S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl PC

• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Mar 20, 2007
8.4

1. Sep 27, 2014
    One of the most atmospheric shooter games I had a chance to play. It is quite realistic in terms of shooter, meaning you will get easily if under-equipped, basic guns are quite inaccurate, you bleed a lot, get poisoned, radiated and so on. Introduction of anomalies and artifacts system is amazing, loved just running around, collecting everything. The story might be little chaotic, plus theOne of the most atmospheric shooter games I had a chance to play. It is quite realistic in terms of shooter, meaning you will get easily if under-equipped, basic guns are quite inaccurate, you bleed a lot, get poisoned, radiated and so on. Introduction of anomalies and artifacts system is amazing, loved just running around, collecting everything. The story might be little chaotic, plus the different endings need more than one playing to fully enjoy the game, but it isnt game for ordinary "lets go shoot something" player. The further parts of the game are quite scary, you find yourself overwhelmed by mutated creatures and determined enemies, that wouldnt hesitate to chop your head off and make a campfire decoration out of it.
    The only letdowns are the necessity to run miles and miles at the beginning of the game completing the side missions and collecting goods for selling. The weapons are usually adaptable, but there isnt large range of attachments, only basic ones like SUSAT scope or silencer.
    Graphics are quite low, but you can always mod the game (for example with Complete 2009 mode, changing textures and so on). There are some strange physics sometimes, people get burned in their own campfires, boxes explode when you smash them and so on, but its not so drastic.
    Sometimes the game could get quite frustrating, like running to a massive radiation spot and get killed even with high protection, or get killed by anomaly you didnt see in the dark. But hey, rule #1, dont run when around anomalies, right ) All and all, the game is definitely one of my favs, even through some minor flaws. Plus there is the guy saying "get out of here, stalker" which is probably the best game quote ever, what more do you want.
  2. HenryJ.
    Apr 10, 2007
    Has some short comings, but an interesting idea that holds up. A game with real immersion. I bought the game after reading T Man's comments figuring that if a child didn't like it I might find it really interesting so thanks T Man.
  3. MarkP
    Jun 8, 2009
    I think this is a great game. It's not perfect, but it's good. One person has mentioned a poor tutorial and this I agree with. The in-game help when starting should be more thorough. But the world where the player lives in is incredible. The movments of the mutant animals and just the feeling of being in a wastleand is so realistic. Currently, I have not finished the game, but I think this is a great game. It's not perfect, but it's good. One person has mentioned a poor tutorial and this I agree with. The in-game help when starting should be more thorough. But the world where the player lives in is incredible. The movments of the mutant animals and just the feeling of being in a wastleand is so realistic. Currently, I have not finished the game, but night has fallen and I'm too scared to continue so I've headed back to camp. I'm not sure what to do now. My only ral gripe is a better tutorial especially when it comes to using the PDA and getting through the missions. Expand
  4. Dec 3, 2011
    I reviewed this game before and gave it a 5 which was unfair ( I was stuck in an underground and out of medkits ). So now I have beaten this game twice now and on my way to a third, I picked up the game again months later and had an easier time and now it is one of my fav games. It has a great and scary atmosphere and pants wetting undergrounds, good guns but they could use more. So thisI reviewed this game before and gave it a 5 which was unfair ( I was stuck in an underground and out of medkits ). So now I have beaten this game twice now and on my way to a third, I picked up the game again months later and had an easier time and now it is one of my fav games. It has a great and scary atmosphere and pants wetting undergrounds, good guns but they could use more. So this game was my least favorite to one of my favorite. Expand
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    It has been a while since I last played this game, but when I did I loved it. The atmosphere was great, the setting cool, the weapons nice and the story good enough to keep me interested throughout the game.

There are a few things I didn't like though. First of all I pretty much have to empty a clip into the face of an enemy to kill him. That ruins a lot for me. Secondly the re-spawning of enemies some places made the game close to unplayable. Thirdly I hated the fact that my weapons became useless very fast, because I wore them out, so to say, and there was no way for me to repair them. So I ended up carrying around the coolest guns, using all sorts of crap I came along, because I didn't want my coolest gun to break...

The game started out good, but towards the end it was just a fast FPS, and I don't like that. I kept playing to find out how it ended (and I found three different endings), but it really was not very fun at the end.
  6. Dec 3, 2013
    This is probably one of the most amazing and extreme first person shooters i have ever played, yes it has its bugs and coding issues but once you patch the game and get everything up to speed, the game had me playing for hours and hours. so many different things and possibilitys you can explore and proceed in many different ways. Just has me playing and playing just because of the severalThis is probably one of the most amazing and extreme first person shooters i have ever played, yes it has its bugs and coding issues but once you patch the game and get everything up to speed, the game had me playing for hours and hours. so many different things and possibilitys you can explore and proceed in many different ways. Just has me playing and playing just because of the several ways you can play through it, and many different and interesting endings and gameplay route within it. Its sort of like Deus ex and BioShock so if your a fan of the Dues ex or BioShock i highly recommend this game. With the types of game play thats implemented in this game you'll just be blown away by the story and and environmental surrounding of this hostile world of Chernobyl! Expand
  7. NicholasS.
    Oct 9, 2007
    This is one of those games where the draw is much stronger than the flaws. Yes, there is a lot wrong with the game, but there is so much right I am mezmorized. I've played many games that were polished more, but very few that I've enjoyed more.
  8. AdamWainwright
    Mar 22, 2008
    I have been wainting for this game to come out for years and was quite happy with the end result. I had to upgrade my rig just to run it smoothly. The story lines not bad and love the multiple ending. I have played it about 4 times and gonna start it again soon.
  9. DavidSimpson
    Aug 2, 2008
    I loved the fact that I was actually walking around in a world that was really like the aftermath of Chernobyl. I thought there were a couple of little bugs in the game but overall I really enjoyed playing it. It did take me a while to get used to the style of play as I mostly played FPS prior to this but great game!! Cant wait for the next.
  10. KevinD.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Great ending. Tough game, but not insurmountable with a good mix of action and maze. Gameplay is not as non-linear as some reviews make it out to be -- like most games you pretty much have to follow the missions to get anywhere. Great dark, cynical story line and plenty of weapons. No vehicles though.
  11. ThibautB.
    Dec 20, 2007
    Best game I've played this year. Very good atmosphere, maybe especially for mature gamers who are looking for a game wortwhile of other action-rpg such as Fallout, Deux ex or Vampire:Bloodlines.
  12. JohnH.
    Dec 27, 2007
    The game is quest based rather than linear. You pick up quests, loot, trade and upgrade you gear much like a RPG. You move freely around the lands and you can explore on your own loading only at level borders. Some quests will take you to underground bunkers or houses and here the game looks more like a classic FPS. The AI's are fairly good, they take cover behind corners and aim The game is quest based rather than linear. You pick up quests, loot, trade and upgrade you gear much like a RPG. You move freely around the lands and you can explore on your own loading only at level borders. Some quests will take you to underground bunkers or houses and here the game looks more like a classic FPS. The AI's are fairly good, they take cover behind corners and aim well. The atmosphere of the game is good and scary. I would picture it as a Mad Max scenario in a radio active Ukraine with unknown mutant horrors lurking. However, it's not a realistic shooter as some others suggested. For realism I would play OFP, ArmA or the more linear Red Orchestra. What bothers me with the shooting is that it almost takes a full clip of 30 rounds to kill one enemy using a fair AK. The one handed guns are useless for anything but critters, you need to get very close and put a few rounds in between the eyes for any effect. I would rather use a real life slingshoot or a stick and expect better results than that. Perhaps weapons and ammo will get better later on. The grenades are good and at this point it's my only efficient weapon to down anything quick. The game engine have some major flaws. I experience crashes, even blue screens while playing. Initially I couldn't exit to desktop without a blue screen and system reboot. I removed all sound hardware acceleration, EAX and now it's better but I still have issues with random blue screens crashes in nVidia DLL's. If you want to play this game you better search the community FAQ's on how to minimize crashes and don't forget to quicksave often. The game is mercyless, death or a system crash comes fast. Despite the major flaws I really enjoy S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Expand
  13. AlexGenius
    Dec 20, 2007
    ?? - ??????, ????????? ? ?? ???? ???, ??? ?? ????????? ?????????? ????????? ???????! ??????????? ???????? ??????? ? ????? ????? ?????????? ?????????-??????, ??????? (??????? ?????? ?? ????, ?? ???????? ????? ??????? ?? (!) - ?????????, ????? ??????,) ???????, ??? ???? ??? - ??????? ????, ????????, ? ???? ???????, ???? ????????? ????? ?? ? ??????, ? ??? ??? ?? ??????? ????????? ?????????? - ??????, ????????? ? ?? ???? ???, ??? ?? ????????? ?????????? ????????? ???????! ??????????? ???????? ??????? ? ????? ????? ?????????? ?????????-??????, ??????? (??????? ?????? ?? ????, ?? ???????? ????? ??????? ?? (!) - ?????????, ????? ??????,) ???????, ??? ???? ??? - ??????? ????, ????????, ? ???? ???????, ???? ????????? ????? ?? ? ??????, ? ??? ??? ?? ??????? ????????? ???????? ??????? ?? gameplay! ??? ? ???????, ?????(deer) ?? - mister T and nothing more...
    ? ????, ??? ?? ??????? ????????, ??????? ?????? ??????? ?? ?????? ?? ??? ??????? ???????, ??????? ??? ?????? ????? ???????(, ?? ????????????) - 8,5
  14. MarketG>
    Mar 18, 2007
    Shows plenty of positive aspects of the developers. Worth the wait for just like aging a vintage red a Penfold maybe? Atmospherically I give this title a 10 over F.E.A.R & without the claustrophobic & bland environments of both F.E.A.R & Doom 3 too. This game win hands down...
  15. ColonelH.
    Mar 19, 2007
    At the end of the day it's a solid and enjoyable game, but after all this time I was expecting a little more. Just a bit more polish. Still, it will probably go down as one of the top PC games of 2007 (even though it should really have been 2004 or 2005). In time it will probably come to be regarded as a classic.
  16. DelvinS.
    Mar 27, 2007
    I've only played a few hours of this. It is moderately hard, so be conservative in just going for the first missions right away. Honestly, this game is the most unnerving game in its realism, you actually almost FEEL you are breathing this sickly radioactive air walking around this devastated and infected area dizzied by blows from enemies. I have to say this is the first game that I I've only played a few hours of this. It is moderately hard, so be conservative in just going for the first missions right away. Honestly, this game is the most unnerving game in its realism, you actually almost FEEL you are breathing this sickly radioactive air walking around this devastated and infected area dizzied by blows from enemies. I have to say this is the first game that I am actually affected by this intensely. It'll probably take JERICHO, but this is one scary experience. There is so much sensory play and creepiness that it takes a special person to appreciate it. Like I said, only a few hours and I'm scared to play it. I love it. The storyline's a bit vague, but hey.. that's what WE have imaginations for. I don't have to know yet. I believe there's probably one way that gives you the best ending. Either way, the realism is beautifully implemented in the organic engine this game uses. You'll notice on repeat missions (which you'll have a few), that the weather's changed or monsters, etc are there. Not as much obvious scripting, it's really mindblowing. I don't mind the press ESC save function. I think the graphics are great even for today. The smoothness helps everything seem living and breathing. All is fairly detailed, it's just the landscape is not 'pretty. I keep getting paranoid to leave camp after dark for what lies out there. I haven't even touched multiplayer yet. More fun. This game rules, BUY IT. Expand
  17. RoyF.
    Mar 29, 2007
    A very, very fun and unfortunately, a somewhat flawed game. This game is a must have for anyone who has ever liked Fallout (2), System Shock (2), or ever liked zombie games. In a nutshell it is a mix of Operation Flashpoint, Half Life 2, and Oblivion (which i've never played). This game requires a bit more patience (especially with the random crashes...) but it rewards your patience A very, very fun and unfortunately, a somewhat flawed game. This game is a must have for anyone who has ever liked Fallout (2), System Shock (2), or ever liked zombie games. In a nutshell it is a mix of Operation Flashpoint, Half Life 2, and Oblivion (which i've never played). This game requires a bit more patience (especially with the random crashes...) but it rewards your patience with a very enjoyable gaming experience. thumbs up! Expand
  18. BillM.
    Apr 1, 2007
    The best thing to happen to the FPS genre since System Shock2, Deus Ex or Operation Flashpoint. This game is a milestone in FPS history. It has been said in most reviews that the story is badly told; as a system shock fan, I can tell you it's just told "differently" - through fragments of knowledge and awkward conversations. It fits the setting well. I've also read that the The best thing to happen to the FPS genre since System Shock2, Deus Ex or Operation Flashpoint. This game is a milestone in FPS history. It has been said in most reviews that the story is badly told; as a system shock fan, I can tell you it's just told "differently" - through fragments of knowledge and awkward conversations. It fits the setting well. I've also read that the graphics are dated, but from what I've seen so far, the lighting and texturing detail are top notch. There's nothing spookier than seeing the room illuminated a lighting storm through the cracks in the wooden ceiling and brick walls. Combine that with normal and parallax mapped surfaces, amazing weather and foliage systems and great particle effects, and I can't see why people think the graphics are 'dated'. The only disappointment is that the world is not seamless like Oblivion or Morrowind, there are artificial 'loading zones' joining a series of levels surrounded by invisible walls. Expand
  19. JoeT.
    Nov 19, 2007
    I can understand why a lot of people criticize S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. Its learning curve is extremely steep and it has scripting issues that show up as bugs in 1 of 4 side quests. In this day of console game popularity I can understand many players
  20. Apr 8, 2012
    I initially gave up on this game after several crashes and a growing frustration with the game mechanics. But in spite of the different bugs and steep learning curve I kept coming back for another run because of the absolutely breathtaking atmosphere of the game. Once you start to accept the fact that you can't just rush in and start spreading bullets around the game becomes somethingI initially gave up on this game after several crashes and a growing frustration with the game mechanics. But in spite of the different bugs and steep learning curve I kept coming back for another run because of the absolutely breathtaking atmosphere of the game. Once you start to accept the fact that you can't just rush in and start spreading bullets around the game becomes something entirely in it's own class.

