Star Trek Online PC

• Release Date: Feb 2, 2010
6.2

1. dd
    Feb 24, 2010
    I would echo the thoughts of charlie as STO is a great take on the Star Trek universe. Incredible for fans of ST and of all Sci-fi. Difference of space combat vs ground is nice. PvP, PvE, etc. all welcome. However, Cryptic must devote some amount of time continuing to develop this title as it does suffer from some shallow aspects and some general bugs and unfinished areas. That said, as a I would echo the thoughts of charlie as STO is a great take on the Star Trek universe. Incredible for fans of ST and of all Sci-fi. Difference of space combat vs ground is nice. PvP, PvE, etc. all welcome. However, Cryptic must devote some amount of time continuing to develop this title as it does suffer from some shallow aspects and some general bugs and unfinished areas. That said, as a fan of the series and of sci-fi MMOs in general, this is a genre that is sorely needed with the glut of WoW and DnD clones perpetually on the market. As it stands, I give it an 8 for a classic theme, sci-fi bent of RPG, and quality of play and variety. If cryptic fully supports this game and continues to release content and upgrades, it could definitely move into the 10 range for me. I will be playing and hanging around to see if that happens. No more swords and sorcery for me for a while! Expand
  2. DekanD
    Feb 18, 2010
    I believe most people agree that the space combat components are the best part of this game (other than the eye candy that is the spacely environment). I myself found the ground combat interesting and it's refreshing to not have to be dependant on other players to accomplish group missions. It's nice to be able to either play with your friends or make your own away team, so I believe most people agree that the space combat components are the best part of this game (other than the eye candy that is the spacely environment). I myself found the ground combat interesting and it's refreshing to not have to be dependant on other players to accomplish group missions. It's nice to be able to either play with your friends or make your own away team, so regardless of your situation you have the basic components to almost every MMO. I also find that gearing up two different Avatars is an addictive concept. Gear is easy enough to get and progresses at a rate similar to leveling. The big down side to this game is the extremely predictable quest line. It has a very elementary feel to it. Expand
  3. Jul 20, 2013
    I joined this game only after it's transition to the Free-to-play model and am basing my review off of that experience.

For a free-to-play MMO, this game is well above average. The production values, music, and what little voice acting there is, is excellent quality. The game feels quite polished, and for a starship junkie like me, the ships all look fantastic. The main quest chain is gripping and enjoyable, and makes leveling a breeze; a good balance of investment and reward as you level a character.

The lifetime subscription to this game is quite a bargain at $200 USD, which equates to about 13 months of game time of a typical $15/month MMO, and will unlock everything that f2p players cannot access without microtransaction.

In contrast to other free-to-play MMOs, the microtransactions in this game are kept to a minimum; all purchases made from the Cash shop are entirely cosmetic, having little to no impact on actual gameplay, and are not necessary in any situation to progress your character. In addition, an in-game currency called Dilithium can be converted in large amounts to cash shop credit, offering a cheaper alternative for those who don't wish to spend cash, but spend a lot of time playing.

The space combat in this game is excellent. You have direct control over your ship and it's stations, with everything being laid out in front of you, and basic starship command is very intuitive. The controls are tight and concise, and is easily my favorite part about my STO experience.

Ground combat is another story, however. On the ground, your skills are wildly different from that in space (of course), and your efficiency on the ground will be defined entirely by your away team (your group of starship officers that follow you to the ground). Ground combat is wildly more difficult than space combat, with much more focus on movement, equipment, environmental hazards, and multiple groups of powerful enemies. Coupled with the rather basic shoot-em-up feel of mashing your weapon attack, ground missions will wear out their welcome to most.

The game's loose storyline and setting stays very true to old canon, commonly alluding to the stories and experiences of James Kirk, Jean Luc Picard, and even Kathryn Janeway in their respective series as you explore the galaxy.

Exploration itself, however, is somewhat lacking. For a world as open as this one, the experiences you'll have among sectors and it's planets is mostly predictable and simple. Almost all missions consist of no more than destroying some ships, or scanning some structures. While an over-arcing story helps break the monotony or tie things together, most open-world encounters have no larger plot or worthwhile reward for time invested, making them more akin to little mini-episodes and slightly less gripping as a result.

If you're one for playing solo, you will quickly discover that upon reaching level cap and completing the official episodes, you will have very little to do. In comparison to other MMOs, the amount of group content is scant at best, and repeating the same few group events dozens of times may quickly wear thin. I personally suggest you play this game with friends, or join a role-playing fleet (guild) to keep entertained and break the monotony of grinding the same few events all day every day.

