5.9

1. Dec 20, 2011
    Great game. Fully Voice acted, detailed story, and very large universe. I have read many complaints that it's not MMO enough... Maybe it's just not the MMO for YOU. Single play content is awesome, but that's not all there is. I have no problem grouping, playing any content single or in a group. If you go into it with a negative attitude because you aren't "raiding" after 20 minutes ofGreat game. Fully Voice acted, detailed story, and very large universe. I have read many complaints that it's not MMO enough... Maybe it's just not the MMO for YOU. Single play content is awesome, but that's not all there is. I have no problem grouping, playing any content single or in a group. If you go into it with a negative attitude because you aren't "raiding" after 20 minutes of play, that's you're fault. It's the anti-grind MMO. If you like the raid gear grind, good for you, just don't complain because this MMO does it differently, go play WOW nobody will miss you here. Expand
  2. Dec 20, 2011
    ToR is a really polished, deep, well made game that I think is not only a fantastic MMO but is a fantastic SP RPG as well. The story is so engaging and is as well written and voiced as Bioware's single player offerings. Give it a try if you enjoy MMO's or just RPG's you will really enjoy this game!
  3. Dec 20, 2011
    Awesome game, everyone giving it low scores is absolutely trolling. It has everything I look for in an MMO, and more. It is actually original and has an amazing story behind it.
  4. Dec 20, 2011
    This game has been divisive since way before release. Anyone following the community knows that there's a lot of hate out there for this game. Whether it's people who still can't get over DA2, players who expected a sandbox, or people with overconfidence in their budgetary analysis skills, plenty have come out against this game.

Bot more importantly, a lot of players really love this game

Bot more importantly, a lot of players really love this game and rightfully so. As themepark MMOs go, it's really one of the best, better in quality and content than recent contender Rift. I once played WoW pretty heavily, but lost interest in the world and was no longer invested in my characters. I'm happy to say that TOR has rekindled that desire in its own way with its liberal dose of voice acting and a real care given to the world. It's hard to sum up the game as a whole. It's really one of those things that you have to try out to see if you like it. First off, I love sci-fi. That right there is a leg up on the competition. I also love how they handled companions in an MMO setting and I LOVE that I actually have a reason to group again. Haters will try to convince you that this is a "single-player game," but nothing could be further from the truth. The best times are the heroic group quests and there are PLENTY of these scattered about. In comparison, modern WoW (and Rift) feel like solitary confinement. It goes to show you that all you need to encourage grouping is a challenge that asks for it. Yes, you can solo, but you'll miss out on great experience, loot and more importantly, fun times with other players.

Yes there are faults.Even though conversations are way more engaging than boring boxes of text, they aren't as artfully crafted as in Dragon Age or Mass Effect (and even those weren't the best in the biz). Conversation options can feel somewhat limiting at times. The UI, while perfectly serviceable, has few customization options. There are still bugs to work out (but thankfully none that are game-breaking for me yet). You may find faults with the game design that I don't. I know some things I like, others hate. To each their own.

But if you're looking for a solid themepark MMO that's actually worth paying monthly for (not just a cash grab with free-2-play written all over it), then you can't go wrong here. The community seems pretty good so far, there's plenty to do in game and it offers a setting and genre that themeparks have been ignoring for the most part. I'm having a blast and you might too. You just have to decide for yourself.
  5. Dec 20, 2011
    Been playing for 5 days now, not counting beta. Overall the game is excellent. Easily the most story driven MMO available, would absolutely rival some of the best RPGs for story and content volume. Being able to experience the stories of party members makes it even better.

Group content so far is excellent, with a decent mix of objectives and difficulty. Exploring is lots of fun, with strong incentives for players to explore thoroughly. Crafting is fun, without being a monotonous time and resources sink. Early items are actually useful as you level.

Companions are useful, with a nice selection of options and abilities for all the various classes. Each has their own interesting story and mechanics.

Basic combat and skill system very similar to WoW, which isn't a bad thing for the most part. A few small oversights in regards to early gaps in characters skills. IE, a Sith Juggernaut doesn't have a taunt ability early on, but the Inquisitors first companion does. Not a game breaker, just a slight irritation.

Leveling curve is just about right, the story keeps things moving, without excessive downtime between major quest groups. All that without even mentioning the deep lore well they get with Star Wars. Solid 9/10, would go 9.5 if possible. Keep it up BioWare!
  6. Dec 20, 2011
    Incredibly surprised by all of the negative reviews. I find the game has recaptured my interest and personal involvement in a way that no MMO has been able to do since WoW - if that indicates something negative to you about my taste, so be it. The popularity of World of Warcraft shows myself to be in the majority, and just as I'm getting tired of that game this one comes out. AnyoneIncredibly surprised by all of the negative reviews. I find the game has recaptured my interest and personal involvement in a way that no MMO has been able to do since WoW - if that indicates something negative to you about my taste, so be it. The popularity of World of Warcraft shows myself to be in the majority, and just as I'm getting tired of that game this one comes out. Anyone expecting game-changing innovation was misleading themselves from the very beginning - no company that has invested as much as Bioware and EA have on Star Wars are going to cater to the fringe. They made a mainstream, easily accessible MMO with enough fresh aspects to make it still somewhat new and different, and I'm having one hell of a fun time. Expand
  7. Dec 20, 2011
    Ok for starters Swtor has alot flaws. Bad UI, a little laggy, and it gets pretty confusing at times. However these ARE NOT gamebreaking flaws, these can be fixed with a patch or a addon. It does share many similarities with World of Warcraft but thats not a bad thing. The combat is really fun, , the flashpoints are a blast and the graphics look great on Low. I have no complaints other thanOk for starters Swtor has alot flaws. Bad UI, a little laggy, and it gets pretty confusing at times. However these ARE NOT gamebreaking flaws, these can be fixed with a patch or a addon. It does share many similarities with World of Warcraft but thats not a bad thing. The combat is really fun, , the flashpoints are a blast and the graphics look great on Low. I have no complaints other than the UI. Don't listen to all these butt hurt people expecting the world of a game, the combat is fun, the story is immersive, and its a blast to play. Im gonna stop here because im fixxing to go play some Tor. Peace out and may the force be with you. Expand
  8. Dec 20, 2011
    Don't get all the hating. I've played LOTRO to level cap...and played WOW to about level 26 but got bored. This is as good of an MMO as any made way way better by the SW content. If you're bored to tears of MMO's this won't rejuvinate that because it's an MMO...it's not MMO 2.0 or anything. But as MMO's go it's a GREAT one and that's at launch. It can only get better. I'm captivated.Don't get all the hating. I've played LOTRO to level cap...and played WOW to about level 26 but got bored. This is as good of an MMO as any made way way better by the SW content. If you're bored to tears of MMO's this won't rejuvinate that because it's an MMO...it's not MMO 2.0 or anything. But as MMO's go it's a GREAT one and that's at launch. It can only get better. I'm captivated. Even the side stories are compelling, crafting options are great...all in all, a win. I dont know how PvP is because I don't particularly care for that anyway but the PvE experience is amazing. Expand
  9. Dec 20, 2011
    I have to wonder, have all the people who gave this game negative reviews actually played the damn thing? Anyways.

I'm going to talk at length about this game and why people are idiots for considering it bad. This game is not, and never claimed to be, a revolutionary MMO. It is hotkey based, it is quest based, it is dungeon based, like pretty much every MMO ever. Like RIFT, and World

This game is not, and never claimed to be, a revolutionary MMO. It is hotkey based, it is quest based, it is dungeon based, like pretty much every MMO ever. Like RIFT, and World of Warcraft before it, and EverQuest before it, it follows the same formula. Different setting, of course, but I'm seeing a lot of people who are just like "hurr durr WoW copy"...do you know what the word "genre" means? That's how genres work. People say the same about WoW and EverQuest...WoW did not invent this genre, it is simply the most successful game within it.

This game did not innovate as much as RIFT did, either. The only thing that separates TOR from the rest of the pack in any significant way (aside from the Star Wars IP, of course) is the voice acted story. And it is marvelous. As a lover of end-game, the dungeons and PvP and such, leveling is always the biggest, most boring pain-in-the-ass ever. I played RIFT and I loved it but I couldn't keep going because the grind to max level was just brutal. It's the same in WoW, I could never level another character because of the sheer boredom, the gameplay isn't fun.

SWTOR fixes that, in my opinion. Sure, what you're doing is as bland as in every MMO, but there is real story there. It's incredibly immersive and you care about why you have to kill 10 rats (for the typical example).

Everything else is just incredibly solid. The PvP is great, the group stuff is awesome (and there's story there as well), the combat is surprisingly diverse and there is actual thought process involved in combat in questing unlike most MMOs. Stun that guy, CC that guy, DoT that guy, knockback that guy, instead of mash damage abilities -> collect loot. The companion system is great in this regard as well.

All in all, SWTOR is another MMO that hasn't really innovated, but take it for what it is; an extremely solid game with enough innovation to stand on its own. It has fixed the biggest problem in MMORPGs in my opinion, and I can see myself playing this game for years to come (until Guild Wars 2 at least). People seem to be expecting something completely different to what people perceive to be the "WoW formula", but why fix what ain't broke?
  10. Dec 20, 2011
    I don't get the hate. The game is a blast, graphics are really good for an MMO. It's a great BioWare game and on top of that it's a great BioWare game you can play with your friends. What could be better?
  11. Dec 20, 2011
    Admittedly I was at best sceptical over Bioware's announcement - back in 2008 - that they would henceforth be continuing the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic franchise (which I adore) as an MMO. I don't like MMOs; I find them more often than not to be shallow and the worst representations of video games as a leisure activity. Also, the communities in-game and over the internetAdmittedly I was at best sceptical over Bioware's announcement - back in 2008 - that they would henceforth be continuing the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic franchise (which I adore) as an MMO. I don't like MMOs; I find them more often than not to be shallow and the worst representations of video games as a leisure activity. Also, the communities in-game and over the internet attract the worst examples of gamer.

Yet when I entered the world of SW:TOR, many of my reservations were put aside. The game fits right in with the Star Wars RPG standard set by KOTOR, with extraordinary voice acting and an engaging story from the get go. The dialogue mechanics in particular make grouping up a rather fun experience. This was all to be expected from Bioware and the RPG elements are where this game really shines above the competition (MMO or otherwise). The combat is a definite improvement over KOTOR 2, which could be rather sluggishness and frankly quite boring at times. In SWTOR the hotkey-based combat mechanics add more strategy and depth, yet perfectly accessible. It's not innovative in itself but is a great solution for this particular franchise.

Gameplay outside of the story is of the familiar MMO archetype, and is also for the most part optional. If you don't like PvP, grouping, you can easily avoid these elements and still have a huge game to enjoy. But you can't ignore the fact that SW:TOR is an MMO. Server queues, lag, and less than optimal framerate (with respect the the graphical fidelity) make sure of this. Oh, and yeah a monthly fee. Yet it's worth tolerating this to enjoy the larger game that SW:TOR is, larger perhaps because of the fact that it is an MMO...
  12. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is unexpectedly fantastic. Coming in as someone who is not a very large fan of the Star Wars universe (not that there's anything wrong with it) I am impressed. The graphics are quite fluid, a far cry from trailers in the alphas and betas that had me worried. The voice acting is superb, and the storyline while linear, is engrossing. I know I'll be playing more than one characterThis game is unexpectedly fantastic. Coming in as someone who is not a very large fan of the Star Wars universe (not that there's anything wrong with it) I am impressed. The graphics are quite fluid, a far cry from trailers in the alphas and betas that had me worried. The voice acting is superb, and the storyline while linear, is engrossing. I know I'll be playing more than one character just for this reason, which is more than I can say for any other mmo.

There are some flaws however, the lack of a Target of Target, UI customization features, and support for mouse-over macros are unfortunate, but I expect them to be added in the future.

