Star Trek Online PC

6.2

1. dd
    Feb 24, 2010
    I would echo the thoughts of charlie as STO is a great take on the Star Trek universe. Incredible for fans of ST and of all Sci-fi. Difference of space combat vs ground is nice. PvP, PvE, etc. all welcome. However, Cryptic must devote some amount of time continuing to develop this title as it does suffer from some shallow aspects and some general bugs and unfinished areas. That said, as a I would echo the thoughts of charlie as STO is a great take on the Star Trek universe. Incredible for fans of ST and of all Sci-fi. Difference of space combat vs ground is nice. PvP, PvE, etc. all welcome. However, Cryptic must devote some amount of time continuing to develop this title as it does suffer from some shallow aspects and some general bugs and unfinished areas. That said, as a fan of the series and of sci-fi MMOs in general, this is a genre that is sorely needed with the glut of WoW and DnD clones perpetually on the market. As it stands, I give it an 8 for a classic theme, sci-fi bent of RPG, and quality of play and variety. If cryptic fully supports this game and continues to release content and upgrades, it could definitely move into the 10 range for me. I will be playing and hanging around to see if that happens. No more swords and sorcery for me for a while! Expand
  2. DekanD
    Feb 18, 2010
    I believe most people agree that the space combat components are the best part of this game (other than the eye candy that is the spacely environment). I myself found the ground combat interesting and it's refreshing to not have to be dependant on other players to accomplish group missions. It's nice to be able to either play with your friends or make your own away team, so I believe most people agree that the space combat components are the best part of this game (other than the eye candy that is the spacely environment). I myself found the ground combat interesting and it's refreshing to not have to be dependant on other players to accomplish group missions. It's nice to be able to either play with your friends or make your own away team, so regardless of your situation you have the basic components to almost every MMO. I also find that gearing up two different Avatars is an addictive concept. Gear is easy enough to get and progresses at a rate similar to leveling. The big down side to this game is the extremely predictable quest line. It has a very elementary feel to it. Expand
  3. Jul 20, 2013
    I joined this game only after it's transition to the Free-to-play model and am basing my review off of that experience.

For a free-to-play MMO, this game is well above average. The production values, music, and what little voice acting there is, is excellent quality. The game feels quite polished, and for a starship junkie like me, the ships all look fantastic. The main quest chain is gripping and enjoyable, and makes leveling a breeze; a good balance of investment and reward as you level a character.

The lifetime subscription to this game is quite a bargain at $200 USD, which equates to about 13 months of game time of a typical $15/month MMO, and will unlock everything that f2p players cannot access without microtransaction.

In contrast to other free-to-play MMOs, the microtransactions in this game are kept to a minimum; all purchases made from the Cash shop are entirely cosmetic, having little to no impact on actual gameplay, and are not necessary in any situation to progress your character. In addition, an in-game currency called Dilithium can be converted in large amounts to cash shop credit, offering a cheaper alternative for those who don't wish to spend cash, but spend a lot of time playing.

The space combat in this game is excellent. You have direct control over your ship and it's stations, with everything being laid out in front of you, and basic starship command is very intuitive. The controls are tight and concise, and is easily my favorite part about my STO experience.

Ground combat is another story, however. On the ground, your skills are wildly different from that in space (of course), and your efficiency on the ground will be defined entirely by your away team (your group of starship officers that follow you to the ground). Ground combat is wildly more difficult than space combat, with much more focus on movement, equipment, environmental hazards, and multiple groups of powerful enemies. Coupled with the rather basic shoot-em-up feel of mashing your weapon attack, ground missions will wear out their welcome to most.

The game's loose storyline and setting stays very true to old canon, commonly alluding to the stories and experiences of James Kirk, Jean Luc Picard, and even Kathryn Janeway in their respective series as you explore the galaxy.

Exploration itself, however, is somewhat lacking. For a world as open as this one, the experiences you'll have among sectors and it's planets is mostly predictable and simple. Almost all missions consist of no more than destroying some ships, or scanning some structures. While an over-arcing story helps break the monotony or tie things together, most open-world encounters have no larger plot or worthwhile reward for time invested, making them more akin to little mini-episodes and slightly less gripping as a result.

If you're one for playing solo, you will quickly discover that upon reaching level cap and completing the official episodes, you will have very little to do. In comparison to other MMOs, the amount of group content is scant at best, and repeating the same few group events dozens of times may quickly wear thin. I personally suggest you play this game with friends, or join a role-playing fleet (guild) to keep entertained and break the monotony of grinding the same few events all day every day.

All MMOs have some grind in them; STO's problem is that there is no variety on what you can grind. If you want to be a Borg-slayer and join that NPC faction, you'll be running 5 of the same events for months. If you want to assist the Romulans, you'll have a lifetime of ground missions (primarily babysitting and kill-quests) to run around doing.

However I can't be too harsh. For a free-to-play, this game is definitely better than most. It's enjoyable moreso with friends well polished, and a great game for Star Trek fans who've always wanted to run around inside their ships, or sit at the helm and fight among the stars.

I find the game very high quality, personally, but the community is among the ugliest I've seen in any MMO to date. Every online game has it's elitists, it's dev-haters, and stop-having-fun crowd, but STO's community seems to house of the most intense of all of these. You can bet any "problems" with the game will be loudly vocalized, and when the servers are brought down to repair said problem, you can expect to see an equal amount of hatred directed towards the developers for the unstable servers.

Community can be filtered out, however, and basing my score solely off what I get from the game, I can rest with an 8.
  4. Apr 24, 2013
    Solid Game, Free to play, and full level up without paying anything. Fleets, VERY good story missions. Ground and Space Combat, Crafting, Character Creator, Looting, everything in it what it needs.

And the best part, Prime-Timeline. The original Star Trek, as i love it. It has bugs, and the controls could be better. The support is not bad. Graphics are decent. I really enjoy this

I really enjoy this game still, after 2 years of playing it.
  5. Sep 21, 2014
    STO isn't perfect, but it has really come a long way since launch is is one of my all time favorite games. Two of my favorite features:

1) completely free to play: you can play every single mission in the game for free, and new expansions are also free. Not only that, but you can even get any item you want from the game store for free by trading in game currency for game store currency with other players.

2) unlimited content: STO has a system called the foundry that lets players create their own missions and share them with other players. This means I have a brand new mission that I have never played before to look forward to every single time I log in. I will never run out of new missions to do, which is wild.

