2.2

1. Apr 24, 2013
    This game is a hot mess. The voice acting doesn't make up for the uninspired combat, broken coop, and terrible A.I. controlling the teammate.

Are devs and PR people really trying to boost metacritic scores?
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    This game is full of bugs, I don't understand how a company like namco can put out such shoddy games? I will think twice about buying in the future :0
  3. Apr 24, 2013
    HAHAH this games a joke. Look at all these fake reviews to get the developers ratings up also tweeting it? HAHAH. No wonder why they didn't give out any review copies till weeks after release date LOL
  4. Apr 27, 2013
    the game is with lots of bugs, online not working and they think we will not notice the fake accounts boosting metacritic score ,so f you and hope you never develop another game in the future
  5. Apr 23, 2013
    Being a poorly done console port as well as a movie tie-in game isn't the issue which merits the game getting a poor score, it is the complete and total lack of working Online Co-op for the PC version that makes the game pointless and a waste of money. With so much emphasis placed on the Co-op component of the game, you'd think that would be the one feature they'd get right! Unfortunately the lack of working online, lack of polish, massive bugs, and dated visuals make it the total failure package it was sadly always assumed and destine to be. Expand
  6. Apr 24, 2013
    Another game released with enough bugs to make you suspect, that you're playing an alpha build.
    On top of this the major sellpoint of the game, the co-op doesn't work at launch.
    According to the game developers it's a small problem that only a few people are experiencing, but so far i have not found a single person who got it working, except the game's senior producer posting on steam
    that it works fine. Expand
  7. Apr 24, 2013
    Simple the co-op for PC does not work, so do not buy.Simple the co-op for PC does not work, so do not buy.
  8. Apr 25, 2013
    I'm so appalled by this I'm finding it difficult to write a proper review. Over the shoulder, cover based, shooter means this game equals Gears of Trek except for the fact that the shooting mechanics are absolutely atrocious and the A.I. is possibly some of the dumbest seen since Aliens Colonial Marines (ok, maybe not THAT bad but close). I've read lots of people trying to compare the game to Mass Effect. I suppose that comparison would be valid except, unlike Mass Effect, this game lacks a compelling narrative, character dialog, deep environment interactions, and RPG elements.

The story, so far, has been trite. Nothing more than a poor excuse to push players along to each scripted area of waist high walls and explosions. The cover mechanics are nearly as broken as the shooting mechanics and while the non-lethal takedowns are a great addition, most players will just forget about them and kill everything.

Graphically, the fact that this is a shoddy port of the console versions is clear from the start. The graphics themselves look decidedly dated even at high resolutions. The rendering of Chris Pine as Kirk is decent but Zachary Quinto as Spock? Let's just say the game's rendition of Spock looks as though he is a Vulcan with Down's Syndrome. Meanwhile, textures glitch out and low resolution textures are covered by bloom. Gameplay bugs are all over the place abound while coop (a major selling point) is broken. The fact that the devs themselves have been caught trying to inflate the score should be quite telling.

