5.8

1. Dec 21, 2011
    Its hard to say what makes this game so incredible, is the the stylised clone wars graphics, the orchastrated music or the fantastic narritive? I think its a combination of all of this and more. The game itself dosent feel like an mmo, from the very beginning if feels like you are playing your very own rpg based in the star wars universe and there just happens to be other people runningIts hard to say what makes this game so incredible, is the the stylised clone wars graphics, the orchastrated music or the fantastic narritive? I think its a combination of all of this and more. The game itself dosent feel like an mmo, from the very beginning if feels like you are playing your very own rpg based in the star wars universe and there just happens to be other people running around in the same world. It feels very much like the original KOTOR games right down to the companion quests and the combat. The standard bioware dialogue tree is there and it allows you to make decisions that will not only effect your alligent between dark and light, it also effects how your crew look at you and both are not always tied together. For instance, its possible to be a Sith making dark side choices but loose the respect of your crew because of it. This makes playing the game a unique balancing act, as a Bounty Hunter i feel no pressure to lean one way or the other and i make choices that i feel are appropriate to the situation, on the other hand a friend of mine is struggling to always make dark side choices as a sith because he feels he should, but they are not always things he agrees with.

A lot has been said about the graphics of the game, some love them and some hate them, the styleised approach is a wise one considering the type of game it is. Keeping the look away from realism stops them from dating as quickly as Galaxies did and allows the facial animation to shine through. The bold and colourfull environments do a great job of reflecting the Star Wars lore and never once do you feel that you are looking at something that could look better in a different engine.

The controls are standard mmo and that is perhaps the one thing about the game that isnt unique, you use your mouse to control point of view, ASWD control directions and the number keys are your attacks. The actual combat however looks great, as a bounty hunter you can engage your jetpack and fly Bob-Fett style above your foes raining rockets and blaster fire on them. As a Sith you can fire lightning from you finger tips and watch your enemies squirm in pain, the game feels authentically Star Wars.

Overall if you are a fan of Bioware titles, enjoy playing mmos or even just have a love for Star Wars this is the game for you. The strong story telling and excellent voice acting will keep you occupied when your friends are not around, and the execellent Flashpoint events (where everyone can have a dialogue option) will reward you for playing with others. I have no problem rating this one with a 10, its easily the best MMO out there today and is amoungst the best rpgs.
  2. Dec 21, 2011
    While the game does include some minor issues expected of any MMO during its infancy, many of those expected are minor or completely absent. The story, from what I have seen, is excellently written, the sound is very well done, and the graphics (while an issue of some debate) are beautiful. The game can run even on lower end machines (I run an AMD dual core 3Ghz with 4Gb RAM and SapphireWhile the game does include some minor issues expected of any MMO during its infancy, many of those expected are minor or completely absent. The story, from what I have seen, is excellently written, the sound is very well done, and the graphics (while an issue of some debate) are beautiful. The game can run even on lower end machines (I run an AMD dual core 3Ghz with 4Gb RAM and Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 512Mb low profile) And even on my settings if shadows are turned off, I can run the game on high settings. While the game is very similar to many MMOs with features like hotbars, quests, instanced dungeons and PvP, and also has a way of making these features feel new and fresh. The voice overs making the quests feel meaning full rather than yet another pointless slaughter of some creature. NPCs feel more alive than other MMO's as they have a personality and story, and PvP matches, while currently limited, have interesting twists like "Huttball" with an announcer that makes comments about the match. The character customization is somewhat lacking compared to some newer MMO's but is superior to its major competitor, World of Warcraft. Unless you are absolutely set on having very immense customization options to alter every last freckle on your characters face, this should not bother you. Phasing is heavily used, but in my personal opinion, it is used well. Unlike World of Warcraft that require lockstep questing in order to maintain phase with friends, The Old Republic will have multiple identical instances of a zone to prevent excessive overcrowding (although sometimes quest areas are still busy) Your characters story quests are also instanced so that you are not waiting in line for ever other character of your class to complete it. The Old Republic seems to have found a good balance between maintaining a high population, area crowding, and quest completion ability by players. Flashpoints (or dungeons) are very entertaining with entire stories that can play out in multiple ways depending on how the group chooses to go about it. Whenever there is a conversation each party member gets to chose a response and whoever wins the roll says their choice. Some of these lead to different outcomes but your choice is the only one that affects dark or light side points. So you do not have to worry about being the only guy with a heart who doesnt want to flush innocent people into space and losing alignment for it.

Items are highly customizable stat wise allowing you to level your items up with modifications. So you can use the same armor for a long time if its high quality by adding new modifications to it. The weapon customization also affects the color of your blaster bolts or lightsaber blade. If you use a yellow color crystal your bolts or blade is also yellow, and there are various colors to chose from. All in all this is an extremely well done MMO that many will love. The one thing that may turn some people away is the fact that the journey to endgame is designed to be just as fun and important as endgame so you are really cheating yourself if you rush past it. If you want to hit endgame ASAP and could care less about story and the RPG aspects then this may not be your game. If you want to play and MMORPG that actually is an RPG and not a shadow of that title, or are interested in the Star Wars Universe, you will be very pleased with this.
  3. Dec 21, 2011
    Absolutely phenomenal MMO. I've played launches for pretty much every major subscription MMO since 2004 and this has by far been the best. Game-play and story are amazing and the game is pretty much bug free and the servers are running flawlessly.
  4. Dec 22, 2011
    Well, this game seems to have drawn some polarity. Let me add some reality to the mix here.

First, anyone that has rated this game in the red zone is being highly unrealistic. They may not like the game for this reason or that reason, but it is certainly not a sub-5 game by any stretch of the imagination. There are plenty of MMOs out there that are far worse. Second, comparing this game to WoW is like comparing Battlefield 3 to Doom...other than the familiar mechanics and game play at the most superficial levels, they don't play or feel the same at all.

On to the game itself. I've played in a few rounds of beta and have been playing in the early entry. My past history includes 6+ months (typically much more) of WoW, LoTRO, Rift, CoH / CoV, and Aion with some playing of Guild Wars, Warhammer, Age of Conan and Champions Online.

The opening cutscene is very well done and does set the mood for the game very well. The character creation is fairly minimal with some races only being available based on class and/or faction selection. Customization is limited to a handful or two of pre-set conditions around hair style, facial expression, scars / tattoos, and general character size. This is pretty standard for any MMO that uses the armor / clothing pieces as the primary character appearance.

Starting with you new character introduces the next major cutscene which is also well done and sets the stage for your character's storyline. Each faction / class combination truly feels unique with their storylines even though the starting areas (levels 1 thru 10) are shared (e.g. both jedi types - knight and consular - have the same starting area). The story is the primary separation between SWTOR and other MMOs at this stage. The stories are well done with voice acting all along the way. If you are not particularly interested in following the story, then you may want to pass on the game since you are missing out on 1/2 the experience.

Interaction with NPCs take 2 flavors: Quest interactions which are all story based and voice acted (some are just for your class, others are for anyone in the zone) or trainers / vendors.

Combat follows standard MMO conventions with various cc, damage, heal, and anti-cc abilities. Cooldowns are put appropriately on abilities that have higher damage, heal or cc effects. Several abilities are conditional on the status of the target (e.g. stunned). You will find rotations that are far more effective than others, and as you get up in levels, you will find that you can't rely on a single spam ability that will get you thru...and optimizing your rotation allows you to keep progressing with minimal breaks.

Specialization gives you access to two different set of trees based on your class. The trees support tank, dps, or heals. Notably, the trees that support tank give access to good damage as do the trees that supporting healing. Trees that are heavy dps tend to give access to better cc.

PvP is decently supported and reasonably well balanced. Queues tend to pop quickly since all levels play together (levels 10 thru 50) with players below level 50 powered up to do competitive damage. Since lower level players lack many abilities, there are more struggles, but I've been able to take out higher level opponents on my lower level toons, so my impression of PvP is that balance is better than most other MMOs I've played. The maps are rather interesting changes to the standard capture the flag approach with a game of Huttball with allowable passing to other players on your side being the most popular.

Crafting is pretty unique in this MMO. Rather than gathering yourself, your crew does the work for you. You send the crew out to gather or craft and they will be unavailable until their mission / crafting is complete. You are able to send them out while working in a group on an instance as well. There is a good selection of crafting / gathering skills to select from, so it makes for some interesting choices. You are limited to 3 selections per character.

Most of the game world is shared. Instancing is restricted to your class story line quests or group instancing (I know some of the reviews make it sound like the game world is as heavily instanced as Guild Wars, but that is definitely incorrect). There are some group "required" areas / instancing even in the starter areas, so you do get introduced to grouping early on. Even servers labeled as "Light" are full of activity as a result.

Overall, the game is lively and fun. The classes are interesting approaches to a sci-fi MMORPG that makes for a very capable MMO. If you don't enjoy the RPG aspect, you probably won't find anything more compelling than other MMO games, but it is still a first rate game worth a try.
  5. Dec 21, 2011
    Excellent game ! engaging, good features, excellent immersion. Some good innovation here and elimination of grinding. Class stories are very well done. 10/10 in my book
  6. Dec 21, 2011
    Simply one of the best MMO's I have ever played now some people have said the game is very much similar to WoW and that they were expecting something different. If this is the case for you then you probably didn't keep up with the games development. The choice to make the game operate simiar to that of WoW was for the tried and tested formula of Tank-Heals-DPS which everyone in the MMOSimply one of the best MMO's I have ever played now some people have said the game is very much similar to WoW and that they were expecting something different. If this is the case for you then you probably didn't keep up with the games development. The choice to make the game operate simiar to that of WoW was for the tried and tested formula of Tank-Heals-DPS which everyone in the MMO world is accustomed to. The character creation doesn't leave much to be desired though some people are upset that X race isn't playable yet but the game just came out I'm sure Bioware is waiting to release many different races and classes. As for what they have given us now it is enough to tide us over until they start adding more content to the game. PVP is fairly similar to WoW in which you have to time your CD's and use your abilities accordingly to achieve victory. The game isn't aiming for realism as some people here have griped about or that it is not new and fresh but it is what the masses wanted. Bioware is trying to reach a wider audience then say GW2 being its graphical demand is far lower and its game mechanics aren't all that different then WoW's. This allows for easy transitioning and makes the game readily available to everyone because honestly not everyone can afford a 1500+ dollar computer just to play video games. As for the small bugs here and there strewn through out the game none of it is game breaking and I would like you to find a game that launched with absolutely no problems, it simply isn't possible every game is going to have a few hiccups upon release and these are things that are usually rectified within a month. To many people expected this game to be something that it clearly wasn't going to be. the game is to appeal to people who enjoyed the mechanics within WoW and then add onto it with great story immersion and development of your character while all at the same time being able to share the experience with your friends. Some peopleare upset they cant play as non-humanoid characters but think about it logically and you'll see that it simply wouldn't be possible from a design point of view. Having to make individual motions and armor for one species which in if it were in combat wouldn't make any sense. Like a flying tentacle monster slapping you and using a blaster...what type of armor would it wear? How many pieces of armor does it have? It has to be the same amount as every other species or they wont be bale to balance the game. So in reality adding non-humanoid species to the game isn't possible. The game is still early on and many things are in fact being planned to be released such as "Match to Chest Piece" option which allowed you to match all your armor to the color of your chest piece. Now onto the issues of instancing some people say it makes the game devoid of life I say it makes game immersion all that much deeper. If you were doing a epic quest for your characters story line do you really want a bunch of people running around you shooting and killing everything 24/7? No you don't you want to be sucked into the game and feel like your there with your small party of friend or just with your companion. The whole game is planned around player immersion allowing you the player to form a bond with your character so that you will care about the choices you make through the game and in the end get so much more out of it. Honestly the added voice acting and deep story make questing far more enjoyable then any other MMORPG's quest grind because it draws you in as you seek to learn and discover more about your characters story. I fidn this to be a fantastic MMORPG that may not be as innovative as say Eve online or GW2 but it has certainly set the bar for story telling, lore and character development. Simply put if you enjoyed KOTOR 1-2, Mass Effect 1-2, Dragon Age 1-2 and have friends that also enjoyed those games I would recommend this game for you. Those of you looking for some new crazy blow your mind game which is going to revolutionize MMORPG's will be disappointed but that's on you. If your going to critique a game then do it on fact also not on assumptions as so many people have done here before. Expand
  7. Dec 21, 2011
    This is a fun game. The inclusion of story to an MMO is brilliant. The sense of immersion is awesome. It doesn't take long to completely forget the world around you while playing. There is tons of content in this game. A player would have to try really hard to get bored while playing.
  8. Dec 21, 2011
    I was not sure about this game in early beta but after thelast beta test I liked it. I played wow, rift, aion, STO, and many others. None were as fun as this one and it is in SW universe. It has grown on me. I do not think it is a WOW clone even that the interface is similar. I think it just made it easier to get in to. It has some small problems but it was just released. IT is FUNI was not sure about this game in early beta but after thelast beta test I liked it. I played wow, rift, aion, STO, and many others. None were as fun as this one and it is in SW universe. It has grown on me. I do not think it is a WOW clone even that the interface is similar. I think it just made it easier to get in to. It has some small problems but it was just released. IT is FUN overall and that is what games are about.
    HATERS ARE GOING to HATE
  9. Dec 22, 2011
    This game is amazing and one of the best MMOs on the market. People are hating on this game right now because they are trying to compare it to SWG and SWTOR is WAY better than SWG ever was. Bioware has brought all the best features from many great MMOs into one place and they polished it all into a great addition to the Star Wars universe. If you loved the KOTOR games you will love SWTOR.This game is amazing and one of the best MMOs on the market. People are hating on this game right now because they are trying to compare it to SWG and SWTOR is WAY better than SWG ever was. Bioware has brought all the best features from many great MMOs into one place and they polished it all into a great addition to the Star Wars universe. If you loved the KOTOR games you will love SWTOR. Dont listen to the cry babies and the haters buy the game and see for yourself how amazing this game really is. Best MMO to release in the last 10 years by far! Expand
  10. Dec 22, 2011
    This game deserve a solid 9/10 despite all haters. If you enjoy WoW and Mass Effect, this is the perfect game for you. Of course this isn't a revolution in the gender, but this is the best improvement for the mmo market since WoW. A never ending KotoR game = win.
  11. Dec 22, 2011
    I have been playing mmo's since they began Meridian 59 and before that muds, this game is not a sandbox, not a wow clone, it is a pretty decent mmo with some amazing storylines and biowares moral and ethical choices that really make this game, play this game for the storylines, for the exploration and choices. An excellent fun game if you are interested in the RPG of mmorpg and the journeyI have been playing mmo's since they began Meridian 59 and before that muds, this game is not a sandbox, not a wow clone, it is a pretty decent mmo with some amazing storylines and biowares moral and ethical choices that really make this game, play this game for the storylines, for the exploration and choices. An excellent fun game if you are interested in the RPG of mmorpg and the journey as much as the end game. Expand
  12. Dec 22, 2011
    So far, I really enjoy this game. Yes, it has aspects of WoW, as well as other MMO game. No, it isn't perfect. However, it is fun, and allows me to play my own way, whether evil or good, which hasn't really been done in an MMO to any reasonable degree. Space combat is enjoyable thus far, although pure flight-sim, skill-based players will be disappointed by the sense of the spaceSo far, I really enjoy this game. Yes, it has aspects of WoW, as well as other MMO game. No, it isn't perfect. However, it is fun, and allows me to play my own way, whether evil or good, which hasn't really been done in an MMO to any reasonable degree. Space combat is enjoyable thus far, although pure flight-sim, skill-based players will be disappointed by the sense of the space combat being on rails. However, for the rest of us, it makes space combat approachable and not excessively frustrating. What strikes me about SW: TOR is that the game would be enjoyable even if I were playing single player. It doesn't use the crutch of "the only reason this is fun is because I'm playing with my friends" although to progress through certain parts, you really should group up with others. I personally like the "public areas" and "private" areas, which allows me to have my own story without 20 other people interfering. What is interesting is that I actually care about the story, which has not been the case in any of the other MMOs that I have played. I actually want to know what happens next, not the "push next until quest is in log" I have not reached the end game yet, so I can't comment on that yet. Perfect? No. Fun? Yes. Well worth the money and time spent so far. Expand
  13. Dec 23, 2011
    This is the MMO I've been waiting for! This is by far the best MMO I've played to date.

