Star Trek Online PC

6.2

1. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The lore itself is done well. With the addition of Legacy of Romulus you gain a new faction and new ships, and the addition of (finally!) warp cores/singularity cores.
    However, the core of it hasn't changed... a lot of the same old lot grinding, with plenty of bugs which are years old and plenty gamebreaking new ones. Also, with Perfect World having taken over, nickel&diming is the rule, not the exception. If you want to compete in end-game PvE or PvP paying real money is a near-must. The last and best equipped tier of ships (Tier-5) for the level 50's can be bought with dilithium, fleet credits and/or Zen. However, the amount of grinding necessary for the first 2 options is incredible, and while you can get Zen through trading dilithium for it, the grinding necessary for it is just IQ-killing. Making you often just pay for the 'last' ship, or keeping on the lesser strong ship from level 40.

Also the Zen-bought ships have the thing that they have at level 40+ always an very handy console or special ability which you actually don't want to ignore.

Last but not least: Cryptic has recently restricted the amount of stuff you can keep in your mail without an announcement about it, pissing off a lot of long-term players. Also the NPCs have gotten some 'special' attacks that you cannot see nor react on which can, depending on the category of the ship you're flying and the current health of your ship (let's say around 50%), kill you outright in one shot while they have gotten a major upgrade in damage resistance making fights very tedious and long.

To sum it up: nickel&diming, grinding, still a lot of bugs (including some really old ones). Positive is that Cryptic seems to treat the lore with respect and they are willing to introduce new stuff to make it come a bit more closer to how Star Trek should 'feel like'. Too bad the cons against this game are starting to overwhelm the pros....
  2. May 21, 2013
    It could have been a solid 6 star game but unfortunate the Zynga-isme business model detracts at the very least 5 of those stars which then just barley grants this game a single lonely star.

Lets start with how STO earned it's 6 starts before then rapidly losing 5. It's a pretty descend MMO thou without any doubt somewhat dated and lackluster. One of the biggest complaints (a side from the Zynga-isme which we'll get to in a bit) is that the game is compiled of a series of endless instances which in turn means you'll spend a good amount of time going through loading screens which truly can break immersion.
    As a PvE experience you going to have a good time if you're a Trekkie as a Sci-Fi fan you'll be happy too if you can glance past the countless bugs and hiccups you are sure to encounter during your missions.

Now lets get to what this game has degraded to since it took up the infamous Free 2 Play business model. Rumor has it that the executive producer Daniel Stahl once upon a time was a intern at Zynga Inc. and Oh Boi did he pick up a neat trick or two. You can now describe STO in a few simple concepts *1. Narly gambling (lock boxes) *2. Endless grind (time-gated reputation system) *3. The Ultimate MMO Power Trip (starbases provides insane value both in terms of time spend and real world moneys).

PvP is straight up Pay to Win and since there isn't much else to do once you reach end-game you are going to have a bad time luckily you can choose well at least as a federation character to stay clear of any PvP mischiefs.