But hey, don't take my word for it. The game is free to play, so try it yourself and thank me later =P
  6. MaggieP
    Feb 3, 2010
    First impression; The game is really complicated. I am, however, really enjoying it. I find that I am able to fill my inventory with unknown objects, quest, and read tutorials, in very tolerable doses. I've only been playing for a few days, but so far so good.
  7. RyanD
    Feb 8, 2010
    Star Trek Online is a blast to play from the very start. You'll command your own starship within an hour. You will be blasting Borg, Klingons, and Orions left and right. Strange new worlds and familiar sights await you. This game is very faithful to Star Trek canon. All series and all movies but Star Trek 5 are accounted for. (ST 5 is an abomination) Some downsides: The game is very Star Trek Online is a blast to play from the very start. You'll command your own starship within an hour. You will be blasting Borg, Klingons, and Orions left and right. Strange new worlds and familiar sights await you. This game is very faithful to Star Trek canon. All series and all movies but Star Trek 5 are accounted for. (ST 5 is an abomination) Some downsides: The game is very buggy when it comes to ground combat on stations but not planets. Currently the Cardassian and Romulan factions are not playable since they are being held until an expansion comes out. Still, this is a game every Trek fan should check out. Tribbles included. Expand
  8. BrianR
    Feb 11, 2010
    If I haven't played them all I've played many of the more interesting MMOs out there. Eve Online, Star Wars Galaxies and Lord of the Rings Online all rank in time I've spent living there. For a roleplayer, like me, a game's about living an experience as much as gaming the mechanics. Star Trek Online definitely ranks up with Lord of The Rings Online in an attempt to If I haven't played them all I've played many of the more interesting MMOs out there. Eve Online, Star Wars Galaxies and Lord of the Rings Online all rank in time I've spent living there. For a roleplayer, like me, a game's about living an experience as much as gaming the mechanics. Star Trek Online definitely ranks up with Lord of The Rings Online in an attempt to capture the feel the setting and, more, it incorporates some unique gameplay elements to that end. Space combat feels much like a more simplified but fun, action packed, version of Star Trek games like Starfleet Command. Ground combat has the potential to be tactically interesting as you groom your bridge crew/away team in skills they'll need to help you succeed. There's more than a little X-Com-like attachment to your guys and, well, even more because they can be customized in name and appearance and possess four unique traits beyond skills alone that define their abilities. There's exploration in several clusters that offer a small variety of randomized mission types in a large variety of different graphical environments. More needs to be done here but for daily, pick up n' play, content no MMO comes close to being this entertaining as it is for casual gamers. There's already a big roleplaying community and the influx of dedicated Trekkers certainly helps. While we have ship bridges they're largely non-functional breakrooms and hangouts. There is no bridgeview combat or travel yet and certainly it seems hard to imagine multiplayer ships will be in soon. For those so inclined there is PvP, including a barebones Klingon faction, and one minor Raid instance. In the next update the Klingons are going to get much more PvE and more Raid will be introduced. A continuing sticking point is the sheer amount of combat in the game. While this fits Cryptic's vision of a Federation at war it's not necessarily the kind of Federation many Star Trek fans are comfortable with. The developers have indicated they're definitely expanding on the non-combat aspects and this will be focused into the Exploration/Genesis content. Overall, I'm having a ball and I've been here since Open Beta. Get with some friends that love the setting as much as you do and you'll have fun. STO's not perfect yet but there's room for growth in so many directions and no great flaws that will keep it from getting better with time. Expand
  9. Mar 5, 2012
    I don't play MMO's but I am a Star Trek fan. When Online went free to play, I decided it was time to check it out. The first thing I noticed was how easily I fell into the world. The development team does an excellent job of convincing you you're in the universe. The introductions and segues by Spock are helpful. As far as being a quality experience for free, your experience is prettyI don't play MMO's but I am a Star Trek fan. When Online went free to play, I decided it was time to check it out. The first thing I noticed was how easily I fell into the world. The development team does an excellent job of convincing you you're in the universe. The introductions and segues by Spock are helpful. As far as being a quality experience for free, your experience is pretty amazing for no cost save some space on your computer. The difficulty can be variable and so can the quality of some of the missions, but the story missions are pretty engaging and well though out. The highlight is the foundry, in which fans create awesome missions that occasionally rival those of the STO team. It's a quality experience, but can occasionally become repetitive or feel limiting based upon "classes". If you're a Star Trek fan, do yourself a favor and give it an hour. You'll be hooked in for the next week, at least. Expand
  10. Jan 3, 2012
    I have fallen in love with this game, though she is not perfect, what game is. I am a Science Fiction fan, not just a Trekkie, just wanted to throw that info out there. By far, the greatest thing this game has going for it, is great space combat. The Graphics are great, with many beautifully built space and ground zones, well above many other popular MMOs.
    Character customization, the
    Character customization, the level of detail you can go into with just creating your character was daunting at first, but once i got a handle on the vast number of slide bar settings, you would be squeal with glee at how precise you can replicate some of your favorite actors/family/whoever, with this character creator. Huge number ships available also, with many very degrees of customization available. The Foundry. Have you ever wanted to make your missions and raids in one of your favorite games? In STO, you can. Some of the Player Created content/missions I have played, you would think it should have been on the television, being advertised for "Next Weeks Episode of Star Trek" they are so well made and written.
    Now a few bad parts.
    The Foundry. What?!?! I just said it was great thing right? It is, but... Since it was introduced there has been little to no improvements made to it. There seems to be little Developer support keeping it running right, as the Foundry system itself was actually made as a Cryptic Developers tool for their upcoming Neverwinter game, and them bringing it to STO was really more of a testing of the system.
    The Graphics. What?!? I said the graphics are great? They are, but not so if unless you have a very up to date computer to play with. Otherwise you have to reduce your graphic setting and don't get to enjoy just how beautiful this game is.
    The Klingon faction. Often refered to as "that other faction", has been, until very recently, severely neglected. As a consequence, only about 20% of the player base play on the Klingon side. The brighter side of the sad story is that small player percentage is extremely loyal to their Klingon characters, and they really enjoy being at least partially "in character" all the time, which deeply helps with the immersion factor. Another not so good thing that happened for/to the Klingons, was the recent release of 10 new ships to be flown. Good! Except they are all Game Store ships that require purchase. Another thing wrong, is the lacking of costume options for the Klingons. While the Federation players enjoy about 20 Game store purchasable costume options, on top of a large number of free ones, The Klingons have 1, and only a few free costume options. The Federation characters can show the personal body armors that they are wearing, Klingons can not.
    (see how I went on about the Klingon faction? I told you we were a loyal bunch)
    There are some persistant game bugs, but most games have those, and nothing especially game breaking, except for one bug that is currently effecting Klingon progress.
    Star Trek Online is going free to play on January 17th, I certainly hope you will at least come and take a look, and judge for yourself.
  11. Jul 22, 2012
    I've play this game a long time. I like this game and I can't say it have any mis take. This game is good change from games like Battlestar Galactica online. It's not same and this is a reason why is it so good. I'm not so good at speech so I don't have any ideas what I can say. Finaly: This game is awesome and I would to invite everyone who like Star Trek or "space ships games".
  12. Apr 28, 2016
    I rather like Star Trek Online (STO). It’s one of my favorite games—and I literally had no interest in the game initially. It started on a gaming weekend when my friend and I were trying to find co-op games to play.

Co-op STO has decent co-op mission play where you can play STFs, and most episodes, and missions with co-op. Ever-expanding Storyline Content The storyline in STO

Co-op

Ever-expanding Storyline Content

The storyline in STO is constantly expanding. I really enjoy the new content as it makes the game come alive for me. The voice actors from the Star Trek screen actors is a real plus. Of course the content is also player driven as well with the Foundry.

Short game/long game/mini-game

I like how STO mixes up what you can do given the time you have. For example, if you don’t have time to do an episode, you can join the space queue (Special Task Force/STF)and fight the enemy together for a 5-25 minute fight. And there are a variety of mini-game things you can do, if you can only log in for five minutes and play—crafting, mining, admiralty, doff missions, buying and selling on the exchange and more.

Appeals to the math geek in me

I like to measure DPS with the ACT DPS parser and see how I’ve progressed by increasing my DPS with new spaceship items and configurations.

Fleets

Like guilds in many other games, STO has fleets where you can interact and grow with other players.

Personally tired of “magical MMOs”

I’ve become very tired of all the MMOs with some kind of magical theme. In this aspect STO is truly refreshing—and even clean (my kids can even walk in while I'm playing the game and I don't have worry about what they'll see or hear).

Time Played Results in Direct Value

If you play with a goal in mind of what you’re trying to achieve (crafting, fleet consoles, character progression, upgrades, etc) you will achieve value every time you play the game. In my book, that’s a nice feeling.

Cons (and pros)

The game is somewhat lopsided on heavy DPS with no need for healers or tanks. What’s more the DPS tree hangs rather low with so many folks who just don’t care about DPS—greatly detracting from pugging. (I’d like to see DPS published by Cryptic so it would start to matter more to other players. That way, more elite STFs would be possible—when pugging.) I’d also like to see less of a one-dimensional DPS focus on the game. That said, I really like focusing on DPS—it’s fun.

A few people have complained about the graphics on both sides of the spectrum too dated or to flashy during the battles. I personally think the graphics are fine.

I used to be opposed to the ground battles, but now I’m enjoying them a bit more. I think what gets people the most is the auto-targeting of their weapons, and the sometimes clumsy behavior of the away team. (I’m holding out hope that Cryptic is working on quantum rather than incremental improvements in the ground combat). Having said that, the artwork for ground is really creative and eye catching.

Having played the game for a while, you begin to realize that things generated in the STO universe start to feel very static and procedural. I wish, things would be more organic and/or random.

I feel the game is imbalanced with too much gear and grind versus content. STO has you repeating missions over and over to get a complete gear set – for example. I hope the content creation is not slowing down—but it feels that way.

Having said that, the content is so vast, you can roll another character and genuinely enjoy going through the content again. I enjoy redoing content more in this MMO than I have in others I’ve played.

Bugs?
    I have occasionally been stuck on a map and have been helped out expediently by the GM. There used to be bugs that make some of the missions unplayable but most of those seem to have been ironed out. When I hear people talk about bugs, I'd be curious to know exactly which ones they're talking about. Some of the biggest issues that seemed to plague people in the past was DX9 versus DX11 and using old graphics cards. Having said all this, I would like to see their bug submission system improved. You can just about create a ticket but cannot really view the status in game. I have better luck checking my e-mail address associated with my account.

I definitely like STO more than I don't like it!