All MMOs have some grind in them; STO's problem is that there is no variety on what you can grind. If you want to be a Borg-slayer and join that NPC faction, you'll be running 5 of the same events for months. If you want to assist the Romulans, you'll have a lifetime of ground missions (primarily babysitting and kill-quests) to run around doing.

However I can't be too harsh. For a free-to-play, this game is definitely better than most. It's enjoyable moreso with friends well polished, and a great game for Star Trek fans who've always wanted to run around inside their ships, or sit at the helm and fight among the stars.

I find the game very high quality, personally, but the community is among the ugliest I've seen in any MMO to date. Every online game has it's elitists, it's dev-haters, and stop-having-fun crowd, but STO's community seems to house of the most intense of all of these. You can bet any "problems" with the game will be loudly vocalized, and when the servers are brought down to repair said problem, you can expect to see an equal amount of hatred directed towards the developers for the unstable servers.

Community can be filtered out, however, and basing my score solely off what I get from the game, I can rest with an 8.
  4. Apr 24, 2013
    Solid Game, Free to play, and full level up without paying anything. Fleets, VERY good story missions. Ground and Space Combat, Crafting, Character Creator, Looting, everything in it what it needs.

And the best part, Prime-Timeline. The original Star Trek, as i love it. It has bugs, and the controls could be better. The support is not bad. Graphics are decent. I really enjoy this

I really enjoy this game still, after 2 years of playing it.
  5. Sep 21, 2014
    STO isn't perfect, but it has really come a long way since launch is is one of my all time favorite games. Two of my favorite features:

1) completely free to play: you can play every single mission in the game for free, and new expansions are also free. Not only that, but you can even get any item you want from the game store for free by trading in game currency for game store currency with other players.

2) unlimited content: STO has a system called the foundry that lets players create their own missions and share them with other players. This means I have a brand new mission that I have never played before to look forward to every single time I log in. I will never run out of new missions to do, which is wild.

But hey, don't take my word for it. The game is free to play, so try it yourself and thank me later =P
  6. MaggieP
    Feb 3, 2010
    First impression; The game is really complicated. I am, however, really enjoying it. I find that I am able to fill my inventory with unknown objects, quest, and read tutorials, in very tolerable doses. I've only been playing for a few days, but so far so good.
  7. RyanD
    Feb 8, 2010
    Star Trek Online is a blast to play from the very start. You'll command your own starship within an hour. You will be blasting Borg, Klingons, and Orions left and right. Strange new worlds and familiar sights await you. This game is very faithful to Star Trek canon. All series and all movies but Star Trek 5 are accounted for. (ST 5 is an abomination) Some downsides: The game is very Star Trek Online is a blast to play from the very start. You'll command your own starship within an hour. You will be blasting Borg, Klingons, and Orions left and right. Strange new worlds and familiar sights await you. This game is very faithful to Star Trek canon. All series and all movies but Star Trek 5 are accounted for. (ST 5 is an abomination) Some downsides: The game is very buggy when it comes to ground combat on stations but not planets. Currently the Cardassian and Romulan factions are not playable since they are being held until an expansion comes out. Still, this is a game every Trek fan should check out. Tribbles included. Expand
  8. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The lore itself is done well. With the addition of Legacy of Romulus you gain a new faction and new ships, and the addition of (finally!) warp cores/singularity cores.
    However, the core of it hasn't changed... a lot of the same old lot grinding, with plenty of bugs which are years old and plenty gamebreaking new ones. Also, with Perfect World having taken over, nickel&diming is the rule, not the exception. If you want to compete in end-game PvE or PvP paying real money is a near-must. The last and best equipped tier of ships (Tier-5) for the level 50's can be bought with dilithium, fleet credits and/or Zen. However, the amount of grinding necessary for the first 2 options is incredible, and while you can get Zen through trading dilithium for it, the grinding necessary for it is just IQ-killing. Making you often just pay for the 'last' ship, or keeping on the lesser strong ship from level 40.

Also the Zen-bought ships have the thing that they have at level 40+ always an very handy console or special ability which you actually don't want to ignore.

Last but not least: Cryptic has recently restricted the amount of stuff you can keep in your mail without an announcement about it, pissing off a lot of long-term players. Also the NPCs have gotten some 'special' attacks that you cannot see nor react on which can, depending on the category of the ship you're flying and the current health of your ship (let's say around 50%), kill you outright in one shot while they have gotten a major upgrade in damage resistance making fights very tedious and long.