My hope is that the future of gaming will be about creating great game mechanics and giving players unforgettable experiences and the period of how to manipulate game-play and thus players for maximum profit will became a brief and shameful footnote in development history.
  3. Feb 25, 2012
    STO is now F2P so i gave it a try for 4 weeks.
    The first 3 weeks of gameplay was interrupted by daily patches and daily server shutdowns to fix the broken patches.
    STO is now F2P so i gave it a try for 4 weeks.
    leveling was extremely fast,and boring doing the same cookie cutter missions over and over at each level.I reached the level cap in 1 week and thats when the real boredom started.After reaching the level cap there is nothing to do except a few STF missions which you need to do hundreds of times each in order to try to get the good gear that you need to participate in pvp.
    The game seems to be a typical low budget cash cow game. The community forums require a cash payment in order to gain access to them. some of the mission rewards called mystery boxes require a cash payment in order to open the box and receive your reward for completing the mission.
    A never ending stream of bugs and glitches seems to be the major features of this game.
    STO makes the same mistake that many other F2P games make, they seem to feel that since it is F2P that all the user can be treated as,and used as,beta testers to weed out and report the bugs and glitches that infest the poor quality patches and updates.If I want to be a beta tester I`ll go play a beta game. when I play a live game,either F2P or P2P, I don`t want to be the lab rat that tests the poor quality patches and updates.If they can`t be bothered to do a quality job creating and testing their patches and updates why should I have to be burdened with finding and reporting the bugs and glitches in their patches and updates.
    overall the gameplay reminds me of some cheap knockoff of an old NES type game.
    As with many other F2P games the customer service in this game is dreadful at best and non existent at it`s worst. This game is hardly worthy of the Star Trek name, I expected much better.
    If your just looking for another pointless low budget,generic grindy, cash cow game then you`ll love this game.Personally I wasn`t the least bit impressed with it.
  4. Apr 2, 2013
    I enjoyed the expansive universe and the varied missions, as well as the different officers you could have. Basically you could be whoever you wished in Starfleet or the Klingon Empire. Another plus is how the story unfolds in "episodes" over an entire arc involving one enemy race as the primary antagonist, the game's equivalent to a regular season. However, the combat suffers from theI enjoyed the expansive universe and the varied missions, as well as the different officers you could have. Basically you could be whoever you wished in Starfleet or the Klingon Empire. Another plus is how the story unfolds in "episodes" over an entire arc involving one enemy race as the primary antagonist, the game's equivalent to a regular season. However, the combat suffers from the same repetitive tactics in every single mission/episode. The biggest frustrations came from battling the Romulans. Every single space battle that happens, the Romulan ships always pull the cheapest maneuvers to instantly destroy your starship, the most used one being where the Romulans hold your ship still with a tractor beam before unloading a massive volley of heavy plasma torpedoes that quickly overload your shields and destroy your ship in one shot. That would be fine if they used it a few times, but the AI seeks to *abuse* that tactic as much as possible in every single mission's space battle (all within the Romulan "season"), causing the mission to be nearly impossible to complete even though the difficulty of the mission is the same as the level your character is at when you attempt it. The ground battles are nearly the opposite. The ground missions are generally very, very easy compared to the space battles if your away team has good synergy between the skills you've given them to use in battle.

Another issue I have is the exploration. Whenever I'm between missions, I wanted to explore some random world to feel like a true explorer, as was promised from the first looks of the game prior to its release. Instead, I'm forced to stay in space to either 1) run an errand for a new race, 2) fight a battle, or 3) answer a distress call. Afterwards, there isn't even an option to explore the world, at least as far as I knew after scanning the entire UI for the option.

So, here is the bottom line.
    Pros:
    + huge universe to explore
    + visiting familiar places from all of the TV series before Enterprise
    + varied missions
    + the TV-series-like feel of the story missions

Cons (in minuses):
    - AI repeatedly abusing cheap maneuvers in space battles to get insta-kills
    - ground battles are too easy in comparison to space battles (PvE)
    - no option to explore random worlds

The abusive AI in the PvE space battles were way too much for me to continue playing the game any further and I stopped playing. If I ever go back to it, I hope the AI has been improved to where they stop spamming the same one-shot-kill tactic in every single space battle (as the Romulans).
  5. Sep 10, 2014
    I'm a fan of Star Trek, so it saddens me to see the license squandered on such a carelessly built game. There should be a limit to corporate greed, but Star Trek Online is, unfortunately, not the utopia the Federation is based on.

The story, the heart of main quest lines, is entirely forgettable. The plot points is interesting though cliche (war, shadow enemies, putting down rebellions), but poorly executed in game. The story is conveyed in a large block of text below a character portrait, with few animations, facial expressions, voice acting, or cutscenes to breath life into the story.

Star Trek Online does provide a possible source of engagement: bridge officers. But they also squander it. The bridge officers lack personality, distinctiveness. The same text is repeated just with different portraits. This is partially mitigated by the Romulan expansion with a single permanent crew member, but the game is better served simply having a fixed crew for all missions for the sake of story then allowing the user to select their own after.