The decay-and-rust-alike graphics along with the sound design makes the weapons look really great and with a good variety of types and modifications. The reliability and accuracy of the early weapons are affected by this and you find yourself forced to plan your approach and devise a strategy accordingly. Even the enemy AI shows remarkable intelligence as they try to surround you and flank your position. You need to think fast and be adaptable in order to overcome the challenges in this game but once you learn how to survive the reward is fantastic. Unfortunately this also makes the game a bit too easy near the end but you're still looking at many hours of solid entertainment. I admit this game may not please everyone and at this point it is probably very outdated, but if you're a post-nuclear apocalyptic FPS fan you owe yourself to try out this game
  21. Jun 7, 2011
    Great game. It is priceless to be alone in the night, sat on a broken rooftop under a big thunderstorm, without any ammunitions and hearing a lot of mutant wolfs breathing while waiting for their lunch...
  22. Jan 27, 2011
    One of the best and most atmospheric horror/action FPS's in recent time. It's similar to but better than Fallout 3, at least after you've installed STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl Complete 2012 mod + realistic weapons. Those mods fixes a large number of bugs and updates the graphics to be better than the (horrible) sequel Stalker: Clear Sky. Very highly recommended game.
  23. Mar 25, 2011
    Lately, the industry has been flooded with CoD-esque linear shooters. Very few games now-a-days have the pure, innovative gameplay, that S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl provides. STALKER is a lot of things, it's atmospheric, it's frightening, it's unique, and it's quite hard. However, STALKER is not Call of Duty, nor is it Fallout, and especially not Oblivion, it isn't even an entirelyLately, the industry has been flooded with CoD-esque linear shooters. Very few games now-a-days have the pure, innovative gameplay, that S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl provides. STALKER is a lot of things, it's atmospheric, it's frightening, it's unique, and it's quite hard. However, STALKER is not Call of Duty, nor is it Fallout, and especially not Oblivion, it isn't even an entirely perfect game. To the players that man up, and fight there way through the zone, this will be a game that is played over, and over again.

With 7 different endings, and a amazingly long single player mode, this game will deliver surprises both good and bad for years to come, especially with the huge modding community.

STALKER tries to be annoyingly realistic. You will die of blood loss, if you don't bandage up wounds. You will not take a shotgun wound standing. You will not walk away from radiation, without some medication.

Graphically, STALKER has some of the best dynamic lighting engines ever, and it's a game that holds off the bloom, so it has a distinctive "dirty" look. Perfect for the harsh wastelands surrounding Chernobyl.

Most bugs have been patched, and I highly recommend that everyone plays this spectacular game.
  24. Apr 22, 2011
    As somebody who likes post-apocalyptic settings, this is one of my favorite games of the last few years. It can be difficult to get into, but once the initial barriers are overcome it offers an incredible atmosphere and a fascinating game world. Especially with the Complete mod it's an experience that everybody who is even remotely interested should check out. It can be had for a very lowAs somebody who likes post-apocalyptic settings, this is one of my favorite games of the last few years. It can be difficult to get into, but once the initial barriers are overcome it offers an incredible atmosphere and a fascinating game world. Especially with the Complete mod it's an experience that everybody who is even remotely interested should check out. It can be had for a very low price these days and offers many hours of playtime. Expand
  25. Jun 10, 2011
    I just started walking around, and low and behold, 5 dogs pounced on me out of nowhere., and then flashes of radiation randomly killed me. What? Ummm. . . AWESOME! This game doesn't hold my hand, and actually turns the environment against you. I'd probably have understood it more if I wasn't such a bloody moron and didn't run ahead, or ignore the manuel. Damn my complete stupidity and lackI just started walking around, and low and behold, 5 dogs pounced on me out of nowhere., and then flashes of radiation randomly killed me. What? Ummm. . . AWESOME! This game doesn't hold my hand, and actually turns the environment against you. I'd probably have understood it more if I wasn't such a bloody moron and didn't run ahead, or ignore the manuel. Damn my complete stupidity and lack of taste. Damn it. Expand
  26. Jul 16, 2011
    This game is utterly stunning. A breakthrough as far as gaming is concerned. Being a true hunter, I can honestly declare S.T.A.L.K.E.R as the most realistic account of actually lugging a weapon in an open field. In fact, it is easy to forget yourself and imagine a proper hunting trip through scrub and forest with industrial detritus thrown in as a bonus. Although the foliage isThis game is utterly stunning. A breakthrough as far as gaming is concerned. Being a true hunter, I can honestly declare S.T.A.L.K.E.R as the most realistic account of actually lugging a weapon in an open field. In fact, it is easy to forget yourself and imagine a proper hunting trip through scrub and forest with industrial detritus thrown in as a bonus. Although the foliage is consistent throughout the game, the environments are extensive and the scenery varies - from contaminated creeks and swamps, to hills and elevated terrain. There is a literal plethora of abandoned buildings and hidden areas to explore and almost all of them contain some kind of reward. The loose goals and utter in-game freedom encourage exploration and provide great incentive for the player to realise all of the inherent possibilities. Adding further to this, eery music, strange biological sound effects and unusually gloomy areas all culminate to form a unique sense of mystery. Overall, this game genuinely appeals to the hunter gatherer instinct, which judging by some of these reviews, seems to be on the decline. When it comes to personal items, you start off with the bare minimum (pretty much junk) and have to work your way up to achieve a high tactical prowess. Although this is a common theme in many FPS's, it is starkly emphasised in this particular title. Items known as artifacts can be found scattered around the environs and offer a vast improvement in terms of Strelok's abilities. Some artifacts provide resistance to radiation and chemical burns, whilst others increase stamina and healing. Since they occur in dangerous areas, artifacts commend great value on the market and the rarer ones can be sold or swapped amongst stalkers for virtually anything that is on offer. Ammunition is relatively scarce, and must be conserved in order to ensure success. Players will find themselves searching dead bodies and unloading dropped weapons in order to accumulate their ammo. Similarly, health supplies like medkits can be difficult to find, but if a player is careful, they do eventually accumulate. Bandages, anti-rad medicines and foodstuffs are very common throughout the game, but can be quickly depleted if a player fails to be conservative. The weapons in this game are nothing short of brilliant. High end weapons are customisable and behave in a very realistic manner - there is a whole lot of recoil from auto weapons and this makes aiming virtually impossible when shooting in full automatic. During large bursts, a weapon will sway both traversely and longitudinally making it very difficult to shoot distant targets. This can be counteracted by switching the weapon mode to single/semi or by firing in sporadic bursts. Even with a brand new rifle, accuracy is never 100% and when overused, a weapon's condition will deteriorate further, hence decreasing its effectiveness. Jamming is common in poorly guns, and they must be reloaded to permit firing again. This is especially fun during battles, as it gets the adrenaline pumping. To further increase immersion, some of the most rugged and tactically appropriate weapons are provided, like the AK-47, AKS-74, VSS Vintorez, FN F-2000, MP-5 and LR-300. This choice of weapons is extremely consistent with the survival theme. By offering RIS rails, tactical weapons can be customised with grenade launchers, silencers and improved optics. There are also one off weapons hidden throughout the zone, which offer vast improvements over the base weapons and often commend a high resale price.

