9.0

1. Jul 28, 2013
    Overall a fantastic game. Easy to play, very entertaining. Storytelling, characters, plot, lore are absolutely great. Maybe a bit too easy on normal difficulty, and sometimes a bit lengthy due to a lot of running around in the same areas, but still one of my all time favorites. The sequel is good, but not a match to this game.
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    Quite simply the greatest game I've ever played. So much joy to be had in this game. It is timeless. I've played this through at least 4 times and I don't replay games often. This game reminded us all about how good Star Wars could be.
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    This is my favorite game of all time i played it on the original xbox and have beaten over 8 times over the past decade (i still have the original game with the xbox). This game i feel is timeless my reasons being is it has superb story telling, character development, difficult choices, deep history, great voice acting and if you are hardcore about star wars it flushes out the universe soThis is my favorite game of all time i played it on the original xbox and have beaten over 8 times over the past decade (i still have the original game with the xbox). This game i feel is timeless my reasons being is it has superb story telling, character development, difficult choices, deep history, great voice acting and if you are hardcore about star wars it flushes out the universe so beautifully with a setting fresh and interesting. If enjoyed a more strategic combat than this has it, or you can adjust some setting to make it a little more fast pace. I have never played the PC version but this game is a must play its a classic that really pushed story telling to a whole new level. Expand
  4. Nov 2, 2013
    The KotOR series is one of my favourite series. When I first played the game, I had high hopes for it. The game impressed me, despite its age. Few games give as many choices, plot twists, and lovable characters. Sadly, I did get stuck and ended up looking up a quick guide, which ended up spoiling a bit plot twist.
  5. MrZ
    Dec 1, 2013
    This is by far one of my personal favorites. I played this game years ago when I purchased the Star Wars Best of PC pack and was hooked. As a young Star Wars fan, when I started playing it, I was absolutely immersed in the story. Since it takes place long before the movies, it brings about a new and interesting story. Although not the best by today's standards, I still play it to this day.
  6. Dec 2, 2013
    If i had to describe the game in one word it would be "masterpiece". it is amazing how this game has a better story and more interesting characters then the Star Wars prequel trilogy that opens up the star wars universe in ways you couldn't imagine at the time. The RPG style gameplay works to perfection with an addicting leveling up system that makes you want to keep playing.
  7. Jun 30, 2014
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic gives you an incredible level of control over your character. You feel a true connection to them as their path is chosen by you, the player. Their story is yours to craft however you want. The graphics for this game, especially in the cut scenes, are phenomenal for it's time and some still stand up today. The story driven elements are perfectly suitedStar Wars: Knights of the Old Republic gives you an incredible level of control over your character. You feel a true connection to them as their path is chosen by you, the player. Their story is yours to craft however you want. The graphics for this game, especially in the cut scenes, are phenomenal for it's time and some still stand up today. The story driven elements are perfectly suited to it's light side dark side karma-like mechanic. The combat system is very innovative allowing for strategy rather than charging opponents head on - very unique design. Gameplay is slick and easy, and there aren't enough words for how I would love to compliment this game. A very trademark game of Bioware. The best Star Wars video game ever and my all time favorite game. Expand
  8. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i absolutely love this game,this is the perfect RPG
    the story makes you feel like you're part of it,
    the work that Old Bioware did here was a masterpiece,the characters are done brilliant,the Revan Plot twist was one of my biggest 'Wow' moments in my gamer life,the story is done very well
    the gameplay is good for a RPG,the romance with Bastila was good and funny at the same time
    my favourite character was HK-47 with his dark humor
    suggestion:go buy it now with Kotor 2,this is what modern RPGs should take inspiration from.
  9. Nov 7, 2014
    This is and has always been my favorite game ever,When i was just a kid about 7 i was given this game for my birthday
    and ever since then I've played it over and over,This is the game that got me into video games This is the game that got me to love star wars,I love everything about this game,some people might find it not as amazing as me but i do recommend that you buy and play this Amazing,Breathtaking,Beautiful Experience of a Game.
