the Space Age it becomes a bit tedious since every item you need for your spaceship is very costly and the "Spice trade" and the quests don't offer too much money. Expansion takes a lot of time and great effort in "terraforming" (which can be fun if Spore was a very unique design for a game and it encompasses a lot of items that make it a very enjoyable game. However, once you reach the Space Age it becomes a bit tedious since every item you need for your spaceship is very costly and the "Spice trade" and the quests don't offer too much money. Expansion takes a lot of time and great effort in "terraforming" (which can be fun if you like the challenge). The space combat system is a little bit clunky since things fly around horrendously fast and targeting is difficult when you have to match both altitude and distance (which can be a fun challenge for some, I suppose) and your spaceship doesn't take a whole lot of punishment when it invades a well-defended enemy system, but enemy spaceships do remarkably well against one of your well-defended colonies (sending in huge fleets that you cannot amass by yourself). Perhaps the Space Age can be patched to make it more enjoyable, but right now it's definitely the weak link. But Spore is still a blast to play through the Civilization Age. Expand
  37. D.Nettleton
    Sep 12, 2008
    Good game, I don't need to install it on more than two computers, I found it interesting and fun to play over in different ways. Not Half-Life or Doom, just a fun creature sim.
  38. Headlesslizard
    Sep 12, 2008
    Loved it! Amazing kept me occuppied for weeks. I failed my A levels but when spore came out i didnt care as i could be what i wanted within the video game which i couldn't be in reality.
  39. SimonB.
    Sep 12, 2008
    Great game for creative people.
  40. MarkY.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Ground-breaking in terms of user generated content appearing randomly in your game. Excellent creator modes, but slightly shallow gameplay for the other parts of the game.
  41. KilikiaT.
    Sep 14, 2008
    This is honestly the best game I have ever played in my entire life! Sure the graphics are cartoonish, but that means you won't have to worry about the tiniest details in creation and it won't kill your graphics card. Very original, and the cheats it has makes it fun but not insanely easy! The only reason I give this a 9 is because this is a great game with a poor tutorial. This is honestly the best game I have ever played in my entire life! Sure the graphics are cartoonish, but that means you won't have to worry about the tiniest details in creation and it won't kill your graphics card. Very original, and the cheats it has makes it fun but not insanely easy! The only reason I give this a 9 is because this is a great game with a poor tutorial. Especially in the space stage. I mean it took me several hours to fully grasp the full space stage, especially the terraforming(everyone should seriously use the money cheat for this- seriously $150000 for an atmosphere generator). Anything less than a nine and the perso who gave the rating gave up in less than an hour. Expand
  42. BenT.
    Sep 15, 2008
    this game is absolutely amazing in a very random way i played for 7 hours continuosly after purchasing it well worth buying. once you get to the later stages is very complex.
  43. BenjaminW.
    Sep 15, 2008
    the most original game in a long time. A compleatly diffrent experience than iv ever had with a game. i loved it 10++++
  44. KevinS.
    Sep 16, 2008
    Spore is a decent game. Thinking back, it doesn't seem like it should have taken five years to give us the product we have today, nonetheless, no other game offers the kind of scope Spore does. Honestly, some things in the Space Phase were more monetarily bound than I would have hoped, and the other phases wouldn't be worth their average cost of 10 USD each, but no one can argue Spore is a decent game. Thinking back, it doesn't seem like it should have taken five years to give us the product we have today, nonetheless, no other game offers the kind of scope Spore does. Honestly, some things in the Space Phase were more monetarily bound than I would have hoped, and the other phases wouldn't be worth their average cost of 10 USD each, but no one can argue with the overwhelming numbers of different creations that stock my galaxy. Spore isn't the best at everything it does, but as a whole, it does everything alot better than anyone else, if you know what I mean. Expand
  45. LawrenceP.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Whilst Spore doesn't please all hardcore gamers, especially in the RTS and First person eater genre's, it still gets the job done for being what a game should ultimately be.. FUN!
  46. DavidB.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Best game of the year. I love Will's design. Maxis has made the ultimate software toy. All kinds of tings to do and try in this game. Just what I love!