To suggest that gameplay can be difficult is a dramatic understatement. Although Strelok will do everything he is commanded to do with a sturdy, surefooted confidence (unlike the wooden and clumsy JC Denton in Deus EX), the enemies are very competent at engaging and will take cover before unleashing a torrent of bullets. A few well placed shots are enough to kill Strelok, and a serious injury will lead to profuse bleeding. If left untreated, profuse bleeding can kill Strelok very quickly, so it must be stopped by applying bandages or by using a medkit. Whilst spawning does occur in this game, it is by no means obvious. So long as you remain in the area which you have cleared, it generally stays clear. Factions of bandits will usually reclaim the area once you leave for another region, but engaging them on the way back is strictly optional. Overall, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R franchise offers a great gaming experience which has not been replicated since. I have found that the closest title of similar offerings is FEAR, but it is much more streamlined. The zone is such a diverse world that replay value is a virtual guarantee. If you still have hunter-gatherer instincts and enjoy a challenging and complex survival based shooter with realistic physics and a very effective horror element you won't find a better game.
  27. Jun 5, 2012
    certainly not a game for everyone. its pacing is meant to be slow, and the game wont take your hand for a pleasant walk in the park. the game throws you into the fray with limited resources to survive which can become very scarce. in harder difficulties the game is only for the most dedicated and hardcore gamers although its nowhere near the realism of ARMA II. the interface is easy tocertainly not a game for everyone. its pacing is meant to be slow, and the game wont take your hand for a pleasant walk in the park. the game throws you into the fray with limited resources to survive which can become very scarce. in harder difficulties the game is only for the most dedicated and hardcore gamers although its nowhere near the realism of ARMA II. the interface is easy to understand and to use. the AI might sort of being on the silly side as you might notice some enemies are doing the same moves again and again while they fight you, still though they are nothing sort of easy and you can die pretty easily in stalker. the graphics are fair. they are particularly good underground as you can see the shadow effects from light sources, although there are several flaws on the graphics that make it seem older than it is, like the surface ground and flora seems old with the textures it uses, still though the graphics make up for the incredible atmosphere, so does the sound with very convincing wild life sound and underground effects that will make your blood chill. the plot is somewhat average and the voice acting is fair although listening someone talk russian in one instance and perfect english the other feels kind of awkward. so this game IS NOT FOR PUSHOVERS. it can be tricky and difficult and it will certainly test your patience both with difficulty and pace. Expand
  28. Oct 14, 2011
    One of my favourite games of all time. Yes it's buggy, and horrendously difficult in some places as you die by tripping over a rock... and the enemies need nothing short of a tactical nuke to kill. But lovably so. Some great hair raising moments, and a good sense of "pphhew" at the end. Great game
  29. Jun 30, 2016
    Amazing game for its time, I recommend to read it!
    Perhaps it will seem outdated at the chart at the moment, but the game atmosphere is awesome!
    -----
  30. Dec 23, 2011
    The graphic for this game is not pretty good, but the way to play it is kind of unique: mix up RPG and shooting game at the same time. I keep looking for some new weapon and ammo, just like i want some better equipment in WOW. But the saving for this game (or the restart point) is kind of bad because the auto save wont save unless you are entering new place, which make me need to restartThe graphic for this game is not pretty good, but the way to play it is kind of unique: mix up RPG and shooting game at the same time. I keep looking for some new weapon and ammo, just like i want some better equipment in WOW. But the saving for this game (or the restart point) is kind of bad because the auto save wont save unless you are entering new place, which make me need to restart from a very far away place just because i forgot to quick save and the game wont restart as close as possible from where i dead. I guess that is what makes the game hard. Expand
  31. Feb 2, 2012
    I have play this game four times. It was so tempting game to play for hours. Varies large area to hunt, fight, and meet NPC to experience the horror scenes.
  32. Mar 6, 2012
    As much as I want to give SoC a 10/10, I have to be real about it. The game is definitely a solid 8/10 without mods, WITH mods it is easily a 9/10.

There could honestly be more mutants in ALL STALKER games, but there is definitely a charm about the mutants that are already in the game. There's nothing like being out at night when it's PITCH black and you hear a bloodsucker breathing and you don't know WHAT the f*** is going on

The games atmosphere is a 10/10, no doubt about it

The STALKER series is easily my favorite game series, and if you enjoy a challenging FPS with RPG elements, brilliant atmosphere, with plenty of scariness thrown in the mix. You will adore STALKER
  33. Apr 3, 2012
    Gamers from Ukraine should be proud of this one. There is a bit of a learning curve at first, but this game has the perfect blend of realistic combat and survival horror. This is one of the first open-ended FPS games that I know of, so you can explore an open world and take on multiple tasks, preceding award-winning games like Fallout 3. It also features real-world locations, including theGamers from Ukraine should be proud of this one. There is a bit of a learning curve at first, but this game has the perfect blend of realistic combat and survival horror. This is one of the first open-ended FPS games that I know of, so you can explore an open world and take on multiple tasks, preceding award-winning games like Fallout 3. It also features real-world locations, including the city of Pripyat, which was abandoned during the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, and the Chernobyl NPP (Nuclear Power Plant) itself. One can expect Counter-Strike style combat when fighting enemy factions, though there are mutants and even zombies to keep things interesting as well. You'll quickly learn that dashing into a crowd guns blazing is a death wish, even with the best armor. You can buy and sell weapons and equipment. There are Artifacts that you can collect that will enhance your abilities, such as running speed and how bulletproof you are. I won't give away any more spoilers - first time players will have to find out for themselves. Another cult classic in the gaming industry. If you haven't already played it, play it! Expand
  34. Apr 6, 2012
    In this game, the life going independent from player. And that's right shows the life situation, which was after the Soviet Union. I wasn't there often, but I can compare the game and the real life situation and architectural style. At least I see so.
  35. May 21, 2012
    STALKER's expansive, detailed and living world is enhanced by the eerie atmosphere, bizarre story and downright creepy monsters. The gameplay makes STALKER shine; with challenging, unforgiving, yet supremely satisfying gunplay, the RPG elements littered about include weapon scavenging, quests and random encounters. Ammunition is scarce, so rationing is of utmost importance, and utilizingSTALKER's expansive, detailed and living world is enhanced by the eerie atmosphere, bizarre story and downright creepy monsters. The gameplay makes STALKER shine; with challenging, unforgiving, yet supremely satisfying gunplay, the RPG elements littered about include weapon scavenging, quests and random encounters. Ammunition is scarce, so rationing is of utmost importance, and utilizing the day/night cycle to maximize damage with sneak attacks is a common strategy.
    While quests are enjoyable, they ultimately felt pointless since vendors rarely have ammunition you need, so the earned income was largely worthless. Engine issues would cause corrupted saved games on occasion, and some heavy tweaks were needed to get acceptable graphical settings. Lastly, the weight-based inventory system was beyond restrictive in an un-modded game.
    STALKER is an amazing game recommended to FPS fans who crave some non-linearity and some serious challenge in their game.
  36. Sep 10, 2015
    One of the best games ever created! It is so atmospheric and different then any other game. And it's probably the last game/series without hand holding nonsense.
  37. Aug 1, 2012
    First off i was impressed with this games atmosphere and realism. Technically the game is sound it has a solid frame rate and not many glitches. The physics are superb, bullets drop while in flight and npc's react realistically when killed by explosives. The sound is really a mixed bag, some weapons sound realistic while others sound like hitting an oil drum, suppressed weapons soundFirst off i was impressed with this games atmosphere and realism. Technically the game is sound it has a solid frame rate and not many glitches. The physics are superb, bullets drop while in flight and npc's react realistically when killed by explosives. The sound is really a mixed bag, some weapons sound realistic while others sound like hitting an oil drum, suppressed weapons sound especially good. The mutants are new ideas and they're actually pretty scary. This games atmosphere is second to none, I am genuinely scared about what lurks behind a door in an underground lab i'm in. The plot i found was easy to follow but not to simple. Voice acting is pretty mediocre and most npc's don't even speak but instead have written dialogue. Though you don't have skill points or anything like that artifacts and armored suits improve your resistance to bullets,chemical's etc. Overall I'd say this game is one of my favorites, I'd even go as far as saying this game is the unsung hero of open world FPS's. It is definitely worth your money. Expand
  38. Aug 15, 2012
    I love this, because I love singleplayer experience gameplay, that allows you to roam around with whatever equipment you want. There's a good mix of freedom, side missions, and storyline missions that you have to complete to progress. You can always go backwards, hunt for things, sell your treasures, buy weapons and ammo, until the endgame. The endgame itself is long, and took me totallyI love this, because I love singleplayer experience gameplay, that allows you to roam around with whatever equipment you want. There's a good mix of freedom, side missions, and storyline missions that you have to complete to progress. You can always go backwards, hunt for things, sell your treasures, buy weapons and ammo, until the endgame. The endgame itself is long, and took me totally by surprise at how epic it turned out to be. I was completely satisfied with it, seeing how such a modest game could unmask itself as being so brilliant. I wish I'd played it sooner, and had higher expectations with it, or I might never have tried it out. If you enjoy this and want a multiplayer version, I think DayZ mod is quite similar. Expand
  39. Jun 7, 2014
    Stalker SoC is what happens when you combine Operation Flashpoint and Metro 2033. It's hard to ask for anything more from this game because instead of making you want more, it makes you realize how backwards most of the gaming industry has gone (in 2014). It's a game that doesn't pander to casual types. Totally fierce experience with gunfights killing you in 2-3 hits, nights being crazyStalker SoC is what happens when you combine Operation Flashpoint and Metro 2033. It's hard to ask for anything more from this game because instead of making you want more, it makes you realize how backwards most of the gaming industry has gone (in 2014). It's a game that doesn't pander to casual types. Totally fierce experience with gunfights killing you in 2-3 hits, nights being crazy dark forcing you to rely on your weak flashlight and no, you don't get nightvision until MUCH later in the game. Monsters are ferocious, sneak on you and human enemies are dangerous and fun to fight. Hell, you can talk and trade with 97% of everybody you meet! The zone is a truly inhospitable place that forces you to think, explore, be careful and fight hard to survive. Play this game damnit! Expand
  40. Sep 11, 2012
    ''ATMOSPHERE'' There İs Nothing Much To Say.
  41. Sep 28, 2012
    S.t.a.l.k.e.r _soc is the fps I love most; it gave hours of fun mixed with fear, tension and adrenaline.There are bugs and some tweak to do before playing, but they are part of the experience hard to forget.Prepare to be hidden in the darkness of a basement with little ammunition, food and med-kits ... recommended!
  42. Jul 24, 2013
    The only game, even after years, that makes me come back for more and more. It's like a road trip to a place where one of the most catastrophic events took place. It's also like playing Counter-Strike in a huge world (With perfect precision as CS doesn't even have iron sights option). Even after finishing the game for 10 times, the next time I play there are times that I don't know what'sThe only game, even after years, that makes me come back for more and more. It's like a road trip to a place where one of the most catastrophic events took place. It's also like playing Counter-Strike in a huge world (With perfect precision as CS doesn't even have iron sights option). Even after finishing the game for 10 times, the next time I play there are times that I don't know what's around the corner. Expand
  43. Aug 1, 2013
    This is the best survival game out there and i wont here anyone else say otherwise. On higher difficulties, ammo, health, and other nessecities are hard to come by. You and your enemies die in one or two shots and when you're hit you'll bleed out and die unless you bandage yourself up. Weapons have realistic recoil (at least more realistic then some modern FPS's) and hitting enemies withThis is the best survival game out there and i wont here anyone else say otherwise. On higher difficulties, ammo, health, and other nessecities are hard to come by. You and your enemies die in one or two shots and when you're hit you'll bleed out and die unless you bandage yourself up. Weapons have realistic recoil (at least more realistic then some modern FPS's) and hitting enemies with older more worn guns can be a challenge. youll constantly be stashing supplies in hiding spots in the world and taking ammo and bandages from dead enemies. You actually feel like your trying to survive, and that's something a lot of games fail to do. The story isn't that exceptional but is interesting and being very interested in what happened at Chernobyl, this game's setting is amazing and original. I heard that this game was the Crysis of its day and it shows as the world is very detailed and graphics intensive for its time. The game does everything right and still holds up to this day. Expand
  44. Apr 16, 2013
    Great great great game! Absolutly loved it! It is different to others games (FPS). Don't start the game like you are gonna play a campaign of call of duty or you are gonna be upset to the most. Scary as hell at some place Lab x-16&x-17 made me change pants.

