Star Wars: Empire at War PC

8.4

1. Apr 3, 2014
    This game is one of the best RTS games I've ever played, and gives you a satisfying Star Wars experience. While the initial game isn't too large in scale by today's standards, the great modding community gives us even more depth into the Star Wars canon, and gives us a truly fantastic experience. The only fault i could give for this game is that there isn't more of it out there.
  2. DanielJ.
    Mar 17, 2007
    Although the other Star Wars RTS games weren't great, Star Wars Empire at War proves out to be one hell of an RTS. The graphics are really awesome, especially with a good video card. The sound is simply perfect! And there is just a ton of game-play from skirmish vs the AI to the story campaign. In summary Empire at War is a great game and what I consider to be one of the best Star Although the other Star Wars RTS games weren't great, Star Wars Empire at War proves out to be one hell of an RTS. The graphics are really awesome, especially with a good video card. The sound is simply perfect! And there is just a ton of game-play from skirmish vs the AI to the story campaign. In summary Empire at War is a great game and what I consider to be one of the best Star Wars strategy games in the series. I hope they make a sequel. Expand
  3. KravinM.
    Mar 27, 2007
    Star Wars Empire at War is one of the best Star Wars RTS games for the PC. With good game play you'll be playing for hours.
  4. JC
    Aug 11, 2007
    Probably the best strategy game of the Star Wars series since Rebellion. This game makes for both ground and space based warfare, making it an interesting change from past games. The Single Player Campaigns were interesting. 1 Con about this game is its A.I. The AI of this game is pretty bad and easily defeatable. Online play is ok, but generates loads of lag and poor online design.
  5. JoeyKohn
    Feb 21, 2006
    Fantastic game. For any knowledgable Star Wars fan, you'll love a lot about this game. It's a familiar and accurate Galaxy map, with logical plantery bonuses. You'll likely be surprised at some of the planets included, and you'll appreciate the good descriptions.
    Two things will bother people, though. First, the size and fighting strategy and capability of the Rebellion. Despite the cool and interesting differences between the Rebels and the Empire, the overall strategy for both sides is the same. Armies, bases, and real confrontations, not quite the stelathy guerrilla warfare that would be more accurate. Also, the way certain mechanics work may by slightly bothersome, such as Rebels getting technology by stealing from the Empire with R2 and C3PO, and the fact that fleets can only be located at planets, no open space. All of these issues are excused for the sake of gameplay, and trust me, the sacrifices of strict continuity are TOTALLY worth it. You also have to keep in mind that the game lets you do it how you want to, so if you want to complain about continuity, remember that it's your fault.
    Now gameplay. There are three categories of gameplay. Galactic, space, and ground. Galactic is easy and intuitive. While there are options that you might rather have, there is little to complain about in what's there.
    Space is fun. A serious fan of space battles will wish they could do more specific stuff, but there's enough strategy to be intersting, and the cool feature of targeting fire to certain hard points is immersive. The biggest complaint is the 2D plane. A 3D space ala Homeworld would have been awesome, but alas. It's still quite fun, however.
    Land is very different from most traditional RTS games. You capture reinforcement points so that you can bring in troops from your fleet above. You don't make units, you bring in units you made on the galactic map. You can build a few structures like turrets, but only at certain points. You don't have all the options of normal RTS games, but it's still fun and tactical, although rudimentary. It makes for a unique experience, which befits a scenario of galactic conquest with pre made fleets in the air.
    That's the important distinction that makes this game awesome. Of the three gameplay types, none are spectacular. Each one, while immersive and plenty detailed enough, doesn't have all the options for a more ambitious gamer or as much as a more specialized game. However, all three types mesh in such a way that the minor lackings of each type don't matter, because each is just a part of a whole galactic war. You make units on planets in the Galactic map, using buildings you made on those planets. That's how you build your bases, you command your resources and unit distribution from there, and the space and land battles are merely specific tactical confrontations, that honestly would not make sense as a duplication of C&C. Everything makes sense and blends well as a galactic war, which makes the gameplay varied and intriguing, continuous, and galaxy spanning, and it's a fantastic immersive experiene for great fun.
    Graphics are plenty good. No complaints. Turn up the resolution and detail and it's nice. It doesn't need to be better. Turn it down and it still looks nice, and runs great even on older machines. Sound is top notch, and voice acting isn't bad considering they didn't get any original actors. As for difficulty, it is kind of easy, and strategy can be fairly basic. The AI isn't great, but it's not retarded and it's not frustrating, a good balance.
    Overall, while nothing about it is spectacular, Empire at War blends all it's parts into an amazing overarching gameplay that is immersive for anyone, especially a Star Wars fan, and enthralling. No component could pretend to be a full fledged game, for example the Space battles would be no competition for Homeworld, but each part is only part of a whole, and they all blend so well, that the game is ammazing. It's an experience that you simply can't get in any other game.
    Final thought: I have Final Exams tommorrow, and instead of studying or doing any work, I've been playing EAW for days, and even after I pried myself from it, I came online to speak praise for it.
    Strategy fans, Star Wars fans, you'll love it.
  6. Feb 9, 2014
    This 2006 game is still SO MUCH fun. The graphics are a bit retro but are so colorful the space battles still stand up BEAUTIFULLY! And all the sounds are completely licensed from Lucas Arts. I haven't seen such a balance between abilities and weaknesses of different factions (Empire, Rebels, Zann Consortium (criminal syndicate), since Star Craft. And both land and space battles requireThis 2006 game is still SO MUCH fun. The graphics are a bit retro but are so colorful the space battles still stand up BEAUTIFULLY! And all the sounds are completely licensed from Lucas Arts. I haven't seen such a balance between abilities and weaknesses of different factions (Empire, Rebels, Zann Consortium (criminal syndicate), since Star Craft. And both land and space battles require complex balancing of mixed forces. Generally, with few exceptions, you can't just build imperial star destroyers and expect to take on swarms on rebel fighters or proton frigates, they will surprisingly eat you alive without proper escorts. To say nothing of strategically managing the planetary map (balancing what kind of buildings you build on your planets). And the AI is quite good, both tactically and strategically. The only drag is the sometimes brutally repetitive nature of some of the attacks. Pro Tip: If you use auto-resolve, often times you will lose seemingly hopeless battles (or win some easy ones with ridiculous loses). BUT, if you begin the tactical combat and then use the Fast Forward button, and sit back and watch, you may very well win, and win with no or few losses. It takes 2-3 minutes but it's worth it (Advanced Pro Tip: If you do this, I think you still manually need to fire the planet based weapons, so un-FF and then fire, and re-FF).