  47. AllyS.
    Sep 19, 2008
    I loved making my own creatures and playing the creature game. The Epics are awesome. Get in their way and they'll grab you and throw you.
  48. RafaelD.
    Sep 4, 2008
    a great experience , an inovation on the game world. but i dont know why , i feel that something is missing on this game.. but deffinetely a game you should buy and try , you will be hooked for the first few hours for sure.
  49. BrianS
    Sep 5, 2008
    It has lived up to all the hype and more in my opinion. Where else can you play SimCity, CIV4, and Master of Orion in one game?
  50. Jens
    Sep 7, 2008
    It has some flaws, yes, but it's also pretty much the only game to compare itself with. It's an all-new, innovative experience and I think it's worth trying it.
  51. IanI.
    Sep 7, 2008
    It's good. For a game developer like EA that is really saying something. The game is incredibly large with more thought to content and detail than any game in memory. This of course means that re-playability is exceedingly high in spore. Unlike many EA games there is no question that EA really put some time into this one (4 years in the making) however the game is still flawed in It's good. For a game developer like EA that is really saying something. The game is incredibly large with more thought to content and detail than any game in memory. This of course means that re-playability is exceedingly high in spore. Unlike many EA games there is no question that EA really put some time into this one (4 years in the making) however the game is still flawed in many ways, but I will get to that in a moment. First of all, the game has a sense of wonder (aswell as heaps of personal style) that follows it in every stage of your creatures development making it easy to forget your playing a game and resulting in an amazingly engrossing experiance. The major flaws in this game are ones very familiar to EA, Repetition, and lack of gameplay depth. There are 5 stages in the game, each of which can be boiled down to 1 activity, then rinse and repeat (kill three of this monster, kill five of this monster, destroy the purple tribe, destroy the green tribe) and so it can become tiresome with time. The major flaw however is that the biggist draw of the game (creating your creature) is something that doesn't cary over from stage to stage. Once you finish your creature in stage 2 and have him fully customized with max atack, or massive amounts of health which you earn by unlocking and using body parts you eventualy get to the next stage to find out you can never change your creature again, which is tolerable I suppose as you are probably pretty ok with your creature at this point...until you realize all of the body parts you put on your creature so that he could say...be more charming (an actual skill which allows you to make friends with other creatures) are now compleatly without purpose and so you realize that the characters looks and personality are set back to null and you are essentialy on an even playing field with every other creature you come across. I simply question the logic behind such focus on building a creature around its atributes in order to achieve a goal that then suddenly drops away, all I would propose would be that say...your combined level of green skills (the nice ones) should increase your tribes/civilizations ability in trade/treatys while the red skills increase your abillitys in war. Perhaps I'm ranting here but never fear, because I'm sure EA will have plenty of time to correct any mistakes its made in the dozens of expansions that are sure to come in the next couple of years (just as they did with The Sims). Expand
  52. DjD.
    Sep 8, 2008
    Some of the best interfaces in game history, awesome content creators, but the gameplay is way too simple and easy. This game could have been brilliant, and maybe a next version will be. For now I'll just have fun playing around with my creatures.
  53. GarthR.
    Sep 8, 2008
    An incredibly *fun* game that takes a refreshing step away from the MMOs and FPSs that saturate an otherwise unimaginative industry. Kudos to Will Wright and his very talented team of developers !!
  54. JonS
    Sep 8, 2008
    This game gets better the more you play it. Sure, each stage doesn't have as much depth as the full game releases that they draw inspiration from, but with everything together this game is fun.
  55. ShannonC.
    Sep 8, 2008
    This game is a breath of fresh air. Very innovative and creative. And a lot of fun to boot.