Ask me the one thing that makes this one stand out over all the others and I will say that you get to experience real and meaningful story BEFORE you get to high end raids unlike other MMOs. In other words, you already are a hero by the time you start raiding which goes a long way to satisfy casual, solo and small group minded players.

Getting into raids is easier too. Not to bash WoW (which I did like), but this game doesn't require that you grind dozens if not hundreds of hours trying to get enough gear so that you can get into the significant raids where the meaningful story takes place. That endless grind and obscene demand of my time was what previously burned me out of other MMOs. Instead, you can jump into the raids right away.

Other great aspects of this game are:

* Fully voiced dialogue with quest givers, companions, and others.

* Morality choices giving light or dark side points. These choices do have some impact on your game experience with quests opening up while others close based on your prior choices.

* Companions to talk to that give you quests, craft, and grow closer (or farther) to/from you depending on how you interact with them.

* Stable launch. Have experienced very few bugs.

* Fun and dynamic PvP system. Reminds me of WoW in this way and this is not a bad thing.

* Smaller raid (8 or 16 man) sizes than most other MMOs which I like.

* Difficulty slider for Flashpoints (Dungeons) and Operations (Raids) for the casual and hard core player alike.

* A solid crafting system that allows one to not only create new items but to upgrade existing items so that one can keep weapons and armor for the duration of their game play experience if they so choose. In other words, the crafting system is deceptively deep.

* Fantastic music that gives me a real sense of Star Wars immersion.

CONS

There are a few cons and I would be remiss if I didn't mention them. Some of these are:

* Long que waits on Sunday night for me. Both wait times lasted 25 and 30 minutes.

* Small bug where I didn't get money from selling a few items on the auction system.

* Coruscant is too big. Lots of running around that planet. They should've made the ground vehicle available to us allot sooner. * Inflexible and cumbersome UI. They need to allow the community to create their own mods for this.
  14. Dec 23, 2011
    There are a lot of trolls and shills for other games piling on TOR here, which is expected. TOR is one of the most polished and most well-realized games I've seen at a launch and BW has really hit it out of the park with this one.

Most criticisms revolve around TOR using MMO mechanics, which is ridiculous considering it's akin to griping about how an FPS might use guns and first-person view and deal with ammo and the like. MMOs have MMO mechanics, and no matter how much "prettying up" a developer does, the base mechanics will be what they are. Even my beloved sandbox MMOs must bow to this convention.

TOR takes what makes an MMO great and improves on it with a fine level of polish and updating. BW has managed to remove the dreaded grind (from crafting to quests), weave top-notch story-telling throughout every corner of the game, and bring the Star Wars universe to life.

I have been playing since the first day of Early Access. In spite of running into a few bugs (none of which are game-breaking), I have had an incredibly pleasant gaming experience. I have reached level 30 with a Sith Juggernaut and I actually care about my character and companions (well, Vette not as much, but that's what the shock collar's for :p).

Combat is very smooth and the animations superb. I love that you aren't merely striking at empty air but are shown actually striking your opponent and blocking. I love the fast-paced combat and I love the art style, which is also beautifully realized. The planets start from "respectably-sized beginner's box" to massive "Oh, God, I need my speeder right now." They only get larger as you go. The game packs content to the brim, from soloable missions to engaging group content (and there are built-in benefits to grouping in the form of things like social points).

I can't gush enough about TOR and if I do this will take all day to write (and I'd rather get back to playing so I'm going to wrap this up shortly). Yes, there are some minor hiccups, and thus this game doesn't get a perfect score. There are improvements to be made, but they will come in time (space combat--while passable, BW is already working to improve it--I'm looking at you). This is one of the most solid and fun foundations to an MMO I've experienced yet, and I can see really good things coming from this game with future content patches and expansions.

If you like MMOs, BW, Star Wars, or any combination of the above, I urge you to try this game. If not now, then sometime in the future. If a sandbox lover like me can come to love a themepark game (and this might well become the pinnacle of that sub-genre), well...I think a lot of people will be surprised going in.
  15. Dec 23, 2011
    I played WoW off and (mostly) on for seven years. WoW was successful because the gameplay struck the right balance between complex and fun, while the content struck the right balance between casual and dedicated. As the Blizz people often said, they strove to make the game easy to learn but difficult to master. Similarly, there was a ton to do whether you wanted to level every alt or focusI played WoW off and (mostly) on for seven years. WoW was successful because the gameplay struck the right balance between complex and fun, while the content struck the right balance between casual and dedicated. As the Blizz people often said, they strove to make the game easy to learn but difficult to master. Similarly, there was a ton to do whether you wanted to level every alt or focus one or two toons in endgame. Or for the unemployed, all of the above. So far, SWTOR is the clearest heir to WoW's throne and actually improves on the general concept by the enhanced story aspect. But as many reviewers have mentioned, whether people will still be playing SWTOR in seven years from today depends on how well and how quickly (like w/in six months max) Bioware rolls out enough new casual and endgame content. While I am thoroughly enjoying the game now, and will probably play at least one or two alts with the status quo, I can see getting tired of the game faster than I did WoW. Some of this is not SWTOR's fault. Frankly, I'm older now and have less disposable time. But standing on the shoulders of giants in the MMO world comes with the price of diminishing returns. We may not have seen this precise movie before, but the genre is familiar. Bioware adopted and in some ways improved on the right formula, but SWTOR's ultimate longevity will require additional substance with innovation beyond greater than average story elements/voice acting. Expand
  16. Dec 24, 2011
    Ignore the negative reviews, as they are almost exclusively written by fanboys of competing MMORPG games. Many of whom have not even actually played the game to any extent. It is also sadly ironic that many of their "reviews" feature comparisons to their MMORPG of choice, and an admission than SWTOR is a newer and superior MMORPG of the same genre, only to then dismiss it as a copy. I canIgnore the negative reviews, as they are almost exclusively written by fanboys of competing MMORPG games. Many of whom have not even actually played the game to any extent. It is also sadly ironic that many of their "reviews" feature comparisons to their MMORPG of choice, and an admission than SWTOR is a newer and superior MMORPG of the same genre, only to then dismiss it as a copy. I can see how someone who doesn't like MMOs or RPGs giving this game a mixed review, but a negative one? Hogwash!

The Old Republic is the MMORPG that puts the Role Playing Game back in the Massively Multiplayer Online. It's graphics are the best of any on the market today - as MMORPGs have unique challenges, having to tackle huge worlds with limited computing power. Something The Old Republic does beautifully, with it's stylized art direction. Sound Effects and Music are as we have come to expect from BioWare, top of the line.

As of launch, the gameplay itself, and the interface, is still a tad sluggish at times, and the game also lacks a much needed LFG (looking for group) function - which means you have to find groups manually by flagging yourself or going to the mission hangar. This is really the only drawback I have found to the game so far, as someone who has played MMORPGs since Sierra's The Realm, back in the mid 90s, and a 6 year veteran of WoW, and many others.

There are 10 million WoW players, 3 million Aion players, and more than a million RIFT players, who do not want you to play this game - and it is reflected in the user score versus the critic score. Accusations that critic scores are bought and paid for are merely a reflection on these users' opinions that theirs is the only one that matters.

Don't buy into it. Try The Old Republic for yourself. Chances are you won't be disappointed.
  17. Dec 25, 2011
    It is a great MMO, Like all of them it has it flaws. But as an MMO Gamer I can tell you it is well made. Graphics and animation are great. Quests are never boring, and you class quest is a well made out story. PVP is fun, I have never PVP'ed so much in an MMO since this game. Crafting is fun and easy to learn. It does require a little bit of streamlining though. Combat is fast and adds aIt is a great MMO, Like all of them it has it flaws. But as an MMO Gamer I can tell you it is well made. Graphics and animation are great. Quests are never boring, and you class quest is a well made out story. PVP is fun, I have never PVP'ed so much in an MMO since this game. Crafting is fun and easy to learn. It does require a little bit of streamlining though. Combat is fast and adds a few new mechanics especially in the healing area. If you are a Star Wars fans go get the game and enjoy it. If you don't like Star Wars you might not like it since it follows the traditional MMO gameplay. In the end I am Enjoying it and can not wait to see what the have in store for the future of the game. Expand
  18. Dec 27, 2011
    SWTOR, maybe not the best game ever, but still one of the smoothest games to be launched in the MMO sphere and one of the best balanced class vice. Even though the customization isn't RIFT, there is still good diversity in the different classes and talent trees, but still kept simple in what stats to use. I would say that this is easy the best success of MMO in a long time, giving both theSWTOR, maybe not the best game ever, but still one of the smoothest games to be launched in the MMO sphere and one of the best balanced class vice. Even though the customization isn't RIFT, there is still good diversity in the different classes and talent trees, but still kept simple in what stats to use. I would say that this is easy the best success of MMO in a long time, giving both the casual player the ability to play a singleplayer game with friends or have the MMO style play where you group up with PUG or friends from guilds. Given the long story lines and really nice scripted quests and scenes, this game will last for a singleplayer perspective a long time, and with the added bonus of such as legacy system, this will be giving players many hours of different gameplay to come. Expand
  19. Dec 30, 2011
    Gameplay:

I see a lot of reviews comparing this game to WoW. That is because it is: A. An MMORPG B. An MMORPG which features attacking enemies, finding items, and completing quests. For all the WoW fans who are distraught to see other people enjoying a game similar to their own, consider this: Star Wars: The Old Republic from Bioware closely resembles not only World of Warcraft, but
    Gameplay:

I see a lot of reviews comparing this game to WoW. That is because it is:

A. An MMORPG

Star Wars: The Old Republic from Bioware closely resembles not only World of Warcraft, but Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic...from Bioware.

When was KoToR released? 2003. It had a much more simplified version of the skills queue and combat exchange, but it was more or less similar. WoW was released in 2004. Are we to call it a KoToR clone? The skill tree always reminded me of the skill trees in Diablo II. Using the logic of some people we could call World of Warcraft a Diablo II clone. The fact is, that isn't true. Neither is the idea that ToR is a WoW clone. Now enough of the vs. crap. I think that most people who buy this game should expect an MMO and everything which comes with a major multiplayer RPG online. Some of the quests are mundane grinds. Some of the gameplay outside of the character story gets tired and old. Some of the combat and running all over the place gets tedious after a while. If you can't handle those things however you shouldn't criticize the game, you should simply try to get a refund and never attempt to play an MMO ever again.

