• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Mar 20, 2007
8.4

1. Jul 5, 2011
    This is hands down, the best single player game I have played. The atmosphere is fantastic and unlike any other game out there. it was in development for years and even though they didn't manage to include everything they wanted, what they did is still incredible. this is no Console shooter or port, if you want a simple run and gun don't buy it and play for 20 minutes and complain when unlike Crysis you can't kill everything in 10 seconds with your hi tech gun and invincible **** suit.

First of all, don't play it without downloading the Complete mod for free first. This updates the textures, sounds, AI, fixes a load of bugs and errors and makes the game what it wanted to be. It doesn't change anything, just cleans it all up.

This game isn't like other FPS because it is actually hard. You don't start off with an amazing gun and squad and intel, you have a coat and a pistol and aside from that you are on your own. The Zone is an easy place to die even without having a host of powerful mutants and heavily armed humans roaming around. This game doesn't hold your hand like Western shooters do, or load you up with amazing gear under the guise of being some Spec Ops soldier. The atmosphere is incredible, part's of it are creepy as hell and scary and not like the Doom3 teen equivalent of having a monster jump out when you press the door button or a loud bang etc. It is hard to get into because it is so unforgiving, and the first few maps and missions you are constantly trying to find a decent weapon that doesnt force you to retreat when outnumbered etc. If you want a linear shooter like HL2 or CoD with no freeplay, dialogue or exploration and lots of cutscenes then look elsewhere. There are plenty of games liek that around. if you want a slow hard atmospheric adventure then give it a try, turn out all the lights and play it till the sun comes up; call in sick and keep on playing.

Very few games are ever made like this because of the time spent and expertise of a dedicated small team that a large company could never replicate. There is such a talented modding community there are literally thousands of mods you can install; including some Total Conversions that change the story completely - and are good enough to be stolen by the developers for Call of Pripyat.

2. Dec 31, 2010
    A truly atmospheric game which gives you a very strange feeling while playing it. I remember the first time I played it, I hated it for the dated graphics (even though I never look at the graphics in games), for the bad so called tutorial and the (what I felt then) extremely hard gunfights. As I was going to uninstall it I got the feeling that I should give it a chance. I don't regret that choice today. While you play along you get to learn the art of killing in this game and get a very rewarding feeling when you do it. Combat is complex in this game but that is a positive thing since I'm tired of today's FPS games where you are like a tank and your weapons are so easily used that even your grandma could pull a shot at somebodies head. Other than that I can guarantee that you will fall in love with the Zone as it is truly alive with its mutants, environments and anomalies. This game combines big parts of the FPS genre with its own twists and elements of the RPG genre with its free roaming, scavenging etc. I recommend this game to everyone cause it is a remarkable and special game in it own right. Give it a shot and you won't get disappointed. Good hunting stalker! Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2010
    "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl" is one of the best games ever made when it comes to atmosphere, storyline and geography. The personality of the characters in this game is amazing as well. You will never feel alone in this game. Even though the FPS part doesn't really bring something new to this kind of genre, it's amazing how it works in combination with some RPG elements. Yes, there are quite a few bugs and glitches here and there, but with one or two patches, the game is truly stunning. I have to say that when I first played the game, I fell in love with it in a few seconds. Expand
  4. Sep 29, 2010
    Loved this game, played with the "Complete" mod and really enjoyed the experience. I skipped Clear Sky, but have Call of Pripyat and am awaiting the "Complete" mod for it...
  5. Dec 30, 2011
    Most atmospheric game i have ever played. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is amazing combination of Shooter and Roleplaying. Stalker is an experience you never forget.
  6. Jul 12, 2011
    "In Soviet Russia (ok... Ukraine), game plays you..." I play this game with the "Complete 2009" mod. They say you have to play with it because it removes bugs and updates the graphics, without removing or adding any gameplay mechanics. So credits to them for making this game a "10" title. This game isn't a console port which gives it 1 bonus point in my opinion. I think even reviewing a game in many cases is a spoiler because the best thing is to just go and play it without knowing before hand what you can except and without having so many opinions about it...

