Star Wars: Empire at War PC

8.4

1. Apr 3, 2014
    This game is one of the best RTS games I've ever played, and gives you a satisfying Star Wars experience. While the initial game isn't too large in scale by today's standards, the great modding community gives us even more depth into the Star Wars canon, and gives us a truly fantastic experience. The only fault i could give for this game is that there isn't more of it out there.
  2. DanielJ.
    Mar 17, 2007
    Although the other Star Wars RTS games weren't great, Star Wars Empire at War proves out to be one hell of an RTS. The graphics are really awesome, especially with a good video card. The sound is simply perfect! And there is just a ton of game-play from skirmish vs the AI to the story campaign. In summary Empire at War is a great game and what I consider to be one of the best Star Although the other Star Wars RTS games weren't great, Star Wars Empire at War proves out to be one hell of an RTS. The graphics are really awesome, especially with a good video card. The sound is simply perfect! And there is just a ton of game-play from skirmish vs the AI to the story campaign. In summary Empire at War is a great game and what I consider to be one of the best Star Wars strategy games in the series. I hope they make a sequel. Expand
  3. KravinM.
    Mar 27, 2007
    Star Wars Empire at War is one of the best Star Wars RTS games for the PC. With good game play you'll be playing for hours.
  4. JC
    Aug 11, 2007
    Probably the best strategy game of the Star Wars series since Rebellion. This game makes for both ground and space based warfare, making it an interesting change from past games. The Single Player Campaigns were interesting. 1 Con about this game is its A.I. The AI of this game is pretty bad and easily defeatable. Online play is ok, but generates loads of lag and poor online design.
  5. JoeyKohn
    Feb 21, 2006
    Fantastic game. For any knowledgable Star Wars fan, you'll love a lot about this game. It's a familiar and accurate Galaxy map, with logical plantery bonuses. You'll likely be surprised at some of the planets included, and you'll appreciate the good descriptions.
    Two things will bother people, though. First, the size and fighting strategy and capability of the Rebellion. Despite the cool and interesting differences between the Rebels and the Empire, the overall strategy for both sides is the same. Armies, bases, and real confrontations, not quite the stelathy guerrilla warfare that would be more accurate. Also, the way certain mechanics work may by slightly bothersome, such as Rebels getting technology by stealing from the Empire with R2 and C3PO, and the fact that fleets can only be located at planets, no open space. All of these issues are excused for the sake of gameplay, and trust me, the sacrifices of strict continuity are TOTALLY worth it. You also have to keep in mind that the game lets you do it how you want to, so if you want to complain about continuity, remember that it's your fault.
    Now gameplay. There are three categories of gameplay. Galactic, space, and ground. Galactic is easy and intuitive. While there are options that you might rather have, there is little to complain about in what's there.
    Space is fun. A serious fan of space battles will wish they could do more specific stuff, but there's enough strategy to be intersting, and the cool feature of targeting fire to certain hard points is immersive. The biggest complaint is the 2D plane. A 3D space ala Homeworld would have been awesome, but alas. It's still quite fun, however.
    Land is very different from most traditional RTS games. You capture reinforcement points so that you can bring in troops from your fleet above. You don't make units, you bring in units you made on the galactic map. You can build a few structures like turrets, but only at certain points. You don't have all the options of normal RTS games, but it's still fun and tactical, although rudimentary. It makes for a unique experience, which befits a scenario of galactic conquest with pre made fleets in the air.
    That's the important distinction that makes this game awesome. Of the three gameplay types, none are spectacular. Each one, while immersive and plenty detailed enough, doesn't have all the options for a more ambitious gamer or as much as a more specialized game. However, all three types mesh in such a way that the minor lackings of each type don't matter, because each is just a part of a whole galactic war. You make units on planets in the Galactic map, using buildings you made on those planets. That's how you build your bases, you command your resources and unit distribution from there, and the space and land battles are merely specific tactical confrontations, that honestly would not make sense as a duplication of C&C. Everything makes sense and blends well as a galactic war, which makes the gameplay varied and intriguing, continuous, and galaxy spanning, and it's a fantastic immersive experiene for great fun.
    Graphics are plenty good. No complaints. Turn up the resolution and detail and it's nice. It doesn't need to be better. Turn it down and it still looks nice, and runs great even on older machines. Sound is top notch, and voice acting isn't bad considering they didn't get any original actors. As for difficulty, it is kind of easy, and strategy can be fairly basic. The AI isn't great, but it's not retarded and it's not frustrating, a good balance.
