5.8

1. Dec 25, 2011
    I played WOW and have never created 6 characters and built them up to at least 10th level. WOW was a grind and always felt like it. The SWTOR environment is so much more fun! If you like Star Wars you will enjoy this game.
  2. Dec 25, 2011
    Awesome game and I am not a big Star Wars fan. Leveling up in WoW is about as much fun as a root canal.. But SWTOR is surprisingly enjoyable. The graphics are incredible at hi res.
  3. Dec 25, 2011
    Well, from what i have played so far, this game is a different and refreshing take on mmo's in my opinion, having played WOW for 5yrs+. i have several characters in the 20's just so can get a feel for which class id prefer, so i have only scratched the surface. if your a fan of the kotor 1+2, id say you will appreciate this game as much as i do. i've read some peoples complaints about theWell, from what i have played so far, this game is a different and refreshing take on mmo's in my opinion, having played WOW for 5yrs+. i have several characters in the 20's just so can get a feel for which class id prefer, so i have only scratched the surface. if your a fan of the kotor 1+2, id say you will appreciate this game as much as i do. i've read some peoples complaints about the story driven questing and lack of a multiplayer feel. to me it has been a more dynamic gaming experience than any other mmo i've played. but i'm biased towards kotor, and care less about glorified chat-rooms. there is sufficient party based opportunities in the game, flashpoints, heroic quest areas, and later raid instances. you just have to play more than a couple hours to experience them. Expand
  4. Dec 25, 2011
    Well if you detest Star Wars you may want to stay away from TOR. Otherwise, the game is very smooth, the story line is enticing and while there are still a few minor bugs in the overall I am loving it! I have also been told that the classes are balanced at end game (lvl 50) PvP and since I am at the lower levels (12-16) and there are no brackets, we just have to learn how to play the gameWell if you detest Star Wars you may want to stay away from TOR. Otherwise, the game is very smooth, the story line is enticing and while there are still a few minor bugs in the overall I am loving it! I have also been told that the classes are balanced at end game (lvl 50) PvP and since I am at the lower levels (12-16) and there are no brackets, we just have to learn how to play the game and look forward to end game PvP. Expand
  5. Dec 25, 2011
    What an amazing game!! Bioware has done it again. They'be brought something so unique and special to the MMO world I don't know how I can go back to any other MMO. There's no way I can go back to reading boring, emotionless, poorly written text telling me to go kill 5 rats. The story and dialogue is soo well done and the group content is the best group content I've played. Soo many laughsWhat an amazing game!! Bioware has done it again. They'be brought something so unique and special to the MMO world I don't know how I can go back to any other MMO. There's no way I can go back to reading boring, emotionless, poorly written text telling me to go kill 5 rats. The story and dialogue is soo well done and the group content is the best group content I've played. Soo many laughs going through multiplayer dialogue with people seeing what they choose and hoping your number scores the highest. Highly recommended! Expand
  6. Dec 26, 2011
    Suck a wonderful game! ^.^ It has everything you expect from an MMO ( dungeons, raids, group content, large worlds to explore, crafting, etc.) with a new and exciting twist I think. I'm sure you've heard it a zillion times but wow does story, choices, etc. make a HUGE difference. I always wanted a game that would add this to MMO's so really happy to finally see it. Boyfriend got me theSuck a wonderful game! ^.^ It has everything you expect from an MMO ( dungeons, raids, group content, large worlds to explore, crafting, etc.) with a new and exciting twist I think. I'm sure you've heard it a zillion times but wow does story, choices, etc. make a HUGE difference. I always wanted a game that would add this to MMO's so really happy to finally see it. Boyfriend got me the game today for Christmas and we've been playing it all day! He is being a jerk and going dark side on options so its so funny to see who wins in the dialogue roles. Loving the game. If you love MMO's you should definitely buy it. Even if you aren't a fan of MMO's but love RPG's with a good story you should definitely give it a shot as well. Expand
  7. Dec 26, 2011
    If you like Bioware and KotoR I honestly don't see how you can't enjoy this. I'm sorry but ever since Bioware dared to release Dragon Age II, an okay game, instead of a great game the trolls have been all over them. Don't listen to these uber low scores this is a joke. How can a game be rated a 0? The fact that it's a game already makes it so that it can't be a 0/. That means it doesn'tIf you like Bioware and KotoR I honestly don't see how you can't enjoy this. I'm sorry but ever since Bioware dared to release Dragon Age II, an okay game, instead of a great game the trolls have been all over them. Don't listen to these uber low scores this is a joke. How can a game be rated a 0? The fact that it's a game already makes it so that it can't be a 0/. That means it doesn't exist. Do yourself a favor and listen to the actual reviews that are coming out and the high metascore the game possesses. Sorry to all the conspiracy theorists but if you think EA is going around bribing every website you are delusional and need to put down the bong. Expand
  8. Dec 26, 2011
    Do NOT believe the people saying this is a lobby game. I can't believe they have the audacity to come here and lie when the truth is well known AND out there. The instancing is a TEMPORARY placement for the massive amount of people playing the game. What would you rather have? 500 people hitting the same exact mobs as you or spread out by 100's? Once people start to spread out Bioware hasDo NOT believe the people saying this is a lobby game. I can't believe they have the audacity to come here and lie when the truth is well known AND out there. The instancing is a TEMPORARY placement for the massive amount of people playing the game. What would you rather have? 500 people hitting the same exact mobs as you or spread out by 100's? Once people start to spread out Bioware has stated the instancing will be removed. They have said this a thousand times and I can guarantee you if they didn't use this as a temporary measure these same cry babies would come here spamming 0's and saying how they can't do anything because the game is so crowded. PS: Timacek I have reported you. You are making multiple accounts and spamming this game with the same review word for word over and over again. Enjoy your ban. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2011
    This is absolutely pathetic...the same people are giving this game 0's and going to EVERY high score review and giving it a thumbs down and every low score review a thumbs up. Must be so sad to have nothing to do in your lives but troll metacritic. Did Bioware kill your cat? Anywho, wonderful MMO with fantastic story telling, big worlds to explore, great graphics, and beautiful Star Wars music.
  10. Dec 26, 2011
    This game is incredible in comparison to any other MMO I've ever played. It takes a formula and enriches it; adds to it until you are given a game that is near perfect. The combat is comparable to other MMOs, but it feels like it requires a lot more strategy to take down a group of enemies or a boss than just spamming keys. Also, it's visually pleasing. I don't care what people say,This game is incredible in comparison to any other MMO I've ever played. It takes a formula and enriches it; adds to it until you are given a game that is near perfect. The combat is comparable to other MMOs, but it feels like it requires a lot more strategy to take down a group of enemies or a boss than just spamming keys. Also, it's visually pleasing. I don't care what people say, but aesthetics truly add to the immersion factor of the combat. I think the best thing I've come across though is the story. Most MMOs put the story secondarily and force you to read paragraphs of text to put your quests into context. The Old Republic is fully voiced and it certainly adds to the belief that you're a character in a living, breathing universe. Expand
  11. Dec 26, 2011
    The game is fun. Alot are too busy to write positive reviews cause they are enjoying the game, hell it's killing me to write this cause I would rather be playing.

If you notice alot of the complaints on here are minor issues, minor complaints about small details that don't even matter. Overall the game is FUN. The game is designed to be savored and enjoyed, not rushed through. Of

The game is designed to be savored and enjoyed, not rushed through. Of course you will have problems finding groups if you have rushed forward through PUG groups and gotten to a point to where your gear completely sucks. You have to take time to farm rep, lightside/darkside points and commendations if you want to be abe to compete later on.

It's designed where backtracking and building your character up is absolutely essential and quite enjoyable. It's old school RPG gameplay mixed with an MMO environment that gradually builds as your character does.

Take time and enjoy the game, don't rush it, make the most of all the content, in the end it pays off ALOT. Most MMO's don't payoff until you get into big groups, Star Wars TOR pays off constantly and is enjoyable for every type of gamer.

It's a melding of casual and hardcore structure that until this point all other MMO's have failed to combine. It's isn't super easy and at the same time isn't extremely difficult, teamwork and strategy can make just as much difference as stats and gear.

The balance is strong with this one.
  12. Dec 26, 2011
    People from other MMOs should feel right at home in this game, It rely on many trusted mechanics so that people dont have re invent the wheel. It has some great aspects in the game like Space combat, crafting and the fully voiced cutscenes that set it apart from other MMOs on the Market, The main storylines are great for propelling you through the leveling process and companions are aPeople from other MMOs should feel right at home in this game, It rely on many trusted mechanics so that people dont have re invent the wheel. It has some great aspects in the game like Space combat, crafting and the fully voiced cutscenes that set it apart from other MMOs on the Market, The main storylines are great for propelling you through the leveling process and companions are a great addition to the game. When you want a change of pace from the single player aspects then theres group quests to do as well as flashpoints which can be changling and require teamwork. This game has just realeased but i can tell it can only go up from here, with more patches and additions this could turn out to be something really special. Expand
  13. Dec 27, 2011
    I simply do not understand the bad reviews here?!?!? I am a former WOW and Rift player. SWTOR has everything, and more, that these two MMOs offer. I simply cannot wait to get back online to continue my main's quest story (smuggler). Loving every minute and ca't wait for end-game. Also loving the fact that I don't need to roam the countryside to scavenge.
  14. Dec 27, 2011
    This game is nearly the experience that all of us were looking for. BioWare fans and Star Wars fan alike all speak in chat about the wonderful things this game has done for them. Good job BioWare. I only give it a 9 because of the sub-par servers and minor bugs.
  15. Dec 27, 2011
    I just don't get the low scores here. TOR is well done and the story is very interesting. The instancing that people are complaining about are a non-issue as it is easy to group and to move instances. Anyone calling TOR a WoW clone hasn't played the game. TOR has the mechanics of most MMOs on the market, but questing is far more interesting, as there are very few kill X of Y quests,I just don't get the low scores here. TOR is well done and the story is very interesting. The instancing that people are complaining about are a non-issue as it is easy to group and to move instances. Anyone calling TOR a WoW clone hasn't played the game. TOR has the mechanics of most MMOs on the market, but questing is far more interesting, as there are very few kill X of Y quests, and the story is quite engaging. Not only that, but your decisions matter. Your character grows, based on your decisions. The Flashpoints have a story and don't take 6 hours to complete. Each class has their own unique storyline and they really make you care about what you are doing. This is where Bioware shines. The story is excellent and always well done.

Oh, and grinding isn't needed in this game as quests and side quests offer plenty of XP and rewards.
  16. Dec 27, 2011
    I notice there seems to be a lot of haters on here making the same cookie-cutter comments about the game. There's a thing called Stockholm Syndrome. My guess is that the haters here are likely suffering from Blizzard/WoW Stockholm Syndrome. They've come to identify with their captors, and the idea of another company coming along and creating something better than the company they'reI notice there seems to be a lot of haters on here making the same cookie-cutter comments about the game. There's a thing called Stockholm Syndrome. My guess is that the haters here are likely suffering from Blizzard/WoW Stockholm Syndrome. They've come to identify with their captors, and the idea of another company coming along and creating something better than the company they're currently attached to is just downright frightening.

