Star Trek Online PC

6.2

1. dd
    Feb 24, 2010
    I would echo the thoughts of charlie as STO is a great take on the Star Trek universe. Incredible for fans of ST and of all Sci-fi. Difference of space combat vs ground is nice. PvP, PvE, etc. all welcome. However, Cryptic must devote some amount of time continuing to develop this title as it does suffer from some shallow aspects and some general bugs and unfinished areas. That said, as a I would echo the thoughts of charlie as STO is a great take on the Star Trek universe. Incredible for fans of ST and of all Sci-fi. Difference of space combat vs ground is nice. PvP, PvE, etc. all welcome. However, Cryptic must devote some amount of time continuing to develop this title as it does suffer from some shallow aspects and some general bugs and unfinished areas. That said, as a fan of the series and of sci-fi MMOs in general, this is a genre that is sorely needed with the glut of WoW and DnD clones perpetually on the market. As it stands, I give it an 8 for a classic theme, sci-fi bent of RPG, and quality of play and variety. If cryptic fully supports this game and continues to release content and upgrades, it could definitely move into the 10 range for me. I will be playing and hanging around to see if that happens. No more swords and sorcery for me for a while! Expand
  2. DekanD
    Feb 18, 2010
    I believe most people agree that the space combat components are the best part of this game (other than the eye candy that is the spacely environment). I myself found the ground combat interesting and it's refreshing to not have to be dependant on other players to accomplish group missions. It's nice to be able to either play with your friends or make your own away team, so I believe most people agree that the space combat components are the best part of this game (other than the eye candy that is the spacely environment). I myself found the ground combat interesting and it's refreshing to not have to be dependant on other players to accomplish group missions. It's nice to be able to either play with your friends or make your own away team, so regardless of your situation you have the basic components to almost every MMO. I also find that gearing up two different Avatars is an addictive concept. Gear is easy enough to get and progresses at a rate similar to leveling. The big down side to this game is the extremely predictable quest line. It has a very elementary feel to it. Expand
  3. Jul 20, 2013
    I joined this game only after it's transition to the Free-to-play model and am basing my review off of that experience.

For a free-to-play MMO, this game is well above average. The production values, music, and what little voice acting there is, is excellent quality. The game feels quite polished, and for a starship junkie like me, the ships all look fantastic. The main quest chain is gripping and enjoyable, and makes leveling a breeze; a good balance of investment and reward as you level a character.

The lifetime subscription to this game is quite a bargain at $200 USD, which equates to about 13 months of game time of a typical $15/month MMO, and will unlock everything that f2p players cannot access without microtransaction.

In contrast to other free-to-play MMOs, the microtransactions in this game are kept to a minimum; all purchases made from the Cash shop are entirely cosmetic, having little to no impact on actual gameplay, and are not necessary in any situation to progress your character. In addition, an in-game currency called Dilithium can be converted in large amounts to cash shop credit, offering a cheaper alternative for those who don't wish to spend cash, but spend a lot of time playing.

The space combat in this game is excellent. You have direct control over your ship and it's stations, with everything being laid out in front of you, and basic starship command is very intuitive. The controls are tight and concise, and is easily my favorite part about my STO experience.

Ground combat is another story, however. On the ground, your skills are wildly different from that in space (of course), and your efficiency on the ground will be defined entirely by your away team (your group of starship officers that follow you to the ground). Ground combat is wildly more difficult than space combat, with much more focus on movement, equipment, environmental hazards, and multiple groups of powerful enemies. Coupled with the rather basic shoot-em-up feel of mashing your weapon attack, ground missions will wear out their welcome to most.

The game's loose storyline and setting stays very true to old canon, commonly alluding to the stories and experiences of James Kirk, Jean Luc Picard, and even Kathryn Janeway in their respective series as you explore the galaxy.

Exploration itself, however, is somewhat lacking. For a world as open as this one, the experiences you'll have among sectors and it's planets is mostly predictable and simple. Almost all missions consist of no more than destroying some ships, or scanning some structures. While an over-arcing story helps break the monotony or tie things together, most open-world encounters have no larger plot or worthwhile reward for time invested, making them more akin to little mini-episodes and slightly less gripping as a result.