    Overall, while nothing about it is spectacular, Empire at War blends all it's parts into an amazing overarching gameplay that is immersive for anyone, especially a Star Wars fan, and enthralling. No component could pretend to be a full fledged game, for example the Space battles would be no competition for Homeworld, but each part is only part of a whole, and they all blend so well, that the game is ammazing. It's an experience that you simply can't get in any other game.
    Final thought: I have Final Exams tommorrow, and instead of studying or doing any work, I've been playing EAW for days, and even after I pried myself from it, I came online to speak praise for it.
    Strategy fans, Star Wars fans, you'll love it.
  6. Feb 9, 2014
    This 2006 game is still SO MUCH fun. The graphics are a bit retro but are so colorful the space battles still stand up BEAUTIFULLY! And all the sounds are completely licensed from Lucas Arts. I haven't seen such a balance between abilities and weaknesses of different factions (Empire, Rebels, Zann Consortium (criminal syndicate), since Star Craft. And both land and space battles requireThis 2006 game is still SO MUCH fun. The graphics are a bit retro but are so colorful the space battles still stand up BEAUTIFULLY! And all the sounds are completely licensed from Lucas Arts. I haven't seen such a balance between abilities and weaknesses of different factions (Empire, Rebels, Zann Consortium (criminal syndicate), since Star Craft. And both land and space battles require complex balancing of mixed forces. Generally, with few exceptions, you can't just build imperial star destroyers and expect to take on swarms on rebel fighters or proton frigates, they will surprisingly eat you alive without proper escorts. To say nothing of strategically managing the planetary map (balancing what kind of buildings you build on your planets). And the AI is quite good, both tactically and strategically. The only drag is the sometimes brutally repetitive nature of some of the attacks. Pro Tip: If you use auto-resolve, often times you will lose seemingly hopeless battles (or win some easy ones with ridiculous loses). BUT, if you begin the tactical combat and then use the Fast Forward button, and sit back and watch, you may very well win, and win with no or few losses. It takes 2-3 minutes but it's worth it (Advanced Pro Tip: If you do this, I think you still manually need to fire the planet based weapons, so un-FF and then fire, and re-FF).

Example, being rusty at this game, as the all powerful Empire, I laughingly got my rear end kicked all the way back to Coruscant, was invaded, and almost lost the game, but was forced to think of inventive new strategies to claw my way back up, using a combination of land based hypervelocity cannons to secure my local space, and researching powerful new techs, which also opened up new "hero units" such as Captain Piett (with a suped up star destroyer) and Darth Vader (with an Executer Class Super Star Stardestroyer Command Ship), which turned the tide.

I highly recommend this game for anyone who wants the ultimate RTS Star Wars experience done really well, even if the graphics (particularly the land battles) are a bit dated.
  7. Apr 5, 2011
    This game wasn't too bad. The close up camera of the battle was really good and the maps were okay. I was however disappointed with the lack of variation within vehicles and infantry, and all the buttons and menus in the battle were too visually confusing. I'm sure someone who likes playing tactically would like this game, but for me, I moved onto a different game after about 10 minutes.
  8. Oct 3, 2011
    This is simply an amazing game! I just can't put it down! I really like how it is basically a strategy game for both beginners, and experts. The game play is very good, and it suits expert strategy gamers, without going so hard on beginners. I think that this could be the best Star Wars strategy game out there. Then again, I actually like Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds better, butThis is simply an amazing game! I just can't put it down! I really like how it is basically a strategy game for both beginners, and experts. The game play is very good, and it suits expert strategy gamers, without going so hard on beginners. I think that this could be the best Star Wars strategy game out there. Then again, I actually like Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds better, but that's not to say that this game is terrible. The one thing that's better from Galactic Battlegrounds is the graphics. Battlegrounds was 2D, while everything here is 3D. Not to mention that it has a game engine of its own, where Galactic Battlegrounds works on the Age of Empires engine. However, there is one thing that I don't like about Empire at War, and that's the space battles. The battles, when playing in instant action mode, last only a measly seven minutes, where the ground battles last up to thirty! However, that problem doesn't totally ruin the game. It's still a good game nonetheless. Expand
  9. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game. Not without it's flaws but still a must for any Star Wars fan. Good amount of content, 2 campaigns, galactic conquest mode, skirmish and multiplayer. Also there is a huge modding community around the game which will increase it's re playability.