Forgot to mention -- spending money is not necessary. I feel that I spend money on things I actually want in the game. Cryptic has created even more ways to be very successful without spending any money at all. For example, I now have three characters that produce dilithium with the admiralty system. I can and do convert that dilithium into zen--real in game currency to buy real things--that you would have had to spend money for.
    It's not only possible but very do-able to play for free. Regardless of your bent F2P or spend, the game does take time to progress--money just makes that progression quicker. Having said that, I think spending money can make you sloppy too--as it's no substitute for good planning
  13. Aug 3, 2013
    I think this is the only game where you can own a starship, fight in space and then take a select crew of officers and fight on planets as well. Also, the only game that seems to have improved consistently over time. Many of the reviewers need to do a re-review of this. Everything you can get for premium currency you can also grind off in-game currency. there are no hard limits to what aI think this is the only game where you can own a starship, fight in space and then take a select crew of officers and fight on planets as well. Also, the only game that seems to have improved consistently over time. Many of the reviewers need to do a re-review of this. Everything you can get for premium currency you can also grind off in-game currency. there are no hard limits to what a free and paying player can thus achieve (except of course a paying player gets it faster). Leveling is easy in my opinion and there's lots to do. I'm a solo player, but this game is best enjoyed with a group of friends who can play together when they hit level cap. This is also the only mmo I play that I leave and then return to over and over... The only problem perhaps is the fact that this game is heavily instanced, with set locations so no feel of one of Star Treks core values, 'Exploration', can be readily experienced. Though I suppose events and such may simulate that. I fully expect the game to get even better with ongoing updates and such. Expand
  14. GeorgeM
    Mar 1, 2010
    I love the game. The space combat is considerably better than EVE and requires maneuvering and positioning to be successful. The ground combat could be better and the pathfinding is annoying as your bridge officers can often get stuck. The different mission types are refreshing as well since not all require shooting something to achieve the objectives. I still don't know what all the I love the game. The space combat is considerably better than EVE and requires maneuvering and positioning to be successful. The ground combat could be better and the pathfinding is annoying as your bridge officers can often get stuck. The different mission types are refreshing as well since not all require shooting something to achieve the objectives. I still don't know what all the ship equipment does but it's fun learning how to get more performance out of what you do have. The gameplay can get repetitive but you can always get more missions that require exploration if you tire of just shooting things. Expand
  15. MikeH
    Feb 10, 2010
    I have been with the game since open beta. The game has definatly evolved through beta and now that its live its a totally different game. The space battles have become more challenging, requiring more of a tactical approach. The ground missions break up the monotone of space but still need some polish. I like the game and I feel it has alot of potential, but we are a long ways from that.
  16. BrentD
    Feb 12, 2010
    I have played the game since closed beta and I still love the game. The space combat and graphics are excellent. The ground combat reminds me of city of heroes, but the option to flank, set up ambushes and minefields makes it a bit better. The setup of the game allows for future missions and capabilities to be added without much need for the expansion packs of world of warcraft, just a I have played the game since closed beta and I still love the game. The space combat and graphics are excellent. The ground combat reminds me of city of heroes, but the option to flank, set up ambushes and minefields makes it a bit better. The setup of the game allows for future missions and capabilities to be added without much need for the expansion packs of world of warcraft, just a simple update. Coming from someone who played world of warcraft, this game is superior. Expand
  17. Feb 3, 2012
    I tried STO during release and left less than a month into the game. It was horrible. When the recent change to a free to play model was announced, I was curious as to what changes had been made. I reactivated my account and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at all the changes to the space missions and especially the ground missions. Space combat in STO is the strongest appeal theI tried STO during release and left less than a month into the game. It was horrible. When the recent change to a free to play model was announced, I was curious as to what changes had been made. I reactivated my account and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at all the changes to the space missions and especially the ground missions. Space combat in STO is the strongest appeal the game has. It is unlikely that STO will ever be a mainstream game, but if you are a Star Trek fan, then you should really enjoy STO at this point. Expand
  18. CharlieL
    Feb 2, 2010
    I thought this game was a great take on the Star Trek license! My friends and I are still having a great time with it. I love the customizable ships too. The combination of ground and space combat is a great addition to the MMO genre.
  19. MasonLt
    Feb 4, 2010
    I give this game an 8 and not a 10 because there are 2 areas where this game clearly lacks. The ground combat is boring and is this is a multi-player game. And yet it focuses on the single player experience. That being said the good points are.. The space combat is like nothing you've played before in a MMO. Its thrilling and fast paced. The idea of having other characters you can I give this game an 8 and not a 10 because there are 2 areas where this game clearly lacks. The ground combat is boring and is this is a multi-player game. And yet it focuses on the single player experience. That being said the good points are.. The space combat is like nothing you've played before in a MMO. Its thrilling and fast paced. The idea of having other characters you can give orders too and level up is a novel idea and it works really well. Lastly but not least, It is Star Trek after all. If you like star trek then you'll like this. If you love star trek then you'll love this. final comments are its a fun tactical mmorpg with some clear failings but dont let that spoil your fun. Expand
  20. AndrewB
    Feb 7, 2010
    Pretty good game. It could still use a lot of work and polish, but it's got a solid foundation. Space combat is REALLY fun, but ground combat could definitely use some work. The customization of your ships, avatar, and even officers is really amazing.
  21. J.A
    Feb 7, 2010
    It's got some way to go before I could honestly give it a 9; it needs more content and bug-fixing. But the game itself I enjoy, including the ground segments that other people seem to dislike. It's also apparent that they put a lot of work into making this a canonical sequel to Nemesis (and the start of Star Trek XI), and they should be applauded for that. I could just do with It's got some way to go before I could honestly give it a 9; it needs more content and bug-fixing. But the game itself I enjoy, including the ground segments that other people seem to dislike. It's also apparent that they put a lot of work into making this a canonical sequel to Nemesis (and the start of Star Trek XI), and they should be applauded for that. I could just do with some more fixes, please. Expand
  22. AdamW
    Feb 10, 2010
    As a Star Trek fan this game is enjoyable to play. The ships are well designed and the choice of colours makes your ship unique. The ground combat can be difficult at times, but I have enjoyed it. I think the game will improve as time goes on. the bugs will vanish and hopefully some new content will add to the experience of Star Trek.
  23. WalterB
    Feb 11, 2010
    This is one of the best MMO's that I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The graphics are great and it really feels like you are in control of your own Star Trek show. My only complaint is that they didn't spend enough time developing the game before release and it has quite a bit of bugs, needs more content (Read content for Klingons here) and they need to balance the 2 This is one of the best MMO's that I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The graphics are great and it really feels like you are in control of your own Star Trek show. My only complaint is that they didn't spend enough time developing the game before release and it has quite a bit of bugs, needs more content (Read content for Klingons here) and they need to balance the 2 factions a bit better. On the Federation side you get a ton of quests and just from running your quests you will be well equipped shortly after reaching the next rank, including all of your Bridge Officers, also you are able to do some crafting on the Fed side that just isn't available to the Klingons. On the Klingons side of the house you have PVP and a few PVE missions. the first few PVE missions take you around show you where things are and give you 3 Bridge Officers, then you get the repeatable PVP missions, and PVE MISSION no that is not a typo, most of you Levling will take place in PVP which will give you all the credits you need to get equipped or you can do the Kahless Expanse. Which will give you different kinds of credits that will get you pretty much the same equipment. This is where we come to the disparity. The Feds get some pretty good Rare equipment starting in their Tier 2 mission (Level 11 through 20) Where as the Klingons will only get the PVP/Exploration equipment that the Feds can also get. Cryptic is supposed to be working on some PVE content for the Klingons that should fix this disparity in equipment but until they do my Liberated Borg Klingon will be staying at level 9. Expand
  24. JoshW
    Feb 10, 2010
    In its current form, it is not complete as are most starting MMOs. But if you are a new buyer, don't let the ex-champions players dupe you into avoiding STO. Currently much of a hate towards STO is by these people who are upset because Champions Online failed, which was Cryptic's MMO before STO. Course part of the fault was due to Cryptic but thats another tale. Its not perfect In its current form, it is not complete as are most starting MMOs. But if you are a new buyer, don't let the ex-champions players dupe you into avoiding STO. Currently much of a hate towards STO is by these people who are upset because Champions Online failed, which was Cryptic's MMO before STO. Course part of the fault was due to Cryptic but thats another tale. Its not perfect yet but if you are a WoW player who wants something new, something fresh to try. Look no further than STO. It is a fun experience and the potential it has is enormous which is why I rate it an 8 instead of a 7. The Trek IP is just a gold mine for this game and the main storyline does not disappoint as you move into the Romulan sectors. Give it a shot! Expand
  25. BillP
    Feb 12, 2010
    Has growing pains like any newly launched MMO, but it is a great start, and the upcoming free content will only add to the fun. Cryptic has been very respectful of and faithful to the IP franchise, and the game is great fun, especially for an old hand at the Starfleet Command series.
  26. ImergioW
    Feb 12, 2010
    For me it's the best MMORPG I ever played, even with the 2 possibilities to fight in space and on planetsand/or stations - it is just great fun! Although I am a great fan of Star Trek, I think this game would even make sence for non-Star-Trek-guys. Thanks that my childhood dreams became true and I can be a real Captain with my own Crew!
  27. StuartP
    Feb 17, 2010
    Brilliant game. Space combat is pretty damned good and all that. I can't get enough of it! Then theres the forming of fleets that you can modify, put your clan tag on and the like. It's just sweet, 10 outta 10, ESPECIALLY if you are a trekkie! Let's not forget, you can customize yourself and your ship to the 'nth degree and well. It's brilliant.
  28. SeanB
    Feb 23, 2010
    This game is very fun. Space combat is far more strategic than combat in other MMOs I've played. It is almost like dogfighting where you push a hole in enemy shields and try to line up torpedos on that front (or the permutations from using other weapons). Ground combat is fun, but can be very... boring unless your skills are designed properly. Not much worse than say LOTRO when you This game is very fun. Space combat is far more strategic than combat in other MMOs I've played. It is almost like dogfighting where you push a hole in enemy shields and try to line up torpedos on that front (or the permutations from using other weapons). Ground combat is fun, but can be very... boring unless your skills are designed properly. Not much worse than say LOTRO when you are wailing on a boss as a tank. End Game content seems very underdeveloped, though. PVP and Fleet Actions seems to be the only major effort at that stage, but it will take a month of extremely dedicated play (hundred(s) of hours) to get there. Consequently, it is worth the money. Trek fans will love it. Expand
  29. Feb 6, 2011
    Alright so Startrek Online has finally turned one. The game has come a great way from its beginning, less then a month after initial reviews Cryptic rolled out their first set of content updates. These â
  30. May 27, 2011
    Great Trek game bundled with hours of fun. There are two forms of combat, space and ground. Space combat is intense and fun, ground combat is currently not as fun. The foundry is a groundbreaking quest building utility that allows players to create their own missions for others to play. STO is not a perfect game and not for everyone, the game was a little rocky upon release but as someoneGreat Trek game bundled with hours of fun. There are two forms of combat, space and ground. Space combat is intense and fun, ground combat is currently not as fun. The foundry is a groundbreaking quest building utility that allows players to create their own missions for others to play. STO is not a perfect game and not for everyone, the game was a little rocky upon release but as someone who took a years break after the first month I have definitely seen massive improvement. Expand
  31. May 21, 2013
    I think your metacritc score was a fair grade two years ago, you really need to upgrade it. They have done a lot since then, If your going to score or rate games you should update your information.
  32. May 26, 2013
    I have to say that this is a great MMO, the team that works on the game keeps everything up to date. There are a lot of people that still play. Its a blast with friends. The only thing that keeps me from giving it a ten is the ground combat. The ground combat is fun but the animations are a little rough. If they fix that then this is my game. Its the one game that's close to Orion Pirates.I have to say that this is a great MMO, the team that works on the game keeps everything up to date. There are a lot of people that still play. Its a blast with friends. The only thing that keeps me from giving it a ten is the ground combat. The ground combat is fun but the animations are a little rough. If they fix that then this is my game. Its the one game that's close to Orion Pirates. Live long and prosper Expand
  33. Oct 12, 2014
    I've been a lifetime member since day one, the game has improved leaps and bounds with every new piece of content released.

