2.3

1. Apr 27, 2013
    the game is with lots of bugs, online not working and they think we will not notice the fake accounts boosting metacritic score ,so f you and hope you never develop another game in the future
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    This game is a hot mess. The voice acting doesn't make up for the uninspired combat, broken coop, and terrible A.I. controlling the teammate.

Are devs and PR people really trying to boost metacritic scores?
  3. Apr 25, 2013
    Stay clear away from this game. It is a scam, this is a co-op game but doesn't have co-op capabilities... the devs have been caught on steam forums praising the game. Somehow on release day they have 158hrs played and achievements going back to January. Google for yourself, Kenneth Lindenbaum busted for writing fake reviews on metacritic and steam pretending to be a user.
  4. Apr 25, 2013
    It's been so long since I reviewed a game and gave it a higher score then 5... Bioshock Infinite was my last 9.... why are so many games so these days. This game... is borderline broken... invisbile ledges, you can walk through characters, invisible walls, coop is broken, the devs are trying to mask up this up using metacritic to boost their score amung other things.... holy... holy IIt's been so long since I reviewed a game and gave it a higher score then 5... Bioshock Infinite was my last 9.... why are so many games so these days. This game... is borderline broken... invisbile ledges, you can walk through characters, invisible walls, coop is broken, the devs are trying to mask up this up using metacritic to boost their score amung other things.... holy... holy I can't stop laughing... I'm having trouble breathing so sorry for the misspelling but I'm laughing so hard as I write this... 0/10 because the Devloper team is abunch of idiots. Denying that COOP isn't broken and other crap. Movie based title game... what the hell did I expect... Gold? Expand
  5. Apr 25, 2013
    I'm so appalled by this I'm finding it difficult to write a proper review. Over the shoulder, cover based, shooter means this game equals Gears of Trek except for the fact that the shooting mechanics are absolutely atrocious and the A.I. is possibly some of the dumbest seen since Aliens Colonial Marines (ok, maybe not THAT bad but close). I've read lots of people trying to compare the gameI'm so appalled by this I'm finding it difficult to write a proper review. Over the shoulder, cover based, shooter means this game equals Gears of Trek except for the fact that the shooting mechanics are absolutely atrocious and the A.I. is possibly some of the dumbest seen since Aliens Colonial Marines (ok, maybe not THAT bad but close). I've read lots of people trying to compare the game to Mass Effect. I suppose that comparison would be valid except, unlike Mass Effect, this game lacks a compelling narrative, character dialog, deep environment interactions, and RPG elements.

The story, so far, has been trite. Nothing more than a poor excuse to push players along to each scripted area of waist high walls and explosions. The cover mechanics are nearly as broken as the shooting mechanics and while the non-lethal takedowns are a great addition, most players will just forget about them and kill everything.

Graphically, the fact that this is a shoddy port of the console versions is clear from the start. The graphics themselves look decidedly dated even at high resolutions. The rendering of Chris Pine as Kirk is decent but Zachary Quinto as Spock? Let's just say the game's rendition of Spock looks as though he is a Vulcan with Down's Syndrome. Meanwhile, textures glitch out and low resolution textures are covered by bloom. Gameplay bugs are all over the place abound while coop (a major selling point) is broken. The fact that the devs themselves have been caught trying to inflate the score should be quite telling.

This is a far, far cry from Roddenberry's Star Trek, which, despite its cheesiness, always had an undercurrent of moral and/or philosophical discussion. This, much like J.J. Abrams' reboot, is just a bombastic show of special effects that doesn't even try to engage the viewer/player. I'm sad I wasted my time with this title.
  6. Apr 25, 2013
    Complete crap! Their company employees are posting (inlcuidng kenneth lead dev) and giving 10 reviews pretty dirty and it didnt have CO OP working at release blaming steam...BS
  7. Apr 24, 2013
    Another game released with enough bugs to make you suspect, that you're playing an alpha build.
    On top of this the major sellpoint of the game, the co-op doesn't work at launch.
    According to the game developers it's a small problem that only a few people are experiencing, but so far i have not found a single person who got it working, except the game's senior producer posting on steam that it works fine.
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    This game is full of bugs, I don't understand how a company like namco can put out such shoddy games? I will think twice about buying in the future :0
  9. Apr 24, 2013
    Pros: The voice acting. Pine and Quinto do a good job. Some of the minor characters feel like they're phoning it in, but the two leads are most important and they did a great job.

