Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic PC

9.0

1. ChrisM.
    Feb 11, 2004
    This game is bloody awesome. No doubt about it. An involving story, deep gameplay mechanics and great graphics all put together. This is one of those you won't be able to put down. Rightly so to. One of the best games ever.
  2. Oct 26, 2010
    The best thing to have ever happened to Star Wars. KOTOR's story is unlike anything else. Any true Star Wars fan or fan of video games in general needs to get over the aged gameplay elements and graphics in order see one of the most genius video game stories in history.
  3. MarkO
    Jan 3, 2010
    KOTOR is truly a great rpg. The game immerses the player in the Star Wars universe, and It has some of the best voice acting and stories that I have heard in an RPG to date (and this is 2010). There's actually a focused and captivating story unlike most rpgs in the market today. I didn't really find any problems with the interface or gameplay (for its time). I really enjoyed KOTOR is truly a great rpg. The game immerses the player in the Star Wars universe, and It has some of the best voice acting and stories that I have heard in an RPG to date (and this is 2010). There's actually a focused and captivating story unlike most rpgs in the market today. I didn't really find any problems with the interface or gameplay (for its time). I really enjoyed Candorous' stories of the Mandalorian Wars, for example. They were compact with imagery and none of the dialogue seems superfluous. I seriously don't understand why this game should get anything less than a 9. I have played nearly every Star Wars game to date (and certainly many rpgs) and KOTOR is definitely one that sets the standards high. Don't be fooled by the low reviews. If you're a fan of rpgs, this is a must have. Expand
  4. Jul 29, 2011
    The first attempts at play through in this game were rough. ( I knew this was an RPG from the get go however. Any one who picked this up back when it was new expecting JK series game play was a moron.) After sitting back and examining how i was allotting points for stats and skills however I managed to create a character that played through to finish the game. I realized a few things.The first attempts at play through in this game were rough. ( I knew this was an RPG from the get go however. Any one who picked this up back when it was new expecting JK series game play was a moron.) After sitting back and examining how i was allotting points for stats and skills however I managed to create a character that played through to finish the game. I realized a few things. Bioware makes challenging games. They really push the boundary of: How much will I let myself get immersed and what mechanics will i explore? There is a wrong way to play and select stats and abilities and this is a good thing. There is still choice. You just have to know what you are doing to create the character you want to play. I like this game more than dragon age origins admittedly because it is a bit more forgiving if you get yourself in a sticky situation. Collapse
  5. BryanN.
    Mar 15, 2005
    This was the best game i ever played in year 2004 as i 'received' it late...it was aat the end of the year when NFSU2 came out. After playing KOTOR for a couple of hours, i completely forgotten NFSU2 and whenever i switched on the com, it would be KOTOR until i finished the old game. This is one superb game, with excellent and amazing story line.
  6. Jul 22, 2011
    I originally completed this when it first came out and remember enjoying it thoroughly, six or seven years down the line and I picked it up on Steam for a bargain £3 to replace my knackered CDROM copy, and decided to give the game a replay. Initial thoughts: the years have not been kind to KOTOR, however perseverance opened up a truly brilliant (Star Wars) game - the datedI originally completed this when it first came out and remember enjoying it thoroughly, six or seven years down the line and I picked it up on Steam for a bargain £3 to replace my knackered CDROM copy, and decided to give the game a replay. Initial thoughts: the years have not been kind to KOTOR, however perseverance opened up a truly brilliant (Star Wars) game - the dated visuals haven't done the game any favours but they don't hinder one's enjoyment of the title either, this kept me hooked for a full 22 hours. Expand
  7. AnonymousMC
    Apr 13, 2007
    All I would like to say is that this game ROCKS!!!!! Justin K has no idea what he is talking about and must be about 4 years old. This is an instant classic, with an INCREDIBLE storyline (amazing plot twist about 2/3 through thje game). In fact, its nice that you don't start off as a Jedi, because than everything would be so easy! Plus it would make the storyline worse, if anything.All I would like to say is that this game ROCKS!!!!! Justin K has no idea what he is talking about and must be about 4 years old. This is an instant classic, with an INCREDIBLE storyline (amazing plot twist about 2/3 through thje game). In fact, its nice that you don't start off as a Jedi, because than everything would be so easy! Plus it would make the storyline worse, if anything. And Mr Justin K stated that all missions require killing someone. OK.... since when is Star Wars about being a Pacifist? Secondly, I know many missions that don't require action. What about the murder case that you can act Arbiter in on the planet Manaan? What about swoop racing or pazaak playing? Justin K.'s review couldn't be further off. This is the Star Wars Game for Star Wars haters, and the RPG game for RPG haters. If you haven't bought this game yet, and you call yourself a gamer, I'm sorry, but you aren't a gamer. This is a true classic. Grand Theft Auto is not a true classic. Expand