If you are a fan of Star Trek and MMORPGs you MUST check this game out - it's a direct continuation of the Prime Universe after Star Trek Nemesis. Now is the time to jump in - a level cap increase to 60 is coming and a whole new story arc in the Delta Quadrant -

Now is the time to jump in - a level cap increase to 60 is coming and a whole new story arc in the Delta Quadrant - with several Voyager cast members reprising their roles!
  34. AllanT
    Feb 11, 2010
    The game is awesome...space combat is extremely well done and fun...ground combat takes some getting used to. All the negatives you read about this game are either the learning curve was to much for that reviewer or is an issue that im sure will be worked out over time. People need to realize that MMO's of this size need some time to work out the issues. Warning this is not a button The game is awesome...space combat is extremely well done and fun...ground combat takes some getting used to. All the negatives you read about this game are either the learning curve was to much for that reviewer or is an issue that im sure will be worked out over time. People need to realize that MMO's of this size need some time to work out the issues. Warning this is not a button masher kids game and does take some intelligence to master! THANK GOD! Expand
  35. MattD
    Feb 3, 2010
    For the Trek fans, this is an enjoyable and accessible game that's fun to play, if a bit repetitive after a while. Still, the execution is good, the planets and space systems are diverse, and there's plenty of action.
  36. MikeD
    Feb 13, 2010
    It will all be a matter of content and whether they can keep up with the huge crowd of Star Trek fans. The game was released with a few flaws that has allowed serious gamers to zip through the content and reach max level in a matter of days. But, if you enjoy decent story line and take your time to enjoy the game it can be a great experience although some game play can get repetitive, not It will all be a matter of content and whether they can keep up with the huge crowd of Star Trek fans. The game was released with a few flaws that has allowed serious gamers to zip through the content and reach max level in a matter of days. But, if you enjoy decent story line and take your time to enjoy the game it can be a great experience although some game play can get repetitive, not so much a grind though. I am enjoying the game play a lot, but I don't see the game lasting much past 3-4 months with out new and frequent content. Expand
  37. ShaneG
    Feb 3, 2010
    Totally lovin' the game. Ship to ship combat is done very nicely and the ground missions are interesting and fun. Once you conquer the steep learning curve and work out what abilities you like it's a great game to be playing. A must for all Star Trek fans.
  38. WayneA
    Feb 3, 2010
    Captures the spirit that is Star Trek with the right look, music and atmosphere. Ground combat can be improved but the rest has far exceeded my expectations and with so much potential to expand ahead.
  39. EmoryS
    Mar 1, 2010
    This IS Star Trek. If you have waited 25+ years to finally play in the final frontier, this is the game for you. Spend hours customizing your character and ship, explore strange new worlds, and fight all the classic bad guys that you know and love. The negitive? The offical community is stuck in a vulcan blood fever, so turn off the zone chat and only read the forums if you MUST. Also, This IS Star Trek. If you have waited 25+ years to finally play in the final frontier, this is the game for you. Spend hours customizing your character and ship, explore strange new worlds, and fight all the classic bad guys that you know and love. The negitive? The offical community is stuck in a vulcan blood fever, so turn off the zone chat and only read the forums if you MUST. Also, patches are coming fast and furious, so server and down time is in line with a game that is one month live. I'm having a great time with frends and family in a fleet. Live long and prosper! Expand
  40. JanB
    Mar 2, 2010
    In a few words: Nice-looking, reaxing, casual. I'm a big fan of Eve:Online, this game gives me what Eve won't - possibility to log in for 25 minutes and actually do something in the game, something more than cheacking in-game mail and undocking from station. I think it's a great choice for people looking for easy fun and rest from harcore "I have to log in at least for In a few words: Nice-looking, reaxing, casual. I'm a big fan of Eve:Online, this game gives me what Eve won't - possibility to log in for 25 minutes and actually do something in the game, something more than cheacking in-game mail and undocking from station. I think it's a great choice for people looking for easy fun and rest from harcore "I have to log in at least for three hours or my guild will kick me" MMO gameplay. So far the game is small, and endplay is too limited, but it should change quite soon as new content is added. And even ground fighting have some nice potencial. Most of the bugs were already fixed, now STO should just grow larger and more interesting. Expand
  41. RyanC
    Mar 4, 2010
    I have been playing this game for a few weeks now with a friend, and have been enjoying every step of the way. The ship combat is decently done, and the ground combat is not bad in itself, sure there are some things that are to be desired but I have hope that Cryptic will improve on the game and vastly increase the content/quality. All in all, I see great potential in this game in the I have been playing this game for a few weeks now with a friend, and have been enjoying every step of the way. The ship combat is decently done, and the ground combat is not bad in itself, sure there are some things that are to be desired but I have hope that Cryptic will improve on the game and vastly increase the content/quality. All in all, I see great potential in this game in the coming months. Expand
  42. LoughlinM
    Feb 10, 2010
    This game is purely orgasmic. From the first time I logged on, until I logged off, I never wanted to stop playing. It truly makes you feel like a starship captain. Space combat is absolutely fantastic and well worked out. Ground combat is a little lacking, but running up to someone with a Bat'leth is fun as hell. Customisation is far from lacking, you can pick from three ships per This game is purely orgasmic. From the first time I logged on, until I logged off, I never wanted to stop playing. It truly makes you feel like a starship captain. Space combat is absolutely fantastic and well worked out. Ground combat is a little lacking, but running up to someone with a Bat'leth is fun as hell. Customisation is far from lacking, you can pick from three ships per tier (for now, more to come) and are able to change parts on your ship to that of other ships, and are also able to change the hull's colour configuration. Character customisation is perhaps the best I've seen in any game. You can create anything from a Betazoid, to a ferengi, a Jem'Hadar, even a Vorta!(I've even seen Yoda ;P) When designing the character you detailed options (more detailed than Oblivion or fallout 3) for the face and body, ranging from eye size and shape, to jaw size, to buffness of your character (and as a treat for us guys, BOOB SIZE!). Cryptic completely went all out with this game, and people are definately anticipating their upcoming free expansion. Expand
  43. KeriasS
    Mar 18, 2010
    You know, here is the thing to me. This game makes the term WoWKiller that everyone likes to throw around laughable. Even if it were possible to defeat WoW, this game is just -not- that good. But thats because it is a game for the fans. I'm a classic fan of star-trek, and I adore it. At first, all of the systems seemed clunky and odd, but I did not give up. After a while, once I got You know, here is the thing to me. This game makes the term WoWKiller that everyone likes to throw around laughable. Even if it were possible to defeat WoW, this game is just -not- that good. But thats because it is a game for the fans. I'm a classic fan of star-trek, and I adore it. At first, all of the systems seemed clunky and odd, but I did not give up. After a while, once I got more powers, saw more of the story and started playing with a friend, it suddenly became so much better. Its a good game if you're a fan and have some time to kill, but if you don't like star trek, you will hate this game. Expand
  44. Jul 4, 2011
    Not sure when the last time any of the reviewers played Star Trek Online, but it has come a long way since it first came out over a year ago. So those who gave negative reviews should go back and play it again. I think they would be pleasantly surprised and give a higher rating score. They will be greatly improving ground combat here in the next month or so, and a lot of new things haveNot sure when the last time any of the reviewers played Star Trek Online, but it has come a long way since it first came out over a year ago. So those who gave negative reviews should go back and play it again. I think they would be pleasantly surprised and give a higher rating score. They will be greatly improving ground combat here in the next month or so, and a lot of new things have been added, and fixed. More fixes are in the works. I love this game so much, I shelled out the $300 for lifetime membership, and so far I haven't been disappointed. Expand
  45. ChadS
    Feb 10, 2010
    This game is a really fun casual mmo and now that it has been launched, I can only see it getting better with more content constantly being added. This mmo does have some flaws, but what doesn't? I quit WoW for STO. =) Full customization of your character and ship rocks!
  46. ChadW
    Feb 2, 2010
    While this game is nothing like the other MMO's out there, it does bring alot ot the Industry. It's ability to have so much relation to the story i grew up with even the TRIBBLES. I look foward to more content as it gets better and better. Like most MMO's its not perfect but has alot of potential.
  47. mobius
    Feb 4, 2010
