8.7

1. Aug 2, 2012
    This is a good game, but not as good as it could have been. I haven't yet played the earlier two STALKER games, but this game was good enough to convince me to play both of those as well. The combination of FPS and RPG gameplay is done very well. I'm not of fan of standard FPS games, to me they are usually too repetitive and shallow to keep my interest for very long, but this combinationThis is a good game, but not as good as it could have been. I haven't yet played the earlier two STALKER games, but this game was good enough to convince me to play both of those as well. The combination of FPS and RPG gameplay is done very well. I'm not of fan of standard FPS games, to me they are usually too repetitive and shallow to keep my interest for very long, but this combination of gameplay styles and a well designed atmosphere kept my interest very well. However, the main storyline in this game I found to be lacking, though it had the potential to be something much greater. Some of the mini-stories in side missions were more interesting to me than the main story arc. I also felt there could have been more interesting storylines developed around the several factions that reside in the Zone. I also wish the RPG elements had been improved upon. Experience points and level ups would have given me more incentive to explore areas of the map I didn't need to go to for specific missions, but as it stands I would rather just avoid coming into contact with unnecessary enemies since all I'd do is loose ammo and gain nothing as a result. I also wish the characters had been more complex and interesting, I had no real vested interest in any of the characters (even my own character was kind of a boring personality). Despite these areas that could have used improvement, I found the game to be very fun. Not a game I'll play more than once, but a game that was very enjoyable one time through. Expand
  2. May 1, 2011
    A sandbox FPS is an ambitious undertaking, one that games like Far Cry 2, although graphically awsome, never quite managed. So here's a game that can tryuly be called free roaming. STALKER has all the elements of an RPG rolled into an FPS, inventory, trade, repairing items and so on. It also has another element very rarely found in games - atmosphere. Wierd mutant creatures hiss and growlA sandbox FPS is an ambitious undertaking, one that games like Far Cry 2, although graphically awsome, never quite managed. So here's a game that can tryuly be called free roaming. STALKER has all the elements of an RPG rolled into an FPS, inventory, trade, repairing items and so on. It also has another element very rarely found in games - atmosphere. Wierd mutant creatures hiss and growl before leaping at your face.
    So on paper it all sounds very good. Yet STALKER is let down by outdated code and outdated graphics. Both of which really should not be an issue whether a game is great or not. But having a jerky screen update in an FPS which requires you to be extremely accurate with your aiming is gaming suicide. Seeing 6 of the exact same character model standing around makes you feel you have entered a cloning facility. The textures look like they were made 10 years ago. I also find it odd that when the NPCs are away from you they speak in Russian yet when you interact with them they speak in English?? Either one or the other please. The missions are hardly ever clear and, indeed, part of the game seems to be figuring out what it is you are supposed to be doing. For many people, there just isn't that many hours in a day to spend wandering around aimlessly.
    Some good ideas are in STALKER but unfortunately the game is let down by the execution.
  3. Aug 27, 2012
    The best of the series, but it is still full of bugs and glitches that destroy gameplay. The dynamic lighting will kill your FPS down to about 5, so forget having that enabled. FPS will also drop when you wade through water or see your own blood spurt from your chest when you get shot during a gunfight. The graphics are okay, the ground is quite bland and repetitive. Key quest charactersThe best of the series, but it is still full of bugs and glitches that destroy gameplay. The dynamic lighting will kill your FPS down to about 5, so forget having that enabled. FPS will also drop when you wade through water or see your own blood spurt from your chest when you get shot during a gunfight. The graphics are okay, the ground is quite bland and repetitive. Key quest characters will often die before you have a chance to reach them or do anything about their untimely fate. The voice acting is very bad and the sound of the characters will sometimes get very slow during a cutscene so you will be unable to hear what is going on, once again the lack of subtitles is very sad. It's just overall a poorly optimized, very average game. Expand
  4. Mar 21, 2013
    I could handle the outdated graphics but the poor anti-aliasing and endless tearing that I witnessed made this game almost unbearable to play through. I never play RPG's but this is not what I expected my first Stalker experience to be, there is a very hard learning curve and it felt like there was too much RPG and too little action. I doubt I'll revisit this game, fighting mutants was aI could handle the outdated graphics but the poor anti-aliasing and endless tearing that I witnessed made this game almost unbearable to play through. I never play RPG's but this is not what I expected my first Stalker experience to be, there is a very hard learning curve and it felt like there was too much RPG and too little action. I doubt I'll revisit this game, fighting mutants was a chore for me and I didn't understand the emissions since there wasn't much to do while you waited them out although I wish there were. What I did like about Stalker: CoP was the post apocalyptic atmosphere and various weapon customization options, I felt that part was realistic and I found it neat but the graphical errors and tough game-play made me bring this down to a 5. I don't regret playing it though because I did enjoy the atmosphere and gun-play. To be fair, I'm not sure if the issues were coming from my graphics card or the game, I used an EVGA GTX 460 SE. Expand
  5. Jul 31, 2012
    The game is interesting... Pretty good. But I really don't like it it is another mediocre game. The graphics are. The music is okay. It's very fun. But It's not creative. And there is NO Replay value.
  6. Dec 23, 2011
    Really don't know what to think of this game. The world is massive and vast and the layout is interesting. Graphics are alright, they get the job done. The thing that bothers me with this game is that it doesn't seem polished, shooting mechanics are stupid as bullets act as arrows dropping once they reach a point distance making long range combat near impossible. The game feels too darkReally don't know what to think of this game. The world is massive and vast and the layout is interesting. Graphics are alright, they get the job done. The thing that bothers me with this game is that it doesn't seem polished, shooting mechanics are stupid as bullets act as arrows dropping once they reach a point distance making long range combat near impossible. The game feels too dark and stingy, which yes fits the atmosphere but just gets depressing to look at after a while. Player models are recycled endlessly, I've ran into the same two Stalkers at least ten times. You're given a main quest but there's so many extra quests that I feel kind of overwhelmed, I'm worried I'll miss something if I progress without doing these. As opposed to Bethesda games that usually pull this off well, the open world and it's many side quests are a bit intimidating to anyone who doesn't enjoy such a long, long game. The game demands a lot of time from the player, so if you're not prepared to use up hours of your time to scour the zone then this game is not for you.