The game itself was very poorly optimised. Probably 1 of their 1st game. There is many guides to tweek the game and some patchs/mods that help the loading time, graphics, errors.

A most for everyone calling themselves a gamer.
  45. Oct 18, 2013
    Awakening in the Zone, you are one such S.T.A.L.K.E.R., fighting for survival in this man-made Hell, while trying to discover the truth behind Chernobyl's sinister past and ominous future. Patient players looking for a unique experience ultimately will be rewarded by this atmospheric and ambitious shooter.
  46. sft
    Apr 3, 2015
    Mutant mayhem

Mutant mayhem

The STALKER games have a reputation for being tough, and it’s well-deserved -- this is probably the most challenging single-player game I’ve played. Both the open world and the AI are very unforgiving. There are constant dangers not just from the wide variety of enemies but also from high levels of radiation and strange spatial anomalies. The Zone is a large place and during the course of the game you get to visit a diverse range of environments and encounter many weird malevolent forces. The combat is always demanding and requires a good deal of strategic thinking given that you have to deal with other health-depleting factors at the same time. The story, although it does suffer from the usual lack of focus as a result of non-linear gameplay and some uninspiring side quests, is still reasonably strong and engaging. Graphically it’s quite impressive, although I should point out that I installed the STALKER Complete 2009 mod from the get-go, which (as I understand it) improves on the vanilla game in this area. It’s true that there are some annoying bugs, but they didn’t dampen my enjoyment of the game too much. And even though the weapons and armour deteriorate (a feature I’m not overly fond of) the speed with which this occurs is more realistic than in many RPGs so it didn’t bug me too much. Overall the game scores very highly for its outstanding atmosphere, which is one of the most engrossing, and idiosyncratic, that I’ve encountered. Highly recommended.
  47. Dec 6, 2013
    Very impressive and immersive FPS! Have not good graphics, but gameplay is awesome! I have finish it 10 times and all times was like different game! Buy it!
  48. Jan 5, 2016
    What can i say about a game that's part of one of my favorite franchises of all time. Well i can say quite a lot actually. So on with the review then

Pros: -Now being a post apocalyptic game you'd expect this game to have great atmosphere. And it does. The landscapes,the sounds, everything just screams post apocalypse with an atmosphere that is can live up to Fallout 3. -I like that

Pros:
    -I like that the combat is pretty realistic. Don't think that this game is a run and shoot game. It takes one or two bullets to the head and you're gone buddy. What i'm trying to say is that this game is hard....like really hard. Even on the easy setting it can still kick your ass if you're not careful. But that just adds to the appeal for me.

Cons:
    This is one of the rare games that i have no cons with. I didn't find anything gamebreaking and there was nothing unholy wrong with the gameplay so yeah.....this game is awesome in my opinion. Go check it out and see for yourself.
  49. Aug 18, 2015
    game doesnt load slowly for me, no bugs, no glitches and no crashes but thats because i use a decent computer when gaming and dont use a 5 year old or older comp without trying to upgrade it at somepoint. so the game works for me, i liked it, liked the story. just wish the company had not shut down because i like the way these stalker games went. now its just a relic i get to keepgame doesnt load slowly for me, no bugs, no glitches and no crashes but thats because i use a decent computer when gaming and dont use a 5 year old or older comp without trying to upgrade it at somepoint. so the game works for me, i liked it, liked the story. just wish the company had not shut down because i like the way these stalker games went. now its just a relic i get to keep replaying. oh well, i liked the game. Expand
  50. Jun 10, 2014
    Pese a tener una gran cantidad de bug, problemas y ciertas caídas de calidad, S.T.A.L,K.E.R. es uno de mis juegos favoritos y uno de los pocos que me he pasado la saga entera y lo he rejugado. La historia, los guiños tanto a la película como al libro (picnic extraterrestre, que Metro es muy posterior al juego), el hecho de poder pasear por Chernobyl lo convierte es una experiencia muyPese a tener una gran cantidad de bug, problemas y ciertas caídas de calidad, S.T.A.L,K.E.R. es uno de mis juegos favoritos y uno de los pocos que me he pasado la saga entera y lo he rejugado. La historia, los guiños tanto a la película como al libro (picnic extraterrestre, que Metro es muy posterior al juego), el hecho de poder pasear por Chernobyl lo convierte es una experiencia muy especial. Además se trató de implementar programación por agentes para gestionar los animales del juego. Bajo mi punto de vista muy recomendable, pero tal vez soy muy fan. Expand
  51. Nov 7, 2015
    I have played a lot of fps (> 80) and this game is one of my favorite. The game is a fps with a small rpg element. The story takes place in the 'Zone' around Chernobyl where you have to do missions to get further in the story. The buildings look real and decayed and that is the most compelling aspect of the game. Once the atmosphere grabs you, it hardly let you lose. The undergroundI have played a lot of fps (> 80) and this game is one of my favorite. The game is a fps with a small rpg element. The story takes place in the 'Zone' around Chernobyl where you have to do missions to get further in the story. The buildings look real and decayed and that is the most compelling aspect of the game. Once the atmosphere grabs you, it hardly let you lose. The underground mission in Agroprom alone is worth while playing this game.

Having said, not all can share my enthusiasm: the game has a large fan base, but there are also lots of people who don't like it. In the beginning it took me hours before I got into it.

With Bioshock this is one of the best games of the past 10 year. There have been made 2 sequels which are also quite good.
  52. Feb 8, 2015
    Good atmosphere (night-day cycles, specially),huge realistic levels based on real life Chernobyl Alienation Zone, design, and gameplay. It has some graphic glitches like some trees or objects disappearing, the voice acting and history could be a bit better but it's still enjoyable.
  53. May 16, 2016
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl hands down has to be the best atmospheric game I've ever played. It's a FPS mixed in with a few RPG elements. It's like Fallout and battlefield got together and had a baby. (because of the gunplay and the "Post Apocalypse" setting)

The story, not gonna spoil anything. The story is comparable to "Bourne Identity" but it has it's own twists and makes it memorable. The story in short words is that you have to track down a guy named "Strelok" and you have to kill him, and because your character was involved in a truck crash... Your character has to get that memory back and understand what's going on. The story makes it prefect because you are in the same position like the character you are playing (refered to as "Marked One") You have no clue what's going on... Which makes this part of the game great.

The pacing of the game goes really well from the beginning to Pripyat and the pacing varies for each playstyle. You can play slow and take your time and enjoy the environment and explore or you can rush and breeze through the side missions and the main story. But until you reach Pripyat.. the pacing goes fast and I'm a slow player so I was like "Wtf this is really pacing up now" it kinda forces you to keep going but pacing was back to normal until I hit the Chernobyl NNP so that's the only problem I have with the game personally.