If you're one for playing solo, you will quickly discover that upon reaching level cap and completing the official episodes, you will have very little to do. In comparison to other MMOs, the amount of group content is scant at best, and repeating the same few group events dozens of times may quickly wear thin. I personally suggest you play this game with friends, or join a role-playing fleet (guild) to keep entertained and break the monotony of grinding the same few events all day every day.

All MMOs have some grind in them; STO's problem is that there is no variety on what you can grind. If you want to be a Borg-slayer and join that NPC faction, you'll be running 5 of the same events for months. If you want to assist the Romulans, you'll have a lifetime of ground missions (primarily babysitting and kill-quests) to run around doing.

However I can't be too harsh. For a free-to-play, this game is definitely better than most. It's enjoyable moreso with friends well polished, and a great game for Star Trek fans who've always wanted to run around inside their ships, or sit at the helm and fight among the stars.

I find the game very high quality, personally, but the community is among the ugliest I've seen in any MMO to date. Every online game has it's elitists, it's dev-haters, and stop-having-fun crowd, but STO's community seems to house of the most intense of all of these. You can bet any "problems" with the game will be loudly vocalized, and when the servers are brought down to repair said problem, you can expect to see an equal amount of hatred directed towards the developers for the unstable servers.

Community can be filtered out, however, and basing my score solely off what I get from the game, I can rest with an 8.
  4. Apr 24, 2013
    Solid Game, Free to play, and full level up without paying anything. Fleets, VERY good story missions. Ground and Space Combat, Crafting, Character Creator, Looting, everything in it what it needs.

And the best part, Prime-Timeline. The original Star Trek, as i love it. It has bugs, and the controls could be better. The support is not bad. Graphics are decent. I really enjoy this

I really enjoy this game still, after 2 years of playing it.
  5. Sep 21, 2014
    STO isn't perfect, but it has really come a long way since launch is is one of my all time favorite games. Two of my favorite features:

1) completely free to play: you can play every single mission in the game for free, and new expansions are also free. Not only that, but you can even get any item you want from the game store for free by trading in game currency for game store currency with other players.

2) unlimited content: STO has a system called the foundry that lets players create their own missions and share them with other players. This means I have a brand new mission that I have never played before to look forward to every single time I log in. I will never run out of new missions to do, which is wild.