Example, being rusty at this game, as the all powerful Empire, I laughingly got my rear end kicked all the way back to Coruscant, was invaded, and almost lost the game, but was forced to think of inventive new strategies to claw my way back up, using a combination of land based hypervelocity cannons to secure my local space, and researching powerful new techs, which also opened up new "hero units" such as Captain Piett (with a suped up star destroyer) and Darth Vader (with an Executer Class Super Star Stardestroyer Command Ship), which turned the tide.

I highly recommend this game for anyone who wants the ultimate RTS Star Wars experience done really well, even if the graphics (particularly the land battles) are a bit dated.
  7. Oct 3, 2011
    This is simply an amazing game! I just can't put it down! I really like how it is basically a strategy game for both beginners, and experts. The game play is very good, and it suits expert strategy gamers, without going so hard on beginners. I think that this could be the best Star Wars strategy game out there. Then again, I actually like Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds better, butThis is simply an amazing game! I just can't put it down! I really like how it is basically a strategy game for both beginners, and experts. The game play is very good, and it suits expert strategy gamers, without going so hard on beginners. I think that this could be the best Star Wars strategy game out there. Then again, I actually like Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds better, but that's not to say that this game is terrible. The one thing that's better from Galactic Battlegrounds is the graphics. Battlegrounds was 2D, while everything here is 3D. Not to mention that it has a game engine of its own, where Galactic Battlegrounds works on the Age of Empires engine. However, there is one thing that I don't like about Empire at War, and that's the space battles. The battles, when playing in instant action mode, last only a measly seven minutes, where the ground battles last up to thirty! However, that problem doesn't totally ruin the game. It's still a good game nonetheless. Expand
  8. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game. Not without it's flaws but still a must for any Star Wars fan. Good amount of content, 2 campaigns, galactic conquest mode, skirmish and multiplayer. Also there is a huge modding community around the game which will increase it's re playability.
  9. May 9, 2013
    One of the very best RTS games to ever grace the PC. Also one of the very best Star Wars games, sitting right next to Battlefront 2. This game is still a blast to play with others online, even today!
  10. Feb 12, 2014
    This is one of the best games I have ever played, and certainly the best RTS. The game is fantastic on its own, with an excellent diversity of units and playstyles, but the fantastic modding community makes it all the more legendary. Due to the inclusion of both space and land battles, I would even go so far as to say that this game is better than the critically acclaimed Starcraft II, andThis is one of the best games I have ever played, and certainly the best RTS. The game is fantastic on its own, with an excellent diversity of units and playstyles, but the fantastic modding community makes it all the more legendary. Due to the inclusion of both space and land battles, I would even go so far as to say that this game is better than the critically acclaimed Starcraft II, and not just because EaW is Star Wars. Fanboys will cry about the canonocity (I know I did at first), but again, this can be fixed easily with mods, as can any other nitpicks you might come up with. Expand
  11. PoviR.
    Mar 18, 2007
    Love this game. Multiplayer galactic conquest is where it's at.My buddy and I are still trying to beat each other after a week of playing a 40+ planet campaign. Brilliant! Saving your game during multiplayer is also a nice touch. Also, you don't need a super mega PC to run this game, unlike the current stock out there.
  12. RTSGuru
    Feb 10, 2006
    This is by no means your traditional RTS. This game is fresh and new and offers strategy gamers something different with galactic, space and ground battles. The interface is streamlined and easy-to use, it just down right addicting. If you want more than the standard generic offering of strategy games currently available, this game is for you. By far the best Star Wars RTS/Strategy game This is by no means your traditional RTS. This game is fresh and new and offers strategy gamers something different with galactic, space and ground battles. The interface is streamlined and easy-to use, it just down right addicting. If you want more than the standard generic offering of strategy games currently available, this game is for you. By far the best Star Wars RTS/Strategy game to do date. Expand
  13. Mr.Vader
