9.0

1. Aug 21, 2010
    Brilliant game. It really doesn't get much better than this. Story, graphics, gameplay, voice acting is of highest quality. This is the most replayed game by me, and I come back every year or two to play it, and it's 6 or more years old!
  2. Aug 26, 2010
    Awesome game. Highly recommended. Oh and be prepared to sink about 50-60 hours of your life into this game. Good graphics, good game balance, great story and locations epic finale & climax
  3. Dec 2, 2010
    I love this game. The game play is immersive and purely strategic. You have to decide whether or not you want to throw a grenade, whether or not to use the force or conserve your energy, what melee attack you want to use, how to use your mines and along with that, there's an actual story line! This will definitely be a game to beat. It even has it's own special, original combat system! This is also shown to be a true RPG (not one of those fake ones that claim to one) by allowing the player to make choices that align his/her player to the dark side or light side, whether it be to help someone, give away someones position, stand for what's right or wrong, or merely kill someone. I give this ten out of ten. Expand
  4. Sep 3, 2012
    It's certainly the best thing the Star Wars franchised has created since The Empire Strikes Back, and its one of the best RPG's created as well. Fantastic narrative, characters, atmosphere, level design, and gameplay all make KOTOR a groundbreaking game.
  5. Sep 14, 2010
    The best game ever. A great Star Wars RPG with an incredible replay value, especially due to the fact it is open ended. The story is really immersing as you get involved to it. A classic game which had its sequel in KOTOR 2, but still deserves KOTOR 3 and not SWTOR, the MMORPG.
  6. Mar 26, 2011
    I have a bone to pick with a number of Star Wars games. after brilliant titles like Jedi Knight and X-Wing or TIE Fighter, the franchise became monotonous, and very often frustratingly difficult. This is absolutely not the case with KOTOR. The game is challenging, the story captivating, and the level design fantastic. Moreover, it is a great RPG in its own right, regardless whether one is a fan of the Star Wars franchise or not. By the way, playing this game makes you feel like its a precursor to the Mass Effect series, which I like alot.. Expand
  7. Oct 23, 2010
    This is the definite version of this game. The updated graphics and added features like quests and overall tweaks makes a great game something amazing.
  8. Oct 3, 2010
    I was hesitating to get this game for quite some time even though I was a fan of bioware games. After finally deciding to get it, all I can say that its an awesome game. Love the plot and excellent graphics for its time. It still looks good after all these years.
  9. Oct 26, 2010
    The best thing to have ever happened to Star Wars. KOTOR's story is unlike anything else. Any true Star Wars fan or fan of video games in general needs to get over the aged gameplay elements and graphics in order see one of the most genius video game stories in history.
  10. Dec 31, 2010
    I would have to say this is now in the top five games I have ever played the storyline is amazing and there is so much to do in this game, I wish I would have herd about his one much sooner than last year, don't ask how I went that long without playing this Masterpiece of an RPG, If you like making you own choices and love star wars this is going to be in bed with you every night, sleeping with you I promise lol. Expand
  11. Jan 6, 2011
    The Star Wars Universe expands to one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Rarely do you see an epic storyline mixed with intense gameplay in todays games. It is definitely one people will talk about for years.
  12. Apr 15, 2011
    I don't believe there's any question now as to if this game is a masterpiece. The emotional characters, the brilliant storyline, eye-piping visuals, paired with extremely fun game-play define SWKOR as a classic. Genius through and through.
  13. X11
    Sep 20, 2011
    It's strange. I have been spoiled by "modern" graphics ever since the advent of Xbox 360, yet all my favorite titles seem to have found purchase before that. The Sims, Ocarina of Time, Half-Life, and this game. I find myself amazed that I did not pick it up until late 2011, yet I still find it one of the most engrossing video game experiences of all time. Graphics do not make the game my friends. Unfortunately this fact has been forgotten in recent times. Disheartening. I hope for more games like this in years to come. Expand
  14. Aug 16, 2011
    This game made me a fan of Star Wars and the Sith. Great game. One of my favorite games of all time. I wish someone make a remake for it on this generation video games.
  15. Jun 19, 2011
    I just played this for the first time recently, and I have to say it's one of the best games I've ever played. It's like a good book that you don't want to put down. After playing through it once I'm already looking forward to playing it again.
  16. Apr 5, 2011
    Absolutely incredible! There were so many details in every world and I loved the way that you could personalize each character. Atmospheric, captivating and the music was terrific.
  17. Mar 20, 2011
    I am a Star Wars fan. When I was little, I watched the movies CONSTANTLY. This game is a dream come true. Become a jedi, become a sith... what more could you want? Almost no flaws in this game.
  18. Mar 25, 2011
    In my opinion, this is the 2nd best RPG ever created right behind Baldur's Gate 2. The combat is very fun even though the flexibility of the class design is limited. The story of this game is Supreme against Buldur's Gate 2, though the overall gameplay isn't. Anyhow this game has GREAT gameplay a Story that is good enough to rival the Original Trilogy, and is the most expansive Star wars universe in any star wars RPG. The graphics were insanely great for its time and is still really good. I've played through this game 11 times now. and Still want to keep playing it. but i know this game is going to be bumped down by SWTOR. Overall no human can dislike this game, nor not worship it's awesomeness! Expand
  19. Mar 15, 2011
    A great role playing game based on the star wars universe. The graphics are very good for its time, the game-play is very good, and the story line is very good. I recommend this game to any one who is into star wars and into the role playing game style.

