• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Feb 2, 2010
6.2

1. Jul 20, 2013
    I joined this game only after it's transition to the Free-to-play model and am basing my review off of that experience.

For a free-to-play MMO, this game is well above average. The production values, music, and what little voice acting there is, is excellent quality. The game feels quite polished, and for a starship junkie like me, the ships all look fantastic. The main quest chain is gripping and enjoyable, and makes leveling a breeze; a good balance of investment and reward as you level a character.

The lifetime subscription to this game is quite a bargain at $200 USD, which equates to about 13 months of game time of a typical $15/month MMO, and will unlock everything that f2p players cannot access without microtransaction.

In contrast to other free-to-play MMOs, the microtransactions in this game are kept to a minimum; all purchases made from the Cash shop are entirely cosmetic, having little to no impact on actual gameplay, and are not necessary in any situation to progress your character. In addition, an in-game currency called Dilithium can be converted in large amounts to cash shop credit, offering a cheaper alternative for those who don't wish to spend cash, but spend a lot of time playing.

The space combat in this game is excellent. You have direct control over your ship and it's stations, with everything being laid out in front of you, and basic starship command is very intuitive. The controls are tight and concise, and is easily my favorite part about my STO experience.

Ground combat is another story, however. On the ground, your skills are wildly different from that in space (of course), and your efficiency on the ground will be defined entirely by your away team (your group of starship officers that follow you to the ground). Ground combat is wildly more difficult than space combat, with much more focus on movement, equipment, environmental hazards, and multiple groups of powerful enemies. Coupled with the rather basic shoot-em-up feel of mashing your weapon attack, ground missions will wear out their welcome to most.

The game's loose storyline and setting stays very true to old canon, commonly alluding to the stories and experiences of James Kirk, Jean Luc Picard, and even Kathryn Janeway in their respective series as you explore the galaxy.

Exploration itself, however, is somewhat lacking. For a world as open as this one, the experiences you'll have among sectors and it's planets is mostly predictable and simple. Almost all missions consist of no more than destroying some ships, or scanning some structures. While an over-arcing story helps break the monotony or tie things together, most open-world encounters have no larger plot or worthwhile reward for time invested, making them more akin to little mini-episodes and slightly less gripping as a result.

If you're one for playing solo, you will quickly discover that upon reaching level cap and completing the official episodes, you will have very little to do. In comparison to other MMOs, the amount of group content is scant at best, and repeating the same few group events dozens of times may quickly wear thin. I personally suggest you play this game with friends, or join a role-playing fleet (guild) to keep entertained and break the monotony of grinding the same few events all day every day.

All MMOs have some grind in them; STO's problem is that there is no variety on what you can grind. If you want to be a Borg-slayer and join that NPC faction, you'll be running 5 of the same events for months. If you want to assist the Romulans, you'll have a lifetime of ground missions (primarily babysitting and kill-quests) to run around doing.

However I can't be too harsh. For a free-to-play, this game is definitely better than most. It's enjoyable moreso with friends well polished, and a great game for Star Trek fans who've always wanted to run around inside their ships, or sit at the helm and fight among the stars.

I find the game very high quality, personally, but the community is among the ugliest I've seen in any MMO to date. Every online game has it's elitists, it's dev-haters, and stop-having-fun crowd, but STO's community seems to house of the most intense of all of these. You can bet any "problems" with the game will be loudly vocalized, and when the servers are brought down to repair said problem, you can expect to see an equal amount of hatred directed towards the developers for the unstable servers.

Community can be filtered out, however, and basing my score solely off what I get from the game, I can rest with an 8.
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    Solid Game, Free to play, and full level up without paying anything. Fleets, VERY good story missions. Ground and Space Combat, Crafting, Character Creator, Looting, everything in it what it needs.