    Feb 21, 2006
    There are some good points and bad points to be said here, (GOOD) out of all the star wars RTS games that have ever been made this one is the best of the lot. (BAD) I
  14. AdamL.
    Nov 30, 2005
    Are You Ready for this? This game really shows you the expanse of the LucasArts Industry! I got to test it, and man does it kick ---!!! There are still some glitches in the space battles, but once there fixed, it'll be the best game they ever came out with!!!
  15. MattB.
    Feb 10, 2006
    Red Alert eat your heart out!
  16. RonM.
    Feb 14, 2006
    All I can say is Wow! These guys have managed to seperate from the boring traditional style of RTS play. The game is highly addictive and 30+ hours of gameplay content easy. The best part, the pulled this off in the Star Wars universe. If you are a strategy fan, this is a must have game.
  17. BlackFox
    Feb 21, 2006
    Star Wars ha been really lacking a proper Strategy game since Rebellion and this is the game to fill that need. Looking back at past SW strategy games Epire at wars seems like a good combination of all these elements and really feels like a galactic scale conquest. The battles look and feel beautiful in space and are good even on the ground. The gameplay is long lasting wioth easily 20 Star Wars ha been really lacking a proper Strategy game since Rebellion and this is the game to fill that need. Looking back at past SW strategy games Epire at wars seems like a good combination of all these elements and really feels like a galactic scale conquest. The battles look and feel beautiful in space and are good even on the ground. The gameplay is long lasting wioth easily 20 hours of play in both single player campaings and overall I am amazingly happy with this game. However, there was a few problems I noticed durign my play. First off battles can get reptative and tedious, but the fact your going to diffrent enviroments ever 10 to 30 minutes seems to make up for this problem. Also their is some problems with with units getting stuck. I had a victory class and several soilder units get stuck and not move from their position (even to fire) over several battles, though this is rare its annoying never the less. Another problem is with control glitches, often my cursor will not want to drag over units and i am forced to press escape bringing up the menu and returning to the game in order to get that back. However the game was just released and these problems will be fixed eventually and do not hamper the game play much. Overall some aspects could have been better and hopefully an expansion will allow the production of Super Star Destroyers, B-wings, hero's like Thrawn and other cool units that were left out. Expand
  18. Liam
    Feb 3, 2006
    after installing the bryant 2.0 mod for this demo(this mod opens up the demo to include many more units and a bigger campaine map) ive come to the conclusion that this is the greatest star wars RTS to date i love how they have changed the resource collectiong part e,g, there is no resource collecting. the camera angles are great and the cinimatic mode is just a great idea, with all theafter installing the bryant 2.0 mod for this demo(this mod opens up the demo to include many more units and a bigger campaine map) ive come to the conclusion that this is the greatest star wars RTS to date i love how they have changed the resource collectiong part e,g, there is no resource collecting. the camera angles are great and the cinimatic mode is just a great idea, with all the battle chatter and fantastic musical score happening during battles it the only RTS that draws you in to it universe this game is destined for greatness. lets just hope they dont screw up the release of this game. Expand
  19. RobertThompson
    Feb 5, 2006
    This game is awesome! It offers strategy gamers a new way to play with three levels of gameplay (space, ground and agalactic). Beats the heck out of the standard generic template RTS games these days. Who would have thought this cool stuff to come from a Star Wars game.
  20. StrellS.
    Mar 2, 2006
    An absolutely fantastic strategy game whether you like Star Wars or not! Exceptionally strong multiplayer element that is extremely fun! Best strategy game I played since StarCraft and RA2!
  21. YilmarS.
    Mar 6, 2006
    What can i say about this game??It's awesome and i can't stop playing!! The gameplay is very reliable and easy and you can control almost everything in the galaxy. The sound is another strong part of the game with special sound effects and all the explosions blowing at your ears!Especially if you have a 5.1 system!!The laser sounds from the spaceships are the classic sound of What can i say about this game??It's awesome and i can't stop playing!! The gameplay is very reliable and easy and you can control almost everything in the galaxy. The sound is another strong part of the game with special sound effects and all the explosions blowing at your ears!Especially if you have a 5.1 system!!The laser sounds from the spaceships are the classic sound of every laser with something more!! The graphics section is the strongest part of the game! Star Wars Empire at War has something more than excellent graphics!!The universe looks very real and the spaceships very realistic!!In the middle of a battle you can relax and admire all the special effects and the awesome explosions that taking place in front of your eyes!! Don't lose this game at all costs! It's a must for every pc gamer! Expand
