2.3

1. Apr 26, 2013
    Awful game. Awful combat, awful ai, awful graphics and broken co-op. They are just trying to cash in on the Star Trek name. Waste of time and money. AVOID.
  2. May 3, 2013
    I liked this game, simple and functional, very fun to play and see for yourself, AI is good, no bugs until now, graphics very good, I'm very satisfied
  3. Apr 27, 2013
    co op is crap it dosent work and that was the main reason i broght this on steam for (50 bucks what a waist of money) after looking at the trailer i though it was going to be a good movie tie in game but its so far been complete (PS spocks A.I is worst then sheiva from RE 5) and combat is broken
  4. Apr 27, 2013
    For an 8 minute professional grade review you can watch my video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9lvbtXdaRQ

Presentation Star Trek is not a bad looking game, but it certainly isn't a good looking game either. Character's look similar to their real-life counterparts, and the lip syncing is reasonable for the most part but the same can't be said for most of the other

Presentation
    Star Trek is not a bad looking game, but it certainly isn't a good looking game either. Character's look similar to their real-life counterparts, and the lip syncing is reasonable for the most part but the same can't be said for most of the other textures you'll be seeing throughout the game. Textures are muddy and pixilated, leaving mostly just an eye sore for you to endure. Luckily though, the game does not have a frame limit, and ran smoothly above 100 frames per second for the majority of my playthrough. PC Options are less than abysmal at best, no anisotropic filtering or even anti-aliasing. There's not even an option to rebind your keys so good luck to those that want to use their one-handed keyboards or those having an issue with certain keybinds and having a want to change them. At least you'll have a few eye catching moments in the game where you'll be able to take in the scenery before you move on to kill your next bad guy. Some scenes are cool to look at, especially when you get a chance you step out into space, even if it's only for a brief amount of time and is on rails. At least it seems like there was some effort put into the game to make it look decent, it's just a shame to not be able to see it look even better because the potential was there, but not captured.

Gameplay
    Star Trek: The Video Game is many things: it's a Third Person Cover Shooter with RPG elements, experience gaining alongside stealth mechanics, Army of Two style Co-op and even Uncharted's form of platforming in almost every mission. But there is one that that this game is not, and that's being any good. Starting off, before you even begin a new game on PC, you can't play with other people yet as of this review. With the game being completely designed around co-op and the fact that not a single person except for the developers themselves can play it, it seems that they kind of jumped the ball on this one for a Movie Game cash in. So as a back up, is the offline computer A.I. for your partner revolutionary, sophisticated and useful? No to all of those things. Half of the time your partner will glitch out, one time even warping through the ceiling and stopping me from progressing through the game, forcing me to reload my save. This would be okay to some extent if the checkpoints weren't so few and far between. But that's just the A.I., and this is supposed to be a co-op game specifically, so maybe we can set that aside for now and see if the rest of the game is any good. Well, unfortunately, no ones wishes will be granted here, for almost every aspect of the game is either extremely buggy or broken. The cover system is clunky, having you constantly pop out of cover without even doing anything and when you try to move from cover to cover your character moves with no sense of urgency that he just gets lit up by all the enemies he's walking right in front of, it's better to just not even use the thing, defeating it's own purpose entirely. The Uncharted-style platforming is also extremely frustrating and stiff moving that you'll get through an entire level, just to die by missing a single jump having to start back over at the beginning so you can waste another 10 minutes playing the same level over and over again. The RPG-like mechanics of leveling through scanning things with your Tricoder is also almost entirely pointless with the only abilities that are of any use at all to unlock are ones that make your pistol shoot faster and cooldown quicker. The game also wants to throw in "stealth" whenever it can to have you try and earn commendations that will grant you experience bonuses. But the stealth is also completely broken, where if you melee ANY enemy that isn't human from behind, you're character will glitch out and float for 5 frustratingly long seconds, usually allowing the other enemies to spot you. You also can hack devices such as turrets and mines, but these mini-games take so long to complete, some taking up to a full minute of just waiting for a little line to go across a grid. And if you get shot, well too bad, you have to start all over again. Even in the end, if the Co-Op was working, even if there was no latency issues or connection issues, there is just nothing it could bring to make this game any better. Obviously playing a game with friends will make pretty much any game more fun, but you can't rely on that to make your game any good. In the end, Star Trek: The Video Game doesn't know what it wants to be in terms of gameplay. It's not unheard of or a bad thing to take from other games and use their mechanics to enhance your own, but if all the mechanics are horribly broken and ultimately un-enjoyable, then you've made a less-than mediocre game that no one should ever play.