This is a far, far cry from Roddenberry's Star Trek, which, despite its cheesiness, always had an undercurrent of moral and/or philosophical discussion. This, much like J.J. Abrams' reboot, is just a bombastic show of special effects that doesn't even try to engage the viewer/player. I'm sad I wasted my time with this title.
  9. Apr 25, 2013
    Complete crap! Their company employees are posting (inlcuidng kenneth lead dev) and giving 10 reviews pretty dirty and it didnt have CO OP working at release blaming steam...BS
  10. Apr 25, 2013
    Stay clear away from this game. It is a scam, this is a co-op game but doesn't have co-op capabilities... the devs have been caught on steam forums praising the game. Somehow on release day they have 158hrs played and achievements going back to January. Google for yourself, Kenneth Lindenbaum busted for writing fake reviews on metacritic and steam pretending to be a user.
  11. Apr 25, 2013
    I am changing my review from 6 to a 2! I only played a couple of levels and it didn't seem to bad, but now I have spent more time with it; I hate it with a passion! there is game breaking bugs, completely dumb A.I (I told kirk to go somewhere and he just ran against a wall until I reset checkpoint) boring hacking and rubbish story!
  12. Apr 25, 2013
    It's been so long since I reviewed a game and gave it a higher score then 5... Bioshock Infinite was my last 9.... why are so many games so these days. This game... is borderline broken... invisbile ledges, you can walk through characters, invisible walls, coop is broken, the devs are trying to mask up this up using metacritic to boost their score amung other things.... holy... holy I can't stop laughing... I'm having trouble breathing so sorry for the misspelling but I'm laughing so hard as I write this... 0/10 because the Devloper team is abunch of idiots. Denying that COOP isn't broken and other crap. Movie based title game... what the hell did I expect... Gold? Expand
  13. Apr 26, 2013
    All fake accounts and developers rate the game 10 or 8 out of 10. Now if you rate your own game a 10 out of 10 just because you made it while no one else is able to play the co op and the game is just pure why even bother making it? I hope, from the ground of my heart, that Namco Bandai games goes bankrupt. Shame on all of you over at Bandai.
  14. Jun 8, 2013
    lol you have to fight walking lizard men need i say more ok i will this game makes my turds look good.The terrible ai the lack luster combat and the multitude of bugs makes for a very very poor game indeed.
  15. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is a cheap Mass Effect copy, they didn`t even bothered to change the font and the UI style. The voice acting is horrible ,the lip sync is almost nonexistent and the animations are so bad that the characters snap in a predetermined location. This game is broken ugly and unresponsive.
  16. Apr 25, 2013
    The game as of 25/04 is buggy as hell. The developer is conducting a shady PR campaign, denying that ALL of the users are having co-op problems and instead of owning their mistake they post messages with fake accounts on the steam user forums and here at metacritic. Please, for the sake of all gamers out there stay away from this game so the developers in the future know that releasing an unfinished product and charging a full price for it is unacceptable. Expand
  17. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is broken, coop doesn't work and the amount of bugs is just insane. Until they've fixed the major issues do not waste your money and time on this mess. The devs need to get their together.
  18. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is atrocious. It's a cash grab of the lowest caliber, and doesn't work online. The developers for this game are trying to inflate scores: do not listen to the inflated 10's. "Kenneth Lindenbaum", the senior producer for the game, is posting on steam forums pretending he's a user and all is good.

All of the devs for this game are scumbags, do not be fooled. The game is buggy
    and atrocious. Look up "Angry Joe" review star trek.

Glitches:
    -Giant models
    -Glitched models
    -Broken Online
    -Broken AI
    -Hundreds more
  19. Apr 25, 2013
    this game is a bad joke. there are numerous ridiculous glitches and the coop mode does not work, too. don't buy this crap and don't fall for the fake reviews with high scores.

for god's sake: don't buy this game!
  20. Apr 25, 2013
    The Devs/Publisher knew this game was a turd and thought they were being clever by not sending out review copies and posting up fake Metacritic reviews. It appears to have backfired, and hopefully this news will spread throughout the gaming world. This game is bad. The animations are really bad. The graphics are not great. The voice acting is okay. But most importantly it just has terrible gameplay and loads of bugs and non-functional co-op.

Don't buy this. Don't rent this. Send the people that made this hate mail for assuming that everyone is stupid
  21. Apr 25, 2013
    Horrible game and a very shady Business practice
    why make a co-op mode if it doesn't work at launch, I just don't know what they were thinking, this is almost a skam
  22. Apr 25, 2013
    STOP STOP STOP STOP TRYING TO RUIN THE GAMING INDUSTRY!!!! This is the 4th game in the last 4 months I didn't pre-order thanks to the sorry state we've found the industry in where games simply don't work on launch. Another developer goes on to my 'DO NOT BUY' list, and a Canadian one which is even more sad. Digital Extremes is dead to me. Namco you better get your developers in line. Dark Souls 2 better be pc functional this time. Expand
  23. Apr 25, 2013
    coop is broken

BOT AI is broken

game itself is broken so wtf we play??

And look at all these fake reviews, and i found one guy that said coop works and when i saw his profile he had played the game since january Wtf?? Is this the game creator?

Stay away from buying this game
  24. Apr 25, 2013
    reminds me of War Z... and thats obviously not a good thing.. just watch angry joes video.. he tells you everything you need to know about it.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7r9m9vYNA
  25. Apr 25, 2013
    Lots of bugs, no working co-op.