  10. May 9, 2013
    One of the very best RTS games to ever grace the PC. Also one of the very best Star Wars games, sitting right next to Battlefront 2. This game is still a blast to play with others online, even today!
  11. Feb 12, 2014
    This is one of the best games I have ever played, and certainly the best RTS. The game is fantastic on its own, with an excellent diversity of units and playstyles, but the fantastic modding community makes it all the more legendary. Due to the inclusion of both space and land battles, I would even go so far as to say that this game is better than the critically acclaimed Starcraft II, andThis is one of the best games I have ever played, and certainly the best RTS. The game is fantastic on its own, with an excellent diversity of units and playstyles, but the fantastic modding community makes it all the more legendary. Due to the inclusion of both space and land battles, I would even go so far as to say that this game is better than the critically acclaimed Starcraft II, and not just because EaW is Star Wars. Fanboys will cry about the canonocity (I know I did at first), but again, this can be fixed easily with mods, as can any other nitpicks you might come up with. Expand
  12. Apr 14, 2014
    A strategy game in real-time seems like the perfect genre for Star Wars, and Empire at War sort of nailed it in a certain sense, by that I mean this game does feel like Star Wars, and I feel like I am actually commanding either the rebels or the empire, and that feeling is one of the best you can have while playing a video game. Despite that Empire at War has it's flaws. There are twoA strategy game in real-time seems like the perfect genre for Star Wars, and Empire at War sort of nailed it in a certain sense, by that I mean this game does feel like Star Wars, and I feel like I am actually commanding either the rebels or the empire, and that feeling is one of the best you can have while playing a video game. Despite that Empire at War has it's flaws. There are two factions in this game, Rebels are Empire, and two modes of battle, those being in land and in space. Space battles are where the game shines, since they look great, and never seem to get boring, I have started up a game countless of times to play a single space skirmish battle, and it will always be a blast, going from star fighters to giant capital cruisers battling it out is legitimately great. Despite that there is a unit limit, and that takes out some of the scale of the battles. Things in land aren't so great however, they look quite ugly actually, and can be relatively boring at times, when I wanted to conquer a planet I actually found myself playing and enjoying the space battles and then simply auto-completing (a feature that I should note for single-player) the land battles in order to avoid them, I did find myself enjoying certain land battles in the campaign modes however, but that is mainly because that mode made sure the battles were more unique. Talking about modes, apart from the two campaigns, there are skirmish battles and a mode called galactic conquest, where as the name suggests you'll have to conquer the galaxy, and this is an interesting part of the game, for a good portion of this mode you won't be in battle, you'll be viewing the galaxy and the planets you control as well as your enemies' planets, training both ground and space units and making buildings, as well as transporting troops and strengthening your economy, and this galactic conquest mode can extend and get really tense thanks to all of that, however it can get tedious after a while. Multiplayer is LAN only, which is a shame, since some online battles would definitely have been very interesting. A feature that this game has that is very noteworthy is the movie camera mode, it lets you see battles as if it was a movie, it can be a little distracting amidst the action, however when you can put the camera and relax it is great, but as I said it shines way more in space than land. Also, strategy-game wise it isn't that deep, there are few hotkeys and options that you would use in other strategy games like Starcraft 2. Overall I think it's a good game, but some issues lead it to not be great, I'd say download the demo (which is a good demo by the way) and judge by yourself, as for me, I think my purchase was good, but the potential that Star Wars has still wasn't used to it's fullest. Expand
  13. KneelB4Zod
    Dec 13, 2006
    Da Gameboyz hit the nail on tha head; this game's biggest positive reinforcement, it that it come from the Star Wars Genre and has all that cool star wars stuff. If it had been any other space oriented game it would have fallen on its face and bit off its tongue. Honestly, the game isn't terrible, its quite fun. However, once you beat the game, its sucks a fat one.... i had had Da Gameboyz hit the nail on tha head; this game's biggest positive reinforcement, it that it come from the Star Wars Genre and has all that cool star wars stuff. If it had been any other space oriented game it would have fallen on its face and bit off its tongue. Honestly, the game isn't terrible, its quite fun. However, once you beat the game, its sucks a fat one.... i had had more fun popping pimples than continuing playing this game. P.S. idk what all you critics are talking about, that was incredibly easier than you make it out to be. "grind through the game" my ass, i bet you can't play a video game for sh.... PWN..... yea it makes me feel like a bigger man. Expand
  14. PoviR.
    Mar 18, 2007
    Love this game. Multiplayer galactic conquest is where it's at.My buddy and I are still trying to beat each other after a week of playing a 40+ planet campaign. Brilliant! Saving your game during multiplayer is also a nice touch. Also, you don't need a super mega PC to run this game, unlike the current stock out there.