I got this game on sale, and I'm reasonably happy with it, the atmosphere is fantastic and the joys of using your maintained and updated fire arms that you upgraded yourself is also another slight joy in this game. However the amount of **** you can do is so vast it's almost intimidating, the story is not interesting or driving in anyway as it's hard to root for your character when he's got as much personality as a tin of paint. Other characters are the same, so it's also difficult to try and symphasize with people who ask for your help. At the beginning of the game a bandit tells me he needs this artifact as his friend is dying, I without a second thought denied his offer and killed him and his little buddies. The game is not story driven in any way shape or form, it's driven simply by the players curiousity: What sort of artifacts can I find and sell, what sort of loot can I buy with this money? How should I upgrade my guns? This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it'd be nice if I felt some want to continue playing this game to the end.

Keep in mind I'm scratching the very surface of this game with 5 hours played in total but I'd love to know if it improves significantly. In short, STALKER Call of Pripyat is a gloomy looking post apocalyptic master piece but falls short in terms of story and characters but makes up for it in accurate representations of real guns and it's hours of gameplay. You will definitely get your moneys worth with this game but it's not for the faint of heart, as well as not being without it's faults. (Get's a 7 so far, but some personal citation is needed)
  7. Nov 23, 2012
    Stalker Call of Pripyat do have some problems. The combat feels a bit clunky, especially against other humans. The quest-log is less than perfect and you sometimes find yourself in situations where you dont know what you are supposed to do to advance. The game is not really beginner friendly, it feels a bit stiff animation wise and the visuals are not the best. Overall the game feels aStalker Call of Pripyat do have some problems. The combat feels a bit clunky, especially against other humans. The quest-log is less than perfect and you sometimes find yourself in situations where you dont know what you are supposed to do to advance. The game is not really beginner friendly, it feels a bit stiff animation wise and the visuals are not the best. Overall the game feels a little bit like it is unfinished. Less so than its predecessor but the feeling is still there. The game does make up for most of its short coming though by being extremely atmospheric. This game is at its best when you are exploring an anomaly or sneaking through a mutant lair. And when the game is at its best few games can beat it. Sadly there is also all the running from point A to point B, all the time spent figuring out how stuff works by using google, all the time spent managing your inventory. A game like this need to have some ups and down but the ups could be a little more frequent and the downs could be a little less frequent. I don't want to sound to negative since i had great time playing this game. And if you are looking for a little bit different shooter with atmosphere so thick that you could slice it with a butter knife then Stalker Call of Pripyat may be the shooter for you. Expand
  8. Jul 22, 2017
    Great atmosphere and story.