  22. ThrawnM.
    Apr 10, 2006
    The game is great and sports some awesome graphics and at least 30+ hours of single-player game play. Multiplayer is where the game is at with a cool team mode for land and space maps; the game also has tons of options to choose from. There is also a neat online campaign mode for those who want to play a
  23. Felipevillegas
    Apr 9, 2006
    The game does lack a little bit.. but im not worried the game delivers and plays well. Mods will Make this the best Starwars RTS of all time, hopefully just fixing the ground battles a bit and adding tons more units .. But i am extremely satisfied
  24. J.Stewart
    Feb 14, 2006
    The strategy map is like Risk or Settlers, and the separate space and land battles essentially mean that there are two RTSs under that. All in all, a great addition to RTS gaming.
  25. JeffT.
    Feb 16, 2006
    This is a stunning Star Wars game, perhaps the best Star Wars game to date. Not to mention an amazing real time strategy game!
  26. PhilD.
    Feb 16, 2006
    This is the best RTS I have played since Starcraft.
  27. S.C.
    Feb 18, 2006
    Great game that is unlike traditional RTS games. The campaign multiplayer is great...it's got a strategic level that isn't often seen. Despite what another reviewer says, you do have full camera control and furthermore, you can zoom out further than ANY other RTS ever. Another point where another reviewer is mistaken: there is significant nonlinear play. Think of how the Great game that is unlike traditional RTS games. The campaign multiplayer is great...it's got a strategic level that isn't often seen. Despite what another reviewer says, you do have full camera control and furthermore, you can zoom out further than ANY other RTS ever. Another point where another reviewer is mistaken: there is significant nonlinear play. Think of how the missions work in Grand Theft Auto. I'm not sure why he was complaining about graphics--just look at the screenshots or movies from any review siite other than IGN (I guess they ran the game on a low end machine). A game shouldn't be penalized for being fully playable on low end machines! Empire at War scales its graphics to let more people play. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes strategy, RTS, Star Wars, and even casual gamers. Expand
  28. DanielH.
    Feb 19, 2006
    This Game is the best star wars game ever, if you think the graphics are bad turn up the settings. Toby D needs prozac and a brain. theres nothing better than smashing into system with a fleet of star destroyers.
  29. D.E.
    Feb 20, 2006
    I have been in the gaming industry for over 7 years and a gamer since birth. I have played every major RTS that has come along. I was a little bummed with the demo and was bracing myself for mediocre game yet after going to three different stores I finally found a copy as they are all SOLD OUT. Once I stuck this baby in I was hooked. I played the skirmish and galactic conquest modes all I have been in the gaming industry for over 7 years and a gamer since birth. I have played every major RTS that has come along. I was a little bummed with the demo and was bracing myself for mediocre game yet after going to three different stores I finally found a copy as they are all SOLD OUT. Once I stuck this baby in I was hooked. I played the skirmish and galactic conquest modes all weekend long and haven't even gotten into the MP and campaign modes. The gameplay had so many options on how to play an RTS unlike any other RTS before it. I am tired of the old gather resources, build up army, and attack. SWEAW gave me a unique way to play the game in every mode. It was like playing Home world, C&C, Age, & starcraft all rolled into one great game. All Hail Petroglyph and may we have many many more RTS games from you in the future. Expand
  30. GlynneF.
    Feb 26, 2006
    this game plays like c&c and feels like it BUT STARWARS! the space batlles overall the best land battles good but could be better and the rest is top notch good sound affects and good storyline int he campaign overall i would say a MAJOR succes for lucasarts.
  31. NateW.
    May 30, 2006
    it's totally awesome. the sound and graphics are the best for a RTS game.
  32. FredG.
    Mar 15, 2007