  15. JakeK.
    Apr 20, 2006
    I can't believe how anyone could give this game a 10 or a 9. I thought this was one of the worst star wars games ever. They have almost no different kinds of troops or veicles and the maps are very small. The only good part of this game was when i played the first 10 minutes of it.
  16. TobyD.
    Feb 18, 2006
    I thought this was the worst game I've ever been conned into buying by overzealous reviews by people I don't think have even played this game. do like starwars, but we've had some problems with Star wars games, Battlefront 2 sucked like a £5 whore. I.e - badly. This is worse. This is, quite possibly the WORST game I have EVER played. The graphics are appalling. They I thought this was the worst game I've ever been conned into buying by overzealous reviews by people I don't think have even played this game. do like starwars, but we've had some problems with Star wars games, Battlefront 2 sucked like a £5 whore. I.e - badly. This is worse. This is, quite possibly the WORST game I have EVER played. The graphics are appalling. They are irritating and cutesy, while lacking in detail, the only thing that looks good is the explosions in the space battles. Don't get me started on the inconsistencies. Just trust me, if you're a star wars fan this game will irritate you. Perfect example - During the formative years of the Rebellion, acccording to EAW the SOLE method the Rebel Alliance had for gathering intelligence was.... wait for it... R2D2 & C3P0. "Many camp droids died to bring you this information..." Also, apparently the Rebellion is just as strong as the empire. No, really. Click single player, click the SUPPOSEDLY freeform conquest mode that - MAKES YOU PICK A LINEAR SCENARIO. Pick Galactic conquest (the only relatively freeform one, although if you replay it, they always attack the same places) try starting it from BOTH sides. Compare fleets and troops. Lucasarts? I wish I could defenestrate whoever was responsible for this pile of s**t. And the ground combat...? No, I can't. I'll cry. I'd say find out for yourself, but... Ok, one quick thing, all combat, both ground and orbital reminds me of warcraft 2 without the charm. You have a set square map, with predefined "terrain" like asteroid fields. You can't alter the camera angle at all, although you do have a very limited zoom function. except you can't Build units. Use pre-built - hammer the crap out of stuff. Very command and conquer but with even less strategy and charm (and I AM talking the FIRST C&C!) Expand
  17. MarcO.
    Jun 7, 2006
    The fact that there is no senario editor gives it a bad fall in points. This game is fairly dissapointing, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds beats this.
  18. RTSGuru
    Feb 10, 2006
    This is by no means your traditional RTS. This game is fresh and new and offers strategy gamers something different with galactic, space and ground battles. The interface is streamlined and easy-to use, it just down right addicting. If you want more than the standard generic offering of strategy games currently available, this game is for you. By far the best Star Wars RTS/Strategy game This is by no means your traditional RTS. This game is fresh and new and offers strategy gamers something different with galactic, space and ground battles. The interface is streamlined and easy-to use, it just down right addicting. If you want more than the standard generic offering of strategy games currently available, this game is for you. By far the best Star Wars RTS/Strategy game to do date. Expand
  19. Mr.Vader
    Feb 21, 2006
    There are some good points and bad points to be said here, (GOOD) out of all the star wars RTS games that have ever been made this one is the best of the lot. (BAD) I
  20. MookN.
    Mar 5, 2006
    This game was very disappointing. As one of the few fans of Rebellion, I was elated when I heard this game was coming out. It sounded like the sequel I'd waited so long for, but with actual 3d space combat. (Finally a chance to employ all of my Homeworld skills in the Star Wars universe!) When I discovered that the space maps were 1.) tiny and 2.) Effectively not 3d but a very basic This game was very disappointing. As one of the few fans of Rebellion, I was elated when I heard this game was coming out. It sounded like the sequel I'd waited so long for, but with actual 3d space combat. (Finally a chance to employ all of my Homeworld skills in the Star Wars universe!) When I discovered that the space maps were 1.) tiny and 2.) Effectively not 3d but a very basic RTS map I nearly fell out my chair. This game is designed for kids of all ages. The tactics are simple: overwhelm by numbers. The graphics are okay, the front end and in game overlays are not well laid out, and it's nothing new. In fact, Empire at War Expand
  21. SteveT.
    May 31, 2006
    Very pretty and atmospheric. Shallow and repetitive however- I didnt even feel the urge to play the Rebel campaign after finishing the Imp one.
