6.0

1. Feb 7, 2013
    Clunky CONSOLE port with a fake "save" button that makes you think you can save at any time when in reality it's based around checkpoints. I love Star Wars but this is pure crap.
  2. Dec 14, 2011
    Whoever ported the controls for this game from console to PC should be ashamed. It's fine until boss fights... then it requires an xbox controller to truly enjoy the game. Who wants to switch back and forth between mouse+keyboard and an xbox controller... not I.
  3. Sep 15, 2010
    I actually created an account just to review this game. It is one of the worst PC games I have ever played. An obvious half-assed console-to-PC port. The menu doesn't even have mouse support. Targeting is next to impossible. The camera often finds itself in walls or other awkward positions. Without a controller for easy combos, some bosses are practically impossible to beat (since theyI actually created an account just to review this game. It is one of the worst PC games I have ever played. An obvious half-assed console-to-PC port. The menu doesn't even have mouse support. Targeting is next to impossible. The camera often finds itself in walls or other awkward positions. Without a controller for easy combos, some bosses are practically impossible to beat (since they have unavoidable attacks and counterattacks). The only reason it doesn't get a 0 is because I had fun tossing wookiees off of cliffs in the first level.

Unless you get this game for free, don't bother installing it. And even if it's free, don't say I didn't warn you.
  4. Dec 29, 2011
    Graphics - Not bad. Not very good, either. There are still major problems with this game and it becomes painfully obvious after the first 5 minutes.

Controls - One of the worst control schemes I have ever used. If you don't have a gamepad..forget this trash even exists Story - Must have been written by a 13 year old without a solid understanding of plot structure or character

Story - Must have been written by a 13 year old without a solid understanding of plot structure or character development. Has so many holes I could have sworn this is swiss. Gameplay - Boring and repetitive. Has some fun points in it..but not enough to even consider spending money on.

Overall - Absolute trash. I am ashamed I even spent 5 dollars on this garbage. I love the star wars franchise..but this doesn't even deserve to have the name Star Wars in the title. Aspyre should not have been trusted with this project. Hell, nor Lucas-Arts for that matter.
  5. MichaelS
    Dec 1, 2009
    While its great to see the closest thing to another Jedi-Knight game. The Force Unleashed misses the mark in production and cross-platform porting values. Simple things like missing textures, lack of a mouse GUI interface. (They also forget to tell you what changes pages until later. Hint: its the " ] " and " [ " As for game play, your character has issues selecting which object he wants While its great to see the closest thing to another Jedi-Knight game. The Force Unleashed misses the mark in production and cross-platform porting values. Simple things like missing textures, lack of a mouse GUI interface. (They also forget to tell you what changes pages until later. Hint: its the " ] " and " [ " As for game play, your character has issues selecting which object he wants to attack/throw. You'll often charge into a group of storm-troopers only to target a box to their left. It gets even worse when you attempt to force-choke a target, and instead force choke a box. Further complications occur when you try to use the enviroment to hit things. Launching a projectile at enemies is near impossible with wonky force-choke controls. Character movement is also sub-par especially for a game that has mild-platforming. There is no ledge-grabbing here, and your character will slide on any surface angled greater than 30 degrees. This generally leads to many quick-deaths as your character's feet miss the platform by a half-foot, and he slides off into the abyss. Lightsaber combat is also iffy at best. Stronger enemies will break every single combo you attempt to launch at them. It doesn't matter if its a lightning-saber in mid-swing, they will be able to attack through it. Certain moves like the "Cross-Slash" makes your character stand in place for five seconds after attacking. Which wouldn't be a problem if six enemies weren't shooting you. The keyboard arrangement is insulting for a PC Gamer. Instead of allowing players to bind abilities to the 1-5 and F1-F4 buttons, you have to attempt to press multiple buttons around your WASD keys. Some of these attacks require you to be moving while pressing combos. I only have five fingers, and I have to stop to press Shift+Q in order to do a dashing attack. What could have been a solid light-saber game has been marred by crappy port and production values. Hopefully the next true Jedi-Knight game will restore order to Lucas Arts saber-games. Expand
  6. Oct 20, 2010
    This was a big disappointment - clunky controls and technical problems I could handle but the HORRENDOUS user interface port and overall shoddy gameplay did it in. I gave it a few good hours of effort but it was too much. Played on Patch 1.2
  7. Oct 27, 2010
    I tried both the console version and the PC version and i have to admit that i'm quite impressed that they managed to transfer the retarded controls from the console version to the PC version, and actually make them worse.