  56. TomH.
    Sep 8, 2008
    Rather than thinking of it as a game with a creative element, think of it as a creative (i.e., Lego-type) toy, which lets you take your creations into a fascinating and complex world, and interact with other peoples. Two things would make it better: i) if the creatures evolved without human intervention (offspring not identical to parents) and ii) if players could interact online in more Rather than thinking of it as a game with a creative element, think of it as a creative (i.e., Lego-type) toy, which lets you take your creations into a fascinating and complex world, and interact with other peoples. Two things would make it better: i) if the creatures evolved without human intervention (offspring not identical to parents) and ii) if players could interact online in more complex ways (e.g., as in EVE). Expand
  57. haukev.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Creativity is a strange thing. it hit´s us in the most unexpected moments.we can´t control it....or....? Spore is a game that provoces creativity.You play with it and you are forced to be creative.like lego. learning to create and having a sensation of success is an incredible experience -. rarely found in pc-games. this is an solid game, made out of an brilliant idea : make Creativity is a strange thing. it hit´s us in the most unexpected moments.we can´t control it....or....? Spore is a game that provoces creativity.You play with it and you are forced to be creative.like lego. learning to create and having a sensation of success is an incredible experience -. rarely found in pc-games. this is an solid game, made out of an brilliant idea : make the player part of the game. ( one remark for the developers : iI bought SPORE for 59.90 euros and was not even able to install the game. i just copied the content to my hard disk and run it like that without any instalation. but beside that "little" problems : best game ever. Expand
  58. TA
    Sep 9, 2008
    For the initial release this game is amazing. Just remember its a PC game so massive patches creating more complex game play are coming. For its original concept and process it deserves a 10.
  59. JoelL.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Great piece of software. Think along the lines of SimCity and it is great. Think along the lines of Civ or any other more traditional "game" and you'll be disappointed.
  60. LawrenceW.
    Sep 9, 2008
    If you like games about evolution, modding, empire building and Sid Meires Pirates! ... get this! I'm very pleased with it. The problem at first was there was so much hype, and some aspects of the game seemed kind of crude. I enjoyed all the stages in the end but especially the galaxy stage because it reminds me of one of my favourite games: Sid Meires Pirates! Above all it's If you like games about evolution, modding, empire building and Sid Meires Pirates! ... get this! I'm very pleased with it. The problem at first was there was so much hype, and some aspects of the game seemed kind of crude. I enjoyed all the stages in the end but especially the galaxy stage because it reminds me of one of my favourite games: Sid Meires Pirates! Above all it's the a game about modding and player created content, it's highly original and has lots of charm. Expand
  61. TylerM.
    Nov 13, 2008
    This is one of the greatest games I have ever played. It lacks an in-depth storyline of any kind, but that doesn't bother me. Combined with different archetypes, the many editors, and the user-created content, this game is endlessly replayable. I give it a ten as the most unique gaming experience ever.
  62. Dustinlumpkin
    Oct 13, 2008
    I really think this game is great, mainly because of the gameplay. it can be very challenging, which makes you strive for perfection. the fact that it gets very in depth, and that you can customize your character is great as well. the only one single problem is that its hard to adapt at first (on hard difficulty) due to the opponents having double the health as you.
  63. JoshS.
    Oct 7, 2008
    Very creative and original. Yes, it might turn into a strategy game at the end but that's one reason why i like it.
  64. FiseD
    Sep 11, 2008
    I had high expectations, and it met them. Downright fun game.
  65. DanL.
    Sep 10, 2008
    The beginning of the game is charming but shallow. Just get to Space. Then you'll see how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  66. BF
    Sep 11, 2008
    Okay, Securom DRM sucks, I can't argue with that, although at least it doesn't pollute your OS on Mac like it does on Windows. Yes, each of the types of gameplay in Spore is relatively shallow compared to games that specialize in a particular genre, although my only major issue with the space stage is that it's difficult to get back for homeworld emergency missions when Okay, Securom DRM sucks, I can't argue with that, although at least it doesn't pollute your OS on Mac like it does on Windows. Yes, each of the types of gameplay in Spore is relatively shallow compared to games that specialize in a particular genre, although my only major issue with the space stage is that it's difficult to get back for homeworld emergency missions when you're halfway to the galactic center. But! As a package deal, Spore appeals to the kind of gamer who enjoys Sim City and related games. It has a "cool" factor that is tough to quantify. It's about customization more than anything else. Maxis makes no bones about it -- all the stuff leading up to the space stage is basically a fun, brief, unlocking process. Space stage is the bulk of the game and if you don't enjoy space trading games, you will not enjoy Spore. Unless... you love creating, exploring, and sharing your creations with others. The online sharing of user generated content isn't really new, but it's a first for a game of this kind. You are "locked in" to whatever RTS and MMO games decide you should have, unless you want to shell out for expansion packs. Spore effectively lets you make the expansion packs. If you think you should be getting paid to do that... try getting a job as a game designer. :P If EA will enter the 21st century and get rid of the limited activations, which people will just crack anyway, maybe people will focus on the good qualities of the game itself instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Expand