The combat, particularly the ground combat, is a tedious affair. Moving 4 feet, engaging 10 enemies, then move another 4 feet, then engaging the SAME set of enemies. Repeat this for 8 more times before the 1st objective is complete. Then 2 more objectives to go! Nevermind the ground combat's mechanic complexity does not even extend beyond mashing attack and occasionally tossing out a special.

The scenarios are uninspired; go here scan this, go here kill this, go here protect this. All missions will follow these same patterns; the only difference is order. Playing the game is an exercise in patience; the equivalent of chopping digital trees ad nauseam. Time spent on these missions is wasted.

But the game breaker is the lack of polish. Icons do not line up properly with their description. Targeting is not fluid. The overall map does not relay where the next mission objective is. Numerous graphical glitches kill immersion. AI path finding and combat is broken. The list goes on.

Yet, there is still something to love. The space combat IS fun. The details on the ship, even if not in anything else, is great. The concept of bridge officers is interesting. It's unfortunate these features were not fully fleshed out.

There's still something here for Star Trek fans. But for anyone else, their money and time is better spent elsewhere.
  6. JohnP
    Mar 1, 2010
    Kill five waves of ships in orbit to save a distressed vessel. Scan five anomalies in the system to send data to Starfleet. Scan five unmanned computer consoles in an abandoned facility to figure out why it's abandoned. Repair five breeches in the asteroid base so it can be inhabited again. Rewire five artifcats on the ground so they don't irradiate the pre warp culture you Kill five waves of ships in orbit to save a distressed vessel. Scan five anomalies in the system to send data to Starfleet. Scan five unmanned computer consoles in an abandoned facility to figure out why it's abandoned. Repair five breeches in the asteroid base so it can be inhabited again. Rewire five artifcats on the ground so they don't irradiate the pre warp culture you never meet. Kill five platoons of random enemy so they don't start a mining base on said planet. Ok, now use these few basic scenarios repeatedly only tweaking some script regarding motivation and ride that out to max level. Get to max level and waste into oblivion. This game offers one week of fun, 2 or 3 for casual players, until you realise you've been punked. Then you linger on because you're a trek fan and you just can't believe this is all there is. Expand
  7. Feb 22, 2012
    I decided to come back to this after buying on launch originally a couple of years ago. Originally I played for about 2 weeks before becoming bored with the repetitive and buggy experience. By now the game should be in better shape, right? First the good. The space warfare is fun. For a time. Now the bad. Over the course of the couple of years since launch it actually appears to haveI decided to come back to this after buying on launch originally a couple of years ago. Originally I played for about 2 weeks before becoming bored with the repetitive and buggy experience. By now the game should be in better shape, right? First the good. The space warfare is fun. For a time. Now the bad. Over the course of the couple of years since launch it actually appears to have become MORE buggy. How this has been accomplished I have no idea, but the situation is so bad I actually started to suspect some kind of corporate-espionage style sabotage. Over the course of my two days replaying, here is SOME of what I discovered.

1. Certain HUD tooltip elements don't deactivate on mouseover properly, instead flickering in a seizure-inducing manner. 2. The speed control slider moves up and down of its own accord at inopportune moments.

3. Gas cloud texture maps are broken

4. Away team members vanish without explanation on occasion

5. Keyboard shortcuts for abilities sometimes don't work - and I mean don't work at all, not just a long delay.

6. If you 'pin to taskbar' the game icon then try to launch the game from it, it will appear to work until the point of login, when the game will freeze at "connecting to account server". I noticed several people on the STO forums complaining about this and not realising it was related to the 'pin to taskbar' function. They were simply fobbed off or insulted.