SWTOR is easily the smoothest and most polished "WoW clone" (using that ironically to describe what all new MMO's are labelled as) of the last 5 years. For once, it feels like there is promise and I have renewed hope in Bioware. Here's to the next few months of polish and patches for an overall great game.
  13. Dec 20, 2011
    Very good game, launch was smooth for me, the game is very fluid. Content is very refreshing, deeply immersive caracter stories with the fully voiced and video conversation making it even more amazing.
    The ability to make other players in your group join you in your "story" and "class" quests is making the grouping part of the game really interesting. Flashpoints and warzones are very good as well.Some minor issues with being dc'd and some long queue times, but very decent for the first launch day!
    Actually one of the smoothest launch i've seen im my gamer life. Bravo to BW and EA who did an awesome job!
  14. Dec 20, 2011
    A quality game, good voice over, story and combat. Fun group content, the crafting is very enjoyable and the story keeps questing from feeling like to much of a drag/grind. Does the game have problems? yes but overall a very smooth and entertaining game with a good art style. I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
  15. Dec 20, 2011
    This is the best MMO I have played. It's is incredibly deep. The story pulls you in and keep you wanting more. The combat is smooth, active, and enjoyable. The PVP has been great so far, I would recommend this to anyone looking to try out a new MMO.
  16. Dec 20, 2011
    An amazing game. Star Wars: The Old Republic is the final evolution of the "traditional" MMO, taking a tried and true system and adding Star Wars lore and BioWare's legendary storytelling. All the usual MMORPG amenities are there, from Auction Houses, to Open World PvP, to dungeons and questing. No MMORPG can even touch SWTOR in story, it's not even close. Each class has its own uniqueAn amazing game. Star Wars: The Old Republic is the final evolution of the "traditional" MMO, taking a tried and true system and adding Star Wars lore and BioWare's legendary storytelling. All the usual MMORPG amenities are there, from Auction Houses, to Open World PvP, to dungeons and questing. No MMORPG can even touch SWTOR in story, it's not even close. Each class has its own unique storyline, fully voice acted and full of decisions. Every quest has decisions to be made. Even the minor "kill 10 X" quests have amazing voice acting and decisions to be made, and unlike Skyrim, every character sounds unique and has his or her own script. This is a bigger upside than it even sounds like; when the quests give you context and make you feel like you're a part of the world, it makes those quests feel like they're worth doing. Quest givers will react to you differently based on your race, class, and what decisions you make. It makes the NPCs feel alive, which in turn makes YOU feel alive. Even dungeons have storylines that your whole party can participate in, which is an incredible feature that solidifies the team, and even changes how the dungeon will play out in some cases. You can even flirt with NPCs, and this CAN turn into something small, even if they're not your companions.

Speaking of which, you get KOTOR-style companions. You can only have one out at a time, but they are a HUGE help and are the equivalent of an extra player, having the same stats and wearing the same gear. Decisions you make will change their disposition towards you, and can lead to some funny comments. Starting companions each fill roles that your class lacks - Tank classes will get DPS and Healing companions, "caster" classes get Tank companions, and so on. Each class has its own unique companions, and they in turn have their own storylines. They can be romanced if you are opposite sex and make the right choices with them, but same-sex romancing, by popular demand, is in the works.

I'm not going to lie, it is VERY similar to World of Warcraft. So similar that, at first glance, it will appear to be a copy, and many classes will feel familiar. On closer inspection, though, it's not the similarities that stand out, but the differences, because many of the features it copies from WoW are refined. Your "hearthstone" can be used to transport you to any bind point you've discovered, making it a good way to get back to town if you're out in the wilderness, or get back to the action if you're in town. You have the option to auto-loot the entire immediate area, hide your helmet if you think it looks ugly and makes your voice sound weird (helmets change your voice sometimes). Anything that needs to be looted will shoot a beam of colored light into the sky that corresponds to the type of loot that the enemy dropped - if you get a purple drop, the beam of light will be purple, if a quest item drops, it will be gold, and so on. Crafting no longer requires you to go out mining for mats or going back to town because you can send your companions off to automatically do it for you, and each companion gets bonuses to certain skills. You can even send them off to automatically sell all your vendor trash. Crafting skills can even affect the outcomes of dungeons, as a person skilled in a certain trade can open shortcuts or paths to secret bosses.

Even if you hate WoW, I would give SWTOR a chance--I hate WoW and I love SWTOR. However, if you're looking for something completely new, and the story elements aren't enough of a draw, this is probably the wrong game for you. It doesn't do a lot that hasn't been done before except for make your character feel alive, so if you couldn't care less about story, it's going to feel like WoW lite in space. It doesn't have free space combat (...yet), so the Space Combat missions are basically Star Fox missions. There isn't much endgame content yet, but you'll only be halfway through your own story when you reach 50, and endgame content is on the way. This may only be 1.0.0, but this is a great showing and a polished game. It earns my 10.
  17. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is the new fresh face of MMO gaming out there. It manages to bring what already long time fans of MMO's want while rejuvenating it with something new and awesome. Every time I do something in this game I scream out AWESOME. Bioware does it again with time proven writing, direction, gameplay, and a strong delivery of awesome. The voice acting is top spot. The characters are allThis game is the new fresh face of MMO gaming out there. It manages to bring what already long time fans of MMO's want while rejuvenating it with something new and awesome. Every time I do something in this game I scream out AWESOME. Bioware does it again with time proven writing, direction, gameplay, and a strong delivery of awesome. The voice acting is top spot. The characters are all well written and fleshed out so you believe you're exploring a living changing galaxy. The gameplay is, of course, AWESOME. Every button press is awesome. I can imagine how terrified the Blizzard offices were when they heard the RPG powerhouse Bioware was stepping into the mmo territory and this game justifies those fears. Watch out Blizzard, this game is full of AWESOME and you might find yourself in the number 2 spot after this holiday season. >: ) Expand
  18. Dec 20, 2011
    This MMO (and yes, it DEFINITELY IS an MMO, not some single player solo fest as many are making out) is just beautiful. This isn't a biased review per say, it's just an honest one from a guy whos thoroughly enjoying his time playing this title. A guy who's having more fun in an MMO than he has for a VERY long time.

I'd like to express my utter disgust at the slanderous reviews a lot

I'd like to express my utter disgust at the slanderous reviews a lot of children are leaving about this game here. No doubt, like many others here have pointed out, that the majority leaving these low scores drank the imaginary koolaid and believed TOR was going to knock off their beloved World of Warcraft from it's throne. The single worst thing about WoW was not that playing it got so repetitive, it's the community Blizzard created. The decent, objective players in WoW are drowned out by a generation of "WANT IT ALL, WANT IT NOW" types, the instant gratification culture, the empire of trolls and hate slingers. These people don't like change or some a "bit different" and when they get it they'll swarm and multiply and band together to launch an offensive. My advice to you, dear reader, is to dismiss the majority of reviews that give the game a zero score on here and just try the game (if you haven't bought it yet, wait for a trial, naturally!).

So, as there is a virtual tsunami of it going on here on Metacritic, let's get the necessary WoW comparison commentary out of the way shall we? TOR is nothing like WoW aside from taking very obvious ideas from it. Ideas that WoW itself has and continues to have taken from it's predecessors and "successors". The standard "Take Mission, Do this, Return" is there (I've encountered a minimal "Kill x amount of mobs" missions though, thankfully!) but of course they're going to be there. The standard MMO stereotypes are there and you'll find yourself harking back to the likes of WoW numerous times because lets face it WoW set the standard, it's the very benchmark we and indeed game developers use. Rightly so though because WoW has done it well. That being said, TOR takes all that stuff and fires from the hip. It DOES do loads of things differently and HAS attempted to break out of that same ole model that so many MMO's take.

There are simply too many things to list about the game, so I'm just going to take a few things that are glaringly important for me and will keep it brief.

TOR has single best ENVIRONMENT / WORLD graphics of any MMO to date. Bioware opted for a more cartoon-like design when dealing with characters/npc's but they don't look bad (Small thing, Twi'leks look far more detailed/cleaner than most of the other avatars for some reason - For me, anyway). Some have likened it to the Clone Wars but I'd say the Clone Wars are a bit more child-like compared to TOR. Am I a fan of the character designer? No, I'm not. But I anticipate (as do a great many other players of TOR) that we will see an improvement over character design and customisation at a later date. That said, this doesn't apply to the world environments and you've just got to take a look at planets such as Nar Shaddaa or Coruscant to see this - Absolutely mind blowing.

Combat is quite unique for an MMO of this calibre. In the past I've found that MMO's or wannabe MMO's that have gone for the button mashing approach (and TOR is this) have failed horribly from the offset or it's just felt false, almost too mechanical and has put a bad taste in my mouth straight away. TOR is NOT like this. You feel absolutely in control of your character, combat is utterly responsive and it just works flawlessly (I've tried 4 of the classes thus far, levelled to a minimum of 10, level 50 on 1 of them - Beta and up to level 35 on my single live char now). There is no auto-attack, there is skill and it just all feels a lot more involved.

Instancing is made use of throughout but it's not an obvious instancing (for the most part, anyway). You'll encounter a green "wall" at the entrance or sub-sections of public player zones and this is an indicator you are entering your own private play zone. Upon entering, you're in. That's it. No loading screen, cut scenes (mostly), just smooth in and done. Lovely. Instancing is cleverly made use of throughout. If you're a SWG player (the definitive sandbox title), and there are quite a few of us out there, you'll not necessarily be disappointed (due to the scale of the planets/environments in TOR and indeed the wealth of SW lore) but bear in mind TOR isn't a Sandbox, it is fairly linear in respect of missions/quests (same as WoW, AoC etc.) but not so much so you feel like you are walking the path of every other player on the server.

I could spend another 10 minutes writing more but I'm not going to. 5k character limit prevents me. If you love Star Wars, want a different experience than other MMO's and dig a good community feel - SW:TOR is worthy.
  19. Dec 20, 2011
    I give this game an A+. I have been searching for an MMO that would hold my attention and SWTOR is a game full of "Win". Don't let the negative reviews hold you back. Buy the game and see for yourself. SWTOR won't let you down.
  20. Dec 20, 2011
    My experience with SWTOR is a Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer up to level 31. The gameplay was enjoyable, I loved the music, and the option to make everything much more difficult by leaving your companion behind. The story for the Inquisitor is exceptional. I did several flashpoints, which were very interesting, and each one a challenge to my ability to heal. I enjoyed my attempts at PvP, despiteMy experience with SWTOR is a Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer up to level 31. The gameplay was enjoyable, I loved the music, and the option to make everything much more difficult by leaving your companion behind. The story for the Inquisitor is exceptional. I did several flashpoints, which were very interesting, and each one a challenge to my ability to heal. I enjoyed my attempts at PvP, despite not winning usually. All in all, it seems a very well put together game. The only thing that keeps it from a 10 in my view is the instancing keeping people separated up. It makes the world feel empty. Expand
  21. Dec 20, 2011
    Please do not listen to most of these 0-4 raters because most of them never actually played the game, they simply are wow fanbois who come here to hate on a new MMO, before rating this or hating on this try it out, Not going to lie and say its the best of all time but certainly holds my interest a hell of alot more then wow did, and leveling is actually FUN no walls of text. Sure there arePlease do not listen to most of these 0-4 raters because most of them never actually played the game, they simply are wow fanbois who come here to hate on a new MMO, before rating this or hating on this try it out, Not going to lie and say its the best of all time but certainly holds my interest a hell of alot more then wow did, and leveling is actually FUN no walls of text. Sure there are bugs and features we would like to see fixed/added but what mmo doesn't especially at launch. Overall a great game and you should definitely give it a shot. Expand
  22. Dec 20, 2011
    I don't normally take the time to vote but lets be serious here. This extremely small number of users does not represent the hundreds of thousands playing. Odds are the ones enjoying the game are not going to take the time to come here and vote for the game unless of course they, like me, saw somebody suggesting the game was poor based upon 200 people's opinions.

Well here's mine: This

Well here's mine:

This game is amazing.

K thx.
  23. Dec 20, 2011
    Excellent game all around. This is the first MMO I've actually been engrossed by! Each class (of which there is eight) has 200 hours of story quests attached to it, and the quests themselves are engaging and objective-based. You won't spend hours killing random NPCs to level, you level through character-developing quests where you make the decisions on how to proceed. The combat is slickExcellent game all around. This is the first MMO I've actually been engrossed by! Each class (of which there is eight) has 200 hours of story quests attached to it, and the quests themselves are engaging and objective-based. You won't spend hours killing random NPCs to level, you level through character-developing quests where you make the decisions on how to proceed. The combat is slick and well-paced; you need to use strategy to succeed. Combat is not too slow, but not too fast that you get destroyed in a minute. The environments are lush, well-built and HUGE. One planet (Coruscant) is so big that I could spend all day there and still not have everything explored. Other planets are similarly large.

In terms of bugs, I haven't run into any. This is surprising for such a new MMO.

I'm also a big PvP fan, and the PvP matches are objective-based which is amazing. Instead of just mindlessly killing everyone, you have to work together as a team to complete objectives. So as far as I'm concerned, this game succeeds on all counts.
  24. Dec 20, 2011
    Bioware do not disappoint. WoW fanboys are just taking a break from bashing Blizzard and are bashing the greatest current threat to their beloved universe. I am a former WoW fanboy, converted by SWTOR. This game is amazing. First, to combat previous critics: Zones are in 2 instances, you can jump between them freely. The purpose of these is to prevent 400 people in one zone stealing yourBioware do not disappoint. WoW fanboys are just taking a break from bashing Blizzard and are bashing the greatest current threat to their beloved universe. I am a former WoW fanboy, converted by SWTOR. This game is amazing. First, to combat previous critics: Zones are in 2 instances, you can jump between them freely. The purpose of these is to prevent 400 people in one zone stealing your mobs: instead there are 200. Cities etc are not instanced. Server queues are only present because it's launch like ANY OTHER mmo. Infact, unlike WoW launch or other games these servers are not lagging or crashing. Top job Bioware.