Why do PR think we are idiots, boosting this game score makes the company name even look worse for future games.

Way to go lol.
  26. Apr 26, 2013
    It's THE WORST Pre-order I've ever made... I simply can't believe that I actually bought this game. It is a huge shame for the games industry and I'm pretty sure that most of those, except KENNETH the liar, who took part in the production and promotion of this game are not going to be so proud of themselves having done this poor job. I am so disappointed... this is just a shame...
  27. Apr 25, 2013
    WarZ in space. From down right lying from the developers, to fake metacritic scores, this game is yet another example of bad business in the industry. Sad to see one of my favorite television show's name used on such a bad game made by bad businessmen.
  28. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is just horrible. How could something like this pass QA depart? Do your research and check out the youtube videos. Also check the Steam discussion page to see what current issues are affecting players, namely that the co-op doesn't work, at all. This game is just plain broken. Do not waste your money!

Shame on Namco Bandai for fake reviews on Metacritic (Why does almost all
    positive reviews are from brand new users with no other activity?) and for not sending out review copies prior to launch. I knew something was fishy when there wasn't any day one reviews. I quickly found out it was because Namco Bandai had something to hide. Expand
  29. Apr 27, 2013
    co op is crap it dosent work and that was the main reason i broght this on steam for (50 bucks what a waist of money) after looking at the trailer i though it was going to be a good movie tie in game but its so far been complete (PS spocks A.I is worst then sheiva from RE 5) and combat is broken
  30. Apr 25, 2013
    I am getting sick of day one fails. The game is a mess and the online component and co-op is completely broken. This is a total cash grab that taints the Star Trek name.
  31. Apr 25, 2013
    Pathetic.....absolutely unacceptable to release any game in this state. Single player is a buggy glitchy mess and the co-op is totally non-functional for all players at the time of this review. If you doubt me check Steams forums. DO NOT BUY!
  32. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is awfully bad, its so bad it makes me cry but the reason I set it so low is the shady business of the developers, fake accounts on metacritic and steam do not buy this game until the price is so low!
  33. Apr 26, 2013
    Another crappy Star Trek game-- I can't believe I keep falling for this stuff! Since I can't get my money back, I'm advising everyone else to just hold onto theirs.
  34. Apr 25, 2013
    terrible game can't get co-op to work incredibly buggy, the PR lies and some of these metecritic reviews are written by the creators themselves. DO NOT BUY!
  35. Apr 25, 2013
    This release of this game makes EA's releases look smooth. The quality of this game makes the ME3 ending look well-planned and insightful. I was going to give this game a 1 for its bugs, glitches, broken co-op and but given how many fake accounts with ONE review have posted brief, vague, positive reviews on here, I have to give it a zero to counteract the fake reviews.Their lowest point one of their employees, Kenneth Lindenbaum, their senior producer and brand manager, trolled the Steam forums saying that the co-op worked for him and attempted to blame Steam. They also indirectly referred to users who gave low reviews as "trolls" on their Twitter account. Trolls, indeed, Kenneth. This level of corporate corruption and scarcely disguised propaganda is beyond brazen. Say goodbye to your integrity and credibility to customers, Namco/Paramount not like you had much to begin with. Expand
  36. Apr 25, 2013
    This sorry excuse for a game is so broken that it's nigh on unplayable, it's a crying shame to see so many games like this being broken on release. If you like bugs then go ahead and buy this turd of a game.
  37. Apr 26, 2013
    trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash
  38. Apr 25, 2013
    THIS should stand as a warning for the future: NEVER pre-order a game!

The actual product is so far away from what was promised... it's like you pre-ordered a Porsche and they delivered an AMC Pacer.

But what bothers me far more than the buggy final product is the extent that they've gone to try and cover it up. No early review copies (always a red-flag; movies that don't have review
    screenings are the same. It means they KNOW it's a stinker). And *FAKED* metacritic "User" reviews? That's too far.