And the best part, Prime-Timeline. The original Star Trek, as i love it. It has bugs, and the controls could be better. The support is not bad. Graphics are decent. I really enjoy this

I really enjoy this game still, after 2 years of playing it.
  3. Aug 5, 2012
    I feel its wrong of people to give a game with as many bugs as this 10/10. 10 means perfect and this game is far from perfect. Cryptic have added more stuff since launch but have totally failed to iron out even the simplest bugs. I have made PD games since 1989 and I can see where the developers have been lazy or not thought about design. Eg planets merging with background planes. ObjectsI feel its wrong of people to give a game with as many bugs as this 10/10. 10 means perfect and this game is far from perfect. Cryptic have added more stuff since launch but have totally failed to iron out even the simplest bugs. I have made PD games since 1989 and I can see where the developers have been lazy or not thought about design. Eg planets merging with background planes. Objects placed on the skybox. Overuse of asteroids etc so Cryptic are forced to have really short pop up (just reduce the number of objects Cryptic jeez!). But the main thing that winds me up is your away team using devices out of combat..... I mean why? If you're a Trekky then this game is a must, if you like your games to work and last longer than a week then avoid this game. Expand
  4. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The lore itself is done well. With the addition of Legacy of Romulus you gain a new faction and new ships, and the addition of (finally!) warp cores/singularity cores.
    However, the core of it hasn't changed... a lot of the same old lot grinding, with plenty of bugs which are years old and plenty gamebreaking new ones. Also, with Perfect World having taken over, nickel&diming is the rule, not the exception. If you want to compete in end-game PvE or PvP paying real money is a near-must. The last and best equipped tier of ships (Tier-5) for the level 50's can be bought with dilithium, fleet credits and/or Zen. However, the amount of grinding necessary for the first 2 options is incredible, and while you can get Zen through trading dilithium for it, the grinding necessary for it is just IQ-killing. Making you often just pay for the 'last' ship, or keeping on the lesser strong ship from level 40.

Also the Zen-bought ships have the thing that they have at level 40+ always an very handy console or special ability which you actually don't want to ignore.

Last but not least: Cryptic has recently restricted the amount of stuff you can keep in your mail without an announcement about it, pissing off a lot of long-term players. Also the NPCs have gotten some 'special' attacks that you cannot see nor react on which can, depending on the category of the ship you're flying and the current health of your ship (let's say around 50%), kill you outright in one shot while they have gotten a major upgrade in damage resistance making fights very tedious and long.

