• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Feb 2, 2010
6.2

1. Feb 3, 2012
    I tried STO during release and left less than a month into the game. It was horrible. When the recent change to a free to play model was announced, I was curious as to what changes had been made. I reactivated my account and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at all the changes to the space missions and especially the ground missions. Space combat in STO is the strongest appeal the game has. It is unlikely that STO will ever be a mainstream game, but if you are a Star Trek fan, then you should really enjoy STO at this point. Expand
  2. Jul 4, 2011
    Not sure when the last time any of the reviewers played Star Trek Online, but it has come a long way since it first came out over a year ago. So those who gave negative reviews should go back and play it again. I think they would be pleasantly surprised and give a higher rating score. They will be greatly improving ground combat here in the next month or so, and a lot of new things have been added, and fixed. More fixes are in the works. I love this game so much, I shelled out the $300 for lifetime membership, and so far I haven't been disappointed. Expand
  3. Oct 13, 2010
    Don't listen to most of the people saying this is a terrible game i played the beta and when it first launched and i thought it was fun but it did have lots of annoying gltiches and it was very limited. Now i've come back after 7 months or so and found 95% of the bugs have been fixed, theres is no crippling lag, they are constantly adding new content and everything has generally been improved. I've noticed some people are **** about "all you do is kill kill and kill some more there is none of the diplomacy or exploration that was what the star trek universe was all about" there are exploration missions with minimal rewards and there is some trade and diplomacy involved in them but THEY ARE THE MOST BORING MISSIONS IN THE GAME. What people are forgetting is that without the warfare this game would cease to be fun. Would anyone be playing a game like WOW (i personally hate the game just using it as an example) if all you were supposed to do was explore, trade and do diplomatic missions with a little combat? NO. now onto the actual combat. The ground combat is very dull though i've found its become more enjoyable since they removed almost all of the glitches. The space combat is amazing as a huge fan of games like Starfleet Command and Star Trek Bridge Command among others i found they took most of the best elements of both, put them into a single game and improved the graphics and gameplay by about 10x and while it is true it gets a little tedious after awhile but really doesnt any mmo? my biggest problem with the game is that you cant buy ship upgrades with your energy credits (money) from the vendors you need badges of exploration to do that which means doing the boring exploration missions. Expand
  4. Oct 6, 2010
    I was not one of the players that was there during beta or launch but as someone who has jumped into the game 9 months after it was first released I find STO to be a very enjoyable Star Trek video game experience. It is evident from the game's website that Cryptic is working to correct any mistakes that were there during launch and while I can understand bad feelings because of the game feeling unprepared when it was released, it is definitely worth checking out now.

At this point, what the game does well:
    + Beautiful graphics created in the Star Trek universe
    + In depth and interesting character and ship customization options
    ++ Featured Episodes (the studio has implemented weekly episodes or missions based around a new story arc being introduced into the game) + Space Combat (from what I've read this has been one of the highlights since launch)

The negatives (at this point)
    - Ground combat is still repetitive (although being able to flank and dodge has been fun)

Overall, if you are a Star Trek or Sci-fi this is definitely a MMO worth trying, especially since the demo is free. That's how I got hooked.
  5. Feb 6, 2011
    Alright so Startrek Online has finally turned one. The game has come a great way from its beginning, less then a month after initial reviews Cryptic rolled out their first set of content updates. These â
  6. Jul 1, 2011
    Its a 'Marmite' title at no mistake, I think the haters are very wrong though, it is expansive, exciting to watch and play, filled with Trek lore and a really fun game to play. A really refreshing change from the dull grind and raid of most MMORPG's out there.. Think original mass effect mixed with Earth and Beyond and your not far off what this title delivers. I love it!!
  7. Apr 24, 2013
    Solid Game, Free to play, and full level up without paying anything. Fleets, VERY good story missions. Ground and Space Combat, Crafting, Character Creator, Looting, everything in it what it needs.