Combat is insanely fun in this game. In WoW combat was the same every time, in SWTOR it's dynamic and varies. Mobs have different levels of difficulty, identifiable by the colour graphic around their portrait and 'Strong', 'Elite', 'Champion' texts. The vast majority of items can be traded before bound, and items can be modified to update stats to retain the look of your gear if you so choose.

Great game, check it out yourself.
  25. Dec 20, 2011
    Very fun, fast paced game. Great questing, fantastic voice-acting, plenty to do in a game that promised a true Star Wars MMO experience and delivers. Not without minor problems (like any launch month MMO), but most polished game to come along since World of Warcraft in 2004. SWTOR is most definitely worth the box price and subscription investment. Very much recommended.
  26. Dec 20, 2011
    Bioware makes great games. There is no denying that. The attention to story and immersion is unparalleled in this industry. I was hooked since Neverwinter Nights. Now with an MMO they have raised the bar. Voice Dialogue not just for the main quest but every little itty bitty one as well. Now they were bought out by EA games and this being the most expensive video game ever produced, thereBioware makes great games. There is no denying that. The attention to story and immersion is unparalleled in this industry. I was hooked since Neverwinter Nights. Now with an MMO they have raised the bar. Voice Dialogue not just for the main quest but every little itty bitty one as well. Now they were bought out by EA games and this being the most expensive video game ever produced, there were obvious corners that were cut. Lack of character customization chief among them. Obviously in order to push for a launch before the end of the year, there are no wookies or complicated playable races in the game.

During the beta, one of my favorite features was wearing a hood over a mask. This was taken out amongst other features due to bugs which apprently couldn't be fixed for launch. Here's to hoping they get put back in soon. An important attribute in a MMO is player vs player and this is limited to where you can find the other faction, which literally feels like small corners on each planet. The Warzones (Equivalent of battlegrounds in similar MMO's) number under 5 as of launch and is ok but definitely lacking more content and a real fun factor. Overall, the game is great one. Some of the best games immerse you in them, much like a good movie does. The story line for most classes drives the game and holds it up amongst any negatives. In the original Kotor, Jeremy Soule's music immersed you into a world you could not even imagine. His haunting rhythm on the same level as the excellent story. I was sad to see him not a part of this. It's also sad that the music it does have, does not play enough throughout the game. I am giving it a 10 because it has the potential to be a 10 once some of the many features removed for the launch are ultimately restored.
  27. Ama
    Dec 20, 2011
    I can't believe the vitriol out there. Reviews of 0? I just can't believe that people can rate this 0, but I guess haters will always be haters.

My experience has been stellar. The entry to the game is stable, I've never been disconnected nor has the game ever crashed for me. The gameplay itself is fun (shooting lightning from fingertips is just fantastic) and the Story is unbelievable. An avid MMO'er myself, I have found myself slowing down to listen to all the story. It is an incredibly immersive and moving experience which I found to be really, really fun. I recommend everybody to try it out, if you have ever enjoyed a star wars movie, this is one to get.
  28. Dec 20, 2011
    I'm rather shocked to see so many negative reviews here. I've been loving the game so far (playing it since Early Access), and all the friends with which I'm playing seem to be having a blast as well. I admit that it started off a bit slow, and the graphics threw me off at first, but the quests became more involving as the game went on, IMO, and by the time I reached Coruscant, I wasI'm rather shocked to see so many negative reviews here. I've been loving the game so far (playing it since Early Access), and all the friends with which I'm playing seem to be having a blast as well. I admit that it started off a bit slow, and the graphics threw me off at first, but the quests became more involving as the game went on, IMO, and by the time I reached Coruscant, I was hooked.

I suppose combat is similar to WoW, but that's not a turn-off for me (I'm still a semi-hardcore raider) -- your mileage may vary, of course. Honestly, I don't really care about the combat at this point. It might be an issue at end-game once I've run out of quests, but that's a long way off. What I love is the sense of immersion, of wonder while running through the avenues of Coruscant, uncertainty while wrestling with one of the game's many moral dilemmas, cheer when sauntering into a cantina with trippy music and pole-dancing girls. I love the companion system, which adds an extra level to each dialogue choice, since every companion has their own personalities and value systems and will pass judgment on your decisions according to them. I love the crafting system, which allows me to do something constructive even when I'm idling in a city, alt-tabbed out or chatting in Vent.

Is the game perfect? No. I would like to see more NPCs to interact with -- not quest-givers (I already feel like there are almost too many quests), just people that might spout off a random, hilarious line or two, same as in the Dragon Age/Baldur's Gate series or, of course, my beloved Planescape: Torment. I'd like some more humor in the quests and companion banter, although perhaps I've been shooting myself in the foot by playing an ultra goody-two-shoes Jedi; I really enjoy grouping with less determinedly virtuous friends and listening to the responses they can toss out without losing my own Light Side points.

I'm only about a third of the way through my first character playthrough so far, so I can't guarantee that the bloom will last, but thus far, I feel like the game is giving me a really solid single-player experience while also allowing me to reap the benefits of grouping with friends (dungeons aren't scary anymore! I don't have to micro-manage every member of my party, or worry about their pathing, or about them running ahead bravely to get themselves killed!)

I appreciate that others clearly didn't find what they were looking for in SW:TOR, but I've just been getting so much enjoyment out of the game, it's ridiculous, and that's with the core game as it stands -- the thought of what updates and expansions can do for this world makes my heart go pitter-pat.
  29. Dec 20, 2011
    I would like to address the frequent complaints I have read that "SWTOR is unambitious in its gameplay." Firstly, to blame a game for adopting an existing archetype is patently absurd. Infact I can think of no (major) game that is largely derivative of legacy titles. WoW borrowed from Everquest, which borrowed from Ultima and so-on. The fact that combat in SWTOR is similar to WoW is onlyI would like to address the frequent complaints I have read that "SWTOR is unambitious in its gameplay." Firstly, to blame a game for adopting an existing archetype is patently absurd. Infact I can think of no (major) game that is largely derivative of legacy titles. WoW borrowed from Everquest, which borrowed from Ultima and so-on. The fact that combat in SWTOR is similar to WoW is only symptomatic of the genre itself, not necessarily of any intellectual laziness on the part of Bioware. Conversely I would argue that SWTOR is perhaps one of the MOST ambitious MMOs to date. Integrating single player continuity with MMO social structure has never been done before, and SWTOR accomplishes it beautifully. Let alone fully voice acting the entire 1000+ hours of content is completely unheard of for an MMO! After coming off of my first day of SWTOR I feel vindicated with my decision to purchase it so early. Not only is the storyline engrossing, but the combat, UI, and metagame were better than any game I've seen to date. Those of you who dislike the conventions of MMORPGs should not be surprised when you encounter the same archetypes of play in SWTOR. If you do not enjoy leveling, min-maxing, or instancing than I would not recommend SWTOR to you. As with any MMO there is a degree of grind, but I believe Bioware has done its utmost to eliminate the drugery of grind with engaging storylines. Ultimately SWTOR is a spiritual successor to the philosophies of bioware's first Star Wars IP: KOTOR, but placed within the conventions of a modern MMORPG. A fantastic purchase, I have no doubt I will be playing this game for many months to come. Expand
  30. Dec 20, 2011
    The voice acting is the best I've heard in any game... ever, actually. Maybe I don't play that many games!

I picked up copies for myself and a friend, we're having a blast. Cinematics are good enough to impress my wife, so I think it earns a 10 on that alone. Anything that'll avoid the wifes' wrath gets a 10 in my book.
  31. Dec 22, 2011
    First off & most important of all is to not listen to the blatant trolling/game bashing by the upset Wow community players out there! I was lucky enough to be involved in the beta last year and have already been involved with game since the early access began on the 13th & I can confidently say without any hesitation that this game is fantastic! Yes of course that are a few minor issuesFirst off & most important of all is to not listen to the blatant trolling/game bashing by the upset Wow community players out there! I was lucky enough to be involved in the beta last year and have already been involved with game since the early access began on the 13th & I can confidently say without any hesitation that this game is fantastic! Yes of course that are a few minor issues here & there but that's to be expected at launch - these will of course be addressed in good time, no doubt along with adjustments following player feedback. But if your looking for a MMO with a deep, rich narrative, some fantastic voice acting & interesting quests then look no further. This game simply oozes class & is everything I had hoped for from a Star Wars game. Leave the Wow players to troll all they like, this game will shine brightly despite some of the **** being written here. Pick it up, you wont be disappointed :) Expand
  32. Dec 21, 2011
    Sadly alot of these comments people are posting are people that are having either bad experience with Customer support and are raging their anger off here... Real constructive critique is not really their strong points but alot of them are oldtime WoW players that have a blind eye.

So since the majority of these guys cannot do a proper score review and just select the 0 or 1-3 because they are to lazy to objectively review the game. guys you all need something else to do go away from metacritic your useless :)

To the game:

The game has a sound story line for all classes making questing and leveling a complete diffrent experience while still offering the same old objectives (kill x amount of that on place y) . Customization, crafting and many other areas need work or players just have not explored deep enough into these yet to have a sound conclusion.

So far the games release has been stable (dont think the whiners are the majority) with a few hiccups but nothing major. Because of this ill give the game a 10 just to give weight against all the retards voting rediculous low just cause they are WoW Fanbois.
  33. Dec 21, 2011
    - Graphics: Ok. not great, but OK. Some zones really are gorgeous, others, not that much.
    - Character customization: Below average... We want more!
    - Character customization: Below average... We want more!
    - Story line, questing: Amazing. This is truly where the game shines. I have NEVER been so immersed, and it really IS hard to disconnect every night, because I really want to see more of the story. Besides, cut scenes and dialogues for EVERY quests is just great. The choices you have to make "a la" mass effect / kotor my not change the outcome of the dialogue (except for the dark/like choices) but it just feels much more like a "real" conversation. Dialogues in groups are awesome imo. BUT, if you're not the type of player who likes to listen to an NPC, you might not like it, because it's everywhere. So, as I read below, you will feel like "loosing" some time. Well it's a matter of opinion. I don't feel that way because I LOVE it. But I can understand that some ppl won't. Moreover, it has a feel of epic, right from the start. First time I feel that way in an MMO. "What? Seriously? Come on, where are my ten wolves to kill?"
    - Combat PvE: Feels more dynamic than wow (I play a tanking Sith assassin ), even if it is similar: GCD, CDs, ultimate skill every 20/30 minutes... they are all here. But the simple fact that there is no auto attack makes it more dynamic. You have to click on something for your toon to do something. As a sith assassin, there are A LOT of different skills you have to use at the right time, and some fights can be pretty intense (provided you're not 10 lvl over the quest). The fact that there are a lot of packs of mobs gives you a feel of epicness: You're not struggling with a strong mob. You're struggling with a bunch of medium mobs, which feels better.
    - Combat PvP: As a tank, I like the "taunt" feature, which makes your target do 30% less damage to everyone except you. Other than that, as for the "battlegrounds", nothing really new (it's nicely done though). The fact that the player's level isn't important in battlegrounds is nice.
    - Space combat: Nice rail shooting mini games, with a real star wars feel. Nice thing to do every once in a while. But space combat could be improved I think. I would love group and pvp fights, not in "rail" mode, in addition to what's already there. The fact that you can customize your ship with equipment, like your character or companion is a plus.
    - Group stuff: Nice. Bonus when grouped, social points earned which gives you access to specific stuff (mostly cosmetic, but not only)
    - Navigation: The map is really great, and clear. Even when grouped. Objectives are easy to find (that may be a downside for some of you ;)). - Auction house aka Galactic market: Could be improved. The UI does its job, but it's rough, and a few additions could be usefull. - UI: While good, it should be less "rigid". Checking for procs and CDs is a bit painfull as it draws your attention out of the action, for example. - Client and bugs: quite stable. Some players reported a few crashes in some specific zones that (should) have been fixed with the last patch. I'm level 30 and didn't see any game breaking bug (once, I had to restart a quest I could not validate, that's all)