It feels like Trek. The ability to choose non-lethal combat in appropriate scenarios is a great choice. Phasers have a 'stun' settings for a reason! The tricorder is well designed and very useful, though it almost falls into Batman Arkham Asylum territory because you want to keep it on at almost all times to find objects you can interact with, but that means you can't have your weapon out. (Why not tricorder in one hand, phaser in the other?)

The story is serviceable. Nothing amazing, but not bad. This could easily be the plot of an episode of a new Trek TV series.

The Enterprise looks great. I didn't like the design of the new 1701 at first, but it's growing on me, and it looks as it should in this game.

Cons: The shooting controls are awful. Shooting anything at close range is near impossible because you wind up shooting behind the target that's right in front of you. Wonky perspective.

The cover mechanics only work when they want to. I keep wishing they had been able to copy the Mass Effect controls and cover mechanic, but this feels like a really cheap imitation of that.

The game can devolve into a cluster**** when you're in combat shooting and being shot at (while wrestling with the controls), trying to listen to someone give you critical information while everything is exploding, and there are prompts telling you new interactions all at the same time. Often times, one of those things will be missed and you'll die. One time it got to the point where the best way to advance was to just run head first into danger and get to the other side before I died instead of listening to the hints/prompts.

Overall, this game is good at times, but not often enough. It goes from slightly fun to immensely frustrating like a never-ending rollercoaster. Absolutely not worth full retail price.
  10. Apr 25, 2013
    I am changing my review from 6 to a 2! I only played a couple of levels and it didn't seem to bad, but now I have spent more time with it; I hate it with a passion! there is game breaking bugs, completely dumb A.I (I told kirk to go somewhere and he just ran against a wall until I reset checkpoint) boring hacking and rubbish story!
  11. Apr 24, 2013
    Simple the co-op for PC does not work, so do not buy.Simple the co-op for PC does not work, so do not buy.
  12. Apr 30, 2013
    Initially there was a bug that prevented many of us who bought this game on Steam to play it cooperatively, but after three days, Valve finally released a patch and so now I am updating my review. Generally speaking, "Star Trek the Video Game" was a fun title to play with a friend, but it is far too short (~10 hours) to warrant its $50 price tag.

I understand the comparisons made to

I understand the comparisons made to franchises like "Mass Effect" (e.g. cover-based, over-the-shoulder, third-person combat, smartly concealing their loading screens within elevator rides), but I think the game has enough variety to describe it as a compilation of elements from several titles. Most things were derivative in nature, except for the complementary design of the co-op system. During missions, there are instances where each player has their own distinct tasks to perform, and these moments were more akin to co-op titles like "Hunted: The Demon Forge", where the game requires collaboration to complete tasks. I bought this game intending to play it with a friend, so I will limit my comments to the co-op adventure, although my experience with similar games usually includes frustration with the AI partners during solo play.

Some of the "puzzles" that required players to navigate the environment were inspired, and we really didn't experience the number of bugs being described in other reviews, so perhaps some of these were fixed in a subsequent patch. Placing the events of the game before the second movie would seem to provide more opportunities for creativity, as opposed to merely animating what audiences viewed in theaters, and I felt this was a better way of using a video game to advertise a movie. The overall story arc was fine, but it just needed more fleshing out; a game at this price should be at least 30 hours or more, and it really should be well-polished. Neither of these are true, and so I agree with many of the criticisms that have been levied on this title. If the game had been priced at under $30, and we had been able to play it on release day, I probably would have had more positive things to state.

More specifically, the lip-syncing was slightly off at times, probably due to fewer muscles being simulated in the face (compared to titles from Bioware). Including the voices of the actual movie cast was certainly a plus, but the voice direction could have been a bit sharper. Some characters were well-rendered, while others (like Chekov) looked acceptable during distant cut scenes, but up-close seemed as if they had contracted some unknown illness. A couple of the checkpoints were set at moments where the characters had a lot of dialogue, so if your team needed to repeat a task, you both had to endure the several minutes of dialogue and movement to retry the event.