Star Wars Galaxies was run by SOE; the same disaster of a group that handled DCUO and a number of other fail-sauce MMO's. SWG was a solid first shot, but fell apart as soon as they introduced the Jedi without any proper counter-balanced class.

Now, does this game take a lot of what's right with WoW and do it? Sure it does. Name a single MMO that has come out in the past 7 years that hasn't borrowed from WoW in some form or fashion.

Then you get the whiners that are complaining about the instancing of zones. Instanced zones means more stable servers, less crashing, less disconnects. As Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing!"

The truth about SWTOR is that this game is wicked good. The graphics on a good video card look fantastic. If you're playing on some crap rig with less than a GTX 4xx then you're missing out. The game is far beyond what WoW is, by a long shot. If you can't find something to like about this game, you're going in with a bias. Period.
  17. Dec 27, 2011
    Don't listen to all of the trolls on this site; TOR is an awesome refinement of the basic MMO structure with a healthy dose of story. All of its features work well and are fun. Crafting especially is a step above similar games. If you have never liked WoW or other similar MMOs, don't expect TOR to change your mind. While it doesn't innovate much, it is the Star Wars game many have beenDon't listen to all of the trolls on this site; TOR is an awesome refinement of the basic MMO structure with a healthy dose of story. All of its features work well and are fun. Crafting especially is a step above similar games. If you have never liked WoW or other similar MMOs, don't expect TOR to change your mind. While it doesn't innovate much, it is the Star Wars game many have been waiting for. Expand
  18. Dec 27, 2011
    This is by far the best mmo i have played to date and i have played a lot of them. I does have a few bugs but most new mmos have 10x more. there is some reuse of textures and buildings but wow is a bigger offender of it. and if anyone cares to look you cant judge pvp based on anything other than max level because it will be unbalanced to an extent and graphics are amazing as long as youThis is by far the best mmo i have played to date and i have played a lot of them. I does have a few bugs but most new mmos have 10x more. there is some reuse of textures and buildings but wow is a bigger offender of it. and if anyone cares to look you cant judge pvp based on anything other than max level because it will be unbalanced to an extent and graphics are amazing as long as you dont have a Windows ME grade computer. Also if you take the time to listen to the VO its like watching a movie that you control. I to this date have not had to look at the quest log to find out about single quest. NO MORE QUEST TEXT. And one other thing, the people that thought this was going to be KOTOR 3 apparently didnt look at the genre, apparently, its not just rpg its MMORPG so you will not get the full benefit of the game unless you group up. Also the fact that there are mini instances throughout the game is awesome. not many people enjoyed the first few days of cataclysm because of spawn times. the instances fix that issue, and bioware did it to the best of anyone's ability. Expand
  19. Dec 28, 2011
    Hats off to Bioware for creating a fantastic MMO experience! The storytelling mode alone makes this game incredible and even more fun when playing with your friends in a flashpoint (instance). Along with the story I've had so much fun with many other elements of the game from companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on. Out of the game I like the way Bioware is working onHats off to Bioware for creating a fantastic MMO experience! The storytelling mode alone makes this game incredible and even more fun when playing with your friends in a flashpoint (instance). Along with the story I've had so much fun with many other elements of the game from companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on. Out of the game I like the way Bioware is working on issues and every login I see a small patches here and there fixing problems. Even when they had Que issues in beginning they jumped to add and improve servers. If you are a Star Wars fan and like the MMO world you will not be disappointed. Expand
  20. Dec 28, 2011
    Great job of incorporating Story elements into an MMO. All the features my not be there yet but they're coming. If you're on the fence, give it 6 months before checking it out.
  21. Dec 28, 2011
    One of the Best MMO Ever. The graphics are cool, the story is great, good balance and gameplay. Some minor problems in PVP but they ll be resolved pretty soon. The game is more interesting then any MMO i ve ever played.
  22. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is the most innovative mmorpg out there at the moment thanks to multidialog and quests changing based on your choice. There are just peoples who think that if you don't find "action" on gameplay there is no innovation, action exists in game genre from ever and in mmorpgs as well. Instead if you like the dialog system of Bioware you will not find any mmorpg with the same feature,This game is the most innovative mmorpg out there at the moment thanks to multidialog and quests changing based on your choice. There are just peoples who think that if you don't find "action" on gameplay there is no innovation, action exists in game genre from ever and in mmorpgs as well. Instead if you like the dialog system of Bioware you will not find any mmorpg with the same feature, you will never leave this one until Bioware decide to do a second one.
    All other mmorpgs are boring, just farming. This one.. you level up without even checking the level bar, just from story to story, from cooperative with friends to minigames, pvp and crafting, exploration and secrets, the day is gone and you're a bit stronger. You remember each quest you did, if you're not just a console gamer of nowdays action only, you will find that this wheel runs very well and different. Dialogs in cooperative (with friends) are a pure innovation not only in mmorpgs but in game genre, there is no other mmorpg that may say the same out there, other mmorpg are just the usual farming and action will not solve this (Tera already failed in its land, you'll see the others).
    The game is not a 10, it's an 8 for me (but the other mmorpgs are 5, I hate farming and I was abandoning the genre for that), I put this vote just because I think the users that vote 0 to a good game like this must be balanced by somebody (this vote system sucks really, failed completely).
  23. Dec 29, 2011
    I've tested WoW, AoC, DD online, DC online and SW:TOR beta and i must say that SW:TOR is the best MMO what I've played. WoW is too overrated and now it seems like Blizzard has used all ideas because they added pandas to Wow which is just stupidest thing what they have done... And now Bioware has made masterwork of MMO which will be The best of MMORPG!!!! May the force be with you Bioware...
  24. Dec 29, 2011
    Superb! The last real MMO I played a character to level 50 (three times) was Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC). I have to grin when I see so many "SWTOR is a WoW clone" comments, when in fact WoW was cloned from DAOC and Everquest, but I expect most of the WoW players were still in nappies when EQ and DAOC ruled the MMO roost.

But I digress. SWTOR is solid, fun, bug-free for the most part, has

But I digress. SWTOR is solid, fun, bug-free for the most part, has an epic audio environment and solid, fun combat. A great 3D engine that does not stress most PCs, and the promise from Bioware of more content and expansions ... I think this one is a keeper for me.

I am a casual MMO player. By that I usually spend less than an hour at a time playing. So in that respect, SWTOR is perfect since it does not force me into gameplay mechanics which are antisocial to my real life.

I think this game has a solid future, and I'm enjoying it immensely. 10/10
  25. Dec 30, 2011
    The large amount of negative reviews is laughable to me. I am thoroughly enjoying The Old Republic. The game is most certainly not without its flaws. The pvp is unbalanced, disconnects are too frequent to be acceptable in the long run and while the voice acting is pretty awesome most of the time I do find myself skipping through some of the cutscenes to get back in the action occasionally.The large amount of negative reviews is laughable to me. I am thoroughly enjoying The Old Republic. The game is most certainly not without its flaws. The pvp is unbalanced, disconnects are too frequent to be acceptable in the long run and while the voice acting is pretty awesome most of the time I do find myself skipping through some of the cutscenes to get back in the action occasionally. A lot of the complaints I've seen are based on the fact that it is a "wow clone". I don't disagree with this but I feel like a lot of the reasons that wow had a customer base of multiple millions for 6 years is because it had what many mmo gamers were looking for and there is nothing wrong with sticking to a similar formula. As a bounty hunter I have found the questlines to be intriguing and enjoy the Mass Effect-esque dialogue wheel. The game does a fantastic job making me feel like the hero in my story. The early flashpoints and heroic group quests feel well tuned to easing new mmo players into the genre and become more challenging as you level up. The crew skills seemed a little off at first but as i became accustomed to them I like the fact that you can multi task with them and are not forced to stand in a city by an auction house to grind them up. As i am only level 32 at the time I have not yet experienced any of the endgame content and that of course will be a big factor in determining how long I subscribe. But at the moment I am optimistic about it and my guild plans on starting operations in January. All in all I'm very impressed with the game and I feel that if Bioware takes a page out of Blizzard's book and listens to their community when making changes they will be able to keep this game afloat for a good while. Give Bioware time to smooth out the rough spots and connection issues and let the game have its growing pains. In the meantime enjoy it for the engaging storylines and the best part of the mmo genre: killing e-beasts with your friends. If the cards are played right this game will only improve with time. Expand
  26. Dec 30, 2011
    While it isn't revolutionary, once you have played an MMO with full voiceovers, it would be difficult to go back to text based games.