It's a great game!
  20. May 1, 2011
    KOTOR is one of the best RPGs that has ever been made. Though slightly aged at this point, the storyline is one that truly makes the player feel like the fate of the galaxy is in their hands. Companions are interesting, equipment customization was awesome, and the game, overall, is legendary. Pick this up for $10 on steam. It'll be well worth it!
  21. Mar 19, 2011
    Probably the best RPG I've ever played. If you're a Star Wars fan, you should definitely play this game. Good graphics, good dialogue, combat is good though It might be too easy after a while and great story. A game at which you won't wonder why it's a GOTY.
  22. Mar 20, 2011
    This was the first Bioware game I ever played, and one of the first PC games as well. I was completely blown away, it's an amazing game and turned me into a Bioware fan. The story is fantastic, though of course by today's standards the game play and graphics are dated... but I think that RPG fans won't care, because we're in it for the experience and this game delivers.
  23. Mar 20, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece, after all this years it is in my heart and now and then I play it again. The story is amazing and for a game released in 2003 it's graphics still look very nice (try playing baldur's gate or diablo II on a 32'' screen and you ll see what I mean).
  24. Mar 25, 2011
    This is the best game of all time, best RPG, incredible story, great characters, perfect gameplay and I could go on like that. Everything is perfect about this game and if you are a SW fan, you can't find anything better. And even if you are not, you will still have a blast.
  25. Apr 3, 2011
    If there was one thing in all of the Star Wars media that got me hooked into this universe, its KOTOR. This game sucked me right in and soon I was living and breathing Star Wars. Filled with a cast of unforgettable characters, great storytelling (with one of the best OMG moments in gaming history), and solid gameplay; KOTOR is still the greatest RPG ever made!
  26. Apr 5, 2011
    Firstly, I want to clarify that these are not "rigged votes", as the KOTOR haters seem to be claiming them to be. If you read the sparse 0-rating reviews below, you'll notice some common factors: a general impatience with games and a lack of appreciation for anything that requires more player input than simply clicking left-mouse to attack. Simply put, KOTOR is a masterpiece. I played it again for the second time (I first played it after its release in 2003), and finished it yesterday with a total playtime of 45+ hours, and I regret not a single second of gameplay. The story, characters and setting are masterly created, with an epic soundtrack, spectacularly flawless voice-acting (I genuinely feel like I know the characters, in particular Carth Onasi, Mission Vao, Juhani, Jolee Bindo and Bastilla Shan, as people, and almost as companions). Do yourself a favour and get this game. Expand
  27. Apr 5, 2011
    7 years after the release, this game may still be the best single player RPG out there, or at least among the top. The storyline is intense. The characters are unforgettable. Every aspect of the game rocks. The game has a high replay value due to all of the RPG decisions you make, and end the end it may be the best Star Wars game to date.
  28. Apr 18, 2011
    i played this game back when it was released and i actually liked this game. the story plot i didnt pay attention to but the gameplay was awesome. i played on the original xbox and the fighting was smooth. on pc i dont know it might suck. but xbox version rocked
  29. May 3, 2012
    The Best Star Wars game ever! The story just great and unforgetable. Maybe the fight is slow when you played the 3.921.034th times over, but put that away this game is great and everyone should play with this at least onece in his/her life.
  30. Apr 26, 2011
    My favourite game of all time. It has everything; Good game play, writing, plot, really in depth characters and the one of the most satisfying endings I have come across. An absolute jewel.
  31. May 17, 2011
    Knights of the Old Republic is the best game I've played. The story is simply brilliant, the gameplay is bundles of fun, and the characters are so real... which is amazing considering it's sci-fi!
  32. May 27, 2011
    BioWares masterpiece. Fantastic RPG. Supreme story, characters , combat ...everything is done soooo good, that i can only rate this game with 10. Oh, and its Star Wars :)
  33. Oct 17, 2012
    There are very few games that I would describe as "essentially perfect". This game is one of them. I have never played a better classic RPG, and certainly never a better classic RPG that also had a story to rival the original Star Wars movies. I cannot recommend this game enough. If you like a great story with great characters and deep gameplay, then you must play this game.

But if you
    are one of the children who require fast, furious and shallow gameplay with no reading required of you then I suppose you must skip this title and go back to Call of Battlefield 7. Expand
  34. Jun 17, 2013
    This is one of the classic BioWare RPG. Do I have to say more? This is the first time they are leaving D&D as base of their RPG. The game is still based on pen & paper like rules and feels like sci-fy version on D&D. The story is happening in the universe of Old Republic (the is long before Star Wars movies) so creators have enough space for their own creativity, but still fans of SW will see lot of familiar places. Player cannot choose any race but human this is little bit shame, but no worries shortly you will find lot of companions, so you would enjoy playing as wookiee or android. As it is common for BioWare every companion have his own agenda and history and would by stepping into conversation when he think he have something to say. As the story will proceed you will be getting more informations from their past and from time to time they will ask you to help them. The story is really great and with twists and stuffs that make RPG good RPG. It will lead you to different planets each is completely different world with own culture, flora, fauna and inhabitants. Main quest is pretty long and there is also lot of side quests I spent 40 h on first play through. The game have good repeatability as you can choose if you are going to complete quests with affliction to light or dark side of the Force plus there are also different possibilities how to solve problems based on yours skill as persuading, stealth, repair, computers, demolition each have its own use an there is now skill that would be there just for numbers as it in many games. The fighting system is intuitive. Fights with easier opponents may feel bit dull, but at least they are quick. You are able to use different items as grenades, mines stimulants, different skills for shooting and melee weapons and also force powers as stun, push-back or throwing your lightsaber.
    Graphic is pretty good and in full HD resolution still look really good as this from 2003. I think this is one of the best RPG ever made a have all those things that nowadays sand box RPG lack depth, emotions you really like some characters and you don't do quests just for money, but you really wan't to help somebody or stop that bad guy.
  35. Mar 6, 2012
    This is a game that shows how and why console games can be excellent games; classics, even.