To sum it up: nickel&diming, grinding, still a lot of bugs (including some really old ones). Positive is that Cryptic seems to treat the lore with respect and they are willing to introduce new stuff to make it come a bit more closer to how Star Trek should 'feel like'. Too bad the cons against this game are starting to overwhelm the pros....
  9. BrianR
    Feb 11, 2010
    If I haven't played them all I've played many of the more interesting MMOs out there. Eve Online, Star Wars Galaxies and Lord of the Rings Online all rank in time I've spent living there. For a roleplayer, like me, a game's about living an experience as much as gaming the mechanics. Star Trek Online definitely ranks up with Lord of The Rings Online in an attempt to If I haven't played them all I've played many of the more interesting MMOs out there. Eve Online, Star Wars Galaxies and Lord of the Rings Online all rank in time I've spent living there. For a roleplayer, like me, a game's about living an experience as much as gaming the mechanics. Star Trek Online definitely ranks up with Lord of The Rings Online in an attempt to capture the feel the setting and, more, it incorporates some unique gameplay elements to that end. Space combat feels much like a more simplified but fun, action packed, version of Star Trek games like Starfleet Command. Ground combat has the potential to be tactically interesting as you groom your bridge crew/away team in skills they'll need to help you succeed. There's more than a little X-Com-like attachment to your guys and, well, even more because they can be customized in name and appearance and possess four unique traits beyond skills alone that define their abilities. There's exploration in several clusters that offer a small variety of randomized mission types in a large variety of different graphical environments. More needs to be done here but for daily, pick up n' play, content no MMO comes close to being this entertaining as it is for casual gamers. There's already a big roleplaying community and the influx of dedicated Trekkers certainly helps. While we have ship bridges they're largely non-functional breakrooms and hangouts. There is no bridgeview combat or travel yet and certainly it seems hard to imagine multiplayer ships will be in soon. For those so inclined there is PvP, including a barebones Klingon faction, and one minor Raid instance. In the next update the Klingons are going to get much more PvE and more Raid will be introduced. A continuing sticking point is the sheer amount of combat in the game. While this fits Cryptic's vision of a Federation at war it's not necessarily the kind of Federation many Star Trek fans are comfortable with. The developers have indicated they're definitely expanding on the non-combat aspects and this will be focused into the Exploration/Genesis content. Overall, I'm having a ball and I've been here since Open Beta. Get with some friends that love the setting as much as you do and you'll have fun. STO's not perfect yet but there's room for growth in so many directions and no great flaws that will keep it from getting better with time. Expand
  10. BrockB
    Feb 12, 2010
    Being a huge trekkie I was so excited about this game. It is fun, has a great Trek like soundtrack, beautiful and interesting. It is just severly lacking in content. This problem in an MMO is huge. There are many people hitting lvl cap already, I'm personally am 3/4 there without playing night and day. The game is very repetitive, and has a terrible crafting system. PvP is really Being a huge trekkie I was so excited about this game. It is fun, has a great Trek like soundtrack, beautiful and interesting. It is just severly lacking in content. This problem in an MMO is huge. There are many people hitting lvl cap already, I'm personally am 3/4 there without playing night and day. The game is very repetitive, and has a terrible crafting system. PvP is really fun, expecially Fed vs Klingon but there are some serious imbalance issues. It was a fun game while it lasted, but there is no way this game is going to keep most people interested more than a month in the state that it is in. It's an MMO though, and will continue to grow over time. Expand
  11. FredH
    Feb 14, 2010
    Fun, addictive, and totally incomplete. Yet another MMO launch in which the product was evidently rushed out the door by an eager marketing department, ST:O features a great core game obscured by dozens of critical bugs, server failures, and omissions of features common in almost all other MMOs (things like chat spam filters, the ability to sort the auction house, set the home base for Fun, addictive, and totally incomplete. Yet another MMO launch in which the product was evidently rushed out the door by an eager marketing department, ST:O features a great core game obscured by dozens of critical bugs, server failures, and omissions of features common in almost all other MMOs (things like chat spam filters, the ability to sort the auction house, set the home base for your character to use a recall to, etc). Cryptic's support has been totally overwhelmed by the amount of user complaints, and as such it's taking a while to get everything in shape. Still, there's a lot of potential here, and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop. As for gameplay itself, it's a pretty standard MMO design in many ways. Space combat is a lot of fun, and the different ship types really do require different styles. Ground combat is cookie-cutter and boring, and I haven't seen such a dearth of mission environments since the original Mass Effect - almost every ground mission looks like one of 4 or 5 different templates and has the exact same goals. Still, the joy of flying a starship can't be understated. Expand