  10. Dec 1, 2014
    Fun ass game, intriguing story nice graphics for its time (come on guys it's a 2003 game.) and interesting planets and people. What the **** is there for me not to like?
  11. Nov 26, 2014
    Well, what can I tell you about this game?
    I can tell for sure it is my favorite!
    I can tell that I have played thought the story for something like 10 times since 2004.
    I can tell that you need to arm yourself with all the best modifications(textures, resolution, cut content) and start this FANTASTIC journey right now!
  12. Dec 30, 2014
    The graphics are terrible, the combat is bad, and the story is average. For its time this game was really good. The main problem i have with this game is that it costs $10. Why is this a problem well its because it is outdated and they still charge $10. Also, because there is the Old Republic out why buy this pile of junk. You can buy it for only not 5, not 3, but 0 dollars. The combatThe graphics are terrible, the combat is bad, and the story is average. For its time this game was really good. The main problem i have with this game is that it costs $10. Why is this a problem well its because it is outdated and they still charge $10. Also, because there is the Old Republic out why buy this pile of junk. You can buy it for only not 5, not 3, but 0 dollars. The combat of this game is just very robotic. You move like your lagging. There is nothing special about it. A problem I have with this game is that you do not get a lightsaber for 2-3 hours of the game + why the heck are swords in the game and sometimes even more powerful? The enemies you fight along the way get repetitive. The only thing i find okay is the story. Do not buy this game it has a sale or something. Expand
  13. Feb 6, 2011
    I'm a gamer and Star Wars fan... but I hate this game. The graphics are terrible even for 2003. No widescreen for example. The gameplay is boring. The story is boring and long drawn out. I couldn't play it more than 3 hours. I want to like this game, but it just sucks. Now I can't submit my score with Chrome OR IE. These are rigged votes
  14. May 5, 2014
    A very solid RPG that helped to establish BioWare's pre-EA reputation as one of the best developers in the business. Strong characters, multiple varied environments, a variety of gameplay types, and an interesting narrative that comes to a satisfying conclusion. (Unlike the sequel.)
    It's a 2003 release, so the graphics, combat, inventory management, and long travel/exploration times should be expected. That said, the lightsaber battles are great, and the game just oozes with charm. You can really see where the inspiration for the Mass Effect series came from.
  15. Jun 17, 2013
    This is one of the classic BioWare RPG. Do I have to say more? This is the first time they are leaving D&D as base of their RPG. The game is still based on pen & paper like rules and feels like sci-fy version on D&D. The story is happening in the universe of Old Republic (the is long before Star Wars movies) so creators have enough space for their own creativity, but still fans of SW willThis is one of the classic BioWare RPG. Do I have to say more? This is the first time they are leaving D&D as base of their RPG. The game is still based on pen & paper like rules and feels like sci-fy version on D&D. The story is happening in the universe of Old Republic (the is long before Star Wars movies) so creators have enough space for their own creativity, but still fans of SW will see lot of familiar places. Player cannot choose any race but human this is little bit shame, but no worries shortly you will find lot of companions, so you would enjoy playing as wookiee or android. As it is common for BioWare every companion have his own agenda and history and would by stepping into conversation when he think he have something to say. As the story will proceed you will be getting more informations from their past and from time to time they will ask you to help them. The story is really great and with twists and stuffs that make RPG good RPG. It will lead you to different planets each is completely different world with own culture, flora, fauna and inhabitants. Main quest is pretty long and there is also lot of side quests I spent 40 h on first play through. The game have good repeatability as you can choose if you are going to complete quests with affliction to light or dark side of the Force plus there are also different possibilities how to solve problems based on yours skill as persuading, stealth, repair, computers, demolition each have its own use an there is now skill that would be there just for numbers as it in many games. The fighting system is intuitive. Fights with easier opponents may feel bit dull, but at least they are quick. You are able to use different items as grenades, mines stimulants, different skills for shooting and melee weapons and also force powers as stun, push-back or throwing your lightsaber.
    Graphic is pretty good and in full HD resolution still look really good as this from 2003. I think this is one of the best RPG ever made a have all those things that nowadays sand box RPG lack depth, emotions you really like some characters and you don't do quests just for money, but you really wan't to help somebody or stop that bad guy.