Overall.. yes the game is extremely buggy and I found myself frustrated that the game would crash when spending at a certain area too long. (Dark valley) but what I've learned that GSC wasn't a huge game company so I forgive them for this, and plus there are many mods (like that 2009 complete mod or whatever) which fixes the game. So people shouldn't really be complaining about the bugs because there are fixes for it. But I loved this game, the atmosphere as mentioned before is great. You feel very immersed into the game and I would recommend this to anyone who likes these types of games.
  54. Mar 29, 2016
    If you can look past the janky AI, text-based interface and various bugs (all of which are fixed by patches) in the vanilla game, then you are in for a real treat. An incredibly immersive FPS in a post-Chernobyl setting, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl has a gripping plot with twists as well as many different dangers to encounter and learn about, without any nannying. STALKER is a game whichIf you can look past the janky AI, text-based interface and various bugs (all of which are fixed by patches) in the vanilla game, then you are in for a real treat. An incredibly immersive FPS in a post-Chernobyl setting, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl has a gripping plot with twists as well as many different dangers to encounter and learn about, without any nannying. STALKER is a game which allows you to play however you wish, whether a heavily-armored juggernaut carrying a grenade launcher, or a sneaky assassin with a sniper rifle, but enemies include more than just humans. The STALKER Complete mod is strongly recommended even for the first play-through, covering bug-fixes, updating graphics and lighting, in order to deliver a more polished version of the vanilla game. 11/10 recommend this game if you enjoy story-based FPS, you will play this game again and again and again. Expand
  55. May 14, 2016
    Самый лучшая игра созданная когда-либо в СНГ. GSC отлично постарались над созданием игры. При разработке игра много раз сильно изменялась и постепенно переходила из 6-го поколение в 7-е. Для того времени игра преуспевал во всех игровых аспектах: графика, геймплей, мир, подача сюжета, атмосфера. Единственный небольшой минус - игры нету на консолях. Но это не повод снижать оценку игре.Самый лучшая игра созданная когда-либо в СНГ. GSC отлично постарались над созданием игры. При разработке игра много раз сильно изменялась и постепенно переходила из 6-го поколение в 7-е. Для того времени игра преуспевал во всех игровых аспектах: графика, геймплей, мир, подача сюжета, атмосфера. Единственный небольшой минус - игры нету на консолях. Но это не повод снижать оценку игре. ПК-геймерам действительно есть чем гордится! Expand
  56. Jun 23, 2016
    STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl is a very interesting and subjectively enjoyable game. It takes place in the areas around Chernobyl where the nuclear meltdown has effected the areas, and you are working in a community of scavengers and treasure hunters known as Stalkers, The area is partially shut down and controlled by the Army, A cult know as Monolith, a band of mercenaries who areSTALKER Shadow of Chernobyl is a very interesting and subjectively enjoyable game. It takes place in the areas around Chernobyl where the nuclear meltdown has effected the areas, and you are working in a community of scavengers and treasure hunters known as Stalkers, The area is partially shut down and controlled by the Army, A cult know as Monolith, a band of mercenaries who are attempting to cleanse and reclaim the area called Duty, and etc.

Now the game starts out a bit slow and the story itself is somewhat uninteresting, but the interaction, open world, and some of the mechanics such as anomalies and Artifacts system keeps it somewhat interesting when it comes down to looting, exploring and enjoying the game at your own pace and style.

But the combat has been implemented in a hitscanning system where rather than using physical recoil, it is calculated with percentages and weapon and position based modifiers. So get used to firing at an enemy from 10 meters and still "missing" since you are entirely at the mercy of a dice roll, rather than an actual factor of player skill. I guess this encourages players to upgrade and change weapons, since any firearm at the appropriate range will kill with a single shot to the head. But this artificial accuracy system can suck alot of the fun out of combat, specially earlier on with some of the lower tier weaponry.

On the other side of the spectrum, the AI enemy is quite impressive, as they will take position, group up, crouch and fire, take cover to some extent, and flank your blindsides, keeping you on your toes constantly. They will however also land every shot perfectly at higher difficulties, which cant get annoying because of the aforementioned aiming system which can make fighting the AI just essentially unfair, to the point where you are save scumming after you kill each enemy.

The map system has a very sectional layout where small areas are traversed by loading screens which arent too long but can sometimes break the flow of gameplay, but this is easily overlooked as even with a decent computer at medium settings the loading screens arent too ridiculous.

The artifact system paired up with the anomaly system is very interesting lore wise, but the anomalies can get pretty boring after throwing numerous bolts at small electrical phenomenons and vortexes, but it can be pretty entertaining to bait bandits and boars into them only to watch them helplessly get destroyed by the anomalies. The artifact system creates a stat tradeoff mechanic where you will use different ones in different situations to help give you that edge in either combat, exploring heavily irradiated and anomaly infested labs and buildings, or traveling long distances.

The inventory system is nothing new, but it is well executed, you are allotted about 50 kilograms of weight, as you carry more and more, your stamina draining upon sprinting will increase. This can be countered with energy drinks and endurance boosting artifacts. Once you go over 50 kilos the stamina drain even take effect while walking and going up to a maximum of 60 kilos will render you to be unable to move, keeping flow of gameplay where you go heavy carry a multitude of weapons and gear, or stay light by keeping low amounts of ammo and limiting your immediate arsenal.

One of the most impressive things about this game is the astounding level of detail on the world design, it is incredibly atmospheric, specially in old bunkers and labs where the creaking of emergency lights, the trickling of water echoing across the concrete corridors and the rustic clanks of the old pipes, just creates a desolate and haunting atmosphere that can create a very immersive and haunting experience for the player.

While STALKER is not a perfect game, and the combat has its fair share of flaws, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good open world game, capable of delivering a well created world with its very Sci Fi post apocalyptic theme to it. The difficulty allows for an enjoyable experience to casual and hardcore players. Although the game cannot be determined as good or bad, because it is somewhat well executed, so the experience and enjoyment is very subjective, and is up to you as a player to decide.
  57. Feb 22, 2017
    The reason I played this game was because of the overall score people gave it. I tried to like it but couldn't. The only good thing about it is the graphics and atmosphere, which I did actually like. Everything else is mediocre at best. The story and side missions are very boring, after completing a few side missions I stopped taking them completely. Plus, the bugs, all those bugs, it wasThe reason I played this game was because of the overall score people gave it. I tried to like it but couldn't. The only good thing about it is the graphics and atmosphere, which I did actually like. Everything else is mediocre at best. The story and side missions are very boring, after completing a few side missions I stopped taking them completely. Plus, the bugs, all those bugs, it was so frustrating at times I just wanted to rage quit and uninstall this game, but the completionist in me made me see it to the end. This is honestly the mostly bugged game I've every played. I don't regret playing it, just so I now know what it's about, but I would recommend spending your time on something else, it was not an enjoyable ride for me. Expand
  58. EricR.
    Sep 6, 2007
    This is probably one of the most amazing and extreme first person shooters i have ever played, yes it has its bugs and coding issues but once you patch the game and get everything up to speed, the game had me playing for hours and hours. so many different things and possibilitys you can explore and proceed in many different ways. Just has me playing and playing just because of the several This is probably one of the most amazing and extreme first person shooters i have ever played, yes it has its bugs and coding issues but once you patch the game and get everything up to speed, the game had me playing for hours and hours. so many different things and possibilitys you can explore and proceed in many different ways. Just has me playing and playing just because of the several ways you can play through it, and many different and interesting endings and gameplay route within it. Its sort of like Deus ex and BioShock , so if your a fan of the Dues ex or BioShock i highly recommend this game. With the types of game play thats implemented in this game you'll just be blown away by the story and and environmental surrounding of this hostile world of Chernobyl! Expand
  59. DanilS.
    May 9, 2008
    The best shooter ever.
  60. Nov 6, 2011
    Okay, so I just finished this game and here's what I have to say about it.

Okay, so I just finished this game and here's what I have to say about it.

I expected a game where you make your own choices throughout the entire game, a game which really messes with your head because of it's setting, (loads of potential for thrilling concepts involving Chernobyl right?)Both of these things were not really executed well. This is absolutely nothing like, say, Fallout 3. Because the choices are very limited.

When you play the game for the first half hour, you get the impression that you can make your own choices entirely, which is simply not true, keep in mind this is a First Person Shooter, Not a Roleplaying Game. The game gets extremely linear towards half of the game.

>The first thing that was really negative about it was those small bottle-neck loading-time routes that you have to go through, to get into a new area. Not only that, when you sometimes finished loading from one of these points, a fresh wave of respawned NPC's is there to immediately try to kill you, this is off-putting because you just can't prepare for anything, so not a lot of thought was put into that.

The game discourages you to do any backtracking to other locations, to trade and stuff, because you'll have to pass about 4 extremely long loading zones.

They could' ve been way more creative with the Chernobyl Power-Plant area itself. It's basically just one big shoot-out towards the end of the game, which really takes away the experience. The quests are not really note-worthy, and pretty straight forward, with the exception of some parts of the main quest.

There are some horror-elements in some parts of the game, but only few were actually really scary. Most of the time you're just shooting bad guys with your gun.