We expected a game that had some bugs. Let's face it, it's a movie license. Those are never quality goods, but can still be fun. That's fine. But instead of owning up to the shortcomings, they Streisand it all out of proportion. They =could= have just said "Look, co-op doesn't work. Do you still want us to release it now, or keep working on it?" Forewarned, and most people would probably be fine with it.

But no. They lie. And cheat. They want to STEAL your hard-earned dollars and pretend everything is rosy. It is completely unacceptable!
  39. Apr 25, 2013
    Soo many bugs in this game, graphics are decent but who the hell cares.. the game really is buggy and has some enjoyable moments but buggy as hell. If you can actually get past the first 30 minutes of gameplay without running into a single bug, then you just won the lottery..

Star Trek Video game devs are going out of their way to not answering any of the user questions and making their
    game APPEAR as if it's a great game.

- Star Trek devs going to sites like Metacritic and giving their game a high score
    - Lying on Steam forums that the Co-op works just fine, in the midst of people raging that it doesn't.
    - Not releasing a reviewer copy of this game until after the game is released, obviously shows that the devs know their game is and don't want anyone knowing that until they have already bought it.
  40. Apr 25, 2013
    Wound love to play the game but co-op keeps telling me that the server keeps losing connection. No other problem with any other online games. Probably broken. I'd stay away until it's fixed. At least the menus look nice.
  41. Apr 25, 2013
    DO NOT BUY BUY AT 50% off or more

Main features of this game are completely unavailable or unplayable (Co-op doesn't work at all) and while the visuals and such are pretty nice, if you like the 'new' Star Trek, the game itself is utterly disappointing. Decent voice acting paired with tedious missions and a LOT of repetition. Combat is extremely boring.

Barely worth it at half
    the price. Shameful job by developers and QA team. Expand
  42. Apr 25, 2013
    Star Trek, an IP that I love greatly, unfortunately has its name attached to this unplayable game. It's a co-op game where the co-op doesn't work. Oh and guess what? The people behind the game are trying to make everyone think everything is fine and dandy by having their employees act like the co-op is working. http://i.imgur.com/nOWzCWl.jpg provides one example.

**** this game. Nothing
    more needs to be said. Expand
  43. Apr 26, 2013
    Completely broken and bug ridden. They had no excuse to release to release it in this state. The lowest point was when the developers created fake game accounts to write false reviews to boost the game, that alone spells out that this game is A good game would speak for itself.
    A typical attempt to cash in on the movie. EPIC FAIL.
  44. Apr 26, 2013
    BUYER BEWARE!!! This game is clearly not in working order, co-op simply does not work. No wonder they refused to send out review copies until AFTER the launch they knew what a mess this was. The shooter mechanics are poor, and feel flimsy, the UI of the enemies is ATROCIOUS! Good luck trying to control your allies, the UI is simply broken and you will not be able to order your allies around. The game animations are Awful, they seem to jerk around as if they have skipped animating some moves.

DO NOT BUY!
  45. Apr 25, 2013
    What a mess! First impression is that you're playing a game from 2008. Sure, the actual models are OK, specially Spock and Kirk that looks the business, but the textures, FX and animation are rubbish. With V-sync off, the game was running at over two hundred frames per second! This is not because the game is well optimised, it's because the graphics are so basic. Not only am I disappointed that they didn't use DX11 features for the PC version, but they didn't even take advantage of DX9. Doom 3 had flashier visuals than this!

The game is also full of glitches like the ability to walk through people, buttons which don't work but then they mysteriously do and the AI simply loses it half the time and starts going around in circles as if chasing its own tail. It's actually quite funny!

The story is neither here or there but the execution can sometimes be jarring. A good example of this (no spoilers) was when the crew of a space station gets sucked into space, killing all of them, and none of the main characters seem to care or even notice. Instead, we are presented with a cut scene where we learn that Kirk would like to get into the hot Vulcan girl's pants. That's a way to deal with watching people die.

The combat is cover based, so no surprises there. It is quite easy but then it gets to one of the first game bosses where it suddenly becomes far too difficult because of the cheap attacks. After that, it's back to laid back game play.