Graphics/Technical:

The graphics snobs who write reviews always amuse me. I suppose if a game is released and it isn't automatically the industry standard for graphics and artistic styling, it is a massive failure of some sort. This game looks just fine to me. Is it over the top amazingly great looking? No. Does it look like a pathetic pile of crap? Hardly.

I've never played a game which rendered distances so well, or one which transitioned so well between zones. Sure there are a few launch hiccups here and there- sometimes I get lighting glitches where the screen has green rays on it for a second, then they go away. Oh no.

I wonder if the WoW fanboys recall the initial launch of that game the way I do. It was mired with its share of problems just like any massive game like this. I'm actually surprised that this game was released so relatively polished, considering how the recent (and when I say recent I mean the past 8 years) trend of game developers is to release a totally unfinished barely playable product and then slowly patch it over the course of a few months.

I'd also like to point out that while some are disappointed with the graphics as they are:

A. There have been games which have been released in the past which were so taxing and so optimized for the latest VGA technology, a huge chunk of the buyers couldn't play the game without major overhauls to their computer systems. ToR is a taxing enough game for an average system, but for the sake of earning the respect of graphics snobs, I suppose they should have made it more "pretty" so that .001 percent of the population would be able to actually play it.

B. I once again recall the launch of another popular MMO called World of Warcraft. I remember thinking at the time "man this game looks kind of crappy and cartoonish". I know I wasn't alone in that opinion. I feel that if a game has good enough gameplay however, the graphics aren't really all that important.

Final rating & explanation:

I give this game an 8/10. I hoped for more out of the gameplay as did many people. I was hoping that this would be a bit of a break from the KoToR/WoW mix that it feels like. I don't think I can fault it for not being a vague and abstract hope I carried, but I feel that it could have tried harder in a few places. I felt the grind feeling around level 14 or so and that hasn't happened to me in an RPG since I made the mistake of playing some crazy ass Korean RPG a few years ago.

The characters are fun, the gameplay is typical, but it is a formula which has proven to be fun or at least addicting enough to keep lots of people playing. The stories I've played through were entertaining as a Star Wars fan (hell I enjoyed this a lot more than those stupid prequels) and overall I would recommend this game to someone who is an MMO and Star Wars fan. If you're playing this game but you don't actually love Star Wars all that much I think it would be easier to find fault with it.
  20. Dec 30, 2011
    Do not listen to the trolls, they are not telling the truth. This game is refreshing and most of all FUN! Most people giving it a bad review are wow committed and just want people not to try it. I love the fact that you can listen to people talk and not have to read boring quest text. It has a nice built in quest tracker which is helpful. I am only level 11 but right away the powersDo not listen to the trolls, they are not telling the truth. This game is refreshing and most of all FUN! Most people giving it a bad review are wow committed and just want people not to try it. I love the fact that you can listen to people talk and not have to read boring quest text. It has a nice built in quest tracker which is helpful. I am only level 11 but right away the powers you have make you feel powerful. Expand
  21. Jan 2, 2012
    In one little simple addition SWTOR has taking the grind out of MMOs, "voice acting", this is a game changer for me, I've played mmo's for more than 10 years now and I can honestly say in all that time I have read less than 1% of quest text.Even a simple fetch quest the voice acting makes it feel less tedious and actually feels like your doing something important.Bioware made a greatIn one little simple addition SWTOR has taking the grind out of MMOs, "voice acting", this is a game changer for me, I've played mmo's for more than 10 years now and I can honestly say in all that time I have read less than 1% of quest text.Even a simple fetch quest the voice acting makes it feel less tedious and actually feels like your doing something important.Bioware made a great decision with this.There will be the players who like to race to end game will moan about this but I say to them.Slow down and enjoy the experience.There is so much to take on board in this beautifully crafted game. Here are some of the things they implemented Companions- can aid u on your journey when you don't have friends online to help you out. - they all look after all your crafting which for me personally I hated crafting and am really enjoying it in this game.

Space Combat - it's an on rails ship mini game for me,this is something added late on and I can see huge Improvements coming soon

Crafting. - best crafting system in any mmo I've played

My overall impression of this game is I think this game is it for the long
    Haul. Feels great and the most smooth launch of this type of game ever.

May the force be with you
  22. Jan 2, 2012
    Judging by the reviews here it seems that a lot of people tried to rate this game either the day it came out. Most of those 0s and 1s are WoW fanboys who probably feel threatened that there is another game out there to challenge their precious game. For the review; Stunning.. Well worth the 5+ years I waited for this game. The questing in this game is heads and shoulders above any otherJudging by the reviews here it seems that a lot of people tried to rate this game either the day it came out. Most of those 0s and 1s are WoW fanboys who probably feel threatened that there is another game out there to challenge their precious game. For the review; Stunning.. Well worth the 5+ years I waited for this game. The questing in this game is heads and shoulders above any other game out there. Leveling does not feel like a grind. Not to mention once you get off your second world when leveling (about level 15-18) and you get into the 3rd and 4th world the space really opens up and you feel like you are in the star wars world. Personally, I will be playing this game for years, and judging by how many people bought this game and pre-ordered it will be very successful. It broke all of WoWs records. Now all we need is to keep all those 10 year old fanboys out of this game and it would be perfect! Expand
  23. Jan 4, 2012
    Im going to say, simply, this game is amazing. I wanted to touch on what some of the WoW fanboys are trashing in regards to the game, having a lvl 35 sith warrior, and a lvl 42 bounty hunter. I saw one idiot (Thorn14) saying that the PvP warzone huttball should be a blank canvas but isnt due to the air jets in the middle area of the warzone. Hey, buddy, the person can be shot in theIm going to say, simply, this game is amazing. I wanted to touch on what some of the WoW fanboys are trashing in regards to the game, having a lvl 35 sith warrior, and a lvl 42 bounty hunter. I saw one idiot (Thorn14) saying that the PvP warzone huttball should be a blank canvas but isnt due to the air jets in the middle area of the warzone. Hey, buddy, the person can be shot in the totally wrong direction too!! Go figure that....
    Bunch of WoW fanboys are also complaining about the graphics of the game (MagusGrandios, especially.) Hey, genius-boys, the dev, BioWare MADE IT THAT WAY FOR A REASON. That was so that it didnt require you going out and spending $$$ on new computers or hardware in general to be able to run it! Fools!
    A bunch of WoW fanboys are **** and moaning about this being a 'carbon copy of World of Warcraft' (too many to name) This is a typical fanboy response when their game is threatened by a product heads and tails BETTER than their game. Pay them no heed. this game is virtually NOTHING like WoW, and I know because I've played it, too.

Those are just a few of the trollers. now that some of them are dealt with, Let me tell you from a true perspective (and yes, I have played MMORPG's for years) that the only major issue I have with SW:TOR is the fact that the republic doesnt have more interesting aliens to play. For all the fanboys of WoW again pissing and moaning their collective heads off about the Empire not having multiple races... THEY'RE THE EMPIRE!! THEY'RE A XENOPHOBIC SOCIETY THAT WOULDN'T LET THE ALIENS INTO ANY PART OF SOCIETY THAT MEANT A DAMN! WANNA PLAY A MMORPG WHERE YOU'RE A SLAVE?? DIDNT THINK SO!! Sorry, it just irks the hell outta me when I see obvious trolls trolling something so epic as SW:TOR. And let there be trolls to this post. It just proves my point.

Despite that slight issue, the graphics are workable on almost every system someone could have. (PC system obviously) The worlds are really well worked, with random convo's and people walking around giving it almost a feeling of past, present, and future in and about the main areas. The crafting was another stroke of genius. I played games where crafting was tedious boring work. BW made it so I can go on questing doing whatever I pleased and have my minions do the gathering, and crafting for me. Then when I have the item, I can choose to reverse engineer it to attempt to learn a better way to make the same item. Great work, BW. I am extremely pleased. In closing, BioWare came through strong with SW:TOR. As I said, trolls will try to do their best to troll a game that threatens theirs. But in all honesty, this is a game that you'd be crazy not to check out, especially if you're an MMORPG fan, as I am. Hope this review cleared up some of the trolls idiotic spewing. (now I need to get my brain bleached to try to get some of the retarded bile that they wrote out of my head)
  24. Jan 4, 2012
    Most fun I've had in an MMO since the ol' Ultima Online days.

Combat is weighty, crisp, filled with elaborate animation and aesthetics. Questing content is highly interactive and personal, also filled to the brim with good co-op mechanics missing in most modern MMOs. Meaty dungeons and elite areas. PvP is so-so, it has the potential to be really fun but there's some balance issues and
    Most fun I've had in an MMO since the ol' Ultima Online days.

PvP is so-so, it has the potential to be really fun but there's some balance issues and queue issues holding it back for me. Hopefully fixed over time.

WONDERFUL visuals and aesthetics again, let me stress that. It's so nice to have detail and cloth physics and elaborate armor in an MMO after so long. Very easy to make attractive characters, for those who only want to make fat people and space boogey men: Oh well, boohoo for you.

In the end, I actually think it's a fairly so-so MMO (but there are aprox ZERO good true MMOs on the market currently), but as a good co-op KOTOR like, it's very engaging, very detailed, very fun.
  25. Jan 5, 2012
    Really the best mmo I've played in a long time! Its the only mmo to date that is able to give me the fun i had when i was playing Starwars Galaxies before the famous "NGE" downgrade. Even if it don't have the same gameplay depth (i don't think i will ever see that again before a long time in a mmo, sadly...), the depth of the story really compensate that (at least while I'm doing it...)!
  26. Jan 7, 2012
    Top notch MMO, the culmination of the last 10 years of the genre with the addition of fully voiced branching path storylines and quests. Impossible to go back to any other MMO and the lame quest text boxes after playing SW:TOR. Multiple characters over level 30 (one 50) and still cannot get enough. The bugs will be ironed out, and already new content is up on the test server.
  27. rps
    Jan 10, 2012
    Attention trolls, your orcs and trolls have had their heads cut off by a light saber, and jealousy is not healthy. This game is the new king of MMO's, and will be for the forseeable future. You can't beat the force, you can only join it.
  28. Jan 9, 2012
    SW:TOR is firmly at the top of my MMO list at this point. It's been called WoW with Lightsabers - while that's not entirely inaccurate, it's also entirely missing the point. It does what WoW did 7 years ago - takes the tropes, and makes them fun again.

Bioware stresses the story a lot, and with good reason. People saying it's just a voiced MMO are, again, missing out. The voiced storylines mean that, for the majority of the quests, you're actually paying attention to what's going on. Your class story is involved and interesting, with a few truly awesome moments. And, more than any other game, the characters are *characters.* The moral choices, and just general dialogue options (which should be more than familiar to anyone that's played a Bioware game) mean that people are actually developing an attachment to their character. Rather than "fire focused mage" a player is a "smuggler who does it for the money, but won't hurt women or children" or "a jedi knight who does what has to be done, regardless of light side/dark side." Even casual players end up considering key choices when they might simply have hit "complete" in another game.

To me, this is precisely what I imagined when someone said "KOTOR + MMO", with all that entails. It's not MMO 2.0, but it may well be the first mainstream MMO*RPG*.
  29. Jan 19, 2012
    Don't listen to the "Experienced" "Critics" giving their low-ball ratings. This is the best MMO I have ever played. I really enjoy the story driven aspect. The game has a lot of potential for growth and a nice smooth launch. Is it perfect? Not at all, but when I played it I constantly think cool, awesome, or fun. Seems like that is the point of a video game after all. So far they haveDon't listen to the "Experienced" "Critics" giving their low-ball ratings. This is the best MMO I have ever played. I really enjoy the story driven aspect. The game has a lot of potential for growth and a nice smooth launch. Is it perfect? Not at all, but when I played it I constantly think cool, awesome, or fun. Seems like that is the point of a video game after all. So far they have already released patch 1.1 and I am confident the game will continue to improve. Expand
  30. Jan 23, 2012
    Reactions to this game seem to vary wildly, but BioWare has crafted a very enjoyable game. The storylines are engaging, space battles are fun (despite the complaints about being on rails), and the flashpoints are more engaging than nearly any other game with group instances I have played.
    As a single-player rpg, this game is very reminescent of Knights of the Old Republic I and II. It is easy to play this game solo from 1-50. However, if you enjoy grouping up, there are plenty of opportunities to do so; aside from flashpoints and operations (Raids), many planets have daily, repeatable heroics for groups of 2-4, providing upgraded item rewards and harder groups of enemies.
    Crafting is the most enjoyable of any mmo I have played. Rather than make you spend hours and hours in a capital city, dragging out mats and crafting items one by one, you are able to send companions (as you level, the number you can send off to craft grows) on various missions which provide crafting rewards as well as have a companion craft the actual tradeskill items for use.
    People decrying the heavy instancing of this game must be forgetting a very common complaint among mmos: camping specialty mobs. In this game, the instancing (planets are instanced to thin out the number of people with whom you compete for quest objectives) is heavy, but the only negative that results here is that you see far fewer people as you are out in the world than you might in another MMO. However, it's easy to review how many people are on your planet and find players with whom to cooperate if you need (and switching planet instances is as easy as two clicks). Instancing many of the quest objective areas also has the added effect of making YOU the hero of your story. If you're going after the Imperial General, whose defeat will ensure the Republic's victory on a planet, it makes you feel like the actual champion if you don't have to wait in line for 6 others to kill him first.