The PC port is pretty good, as the story and gameplay loses none of its excellence through the transition. This is one of those rare things: a perfect game.
  36. Sep 22, 2011
    The very first RPG I ever played. And goddamn, couldn't have started off on a better foot. This is sorta like deciding to watch your very first superhero movie and picking The Dark Knight. Everything that comes after just seems like a letdown. That's kinda how I feel about KOTOR. And you've gotta know this about me, I **** hate Star Wars. Never been fond of it. But this game... this story just sucked me in and never let go. I absolutely had to keep playing to find out what was going to happen to these characters I'd become attached to. To do this to me, someone who had never played RPGs, didn't like em, and had no interest in Star Wars either, well... that's just about the highest compliment I think I can give. Too bad its sequel couldn't match the great story of the first one. But alas, lightning in a bottle only happens every once in a while. Expand
  37. Oct 16, 2011
    I just lol at the people who give it a negative rating. They must be hardcore star wars nerd with unbelievable high standards... I can already see one....This game really does deserve its rating.
  38. Dec 20, 2011
    I actually played KOTOR 2 before I ever heard of KOTOR; Subsequent to completing KOTOR 2 I scoured every Wal-mart and Futureshop in hopes of finding the first game of the series. I was pleasantly rewarded while I was one day rummaging through a platinum hits bin, and at that point in time I had no idea what I was in for. KOTOR is my number two Star Wars gaming experience (just falls short of SWG in its prime) and perhaps the best RPG I've ever played. The story is perfectly immersible, I really found myself believing I was some heroic amnesiac turned galactic saviour, and I also found the companions to be compelling and well written characters. The plot kept me hooked and the twist left my jaw dropped to the floor. KOTOR has aged well for a game released in 2003 and I'd recommend any Star Wars fan or gamer play it at least once. Expand
  39. Oct 14, 2014
    Best Star Wars game, that made finally a honor to the Lucas trilogy and to RPG genre together. The story greatly describe a situation when sith and jedi made the history of Republic and themselves. Bringing the best of pc gods Bioware, story, characters acting and completely done traditional rpg motto: choose your way. and this time also, choose your path, the force will be with you.
  40. Nov 20, 2012
    Great game! The storyline, the diverse locations that can be explored, and the general gameplay make this game stand out above almost all others. It I had to make a list of my top ten favorite games of all time, this would definitely make the list. It's a must play for any RPG fans, and really for any fans of video games at all.
  41. May 23, 2012
    Ok, I played this game back in 2004 or something and me and my brother played it over and over and over, and it was fun, but I didnt really get what the stats or anything meant so I was pretty **** at the game. I just played it and now I love it even more because I actually stand a chance at beating it! (I never beat it before). Truly a must play if you love Bioware and Star Wars
  42. Nov 29, 2011
    I remember when I 1st heard about this game I had taken a long hiatus from Star Wars for years I got an Xbox specially because I wanted this game after I saw it won game of the year on spikeTV. I couldn't put this game down for a months I did everything and than did it over again. Game of the Year yes I would even consider it the game of the Decade along with CoD4.
  43. Nov 25, 2011
    Even on today's standards this game is excellent! Graphics are not really at todays level, but what can you expect from game which was released in 2003. Gameplay and storyline are something for other games to look up to. If you haven't been introduced to KOTOR, do it now! It's on sale in many places under 10 bucks.
  44. Dec 23, 2011
    Okay, anyone who doesn't like this became assuming its boring is a noob at this game. For you people who thought it was boring and is a noob, learn how to experience this game. I had a hard time getting use to the experience of the game when I first played, but its the greatest Star Wars game EVER!
  45. Dec 17, 2011
    This game has the best story of any game I, being quite an active gamer, have ever played. This is a masterpiece, and anytime anyone mentions the best game ever, this immediately comes to mind. Sure, it may have a few glitches and bugs, but these are more than compensated for.
  46. Mar 10, 2012
    Ladies nad gentlemen, that's BIoWare at it's best. Probably the best Star Wars cRPG. It has awesome climate and plot with great mystery. By the way, it's set nearly 4000 years before the movies, so every charater is made from basics. I can also say that some of them are as charismatic and interesting as the ones from films. The soundtrack has Star Wars quality- what else do I need to say? It's game from 2003, so visually it doesn't make any impression. Still, it has amazing animations of sword fights. Oh, there is one disadvantage: it's too linear. There isn't even any imitation of open world or a bit of non-linearity here. Still, if you're Star Wars fan or you like cRPGs- you cannot miss it. Expand
  47. Jul 11, 2013
    The second best star wars game to his day, the first one is IMO was the sequel to this, but that's another matter, fun tactical combat, AMAZINGLY well done story, phenomenal voice acting (Jennifer Hale) the dialogue tree, being able to become a total dark side bad-ass! overall one of the best Rpgs you can get your hands on don't even think twice about buying it if you even slightly like Star Wars or role playing games... Expand
  48. Jul 21, 2012
    Probably the best star wars game i've ever played, the story is way better than the movies. Forget about reviewers who rants about this masterpice.
  49. Feb 9, 2012
    This game is bloody awesome. No doubt about it. An involving story, deep gameplay mechanics and great graphics all put together. This is one of those you won't be able to put down. Rightly so to. One of the best games ever.
  50. Feb 14, 2012
    To start with, the game does have it's flaws, it does however take a very petty person to majorly mark down such an incredible work for a few minor blemishes that honestly exist at face value.

First of all, the story is incredible. I don't think anyone will deny this. As an RPG, this is what you should be looking for in the game primarily. Completing the game for the first time while
    doing most of the side missions took me about 35 hours. This game is the only one I have ever played whose story has had me up until unheard of times in the morning to discover what happens next. You should also be looking for a good progression system, and this game certainly does have that, making you feel majorly rewarded for levelling up as it grants you specific but significant bonuses.