  22. AdamL.
    Nov 30, 2005
    Are You Ready for this? This game really shows you the expanse of the LucasArts Industry! I got to test it, and man does it kick ---!!! There are still some glitches in the space battles, but once there fixed, it'll be the best game they ever came out with!!!
  23. MattB.
    Feb 10, 2006
    Red Alert eat your heart out!
  24. RonM.
    Feb 14, 2006
    All I can say is Wow! These guys have managed to seperate from the boring traditional style of RTS play. The game is highly addictive and 30+ hours of gameplay content easy. The best part, the pulled this off in the Star Wars universe. If you are a strategy fan, this is a must have game.
  25. BlackFox
    Feb 21, 2006
    Star Wars ha been really lacking a proper Strategy game since Rebellion and this is the game to fill that need. Looking back at past SW strategy games Epire at wars seems like a good combination of all these elements and really feels like a galactic scale conquest. The battles look and feel beautiful in space and are good even on the ground. The gameplay is long lasting wioth easily 20 Star Wars ha been really lacking a proper Strategy game since Rebellion and this is the game to fill that need. Looking back at past SW strategy games Epire at wars seems like a good combination of all these elements and really feels like a galactic scale conquest. The battles look and feel beautiful in space and are good even on the ground. The gameplay is long lasting wioth easily 20 hours of play in both single player campaings and overall I am amazingly happy with this game. However, there was a few problems I noticed durign my play. First off battles can get reptative and tedious, but the fact your going to diffrent enviroments ever 10 to 30 minutes seems to make up for this problem. Also their is some problems with with units getting stuck. I had a victory class and several soilder units get stuck and not move from their position (even to fire) over several battles, though this is rare its annoying never the less. Another problem is with control glitches, often my cursor will not want to drag over units and i am forced to press escape bringing up the menu and returning to the game in order to get that back. However the game was just released and these problems will be fixed eventually and do not hamper the game play much. Overall some aspects could have been better and hopefully an expansion will allow the production of Super Star Destroyers, B-wings, hero's like Thrawn and other cool units that were left out. Expand
  26. Liam
    Feb 3, 2006
    after installing the bryant 2.0 mod for this demo(this mod opens up the demo to include many more units and a bigger campaine map) ive come to the conclusion that this is the greatest star wars RTS to date i love how they have changed the resource collectiong part e,g, there is no resource collecting. the camera angles are great and the cinimatic mode is just a great idea, with all theafter installing the bryant 2.0 mod for this demo(this mod opens up the demo to include many more units and a bigger campaine map) ive come to the conclusion that this is the greatest star wars RTS to date i love how they have changed the resource collectiong part e,g, there is no resource collecting. the camera angles are great and the cinimatic mode is just a great idea, with all the battle chatter and fantastic musical score happening during battles it the only RTS that draws you in to it universe this game is destined for greatness. lets just hope they dont screw up the release of this game. Expand
  27. RobertThompson
    Feb 5, 2006
    This game is awesome! It offers strategy gamers a new way to play with three levels of gameplay (space, ground and agalactic). Beats the heck out of the standard generic template RTS games these days. Who would have thought this cool stuff to come from a Star Wars game.
  28. VidM.
    Feb 8, 2006
    When all is said and done, it's just another uninspired strategy game. The space battles ae somewhat interesting, but ground battles tend to drag. Separation of building and battles takes a lot of the fun of stategy games out. I simply can't recommend this game. Star Wars fanatics only need apply.
  29. StrellS.
    Mar 2, 2006
    An absolutely fantastic strategy game whether you like Star Wars or not! Exceptionally strong multiplayer element that is extremely fun! Best strategy game I played since StarCraft and RA2!
  30. Mr.Skywalker
    Mar 6, 2006
    a very good game but im going to give it a 5 because its so hard to actually get a online game to work. for every 10 times you try you only manage to get 1 game. and its not just me who has the problem its everybody.