This game is definitely not for everyone. Many people enjoy an open world, with a rather unrestricted ability to do what you want. Other people might enjoy a game that guides you a bit, provides some intriguing storylines (indeed, I've played many an MMO I eventually dropped because, aside from trying to roleplay my own story, there was nothing inherent in the game to grab on), and definitely makes that "kill 10 womp rats" questline more enjoyable than your run-of-the-mill MMO.
  31. Jan 22, 2012
    Stop listening to the whining and WoW fanboys freaking out that there is a real contender out there. SWTOR if FUN and the story is AMAZING for every character you create. You get attached to your character like you should in an RPG. There is so much that you invest INTO your character that you really do feel like you're part of something and not just some random guy running around in aStop listening to the whining and WoW fanboys freaking out that there is a real contender out there. SWTOR if FUN and the story is AMAZING for every character you create. You get attached to your character like you should in an RPG. There is so much that you invest INTO your character that you really do feel like you're part of something and not just some random guy running around in a world that will go on without you. If you want a fantastic BioWare RPG that is also online, or, if you played KOTOR and enjoyed it. This is the game for you. May The Force Be With You. Expand
  32. Feb 1, 2012
    So far, gameplay is fantastic. The storylines are great, grouping with others while completing them makes it that much better. The endgame I have participated in so far has been a ton of fun. The client is stable, and although there are a few bugs, Bioware has been pretty steadily attacking them. This game is only going to get better. The main complaints I have seen have been from peopleSo far, gameplay is fantastic. The storylines are great, grouping with others while completing them makes it that much better. The endgame I have participated in so far has been a ton of fun. The client is stable, and although there are a few bugs, Bioware has been pretty steadily attacking them. This game is only going to get better. The main complaints I have seen have been from people solely focused on PvP or people looking for a game with an economy that is fully developed (which is impossible to have in a game that has been out 5 weeks)

If you are looking for an MMO that has a different gameplay style than other MMO's, well, you won't find it here. If you love story, love Star Wars, and love MMO's, then you will enjoy SWTOR.
  33. Feb 2, 2012
    In spite of the fact that I belong to the Homo Misanthropus sub-species, I am generally not a fan of MMORPGS. Some anti-social people find it easier to open up online but I find that it is easier to deal with a lonely, anxious, introverted person face to face than a similar person whose online anonymity has gifted him with zero inhibition, inevitably leading to the unveiling of 15 yearsIn spite of the fact that I belong to the Homo Misanthropus sub-species, I am generally not a fan of MMORPGS. Some anti-social people find it easier to open up online but I find that it is easier to deal with a lonely, anxious, introverted person face to face than a similar person whose online anonymity has gifted him with zero inhibition, inevitably leading to the unveiling of 15 years worth of ridicule and sexual frustration blossoming into a perfect **** storm of **** For instance, in my case, the act of speaking with another human being is brought to a frenzied but rigorously polite dance of anxious madness due to the fact that I am shy and unable to break the colloquial barriers that plague my kind. This leaves little reason for me to vent my frustrations on others as the origin of the fault is obviously my own. As for "the others", the fault is only obviously their own to everyone else. To them, the problem is external --the world is out to get them and they create a hierarchy of self wherein their misery must become a communal one. For these homuculi of the conscious self, the only thing keeping them from being a douche in person is the recognition of the inevitable possibility that the person with whom they are speaking may be pushed into a causal chain that ends in their [the douche] being crippled. Since about a quarter of the people I have ever interacted with in online RPG's fall under the latter classicication, I avoid them like the plague as they leave me pondering things like: "why are they here" as opposed to the more productive "why am I here".

As such, I absolutely LOVE THIS GAME!!! I finally get to have one of my beloved Bioware single player RPG'S share some of the only qualities of online RPG's that I find desirable such as ever expanding content, appropriate vastness of environment, and the occasional option to share the experience with friends (well of course I have friends...what? did you think I was an **** or something?). I adored the first two games in this series (especially the 2nd but only with the extra content. Otherwise the ending feels like a breezy summer morning stiffy followed by a close encounter with the Lorena Bobbitt kind) and the writing here rivals almost anything I came across in either of those games. The plot may be linear, but let's face it, every other Bioware narrative is just as linear but they put more effort into masking the fact with the clever illusion of openness. In conclusion I will say only this: if you find that you can relate to any of what has been said, you should probably buy this game...but don't try to add me to your group or anything. The evolutionary needs of this primate are accounted for.
  34. Feb 8, 2012
    Game is awesome. Anyone else is either trolling or NEVER played it. The Story is captivating. This game is just like Star wars: knights of the old republic, I found my self wishing I could save so I could see both options panning out.
  35. Mar 2, 2012
    Some of the negative reviews are quite frankly outright lies. Most likely fanboys of That Other Game. Anyways, this is the MMO we gamers have been waiting for. The graphics are quite good, far better than WoW without hindering performance. The voice acting is top notch, so I actually stop to listen to the quest, unlike other games where I ignore the wall of text and just click "accept".Some of the negative reviews are quite frankly outright lies. Most likely fanboys of That Other Game. Anyways, this is the MMO we gamers have been waiting for. The graphics are quite good, far better than WoW without hindering performance. The voice acting is top notch, so I actually stop to listen to the quest, unlike other games where I ignore the wall of text and just click "accept". Story is the key, bread and butter, whatever you want to call it for SWTOR. Every class as a storyline consisting of a prologue and 3 chapters, starting at level 1 and ending at 50. Each planet has a main storyline with many having a Bonus Series for when you gain higher levels. These Bonus Series are not rehashing existing areas or quests, but takes you to new areas on the planet you visited at a previous time. Once you get your ship, you have optional Space Missions (with dailies) you can do if you want a change of pace from questing. The companions are more than just "pets" as they can fill various roles and each have their own personalities (with quest lines). Example of this is we lost our healer to a disconnect during a flashpoint, but we used a healer companion and finished the flashpoint (instance). Boss fights are more than just "don't stand in the fire, Tank n Spank". One flashpoint actually doesn't have bosses (cept 1 at the end). The game is rich in lore for those that played Knights of the Old Republic, but for those that didn't you still can enjoy all the lore regardless. Explorer types can be rewarded by finding datacrons scattered on every planet, each granting a permanent bonus. Whenever you find a key location, datacron or kill a new beast for the 1st time you unlock a codex entry granting you xp and a lore entry.

PvP'ers will be happy with the warzones as they offer experience, credits and bonus depending on how you perform. Do better in PvP you get more rewards at the end of the match. Plus PvP items can be acquired as early as 20 and can be vendored if you no longer want them. No more outgrown items gathering dust in your banks! A lot of the gear is customazable, so that the days of wearing some ugly item just because of the stats are gone. As you level up just put in higher modifications and the armor/damage of the items scales up. Yes this also includes lightsaber and blaster bolt colors as well.

Crafting does not require you stand in front of a table making X bracers for an hour to skill up. Simply send out companions on crew skill tasks to gather mats or craft for you while you continue... whatever you want to continue. You can gather in the field if you run across mats, but it's a nice option that if you are missing a specific mat, you can simply send a crewman out and (after a time delay) you get your mats.

A fantastic game that you must play to believe. One of the rare times that a game has actually lived up to the hype.
  36. Mar 11, 2012
    The next king of the MMO! Before I play this game, I was determined to never play a game with a monthly subscription . My friend give me a 7 days trial period and i've played 12 hours each day of the week.. This MMO takes the best of WoW with new feature and beautiful environment to make a game almost perfect! The game have a lot of dialogue and quests! I recommend it !
  37. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is just fu**** amazing pal, i'm seriously brotha. This game is perfect i play this when i get sick from the WoW. And man i gotta say in my opnion this game is so epic and perfect can i even describe the feel to play as a Sith and a Bounty Hunter, for example. Made your choices betwen Dark Side/Light Side, Companion approves or desagrement. Flirt, Kill, Torture, PvP, Warzones,This game is just fu**** amazing pal, i'm seriously brotha. This game is perfect i play this when i get sick from the WoW. And man i gotta say in my opnion this game is so epic and perfect can i even describe the feel to play as a Sith and a Bounty Hunter, for example. Made your choices betwen Dark Side/Light Side, Companion approves or desagrement. Flirt, Kill, Torture, PvP, Warzones, Duels, A really nice AI, an amazing balancing, Missions u praticaly just can finish with a group, Social and interactive dialogues from cutscenes with another players. I mean, man this game is epic and perfect, that's it. Expand
  38. Mar 28, 2012
    I'm clearly in the "Whoa, this is AWESOME" camp. I guess I'm biased, I haven't really been far down the MMO path before. I've tried a couple, WoW being one of them. Played it a bit, didn't get hooked. This game, however, I tried for the first time on the Free Trial weekend and it took me about an hour to get the whole shebang figured out and I'm completely enthralled, hook, line andI'm clearly in the "Whoa, this is AWESOME" camp. I guess I'm biased, I haven't really been far down the MMO path before. I've tried a couple, WoW being one of them. Played it a bit, didn't get hooked. This game, however, I tried for the first time on the Free Trial weekend and it took me about an hour to get the whole shebang figured out and I'm completely enthralled, hook, line and sinker! I was more than happy to fork out the cash for the game and can envision playing this for months on end. I've seen endless pages of criticism about SWTOR, but come on, it's a great game, it lures in newbs (like myself) and provides them with a fascinating look at Star Wars in a whole new way. I loved the old single player games like Knights of the Old Republic, so I guess it makes sense that I'll love this as well. For the seasoned MMO'ers there will always be something to b*tch and moan about... fickle bunch that they are. Stop feeling so damn entitled people and be thankful for what you have.

Love this game, love the action, love the storytelling and love the interaction with fellow gamers and fellow Star Wars fans. Good job, Bioware.
  39. May 31, 2012
    This is definitely my favorite computer game by far. The story classes i 've played so far have been very enthralling and fun; and I couldn't ask for a better combat system in an mmo. Oh and if you have a computer that can handle The Old Republic on the highest setting then I strongly recommend doing so.
  40. Aug 24, 2012
    I have played all major western MMOs since Asheron's Call (even had my hand on Meridian and UO before that). And SWTOR is one great game.... or so it was, until you got to the endgame.
    The endgame was too lacking, too easy (when not bugging) and a bit too many bugs.
    Now some of the bugs are gone, but still the game lacks endgame. The Game is GREAT when it comes to smooth and great

Now some of the bugs are gone, but still the game lacks endgame.

The Game is GREAT when it comes to smooth and great storylines for all except 2 of the classes. The last two classes had decent one IMHO.