Overall, while being a little disappointed at first with the graphics/customization, the more I play, the more I feel attracted to it. A lot of nice ideas make a lot of little improvements, which make the game better than others imo. The fully voiced over quests are THE improvement (if you are into that, obviously). There is room for a LOT of great stuff (space combat!!) to come. Re-rolling is eased since the class story line are really nicely done. If you're in to star wars, ans liked kotor/ME games and stories (i.e. you actually enjoy listening to them) then it's your game. If you're more into rushing max level and then grind some stuff for your toon, it might not be the best option for you. For me? I have a BLAST and I'm enjoying every minute of it :)
  34. Dec 21, 2011
    If you go in to this expecting it to be like galaxies you will be highly disappointed. This game has more star wars feel to it than galaxies ever had I love this game.
  35. Dec 21, 2011
    This is, without a doubt, the most fun I have had playing a video game in quite a long time. The few bugs i have encountered are going to be easily fixable.
  36. Dec 21, 2011
    As can be seen from the spectrum of scores for this game, it's one of those things you either love or hate. Personally, I fall into the first category and believe this to be the embodiment of everything that I could have ever wished for from a Star Wars MMO. Yes, comparisons can be made to WoW...as well as many other MMOs...but the same goes for almost any new MMORPG on the market. JustAs can be seen from the spectrum of scores for this game, it's one of those things you either love or hate. Personally, I fall into the first category and believe this to be the embodiment of everything that I could have ever wished for from a Star Wars MMO. Yes, comparisons can be made to WoW...as well as many other MMOs...but the same goes for almost any new MMORPG on the market. Just because the game reminds of you another one, doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad, in fact it can mean the complete opposite, as with SWTOR, which takes elements from other games and upon combining them surpasses them. As is said, the student has now become the master. The fact that the game is fully voiced greatly adds to its appeal and makes it much more playable and enjoyable. The companion system is perfect and the character progression is well paced. Even during the common 'kill this' or 'fetch this' quests, the game remains interesting as one is always given multiple options during dialogue sequences. All in all, SWTOR is my favorite RPG to date and does so many things right that all of its minor flaws can be overlooked. I know which game I'll be playing several years from now. Expand
  37. Dec 21, 2011
    Bioware did an amazing job creating TOR. The story drags you into the world (based on the experience of trooper and agent) and you just have to go on to know how the the world evolves. Being a huge fan of Mass Effect I think the implementation of the dialogue system very good. Spoken dialogues throughout the whole game! And the thing that amazes me most is the absence of any boring monsterBioware did an amazing job creating TOR. The story drags you into the world (based on the experience of trooper and agent) and you just have to go on to know how the the world evolves. Being a huge fan of Mass Effect I think the implementation of the dialogue system very good. Spoken dialogues throughout the whole game! And the thing that amazes me most is the absence of any boring monster grinding. Apart from some weaknesses in the character creation progress this game is absolutely top. Expand
  38. Dec 21, 2011
    A very good MMORPG in my opinion. Storyline's are excellent and bring a nice change.
    Character creation options are sometimes lacking, and it seems that leveling might be a tad fast for my experience, keeping this from a perfect score, but beyond that very good indeed.
  39. Dec 21, 2011
    Without exception, the old republic is the most impressive MMO i have ever played. With an intense story line unique to each class containing both the feel of the star wars universe and the experience which makes each Bioware game a masterpiece, TOR takes you to places no other MMO could ever hope to take you. Breaking away from the bland, unexciting and monotonus grind fest experienceWithout exception, the old republic is the most impressive MMO i have ever played. With an intense story line unique to each class containing both the feel of the star wars universe and the experience which makes each Bioware game a masterpiece, TOR takes you to places no other MMO could ever hope to take you. Breaking away from the bland, unexciting and monotonus grind fest experience games like world of warcraft replicate over and over again, the old republic actually has depth, story line, and a sound track which really just adds to the appreciation one SHOULD feel when playing an MMO. With very little issues during launch, and 5 x the amount of early subscribers at launch date than WoW, the old republic is well on its way to becoming one of the best MMO's you will ever play. This is truely an MMO as it should be, crew interactions with your partner characters give the game personality which many who have played KOTOR will be familiar with, exciting space battles and a vast map of planets to explore give this game an intense open world feel. Don't listen to the world of warcraft nay sayers, if you're a fan of star wars or even if you're just looking for a decent MMO for a change, pick this game up and you won't regret it. Expand
  40. Dec 21, 2011
    I think this game is brilliant. It has some bugs and some fixes are needed, but overall, it is polished and will get even better with time. The problem with a free critic site is that ActBlizz can pay people to come post here. A lot of the reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Go try the game yourself - it's worth the story and journey it conveys!

People clamor for innovation,

People clamor for innovation, as they expected Bioware to re-invent the wheel. They never once said that is what they were trying for. A lot of people had unrealistic expectations. If you want to have a fun game where Star Wars thrives, this is the game for you.
  41. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is awesome!
    It's a fantastic experience. Especially that it allows you to have a very solid single player experience in a MMO game. WoW eat your heart out. It's everything WoW is in a better setting and just a bit better in many ways.
  42. Dec 21, 2011
    I've been playing this game for about a week now. The things I like most is grouping with other people. There is something called Heroics scattered around the world, where you group with another person and I find these really fun. There is also a longer grouping subgame called Flashpoints. I have only done one of them so far called the Black Talon and I thought it was really done one, andI've been playing this game for about a week now. The things I like most is grouping with other people. There is something called Heroics scattered around the world, where you group with another person and I find these really fun. There is also a longer grouping subgame called Flashpoints. I have only done one of them so far called the Black Talon and I thought it was really done one, and it is fun how the story changes slightly by choosing different options during the cut scenes.

I would definitely recommend this game, well worth the price.
  43. Dec 21, 2011
    It's funny how critics are praising this game and sore WoW faithfuls are mocking it because they fear the power of the Dark Side. This game is not a WoW clone. It's an entirely different entity in itself. Naturally it has aspects of WoW but EVERY MMO will. The fact is: WoW fans are scared that their reign at the top of the MMO world may soon be coming to an end.

How can WoW compete

How can WoW compete with the vast lore and rich story telling that can only come from the Star Wars Universe? How can it compete with Space missions and space battles, planet hopping, brave and cunning Jedi Masters, ruthless and powerful Sith Lords, and quirky droid companions? How can it compete with a fanbase that has existed for over 30 years! It can't, so naturally, the WoW faithful are scared. Their is a new player in town and these gamers have to get over it and accept that they had a run like no other game in history, but it is time to pass the torch. Better game play, graphics, an epic soundtrack, and great mechanics.
  44. Dec 21, 2011
    Star Wars the Old Republic brings a polish and refinement we expect from a Star Wars product. I've been playing from day one of early access and the game has been living up to my expectations. I find myself caring about quest objectives unlike in other games. I find the class stories to be interesting and well written. Most of the minor wants I have (like guild banks) are things theyStar Wars the Old Republic brings a polish and refinement we expect from a Star Wars product. I've been playing from day one of early access and the game has been living up to my expectations. I find myself caring about quest objectives unlike in other games. I find the class stories to be interesting and well written. Most of the minor wants I have (like guild banks) are things they promise to address down the road. It is an ambitious game, and for me it has been well worth the money spent. I look forward to seeing it evolve. I would recommend this game to anyone who wants a fun star wars game. Expand
  45. Dec 21, 2011
    I posted the Top Ten Reasons That Star Wars: The Old Republic is My WoW Killer in a Cracked-style article that can be found here:

46. Dec 21, 2011
    Incredibly fun with engaging story that drives you to play additional characters, the game also include mechanics that make it actually enjoyable to play as a casual player rather than someone who plays several hours a day on a rigid schedule. Playing in groups is a great dynamic, and the social options for conversations make the groups even more engaging. There is a distinct lack ofIncredibly fun with engaging story that drives you to play additional characters, the game also include mechanics that make it actually enjoyable to play as a casual player rather than someone who plays several hours a day on a rigid schedule. Playing in groups is a great dynamic, and the social options for conversations make the groups even more engaging. There is a distinct lack of sandboxing, but considering that before the NGE the chief complaint among SWG players was the lack of content, it takes a conscious effort to not understand why BioWare chose to go the complete opposite direction. This game is ALL content. Storylines and conversations are fun and the voice acting is fantastic.

As someone who never enjoyed WOW or EVE or AOC, this game has me completely addicted.
  47. Dec 21, 2011
    Easily the best MMO since WoW. It takes the tried and true formula that dates all the way back to EQ and DAOC, that was refined by WoW and other games, mixes in a couple of new features from MMOs like Rift (AOE looting, anyone?), meshes all of that into BioWares trademark single player dialogue, tacks on Star Wars, and equals amazing. The game has a few kinks yet to work out, but theEasily the best MMO since WoW. It takes the tried and true formula that dates all the way back to EQ and DAOC, that was refined by WoW and other games, mixes in a couple of new features from MMOs like Rift (AOE looting, anyone?), meshes all of that into BioWares trademark single player dialogue, tacks on Star Wars, and equals amazing. The game has a few kinks yet to work out, but the issues I have with it are pretty minor.

If you're looking for SWG2, don't bother, because this isn't it. If you where expecting SWG2, you have apparently been hiding under a rock for the past several years, as BioWare made it clear that this wasn't going to be SWG2. The worlds are all incredibly immersive and beautifully crafted. The stories, both world and class, are very well written. The PVP is fantastic, especially when you work as a team and get things done (pass the ball!). RPing comes easy, not only because so many people are familiar with Star Wars, but because the game lends itself to it. For me, this is the perfect theme park MMO.
  48. Dec 21, 2011
    The amount of negativity I see is staggering and honestly very unsettling. Many of the reviews are not only unfair, they seem written by people who have either never played a MMORPG before or actively find reasons to complain and give low scores.

A lot of people come off a previous Star Wars game, Star Wars Galaxies which was a totally different monster - it was a "sandbox game" which for those who don't know the terminology means a game that you can make your own. You could build a virtual city and live in it. Make a store and sell things. The worlds were huge and empty and built for players to create their *own* community. TOR is not a "sandbox game" - However it is the next evolution of the the online Star Wars genre. TOR takes the best aspects of several MMORPGs and combines them to create a totally new yet familiar beast. For example, some people are complaining at the lack of options during character creation. This game has a ton more choices then another successful game, World of Warcraft. That game has one body choice. TOR has 4. Then you get to the face and have a vast number of choices to craft your avatars face.

Tor is like a corvette with a custom engine. They researched many of the things that "worked" in multiple MMORPG's, tweaked it, and improved upon it!

The most amazing aspect of the game is the storytelling - not only is it all voiced (which is mind boggling), every storyline is well written and makes my experience in TOR one of the best I've had online. You have the potential to play through EIGHT different storylines (4 Sith Empire and 4 Republic) and you can also play a male or female character (with its own voice).

The game adds something I have not seen before in any game - Flashpoints! Flashpoints are missions that are performed in a group and offer conversation choices that each player has a chance to chose. Once chosen, virtual dice are thrown and whoever gets the highest roll is the response the game uses! It makes for some very exciting and fun roleplaying (even if you aren't a roleplayer!) where the attitude of the party (and sometimes the story) changes as you make your way through the Flashpoint. At one point we had a choice to kill an important character or allow that character to live! Hope you roll high!

Anyway, this game is amazing and the launch was one of the smoothest launches I have seen for an MMORPG in years. The developers promise tons of updates and with the money they are making with the successful launch of TOR and I believe they will deliver.

Finally, despite the negative online responses here, there is a VAST majority who are having a blast with TOR and are currently playing the game as opposed to the very vocal minority that has found a soapbox to stand on and complain.
  49. Dec 21, 2011
    This is an excellent game. The storyline as you're questing is as good as any singe player RPG I've ever played, certainly a deeper plot than any of the Elder Scrolls games. The worlds and characters are unique and vibrant, truly immersing you in the Star Wars universe. When you play this game, you will feel like you are part of Star Wars.

While there are only four character classes for

While there are only four character classes for each faction, the "ability trees" available give you a much greater difference than WoW. Going from one tree to the next completely changes how you play the class, giving you a different experience with each configuration that you try.

Character creation isn't quite as deep as some games out there. That said, it is much deeper than the game that everyone is comparing it to, WoW. One must also bear in mind that the more you allow customization of characters, the more cutbacks you need to make elsewhere. 4 body types and up to 32 different faces, hairstyles, etc is much more than most games on the market. It's just not quite City of Heroes worthy.

The controls are very responsive in this game and the animations are truly fluid. Combat has a faster pace than the original trilogy. Blaster battles seem epic and lightsaber combat is as good as the Jedi Knight series.

While this game does have a couple of bugs, mostly with stairs, I have never once played an MMO that did not have a couple of kinks in the beginning. I dropped the cash for the Collector's Edition and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I've been waiting on this game for several years now and it has exceeded my expectations. In response to instances, it cuts back on server lag and makes leveling easier. If you're in "Kaas City 1" and your friend is in "Kaas City 2" then it literally takes less than 10 seconds for one person to switch to the other. Maybe the other reviewers would like to see so much traffic that the quest givers are no longer visible.
  50. Dec 21, 2011
    I'm a level 40 and I can't understand some of the reviews on this site but each to there own. This game in my mind is fantastic. The story is so impressive, the combat is so much fun to watch even after 40 levels as well as engaging. I feel engrossed in the world and love playing warzones and can't wait to see what Ilum has in store. Are there things I would like to see in game like a moreI'm a level 40 and I can't understand some of the reviews on this site but each to there own. This game in my mind is fantastic. The story is so impressive, the combat is so much fun to watch even after 40 levels as well as engaging. I feel engrossed in the world and love playing warzones and can't wait to see what Ilum has in store. Are there things I would like to see in game like a more PVP focused Space system, Guild Functionality and much more character customization, YES. However Bioware have clearly stated they are working on this right now and some of those things will be coming very soon. They need to deliver but the game is 3 days old and it has a ton of content out of the gate.