The crafting system is addicting, and there are very few bugs for a launch title. Not to mention the story is pretty amazing for an MMO. If you're a Star Wars fan, you'll want to pick this one up, for sure.
  27. Dec 30, 2011
    Having played every decent MMO since Ultima Online and being an avid gamer all my life i can state the following regarding SWTOR :
    Just Like most MMO's and so many pioneering games Swtor is doomed to have hate posters all over. Mainly people who see their wow guilds being disbanded because half or more of their guildmates left the game for SWTOR will go get their anger out on every forum they can.
    It is wrong to compare it to any other game. Swtor is unique in many ways mostly the depth of the story that they made for each class as well as the amazing work that was done on the music that surrounds the game everywhere you go. The game is very stable the population on the servers is exactly what it should be the speed that you get a group for an instance or pvp is really good.
    It is a game for almost everyone i could say although i cant talk about the end game as i havent reached that level yet. each class has a very distinctive role in groups in PVE or PVP environment. all in all i highly recommend the game to solo or group players to star wars and non star wars fans. i do not recommend it to people who will want an improved version of wow or EQ or anything in that respect. SWTOR is Unique in many more ways than one its an Epic production from Bioware and Lucas arts, its not here to change the genre its here to make players HAPPY !
  28. Dec 31, 2011
    Having played DDO online , WoW and Everquest for far more hours than I would like to admit, I can say without hesitation, that this is one of the best games I have ever played. For the players who prefer to quest on their own, you DONT NEED GROUPS to gain levels and have a great time. If you are a social gamer, the guilds are plentyful and I've come across some really nice players who areHaving played DDO online , WoW and Everquest for far more hours than I would like to admit, I can say without hesitation, that this is one of the best games I have ever played. For the players who prefer to quest on their own, you DONT NEED GROUPS to gain levels and have a great time. If you are a social gamer, the guilds are plentyful and I've come across some really nice players who are willing to help. The game has not gone through any major re-vamp since its release showing they really took their time prior to releasing it. The story line is amazing and I have had 0 problems with graphics or slow down. Im currently a lvl 30 Jedi Sentinel Dual Wielding lightsabers and teaching my padawan the ways of the force... its GREAT :)
    To be fair though, the chat system is not as good as I think it could be and there is no online talking chat service available, players instead opt for other chat options... I prefer to just type but I see the fun in talking with buddies while playing...
    Finally the side games... there are 3 different PVP games that are played and I have not seen mentioned anywhere. One is like a football game where players get a ball and try to score while the other team tries to stop u. One is a capture the flag style game, and the final is a break through walls game while the other team tries to stop u. All are fun.
    If you just want a game to kick back to and have a good time this game is for u. If you want to lvl up and become the strongest jedi in the universe, this is it. If u r looking for something like WoW, this is not it. The WoW game has NOTHING of the depth or story line this does. This is also easy to navigate in and UNDERSTAND what quest you are on, what you are doing, and where to go next (With thrown in side quests and some fun crafting options)
    Hope this helps for those that are thinking of playing. I highly recommend you come and join me :) P.S. I've been playing for around 10 days now and still LOVE IT!
  29. Dec 31, 2011
    This game is amazing. The worlds feel real. Everywhere you go it is obvious that immense amounts of detail and thought were put in. Obviously the game does revolutionize mmo mechanics. Thats not what it set out to do. What it does do is create a Star Wars galaxy with a great story, immersive worlds, and streamlined combat and features. I have not stopped playing this game since I got itThis game is amazing. The worlds feel real. Everywhere you go it is obvious that immense amounts of detail and thought were put in. Obviously the game does revolutionize mmo mechanics. Thats not what it set out to do. What it does do is create a Star Wars galaxy with a great story, immersive worlds, and streamlined combat and features. I have not stopped playing this game since I got it and thats how it will stay. Expand
  30. Jan 1, 2012
    Star Wars: The Old Republicâ
  31. Jan 1, 2012
    SW:TOR is a great game, period. I think many of the people who are knocking it because of the similarities to WoW need some perspective. WoW was not the first MMORPG. What made it great is that it "copied" all of the good things from earlier MMOs (Everquest, Asheron's Call, DAoC, etc) and made them better. In the same way, SW:TOR has taken/copied what was good about WoW and improvedSW:TOR is a great game, period. I think many of the people who are knocking it because of the similarities to WoW need some perspective. WoW was not the first MMORPG. What made it great is that it "copied" all of the good things from earlier MMOs (Everquest, Asheron's Call, DAoC, etc) and made them better. In the same way, SW:TOR has taken/copied what was good about WoW and improved upon it. People buy and play new games because they are better versions of what came before. Millions of people bought COD:MW3 because it was BETTER than Black Ops and MW2, not because it revolutionized the FPS genre. SW:TOR will not change the basic format of MMOs, but it is simply a better overall experience than what you find in WoW. The number one and most noticeable improvement is the addition of an actual story. You really care about your character in SW:TOR in a way you never do in WoW. Your character feels like an actual person with a real personality, and it makes the entire world that much more engaging. Sure, there are many improvements that they can and will make to polish the game even further, but this must be the most complete experience ever delivered by a brand new MMO. If you enjoy MMOs or Star Wars or both, it is in your best interest to give this game a shot. Expand
  32. Jan 2, 2012
    I don't quite understand all the hate for this game. I have experienced very minor bugs, such as the abilities looking like they are not cooling down, but those are easily bypassed. It baffles me that the negative reviews are complaining about lag, crashes, and server issues. I have only crashed a single time, and disconnected maybe 2 times in the 3 weeks I've played. This is significantlyI don't quite understand all the hate for this game. I have experienced very minor bugs, such as the abilities looking like they are not cooling down, but those are easily bypassed. It baffles me that the negative reviews are complaining about lag, crashes, and server issues. I have only crashed a single time, and disconnected maybe 2 times in the 3 weeks I've played. This is significantly more stable than most, if not all other MMOs at launch.

The battle system reminded me of KOTOR, only heavily stylized and faster paced. The user interface does interfere with the

The graphics are also easy on the eye, not great, but they definitely will not hurt you, unless you're a graphics whore. If you go through the trouble of forcing anti-aliasing (an option that is baffingly absent), you will find the game actually looks great.

If you actually paid attention to the quest giver, it gives you a sense of purpose for that quest, significantly decreasing the "grind" feeling. Your class quest starts off slow, but picks up significantly after the end of your 1st act. The animation only looks stiff if you compare it to a single player game, but then you remember most MMOs have a set looping attack animation and skill animations. In SWTOR, you can watch your character deflect the bolts and attacks coming at him from multiple angles (if you're a lighstaber wielder). Each class and their mirror has its own mechanic: The Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight needs to build up fury/focus with basic attacks or other skills, the Trooper/Bounty Hunter can instantly regenerate their mana, the Smuggler/Imperial Agent has a cover mechanic, which lets yo use cover skills and also gives a defensive bonus, and the Sith Inquisitor/Jedi Consular has a traditional mana system.

The classes also branch into 2 advanced classes, both of which branches your class into two very different roles. For example, the Inquisitor has a skill that knocks back all enemies around him/her. When he becomes a Sorcerer, this skill becomes a defensive tactic against anyone surrounding him. If he becomes an Assassin, however, the skill is redefined into an ambush skill, one of which you can knock people off cliffs or stun them long enough for you to inflict severe damage.

There are quests called Heroic Quests and Flashpoints. Heroic quests take place on a planet, and usually require you to find a group to have a hope of completing it. Flashpoints are story-heavy instances, where you and 3 other players take the role of a strike team. I've found that Flashpoints are disappointingly empty story-wise, from your first flashpoint, to the flashpoint where you encounter a character from KOTOR 1 and 2. (hint hint) The final flashpoints feel like episode 6 of the Star Wars saga, extremely dramatic and gives you a genuine desperation feeling. Each Flashpoint boss has its own strategy, which you will need to figure out to beat. My team and I wiped on one flashpoint boss several times before we searched up the strategy.

PVP is fun, but there is only 3 warzones so far. It also definitely favors the higher levelled characters, as they have skills and fully specced trees that give them the advantage. For example, my Sith Juggernaut's Force Charge will stun the enemy, and I can move while using Force Choke. This definitely gives me the edge in PVP. However, it is a very slight edge, and most matchups come down to whoever has more skill.

I would give this a full score, but there is one severe flaw: endgame. There is absolutely nothing to do at endgame except one raid. The single player quests which take place on Ilum also turn into a grind fest quickly, and you will be better of starting another character.

Bioware has promised many features unavailable in most other MMOs, one of them being the fabled "Guild Capital Ship". They have also promised more planets, more flashpoints, more warzones, and most importantly, more raids. I look forward to watching this game grow and develop as time passes.
  33. Jan 2, 2012
    As a disclaimer, the last reall MMO I played in depth was Everquest and before that Ultima Online, so this new generation of MMOs (including WoW) has never entered into the equation in regards to what I play. Saying that, I don't think that I have ever played a game that has captured the essence of Star Wars so well; I am absolutely having a blast playing SW:TOR. I am not a video gameAs a disclaimer, the last reall MMO I played in depth was Everquest and before that Ultima Online, so this new generation of MMOs (including WoW) has never entered into the equation in regards to what I play. Saying that, I don't think that I have ever played a game that has captured the essence of Star Wars so well; I am absolutely having a blast playing SW:TOR. I am not a video game reviewer, so I will keep this short and sweet: I think about playing this game many times while I am doing other things, including playing other games! I was playing Uncharted 3 a day ago (which is part of one of my favorite series of all time) and I thought to myself, "I should really go play some SW:TOR. I'm missing out on the action!"

Suffice to say, the story is what brings the whole package together. I've always been a fan of Bioware and how they tell their stories, and even though this game is an MMO, they have still captured that same brilliance in this regard. Even many of the subplots are quite amazing!

I have a feeling that much of the negativity on this review board stems from people who have played and got bored with WoW and don't find this to be as big of a step that they were expecting or are still playing religiously and are afraid that this game may steal some of it's thunder. As a new player of the new generation of MMOs, I can honestly say that I couldn't have asked for much more. I am in love!
  34. Jan 3, 2012
    The Old Republic is jam packed with content. Playing through the first two worlds on both Republic and Imperial sides, I have enjoyed several hours of gameplay and it feels like I just scratched the surface. I review this game as a casual WoW player who enjoys single player RPGs and Bioware has done a great job bringing the genres together. The Old Republic includes voice acted questThe Old Republic is jam packed with content. Playing through the first two worlds on both Republic and Imperial sides, I have enjoyed several hours of gameplay and it feels like I just scratched the surface. I review this game as a casual WoW player who enjoys single player RPGs and Bioware has done a great job bringing the genres together. The Old Republic includes voice acted quest progression that immerses the player into the story rather than the game. Much like in the KOTOR series your actions help form your character's story while also giving you benefits for the MMO such as being able to equip an evil light saber. Every player also uses a companion NPC which has useful abilities to aid your particular class (a healer for tanks for example). These companions will do crafting missions to gather resources as well as turn materials into items for the player. Crafting is simple and very similar to other MMOs; however, Bioware has included a chance for players to craft exceptional gear which adds bonuses to items and also allows them to craft the upgraded version into an even higher quality item. The Star Wars universe feels extremely large even before you're able to fly your own ship. Players take speeder bikes or taxis around huge maps giving each section of the world a large amount of space to expand and room for more quests and story. Groups of players can take on difficult missions called Heroics for bigger rewards and harder challenges. There are also many Flashpoints (TOR version of dungeons/instances) with full story lines and strategic boss battles for advanced players and teams. With only 7 days of experience, I still have so much left to play: PVP, Operations (raids), datacron searching (Google it), and space battles! I would recommend The Old Republic to players with patience, fast reaction, critical thinking, and at least a small fondness for the Star Wars universe. It is expected for a game with thousands of quests, a hundred zones, and millions of players to have bugs in the first month of its release. Many reviewers expect this game to be polished out of the box and blow all other MMOs out of the competition, but this is simply just another great game that everyone should play. Bioware has put an estimated 200-300 million dollars into the development of this game and they're listening to their players, do not underestimate the potential of The Old Republic. Expand
  35. Jan 3, 2012
    End game pvp consists of fighting low level players in warzones. It is completely unchallenging for the level 50s and impossibly frustrating for level 10 - 40s. There are no level brackets. The system is an absolute joke.

PvP gets a score of 2 out of 10.

The questing gets an 8/10

Average score for the game 6/10

Reccomend: Not worth buying
  36. Jan 5, 2012
    This game is great, lots of fun, the best PvE I've ever seen so far in a Mmo (f2p or p2p), kinda wow clone with star wars theme (and that's great 'cuz I love vanilla wow but nowadays Cataclysm sucks so I was waiting for something like this, same gameplay, different stylah).

It has bugs, but who cares, they'll get fixed asap, in 6 months I bet this game will be even moar awesome, with end game raids and pvp shining in the sky like a bright star... just like Nar Shadda.