  67. CherylK.
    Sep 11, 2008
    I think for those that got their hopes up that Spore would be anything like the initial preview way back when will be in for a sorry disappointment. Spore has turned out to be far simplistic than most expected. I say it suffers in that it's trying to engage two different kinds of player, the casual and the more "hardcore" variety. Unfortunately Spore itself can't quite make up I think for those that got their hopes up that Spore would be anything like the initial preview way back when will be in for a sorry disappointment. Spore has turned out to be far simplistic than most expected. I say it suffers in that it's trying to engage two different kinds of player, the casual and the more "hardcore" variety. Unfortunately Spore itself can't quite make up its own mind on how to play. It is neither Casual nor Hardcore but rather an in between that doesn't quite fulfill the criteria that these two types desire. I feel Spore in on itself has all the feelings of a prototype and with a bit more evolution it can become a shining jewel in any gamers collection. I will say wait for a sequel because it'll more than likely blow your mind but get this version still because for all it's short comings it's still a unique and fascinating game which everyone should play through if only once for the experience. Expand
  68. DustinB.
    Sep 11, 2008
    Spore is a great game it will most likely have me playing it for quite a long. Plus the adding of bonus future updates will give this game a nice life span. Now every good game has some faults, for instance the limited installs is quite a pain because for and instant at your own home if something goes wrong with you computer or you change the hardware that counts as an install. Although Spore is a great game it will most likely have me playing it for quite a long. Plus the adding of bonus future updates will give this game a nice life span. Now every good game has some faults, for instance the limited installs is quite a pain because for and instant at your own home if something goes wrong with you computer or you change the hardware that counts as an install. Although you can request more installs it is still a pain for most people. Even thought Spore has it's problems i still give it a 9 because its doing something that, although we will see a lot of this holiday season Spore is original. People will most likely say that it is just another sim game but it is more then that. When playing the game you get attached to your creation as you progress from a cell to a space worthy being. Expand
  69. KenW.
    Sep 11, 2008
    Hooray for DRM whining! The game is fantastic. The "TERRIBLE DRM" has done nothing to myself or my friends. Love the game. Could review it longer, but those that have played it either know they like or they don't.
  70. nates.
    Sep 10, 2008
    SPORE IS AWSOME the game play is great and it also teaches much about lots of different apects of life
  71. KennethF.
    Sep 12, 2008
    I thoroughly enjoyed this new product from Will Wright and his team. While once dubbed "Sim Everything", I would more accuratly discribe it as "Sim Space Exploration", as the 'real' game doesn't start until then. Casual players should not pass this game over, while the hardcore may be disappointed with the overall shallow depth of each stage of the game. 9/10, because while I thoroughly enjoyed this new product from Will Wright and his team. While once dubbed "Sim Everything", I would more accuratly discribe it as "Sim Space Exploration", as the 'real' game doesn't start until then. Casual players should not pass this game over, while the hardcore may be disappointed with the overall shallow depth of each stage of the game. 9/10, because while it may never become my primary game to play in my free time, but when Expand
  72. Arthur
    Sep 12, 2008
    Stop fussing over DRM, its pathetic you are rating a game over an anti pirating feature. The game is great itself, its not the best ever but it gets a 9/10 from me.
  73. CamilaD.
    Sep 12, 2008
    This game has been the funnest and most fufilling game I have played in my life. It combined so many things together, it makes it's own category among all the games. It is the game we've all dreamed of--You can make your own creature and take over the galaxy. I will probably play the game over and over again because it's SUCH a good game.
