9.0

1. Oct 26, 2010
    The best thing to have ever happened to Star Wars. KOTOR's story is unlike anything else. Any true Star Wars fan or fan of video games in general needs to get over the aged gameplay elements and graphics in order see one of the most genius video game stories in history.
  2. Apr 18, 2011
    i played this game back when it was released and i actually liked this game. the story plot i didnt pay attention to but the gameplay was awesome. i played on the original xbox and the fighting was smooth. on pc i dont know it might suck. but xbox version rocked
  3. Feb 12, 2012
    KotOR was not without its flaws, but a great classic nonetheless. Systemically, it borrowed from thew Baldur's Gates and other 'pause and plan' combat RPG's... The pause and plan combat is definitely not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. The characters were the stars of the show. I mean, HK47, mirite?
  4. Dec 2, 2010
    I love this game. The game play is immersive and purely strategic. You have to decide whether or not you want to throw a grenade, whether or not to use the force or conserve your energy, what melee attack you want to use, how to use your mines and along with that, there's an actual story line! This will definitely be a game to beat. It even has it's own special, original combat system! This is also shown to be a true RPG (not one of those fake ones that claim to one) by allowing the player to make choices that align his/her player to the dark side or light side, whether it be to help someone, give away someones position, stand for what's right or wrong, or merely kill someone. I give this ten out of ten. Expand
  5. Oct 23, 2010
    This is the definite version of this game. The updated graphics and added features like quests and overall tweaks makes a great game something amazing.
  6. Jul 22, 2011
    I originally completed this when it first came out and remember enjoying it thoroughly, six or seven years down the line and I picked it up on Steam for a bargain £3 to replace my knackered CDROM copy, and decided to give the game a replay. Initial thoughts: the years have not been kind to KOTOR, however perseverance opened up a truly brilliant (Star Wars) game - the dated visuals haven't done the game any favours but they don't hinder one's enjoyment of the title either, this kept me hooked for a full 22 hours. Expand
  7. Jul 29, 2011
    The first attempts at play through in this game were rough. ( I knew this was an RPG from the get go however. Any one who picked this up back when it was new expecting JK series game play was a moron.) After sitting back and examining how i was allotting points for stats and skills however I managed to create a character that played through to finish the game. I realized a few things. Bioware makes challenging games. They really push the boundary of: How much will I let myself get immersed and what mechanics will i explore? There is a wrong way to play and select stats and abilities and this is a good thing. There is still choice. You just have to know what you are doing to create the character you want to play. I like this game more than dragon age origins admittedly because it is a bit more forgiving if you get yourself in a sticky situation. Expand
  8. Apr 15, 2011
    I don't believe there's any question now as to if this game is a masterpiece. The emotional characters, the brilliant storyline, eye-piping visuals, paired with extremely fun game-play define SWKOR as a classic. Genius through and through.
  9. Aug 16, 2011
    This game made me a fan of Star Wars and the Sith. Great game. One of my favorite games of all time. I wish someone make a remake for it on this generation video games.
  10. Jun 19, 2011
    I just played this for the first time recently, and I have to say it's one of the best games I've ever played. It's like a good book that you don't want to put down. After playing through it once I'm already looking forward to playing it again.
  11. Mar 19, 2011
    Probably the best RPG I've ever played. If you're a Star Wars fan, you should definitely play this game. Good graphics, good dialogue, combat is good though It might be too easy after a while and great story. A game at which you won't wonder why it's a GOTY.
  12. Apr 26, 2011
    My favourite game of all time. It has everything; Good game play, writing, plot, really in depth characters and the one of the most satisfying endings I have come across. An absolute jewel.
  13. May 17, 2011
    Knights of the Old Republic is the best game I've played. The story is simply brilliant, the gameplay is bundles of fun, and the characters are so real... which is amazing considering it's sci-fi!
  14. May 27, 2011
    BioWares masterpiece. Fantastic RPG. Supreme story, characters , combat ...everything is done soooo good, that i can only rate this game with 10. Oh, and its Star Wars :)
  15. Nov 20, 2012
    Great game! The storyline, the diverse locations that can be explored, and the general gameplay make this game stand out above almost all others. It I had to make a list of my top ten favorite games of all time, this would definitely make the list. It's a must play for any RPG fans, and really for any fans of video games at all.
  16. Nov 8, 2012
    Good epic. It fills a lot of its time with combat, fetch quests and walking from A to B, so it cannot reach the highest game rating. But the story and the use of the license are outstanding and worth 10$ and 10 hours. But in my eyes not worth the 40-50 hours for campaign completion. It felt like transportation and fetching made up at least 20% of the game. That's about 10 hours of your time spent taking a virtual character from one side of a map to the other. Not deeply stimulating or exciting. Expand
  17. Feb 14, 2012
    To start with, the game does have it's flaws, it does however take a very petty person to majorly mark down such an incredible work for a few minor blemishes that honestly exist at face value.