For an MMO launch its been exceptional beyond some queue issues which are common at every MMO launch as people rush to the same servers that are over populated rather than spread out as well as a small issue on one planet causing a memory leak. there has been hardly any systemic issues if any that i have seen.

I can't wait for this game to evolve and what the future brings.
  51. Dec 21, 2011
    SW: TOR is a very formidable adventure/theme park MMORPG, with a lot of polish and a great sense of atmosphere. If you enjoy games like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, or Rift, and you love Star Wars, then TOR is a no-brainer. Bioware has taken elements of their best-selling single-player games and brought them into the MMORPG landscape, with great success. Gone are theSW: TOR is a very formidable adventure/theme park MMORPG, with a lot of polish and a great sense of atmosphere. If you enjoy games like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, or Rift, and you love Star Wars, then TOR is a no-brainer. Bioware has taken elements of their best-selling single-player games and brought them into the MMORPG landscape, with great success. Gone are the days of reading walls of text, and now there are interactive discussions that help shape your character and tell a complete story, on par with most singleplayer games. There hasn't been a benchmark in the industry like this since the WoW juggernaut and if the smooth Early Access Launch is any indication, Bioware is going to be a top MMORPG developer for years to come. Expand
  52. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is great. The combat system is fun and the story driven game play is entertaining. This game is what I have been waiting for.

Great job Bioware.
  53. Dec 21, 2011
    Best launch of any MMO in history!!! Unlike WOW and so many others, there was no server crashing on release day.

This game is in keeping with Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) made by the same publisher. If you liked Mass Effect 1 and 2 plus looking forward to ME3 or if you enjoyed the KOTOR games, then you'll enjoy this game. Despite what people what say, this is a full fledge MMO. Unlike the negative reviewers that NEVER PLAYED THE GAME, or if they did just for a short time, I was a Closed Beta Tester and I've been playing the game for more than 6 months. During Beta, I ran several character up into the 30s and 40s. As veteran MMO player, I've played EQ, WOW, Warhammer, plus many more. This game is solid and worth playing. Yes it is potentially an WOW killer. This game should do to WOW what it did to EQ.

Here is some basic info on the game and review of some mechanics.

Servers -- This is a true MMO. (The idiot MagusGrandios, below, stating the each zone is instanced is false.) Generally, there is only one area which is what you will experience 90% of the time. There is a possibility of "server sharding" which is similar to WOW-phasing. This only happens when there is a huge number of people in one area. During beta stress weekends, this only happened in the newbie zones (first two planets) and I never saw it anywhere else. The sharding is to lower lag. For example, instead of seeing all 200 people in a zone, you'll only physically see 100 but you can still hear and talk to everyone. Otherwise, this is much like any other MMO. Travel is what you would expect. You get your first speeder at level 25, second upgrade around level 40. Until then you can "sprint", quick travel (a teleport, which everyone has access to), or use a taxi to fly from one area to another. Plus you get your ship around level 18 that allows you to fly between planets and participate in space combat.

Classes - There are 4 basic or archtype classes for the first 10 levels, then you break out into one of two Advanced Class or AC. 8 total classes. Each class has 3 trees. One tree is always DPS and the other PVP/Utility. The third tree is considered the "advanced class defining" tree. (In WOW terms, the Shadow-Priest is a DPS tree that makes the priest like a mage, but it is the healing tree that defines the class.) There are 3 tanks, 3 healers, and 2 dedicated DPS advanced classes, albeit all 8 classes can DPS in thier DPS tree. The classes are relatively balanced.

Companion -- One very cool feature is that EVERYONE is a pet class. Companions have thier own skills and ability bars that you can customize to your needs. Over the game you will get around 5 character (6 if you count your ship droid). Each companion represents a archtype of melee tank, melee dps, ranged tank, ranged dps, and healer. You get a new companion about every 5-8 levels starting at level 8. You can only use one companion in combat at a time. The other companions can be sent on non combat activities which can range from crafting (armsmech, armstech, cybertech, etc.) to missions (investigation, diplomacy, etc.) to component gathering (salvaging, bioanalysis, slicing, etc.)

PVE & Grouping -- This game utilizes a basic 4 man grouping system. If you have less than 4 players, then companions can fill the wholes. Thus two players can each have a companion and make a four man group. There is basic content that is 1 or 2 person oriented. Plus there are 2 man Heroics, 4 man Heroics, and Flashpoints. End game raiding requires 16 man groups. The game features all of the looting features you've come to expect from an MMO.

PVP & Battlegrounds -- The game features world PVP on PVP servers plus Battlegrounds on all severs. The Battlegrounds rely upon scenarios. If you've played Warhammer, then must of this will be familiar. Warhammer was one of the best PVP oriented MMOs, and this is the same developer.

Crafting -- Crafting is different than most games. You are not the crafter but it is a skill set shared by your whole crew. Thus making a set of armor takes time. You go on missions while you leave your companions at the ship making armor. Companions can also be sent on gathering missions to get you the items you need. Companions can also go on missions which can receive rewards such as materials or schematics that are useful in crafting. Very smooth system. I currently have an Armstech/Scalvaging/Investigations character with the skills in the 170-200 range.

Guild System -- The guild pre-launch program was flawless. For pre-existing guilds, they were organized pre-release and automatically added to their guild at launch. There are a few incoming features, such as guild bank, that is supposed to be included in the first patch.
  54. Dec 21, 2011
    I am absolutely enthralled by this game. I love how story-driven it is, and how at several points during a quest chain, you have to make moral decisions and judgement calls that affect your own character's story progression. On a technical side, I think that the game play is very intuitive (I am an enthusiastic but not exactly pro gamer, having mostly played World of Warcraft, Dragon Age,I am absolutely enthralled by this game. I love how story-driven it is, and how at several points during a quest chain, you have to make moral decisions and judgement calls that affect your own character's story progression. On a technical side, I think that the game play is very intuitive (I am an enthusiastic but not exactly pro gamer, having mostly played World of Warcraft, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate, along with some zombie shooters and racing games). I love that the "gathering" quests are completed automatically when you are done with the objective: no need to run back to the quest giver all the time to hand him over 10 pelts or something. I love that you can run with the map open (it fades out, but it is still superimposed over the game, so you can see where you are going). There are a ton of other details like that, little things that make this game a joy to play.

On the MMO aspect, I suppose your experience will vary depending on what server you choose, but as for myself, on an RPPVP server, I have to say: I find the people friendly and helpful. I ran across some public RP already, and there was a huge wpvp event on our server just yesterday, on launch day. You can definitely play alone and truly enjoy yourself, but I find that having a guild is a nice bonus (if only to ask newbie questions).

I would definitely recommend this game as a first experience to anyone who has ever wanted to try out MMORPGs: it is quite easy to get the hang of, the stories are rich and interesting, and there is so much to discover that you will really enjoy yourself. If you never played an MMO before, look at the user forums for your server, read up on various guilds, and apply to one that interests you. Playing with like-minded and helpful people will enhance your experience.

As for a rating, I am giving this a 10, because I can't think of anything that I would like to change, so far. PVE, PVP, RP (and story content): I like it all! :)
  55. Dec 21, 2011
    TOR = Kotor 3 Multiplayer Edition and it's wonderful for it. It has the usual trappings of MMOs, crafting, PvP instances, entire battle grounds, etc.
    It does not deviate far from the distilled western MMO formula. But what it does is make this formula extremely enjoyable to play.

The voice acted cut scenes replacing the standard paragraphs of npc quest dialogue, and Mass Effect style conversations serve to not only break up the flow of the game, giving the player a brief break before jumping back into the action, it serves to make you truly attached to your character. There are decisions to make, and no matter the angle of your character, some will be very hard.
    It's not just good/bad choices, it's getting the job done but with different consequences.

Playing a Bounty Hunter to lvl 26 so far, I love my character. Every fight I feel like a complete bada**. I don't have a cycle of skills I used in the same order every fight, rather it feels like I have a tool kit that I can choose from based on the situation and what I feel like doing. Nothing compares to running up and rocket punching a giant boss in the nose and then bombing the hell out of his buddies.

TOR isn't for everyone. If you're looking to speed through to the end of the game, this may not be for you. What it is, is an extremely enjoyable journey through the Star Wars universe that can be shared with your friends.
  56. Dec 21, 2011
    I'm being completely honest when I say this is the best game I have ever played. Nothing else has ever sucked me in so completely. The bond with your character that BioWare fosters with their in depth story lines is entirely unique in the MMO world. Some people will draw parallels to other successful MMOs while forgetting that WoW copied most of the features it had at launch and most ofI'm being completely honest when I say this is the best game I have ever played. Nothing else has ever sucked me in so completely. The bond with your character that BioWare fosters with their in depth story lines is entirely unique in the MMO world. Some people will draw parallels to other successful MMOs while forgetting that WoW copied most of the features it had at launch and most of the features it has now. Either way, TOR is far and away more engaging than anything I've played before it. If you like BioWare games, you'll love this one. Expand
  57. Dec 21, 2011
    After having played a variety of MMO's since Everquest II, I have to say that Bioware has indeed achieved something unique. The Old Republic gives the immersion of a single player game, while allowing more traditional social options, such as PVP and grouping for PVE content. Currently, the social options are pretty limited, the biggest issue being no guild banks. Emotes typically found inAfter having played a variety of MMO's since Everquest II, I have to say that Bioware has indeed achieved something unique. The Old Republic gives the immersion of a single player game, while allowing more traditional social options, such as PVP and grouping for PVE content. Currently, the social options are pretty limited, the biggest issue being no guild banks. Emotes typically found in most MMO's are sadly lacking here, and the lack of armor customization found even in free-to-play MMO's is surprising, though they promise this in a future update. The combat system is fairly fluid and easy to learn, though there are sometimes too many options. There is no auto-attack feature, so it feels very interactive. The launch was smoother than any game I've ever seen or been a part of. Even during the evening hours of launch day, there was no wait time to get on most servers, and this was not apparently from lack of players. I highly recommend SWTOR to anyone looking for a good MMO experience. There are a few rough edges, but a surprisingly small amount considering the state most games ship these days. Expand
  58. Dec 21, 2011
    I have beta tested this game, and others. Been a fan of the Star Wars genre since the mid 80's. This game captures the essence of the franchise and gives each class a different and unique story with brilliant voice acting. The looks for everyone are unique as levels progress and they can choose different outfits/armors that really fit their particular 'flavor' more without sacrificing theI have beta tested this game, and others. Been a fan of the Star Wars genre since the mid 80's. This game captures the essence of the franchise and gives each class a different and unique story with brilliant voice acting. The looks for everyone are unique as levels progress and they can choose different outfits/armors that really fit their particular 'flavor' more without sacrificing the protection and buffs. My only complaint is the rail-driven space combat, but if you liked the Star Fox games, you'll like this. the actual MMO is compelling. Ignore the ranting of everyone saying it's a WoW-clone, yes you use a keyboard and mouse to move and there are quests, but every MMO has the characteristics they say is WoW-only, and they were there before that game. My recommendation... give the game a try, join us with the Dark Side. We have cookies. Expand
  59. Dec 25, 2011
    I honestly don't know where all the negativity is coming from. is the game perfect right out of the gate? No, but how often does that happen? I've played MMOs from several designers over the course of the last 10 years, and while TOR doesn't completely rewrite the genre, it surely sets itself above every other game out there. The story lines alone are worth the price of the game.some ofI honestly don't know where all the negativity is coming from. is the game perfect right out of the gate? No, but how often does that happen? I've played MMOs from several designers over the course of the last 10 years, and while TOR doesn't completely rewrite the genre, it surely sets itself above every other game out there. The story lines alone are worth the price of the game.some of the folks complaining about no end game content couldn't have possibly made it to end game when they started slinging mud. The game has incredibly few bugs, the servers are incredibly stable, the group quests are well done(the fact that your decisions, even within a group, [a roll is taken to determine whose response is used], affect the course of the story is unique), the instanced Flashpoints are incredible, even the crew skills(crafting) system is very interesting and refreshingly new. I've not participated in the PvP, and even thought the space combat isn't totally 3D, it is very fun and entertaining. In my view, SW:TOR is a game that will draw me in every day, and hold my attention for months, if not years, to come. Expand
  60. Dec 21, 2011
    I haven't been able to play this game enough, each class is amazingly fun, the plot lines are addicting and I have to know what else happens next. I was amazed at how well the pvp feels, you can jump right in at level 10 and still make a difference against level 30's and 50's etc. The crafting is somewhat unique for MMO's and while it feels slow its not annoying and I can see how it willI haven't been able to play this game enough, each class is amazingly fun, the plot lines are addicting and I have to know what else happens next. I was amazed at how well the pvp feels, you can jump right in at level 10 and still make a difference against level 30's and 50's etc. The crafting is somewhat unique for MMO's and while it feels slow its not annoying and I can see how it will be down the line will be engaging without feeling like a grind.