Verdict
    Since I'm out of space a 1 out of 5
  5. Apr 27, 2013
    When Co-op is broken,you are left with the A.I, but the A.I is almost brain-dead! They will get in your way when you really don't need them. Combat is-generic, and voice acting is the only good thing here. Game is also really BUGGY. At least on PC. I don't know if it is only bad port or PURE LAZYNESS! They also delayed the game,so this isn't acceptable. I don't recommend this game toWhen Co-op is broken,you are left with the A.I, but the A.I is almost brain-dead! They will get in your way when you really don't need them. Combat is-generic, and voice acting is the only good thing here. Game is also really BUGGY. At least on PC. I don't know if it is only bad port or PURE LAZYNESS! They also delayed the game,so this isn't acceptable. I don't recommend this game to ANYONE. Save your money for GTA V or Watch Dogs, ANYTHING ELSE!! Expand
  6. May 6, 2013
    A wonderful Trek game. It gives you the sense of actually being in a tie-in movie, and sports the banter of the original series characters. The gameplay is fun and very similar to how it plays out in the 2009 movie, and the whole game is executed in the same way. For those looking for a more "Original Trek" feeling, you can try to take on the Commendation objectives, which are moreA wonderful Trek game. It gives you the sense of actually being in a tie-in movie, and sports the banter of the original series characters. The gameplay is fun and very similar to how it plays out in the 2009 movie, and the whole game is executed in the same way. For those looking for a more "Original Trek" feeling, you can try to take on the Commendation objectives, which are more challenging and rewarding, and require you to take care of objectives more diplomatically. The graphics hold up even under close scrutiny and fast paced action, though require a stronger system than average. They may not be groundbreaking, but they are definitely up to date and good looking. The multi player adds a layer of fun as well, and promotes a lot of teamwork.
    The majority of complaints about the game happen to be centered on the fact that AS SOON as the game came out, there was a Steam server problem. The error was corrected within three days, but that didn't stop anyone from coming here to write awful reviews, in an attempt to make the developers fix it faster (even though it wasn't completely the developers fault). The outrageous reviews have given it a bad name, when it is a thoroughly enjoyable game. I was part of a forum where I saw the members decide to make several accounts here, just to talk bad about the game, in their attempts to get the developers to fix the multi player servers faster. It has forever stained the review score here and was unnecessary. In the end the multi player was quickly fixed and the game is great. Star Trek fan? Buy it.
  7. May 18, 2013
    wow i just found 9 devs just now JUST wow im NEVER getting this game ever so im giving it a 0/10 and Im not a dev my self im a new comer also why would i get this game when i could watch the movie and FORGET the game so thats all ill say about this game so good luck everyone give it a 0
  8. May 26, 2013
    I am not really sure where all the negative reviews are coming from. Apparently a game deserves a 0 if a feature isn't functional at release. Just because the Co-Op was messed up initially, does not mean the game is completely useless or crap.

As a Star Trek fan, I give the game an 8. I can see it having a somewhat lower rating if you are new to the series or have no nostalgia for the universe.

Pros: The voice acting is good, at least of the two main characters. The dynamic with Kirk, Spock, and Bones has some humourous moments. The textures are really good, with the Enterprise interior looking great. There is a nice range of weapons to choose from. Interesting tricorder scanning mode that adds a collectible element to the game. Many portions of missions offer a non-lethal option to try and fulfill, which can be challenging at times. Tie-in with the second movie.

Cons: Weapon and tricorder upgrades could have been expanded, possibly with different upgrades depending on weapon type. Game could have been longer. The AI of the enemy is a little weak, at least when it comes to hiding and ambushing you (You can normally shoot an enemy trying to hide because his butt sticks out of the obstacle it is using to hide). The AI of your partner could have been better, but he does the job more or less.

Honestly, I did not experience any of the bugs people have been talking about on here, nor did I care about Co-Op working. The game is decent to good, not garbage or crap like the vast majority of people here state. Granted, with the price tag, they could have fleshed out the game more, but hey, game so often get released incomplete or lacking.
  9. Dec 27, 2015
    This is the sad case of a developer putting up a fake review to help sales, gets ousted, then almost everyone rates the game a zero to punish them.

That basically makes those users scoring this game a zero complete hypocrites and just as bad as any fake positive review, because they're putting up a fake negative review/score. No game is worth a 0/10 unless it just didn't work/install.