The progression is also where the games first vice lies however. As once you have a handful of force powers the game has a significant drop in difficulty if you are a meta gamer, which you probably are if you're on meta critic and/or interested in a 9 year old game. The difficulty can be reduced by a meta gamer to the point that you will probably find the final boss and mission easier than the opening tutorial of the game. I do not know whether this was intentionally done by Bioware or not to further the sense of progression and your character's developing power, but it is certainly broken as the final boss was unthinkably easy, with minor minions earlier in the game giving me a harder time. Personally, I actually like this as it does give you a sense of progression much greater than most games, when you go from desperately chewing through medkits to kill a couple of thugs to easily tossing groups of high ranking enemies (rancor) aside with 2 or 3 force powers you feel like all you've done has meant something for you personally as the player, on top of the compelling plot which has many choices and a lot of well acted, branching dialogue.

The game is paced perfectly too, you always feel like you're doing something (and for a good reason, this game features no quests that feel like arbitrary "Kill X enemy" missions, all of them are unique and compelling) and something new and interesting happens regularly so long as you don't dawdle, giving you a constant stream of interesting dialogue and missions that can last you around 35 hours.

The final thing I would like to mention is the astonishing attention to detail and clear hard work that was put into the creation of this game, unlike most blatant shameless cash ins that we are so accustomed to now. For instance, there is a cantina called "The Drunk Side" the name of which you would only discover by stopping and clicking on the sign, which most players probably wouldn't. I found that rather amusing, and it obviously is completely unnecessary, but Bioware did it for that extra polish and layer of good will. They also present you with a vast array of 'Idiot Buttons', that is, opportunities to press/say things that will cause you to be insta-killed often in ways that may amuse the player just due to how idiotic the events were. It is not only brilliant that Bioware allows the player to do silly things like those,
    but that they allow you to fail is the real stinger here.

Anyway, that is the end of my ridiculously large wall of text. I would like to point out that everyone that gave this game a score below 5 is clearly trolling and/or stupid, as this is a masterpiece of a game the likes of which I doubt we will bare witness to again for some time.
  51. Nov 26, 2012
    I was a big fan of Bioware rpgs, but this one slipped under the radar and I missed it. Just bought it very recently.

At first I was slightly underwhelmed. Graphics, while not bad, are clearly from a previous generation of machines. I found combat somewhat uninteresting. But I said I would keep on going, because I could see that there was something there.

And I am so glad I did.
    Combat I got used to, and it becomes far more enjoyable after you advance the plot a bit. Characters were great. The game became really, really fun. But the story...wow...it blew me away. It could be a movie. I cannot think of another rpg that compares.

I don't know how I missed this, but I am so glad I managed to put that right.
  52. Mar 19, 2012
    This is the game that got me in to playing bioware games, and rpg's in general. It has one of the greatest stories ever in a video game, and also one of the greates star wars stories. The game also has a nice little progression system and good turn based combat, though it may be a little to easy at times. It's a game with a lot of replay value, and it's nice to see the consequences of your choices. Expand
  53. Apr 26, 2013
    simply the best star wars game i've ever played. This is my kind of story based RPG. It does have some annoying qualities but the good far out ways the bad in this situation. If your only into hack and slash and shoot em' up games this is not for you. If you love story based/character driven RPG's this game is for you. If you love the star wars universe this game is for you. all i want now is KOTOR 3 Expand
  54. Apr 20, 2012
    Just this: a lot of the current games out there still can't compete with KOTOR in terms of narrative and story-telling. Definitly a must-have for the RPG lovers.
  55. May 3, 2012
    The best RPG i have played yet. This game really takes you deep in to the Star wars world and has a amazing story. Dont miss out if you like RPG!
  56. May 10, 2012
    Only few games have got me as immersed in a story as Knights of the Old Republic did. This game is brilliant in every aspect and deserves a full score.
  57. Aug 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is seriously one of my favourite games of all time. Sure it's a bit dated, with a more primitive NPC dialogue system, and the graphics are a little out of date. But this game still holds up. You can mix and match party members for different fighting styles, talk to your NPC companions which are well written and feel like real people. I do have a few gripes about it though, the customization is a bit lacking, you choose from a set of heads, then you choose from 3 different classes, which don't really matter because you're forced to become a Jedi. Blasters are pretty much useless, because you're forced to use a light sabre. I feel if this game got an HD remake, with combat like Dragon Age, along with the character customization, better NPC interactions, and more items to mix and match, it would be a near perfect game. The story in this game is amazing, it has a major plot twist that you wouldn't expect. No matter the flaws of this game, it will always be one of my favourite games of all time. It's a must buy for any Star Wars or RPG fan. Expand
  58. May 16, 2012
    Does no one edit these reviews? It seems fairly obvious that the same troll created multiple Metacritic accounts to leave very low reviews. Anyway, I havent played the game yet but at 7 bucks(which is what it is on Steam atm) you really cant go wrong one way or the other. I guess I also feel kinda sorry for the guy who created all those accounts simply to bring down the rating of a game on one rating site. I mean, jeesh! If you didnt like the game why waste so much more time and effort on it? Must have a pretty pathetic existance(which is where my sympathy comes in lol). Expand
  59. May 26, 2012
    As far as I am concerned this is the greatest PC masterpiece of all time. The plot, voice-acting, game play...everything, is absolutely stunning. I recently completed this for the 12th time and I know I will still go back to it over the summer.
  60. Jun 21, 2012
    This is my all-time favorite game. Every game I play I try to rate on a scale of zero to SW: KOTOR. It will probably blow your mind too. This game has everything you want in a game: a terrific and immersing story-line, top notch voice-acting, a unique type of mechanics, and beautiful, memorable graphics. The game isn't a game that you finish in mere hours. You can spend days playing this game. That might be a con to some, but to me that just means you get to enjoy the game for a long time. All of the characters have great and easily identifiable personalities. There are different paths you can choose with your party members, so choose wisely. The game is played as a third-person turn-based RPG. Don't get frightened by turn-based, because it can be both fast and slow. It also helps you out by auto-pausing at different times (such as an enemy sighted). It's really easy to understand and different from other games. In addition to all of that, the graphics are amazing, especially for a game made just eight years ago! I really hope if you are planning to get this game you enjoy this as much as I did. Expand
  61. Jul 19, 2012
    Probably my favourite game, most of the people who have submitted negative reviews are criticising the gameplay, I guess you gotta know what you're getting into, they clearly didn't.