Btw I've never been a SW fanboy, I liked 4 of the 6 movies (the original trilogy and the last one), and I barely knew any of SW lore before playing this, and i'm enjoying all questlines... so you don't need to be a fanboy to like this game ^^ .
  37. Jan 6, 2012
    I have played MMO's since the original EverQuest. I enjoy this more than any game I have ever played... Sound like a fanboi? Probably, but I have not ever reviewed another game, on any other site. It is quite simply, a wonderful game.
  38. Jan 6, 2012
    Where are the early reviews like G4's 5/5. This game is awesome and should be reflected as such.
    It is no doubt MMO of the year and the best total package to come along in some time.
  39. wkk
    Jan 7, 2012
    Excellent game. Won't please any WoW fanboys though. If you are looking for another replica of WoW, look elsewhere. But if you are sick of WoW and the many clones out there, come on in. The negative ratings by many of you just shows how silly you are. On one hand you hope for a game different from WoW but criticize it when it doesn't feel like WoW. Stick on to WoW for life and spare othersExcellent game. Won't please any WoW fanboys though. If you are looking for another replica of WoW, look elsewhere. But if you are sick of WoW and the many clones out there, come on in. The negative ratings by many of you just shows how silly you are. On one hand you hope for a game different from WoW but criticize it when it doesn't feel like WoW. Stick on to WoW for life and spare others of your narrow vision of what is considered a fun game. Expand
  40. Jan 7, 2012
    I can't believe some of these people on here are able to function in normal society...
    This game is fantastic and if you haven't picked it up yet you owe it to yourself to do so. Yes, it is an mmorpg and has many of the staples that every other mmorpg has. If you don't like mmorpg's, don't play them. Does the game have similarites to WoW? Of course it does. However, it is much better in every way. The story elements are fantastic, no longer do you right click an exclamtion point and hit accept. The gameplay is smooth and polished, and visually exciting. Never have I played an mmo at launch with as FEW bugs and problems as SWTOR. I say few because there are some minor ones, which will no doubt be ironed out with patches.

You people on metacritic are ridiculous, I made an account just to make that point. It's like every game that comes out now that is "too similar" to another game you just give a 0. This game is wonderful and will only get better, you'd be doing yourself a favor by picking it up and not listening to these trolls.
  41. Jan 8, 2012
    SWTOR comes with a big caveat: if you're one of those people who drools over sandbox MMO's and can only enjoy those MMO's or MMO's of 10 years ago or if you're one those gamers who have grown jaded and burnt themselves out on themepark MMO's after playing them for many years and many thousands of hours, then look elsewhere: SWTOR is not the MMO you're looking for. It should be obvious toSWTOR comes with a big caveat: if you're one of those people who drools over sandbox MMO's and can only enjoy those MMO's or MMO's of 10 years ago or if you're one those gamers who have grown jaded and burnt themselves out on themepark MMO's after playing them for many years and many thousands of hours, then look elsewhere: SWTOR is not the MMO you're looking for. It should be obvious to everyone who has an inkling of knowledge about MMORPG's: SWTOR is a themepark MMORPG in the style of WoW, LotrO, Rift and others in that MMO subgenre. Those people who have lost the ability to enjoy themselves in themepark MMO's or lacked that ability from the start, I'd advice to steer away from SWTOR, unless you enjoyed former BW games or can appreciate a more story focused questing experience. However, those people who up till now had a great time with themepark MMO's like WoW, LotrO, Aion, and/or Rift, SWTOR has a wealth to offer. All the usual MMO features like open world PvP, dungeons, battlegrounds (warzones), large planets to explore and crafting are fused with BW's brand of story crafting and level of quality. Does BW's own twist makes a difference? Hell yes! I can honestly say that BW's approach to adding more immersive story to the gameplay makes questing the most interesting, immersive experience I have had so far in any MMO in 10 years of playing MMO's. I tried Rift a year ago, and I found the questing boring as hell, making leveling a lot more tedious. I got a glimpse of how story can make questing and leveling more fun in MMO's like LotrO book quests and AoC's Tortage and destiny quests. But SWTOR upgrades it to another level and fully immerses you in that kind of questing experience. And it's great. Add to that huge planets to explore (those that enjoyed exploring in vast worlds like Asheron's Call and Everquest will certainly love this aspect in SWTOR), crafting that's more varied and fun than in as good as all other MMO's, and PvP fun to be had in objective based open world PvP, Free-For-All PvP and SWTOR's battlegrounds with a fun gladiator sports style arena like Huttball, and there's a lot to keep busy and entertained with, at least for gamers who're still able to enjoy themepark MMO's :-) I'm looking forward to what more BW has planned with SWTOR. Expand
  42. Jan 8, 2012
    Having played tons of mmo's, mudd's, digital and pen/paper rpg's I am going to rate this in the top 15% of my gaming experiences. It still has some minor yet annoying bugs so it doesn't get a top 10%, but I think it has the potential to end up there. It is likely that many of the nay-say'ers don't remember the bugs and shortcomings that UO, EQ or WoW had when they were new, let alone howHaving played tons of mmo's, mudd's, digital and pen/paper rpg's I am going to rate this in the top 15% of my gaming experiences. It still has some minor yet annoying bugs so it doesn't get a top 10%, but I think it has the potential to end up there. It is likely that many of the nay-say'ers don't remember the bugs and shortcomings that UO, EQ or WoW had when they were new, let alone how far this kind of gaming has come from it's roots; games like Zork, Adventure Construction Set, the many mudd's and bbs games to appreciate the potential of this game. I think we have all become a little spoiled and look for what to pick apart instead of appreciating the magnitude and beauty of what we have. Expand
  43. Jan 9, 2012
    LOL i love all the 0`s that people are posting just to bring down the score, lets be honest, is it revolutionary? no. Does it need to be ? no. when you by new music from an artist you are expecting it to sound a certain way, when you purchase a game following a certain genre your expecting it to be a certain style of game play. I have found Biowares Latest entry into the MMO community toLOL i love all the 0`s that people are posting just to bring down the score, lets be honest, is it revolutionary? no. Does it need to be ? no. when you by new music from an artist you are expecting it to sound a certain way, when you purchase a game following a certain genre your expecting it to be a certain style of game play. I have found Biowares Latest entry into the MMO community to be great, with several improvements in the genre i.e.: no auto attack. Expand
  44. Jan 10, 2012
    I am hitting myself for buying into the hype. I'm not a fan of StarWars, though I am a fan of MMORPG's and ScienceFiction/Fantasy so this seemed a safe buy. I was hesitant at first, but as soon as the majority of my friends bought it I knew I had to as well. What a mistake. Boring, repetitive, empty, sluggish and buggy. Not a BAD game, but not worthy of being called anything beyondI am hitting myself for buying into the hype. I'm not a fan of StarWars, though I am a fan of MMORPG's and ScienceFiction/Fantasy so this seemed a safe buy. I was hesitant at first, but as soon as the majority of my friends bought it I knew I had to as well. What a mistake. Boring, repetitive, empty, sluggish and buggy. Not a BAD game, but not worthy of being called anything beyond mediocre, if only because of it's good - not great - graphics (though by today's standards isn't saying much) and I must admit great voice acting. I tried REALLY hard to like this game, but to no avail. PvP is lackluster, with no skill involved, and instances are so simple it's pathetic. I have also heard from end game players that there is only ONE RAID, which is bugged to the max. I canceled my subscription already, and have a another week or so for the 30 free days but I won't be playing it again. If you like WoW like I do for it's polished, accessible, vast world and lore, I would suggest you avoid this bland in comparison copy with a StarWars skin. If you hate WoW then perhaps this is the game for you. Expand
  45. Jan 11, 2012
    Well lets see, SWTOR is in short...great! Bioware managed to make a game that is not so different that people will be scared off but at the same time they made it innovative and fresh. People are saying that there is no innovation, and I invite these people to find me another MMO with fully voice acting, individual stories for every class and the ability to change the direction of questWell lets see, SWTOR is in short...great! Bioware managed to make a game that is not so different that people will be scared off but at the same time they made it innovative and fresh. People are saying that there is no innovation, and I invite these people to find me another MMO with fully voice acting, individual stories for every class and the ability to change the direction of quest lines. The game looks a lot like WOW did in its earlier stages which may make people think twice, but don't Bioware is adding updates all the time to streamline, what is already a very smooth game. All that said this is NOT that WOW killer that people have been calling it, I say that because there has never even been a game that matched WOW so bringing down the giant will take many, many improvements. SWTOR will defiantly be the first to match WOW in size and this will make for great competition that will ultimately improve both games. This game is a very innovative addition to the MMO world and will probably start a new generation of story based, fully voiced games. Final note to haters, you are free to not like SWTOR but don't act out by giving it these awful reveiws when you know that it is not as bad as you make it out to be! Expand
  46. Jan 11, 2012
    With the exception of Space Combat being so generic, this is a fantastic game! Though similar in its core to World of Warcraft, I actually care about the storyline. In WoW I was gone after 1 month of play from boredom which I don't foresee here. Hopefully, Space will be expanded upon so that it's closer to Star Wars Galaxies. Unless there is a game for this in particular I'm unaware of?
  47. Jan 12, 2012
    Star Wars: The Old Republic does not much differently to World Of Warcraft. The controls are the same pretty much and the integral game play mechanics are the same.

However, it's the story that drags you in, unlike WoW, it is not a wall of text, it IS interesting, you care about your character, you want to find out what happens next. Also, I think it's disgusting how people have come

Also, I think it's disgusting how people have come onto the site simply to troll the game.

It is excellent - buy it!
  48. Jan 12, 2012
    Pleasantly surprised by the game. It isn't what I was expecting, and I'd still like to see more out of it like co-op and pvp in space etc, but it's off to a good start.
  49. Jan 13, 2012
    This game is amazing! The game is extremely well put together.Star Wars the Old Republic is a good MMORPG experience focused on storytelling, plot and involving characters. Voice acting is very good for a MMO game. Gameplay is fun and story is great. Flashpoints are fun. I enjoy having companions as I did with the original Kotor series that swtor spun off from.
  50. Jan 13, 2012
    I've been playing MMOs since the days of EQ1. From EQ2, Conan, Anarchy Online, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, DAoC and WoW, I have to say, no MMO has pulled me into the story quite like SWTOR. Finally, I feel like I'm actually part of the story. The class centric main quests are done so well, I can see why the developers said that SWTOR is really KOTOR x 8. From presentation, combat systems,I've been playing MMOs since the days of EQ1. From EQ2, Conan, Anarchy Online, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, DAoC and WoW, I have to say, no MMO has pulled me into the story quite like SWTOR. Finally, I feel like I'm actually part of the story. The class centric main quests are done so well, I can see why the developers said that SWTOR is really KOTOR x 8. From presentation, combat systems, crafting systems, great quest system, I have to say that SWTOR has surpassed all of my expectations. I strongly recommend it. Expand
  51. Jan 13, 2012
    Most of the reviews are from bitter fans of games that are rapidly losing their subscriptions to this one. This is the most rich and story focused MMO ever made. Play the game, let it speak for itself. If you're looking for a meaningful experience, and not just another MMO grind, you won't be disappointed. And this is just the game at launch!
  52. Jan 14, 2012
    The best MMORPG out there, end of. The PVP is great fun, especially Illum, couple that with Excellent story telling, great community, and engaging combat, its everything you could want and more from an MMO
  53. Jan 14, 2012
    Star war the old republich is much better than WoW for now, I can say that cazu I have play WoW 7 years, and there is nothing new in WoW just endless raid and quite easy, but SWTOR has push the MMO in a new direction. WoW is a good MMO ever, but it does not means no one can do better than WoW. So do not fight with myself if you can not accept SWTOR.
  54. Jan 15, 2012
    This game is AMAZING! It is NOT a reskinned WoW like all of the trolls and WoW players would have you believe. It is an MMO, and a great one at that. While questing on planets, you're encouraged to group up with other players to complete certain 2-4 player heroic quests, where as in WoW if you group with others you have exp points slashed. The story is amazing, and for the first time everThis game is AMAZING! It is NOT a reskinned WoW like all of the trolls and WoW players would have you believe. It is an MMO, and a great one at that. While questing on planets, you're encouraged to group up with other players to complete certain 2-4 player heroic quests, where as in WoW if you group with others you have exp points slashed. The story is amazing, and for the first time ever I have felt the urge to roll different classes to experienc the full story. The theme of the game is more mature than that of other MMO's and the players themselves are more mature. PvP balancing is something that needs to be looked into, but that is something that can be fixed in a patch. I've encountered very few bugs, and have had no problems with performance playing this game. Overall I 'm rating this game a 10. By far the best launch and fewest problems I have ever experienced from an MMO. If you are a Star Wars fan, or a fan of Knights of the Old Republic, this game is for you! Expand
  55. Jan 17, 2012
    This is without a doubt one of the most polished and well crafted MMO to ever launch. The game isn't perfect, and the game is being patched often and fixes made to what doesn't work. What does work, has been nailed perfectly Bioware and and it's weakest areas are getting stronger.

