8.9

1. May 26, 2013
    Season 8 provides a couple weeks of new, well-made missions introducing the Romulans and allowing Klingons to begin at level 1 instead of 20 something. You can tell there was an influx of new employees.

The cons: This update has exposed server issues, code integration problems, and quality testing shortcomings. The downtime, glitches, crashes, and a stealth nerf or two have
    overshadowed what should have been a proud moment.

If I grade on the quality of the new story content, two weeks worth perhaps, I'd give it an 8 or so.
    The experience as a whole has thus far been a 4 due to the technical difficulties and the mail nerf.

The new missions will be used up, the bugs will be mostly squashed, and then you will be back to the
    normal grinding of end-game reputation systems and starbase advancement which most people score around a 5 or 6. Folks that make use of the Foundry, fan-made missions, tend to give the game a higher score of 7 or 8.

If all other issues are resolved favorably, and I am grading only on the new content introduced I will stick with the 8 rating. It made my Klingon happy. This was a step in a good direction compared to the previous season I rated a 3 due to nerf carnage and greedy practices.
  2. May 31, 2013
    great expansion, game is definitely on the right track with this one. problem is, way too many bugs and server issues. if most of the issues get fixed within a couple weeks, as i am hoping, an 8/10 represents a fun online game accessible to many kinds of players.

since its f2p i highly recommend a download, try it out. good combo of ground and space combat unlike many other sci-fi
    online games. the first time i tried this game a year or 2 ago, the world seemed very limiting, but with time it has become much more fleshed out.

if youre any kind of fan of sci fi online games or star trek in general, try this game
  3. Nov 29, 2013
    I had very little chance to play this game before the Legacy of Romulus expansion was released so there's not much I can say as far as improvement from previous installments. One thing I can say though is that you can definitely notice hey put more work into the storyline as the new Romulan campaign show better characters and a more engaging storyline than the original one.

However
    where this game really outstands is when it comes to starship related stuff. You'll have access to a very wide range of ships to select from if you play as a Klingon or Federation and a fairly good one if you play as a Romulan and then you can customise various things in terms of looks, especially if you play federation, and pretty much everything in terms of equipment for all factions. They're divided into escorts (tactical/damage), cruisers (engineering/armor) and science ships (shields/special abilities) You'll also have access to a lot of the classic starships from the movies and series like the Intrepid Class, K7 battlecruiser and D'deridex warbird but also completely new ships which in my opinion, seem as logical additions to each factions fleet for the most part. It's one of the best games out there when it comes to space battles, although you will not get into dogfights. This feels more like naval battles in space which makes for really tactical and demanding battles as you'll need to watch your shilds, hull, ship's systems and also try to position yourself in the best possible way to get your weapons in range and angle. I think this part of the game is very well accomplished and actually captures the essence of space combat in the Series and the movies.

Ground combat on the other hand is not as engaging, it has the feel of an unpolished third person shooter, although improvements are being made, but at least it's a welcome change of pace now and then. The only other downside, which perhaps will only matter to hardcore Star Trek fans is that science, exploration and diplomatic missions feel somewhat incomplete, as players's choices are not really meaningful or have important effect most of the time.

Character building is also good, you can play with a lot of the classic species or create a new one. There's not much of a choice when it comes to classes, there's only tactical, science and engineering officer, but different races' traits also add to your abilities. Also, your character's class will not affect your ship selection options, you can be a science officer and fly a tactical escort.

Bottomline: I'd highly recommend it for any fan of sci-fi games regardless if you like Star Trek or not. It does have issues like I said, but in my opinion it's strong points are much more. Specially space combat, you can't go wrong with that
  4. Jul 26, 2013
    This is a very addicting game if you're a Star Trek fan. The way the whole game is set up is perfect. There is a ton of things to do and making in-game money is very easy as long as you frequent the Exchange and sell things you don't need in there. I would like to see a little bit more incite on the part of Perfect World in regards to their handling of the game server... as there has been some penny pinching going on serverside. That is really the only complaint I have though. Expand
  5. May 14, 2014
    I love Star Trek: Online! The graphics are good, music is good, the missions are a lot of fun, and even the thrill of having my own ship and being it's captain is enough to keep me hooked on STO.

I highly recommend it to anyone.
  6. Jun 10, 2014
    Legacy of Romulus took the game to a whole new level. Great storyline, cool new faction, really refreshed everything. Dev is fixing the bugs continuously while putting out additional content (not just new ships). Other MMOs like Mechwarrior Online should take a page from Cryptics playbook.
  7. Dec 9, 2013
    Admittedly, this is what I hope for in an MMO. The ability to see a new race introduced into the works, allowing for a bit of a shift in power but not so much that it's overwhelming.

The only real problems I see are from how certain weapons are kinda not as powerful as first stated, but that's a little bit of a different issue. Some like it, some hate it, but it's Star Trek so at the
    end of the day, it's something people will still want to play. Expand
  8. Aug 14, 2014
    Only MMORPG i actualy managed to get into. You'll like it if you like star trek stuff. It also has one of the best f2p models i've ever seen. Its being updated regularly and there is new content every few months. Lots of people playing it too. Only thing i dont like much is ground combat, but im still giving it 10 for being my fav MMORPG. :D
  9. Aug 29, 2014
    I really enjoy this game, excellent world graphics, great great story line.

Downsides, people don't socialize very much. and Some bugs need to be fixed. Other than that, I love the game so much that I am a gold member.

1. May 12, 2014
    Legacy of Romulus is a welcome expansion to Star Trek Online. With a totally original story, a new faction, new ships and the option to start as any faction, STO has been improved significantly.
  2. Apr 18, 2014
    Legacy of Romulus is an excellent example of expanded content, and combining it with 7 “seasons” worth of additions and tweaks, great storytelling and an engine that has proved it can stand test of time means it’s only fair to readdress that original score, and critique this all over again as a complete package.
    In spite of all the criticism, Legacy of Romulus is a step in the right direction for Star Trek Online. It's just a very short one.