Awesome rpg meets awesome fps shooter.

7. Jan 5, 2013
    Really awesome game, one of the best rpg shooters ever. Awesome graphics (demanding a really strong machine tho), great sound, good user interfrace. But most importantly this game is *IDIOT PROOF*. Great world, great story, great atmosphere, great fun. Beats pretty much any modern fps or role playing shooter, hands down. The entire series is a proof, that there's yet hope for modern fps games!
  8. Jul 24, 2011
    This is a great game, definitely worth playing. I had a few false starts over the last few years, but i played it and finished it over the last few weeks. according to steam, I clocked in at 27 hours. The game has a few bugs still but none of which are showstopping. This game had a few balance issues (way too much ammo and money in the world, pistols are completely useless beyond the first 2 hours or so). The environments was absolutely stunning and very authentic looking. Before playing the game I suggest you read up on the history of chernobyl on wikipedia... it's fascinating. The enemy AI was very good, but unfortunately there was no stealth aspect to the game, simply because enemies are aware of you almost all of the time, so the only way is to run and gun. The story was just ok and the missions were pretty all right. Overall I loved it... HOWEVER, i unfortunately hadn't heard of "stalker complete 2009" until after I finished the game, which was a real pity... so if you haven't played it yet, be sure to pick up that mod before starting up the game. Expand
  9. Sep 7, 2010
    Synopsis: The greatest single-player FPS experience ever made ... and I've played darn near all of them.

Okay, first of all, people ... if there's ever been a game in the history of the world where reviewing it after playing it for an hour or two (or less) is totally inappropriate, it is this game. Secondly, reviews from 2007 complaining about bugs should be basically ignored. This game
    didn't really get fully patched until '08, but when you play it now it's a fairly bug-free experience.

Now, on to the game. I've had it since '07, I've played it through with just about every patch that's come out. I've also played it through with a bunch of different mods. This means I've found it engrossing enough to play through at least 10 separate times. And it is not a short game either.

In fairness, this is not a perfect game by any stretch. YES, it's relatively difficult in the beginning. Yes, the weapons are terrible, and inaccurate, and under-powered, and you die ... a lot. Yes the PDA is kinda hard to figure out, it's hard to know what to do. Unlike most big-budget titles, the beginnings of your career as a Stalker is perilous and confusing. There is no hand-holding, and you need to make manual saves A LOT, because death will always be at your doorstep.

But if you stick with it, you figure these things out. You get better weapons and armor, and artifacts to improve your survival rate. You get accurate weapons with scopes, etc. You slowly adapt to life in 'The Zone', and become proficient at all the things you need to be proficient at in order to survive.

I can practically guarantee that if you play this game through to conclusion (and make sure you do what's necessary to get the one 'Real' ending, otherwise the ending(s) suck), if you're an FPS fan, I can guarantee you that you will not be disappointed in the overall experience of this game.

And in case I didn't mention it, the replay factor of this game is VERY high. And if you finish it, you'll almost certainly want to play it again.
  10. Nov 24, 2011
    This is a game that you really want to love, but sadly it's put down by all the bugs in the game. There's either bugs that crash the game, that make a quest impossible to finish, to bugs that simply make the gameplay suffer. If it weren't for the bugs, I'd be giving this game a 10, but sadly I must give it a 7 since the game just suffers alot from all the bugs.
  11. Jun 7, 2011
    Great game. It is priceless to be alone in the night, sat on a broken rooftop under a big thunderstorm, without any ammunitions and hearing a lot of mutant wolfs breathing while waiting for their lunch...
  12. Jan 7, 2014
    Just replayed this after exhausting it for years. Still a great game. The stalker series have an atmosphere I have never found in any other game although there are some similarities with fallout. Preferred call of pripayt as it feels more polished but I love the open feel of Shadows of Cherobyl. CoP lost a little of the open world feel but not enough to kill it. A classic game in a classic series. We need more like this. Expand
  13. Jan 27, 2011
    One of the best and most atmospheric horror/action FPS's in recent time. It's similar to but better than Fallout 3, at least after you've installed STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl Complete 2012 mod + realistic weapons. Those mods fixes a large number of bugs and updates the graphics to be better than the (horrible) sequel Stalker: Clear Sky. Very highly recommended game.
  14. Mar 25, 2011
    Lately, the industry has been flooded with CoD-esque linear shooters. Very few games now-a-days have the pure, innovative gameplay, that S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl provides. STALKER is a lot of things, it's atmospheric, it's frightening, it's unique, and it's quite hard. However, STALKER is not Call of Duty, nor is it Fallout, and especially not Oblivion, it isn't even an entirely perfect game. To the players that man up, and fight there way through the zone, this will be a game that is played over, and over again.