  8. RobC.
    Feb 14, 2004
    KOTOR is one of the best-designed games I have played in a long time. I have recently been playing both Morrowind and KOTOR and between the two, I have been very busy. KOTOR was, at first, frustrating with the combat system. Once I turned off the auto-pause feature, it quickly turned my interest into high gear. No one company will ever make the "perfect" RPG. There will always be some KOTOR is one of the best-designed games I have played in a long time. I have recently been playing both Morrowind and KOTOR and between the two, I have been very busy. KOTOR was, at first, frustrating with the combat system. Once I turned off the auto-pause feature, it quickly turned my interest into high gear. No one company will ever make the "perfect" RPG. There will always be some aspects to be included or left out of every game. This is the main reason I play both ESIII and KOTOR. If I feel like slaughtering a village, ESIII, if I feel like journeying into Star Wars friendly territory, KOTOR. In my opinion, both are excellent games, despite the miniscule flaws. Expand
  9. Majeure
    Apr 30, 2005
    A simply fun game, great for RPG and non-RPGers alike. For the most part, was pretty easy (even the final battle wasn't a challenge) and has one of the best stories you can get, with some interesting plot twists. Recommended for [hardcore] fans and non. The only complaint of mine would be that the beginning is a little bit to rushed. Overall, I say everyone should give this game a try.
  10. MartinF
    Sep 25, 2009
    Absolutely the best Star Wars game ever made, and on top of that at least one of the top 10 RPGs ever made as well.
  11. SeanM
    Sep 26, 2009
    The best Star Wars based game ever, hands down. One of the best RPGs of all time. The depth of character and choice-paths expressed in this game are hard to find even today.
  12. Apr 5, 2011
    Absolutely incredible! There were so many details in every world and I loved the way that you could personalize each character. Atmospheric, captivating and the music was terrific.
  13. Andrew
    Apr 17, 2006
    Too many people seem to have reviewed this game without even getting into it. Those with a little patience (couple hours tops) can experience one of the best and most accessible (fun) RPG's made in the last 5 years. Everything you ever wanted to do from Star Wars, and it even fits well into the SW universe (for all those who care). A true must-play.
  14. ArygoV.
    Nov 6, 2006
    Nice story, nice game. Would be better if the game play was not like an rpg type game, I'm still waiting for something like jedi knight : jedi academy, it's more fun.
  15. Apr 21, 2011
    This was the first RPG I ever played and even today compare any RPG I play to this one. Great story with a truly suprising twist, realistic fighting that I wish more RPGs had, and great characters are the staple of this game. The only downside: morality really doesn't affect the ending.
  16. May 15, 2012
    Ok this game doesn't deserve a 10, since its 2012 now and its old a relatively small. But what time doesn't improve (Like graphics, financial support) is simply perfect in this game. This is the ONLY game I've known that actually give you choices that you need to think about. The star wars ultimate Dilemma, Dark Side or Light Side, come in this game stronger then ever- You will faceOk this game doesn't deserve a 10, since its 2012 now and its old a relatively small. But what time doesn't improve (Like graphics, financial support) is simply perfect in this game. This is the ONLY game I've known that actually give you choices that you need to think about. The star wars ultimate Dilemma, Dark Side or Light Side, come in this game stronger then ever- You will face situations when you actually think- "hey, The Jedi code is to tense, Nothing will happen if I just use my force for little personal gain this one time" And you actually feel the burden of being a Jedi. (Why pay 500 credits for parking when you can just "convince" someone you don't need to un-violently?, This is one tiny example). Until today I have never seen choises in games so real and also effect the story line so deeply. Dialogue in this game is very advanced. Most of the times there are actually right and wrong answers and failing them will not come unforigiven. (Ever been put on trial in a RPG? this is one true masterpiece!) Plus it's Brilliant idea to use the Jedi ability to understand foreign language to cut off text acting- Personally I don't mind if the voice is total rubbish to me as long as the actual text is rich and developed. Character building in this game is great- you decide for you and your companions what are they going to be good at (Jedi are divided into three classes- depending on the light sabre skill and their force manipulation skill). There are many options and you are not going to use them all in one go. Plus the inventory allows many more modification for your weapons gadgets and robots. And of course- The storyline, which make this game a MUST for anyone who really loves star wars, even you ignore the effect of your choices on the plot. Expand
  17. KingslerL.
    Nov 15, 2003
    Excellent and beyond.