  31. YilmarS.
    Mar 6, 2006
    What can i say about this game??It's awesome and i can't stop playing!! The gameplay is very reliable and easy and you can control almost everything in the galaxy. The sound is another strong part of the game with special sound effects and all the explosions blowing at your ears!Especially if you have a 5.1 system!!The laser sounds from the spaceships are the classic sound of What can i say about this game??It's awesome and i can't stop playing!! The gameplay is very reliable and easy and you can control almost everything in the galaxy. The sound is another strong part of the game with special sound effects and all the explosions blowing at your ears!Especially if you have a 5.1 system!!The laser sounds from the spaceships are the classic sound of every laser with something more!! The graphics section is the strongest part of the game! Star Wars Empire at War has something more than excellent graphics!!The universe looks very real and the spaceships very realistic!!In the middle of a battle you can relax and admire all the special effects and the awesome explosions that taking place in front of your eyes!! Don't lose this game at all costs! It's a must for every pc gamer! Expand
  32. ThrawnM.
    Apr 10, 2006
    The game is great and sports some awesome graphics and at least 30+ hours of single-player game play. Multiplayer is where the game is at with a cool team mode for land and space maps; the game also has tons of options to choose from. There is also a neat online campaign mode for those who want to play a
  33. Felipevillegas
    Apr 9, 2006
    The game does lack a little bit.. but im not worried the game delivers and plays well. Mods will Make this the best Starwars RTS of all time, hopefully just fixing the ground battles a bit and adding tons more units .. But i am extremely satisfied
  34. J.Stewart
    Feb 14, 2006
    The strategy map is like Risk or Settlers, and the separate space and land battles essentially mean that there are two RTSs under that. All in all, a great addition to RTS gaming.
  35. KevinS.
    Feb 15, 2006
    A bit of a carbon copy of existing (and past) RTS games. Why couldn't they have made the space battles like Homeworld? How much fun would a true 3D space strategy game in the Star Wars universe have been? Instead, we're locked onto 2D planes of movement. A fine attempt, but could have been soooo much better.
  36. JeffT.
    Feb 16, 2006
    This is a stunning Star Wars game, perhaps the best Star Wars game to date. Not to mention an amazing real time strategy game!
  37. PhilD.
    Feb 16, 2006
    This is the best RTS I have played since Starcraft.
  38. AkromA.
    Feb 18, 2006
    The graphics on the previews looked pretty good and much was expected in regards with that they were the team that bought you command and conquer. Grahics are not as good, I presume this was because it will be available to a bigger audience with low spec pc's. I had my pc upgraded to a 256mb ddr ram graphics and 1G ram specially but this is a average game with below par graphics and The graphics on the previews looked pretty good and much was expected in regards with that they were the team that bought you command and conquer. Grahics are not as good, I presume this was because it will be available to a bigger audience with low spec pc's. I had my pc upgraded to a 256mb ddr ram graphics and 1G ram specially but this is a average game with below par graphics and average gameplay (apart from space battles). Not a bad game but not the best wait for the price to drop before buying, this is only really for hardcore starwars fans and nothing more, wait for LOTR Battle for middle earth 2. Expand
  39. S.C.
    Feb 18, 2006
    Great game that is unlike traditional RTS games. The campaign multiplayer is great...it's got a strategic level that isn't often seen. Despite what another reviewer says, you do have full camera control and furthermore, you can zoom out further than ANY other RTS ever. Another point where another reviewer is mistaken: there is significant nonlinear play. Think of how the Great game that is unlike traditional RTS games. The campaign multiplayer is great...it's got a strategic level that isn't often seen. Despite what another reviewer says, you do have full camera control and furthermore, you can zoom out further than ANY other RTS ever. Another point where another reviewer is mistaken: there is significant nonlinear play. Think of how the missions work in Grand Theft Auto. I'm not sure why he was complaining about graphics--just look at the screenshots or movies from any review siite other than IGN (I guess they ran the game on a low end machine). A game shouldn't be penalized for being fully playable on low end machines! Empire at War scales its graphics to let more people play. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes strategy, RTS, Star Wars, and even casual gamers. Expand
  40. S.Omer
    Feb 19, 2006
    Boring, just like most other RTS, very little difference except... Star Wars oriented... whoopeee. Going back to RTW... nothing out there as good.