With 7 different endings, and a amazingly long single player mode, this game will deliver surprises both good and bad for years to come, especially with the huge modding community.

STALKER tries to be annoyingly realistic. You will die of blood loss, if you don't bandage up wounds. You will not take a shotgun wound standing. You will not walk away from radiation, without some medication.

Graphically, STALKER has some of the best dynamic lighting engines ever, and it's a game that holds off the bloom, so it has a distinctive "dirty" look. Perfect for the harsh wastelands surrounding Chernobyl.

Most bugs have been patched, and I highly recommend that everyone plays this spectacular game.
  15. Apr 22, 2011
    As somebody who likes post-apocalyptic settings, this is one of my favorite games of the last few years. It can be difficult to get into, but once the initial barriers are overcome it offers an incredible atmosphere and a fascinating game world. Especially with the Complete mod it's an experience that everybody who is even remotely interested should check out. It can be had for a very low price these days and offers many hours of playtime. Expand
  16. Dec 25, 2011
    Back in 2007 STALKER brought a breeze of fresh air in the horror genre. It's postapolaiptic Zone countryside was unforgiving, the atmosphere thick and some locations scared you **** Though buggy at release, got a bunch of official patches, and even professional-quality mod packs - look up STALKER Complete series of mods, which fixes most annoying features and bugs left by the developers, and brings the graphics up to 2011 standards. A must-play for those who enjoy being afraid. Expand
  17. Jun 10, 2011
    I just started walking around, and low and behold, 5 dogs pounced on me out of nowhere., and then flashes of radiation randomly killed me. What? Ummm. . . AWESOME! This game doesn't hold my hand, and actually turns the environment against you. I'd probably have understood it more if I wasn't such a bloody moron and didn't run ahead, or ignore the manuel. Damn my complete stupidity and lack of taste. Damn it. Expand
  18. Apr 14, 2013
    With the STALKER Complete Mod, all the bugs and lack of polish are stripped away, and what's left is a horribly beautiful treasure of the PC platform.
  19. Jul 16, 2011
    This game is utterly stunning. A breakthrough as far as gaming is concerned. Being a true hunter, I can honestly declare S.T.A.L.K.E.R as the most realistic account of actually lugging a weapon in an open field. In fact, it is easy to forget yourself and imagine a proper hunting trip through scrub and forest with industrial detritus thrown in as a bonus. Although the foliage is consistent throughout the game, the environments are extensive and the scenery varies - from contaminated creeks and swamps, to hills and elevated terrain. There is a literal plethora of abandoned buildings and hidden areas to explore and almost all of them contain some kind of reward. The loose goals and utter in-game freedom encourage exploration and provide great incentive for the player to realise all of the inherent possibilities. Adding further to this, eery music, strange biological sound effects and unusually gloomy areas all culminate to form a unique sense of mystery. Overall, this game genuinely appeals to the hunter gatherer instinct, which judging by some of these reviews, seems to be on the decline. When it comes to personal items, you start off with the bare minimum (pretty much junk) and have to work your way up to achieve a high tactical prowess. Although this is a common theme in many FPS's, it is starkly emphasised in this particular title. Items known as artifacts can be found scattered around the environs and offer a vast improvement in terms of Strelok's abilities. Some artifacts provide resistance to radiation and chemical burns, whilst others increase stamina and healing. Since they occur in dangerous areas, artifacts commend great value on the market and the rarer ones can be sold or swapped amongst stalkers for virtually anything that is on offer. Ammunition is relatively scarce, and must be conserved in order to ensure success. Players will find themselves searching dead bodies and unloading dropped weapons in order to accumulate their ammo. Similarly, health supplies like medkits can be difficult to find, but if a player is careful, they do eventually accumulate. Bandages, anti-rad medicines and foodstuffs are very common throughout the game, but can be quickly depleted if a player fails to be conservative. The weapons in this game are nothing short of brilliant. High end weapons are customisable and behave in a very realistic manner - there is a whole lot of recoil from auto weapons and this makes aiming virtually impossible when shooting in full automatic. During large bursts, a weapon will sway both traversely and longitudinally making it very difficult to shoot distant targets. This can be counteracted by switching the weapon mode to single/semi or by firing in sporadic bursts. Even with a brand new rifle, accuracy is never 100% and when overused, a weapon's condition will deteriorate further, hence decreasing its effectiveness. Jamming is common in poorly guns, and they must be reloaded to permit firing again. This is especially fun during battles, as it gets the adrenaline pumping. To further increase immersion, some of the most rugged and tactically appropriate weapons are provided, like the AK-47, AKS-74, VSS Vintorez, FN F-2000, MP-5 and LR-300. This choice of weapons is extremely consistent with the survival theme. By offering RIS rails, tactical weapons can be customised with grenade launchers, silencers and improved optics. There are also one off weapons hidden throughout the zone, which offer vast improvements over the base weapons and often commend a high resale price.

