• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Mar 20, 2007
8.4

1. Aug 20, 2011
    **** story, **** combat, **** graphics, just horrifically boring. The game doesn't explain much to you, there is barely any story line, your time is spent wandering around from pointless quest to pointless quest untill you end up in an area where you are continually losing health from radiation and no idea of where to find a god damn radiation suit.
  2. Oct 19, 2013
    I assumed that by the time I got to this game (6 patches deep) it would be playable and enjoyable. Nope. The bugs/glitches are terrible and the game design is flawed to begin with. I tried to like this game but it is a nightmare and not worth your time. The game starts off relatively interesting but then I quickly became bored with the running through zone after zone to reach certainI assumed that by the time I got to this game (6 patches deep) it would be playable and enjoyable. Nope. The bugs/glitches are terrible and the game design is flawed to begin with. I tried to like this game but it is a nightmare and not worth your time. The game starts off relatively interesting but then I quickly became bored with the running through zone after zone to reach certain locations. The enemies re spawn over and over in the same spots turning traveling into a chore. Bugs and glitches galore even after 6 patches! It seems like the developers just gave up. There's only so many bugs I can put up with.

Simply can't believe how many positive reviews this game has gotten. Anyone giving this game a score above mediocre has some incredible patience to put up with this tedious, chore of a game! Avoid at all costs.
  3. Apr 5, 2012
    This game made me cry. Slow game play, missions that didn't progress anything, long treks through rainy areas just to get to the next place only to realize I had to go back, and mobs of extremely accurate or extremely strong enemies that can kill you in an instant but you have to hit them with everything you have to kill them. Making enemies incredibly difficult to kill while make youThis game made me cry. Slow game play, missions that didn't progress anything, long treks through rainy areas just to get to the next place only to realize I had to go back, and mobs of extremely accurate or extremely strong enemies that can kill you in an instant but you have to hit them with everything you have to kill them. Making enemies incredibly difficult to kill while make you easy to kill doesn't make the game terrifying, just frustrating. I can understand making a game difficult, I would be even more bored with a game I could just walk through, but a game you can't even get through when you try every strategy you can? The graphics are pretty bad for 2007 and the plot is flimsy at best (wet toilet paper holds up better). I only give it a 5 because of a few things. First, if you play this game like the survival type that it should have been (screw the missions and storyline), the game holds the attention for a while. Second, The realism from having to decide what to hold and what to leave behind is a good system (too many games seem to think that ammo weighs nothing). And third, oh wait...there is no third, that's why I'm rating it a 3... Expand
  4. Feb 2, 2014
    Under developed. The only thing i can truly say that some of the landscapes looked good. Other than respawning enemys, guns jamming just wasnt enjoyable shooter for my taste. The only reason i bought it was the fact some of my mates overhyped it. So i tried it and was wtf. I gave them some other shooters (few years earlier developed) and they liked them more. People who overrate this seemUnder developed. The only thing i can truly say that some of the landscapes looked good. Other than respawning enemys, guns jamming just wasnt enjoyable shooter for my taste. The only reason i bought it was the fact some of my mates overhyped it. So i tried it and was wtf. I gave them some other shooters (few years earlier developed) and they liked them more. People who overrate this seem not to have played much shooters. Expand
  5. Aug 23, 2010
    OK, I have to correct my previous review because I forgot to set the rating on it. This game is definitely NOT a 10. So here is my previous review with the correct rating: I had very high hopes for this game based on the other reviews but I found it almost unplayable. Unmentioned anywhere else is that, unlike every other FPS game I have ever played, the image you see on your screen bobsOK, I have to correct my previous review because I forgot to set the rating on it. This game is definitely NOT a 10. So here is my previous review with the correct rating: I had very high hopes for this game based on the other reviews but I found it almost unplayable. Unmentioned anywhere else is that, unlike every other FPS game I have ever played, the image you see on your screen bobs from side to side and up and down as you move. This literally gave me a headache after only a few minutes of playing it. Every other game just moves you smoothly, so I don't know why they had to add the unnecessary movement in this one. In addition, the graphics, which other reviews have raved about, were nothing special. to me. It seems to be a very crude imitation of what a FPS should be. I just bought this and, even as part of special bundle deal, this was money wasted for me. Expand
  6. Jan 25, 2014
    Back in 2007 I stopped played when after update my saves stopped working.
    The game was so many years in development that the engine was already outdated by the release time.
    Not even half of promised appeared in the final version. Isolated areas instead of big world, no vehicles, respawning enemies, etc. Not even mentioned massive amount of bugs and gameplay issues.
  7. Jun 23, 2013
    This game is totally underdeveloped broken I never experienced so many game breaking glitches and bugs. AI is brain dead, game play is boring and only dangerous think about enemies is that they re-spawn.
  8. Apr 19, 2013
    This game was, in my opinion, badly made. No autosave feature made the game very irritable. I didn't even know of it until I died after doing 5 missions (and had to redo them.) Also, no headbob setting. The headbob seemed too extreme, as I was getting a headache 10 minutes into the game. I played this game on novice and it seems like I'm playing it on hard. I look in my inventory, hearThis game was, in my opinion, badly made. No autosave feature made the game very irritable. I didn't even know of it until I died after doing 5 missions (and had to redo them.) Also, no headbob setting. The headbob seemed too extreme, as I was getting a headache 10 minutes into the game. I played this game on novice and it seems like I'm playing it on hard. I look in my inventory, hear two shots, and I die instantly (I had full health.) The way that the aiming is very random is quite annoying. The tutorial from Trader randomly skipped through what he was saying without me pressing anything so I barely even knew how to do certain things. I had to get a mod for autosaving and headbobbing. I got very far into the game, when I got a crash report. I kept loading the game and I kept getting the same crash, so now the game is unplayable for me UNLESS I hit the "Load last save" button on the menu which literally takes me back to the start of the game. The game seemed fun, but all of these things are blinding it from the fun I thought it was. Very disappointed in this game and I wish I could get my money back. Expand
  9. Jul 16, 2013
    Without the "complete" mod this game is unplayable. Mostly because of the head bobing. I can play Descent for hours with no problem, yet this game made my eyes hurt. I really don't understand what the developers where thinking when they put that bobing in the game. Anyway, the "complete" mod thankfully removes it.