If you're looking for a game to start up with, and like Star Wars, now that most of the bugs are gone, its a great game to play.
  41. Nov 25, 2012
    This is a great game. I've been playing since the beginning and I'm still a subscriber. This game is for people who like to play games like World of Warcraft or Everquest 2 and are also fans of Star Wars or like the general theme of Star Wars. Most of the bad reviews come from either "Knights of the Old Republic" or "Star Wars Galaxies" fans. I understand perfectly why they don't like "TheThis is a great game. I've been playing since the beginning and I'm still a subscriber. This game is for people who like to play games like World of Warcraft or Everquest 2 and are also fans of Star Wars or like the general theme of Star Wars. Most of the bad reviews come from either "Knights of the Old Republic" or "Star Wars Galaxies" fans. I understand perfectly why they don't like "The Old Republic", it's not the same game as either of those two games. So my question is, why are they reviewing this game? I don't enjoy Star Wars movies. They don't interest me. Because of that, I don't think I have a valid opinion and don't review Star Wars movies. The bad reviews of this game come from people telling how it's not like KOTOR or SWG. Which was never the point. It's an MMORPG that takes place in the same timeline as KOTOR. And if they think remaking SWG was the way to go, they're wrong. SWG never saw anywhere near 1000000 subs and barely sold 1000000 copies. The Old Republic had a rough start, but sold 2 million copies in the first couple months. They started off with way too many servers, which alienated users. There was no good system to find people to group up for flash points. You couldn't edit the UI. They've fixed a lot of those problems. There are less servers and they are packed. They now have a random flashpoint/operation/group quest queue system. The UI can be completely customized, although there is no addons/mods for it. This game is a lot like WoW, as far as game play. The way the stories in the game are told are completely different. I think SWToR does a much better job. The story is probably SWToR's best feature. It makes leveling up not such a grind. One thing that bothers me is both fleets republic/sith look exactly the same. I don't care if the lore states they had the same contractors, that's just plain cheap. In most cases I would recommend reading a negative reviews to get a better picture of how a game is. This is not the case with this game. The people who give this game a bad review either want a completely different game or have never played an MMORPG. Expand
  42. Dec 19, 2012
    The voice acting is marvelous and like nothing ever done in MMOs before, It's the type of thing that's bound to influence the genre (and it has). Great game! I think at its current state it has soooo much potential but it's up to EA/Bioware to make it happen. It's a very game as is and I think it can get way better. Truly one of the better MMOs in recent times.
  43. Jan 8, 2013
    I haven't reached the level cap yet, but so far this game IS living up to the hype. I actually find myself listening to the person/droid giving me a quest, (or mission if you want to be pedantic about it). The cut scenes are welcomed and the story line for the two types of characters I'm playing are entertaining. The very small gripes I have about the game are minuscule compared to theI haven't reached the level cap yet, but so far this game IS living up to the hype. I actually find myself listening to the person/droid giving me a quest, (or mission if you want to be pedantic about it). The cut scenes are welcomed and the story line for the two types of characters I'm playing are entertaining. The very small gripes I have about the game are minuscule compared to the overall value of the now "free to play", experience. I'll admit that some of the character models are a wonky and somewhat cartoonish, but that sensation is easily forgotten as one becomes further immersed in the story line and game play. I would also like to see Bioware/EA open up the source for add-ons, but this is far from a deal breaker. If you have the hard drive space and the patience for the very large download, it is well worth your time and energy. Expand
  44. May 11, 2013
    I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying playing through SWTOR with a friend at the moment. Having not really played an MMO before own GW2 but didn't enjoy it) this has certainly made me see that MMO's are well worth the time if they are any good. I believe that to get the most out of this game you will want to play through it with a friend. I also must agree with a fellow reviewer whoI have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying playing through SWTOR with a friend at the moment. Having not really played an MMO before own GW2 but didn't enjoy it) this has certainly made me see that MMO's are well worth the time if they are any good. I believe that to get the most out of this game you will want to play through it with a friend. I also must agree with a fellow reviewer who mentioned that a lot of the low score reviewers will not have played much of the game, I agree with this because MMO's in general, you usually have to get to higher levels to get the most fun out of them. Once you get to level 10 the game becomes a blast. Would recommend this game to MMO fan, Star Wars fan or anybody who just wants to feel badass. Expand
  45. Oct 1, 2014
    This game has a rough start that is for sure but they have fixed most of those issues and added so many cool new things since its release it is like a totally different game since it launched. If you was around for the start of the game and hated it then I beg you to give it another try.
  46. Mar 11, 2014
    its a lot better than it used to be it has a lot more content there's more flashpoints and operations plus the story is grand . i recamend playing it now
  47. Jul 17, 2014
    Second best Star Wars gaming franchise made! All story lines are AWESOME! some take a while to get into them but others straight into them and never lose interest!!!!
  48. Dec 26, 2011
    I honnesty don't know what other users expected, giving so low scores to this game. They use such arguments, that to me, they lose all credibility. Personally, I'm enjoying SWTOR very much. Yes, it has "kill x" quests, even those are optional objectives. Yes, it is not that diferent from WoW's gameplay. Yes, the classes are imbalanced. And yes, it's missing some stuff that we took forI honnesty don't know what other users expected, giving so low scores to this game. They use such arguments, that to me, they lose all credibility. Personally, I'm enjoying SWTOR very much. Yes, it has "kill x" quests, even those are optional objectives. Yes, it is not that diferent from WoW's gameplay. Yes, the classes are imbalanced. And yes, it's missing some stuff that we took for granted (like the dungeon finder). But guys, we're talking about an MMO. Tell me one MMO that had all the stuff that you wanted on launch day? I'm killing x number of guys, because I want to kill x number of guys. It's an MMO, a genre which I enjoyed since the first day I started playing WoW. I don't know what all the critics were looking for, really, but to me, they just seem to be trolling a good game, which is having some deserved sucess. What do you want, guys? Let's all just love low cost indie games that no one is going to play for months? Now, the game. Like I told you, yes, it has all those MMOs "must have". But so far, having played the beta and the game, I find it very stable (contrary to some reviews who find it very buggy, of some ppl who must have only played the beta, imo). Besides the graphical glitches, I never had a single dc, and was only stuck once. The combat gameplay is mostly WoW's, with a Star Wars skin. I like it, like millions of players seem to throughout the world. You have the "tank/healer/dps" trinity, but you're not so limited in terms of classes to play if you want to fulfill one of those roles. Not going to talk much about the classes, except that once you reach lvl 10, you chose one "advanced class", that being the one you're "stuck" to for the rest of the game (for instance, if you pick a Jedi Knight, once you reach lvl 10, you must be a Jedi Guardian or a Jedi Sentinel). Each of those advanced classes have 3 talent trees to pick from, like vanilla WoW. Since I consider most of the factions classes to mirror each other's gameplay (like Smugler=Sith Agent, for instance), I do consider the game to have 8 classes/gameplay types to play (the 2 advanced from the 4 original classes). The voice acting IS amazing. One of the best I've seen in years. The quests and flashpoints sometimes have some unpredictable outcome. For instance (not a spoiler), I was really amazed when a "good guy" wanted to sacrifice some of his team to get on with the quest, despite having another way to go. This game really makes you make some choices, and unlike a rpg, you can't "load back" if you regret your decision. There is really a sense of binding to your character, imo. I gave the game a 9 so far. Because of the potencial I see in it, and the fun I'm having so far. The game does deserve to be apreciated for what it is, not to be trolled just because it's a million dollar game that doesn't change the world. It's an MMO. A revolution on that genre. And, having been playing WoW for over 6 years now, I'm loving SWTOR, and I recomend it to any gamer who's not "picky", and with an open mind. If you loved KOTOR, &/or Mass Effect &/or WoW, you're gonna love it. Expand
  49. Oct 9, 2014
    Best, I love it, Star Wars forever with lot of people.
    I don't agree with the haters. This is a very good game with epic and beautiful story.
  50. Dec 21, 2011
    I've played this game since August in BETA and was blown away at first. While the graphics are stylized, they can be breathtaking, just looking out over a city I had just visited on top of a cliff, well it can be staggering, the music, well that's fantastic too. You really have 8 single player story lines here as all the different classes have individual class stories, but really thereI've played this game since August in BETA and was blown away at first. While the graphics are stylized, they can be breathtaking, just looking out over a city I had just visited on top of a cliff, well it can be staggering, the music, well that's fantastic too. You really have 8 single player story lines here as all the different classes have individual class stories, but really there are 2 totally different games; Empire and Republic.

It's standard MMO game play, coming from SWG the interface is nice and easy. The fighting, well you seem to be executing the moves in real-time, unless you look too deep into the system, so it's tight and fun. The quests are on another level to anything I've played before, yes it's all standard kill things, collect things etc.. but it's done in a meaningful way. The story grips, you as the voice acting and animation of the storylines is fantastic. There are lots of twists to the plot and it plays like an interactive movie, really beyond any other game I've played.

I started Beta as a Sith Warrior, I didn't care to play this at live, so not spoiling the experience, well I quickly started enjoying being an evil so and so. After a while you unlock your companion (and get five more along the way). They are suited to what your character needs most, a healer, a tank or dps. They really are great in combat and have been written with fantastic dialogue. My first companion was Vette, very similar to Mission from KOTOR in many ways ;) You can have a lot of fun with Vette if you're evil but it came to a point where I didn't want to disapoint her, she changed my playstyle. Each companion earns affection by the choices you make and have their own stories, quests etc.. it's all very well done but what did you expect from Bioware. If you're in to a bit of Bioware romance, you can romance your companions and several NPC's. In particular the Jedi and Sith Warriors go around the galaxy getting more action than Kirk!

Is it an MMO? Well there are plenty of people to meet if you want to, you can also just play by yourself and group up for the heroics and flashpoints. Really suits my casual, dip into to MMO but still have freedom to do my own thing.

I always said I would tire of playing when the story lines ran out, well five months on I'm playing Sith Warrior for the second time and still having a blast. You can play the game so many different ways and while your actions don't have vast consequences if you look very deeply, they do seem to. You can play several quest by fihgting or you can negotiate your way out of many a fight if you want to.
    bugs, well I haven't seen too many since August.. it's very polished, yes they are there but nothing that will get in your way.

If you love Bioware and Kotor, give it a try. I guarantee you will enjoy no matter what your playstyle is. You may not be into the MMO thing but you can play it as a single player game for a month and take it from there.

There really isn't anything more fun than fighting a mob on top of a cliff or bridge somewhere like Alderaan. You're running low on health and suddenly the cooldown on your force choke or force push comes back in to play... pick the baddie up by the throat with force choke, then force push him over the bridge to his death....
  51. Jan 8, 2012
    The game doesn't revolutionnize anything.. But it does a great job at doing everything right. Keep hearing people saying this is not an MMO.. Those people haven't bothered trying to play the game with others, it's a blast !

A great game all around !
  52. Jan 12, 2012
    Unfortunately in this day and age anyone can review anything with no consequences for biased and/or subjective perspectives. First of all comparisons to other games is subjective at best, it is not something bad to design with proven successful mechanics, many games have similar qualities and that fact in no way affects the quality unless bad mechanics are implemented. You would ridiculeUnfortunately in this day and age anyone can review anything with no consequences for biased and/or subjective perspectives. First of all comparisons to other games is subjective at best, it is not something bad to design with proven successful mechanics, many games have similar qualities and that fact in no way affects the quality unless bad mechanics are implemented. You would ridicule an individual that that says all cars built after Ford are "clones" and not worthy on their own just because another company decided to use four wheels and and a circular steering wheel. A good design is a good design, period. So down-rating this game due to that is extremely bias and subjective. The game has delivered what it promised, just because it is not someones cup of tea does not make it bad. I really like the story and I think it is well written, the dialogue is well spoken and I feel that it made the process of leveling a character all the more interesting. This is an MMO, yes an MMO by definition, and not a glorified single player game. This is not a sandbox game and this fact is clearly upsetting some because SWG was shut down, but it is not fair again to down-rate this title for that because it never was intended to be one. Yes the game has a few flaws such as bugged quests yet there is nothing that can't be patched out in the future. Nothing to break the game or make it unplayable, complaints often aired by individuals on the official forums regarding performance issues are made by individuals either unable to configure a PC properly or attempting to run the game on under powered hardware. I have personally installed the game on three different computers including a laptop and have had zero problems. I will continue to play and recommend this game to others, it's bound only to get better with time. Expand
  53. Dec 20, 2011
    I've played many MMOs: WoW, DDO, LOTRO, Star Trek, Champions Online, EVE, etc. I spent several years playing WoW. This, by far, is one of the best MMOs I have played. It's is incredibly immersive. The story-lines pull you in and keep you wanting more. The combat is smooth, active and enjoyable. This is the Star Wars RPG I have always wanted. Like any good MMO developer, Bioware has triedI've played many MMOs: WoW, DDO, LOTRO, Star Trek, Champions Online, EVE, etc. I spent several years playing WoW. This, by far, is one of the best MMOs I have played. It's is incredibly immersive. The story-lines pull you in and keep you wanting more. The combat is smooth, active and enjoyable. This is the Star Wars RPG I have always wanted. Like any good MMO developer, Bioware has tried to implement some of the best features and elements of any MMO. The comparisons to WoW are only surface deep. Anyone claiming it is "WoW with lightsabers" has not spent any significant time with either product. Expand
  54. Dec 22, 2011
    Speaking of Bioware... I loved BG 1 and 2, I loved KOTOR, I loved both ME games, I liked DA:O very much, I was bored to death with DA2. And I'm in love again with TOR. Thank you Bioware :)
  55. Dec 21, 2011
    Don't trust user reviews anymore, MW3 is a fun game and delivers exactly what's its fans want, yet it got a bad user score. I love Kotor, but Tor is better.
  56. Dec 29, 2011
    Awesome game! Whilst some aspects may be familar to MMO veterans (which isn't that suprising...it hasn't invented its own genre) the fact that each class has its own well written, immersive, and fully voiced story is where this game's innovation lies. I'm becoming slowly more and more addicted to this game, and have more or less stopped playing anything else despite the awesome games thatAwesome game! Whilst some aspects may be familar to MMO veterans (which isn't that suprising...it hasn't invented its own genre) the fact that each class has its own well written, immersive, and fully voiced story is where this game's innovation lies. I'm becoming slowly more and more addicted to this game, and have more or less stopped playing anything else despite the awesome games that are out right now!

If you liked KOTOR or Dragon age you will probably also like this. It's basically a modernised KOTOR that you share with friends and other people on the internet.
  57. Dec 22, 2011
    I love the storylines, I love the setting, and I'm a huge fan of the way the game immerses you. If anything, it just seems like it took some of the best stuff the KOTOR games had to offer, and added some MMO functionality onto it. If anything, the MMO parts are its weak points. Thankfully, the option of playing it as a single-player game, with only the multiplayer you want to deal with,I love the storylines, I love the setting, and I'm a huge fan of the way the game immerses you. If anything, it just seems like it took some of the best stuff the KOTOR games had to offer, and added some MMO functionality onto it. If anything, the MMO parts are its weak points. Thankfully, the option of playing it as a single-player game, with only the multiplayer you want to deal with, makes it worth playing. Expand
  58. Jan 12, 2012
    A highly enjoyable experience so far. Look forward so seeing what they'll add in future updates especially for guilds. The spaceship missions are rather fun mini-games too.
  59. Dec 23, 2011
    This is the first MMO that I've actually played for an extended amount of time, and I have to say I'm pretty amazed with it. There is such a vast universe that Bioware has created. And when you're done exploring this universe, there is a grossly enriching story to get involved in. There are plenty of quests that you can do as a group with other players. There are also quests you can doThis is the first MMO that I've actually played for an extended amount of time, and I have to say I'm pretty amazed with it. There is such a vast universe that Bioware has created. And when you're done exploring this universe, there is a grossly enriching story to get involved in. There are plenty of quests that you can do as a group with other players. There are also quests you can do by yourself so I think there is a great balance. Good job Bioware! Expand
  60. Dec 21, 2011
    I've played many MMO's, like WoW, EQ2, Rift, SWG, and many others as well as Bioware's earlier games like KOTOR, DA and ME. One thing I've found in the MMO world is there's no innovation, it's always just more of the same. And that stagnation not only makes games your playing get boring faster, but makes new games in that genre just seem like more of the same.

Bioware has broken from the

Bioware has broken from the redundant norm, and has made something brilliant. They've made a MMO with incredible immersion, depth and the richest story lines of any game I've ever played. It's different & all gamers know trolls can't handle change. For some reason anything different then the same old daily grind creates such a case of nerd rage in trolls their emotions literally explode all over the internet's related forums, like many posts we have seen here.