7. Planets sometimes appear as transparent circles, showing the starfield behind

8. NPCs vanish (which is annoying when they are required to finish a quest)

9. Invisible phaser beams from invisible enemies sometimes shoot you and your team

Now I'm bored. **** game, forget it.
  8. Nov 19, 2012
    What an absolute waste of my time. Do you like varied missions? Do you like doing more than engaging in repetitive and mundane space battles over and over and over again without having the option to skip or use stealth to achieve objectives without resorting to combat? Well then look elsewhere, friend. Sure it looks pretty enough and has lots of customizing options, but that's where theWhat an absolute waste of my time. Do you like varied missions? Do you like doing more than engaging in repetitive and mundane space battles over and over and over again without having the option to skip or use stealth to achieve objectives without resorting to combat? Well then look elsewhere, friend. Sure it looks pretty enough and has lots of customizing options, but that's where the appeal ends. This is a Star Trek game for those who hate nuance, intelligence, or diplomatic solutions. This is only for those who want to fight over and over and over again. If you want real Star Trek, dig up Bridge Commander. You'll have plenty more fun than in Cryptic's piece of trash. Expand
  9. Feb 24, 2012
    It starts out with a character generation system outdated by much more than the game's actual age, goes on with a completely heart- and soulless tutorial, an interface that is not only confusing and uncomfortable to use, but also incredibly ugly and leads into mediocre gameplay and horrid graphics. I am incredibly relieved that this game is free to play now, for I could hardly stomach howIt starts out with a character generation system outdated by much more than the game's actual age, goes on with a completely heart- and soulless tutorial, an interface that is not only confusing and uncomfortable to use, but also incredibly ugly and leads into mediocre gameplay and horrid graphics. I am incredibly relieved that this game is free to play now, for I could hardly stomach how it must feel to have spent money on this. I'd have to get paid to play it and I'd have to get paid even more to recommend it without swallowing my tongue. Simply horrible and a shame even for the Star Trek franchise. Expand
  10. DennisU
    Feb 4, 2010
    Very disappointing to a die-hard Trekkie that really looked forward to this. Cryptic got one very fundamental and important thing completely and utterly wrong. Star Trek is about exploration. "To reach out to new life and new civilizations, and to boldly go where no man has gone before." Star Trek Online is all combat, combat, combat, combat, more combat, and even more combat. There is no Very disappointing to a die-hard Trekkie that really looked forward to this. Cryptic got one very fundamental and important thing completely and utterly wrong. Star Trek is about exploration. "To reach out to new life and new civilizations, and to boldly go where no man has gone before." Star Trek Online is all combat, combat, combat, combat, more combat, and even more combat. There is no exploration. Don't get me wrong. I thought the combat, especially the ship fights, was fun, if a bit unrealistic. One lone Federation ship cannot defeat 9 Klingon ships (3 at a time, but still), especially when those ships are warships. Sure, Star Trek is a bit unrealistic, but it has always had a tinge of realism that made you go "That could actually be our future." I did not get this feeling for a moment while playing Star Trek Online. The leveling system wasn't bad, and was a good tie-in to the actual ranks. The graphics were amazing, for what little actually had to be done. You are mostly limited to being in orbit of a planet when in space, while the "Sector Space" - the space where you pick what system you want to go to - was big but felt too much like a "Level Select" to me. Having to buy the Klingon and Ferrengi races (Note: I may not be understanding the method of obtaining C-Points correctly), and only offering the freed Borg as a perk to buying a Lifetime subscription, rubbed me the wrong way as well. All in all, Star Trek Online is an incredibly disappointing game that focuses far and beyond too much on combat and not on what Star Trek is really all about: Exploration. I will not be renewing after the free month. Expand
  11. Nov 15, 2012
    This game really had promise one it was out from under the thumb of Atari's negligence. But barely a year from being purchased by the Chinese game company Perfect World, the game has devolved into an asian cashgrab grinder. Expect to grind for months at endgame to (moderately) progress your character, unless you want to buy the in-game currency which everything now costs. The Season 7This game really had promise one it was out from under the thumb of Atari's negligence. But barely a year from being purchased by the Chinese game company Perfect World, the game has devolved into an asian cashgrab grinder. Expect to grind for months at endgame to (moderately) progress your character, unless you want to buy the in-game currency which everything now costs. The Season 7 update leaves even the Ferengi in awe. Expand
  12. JohnDoe
    Feb 11, 2010
    This is game completely miss what Star Trek franchise was about. It only looks like star trek on the surface under the hood it everything that made the shows great. And manages to mess up all the other things it tried to do to make it fun. Ground combat is a joke, the space ship combat could be fun expect that all the super hero powered ships seem to encourage button mashing spam. The This is game completely miss what Star Trek franchise was about. It only looks like star trek on the surface under the hood it everything that made the shows great. And manages to mess up all the other things it tried to do to make it fun. Ground combat is a joke, the space ship combat could be fun expect that all the super hero powered ships seem to encourage button mashing spam. The crafting is bad joke. And so just about everything else about this game. Expand
  13. RichardS