As a conclusion, this is a bad, bad game. It doesn't help that it's a rushed port with all the console stuff still there. Avoid.
  46. Apr 26, 2013
    AAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYY JJJJJJJOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is right, this game is not so terrible, it has decent graphics, good voice acting (nothing amazing, just no bad), but the controls, the glitches, the bugs, the co-op!!!, how can this be released to the public!?!?!?!?, it doesn't matter if a game may have the best story or graphics in the world if everything else is broken!!! Expand
  47. Apr 26, 2013
    Well done on this release and trying to hide problems

I hate that PR is trying to hide the issues
  48. Apr 26, 2013
    Thank god for refunds on steam, if listed features do not work as advertised you can always get your money back like me! Disappointing as I waited quite a while for this game, with the publishers PR team creating false metacritic ratings to try and boost sales I hereby declare shinannigans and am boycotting Namco.
  49. Apr 26, 2013
    Awful game. Awful combat, awful ai, awful graphics and broken co-op. They are just trying to cash in on the Star Trek name. Waste of time and money. AVOID.
  50. Apr 29, 2013
    Fun for about an hour, then it all goes downhill. I thought I was going to be pleasantly surprised. The beginning of the game is well done. The pacing is alright, the graphics are decent and the environments are not boring. Then the rest of the game shows up. Let me put it like this: if you like shooting repetitive enemies in a boring, brown corridor, this is your game. Oh wait, no one likes that. It's like they had some neat ideas and then just gave up. Such a shame. Expand
  51. Apr 29, 2013
    This game is the summary of all that is bad with the gaming industry. It's like a diarrea burrito with EA wrappings and Duke Nuken Forever salsa. Also, coop didnt work on the PC version. I hope that lying PofS director gets fired!
  52. May 3, 2013
    Like most movie/TV franchise cash-ins, this is terrible. Go watch the actual Star Trek series instead of playing through this dreck. 2/10 bacon pancakes.
  53. Apr 27, 2013
    The story is cool. The rest of the game stinks. The mechanics and AI are awful. Buttons don't work (dodge/cover) and your second toon gets lost all the time. This is the worst game I've played in a long time and I've been playing games for a long time. I hope the movie is better than this. Just bad. I can't believe I paid for this game. DO NOT PAY anymore than $20 for this title. Namco, stop trying to ruin the Trek universe. Expand
  54. May 14, 2013
    It is pretty clear to me that the only ones giving this game good reviews, must be working for the devs. Probably very, very far down the food chain. Perhaps someone who worked on textures, or marketing. Nobody in their right mind, or at least, with decent eye sight would call this good graphics. Nobody with ANY gaming experience, would call this a good game. It is riddled with crippling bugs, and one of the worst AI's ever.

Only redeeming feature, is the voice acting.
  55. Aug 27, 2013
    We finished this game cooperatively on stream. We don't want to touch this game again so... the game had it's glitches. It was alright but as much time as this game had in Production. These game glitches are inexcusable.
  56. Apr 26, 2013
    I've just sat on the bog n pushed out a giant turd!...... So I thought since I produced it I would give it a 10 out of freaking 10!!!!!

I cant believe people would review their own s*it how utterly embarrassing!
  57. Apr 26, 2013
    Ok first off Im just gonna say that this game is the biggest piece of utter garbage that I have played. I preordered the PC version for myself and bought the PS3 version for my girlfriend and it was the biggest waste of $100 EVER! After numerous attempts at trying to get co-op to work at launch and other crappy and annoying bugs, horrible and non-entertaining combat, and a half-assed attempt with the A.I for your teammate, this is just an utter joke of a game that is tarnishing a great series. Needless to say I was able to get my money back due to me knowing a few people and was able to return them. Expand
  58. Apr 27, 2013
    When Co-op is broken,you are left with the A.I, but the A.I is almost brain-dead! They will get in your way when you really don't need them. Combat is-generic, and voice acting is the only good thing here. Game is also really BUGGY. At least on PC. I don't know if it is only bad port or PURE LAZYNESS! They also delayed the game,so this isn't acceptable. I don't recommend this game to ANYONE. Save your money for GTA V or Watch Dogs, ANYTHING ELSE!! Expand
  59. Apr 27, 2013
    There is a good reason that gamer's take interest in quality control.

Their favorite IP's are often taken advantage of, for reasons no more convoluted than fiscal profit.