    All the bad votes are from the beta players, i for one was also a beta player but unlike the other I understand what beta means, yes during beta there was lag and server down time aswell as loads of buggy missions but on day of launch all those issues have all gone. if you like your trek then you should enjoy STO, this is more of a casual online game and its not hardcore like WOW or EVE All the bad votes are from the beta players, i for one was also a beta player but unlike the other I understand what beta means, yes during beta there was lag and server down time aswell as loads of buggy missions but on day of launch all those issues have all gone. if you like your trek then you should enjoy STO, this is more of a casual online game and its not hardcore like WOW or EVE but probably more like guildwars. Expand
  48. MichaelL
    Feb 5, 2010
    The game is a very detailed journey through the star trek universe. It has some very strong points that include space comment. Ground combat is fun with a friend and once you get your away team geared properly can be very fun. It got a 9 from me because of the occasional disconnects and lag. However it is an excellent diversion from WOW.
  49. LeeM
    Feb 6, 2010
    Great entertaining game, that immerses the player into 25th Century Trek, a time where the galaxy is at war, a conceit that's really necessary for a game of this type, despite what many of the impossible to please Trek purists might tell you. This game makes a refreshing change from other MMO's that I've played, and provided Cryptic give it the love that the IP deserves as Great entertaining game, that immerses the player into 25th Century Trek, a time where the galaxy is at war, a conceit that's really necessary for a game of this type, despite what many of the impossible to please Trek purists might tell you. This game makes a refreshing change from other MMO's that I've played, and provided Cryptic give it the love that the IP deserves as time progresses they have a good foundation on which to build. Expand
  50. BearD
    Feb 9, 2010
    Some peoples first thoughts will be "it cant compete with wow" but its not wow its Star Trek Online. Its from the worlds biggest franchise, it plays and feels like the Tv series. Graphics: are just beautiful and the game will run most systems. Not washed out graphics like wow but clear detailed graphics. The different worlds are different from each other. The layout of the interface and Some peoples first thoughts will be "it cant compete with wow" but its not wow its Star Trek Online. Its from the worlds biggest franchise, it plays and feels like the Tv series. Graphics: are just beautiful and the game will run most systems. Not washed out graphics like wow but clear detailed graphics. The different worlds are different from each other. The layout of the interface and controls are nice with the awesome shield system. Audio: The sound is terrific and adds the star trek theme really well. The phasers to the computers voice are just exciting and well done that make you feel a part of the adventures not just a 3rd person watching. The theme of star trek is really added with the music. Gameplay: Its excellent once you know the controls.The controls with the players can be hard at first but its no different to any other third person mmo such as wow. Lasting play? Already STO has made a great showing of what Cryptic can do and it can only get better as time goes on. Yes it was buggy but that's a mmo and this is not just a wow style mmo its a complex one in many ways, its star trek. You cant compare wow to Star Trek its to different and in my opinion i much prefer STO because i love scifi. Its nice to see 1 more scfi mmo in the world i was becoming sick and tired of swords and magic. Expand
  51. Feb 25, 2015
    This game, as of 2015, is very robust in content and delivery. It was important to preface my review with this, because at launch, it was bereft of content that most MMO's would consider a basic requirement (endgame content, for one thing). Now, this game if fully fleshed out, especially considering it is a F2P game. The space combat is highly engaging, reminiscent of Insurrection andThis game, as of 2015, is very robust in content and delivery. It was important to preface my review with this, because at launch, it was bereft of content that most MMO's would consider a basic requirement (endgame content, for one thing). Now, this game if fully fleshed out, especially considering it is a F2P game. The space combat is highly engaging, reminiscent of Insurrection and Nemesis. On the ground, you don't feel like a vulnerable away team just waiting to get blasted (and the in-game lore does a decent job explaining why). The opening story and following episodes are very entertaining, but at times repetitive in their objectives. The secondary features of the game may intimidate new players at first, but are well worth getting into. Some people may be put off by the amount of currency required to buy some of the truly top of the line ships, but it is possible to play this game, fully featured, without ever spending a nickel of real money. That approach can be a little grindy, so if you can afford to put US$10-20 towards some ZEN (game store currency), you may appreciate the later stages of the game a bit more. Expand
  52. DonH
    Mar 15, 2010
    I'll give this gamne maximum points as much for potential as for realization. Anyone who expects - or indeed wants - a Star Trek MMO to be Perfect right out of the gate is either unreasonable, delusional, immature, or all three. What we get for our pre-purchase money is not merely a framework that can expand and grow to hold an ever-deepening MMO universe; we get a game that is I'll give this gamne maximum points as much for potential as for realization. Anyone who expects - or indeed wants - a Star Trek MMO to be Perfect right out of the gate is either unreasonable, delusional, immature, or all three. What we get for our pre-purchase money is not merely a framework that can expand and grow to hold an ever-deepening MMO universe; we get a game that is playable. One where you don;t have to be an OCD-riddled, ADD-twicth monkey to play and master. Here the reward is patience and a willingness to immerse onself in the genre ratrher than perfect builds, munchkinesque crafting silliness or stabbing other players in the back for the Perfect Drop. STO is, blissfully, wonderfully and magnificently NOT WoW, and for that I am sincerely grateful. You can play this game without having to enslave yourself to it, and good sportsmanship is actually a plus. I am happily subscribed for life, and I look forward to years of interesting expansions. Expand
  53. HaroldB
    Feb 9, 2010
    This has to be one of the best games to come out of Cryptic Studios thus far. CoV/CoH was a great showing, CO was really poor (but in their defense, it's improving- like all MMOs) but STO simply blew my socks off! I was very skeptical when I got into the beta, but enjoyed it so much that I signed up for a lifetime! I've actually even canceled my three and a half year old WoW This has to be one of the best games to come out of Cryptic Studios thus far. CoV/CoH was a great showing, CO was really poor (but in their defense, it's improving- like all MMOs) but STO simply blew my socks off! I was very skeptical when I got into the beta, but enjoyed it so much that I signed up for a lifetime! I've actually even canceled my three and a half year old WoW account. I'll see you in space, Captain! Expand
  54. DerekL.
    Mar 19, 2010
    STO is a very good game. It needs some improvement, but the developer Cryptic has shown that they love giving away free updates that fix and improve the game. The flight sim of space might seem complex at first, what with a million complex button options, but is actually very easy to grasp. The storyline is very simple yet still richly detailed, allowing both Star Trek fans and novices to STO is a very good game. It needs some improvement, but the developer Cryptic has shown that they love giving away free updates that fix and improve the game. The flight sim of space might seem complex at first, what with a million complex button options, but is actually very easy to grasp. The storyline is very simple yet still richly detailed, allowing both Star Trek fans and novices to understand and enjoy. In my opinion, the best battles are on planets with your away team. There are possibly a thousand different weapons - from phaser rifles to disruptor launchers - that each have their own unique sense of purpose and belonging. In short, this is a great game that nobody will forget any time soon, and I strongly recommend buying it. Expand
  55. TravisE
    Mar 13, 2010
    For a star trek fan I found this game to be a breath of fresh air over the typical MMO grind. It has strong and heavy PVE content geared torward the PVE types. The quest content far superscedes any other mmo in PVE content. Clearly it requires Klingon content and has an unfinished touch but the company is working on those items. Many changes have already taken place hence the 9 score. In For a star trek fan I found this game to be a breath of fresh air over the typical MMO grind. It has strong and heavy PVE content geared torward the PVE types. The quest content far superscedes any other mmo in PVE content. Clearly it requires Klingon content and has an unfinished touch but the company is working on those items. Many changes have already taken place hence the 9 score. In the beginning a 6 or 7 would be more fitting but not in the games current state which has already made a huge improvement and more to come! Expand
  56. Oct 6, 2010
    I was not one of the players that was there during beta or launch but as someone who has jumped into the game 9 months after it was first released I find STO to be a very enjoyable Star Trek video game experience. It is evident from the game's website that Cryptic is working to correct any mistakes that were there during launch and while I can understand bad feelings because of the gameI was not one of the players that was there during beta or launch but as someone who has jumped into the game 9 months after it was first released I find STO to be a very enjoyable Star Trek video game experience. It is evident from the game's website that Cryptic is working to correct any mistakes that were there during launch and while I can understand bad feelings because of the game feeling unprepared when it was released, it is definitely worth checking out now.