But still, after 4 hours of gameplay this game failed to give me any kind

But still, after 4 hours of gameplay this game failed to give me any kind of purpose. I keep asking myself why is my character persuing all these things. Why does he even care? 4 hours and still no purpose, just a series of boring missions killing bandits in a wasteland.

They say it's open world but I got tired of being stopped by barbed wire fences.

The UI feels a bit buggy too and perhaps not fit to modern screen resolutions (even using the "complete" mod).

The graphics with the "complete" mod are good though and overall the fighting was interesting in some cases. Still I've seen better fights in other games.

IMO it's not worth the 6 euros I gave. It completely failed to give me any kind of interest after 4 hours of play and the only reason I kept playing was because of all the praise that this game gets from other players. If it was just some unknown game, I would have dropped it in the first hour or so.

1. As a brave experiment in all-action shootery, STALKER has certainly succeeded, though with its dearth of personality and many peculiar foibles, you can't help but wish that the publishers had granted GSC some extra time to polish their creation. Oh, hang on a minute... [Apr 2007, p.56]
  2. It's a warped behemoth from the Ukraine, and one of the scariest games on the PC. Stalker will remind you of all kinds of prior games, and yet it will also defy your expectations. Like the mythological Chernobyl zone it is based upon, this game is a treacherous, darkly beautiful terrain. Not everyone is going to enjoy venturing into the zone, but some of those who do will find what they've been looking for.
  3. Littered with a variety of anomalies which can cause the unwary to explode and other delightful stuff, mutant doggies, deserted buildings, weather effects, real-time day/night cycles etc. etc. - it creates a deliciously unique atmosphere.