  12. RobertD
    Feb 14, 2010
    great game, Lacks content amd game play real clunky ala Button smashing, spaceship controls the vertical controls on the ships need something to be changed as you cant fo stright up or down more of like a spiral, ground combat could be better if you could actually target instead of firing at whatever mob is closest to you, no real information on what the character skills or the stats of great game, Lacks content amd game play real clunky ala Button smashing, spaceship controls the vertical controls on the ships need something to be changed as you cant fo stright up or down more of like a spiral, ground combat could be better if you could actually target instead of firing at whatever mob is closest to you, no real information on what the character skills or the stats of certain modules(char or ship) actually do and the Mouse over tooltips on the items sometimes have other items information appear in them so while your looking at a photon torpedo you see information for a Phaser bank. Last dut not least is the Servers which cryptic can't seem to keep up. In my opinion dont buy this untill 6 to 12 months from now unless you like paying for a game that is...well i was gonna say 20% complete but I will change that to 50% as the game is playable and does entertain for a bit(while the current content lasts). Expand
  13. ZachR
    Feb 18, 2010
    The game deserve about a 6, it is not finished, plain and simple. The people here giving it 10's are crazy. The content is repetitive beyond belief. The Klingons are not even close to being finished. Its a rushed, buggy game. With such huge potential such as a star trek MMO, Cryptic has really messed up this IP, and no-body will try it ever again, atari will hold onto it and never The game deserve about a 6, it is not finished, plain and simple. The people here giving it 10's are crazy. The content is repetitive beyond belief. The Klingons are not even close to being finished. Its a rushed, buggy game. With such huge potential such as a star trek MMO, Cryptic has really messed up this IP, and no-body will try it ever again, atari will hold onto it and never let anyone make a finished game. Trekies will always give it a 10, but even they will begin to dwindle away after 3 or 4 months, the game will be dead before the end of summer. Expect a few 29.99 "expansions" which really should of been included in the release, such as playable other factions. Its worth the $50, play through the game, probably about a 50 hour game at the most, once you hit Admiral there is literally nothing to do, at all, t he game is finished, sit in a 2-3 hour PVP que, or start another charcter. The game is fun though, i was really looking forward to it, Cryptic has wasted this IP and it saddens me greatly. Expand
  14. Aug 5, 2012
    I feel its wrong of people to give a game with as many bugs as this 10/10. 10 means perfect and this game is far from perfect. Cryptic have added more stuff since launch but have totally failed to iron out even the simplest bugs. I have made PD games since 1989 and I can see where the developers have been lazy or not thought about design. Eg planets merging with background planes. ObjectsI feel its wrong of people to give a game with as many bugs as this 10/10. 10 means perfect and this game is far from perfect. Cryptic have added more stuff since launch but have totally failed to iron out even the simplest bugs. I have made PD games since 1989 and I can see where the developers have been lazy or not thought about design. Eg planets merging with background planes. Objects placed on the skybox. Overuse of asteroids etc so Cryptic are forced to have really short pop up (just reduce the number of objects Cryptic jeez!). But the main thing that winds me up is your away team using devices out of combat..... I mean why? If you're a Trekky then this game is a must, if you like your games to work and last longer than a week then avoid this game. Expand
  15. Mar 5, 2012
    I don't play MMO's but I am a Star Trek fan. When Online went free to play, I decided it was time to check it out. The first thing I noticed was how easily I fell into the world. The development team does an excellent job of convincing you you're in the universe. The introductions and segues by Spock are helpful. As far as being a quality experience for free, your experience is prettyI don't play MMO's but I am a Star Trek fan. When Online went free to play, I decided it was time to check it out. The first thing I noticed was how easily I fell into the world. The development team does an excellent job of convincing you you're in the universe. The introductions and segues by Spock are helpful. As far as being a quality experience for free, your experience is pretty amazing for no cost save some space on your computer. The difficulty can be variable and so can the quality of some of the missions, but the story missions are pretty engaging and well though out. The highlight is the foundry, in which fans create awesome missions that occasionally rival those of the STO team. It's a quality experience, but can occasionally become repetitive or feel limiting based upon "classes". If you're a Star Trek fan, do yourself a favor and give it an hour. You'll be hooked in for the next week, at least. Expand
  16. Jan 3, 2012