    Mar 25, 2010
    Realism is key for me in games, as I am a hardcore gamer, and a Trekie to boot. To me, this MMO is a poor execution of everything Star Trek means to me. I have a list of things I don't like, most of which people have mentioned already. -scale of star systems: according to the game, it is only a couple dozen kilometers from a planet and it's moon/asteroid belt (!?!). Asteroid Realism is key for me in games, as I am a hardcore gamer, and a Trekie to boot. To me, this MMO is a poor execution of everything Star Trek means to me. I have a list of things I don't like, most of which people have mentioned already. -scale of star systems: according to the game, it is only a couple dozen kilometers from a planet and it's moon/asteroid belt (!?!). Asteroid belts don't orbit planets. In STO every planet has asteroids, it kinda got to me. No reason not to die. No economy. (WoW clone type economy doesn't count in my book) Repetitive everything. No reason to buy stuff, everything is dropped by loot or mission reward. No reason to socialize. Frankly, no reason to play. :( Things I liked: phasers and photon torpedoes.... ground combat the first few times. Expand
  14. KajT
    Feb 4, 2010
    Your generic quest/grind MMOG. The multiplayer elements are completely ignorable as it is solo game by design with co-op elements added in. Not really impressed as it just like many other MMOGs out there right now who have already perfected their genre. I guess if you're a fan of the new age star trek (enterprise, the new movie and such) this is for you, older trekkies will find too Your generic quest/grind MMOG. The multiplayer elements are completely ignorable as it is solo game by design with co-op elements added in. Not really impressed as it just like many other MMOGs out there right now who have already perfected their genre. I guess if you're a fan of the new age star trek (enterprise, the new movie and such) this is for you, older trekkies will find too many plot holes and retcons of the older series. TL:DR This game would be worth it if it were free, however the monthly fee is not worth it. Expand
  15. ivanr
    Feb 8, 2010
    This game is a shame. It has no StarTrek at all. It is all combat, at space mainly, even the combat at ground is bad. I admit the space combat is fun to play, but all is space combat, no exploration, no diplomacy, no Star Trek at all. The skill system is useless. What is the point in having four officers with a punch of skills to level up, when you can only use five or six skills at This game is a shame. It has no StarTrek at all. It is all combat, at space mainly, even the combat at ground is bad. I admit the space combat is fun to play, but all is space combat, no exploration, no diplomacy, no Star Trek at all. The skill system is useless. What is the point in having four officers with a punch of skills to level up, when you can only use five or six skills at maximum? It has no sense to raise for example 2 space skills per officer when you can only use 5. The missions are mainly go there and get an object, or go there and kill those guys. The klingon faction is a waste of time, no fun missions, no content, just a bit of pvp with a painful difficult level. Stay away from this game please. Expand
  16. DaveB
    Feb 11, 2010
    Some really nice visuals, but the game itself is horrible. Every mission falls into 2 catagories - 1) fly a couple of patrols killing ships at each waypoint (about 90 percent of the time) and 2) going to a planet and playing a very badly designed 1st person shooter (about 10 percent of the time). The space combat is not 3d, and is so mindless you might as well be shooting at a block - the Some really nice visuals, but the game itself is horrible. Every mission falls into 2 catagories - 1) fly a couple of patrols killing ships at each waypoint (about 90 percent of the time) and 2) going to a planet and playing a very badly designed 1st person shooter (about 10 percent of the time). The space combat is not 3d, and is so mindless you might as well be shooting at a block - the ground combat is so buggy and mindless you just need to turn on autoshoot and walk forward an inch every 40 seconds or so. Stay far away from this one folks, your gaming money is better spent on something worthy. Expand
  17. Nov 26, 2012
    The S7 Update is the clearest indication that STO is a Pay to Win game. Every aspect of advancement at End Game requires an epicly slow grind. Comrade DSthal is Overlord of Grind and Dementing Returns. STO will never be the same, it is a fraud for them to claim to be F2P.
  18. Oct 14, 2014
    This game continues to sicken me with every new expansion. The developers are putting out mediocre game cause the items are generally bugged. The company that manages the game is so money hungry and greedy it's just insane not to mention customer service means nothing to them. If you don't mind forking out thousands of dollars on a 'free to play' game then by all means or don't mindThis game continues to sicken me with every new expansion. The developers are putting out mediocre game cause the items are generally bugged. The company that manages the game is so money hungry and greedy it's just insane not to mention customer service means nothing to them. If you don't mind forking out thousands of dollars on a 'free to play' game then by all means or don't mind spending months online hours a day doing the same thing over and over go for it...if you a real gamer just find something else. Expand
  19. Nov 7, 2012
    Uggg. Another game with great potential and a background story that is unique. Again we have another game with stale mechanics. If you made the graphics neutral you could probably swap this out for LOTR Online and have the same game. The linear quest lines have been dated for over a decade now. It is a shame the makers couldn't give this title some originality instead of just banking on the name.
  20. Jun 3, 2012
    WOW game mechanics like linear progression, tank-nuker-healer, taints every opinion I have on a game; basically I loath it. I've been there, done that, and I don't want to do it anymore.
  21. Aug 17, 2013
    I shall be concise.