At this point, what the game does well:
    + Beautiful graphics created in the Star Trek universe
    + In depth and interesting character and ship customization options
    ++ Featured Episodes (the studio has implemented weekly episodes or missions based around a new story arc being introduced into the game) + Space Combat (from what I've read this has been one of the highlights since launch)

The negatives (at this point)
    - Ground combat is still repetitive (although being able to flank and dodge has been fun)

Overall, if you are a Star Trek or Sci-fi this is definitely a MMO worth trying, especially since the demo is free. That's how I got hooked.
  57. Jul 1, 2011
    Its a 'Marmite' title at no mistake, I think the haters are very wrong though, it is expansive, exciting to watch and play, filled with Trek lore and a really fun game to play. A really refreshing change from the dull grind and raid of most MMORPG's out there.. Think original mass effect mixed with Earth and Beyond and your not far off what this title delivers. I love it!!
  58. Oct 13, 2010
    Don't listen to most of the people saying this is a terrible game i played the beta and when it first launched and i thought it was fun but it did have lots of annoying gltiches and it was very limited. Now i've come back after 7 months or so and found 95% of the bugs have been fixed, theres is no crippling lag, they are constantly adding new content and everything has generally beenDon't listen to most of the people saying this is a terrible game i played the beta and when it first launched and i thought it was fun but it did have lots of annoying gltiches and it was very limited. Now i've come back after 7 months or so and found 95% of the bugs have been fixed, theres is no crippling lag, they are constantly adding new content and everything has generally been improved. I've noticed some people are **** about "all you do is kill kill and kill some more there is none of the diplomacy or exploration that was what the star trek universe was all about" there are exploration missions with minimal rewards and there is some trade and diplomacy involved in them but THEY ARE THE MOST BORING MISSIONS IN THE GAME. What people are forgetting is that without the warfare this game would cease to be fun. Would anyone be playing a game like WOW (i personally hate the game just using it as an example) if all you were supposed to do was explore, trade and do diplomatic missions with a little combat? NO. now onto the actual combat. The ground combat is very dull though i've found its become more enjoyable since they removed almost all of the glitches. The space combat is amazing as a huge fan of games like Starfleet Command and Star Trek Bridge Command among others i found they took most of the best elements of both, put them into a single game and improved the graphics and gameplay by about 10x and while it is true it gets a little tedious after awhile but really doesnt any mmo? my biggest problem with the game is that you cant buy ship upgrades with your energy credits (money) from the vendors you need badges of exploration to do that which means doing the boring exploration missions. Expand
  59. Talented
    Feb 12, 2010
    Coming from a back round of EQ, WoW and countless others, it's rare to find a game where it's more challenging to level than simply walking to a man with a question mark above his head. One of those games that I somehow "lost" ten hours the first time I sat down to play it.
  60. KenB
    Feb 17, 2010
    I love Star Trek and have never really gotten into any MMO before but this game rocks! I have tried playing other MMOs like Wow and Matrix and Star Wars but this game wipes them out of the water...This is a perfect game! Sure there are some problems but Cryptic is listening and patching rather fast which is nice to see. I love this game and it will just get better!
  61. GunstarOne
    Feb 17, 2010
    Are you guys all retarded take your MMORPG's snobish nose out of the air at take a good look at the traps and trials the STO faces in the current market across the board not just MMORPG but gaming in general look at other games 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after its realease there are some dam finet title to take your money elsewhere but the fact that STO has had over 1 million paid Are you guys all retarded take your MMORPG's snobish nose out of the air at take a good look at the traps and trials the STO faces in the current market across the board not just MMORPG but gaming in general look at other games 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after its realease there are some dam finet title to take your money elsewhere but the fact that STO has had over 1 million paid subs so far syas something it says IT WILL BE A GREAT GAME ! mark my words this game will # 3 MMORPG in subs and sales by years end. STO FOEVER Expand
  62. May 16, 2012
    Amazing MMO, started off two years ago very bland with nearly identical missions, but judging the additions from the last few months it is obvious the designers are working proactively to add new game concepts and awesome featured missions. The addition of the foundry allows almost unlimited content to be available in the star trek universe. The huge fleet and PvP system allows playersAmazing MMO, started off two years ago very bland with nearly identical missions, but judging the additions from the last few months it is obvious the designers are working proactively to add new game concepts and awesome featured missions. The addition of the foundry allows almost unlimited content to be available in the star trek universe. The huge fleet and PvP system allows players to be much more cooperative and even allows mission to be done as a team. Space battles are much more exciting and shooter mode allows a normally RPG style game to be much more engaging. At first I would've rated this game a 3, but with all the work put into it in the last 2 years it's been shown that this MMO won't degenerate, it will expand. Therefore, based on it's potential if if follows the upwards curve the designers have started, I'm rating STO 10 out of 10. Expand
  63. Jan 28, 2014
    This game is insanely good, its not action packed and the FPS is not the best but as MMO's go, it's great. I play this game more frequently that any of my other payed games like Bioshock 1,2 or 3, Civilization V, GTA IV, Dead Space, Anno 2070, or Mass Effect. The reason this game appeals to me is the fact that new content just keeps coming out it's incredible. The customization in thisThis game is insanely good, its not action packed and the FPS is not the best but as MMO's go, it's great. I play this game more frequently that any of my other payed games like Bioshock 1,2 or 3, Civilization V, GTA IV, Dead Space, Anno 2070, or Mass Effect. The reason this game appeals to me is the fact that new content just keeps coming out it's incredible. The customization in this game is second to none. In most games there is 1 or 2 really good "items" (in this case ships) that allow you to be the best, but in STO there is no one build or one single ship that is the best there are so many ways to specialize and customize in this game that it never seems to get old. With its constant evolution and refinement this game is the best game I have in my Steam account right now. You may read low reviews but seeing as how this game is free I highly recommend you try this game before writing it off. Expand
  64. Jun 19, 2014
    I tired this when it first came out and it didn't click. Recently gave the FTP version a try because it had a new tutorial and really liked what I found. And what I found was a very polished game with lots to do, lots to learn and lots to explore.

I don't care if it's 'Pay To Win' (not that anyone seems able to explain what people are actually 'winning'). What other people do with their money is their own business. You don't need to spend anything to have a perfectly fine time.

Ships are very customisable through equipment and crew, combat is akin to a 3 dimensional Starfleet Command, which works just fine for me.

The galaxy has a real feel of 'everything falling apart at the seams' and the Federation bringing back into service anything that can mount a warp nacelle.

Even though i'm only a humble Lieutenant I've swept systems clean of Klingons engaged in impromptu fleet actions against The Borg and all sorts of good trekkie stuff. All in all I'm having a fine time and without it costing anything.