To suggest that gameplay can be difficult is a dramatic understatement. Although Strelok will do everything he is commanded to do with a sturdy, surefooted confidence (unlike the wooden and clumsy JC Denton in Deus EX), the enemies are very competent at engaging and will take cover before unleashing a torrent of bullets. A few well placed shots are enough to kill Strelok, and a serious injury will lead to profuse bleeding. If left untreated, profuse bleeding can kill Strelok very quickly, so it must be stopped by applying bandages or by using a medkit. Whilst spawning does occur in this game, it is by no means obvious. So long as you remain in the area which you have cleared, it generally stays clear. Factions of bandits will usually reclaim the area once you leave for another region, but engaging them on the way back is strictly optional. Overall, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R franchise offers a great gaming experience which has not been replicated since. I have found that the closest title of similar offerings is FEAR, but it is much more streamlined. The zone is such a diverse world that replay value is a virtual guarantee. If you still have hunter-gatherer instincts and enjoy a challenging and complex survival based shooter with realistic physics and a very effective horror element you won't find a better game.
  20. Dec 3, 2011
    I reviewed this game before and gave it a 5 which was unfair ( I was stuck in an underground and out of medkits ). So now I have beaten this game twice now and on my way to a third, I picked up the game again months later and had an easier time and now it is one of my fav games. It has a great and scary atmosphere and pants wetting undergrounds, good guns but they could use more. So this game was my least favorite to one of my favorite. Expand
  21. Aug 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've recently bought the game to try the series after I've heard good words about it from my friend. I went in expecting a Fallout style game(which i wasnt a huge fan of) and came almost as happy as a video game can make a person. This game has the obvious bugs like durability and nowhere to repair(but things take forever to die out), a mission you HAVE to complete to join duty has bugged out so I cant complete it(and freedom already has me on a shoot on sight list), and early game you should feel a bit rushed on the main mission. (AKA you have a shotgun while you are now facing enemies with medium level SMG's, you can still handle them). Artifacts are a little to prevelent and make, making money, very easy. BUT, there is greatness with this game. The story is compelling to continue with. You dont know who you are and your PDA tells you to kill and unknown man. You just want to beat all these "side" quests and find out what is actually at the center of the Zone. And find this Strelok character. Being able to use the artifacts is a great sub system too. Get that greater edge in running, use some Mama beads to prevent some bullet damage. Increase your health majorly but sacrifice some protection bonuses. The side quests do add some extra fun but going after completing a few quests you will probably have more then enough money for a while and you might accept them only for an exploration opprotunity. Expand
  22. Oct 14, 2011
    One of my favourite games of all time. Yes it's buggy, and horrendously difficult in some places as you die by tripping over a rock... and the enemies need nothing short of a tactical nuke to kill. But lovably so. Some great hair raising moments, and a good sense of "pphhew" at the end. Great game
  23. Dec 23, 2011
    The graphic for this game is not pretty good, but the way to play it is kind of unique: mix up RPG and shooting game at the same time. I keep looking for some new weapon and ammo, just like i want some better equipment in WOW. But the saving for this game (or the restart point) is kind of bad because the auto save wont save unless you are entering new place, which make me need to restart from a very far away place just because i forgot to quick save and the game wont restart as close as possible from where i dead. I guess that is what makes the game hard. Expand
  24. Feb 2, 2012