  41. DanielH.
    Feb 19, 2006
    This Game is the best star wars game ever, if you think the graphics are bad turn up the settings. Toby D needs prozac and a brain. theres nothing better than smashing into system with a fleet of star destroyers.
  42. D.E.
    Feb 20, 2006
    I have been in the gaming industry for over 7 years and a gamer since birth. I have played every major RTS that has come along. I was a little bummed with the demo and was bracing myself for mediocre game yet after going to three different stores I finally found a copy as they are all SOLD OUT. Once I stuck this baby in I was hooked. I played the skirmish and galactic conquest modes all I have been in the gaming industry for over 7 years and a gamer since birth. I have played every major RTS that has come along. I was a little bummed with the demo and was bracing myself for mediocre game yet after going to three different stores I finally found a copy as they are all SOLD OUT. Once I stuck this baby in I was hooked. I played the skirmish and galactic conquest modes all weekend long and haven't even gotten into the MP and campaign modes. The gameplay had so many options on how to play an RTS unlike any other RTS before it. I am tired of the old gather resources, build up army, and attack. SWEAW gave me a unique way to play the game in every mode. It was like playing Home world, C&C, Age, & starcraft all rolled into one great game. All Hail Petroglyph and may we have many many more RTS games from you in the future. Expand
  43. GlynneF.
    Feb 26, 2006
    this game plays like c&c and feels like it BUT STARWARS! the space batlles overall the best land battles good but could be better and the rest is top notch good sound affects and good storyline int he campaign overall i would say a MAJOR succes for lucasarts.
  44. NateW.
    May 30, 2006
    it's totally awesome. the sound and graphics are the best for a RTS game.
  45. JasonG.
    Jul 1, 2006
    The game started off pretty well, with great graphics, Sound/Music, and playability. But fails greatly with the depth of the campaigns offered. No where near long enough (especially the rebel campaign) which is a shame because I think that would have been the clincher...
  46. FredG.
    Mar 15, 2007
    H.is game is so much fun I couldn't stop playing even for dinner. Empire at War is just right for difficulty, not to easy and not to hard. But if you like hard you can crank up the difficulty. The space battles are truly awesome, being able to command a fleet of star destroyers and the death star is totally cool. I haven't played many RTS games, but after playing EAW it made me H.is game is so much fun I couldn't stop playing even for dinner. Empire at War is just right for difficulty, not to easy and not to hard. But if you like hard you can crank up the difficulty. The space battles are truly awesome, being able to command a fleet of star destroyers and the death star is totally cool. I haven't played many RTS games, but after playing EAW it made me think that RTS games aren't that bad at all. I would definitely recommend it to those who like RTS games and even those that don't. If you like to make maps you can download the editor. It's pretty easy to use and a lot of fun. Expand
  47. FilhaberH.
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hands down one of the best Star Wars RTS games to date. The space battles are truly epic and the game looks great on max detail with a good video card. If you like RTS games and like Star Wars, Empire at War is a must have game.
  48. MikeO.
    Feb 15, 2006
    Awesome! This game is soo much fun to play. They actually have made a fun RTS without having to stick to the same old outdated gameplay style like (BFME 2, AOE 3). This game is a must have for any RTS fan.
  49. JillD.
    Feb 18, 2006
    Just got it and I'm loving it.