I feel this game is well worth your time and money, very fun and with the entire thing scripted with voice acting it feels like you're really immersed in the game.
  61. Dec 21, 2011
    I played WoW for 6 years. I've played a lot of MMOs in between as well (AoC, Aion, Rift, STO, etc...). This is the first MMO I have played since WoW that I am actually excited to go home and play. Everyone is entitled to their opinion... but really??!! Of the absolute crap that is out there you guys rate this game less than average (a 5)?!?! I think this game will change MMOs much likeI played WoW for 6 years. I've played a lot of MMOs in between as well (AoC, Aion, Rift, STO, etc...). This is the first MMO I have played since WoW that I am actually excited to go home and play. Everyone is entitled to their opinion... but really??!! Of the absolute crap that is out there you guys rate this game less than average (a 5)?!?! I think this game will change MMOs much like WoW did.

If you liked WoW but want something a little different with heavy emphasis on story this game is it. Companions are great, group dialog is cool (need more of it), solo story is great. Needs better character creation/options, fully fleshed out space combat/quests, and no queues. The real test will be if BW can continue to dole out content that keeps the end game going for PVE players (same with any other MMO, I don't PVP so I don't know what the state of that is).
  62. Dec 21, 2011
    Anyone who doesn't give this game atleast a 9 is crazy. All the 0-4 scores are absolutely ridiculous. This game should put all other mmorps to rest, or atleast take away from them greatly.
  63. Dec 21, 2011
    I'm in love with this game... game play is fun as hell... our community is awesome & the story... its made me LOL, its made me go WTF! & its made me stare at the options its given me & have an internal debate about what I should choose. Ever read a book just before going to bed & say to yourself... "ill just get to the end of this chapter & go to bed" & then 4 chapters later your stillI'm in love with this game... game play is fun as hell... our community is awesome & the story... its made me LOL, its made me go WTF! & its made me stare at the options its given me & have an internal debate about what I should choose. Ever read a book just before going to bed & say to yourself... "ill just get to the end of this chapter & go to bed" & then 4 chapters later your still reading because you cant put the book down? TOR = that & more. Expand
  64. Dec 21, 2011
    the best MMO I have played to date. The launch was unbelievably smooth and me and my friends have been enjoying the hell out of it. There are a few small issues with it, but I am sure they will be fixed in the future. Overall easily a 9/10.
  65. Dec 21, 2011
    After playing Wow for a few years, this game was very easy to transition into. Though I did pre-order back in July, and have played 2 or 3 of the betas and am now playing the game, I still see many bugs, however this is completely made up for by it's rich story lines. I find myself enjoying each story line very much. I believe within a year that this game will be completely refined. ItAfter playing Wow for a few years, this game was very easy to transition into. Though I did pre-order back in July, and have played 2 or 3 of the betas and am now playing the game, I still see many bugs, however this is completely made up for by it's rich story lines. I find myself enjoying each story line very much. I believe within a year that this game will be completely refined. It seems like BioWare actually listens to what people say, so all I have to say is have faith, and patience. This game will be great! Expand
  66. Dec 21, 2011
    I created a account here just to write this review because I felt the score was too low.

Life long star wars fan, past MMO experience 4years in SWG, 4 years in WoW, 4 years in UltimaOnline, done all the other MMO's for brief periods, you name it I'v played it. I absolutely love SWTOR, this is the game I have been waiting for, there are some things that I would love to see added, like

I absolutely love SWTOR, this is the game I have been waiting for, there are some things that I would love to see added, like alien races, space pvp, but all can be expansion added later so I'm gonna give this game a 10 cause a meta score of 5.7 has to be addressed.

It's got great singel player!

It's got great friendly multiplayer, no large raids just enough for real life friends to be able to have some real fun without going all wow raid nolife.

It's got balanced and fun PvP. (you will hear people QQ just because they don't know how to play and expect something else instead of learning this games mechanics) (Still I could kill any class with any other class at max skill level and thats balance enough for me.)

Best game I'v played in a long long time... best Star Wars game since Jedi Academy.

I would say it's a lot better then KOTOR wich so many people seem to love. This is KOTOR 3,4,5,6,7,8 combined.
  67. Dec 21, 2011
    Given that reviewing TOR is a fuel for debate between diehard haters and vehement fanboys, I decided to chime in and give my review. But before I give it, I'll just say: for what it is, it's a 9. Here's why: The Old Republic's 6 year development has been fraught with rumors, accusations, defenses, and insults flung from all sides of the room, which included things like there being noGiven that reviewing TOR is a fuel for debate between diehard haters and vehement fanboys, I decided to chime in and give my review. But before I give it, I'll just say: for what it is, it's a 9. Here's why: The Old Republic's 6 year development has been fraught with rumors, accusations, defenses, and insults flung from all sides of the room, which included things like there being no endgame in this game back in 2010, to it being heavily phased like the original Guild Wars. In all honesty, The Old Republic is a solid, well polished, and incredibly fun entry into the MMO market. It's hardly revolutionary mechanically speaking, but the only reason people clamor for revolution is because seven years of World of Warcraft has made them bitter. That said, just because YOU played World of Warcraft for years and are now tired of hotkey MMO's doesn't mean the world is, else FPS's and RTS's would have been dead a decade ago. To begin with the PvE, The Old Republic's is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition both in presentation and in content. Class quests are filled with tremendous setpieces that set the tone for your character's growth and serves as magnificent eye candy for the story being told. World Arcs are just as cinematic, offering strong story from a third party point, and makes the game's planets fun and enjoyable to play through. The final tier of quests, the regular quests, are basic quests with some interesting diversions here and there. Whether it's calling in an air strike to decimate a reisstance base on Balmorra, or collecting tusks and animal hides (much to the chagrin of a disgusted Imperial Official) as a satire on World of Warcraft's primary quest model, the game's quests are all fun, enjoyable, and incredibly immersive since almost all of them are fully voiced (high quality, as well, not the dribble that is RIFT or WoW's voice acting). Flashpoints, The Old Republic's dungeons, are no less cinematic, and fall into two categories themselves: story flashpoints, and world flashpoints. Story flashpoints, such as Black Talon or White Nova, are heavily tied into the game's overall plot of an imminent war. They are tremendous eye candy, and a thrill to play, without much challenge so everyone can do them. World Flashpoints are general flashpoints that are tied to the plot, but much more loosely. There is no V/O in these, only certain potmarks in which you can choose to be evil or good for a certain action (such as decimating a Republic Fleet with missiles while on Cademimu, or diverting them to a lifeless moon instead). They're still well-crafted and good to look at, but are there more for the dungeon and loot purposes and less for the story. Finally, the Operations in The Old Republic are, for one, actual RAIDS (which has lost it's meaning right around the time I rode on a dragon's back), and currently involve raiding an ancient prison housing the galaxy's most powerful villains, and raiding a powerful Hutt's palace. They are hugely cinematic, frantic, and an absolute blast to play. With three difficulties to choose from, there is little to be afraid of. If you want the content, play it on Normal. If you want challenge, play it on Hard. If you want heavy coordination and extreme precision to be a part of your take down, set it on Nightmare Additionally, if you want OPEN WORLD PvE raiding, almost every planet has a challenging world boss to take down and conquer. The game is packed with group content.. If one even just skims through the (Currently) 249 red reviews, and see how many claim there's "little PvE", "no endgame", "it's just a single player game with a monthly fee" or "kill X and collect Y", they're what we call, for lack of a better word, mouthbreathers. Now, on the PvP end, the game has three forms of it: open world PvP, instanced PvP, and, taking a cue from Warhammer, objective-based open world PvP. Warzone PvP is frantic and a blast to play, but is a tad disappointing because you can't choose which map you want to play. However, given that group queueing was patched in remarkably quickly, Bioware's on top of this. Open world PvP is your typical gank-fest. What really shines is Ilum, the objective-based open world PvP planet, which is packed with frenetic PvP glory, as you blast down walkers with heavy rocket launchers, capture enemy fortifications, and try to stem the tide in this never-ending warzone. There is no "safety period" on Ilum, ala Wintergrasp. It's all war all the time, and it's a damn good one to be a part of. In the end, to say this game is a generic WoW clone with nothing new to offer is asanine. It is undisputedly the most polished, smoothest launch today, is brimming with content, and has more on the horizons. Given that 90% of the negative reviews are talking out of their ass, I trust you to use their judgment, but I'm here to say: TOR is fantastic Expand
  68. Dec 21, 2011
    Very exciting MMO with the level of polish and storytelling you expect from Bioware. The voice acting is amaziiinngg. I've been playing a female trooper and Jennifer Hale is incredible as always. You've got every MMO feature you'd expect plus quests that you actually care for since it's not the average "read a few poorly written lines" and accept concept you get from other games. HighlyVery exciting MMO with the level of polish and storytelling you expect from Bioware. The voice acting is amaziiinngg. I've been playing a female trooper and Jennifer Hale is incredible as always. You've got every MMO feature you'd expect plus quests that you actually care for since it's not the average "read a few poorly written lines" and accept concept you get from other games. Highly recommended! Expand
  69. Dec 21, 2011
    One of the most fully featured, polished MMO games to ever release. Incredibly smooth launch and just what you would expect from a KotoR game as an MMO. One of the best written games hands down and the combat is sooo incredibly smooth. I particularly love my Smuggler and the awesome cover system they use which changes up your skills and ads a whole new layer of strategic elements. TheOne of the most fully featured, polished MMO games to ever release. Incredibly smooth launch and just what you would expect from a KotoR game as an MMO. One of the best written games hands down and the combat is sooo incredibly smooth. I particularly love my Smuggler and the awesome cover system they use which changes up your skills and ads a whole new layer of strategic elements. The group dialogue is fantastic as well and reminds me of the old paper and pen games where you're just sitting around your buddies. If you are a MMO fan, Bioware fan, or Star Wars fan do yourself a favor and pick this game up. Expand
  70. Dec 21, 2011
    *pretends to be shocked* Another popular game out and another smear campaign from trolls in the user section. This bombardment of 0's needs to be dealt with, this is getting ridiculous and abusive. ToR is a wonderful MMO that any Bioware and Star Wars fan is going to love. You can play this as your standard MMO or as a single player game even. JUST because this game has a personal story*pretends to be shocked* Another popular game out and another smear campaign from trolls in the user section. This bombardment of 0's needs to be dealt with, this is getting ridiculous and abusive. ToR is a wonderful MMO that any Bioware and Star Wars fan is going to love. You can play this as your standard MMO or as a single player game even. JUST because this game has a personal story doesn't mean it's a "lobby game" as one user puts it. Tell me...what standard MMO feature is ToR missing that these non lobby games have? Dungeons check, Raids check, PvP check, World PvP check, World PvP objectives check, group quests check. Enough with the trolling already. Expand
  71. Dec 21, 2011
    Gameplay - Very slick, fast, fun with some top quality animations. The blocking and reversals of the lightsaber classes are a joy to look at. Visuals - A really nice, stylized look that will be revelant for years to come. I especially looove the character models and sky boxes.

Sound - Great weapon sounds, lightsabers sound great, voice acting is tremendous, and the music is Star Wars what more could you want? =)
  72. Dec 21, 2011
    Bah, here we go again. Another big name game is released and the trolls are out in full force raiting the game with 0's the minute it is released. Anywho, I am really enjoying the game and it's definitely the best MMO I have played. You wouldn't believe how much of a difference story, dialogue, choices makes in an MMO until you have actually played it.