F
  8. JohnnyM.
    Jan 22, 2010
    There's not nearly enough in this game to either make it appealling to Star Wars fans, or PC gamers. The control scheme is wretched, and the number of holes in its plot (NOT just its disrespect for the canon lore, but its *ridiculous* attempt at a romance story, to the utterly uninspired "betrayal" or the lamest excuse to put Darth Maul into a game I've ever seen) In all There's not nearly enough in this game to either make it appealling to Star Wars fans, or PC gamers. The control scheme is wretched, and the number of holes in its plot (NOT just its disrespect for the canon lore, but its *ridiculous* attempt at a romance story, to the utterly uninspired "betrayal" or the lamest excuse to put Darth Maul into a game I've ever seen) In all fairness, Sam Witwer does a decent job as Starkiller, and the graphics are decent enough. But with repetitive levels (The level list goes: Kashyyk, Imperial Factory, Junkyard planet, Felucia, Imperial Ship, Bespin... uhhh... Kashyyk... again... Felucia again, Junkyard Planet... again... Come on REALLY?), awkward controls, a discouraging story, unengaging secondary characters and force powers that respond as well as a golden retriever with ADD amped up on meth this game has very little to save it. Last of all, this is the first Star Wars Jedi type game where I felt drastically removed from the powers of the force. Outcast, Academy and Dark Forces II all did a wonderful job of making the player FEEL like a part of the force... the games had a decent flow. This seems to take away from that... there's something very specific missing from it. Maybe it's the lack of first person, but I feel like it's more in the mechanics of the powers themselves. This though is more a personal gripe than an actual critique of the game itself. 3 for decent acting and nice enough graphics (that didn't have as much PC customization as I'd like). Expand
  9. Paul
    Jan 11, 2010
    Clunky, awkward, and not very good. Hard to use force controls and a lack of first person view both suck.
  10. JeffH
    Dec 30, 2009
    Ok, it's fun. It's Star Wars. It's one of the worst ports I have ever seen. No AA, No Bloom, restrictive resolutions. If you are going to port a game to the PC, port it right. I have a PC because my GPU kicks PS3 butt. So I see no advantage of buying this for the PC. I want my AA, I want my Bloom. I want my 2048x1152. Hopefully this will be patched. I doubt it though, and I Ok, it's fun. It's Star Wars. It's one of the worst ports I have ever seen. No AA, No Bloom, restrictive resolutions. If you are going to port a game to the PC, port it right. I have a PC because my GPU kicks PS3 butt. So I see no advantage of buying this for the PC. I want my AA, I want my Bloom. I want my 2048x1152. Hopefully this will be patched. I doubt it though, and I won't buy another stupid Port. Expand
  11. Sep 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. a game that could have been great but fell short. the game's concept of the truly ultimate Jedi with force powers on an epic scale was fun at first but it was clear this was a lazy uncared about port as battles got more complicated. the controls were a real let down making the game feel clunky and forcing me to dig out my controller to play the game to it's full potential, and I sure hope you like quick time events and button mashing as this game has plenty of both for every large enemy and boss. the quick time events looked cool at first and made the character look like a true Jedi but the they got repetitive and boring and eventually tedious which is the last thing you want in a game. although there is one stand out section where the game's concept comes to life and that's the section where you literally pull a star destroyer out of the sky as it plummets towards the planet, it really gives you a sense of invulnerability and power but the section is short lived and the only part like it in the game. but with this edition of the game comes three extra levels which are really cleverly thought out and fun as they show what the later movies would have been like if Star killer (the character you play as) was the Emperor's apprentice and not Vader but the levels are short and like the rest of the game simple and eventually boring and even with the extra levels I completed the entire game in a single play session. this game could have really been something the ports just needed more time and then again so did the game. Expand