  74. NykaraB.
    Sep 13, 2008
    So far I have really enjoyed the spore game play. My favorite parts of the game is the creature stage and space. I have never once seen a simulator with as huge an area of space with as many planets to colonize as spore has. I love it I can see myself playing there for many more hours to come.
  75. AnonymousMC
    Sep 13, 2008
    this is a great game and is very fun. The thing that bugs me the most is things like: the nagging by the game, in the creature stage there is like 4 attacks, and that once you beat it you are usually to lazy to start again bcasue its pretty much the same every time.
  76. EvangelineG
    Sep 14, 2008
    I am surprised to see all the negative reviews! While certainly not perfect, this is a very ambitious, unique game. It does really rely on the creativity of the user...and maybe that's the problem. In an open ended game where your own choices construct your experience, you can end up with any number of flavours of games. I am having a lot of fun in mine! If you are a creative person, I am surprised to see all the negative reviews! While certainly not perfect, this is a very ambitious, unique game. It does really rely on the creativity of the user...and maybe that's the problem. In an open ended game where your own choices construct your experience, you can end up with any number of flavours of games. I am having a lot of fun in mine! If you are a creative person, don't be put off by all the bad reviews, you will probably really like Spore. Expand
  77. TinaD.
    Sep 15, 2008
    This game is very interesting, personally, when I saw the making of this game on Discovery Channel, I instantly wanted to just buy it. I recommend this game to young boys and girls who are into science.
  78. AdamD.
    Sep 15, 2008
    great game. more of a casual play but a lot of fun none-the-less. a quick fix for the DRM 3 install issues... just back up your game data dummies.
  79. miked.
    Sep 15, 2008
    such a fun game. just wish EA would get their heads out of their asses and put their games on steam and ditch that crappy ea download manager.
  80. DennisC.
    Sep 16, 2008
    It is a fun game and up till the end with the nagging of save US!!! WAaaaHhh!!!!! Gets old when you are 1 Person and they call you every 5 seconds. Wheres my battle fleet of ships? Other than that the game is great and I hope a patch could fix these little things that spoil the game.
  81. AndréL.
    Sep 16, 2008
    The game did what they promised, the people who are complaining and putting 0 and 1 are those who expect the impossible, the game IS good and have so many functions, what a shame that has so many bad ass players to say that is bad.
  82. AnubisG
    Sep 18, 2008
    If you have no imagination / are a little nubcake kid / are a casual gamer idiot / are stupid - This game will suck to you, I'm sorry, but you lack the intelligence to play it. Anyone who rates this game less than 8 is a freaking idiot, or has no creativity. This game is the most innovative game I've played in a WHILE. In a game market dominated by garbage games released to If you have no imagination / are a little nubcake kid / are a casual gamer idiot / are stupid - This game will suck to you, I'm sorry, but you lack the intelligence to play it. Anyone who rates this game less than 8 is a freaking idiot, or has no creativity. This game is the most innovative game I've played in a WHILE. In a game market dominated by garbage games released to please casual gamers, this game was a welcome change with its ROBUST customization of EVERYTHING, very detailed and realistic environments, and all around fun-factor involved in a game that doesn't hold your hand and wash your b_lls for you as you play. Expand
  83. SofiaS.
    Sep 19, 2008
    The Space level is where this game really hits it for me. It really opens up and you can fly from planet to planet. Seeing stuff I made earlier in the game on these planets is really cool.
  84. JohnS.
    Sep 19, 2008
    A great game that requires you to set your own goals and pursue them how you choose. Think of it like playing with a box of Legos.
  85. CharlesA.
    Sep 19, 2008
    I continue to be amazed at what has been accomplished with this game. The scope is staggering, the creation tools are deep and easy for anyone to use, and the lure of having your creations spread throughout the internet is strong.