  16. Apr 3, 2014
    This and the Battlefront series are the greatest Star Wars games ever. Every other SW game is seemingly irrelevant compared to these two. As for KOTOR, the story is set 4000 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire. It has one of the greatest twists I have ever seen. If you say you're a Star Wars fan, but have not played this game, then you're not a true fan. Gameplay is also awesome,This and the Battlefront series are the greatest Star Wars games ever. Every other SW game is seemingly irrelevant compared to these two. As for KOTOR, the story is set 4000 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire. It has one of the greatest twists I have ever seen. If you say you're a Star Wars fan, but have not played this game, then you're not a true fan. Gameplay is also awesome, and you can choose whether to be aligned with the Light Side, or the Dark Side. I'm still waiting for KOTOR 3 as I don't believe The Old Republic (the F2P game) doesn't cut it. Expand
  17. May 30, 2013
    A true masterpiece of role-play genre. Incredible depth in dialogue options gives you numerous ways to resolve any conflict and it is all followed by top-notch voice over. Combine this with a variety of diverse locations and memorable characters and you get a really well thought out game. With a constant choice of dark and light side paths in story progression this game has enormous replay value.
  18. Oct 14, 2014
    Best Star Wars game, that made finally a honor to the Lucas trilogy and to RPG genre together. The story greatly describe a situation when sith and jedi made the history of Republic and themselves. Bringing the best of pc gods Bioware, story, characters acting and completely done traditional rpg motto: choose your way. and this time also, choose your path, the force will be with you.
  19. Mar 14, 2013
    Now I am not gonna say its the best game ever made, it really isn't, its a good game, but nothing incredible. The story is decent, aside from the big twist (which I won't spoil, but is literally the greatest twist ever in a video game, and I mean that, its better then the Spec Ops The Line twist, the To The Moon twist, the black ops twist, seriously, its amazing) the story is a standardNow I am not gonna say its the best game ever made, it really isn't, its a good game, but nothing incredible. The story is decent, aside from the big twist (which I won't spoil, but is literally the greatest twist ever in a video game, and I mean that, its better then the Spec Ops The Line twist, the To The Moon twist, the black ops twist, seriously, its amazing) the story is a standard good vs evil, which compared to the sequels awesome shades of grey comparison of the different sides to the force, its nothing special. It runs fine on Windows 7 after some tinkering (its nowhere near as hard to get running as KoToR 2). The combat is ok, most people insulting the game seem to be because they were expecting an action shooter with melee combat. In reality, its a simplified D&D turn based RPG (yes, it has a under the bonnet D20 rolling your hit chances) with a small party of 3. The graphics are bearable modern day, and were nothing special when they came out. The animations in combat are incredible, with the enemy actually moving to parry attacks and attempt to block enemy shots, instead of just standing still when the enemy attacks, but outside of combat, it gets pretty meh, sometimes falling to bethesda level bad. It has a good amount of gameplay despite almost being linear (24 hours). You do have choices, but rarely do you get the best kind of choice where both options have significant downsides and upsides, making the choice difficult. The skills are ok, although security is completely useless (you can break every storage container open without breaking items inside like in the sequel). Jedi powers are powerful...if your character is completely based around them which can cause early game to be an ass since your not a jedi at the start. Even the immune to force final boss can have his immunity nuetralized. There is some character development, but it is nowhere near at the level of Bioware's later series Mass Effect. In summary, its a good game, but its nothings special. I do recomend it tho, since that twist is in fact something special, and you don't get the same shock value if you just look it up. (Seriously, its one of those incredible twists where its both completely unexpected, even tho the game CONSTANTLY hinted on it) Expand
  20. Jan 7, 2013
    Old looking graphics glitch ridden turn based combat plus some annoying annoying puzzles. A couple of performance issues requiring to tweak the 'ini file' and having to play in windowed mode to get through the Shadowlands did not put me off. I found it worth playing for the great storyline also its does have some replay value due to the light/dark choices in game.
  21. Jan 2, 2015
    Before KOTOR, Star Wars games were notorious to be very bad. KOTOR broke that trend. KOTOR was an instant hit, and is one of the best RPG's ever made.