But hey, don't take my word for it. The game is free to play, so try it yourself and thank me later =P
  6. MaggieP
    Feb 3, 2010
    First impression; The game is really complicated. I am, however, really enjoying it. I find that I am able to fill my inventory with unknown objects, quest, and read tutorials, in very tolerable doses. I've only been playing for a few days, but so far so good.
  7. RyanD
    Feb 8, 2010
    Star Trek Online is a blast to play from the very start. You'll command your own starship within an hour. You will be blasting Borg, Klingons, and Orions left and right. Strange new worlds and familiar sights await you. This game is very faithful to Star Trek canon. All series and all movies but Star Trek 5 are accounted for. (ST 5 is an abomination) Some downsides: The game is very Star Trek Online is a blast to play from the very start. You'll command your own starship within an hour. You will be blasting Borg, Klingons, and Orions left and right. Strange new worlds and familiar sights await you. This game is very faithful to Star Trek canon. All series and all movies but Star Trek 5 are accounted for. (ST 5 is an abomination) Some downsides: The game is very buggy when it comes to ground combat on stations but not planets. Currently the Cardassian and Romulan factions are not playable since they are being held until an expansion comes out. Still, this is a game every Trek fan should check out. Tribbles included. Expand
  8. BrianR
    Feb 11, 2010
    If I haven't played them all I've played many of the more interesting MMOs out there. Eve Online, Star Wars Galaxies and Lord of the Rings Online all rank in time I've spent living there. For a roleplayer, like me, a game's about living an experience as much as gaming the mechanics. Star Trek Online definitely ranks up with Lord of The Rings Online in an attempt to If I haven't played them all I've played many of the more interesting MMOs out there. Eve Online, Star Wars Galaxies and Lord of the Rings Online all rank in time I've spent living there. For a roleplayer, like me, a game's about living an experience as much as gaming the mechanics. Star Trek Online definitely ranks up with Lord of The Rings Online in an attempt to capture the feel the setting and, more, it incorporates some unique gameplay elements to that end. Space combat feels much like a more simplified but fun, action packed, version of Star Trek games like Starfleet Command. Ground combat has the potential to be tactically interesting as you groom your bridge crew/away team in skills they'll need to help you succeed. There's more than a little X-Com-like attachment to your guys and, well, even more because they can be customized in name and appearance and possess four unique traits beyond skills alone that define their abilities. There's exploration in several clusters that offer a small variety of randomized mission types in a large variety of different graphical environments. More needs to be done here but for daily, pick up n' play, content no MMO comes close to being this entertaining as it is for casual gamers. There's already a big roleplaying community and the influx of dedicated Trekkers certainly helps. While we have ship bridges they're largely non-functional breakrooms and hangouts. There is no bridgeview combat or travel yet and certainly it seems hard to imagine multiplayer ships will be in soon. For those so inclined there is PvP, including a barebones Klingon faction, and one minor Raid instance. In the next update the Klingons are going to get much more PvE and more Raid will be introduced. A continuing sticking point is the sheer amount of combat in the game. While this fits Cryptic's vision of a Federation at war it's not necessarily the kind of Federation many Star Trek fans are comfortable with. The developers have indicated they're definitely expanding on the non-combat aspects and this will be focused into the Exploration/Genesis content. Overall, I'm having a ball and I've been here since Open Beta. Get with some friends that love the setting as much as you do and you'll have fun. STO's not perfect yet but there's room for growth in so many directions and no great flaws that will keep it from getting better with time. Expand
  9. Mar 5, 2012
    I don't play MMO's but I am a Star Trek fan. When Online went free to play, I decided it was time to check it out. The first thing I noticed was how easily I fell into the world. The development team does an excellent job of convincing you you're in the universe. The introductions and segues by Spock are helpful. As far as being a quality experience for free, your experience is prettyI don't play MMO's but I am a Star Trek fan. When Online went free to play, I decided it was time to check it out. The first thing I noticed was how easily I fell into the world. The development team does an excellent job of convincing you you're in the universe. The introductions and segues by Spock are helpful. As far as being a quality experience for free, your experience is pretty amazing for no cost save some space on your computer. The difficulty can be variable and so can the quality of some of the missions, but the story missions are pretty engaging and well though out. The highlight is the foundry, in which fans create awesome missions that occasionally rival those of the STO team. It's a quality experience, but can occasionally become repetitive or feel limiting based upon "classes". If you're a Star Trek fan, do yourself a favor and give it an hour. You'll be hooked in for the next week, at least. Expand
  10. Jan 3, 2012
    I have fallen in love with this game, though she is not perfect, what game is. I am a Science Fiction fan, not just a Trekkie, just wanted to throw that info out there. By far, the greatest thing this game has going for it, is great space combat. The Graphics are great, with many beautifully built space and ground zones, well above many other popular MMOs.
    Character customization, the