A bad game, is not a rare coinsurance. They are pretty easy to spot. It's been widely accepted, Star Trek The Video game is not only buggy, antiquated, and in some regards, non-functional but it's an obvious attempt
    to capitalize on the IP's popularity among long time fans of the series.

I do not own the game. If you're reading this; you don't need me to tell you, that this game is not worth your money. You should already know by now.

I'm writing this because of the un-ethical practices by the developers to influence the consumer base with fake reviews. Because of lead developers (Kenneth) arguing on Steam, posing as a normal guy, who loves the game. Because of refusing to provide pre-release review copies and yet, still insisting on charging full price for the release.

These are the kind of business practices that the gaming community, on a whole, are trying to document.

It's up to the gamer, to punish these kinds of developers and publishers of poorly made games, by voting with your collective wallets.

But this is not a matter of Star Trek simply being a bad game.

A bad game is bad enough; but when a company goes beyond marketing, and attempts to run a deliberate campaign to deceive the ill-informed consumer, we must hold them accountable by getting online documenting why we're upset, and contacting those at fault; in addition to not paying for something that is merely a scheme to get your money...

The gaming community is smarter than these people take us for.

Do not let yourself be comfortable with these kinds of practices. It is our responsibility to enforce a standard; please, for your fellow gamers, do not buy this game you are condoning the worst of the gaming industry.
  60. May 4, 2013
    To be honest i wasn't expecting much from a movie licensed game but i have to admit this is not the worst movie licensed game i have ever played but also this games suffers from the countless number of bugs and glitches at least on the PC version. There isn't really that much to say, gameplay is not really good, graphics are outdated, story...(if you know what i mean) and overall it is a shallow experience. If you are a hardcore Star Trek fan and you don't want to miss out anything, don't buy it, rent it because the game is not worth $60. Expand
  61. Apr 30, 2013
    The Game Was enjoyable at parts but some low resolutions caught my eye especially when your graphic card can handle way more,the voice acting was good but horribly lip-synced and that's not what Games are about the games about game play, and all i can say its derpy.
  62. Jun 25, 2013
    This game fails to perform in every possible way it should. It fails at the very basics of making a good game, taking a great concept and rolling it around in dirt and throwing it into a box and charging $40.

77 from PC MASTER? What a joke, the first line in their "review" states its a bad game and still they give it a 7.7. LOL
  63. Aug 17, 2013
    Well.... this game was different.... it felt like I was helping a intellectually disabled person progress to the next objective. Really it felt like the game was only half finished. Some parts were okay... but it's still honestly a let down. I don't understand how this game even left the studio? I think some people did favours to get this one through. Anyway, play if you MUST though spok doesn't like you in this game. Expand
  64. Apr 28, 2013
    The shooting controls are awful. Shooting anything at close range is near impossible because you wind up shooting behind the target that's right in front of you. Wonky perspective.

The cover mechanics only work when they want to. I keep wishing they had been able to copy the Mass Effect controls and cover mechanic, but this feels like a really cheap imitation of that.

The game can
    devolve into a cluster**** when you're in combat shooting and being shot at (while wrestling with the controls), trying to listen to someone give you critical information while everything is exploding, and there are prompts telling you new interactions all at the same time. Often times, one of those things will be missed and you'll die. One time it got to the point where the best way to advance was to just run head first into danger and get to the other side before I died instead of listening to the hints/prompts.

Overall, this game is good at times, but not often enough. It goes from slightly fun to immensely frustrating like a never-ending rollercoaster. Absolutely not worth full retail price.
  65. Jul 23, 2014
    NEVER BUY THIS GAME!
    Not for $10.
    Not for $7.50.
    NOT FOR EVEN $5.00!
    Awful console port that is clunky and bug ridden. The Space Battle has actually has a bug where the attacking ships are invisible.
    Much like the current Star Trek movies, this game is a steaming POS of wasted potential.
  66. Apr 27, 2013
    Honestly, I should have know there might be a chance of the game being a disaster considering the last two games that I played that were based off a tv or movie were horrible. This game seriously needs more polishing it just seem rushed with the bugs and glitches.
  67. May 6, 2013
    This game was garbage. It froze up on me in the first 5 minutes and has deleted my save more times than I can count. The game is broken broken broken broken. Do not support this garbage.
  68. Jun 20, 2013
    The voice acting was the best thing about this game. Many of the other parts were buggy and underwhelming. As a movie game, I didn't expect a whole lot. I don't recommend this game to anyone, even star trek fans.
  69. Apr 27, 2013
    For an 8 minute professional grade review you can watch my video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9lvbtXdaRQ