First of all, the story is incredible. I don't think anyone will deny this. As an RPG, this is what you should be looking for in the game primarily. Completing the game for the first time while
    doing most of the side missions took me about 35 hours. This game is the only one I have ever played whose story has had me up until unheard of times in the morning to discover what happens next. You should also be looking for a good progression system, and this game certainly does have that, making you feel majorly rewarded for levelling up as it grants you specific but significant bonuses.

The progression is also where the games first vice lies however. As once you have a handful of force powers the game has a significant drop in difficulty if you are a meta gamer, which you probably are if you're on meta critic and/or interested in a 9 year old game. The difficulty can be reduced by a meta gamer to the point that you will probably find the final boss and mission easier than the opening tutorial of the game. I do not know whether this was intentionally done by Bioware or not to further the sense of progression and your character's developing power, but it is certainly broken as the final boss was unthinkably easy, with minor minions earlier in the game giving me a harder time. Personally, I actually like this as it does give you a sense of progression much greater than most games, when you go from desperately chewing through medkits to kill a couple of thugs to easily tossing groups of high ranking enemies (rancor) aside with 2 or 3 force powers you feel like all you've done has meant something for you personally as the player, on top of the compelling plot which has many choices and a lot of well acted, branching dialogue.

The game is paced perfectly too, you always feel like you're doing something (and for a good reason, this game features no quests that feel like arbitrary "Kill X enemy" missions, all of them are unique and compelling) and something new and interesting happens regularly so long as you don't dawdle, giving you a constant stream of interesting dialogue and missions that can last you around 35 hours.

The final thing I would like to mention is the astonishing attention to detail and clear hard work that was put into the creation of this game, unlike most blatant shameless cash ins that we are so accustomed to now. For instance, there is a cantina called "The Drunk Side" the name of which you would only discover by stopping and clicking on the sign, which most players probably wouldn't. I found that rather amusing, and it obviously is completely unnecessary, but Bioware did it for that extra polish and layer of good will. They also present you with a vast array of 'Idiot Buttons', that is, opportunities to press/say things that will cause you to be insta-killed often in ways that may amuse the player just due to how idiotic the events were. It is not only brilliant that Bioware allows the player to do silly things like those,
    but that they allow you to fail is the real stinger here.