I have been with the game since alpha. I quit it a year ago. I have a founder life-time account. I have spent $1,961 on the game. Yes, I was a sucker to do it. Learned my lesson the hard and painful way. As a free game, it is somewhat reasonable. Decent graphics, decent space combat and ground combat. But the game never went anywhere and never will. Eventually,
    I shall be concise.

I have been with the game since alpha. I quit it a year ago.

Eventually, it is a repetitive treadmill grind at best. Now it's becoming more so than ever.

It is not worth your money!!!

Cryptic Studios mistreat their customers and treat their players as cash-cows to milk. The game has bugs which were never treated. Indefinite customer complaints which were ignored. Broken promises which are repeated since beta. The list goes on.
    There is just not enough room here to begin to detail how poorly the game is hang together by spit and gum and how horribly they manage their community and abuse their players.
    Lets not even mention how they trample and pee over the Star Trek franchise, incase you're an actual fan.

Thus my suggestion: if you want a free ride, go on and enjoy it. But never spend a dime on it. It doesn't deserve it and it will only make you regret it.

Post scriptum:
    Worthy of note that the Community is also rife with douchebags and whiners.
  22. Dec 4, 2013
    Pardon me, but Cryptic. I am a huge fan of ST, particularly Voyager. I was wondering how will they achieve the meaning of ST exploring. Well... They didn't. Such a small effort was put in this that it makes me sick. They made a single player shooting game. This is an online game with almost 0 multiplayer options. Although this is a mockery to star trek, after I haven't played a whilePardon me, but Cryptic. I am a huge fan of ST, particularly Voyager. I was wondering how will they achieve the meaning of ST exploring. Well... They didn't. Such a small effort was put in this that it makes me sick. They made a single player shooting game. This is an online game with almost 0 multiplayer options. Although this is a mockery to star trek, after I haven't played a while this game, I wanted again to drive the intrepid few more times. Well I couldn't, because Cryptic banned my account for some reason and wouldn't give me it back. Pathetic as they are, they even don't respect their players.