  18. PatG.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Star Wars forever!!!!
    Dec 21, 2003
    This is a great RPG, very good gameplay, much to do, good storyline for the star wars fans, some nice mini-games - In short: The best RPG of this year.
  20. LoganG.
    Jan 4, 2004
    Great all around, except for many instances of horrible framerate and crashes on a computer with a processor and graphics card much higher than the system requirements.
  21. MatthieuR.
    Dec 7, 2003
    This just in: Igor is a fool! This game rocks, on any platform. Amazingly deep and immersive, I love this game.
  22. JeffR.
    Jan 3, 2004
    Hands down one of the best games i've ever played, and easily the best game of the year. you may notice that the only negative review at the bottom is from someone who hasnt even played through much of the game - and when you go into playing a game expecting it to be exactly the same as another that you really enjoyed (in this case neverwinter nights), you set yourself up to beHands down one of the best games i've ever played, and easily the best game of the year. you may notice that the only negative review at the bottom is from someone who hasnt even played through much of the game - and when you go into playing a game expecting it to be exactly the same as another that you really enjoyed (in this case neverwinter nights), you set yourself up to be disappointed every time it is not. i went into KOTOR with no real expectations, and was incredibly pleased with what it turned out to be. an incredibly immersive plot in which i truly cared about the main characters, well written and well acted dialogue that was able to make me laugh out loud or raise the hairs on the back of my neck, a fantastic, extremely believable story with some very well placed twists, a world that was expansive and open-ended, and a combat system that rivals the best i've ever played with. igor below pointed out its differences from NWN as faults, but in truth he's really comparing apples with oranges - it was necessary that your character be restricted to the one race because the plot would simply not work if you were a wookie or a twi'lek. you are able to fashion a class for yourself by choosing specific feats and powers, and are not restricted at all to a certain path that you chose at the beginning of the game. the further down the road you go the more advanced and specialized weaponry becomes available, but would it really be conducive to the star wars universe to have hundreds of different kinds of blasters, all with their own name? i feel genuinely bad for igor that he's unable to appreciate this game for what it is, all because he didnt want to be playing KOTOR; he wanted to be playing NWN. i've found that the interface is very inuitive after a few hours of use, and the game is graphically incredible. all in all, KOTOR is an amazing and inspiring game the likes of which are very rare to come by. do yourself a favor and check it out if you have the 60+ hours to spare, as it will not be soon forgotten. Expand
  23. BennettM.
    Jan 23, 2004
    Rob B. is a moron. I give KotOR 50/10.
  24. J.-P.R.
    Feb 2, 2004
    Best story ever!!! Just try not to shudder when the plot unfolds, and not to pause when confronted to moral issues.
  25. RalphW.
    Feb 26, 2004
    This has been the best game I have played in ages. I can nevr sit through RPGs because they usually tend to get boring. With this one I defintly had that old familiar feeling of, just another ten minutes. The story grabs you and transports you to another universe. My only main criticsm was the inventory system and that I found the final battle frustratingly hard.
  26. WillV.
    Feb 21, 2004
    I am not a fan of RPGs. I didn't even finish Neverwinter Nights. But this game is an exception. I love it!
  27. DionA.
    Mar 19, 2004
    Anyone who gave this game any lower than a 9 has no bran. It's as simple as that.
  28. WilliamT.
    Jun 27, 2004
    This is one of the best games I have ever played.
  29. MarioB.
    Sep 28, 2004
    Great game!!! two thumbs up!
  30. JurijG.
    Oct 8, 2004
    Path you'll choose is being known. Not me to be your guide, your deeds make what you are.
  31. Jul 29, 2011

1. Game Informer
    The level of control that you have over your characters' actions is truly remarkable... Simply put, this is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the original trilogy. [Feb 2004, p.112]
  2. This is a class act that builds and extends the Star Wars game franchise and PC gamers are getting something their kindred XBOX owners loved to bits and will not be disappointed in any way.
  3. It offers some pretty fundamental improvements over the Xbox version and stands as one of the best PC RPGs out there.