    I have play this game four times. It was so tempting game to play for hours. Varies large area to hunt, fight, and meet NPC to experience the horror scenes.
  25. Feb 26, 2012
    Simply a great and outstanding game. To this day (2/26/2012) I've not played any video game with such dense, dark, frightening atmosphere. Play it when it's dark, put your headphones on and get ready to **** your pants.
  26. Apr 3, 2012
    Gamers from Ukraine should be proud of this one. There is a bit of a learning curve at first, but this game has the perfect blend of realistic combat and survival horror. This is one of the first open-ended FPS games that I know of, so you can explore an open world and take on multiple tasks, preceding award-winning games like Fallout 3. It also features real-world locations, including the city of Pripyat, which was abandoned during the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, and the Chernobyl NPP (Nuclear Power Plant) itself. One can expect Counter-Strike style combat when fighting enemy factions, though there are mutants and even zombies to keep things interesting as well. You'll quickly learn that dashing into a crowd guns blazing is a death wish, even with the best armor. You can buy and sell weapons and equipment. There are Artifacts that you can collect that will enhance your abilities, such as running speed and how bulletproof you are. I won't give away any more spoilers - first time players will have to find out for themselves. Another cult classic in the gaming industry. If you haven't already played it, play it! Expand
  27. Apr 6, 2012
    In this game, the life going independent from player. And that's right shows the life situation, which was after the Soviet Union. I wasn't there often, but I can compare the game and the real life situation and architectural style. At least I see so.
  28. Jan 3, 2014
    Fav PC game but far from perfect, its so rough around the edges and it needs some help graphical mods like PRZ to bring it upto date IMO. However despite its flaws its a totally awesome free roam FPS game.
  29. Nov 26, 2012
    The STALKER series is one of my absolute favorite games series ever made. It is gritty, dark, realistic atmosphere, some of the best AI Ive seen, good graphics for its time, very fun guns, a terrific artifact collecting system that really just sets this game apart, and very importantly extremely interesting and fun missions with a great variety of endings. I died a little when they canceled STALKER 2. Anyone who scores this game low probably experiences a lot of bugs or crashing which I honestly did not find MANY of although there were a few and for a game this good they can be overlooked. Expand
  30. Aug 1, 2012
    First off i was impressed with this games atmosphere and realism. Technically the game is sound it has a solid frame rate and not many glitches. The physics are superb, bullets drop while in flight and npc's react realistically when killed by explosives. The sound is really a mixed bag, some weapons sound realistic while others sound like hitting an oil drum, suppressed weapons sound especially good. The mutants are new ideas and they're actually pretty scary. This games atmosphere is second to none, I am genuinely scared about what lurks behind a door in an underground lab i'm in. The plot i found was easy to follow but not to simple. Voice acting is pretty mediocre and most npc's don't even speak but instead have written dialogue. Though you don't have skill points or anything like that artifacts and armored suits improve your resistance to bullets,chemical's etc. Overall I'd say this game is one of my favorites, I'd even go as far as saying this game is the unsung hero of open world FPS's. It is definitely worth your money. Expand
  31. Jun 7, 2014
    Stalker SoC is what happens when you combine Operation Flashpoint and Metro 2033. It's hard to ask for anything more from this game because instead of making you want more, it makes you realize how backwards most of the gaming industry has gone (in 2014). It's a game that doesn't pander to casual types. Totally fierce experience with gunfights killing you in 2-3 hits, nights being crazy dark forcing you to rely on your weak flashlight and no, you don't get nightvision until MUCH later in the game. Monsters are ferocious, sneak on you and human enemies are dangerous and fun to fight. Hell, you can talk and trade with 97% of everybody you meet! The zone is a truly inhospitable place that forces you to think, explore, be careful and fight hard to survive. Play this game damnit! Expand