I'll give it a 1, only because I can't give a 0 to something that has"Star Trek" in it's name.
  23. MadV
    Feb 14, 2010
    I actually liked the ground combat better. I mean they put so much work into the character creation and if you know how to play right some of the battles are exciting. The ship stuff is boring and always the same. It's always taking place with a different skybox and you use the same set of abilities. You move to slow even with the abilities like evasive maneuvers to feel like I actually liked the ground combat better. I mean they put so much work into the character creation and if you know how to play right some of the battles are exciting. The ship stuff is boring and always the same. It's always taking place with a different skybox and you use the same set of abilities. You move to slow even with the abilities like evasive maneuvers to feel like it's got any form of action. Most of all I wanted the space aspect to take place from the bridge with a little more depth then a high end flash game that is ultimately is. Too many "i" people working on this, ruined it. It would have been great if the space combat took place from the bridge and the ground combat just had a little more variety. Expand
  24. Jul 28, 2012
    Now 2 years and 8 months since the game has launched and nearly 2 years since my initial review. In that time STO has not improved much. Failing in a subscription model Cryptic/PWE switched to a F2P model. Unlike many other F2P models, this one is a blatant cash grab and none of the transaction can be considered "micro". As far as content and systems go, nothing from my previousNow 2 years and 8 months since the game has launched and nearly 2 years since my initial review. In that time STO has not improved much. Failing in a subscription model Cryptic/PWE switched to a F2P model. Unlike many other F2P models, this one is a blatant cash grab and none of the transaction can be considered "micro". As far as content and systems go, nothing from my previous review has been addressed such as exploration, crafting PvP, factional systems, etc... leaving these important game systems in poor shape. In addition, the player-base has received word that the Feature Episode Series has been canceled, these missions were highly acclaimed by the player base. The only deep system the game has is the Duty Officer System, the new Fleet System was recently introduced but is indicative of the heavy grind found in asian MMO's where the reward is hardly worth the effort placed into it. From here, I will review the game's new season, Season 6 Under Seige. With $7 costumes to $20, you can only get per character, and lottery boxes with poor rewards abounding, the direction of economic model of this game will cause its ultimate failure. Season 6 took nearly 8 months to develop and while the system and generally the artwork are great, the poor content, rewards, and buggy aspects far out-shadow anything good. The monitization hooks abound in the Fleet System with some estimates saying the dollar cost of a fully functional Starbase is $1,500. The introduction of Season 6 came plagued with game breaking bugs to the Foundry, exchange, mail system, combat system to which Cryptic has been slow to respond to. In all, Season 6 has a good foundation that was poorly capitalized on by Cryptic. Even though this "shoot-em-up" version of the Star Trek Universe is F2P, I would recommend passing until the game could be fleshed out more. Expand
  25. Xextreem
    Feb 17, 2010
    Worst game ever. Already beat the game. Nothing special on this. Don`t buy it wase of money. Crypt = money $$$$. Don`t fall in this crapy game its not even close to a "standerd" mmorpg. Its more Starfleet command 4 not star trek online. However if you buy don`t cry. The misions are at 1 point nice if you follow the "story line"but when hit the maxs level its all about pvp/patrol misions. Worst game ever. Already beat the game. Nothing special on this. Don`t buy it wase of money. Crypt = money $$$$. Don`t fall in this crapy game its not even close to a "standerd" mmorpg. Its more Starfleet command 4 not star trek online. However if you buy don`t cry. The misions are at 1 point nice if you follow the "story line"but when hit the maxs level its all about pvp/patrol misions. And let me say its real borring. I know i will go on the bad light but let me say this i have warn you. Don`t fall in this crap like i do. Even i have buy the Special edition and life time subscribe "yah stupid" so let me say don`t fal. Expand
  26. JamesH
    Feb 11, 2010
    The game fails to deliver in many many ways. But, mostly its just devoid of content. The combat system is 'ok' in space.. but, its basically rehashed City of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online. Also, the developers have done a poor job of engaging the community. If you played SW:G at release... then, as bad as that was, STO is worse. If the game didn't have the Star Trek The game fails to deliver in many many ways. But, mostly its just devoid of content. The combat system is 'ok' in space.. but, its basically rehashed City of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online. Also, the developers have done a poor job of engaging the community. If you played SW:G at release... then, as bad as that was, STO is worse. If the game didn't have the Star Trek IP... it would have no playerbase at all, in my opinion. Expand