If you're a Trek fan then you've nothing to lose by putting an evening aside to play the tutorial and a couple of mission.
  65. Jan 6, 2015
    This has been the true home of the Star Trek franchise for years now. Excellent game play. Many critics were obsessive-compulsives who expected far too much. Great fun in space and on the ground, two games in one.
  66. Jan 19, 2014
    This game is a respectable game that differs from the horde MMO games that are painfully similar to each other. Its very fresh and refreshing difference in a MMO. I am happy to say I could play this game until the servers are shut down and plan too.
  67. Aug 18, 2014
    I've been pleasantly surprised with how this game has turned out. The ground missions felt a bit limited to begin with but they have gotten better as I've progressed, and the space missions are very fun. Really enjoying the story as well.
  68. May 20, 2015
    Star Trek Online is easily the best game I've ever played. They have a detailed storyline, cool ships, realistic trek lore and fun combat. There are three factions to choose from and every faction has at least three species and a different storyline. You dong even have to worry about which faction you chose at first because you can play with all three. They even have voice actors fromStar Trek Online is easily the best game I've ever played. They have a detailed storyline, cool ships, realistic trek lore and fun combat. There are three factions to choose from and every faction has at least three species and a different storyline. You dong even have to worry about which faction you chose at first because you can play with all three. They even have voice actors from Star Trek the Original Series and Voyager. Spock is in the freakin game!!! But here are some drawbacks.
    1. To get ships for vice admiral and above you have to pay.
    2. They got rid of star clusters.
    3. You have to pay for more characters.
    4. When you have finished all the missions on a character you have to wait for more. The good news is that they have PVE, PVP, the summer event and the winter event to occupy your time.
    5. It takes a lot of work to get from level 50 to 60. They make you work to get to more missions.
  69. Jun 10, 2011
    Addictive as hell and incredibly fun. A good mixture of activities and team/fleet play. I hook up with my mate and we tackle enemies together. The fun never stops! Well worth the £2.37 I got it for on Steam :-D
  70. May 4, 2013
    Unique and unrivaled game and the whole world should know about Star Trek. I hope that the game will exist and develop and will be popular on the planet earth.
  71. May 23, 2013
    Captain's log, stardate... may 2013

We started out a bleeding rock & ended up a shining gem.
    Dare I say we went were none has gone before...?

Just give it a bit more than a few lvl's (ranks) & you will see
    that the game grows on you more and more as you go...

Thank you for this beautiful free game!
  72. Feb 4, 2012
    An absolutely amazing game. Brilliant space combat, brilliant story, great community, great content. The events and Featured Episode Series, are especially good. Ground combat's a bit weak, but it's better than it was. It's getting more and more 'trek' by the day. And this is all free, so why would you not play?
  73. Feb 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. and the best game of my entire life!
    I tried it for years and gave maximum gaming experience!
    The greatest thing in the game and you can explore space! Game and virtually endless! With steam I understand much better the graphics are indeed the better! With steam game and very comfortable! Update are many! Game has a great future ahead of it!
  74. Feb 16, 2012
    THis game is awesome and since free to play started the population is swarming I personally bought this game at release. Great Game and no cost to you AWESOME
  75. Feb 13, 2013
    Star Trek? Check. Free to play? Check. Alien cleavage? Check. User generated missions? Check. Best space combat of any MMO? Check (sorry EVE). If you are a fan of Star Trek, EVE, free games, user generated content or even just a fan of alien cleavage, STO is worth taking a look at. Don't be turned away by the lackluster meta. This game is a few years old now and to their greatStar Trek? Check. Free to play? Check. Alien cleavage? Check. User generated missions? Check. Best space combat of any MMO? Check (sorry EVE). If you are a fan of Star Trek, EVE, free games, user generated content or even just a fan of alien cleavage, STO is worth taking a look at. Don't be turned away by the lackluster meta. This game is a few years old now and to their great credit the STO team has been busy adding more and more great content. P.S. I am not really a Star Trek fan. But I do think this is one of the best free to play games out there right now. Especially since the cash store is completely optional and not needed to enjoy all of the game's content and compete at the highest level of play. Props to Cryptic for that. Expand
  76. Feb 2, 2013
    The Best game ever, absolutely amazing. Very good graphics, feels just like a Star Trek game should. Large customization. The missions are really good, but I can see why people complain. YOU NEED TO READ THE STORY so it is good. I recommend it any day. Also I would have gave Star Trek Online a 7 a year ago, but the rate of progress is very good. Very strategic as well.
  77. Aug 18, 2013
    I wasn't a Star Trek fan so didn't think i would like the game, I couldn't be more wrong i loved it and its now been updated and is fully immersing, explore your ship, follow different paths in game, lots of missions and good pvp,ST has come a long way since its release you gotta try it
  78. Nov 8, 2013
    I had a blast playing this game. Over 200 hours+. From dancing in the clubs to flying my own custom ships (Attack ships forever!!) to the away missions, the game is a TON of fun and be played completely for Free!!
    A great game from Perfect World.
  79. Nov 23, 2013
    I highly recommend this game (even if you are not a star trek fan) It is my favourite MMO and I play a lot of MMOs, and is one of the few of which where you do not need to pay real money to be good at the game.
  80. Nov 30, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. The new features they have added make it an even more enjoyable game than EVER before. Doing some missions seem a complete waste of time, but the episodes are thoroughly enjoyable.
  81. Jan 24, 2014
    I have found this game beyond enjoyable. I have spend hours a day for months playing this game, and I still have yet to have it cease to amaze me. Other than some of the missions in the chapters being a royal pain, this is the best and most realistic Star Trek Game and the best for a true Star Trek fans.
  82. May 14, 2014
    Star Trek: Online is constantly being updated and improved and it's mostly a changed game from when it was first released. Space combat is awesome, missions are awesome, graphics and music are awesome.

I highly recommend Star Trek: Online to anyone.
  83. HansN
    Feb 6, 2010
    Fairly awesome if you happen to be a trekkie. The game has it's issues, and you'll be dissappointed if you are looking for 'the next WoW', but the game - aside from a number of bugs I have no doubt Cryptic will fix - looks nice, feels nice, and really does make me feel I've stepped into the Star Trek universe. Just hoping Cryptic will continue to invest in it and Fairly awesome if you happen to be a trekkie. The game has it's issues, and you'll be dissappointed if you are looking for 'the next WoW', but the game - aside from a number of bugs I have no doubt Cryptic will fix - looks nice, feels nice, and really does make me feel I've stepped into the Star Trek universe. Just hoping Cryptic will continue to invest in it and keep adding content/fixing bugs. I give it an 8 because I do find some of the ground missions a bit dull. Expand
  84. Jul 18, 2012
    Frankly, I wish I'd discovered this game sooner... But I suppose then I would have purchased some kind of lifetime subscription, rather than benefiting from the fact that it's free-to-play.

Gameplay is split between ship-based and character-based settings. In space, you command your starship as you explore the galaxy and engage in ship-to-ship battles. You can customize your ship

Gameplay is split between ship-based and character-based settings.

In space, you command your starship as you explore the galaxy and engage in ship-to-ship battles. You can customize your ship both visually and functionally - equipping various weapons and gadgets, as well as tweaking the appearance of your ship.

On the ground, you command a small away-team as you battle your way through enemy forces or simply explore an interesting planet. Tons of cosmetic options are available to change the look of your character as well as the rest of your bridge officers. And there's also weapons and armor to wear into battle.

Gameplay does a terrific job of mirroring the franchise. It isn't just all-combat, all the time. Missions might involve delivering supplies to a planet in need, or surveying some unusual readings, or traveling through time to un-do alterations to the timeline.

The graphics are good... But not outstanding. The game has been out for a while now, and the engine is starting to show its age. Nothing bad, mind you, but it isn't as spectacular as some more recent titles.

Where the visuals simply shine is in their accuracy. Everything looks like it should. It's immediately obvious that you're playing a Star Trek game. And, further obvious that you're in a Federation environment rather than a Klingon one, or Romulan. They all look very distinctive. All look just like they should.

The sounds, similarly, perfectly match what you'd expect from the franchise. The hum of a tractor beam, the whine of phasors, the twinkle of transporters. It's all there. And it's all exactly like it should be.

The game is free-to-play now, which means there's no monthly subscription. But that also means there's plenty of things to spend money on. Inventory expansions, cosmetic options for your characters, specialty ships, more character slots, bonus XP... It'd be very easy to spend an awful lot of money in this game.

But, at the same time, there are no real barriers to progress. There's an awful lot that you can spend money on... But there really isn't much that you have to spend money on. It's perfectly reasonable to play all the way up to level cap without spending one cent.

As of the time of this review, Star Trek Online is still seeing active development, with Episode Six having just been released last week. Lots of changes and new content. Plenty to keep the game interesting.