Anyway, that is the end of my ridiculously large wall of text. I would like to point out that everyone that gave this game a score below 5 is clearly trolling and/or stupid, as this is a masterpiece of a game the likes of which I doubt we will bare witness to again for some time.
  18. Aug 6, 2012
    All things considered, this is one of my favorite games ever. The gameplay is fun, the story is amazing, and the character development is interesting (the latter two you could guess after seeing Bioware). If you are a Star Wars fan and don't hate RPGs, then you're sure to like this game. With that said, the game does have its flaws: an annoying inventory system, boring mini-game, and a leveling system which punishes you if you don't spec as melee from the start. But, in my humble opinion, the game more than makes up for these shortcomings. Given that Bioware chose to make a Star Wars MMO, I doubt we'll ever see if KOTR3, but I suppose I can keep my fingers crossed... Expand
  19. Aug 9, 2012
    I've never played such an amazing game, KotOR probably has one of the best story lines. It would be sweet if they remade it with better graphics, models and character customization other than a preset face. Either way this is defiantly in the top five of my favorite games.
  20. Oct 31, 2012
    This is the best game ever!,if your looking for an awesome game this is it! it so fun and you will enjoy every min of it, so get for PC or Xbox, it is an awesome game! 10 out of 10
  21. Aug 21, 2010
    Brilliant game. It really doesn't get much better than this. Story, graphics, gameplay, voice acting is of highest quality. This is the most replayed game by me, and I come back every year or two to play it, and it's 6 or more years old!
  22. Aug 26, 2010
    Awesome game. Highly recommended. Oh and be prepared to sink about 50-60 hours of your life into this game. Good graphics, good game balance, great story and locations epic finale & climax
  23. Mar 26, 2011
    I have a bone to pick with a number of Star Wars games. after brilliant titles like Jedi Knight and X-Wing or TIE Fighter, the franchise became monotonous, and very often frustratingly difficult. This is absolutely not the case with KOTOR. The game is challenging, the story captivating, and the level design fantastic. Moreover, it is a great RPG in its own right, regardless whether one is a fan of the Star Wars franchise or not. By the way, playing this game makes you feel like its a precursor to the Mass Effect series, which I like alot.. Expand
  24. Oct 3, 2010
    I was hesitating to get this game for quite some time even though I was a fan of bioware games. After finally deciding to get it, all I can say that its an awesome game. Love the plot and excellent graphics for its time. It still looks good after all these years.
  25. Dec 31, 2010
    I would have to say this is now in the top five games I have ever played the storyline is amazing and there is so much to do in this game, I wish I would have herd about his one much sooner than last year, don't ask how I went that long without playing this Masterpiece of an RPG, If you like making you own choices and love star wars this is going to be in bed with you every night, sleeping with you I promise lol. Expand
  26. Jan 6, 2011
    The Star Wars Universe expands to one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Rarely do you see an epic storyline mixed with intense gameplay in todays games. It is definitely one people will talk about for years.
  27. Oct 7, 2011
    I have to say it first this is not my type of game. I appreciated Bioware creating such a great story and awesome characters after the absolutely dull neverwinter nights, but the gameplay of this game is really bad. The problem I have mostly lies in the combat system. I've played D&D based games, so I understand this kind of RPG system however the combat in this game is boring, repetative, slow and unrealistic. You end up selecting attack actions, and waiting for your character to do them over and over again. On the good side though this is an extensive role playing story line with a real cool light side/dark side choice system in place that lets you really develop a character. Expand
  28. X11
    Sep 20, 2011
    It's strange. I have been spoiled by "modern" graphics ever since the advent of Xbox 360, yet all my favorite titles seem to have found purchase before that. The Sims, Ocarina of Time, Half-Life, and this game. I find myself amazed that I did not pick it up until late 2011, yet I still find it one of the most engrossing video game experiences of all time. Graphics do not make the game my friends. Unfortunately this fact has been forgotten in recent times. Disheartening. I hope for more games like this in years to come. Expand
  29. Apr 5, 2011
    Absolutely incredible! There were so many details in every world and I loved the way that you could personalize each character. Atmospheric, captivating and the music was terrific.
  30. Mar 15, 2011
    A great role playing game based on the star wars universe. The graphics are very good for its time, the game-play is very good, and the story line is very good. I recommend this game to any one who is into star wars and into the role playing game style.

It's a great game!

1. The level of control that you have over your characters' actions is truly remarkable... Simply put, this is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the original trilogy. [Feb 2004, p.112]
  2. This is a class act that builds and extends the Star Wars game franchise and PC gamers are getting something their kindred XBOX owners loved to bits and will not be disappointed in any way.
  3. It offers some pretty fundamental improvements over the Xbox version and stands as one of the best PC RPGs out there.