    Character customization, the level of detail you can go into with just creating your character was daunting at first, but once i got a handle on the vast number of slide bar settings, you would be squeal with glee at how precise you can replicate some of your favorite actors/family/whoever, with this character creator. Huge number ships available also, with many very degrees of customization available. The Foundry. Have you ever wanted to make your missions and raids in one of your favorite games? In STO, you can. Some of the Player Created content/missions I have played, you would think it should have been on the television, being advertised for "Next Weeks Episode of Star Trek" they are so well made and written.
    Now a few bad parts.
    The Foundry. What?!?! I just said it was great thing right? It is, but... Since it was introduced there has been little to no improvements made to it. There seems to be little Developer support keeping it running right, as the Foundry system itself was actually made as a Cryptic Developers tool for their upcoming Neverwinter game, and them bringing it to STO was really more of a testing of the system.
    The Graphics. What?!? I said the graphics are great? They are, but not so if unless you have a very up to date computer to play with. Otherwise you have to reduce your graphic setting and don't get to enjoy just how beautiful this game is.
    The Klingon faction. Often refered to as "that other faction", has been, until very recently, severely neglected. As a consequence, only about 20% of the player base play on the Klingon side. The brighter side of the sad story is that small player percentage is extremely loyal to their Klingon characters, and they really enjoy being at least partially "in character" all the time, which deeply helps with the immersion factor. Another not so good thing that happened for/to the Klingons, was the recent release of 10 new ships to be flown. Good! Except they are all Game Store ships that require purchase. Another thing wrong, is the lacking of costume options for the Klingons. While the Federation players enjoy about 20 Game store purchasable costume options, on top of a large number of free ones, The Klingons have 1, and only a few free costume options. The Federation characters can show the personal body armors that they are wearing, Klingons can not.
    (see how I went on about the Klingon faction? I told you we were a loyal bunch)
    There are some persistant game bugs, but most games have those, and nothing especially game breaking, except for one bug that is currently effecting Klingon progress.
    Star Trek Online is going free to play on January 17th, I certainly hope you will at least come and take a look, and judge for yourself.
  11. Jul 22, 2012
    I've play this game a long time. I like this game and I can't say it have any mis take. This game is good change from games like Battlestar Galactica online. It's not same and this is a reason why is it so good. I'm not so good at speech so I don't have any ideas what I can say. Finaly: This game is awesome and I would to invite everyone who like Star Trek or "space ships games".
  12. Aug 3, 2013
    I think this is the only game where you can own a starship, fight in space and then take a select crew of officers and fight on planets as well. Also, the only game that seems to have improved consistently over time. Many of the reviewers need to do a re-review of this. Everything you can get for premium currency you can also grind off in-game currency. there are no hard limits to what aI think this is the only game where you can own a starship, fight in space and then take a select crew of officers and fight on planets as well. Also, the only game that seems to have improved consistently over time. Many of the reviewers need to do a re-review of this. Everything you can get for premium currency you can also grind off in-game currency. there are no hard limits to what a free and paying player can thus achieve (except of course a paying player gets it faster). Leveling is easy in my opinion and there's lots to do. I'm a solo player, but this game is best enjoyed with a group of friends who can play together when they hit level cap. This is also the only mmo I play that I leave and then return to over and over... The only problem perhaps is the fact that this game is heavily instanced, with set locations so no feel of one of Star Treks core values, 'Exploration', can be readily experienced. Though I suppose events and such may simulate that. I fully expect the game to get even better with ongoing updates and such. Expand
  13. GeorgeM
    Mar 1, 2010
    I love the game. The space combat is considerably better than EVE and requires maneuvering and positioning to be successful. The ground combat could be better and the pathfinding is annoying as your bridge officers can often get stuck. The different mission types are refreshing as well since not all require shooting something to achieve the objectives. I still don't know what all the I love the game. The space combat is considerably better than EVE and requires maneuvering and positioning to be successful. The ground combat could be better and the pathfinding is annoying as your bridge officers can often get stuck. The different mission types are refreshing as well since not all require shooting something to achieve the objectives. I still don't know what all the ship equipment does but it's fun learning how to get more performance out of what you do have. The gameplay can get repetitive but you can always get more missions that require exploration if you tire of just shooting things. Expand
  14. MikeH
    Feb 10, 2010
    I have been with the game since open beta. The game has definatly evolved through beta and now that its live its a totally different game. The space battles have become more challenging, requiring more of a tactical approach. The ground missions break up the monotone of space but still need some polish. I like the game and I feel it has alot of potential, but we are a long ways from that.
  15. BrentD