The game has everything that an

The game has everything that an MMO is supposed to have and more, that more is the story, writing, and voice work of a high quality single player MMO. You'll be hooked!
  73. Dec 21, 2011
    I have contacted metacritic about what's going on with the user scores here and hopefully they will be cleared out. 4 chan is scum and if the one good thing SOPA can do is shut those boards down for good than that is fine with me.
  74. Dec 21, 2011
    A perfect game for a Star Wars, RPG, MMO fan. This game does have some issues, but I am giving it a 10 because frankly the current user score of 5.7 is not TRUE! If you happen to stumble upon this review and are planning on using it to purchase the game DON'T. Go to a different website and find a trusted reviewer (NO not IGN). Ok rant over, this game is great.
  75. Dec 21, 2011
    Official reviews so far:

Venturebeat - 89%, G4TV - 5/5, Digitaltrend - 9/10, Eurogamer Italy 8/10, AusGamers - 9.5/10, Gameblog.fr - 8/10 Who are you gonna believe? Legit reviews with pages worth of info and opinion or trolls who have only reviewed this game making BS comments that aren't true at all. You decide.
  76. Dec 22, 2011
    This is a very solid game at the moment, for the people who say it is very buggy, all i have to say is we can not possibly be playing the same game. Yes in all honesty there are bugs, but wasn't that expected, it is a mmo. On to the game, yes it is the standard kill this do that quest system, but the difference is that i enjoy this time. To those of you who don't like the combat, well WoWThis is a very solid game at the moment, for the people who say it is very buggy, all i have to say is we can not possibly be playing the same game. Yes in all honesty there are bugs, but wasn't that expected, it is a mmo. On to the game, yes it is the standard kill this do that quest system, but the difference is that i enjoy this time. To those of you who don't like the combat, well WoW has tons of subscribers and you know what, I actually like this combat style. The story is also awesome, I've experienced 3 of the different classes and all of them have been awesome. Flashpoints are also very well done, the stories in them are on par with the questing and everything in them flows and feels right. At first I thought warzones were just ok, but then i played Huttball and a close Alderaan game, and let me tell you they were better than any other mmo's pvp for me. On people worried that queue for warzones will be too long, because it is not cross server, well set your worries aside. Thanks to the boosts you get when entering into warzones, anybody can compete with anyone no matter what level. Also space combat is a fun diversion to the standard questing if you don't feel like questing. Overall I love this game, it is very fun and the story really does bring you into the world. There definitely are a few things missing from the game, what would benefit it greatly, but the main thing is that they are nothing huge and they aren't anything that can't be fixed in a patch. A few things I forgot to say, I have not experienced any large imbalance in pvp. Also some people may not think the game has very good replayability, well after leveling through coruscant 4 times, I can honestly say that the interesting quests are still interesting, and i found it still very fun to level. Also the graphics are what i feel they should be, but where they start to show their strength is when you get to the wide open planets, where some of the views are just gorgeous. I would strongly recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  77. Dec 23, 2011
    The game can be described as WoW with a Star Wars skin with Mass Effect style storytelling. I love it. The game play will be familiar with anyone who has played that other MMO. The Story is on par with BioWare's games. The game is just fun to play. I've already put in a around three days worth of game time and it has been a blast. Ignore all the trolls and give it a spin if you likedThe game can be described as WoW with a Star Wars skin with Mass Effect style storytelling. I love it. The game play will be familiar with anyone who has played that other MMO. The Story is on par with BioWare's games. The game is just fun to play. I've already put in a around three days worth of game time and it has been a blast. Ignore all the trolls and give it a spin if you liked WoW, Star Wars, or Mass Effect. If isn't broken why fix it? Expand
  78. Dec 22, 2011
    A fantastic game if u are into star wars or mmo get this there a bunch of naysayers but truly it is great experience. Get this game ignore wow obsessed haters
  79. Dec 22, 2011
    I read a lot of these bad reviews and can tell you more then half of what i have read are completely false..stuff they are complaining about isnt even in the game and stuff they have said they have done like "got to 50 and hated every second of it" can you really take someone like that serious thats over 200 hours of game play..IT IS NOT A WOW CLONE..i have played wow for 6 years andI read a lot of these bad reviews and can tell you more then half of what i have read are completely false..stuff they are complaining about isnt even in the game and stuff they have said they have done like "got to 50 and hated every second of it" can you really take someone like that serious thats over 200 hours of game play..IT IS NOT A WOW CLONE..i have played wow for 6 years and dozens of other mmos and this is my most enjoyable experience ( Advice for people who dont like voice overs..dont get it) the story is where this game shines everything else is really well done too but i dont have add and take my time. Expand
  80. Dec 22, 2011
    I made an account specifically to write a review on TOR. I don't write reviews or participate in online game forums. (other than guilds)

I spent 5 years playing Everquest. I promised myself I'd never play MMOs again. I somehow got around the era of Warcraft without getting highly addicted to the game. After spending 5 days and blowing through about 30% of the Empire worlds I can honestly say this is one of the best games of the year and one of the most polished MMO releases I've ever seen. TOR isn't perfect. It lacks many common social and market features of modern MMOs. Soup to nuts it just doesn't stack up with the breadth of features games like Rift offer. What it does offer, is a highly focused polished experience. The things Bioware set out to make amazing turned out amazing. (Story line, character development, RPG mechanics, etc.) This is the game I've been waiting 10 years to play.
  81. Dec 22, 2011
    Im a long time MMO player, with many games under my belt. I've played WoW from Vanilla to WotLK,
    Guildwars, Age of Conan, DC universe online, and a plenty of free MMO:s. So I have a lot to compare to, but I will try to review the game on its own.

I usually dont write any reviews, but after seeing this game gain so many unfair negative reviews, some from people, who have probably never even played the game and are just trying get approvement from **** or some other communtity that hates everything fun, Ive decided to give my honest opinion on the game.

So after playing this game to level 20 on my bounty hunter, im finally ready to give my first impression on the game. Ive had many great adventures on that journey, both alone and in groups. And i've still got more than half of the leveling content and the end game to see.

So firstly I will talk about the gameplay. For those of you who have played any MMO since the success of World of Warcraft, the gameplay mechanics will probably feel instantly familiar. However i'm much more in control of my own character since i have to perform all the attacks by myself, even the auto-attack. The UI was a bit too flashy for my liking at first, but after a while I've gotten used to it. It works very well and has everything important in your reach. Its also pretty well customisable through ingame settings. Though i would like the option to make it more simplistic, and remove all the uneccessary decorations from it. There are plenty of great improvements to the usual gameplay. The companions add a great new twist into the game. Cause now you can play better while alone, even if you want to be a tank or a healer. And you can complete 4 man quests with just 2 players and 2 companions. Of course if there are for example 3 players, you can only summon 1 companion so it is in no way overpowered. The companions also help you in many ways, such as you can send them to sell your grey items to vendor if you run out of space or let them do the crafting for you while you are on your adventures (I especially like this system). Then they have spiced up the normal gameplay with fun elements, as your own spaceship and spacecombat.

Now about the gameworlds. They are huge and immersive. And beatiful. I did not like the first planet I was on, but every planet ive been since has been great. I love how there is plenty of group quest-content inserted into each planet. The only downthing I have with these big planets, is that it may be a bit boring to run from one place to another before you get your first mount. Also the conversations and the story is a great improvement from other mmos.

All the instances Ive been to have been fun, and immersed you in great adventures through the means of story, music and proper pacing. The difficulty's been about right too. Few wipes but not too challenging to make the group quit in the middle of run. Bioware has also been actively patching the game and it has already improved in many ways since its launch, wich was only a few days ago. I think all players who enjoy mmos should try this out. In its current state the game is a solid 8/10, but it has been the best mmo launch i have been part of, and the I see a great future for this game so ill give it 10/10 just for the potential, and to counter all those unfair, biased reviews.
  82. Dec 22, 2011
    Since the reviews are all over the place ill give my own list so you can see if your like me..( i will say one thing people who are rushers or have Add may have a issue with the game my wife is such a person shes not patient enough to listen to the story no mater how good it might be.
    1.SWTOR -10
    16.Starcraft 1,2-10
    17.Diablo 1-7
    18 Diablo 2-9
  83. Dec 22, 2011
    This is a great game, hands down. Many people are bashing this game while comparing it too heavily to WoW. Don't forget WoW, along with every other MMORPG has taken queues from their predecessor over the years. This is no different, and this is how games improve.
    Yes, there is a bunch of running, which improves after you get to level 25 and get a mount.
    Otherwise the voice acting is
    Otherwise the voice acting is incredible, the class variety is vast, the PvP is fun, the space missions are great, the graphics at max are wonderful.
    It has just been released, and I suspect it will be releasing many patches throughout the months to drastically improve upon current issues.
    I told myself I wouldnt get glued and here I am defending it in a review - It's a great game.
  84. Dec 22, 2011
    Best Mmo I have ever played, great ! Cool graphics, interesting features like your own companion and star ship, this is surely not only a wow clone, it has enough new features, the story and cutscenes are superb. Everoney who gave this game 0-2 points, should never write a review again, no game deserves 0 points. Enjoy it !
  85. Dec 22, 2011
    I am currently addicted to this game. I haven't looked forward to logging into an MMO for many years and SWTOR is rekindling the MMO fire in me again. There are some aspects of the game that I am kind of meh about, but I have the utmost confidence in Bioware.
  86. Dec 22, 2011
    There's a surprising amount of confusion, and idiocy, surrounding the release of this MMO. NEWS FLASH, this is an MMO. I'm not sure what is confusing or misleading about that. The standard MMO mechanics are here that have been around for a decade; however, this game never advertised itself as anything different. If you go in expecting an MMO, it delivers and then goes beyond with immersingThere's a surprising amount of confusion, and idiocy, surrounding the release of this MMO. NEWS FLASH, this is an MMO. I'm not sure what is confusing or misleading about that. The standard MMO mechanics are here that have been around for a decade; however, this game never advertised itself as anything different. If you go in expecting an MMO, it delivers and then goes beyond with immersing class stories and top notch voice acting. If you go in expecting something other than a traditional MMO, it falls short. People can argue and complain about the huge budget, subscription fees, grinding, leveling, skill trees, or whatever until the rest of us go deaf, but it won't change what this game is at it's core. It's a polished, accessible, and incredibly fun MMO. I've been playing since October and have seen the game evolve first hand. It's made amazing progress. There are still shortcomings for sure. The graphics lack intricate detail but most of it still looks pretty darn good and the world's are vast and varied. Space combat exists as a mini-game but it is good for what it is, and BioWare already confirmed it will be expanded. The UI is clunky, but functional. I've gotten used to it over time. The questing can start to wear you down, but it's paced very well and it seems that whenever I am just getting tired of the questing on a planet I am whisked off to a different one. What this game does right far outshines it's faults in my eyes. The stories are all interesting and packed with humor. They're a ton of fun. The combat is pretty standard skill rotation, but the animations are fluid and the sound of combat feels perfect. The sounds of blaster fire, explosions, and lightsabers crashing against one another was very well done, as was the music and voice acting. There are some odd moments in the voice acting, but overall it's really solid. Companions are a welcome addition too. I could go on and on because there is a plethora of content in this game and we're only at launch, which is the smoothest launch I've seen in 10 years and about a dozen different MMOs. BioWare did well with the Star Wars IP and their first foray into the MMO genre is a huge success in my opinion. I wouldn't rate it a perfect 10, more like an 8.5, but with all the stupid 0-2 ratings from people who try to judge the graphics compared to Crysis or Skyrim, or the combat system to Guild Wars 2 (which doesn't even have a release date yet!)... I have to give it a 10 to offset the shear amount of scared naysayer fanboys. In my honest opinion, this is an MMO worth checking out at least for the first free month. It doesn't bring many new ideas to the table, but the stories are worth the entrance fee, and the sci-fi atmosphere is a nice change from the elves and dwarfs of other fantasy lands. Expand
  87. Dec 22, 2011
    The game shares similar features with other games but has a fresh feel to it. The sound is great the graphics are good and the gameplay is fun. If you like themed MMOs, Star Wars, or Mass Effect, you will likely enjoy this game. Personally this game is a 8/10 but it gets a 10 from me to offset the fools who give it a 0.
  88. Dec 22, 2011
    For everybody who loves Star Wars and wants to be a part of it, this game offers a wonderful opportunity do to just that. The world is beautiful and created with much love for the detail, the Gameplay is easy to learn and there a lot of possibilities to specialise your character if you want to. Furthermore the people who are playing TOR are all very very nice, which may not be entirelyFor everybody who loves Star Wars and wants to be a part of it, this game offers a wonderful opportunity do to just that. The world is beautiful and created with much love for the detail, the Gameplay is easy to learn and there a lot of possibilities to specialise your character if you want to. Furthermore the people who are playing TOR are all very very nice, which may not be entirely attributed to Biowars policies, but nonetheless is important for a game to be really funny and enjoyable.
    Finally the best part: The Story! I love Games with a good Stories and TOR has loads of it. So lean back, play and may the Force be with you!
  89. Dec 22, 2011
    Having played both WoW and WAR, I feel SWTOR is superior to both. WoW feels like a cartoon compared to SW's rich textures and lighting. PVE gameplay has been engaging and I like the fact that you can duel your own side. Other than that, I haven't had the chance to get into PvP, so we'll see how that pans out. I've encountered a few terrain (stuck) and graphic glitches, but all in all aHaving played both WoW and WAR, I feel SWTOR is superior to both. WoW feels like a cartoon compared to SW's rich textures and lighting. PVE gameplay has been engaging and I like the fact that you can duel your own side. Other than that, I haven't had the chance to get into PvP, so we'll see how that pans out. I've encountered a few terrain (stuck) and graphic glitches, but all in all a great launch for a complex game. Expand
  90. Dec 23, 2011
    Do u like, star wars? do u like a freaking huge word, with the most immersive story driven quest u ever seen in any mmorpg out there? do u like a deep pet system? do u like lighstabers? this game is for u, just go out and buy it.
    Star wars take all of the good and bad of the mmorpg genre, and fuse them in a unique way, his way.
    Don't expect anything ultranew, u still have sidebar, tab
    Don't expect anything ultranew, u still have sidebar, tab targetting, hotkey for using skills, fetch sidequest "kill 10x" etc. But the level of polish, the soundtrack, the combat animation, is just jaw dropping.
    This is the first time in 13 years of mmorpgs play, that i actually don't mind my level, i want to play just to know what happen next: is my master really trying to deceive me? i am really the new hope of the sith empire? im not bound anymore, to check my xp to the next lvl, hoping to never ever kill another 200 boars to level up.
    Im just traveling space back and fort trying to rise from a slave to a dark lord of sith, this and many more is STWOR, im playing my story, im finally playing my character the way i want to, not bound anymore, to kill everything on sight to gather xp, and proceed to the next area with no real motive other than get another lvl up.
    If u like multiplayer games, don't lose this one, i think we are not gonna see something like this for years to come.
  91. Dec 22, 2011
    This is one of the best MMOs to date. Despite having a few minor bugs (first week of release), SWTOR manages to create game-play that rivals and surpasses WoW and other big competitors. I'd like to make this short so here I go.
    Pros:
    *Great story, fully voice and completely different for all classes *Companions help you with crew skills which takes out the monotony and grind of leveling
    Pros:
    *Great story, fully voice and completely different for all classes
    *Companions help you with crew skills which takes out the monotony and grind of leveling crafting/gathering skills
    *PvP is extremely balanced. No one class can rule them all or survive a fight forever, aka Paladins in WoW
    *PvP warzones are completely unique and fun to play
    *Item customization/upgrades allow you to keep a weapon or piece of armor til end game if you choose and remain competitive , though, it requires work.
    *Great graphics especially for an MMO
    *Music and sounds in game are all consistent with the Star Wars universe you will often hear epic music during your fights and travels *Quests, flashpoints, and operations are really challenging. Bioware doesn't assume that you're a retard like Blizzard does and make everything so simple and easy that it's boring.