And the best part, Prime-Timeline. The original Star Trek, as i love it. It has bugs, and the controls could be better. The support is not bad. Graphics are decent.

I really enjoy this
    game still, after 2 years of playing it. Expand
  8. May 21, 2013
    I think your metacritc score was a fair grade two years ago, you really need to upgrade it. They have done a lot since then, If your going to score or rate games you should update your information.
  9. May 26, 2013
    I have to say that this is a great MMO, the team that works on the game keeps everything up to date. There are a lot of people that still play. Its a blast with friends. The only thing that keeps me from giving it a ten is the ground combat. The ground combat is fun but the animations are a little rough. If they fix that then this is my game. Its the one game that's close to Orion Pirates. Live long and prosper Expand
  10. Jun 10, 2011
    Addictive as hell and incredibly fun. A good mixture of activities and team/fleet play. I hook up with my mate and we tackle enemies together. The fun never stops! Well worth the £2.37 I got it for on Steam :-D
  11. May 16, 2012
    Amazing MMO, started off two years ago very bland with nearly identical missions, but judging the additions from the last few months it is obvious the designers are working proactively to add new game concepts and awesome featured missions. The addition of the foundry allows almost unlimited content to be available in the star trek universe. The huge fleet and PvP system allows players to be much more cooperative and even allows mission to be done as a team. Space battles are much more exciting and shooter mode allows a normally RPG style game to be much more engaging. At first I would've rated this game a 3, but with all the work put into it in the last 2 years it's been shown that this MMO won't degenerate, it will expand. Therefore, based on it's potential if if follows the upwards curve the designers have started, I'm rating STO 10 out of 10. Expand
  12. Jul 22, 2012
    I've play this game a long time. I like this game and I can't say it have any mis take. This game is good change from games like Battlestar Galactica online. It's not same and this is a reason why is it so good. I'm not so good at speech so I don't have any ideas what I can say. Finaly: This game is awesome and I would to invite everyone who like Star Trek or "space ships games".
  13. May 4, 2013
    Unique and unrivaled game and the whole world should know about Star Trek. I hope that the game will exist and develop and will be popular on the planet earth.
  14. May 23, 2013
    Captain's log, stardate... may 2013

We started out a bleeding rock & ended up a shining gem.
    Dare I say we went were none has gone before...?

Just give it a bit more than a few lvl's (ranks) & you will see
    that the game grows on you more and more as you go...

Thank you for this beautiful free game!
  15. Jan 19, 2014
    This game is a respectable game that differs from the horde MMO games that are painfully similar to each other. Its very fresh and refreshing difference in a MMO. I am happy to say I could play this game until the servers are shut down and plan too.
  16. Jul 18, 2012
    Frankly, I wish I'd discovered this game sooner... But I suppose then I would have purchased some kind of lifetime subscription, rather than benefiting from the fact that it's free-to-play.

Gameplay is split between ship-based and character-based settings.

In space, you command your starship as you explore the galaxy and engage in ship-to-ship battles. You can customize your ship
    both visually and functionally - equipping various weapons and gadgets, as well as tweaking the appearance of your ship.

On the ground, you command a small away-team as you battle your way through enemy forces or simply explore an interesting planet. Tons of cosmetic options are available to change the look of your character as well as the rest of your bridge officers. And there's also weapons and armor to wear into battle.

Gameplay does a terrific job of mirroring the franchise. It isn't just all-combat, all the time. Missions might involve delivering supplies to a planet in need, or surveying some unusual readings, or traveling through time to un-do alterations to the timeline.

The graphics are good... But not outstanding. The game has been out for a while now, and the engine is starting to show its age. Nothing bad, mind you, but it isn't as spectacular as some more recent titles.

Where the visuals simply shine is in their accuracy. Everything looks like it should. It's immediately obvious that you're playing a Star Trek game. And, further obvious that you're in a Federation environment rather than a Klingon one, or Romulan. They all look very distinctive. All look just like they should.