While it has it's flaws, I just love the game. The gameplay isn't full of action, but it's still one of the best games I've ever played.
  62. Jul 21, 2012
    ok so thei might be alot wrong with this game but for me their is alot more right, I ve played this through several times and the fact ive still never gotten sick of it is enough for me!!!!
  63. Sep 23, 2013
    Excellent game, and with the very cheap price tag now you can't go wrong. To add to it all of the mods (restored content and improved graphics) you can find available makes this a game everyone should play at least once.
  64. Aug 6, 2012
    All things considered, this is one of my favorite games ever. The gameplay is fun, the story is amazing, and the character development is interesting (the latter two you could guess after seeing Bioware). If you are a Star Wars fan and don't hate RPGs, then you're sure to like this game. With that said, the game does have its flaws: an annoying inventory system, boring mini-game, and a leveling system which punishes you if you don't spec as melee from the start. But, in my humble opinion, the game more than makes up for these shortcomings. Given that Bioware chose to make a Star Wars MMO, I doubt we'll ever see if KOTR3, but I suppose I can keep my fingers crossed... Expand
  65. May 26, 2013
    Before KOTOR, Star Wars games were notorious to be very bad. KOTOR broke that trend. KOTOR was an instant hit, and is one of the best RPG's ever made.

KOTOR was crafted at the tail end of what we gamers would like to call, the "Golden Age" of videogames. Lasting roughly from 1996-2004, this was a very exciting time for video games. Huge leaps in innovation were seen, developers and
    publishers took risks, and we saw top quality games being churned out every year. This was the age of SquareSoft's final fantasies and Blizzard's Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft series.

And then there was KOTOR and Bioware.

KOTOR has it all deep gameplay, excellent story and graphics all with a classic Star Wars soundtrack, with new and familiar tunes. KOTOR is Bioware's masterpiece, only comparable to Mass Effect 2. Bioware had managed to blend the fundamentals of traditional DnD gameplay with the more modern aspects of computer action rpg. The result is a fantastic game which pays homage to its roots while expanding gameplay to seamless, action fun with deep gameplay mechanics.

Action isnt broken up through battle-rest-battle, but rather streamlined, and Force abilities (Spells) do not have to be recharged through resting. Instead of the traditional DnD alignment system, we are given a streamlined, good-neutral-evil alignment through actions, and you will see that chage through the blue to red smoke behind your character. We also have a simplified class system. Though at first glance it may seem too simple, it is much deeper than what it lets on, and is more forgiving to players that dont choose the right feats.

But KOTOR really shines is the story. KOTOR's story is one of the best of what videogames have to offer. The writing team for KOTOR truly had their moment here. The story is so engaging, so brilliant it will have you glued to the game. In fact, I am not surprised if there are fans that are trying to make their own fan movie of KOTOR. The story is just that damn good. KOTOR really started the trend of Player Choice, as your actions have their consequences, and not just with alignment changes. Remember to play a male PC, as you'll get the full force of the story, with a meaningful romance that affects the story to the very end.

If you havent played KOTOR, you are seriously missing out on one of the best RPG's ever made.
  66. Aug 9, 2012
    I've never played such an amazing game, KotOR probably has one of the best story lines. It would be sweet if they remade it with better graphics, models and character customization other than a preset face. Either way this is defiantly in the top five of my favorite games.
  67. Sep 3, 2012
    I may be biased since this is my favorite video game of all time, but this game is truly amazing. The first game that ever made me consider video games as a means of storytelling. A lot of people who complained about this game don't really seem to have an understanding of the game's mechanics. It's fun, I still play it after 9 years of owning it, and the story is probably the best in the Star Wars Universe. There aren't too many ways this game could have been better for its time. Expand
  68. Dec 5, 2012
    This game is a monster. I can still grap it and finish again... spend LOTS of hours on this game.. it's epic! You build your very own Jedi, hang around at pubs and drink beer :D travel around and search for components to build up lightsabers... MANY opportunities.