To sum it up: nickel&diming, grinding, still a lot of bugs (including some really old ones). Positive is that Cryptic seems to treat the lore with respect and they are willing to introduce new stuff to make it come a bit more closer to how Star Trek should 'feel like'. Too bad the cons against this game are starting to overwhelm the pros....
  5. Mar 5, 2012
    I don't play MMO's but I am a Star Trek fan. When Online went free to play, I decided it was time to check it out. The first thing I noticed was how easily I fell into the world. The development team does an excellent job of convincing you you're in the universe. The introductions and segues by Spock are helpful. As far as being a quality experience for free, your experience is prettyI don't play MMO's but I am a Star Trek fan. When Online went free to play, I decided it was time to check it out. The first thing I noticed was how easily I fell into the world. The development team does an excellent job of convincing you you're in the universe. The introductions and segues by Spock are helpful. As far as being a quality experience for free, your experience is pretty amazing for no cost save some space on your computer. The difficulty can be variable and so can the quality of some of the missions, but the story missions are pretty engaging and well though out. The highlight is the foundry, in which fans create awesome missions that occasionally rival those of the STO team. It's a quality experience, but can occasionally become repetitive or feel limiting based upon "classes". If you're a Star Trek fan, do yourself a favor and give it an hour. You'll be hooked in for the next week, at least. Expand
  6. Jan 3, 2012
    I have fallen in love with this game, though she is not perfect, what game is. I am a Science Fiction fan, not just a Trekkie, just wanted to throw that info out there. By far, the greatest thing this game has going for it, is great space combat. The Graphics are great, with many beautifully built space and ground zones, well above many other popular MMOs.
    Character customization, the
    Character customization, the level of detail you can go into with just creating your character was daunting at first, but once i got a handle on the vast number of slide bar settings, you would be squeal with glee at how precise you can replicate some of your favorite actors/family/whoever, with this character creator. Huge number ships available also, with many very degrees of customization available. The Foundry. Have you ever wanted to make your missions and raids in one of your favorite games? In STO, you can. Some of the Player Created content/missions I have played, you would think it should have been on the television, being advertised for "Next Weeks Episode of Star Trek" they are so well made and written.
    Now a few bad parts.
    The Foundry. What?!?! I just said it was great thing right? It is, but... Since it was introduced there has been little to no improvements made to it. There seems to be little Developer support keeping it running right, as the Foundry system itself was actually made as a Cryptic Developers tool for their upcoming Neverwinter game, and them bringing it to STO was really more of a testing of the system.
    The Graphics. What?!? I said the graphics are great? They are, but not so if unless you have a very up to date computer to play with. Otherwise you have to reduce your graphic setting and don't get to enjoy just how beautiful this game is.
    The Klingon faction. Often refered to as "that other faction", has been, until very recently, severely neglected. As a consequence, only about 20% of the player base play on the Klingon side. The brighter side of the sad story is that small player percentage is extremely loyal to their Klingon characters, and they really enjoy being at least partially "in character" all the time, which deeply helps with the immersion factor. Another not so good thing that happened for/to the Klingons, was the recent release of 10 new ships to be flown. Good! Except they are all Game Store ships that require purchase. Another thing wrong, is the lacking of costume options for the Klingons. While the Federation players enjoy about 20 Game store purchasable costume options, on top of a large number of free ones, The Klingons have 1, and only a few free costume options. The Federation characters can show the personal body armors that they are wearing, Klingons can not.
    (see how I went on about the Klingon faction? I told you we were a loyal bunch)
    There are some persistant game bugs, but most games have those, and nothing especially game breaking, except for one bug that is currently effecting Klingon progress.
    Star Trek Online is going free to play on January 17th, I certainly hope you will at least come and take a look, and judge for yourself.
  7. Jun 9, 2012
    When I first saw this game I was truly excited, the possibility of commanding my own starship with my own crew overwhelmed me, that was back when it was still pay to play. When I heard it was free to play I signed up to play, after playing the demo a few years earlier I new what I was getting into and I thought I would love it. I created my character using on of the best character creatorsWhen I first saw this game I was truly excited, the possibility of commanding my own starship with my own crew overwhelmed me, that was back when it was still pay to play. When I heard it was free to play I signed up to play, after playing the demo a few years earlier I new what I was getting into and I thought I would love it. I created my character using on of the best character creators I have seen in an MMO (Especially creating my own alien) I eventually settled with a trill captain an prepared to go boldly where no gamer has gone before (Pardon the pun) I delved straight in. I started playing through the story. A disappointing affair to say the least. When a brand says Star Trek, one expects much more than the general 'go in and slaughter them all' attitude in most MMO's, I was expecting diplomacy and exploration
    instead I got caught up in destruction and espionage. All that aside the foundry is a fantastic feature, the ability to create my own missions is fantastic (although I haven't quite grasped it) and again the system for character creation is great. Then their is Klingon play, it's underdeveloped and I found it horrible to play, the ability to play as 'the enemy' got me exciting but it was horrible, Cryptic have put next to no thought into the Klingon side. So in short Star Trek Online has potential, but it trips up on many hurdles, it has not stopped me from playing it and quite enjoying it.
  8. Jul 22, 2012
    I've play this game a long time. I like this game and I can't say it have any mis take. This game is good change from games like Battlestar Galactica online. It's not same and this is a reason why is it so good. I'm not so good at speech so I don't have any ideas what I can say. Finaly: This game is awesome and I would to invite everyone who like Star Trek or "space ships games".
  9. May 21, 2013
    It could have been a solid 6 star game but unfortunate the Zynga-isme business model detracts at the very least 5 of those stars which then just barley grants this game a single lonely star.