  32. Sep 11, 2012
    ''ATMOSPHERE'' There İs Nothing Much To Say.
  33. Sep 28, 2012
    S.t.a.l.k.e.r _soc is the fps I love most; it gave hours of fun mixed with fear, tension and adrenaline.There are bugs and some tweak to do before playing, but they are part of the experience hard to forget.Prepare to be hidden in the darkness of a basement with little ammunition, food and med-kits ... recommended!
  34. Jul 24, 2013
    The only game, even after years, that makes me come back for more and more. It's like a road trip to a place where one of the most catastrophic events took place. It's also like playing Counter-Strike in a huge world (With perfect precision as CS doesn't even have iron sights option). Even after finishing the game for 10 times, the next time I play there are times that I don't know what's around the corner. Expand
  35. Dec 2, 2012
    Probably one of my favourite games, this delivers on so many levels. First you have the intriguing and mysterious story that sits comfortably inside the remains of history so if a bit of research is completed than it can seem frighteningly realistic. The atmosphere of the game is amazing, some of if not the best I've encountered sitting up there with metro 2033 and Dark souls. The environments, chillingly eerie and oppressive cast a constant sense of danger and paranoia. The equipment and weapons have a realistic touch and the animations are consistently acceptable. The gun play itself is very fun with all the weapons feeling useful as ammo will need to be looted or found unless you want to pay for it. The length was impressive as well with my normal level playthrough clocking in at 15 hours, with me glossing over a lot of the extras.My only gripes would be the bugs which are able to be overlooked if weight of the positives, the way everything is explained isnt really there... at all and the need to look at a wiki to get the fullest experience can be required for some. Throw in fantastic mods and patches to eliminate bugs, enhance the graphics and a $20 usd pricetag on steam its worth it. Get out of here stalker! (and buy yourself this today!) Expand
  36. Dec 14, 2012
    First of all, this game needs mods to be playable (I suggest "Stalker Complete" and "Realistic Weapons" for starters, but there are others), but then it's one of the best games I've ever played. It has a relatively open world with characters and graphics/weather effects that perfectly support the incredible atmosphere. STALKER, get out of here and play this game!
  37. Mar 17, 2013
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is my favourite post Apocalyptic game because this game have really good climate
  38. Aug 1, 2013
    This is the best survival game out there and i wont here anyone else say otherwise. On higher difficulties, ammo, health, and other nessecities are hard to come by. You and your enemies die in one or two shots and when you're hit you'll bleed out and die unless you bandage yourself up. Weapons have realistic recoil (at least more realistic then some modern FPS's) and hitting enemies with older more worn guns can be a challenge. youll constantly be stashing supplies in hiding spots in the world and taking ammo and bandages from dead enemies. You actually feel like your trying to survive, and that's something a lot of games fail to do. The story isn't that exceptional but is interesting and being very interested in what happened at Chernobyl, this game's setting is amazing and original. I heard that this game was the Crysis of its day and it shows as the world is very detailed and graphics intensive for its time. The game does everything right and still holds up to this day. Expand
  39. Apr 16, 2013
    Great great great game! Absolutly loved it! It is different to others games (FPS). Don't start the game like you are gonna play a campaign of call of duty or you are gonna be upset to the most. Scary as hell at some place Lab x-16&x-17 made me change pants.