  50. DrewF.
    Feb 19, 2006
    Does anyone remember "Star Wars: Rebellion"? Cause believe it or not, "Empire at War" seems to be it's spiritual successor. Slightly less complex then "Rebellion", but i think it's a major mistake to compare this game to other RTS' on the market. The RTS element of this game is flawed, to be kind. You do not have anywhere NEAR the freedom that you would expect in an RTS. Does anyone remember "Star Wars: Rebellion"? Cause believe it or not, "Empire at War" seems to be it's spiritual successor. Slightly less complex then "Rebellion", but i think it's a major mistake to compare this game to other RTS' on the market. The RTS element of this game is flawed, to be kind. You do not have anywhere NEAR the freedom that you would expect in an RTS. You cannot build buildings wherever you'd like. You can build AA and AI turrets only in preselected locations. i think this may stun alot of people going in to this thinking it'll be like Starcraft or Command and Conquer. It's not. The strategy elements, though, are ALOT of fun, and the reason i gave this a 7. Expand
  51. Twelvefield
    Feb 22, 2006
    Is Empire At War more or less a dressed-up version of Rebellion? Yes. It definitely does the things that Rebellion did right, and it avoids many of the things Rebellion did wrong -- it's one of the best-looking SW games around, if not the best (as long as you don't use the zoom too much!) EAW does take a long time to play out, and some of the strategy can be repetitive. Plus, if Is Empire At War more or less a dressed-up version of Rebellion? Yes. It definitely does the things that Rebellion did right, and it avoids many of the things Rebellion did wrong -- it's one of the best-looking SW games around, if not the best (as long as you don't use the zoom too much!) EAW does take a long time to play out, and some of the strategy can be repetitive. Plus, if you get stalemated by the strategic map, it's hard to get past certain phases of the game. The controls are easy to use, and the game is largely bug free and smooth-running, if you have a good system. Multiplayer is actually rather fun, in that human opponents will do things the computer wouldn't think of. The multiplayer setup is through GameSpy, which can be both a blessing and a curse, but once you get past that, playing on-line is easy, at least with the most recent official patch. EAW does a lot of things and covers much ground in the Star Wars universe. It's certainly an ambitious game, and deserves some solid gaming time. However, because EAW has so many different things to do, it never quite excels at any of them, so if you're expecting specific scenarios or outcomes based on the books or movies, or even based on other RTS or Star Wars games, you may be disappointed. On the other hand, if chasing after legions of panicked footsoldiers in your very own AT-AT tickles your fancy, then EAW will certainly keep you and your online friends amused. Expand
  52. LukasK.
    Mar 29, 2006
    Very good game but it's quite short. I was done with this game in 20 hours. I mean single player. Exactly storyline. But it's very good. You must be good in economy, strategy and tactic. I won a battle against 10 big machines (I don't know how their are called exactly.) with 2 squad of marines and one factory. If you like RTS you should play this game.
  53. Nov 16, 2015
    The best Star Wars game ever made! I love it.
    Noone have the ability to do something so good. Buy it!
    The expansion are fantastica and there are a lot of Universe Expanse caracther!
  54. Feb 22, 2012
    Many bugs, and glitchs to date that i have found, and got mad at, but its their, seemingly a story taken from the movies, and the good stuff about it was controling the empire, and role playing the attack in the mind..... i liked it for fun, and it was good still
    fun-8, gameplay-7, upgrading-unknown( i dont know if it does), creativity- isnt really there its a star craft and CaC take for star wars.
  55. Nov 7, 2016
    The best part of this game is the epic galactic conquest. Galactic conquest is absorbing and meaty especially the space battles as you struggle for space supremecy before you can take over the planet. The ai with the planet land battles can be a tad weird and I generally auto play them
  56. Aug 17, 2015
    this game is better than most games of today i miss the old days of effort that was put into video games nowadays developers get tons of time and make ****
  57. Mar 28, 2016
    i have had the game on steam for a few years, i still love it to this day. its not the perfect game but it is very very fun. if i were to lose my steam account to a hacker, not only would i be destroyed because of all the games i lost, but i would be sad because i lost empire at war
  58. Aug 22, 2016
    This game is amazing! For me, there's only one con and many pros on this.

This game is amazing! For me, there's only one con and many pros on this.

Con: later on in the game, you'll be able to predict its patterns and thus be able to defeat them easily in easy, middle, and hard levels. The difficulty of this game is more on stronger/harder-hit units or more amount of units deployed in combat, than on actually increasing the A.I.'s intelligence that you're competing against. Increasing A.I.'s intelligence would make one feel like they're playing chess against them; that's very vital on making a best strategy game.

Pros: awesome CGI, the strategic/tactical challenges you'll initially encounter, some characters, units, storytelling, and pretty much everything else. This game was very addicting to me. When I've bought it, I've played it for hours until I get bored w/ it and then left for some time; one week later, I'm still playing it again.

For someone who's 1) a Star Wars fan, 2) likes strategy games like Ages of Empire, and 3) really into CGI 3D effects, this game is it.

1. Empire at War hits all the right notes if you're a Star Wars fan, but be prepared to grind out your victories.
  2. Game Informer
    It's not every day that a licensed game actually makes its source material cooler, especially when you are talking about Star Wars. [Mar 2006, p.114]
    Star Wars: Empire at War definitely scores big in terms of style. Gamers who are looking for an authentic Star Wars experience will not be disappointed with this one... What really stinks is that the actual gameplay isn't exciting enough to support the setting.