The sounds, similarly, perfectly match what you'd expect from the franchise. The hum of a tractor beam, the whine of phasors, the twinkle of transporters. It's all there. And it's all exactly like it should be.

The game is free-to-play now, which means there's no monthly subscription. But that also means there's plenty of things to spend money on. Inventory expansions, cosmetic options for your characters, specialty ships, more character slots, bonus XP... It'd be very easy to spend an awful lot of money in this game.

But, at the same time, there are no real barriers to progress. There's an awful lot that you can spend money on... But there really isn't much that you have to spend money on. It's perfectly reasonable to play all the way up to level cap without spending one cent.

As of the time of this review, Star Trek Online is still seeing active development, with Episode Six having just been released last week. Lots of changes and new content. Plenty to keep the game interesting.

Definitely worth checking out.
  17. Feb 4, 2012
    An absolutely amazing game. Brilliant space combat, brilliant story, great community, great content. The events and Featured Episode Series, are especially good. Ground combat's a bit weak, but it's better than it was. It's getting more and more 'trek' by the day. And this is all free, so why would you not play?
  18. Feb 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. and the best game of my entire life!
    I tried it for years and gave maximum gaming experience!
    The greatest thing in the game and you can explore space! Game and virtually endless! With steam I understand much better the graphics are indeed the better! With steam game and very comfortable! Update are many! Game has a great future ahead of it!
  19. Feb 16, 2012
    THis game is awesome and since free to play started the population is swarming I personally bought this game at release. Great Game and no cost to you AWESOME
  20. Dec 29, 2012
    Very well made. The space combat is near perfected and is incredible involved unlike any other. The ground combat is def lacking although makes up for it with involving stories. You do not have to be a trek fan to enjoy this game.
  21. May 28, 2014
    I'm a doctor not a reviewer. I'm a doctor not a critic. I'm a doctor not a gamer. I'm a doctor not a know-it-all. I'm a doctor not an engineer. I'm a doctor not a tour guide. I'm a doctor not a peeping Tom.
  22. Jan 28, 2014
    This game is insanely good, its not action packed and the FPS is not the best but as MMO's go, it's great. I play this game more frequently that any of my other payed games like Bioshock 1,2 or 3, Civilization V, GTA IV, Dead Space, Anno 2070, or Mass Effect. The reason this game appeals to me is the fact that new content just keeps coming out it's incredible. The customization in this game is second to none. In most games there is 1 or 2 really good "items" (in this case ships) that allow you to be the best, but in STO there is no one build or one single ship that is the best there are so many ways to specialize and customize in this game that it never seems to get old. With its constant evolution and refinement this game is the best game I have in my Steam account right now. You may read low reviews but seeing as how this game is free I highly recommend you try this game before writing it off. Expand
  23. Nov 30, 2012
    I was in the beta for this game and played for a week or so after launch. At the time there were many bugs that still needed to be worked out. I came back after Perfect World bought the title from Atari and to my surprise a lot of the bugs have been worked out. The free to play model they are using is one of the best I've seen. You don't get the feeling you need to buy anything but that you want to. Sure some say its to much of a grind in getting some of the season 7 end game ships and upgrades if don't pay money but you can't have everything. I love all of the lore from Star Trek, the space combat is awesome, the verity of missions are nice. All and all its one of the best free to play MMOs on the market and I think better then most sub MMOs. Expand
  24. Dec 21, 2012
    Haters of the game must not be Star Trek fans at all.First see all the episodes of all the diferent TV Series and then make your judgement.
    It's a big universe full of options,of course has some bugs and glitches but that's what beeing beta is all about.On top of all its free,not like Eve or other titles.You can cotumize your ships and better you can change ingame curency for Zen and buy
    ships that usualy people can only buy if they use credit card.takes a bit of time but with time everything you do you can earn it inside the game playing.
    Every year there is new ships and the developers give you a new one more or less once a year.
    about the textures complaints i have a state of the art computer and graphic card and everything runs smooth.Maybe the complaints come from people with bad configurations or bad graphic cards
  25. Feb 13, 2013
    Star Trek? Check. Free to play? Check. Alien cleavage? Check. User generated missions? Check. Best space combat of any MMO? Check (sorry EVE). If you are a fan of Star Trek, EVE, free games, user generated content or even just a fan of alien cleavage, STO is worth taking a look at. Don't be turned away by the lackluster meta. This game is a few years old now and to their great credit the STO team has been busy adding more and more great content. P.S. I am not really a Star Trek fan. But I do think this is one of the best free to play games out there right now. Especially since the cash store is completely optional and not needed to enjoy all of the game's content and compete at the highest level of play. Props to Cryptic for that. Expand
  26. Feb 2, 2013
    The Best game ever, absolutely amazing. Very good graphics, feels just like a Star Trek game should. Large customization. The missions are really good, but I can see why people complain. YOU NEED TO READ THE STORY so it is good. I recommend it any day. Also I would have gave Star Trek Online a 7 a year ago, but the rate of progress is very good. Very strategic as well.
  27. Feb 7, 2013
    I recently came back, knowing Star Trek Online went F2P. I have to say they have done an awesome job organizing the skills/abilities/ship stat,and generally smoothing out the game.
    I stopped about 3 months after STO launched, for the most part I quit because of all the stats/skill being so jumbled up that it toke forever to figure out what stat was good for what ability/skill etc etc. ,Oh
    and the ground combat was lack luster,still kinda is,but its much better now...imo Expand
  28. Nov 23, 2013
    I highly recommend this game (even if you are not a star trek fan) It is my favourite MMO and I play a lot of MMOs, and is one of the few of which where you do not need to pay real money to be good at the game.
  29. Nov 30, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. The new features they have added make it an even more enjoyable game than EVER before. Doing some missions seem a complete waste of time, but the episodes are thoroughly enjoyable.
  30. Jan 12, 2014
    I love this game, great space combat, great community... I've still not completed everything and I am on daily and have been playing for nearly 3 years!
  31. Jan 24, 2014
    I have found this game beyond enjoyable. I have spend hours a day for months playing this game, and I still have yet to have it cease to amaze me. Other than some of the missions in the chapters being a royal pain, this is the best and most realistic Star Trek Game and the best for a true Star Trek fans.
  32. Oct 12, 2014
    I've been a lifetime member since day one, the game has improved leaps and bounds with every new piece of content released.