Lets start with how STO earned it's 6 starts before then rapidly losing 5. It's a pretty descend MMO thou without any doubt somewhat dated and lackluster. One of the biggest complaints (a side from the Zynga-isme which we'll get to in a bit) is that the game is compiled of a series of endless instances which in turn means you'll spend a good amount of time going through loading screens which truly can break immersion.
    As a PvE experience you going to have a good time if you're a Trekkie as a Sci-Fi fan you'll be happy too if you can glance past the countless bugs and hiccups you are sure to encounter during your missions.

Now lets get to what this game has degraded to since it took up the infamous Free 2 Play business model. Rumor has it that the executive producer Daniel Stahl once upon a time was a intern at Zynga Inc. and Oh Boi did he pick up a neat trick or two. You can now describe STO in a few simple concepts *1. Narly gambling (lock boxes) *2. Endless grind (time-gated reputation system) *3. The Ultimate MMO Power Trip (starbases provides insane value both in terms of time spend and real world moneys).

PvP is straight up Pay to Win and since there isn't much else to do once you reach end-game you are going to have a bad time luckily you can choose well at least as a federation character to stay clear of any PvP mischiefs.

My hope is that the future of gaming will be about creating great game mechanics and giving players unforgettable experiences and the period of how to manipulate game-play and thus players for maximum profit will became a brief and shameful footnote in development history.
  10. Aug 3, 2013
    I think this is the only game where you can own a starship, fight in space and then take a select crew of officers and fight on planets as well. Also, the only game that seems to have improved consistently over time. Many of the reviewers need to do a re-review of this. Everything you can get for premium currency you can also grind off in-game currency. there are no hard limits to what aI think this is the only game where you can own a starship, fight in space and then take a select crew of officers and fight on planets as well. Also, the only game that seems to have improved consistently over time. Many of the reviewers need to do a re-review of this. Everything you can get for premium currency you can also grind off in-game currency. there are no hard limits to what a free and paying player can thus achieve (except of course a paying player gets it faster). Leveling is easy in my opinion and there's lots to do. I'm a solo player, but this game is best enjoyed with a group of friends who can play together when they hit level cap. This is also the only mmo I play that I leave and then return to over and over... The only problem perhaps is the fact that this game is heavily instanced, with set locations so no feel of one of Star Treks core values, 'Exploration', can be readily experienced. Though I suppose events and such may simulate that. I fully expect the game to get even better with ongoing updates and such. Expand
  11. Dec 4, 2013
    Pardon me, but Cryptic. I am a huge fan of ST, particularly Voyager. I was wondering how will they achieve the meaning of ST exploring. Well... They didn't. Such a small effort was put in this that it makes me sick. They made a single player shooting game. This is an online game with almost 0 multiplayer options. Although this is a mockery to star trek, after I haven't played a whilePardon me, but Cryptic. I am a huge fan of ST, particularly Voyager. I was wondering how will they achieve the meaning of ST exploring. Well... They didn't. Such a small effort was put in this that it makes me sick. They made a single player shooting game. This is an online game with almost 0 multiplayer options. Although this is a mockery to star trek, after I haven't played a while this game, I wanted again to drive the intrepid few more times. Well I couldn't, because Cryptic banned my account for some reason and wouldn't give me it back. Pathetic as they are, they even don't respect their players.