If they made a new game like this one these days, Metascritic would go crazy about this game ;D for real. It brings good memories.
  69. Oct 31, 2012
    This is the best game ever!,if your looking for an awesome game this is it! it so fun and you will enjoy every min of it, so get for PC or Xbox, it is an awesome game! 10 out of 10
  70. Nov 15, 2012
    Words cannot describe how much fun I had playing this, It's like that one childhood game that will always be special to you, I have played through this game countless times and it never gets old for me, If you are a fan of star wars games then stop reading this review and go and buy this game!
  71. Dec 18, 2012
    I made an account on here just so I could write this review. I even went through all the reviews and clicked the good ones and bad ones, because people need to know that this is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. If you don't like Star Wars or never cared for it, and want a solid RPG, this is your ticket. If you like Star Wars and have been a fan for who knows how long, then nobody has done anything greater in the gaming industry for you than this. Play this game. It's a masterpiece, it's well written, loads of fun, and not only that, but you can mod the game with mods from Filefront and add tons more replay value to it. You're not just staring at a game my friends; you're staring at an exquisite work of art. Expand
  72. Jun 13, 2014
    I solved widescreen and UI stretch problem in both of the KOTOR games with some online solution. Now I can relive the wonderful game in full HD and widescreen.
  73. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    This is another classic who set the limit of PC Games far too high. Has its flaws but story and immersion propel it to 10. Must play if you haven't even if you aren't a Star Wars fan.
  74. Apr 24, 2013
    This is so amazing this will stick with you for a long long time after you finish it. This is a true masterpiece when someone should think of what is a good R.P.G. K.O.T.O.R. should be the first thing to come mind. Great combat mechanics AMAZING STORY unmatched this might be my favorite plot a game has thrown to me so far just stunning and i love game that give you a choice and there is no good ending both endings are good you can play the way you want and get the ending you deserve you don't need to be super careful about that you say because even if you go with the technically bad ending its fantastic also it does what mass effect did wrong with the dialogue when you click on a dialogue option you will say exactly what's written that's what's brings us to the voice acting which is truly the best I've ever heard it makes me want Bastille's babies that much more and there are so many memorable characters who leave a lasting impression and so many wonderful places to go and explore with wonderful level design filled with side quests and brimming with secrets just such a wonderful game this game is a true gem in an industry that's full of terrible reboots and sequels (including this game's sequel) but this is one of those games where if even if the next 100 to come are terrible you still had this one glories game this is currently the pinnacle of gaming and i don't see it being topped any time soon. Expand
  75. May 23, 2013
    Still after so many years this is the best RPG I have ever played. I have finished it several times and every single one it was a great adventure. I wish Disney would allow some companies to make a continuation. This is also one of the best Star Wars game ever. So if You are a SW fun and/or You like really nice RPG You have to play KOTOR. Even now, ten years after the premier graphics are acceptable and gameplay is not tiring at all. Expand
  76. May 5, 2013
    One of the best games ever made. If you're not a fan of the combat then the amazing storyline will be the ultimate drug which will keep you playing until the end. KOTOR is the only game I've ever played through more than twice.
  77. May 16, 2013
    Where to start? Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is, and has been since I first finished it, my absolute favorite game. For ten years, this game, despite all of the other awesome and fantastic games I have played, still manages to be number one. Why? Because this game has what any game should, both quality and quantity.

I remember picking this game up on my Xbox for the first time.
    I didn’t know what to expect. I have been a Star Wars fan forever, since I saw the first movies. It was praised by critics and reviewers, so I figure I would try it. Little did I know that I would be playing a game that would inspire so many good memories in me.

I’ll start with the meat of the game—the storyline. This is probably one of the best stories I have ever experienced. It flows quite easily and was very immersive. This game introduced me to the whole “Old Republic” era of Star Wars, and as of now it is actually my favorite. This game introduces you to a story that you will love and really get involved in. It also gives you choice, such as a multitude of dialogue options which can affect the game in the end. I’m always a fan of the option to give as much choice as possible to players. There is also a very surprisingly plot twist at the near-end of the game which really makes the story pop.

The gameplay is also great. It’s sort of a fast-paced turn-based style of combat. I feel the difficulties are pretty balanced, none too easy and none too hard. The level up system is alright, but can be made better with mods (which I will discuss later on). The different skills and whatnot are very helpful throughout the game, such as Computer Use which allows you to hack into terminals and do a variety of things or Repair where you can repair broken droids to assist you in combat in that area. Combat is just very smooth and I was very happy with how they brought lightsaber battles to light.

The graphics are, in my opinion, really good for its time. You won’t be seeing HD textures or Skyrim-quality graphics, but really in 2003 there were few games that actually looked as good as KOTOR. But even today, it’s not all that bad looking. Planets are pretty good looking and heads for models are detailed.

This game really shines on the PC, and the reason why is because you can mod it. The KOTOR Filefront has thousands of mods which you can easily install to improve the game, either gameplay-wise or cosmetic-wise. I love it when a game has modding capabilities, and BioWare was kind enough to make this game easily moddable. I always mod it when I play it and it makes gameplay even better than it is vanilla.

This game is a standard for all role-playing games. This is what a role-playing game should feel like, fun and never boring. It’s a must have in my opinion if you like stories and Star Wars both. I have so much nostalgia when I replay this game. I hope you all love this game as much as I have.
  78. May 21, 2014
    Stars Wars Knights of the Old Republic has so much lore that it could stand by itself in a entirely separate star wars universe, I would rank Kotor in similarity with the likes of Deus Ex, what they both have in common is that you can play the game at least 50 times and still have a different outcome, what i mean is your decisions and actions through the games various dialogue options count and effect the games overall outcome. In my opinion Kotor is the few RPG's that defined the genre. I would recommend this to any RPG/Star Wars fan or gamer alike. Expand
  79. Jun 5, 2013
    Probably the best Star Wars game of all time, and one of the greatest role-playing games ever produced. You get an incredibly engrossing story with tons of customization. This means you get tons of different feats, powers, equipment, weapons, etc. to use at your disposal, along with three classes to choose from at the start. With so many side quests to do and decisions to make (leading you towards the light side or dark side, with multiple endings too), no single playthrough will be the same. That's really saying something especially considering that the game is about 40 hours long, so there's definitely some very hefty replay value.