KOTOR was crafted at the tail end of what we gamers would like to call, the "Golden Age" of videogames. Lasting roughly from 1996-2004, this was a very exciting time for video games. Huge leaps in innovation were seen, developers and publishers took risks, and we saw top quality games being churned out every year. This was the age of SquareSoft's final fantasies and Blizzard's Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft series.

And then there was KOTOR and Bioware.

KOTOR has it all deep gameplay, excellent story and graphics all with a classic Star Wars soundtrack, with new and familiar tunes. KOTOR is Bioware's masterpiece, only comparable to Mass Effect 2. Bioware had managed to blend the fundamentals of traditional DnD gameplay with the more modern aspects of computer action rpg. The result is a fantastic game which pays homage to its roots while expanding gameplay to seamless, action fun with deep gameplay mechanics.

Action isnt broken up through battle-rest-battle, but rather streamlined, and Force abilities (Spells) do not have to be recharged through resting. Instead of the traditional DnD alignment system, we are given a streamlined, good-neutral-evil alignment through actions, and you will see that chage through the blue to red smoke behind your character. We also have a simplified class system. Though at first glance it may seem too simple, it is much deeper than what it lets on, and is more forgiving to players that dont choose the right feats.

But KOTOR really shines is the story. KOTOR's story is one of the best of what videogames have to offer. The writing team for KOTOR truly had their moment here. The story is so engaging, so brilliant it will have you glued to the game. In fact, I am not surprised if there are fans that are trying to make their own fan movie of KOTOR. The story is just that damn good. KOTOR really started the trend of Player Choice, as your actions have their consequences, and not just with alignment changes. Remember to play a male PC, as you'll get the full force of the story, with a meaningful romance that affects the story to the very end.

If you havent played KOTOR, you are seriously missing out on one of the best RPG's ever made. A classic.
  22. Jan 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am just a novice game player, but I enjoy it and play often. This game, while very intriguing and attractive in most senses, has a few MAJOR flaws. In the early game stages, information is difficult to come by and money to support the characters during the quests is next to impossible to acquire, making the game somewhat boring at times. I want to play the game not some stupid card game that you've got approx. 40-50% of winning, and the stakes are too low to be of much interest anyway. Or swoop bike racing that you can't beat the lowest time and dump 1000 credits trying . The money should be easier to come by without having to turn to the dark side and murdering people for it. Thats only the beginning of the problems. Sometime the characters just stand there while being mauled by a gang of sand people or other creatures that wind up killing your party before a light saber or blaster can be drawn. Something is wrong with the game command interface. Great story and respectable graphics, but the glitches and continuity are not very good, in my opinion. Expand
  23. Jun 13, 2014
    I solved widescreen and UI stretch problem in both of the KOTOR games with some online solution. Now I can relive the wonderful game in full HD and widescreen.
  24. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    This is another classic who set the limit of PC Games far too high. Has its flaws but story and immersion propel it to 10. Must play if you haven't even if you aren't a Star Wars fan.
  25. Mar 6, 2013
    Just replayed this after several years and despite having to jump through some hoops to make it work on a modern computer this game is still just as amazing as it was years ago.
  26. Apr 16, 2013
    Great RPG. Great Star Wars game. Enjoyed it from A to Z. So much information about the Star Wars universe. Its hard to believe this game was made in 2003 since it is so full of information and there is so much to do and learn in this universe. No wonder why people are asking for KOTOR3 so much.
  27. Dec 20, 2013
    There are a lot of things could have gone wrong during the development of this game, simply because it is a licensed game. Bioware however has created a beautiful world that, while defintiely Star Wars, has a unique feel all it's own. In traditional RPG fashion, the combat consists of turns, but you are free to move, pause, and issue commands during these turns. If your not a huge fan ofThere are a lot of things could have gone wrong during the development of this game, simply because it is a licensed game. Bioware however has created a beautiful world that, while defintiely Star Wars, has a unique feel all it's own. In traditional RPG fashion, the combat consists of turns, but you are free to move, pause, and issue commands during these turns. If your not a huge fan of turn-based combat, it moves fast enough to keep you on your toes. The story of this game is the real draw though, I don't want to spoil it for the few who haven't gone through it, but there is a reason it is considered one of the best game endings. All in all despite a few technical problems with the game, it is a well crafted, amazing adventure everyone should enjoy. Expand
  28. Apr 6, 2013
    My friend bought this game for my birthday telling me that its literally the best game he's ever played. i gave it three hours of excruciating playtime before i determined that despite my friends opinions, i hate this game. i love BioWare and mass effect series, but this game sucks. also i had two game breaking bugs within an hour of playtime.
  29. May 21, 2014
    Stars Wars Knights of the Old Republic has so much lore that it could stand by itself in a entirely separate star wars universe, I would rank Kotor in similarity with the likes of Deus Ex, what they both have in common is that you can play the game at least 50 times and still have a different outcome, what i mean is your decisions and actions through the games various dialogue optionsStars Wars Knights of the Old Republic has so much lore that it could stand by itself in a entirely separate star wars universe, I would rank Kotor in similarity with the likes of Deus Ex, what they both have in common is that you can play the game at least 50 times and still have a different outcome, what i mean is your decisions and actions through the games various dialogue options count and effect the games overall outcome. In my opinion Kotor is the few RPG's that defined the genre. I would recommend this to any RPG/Star Wars fan or gamer alike. Expand
  30. Jun 5, 2013
    Probably the best Star Wars game of all time, and one of the greatest role-playing games ever produced. You get an incredibly engrossing story with tons of customization. This means you get tons of different feats, powers, equipment, weapons, etc. to use at your disposal, along with three classes to choose from at the start. With so many side quests to do and decisions to make (leading youProbably the best Star Wars game of all time, and one of the greatest role-playing games ever produced. You get an incredibly engrossing story with tons of customization. This means you get tons of different feats, powers, equipment, weapons, etc. to use at your disposal, along with three classes to choose from at the start. With so many side quests to do and decisions to make (leading you towards the light side or dark side, with multiple endings too), no single playthrough will be the same. That's really saying something especially considering that the game is about 40 hours long, so there's definitely some very hefty replay value.