Cons:
    *Minor non-gamebreaking bugs, will likely be patched soon
    *Server wait times can get a little long, Bioware needs to allow server transfers for characters
    *Instanced servers

ps. Don't listen to the haters, it's well worth the money.
  92. Dec 23, 2011
    This game is a monumental success in entertainment history, mooove on over WoW theres a far more better immersive mmo experience by the name of Star Wars the Old Republic. This game is too good for life itsself, WoW is laying on its deathbed because of this game and biowae is pulling WoW's plug. It is time for a new mmo to dominate! May the force be with you my brothas. R.I.P. World OfThis game is a monumental success in entertainment history, mooove on over WoW theres a far more better immersive mmo experience by the name of Star Wars the Old Republic. This game is too good for life itsself, WoW is laying on its deathbed because of this game and biowae is pulling WoW's plug. It is time for a new mmo to dominate! May the force be with you my brothas. R.I.P. World Of Warcraft Nov.23.2004-Dec.20.2011 (: Expand
  93. Dec 23, 2011
    I am mainly reviewing this game just to note that it seems VERY odd that there are so many very negative reviews.

I think it's a fantastic game. I have played pretty much all the MMOs, think SWTOR has them all beat hands-down in polish, playbility and fun, and is going to grab the larger part of the WOW fanbase. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for you to disagree with me

There are plenty of legitimate reasons for you to disagree with me about that, but, again, it seems odd to me that so many people seem to think this is a terrible game. Is somebody trying to spike this game on metacritic for some reason, e.g., to protect WOW which needs its large player base because it's otherwise more than a little dated?

I've talked to at least 50 people about this game, many of them gaming veterans. It's split about 50-50 between people who agree with me and people who don't think this game is great, but think it's quite good. I haven't talked to a single actual person who has played the game and has an opinion even in the ballpark of all these negative reviewers. in fact, my 3 good friends who are guildmasters of a power guild in WOW are all abandoning their WOW accounts to start a new guild in SWTOR.
  94. Dec 23, 2011
    SWTOR blows WoW out of the water. WoW has become to easy of a game to play and noobs can get epiced out in a week. Gamers want a challenge and this is it. The graphics are better, the music is better, the combat is much more exciting(force jumping into mobs while a bounty hunter jet-packs into the air and fires down missiles), the storyline is awesome including group conversation which atSWTOR blows WoW out of the water. WoW has become to easy of a game to play and noobs can get epiced out in a week. Gamers want a challenge and this is it. The graphics are better, the music is better, the combat is much more exciting(force jumping into mobs while a bounty hunter jet-packs into the air and fires down missiles), the storyline is awesome including group conversation which at sometimes can be hilarious , the landscapes are amazing and the lore may be the best on the market. These 300+ negative reviews come from people with a their panties in a bunch or a WoW forever fanboy. Open your eyes to a great start to hopefully a amazing MMORPG experience for everyone. Expand
  95. Dec 23, 2011
    After months of watching this pitiful downvoting of good games for pathetic fanboy reasons, I've decided it's time to contribute.

The criticisms about linearity and 'lobby' gaming are understandable (the lobby instancing really turned me off from GW, but it was only part of it, and the rest of the game didn't make up for it unlike this game), but poor. I have played many MMOs (WoW, Aion, CoH, SWG, EvE, Warhammer Online, Rift, Vanguard, etc) and I honestly can't think of any *good* utterly sandbox MMOs. And SWTOR is *not* any more linear than any of the games I've listed. If you wanted a sandbox MMO, and you're looking for it in a game that has voice acting and cutscenes, you're doing it wrong. The story is massive, immersive, and well crafted. I've never felt so invested in my character since vanilla WoW, or let alone as excited to play an MMO for that matter. The zones are much more open than other Bioware games, and more open than in games like Aion, where i felt like a rat in a maze between quests. The warzones are fun and well designed. Perhaps the biggest weakness in this game is the lobby style zone instancing which can break immersion when grouping with others and waiting for them to transfer zones. Zones still never feel empty (like they did in GW), and I'd much rather this than have to compete for every single mob tag and deal with incessant lag.

The graphics complaints are ridiculous. This is one of the most visually impressive games I've ever seen, and it's the apex of Bioware's excellent art style.

The gameplay, while *similar* in core mechanics to WoW, Rift, et al, works, and plays well. You feel powerful, skilled, and in control. Why people think it had to be different in ever aspect from other MMOs completely boggles my mind with the advancements and innovations it brings in other departments.(gameplay is tied to action RPGs for a reason, what the hell did you want, a first person shooter MMO? Wait for Planetside 2.) The moddable equipment is great, and gives you the option to keep a favoured aesthetic while leveling if you desire (and happen upon the gear). The companion system is excellent, but could use some tweaking for the AI and a few glitches. The crafting system is perfect, minimizing time spent on probably one of the most tedious aspects of MMOs yet still giving you enough control.

Flashpoints are fun and engaging, and I haven't had as much fun running an instance since being blown away by the expansive and epic BRD/UBRS/LBRS complex in WoW.

Light side and dark side choices are interesting and suitable (from what I've seen thus far), but I am disappointed by the lack of neutral relics (I have gone light side on my main character partially as a response to this).

It is definitely the newest gem of the MMO market, and one I see myself playing for much longer than most. Highly recommended.
  96. Dec 23, 2011
    This is my second MMO and all i can say is WOW. Bioware has taken the MO Genre and pushed it to a new level. Although combat is not different (i mean you cant make it any different) the story element is so compelling i cant sleep every night i must know what happen next. The mechanics are incredibly smooth and the interface is nice however it should be customizable but who knows they mightThis is my second MMO and all i can say is WOW. Bioware has taken the MO Genre and pushed it to a new level. Although combat is not different (i mean you cant make it any different) the story element is so compelling i cant sleep every night i must know what happen next. The mechanics are incredibly smooth and the interface is nice however it should be customizable but who knows they might fix it. Too all those people who hate the game well all i can say is you keep assaulting the fact that it is a WoW copy. Well of course it has to be due to the MMO franchise. I love star wars and this feels like another star wars movie. i could play this game for months!! There are some slight issues with certain bugs and mechanics but i give it the benefit of the doubt due to the fact no game is ever perfect at launch (cough cough... Skyrim) however in saying that it is soooo close to perfect. If your a person looking for an exciting MMO either veterans or new MMO players will not be disappointed. If the MMO genre is dying this is a great way to see it out May the Force Be with You Expand
  97. Dec 24, 2011
    DONT READ BAD REVIEWS!!

DONT READ BAD REVIEWS!!

To start I have played WOW from day 1, EQ for many years, SWG for the first year and even UO for 5yrs. THis is by far one of the best launchs I have ever seen of a MMO. I am 40 Plus hours in and this is really well done. Is it perfect? No. Is it far and away then any game at launch? Its beyond any other mmo on day 1 by miles! if you say its not then you have not played it. If you say it heavey instanced and WOW is less instanced? THen your an idiot and have not played either. TOR is easy to play with a group or without. THe content is solid and needs some more devolpment but compaired to WOW? It took them almost 6 yrs to get to the point of this game on release. the game play is simular yes but is broken up in ways that wow has not even thought of. IF you like MMO then give this a far try. I bet enyone knocking this has not played it and furthermore is a fanboy of there out of date MMO that never made an impact.
  98. Dec 24, 2011
    This is the MMO i have been waiting, very interesting story, very well desinged combat system thank god no longer hitting the air, actually useful companion characters, crew skills and off course Roleplaying.
    Right when i started playing as a Trooper i noticed it doesent have boring starting quests like many other MMO has including World of Warcraft, fully voiced mmo with tons of dialog thats impressive. No longer the boring little box full of text that no one likes to read after every single quest. every character has its own story and for once i have learned something about the world, something about the different characters. There are so many people with Negative reviews and i know most of you are annnoyed because of the queue times well i don't like them either but we know bioware is currently doing their best for fixing the annoying bugs, Fps issue because of the bad coding , and the server queue's . And some of you guys are just annoyed because of the waiting room system. But you guys should keep yourself positive about the game, most of MMO's had same start as Star Wars The Old Republic had, Including World of Warcraft. Even so that the game has been out for just a few days it has already so much things to do.

But now to some negative stuff, I personally dont like the space battle system its going to be boring after a while, the ship customization could be a little bit more Advanced and there should be more starships to buy form vendors. Bioware tough mentioned that they are going to change it maybe in the first expansion pack. Then there's these terrible frame's per second problems with most of the players and they are trying to fix the bad coding. Bioware mentioned before the game launch that they are going to make the game os that even players with a bit older computers can play it, currently even some players who have a latest gaming computer that can run Battlefield 3 on Ultra graphics are having terrible framerate issues so there is something to do with the coding rather than the system specs.
    All of these are very small problems cause they are able to be fixed.

Now to good things in a Nutshell: Voice acting is best i have ever heard, Graphics are stunning even there are alot fps issues. PVP is good, Flashpoints operations and all other Raids are really fun with the story based quests. And i dont even have to mention the great 1,2,3 choises you can make in every quest conversation.

Giving full 10 points!
  99. Dec 24, 2011
    For me, SWTOR is a great game. It's usless make any comparisson beteween this and other games. It's a great MMO and has some good improvements over later games (the quest system is the best I saw in an mmo) I'm a huge fan of Bioware games, just to the record. But still uses the same old formulas. For me, the most important is: It's a hell of a fun game! I play with some friends and I feelFor me, SWTOR is a great game. It's usless make any comparisson beteween this and other games. It's a great MMO and has some good improvements over later games (the quest system is the best I saw in an mmo) I'm a huge fan of Bioware games, just to the record. But still uses the same old formulas. For me, the most important is: It's a hell of a fun game! I play with some friends and I feel so much fun doing it. I laught so loud in some situations (Im a Sith Warrior) and the parts of the game wehre you need to play in group is very fun. I really don't care if it will be better than WoW or not, I give a sh... for WoW today, played it for 5 years and I'm feeling good in play something new. I'm still with my wow subscription and will pay a visit from time to time. Hail to SWTOR and I hope it live long and give me lots of fun in the years to come. Expand
  100. Dec 24, 2011
    For people interested in an actual story where you have actual interaction with NPCs instead of just blankly accepting quests without even reading, this is perfect!

A lot of the kill X quests are actually bonus quests triggered when in the correct place, and you don't need to deliver them to someone. Most of the quests you have life or death choices to do and it is refreshing. The voice

The voice acting is very good, I have 3 different characters and keep hearing different voices everywhere,

Each character has a different story and while some of them aren't as compelling as the others, I'm always eager to know what my Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor will have to do next.

This is also a great game if you don't like playing with randoms nor want to be involved in a guild. The whole class story is playable by yourself and a lot of the stuff can be done by yourself or with a friend.

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.