The only thing I found absolutely brilliant was the AI, and the lighting effects of day & night.
  61. Dec 12, 2011
    Some interesting gunplay mechanics, but otherwise a boring, repetitive waste of time. A good story might have saved S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but instead you go through mission after mission without the slightest idea of who you are or why you're doing what you're doing. Do yourself a favor and play Fallout 3 instead.
  62. Denys
    Mar 6, 2008
    I'm proud of this game! I'm proud to be Ukrainian as the creators of Stalker are! Remarkable game, worth the story to be continued....
  63. MehmetT
    Jun 2, 2008
    If the developers had taken the time to properly polish this game, I would have easily bestowed it a score of 9 or 10. But this game STILL has, even with the latest patch and after so much time after its release, an annoying number of bugs and glitches. A number of side missions appear to be glitched or broken. The game stutters, crashes and causes the computer to freeze randomly, EVENIf the developers had taken the time to properly polish this game, I would have easily bestowed it a score of 9 or 10. But this game STILL has, even with the latest patch and after so much time after its release, an annoying number of bugs and glitches. A number of side missions appear to be glitched or broken. The game stutters, crashes and causes the computer to freeze randomly, EVEN when you tone down the graphics settings to something your computer can easily handle. It also has excessively high system requirements. Weapon ballistics are mostly very realistic, though at times weird things seem to happen, like when you shoot your enemy at point blank range with a shotgun and somehow still miss. Your combat knife is a complete joke, most of the times it doesn't even seem to hit your enemy. Features that should have been included in the game are sorely missing, like there is no way to repair your weapons or armor, and your only option of travel is on foot, no vehicles, no optional fast travel (the game takes place in a pretty large map). The game features a large quantity of weirdly translated in-game dialogues; as if the translations to English were done by someone who didn't properly understand the English language. To me this is a serious flaw because it detracts from the mood of the game. And overall, the game feels like a number of exciting and innovative gaming features that have just been thrown together instead of having made sure everything works well together. This last flaw is important because Stalker isn't simply a FPS where you go about gunning down your foes, it's also about doing missions, scavenging, exploring, and surviving in an unforgiving landscape. In the end, Stalker promises to be an original and really exciting game; but it's simply dragged down by its bugs, glitches and unpolished gaming features. Expand
  64. MarkedOne
    Mar 3, 2007
    This game is very impressive and atmospheric. AI behaves in very intelligent way - think CoD2 where soldiers after battle sit around the fire, playing guitar, telling jokes and drinking vodka. You can talk to every stalker, ask him about rumors, try to trade or ask for a quest. Gameplay is about doing quests, roaming around the Chernobyl zone, avoiding deadly "anomalies" and radiactive This game is very impressive and atmospheric. AI behaves in very intelligent way - think CoD2 where soldiers after battle sit around the fire, playing guitar, telling jokes and drinking vodka. You can talk to every stalker, ask him about rumors, try to trade or ask for a quest. Gameplay is about doing quests, roaming around the Chernobyl zone, avoiding deadly "anomalies" and radiactive area and battling with bandits, military, mutants and aggressive wildlife. Zone represent area around Chernobyl with forests, plains, city of Pripyat, nuclear plant itself, small willages, roads and soviet Ukraine cars and trains wrecks. The game is mostly FPS but RPG elements are very strong. You have an inventory and doll for different types of gear. Every weapon have it's stats and durability. Every character have a name, inventory and an opinion about you. There is a player reputation system. If you help a dying stalker with a medikit he will become your friend. If you come close to neutral stalkers with weapon drawn they will warn you and if you don't listen, they will open fire and become hostile. You can use zone artifacts to improve your stats. Inventory is limited to weight you can carry. There are many quests in game - main quest line and side quests, many of them are time-limited. Models and textures are a bit outdated but light and shadows are very impressive. System requirements are somewhat high but it's not a big problem. I'd say they are close to F.E.A.R. requirements - slightly higher though. You can also use lower graphics settings on old video cards. After two days of gameplay I experienced a few minor AI and graphics glitches and only one CTD. Game is pretty stable and it lets you use Alt+Tab with no problems. Summary - if you want to imagine what is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. looks like... it's like F.E.A.R. meets Oblivion in living world of very realistic Chernobyl area. P.S. There IS eating and anti-radiation vodka drinkin in game. If character don't eat very long it will starve to death. Expand
  65. RandyP.
    May 13, 2007
    At first, I didn't like this game. I saw the flaws and bugs: Not pausing the game while you loot bodies... Being over burdened while under fire... save / loading bugs. But being one who hates wasting his money, I gave it a solid shot... and this game grew on me. It's not a conventional shooter by any means. It's an adventure shooter with light rpg elements... food, weapons, At first, I didn't like this game. I saw the flaws and bugs: Not pausing the game while you loot bodies... Being over burdened while under fire... save / loading bugs. But being one who hates wasting his money, I gave it a solid shot... and this game grew on me. It's not a conventional shooter by any means. It's an adventure shooter with light rpg elements... food, weapons, ammo, armor... etc. The A.I. is very strong... Enemies will fall back when out gunned, regroup, flank, and attack. Dead bodies are persistent until a predator/scavenger devours the bodies. Enemies dont spawn in front of you, they actually walk across the environment and repopulate previously cleared areas. There are weather changes, day / night cycles, and the behavior of all adapt and take advantage of it. There are many types of environmental hazards and strange/creepy creatures. The environments themselves are massive... and extremely detailed. The more you explore and play this game, you begin to realize that the environments themselves are alive! You also realize just how much work went into it... and it shows. I still don't think it was finished when it went out the door, but it's still solid. And for a first title on a new game engine... it's amazing. This game blatantly dares to be different and has successfully enhanced the FPS genre and raised the bar dramatically. One of the most impressive FPS titles to come out in a long time. Expand
  66. LoganM
    Apr 9, 2009
    GREAT!!!!! The only problem with me are a few bugs in the quests but this is becuse they wanted it to be almsot fully in english. If some of the characters speeches we still in russian there would be no bugs. The one phrase they left in russian is to me important. when the guy says but down ur gun its in Russian!!!! good thing I already knew waht it mean.
  67. MichaelR.
    Mar 21, 2007
    I am absolutely astounded by how good this game is. If it is not the stunning graphics and effects, the realistic physics, the brilliant AI, the gameplay and the vast size of the world, it's the superb atmosphere. The game runs exceptionally well on my pc, though it occasionally crashes to the desktop (hopefully, this will be addressed in a patch). I have waited almost four years for I am absolutely astounded by how good this game is. If it is not the stunning graphics and effects, the realistic physics, the brilliant AI, the gameplay and the vast size of the world, it's the superb atmosphere. The game runs exceptionally well on my pc, though it occasionally crashes to the desktop (hopefully, this will be addressed in a patch). I have waited almost four years for this game, and I am extremely happy that it has fulfilled all my wishes. Expand
  68. Mar 7, 2013
    Just.... I really wanted to like this game! It has so many good things... and so many bad things. There's enough bugs to make the game an exorcise in worrying about whether or not you should re load the last save because your current objective got somehow glitched. Its a typical Russian story of "ghosts and radiation" like they all seem to be: Nuclear disaster with a paranormal element.Just.... I really wanted to like this game! It has so many good things... and so many bad things. There's enough bugs to make the game an exorcise in worrying about whether or not you should re load the last save because your current objective got somehow glitched. Its a typical Russian story of "ghosts and radiation" like they all seem to be: Nuclear disaster with a paranormal element. The living breathing world is cool... and I really like how fragile you are as a character and how many things you have to be mindful of from food to sleep. It makes one feel like they actually are in Ukraine fighting mutants and bandits. The graphics are not very good although there are mods to alleviate this, and there is next to no voice acting and long text blobs that have to be read to understand the story. I wouldn't so much mind this, but in a game like stalker, it REALLY breaks the immersion and reminds you its a game. All in all, STALKER feels unfinished and sloppily put together. But I've certainly played worse. Expand
  69. EzJ
    Mar 25, 2007
    After years of development, S.T.A.L.K.E.R comes through and delivers a first rate experience in almost every way. If not for a few minor bugs and some poorly localized text, this would have got a 9.
  70. JustinF.
    Feb 8, 2008
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl is a wonderful FPS/RPG. It has stunning graphics (MUST HAVE A BITCHIN' COMPUTER) and the soundtrack is very well composed. NPC's are very helpful, but turn bland if you ask too many questions. Other than small lag spots in certain maps, this game is amazing. Immerse yourself in this post-apocalyptic game and I promise your palms will be S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl is a wonderful FPS/RPG. It has stunning graphics (MUST HAVE A BITCHIN' COMPUTER) and the soundtrack is very well composed. NPC's are very helpful, but turn bland if you ask too many questions. Other than small lag spots in certain maps, this game is amazing. Immerse yourself in this post-apocalyptic game and I promise your palms will be sweating before you can say Pripyat. Expand
  71. Jaker
    Apr 20, 2008
    This game is amazing. I have played FPS since Wolfenstein 3d(probably about 100 fps games total) and this is the most immersive environment I have ever seen. The game is so spooky, and is so addicting. I have clocked over 100 hours on the Single Player alone. My only problems with the game are it's technical jitters, but the game should not be missed. Stop reading this, and go buy it.
  72. CatherineQ
    Jun 1, 2008
    I dont normally play FPS im a bit naff at them and ive never really enjoyed rampaging around but with its role playing elements, a good story and multiple endings depending on your actions this game drew me in and ive become addicted. Its tragic about the bugs, some of which have crashed my laptop but do give this a go, its worth it.
  73. AndrewM.
    Mar 29, 2007
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a fascinating game. To no other title would I devote so much of my time while the game was damn near broken. I have a fairly decent rig, but the game runs like garbage in single player, I have to play in windowed mode with the settings at low-medium and I get a terrible frame rate much of the time. Despite that fact though, I push onward because for every time I want to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a fascinating game. To no other title would I devote so much of my time while the game was damn near broken. I have a fairly decent rig, but the game runs like garbage in single player, I have to play in windowed mode with the settings at low-medium and I get a terrible frame rate much of the time. Despite that fact though, I push onward because for every time I want to stop playing and wait for the inevitable patches, there is an instant in which the game completely and utterly surprises me. If you were (or maybe, like me, still are) a fan of Fallout 2 and really wish they would hurry the hell up with making Fallout 3 the sequel we all hoped for, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. should certainly make the wait easier. Hell, they could have released it a year from now after all the issues were fixed and called it Fallout 3 and I would not have complained. An amazing game. Expand
  74. Dec 16, 2010
    Some guns worked with stupid effectiveness each time, sometimes a couple of headshots killed the hostile easily just about 6 to 12m away. But firing an assault rifle with a sniper scope at a zombie's head took over 6 to 8 shots to killed it as it's just about 20 to 30m away is lame. Close up firing a sub-machine gun at a zombie just near your feet sent half of the shots to the limbo (sameSome guns worked with stupid effectiveness each time, sometimes a couple of headshots killed the hostile easily just about 6 to 12m away. But firing an assault rifle with a sniper scope at a zombie's head took over 6 to 8 shots to killed it as it's just about 20 to 30m away is lame. Close up firing a sub-machine gun at a zombie just near your feet sent half of the shots to the limbo (same happened when playing F.E.A.R. online with a 60 ping). No prone, only lean left/right, sprint, jump and ladder climbing. GTA:SA styled gameplay which allow the player to goes around and pick-up jobs. Not easy to learn as how to, as the objective menu interface are confusing so are the anomalies around or collected, it sure takes a lot of time to learn. No quad bikes or bicycle here and there (simply no vehicles in the junkyard), so it takes a long run from one place to another on foot. Due to the weights/loads you carries, it takes too much stopping for breathes to finish a trip. The FPS gets a big stuttering by every 3 or 5 running steps, it's like hiccups, but it doesn't happen in the first few areas/zones of the game. Try the other games like Crysis if your brain is tired after playing other PC games, because this game is the library and the nuns would love it best. Expand
  75. Jul 5, 2011
    This is hands down, the best single player game I have played. The atmosphere is fantastic and unlike any other game out there. it was in development for years and even though they didn't manage to include everything they wanted, what they did is still incredible. this is no Console shooter or port, if you want a simple run and gun don't buy it and play for 20 minutes and complain whenThis is hands down, the best single player game I have played. The atmosphere is fantastic and unlike any other game out there. it was in development for years and even though they didn't manage to include everything they wanted, what they did is still incredible. this is no Console shooter or port, if you want a simple run and gun don't buy it and play for 20 minutes and complain when unlike Crysis you can't kill everything in 10 seconds with your hi tech gun and invincible **** suit.

First of all, don't play it without downloading the Complete mod for free first. This updates the textures, sounds, AI, fixes a load of bugs and errors and makes the game what it wanted to be. It doesn't change anything, just cleans it all up.