You should be weary of reviews from users like: MagusGrandios There are people a vested interest in wanting

You should be weary of reviews from users like: MagusGrandios

There are people a vested interest in wanting the game to fail. Most of them have even touched the game. It has been rated the most helpful review. The majority of his review is full of information that is factually untrue about the game. A lot of the negative reviews on here are like that. I'm not saying all of them are, but when you've played game and, and you read some of the negative reviews, you can tell who genuinely didn't like the game, and who has obviously never touched the game and is just trolling everyone.
  56. Jan 17, 2012
    As themeparks go, this game is a great one. It doesn't redefine the genera, but it didn't try to. What it did add is fun and worthwhile.
    Character creation is more than WoW but less than, say, Aion... and though at first I didn't like it, I quickly noticed there is a great deal of variety in male characters, anyway, in the game. The UI is really barely adequate and if not for some of the other features, it would have dragged this rating lower. No macros, no addons, no ability to move anything.
    PvE combat is rather satisfying to me because instead of taking on one mob at a time, you routinely fight 3-5 mobs, including packs with tougher mobs in them. This lends to the feeling of a more "epic" experience, especially with the companion.
    PvP is good and getting better every patch. Skill really does matter (I did a premade of level 20-40s, max level or 43 and only 1 50 pug on our side and we took out one of the 'better" 50 Empire premades on our server). The Warfronts are very well designed, but Ilum (World Objective PvP Area) is not and needs a total redesign (which it is getting tomorrow)
    Questing really is fun, but don't skip the dialogue. Get into the story. If you don't find your class quest interesting, switch characters. Leveling is easy and relatively painless. The actual quest types are the same as in most every MMO before it, but the fact that most areas you travel to have special "bonus" kill quests which you can do if you want to is nice (or skip them like I did sometimes). The instances are well done and enjoyable.
    Endgame is sparse right now as far as PvE goes, with very little raiding. That isn't an issue for me as I'm still enjoying leveling etc.
    To cut to the chase:
    Innovative(Not necessarily unique though): Crafting, Companions, Space Combat Minigame, Questing System
    Good: Warfront design, class design, general combat.
    Average: Most everything else other than...
    Bad: UI
  57. Jan 18, 2012
    This is one of the best polished MMO's, especially at launch, available. At first I was a little skeptical about the 'theme park' type setup of the game, but there is enough depth (especially as you level) that it is well worth it. If you have any interest in the Star Wars world, or just in a polished and well put together MMO, this should be your next purchase.
  58. Jan 18, 2012
    Disclaimer: this is less of a review then a "so, yeah, I'm a random person and I'd like to average out teh score.." Well, so it's out and plenty of people are fairly hot and bothered like a brood of teenagers...one thing, however, that I don't get is that people actually believed it was going to be ground-breaking. The "WoW" mechanics are here to stay for a very long time despite all yourDisclaimer: this is less of a review then a "so, yeah, I'm a random person and I'd like to average out teh score.." Well, so it's out and plenty of people are fairly hot and bothered like a brood of teenagers...one thing, however, that I don't get is that people actually believed it was going to be ground-breaking. The "WoW" mechanics are here to stay for a very long time despite all your precious hype about MMOs. I ignored the game until two days before it was released, and it was finally shoved into my head that OMG IT HAZ STORYTELLIN. And since then, I've played it solely in interest of what'll happen next...however, to tell the truth, I'd dump the game in a second without the cut scenes and the choices. Actually, I wouldn't have even gotten it in the first place...honestly, it's just a dull game without all the make-up. Probably a poorer one then most popular MMOs--graphics, though selectively pleasant (for whatever reason, they removed the freakin' high resolution textures), can easily be beaten by a four or so year old MMO...gameplay itself is just about a meh. Crafting, however, is promising--if only the in game economy wasn't in some sort of recession. >_>

So on, so forth--you've heard it before. SW:TOR is a MMO that's dismal at its core--it taps into a potentially awesome aspect of story-telling that nevertheless is superficial and leaves you with that hollow sort of feeling of dissatisfaction...the majority of interesting characters (Praven, damn you!) you meet are most likely shipped off to the dumps after helping them (whilst writing you a letter), and then there's ideas that are introduced but never elaborated upon (remember the true Republic?)....beyond that, you'd think that morality would be a theme more explored, but as it is a "accessible" mass-market sell out, profoundness is massively disencouraged. With the instancing festering severely in this game (even if you could blow up a world only two or so NPCs would care), the game suffers immensely from that sense of isolation and brokenness...nothing seems to matter ten minutes after the point--not even a cute note from the person you helped can remedy it.

So, yes, the story-telling aspect basely sucks. Yet, you may ask why the hell I gave it a 10. To hopelessly try to balance out the user score, yes, but SW:TOR gives such a honest effort to make a story-driven MMO that I just can't bring myself to treat it cruelly. I'll be dumping it when I reach level 50, though I honestly will say that I genuinely enjoyed it.
  59. Jan 20, 2012
    The game has a very awesome story system, great voice acting, attractive visuals (further enhanced if you force extra effects from your video card). They haven't released high res textures yet in-game but they have stated that is coming soon. Probably the smoothest MMO launch I have ever seen (playing these sorts of games since launch day eq1). I have a 50 shadow and several alts aroundThe game has a very awesome story system, great voice acting, attractive visuals (further enhanced if you force extra effects from your video card). They haven't released high res textures yet in-game but they have stated that is coming soon. Probably the smoothest MMO launch I have ever seen (playing these sorts of games since launch day eq1). I have a 50 shadow and several alts around lvl 30 and have cleared all the operations on normal and hard mode. The game has some flaws and bugs but the developers have been good about communicating that they are aware and working on these things. Expand
  60. Jan 21, 2012
    some dont like this game because their perception of what makes a game is not present. truth is, this is a great game, having a blast with RL friends and new friends in the game. some 'features' those downgrading were desiring are personal thoughts and very few of those i know RL have desired those features and have none of the issues others are expressing.
    haters gonna hate.
  61. Jan 22, 2012
    Every MMO borrows from it's predecessors, including WOW. What needs to be looked at is what makes it different. The fact the SWTOR has a specific storyline for each class, and that the game is completely fully voiced with dialog options makes SWTOR a good cross between the traditional MMO and other bioware games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Bioware has raised the MMO standard forEvery MMO borrows from it's predecessors, including WOW. What needs to be looked at is what makes it different. The fact the SWTOR has a specific storyline for each class, and that the game is completely fully voiced with dialog options makes SWTOR a good cross between the traditional MMO and other bioware games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Bioware has raised the MMO standard for excellence and has made the foundation for a game that after a few years will contain the same content and potentially exceed the quality of WOW. Expand
  62. Jan 30, 2012
    really amazing! everyone should try it! combat is different and epic! same goes for questing

i was totally blown away by this game and i am sure a lot of others will experience the same!
  63. Jan 24, 2012
    Do not be fooled by the user score with this game. Its mostly the result of many fans being fooled by the huge hype surrounding this game up to its release. This is a great game if the player is not comparing it to their idea of what the game should be like, an idea that was doomed to be disappointed from the beginning. Again, go by the critics' reviews for this one; the game does notDo not be fooled by the user score with this game. Its mostly the result of many fans being fooled by the huge hype surrounding this game up to its release. This is a great game if the player is not comparing it to their idea of what the game should be like, an idea that was doomed to be disappointed from the beginning. Again, go by the critics' reviews for this one; the game does not deserve a 59 and many of the reviewers here are overly critical. With that said, i do not believe this game is truly a ten, at least not yet. There are a few problems in the game that are addressed in the other reviews of this game, but I am giving it a ten nonetheless in an attempt to balance out the average. All in all, if you are a lover of Bioware's previous fare or of MMORPGs in general I highly recommend this game, you will not be disappointed. Expand
  64. Jan 25, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing! I'm usually pretty judgemental & harsh about MMO's as over the last several years, every release has been an unpolished mass of boring. This is NOT the case with SW:TOR in the least bit. Sure, it has some of the bugs you would expect from a newly launched MMO, and to be quite honest with you it would and should be impossible for a game of the sheer size andThis game is absolutely amazing! I'm usually pretty judgemental & harsh about MMO's as over the last several years, every release has been an unpolished mass of boring. This is NOT the case with SW:TOR in the least bit. Sure, it has some of the bugs you would expect from a newly launched MMO, and to be quite honest with you it would and should be impossible for a game of the sheer size and scale of SW:TOR to NOT have any right off the bat. On the up side, BioWare has been very responsive and quick to release hot-fixes and patches, thus eliminating the bugs and giving us performance boosts and client/engine optimizations to boot! This is the first MMO that puts the RPG into the term "MMORPG", and it does it exceedingly well. The personal story lines for each class are intriguing for the most part, the worst probably being between the Trooper & the Jedi Knight (they're not bad though, they just seem less memorable than other classes). Contrary to what some other people are saying on here, this game is very much a MMO, and is comes nowhere close to a "lobby" game. Zones are NOT instanced, and each server is NOT a bunch of copies of rooms and channels, the "phases" only happen when there are more than like 200 people in a small area at the same time. You do have to zone into the different planets when you arrive from your ship, but each zone on every planet is COMPLETELY and utterly seamless. No zoning what-so-ever on these planets which are remarkably large and seem to go on forever, once you hit your mid to late teens. The missions in the game are more interesting than say World of Warcraft's missions; as each NPC is fully voiced and interactive with dialogue between you, any group members you may be with, and the NPC itself, which creates a far more interesting and immersive gaming experience all around.