  27. ScottS
    Feb 10, 2010
    Space combat is something other games can look to take a bit from; not too complex to make you want to rip your hair out, but just enough to make you want more. Ground is boring to say the least; Nothing real ground breaking, for the most part I feel like I'm playing WoW back at level 30(lack of abilities and major difference in characters). The biggest killer is the fact that yet Space combat is something other games can look to take a bit from; not too complex to make you want to rip your hair out, but just enough to make you want more. Ground is boring to say the least; Nothing real ground breaking, for the most part I feel like I'm playing WoW back at level 30(lack of abilities and major difference in characters). The biggest killer is the fact that yet again if you buy it your paying $60 for beta. Zero foresight to at least make the first few weeks bearable. No content to ease leveling for Klingons. And to top it all off the NPCs in the klingon area feel like they dont even have a lootable. I collected more loot in the first 6 levels of the Fed area than in the next 10 levels in the klingon area. Tons of potential but im not paying for the next 3 months to wait for cryptic to release patches to bring the game to "release" status. Expand
  28. RalphC
    Feb 14, 2010
    Game gets a 4 simply due to the storyline missions...of which there isn't enough and they are spread too thin. "Finished" the game in under 5 days /played. At max level, can only do "daily" missions, which are literally on a 24 hour timer...and of which there is *one* of. (The other, at the time of this writing is broken...pvp for feds) The klingon side, which would be the Game gets a 4 simply due to the storyline missions...of which there isn't enough and they are spread too thin. "Finished" the game in under 5 days /played. At max level, can only do "daily" missions, which are literally on a 24 hour timer...and of which there is *one* of. (The other, at the time of this writing is broken...pvp for feds) The klingon side, which would be the pvpers...is drying up as well. Last night's queues: 97 fed, 4 klingons. 75 fed, 2 klingons. 55 fed, 0 klingons. etc. This was for space missions....ground missions had 20+ feds waiting, and 0 klingons across the board. Cryptic blew it AGAIN. I will NOT be giving them any more money, ever. The "bait" of the 45 day patch is crap too. Expand
  29. MikeS
    Feb 2, 2010
    Buggy, laggy, and not fun. Yet another game that imitates a MMO in order to charge a monthly fee yet offers no incentive or motivation to actually team up to accomplish a task. Why are there games that do more for multiplayer while not charging a fee? Cryptic excels at squandering potential when it comes to game design.
  30. John
    Mar 2, 2010
    For a Star Trek game there is NOTHING about this game that is Star Trek but it's look. After 10 days of playing i had cleared ALL content on the federation side. Cleared all content in 10 days of an MMO, WOW! No diplomacy No exploration (what they have is a joke) Combat TOTALLY untrue to Star Trek. (ya. i was blowing up Negh'var Klingon Battleships in a 200 year old Miranda For a Star Trek game there is NOTHING about this game that is Star Trek but it's look. After 10 days of playing i had cleared ALL content on the federation side. Cleared all content in 10 days of an MMO, WOW! No diplomacy No exploration (what they have is a joke) Combat TOTALLY untrue to Star Trek. (ya. i was blowing up Negh'var Klingon Battleships in a 200 year old Miranda class.) I could go on listing massive issues with this game and its relation to Star Trek for a while. It really is that bad and i couldn't be more sad about this outcome. A game i had been waiting for for 10 years. A game I wish steam would give me my money back on. If you like mindless almost endless combat, this game is for you! If your looking for a Star Trek game, this one is FAR from it. Expand

1. This is as fine a[n] homage to one of Sci-fi's great franchises a[s] you can get in an MMO format.
  2. Despite all of these complaints, those hordes of starship captains are quite happy. They may not have many different things to do, and the missions and UI may be rather buggy, but there does seem to be enough content to sustain them - at least until the endgame - and even at its worst that content is knockabout fun with more instant appeal, and more suitability for casual, short-session, low-commitment play than most MMOs.
    It is one of the worthier options among the titles which try to compete with WoW, and the one that has convinced us the most to date.