If it's to different for you, don't play it. But don't make crap up and lie just to try and make other people hate what your incapable of understanding by creating dozens of accounts to spam your bile so you can pretend others think like you. Just have your say, and move on.
  61. Dec 20, 2011
    I am 22 lvl and didn`t skip any quests at all, I have to do them becouse voice acting, world design, combat animation, story telling made this expieriens much more interestning. There is bugs here and there, but after all I will think twice before buying a copy of GW2. Think I became a Star Wars fan. Haters are gonna hate.
  62. Dec 20, 2011
    I can only base a review on my own experience, to all those having issues I can understand the low scores and frustration but I haven't had any issues, quite the opposite.

I am loving this game, I am almost a level 30 Jedi guardian and can't believe how good the story is, I can confidently say this is the first MMO where I haven't skipped the text to just get to objective, it makes you care about the characters, story and goal's and that's something this genre has been lacking. The gameplay's not going to set the world on fire but there's nothing wrong with it, it works. MMO's are constantly evolving and I'm sure the balancing and general issue's will be worked out quick enough but my Jedi Guardian is fun to control, I never find myself just hitting something with a lightsaber until its dead, (After the first few starter worlds) It get's challenging and I find myself having to use cooldown's, shields and the force to defeat enemies.

Crafting in this game is a strong selling point, it's got a lottery feeling about it, there's the chance of getting a "Rare" that you can actually use and make's crafting like spinning a roulette wheel.

All in all ill be subscribing and hope enough other people do to keep this game going.
  63. Dec 20, 2011
    This is one of the best MMO out there. Yes it does need work but people are comparing this to wow. This is not wow. This is bioware... They have awesome cutscene. and game play is unbelievable detail. I've been both in beta and now enjoying the finished product. I see a lot of people rating this game low... Aka most are wow players or elistest. Starwars the old republic and otherThis is one of the best MMO out there. Yes it does need work but people are comparing this to wow. This is not wow. This is bioware... They have awesome cutscene. and game play is unbelievable detail. I've been both in beta and now enjoying the finished product. I see a lot of people rating this game low... Aka most are wow players or elistest. Starwars the old republic and other starwars game are all about the community and fan base. Bioware is a developer who has reached the high level. Yes every company has there flaws but I'm giving this game a 10. Expand
  64. Dec 20, 2011
    I participated in a couple beta test weekends and the early access; fortunately I have had no issues with queues or lag or anything whatsoever except your occasional bug. Its launch day and all I see on the forums are aggressive comments and hateful reviews; which I say are horribly exaggerated. Compared to other MMO's launched SWTOR has been a smoother experience. I enjoy the gameplay andI participated in a couple beta test weekends and the early access; fortunately I have had no issues with queues or lag or anything whatsoever except your occasional bug. Its launch day and all I see on the forums are aggressive comments and hateful reviews; which I say are horribly exaggerated. Compared to other MMO's launched SWTOR has been a smoother experience. I enjoy the gameplay and I have always loved the Star Wars franchise. Bioware's take on the Star Wars universe has brought renewed life to the franchise and if we are all patient and 'real' fans the game will get better. I rate the game at 10 to oppose the low scores that I see here and other sites cause those are biased opinions made out of the spirit of the moment. I like the story, I like the dialogues, I like the operations& flashpoints,space combat is not that thrilling but maybe they will change that, pvp and Huttball, loads of content ( what else do you want from an MMO if you dont like the franchise then play something else dont **** about it after only playing a couple hours....). I will be playing for the months to follow to be sure even just to play every character to see the story to the end. Go Bioware and Lucasarts! and yes I also love Blizzard but it doesnt mean we cant share the LUV! Expand
  65. Dec 20, 2011
    I made this account for the sole purpose of reviewing this game. It is such an amazing product by bioware, who have a near flawless track record (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). Many people expect this to be just like WoW, but it is not. There are so many things right with this game, it's unbelievable. First, the biggest thing about this game is the way it immerses you, unlike manyI made this account for the sole purpose of reviewing this game. It is such an amazing product by bioware, who have a near flawless track record (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). Many people expect this to be just like WoW, but it is not. There are so many things right with this game, it's unbelievable. First, the biggest thing about this game is the way it immerses you, unlike many other MMOs. Because of the - you guessed it - voice acting, it feels like you are playing a single player game, but with friends. The people who are giving this game poor reviews most likely are the ones that hate change. Trust me, this is a game not to be missed. Expand
  66. Dec 22, 2011
    Bioware has set a new standart.
    In my humble opinion BioWare managed as the first company to create a real mmoRPG.
    Bioware has set a new standart.
    The story telling elements inside are so huge and well done, that you realy feel like being in the world of StarWars in the age of Kotor. You don't feel like being dragged and led through quest hubs to level, you don't feel the "burdon" of leveling itself, it just flows through naturaly due to the great storyline, individualy designed by your choices (light side/dark side, class, good/bad decisions). This system leads to an interesting character development besides getting new skills and skillpoints to better your skills.

Furthermore BioWare managed with their last Beta-Weekend and the long headstart to create the smoothest MMO-Start ever seen. You have some queues, but thats better than having empty servers and being forced to merge pretty soon - besides that the game runs pretty fluent and there are no big "nono-issues" included in the final version. Staying at the technical side i realy enjoy the graphic engine - not it's not state of the art, it's the heroes engine, but thats a good choice. This engine is well developed and reached a certain quality level you need to ensure a bug free running mmo. if you have a look at games like Age of Conan, creating a new engine, and new problems you realy realy look forward to have a solid gameplay and graphic engine with relativly low requirements. Furthermore the engine suits perfectly the kotor scenario, like the slight anime characteristic suits the TV-Series (CloneWars) and the Kotor gaming series as well. It feels like it was totaly the right choice.
    One negative aspect of that engine is the current ui and the character creation. But both issues are on the priority list quiet important for BioWare and we can expect better options there in the next big patches.

Another great idea is the companion system, having the chance like in Kotor to learn the stories of up to 5 companions (per class) and being able to interact with them offers even more possibilites to go deeper into the storytelling, furthermore they act as your pets being realy tremendously helpful during your fights and leveling process.
    A matter of taste is the companion related crafting system. I personaly like it - the hardcore crafter will dislike it, but you will send your companions for crafting missions. You let them craft, "waste" their time and be able to continue with the things your are currently doing while improving your process. I realy appreciate it, but as I said not everybody will.

PvP:
    PvP has a new aspect for the MMO-sector. It has (not on the open pvp planet ilum) a level equaliser. It buffs your HP and your skills to the highest level. So it is theoreticaly possible to fight lvl 10 vs. lvl 50. Theoreticaly because as a lvl 10 you are laking some skills and may be equipment, but you have a realistic chance to compete to a certain point. The good thing about it is that it is easier to play with your mates no matter what level they are and there will be pvp games going on during the level period, because the field of possible competetors is way wider than in usual mmos.
    The maps are pretty much known as Domination and Assault/Defence. What's new is the Hutt Ball. A quiet funny pvp map where you are able to play with the enemy faction as well. It's just a fun map, but it's well done... i won't write so much about it cause there are alot of videos out there.
    The PvP itself feels smooth. On the one hand the tanks and healers are not as useless/boring as they are often in other pvp systems, cause for example the tank can use his taunt to reduce damage in pvp and the fighting time seems to be quiet good. It's not that you have to fight through epic fights all the time.. it's not taking hours to one-on-one, but on the otherhand there is no one-hitting-slaughter-class in the game.

Coming to the PVE aspect like flashpoints. I don't know how well done the raids are yet (I am lvl 40), but the flashpoints for groups are cool though. Some of them are again realy story driven and your decisions make an impact on how the dungeon is going on, some of them are straight forward pve flashpoints. Nearly all the bosses have abilites you have to take care of, so if you are not way overleveled there is no real tanks and spank for the most situations.

For the last point before the conclusion I will cover the world design.
    The ones who know StarWars will realy enjoy the world they will be dropped in. The detail and the fauna is amazingly well done... again they have gotten the maximum out of the engine to get the right atmosphere to the game.

As a conclusion I would highly recommend you to at least try the game. As a StarWars fan you will be amazed, but even as a casual MMO-Player you will have fun and enjoy. Give it a shot and don't be afraid, because of some people having to "flame" and "down-rank" the game so hard.
  67. Dec 20, 2011
    Just fantastic. Don't buy into the hate, enjoy this game for what is it ... one of the most enjoyable bieoware games yet. It wins on just about every level with great quests, fantastic PVP, and huge production values
  68. Dec 20, 2011
    I signed up for Metacritic as I felt the need for a more indepth analysis of the game, after seeing some of the user "reviews" already out there I would describe SWTOR as a Story Driven MMORPG and it has a lot going for it. As has been mentioned, all quest givers, main characters and even your own character are voice acted, and it a high standard as well. Accepting quests usuallyI signed up for Metacritic as I felt the need for a more indepth analysis of the game, after seeing some of the user "reviews" already out there I would describe SWTOR as a Story Driven MMORPG and it has a lot going for it. As has been mentioned, all quest givers, main characters and even your own character are voice acted, and it a high standard as well. Accepting quests usually involves a bit of dialogue, in which you use a dialogue wheel (such as in Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2). I find this makes "normal" questing that much more engaging, and it gets even better if you are in a group, either in normal questing or in dungeons as all the party are engaged. When a dialogue choice needs to be made, each will make their choice and a roll is taken, the highest score uses their dialogue choice. This happens for each dialogue choice. I think this is a fantastic piece of the game. While quests are generally Kill that, activate this, retrieve those, they are well done (which MMO does not involve these quests, they all do, it is just how well they hide it). Also, many quests branch out or give you alternative solutions to completing them (do you do what the original quest giver wanted or take take up the alternative option of another). Many quests involve choices that affect your rewards and light side/dark side standing. While there are two factions (Sith and Republic) both factions can choose Dark and Light Side options (and get gear for that disposition) meaning you can have evil Jedi or good Sith if you so which, adding in a lot of choice. Dungeons are very well done with good stories. In addition to the usual loot that drops from bosses, there are also things call Commendations that drop from dungeons, normal mobs while questing and as rewards. You can turn these in in exchange for powerful gear. So even if there was nothing that dropped for you on a dungeon run, you usually get enough commendations (or close to enough) to get good gear from the respective vendors which is an excellent touch. Crafting is very well implemented. Instead of you having to go accross the map to find materials, you can send out your companions to gather them for you and they also craft the items, free you up to quest. You can also find materials in the wild if you so choose. I find combat to be extremely fun. Gone is the Auto-attack. You have to activly use an ability to perform an attack. I was skeptical about this at first but have found it great fun as it is very engaging and the combat looks great! It makes for a very nice visual experience. Class are fun, although I am a bit disappointing that the Sith and Republic classes are pretty much the same, just with different skill names and visual effects (but the same basic function). Each Class has two Advanced Classes, making for a total of about 8 unique classes in the game. In addition, each Advanced Class has 3 talent trees (you get 1 point per level after 10 to spend here) allow you to customize further. The game is not perfect of course. For us RP'ers, at the moment there are no Chat Bubbles (they will be implemented at a later date) making /Say chat more difficult than it needs to be. In addition there are various bugs atm, most are merely visual glithces, but I have experienced one in an instance which made be fall through the floor and get stuck, meaning I have to re-logg and could not complete the dungeon with my group. Also, I ordered the Collector's Edtion, and for some reason there is no manual! So there is very little explanation on how things work, for example that planets are divided into instances. Normally this is fine, but if you want to group with somebody from another instance (think another copy of the world) you have to change. The issue with this, is that is warns me I will not be able to see if my friends are online in this new instance and I do not know how to change back (since I do not have a manual!). So they need to provide better instructions and maybe actually include a game manual. Also there are some server waits at the moment and there seems to be a grafical glitch that can slow down even high end machines (Note: Fix by Setting Graphic Default to High, then apply. Then set to Low and turn of shadows and if you, like me have a low end machine, turn off grass etc and it works fine). Over all, from my 5 days of playing early access I have to say this is a great game, the story telling are signature Bioware, the quests usually have different outcomes and twists and the combat is fun. A bit rough around the edges still, but I expect many of these to be fixed post launch. The Good
    - Story/Characters
    - Grouping
    - Instances
    - Combat
    - Crafting

The Bad
    - Bugs
    - Wait Times
    - Lack of manual/documentation
    - Missing features (chat bubbles)
    - Instanced Planets (but this does help reduce quest ganking)

Recommendation: If you like MMORPG's you should give this game a try.
    Rating: 9 (10 to balance Red;s)
  69. Dec 22, 2011
    Is it mostly WoW in a Star Wars skin. Yes. But is uber-polished and the story lines are great. I leveled 4 different classes in WoW, and for the life of me can't remember a cohesive story line. Now I take the heads off of people who reveal plot lines! I'm hooked!
  70. Dec 20, 2011
    They made a KOTOR (best game ever), but multiplayers. It's all I ever dreamed. I've played a lot of MMOs and it's the first time that I'm interested in the story of quests. I truly don't care if the gameplay is like in WoW, I've played MMOs before WoW and it was already the same. Did players complained about WoW gameplay ? At first I was afraid about graphics when I saw screenshots, butThey made a KOTOR (best game ever), but multiplayers. It's all I ever dreamed. I've played a lot of MMOs and it's the first time that I'm interested in the story of quests. I truly don't care if the gameplay is like in WoW, I've played MMOs before WoW and it was already the same. Did players complained about WoW gameplay ? At first I was afraid about graphics when I saw screenshots, but in fact the game is beautiful, I really love its style. Excellent work Bioware, thanks for all ! Expand
  71. Dec 20, 2011
    TL,DR version: If you are an MMO (especially WoW) veteran looking for something entirely else, move along. If you are here to enjoy a very solid Star Wars MMO with a refreshing take on NPC and mission interactions, come on in!
    *************************
    SW:TOR is all about expectations. This is an observation I made during my time in the beta and early-access communities and I'd like to
    *************************
    SW:TOR is all about expectations.