The way that Bioware let us be who we are as a person (all set in the glorious Star Wars universe) is simply astounding. There are tons of planets to visit, and it's pretty amazing to see all of them come to life. There are tons of characters to talk to on each planet; some can give you advice, some gamble, some give you quests, while others will even fight you. Many characters (particularly my party members) are extremely memorable like the fan favorite HK-47, for example. I found myself become very attached to some, and the interaction is basically limitless. By the way, the voice acting (which you'll be hearing quite a bit) is incredible. The lip syncing is pretty good as well. And of course, the graphics are great, especially for the time.

This is an RPG, so you will continuously get stronger, and I felt extremely powerful by the end. The fighting system is excellent. Basically, you choose the moves you want to perform before fighting and the battle plays out in real-time. A die is rolled in order to decide whether your attack will land or not. All in all, it works very well. Everything is pretty smooth, and I didn't encounter many glitches. If you're going to buy it on Steam, be wary of playing it on Windows 7, as there could potentially be TONS of glitches.

All in all, this is a groundbreaking, near-perfect game that will forever stand the test of time. In my mind, it will probably be considered a classic in a few years from now. It's that good. If you haven't played this Bioware masterpiece yet, then GO PLAY IT NOW. Even if you're not a Star Wars fan. You'll love every bit and will never forget it!
  80. Jun 17, 2013
    Best RPG of all time, replay value of over 10 years and the massive mod collection constantly enhances the experience. No doubt, this game deserves a 10/10
  81. Jul 25, 2013
    A legend, this game changed the whole RPG genre and started the Bioware RPG domination. Writing cons is faster so lets get to it: Fights are boring, back in 2003 it was something new and great but after 10 years it revelaed its true boring nature. Graphics werent amazing even in 2003 and now they look bad. I had something more on my mind but i cant remember what, this game is the best SW game ever released and its one of the best games of history. Expand
  82. Jul 28, 2013
    Overall a fantastic game. Easy to play, very entertaining. Storytelling, characters, plot, lore are absolutely great. Maybe a bit too easy on normal difficulty, and sometimes a bit lengthy due to a lot of running around in the same areas, but still one of my all time favorites. The sequel is good, but not a match to this game.
  83. Dec 8, 2013
    The absolute golden standard of games. Words could not describe the absolute immersion and joy, even the sense of being totally blowed away when I first played it, which are so rare for a seasoned gamer. In the seaside planet I could totally feel smell of sea wind, and this is not an exaggeration. The first thought that came across my mind was "this definitely deserves a re-make!" and "I would definitely like another several more play-through" And even no, its original quality is still supreme. A strong sense of responsibility to players is of course the foundation, but even that is not enough: the developers are pure genius. Even today 10 years later after the publication of the game I would still doubtlessly rate it as my favorite RPG, easily far ahead of any other game produced later, and one of the all-time best in any game category(It was ranked as No.3 in "10 best games of the decade by a certain media, if I'm not mistaken). Expand
  84. Sep 4, 2013
    This is my second favorite game of all time, i am a big rpg and si-fy fan so i guess this was i match made in heaven. Yes the controls and graphics are outdated but there is nothing an hd remake cant fix. just have Dice use the frostbite engine and i will be happy. i want to see my hd remake.
  85. Aug 2, 2014
    This was the first game which I ever truly fell in love with, by which I mean I could not suppress the urge to replay it year after year. This review will be short, as it has no need to be otherwise.

The game is an RPG, which is a genre it wears supremely. It offers the MOST immersive experience I perhaps have ever seen from a video game; it's story is intriguing, clever, funny, full of
    twists, choice driven and downright captivating.
    The graphics are very nice for the time in which the game was made, and have aged very well.
    The soundtrack is absolutely exquisite, rivaling the original Star Wars music.
    Voice acting is without equal, and combat is based on the Dungeons and Dungeons familiar setup which is extremely tactical and yet also fun.

To conclude, the game in my opinion is damn near flawless, I would recommend it to anyone, and if that said person does not enjoy it, I will clearly have little in common with them!
  86. Sep 24, 2013
    Incluso una década después, para mí, sigue invicto. Un rpg como Dios manda, ambientado en el universo de Star Wars. Buena banda sonora, buenos personajes, excelente mecánica de juego, en general...¿qué mas se puede pedir?
  87. Oct 17, 2013
    Personally, i think it rivals Halo as the best game for the original Xbox. Looking back at it 10 years later, I have yet to play a game that comes close to the story telling or character development like this game has. It has a turn based combat system, which would seem to get repetitive on paper, but harder settings make it useful and thought provoking. Recent RPGs like Mass Effect (who has the same developer, but trust me when i say when KOTOR has a story that flows better), Skyrim, and Borderlands all have elements of great character design, exploration, and game mechanics respectively, but Knights of the Old Republic has them all, and that makes it a great game.