Now that the co-op experience is functional, I don't think it is fair to give this game a score of zero. If you wait for the price to come down below $30, and have someone you enjoy playing co-op games in mind, I think you'll enjoy "Star Trek the Video Game". Again, I'd list it with titles like "Hunted: The Demon Forge", "Lord of the Rings: War in the North", or "Transformers: The War for Cybertron" when trying to rate the fun of the co-op experience. None of these games are perfect, but these days there are few high-quality games that focus on a lengthy co-op campaign, and I wish that would change. The game is notably short, but I suppose the players could switch characters and try different strategies (e.g. stealth), assume alternate roles in hacking puzzles, and vary the choice of weapons and upgrades to make a second play-through almost as interesting.
  13. Apr 23, 2013
    Being a poorly done console port as well as a movie tie-in game isn't the issue which merits the game getting a poor score, it is the complete and total lack of working Online Co-op for the PC version that makes the game pointless and a waste of money. With so much emphasis placed on the Co-op component of the game, you'd think that would be the one feature they'd get right!Being a poorly done console port as well as a movie tie-in game isn't the issue which merits the game getting a poor score, it is the complete and total lack of working Online Co-op for the PC version that makes the game pointless and a waste of money. With so much emphasis placed on the Co-op component of the game, you'd think that would be the one feature they'd get right! Unfortunately the lack of working online, lack of polish, massive bugs, and dated visuals make it the total failure package it was sadly always assumed and destine to be. Expand
  14. Apr 27, 2013
    The story is cool. The rest of the game stinks. The mechanics and AI are awful. Buttons don't work (dodge/cover) and your second toon gets lost all the time. This is the worst game I've played in a long time and I've been playing games for a long time. I hope the movie is better than this. Just bad. I can't believe I paid for this game. DO NOT PAY anymore than $20 for this title.The story is cool. The rest of the game stinks. The mechanics and AI are awful. Buttons don't work (dodge/cover) and your second toon gets lost all the time. This is the worst game I've played in a long time and I've been playing games for a long time. I hope the movie is better than this. Just bad. I can't believe I paid for this game. DO NOT PAY anymore than $20 for this title. Namco, stop trying to ruin the Trek universe. Expand
  15. Apr 26, 2013
    I've just sat on the bog n pushed out a giant turd!...... So I thought since I produced it I would give it a 10 out of freaking 10!!!!!

I cant believe people would review their own s*it how utterly embarrassing!
  16. Apr 26, 2013
    Ok first off Im just gonna say that this game is the biggest piece of utter garbage that I have played. I preordered the PC version for myself and bought the PS3 version for my girlfriend and it was the biggest waste of $100 EVER! After numerous attempts at trying to get co-op to work at launch and other crappy and annoying bugs, horrible and non-entertaining combat, and a half-assedOk first off Im just gonna say that this game is the biggest piece of utter garbage that I have played. I preordered the PC version for myself and bought the PS3 version for my girlfriend and it was the biggest waste of $100 EVER! After numerous attempts at trying to get co-op to work at launch and other crappy and annoying bugs, horrible and non-entertaining combat, and a half-assed attempt with the A.I for your teammate, this is just an utter joke of a game that is tarnishing a great series. Needless to say I was able to get my money back due to me knowing a few people and was able to return them. Expand
  17. Jan 23, 2014
    This video game was so great it felt like it was stealing my virginity. Playing through the levels gave me constant waves of orgasms. Kirk and Spock's voice acting was so great it pierced my rectum. I wish i could give it a higher score.
  18. Apr 26, 2013
    All fake accounts and developers rate the game 10 or 8 out of 10. Now if you rate your own game a 10 out of 10 just because you made it while no one else is able to play the co op and the game is just pure why even bother making it? I hope, from the ground of my heart, that Namco Bandai games goes bankrupt. Shame on all of you over at Bandai.
  19. Jun 8, 2013
    lol you have to fight walking lizard men need i say more ok i will this game makes my turds look good.The terrible ai the lack luster combat and the multitude of bugs makes for a very very poor game indeed.
  20. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is a cheap Mass Effect copy, they didn`t even bothered to change the font and the UI style. The voice acting is horrible ,the lip sync is almost nonexistent and the animations are so bad that the characters snap in a predetermined location. This game is broken ugly and unresponsive.
  21. Apr 25, 2013
    The game as of 25/04 is buggy as hell. The developer is conducting a shady PR campaign, denying that ALL of the users are having co-op problems and instead of owning their mistake they post messages with fake accounts on the steam user forums and here at metacritic. Please, for the sake of all gamers out there stay away from this game so the developers in the future know that releasing anThe game as of 25/04 is buggy as hell. The developer is conducting a shady PR campaign, denying that ALL of the users are having co-op problems and instead of owning their mistake they post messages with fake accounts on the steam user forums and here at metacritic. Please, for the sake of all gamers out there stay away from this game so the developers in the future know that releasing an unfinished product and charging a full price for it is unacceptable. Expand
  22. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is broken, coop doesn't work and the amount of bugs is just insane. Until they've fixed the major issues do not waste your money and time on this mess. The devs need to get their together.
  23. Apr 25, 2013
    The Devs/Publisher knew this game was a turd and thought they were being clever by not sending out review copies and posting up fake Metacritic reviews. It appears to have backfired, and hopefully this news will spread throughout the gaming world.