This is an observation I made during my time in the beta and early-access communities and I'd like to elaborate on that rather than futilely give a final verdict to an online game that has been officially live for less than 24 hours right away.

There is a group of players (I won't call them "minority" just yet, but they are certainly more vocal then they ought to be) who came to SW:TOR expecting groundbreaking new features, cutting edge technological feats and never-before-seen, game-changing innovation.
    They were counting on SW:TOR to make right all the failings and shortcoming they perceive in other MMOs (especially WoW) and if not that, then at least vastly improve upon already existing features. The absurdly negative reviews you see on this site, as well as other sources, will for the most part be their doing.
    I've been following SW:TOR since 2008 and I never got that " *everything* will be brand-new" vibe from all the announcements, news and ads I've seen / read during this time, so frankly I'm at a loss where all these baseless expectations are coming from. However, it's undeniable that a considerable group was thinking otherwise so I'm sure they must have their reasons. So honest warning: If you expect this game to greatly deviate from the trodden path, to have such features and gameplay that you, as a MMO veteran, will be astonished with something new at every turn, then SW:TOR is sure to disappoint you, and if you can't alter those expectations to match reality you'd be better off to stay away.

HOWEVER, SW:TOR is a great game in its own right. Quite similar to what Blizzard did when they were making the most successful MMO ever, Bioware takes the established Star Wars name, blends it with tried-and-true best practices copied from numerous other games, does some fine-tuning improvements where necessary, and then adds their original flavor on top of that. And what a flavor it is, in my 10+ years of MMO gaming, I never though that there could such engrossing storytelling and character interaction in a online game.
    If you want your game to be different not in combat mechanics or talent trees or class system etc. but in the way of how you become a part of an epic world along with other players, SW:TOR more than delivers: It excels above all others. (Sure, sandbox games such as EVE Online -of which I'm an avid fan- can challenge that, but "making up your own story" isn't quite the same as taking part in the tales of a master storyteller).

So if you came to SW:TOR hoping to find quests with moral choices and multiple outcomes (that contrary to some uninformed accusations have greater effect on your character than purely cosmetic), to feel personally involved in completing the next mission or killing the next big bad, to take your own starship to the far reaches of a wonderfully "Star Warsy" galaxy, to interact with and influence NPCs almost as much as you can with human players, and if you want to do all of these based on rock-solid MMO mechanics instead of wild experimental ideas that might just fail and ruin all of the above, then look no more, welcome home.
  72. Dec 20, 2011
    These gloopy lewdies keep govereeting about how this game has starry mechanics and a baddiwad raskazz. Well they are some real lying grahzny brachnies. I'm just here to say that the game is real horrorshow and good like. Don't listen to these shoots and try it for yerself.
  73. Dec 20, 2011
    I have played SWTOR in two Beta Weekends, and every day since I got let into Early Access on Day 1. In total, I've probably logged more than 100 hours, and have played every classes origin world, as well as levelled 2 characters into the mid-high 20's, one in beta and my main now at launch. I've played maybe 5 MMO's previously. SWTOR is the best MMO I've ever played, but that doesn't meanI have played SWTOR in two Beta Weekends, and every day since I got let into Early Access on Day 1. In total, I've probably logged more than 100 hours, and have played every classes origin world, as well as levelled 2 characters into the mid-high 20's, one in beta and my main now at launch. I've played maybe 5 MMO's previously. SWTOR is the best MMO I've ever played, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. They've taken alot of the features that I didn't like about other MMO's and have fixed them. Crafting for one, no more wasting time doing it yourself, you can send your companions on missions to gather resources or craft for you. The crafting system is plenty detailed, it's better than any MMO I've ever played, though not as good as some other MMO's I've heard others speak of. You gather mats, you craft some greens, you reverse engineer them to get back some mats and have a chance at unlocking a blue quality recipe of that item, then you can make the blues and reverse engineer them for a chance at a purple quality item. There are crafting crits as well, which give you a chance at an extra bonus to an item, such as an extra mod slot. Many items can be modded, and certain crafting professions specialize in mods. The modding system, after having gone through several iterations in the beta, is finally as it should be, just enough mods for things to be simple, but still offer a lot of customization options for gear. Combat is your standard MMO hotkey fare, but Bioware has given abilities the best animations I've ever seen in an MMO, which really helps to spice up combat. Combat is responsive, unlike in many other MMO's I've played, when you hit a key, the ability is used almost immediately. Auto-attack has been removed, which also helps to liven up combat and make it feel more involving. Companions also help to liven up combat, but have much better AI than "pets" in other MMO's, so they don't require babysitting or micro-managing. Difficulty is pretty low throughout much of the game, but there are certain boss encounters in Flashpoints (SWTOR's story-driven version of Dungeons) and in certain points of the class story that are fairly difficult, requiring multiple tries. Death is made easier with an in place revive with a scaling cooldown. Death penalty is your standard item degradation, beware, items can degrade pretty quickly if you're dying alo, and repairig full degredation on all of your gear is somewhat pricey.

Graphics are better than those of any MMO I've ever played. You'll see some people complaining about the graphics, but those people are generally comparing SWTOR to singleplayer games, an unfair comparison for any MMO, a genre known for lesser graphics. There are few areas that are sloppily done, but that's to be expected in a game SWTOR's size, it may have more total land area than any game ever created except for Daggerfall (which used recycled generated areas). Character graphics are a weak area, as is character creation (but they've steadily added more options to creation throughout the beta and have said that they will contiunue to do so after launch). Story. Now this is where SWTOR stands out. I've played every classes origin world story, and 2 classes well into Chapter 1 (mid-late 20's). There isn't a story that I'm not hooked to, and I find myself having trouble playing choosing which character to work on each day. Writing is pretty good on most quests, there are few awkward moments both in the class stories and in side stories, but in general, they're fantastic. The Side stories aren't quite as good as the Class Stories, but I still find myself engrossed by several of them. Bioware has succeeded in making me feel an emotional connection to many of the charcters, both in Class Stories and Side Stories, so I have major trouble trying to choose dark side choices, even on my Sith characters.

PvP is amazing, better than in any MMO I've ever played. Combat is balanced, I find myself at the top of one leaderboard or other regardless of what class I'm playing. All the amazing Star Wars themed animations going off at once in a group engagement looks amazing, lightsabers whirring everywhere, blasterbolts and lightning flying past. The Warzones are varied and are quite entertaining. SWTOR's weakest area is social features. Right now, guilds are lacking features (high priority fix after launch), there are no social minigames to get people socializing in Cantinas (another post-launch feature), It's very difficult to find PUGs to run Heroics and Flashpoints with once you get out of the teens, the economy on the Galactic Exchange seems fairly poor (barely anyone are selling items there or are buying items from others). But all in all, SWTOR is an amazing achievement in MMO history. It's the best MMO I've ever played and I fully intend to play this game for at least a year.
  74. Dec 20, 2011
    I hope no one decides weather or not to buy this game on these user reviews the Game is great i admit i have been a follower of the games development for years and to me the game was everything i hoped for. For the people claiming all you do is grind i'd like to disagree as grinding in this game is completely optional, all grinding missions ar side quest that you don't need to do if youI hope no one decides weather or not to buy this game on these user reviews the Game is great i admit i have been a follower of the games development for years and to me the game was everything i hoped for. For the people claiming all you do is grind i'd like to disagree as grinding in this game is completely optional, all grinding missions ar side quest that you don't need to do if you don't want to that main quest line the class story does not contain grinding missions Bioware made sure of this. And for the people claiming it's like wow and it's nothing new i don't understand why you are complaining so far every oher mmo trying to be different has failed and wow has reigned supreme i agree it feels like wow but this isn't bad because it's made the things people love from wow and put it in but made it better if you love wow you will love this game because it has all the good things plus more for you people angry about this you must just want to hang on to wow because this game is going to murder it because it is a new and improved version. Conclusion i found myself immersed in every aspect i care about the quest i'm doing and i see myself and alot of other people playing this game for years to come just wait for the official reviews 10/10 peeps Expand
  75. Dec 20, 2011
    Star Wars: The Old Republicâ
  76. Dec 22, 2011
    very fun game , i'm level 21 and loving it! I also have a level 17 Trooper and he is a lot of fun too!
    I love the Jedi Sage and I want to roll a Jedi Shadow soon!
  77. Dec 20, 2011
    One phrase sums up SW:TOR, "It's the STORY.....(stupid)".

One phrase sums up SW:TOR, "It's the STORY.....(stupid)".

The EQ -> WoW MMO legacy was based only loosely on story and mostly about gear progression. In those games I always felt the urge to rush to max level, skip quest text, follow the bread crumb trail that was obvious, and get to the next level, the next zone, the next gear upgrade. Blah, blah boring after 7 years of playing like that. WoW is an awesome game and there is enough room in my gaming interests to play BOTH without the universe exploding. But that gaming mode is old, old, old.

Make no mistake, this is NOT WoW and is not trying to copy WoW. There are basic things that are in common such as talents and combat, but that's about as far as it goes. The immersion comes from paying attention to the quest voice dialog and really interacting with it. Your choices in the dialog matter and as a result I have found myself personally attached to my toon within the first 5 levels. My toons in other games are all about their gear at max level where leveling doesn't mean jack at the end. In this case, our choices all along the way are unique and give a unique feel to your toon.

Mechanically, SW:TOR has a number of nice "quality of life" goodies. The Companion system for crafting is a fantastic concept. No more taking your own time to farm and craft grind over and over again, send your companion off to do that. AoE looting is a huge improvement to the questing experience. The light/dark options along the way leave you with a unique character at max level as well based on the choices along the way. Yes, you can be a dark Jedi or a light Sith. And what's even more interesting is the clear distinction between Empire and Republic with no blurring the lines and "capital city" mess of being "nice" to the other faction. The other guys are your sworn enemies and you want to kill them. Take that into PvP and you'll have a lot more fun!

Yes, there are improvements that need to be made but what games doesn't need them? The UI needs customization (which they say is coming), the GTN (auction house equivalent) needs some better filtering ability. If those improvements don't come, then there is a problem. But to be sitting on launch day and have the major things RIGHT, and some details like the ones I mentioned not done yet just tells me they made good choices in building a game that is INTERESTING first. They are not fatal flaws unless you're a hyper-obsessive basement dweller.

The term "WoW killer" is so overused and misapplied it's laughable. BW didn't set out to make this a killer of anything but to make a game with their unique way of story telling that happens to be one of the most relateable and immersive story lines of the modern movie generation, Star Wars. To enjoy that means setting aside most of the mind set trained from the WoW's of the MMO genre and being open to a new experience. One that I personally find to be the best and most refreshing since I started playing MMOs 8 years ago.
  78. Tro
    Dec 20, 2011
    I've been patiently waiting for this game ever since I heard about it back in mid 2010. Prior to that I had sworn off MMORPGs after getting bored with the genre, however the combination of Star Wars and a massively open world to play in convinced me to keep an eye on developments. After having participated in the recent beta weekend events, I knew with 100% certainty that Star Wars: TheI've been patiently waiting for this game ever since I heard about it back in mid 2010. Prior to that I had sworn off MMORPGs after getting bored with the genre, however the combination of Star Wars and a massively open world to play in convinced me to keep an eye on developments. After having participated in the recent beta weekend events, I knew with 100% certainty that Star Wars: The Old Republic would be my new digital home for the foreseeable future. Once you get your ship and more powerful abilities early-to-mid level you really start to appreciate the sheer amount of hard work that has gone into this game; the scenery especially is outstanding, from the claustrophobic tunnels of Coruscant to the brash, neon skyline of Nar Shaddaa, and then to the dusty, sandy, scorched world of Tatooine, you are fully immersed in the Star Wars galaxy so deftly and lovingly crafted by BioWare. The gameplay is also excellent, and I've got so many abilities to play around with even though I'm level 33 (out of 50) that I've run out of hotkeys! Conclusion: I can heartily recommend this game to newcomers and veterans alike. There are hundreds, thousands of hours of game time to be had, for the price of a couple of rental dvds per month. This premium entertainment is excellent value for money. Expand
  79. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game. The "WoW clone" criticism makes no sense to me, since I never enjoyed WoW much at all, and I'm addicted to this game. Beyond the overemphasized "story" element, it has several features beyond what WoW offers - companions and crew skills, fully moddable items, even just the quick travel system is improved over WoW's. Plus, while the combat system is basically the same asGreat game. The "WoW clone" criticism makes no sense to me, since I never enjoyed WoW much at all, and I'm addicted to this game. Beyond the overemphasized "story" element, it has several features beyond what WoW offers - companions and crew skills, fully moddable items, even just the quick travel system is improved over WoW's. Plus, while the combat system is basically the same as WoW's, you use many more abilities in TOR, which gives it greater depth. Expand
  80. Dec 20, 2011
    This is a world of warcraft clone. the graphics are bad and dumb as poop. I sometimes wonder why there are no many fanboy for this game. It is just an cheaper alternative to WoW, and that game is dumb also. I wanted action game, I got boring mess. Writing is on par with a harlequin romance novel. sorry for poor english not frist language. Hope helpful!! :)
  81. Dec 20, 2011
    This is coming from someone who played the mass effect series and loved it. I bought this game after hearing all the hype about the voice acting because I thought that it would bring a good story to an MMO, but in all reality this is still a **** mmo game where it would be better to just skip the story and go through the grind of getting to the highest level and getting the best armor.
  82. Dec 20, 2011
    Let me start with syaing i was pretty exited about his game, but i knew Lucasarts had burn me in the past so I went in to the game with relatively low expactaions... and they blew me away!