    I have fallen in love with this game, though she is not perfect, what game is. I am a Science Fiction fan, not just a Trekkie, just wanted to throw that info out there. By far, the greatest thing this game has going for it, is great space combat. The Graphics are great, with many beautifully built space and ground zones, well above many other popular MMOs.
    Character customization, the
    Character customization, the level of detail you can go into with just creating your character was daunting at first, but once i got a handle on the vast number of slide bar settings, you would be squeal with glee at how precise you can replicate some of your favorite actors/family/whoever, with this character creator. Huge number ships available also, with many very degrees of customization available. The Foundry. Have you ever wanted to make your missions and raids in one of your favorite games? In STO, you can. Some of the Player Created content/missions I have played, you would think it should have been on the television, being advertised for "Next Weeks Episode of Star Trek" they are so well made and written.
    Now a few bad parts.
    The Foundry. What?!?! I just said it was great thing right? It is, but... Since it was introduced there has been little to no improvements made to it. There seems to be little Developer support keeping it running right, as the Foundry system itself was actually made as a Cryptic Developers tool for their upcoming Neverwinter game, and them bringing it to STO was really more of a testing of the system.
    The Graphics. What?!? I said the graphics are great? They are, but not so if unless you have a very up to date computer to play with. Otherwise you have to reduce your graphic setting and don't get to enjoy just how beautiful this game is.
    The Klingon faction. Often refered to as "that other faction", has been, until very recently, severely neglected. As a consequence, only about 20% of the player base play on the Klingon side. The brighter side of the sad story is that small player percentage is extremely loyal to their Klingon characters, and they really enjoy being at least partially "in character" all the time, which deeply helps with the immersion factor. Another not so good thing that happened for/to the Klingons, was the recent release of 10 new ships to be flown. Good! Except they are all Game Store ships that require purchase. Another thing wrong, is the lacking of costume options for the Klingons. While the Federation players enjoy about 20 Game store purchasable costume options, on top of a large number of free ones, The Klingons have 1, and only a few free costume options. The Federation characters can show the personal body armors that they are wearing, Klingons can not.
    (see how I went on about the Klingon faction? I told you we were a loyal bunch)
    There are some persistant game bugs, but most games have those, and nothing especially game breaking, except for one bug that is currently effecting Klingon progress.
    Star Trek Online is going free to play on January 17th, I certainly hope you will at least come and take a look, and judge for yourself.
  17. Jun 9, 2012
    When I first saw this game I was truly excited, the possibility of commanding my own starship with my own crew overwhelmed me, that was back when it was still pay to play. When I heard it was free to play I signed up to play, after playing the demo a few years earlier I new what I was getting into and I thought I would love it. I created my character using on of the best character creatorsWhen I first saw this game I was truly excited, the possibility of commanding my own starship with my own crew overwhelmed me, that was back when it was still pay to play. When I heard it was free to play I signed up to play, after playing the demo a few years earlier I new what I was getting into and I thought I would love it. I created my character using on of the best character creators I have seen in an MMO (Especially creating my own alien) I eventually settled with a trill captain an prepared to go boldly where no gamer has gone before (Pardon the pun) I delved straight in. I started playing through the story. A disappointing affair to say the least. When a brand says Star Trek, one expects much more than the general 'go in and slaughter them all' attitude in most MMO's, I was expecting diplomacy and exploration
    instead I got caught up in destruction and espionage. All that aside the foundry is a fantastic feature, the ability to create my own missions is fantastic (although I haven't quite grasped it) and again the system for character creation is great. Then their is Klingon play, it's underdeveloped and I found it horrible to play, the ability to play as 'the enemy' got me exciting but it was horrible, Cryptic have put next to no thought into the Klingon side. So in short Star Trek Online has potential, but it trips up on many hurdles, it has not stopped me from playing it and quite enjoying it.
  18. Jul 22, 2012
    I've play this game a long time. I like this game and I can't say it have any mis take. This game is good change from games like Battlestar Galactica online. It's not same and this is a reason why is it so good. I'm not so good at speech so I don't have any ideas what I can say. Finaly: This game is awesome and I would to invite everyone who like Star Trek or "space ships games".
  19. May 21, 2013
    It could have been a solid 6 star game but unfortunate the Zynga-isme business model detracts at the very least 5 of those stars which then just barley grants this game a single lonely star.