    Feb 12, 2010
    I have played the game since closed beta and I still love the game. The space combat and graphics are excellent. The ground combat reminds me of city of heroes, but the option to flank, set up ambushes and minefields makes it a bit better. The setup of the game allows for future missions and capabilities to be added without much need for the expansion packs of world of warcraft, just a I have played the game since closed beta and I still love the game. The space combat and graphics are excellent. The ground combat reminds me of city of heroes, but the option to flank, set up ambushes and minefields makes it a bit better. The setup of the game allows for future missions and capabilities to be added without much need for the expansion packs of world of warcraft, just a simple update. Coming from someone who played world of warcraft, this game is superior. Expand
  16. Feb 3, 2012
    I tried STO during release and left less than a month into the game. It was horrible. When the recent change to a free to play model was announced, I was curious as to what changes had been made. I reactivated my account and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at all the changes to the space missions and especially the ground missions. Space combat in STO is the strongest appeal theI tried STO during release and left less than a month into the game. It was horrible. When the recent change to a free to play model was announced, I was curious as to what changes had been made. I reactivated my account and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at all the changes to the space missions and especially the ground missions. Space combat in STO is the strongest appeal the game has. It is unlikely that STO will ever be a mainstream game, but if you are a Star Trek fan, then you should really enjoy STO at this point. Expand
  17. CharlieL
    Feb 2, 2010
    I thought this game was a great take on the Star Trek license! My friends and I are still having a great time with it. I love the customizable ships too. The combination of ground and space combat is a great addition to the MMO genre.
  18. MasonLt
    Feb 4, 2010
    I give this game an 8 and not a 10 because there are 2 areas where this game clearly lacks. The ground combat is boring and is this is a multi-player game. And yet it focuses on the single player experience. That being said the good points are.. The space combat is like nothing you've played before in a MMO. Its thrilling and fast paced. The idea of having other characters you can I give this game an 8 and not a 10 because there are 2 areas where this game clearly lacks. The ground combat is boring and is this is a multi-player game. And yet it focuses on the single player experience. That being said the good points are.. The space combat is like nothing you've played before in a MMO. Its thrilling and fast paced. The idea of having other characters you can give orders too and level up is a novel idea and it works really well. Lastly but not least, It is Star Trek after all. If you like star trek then you'll like this. If you love star trek then you'll love this. final comments are its a fun tactical mmorpg with some clear failings but dont let that spoil your fun. Expand
  19. AndrewB
    Feb 7, 2010
    Pretty good game. It could still use a lot of work and polish, but it's got a solid foundation. Space combat is REALLY fun, but ground combat could definitely use some work. The customization of your ships, avatar, and even officers is really amazing.
  20. J.A
    Feb 7, 2010
    It's got some way to go before I could honestly give it a 9; it needs more content and bug-fixing. But the game itself I enjoy, including the ground segments that other people seem to dislike. It's also apparent that they put a lot of work into making this a canonical sequel to Nemesis (and the start of Star Trek XI), and they should be applauded for that. I could just do with It's got some way to go before I could honestly give it a 9; it needs more content and bug-fixing. But the game itself I enjoy, including the ground segments that other people seem to dislike. It's also apparent that they put a lot of work into making this a canonical sequel to Nemesis (and the start of Star Trek XI), and they should be applauded for that. I could just do with some more fixes, please. Expand
  21. AdamW
    Feb 10, 2010
    As a Star Trek fan this game is enjoyable to play. The ships are well designed and the choice of colours makes your ship unique. The ground combat can be difficult at times, but I have enjoyed it. I think the game will improve as time goes on. the bugs will vanish and hopefully some new content will add to the experience of Star Trek.
  22. WalterB
    Feb 11, 2010
    This is one of the best MMO's that I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The graphics are great and it really feels like you are in control of your own Star Trek show. My only complaint is that they didn't spend enough time developing the game before release and it has quite a bit of bugs, needs more content (Read content for Klingons here) and they need to balance the 2 This is one of the best MMO's that I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The graphics are great and it really feels like you are in control of your own Star Trek show. My only complaint is that they didn't spend enough time developing the game before release and it has quite a bit of bugs, needs more content (Read content for Klingons here) and they need to balance the 2 factions a bit better. On the Federation side you get a ton of quests and just from running your quests you will be well equipped shortly after reaching the next rank, including all of your Bridge Officers, also you are able to do some crafting on the Fed side that just isn't available to the Klingons. On the Klingons side of the house you have PVP and a few PVE missions. the first few PVE missions take you around show you where things are and give you 3 Bridge Officers, then you get the repeatable PVP missions, and PVE MISSION no that is not a typo, most of you Levling will take place in PVP which will give you all the credits you need to get equipped or you can do the Kahless Expanse. Which will give you different kinds of credits that will get you pretty much the same equipment. This is where we come to the disparity. The Feds get some pretty good Rare equipment starting in their Tier 2 mission (Level 11 through 20) Where as the Klingons will only get the PVP/Exploration equipment that the Feds can also get. Cryptic is supposed to be working on some PVE content for the Klingons that should fix this disparity in equipment but until they do my Liberated Borg Klingon will be staying at level 9. Expand