That this is the worlds most expensive game to date shows, the voice acting is some of the best in the industry and surely the most biggest voice acting project to date! Grapichs are exellent for an

Grapichs are exellent for an mmo while they don't compare to most other triple A singleplayer games, it is the best looking mmo out there. Tere are some visual bugs out there but nothing gamebreaking or annoying!

Gameplay is standard launch mmo, not as polished as most current mmos out there are at this moment but I would assume that this will be fixed and balanced out within months! The game also has space combat which is very akin to Star Fox or Lylat wars in europe which in it self could very well be a self contained game!

The story writing is on par with other games Bioware has put out with eight self contained stories for each starting class. Obviously I have been unable to complete all of them in time of writing and this is something i look forward into doing!

This isn't going to break "any other mmo" out there right now but in a month when the kinks have all been worked out this will be the contender!

Even though parts of this review has reflected negatively on the game this are miniscule problems that I wanted to bring to light the take very little away from the experience of discovering the world of Star Wars and this is a game I will willingly be sinking alot of time into!

I recommend getting this game as fast as you can since it will most likely be in very high demand.
  83. Dec 20, 2011
    Fully voiced quests, class quests spanning 50 levels, group quests, open world PvP, battleground PvP, space games, missions, flashpoints..there is a ton of content in this game. Other exciting features are social points, legacy levels, and the flashpoints are a new take on dungeons that make them so much more engaging than dungeons in prior MMOs. It really is a top notch MMO.
  84. Dec 20, 2011
    Don't worry too much about the bad reviews. This game has been out officially for 13 hours. Most of the negative reviews here consist of the typical QQ associated with first impressions of new AAA mmos. You'll never get an MMO that's exactly what you want it to be, so don't cry when Bioware doesn't meet your every specification. I've been playing this game since mid-summer beta and it'sDon't worry too much about the bad reviews. This game has been out officially for 13 hours. Most of the negative reviews here consist of the typical QQ associated with first impressions of new AAA mmos. You'll never get an MMO that's exactly what you want it to be, so don't cry when Bioware doesn't meet your every specification. I've been playing this game since mid-summer beta and it's gotten better with every build. The final product is highly polished and offers more than any other MMO on the market. Expand
  85. Dec 20, 2011
    Perhaps this game is not the most revolutionary, but it is fun. I am not a hardcore player, but I have played a number of MMO's before. This game is different in that the voiceovers for quests do immerse you in the game, but it may not be for everyone. The core mechanics are designed to simple and easy for non-mmo players to pick-up. If you've never played an MMO before or have neverPerhaps this game is not the most revolutionary, but it is fun. I am not a hardcore player, but I have played a number of MMO's before. This game is different in that the voiceovers for quests do immerse you in the game, but it may not be for everyone. The core mechanics are designed to simple and easy for non-mmo players to pick-up. If you've never played an MMO before or have never felt a "part" of the game...check out The Old Republic...casual players that appreciate a story will have fun. Expand
  86. Dec 20, 2011
    In SWTOR Bioware brings something back to the Star Wars universe that has been lacking since KOTOR and Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy. Story. And unlike another MMO that promises Legendary Items, SWTOR actually has weapons and armor that can stay with you throughout the game.
  87. Dec 20, 2011
    I've been waiting too long for an MMO to pull me in like this again. The crafting isn't as deep as I'd like, but its still engaging and if you want to be good at it,you must invest time into it. FP's are amazing fun and group dynamics in missions, especially story missions is absolutely fantastic.
  88. Dec 20, 2011
    Great game. There are some very innovative features, such as crafting and multiplayer dialogues, built on top of the proven success of a themepark design. BioWare is masterful in their storytelling and cinematic delivery of content. There's room for improvement, but in their first MMO attempt I think BioWare has done very well. I'm having a lot of fun!
  89. Dec 20, 2011
    There is an obvious attempt by someone (usually just follow the money) to cripple SWTOR out of the gate. I've played the game (about 40 hours so far) and I've barely scratched the surface of the content. If you liked Knights of the Old Republic you will like this game, a lot.
  90. Dec 20, 2011
    Best Star Wars MMO? yes. This is what i have been waiting for. RPG is finally back in MMO and thanks to Bioware i actually care for role playing part.
  91. Dec 20, 2011
    As a long time MMORPG gamer, SWTOR is a breath of fresh air. I hate reading quest text, in fact, I never bother with it. I just can't get interested enough in whatever kind of BS lore the game team came up with. However as a huge fan of Mass Effect, the dialogue choice BioWare chose to go with was a major selling point for me. Not only can you choose what your character says, but if you'reAs a long time MMORPG gamer, SWTOR is a breath of fresh air. I hate reading quest text, in fact, I never bother with it. I just can't get interested enough in whatever kind of BS lore the game team came up with. However as a huge fan of Mass Effect, the dialogue choice BioWare chose to go with was a major selling point for me. Not only can you choose what your character says, but if you're in a party with a friend, both of your characters (up to 4) are featured in the cut scenes and have a chance of speaking. I love that.

I think as far as gameplay goes, it is standard MMO gaming. NOthing was reinvented except for the way quests are accepted. Storyline seems like a useless addition to most MMO's. In SWTOR - it's prevalent.

I believe this is setting a new bar in MMO storytelling, and I expect future games to follow this successful path.
  92. Dec 20, 2011
    I love it. Cinematic experience, innovative crafting system, awesome visuals, and heroic-feeling combat. There's a lot of room for expansions, but that's why we pay the subscriptions. Would recommend to anyone who liked KOTOR, WoW, and/or Star Wars.
  93. Dec 20, 2011
    you people are he flat silly. I can't believe the critics..and now i can't believe the users so it's really become just buy it or rent it and try it for myself. everytime a new mmo comes out it's omg a wow clone!! And you people really think WOW pioneered this model? Seriously give me a break!!! You think mmos are somehow going to revolutionize and change everything? I highly doubtyou people are he flat silly. I can't believe the critics..and now i can't believe the users so it's really become just buy it or rent it and try it for myself. everytime a new mmo comes out it's omg a wow clone!! And you people really think WOW pioneered this model? Seriously give me a break!!! You think mmos are somehow going to revolutionize and change everything? I highly doubt it considering todays forms of input so until the tech increases and gets cheaper the model of how our input is taken and translated in game is NOT going to change!!! Also, i played wow from the start and I don't remember it having allll this end game content everyone is fussing about until some expansions came out...and i remember it's graphics were sub par too..but it was fun and it put you in a fantasy world you wanted to be in. That is exactly what swtor does if you are a star wars fan.....and i have yet to see the grind because i'm always doing something new in this game. Tell me this since you wow fanboys are soooo smart. What kinda quests would you have people do in your mmo? LOL!! probably about the same b/c the reality of it is there's only so many varied quest types you can come up with and that coupled with the fact that you must serve up thousands of them for millions of players to enjoy so that things are varied enough they are not fully monotonous is a daunting task in itself. At least a lot of these quests in swtor lend to the story line and the atmosphere which is more than i can say for WOW. MMOs are like wine...they get better with age. The fact that you all are ripping it tells me 1 of 3 things. A: your a hardcore fanboy of WOW and no mmo that comes out within the next 10 years is going to satisfy that itch for something different
    OR
    B: you don't understand anything about human/computer interaction and the possiblities ther are with certain limitations on computing power across the board
    OR
    C: you wouldn't know a good, fun, atmospheric, well built, non launch crashing, engaging game if it punched you in the face (and i've played em all and i must say that this has been the best handled release, and most thought out well developed mmo to ever come out to date taking it for what it is now at release date notwithstanding future expansions)

That's my 2 cents on the topic since all i read nowadays is nitpicky garbage on these user review sites.
  94. Dec 20, 2011
    I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible. First off, this is NOT a mostly single player game. Can you level up solo? Yes, if you don't want social points. There is a lot to the game that you can not do solo however, such as a lot of Heroic 2+ quests, Heroic 4+ quests, flashpoints (dungeons), and raids. People coming on here calling it a single player lobby game are ridiculous orI'm going to try to keep this as short as possible. First off, this is NOT a mostly single player game. Can you level up solo? Yes, if you don't want social points. There is a lot to the game that you can not do solo however, such as a lot of Heroic 2+ quests, Heroic 4+ quests, flashpoints (dungeons), and raids. People coming on here calling it a single player lobby game are ridiculous or are trolling. Phases (instances) are that way to prevent people having to sit around forever fighting over a named mob. Since the days of UO and Dark Age of Camelot, I think this is finally an MMO that I think I will be able to stick with for over a year. The story is phenomenal, and I find myself listening to every cut scene and basically forgetting that I am actually leveling. The combat is fun, I think at the moment I use roughly 8 skills in the course of a fight, so it's definitely not all spamming one button. The flashpoints I have done (4 now I think) have slowly gotten harder with more mechanics added in and I find that I don't mind doing them multiple times in a row for drops, experience, social points and alignment. I have yet to PvP so I really don't have any comment on that. The only minor disappointment for me is the space combat compared to a game centralized on space, I then realized that this game is not centralized around space fighting and now I think of space combat and quests more as like a mini game side thing to do, which makes it a little fun. Expand
  95. Dec 20, 2011
    The game is not revolutionary, but never claimed to be. The previous posters do not seem to understand the nature of themepark MMOs. Version 1.0 is not going to be the perfect game, but Bioware has done an amazing job of polishing the game second only to Blizzard. If you enjoyed WoW, you will enjoy SWTOR. The look and feel is fresh, and if you allow yourself, you will become engrossed inThe game is not revolutionary, but never claimed to be. The previous posters do not seem to understand the nature of themepark MMOs. Version 1.0 is not going to be the perfect game, but Bioware has done an amazing job of polishing the game second only to Blizzard. If you enjoyed WoW, you will enjoy SWTOR. The look and feel is fresh, and if you allow yourself, you will become engrossed in the story like you have never been able to experience in an MMO before. During the beta, I actually found myself becoming attached to my characters, even to the point of recreating my beta character EXACTLY for the release of the game. There will be major changes to come based on community feedback and the direction Bioware feels is appropriate for the game, this is how MMOs work by their very nature. I hope anyone seeing this review that is even remotely interested will give it a try. Expand
  96. Dec 20, 2011
    Really enjoyable game.
    I wasn't really interested into swtor till last minute, and after days of playing it, I loved it. The music is fantastic, I love the voice acting. The only thing I don't like that much is huttball.I see alot of buttmad **** trying to make this game look bad.
  97. Dec 20, 2011
    Beautiful game that caters to both casual and hardcore players. There is minimal lag for even the crappiest PC due to the class zones being instanced for story-line purposes. There's no running off to kill 20 cats and bringing it back with little to no story. For the game's start, I think it's doing wonderfully. You will either hate or like or and those that seem to hate it are World ofBeautiful game that caters to both casual and hardcore players. There is minimal lag for even the crappiest PC due to the class zones being instanced for story-line purposes. There's no running off to kill 20 cats and bringing it back with little to no story. For the game's start, I think it's doing wonderfully. You will either hate or like or and those that seem to hate it are World of Warcraft fans where NOTHING ever changes aside from additions to the class and races and a few meager pieces of crap. You want repetition? Go play WoW. This game has barely put it's foot in the door and no one has even given it the time of day before they start trashing it.

I am sticking it out and plan on seeing what Bioware does with this game. It's very submursive and that's what I was looking for in an MMO.
  98. Dec 20, 2011
    Great game. Fully Voice acted, detailed story, and very large universe. I have read many complaints that it's not MMO enough... Maybe it's just not the MMO for YOU. Single play content is awesome, but that's not all there is. I have no problem grouping, playing any content single or in a group. If you go into it with a negative attitude because you aren't "raiding" after 20 minutes ofGreat game. Fully Voice acted, detailed story, and very large universe. I have read many complaints that it's not MMO enough... Maybe it's just not the MMO for YOU. Single play content is awesome, but that's not all there is. I have no problem grouping, playing any content single or in a group. If you go into it with a negative attitude because you aren't "raiding" after 20 minutes of play, that's you're fault. It's the anti-grind MMO. If you like the raid gear grind, good for you, just don't complain because this MMO does it differently, go play WOW nobody will miss you here. Expand
  99. Dec 20, 2011
    ToR is a really polished, deep, well made game that I think is not only a fantastic MMO but is a fantastic SP RPG as well. The story is so engaging and is as well written and voiced as Bioware's single player offerings. Give it a try if you enjoy MMO's or just RPG's you will really enjoy this game!
  100. Dec 20, 2011
    Awesome game, everyone giving it low scores is absolutely trolling. It has everything I look for in an MMO, and more. It is actually original and has an amazing story behind it.

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.