Even a useless score of 2.3 on here, which makes it almost the worst game of 2013. Yet, this game is light years ahead of Ride to Hell and Iron Soul, and really isn't all that different to the first Halo.

It's mediocre in every way. Cliched lizard enemies come from another galaxy to take ours through "rips" (er, wormholes with a new name), so Kirk and Spock turn into two-man killing machines and save the galaxy.

Apart from the review drama, it got complaints of a lot of bugs. I didn't really find many on my playthrough with bot Spock. A couple of random deaths, Spock got stuck one or twice but usually unstuck himself with some new commands. Certainly no more bugs than any game.

Halo-style two weapons limit, but the unlimited ammo phaser is all you need. The combat itself is just average.

Lots of mini-games that get complaints, but you can actually have the game do them all for you, apart from several really easy ones.

Some of the camera angles are wonky especially when enemies get close, but nothing too major.

Graphics are average, you can tell the engine is dating, since it was used as far back as Dark Sector in 2008. There's some nice scenes later on when on the Gorn planet.

Digital Extremes started on this earlier than your normal movie tie-in because they wanted to created a truly great game. I don't know what happened there, were they just incompetent or could they not see that they were instead creating a paint-by-numbers average linear third person game with very little vision and scope. Of course only to be played by Trek fans. It's about a 6/10 overall. Certainly no 0.
  10. Oct 28, 2013
    I also don't see why people are giving this game a zero or 1. Its not a 9 or 10 either, it could of been spectacular if not rushed to meet the movie deadline. I would rate it "Worth Playing" if you can get it on a deal. The voice acting is really great. Pine and Quinto did a good job and it was enjoyable to play. The combat wasn't perfect but I did enjoy this game and I played itI also don't see why people are giving this game a zero or 1. Its not a 9 or 10 either, it could of been spectacular if not rushed to meet the movie deadline. I would rate it "Worth Playing" if you can get it on a deal. The voice acting is really great. Pine and Quinto did a good job and it was enjoyable to play. The combat wasn't perfect but I did enjoy this game and I played it all the way through. If a game boring, doesn't hold my interest, or its a crap game I don't finish it, I finished this one. Expand
  11. Nov 27, 2013
    Anyone who says this game is a "copy" Well it is. So are a lot of other games. Did you guys expect them to piss off a few million dollars to make a game engine specifically for this game? Co-Op Works for me, and I've only ever encountered 3 bugs. Maybe if you don't TRY to break the game, it wont break? Food for thought!

Anyway, the voice acting is good, and I DISLIKE what the story have

Anyway, the voice acting is good, and I DISLIKE what the story have done to the Gorn (Gorn are NOT other galaxy things that want to eat Vulcans!) Although there are good use of objectives, and the Noncombat objectives make it feel a lot more like Trek. Overall this is a good game, fun to play, and enjoyable.

The controls are somewhat strange, however, after the first gameplay event/mission, its fairly simple to get used to.

On the other hand, the Gorn are idiots. They try to hide behind objects, but are too big, Honestly I don't have a problem with them charging at me like an idiot though, just when they try to hide behind 2inch thick poles. AND You can tell your partner to take cover, or stay behind. So stealth missions ARE NOT impossible.

I love the tricorder. it is an amazing gameplay mechanic. And the world spaces are beautiful. Another good mechanic is the weapons. Having the upgradable weapons, along side of the weapons you can pick up off the ground and use. There is enough variety to allow for several different play styles, from rapid-fire, to snipers, to shot gunners.

Although it does have some glitches that can impede progress where you will have to go back to an earlier place, but there are enough checkpoints where it does not mater THAT much.

However, the game WAS NOT worth the $50 it was released at. But for $20 the game is decent.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Star Trek is a game with a lot of potential. None of which is being used. The game design is old, incomplete and riddled with bugs. The actors make a decent job and the co-op mode is alright but that is the only good things worth mentioning about this otherwise bland and forgettable tie-in to the movie.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    A by-the-numbers cover shooter punctuated by mind-numbing hacking minigames and woeful space combat. [July 2013, p.92]
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 13, 2013
    Star Trek isn't as bad as they say, although the game has more than it's share of problems. The story is nice, but the game itself is filled with stupidities. For a duo of trekkies this game offers ADHD thrill ride for a weekend. If Star Trek doesn't get your juices flowing, you better steer clear. [June 2013[