    H.is game is so much fun I couldn't stop playing even for dinner. Empire at War is just right for difficulty, not to easy and not to hard. But if you like hard you can crank up the difficulty. The space battles are truly awesome, being able to command a fleet of star destroyers and the death star is totally cool. I haven't played many RTS games, but after playing EAW it made me H.is game is so much fun I couldn't stop playing even for dinner. Empire at War is just right for difficulty, not to easy and not to hard. But if you like hard you can crank up the difficulty. The space battles are truly awesome, being able to command a fleet of star destroyers and the death star is totally cool. I haven't played many RTS games, but after playing EAW it made me think that RTS games aren't that bad at all. I would definitely recommend it to those who like RTS games and even those that don't. If you like to make maps you can download the editor. It's pretty easy to use and a lot of fun. Expand
  33. FilhaberH.
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hands down one of the best Star Wars RTS games to date. The space battles are truly epic and the game looks great on max detail with a good video card. If you like RTS games and like Star Wars, Empire at War is a must have game.
  34. MikeO.
    Feb 15, 2006
    Awesome! This game is soo much fun to play. They actually have made a fun RTS without having to stick to the same old outdated gameplay style like (BFME 2, AOE 3). This game is a must have for any RTS fan.
  35. JillD.
    Feb 18, 2006
    Just got it and I'm loving it.
  36. Twelvefield
    Feb 22, 2006
    Is Empire At War more or less a dressed-up version of Rebellion? Yes. It definitely does the things that Rebellion did right, and it avoids many of the things Rebellion did wrong -- it's one of the best-looking SW games around, if not the best (as long as you don't use the zoom too much!) EAW does take a long time to play out, and some of the strategy can be repetitive. Plus, if Is Empire At War more or less a dressed-up version of Rebellion? Yes. It definitely does the things that Rebellion did right, and it avoids many of the things Rebellion did wrong -- it's one of the best-looking SW games around, if not the best (as long as you don't use the zoom too much!) EAW does take a long time to play out, and some of the strategy can be repetitive. Plus, if you get stalemated by the strategic map, it's hard to get past certain phases of the game. The controls are easy to use, and the game is largely bug free and smooth-running, if you have a good system. Multiplayer is actually rather fun, in that human opponents will do things the computer wouldn't think of. The multiplayer setup is through GameSpy, which can be both a blessing and a curse, but once you get past that, playing on-line is easy, at least with the most recent official patch. EAW does a lot of things and covers much ground in the Star Wars universe. It's certainly an ambitious game, and deserves some solid gaming time. However, because EAW has so many different things to do, it never quite excels at any of them, so if you're expecting specific scenarios or outcomes based on the books or movies, or even based on other RTS or Star Wars games, you may be disappointed. On the other hand, if chasing after legions of panicked footsoldiers in your very own AT-AT tickles your fancy, then EAW will certainly keep you and your online friends amused. Expand
  37. LukasK.
    Mar 29, 2006
    Very good game but it's quite short. I was done with this game in 20 hours. I mean single player. Exactly storyline. But it's very good. You must be good in economy, strategy and tactic. I won a battle against 10 big machines (I don't know how their are called exactly.) with 2 squad of marines and one factory. If you like RTS you should play this game.
  38. Nov 16, 2015
    The best Star Wars game ever made! I love it.
    Noone have the ability to do something so good. Buy it!
    The expansion are fantastica and there are a lot of Universe Expanse caracther!
  39. Nov 7, 2016
    The best part of this game is the epic galactic conquest. Galactic conquest is absorbing and meaty especially the space battles as you struggle for space supremecy before you can take over the planet. The ai with the planet land battles can be a tad weird and I generally auto play them
  40. Aug 17, 2015
    this game is better than most games of today i miss the old days of effort that was put into video games nowadays developers get tons of time and make ****
  41. Mar 28, 2016
    i have had the game on steam for a few years, i still love it to this day. its not the perfect game but it is very very fun. if i were to lose my steam account to a hacker, not only would i be destroyed because of all the games i lost, but i would be sad because i lost empire at war
  42. Aug 22, 2016
    This game is amazing! For me, there's only one con and many pros on this.