Presentation
    Star Trek is not a bad looking game, but it certainly isn't a good looking game either. Character's look similar to their real-life counterparts, and the lip syncing is reasonable for the most part but the same can't be said for most of the other
    textures you'll be seeing throughout the game. Textures are muddy and pixilated, leaving mostly just an eye sore for you to endure. Luckily though, the game does not have a frame limit, and ran smoothly above 100 frames per second for the majority of my playthrough. PC Options are less than abysmal at best, no anisotropic filtering or even anti-aliasing. There's not even an option to rebind your keys so good luck to those that want to use their one-handed keyboards or those having an issue with certain keybinds and having a want to change them. At least you'll have a few eye catching moments in the game where you'll be able to take in the scenery before you move on to kill your next bad guy. Some scenes are cool to look at, especially when you get a chance you step out into space, even if it's only for a brief amount of time and is on rails. At least it seems like there was some effort put into the game to make it look decent, it's just a shame to not be able to see it look even better because the potential was there, but not captured.

Gameplay
    Star Trek: The Video Game is many things: it's a Third Person Cover Shooter with RPG elements, experience gaining alongside stealth mechanics, Army of Two style Co-op and even Uncharted's form of platforming in almost every mission. But there is one that that this game is not, and that's being any good. Starting off, before you even begin a new game on PC, you can't play with other people yet as of this review. With the game being completely designed around co-op and the fact that not a single person except for the developers themselves can play it, it seems that they kind of jumped the ball on this one for a Movie Game cash in. So as a back up, is the offline computer A.I. for your partner revolutionary, sophisticated and useful? No to all of those things. Half of the time your partner will glitch out, one time even warping through the ceiling and stopping me from progressing through the game, forcing me to reload my save. This would be okay to some extent if the checkpoints weren't so few and far between. But that's just the A.I., and this is supposed to be a co-op game specifically, so maybe we can set that aside for now and see if the rest of the game is any good. Well, unfortunately, no ones wishes will be granted here, for almost every aspect of the game is either extremely buggy or broken. The cover system is clunky, having you constantly pop out of cover without even doing anything and when you try to move from cover to cover your character moves with no sense of urgency that he just gets lit up by all the enemies he's walking right in front of, it's better to just not even use the thing, defeating it's own purpose entirely. The Uncharted-style platforming is also extremely frustrating and stiff moving that you'll get through an entire level, just to die by missing a single jump having to start back over at the beginning so you can waste another 10 minutes playing the same level over and over again. The RPG-like mechanics of leveling through scanning things with your Tricoder is also almost entirely pointless with the only abilities that are of any use at all to unlock are ones that make your pistol shoot faster and cooldown quicker. The game also wants to throw in "stealth" whenever it can to have you try and earn commendations that will grant you experience bonuses. But the stealth is also completely broken, where if you melee ANY enemy that isn't human from behind, you're character will glitch out and float for 5 frustratingly long seconds, usually allowing the other enemies to spot you. You also can hack devices such as turrets and mines, but these mini-games take so long to complete, some taking up to a full minute of just waiting for a little line to go across a grid. And if you get shot, well too bad, you have to start all over again. Even in the end, if the Co-Op was working, even if there was no latency issues or connection issues, there is just nothing it could bring to make this game any better. Obviously playing a game with friends will make pretty much any game more fun, but you can't rely on that to make your game any good. In the end, Star Trek: The Video Game doesn't know what it wants to be in terms of gameplay. It's not unheard of or a bad thing to take from other games and use their mechanics to enhance your own, but if all the mechanics are horribly broken and ultimately un-enjoyable, then you've made a less-than mediocre game that no one should ever play.