The game itself was very poorly optimised. Probably 1 of their 1st game. There is many guides to tweek the game and some
    patchs/mods that help the loading time, graphics, errors.

A most for everyone calling themselves a gamer.
  40. May 21, 2013
    All most a game related closely to Deus Ex.

Very nice game and the story is good, too.

The weapons are awesome and the graphics is decent.
    Overall, it is a game with different endings and realism, and I liked the ADS attachment.
  41. Dec 3, 2013
    This is probably one of the most amazing and extreme first person shooters i have ever played, yes it has its bugs and coding issues but once you patch the game and get everything up to speed, the game had me playing for hours and hours. so many different things and possibilitys you can explore and proceed in many different ways. Just has me playing and playing just because of the several ways you can play through it, and many different and interesting endings and gameplay route within it. Its sort of like Deus ex and BioShock so if your a fan of the Dues ex or BioShock i highly recommend this game. With the types of game play thats implemented in this game you'll just be blown away by the story and and environmental surrounding of this hostile world of Chernobyl! Expand
  42. Sep 30, 2013
    This stunning game was worth every penny I payed. I felt totally immersed in combat, scrounging, and just simply getting by. There are so many lifelike aspects of the game, which I rarely found in any other FPSes. Although some might say that the game is "notoriously buggy," I have never encountered a single crash, lag, or anything like that. The graphic styling is charmingly bleak, setting an apocalyptic and dark tone. Gameplay is astonishing, especially in a gunfight. Instead of just running and gunning, you need to actually engage in combat, maintain your health and ammo, and check flanks as diligently as you can. All in all, this game (for me) set a new standard in first-person shooters. It's worth your money and time, and you owe it to yourself to play this game. Expand
  43. Dec 6, 2013
    Very impressive and immersive FPS! Have not good graphics, but gameplay is awesome! I have finish it 10 times and all times was like different game! Buy it!
  44. Jun 10, 2014
    Pese a tener una gran cantidad de bug, problemas y ciertas caídas de calidad, S.T.A.L,K.E.R. es uno de mis juegos favoritos y uno de los pocos que me he pasado la saga entera y lo he rejugado. La historia, los guiños tanto a la película como al libro (picnic extraterrestre, que Metro es muy posterior al juego), el hecho de poder pasear por Chernobyl lo convierte es una experiencia muy especial. Además se trató de implementar programación por agentes para gestionar los animales del juego. Bajo mi punto de vista muy recomendable, pero tal vez soy muy fan. Expand
  45. Jul 13, 2014
    This game is a fps with a rpg element and takes place in the 'Zone' around Chernobyl where you have to do missions to get further in the story.

The opinion of this game is often black or white: many people love it while others hate it. In the beginning it took me also hours before I could understand the concept. I almost abandoned it before I started to like it. The graphics are ok but
    the atmosphere (e.g. weather, sounds, lighting in caves) is really good.

With Bioshock this is one of the best games of the past 10 year.
  46. Aug 29, 2014
    This is the kind of inspired game you can play two or three times and enjoy every journey as a different game. Probably one the five best games of the decade. very good story and screenplay, gorgeous graphics (especially with the Complete 2009 Mod), and an amazingly well balanced and smart AI. Hands down. Perhaps the only thing that could be better is... more Stalker games. The saga ended with Call of Pripyat and the studio was closed so.. is unlikely to happen. Expand

1. As a brave experiment in all-action shootery, STALKER has certainly succeeded, though with its dearth of personality and many peculiar foibles, you can't help but wish that the publishers had granted GSC some extra time to polish their creation. Oh, hang on a minute... [Apr 2007, p.56]
  2. It's a warped behemoth from the Ukraine, and one of the scariest games on the PC. Stalker will remind you of all kinds of prior games, and yet it will also defy your expectations. Like the mythological Chernobyl zone it is based upon, this game is a treacherous, darkly beautiful terrain. Not everyone is going to enjoy venturing into the zone, but some of those who do will find what they've been looking for.
  3. Littered with a variety of anomalies which can cause the unwary to explode and other delightful stuff, mutant doggies, deserted buildings, weather effects, real-time day/night cycles etc. etc. - it creates a deliciously unique atmosphere.