I'll give it a 1, only because I can't give a 0 to something that has"Star Trek" in it's name.
  12. Jan 19, 2014
    This game is a respectable game that differs from the horde MMO games that are painfully similar to each other. Its very fresh and refreshing difference in a MMO. I am happy to say I could play this game until the servers are shut down and plan too.
  13. Aug 18, 2014
    I've been pleasantly surprised with how this game has turned out. The ground missions felt a bit limited to begin with but they have gotten better as I've progressed, and the space missions are very fun. Really enjoying the story as well.
  14. Sep 21, 2014
    STO isn't perfect, but it has really come a long way since launch is is one of my all time favorite games. Two of my favorite features:

1) completely free to play: you can play every single mission in the game for free, and new expansions are also free. Not only that, but you can even get any item you want from the game store for free by trading in game currency for game store currency with other players.

2) unlimited content: STO has a system called the foundry that lets players create their own missions and share them with other players. This means I have a brand new mission that I have never played before to look forward to every single time I log in. I will never run out of new missions to do, which is wild.

But hey, don't take my word for it. The game is free to play, so try it yourself and thank me later =P
  15. Feb 3, 2012
    I tried STO during release and left less than a month into the game. It was horrible. When the recent change to a free to play model was announced, I was curious as to what changes had been made. I reactivated my account and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at all the changes to the space missions and especially the ground missions. Space combat in STO is the strongest appeal theI tried STO during release and left less than a month into the game. It was horrible. When the recent change to a free to play model was announced, I was curious as to what changes had been made. I reactivated my account and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at all the changes to the space missions and especially the ground missions. Space combat in STO is the strongest appeal the game has. It is unlikely that STO will ever be a mainstream game, but if you are a Star Trek fan, then you should really enjoy STO at this point. Expand
  16. Feb 6, 2011
    Alright so Startrek Online has finally turned one. The game has come a great way from its beginning, less then a month after initial reviews Cryptic rolled out their first set of content updates. These â
  17. May 27, 2011
    Great Trek game bundled with hours of fun. There are two forms of combat, space and ground. Space combat is intense and fun, ground combat is currently not as fun. The foundry is a groundbreaking quest building utility that allows players to create their own missions for others to play. STO is not a perfect game and not for everyone, the game was a little rocky upon release but as someoneGreat Trek game bundled with hours of fun. There are two forms of combat, space and ground. Space combat is intense and fun, ground combat is currently not as fun. The foundry is a groundbreaking quest building utility that allows players to create their own missions for others to play. STO is not a perfect game and not for everyone, the game was a little rocky upon release but as someone who took a years break after the first month I have definitely seen massive improvement. Expand
  18. Jul 1, 2011
    Its a 'Marmite' title at no mistake, I think the haters are very wrong though, it is expansive, exciting to watch and play, filled with Trek lore and a really fun game to play. A really refreshing change from the dull grind and raid of most MMORPG's out there.. Think original mass effect mixed with Earth and Beyond and your not far off what this title delivers. I love it!!
  19. May 21, 2013
    I think your metacritc score was a fair grade two years ago, you really need to upgrade it. They have done a lot since then, If your going to score or rate games you should update your information.
  20. May 26, 2013
    I have to say that this is a great MMO, the team that works on the game keeps everything up to date. There are a lot of people that still play. Its a blast with friends. The only thing that keeps me from giving it a ten is the ground combat. The ground combat is fun but the animations are a little rough. If they fix that then this is my game. Its the one game that's close to Orion Pirates.I have to say that this is a great MMO, the team that works on the game keeps everything up to date. There are a lot of people that still play. Its a blast with friends. The only thing that keeps me from giving it a ten is the ground combat. The ground combat is fun but the animations are a little rough. If they fix that then this is my game. Its the one game that's close to Orion Pirates. Live long and prosper Expand
  21. Aug 23, 2010