  12. Jun 8, 2012
    Positive: Nothing ... maybe the AI.
    Positive: Nothing ... maybe the AI.
    Negative: Graphics are very ugly and outdated. For example there is no AA, textures and light effects are terrible. Gameplay is pure garbage, camera is making crazy positions and controls are bad (I mean globally, not the key settings).This game is one of the worst ports ever. Maybe its good on console (I don't know), but on PC its pure garbage. I played version 1.2 so after the second (last) patch, so its not about patch.
  13. Oct 16, 2010
    Very disappointed in this game and very surprised that Lucas departed from a winning interface. Perhaps the most disappointing part of this game is that it is an obvious and very poor translation from a console game to a pc game. The GUI and screen displays do not work well and are very frustrating. I have played the KOTOR series and love those games. Those games were a huge hit, so itVery disappointed in this game and very surprised that Lucas departed from a winning interface. Perhaps the most disappointing part of this game is that it is an obvious and very poor translation from a console game to a pc game. The GUI and screen displays do not work well and are very frustrating. I have played the KOTOR series and love those games. Those games were a huge hit, so it is puzzling why they changed the interface. Save your money. This is a waste of disk space. Expand
  14. May 15, 2014
    This new Star Wars game really was just swimming in mediocrity. The developers who made this were clearly pretty lazy not to include mouse support for the menu. The game's combat is OK, but it gets very repetitive as you go on. The frame rate usually suffers from drops to 20 fps or lower. The visuals are muddy, but endurable and textures are mediocre. The targeting is nearly impossible,This new Star Wars game really was just swimming in mediocrity. The developers who made this were clearly pretty lazy not to include mouse support for the menu. The game's combat is OK, but it gets very repetitive as you go on. The frame rate usually suffers from drops to 20 fps or lower. The visuals are muddy, but endurable and textures are mediocre. The targeting is nearly impossible, and the story is very linear. How this game manages an okay score is beyond me. The only thing going for this, and how it salvages 3 points is because they had a good concept, and it shows at some points, but Star Wars: The Force Unleashed does no effort to escape its immense mediocrity. Expand
  15. Feb 23, 2014
    This POS is the only game I rated so low on Metacritic.
    This is A BLATAN CONSOLE RIP with extremely unresponsive controls. Targeting system is horrible, there is a lock system mechanic that just PLAIN AND SIMPLE DOES NOT WORK.
    Examples: - you press E to force-push a weakened enemy and your character turns around striking an enemy across the room instead, ignoring the auto-lock - you
    This POS is the only game I rated so low on Metacritic.
    - you throw an explosive container at an enemy, and instead of throwing forwards it throws it to the left or right to hit another container because targeting system thinks you always want to hit the closest target when throwing (because logic is overrated)
    While the game does have some potential and nice animations, particle effects and what not, I just couldn't get myself to enjoy it with keyboard and mouse. Whoever was in charge of making the PC port FUDGED IT UP COMPLTELY.
    Also I expected numerous glitches with level geometry, disappearing textures and what not.
    This is not worth your money nor your time.
  16. Mar 10, 2017
    This is a completely ****ed up game. I give this game a complete ****ing zero rating. And here's why you need to NOT buy this game:

COMBAT * You're a Jedi warrior. So powerful right? Wrong! In this game ALL your powers are limited to a very short distance. Lightning is limited. Push is limited. You can't pull. Grip takes a lot of time. Your enemies on the other hand are hiding in

COMBAT
    * You're a Jedi warrior. So powerful right? Wrong! In this game ALL your powers are limited to a very short distance. Lightning is limited. Push is limited. You can't pull. Grip takes a lot of time. Your enemies on the other hand are hiding in unreachable areas - for example high up on the roof behind a fence. You can't target them because your camera doesn't turn that way. You can't target them either which is the next problem.

* Targeting system - The bl**d su**ing Jedi prioritizes the SCRAP METAL parts over all the enemies, the bosses, the henchment, the door lock which is your mission. Out of all these things he selectively picks up the SCRAP METAL for targetting. So your lightning hits the metal while henchmen beat the hell out of you. Push goes to the metal. All your punches, light-saber swings goes to the metal pieces. Meanwhile the boss is beating you, snipers are targetting you from outside the screen, the ground is shaking and ALL your jumps are in the wrong direction.

CONTROLS + KNOCKED-DOWN:
    Except movement ALL fighting buttons - lightning, grip, push have a 2 second delay. Yes 2 seconds. Not even 1 second delay but a whole 2. Okay so that is about the controls.

About the fights ALL enemy punches will stop whatever you are doing and Knock you down. So if you just about to shoot Force push (maybe in a milli-second) and an enemy hit you you won't release all that power. Instead you'll fall down on the ground taking a hit.

Now combine both these points together and the 3rd level onwards, about 90% of the fights in this game will be this. You meet a bunch of enemies. 3 guys knock you down. Your character is out of control. By the time he gets up he has already been hit 4-5 times. The moment you get the controls he gets hit and falls down again. So throughout the fight he endlessly stays down.

SNIPERS:
    This is the most annoying part of the game. What is greater than a Jedi? According to this game it's a sniper rifle and mini-gun blaster rifles. So lets say you are on teh ground doing your knocked-down routine. You get up, fall down, get up, fall down etc. Suddenly a scope reticule will appear on you. When this happens you nkow that a sniper has aimed at you. And once the sniper does this he can target you THROUGHOUT that area. Yes you read that right. THROUGHOUT! Even behind a WALL! (Patch ***ing 1.2 - which is their latest patch which is after fixing bugs).

This glitch makes the sniper guy the most powerful creature in the game. And the levels literally have dozens of snipers. So what you need to do in the levels is abandon everything else and first try to kill the sniper. Becauase once the scope reticule has appeared on you then the sniper wont allow you to hit a single unit.

My workaround for this was to use a cheat trainer that gave me infinite lightning, infinite health etc. And still the game was a major pain in the a**. You fall-down, get up, fall-down, get up and try to look around for where the ***k the sniper is but you can't turn the camera because it's fixed. So you do the **** double jump and spot him - usually on some ledge. You jump + Force lightning = doesnt work. He is targetting the scrap pieces on the ground. Jump + Force Push= doesn't work. Still targetting the ground. You try to climb up but you can't. Max you can do is just keep jumping to spot him.

THE ONLY COMBAT:
    The only way to fight is to pick up those ****ing scrap pieces and hit people with them. He always gives the highest preference to scrap pieces. So you force grip them and then throw them in a general direction hoping that it will hit the enemy. In most of the times it doesn't hit anyone. So you keep throwing the metal objects at the sniper. You throw once.. knocked-down, get up, knock-down, get up, knock-down, get up... try Twice.. it didn't work again. knocked-down, get up, knocked-down, get up... try Thrice. Still didn't work. Like this yuo need to try about 5-6 times and it will finally hit that ONE sniper. Don't forget there are OTHER snipers too!! Now repeat the whole process with the other sniper.

BOSSES + HENCHMEN can interrupt Jedi Force Powers:
    While you're doing all these things EVERYONE around you is just beating the crap out of you! If you are using lightning on them then they don't fall down. Instead they will take out their gun and shoot and you get knocked-down again. I mean WTFF! A single blaster shot is enough to get the Jedi on the ground. Meanwhile you throw your light saber at them and they block it. They can block a F***ING LIGHT SABER! Even if you charge your light saber and throw it they can still block it. How is that even possible?