The biggest problem the game currently faces is a faction imbalance between Republic & Empire, with the latter being the most popular side, although there are servers where the reverse is true; they are relatively rare.

At the end of the day, though if you like RPG's and MMO's, and are curious about this game than give it a go, and if you do please roll on a Heavy or Standard server, and not one of the full ones!
  65. Jan 28, 2012
    There's one thing that this game offers that very few other mmo's do, an actual role playing experience. Most other mmo's have absolutly no dialogue choice's, and very little in the way of voiced dialogue and cut scenes, making them little more than glorified 3rd person action games.

Swtor however has cutsence and fully voiced choices for each and every quest, which are not only funny/interesting/entertaining but effect your alignment and relationship with your companions. If you want to play an mmorpg and not just another souless battle focused mmo, this is the game for you.
  66. Jan 29, 2012
    This game appeals to two groups: Star Wars fans and MMO gamers. They will all have a blast with this game. As a Star Wars fan, I love the environments that feel alive and allows me to immerse myself in the Star Wars universe and it's lore and adventures. Others have mentioned a lot of other strong points about the game, but a possibly under-mentioned one is the DEVELOPER. BioWare isThis game appeals to two groups: Star Wars fans and MMO gamers. They will all have a blast with this game. As a Star Wars fan, I love the environments that feel alive and allows me to immerse myself in the Star Wars universe and it's lore and adventures. Others have mentioned a lot of other strong points about the game, but a possibly under-mentioned one is the DEVELOPER. BioWare is constantly fixing bugs and issues at blazing speed and providing new content within the first month after launch. UI customization is coming in March along with massive new content and fixes, but I'd say the constant weekly+ ticks of improvement is the best of what BioWare does. They have created a trust-based relationship with their player base (apart from the less mature part of the gamers, who are still whining on the forums, but they will come around to trust papa BioWare too ;)) Expand
  67. Jan 30, 2012
    I'm pleased with this MMO. I like the stories, the VO and the general gameplay. There have been few games and almost no other MMO that I have enjoyed more than this one.
  68. Jan 30, 2012
    This game reminds me of Vanilla W.o.W. It's a amazing game. It's hard to understand you so many people dislike this game. It's better then any MMO I've ever played so far I've sold my W.O.W. Account and have converted at least 23 people to this game and they all say it's amazing. The feel of the game seems as a single player when you play some of the mechanics are glitchy yes but that'sThis game reminds me of Vanilla W.o.W. It's a amazing game. It's hard to understand you so many people dislike this game. It's better then any MMO I've ever played so far I've sold my W.O.W. Account and have converted at least 23 people to this game and they all say it's amazing. The feel of the game seems as a single player when you play some of the mechanics are glitchy yes but that's because it's new. W.o.W. Had plenty of glitches when it started. I say those that dislike it are not patience enough to wait for all the problems to be fixed. The feel of the game can feel quite like a single player at most time with the Quest talk and the way you do the quest depends on who you are it is not lame like WoW where you get a quest and just do it. You get the quest and you can 90% of the time choose how you do it. Now another factor is that WoW has now and has ever been tainted with idiotic children, along with a very screwed up economy. If you would like a mature, helpful, and very welly priced game This game is worth your money and despite these other reviews please give this game a shot. Expand
  69. Jan 31, 2012
    I have always been a fan of star wars and have made it a point to try (almost) every star wars game that's come out. Some are great, like KOTOR some much less so. While I was worried that this wouldn't work as an MMO, just look what happened to SWG even before they were forced to shut it down (shame really since a lot of people actually loved that game), I was preasently surprised by TOR.I have always been a fan of star wars and have made it a point to try (almost) every star wars game that's come out. Some are great, like KOTOR some much less so. While I was worried that this wouldn't work as an MMO, just look what happened to SWG even before they were forced to shut it down (shame really since a lot of people actually loved that game), I was preasently surprised by TOR. Good points:
    Story is a major part of this game and it gets hold of you right from the word go, I actually care about my character a lot more than I usually do while playing and mmo. The feeling I get is very similar to the one I get when I play other bioware games. I feel immersed and invested in my character and his/her fate.

Companions in this game go far beyond pets, both in terms of their usefullness and the entertainment they provide. As long as you keep them properly geared they are quite handy in fights and their personalities make me chuckle.

Crafting in this game is more easy going than in some other mmo's I've played. The hunt for resources which with to craft is not as borring and time consuming here and it doesnt' take an insane amount of time to get your crafting up to a level where it surpasses the gear you get from quest rewards. If you have a group of friends with different crafting skills or if you're an alta-holic like me you can easily provide your character(s) with gear that far surpasses the quest reward items.

Graphics: this is a sensetive point for people I've noticed, it's seems you can either love it or hate it. I'm putting this in the good points section since I myself love it but if any of you feel different then that's fine. Again, personally I love the graphics, the style that bioware has chosen to run with. The sceneries on the different planets are great. You have the wide sweeping sand dunes of Tatooine, the overgrown ruins of Taris, the mountain ranges of Alderaan etc etc all are just beautiful.

Things that are standard:
    Combat is pretty standard I think, noting really revolutionsingly new but not bad either. You shot/slash your way trhough mobs, proving once again that they were fools to get in your way. Fun, but nothing really head turning.

Space combat can be entertaining from time to time in a way but it's just a small mini game. The graphics of it are great though, there is a real sense of depth in the star specled blackness of space. bottom line is that it may not be for everyone but I find it fun to do from time to time.

Mounts; well, nothing new here really, sure you ride a speeder instead of a horse or whatever but it's still only a way to get from A to B faster.

Bad points:
    Character appearance customisation (I'm not talking about character creation, even though that could use a little work too but is still far better than some other games) needs work. Right now there isn't all that much you can do to affect the way your character looks ingame. What you wear is what you get rules, something I've never liked since you too often end up looking stupid (although that doesn't happen that much in this game, at no point have I looked at my character in TOR and thought "oh goodie, a rainbow-power ranger-carebear-paladin, just what I always wanted") I know some people hate the word but I want to see an A-tab or the like in this game, the moddable gear system they have right now, while very cool, isn't enough in this respect.

Grouping is a bit of a pain, I've played City of Heroes so I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to this. There you could use the sidekick/exemplar system which enabled you to team with higher/lower leveled players and do their missions near/at their level (sidekick would bring your level up to one below that of your mentor, exemplar would lower your level to that of the player you were bound to) the system worked great and made teaming viable over great level differences. In TOR you can't be that many levels apart before the quests become pointless.

That's it then

There you have it, my take on this game. All in all I love it, it needs work and it has bugs but show me the mmo that doesn't. Personally I've only experienced a few minor bugs and no one I know, irl or ingame has had any of the major bugs that some people on forums keep claiming make the game unplayable. I'm not calling them liars, I just think its a bit suspect.
  70. Jan 31, 2012
    I'm loving this game! I see some people aren't and that's fine, sorry you didn't like the game. I also see some people just making stuff up and just trying to hate on the game "worst game ever"? Give me a break, if you actually mean that then you probably haven't played much games or any at all even. People like that aare just sad. I give it 10 because I love it but I'm not saying it'sI'm loving this game! I see some people aren't and that's fine, sorry you didn't like the game. I also see some people just making stuff up and just trying to hate on the game "worst game ever"? Give me a break, if you actually mean that then you probably haven't played much games or any at all even. People like that aare just sad. I give it 10 because I love it but I'm not saying it's perfect or that everyone should fall down and love it on their knees. Some people like it some don't that's fine. As long as your reasons are good. I like the game play, I like the community, I like the look of the game and I freaking love the story. People who say it's full of gamebreakin bugs are full of it. Expand
  71. Feb 4, 2012
    This is a huge step foward in the MMO universe. Granted it kind of leaves out the group idea for the main quests but it makes up for it in its long flashpoints. As many ppl have stated; the pvp is unbalenced, that has been fixed now a lvl 10 can kill a lvl 40 as their stats are equal. Some planets are laggy simply because of horrible glitches but Bioware are trying to fix it and keep inThis is a huge step foward in the MMO universe. Granted it kind of leaves out the group idea for the main quests but it makes up for it in its long flashpoints. As many ppl have stated; the pvp is unbalenced, that has been fixed now a lvl 10 can kill a lvl 40 as their stats are equal. Some planets are laggy simply because of horrible glitches but Bioware are trying to fix it and keep in mind ppl an MMO can improve on every lvl if u give it the chance Expand
  72. Feb 6, 2012
    SWTOR puts the RPG back in MMORPG. To start, this MMO has had such a smooth start up compared to others out there who have tried and failed and are now F2P (Free to Play). I will compare it to WoW for a second, because I know everyone is, in saying that the sense of community is not as strong as in WoW. However, unlike WoW, you don't ever really feel like you're "grinding" for levelsSWTOR puts the RPG back in MMORPG. To start, this MMO has had such a smooth start up compared to others out there who have tried and failed and are now F2P (Free to Play). I will compare it to WoW for a second, because I know everyone is, in saying that the sense of community is not as strong as in WoW. However, unlike WoW, you don't ever really feel like you're "grinding" for levels because the story has players so immersed. I think the level of immersion is actually part of the cause for why there isn't such a strong community feeling. This isn't to say that people don't communicate or help each other out, it's more in the "feeling" of community. Everyone is pretty friendly, but you do get the occasional troll. PvP needs to be fixed; the only division between levels for warzones is that level 50s can't queue with those level 49 and below...but a level 10 is still going to have to face level 49s. That's a problem. Companions are an awesome addition which make going out to complete missions a little easier. Deciding which companion to summon can really change the strategy involved when soloing a rare spawn elite you come across. You can "court" your companion, as long as they're a courtable apecies and you're the opposite sex. That adds just a little more to the RPG feel. If you really like immersing stories which are guided by your decisions sort of like Skyrim, but are on the MMO scale, then this game is for you. Plus, if you decide to become dark side, you can really be a pr*ck to everyone you meet. Light and dark sides aren't restricted to faction; you can be a dark side Jedi and a light side Sith if you want. Expand
  73. Feb 7, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've played in a long time. I am thoroughly enjoying the story for all most all the classes. Bioware has really brought story to the mmo experience and I personally won't play another mmo again where I have to read quest dialog off of the screen. I have never felt more connected to my characters like this before. Yeah, it has a few bugs, but they are inThis is one of the best games I've played in a long time. I am thoroughly enjoying the story for all most all the classes. Bioware has really brought story to the mmo experience and I personally won't play another mmo again where I have to read quest dialog off of the screen. I have never felt more connected to my characters like this before. Yeah, it has a few bugs, but they are in no way game breaking and the developers are addressing issues in a timely manner, IMO

And I have engaged in more group content in this game then any other mmo I've played. Now I am doing very similar group content like in most mmos but I'm also experiencing it during the level process, Bravo Bioware, Bravo!
  74. Feb 8, 2012
    Longtime MMO player, and SWTOR is the most fun I've had. Some issues with a lack of content at end game, but a reasonable player will understand this is something that will come with time. Great game.
  75. Feb 8, 2012
    Great story, great content that's ever growing. Sure there are bugs, but always being fixed. Voice actors were top notch. An MMO for the people who don't like people.
  76. Feb 11, 2012
    This game has all the issues of every MMO that has ever been released. There's bugs, balance issues and some features that are missing that people want. The one great thing about MMO's are that the game grows and matures and hopefully turns into something better then when it's first released. Unfortunately in this day and age people want instant gratification and don't have the patience toThis game has all the issues of every MMO that has ever been released. There's bugs, balance issues and some features that are missing that people want. The one great thing about MMO's are that the game grows and matures and hopefully turns into something better then when it's first released. Unfortunately in this day and age people want instant gratification and don't have the patience to allow a developer to make a game better. They expect everything to be the way they want it right this second.