  86. AndrewW
    Sep 21, 2008
    I give this game an 8 out of 10. Jumping into the game through the cell stage was a fun way of giving you a very basic idea of what you're gonna be doing for the rest of the game. Creature is a decent explore game. Tribal is by far the worst part of the game, horribly designed, and that's what gives this game an 8 for me. Civilization is a lot more redeeming when you can designI give this game an 8 out of 10. Jumping into the game through the cell stage was a fun way of giving you a very basic idea of what you're gonna be doing for the rest of the game. Creature is a decent explore game. Tribal is by far the worst part of the game, horribly designed, and that's what gives this game an 8 for me. Civilization is a lot more redeeming when you can design your own buildings and vehicles. Space stage is the most fun for me, huge and fast and full of surprises. Expand
  87. PlayerReview
    Sep 5, 2008
    Great game, bad publisher. SecuROM, a form of DRM, comes with this product. As a result the program can only be installed 3 times before you have to get on the phone with the EA folks to refresh your copy. This practice should be illegal, or atleast boycotted by the gaming industry. It's a shame that so many brilliant developers are making deals with the devil (EA).
  88. DanM.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Brilliant game, absolutely immersing, but some stages can be rather tedious at parts.
  89. JoelyC.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Pretty awesome game, definately worth the running around town trying to find a store that wasn't sold out. The game in some places needs a lil more complexity, maybe an expansion pack in the future that will give this game a 10/10, instead of just a 9.
  90. BernardM.
    Sep 8, 2008
    An incredible technical achievement. Casual enough that the game doesn't get in the way of the toy. My favorite moment was when a mutant ninja turtle I'd created last month in the creature creator showed up as a 60 foot giant and was then felled by a passing spacecraft.
  91. AndrewH
    Sep 8, 2008
    From a tiny cell to ruling the galaxy. Just epic. At one point in Creature phase I looked up at the moon and while I was thinking how cool it look I realized I was going to be able to go there. So rad.
  92. RyanD.
    Sep 8, 2008
    I am only on the second stage, creature, but this game is already great. Making your creatures total freaks of nature is the overall goal of the game. You either kill or make friends with other creatures which earns you DNA points you can spend on parts for your creations. I am trying hard not to make any phallic creatures!!
  93. CoryK.
    Sep 8, 2008
    THis game gives me a bit of everything. I like casual experiences as much as hardcore RTS experience. This gives me everything in a really creative package. The game is not without some flaws (ie. feeling like you need to grind during the tribal period), but I am thoroughly impressed with the technology that drives it. This game also makes me think about the way I play games in general, THis game gives me a bit of everything. I like casual experiences as much as hardcore RTS experience. This gives me everything in a really creative package. The game is not without some flaws (ie. feeling like you need to grind during the tribal period), but I am thoroughly impressed with the technology that drives it. This game also makes me think about the way I play games in general, and rewards me for being good and bad, and in equally different ways. Expand
  94. Patrick
    Refreshing, innovative, creative!
  95. KatieO
    Sep 9, 2008
    I have to admit, I haven't quite gotten to the space age level yet, but overall Spore is a good time. It doesn't quite live up to my expectations--designing the creatures and building is definitely awesome, and fully up to my expectations, but the game play is not. Designing is entertaining, and actually involves critical thinking. But some of the actual gaming--the tribal stage I have to admit, I haven't quite gotten to the space age level yet, but overall Spore is a good time. It doesn't quite live up to my expectations--designing the creatures and building is definitely awesome, and fully up to my expectations, but the game play is not. Designing is entertaining, and actually involves critical thinking. But some of the actual gaming--the tribal stage especially--feel more Reader Rabbit than Civilization. Expand
  96. DaGeek
    Oct 11, 2008
    Please, if you've never played Spore before don't bother to rate it low just for fun. The critics' votes are more important than all the n00b players.