If you are a fan of Star Trek and MMORPGs you MUST check this game out - it's a direct continuation of the Prime Universe after Star Trek Nemesis.

Now is the time to jump in - a level cap increase to 60 is coming and a whole new story arc in the Delta Quadrant -
    with several Voyager cast members reprising their roles! Expand
  33. May 14, 2014
    Star Trek: Online is constantly being updated and improved and it's mostly a changed game from when it was first released. Space combat is awesome, missions are awesome, graphics and music are awesome.

I highly recommend Star Trek: Online to anyone.
  34. Jun 10, 2014
    Free to play model definitely saved the game. Space combat is great. Ground combat can be too but there tends to be long ques for it. Ultimately its star trek and who doesnt like star trek?
  35. Aug 18, 2014
    I've been pleasantly surprised with how this game has turned out. The ground missions felt a bit limited to begin with but they have gotten better as I've progressed, and the space missions are very fun. Really enjoying the story as well.

1. This is as fine a[n] homage to one of Sci-fi's great franchises a[s] you can get in an MMO format.
  2. Despite all of these complaints, those hordes of starship captains are quite happy. They may not have many different things to do, and the missions and UI may be rather buggy, but there does seem to be enough content to sustain them - at least until the endgame - and even at its worst that content is knockabout fun with more instant appeal, and more suitability for casual, short-session, low-commitment play than most MMOs.
  3. It is one of the worthier options among the titles which try to compete with WoW, and the one that has convinced us the most to date.