Lets start with how STO earned it's 6 starts before then rapidly losing 5. It's a pretty descend MMO thou without any doubt somewhat dated and lackluster. One of the biggest complaints (a side from the Zynga-isme which we'll get to in a bit) is that the game is compiled of a series of endless instances which in turn means you'll spend a good amount of time going through loading screens which truly can break immersion.
    As a PvE experience you going to have a good time if you're a Trekkie as a Sci-Fi fan you'll be happy too if you can glance past the countless bugs and hiccups you are sure to encounter during your missions.

Now lets get to what this game has degraded to since it took up the infamous Free 2 Play business model. Rumor has it that the executive producer Daniel Stahl once upon a time was a intern at Zynga Inc. and Oh Boi did he pick up a neat trick or two. You can now describe STO in a few simple concepts *1. Narly gambling (lock boxes) *2. Endless grind (time-gated reputation system) *3. The Ultimate MMO Power Trip (starbases provides insane value both in terms of time spend and real world moneys).

PvP is straight up Pay to Win and since there isn't much else to do once you reach end-game you are going to have a bad time luckily you can choose well at least as a federation character to stay clear of any PvP mischiefs.

My hope is that the future of gaming will be about creating great game mechanics and giving players unforgettable experiences and the period of how to manipulate game-play and thus players for maximum profit will became a brief and shameful footnote in development history.
  20. Apr 28, 2016
    I rather like Star Trek Online (STO). It’s one of my favorite games—and I literally had no interest in the game initially. It started on a gaming weekend when my friend and I were trying to find co-op games to play.

Co-op STO has decent co-op mission play where you can play STFs, and most episodes, and missions with co-op. Ever-expanding Storyline Content The storyline in STO

Co-op

Ever-expanding Storyline Content

The storyline in STO is constantly expanding. I really enjoy the new content as it makes the game come alive for me. The voice actors from the Star Trek screen actors is a real plus. Of course the content is also player driven as well with the Foundry.

Short game/long game/mini-game

I like how STO mixes up what you can do given the time you have. For example, if you don’t have time to do an episode, you can join the space queue (Special Task Force/STF)and fight the enemy together for a 5-25 minute fight. And there are a variety of mini-game things you can do, if you can only log in for five minutes and play—crafting, mining, admiralty, doff missions, buying and selling on the exchange and more.

Appeals to the math geek in me

I like to measure DPS with the ACT DPS parser and see how I’ve progressed by increasing my DPS with new spaceship items and configurations.

Fleets

Like guilds in many other games, STO has fleets where you can interact and grow with other players.

Personally tired of “magical MMOs”

I’ve become very tired of all the MMOs with some kind of magical theme. In this aspect STO is truly refreshing—and even clean (my kids can even walk in while I'm playing the game and I don't have worry about what they'll see or hear).

Time Played Results in Direct Value

If you play with a goal in mind of what you’re trying to achieve (crafting, fleet consoles, character progression, upgrades, etc) you will achieve value every time you play the game. In my book, that’s a nice feeling.

Cons (and pros)

The game is somewhat lopsided on heavy DPS with no need for healers or tanks. What’s more the DPS tree hangs rather low with so many folks who just don’t care about DPS—greatly detracting from pugging. (I’d like to see DPS published by Cryptic so it would start to matter more to other players. That way, more elite STFs would be possible—when pugging.) I’d also like to see less of a one-dimensional DPS focus on the game. That said, I really like focusing on DPS—it’s fun.

A few people have complained about the graphics on both sides of the spectrum too dated or to flashy during the battles. I personally think the graphics are fine.

I used to be opposed to the ground battles, but now I’m enjoying them a bit more. I think what gets people the most is the auto-targeting of their weapons, and the sometimes clumsy behavior of the away team. (I’m holding out hope that Cryptic is working on quantum rather than incremental improvements in the ground combat). Having said that, the artwork for ground is really creative and eye catching.

Having played the game for a while, you begin to realize that things generated in the STO universe start to feel very static and procedural. I wish, things would be more organic and/or random.

I feel the game is imbalanced with too much gear and grind versus content. STO has you repeating missions over and over to get a complete gear set – for example. I hope the content creation is not slowing down—but it feels that way.