Side-missions were fun, and it was cool to receive a permanent bonus to interactions with NPCs after completing different groups' missions. Fast travel and repairs are reasonably priced, which is a great improvement. The difficulty settings were improved, easy is now easy. The weight limit is still stifling, but fortunately you can now recover
    Great atmosphere and story.

Fast travel and repairs are reasonably priced, which is a great improvement.

The difficulty settings were improved, easy is now easy.

The weight limit is still stifling, but fortunately you can now recover stamina while walking, which you couldn't do in the previous 2 games. Certain ammo such as shotgun ammo is too heavy.

One problem in all 3 STALKER games: running over railroad tracks and other small obstacles is unrealistic. Your character treats them like mini hurdles. If a person runs over something as small as railroad tracks, they don't have to slow down and jump over them, they simply place their feet to avoid the tracks.

The weight limit is realistic (and annoying) but the stepping on railroad tracks is unrealistic (and annoying). This inconsistency lowers the quality of the game.

Bought for $3.33, played 15 hours, not recommended for many small flaws.
  9. Nov 15, 2013
    Call of Pripyat is technically the best of the Stalker games, but it suffers from some of the same flaws as the others did: you still have to pretty much empty your clip into the face of your enemies to kill them, making any and all combat highly unrealistic, no matter how cool the guns look. Unlike in SoC you can fix your broken weapons thankfully and even customize them, but where areCall of Pripyat is technically the best of the Stalker games, but it suffers from some of the same flaws as the others did: you still have to pretty much empty your clip into the face of your enemies to kill them, making any and all combat highly unrealistic, no matter how cool the guns look. Unlike in SoC you can fix your broken weapons thankfully and even customize them, but where are the large underground locations we saw in Shadow of Chernobyl? Where is the atmosphere of SoC?

The game is ok, but nothing special.
  10. Sep 21, 2014
    Note that this review is for CoP with the latest Complete Mod v1.0.2 and the 3GB fix.

- Fantastic and tense atmosphere - Pretty bad AI: path finding of monsters is horrible, all enemies behave very predictable and sometimes don't attack you even though they stare at you - Mediocre story: story doesn't develop very well during the course of the game and the ending is somehow

- Fantastic and tense atmosphere
    - Mediocre story: story doesn't develop very well during the course of the game and the ending is somehow disappointing. I was very confused about the game ending all of the sudden and I guess the first thing that came to my mind was "so that's it???" Plus you won't even get a render scene at the end, just some pictures ...
    - Mediocre gameplay: some mechanics are just useless. Why do you have to eat at all, why even add such a feature which serves no purpose and if you do add it then why don't you have to drink? There's some sort of fast travelling implemented but it's most of the time faster to just walk/run to your destination instead of finding someone to take you there. You can't sell damaged weapons and repairing them costs more than the weapons are worth. I could list a lot more but long story short - the gameplay is sometimes clunky.

