Star Wars: The Old Republic PC

5.9

1. Dec 20, 2011
    I'm not sure where are the vitriol is coming from?! I can't say this game is mold-breaking or anything, but anyone who has followed it would have had an idea what to expect. Do you like KOTOR? Do you like Bioware RPG's? Star Wars? You'll enjoy this game. Much of it is presented in standard MMO style, but the voiced over quests do add to my enjoyment and help me to put a little connectionI'm not sure where are the vitriol is coming from?! I can't say this game is mold-breaking or anything, but anyone who has followed it would have had an idea what to expect. Do you like KOTOR? Do you like Bioware RPG's? Star Wars? You'll enjoy this game. Much of it is presented in standard MMO style, but the voiced over quests do add to my enjoyment and help me to put a little connection to my character. That's what many gamer's attempt to do in any game, especially MMO's. I'm a Star Wars fan and I feel they have paid me service. The official launch is today, FFS. I'm sorry your auctions haven't all sold and you're not the Baron of Balmorra just yet, but going around screaming "LOL WOW CLONE SABERS" doesn't do anything to help anyone considering picking this up. -- OK, you're used to the style of combat if you have played an MMO (or any PC RPG) However there is a ton of unique content for each class, even if many common quests are shared. That is the same format many are used to, however it seems to be a huge deal here. Do yourself a favor and, as I said, if you enjoy Bioware/Star Wars/RPG's give it a shot. It can feel like KOTOR 3-9 with social elements and pvp, and that's a good deal for me. Expand
  2. Dec 22, 2011
    So far, I really enjoy this game. Yes, it has aspects of WoW, as well as other MMO game. No, it isn't perfect. However, it is fun, and allows me to play my own way, whether evil or good, which hasn't really been done in an MMO to any reasonable degree. Space combat is enjoyable thus far, although pure flight-sim, skill-based players will be disappointed by the sense of the spaceSo far, I really enjoy this game. Yes, it has aspects of WoW, as well as other MMO game. No, it isn't perfect. However, it is fun, and allows me to play my own way, whether evil or good, which hasn't really been done in an MMO to any reasonable degree. Space combat is enjoyable thus far, although pure flight-sim, skill-based players will be disappointed by the sense of the space combat being on rails. However, for the rest of us, it makes space combat approachable and not excessively frustrating. What strikes me about SW: TOR is that the game would be enjoyable even if I were playing single player. It doesn't use the crutch of "the only reason this is fun is because I'm playing with my friends" although to progress through certain parts, you really should group up with others. I personally like the "public areas" and "private" areas, which allows me to have my own story without 20 other people interfering. What is interesting is that I actually care about the story, which has not been the case in any of the other MMOs that I have played. I actually want to know what happens next, not the "push next until quest is in log" I have not reached the end game yet, so I can't comment on that yet. Perfect? No. Fun? Yes. Well worth the money and time spent so far. Expand
  3. Dec 25, 2011
    As a jaded 5 year WoW player this is a refreshing alternative, especially considering what's in wait for if you stick with the former (Pokemon ... sheeesh !). It has what WoW lacks, in depth storyline. I predict that for the next WoW expansion after MoP it will have that, in depth storyline, companions..... and spaceships.
  4. Feb 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is, by far, one of the best experiences I have had with gaming in general. NOTICE I DID NOT SAY MMORPG GAMING. I said GAMING. This game is a WONDERFUL game, and the MMO part of it is a lot of fun, adding to a great balance of solo gameplay, crafting, and the occasional Starfox-esque space mission. I have seen many reviews on here that are slanted one way, and slanted another, so I will basically state what this game IS and what it IS NOT.