  97. AlexA.
    Nov 12, 2008
    I don't see why there are so many negative reviews, in my opinion, it is one of the best games I have ever played. It has many differant stages of evolution, each which can keep you entertained for hours. After you play through them once, after a while you get the urge to play it again, and surprisingly it is completely different the next time through. The creators are fun as well as I don't see why there are so many negative reviews, in my opinion, it is one of the best games I have ever played. It has many differant stages of evolution, each which can keep you entertained for hours. After you play through them once, after a while you get the urge to play it again, and surprisingly it is completely different the next time through. The creators are fun as well as the gameplay, a great game as far as i'm concerned. Expand
  98. RevanC.
    Oct 18, 2008
    I think that a lot of people had a great many misconceptions as to what Spore was intended to be. It was clear from the beginning that this wasn't going to be a limitless sandbox, It's not not realistic to expect something like that. If you weren't so far caught up in the hype to not smell the java when someone placed it in front of you, then you realized, hey, this is I think that a lot of people had a great many misconceptions as to what Spore was intended to be. It was clear from the beginning that this wasn't going to be a limitless sandbox, It's not not realistic to expect something like that. If you weren't so far caught up in the hype to not smell the java when someone placed it in front of you, then you realized, hey, this is pretty good! I was reading a review of Spore from PC Gamer magazine (after I had already bought and won the game) and the reviewer cleverly defined the game as a "toy", something that you shouldn't expect to play for hours on end, but that can provide a much better outlet for killing time than heading off to addictinggames.com. It's fun and is designed to really bring the player into the core of the game, design and creativity. My biggest complaint has to be that you don't have too much freedom in determining how your creatures attitude changes, either they will become hippies or war mongers, with little in the way of between and no other distinguishable trait other than that. So it's got some flaws, nothing to big, but never fear; knowing maxis, an expansion is near! Expand
  99. PrimusM
    Sep 11, 2008
    I was a little confused at first about why I liked this game so much because I normally like something that requires a lot of strategy and skill. Spore isn't about that. You miss the point if you try to play to "win". Spore is about an excuse to fulfill that creative need. You get to create things, and then you get to use them. What you create matters. It's very fulfilling and I was a little confused at first about why I liked this game so much because I normally like something that requires a lot of strategy and skill. Spore isn't about that. You miss the point if you try to play to "win". Spore is about an excuse to fulfill that creative need. You get to create things, and then you get to use them. What you create matters. It's very fulfilling and addicting. It's very accessible to casual gamers such as my wife (we're fighting over the computer). This game reminds me of the spirit games used to have 20 years ago. They give you a bunch of tools and some casual challenges and let you make your fun. Like the original Sim City, the goal of the game is to make your own creation how you want to and deal with challenges as they come up. It's not perfect, but it is great. Expand
  100. MikeR
    Sep 11, 2008
    Read the Facts... DRM is not as evil as some people are saying. You can install the game multiple times on the same computer without it counting towards the number of computers you can install it on, and if you do use up all your installs legitimately (computer crash, theft etc), EA can grant you more on a case by case basis. QUESTION How will Digital Rights Management (DRM) work with Read the Facts... DRM is not as evil as some people are saying. You can install the game multiple times on the same computer without it counting towards the number of computers you can install it on, and if you do use up all your installs legitimately (computer crash, theft etc), EA can grant you more on a case by case basis. QUESTION How will Digital Rights Management (DRM) work with Spore and Spore Creature Creator? Answer The DRM solution implemented for the Spore and Spore Creature Creator changes copy protection from being key-disc based, which requires authentication every time you play the game by requiring a disc in the drive, to a one-time online authentication. This system has the added benefit of allowing you to seamlessly play your game without requiring the game disc in the drive. KEY POINTS: This system allows you to authenticate your game on three computers with the purchase of one disc. EA Customer Service is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting Customer Support. Games are authorized to your machine when you first install and launch the game. We Expand

1. Play (Poland)
    How to design a game that spans from swimming in a drop of water to ruling the galaxy? Will Wright knows how: as simple as possible. Spore deserves success on "The Sims" scale. [Sept 2008]
  2. Spore's triumph is painfully ironic. By setting out to instill a sense of wonderment at creation and the majesty of the universe, it's shown us that it's actually a lot more interesting to sit here at our computers and explore the contents of each other's brains. [October 2008, p.64]
    Spore manages quite some feats – it's accessible for casual gamers, but at the same time so real and dynamic, able to offer hardcore gamers a demanding experience and, obviously, a more appealing one than in "The Sims".