Having said that, the content is so vast, you can roll another character and genuinely enjoy going through the content again. I enjoy redoing content more in this MMO than I have in others I’ve played.

Bugs?
    I have occasionally been stuck on a map and have been helped out expediently by the GM. There used to be bugs that make some of the missions unplayable but most of those seem to have been ironed out. When I hear people talk about bugs, I'd be curious to know exactly which ones they're talking about. Some of the biggest issues that seemed to plague people in the past was DX9 versus DX11 and using old graphics cards. Having said all this, I would like to see their bug submission system improved. You can just about create a ticket but cannot really view the status in game. I have better luck checking my e-mail address associated with my account.

I definitely like STO more than I don't like it!

Forgot to mention -- spending money is not necessary. I feel that I spend money on things I actually want in the game. Cryptic has created even more ways to be very successful without spending any money at all. For example, I now have three characters that produce dilithium with the admiralty system. I can and do convert that dilithium into zen--real in game currency to buy real things--that you would have had to spend money for.
    It's not only possible but very do-able to play for free. Regardless of your bent F2P or spend, the game does take time to progress--money just makes that progression quicker. Having said that, I think spending money can make you sloppy too--as it's no substitute for good planning
  21. Aug 2, 2015
    Played it for several months now and its a great game, very fair F2P model. Nothing in the game is locked behind a pay wall. Subscribers do get some perks but its nothing that will give them any advantage over someone who is playing for free. Huge amount of content and it keeps growing. The game has lots of issues in terms of bugs and balancing. Space battles are great but anything beyondPlayed it for several months now and its a great game, very fair F2P model. Nothing in the game is locked behind a pay wall. Subscribers do get some perks but its nothing that will give them any advantage over someone who is playing for free. Huge amount of content and it keeps growing. The game has lots of issues in terms of bugs and balancing. Space battles are great but anything beyond adv is impossible to play unless you have insane amount of dps. Ground battles are good as well. Story missions are generally good but I'm not all that impressed with the Iconian war story arc so far. They made them too powerful and I have to wonder what comes after that. Fighting Q? Expand
  22. Aug 3, 2013
    I think this is the only game where you can own a starship, fight in space and then take a select crew of officers and fight on planets as well. Also, the only game that seems to have improved consistently over time. Many of the reviewers need to do a re-review of this. Everything you can get for premium currency you can also grind off in-game currency. there are no hard limits to what aI think this is the only game where you can own a starship, fight in space and then take a select crew of officers and fight on planets as well. Also, the only game that seems to have improved consistently over time. Many of the reviewers need to do a re-review of this. Everything you can get for premium currency you can also grind off in-game currency. there are no hard limits to what a free and paying player can thus achieve (except of course a paying player gets it faster). Leveling is easy in my opinion and there's lots to do. I'm a solo player, but this game is best enjoyed with a group of friends who can play together when they hit level cap. This is also the only mmo I play that I leave and then return to over and over... The only problem perhaps is the fact that this game is heavily instanced, with set locations so no feel of one of Star Treks core values, 'Exploration', can be readily experienced. Though I suppose events and such may simulate that. I fully expect the game to get even better with ongoing updates and such. Expand
  23. Dec 4, 2013
    Pardon me, but Cryptic. I am a huge fan of ST, particularly Voyager. I was wondering how will they achieve the meaning of ST exploring. Well... They didn't. Such a small effort was put in this that it makes me sick. They made a single player shooting game. This is an online game with almost 0 multiplayer options. Although this is a mockery to star trek, after I haven't played a whilePardon me, but Cryptic. I am a huge fan of ST, particularly Voyager. I was wondering how will they achieve the meaning of ST exploring. Well... They didn't. Such a small effort was put in this that it makes me sick. They made a single player shooting game. This is an online game with almost 0 multiplayer options. Although this is a mockery to star trek, after I haven't played a while this game, I wanted again to drive the intrepid few more times. Well I couldn't, because Cryptic banned my account for some reason and wouldn't give me it back. Pathetic as they are, they even don't respect their players.

I'll give it a 1, only because I can't give a 0 to something that has"Star Trek" in it's name.
  24. Feb 16, 2015
    Star Trek Online is really only for fairly serious Trek fans. The type of fan that can overlook the game's many short comings, because underneath the grim is a title with a lot of content and some serious fun.