    What this game IS: First and foremost, this game IS A BIOWARE RPG with a MMO setting, so if you are familiar with and love Bioware's RPGs, you "should" love this game. This game is a great MMO that puts the RP back into MMORPG (when it comes to gameplay, I will address player with player RP later). It has a great depth of story, many customization options, and the typical "choice wheel" that Bioware introduced into its games. This allows you to play your character and make choices based off of what your desire is for the character. Want to be a bloodthirsty, murdering...Jedi? You can! Want to be a Bounty Hunter with a heart of gold? You can! The stories themselves can have far reaching repercussions. There was at least one circumstance where I killed a story NPC on one character, but left him alive with another, and to my joy, the character came back into my story and I was able to interact with them. Not so on the other one. This game IS also a great balance between game time, combat time, and crafting time...mostly because farming is pretty much OFF the table, unless you so choose to do it. The crafting system for missions is great, and lets you send off your companions whilst you continue with your stories. This game IS a great single and multiplayer experience, so long as you don't mind a multiplayer experience that is primarily "Heroic" mission, dungeon, operation (raid), and PvP based. This game IS great at immersion in that the environments not only feel Star Wars, but also feel plausible. From the planetary metropolis of Coruscant, to the frozen wastes of Hoth, you feel like it's a Star Wars environment. The game IS great at scaling zones-instead of a uniform size of planets (a la SWG), your starter planets are more a "portion" of the planet, and as you level and gain access to better transportation methods, the planets become bigger and bigger. (Hoth, for instance, is MASSIVE) This game IS well thought out for balancing zone creation, with a feeling of size, scale, and immersion. This game IS a GREAT first installment to a MMO franchise, almost worthy of saying "WoW Vanilla" level. Myself, I have spent a good two months+ in early access and full game and I have yet to cap level on any character because I have been enjoying SO MUCH. Each story is different for each of the main classes, and while the average side missions are sometimes generic, you do have a fair amount of stories that you can do again and again, take a different option and see what happens. This makes for a high level of re-playability, especially if you are a fan of Bioware stories.
    Now for the IS NOT: Most of all, this game IS NOT finished. Meaning, like WoW, it is NOT a completely finished, established, and grown MMORPG. Like WoW, it takes TIME for good, core players on each server to coalesce and create a community. This game IS NOT the best PvP experience in the world...but then neither is WoW, Rift, or any other game.WoW took OVER A YEAR to implement the first battlegrounds in WSG, AB, and AV. This game IS NOT the best for max level content. WoW took a YEAR for there to be appreciable content at level 60, and this game has what could be considered the equivalent of the lower level dungeon raids such as LBRS and UBRS (WoW Vanilla 15 man version, but with 8 people), as well as a couple of upper level operations (A la MC 40, but with 12 people). It took WoW over TWO years, multiple patches, and time for them to develop endgame. This game IS NOT your standard MMORPG with your text quests that you don't have to pay attention to. Spacebar through the dialogue and you risk missing important information, or pissing off your companion. Finally, this game IS NOT uber friendly to player RP, as you can't even sit on a chair.
    There is much more I could add, but it would take more time, so I will summarize with this: This game EASILY has over 100 hours of playtime in it and that, in and of itself, justifies the $60 cost imho. It is a MMO game with great RPG value. If you want to get in on the beginning level of a game that will feel somewhat familiar to WoW Vanilla people (i.e. lots of potential, great stuff, and can't wait for the next content patch) then this game IS for you! If you want a completely finished, established game with loads of endgame content, this game IS NOT for you...Period.
  5. Dec 28, 2011
    Awesomeness and then some. Star wars rock my face off. Didn't get into wow but this game hooked me. I'm a freaking Jedi knight for Christ's sake. Blame.
  6. Dec 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm going to be fair about this game with some things I really enjoyed, and describe some areas in which that could use improvement. First this is a solid and fun game. I've played WoW off and on for the last few years, and the aspects of the MMO I enjoyed such as instances, exploration, and teaming up with other players to complete tasks are here. Personally I enjoyed the art direction of the game as the environments are well done and feel lively. I like how you'll see groups of NPCs talking to each other in the Senate Tower, and it makes it feel more lively than WoW's NPCs just standing there by themselves shrugging their shoulders. But what has kept me interested in the game is the story for your character. The downside is that it takes away that mentality of creating your own story and life, but when it comes to most MMOs, you really just end up feeling like a regular soldier doing simple quests. While those quests are back, but since your class has it's own storyline makes it more interesting and addicting to see where your character ends up in the TOR story. The story adaptation to TOR makes the game feel fresh, and keeps me engage as I feel my character has an impact on my surroundings unlike most other MMOs. The other positives of the game are: the voices are well done, the sound effects are really good, the combat feels mostly smooth, but there are times it may get clunky when you are a tight corridor or lag, and the music is amazing. I'm not just talking about the John Williams music, but their own music is really good. The downsides to the game. So far