1. The voice over work is as awesome as any Bioware product. 2. The class story lines are amazing (granted I've only seen half of the class story lines but the 4/8 have been great).
    3. I find the combat to be done well. I like it better than WoW.
    4. I love having my personal spaceship as a base of operations.
    5. I like the crafting system quite a bit to include the reverse engineering portion (eventhough that can be very frustrating at times).
    6. I think the appearance of the locations are great. Often I find myself stopping to look at the area and I'm quite taken aback.
    7. I think the companion system adds another layer to game because I find myself getting invested with my companions.

Some bad points are as follows:
    1. The customer service at launch was atrocious. I don't know how it is right now but I hear it's not much better.
    2. Reverse engineering being tied to the RNG can be extremely frustrating. They need to implement some kind of guaranteed % in the background. Currently it's possible to never learn a new recipe because of the RE process being random.
    3. The UI is crapola. You can't move anything around or change the scale. (Supposedly this is changing in the big content update in March)
    4. There's still quite a few skills that are broken within various AC's that have been broken since beta which make certain trees of AC's useless to play.
    5. The pvp on Ilum is still crappy. They have this massive open world for pvp and they shard the zone because of performance issues. There's really no point in going there to be honest. When you get there you get the sense that there should be a massive battle going on of 100+ vs. 100+ but you'll be lucky to find 8 people from the opposite faction.
    6. Faction imbalance is pretty bad as well which makes it another reason no one wants to open world pvp. The Empire outnumbers the Republic on most servers so the Repubs hardly come out to play in open world pvp because they will get steamrolled.

Those are the things that I think are hurting the game the most right now.

The reason I gave the game a 9 was because the game as it stands right now is an awesome game. If Bioware is diligent in addressing the communities concern then this game is going to be a big deal. Most people forget what WoW started out with when it launched. It might have had 25% of what it currently has. It just takes time for MMO's to come into their own.
  77. Feb 13, 2012
    Should only be an eight (making it better than many MMOs), but bumped it to ten to counter-act the horde of tards who go "hur hur hur, I canz make it lower than it should be, and that'll somehow make it true!"
  78. Feb 15, 2012
    Pretty satisfied with this game. Definitely a few "young game" hiccups, but BioWare has been johnny on the spot getting things adjusted. They're also great at implementing user-driven changes, such as the UI cooldown visualization options. There's already been a content update and there's more on the horizon.

The game works well for both new MMORPG players and veterans, with plenty of PvE and PvP content. Players will find their experience enriched if they have Guild membership, but the game offers plenty to those who wish to have fewer ingame associations.
  79. Feb 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Responding to common slams on SW:TOR.

"It's a lobby game/too heavily instanced": The planets go in by every 4-6 level hops. That is also the comfortable spread for grouping. Only seeing 20-150 people per world, depending on time of day, is by design. Those the ones you can group with immediately with no fuss, no worrying about people being too high or too low for anyone.

"Everyone looks the same/I see clones everywhere(right)/everyone wears the same gear in the end": The character customization options are quite robust, many options for skin tone, cybernetics (depending on race) hair, beards, scars, eye color, facial features, complexion, and tattoo's. There is more diversity than in WoW, but there are some (City of Heroes) with more. That said, this ignores the equipment system. Higher tier gear of any level can be given modifications, enhancements, and (for armor types) armoring to turn it into higher level items, all the way to 50. If you like your level 10 recruit gear and want it to be level 50, add new innards (even the rarest kinds) and you can look the way you want to, and still have all the viability you'd like. Add this to the fact that glasses, goggles, etc. are options to compliment facial features, the lack of sliders is not something I miss. And to those who insist they've seen clones of themselves everywhere, I've never seen a clone of my character on the fleet. The fleet is the main stop-off area where there are many people together, well over 100 consistently on my and most servers)

"The graphics are bad", the world design and diversity in artistic direction from world to world is amazing, for image detail there's videos of gameplay so I won't go there. But there are many moments throughout gameplay where simply looking up is enough to make you go wide eyed. "Hey, look up." was something you'd hear among my friends, and "that is so amazing." or something like it was very often the response. Because of the detail in the textures though, you will get 'texture pop' if you have less than 2 gigabytes on your card or 4 gigabytes or less in your ram, because the textures do take spac. When you're moving quickly, you will see textures spring from low res to high as you move, that is true. However, A> 8 gigs of ram also fixes that and B> That problem is very specific, and not common to standard play when you're out fighting for your cause.

"No Endgame/Poor PVP/No Replay Value": I think this is less of a sucker punch, because mileage does vary. First of all, I've seen often is that there's almost nothing. Many (10) of the previous 'flashpoints' (dungeons) have a hard mode, which is a level 50, high challenge version of the previous experience with enhanced challenges and level 50 rewards. Secondly, there are two operations (raids) available now in normal and hard mode if you want a larger scale challenge involving 8-16 people. There are 4 pvp modes including ilum overworld pvp. Each have different goals and methods for winning, and I find them each quite fun.

"Your choices don't matter": I can't actually choose to kill a quest giver because he needs to give other people quests, therefore they don't give you that choice. However, in a flashpoint called "Black Talon" I can choose whether to spare a captain that disobeyed an order to charge a battle cruiser with a small transport, or to let him live. If I kill or imprison him, his first officer takes command and, due to inexperience, she lets a boarding party slip into our engine room and we have scramble to keep them from shutting our engines down. If he stays in command, our engine room remains safe. If we kill him and then terrorize his crew, when we return they will have mutinied, afraid we would kill them all regardless, and we return to a bridge full of corpses. If we inspired more than terrified, we return to a bridge crew congratulating our success. "That doesn't matter" seems a bit selective, because the plot plays out very differently. No, you may not be able to destroy planets other players could use, but the choices you make can, and do, affect what happens.

"Combat is mashing hotkeys/boring": Beyond 'force' (a resource like mana) there is 'heat' (Stronger attacks generate more, you must keep it down, which is harder when you've got more heat) and rage/focus (you must build them to use more powerful attacks), as well as a charge attack/interrupt feature and more. Add to that companion system to add strategy to your encounters, and very compelling combat animations, you have a truly engaging system.