  23. JoshW
    Feb 10, 2010
    In its current form, it is not complete as are most starting MMOs. But if you are a new buyer, don't let the ex-champions players dupe you into avoiding STO. Currently much of a hate towards STO is by these people who are upset because Champions Online failed, which was Cryptic's MMO before STO. Course part of the fault was due to Cryptic but thats another tale. Its not perfect In its current form, it is not complete as are most starting MMOs. But if you are a new buyer, don't let the ex-champions players dupe you into avoiding STO. Currently much of a hate towards STO is by these people who are upset because Champions Online failed, which was Cryptic's MMO before STO. Course part of the fault was due to Cryptic but thats another tale. Its not perfect yet but if you are a WoW player who wants something new, something fresh to try. Look no further than STO. It is a fun experience and the potential it has is enormous which is why I rate it an 8 instead of a 7. The Trek IP is just a gold mine for this game and the main storyline does not disappoint as you move into the Romulan sectors. Give it a shot! Expand
  24. BillP
    Feb 12, 2010
    Has growing pains like any newly launched MMO, but it is a great start, and the upcoming free content will only add to the fun. Cryptic has been very respectful of and faithful to the IP franchise, and the game is great fun, especially for an old hand at the Starfleet Command series.
  25. ImergioW
    Feb 12, 2010
    For me it's the best MMORPG I ever played, even with the 2 possibilities to fight in space and on planetsand/or stations - it is just great fun! Although I am a great fan of Star Trek, I think this game would even make sence for non-Star-Trek-guys. Thanks that my childhood dreams became true and I can be a real Captain with my own Crew!
  26. StuartP
    Feb 17, 2010
    Brilliant game. Space combat is pretty damned good and all that. I can't get enough of it! Then theres the forming of fleets that you can modify, put your clan tag on and the like. It's just sweet, 10 outta 10, ESPECIALLY if you are a trekkie! Let's not forget, you can customize yourself and your ship to the 'nth degree and well. It's brilliant.
  27. SeanB
    Feb 23, 2010
    This game is very fun. Space combat is far more strategic than combat in other MMOs I've played. It is almost like dogfighting where you push a hole in enemy shields and try to line up torpedos on that front (or the permutations from using other weapons). Ground combat is fun, but can be very... boring unless your skills are designed properly. Not much worse than say LOTRO when you This game is very fun. Space combat is far more strategic than combat in other MMOs I've played. It is almost like dogfighting where you push a hole in enemy shields and try to line up torpedos on that front (or the permutations from using other weapons). Ground combat is fun, but can be very... boring unless your skills are designed properly. Not much worse than say LOTRO when you are wailing on a boss as a tank. End Game content seems very underdeveloped, though. PVP and Fleet Actions seems to be the only major effort at that stage, but it will take a month of extremely dedicated play (hundred(s) of hours) to get there. Consequently, it is worth the money. Trek fans will love it. Expand
  28. Feb 6, 2011
    Alright so Startrek Online has finally turned one. The game has come a great way from its beginning, less then a month after initial reviews Cryptic rolled out their first set of content updates. These â
  29. May 27, 2011
    Great Trek game bundled with hours of fun. There are two forms of combat, space and ground. Space combat is intense and fun, ground combat is currently not as fun. The foundry is a groundbreaking quest building utility that allows players to create their own missions for others to play. STO is not a perfect game and not for everyone, the game was a little rocky upon release but as someoneGreat Trek game bundled with hours of fun. There are two forms of combat, space and ground. Space combat is intense and fun, ground combat is currently not as fun. The foundry is a groundbreaking quest building utility that allows players to create their own missions for others to play. STO is not a perfect game and not for everyone, the game was a little rocky upon release but as someone who took a years break after the first month I have definitely seen massive improvement. Expand
  30. May 21, 2013
    I think your metacritc score was a fair grade two years ago, you really need to upgrade it. They have done a lot since then, If your going to score or rate games you should update your information.

1. This is as fine a[n] homage to one of Sci-fi's great franchises a[s] you can get in an MMO format.
  2. Despite all of these complaints, those hordes of starship captains are quite happy. They may not have many different things to do, and the missions and UI may be rather buggy, but there does seem to be enough content to sustain them - at least until the endgame - and even at its worst that content is knockabout fun with more instant appeal, and more suitability for casual, short-session, low-commitment play than most MMOs.
  3. It is one of the worthier options among the titles which try to compete with WoW, and the one that has convinced us the most to date.