This game isn't like other FPS because it is actually hard. You don't start off with an amazing gun and squad and intel, you have a coat and a pistol and aside from that you are on your own. The Zone is an easy place to die even without having a host of powerful mutants and heavily armed humans roaming around. This game doesn't hold your hand like Western shooters do, or load you up with amazing gear under the guise of being some Spec Ops soldier. The atmosphere is incredible, part's of it are creepy as hell and scary and not like the Doom3 teen equivalent of having a monster jump out when you press the door button or a loud bang etc. It is hard to get into because it is so unforgiving, and the first few maps and missions you are constantly trying to find a decent weapon that doesnt force you to retreat when outnumbered etc. If you want a linear shooter like HL2 or CoD with no freeplay, dialogue or exploration and lots of cutscenes then look elsewhere. There are plenty of games liek that around. if you want a slow hard atmospheric adventure then give it a try, turn out all the lights and play it till the sun comes up; call in sick and keep on playing.

Very few games are ever made like this because of the time spent and expertise of a dedicated small team that a large company could never replicate. There is such a talented modding community there are literally thousands of mods you can install; including some Total Conversions that change the story completely - and are good enough to be stolen by the developers for Call of Pripyat.

76. Oct 19, 2013
    I assumed that by the time I got to this game (6 patches deep) it would be playable and enjoyable. Nope. The bugs/glitches are terrible and the game design is flawed to begin with. I tried to like this game but it is a nightmare and not worth your time. The game starts off relatively interesting but then I quickly became bored with the running through zone after zone to reach certainI assumed that by the time I got to this game (6 patches deep) it would be playable and enjoyable. Nope. The bugs/glitches are terrible and the game design is flawed to begin with. I tried to like this game but it is a nightmare and not worth your time. The game starts off relatively interesting but then I quickly became bored with the running through zone after zone to reach certain locations. The enemies re spawn over and over in the same spots turning traveling into a chore. Bugs and glitches galore even after 6 patches! It seems like the developers just gave up. There's only so many bugs I can put up with.

Simply can't believe how many positive reviews this game has gotten. Anyone giving this game a score above mediocre has some incredible patience to put up with this tedious, chore of a game! Avoid at all costs.
  77. Dec 31, 2010
    A truly atmospheric game which gives you a very strange feeling while playing it. I remember the first time I played it, I hated it for the dated graphics (even though I never look at the graphics in games), for the bad so called tutorial and the (what I felt then) extremely hard gunfights. As I was going to uninstall it I got the feeling that I should give it a chance. I don't regret thatA truly atmospheric game which gives you a very strange feeling while playing it. I remember the first time I played it, I hated it for the dated graphics (even though I never look at the graphics in games), for the bad so called tutorial and the (what I felt then) extremely hard gunfights. As I was going to uninstall it I got the feeling that I should give it a chance. I don't regret that choice today. While you play along you get to learn the art of killing in this game and get a very rewarding feeling when you do it. Combat is complex in this game but that is a positive thing since I'm tired of today's FPS games where you are like a tank and your weapons are so easily used that even your grandma could pull a shot at somebodies head. Other than that I can guarantee that you will fall in love with the Zone as it is truly alive with its mutants, environments and anomalies. This game combines big parts of the FPS genre with its own twists and elements of the RPG genre with its free roaming, scavenging etc. I recommend this game to everyone cause it is a remarkable and special game in it own right. Give it a shot and you won't get disappointed. Good hunting stalker! Expand
  78. Aug 22, 2012
    Not sure why this game has received massive praise from people. The setting and possible story elements are great, but the actual story that is presented is bland, confusing, and uninteresting. It's often hard to understand what the ingame characters are saying and with the absence of subtitles, the story becomes useless. The atmosphere outside of Lad X18 is not engrossing or "atmospheric"Not sure why this game has received massive praise from people. The setting and possible story elements are great, but the actual story that is presented is bland, confusing, and uninteresting. It's often hard to understand what the ingame characters are saying and with the absence of subtitles, the story becomes useless. The atmosphere outside of Lad X18 is not engrossing or "atmospheric" at all. The levels are hardly open as you will often see fences and other obstructions which force to to take a pre-defined path. The gun play is okay, if a bit stale. There are an insane amount of bugs and glitches present, including broken animations, application crashing, etc. If you want an engrossing Post-apocalyptic game done by an Eastern European studio, get Metro 2033 instead. It is far, far better than this title. Expand
  79. Feb 2, 2014
    Under developed. The only thing i can truly say that some of the landscapes looked good. Other than respawning enemys, guns jamming just wasnt enjoyable shooter for my taste. The only reason i bought it was the fact some of my mates overhyped it. So i tried it and was wtf. I gave them some other shooters (few years earlier developed) and they liked them more. People who overrate this seemUnder developed. The only thing i can truly say that some of the landscapes looked good. Other than respawning enemys, guns jamming just wasnt enjoyable shooter for my taste. The only reason i bought it was the fact some of my mates overhyped it. So i tried it and was wtf. I gave them some other shooters (few years earlier developed) and they liked them more. People who overrate this seem not to have played much shooters. Expand
  80. NickN
    Jan 2, 2010
    This is a stunning game. I've been playing Stalker for two years and still can't find any game which would deliver a similar experience in the atmosphere. Although, these were the various mods (Russian version of the game) that enriched the game immensely, I got hooked on the original game and still can't shake off its charm.
  81. Sep 29, 2010
    Loved this game, played with the "Complete" mod and really enjoyed the experience. I skipped Clear Sky, but have Call of Pripyat and am awaiting the "Complete" mod for it...
  82. JohnAnonymous
    Apr 10, 2007
    As soon as they iron out all the bugs, the game will be a classic. Currently I have to exit and launch the game again to get the PDA to update the mission status. The fact that the enemies keep reappearing out of thin air is extremely annoying. This must be switched off. And, guys, since you equipped the NPC with guitars, get them a decent repertoire of Russian tourist songs (hint: Visbor As soon as they iron out all the bugs, the game will be a classic. Currently I have to exit and launch the game again to get the PDA to update the mission status. The fact that the enemies keep reappearing out of thin air is extremely annoying. This must be switched off. And, guys, since you equipped the NPC with guitars, get them a decent repertoire of Russian tourist songs (hint: Visbor is out of copyright). Expand
  83. ChandraP.
    Jun 19, 2007
    It's a great game with with greatest gunfights ever.
  84. Korin
    Aug 9, 2007
    Excessive respawn is addressed in patch 1.0003. Don't be.....
  85. ThomasP.
    Sep 9, 2007
    How can someone rate a game zero? Especially this game? This game is great! Like a combination of Halo, Morrowind, Half-life, doom, Freelancer and maybe a few more. The new patch is out that fixes many of the bugs that have been complained about so don't worry about that, it's just kind of hard to find a place to get it from but it worked out. The AI is amazing, constantly How can someone rate a game zero? Especially this game? This game is great! Like a combination of Halo, Morrowind, Half-life, doom, Freelancer and maybe a few more. The new patch is out that fixes many of the bugs that have been complained about so don't worry about that, it's just kind of hard to find a place to get it from but it worked out. The AI is amazing, constantly changing tactics and adapting to enviroment, but they do act like they have an IQ les than that of a jar of mayonaise, but not often.My only grip about this is that if you wan't to run this on high settings, you've got to have a beastly computer. All in all, great title that mixes different game elements to create a unique and gripping expeiriance. Expand
  86. Bobbys
    Jan 15, 2010
    This is one of the best games i have played in a long time. By the time you are done with it you want more. Combat and story are superb. It is great just to sit around a campfire listening to the guitar in a post apocalyptic environment.. You never want to come back. Great job GSC
  87. Wazoo
    Mar 20, 2007
    + Fantastic atmosphere. + VERY good AI that flanks (even in the vertical!) and uses cover. + Very stable for me. Not one CTD yet. + Impressive graphics engine that makes the environment believable. + HUGE draw distances + Weapon accuracy/ballistics just "feels" real (bullets impact at distance with nice dispersal effect witnessed by bullet impact graphics/lighting) + Firefights, between + Fantastic atmosphere. + VERY good AI that flanks (even in the vertical!) and uses cover. + Very stable for me. Not one CTD yet. + Impressive graphics engine that makes the environment believable. + HUGE draw distances + Weapon accuracy/ballistics just "feels" real (bullets impact at distance with nice dispersal effect witnessed by bullet impact graphics/lighting) + Firefights, between the enemy AI and the ballastics, are just wicked fun! + Very open ended gameplay. Fun for explorers. + Non-scripted activity abounds! The world feels alive. Seriously. - Real resource hog with type lighting effects. Running on 7800GTX SLI OC'd, X2 4800+, 2gig and can maintain over 30fps in 1600x1024 with HDR *most* of the time. High object density areas can dip it into the high-teens. - Story is weak. If English is the writer's first language, he/she has the literary skills of an 8th grader. - Overall lacks "polish"; mouse wheel works poorly with map, fonts often look like place holders, need to push-and-hold to maintain "iron-sight" view. etc. etc. - Economic system seems imbalanced. Seems a bit too easy to get cash and not too much to buy. Expand
  88. KylebK.
    Mar 23, 2007
    This is a great game and a huge persistent world with realtime weather and day change. There are awesome enemies it just takes a while to progress. If you like free roaming exploration and a storyline that isn't just fed to you with a kickass atmosphere get this game. you will get lost in it. Think HL2 meets Fallout 2 meets F.E.A.R. meets Oblivion, with better graphics. better have This is a great game and a huge persistent world with realtime weather and day change. There are awesome enemies it just takes a while to progress. If you like free roaming exploration and a storyline that isn't just fed to you with a kickass atmosphere get this game. you will get lost in it. Think HL2 meets Fallout 2 meets F.E.A.R. meets Oblivion, with better graphics. better have at least a radeon X800 or Geforce 7900 GS with a decent processor though. Expand
  89. BradG.
    Mar 28, 2007
    I'm really enjoying this game, but not for the same reasons I've been looking forward to it for the past few years. The game has a lot more in common with Deus Ex than it does with Oblivion. You do have a certain level of freedom to explore but the world is quite small overall. Its broken up into somewhat linear maps and the side quests are a lot like those found in Freelancer, I'm really enjoying this game, but not for the same reasons I've been looking forward to it for the past few years. The game has a lot more in common with Deus Ex than it does with Oblivion. You do have a certain level of freedom to explore but the world is quite small overall. Its broken up into somewhat linear maps and the side quests are a lot like those found in Freelancer, standard "shoot him" or "collect that" fare. Still, the single player campaign is quite good. The human enemies are extremely smart and always surprise me with their capacity to flank, hide, and cover one another. The game's most promoted feature, the so called "A-Life", seems to be there in full effect but almost never has enough room to run around. Packs of wild dogs (among other things) move around eating things, running when outnumbered or scared, and working as a team, but only three or four of the games areas feature these elements and most can be run across in a couple of minutes. I was also disappointed to see the more innovated enemies like the bloodsuckers and psychics almost completely constricted to the main quest. You'll rarely run into any interesting enemies until you reach the last few areas. The Zone's anomalies are also hit and miss. They range from nothing more than boring, glorified minefields in the open areas to well integrated traps and visual effects in some of the interiors. Radiation has some cool implementations like radiated, burned out vehicle hulks on some maps but it is often simply used to mark the edge of someplace you can't go yet. The artifacts are interesting, though they're really nothing more than stats boosters randomly strewn across the landscape. The factional elements are also woefully underdeveloped and don't come close to what you'll find in other free-form games. In the end, you're investing in a standard FPS with a great sense of style, gripping atmosphere, and solid gameplay. Sadly, for any of us who frequented the game's original website (replaced a few months ago), this isn't quite the game we expected. No vehicles, no massive world to sink into, and practically nothing interesting to do off the beaten path of the main quest. Everything unique or outstanding gets showcased in the plot missions which can sadly be breezed through in under 20 hours. Expand
  90. MichaelB.
    May 3, 2007
    I found this game extremely immersing. I was reminded of my Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion experience. So much to do, so many things to kill and loot. The setting is perfect for the gameplay and creates very intense situations. There are a few bugs, and some of the interface could use some polish, so I cannot grant a perfect score. If you are interested in a Fallout styled Oblivion I found this game extremely immersing. I was reminded of my Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion experience. So much to do, so many things to kill and loot. The setting is perfect for the gameplay and creates very intense situations. There are a few bugs, and some of the interface could use some polish, so I cannot grant a perfect score. If you are interested in a Fallout styled Oblivion experience, this is the game for you. Expand
  91. XNelson
    Jun 2, 2007
    It ends so suddenly, nice weapons, nice sounds, a good game.
  92. MikeL.
    Jul 15, 2007
    Has a learning curve of sorts, you really need to figure out how best to survive in your environment. That being said, the game designers said that's what they wanted. I think this game is fantastic, I think the graphics are quite spectacular, even though they rely on very high rig specs. This game might have the best gun fights I've ever seen in a game. The Ai is impressive, Has a learning curve of sorts, you really need to figure out how best to survive in your environment. That being said, the game designers said that's what they wanted. I think this game is fantastic, I think the graphics are quite spectacular, even though they rely on very high rig specs. This game might have the best gun fights I've ever seen in a game. The Ai is impressive, they take cover very well and will escape if they feel out-gunned, they will even hid so they can ambush you later. I enjoy the inventory system they use in this game, you can find detachable under barrel grenade launchers and scopes for your weapons, armor and relics of the wastes. The environmental qualities of the game are above that of HL2 if not as varied. Most everywhere you go will be very.....Russian. The grass isn't going to be bright green and there won't be palm tress but there are still sunny days and it feels like summer sometimes. The designers took trips to Russia to get it right. I think they did, if you like abandoned buildings, research labs, makeshift military camps, sewers etc in quarantine zones you'll like the setting. There are dynamic day/night cycles, which means if you speed up time you see the sun raising and setting and the shadows growing longer, very cool. There is also a dynamic weather system, there is nothing cooler than having a gunfight with an enemy faction through the streets of an abandoned city with flashes of lightning lighting up everything around you and casting realistic shadows of all the trees and buildings. It's needless to say at this point that the real-time shadows are re-donk-ulous. One of the cons of this game is that every-time you move through an area and it needs to reload it, the enemies come back. Which is a huge jolt of unrealism, because the bodies stay for like a week game time. So after clearing out one of the much larger camps of 50 or so enemies and you go back, you have mounds of corpses. I built a wall via "300" of corpses, must have been 80 or so, that's the most un-realilistic thing ever. Another con is that to enjoy the awesome graphics you need to have a computer that can run Oblivion without dropping below 30 fps at any time. It seems to me that the longer I play the more I take a hit on fps because the game has more to remember in high traffic areas. You need a moderately powerful computer to run this game well. Personally I haven't had any crash error problems, but I hear that's a common launch problem. If you install the first patch your save games from V1.00 don't work anymore. It has issues, but I feel I got more than my moneys worth in this game. Expand
  93. Oct 9, 2010
    "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl" is one of the best games ever made when it comes to atmosphere, storyline and geography. The personality of the characters in this game is amazing as well. You will never feel alone in this game. Even though the FPS part doesn't really bring something new to this kind of genre, it's amazing how it works in combination with some RPG elements. Yes, there"S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl" is one of the best games ever made when it comes to atmosphere, storyline and geography. The personality of the characters in this game is amazing as well. You will never feel alone in this game. Even though the FPS part doesn't really bring something new to this kind of genre, it's amazing how it works in combination with some RPG elements. Yes, there are quite a few bugs and glitches here and there, but with one or two patches, the game is truly stunning. I have to say that when I first played the game, I fell in love with it in a few seconds. Expand
  94. Nov 7, 2010
    I tried very hard to like this game, and bought it at a deep (Halloween) discount on Steam (along with Pripyat) because I had always heard good things about it. Today, having just gotten to the Garbage, I was prepared to uninstall this game and write about how crap it is. I was JUST ABOUT TO go through with that... when I noticed that the game has a modding community. Surely, I thought,I tried very hard to like this game, and bought it at a deep (Halloween) discount on Steam (along with Pripyat) because I had always heard good things about it. Today, having just gotten to the Garbage, I was prepared to uninstall this game and write about how crap it is. I was JUST ABOUT TO go through with that... when I noticed that the game has a modding community. Surely, I thought, some astute modder has by now (the game is 3 years old) overhauled this game and made it not suck. YES! In summary, downloading and installing the STALKER Complete 2009 (currently 1.4.4) mod is a REQUIREMENT to enjoy this game. If you don't, you WILL NOT like it unless you're retarded. If you do install the mod, you might still not like it, but at least it will have put its best foot forward. The game is literally incomplete without this mod installed, and experienced gamers will identify the fact that the game, even fully patched, is in a development state that could be called "late beta". This is what the STALKER Complete 2009 mod rectifies. It alters so many aspects of the game, and the filesize is so large (700mb) that it might as well be called the official version of the game. What came out before that was just a buggy release candidate. For graphics cards that can handle it, the mod also makes the game pretty, departing from the game's original "real is brown" philosophy, aka the "we're too cheap to give you decent HDR" philosophy. I'm giving the game only a 6 because it was released in such bad shape, and the developers didn't have a hand in this mod, so why should they get positive recognition for it? Expand
  95. Apr 5, 2012
    This game made me cry. Slow game play, missions that didn't progress anything, long treks through rainy areas just to get to the next place only to realize I had to go back, and mobs of extremely accurate or extremely strong enemies that can kill you in an instant but you have to hit them with everything you have to kill them. Making enemies incredibly difficult to kill while make youThis game made me cry. Slow game play, missions that didn't progress anything, long treks through rainy areas just to get to the next place only to realize I had to go back, and mobs of extremely accurate or extremely strong enemies that can kill you in an instant but you have to hit them with everything you have to kill them. Making enemies incredibly difficult to kill while make you easy to kill doesn't make the game terrifying, just frustrating. I can understand making a game difficult, I would be even more bored with a game I could just walk through, but a game you can't even get through when you try every strategy you can? The graphics are pretty bad for 2007 and the plot is flimsy at best (wet toilet paper holds up better). I only give it a 5 because of a few things. First, if you play this game like the survival type that it should have been (screw the missions and storyline), the game holds the attention for a while. Second, The realism from having to decide what to hold and what to leave behind is a good system (too many games seem to think that ammo weighs nothing). And third, oh wait...there is no third, that's why I'm rating it a 3... Expand
  96. GAMEDEFENDER
    Sep 7, 2008
    For the love of God, stop comparing this game to Oblivion and FEAR!!!
    FEAR sucked, it only had cheap scares, and Oblivion is only good with a couple thousand mods running at once!!!
    STALKER is based on real life. And it captures that feeling well. If you think that you can't handle STALKER, then maybe you should all just crawl back to your cribs where you belong. As fr me? I give
    For the love of God, stop comparing this game to Oblivion and FEAR!!!