    If you have A) never played MMOs before, B) are a Star Trek fan, C) only want to play the Federation, and D) only play about an hour a day, you will probably really enjoy STO. However, if you are used to the "standard" amount of content in most MMOs, want to play Klingons, and play alot you will probably find yourself with nothing to do very quickly. To sum it up, STO was released about aIf you have A) never played MMOs before, B) are a Star Trek fan, C) only want to play the Federation, and D) only play about an hour a day, you will probably really enjoy STO. However, if you are used to the "standard" amount of content in most MMOs, want to play Klingons, and play alot you will probably find yourself with nothing to do very quickly. To sum it up, STO was released about a year too early. Sure, it could be a great game a year from now, but thats not how reviews work, so see my score above for how STO currently is. Expand
  22. Jul 4, 2011
    Not sure when the last time any of the reviewers played Star Trek Online, but it has come a long way since it first came out over a year ago. So those who gave negative reviews should go back and play it again. I think they would be pleasantly surprised and give a higher rating score. They will be greatly improving ground combat here in the next month or so, and a lot of new things haveNot sure when the last time any of the reviewers played Star Trek Online, but it has come a long way since it first came out over a year ago. So those who gave negative reviews should go back and play it again. I think they would be pleasantly surprised and give a higher rating score. They will be greatly improving ground combat here in the next month or so, and a lot of new things have been added, and fixed. More fixes are in the works. I love this game so much, I shelled out the $300 for lifetime membership, and so far I haven't been disappointed. Expand
  23. Feb 25, 2012
    STO is now F2P so i gave it a try for 4 weeks.
    The first 3 weeks of gameplay was interrupted by daily patches and daily server shutdowns to fix the broken patches.
    STO is now F2P so i gave it a try for 4 weeks.
    leveling was extremely fast,and boring doing the same cookie cutter missions over and over at each level.I reached the level cap in 1 week and thats when the real boredom started.After reaching the level cap there is nothing to do except a few STF missions which you need to do hundreds of times each in order to try to get the good gear that you need to participate in pvp.
    The game seems to be a typical low budget cash cow game. The community forums require a cash payment in order to gain access to them. some of the mission rewards called mystery boxes require a cash payment in order to open the box and receive your reward for completing the mission.
    A never ending stream of bugs and glitches seems to be the major features of this game.
    STO makes the same mistake that many other F2P games make, they seem to feel that since it is F2P that all the user can be treated as,and used as,beta testers to weed out and report the bugs and glitches that infest the poor quality patches and updates.If I want to be a beta tester I`ll go play a beta game. when I play a live game,either F2P or P2P, I don`t want to be the lab rat that tests the poor quality patches and updates.If they can`t be bothered to do a quality job creating and testing their patches and updates why should I have to be burdened with finding and reporting the bugs and glitches in their patches and updates.
    overall the gameplay reminds me of some cheap knockoff of an old NES type game.
    As with many other F2P games the customer service in this game is dreadful at best and non existent at it`s worst. This game is hardly worthy of the Star Trek name, I expected much better.
    If your just looking for another pointless low budget,generic grindy, cash cow game then you`ll love this game.Personally I wasn`t the least bit impressed with it.
  24. Apr 2, 2013
    I enjoyed the expansive universe and the varied missions, as well as the different officers you could have. Basically you could be whoever you wished in Starfleet or the Klingon Empire. Another plus is how the story unfolds in "episodes" over an entire arc involving one enemy race as the primary antagonist, the game's equivalent to a regular season. However, the combat suffers from theI enjoyed the expansive universe and the varied missions, as well as the different officers you could have. Basically you could be whoever you wished in Starfleet or the Klingon Empire. Another plus is how the story unfolds in "episodes" over an entire arc involving one enemy race as the primary antagonist, the game's equivalent to a regular season. However, the combat suffers from the same repetitive tactics in every single mission/episode. The biggest frustrations came from battling the Romulans. Every single space battle that happens, the Romulan ships always pull the cheapest maneuvers to instantly destroy your starship, the most used one being where the Romulans hold your ship still with a tractor beam before unloading a massive volley of heavy plasma torpedoes that quickly overload your shields and destroy your ship in one shot. That would be fine if they used it a few times, but the AI seeks to *abuse* that tactic as much as possible in every single mission's space battle (all within the Romulan "season"), causing the mission to be nearly impossible to complete even though the difficulty of the mission is the same as the level your character is at when you attempt it. The ground battles are nearly the opposite. The ground missions are generally very, very easy compared to the space battles if your away team has good synergy between the skills you've given them to use in battle.