Definitely worth checking out.
  85. Feb 28, 2012
    I've been playing Star Trek Online for around eighteen months now and so I've been able to watch the game grow into the behemoth it has become. I burned through all the content on my first character too fast for my taste, but the update release structure has ensured I keep returning.

Every few months, Cryptic releases a new "Season" which contain new missions and storylines, remastered older missions and various new features such as shuttles, new locations etc. We are currently on Season 5, and the game is now Free to Play. There is now more than enough content to satisfy a player, and the stories keep the missions from feeling repetitive.

I'm not going to pretend STO doesn't suffer from what RPGs and MMORPGs in particular all suffer from, but they hide it well. Grinding is buried as new missions in new sectors and systems, end game content is limited but its focus on team play brings you back for more.

The developers also release "Feature Series" missions, which are weekly released missions set in a short (five-week) campaign. Playing through the missions on their release week entitles players to new loot which may not be available later on, although Feature Series are re-released a few months later.

My initial interest in STO came from back in the days I used to mod Star Trek: Bridge Commander, possibly to last good game based on the Star Trek canon. As such, it was the idea of flying my ship around the galaxy that initially had me parting with my cash. The free-roam "galaxy is your oyster" mentality is what I wanted from the game, and that has been achieved remarkably well.

For Trek fans, the story in STO links back to the TV series and films, with characters and events being referenced or popping up occasionally within the game. Cryptic has set STO 40 years after the last prime-universe film, and has carefully written the history bridging the two. They have also taken references from the Pocket Books, with one character in particular emerging later on.

As with any MMO, PvP is an option for players, though not required for those who would prefer to go in peace. Each mission pits players against each other to either kill or achieve objectives against a third AI opponent.

Missions can be played either solo or in teams, with team play becoming much more prominent at end game and PvE missions against fleets of enemies.

Star Trek Online is continually evolving at a much faster pace than other MMOs, and the developers always listen to what the players have to say. It's far from a perfect game, but it is the best Star Trek game and, for me at least, the only MMO I've been able to enjoy for more than a few hours.
  86. Mar 14, 2012
    the game did improve allot in 2012 its fun now its like eve online but beter get slowling better and its totaly free
    overall the game has some solid points. space combat is fluid and just as much fun as other star trek games like starfleet command. ground combat still has some issues like not having an active cover system. a lot of small things is what kills this game. unfinished tool tips. and the lack of a real starting area.
  87. Dec 29, 2012
    Very well made. The space combat is near perfected and is incredible involved unlike any other. The ground combat is def lacking although makes up for it with involving stories. You do not have to be a trek fan to enjoy this game.
  88. Apr 28, 2012
    Won't give the game a perfect 10, but she does deserve some credit. I've played this game since Open Beta, I've seen a variety of bugs since then. Yes the game still has many, but none as bad as they were in the P2P days. Game play is repetitive, PvP has no reward of it's own the game relies heavily on the STF in the End Game content. Micro transaction seem to be their philosophy sinceWon't give the game a perfect 10, but she does deserve some credit. I've played this game since Open Beta, I've seen a variety of bugs since then. Yes the game still has many, but none as bad as they were in the P2P days. Game play is repetitive, PvP has no reward of it's own the game relies heavily on the STF in the End Game content. Micro transaction seem to be their philosophy since most end game content is in the C-Store, also some lower level content as well. The Klingon faction is weak in their content only a few missions to play as them. Would have to say my favorite part of the game is the Character/Ship Customization. You can also mix and mingle classes and rolls in the game on the fly in ground combat. Expand
  89. May 7, 2012
    The game has improved since it was first released. Ground combat is much better then it was. They revamped the skill tree which makes more sense. The perfect world lock boxes suck. I suppose I wouldn't hate them so much if they actually had better drop rates instead of taking your money and giving you useless junk..
  90. May 28, 2014
    I'm a doctor not a reviewer. I'm a doctor not a critic. I'm a doctor not a gamer. I'm a doctor not a know-it-all. I'm a doctor not an engineer. I'm a doctor not a tour guide. I'm a doctor not a peeping Tom.
  91. Jun 29, 2012
    To the first, the game is NOT a FPS and NOT a Simulation. It is not to compare with Elite Forces or Tie Fighter. It is a varied on line RPG. I have played the game over 100h and it is only 1 time crashed. In hundred times of explore random generated planet maps, i have found 2 they not work, i beamed in the rocks. ^^ The graphic is mainstrem. The maps will be randomized from variedTo the first, the game is NOT a FPS and NOT a Simulation. It is not to compare with Elite Forces or Tie Fighter. It is a varied on line RPG. I have played the game over 100h and it is only 1 time crashed. In hundred times of explore random generated planet maps, i have found 2 they not work, i beamed in the rocks. ^^ The graphic is mainstrem. The maps will be randomized from varied patterns so every time you explore strange new worlds, you find different maps. Later you recognize the patterns but that is okay and amazing. You can delegate duty missions with your crew members, craft ship items, train officers, play endless missions, mine dilitium, explore for your own or in teams or fleets and more. The difficult is mostly balanced and in status presents (summer 2012) comparatively few bugs. It is not a hysteric shoot and die game like so many. For me the game is mostly better than mass effect, because the freedom of the game an one of the best F2P games i have played. Expand
  92. Nov 30, 2012
    I was in the beta for this game and played for a week or so after launch. At the time there were many bugs that still needed to be worked out. I came back after Perfect World bought the title from Atari and to my surprise a lot of the bugs have been worked out. The free to play model they are using is one of the best I've seen. You don't get the feeling you need to buy anything butI was in the beta for this game and played for a week or so after launch. At the time there were many bugs that still needed to be worked out. I came back after Perfect World bought the title from Atari and to my surprise a lot of the bugs have been worked out. The free to play model they are using is one of the best I've seen. You don't get the feeling you need to buy anything but that you want to. Sure some say its to much of a grind in getting some of the season 7 end game ships and upgrades if don't pay money but you can't have everything. I love all of the lore from Star Trek, the space combat is awesome, the verity of missions are nice. All and all its one of the best free to play MMOs on the market and I think better then most sub MMOs. Expand
  93. Dec 21, 2012
    Haters of the game must not be Star Trek fans at all.First see all the episodes of all the diferent TV Series and then make your judgement.
    It's a big universe full of options,of course has some bugs and glitches but that's what beeing beta is all about.On top of all its free,not like Eve or other titles.You can cotumize your ships and better you can change ingame curency for Zen and buy ships that usualy people can only buy if they use credit card.takes a bit of time but with time everything you do you can earn it inside the game playing.
    Every year there is new ships and the developers give you a new one more or less once a year.
    about the textures complaints i have a state of the art computer and graphic card and everything runs smooth.Maybe the complaints come from people with bad configurations or bad graphic cards
  94. Feb 7, 2013
    I recently came back, knowing Star Trek Online went F2P. I have to say they have done an awesome job organizing the skills/abilities/ship stat,and generally smoothing out the game.
    I stopped about 3 months after STO launched, for the most part I quit because of all the stats/skill being so jumbled up that it toke forever to figure out what stat was good for what ability/skill etc etc. ,Oh and the ground combat was lack luster,still kinda is,but its much better now...imo
  95. Jan 12, 2014
    I love this game, great space combat, great community... I've still not completed everything and I am on daily and have been playing for nearly 3 years!
  96. Jun 10, 2014
    Free to play model definitely saved the game. Space combat is great. Ground combat can be too but there tends to be long ques for it. Ultimately its star trek and who doesnt like star trek?
  97. Dec 5, 2012
    I had lots of fun and ended up logging over 100 hours in this game (when it was still a pay to play title no less!). The space and story line is well done, but ground battles are terrible. Really should have just done FPS mechanics on the ground and stuck to their well made space battles. Missing some depth in space as well as far as gameplay, but overall pretty fun. Thinking aboutI had lots of fun and ended up logging over 100 hours in this game (when it was still a pay to play title no less!). The space and story line is well done, but ground battles are terrible. Really should have just done FPS mechanics on the ground and stuck to their well made space battles. Missing some depth in space as well as far as gameplay, but overall pretty fun. Thinking about going back maybe in the new year and check out some new episodes! Graphics were also well done, but could have been better. Collapse

1. This is as fine a[n] homage to one of Sci-fi's great franchises a[s] you can get in an MMO format.
  2. Despite all of these complaints, those hordes of starship captains are quite happy. They may not have many different things to do, and the missions and UI may be rather buggy, but there does seem to be enough content to sustain them - at least until the endgame - and even at its worst that content is knockabout fun with more instant appeal, and more suitability for casual, short-session, low-commitment play than most MMOs.
  3. It is one of the worthier options among the titles which try to compete with WoW, and the one that has convinced us the most to date.