Nobody dies from a single stroke of light saber. And I'm talking about the least game difficulty - the casual difficult setting. For the most ordinary henchmen you need 4 lightsaber stro
  17. May 7, 2014
    I started playing this and couldn't figure out why the reviews put it in such poor light, but now that I've sunk a few hours into it, it's easy to see why the scores are so low. Basically it's a game with so much potential packaged with a greater level of disappointment. It was ported by very, very lazy people who were probably coding with one hand, while holding their junk with the other.I started playing this and couldn't figure out why the reviews put it in such poor light, but now that I've sunk a few hours into it, it's easy to see why the scores are so low. Basically it's a game with so much potential packaged with a greater level of disappointment. It was ported by very, very lazy people who were probably coding with one hand, while holding their junk with the other.
    This is one of the worst console ports I've seen on PC. It's worse than GTA IV and is trying to rival Viking: Battle for Asgard. There are a few reasons why it's such a bad port. The graphic optimisation for the game is terrible and should be running far smoother. Because the graphics aren't optimised, it also doesn't take advantage of many of the wonderful options available on PC to make a game look amazing. Users also can't choose these many options to optimise performance on their PC's, so many users are unable to play the game on their lower end systems.
    The controls are very clunky. Objects picked up and thrown with the force hardly ever seem to go in the right direction. Targeting is hit or miss and often the most random objects are selected, rather than the creature standing RIGHT IN FRONT of you currently slaughtering away. Momentum clearly doesn't exist and this makes jumping very hard. Double jumping sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
    The menus are clunky and the game house NO mouse cursor for menu selection. Basic things like making sure the combo menu is easier to navigate to and read quickly aren't included.
    One of the biggest pissoff factors has to be the "even though you've changed your controls to suit your style of play, all of the messages throughout the game will show the original controls". This would be fine, except that all big creatures and bosses have finishing moves that require button mashing combos that show the original keys and make for tedious and difficult gameplay. Then there's also the combo menu, which shows all of the original keys.
    The camera is below average during normal gameplay and absolutely abysmal during boss fights. The camera works on console, but this is a PC PORT!
    All in all, this game leaves me constantly fighting through everything other than the actual enemies in game.
  18. May 4, 2014
    Poor controls on the PC version. I had to hook up my 360 controller to get it playable. Force powers are kinda silly - they routinely blast people into walls or staircases, and make short work of the enemies are clearly supposed to be the "hard" mobs (a single force push into any environmental hazard kills them). I got stuck in a staircase from the first bosses's push attack right off thePoor controls on the PC version. I had to hook up my 360 controller to get it playable. Force powers are kinda silly - they routinely blast people into walls or staircases, and make short work of the enemies are clearly supposed to be the "hard" mobs (a single force push into any environmental hazard kills them). I got stuck in a staircase from the first bosses's push attack right off the bat, had to spend the next 5 minutes jumping up and chopping at his ankles so I could get to the next scene - there's not a "load last checkpoint" that I could find.

It's not bad for a hacky-slashy-blasty limited thinking game, but there are games that do it far better. Overall it's a 4 for being a poor console port of a poor console game. Pick it up on sale, or pick up any of the other, vastly better star wars games instead.
  19. Feb 2, 2017
    This game really suck for a SW game. Force. combos and other stuff doesnt even means if you can pass the game with only simple hits of saber. Controlling on PC ugly, graphic sucks and LAGS. 1/10

1. A slapdash porting job turns the Force into a farce in this Star Wars action game.
    It doesn't fix or change anything in the original game - it just gives you a few more levels and some new skins. If you don't already have the game, give it a look. If you do, you might just want to go the DLC route.
  3. The gameplay doesn't really satisfy me, but what's worse are the technical issues. Still, the game has its moments and can be great fun because of the story and the force powers.