This game is amazing! For me, there's only one con and many pros on this.

Con: later on in the game, you'll be able to predict its patterns and thus be able to defeat them easily in easy, middle, and hard levels. The difficulty of this game is more on stronger/harder-hit units or more amount of units deployed in combat, than on actually increasing the A.I.'s intelligence that you're competing against. Increasing A.I.'s intelligence would make one feel like they're playing chess against them; that's very vital on making a best strategy game.

Pros: awesome CGI, the strategic/tactical challenges you'll initially encounter, some characters, units, storytelling, and pretty much everything else. This game was very addicting to me. When I've bought it, I've played it for hours until I get bored w/ it and then left for some time; one week later, I'm still playing it again.

For someone who's 1) a Star Wars fan, 2) likes strategy games like Ages of Empire, and 3) really into CGI 3D effects, this game is it.
  43. Apr 12, 2017
    The game itself is a 6 to 7, but with mods like Phoenix Rising (For Forces of Corruption Expansion) it becomes a really epic game with a score of 9 to 10, with the only downside, that the AI can't handle really large scale galactic campaigns which span more than 40 hours.

Though i wouldn't say that the AI is innately useless, it's probably just bugged somewhere. With the Phoenix Rising mod for instance: I've built about 1.000 very large Destroyers with some hundred smaller Cruisers for their support, but no small fighter squadrons. With time i obliterated the enemies fleet, blew into space all of its destroyers and cruisers, but at a certain point the AI made a remarkable switch, it recognized that its destroyers and cruisers were no match for me and that my weakspot was defense against small bomber fleets. It started to create dozens over dozens of them and it began to destroy a solid 30% of my destroyers and cruisers.

In the meantime i was building a lot of specialized fighter squadrons to hunt its bomber squadrons down, when i was ready i assigned to all of my destroyer and cruiser fleets a bunch of them, closing my last remaining weakspot. From there on the AI seemed to resign, it just built space station and defense structures on the ground, but never again made an attack.

All in all: First playthrough with the vanilla game is great, same for the FoC Expansion, but the real fun begins with the mods, which not only bring mayor gameplay improvements, but also bring a sh**ton of SW:Expanded Universe lore to the game, they are the REAL EaW Experience.

1. Empire at War hits all the right notes if you're a Star Wars fan, but be prepared to grind out your victories.
  2. Game Informer
    It's not every day that a licensed game actually makes its source material cooler, especially when you are talking about Star Wars. [Mar 2006, p.114]
    Star Wars: Empire at War definitely scores big in terms of style. Gamers who are looking for an authentic Star Wars experience will not be disappointed with this one... What really stinks is that the actual gameplay isn't exciting enough to support the setting.