Another issue I have is the exploration. Whenever I'm between missions, I wanted to explore some random world to feel like a true explorer, as was promised from the first looks of the game prior to its release. Instead, I'm forced to stay in space to either 1) run an errand for a new race, 2) fight a battle, or 3) answer a distress call. Afterwards, there isn't even an option to explore the world, at least as far as I knew after scanning the entire UI for the option.

So, here is the bottom line.
    Pros:
    + huge universe to explore
    + visiting familiar places from all of the TV series before Enterprise
    + varied missions
    + the TV-series-like feel of the story missions

Cons (in minuses):
    - AI repeatedly abusing cheap maneuvers in space battles to get insta-kills
    - ground battles are too easy in comparison to space battles (PvE)
    - no option to explore random worlds

The abusive AI in the PvE space battles were way too much for me to continue playing the game any further and I stopped playing. If I ever go back to it, I hope the AI has been improved to where they stop spamming the same one-shot-kill tactic in every single space battle (as the Romulans).
  25. Nov 19, 2012
    What an absolute waste of my time. Do you like varied missions? Do you like doing more than engaging in repetitive and mundane space battles over and over and over again without having the option to skip or use stealth to achieve objectives without resorting to combat? Well then look elsewhere, friend. Sure it looks pretty enough and has lots of customizing options, but that's where theWhat an absolute waste of my time. Do you like varied missions? Do you like doing more than engaging in repetitive and mundane space battles over and over and over again without having the option to skip or use stealth to achieve objectives without resorting to combat? Well then look elsewhere, friend. Sure it looks pretty enough and has lots of customizing options, but that's where the appeal ends. This is a Star Trek game for those who hate nuance, intelligence, or diplomatic solutions. This is only for those who want to fight over and over and over again. If you want real Star Trek, dig up Bridge Commander. You'll have plenty more fun than in Cryptic's piece of trash. Expand
  26. Oct 6, 2010
    I was not one of the players that was there during beta or launch but as someone who has jumped into the game 9 months after it was first released I find STO to be a very enjoyable Star Trek video game experience. It is evident from the game's website that Cryptic is working to correct any mistakes that were there during launch and while I can understand bad feelings because of the gameI was not one of the players that was there during beta or launch but as someone who has jumped into the game 9 months after it was first released I find STO to be a very enjoyable Star Trek video game experience. It is evident from the game's website that Cryptic is working to correct any mistakes that were there during launch and while I can understand bad feelings because of the game feeling unprepared when it was released, it is definitely worth checking out now.

At this point, what the game does well:
    + Beautiful graphics created in the Star Trek universe
    + In depth and interesting character and ship customization options
    ++ Featured Episodes (the studio has implemented weekly episodes or missions based around a new story arc being introduced into the game) + Space Combat (from what I've read this has been one of the highlights since launch)

The negatives (at this point)
    - Ground combat is still repetitive (although being able to flank and dodge has been fun)