As fr me? I give it a 10 just to shove it in these babies' faces. And it deserves the 10, too.
  97. Apr 27, 2013
    “The Zone” is a genuine uninhabitable region in the Ukraine covered in nuclear fallout. STALKER took this idea, made a few fictional tweaks, and established a creepy world with paranormal scenery. The enemies are creatively designed to depict mutated forms of life that’ll frighten and shock you. The atmosphere, setting, and environment are STALKER’s power play. The thunderstorms are“The Zone” is a genuine uninhabitable region in the Ukraine covered in nuclear fallout. STALKER took this idea, made a few fictional tweaks, and established a creepy world with paranormal scenery. The enemies are creatively designed to depict mutated forms of life that’ll frighten and shock you. The atmosphere, setting, and environment are STALKER’s power play. The thunderstorms are awesome, the anomalies are bizarre and the bloodsuckers will have you jump out of your seat. Venturing through The Zone after sunset will make you very uneasy and keep you on your toes. This is a unique game with a lot of potential. Add the STALKER complete mod and prepare yourself for a scary and paranormal experience in The Zone. I highly recommend this game to sandbox, first person shooter, or even RPG fans. Expand
  98. Dec 30, 2011
    Most atmospheric game i have ever played. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is amazing combination of Shooter and Roleplaying. Stalker is an experience you never forget.
  99. Feb 26, 2012
    Simply a great and outstanding game. To this day (2/26/2012) I've not played any video game with such dense, dark, frightening atmosphere. Play it when it's dark, put your headphones on and get ready to **** your pants.
  100. Dec 1, 2015
    Masterpiece this game is amazing
    . . .

1. PC Zone UK
    As a brave experiment in all-action shootery, STALKER has certainly succeeded, though with its dearth of personality and many peculiar foibles, you can't help but wish that the publishers had granted GSC some extra time to polish their creation. Oh, hang on a minute... [Apr 2007, p.56]
  2. It's a warped behemoth from the Ukraine, and one of the scariest games on the PC. Stalker will remind you of all kinds of prior games, and yet it will also defy your expectations. Like the mythological Chernobyl zone it is based upon, this game is a treacherous, darkly beautiful terrain. Not everyone is going to enjoy venturing into the zone, but some of those who do will find what they've been looking for.
  3. Littered with a variety of anomalies which can cause the unwary to explode and other delightful stuff, mutant doggies, deserted buildings, weather effects, real-time day/night cycles etc. etc. - it creates a deliciously unique atmosphere.