Verdict
    Since I'm out of space a 1 out of 5
  70. May 29, 2013
    Rule number 1:
    Never ever per-order a game based on anything popular
    Never purchase a game based on something popular without reviewing it.

It's getting a two as it's not loaded with errors, it just plain sucks.

Thankfully I tried it out for free and was very grateful for that opportunity
  71. May 2, 2013
    Lasciando da parte le limitazioni grafiche, il gameplay trito e ritrito... dico, almeno curare un minimo l'intelligenza artificiale del partner in single player, no? Vedere Spock che corre in circolo come un cane che cerca di mordersi la coda, davvero esilerante... ma anche deludente!
    I Gorn... i Gorn... cosa c'entrano questi Gorn con quelli della TOS...
    Ennesima licenza sprecata,
    ennesimo gioco realizzato con i piedi... e pensare che la trama prometterebbe anche bene! Male Expand
  72. May 3, 2013
    Boring story, stupid enemies that try to hide behind cover while their heads and tails stick out, most of the upgrades and weapons are useless. I heard the game has a lot of bugs and AI companion gets stuck, well the only real bug I have encountered is with the way point getting hung, had to pass it twice to get it to update also I had no mayor problem with the companion AI (he did get stuck twice so I had to issue a captains order to get him to move). All in all the game is just a poorly made platformer/TPS. Expand
  73. May 13, 2013
    I am Star Trek fan and i liked this new movie. I didn't see the sequel yet. I knew, that most of theme movie lincenced games are crap, but i wanted this game to give it a try.

Positive: good funny voice acting and partly good story and thats about it.
    Negative: There are a lot and i mean a lot of bugs! Cover mechanics are dissapointing. I'm pressing buttons like stupid on time looking
    like a real retard when controls don't work. The teammate is so retarded that i wanna kill him a way befoure a mission starts. AI is horrible, staying in one place like stupid or it's killing you every time he wants so you must repeat like 10 times. AI and teammate mood depend on the weather or maybe on what time it is. Coop problems,...

My score: keep away from this game. If you are a Star Trek fan you will be heartbroken! Rather go see this sequel of Startrek named Into Darkness.
  74. May 18, 2013
    wow i just found 9 devs just now JUST wow im NEVER getting this game ever so im giving it a 0/10 and Im not a dev my self im a new comer also why would i get this game when i could watch the movie and FORGET the game so thats all ill say about this game so good luck everyone give it a 0
  75. Jul 28, 2013
    A shining example of how NOT to make a video game. The voice acting may be good, but the gameplay is crap, and so are the graphics. While there is some high production value here and there, ultimately, textures are low res, gameplay is wonky (with a cover system that utterly fails), and story is unoriginal. Also, co-op did not work for nearly a week on PC. At least it didn't have always-on DRM (I'm looking at you Diablo III and SimCity). Expand
  76. Aug 5, 2013
    The AI sucks. I thought it was a co-op game? Bugs everywhere and story line. Don't waste your 29.99$ on Steam even though some of them praise the game a lot. Be honest, the AI really sucks.
  77. Jan 18, 2014
    This is a movie game so I guess I should have expected this to be a piece of **** but it wasn't so bad, I mean the co-op was nonfunctional at release, and even now it's not that good, the story is lame, and pointless, and it has a ton of bugs, but the voice acting from the cast of the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies is good, but not worth the price of admition.
  78. Mar 17, 2014
    Technical issues: The Video Game

Pros:
    Lens Flares

Cons:
    Full of bugs and glitches
    Dull shooting
    Animations

Don't play it at all, even if someone gives it to you for free. Avoid it

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Star Trek is a game with a lot of potential. None of which is being used. The game design is old, incomplete and riddled with bugs. The actors make a decent job and the co-op mode is alright but that is the only good things worth mentioning about this otherwise bland and forgettable tie-in to the movie.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    A by-the-numbers cover shooter punctuated by mind-numbing hacking minigames and woeful space combat. [July 2013, p.92]
  3. Jun 13, 2013
    Star Trek isn't as bad as they say, although the game has more than it's share of problems. The story is nice, but the game itself is filled with stupidities. For a duo of trekkies this game offers ADHD thrill ride for a weekend. If Star Trek doesn't get your juices flowing, you better steer clear. [June 2013[