The way that Bioware let us be who we are as a person (all set in the glorious Star Wars universe) is simply astounding. There are tons of planets to visit, and it's pretty amazing to see all of them come to life. There are tons of characters to talk to on each planet; some can give you advice, some gamble, some give you quests, while others will even fight you. Many characters (particularly my party members) are extremely memorable like the fan favorite HK-47, for example. I found myself become very attached to some, and the interaction is basically limitless. By the way, the voice acting (which you'll be hearing quite a bit) is incredible. The lip syncing is pretty good as well. And of course, the graphics are great, especially for the time.

This is an RPG, so you will continuously get stronger, and I felt extremely powerful by the end. The fighting system is excellent. Basically, you choose the moves you want to perform before fighting and the battle plays out in real-time. A die is rolled in order to decide whether your attack will land or not. All in all, it works very well. Everything is pretty smooth, and I didn't encounter many glitches. If you're going to buy it on Steam, be wary of playing it on Windows 7, as there could potentially be TONS of glitches.

All in all, this is a groundbreaking, near-perfect game that will forever stand the test of time. In my mind, it will probably be considered a classic in a few years from now. It's that good. If you haven't played this Bioware masterpiece yet, then GO PLAY IT NOW. Even if you're not a Star Wars fan. You'll love every bit and will never forget it!
  31. Jun 27, 2013
    Really fun and great leveling but nearly none hl content and to many bug on patches.
    Pvp was fun tought at max lvl.

Had a great time playing overall but you soon get bored when at max level.
  32. Jul 26, 2013
    I played KOTOR when it was originally released 10 years ago and thought it was great. So when I found it on Steam I of course had to download and replay it. And what do you know... it was still great. If you like RPGs, story-driven games and/or Star wars stuff, you should try this one out.

Some words of warning. I didn't really mind the graphics (after setting every graphics setting to max), but if you haven't played any older games, it might be an issue for you. Especially character and facial animation are very simplistic by today's standards. The game also has problems with Win 7. There are some instructions how to get around this, but at least for me, it took some experimenting before the game started working.
  33. Jul 25, 2013
    A legend, this game changed the whole RPG genre and started the Bioware RPG domination. Writing cons is faster so lets get to it: Fights are boring, back in 2003 it was something new and great but after 10 years it revelaed its true boring nature. Graphics werent amazing even in 2003 and now they look bad. I had something more on my mind but i cant remember what, this game is the best SWA legend, this game changed the whole RPG genre and started the Bioware RPG domination. Writing cons is faster so lets get to it: Fights are boring, back in 2003 it was something new and great but after 10 years it revelaed its true boring nature. Graphics werent amazing even in 2003 and now they look bad. I had something more on my mind but i cant remember what, this game is the best SW game ever released and its one of the best games of history. Expand
  34. Sep 11, 2013
    One of the best RPGs ever made.

Gameplay 8
    Story 9
    Sound 10

If you're a fan of games like Mass effect.... PLAY THIS GAME! and be prepared for the best video game, Star wars experience ever made.
  35. Mar 5, 2014
    A good story, but its just shy of passive entertainment.

This was (for me) the beginning of the end of Bioware as a great RPG-maker. Baldur's Gate 2 is their final epic masterpiece. This was a good story, with prototype-level gameplay. When I was told about it by colleagues (console players), I expected the greatest game experience of my life. I was stunned to see how pathetic the
    A good story, but its just shy of passive entertainment.

This was a good story, with prototype-level gameplay. When I was told about it by colleagues (console players), I expected the greatest game experience of my life. I was stunned to see how pathetic the gameplay was and how great the story was.