Overall, if you like the Star Wars lore, or like RPGs, buy it ASAP. If you aren't, I would borrow and try it anyway. It's that good. Who knows, maybe it'll become your favorite too.
  88. Oct 22, 2013
    Amazing game. It has some decisions that will put people off, some may not like the combat, think the first planet goes on a bit too long, dislike a few characters etc... but for me everything is perfect. I think my favourite part of the game are the worlds you visit. They are all very unique and you'll want to explore every corner of them and fulfill every side quest.
  89. Oct 29, 2013
    Quite simply the greatest game I've ever played. So much joy to be had in this game. It is timeless. I've played this through at least 4 times and I don't replay games often. This game reminded us all about how good Star Wars could be.
  90. Oct 31, 2013
    This is my favorite game of all time i played it on the original xbox and have beaten over 8 times over the past decade (i still have the original game with the xbox). This game i feel is timeless my reasons being is it has superb story telling, character development, difficult choices, deep history, great voice acting and if you are hardcore about star wars it flushes out the universe so beautifully with a setting fresh and interesting. If enjoyed a more strategic combat than this has it, or you can adjust some setting to make it a little more fast pace. I have never played the PC version but this game is a must play its a classic that really pushed story telling to a whole new level. Expand
  91. Dec 21, 2013
    Great game for its time. Great characters, writing, story (with an amazing twist), pacing, gameplay, an amazing game overall, a love letter to all Star Wars fans and one of the best RPG's ever made
  92. Sep 11, 2014
    In my opinion, this is the perfect RPG. Incredible story, great mechanics with combat, customization, and story (as it is a Bioware game). It was the best game on the original Xbox, and is compatible with the 360 too. And with it on PC, as well as copies now going for dirt cheap, there is no reason why you shouldn't pick this up if you're a Star Wars fan and/or RPG fan. Incredible game, deserves highest praise. 10/10 Expand
  93. May 6, 2014
    I want to start off by saying this is one of my favorite RPG's of all time, honestly I lost count of how many times I have played this game after 4 or 5 times and yes that is how much I like it. Where to begin, lets start with the combat system. Nothing that really complex you equip you and your characters with armor and weapons along with shields and upgrades to make them more effective in combat along with consumables like medpacs to heal yourself. The Combat is turn based but in real time although you can pause the game and plan each of you and your companions moves and then attack. Now lets get to the story. This really is the best Star Wars Story ever written, all the characters are extremely well done especially Bastilla Shan and the Mysterious Darth Revan. Some of the original music made into this game but I appreciate most about the Soundtrack is that the game contained an original Star Wars soundtrack mostly and it fit right in with the universe. This being Bioware I found it at no surprise that the voice acting was superb in every way from Jennifer Hale's Bastilla to Carolyn Seymour's Admiral Dodonna and even though that is a relatively small part it was done so well. I liked Everything about this game and OH MY GOD the plot twist in the middle of them game took me completely by surprise and still gets me every time I play the game. This game has so much story to it that if I tried to explain it all it would ruin it because I would spoil everything and the game is so centered around this amazing story that it really would ruin the game if I told you everything. But here are the basics You wake up on a Republic cruiser under attack then you crash on the Planet Taris with Carth Onasi who is a republic pilot and you have to Find Bastilla who is a Jedi master with a unique ability called battle meditation which can sway the tide of any battle. Once you find her on the planet she sees your force sensitive and takes you to become a Jedi on Dantooine there you discover a threat to the galaxy and you are sent to 4 main and beautifully created planets to find the pieces of the puzzle. I did not find a whole lot to complain about in this game, if I had to choose something it would be one time in my whole 5 playthroughs and beyond my game completely froze but that was one time and it has not happened since. One last thing I want to say about this game is if you are interested in modding Kotor 1 or Kotor 2 download the kotor save game editor mod it is really cool. If you ever were on the fence about buying this game get it now, Its only 10 dollars on steam right now just like Kotor 2, buy it if you are RPG fans, buy it if you are Star Wars fans especially and even if you like video games in general you owe it to yourself to experience this amazing game. Expand
  94. MrZ
    Dec 1, 2013
    This is by far one of my personal favorites. I played this game years ago when I purchased the Star Wars Best of PC pack and was hooked. As a young Star Wars fan, when I started playing it, I was absolutely immersed in the story. Since it takes place long before the movies, it brings about a new and interesting story. Although not the best by today's standards, I still play it to this day.
  95. Dec 2, 2013
    If i had to describe the game in one word it would be "masterpiece". it is amazing how this game has a better story and more interesting characters then the Star Wars prequel trilogy that opens up the star wars universe in ways you couldn't imagine at the time. The RPG style gameplay works to perfection with an addicting leveling up system that makes you want to keep playing.
  96. Jan 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best cRPG's I have ever played and is in my opinion on par with BG. The story is intelligent, interesting and surprising. The game play is great and the environment is captivating and well in tone with the game. I have played it through twice, and each time I have chosen the path of evil. From what I've been told from friends, the game was to easy if one chose the route of good, because of the spell "speed", but even these people were mesmerized by the game. I can do nothing but recommend this game to every fan of the RPG genre, because it has one of the most awesome story lines and game play of any RPG out there. Expand
  97. Mar 10, 2014
    Great RPG, you simply cannot stop playing it. RPG of this generation. Even if it is old, it's unique. It revolutionized gaming. .
  98. Feb 9, 2014
    Easily one of my favorite games of all time. Originally had it on Xbox and later re-purchased it on PC, I have played this game through time and time again, each time as rewarding as the last. This game has an immersive story, an ingenious plot (with the best twist of all time), great game mechanics, and is truly just an excellent game; it is definitely deserving of its praised status and awards. Once you begin, it is impossible to put down. To sum it up: Amazing game. A must-play for Star Wars and RPG fans alike. Expand
  99. May 8, 2014
    If you're a Star Wars fanatic I will recommend playing this game! It is by far one of the best games I played on the Xbox/PC. The story is so good you WILL want to carry on playing. You have the choice to pick out of either the dark side of the force or the light side and your decisions you make will take affect towards your game-play experience. There are 6+ planets if I remember correctly, all which take part in the second game. I played this on release so I cannot remember how many planets there actually are. Anyhow it's a must buy and a 10/10 from me; the second game is just as good, if not better. Expand
  100. Jun 6, 2014
    That's my first game. I love Kotor, it's so amazing. And that's all, what can I say. Peoples, jast buy that things, and we forgive anything, what you see before.

1. The level of control that you have over your characters' actions is truly remarkable... Simply put, this is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the original trilogy. [Feb 2004, p.112]
  2. This is a class act that builds and extends the Star Wars game franchise and PC gamers are getting something their kindred XBOX owners loved to bits and will not be disappointed in any way.
  3. It offers some pretty fundamental improvements over the Xbox version and stands as one of the best PC RPGs out there.