Overall, if you are a Star Trek or Sci-fi this is definitely a MMO worth trying, especially since the demo is free. That's how I got hooked.
  27. Mar 20, 2011
    The game is repeating it self over and over again. Exploration is about seeing exciting new worlds, finding/solving mysteries, discovery, adventure, to boldly go where no man has gone before. Well with STO I felt like I didn't want to explore after a point, of endless silly scanning around for anomalies. Ground combat is appalling and most focus is on space combat, of which I am not aThe game is repeating it self over and over again. Exploration is about seeing exciting new worlds, finding/solving mysteries, discovery, adventure, to boldly go where no man has gone before. Well with STO I felt like I didn't want to explore after a point, of endless silly scanning around for anomalies. Ground combat is appalling and most focus is on space combat, of which I am not a great fan. After playing STO for about a year I would describe the game as mediocre, only thing great it was hearing Spock talking and the jokes in chats about Sulu and Kirk. Now I returned playing WoW and EVE for sometime (like most ppl I know) and am waiting for SWtOR which looks quite promising btw. Expand
  28. Dec 22, 2011
    Quit after 5 hours or so. This game really would only appeal to hardcore Star Trek fans in my eyes. Graphics are good for an MMO. Space flight is ok because you can control your own ship. Rest is just honestly boring and not much fun. It is going FTP soon though but honestly I wouldn't even download it if it was free.
  29. Feb 22, 2012
    I decided to come back to this after buying on launch originally a couple of years ago. Originally I played for about 2 weeks before becoming bored with the repetitive and buggy experience. By now the game should be in better shape, right? First the good. The space warfare is fun. For a time. Now the bad. Over the course of the couple of years since launch it actually appears to haveI decided to come back to this after buying on launch originally a couple of years ago. Originally I played for about 2 weeks before becoming bored with the repetitive and buggy experience. By now the game should be in better shape, right? First the good. The space warfare is fun. For a time. Now the bad. Over the course of the couple of years since launch it actually appears to have become MORE buggy. How this has been accomplished I have no idea, but the situation is so bad I actually started to suspect some kind of corporate-espionage style sabotage. Over the course of my two days replaying, here is SOME of what I discovered.

1. Certain HUD tooltip elements don't deactivate on mouseover properly, instead flickering in a seizure-inducing manner. 2. The speed control slider moves up and down of its own accord at inopportune moments.

3. Gas cloud texture maps are broken

4. Away team members vanish without explanation on occasion

5. Keyboard shortcuts for abilities sometimes don't work - and I mean don't work at all, not just a long delay.

6. If you 'pin to taskbar' the game icon then try to launch the game from it, it will appear to work until the point of login, when the game will freeze at "connecting to account server". I noticed several people on the STO forums complaining about this and not realising it was related to the 'pin to taskbar' function. They were simply fobbed off or insulted.

7. Planets sometimes appear as transparent circles, showing the starfield behind

8. NPCs vanish (which is annoying when they are required to finish a quest)

9. Invisible phaser beams from invisible enemies sometimes shoot you and your team

Now I'm bored. **** game, forget it.
  30. Feb 24, 2012
    It starts out with a character generation system outdated by much more than the game's actual age, goes on with a completely heart- and soulless tutorial, an interface that is not only confusing and uncomfortable to use, but also incredibly ugly and leads into mediocre gameplay and horrid graphics. I am incredibly relieved that this game is free to play now, for I could hardly stomach howIt starts out with a character generation system outdated by much more than the game's actual age, goes on with a completely heart- and soulless tutorial, an interface that is not only confusing and uncomfortable to use, but also incredibly ugly and leads into mediocre gameplay and horrid graphics. I am incredibly relieved that this game is free to play now, for I could hardly stomach how it must feel to have spent money on this. I'd have to get paid to play it and I'd have to get paid even more to recommend it without swallowing my tongue. Simply horrible and a shame even for the Star Trek franchise. Expand

1. This is as fine a[n] homage to one of Sci-fi's great franchises a[s] you can get in an MMO format.
  2. Despite all of these complaints, those hordes of starship captains are quite happy. They may not have many different things to do, and the missions and UI may be rather buggy, but there does seem to be enough content to sustain them - at least until the endgame - and even at its worst that content is knockabout fun with more instant appeal, and more suitability for casual, short-session, low-commitment play than most MMOs.
  3. It is one of the worthier options among the titles which try to compete with WoW, and the one that has convinced us the most to date.