There are other points, but I just wanted to set the record on a few major ones. I strongly recommend you take feedback that breathlessly repeats 'don't leave WoW, it's not a WoW killer!' much like you would take someone screaming 'Simpsons movie sucks!'. Some people legitimately don't like it, but the wave of vitriol? That's unwarranted.
  80. Mar 8, 2012
    SWTOR has gone above and beyond with their game. the people that are detractors are foolish in their attempt to destroy something that far surpasses all other MMOS on the market currently.
  81. Mar 11, 2012
    BioWare has succeeded again at making an amazing RPG. Not only does this game offer diverse and in-depth story-lines to all 8 of there characters, but it allows a smooth and enjoyable co-op system between friends and guild members. The instanced phase is very fun even when with friends and allows decision-making like in all BioWare games, forcing you to make strong and compelling choices.BioWare has succeeded again at making an amazing RPG. Not only does this game offer diverse and in-depth story-lines to all 8 of there characters, but it allows a smooth and enjoyable co-op system between friends and guild members. The instanced phase is very fun even when with friends and allows decision-making like in all BioWare games, forcing you to make strong and compelling choices. By far, the best MMORPG I have ever played. The combat is beautiful and smooth, and the graphics are by far the best in the MMORPG genre, in my opinion. It is not flashy and unnecessary, it is smooth and beautiful. All-in-all, if you are looking into a star wars game, an mmo, and RPG, a futuristic game, a co-op game.. Etc! This game succeeds in all categories! Expand
  82. Apr 17, 2012
    I like MMO's and I've always been a big fan of Bioware games, so the combination of both worlds suits me just fine. I am certainly one of those players who wants to play all the 8 stories in the game and maybe some variations (dark/lightside) on them. I don't care much for endgame raids, but I do care for groupplay, since I always play with my rl partner. By now after 4 months playing, weI like MMO's and I've always been a big fan of Bioware games, so the combination of both worlds suits me just fine. I am certainly one of those players who wants to play all the 8 stories in the game and maybe some variations (dark/lightside) on them. I don't care much for endgame raids, but I do care for groupplay, since I always play with my rl partner. By now after 4 months playing, we still eagerly log in every day to continue our stories. Patch 1.2 also brought quite a lot new features like legacy. I love the familytree, it's maybe fluff to some people, but for a roleplayer this is a really nice addition. I think Bioware is doing a great job with the updates and patches. They solved so many bugs already and in 4 months they also gave us a lot of new features and content. Oh..and I love the surprise event they gave us this week. No one knew about it, but suddenly a rakghoul plague started in Tatooine. I think this is the best way I've seen an event worked out in any MMO I have played until now. Bioware real spends attention to details (not only in this event but overall). Expand
  83. May 1, 2012
    MMOs are constantly evolving. SWTOR is a perfect example of where the F2P model has led the industry. This game is perfect for a casual gamer, however for those gamers who like to rush to the max rank in a few weeks, forgoing story and crafting in a race to max out, this game is not for you. This game benefits from rich story telling and a new innovative system that makes having an AltMMOs are constantly evolving. SWTOR is a perfect example of where the F2P model has led the industry. This game is perfect for a casual gamer, however for those gamers who like to rush to the max rank in a few weeks, forgoing story and crafting in a race to max out, this game is not for you. This game benefits from rich story telling and a new innovative system that makes having an Alt a wonderful thing. As someone who has played every MMO that has released since the original Everquest, I can tell you the learning curve small, the immersion level is great, and unless your only goal is to max as fast as possible, you will enjoy this game. On the plus side, the original development team is still working on this game and the staff has not been reduced, which has produced constant updates with LARGE AMOUNTS of content, unlike some games which would make you pay for DLC or an Expansion. Expand
  84. May 16, 2012
    ABOUT Criminal illegal slander: I have recently looked at multiple User/Customer Reviews from multiple websites and it is obvious there are people that LIE in reviews/ratings in order to influence sales of a game. My recommendation is trust NO User/Customer Ratings/Reviews (good or bad) and use only Reputable Critics that have a long standing in the gaming industry. Yes, they could be paidABOUT Criminal illegal slander: I have recently looked at multiple User/Customer Reviews from multiple websites and it is obvious there are people that LIE in reviews/ratings in order to influence sales of a game. My recommendation is trust NO User/Customer Ratings/Reviews (good or bad) and use only Reputable Critics that have a long standing in the gaming industry. Yes, they could be paid to lie too, but they have better accountability and can be more easily prosecuted if they lie. >SWTOR was made to be different than other MMORPGs by making story-line one of the highlights of the game. Voice acting goes a very long way in making a person feel a story is real, or cheesy. For me, one who likes a good story, the voice acting is top notch in SWTOR compared to other games and made me feel a part of the Star Wars world. >YOU feel more apart of the Star Wars world due to the story, but the story is not etched in stone. The story is based on choices you make in conversations you have with a multitude of characters you encounter. This allows you to become the character you envision and gives a stronger connection to that character's story. >COMPANIONS in SWTOR actually can help you complete quests by fighting by your side to help kill the enemies! They also allow for different story lines to emerge for your character. You form a relationship (which can be friendly or mean, romantic or hated) with your companion too, thus adding more attachment to the world you are in. You can order your companions to do work for you (create items or find materials/items on their own small missions) when you are doing other quests without them. Each character type has their own set of 5 unique companions. >OTHER games in the genre that I have played have given me a lot of fun, but over time they started getting away from an adult atmosphere and consistently increasing content that was goofy, cutesy, off the wall, catering to younger gamers, and specific cultural groups. However, SWTOR does not give me any of that immature and out of place feel. Even though the Star Wars franchise has a multitude of young fans, this game plays on a young adult to adult level story line and the people I usually run across are mature adults. >WHEN you create a character you choose which server you want to play on. The list of servers you choose from tell you a general population of players on that server. There are a lot of servers and the population will read either Light, Standard, or Heavy. CHOOSE a HEAVY server! I highly recommend Heavy (or at least Standard) because even if you like to be a loner, being on a Heavy server will not bother you once you learn how to ignore people through the settings options; and loners may find out that they actually like the multi-player aspect, which then being on a heavy server would be important since you currently cannot transfer characters to other servers. >I HAVE 9 characters, with my highest level character being level 40 (current max. is level 50). I will be playing at least a few more months before all my characters are maxed out on level and then will be able to experience more of the high end content (or lack of that I have read about). The game has already made major additions to the game since I have been playing, recently adding the legacy feature which is for higher level characters. As with all MMORPGs, updates and expansions are happening on a regular basis with new fun content added regularly. So, meanwhile I am enjoying the game and feel the money I have spent has been more than worthwhile. My recommendation is to try all the 8 different classes and enjoy each of their unique story lines to get the most out of the game. >GRAPHICS are not top notch. I love great visual productions in games, t.v., and movies, and SWTOR does not go to extremes to get the most high end visual effects possible in the current video game market. I found this is common in MMORPGs and it may be because of the high amount of people playing the game online. However, the content and story lines of the game totally make up for my love of peak performance graphics. Graphics on SWTOR I would rate about 3.5 stars out of 5 stars. >IF you really want to know all the features the game has, go to the SWTOR website to see all the features the game offers. >IN CONCLUSION, this game was in development for years before its release (Dec/2011) and it shows. The depth in all areas is well thought out and well done. The Star Wars franchise is huge and they have used their many resources to create a game that is very much polished and high quality. This game stands apart from other MMORPGs because of the emphasis on story which allows a gamer to feel a stronger connection to their character, the Star Wars universe, and the game itself. Regardless of negative points and/or reviews, this game IS a High Quality game due to the depth of the game and the emphasis of story that has been well developed. Expand
  85. May 15, 2012
    Best MMO on the market today. Not without it's flaws, like all games, but the leveling experience is great, PvP is a blast, space combat is fun and a nice change of pace and the class stories are exactly what you'd expect from BioWare. I expect to be playing this for many years to come.
  86. May 24, 2012
    Great game don't listen to others. Tons of fun and considering its only been on six months its on a great track. 1.3 looking very promising this would be the best time to join the game!
  87. Jun 18, 2012
    Probably one of the most well-constructed sailing vessels I've ever had the pleasure of riding. The foundation is sturdy, the attendants are nice, and I feel safe in knowing that I'm riding "The unsinkable ship"!

I hope that Bioware can continue to manufacture more fanfictions soon.

88. Jul 11, 2012
    SW: TOR is a very formidable adventure MMORPG, with a lot of polish and a great sense of atmosphere. If you enjoy games like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, or Rift, and you love Star Wars.
  89. Jul 30, 2012
    Awesome Game with many options for a different story line depending on player's choices. If you love Star Wars you'll love this game. May the force be with you!!!!!
  90. Sep 28, 2012
    This game is amazing, as a Star Wars fan i am very pleased, i don t get what people are complaining about, i think people are just so sad they have to bash on things. This game is pretty much like WoW in the Star Wars universe with voiced dialogue and better graphics like most people say. How is this a bad thing??? Wow has been the leading MMO for nearly a decade and its not like a lot ofThis game is amazing, as a Star Wars fan i am very pleased, i don t get what people are complaining about, i think people are just so sad they have to bash on things. This game is pretty much like WoW in the Star Wars universe with voiced dialogue and better graphics like most people say. How is this a bad thing??? Wow has been the leading MMO for nearly a decade and its not like a lot of other mmo out there are innovating much beyond this model. There are some bugs here and there but hey, which mmo hasn't? I deeply enjoy this game and hope it will fair better on the business point because i want it around for a long time. Screw the haters and their miserable lives.... Expand
  91. Nov 26, 2012
    Forget all the people who are saying that they played it for 3 months during which they hated it.

You dont play a game for months unless it's addictive, fun and well thought out.

Just try it yourself, (spend 5 bucks to become 'premium') and enjoy the ride.
  92. Dec 13, 2012
    Star Wars the Old Republic, is the first MMORPG in a long time to hold my attention for more than a few months. The game's story is engrossing and fun. Yes, it takes many of its mechanics from World of Warcraft, but it's a worth game in its own right. The game gets a bad rap for not meeting every player's dreams for the game, but it is only a game. It can't fulfill every person'sStar Wars the Old Republic, is the first MMORPG in a long time to hold my attention for more than a few months. The game's story is engrossing and fun. Yes, it takes many of its mechanics from World of Warcraft, but it's a worth game in its own right. The game gets a bad rap for not meeting every player's dreams for the game, but it is only a game. It can't fulfill every person's needs. It's a good game and I recommend anyone try it, especially now that it is Free to play. Expand
  93. Jan 11, 2013
    Although the game did start off slow and many people left, after the key issues were addressed, this is probably the best MMO that I have played. So many different things to do and so much customization. This is truly a great game.
  94. Jan 31, 2013
    I had my good experienced in this game. I usually dont MMO but firstly when i saw SWTOR promo in year 2010, it was like 'Awesome' i will play this game... and i dont have any regrets because its an amazing game.
  95. Feb 9, 2013
    Beh Star Wars The Old Republic veramente un bel gioco. Ma può anche essere bruttissimo, se lo si gioca in stile WoW o normale MMO... bisogna ascoltare, bisogna saper seguire la storia, straordinaria anche nelle quest secondarie. Bisogna intuire tutto l'immenso lavoro che BioWare ha fatto. Non un gioco perfetto anzi, ha tante pecche... ma siamo già alla versione 1.7, esiste conBeh Star Wars The Old Republic veramente un bel gioco. Ma può anche essere bruttissimo, se lo si gioca in stile WoW o normale MMO... bisogna ascoltare, bisogna saper seguire la storia, straordinaria anche nelle quest secondarie. Bisogna intuire tutto l'immenso lavoro che BioWare ha fatto. Non un gioco perfetto anzi, ha tante pecche... ma siamo già alla versione 1.7, esiste con possibilità Free to play e per di più esce già un'espansione (Rise of The Hutt cartell) questa primavera. Non ci vuole uno psicologo sociale per capire che chi dà giudizi negativi lo fa perchè attaccato ad altri giochi, ed ha paura che la fama di swtor possa in qualche modo intaccarli (impossibile, cmq, perchè swtor ha un pubblico molto più limitato del mondo fantasy, ed un bene così): 865 voti negativi (i fan di altri giochi) 1000 e passa i positivi (i fan di swtor) e solo 230 quelli medi (che lo hanno provato, e onestamente dicono la loro opinione). Da provare. Poi può non piacere, ma assolutamente un bel gioco, fatto da persone capaci a cui bisogna rendere onore! Expand
  96. Apr 15, 2013
    I think Star Wars: The Old Republic is a great game. I am big fan of Star Wars universe so I started playing this game as soon as I could, despite all hate that I read on forums. One year passed and I am still subscriber. I can say that this is my type of MMO. TOR has great story, nice community and SW atmosphere. Everything I wanted from a single game.
  97. Apr 23, 2013
    VERY good game. even if you don't like Star Wars, you should still try this game. Many fun things to do, great storyline, large and vast maps, and immersive gameplay and role playing scenes. I highly recomend this game to all!
  98. May 8, 2013
    As a BioWare fan I just had to try this game. I played a bit with subscription and I liked it a lot. I gave it a 10 because I it does not deserve such a low user score. Its more like a 8.5 game.
    Many people dont like that its a WoW clone with a singleplayer compo ent but that is exactly what attracted me to it.
    Most MMO lack purpose and after you leveled your character to the level cap
    Most MMO lack purpose and after you leveled your character to the level cap your only option is to go PvP-ing which i hate and will never understand.
    After you create a character you are thrown at the start of your character next adventure. I say next because most classes seem expirianced when you start and you don't feel like a kid thrown in the world with a wooden stick. You can see that your character did something before the events of the story and this is only another adventure on the way. That is specially noticable with trooper, smuggle and agent classes.
    There is also legacy which lets you connect your characters in a family tree as relatives, allies, spouses or rivals. You can unlock various perks for all of your characters that way.

It recently went free to play and I can say that I was a little bit disappointed with the amoint of restrictions but that disappointment was gone when I discovered that on The Cartel Market you can buy whatever you liked without spending money on something you dont want or consider unimportant. The prices are affordable too. For 20 dollars I bought 3 packs that unlock various things including speeder training, rocket boots for my entire legacy, various armor sets or pieces etc.

I really think this deserved better user score since most of the reviewers give 0 score because they disliked only one thing in the game.
  99. Aug 11, 2013
    Star Wars: The Old Republic™ is an extraordinary good game and a revolutionary new addition to the mmo genre, uhm Doritos™. It's combat is an incredible Dew that really shines in the Mountain Dew™ environment. I really love money. So yea buy this game if you love Mountain Dew™ and Doritos™
  100. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the best MMO I have played. I love the story part of the game. I do not play PvP. I play with a small group of friends and enjoy this game a lot.

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.