No doubt about it, its one of the most wonderful stories ever made into a game. And one of the most awful "games" ever made from a gameplay standpoint. I'll move it a bump over average based on the excellent story, but regardless of how much this generation enjoys passive entertainment, this game began a downward spiral in RPG gameplay that ruined the genre for almost a decade (with a few notable exceptions).
  36. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is a must buy, 31hours of gameplay and more. Some small bugs like crashing and bad ally AI when walking keeps it from a 10/10. I only hope for a 3rd game
  37. Aug 2, 2014
    This was the first game which I ever truly fell in love with, by which I mean I could not suppress the urge to replay it year after year. This review will be short, as it has no need to be otherwise.

The game is an RPG, which is a genre it wears supremely. It offers the MOST immersive experience I perhaps have ever seen from a video game; it's story is intriguing, clever, funny, full of twists, choice driven and downright captivating.
    The graphics are very nice for the time in which the game was made, and have aged very well.
    The soundtrack is absolutely exquisite, rivaling the original Star Wars music.
    Voice acting is without equal, and combat is based on the Dungeons and Dungeons familiar setup which is extremely tactical and yet also fun.

To conclude, the game in my opinion is damn near flawless, I would recommend it to anyone, and if that said person does not enjoy it, I will clearly have little in common with them!
  38. Sep 24, 2013
    Incluso una década después, para mí, sigue invicto. Un rpg como Dios manda, ambientado en el universo de Star Wars. Buena banda sonora, buenos personajes, excelente mecánica de juego, en general...¿qué mas se puede pedir?
  39. Oct 17, 2013
    Personally, i think it rivals Halo as the best game for the original Xbox. Looking back at it 10 years later, I have yet to play a game that comes close to the story telling or character development like this game has. It has a turn based combat system, which would seem to get repetitive on paper, but harder settings make it useful and thought provoking. Recent RPGs like Mass Effect (whoPersonally, i think it rivals Halo as the best game for the original Xbox. Looking back at it 10 years later, I have yet to play a game that comes close to the story telling or character development like this game has. It has a turn based combat system, which would seem to get repetitive on paper, but harder settings make it useful and thought provoking. Recent RPGs like Mass Effect (who has the same developer, but trust me when i say when KOTOR has a story that flows better), Skyrim, and Borderlands all have elements of great character design, exploration, and game mechanics respectively, but Knights of the Old Republic has them all, and that makes it a great game.