This game is bad. The animations are really bad. The graphics are not great. The voice acting is okay. But most importantly it just has

This game is bad.
    The animations are really bad.
    The graphics are not great.
    The voice acting is okay.
    But most importantly it just has terrible gameplay and loads of bugs and non-functional co-op.

Don't buy this. Don't rent this. Send the people that made this hate mail for assuming that everyone is stupid
  24. Apr 25, 2013
    Horrible game and a very shady Business practice
    why make a co-op mode if it doesn't work at launch, I just don't know what they were thinking, this is almost a skam
  25. Apr 25, 2013
    coop is broken

BOT AI is broken

game itself is broken so wtf we play??

And look at all these fake reviews, and i found one guy that said coop works and when i saw his profile he had played the game since january Wtf?? Is this the game creator?

Stay away from buying this game
  26. Apr 25, 2013
    reminds me of War Z... and thats obviously not a good thing.. just watch angry joes video.. he tells you everything you need to know about it.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7r9m9vYNA
  27. Apr 25, 2013
    Lots of bugs, no working co-op.

Why do PR think we are idiots, boosting this game score makes the company name even look worse for future games.

Way to go lol.
  28. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is atrocious. It's a cash grab of the lowest caliber, and doesn't work online. The developers for this game are trying to inflate scores: do not listen to the inflated 10's. "Kenneth Lindenbaum", the senior producer for the game, is posting on steam forums pretending he's a user and all is good.

All of the devs for this game are scumbags, do not be fooled. The game is buggy

All of the devs for this game are scumbags, do not be fooled. The game is buggy and atrocious. Look up "Angry Joe" review star trek.

Glitches:
    -Giant models
    -Glitched models
    -Broken Online
    -Broken AI
    -Hundreds more
  29. Apr 25, 2013
    this game is a bad joke. there are numerous ridiculous glitches and the coop mode does not work, too. don't buy this crap and don't fall for the fake reviews with high scores.

for god's sake: don't buy this game!
  30. Apr 25, 2013
    WarZ in space. From down right lying from the developers, to fake metacritic scores, this game is yet another example of bad business in the industry. Sad to see one of my favorite television show's name used on such a bad game made by bad businessmen.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Star Trek is a game with a lot of potential. None of which is being used. The game design is old, incomplete and riddled with bugs. The actors make a decent job and the co-op mode is alright but that is the only good things worth mentioning about this otherwise bland and forgettable tie-in to the movie.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    A by-the-numbers cover shooter punctuated by mind-numbing hacking minigames and woeful space combat. [July 2013, p.92]
  3. Jun 13, 2013
    Star Trek isn't as bad as they say, although the game has more than it's share of problems. The story is nice, but the game itself is filled with stupidities. For a duo of trekkies this game offers ADHD thrill ride for a weekend. If Star Trek doesn't get your juices flowing, you better steer clear. [June 2013[