Overall a good game, very close to a mediocre rating (less than 7) though. The atmosphere and scenery is what pushes the rating to 7 / 10 for me.
  11. sft
    Jun 13, 2016
    More mutant mayhem

More mutant mayhem

The story in CoP takes up where SoC left off (although you play as a different character) so it seems fitting that I played the games in that order, missing out Clear Sky (for now). As with SoC, this is quite a tough game (no hand-holding here), although it didn’t seem quite as tough as the original. It’s also a good deal shorter, with the main storyline taking about 15 hours to complete (there are, of course, a fair few side quests, but I didn’t complete all of them). The graphics are an improvement over the original, especially if you use some of the mods available. It’s also less buggy. The voice acting is okay, if a little variable, as are the character animations. This is, in many ways, a straightforward continuation of what has gone before, and the impressive STALKER atmosphere is maintained along with the challenging gameplay. Despite the improvements, however, there is less diversity in the environments compared to those found in Soc, and the world is less expansive than it is in SoC. And the story, although more coherent, is somewhat lighter. But this is still an immersive and enjoyable game to play.
  12. Sep 9, 2014
    Found game play to be very interesting, made you feel like a solo stalker with only your own agenda. Missions were cool, seems like some of the missions disappear in the game and you can't solve them. Pripyat was a big disappointment, some of the missions, that seemed like very important plot points, you were not able to pick back up. They seem like they ran out of story after you getFound game play to be very interesting, made you feel like a solo stalker with only your own agenda. Missions were cool, seems like some of the missions disappear in the game and you can't solve them. Pripyat was a big disappointment, some of the missions, that seemed like very important plot points, you were not able to pick back up. They seem like they ran out of story after you get to pripyat, like 3 missions with the colonel's men and you're forced to "Get to Da' Choppa'". and there's no going back.. kinda lame... overall It was a good game, I've played through it twice now, and I still feel pripyat was waaay rushed and alittle Underwhelming, Which effects this games' overall playability. Graphics are nice, nothing to write home about. cloud effects and sky effects almost Make this game. Beautiful. Sounds are alittle muted, gunshots sound like they were recorded in an room with all of the walls insulated. Character dialogue sometimes switches from English to Russian, without warning. Not all dialogue is translated if you choose Russian language with subtitles'. Nice single player RPG you never really get lost in it, this was the second STALKER game I've played, I hated SOC(sorry), and I found it to be way more satisfying than the first one. Expand
  13. Jan 31, 2015
    This game feels cheap. No only old, but also with low production values. I usually won't mind this, but the main problem is that it wasn't able to get me hooked, even after 5 hours into it. And I do appreciate a solitude atmosphere in a game.
    The thing is, I am not really tempted to start it up and continue. And while I am sure, that if I do, I'll be moderately enjoyed, I will look elsewhere for a better gaming experience.
  14. Mar 25, 2015
    I do like the STALKER series but TBH even with all the mods that add replay value it hasn't aged well.

Performance isn't that great but a modern PC should run it fine. Parallax and lighting settings seem to work only when they feel like it. IF you can get it to run maxed out it looks rather pretty. Combat is unnecessarily hard: NPCs have laser like accuracy but your gun will always

Combat is unnecessarily hard: NPCs have laser like accuracy but your gun will always spread all over the place no matter how long you wait for it to aim. Melee attackers can phase through walls if you're hidden behind one but technically in range. Higher difficulty settings are clearly untested (if at all).
    Standing on a tiny rock keeps you save from all melee attacks.

Animations and scripts feel very mechanical and break the immersion more than just once.

While the overall setting and story in STALKER is pretty enjoyable you have to play stupid in this one if you have played the prequels. The 'plot twists' feel like "everybody in the zone knows that, why did I have to do all this crap?" - Only because the devs don't allow you to ask the right questions.

Exploration finally rewards you (stashes are NOT empty until you get their coordinates from NPCs) but the 3 big maps only have so many few points of interests. Most of these you'll visit by going through the quest line leaving you with nothing else to explore. Indoor and underground areas are VERY rare even compared to the prequels.

STALKER had all the right ideas and COP was a step in the right direction but it came little to late and the lack of polish shines through everywhere. I'd rather recommend SOC or CS (with or without their respective Complete-mod) and only touching this one if you're really hungry for more.

1. GSC’s third attempt at creating a post-apocalyptic world reinforced my belief that PR is the only thing this company does best.
  2. Great atmosphere, but the game looks outdated and has some flaws.
  3. Call of Pripyat may not look as stunning as CoD:MW2 or Crysis, but it's still a very atmospheric, seizing and refreshingly different shooter... just like its predecessors that is. So if you consider yourself a fan of the series: Got get Call of Pripyat! It's definitely the best part of the saga.