Overall, if you like the Star Wars lore, or like RPGs, buy it ASAP. If you aren't, I would borrow and try it anyway. It's that good. Who knows, maybe it'll become your favorite too.
  40. Oct 22, 2013
    Amazing game. It has some decisions that will put people off, some may not like the combat, think the first planet goes on a bit too long, dislike a few characters etc... but for me everything is perfect. I think my favourite part of the game are the worlds you visit. They are all very unique and you'll want to explore every corner of them and fulfill every side quest.
  41. Dec 21, 2013
    Great game for its time. Great characters, writing, story (with an amazing twist), pacing, gameplay, an amazing game overall, a love letter to all Star Wars fans and one of the best RPG's ever made
  42. Sep 11, 2014
    In my opinion, this is the perfect RPG. Incredible story, great mechanics with combat, customization, and story (as it is a Bioware game). It was the best game on the original Xbox, and is compatible with the 360 too. And with it on PC, as well as copies now going for dirt cheap, there is no reason why you shouldn't pick this up if you're a Star Wars fan and/or RPG fan. Incredible game,In my opinion, this is the perfect RPG. Incredible story, great mechanics with combat, customization, and story (as it is a Bioware game). It was the best game on the original Xbox, and is compatible with the 360 too. And with it on PC, as well as copies now going for dirt cheap, there is no reason why you shouldn't pick this up if you're a Star Wars fan and/or RPG fan. Incredible game, deserves highest praise. 10/10 Expand
  43. May 6, 2014
    I want to start off by saying this is one of my favorite RPG's of all time, honestly I lost count of how many times I have played this game after 4 or 5 times and yes that is how much I like it. Where to begin, lets start with the combat system. Nothing that really complex you equip you and your characters with armor and weapons along with shields and upgrades to make them more effectiveI want to start off by saying this is one of my favorite RPG's of all time, honestly I lost count of how many times I have played this game after 4 or 5 times and yes that is how much I like it. Where to begin, lets start with the combat system. Nothing that really complex you equip you and your characters with armor and weapons along with shields and upgrades to make them more effective in combat along with consumables like medpacs to heal yourself. The Combat is turn based but in real time although you can pause the game and plan each of you and your companions moves and then attack. Now lets get to the story. This really is the best Star Wars Story ever written, all the characters are extremely well done especially Bastilla Shan and the Mysterious Darth Revan. Some of the original music made into this game but I appreciate most about the Soundtrack is that the game contained an original Star Wars soundtrack mostly and it fit right in with the universe. This being Bioware I found it at no surprise that the voice acting was superb in every way from Jennifer Hale's Bastilla to Carolyn Seymour's Admiral Dodonna and even though that is a relatively small part it was done so well. I liked Everything about this game and OH MY GOD the plot twist in the middle of them game took me completely by surprise and still gets me every time I play the game. This game has so much story to it that if I tried to explain it all it would ruin it because I would spoil everything and the game is so centered around this amazing story that it really would ruin the game if I told you everything. But here are the basics You wake up on a Republic cruiser under attack then you crash on the Planet Taris with Carth Onasi who is a republic pilot and you have to Find Bastilla who is a Jedi master with a unique ability called battle meditation which can sway the tide of any battle. Once you find her on the planet she sees your force sensitive and takes you to become a Jedi on Dantooine there you discover a threat to the galaxy and you are sent to 4 main and beautifully created planets to find the pieces of the puzzle. I did not find a whole lot to complain about in this game, if I had to choose something it would be one time in my whole 5 playthroughs and beyond my game completely froze but that was one time and it has not happened since. One last thing I want to say about this game is if you are interested in modding Kotor 1 or Kotor 2 download the kotor save game editor mod it is really cool. If you ever were on the fence about buying this game get it now, Its only 10 dollars on steam right now just like Kotor 2, buy it if you are RPG fans, buy it if you are Star Wars fans especially and even if you like video games in general you owe it to yourself to experience this amazing game. Expand
  44. Feb 17, 2014
    This game was fantastic. The storyline is very interesting and strong enough to keep you trucking through the low points of the game. Recommended for anyone who likes good stories, BioWare or Star Wars. Not Recommended for anyone who cannot tolerate the "press button to attack" system or someone who wants a Gameplay > Story star wars game (see Star Wars Battlefront if so)
  45. Jan 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best cRPG's I have ever played and is in my opinion on par with BG. The story is intelligent, interesting and surprising. The game play is great and the environment is captivating and well in tone with the game. I have played it through twice, and each time I have chosen the path of evil. From what I've been told from friends, the game was to easy if one chose the route of good, because of the spell "speed", but even these people were mesmerized by the game. I can do nothing but recommend this game to every fan of the RPG genre, because it has one of the most awesome story lines and game play of any RPG out there. Expand
  46. Mar 10, 2014
    Great RPG, you simply cannot stop playing it. RPG of this generation. Even if it is old, it's unique. It revolutionized gaming. .
  47. Feb 9, 2014
    Easily one of my favorite games of all time. Originally had it on Xbox and later re-purchased it on PC, I have played this game through time and time again, each time as rewarding as the last. This game has an immersive story, an ingenious plot (with the best twist of all time), great game mechanics, and is truly just an excellent game; it is definitely deserving of its praised status andEasily one of my favorite games of all time. Originally had it on Xbox and later re-purchased it on PC, I have played this game through time and time again, each time as rewarding as the last. This game has an immersive story, an ingenious plot (with the best twist of all time), great game mechanics, and is truly just an excellent game; it is definitely deserving of its praised status and awards. Once you begin, it is impossible to put down. To sum it up: Amazing game. A must-play for Star Wars and RPG fans alike. Expand
  48. Mar 6, 2014
    This is a great game. It's not one thing that makes this game great. In fact if you look at it's parts, you would easily take it apart and not find anything appealing about the game. It's when you actually sit down and play the game that your realize it's awesomeness.

The game is all about story and choices. You get to play the main character. But who and what that main character is or is not is up to you. You even get to choose what he looks like and if he is a he or a she.

The game has so much choice that replayablitiy is a serious asset of the game. You start off as one of 4 none Jedi characters. Then later become one of 4 Jedi classes. Mixing and matching these class combinations gives you essentially 16 different characters to play. But the way they level up these skills is entirely up to you. And there are many skills to choose from.

I wouldn't call it a hardcore combat game, but this game gives you plenty of action. Then to add to the replayablity you can replay the same character and see the changes when you maybe jump from the light to the dark side. This coupled with the many class combos gives even more replayablity. And the differences can be significant enough where the story feels totally different. They even let you choose the areas you visit in any order you want. Then you not only have your story but each of your companions has their own story.