Some notes: - Lack of development resources seems to lead to inconsistent polish and a patch work of quality. - Space combat is a ton of fun. - Ground combat is poor. So poor

Some notes:

- Space combat is a ton of fun.
    - Ground combat is poor. So poor it will drive some away all by itself.
    - Poor new player experience. Poor tutorial. Expect to do a lot of self learning and internet research.
    - Some currency grinding (dilithium).
    - Quests range from fully voiced and interesting to dull and convoluted.
  25. AzrielS
    Feb 21, 2010
    As a huge Trek fan, I will keep my account only in the hopes that it will get better with time. I was immensely excited for the release of the game. I jumped right in when Beta access was granted, and played through head start and launch. I just don't have any desire to play through the content that is currently available. The game, as it stands, is rather dry, shallow, and As a huge Trek fan, I will keep my account only in the hopes that it will get better with time. I was immensely excited for the release of the game. I jumped right in when Beta access was granted, and played through head start and launch. I just don't have any desire to play through the content that is currently available. The game, as it stands, is rather dry, shallow, and underwhelming. Ground combat is bland and uninspired. Character classes/specialties are almost meaningless; you can play through the game as a Tactical Officer in an Escort ship or a Science Officer in a Cruiser in an almost identical manner. The positive is the space combat. It is really engaging, and I really enjoy the times when there are tons of ships battling in close proximity. Wait six months to a year, and this game might be really great. Expand
  26. GeorgeM
    Mar 1, 2010
    I love the game. The space combat is considerably better than EVE and requires maneuvering and positioning to be successful. The ground combat could be better and the pathfinding is annoying as your bridge officers can often get stuck. The different mission types are refreshing as well since not all require shooting something to achieve the objectives. I still don't know what all the I love the game. The space combat is considerably better than EVE and requires maneuvering and positioning to be successful. The ground combat could be better and the pathfinding is annoying as your bridge officers can often get stuck. The different mission types are refreshing as well since not all require shooting something to achieve the objectives. I still don't know what all the ship equipment does but it's fun learning how to get more performance out of what you do have. The gameplay can get repetitive but you can always get more missions that require exploration if you tire of just shooting things. Expand
  27. MikeH
    Feb 10, 2010
    I have been with the game since open beta. The game has definatly evolved through beta and now that its live its a totally different game. The space battles have become more challenging, requiring more of a tactical approach. The ground missions break up the monotone of space but still need some polish. I like the game and I feel it has alot of potential, but we are a long ways from that.
  28. BrentD
    Feb 12, 2010
    I have played the game since closed beta and I still love the game. The space combat and graphics are excellent. The ground combat reminds me of city of heroes, but the option to flank, set up ambushes and minefields makes it a bit better. The setup of the game allows for future missions and capabilities to be added without much need for the expansion packs of world of warcraft, just a I have played the game since closed beta and I still love the game. The space combat and graphics are excellent. The ground combat reminds me of city of heroes, but the option to flank, set up ambushes and minefields makes it a bit better. The setup of the game allows for future missions and capabilities to be added without much need for the expansion packs of world of warcraft, just a simple update. Coming from someone who played world of warcraft, this game is superior. Expand
  29. JamesW
    Feb 16, 2010
    overall the game has some solid points. space combat is fluid and just as much fun as other star trek games like starfleet command. ground combat still has some issues like not having an active cover system. a lot of small things is what kills this game. unfinished tool tips. and the lack of a real starting area.
  30. Feb 3, 2012
    I tried STO during release and left less than a month into the game. It was horrible. When the recent change to a free to play model was announced, I was curious as to what changes had been made. I reactivated my account and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at all the changes to the space missions and especially the ground missions. Space combat in STO is the strongest appeal theI tried STO during release and left less than a month into the game. It was horrible. When the recent change to a free to play model was announced, I was curious as to what changes had been made. I reactivated my account and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at all the changes to the space missions and especially the ground missions. Space combat in STO is the strongest appeal the game has. It is unlikely that STO will ever be a mainstream game, but if you are a Star Trek fan, then you should really enjoy STO at this point. Expand

1. This is as fine a[n] homage to one of Sci-fi's great franchises a[s] you can get in an MMO format.
  2. Despite all of these complaints, those hordes of starship captains are quite happy. They may not have many different things to do, and the missions and UI may be rather buggy, but there does seem to be enough content to sustain them - at least until the endgame - and even at its worst that content is knockabout fun with more instant appeal, and more suitability for casual, short-session, low-commitment play than most MMOs.
  3. It is one of the worthier options among the titles which try to compete with WoW, and the one that has convinced us the most to date.