On top of this wonderful cake, they give you a cherry on top with plenty of mini games to keep you from getting bored. Like speeder racing, a card game you can gamble your hard won earnings on. An upgrade system for all your equipment etc.

And the incredible part is the story is different when you replay. But it is so familiar you feel like you are in charge. You may know the ending, but the choices you make can really put a twist on your story.
  49. May 8, 2014
    If you're a Star Wars fanatic I will recommend playing this game! It is by far one of the best games I played on the Xbox/PC. The story is so good you WILL want to carry on playing. You have the choice to pick out of either the dark side of the force or the light side and your decisions you make will take affect towards your game-play experience. There are 6+ planets if I rememberIf you're a Star Wars fanatic I will recommend playing this game! It is by far one of the best games I played on the Xbox/PC. The story is so good you WILL want to carry on playing. You have the choice to pick out of either the dark side of the force or the light side and your decisions you make will take affect towards your game-play experience. There are 6+ planets if I remember correctly, all which take part in the second game. I played this on release so I cannot remember how many planets there actually are. Anyhow it's a must buy and a 10/10 from me; the second game is just as good, if not better. Expand
  50. Jun 6, 2014
    That's my first game. I love Kotor, it's so amazing. And that's all, what can I say. Peoples, jast buy that things, and we forgive anything, what you see before.
  51. Jan 18, 2015
    Even though it is an old game I decided to buy it as it received such praise and a high rating.

I know KOTOR is an old game, I liked the Star Wars movies and enjoyed watching them, but have never been a rabid fan. My screen is 1920x1080, but there was no option for wide screen with 1280x1024 being the widest option with not even an option to play in windowed mode. I know the

I know the graphics are old and don't look that good as it is, but the game looks even more terrible since I can't optomise the screen.

Characters end up looking squashed, short and wierdly wide looking. Can't even customise how my character looks. Only get to choose out of several faces, a face I like best. Doesn't even give you minor choice of choosing hair or eye colour.

Combat is boring. With a bug that sometimes after battle my character end ups frozen not able to move unless I reload. As well as occasional crashing, though the game only crashed around half a dozen times. I did not have any problems getting the game to run, I have windows 7 64 bit and my PC is only 3 years old.

Quests are rather dull and unimaginative, mostly just fetch this or kill that.
    With a lot of endless walking down boring corridors.

The game is sort of alright. Though Overhyped. To me it's not as good as most make out.
    There are heaps better more enjoyable RPG's out there, that aren't so flawed.

The awesome story, imaginative deep star wars Universe and interesting characters is the only thing for me that makes this game worth playing.

WARNING SPOILERS:

Also in the last battle I did not have any offensive force powers, only support powers. As I made my character support and the other jedi's in my party more offensive. I did not realise this would be a bad thing till I got to the last boss.

So since you can only fight Malak solo and he leeches health from the jedi trapped in the tanks every time I damage him, is annoying as the only way to destroy the tanks is with offensive force powers which I do not have, so this made the battle very long, frustrating and drawn out. I don't want to start the game again and don't have any previous saves. I just used master speed to run away and avoid him and lay down mines, so he gets damaged a bit then drains a tank to heal, kept doing that until he drained all tanks before facing him so the fight would be more fair.

Then fought him with light sabre and master speed and healing, use stimulants and then run off when my force energy gets low and keep running until it replenishes and repeat until he goes down, it took quite a while though and finally managed to beat him and complete the game and get a rather dull game ending.

I was originally going to rate the game a 7 but because of the game punishing you if you chose no offensive powers with no other way to destroy the tanks and no respec if you made a mistake which I did not realise would happen as I wanted to play as a support class, seems very flawed and seems to make it that you can only beat the game best as a soldier. This game is way too old and flawed to recomend anymore.
  52. Dec 10, 2014
    There aren't many games that are actually deserving of a perfect "10/10" rating in my book - but this is one of them. It is a flawless Star Wars based RPG that oozes brilliance at every turn.

The game is based on the original NWN in terms of engine and the "way things work". It does a masterful job of everything - the graphics, sound, music, voice acting, story, game mechanics are all absolutely perfect. You could literally not want more from a game.

Jimbo Rating: 10/10

1. The level of control that you have over your characters' actions is truly remarkable... Simply put, this is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the original trilogy. [Feb 2004, p.112]
  2. This is a class act that builds and extends the Star Wars game franchise and PC gamers are getting something their kindred XBOX owners loved to bits and will not be disappointed in any way.
  3. It offers some pretty fundamental improvements over the Xbox version and stands as one of the best PC RPGs out there.