PVP is limited. I enjoy the 3 maps they provided, but for an MMO there needs to be a little more than that. Especially since there is supposed to be a war going on, and since only one map is a true warzone (Alderann), it is lacking in that area. Hopefully they'll add more PVP options as the game moves along. Second thing that could use improvement is character and outfit textures. I know the engine isn't the most powerful, but I would like to see more detail with the characters armor and faces. If anything, I prefer to see the armor in more detail instead of being a bit blurry. Finally the only other thing that needs improvement is area stability. The bugs in the MMO hasn't been a big deal, but there are times the game lags when there are more than a few players in the area, and there have been some memory leaks on certain planets along with some quests being bugged. Fortunately they haven't been too prevalent, but they need to be patch as soon as possible. In conclusion, this is a fun MMO with possibilities of expanding the game further over time. One word of caution, watch out for the negative and positive reviews on here. First most negative reviews from the 20th are from users on **** Their comments are obvious as they'll say "graphics from (insert year)", it's a single player game, WoW clone, $300 million on advertising and voice acting, and etc... A lot of their comments are narrow-minded, and it shows they haven't played the game, or barely touched it during the beta weekends. Those people hate this game mostly because it's Bioware, and the fact it isn't KOTOR 3. These negative reviews are easy to spot as just about every one of them uses the same rhetoric, and they posted their review on the the first day of release. Seriously, do you think they have had time to make a fair judgement on the game within hours of release, no. That said, watch out for the perfect score reviews as they claim it's the best ever. It's not the best game ever. It's a good game, but there are rooms for improvement, and it does copy parts of the WoW formula. Expand
  7. Feb 6, 2012
    SWTOR is overall a great game. Of course, if you are expecting it to be jam packed with features upon release (say coming from WoW) you will be disappointed. It is a story driven, well crafted MMO that allows players to interact completely in the Star Wars Universe. The graphics are equally stunning as well. I think where the game falls a tad short is in meeting the expectations of seasonsSWTOR is overall a great game. Of course, if you are expecting it to be jam packed with features upon release (say coming from WoW) you will be disappointed. It is a story driven, well crafted MMO that allows players to interact completely in the Star Wars Universe. The graphics are equally stunning as well. I think where the game falls a tad short is in meeting the expectations of seasons MMO players who are looking for features such as a modifiable UI, server transfer, guild halls, etc right out of the box. So it will feel like it is missing something from that perspective. Yet, people forget that it took years and years to develop those features even in WoW because they are expensive to create. So first comes the subscriptions, then comes the added features. That's just the way it works and to expect otherwise is not realistic. Expand
  8. May 8, 2013
    As a BioWare fan I just had to try this game. I played a bit with subscription and I liked it a lot. I gave it a 10 because I it does not deserve such a low user score. Its more like a 8.5 game.
    Many people dont like that its a WoW clone with a singleplayer compo ent but that is exactly what attracted me to it.
    Most MMO lack purpose and after you leveled your character to the level cap
    Most MMO lack purpose and after you leveled your character to the level cap your only option is to go PvP-ing which i hate and will never understand.
    After you create a character you are thrown at the start of your character next adventure. I say next because most classes seem expirianced when you start and you don't feel like a kid thrown in the world with a wooden stick. You can see that your character did something before the events of the story and this is only another adventure on the way. That is specially noticable with trooper, smuggle and agent classes.
    There is also legacy which lets you connect your characters in a family tree as relatives, allies, spouses or rivals. You can unlock various perks for all of your characters that way.

It recently went free to play and I can say that I was a little bit disappointed with the amoint of restrictions but that disappointment was gone when I discovered that on The Cartel Market you can buy whatever you liked without spending money on something you dont want or consider unimportant. The prices are affordable too. For 20 dollars I bought 3 packs that unlock various things including speeder training, rocket boots for my entire legacy, various armor sets or pieces etc.

I really think this deserved better user score since most of the reviewers give 0 score because they disliked only one thing in the game.
  9. May 13, 2014
    I am only reviewing this from the subscription experience, I do not recommend this MMO as a free to play game but it's an excellent subscription MMORPG. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 months and I love it and I'm still playing it on a regular basis, there is so much depth to Star Wars: The Old Republic, what completely sold me on this game is the quests and story and I'm a really bigI am only reviewing this from the subscription experience, I do not recommend this MMO as a free to play game but it's an excellent subscription MMORPG. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 months and I love it and I'm still playing it on a regular basis, there is so much depth to Star Wars: The Old Republic, what completely sold me on this game is the quests and story and I'm a really big Star Wars fan, so your choices affect whats going to happen next you can be good or bad but each choice may very likely come with consequences and affect the players story. The music is wonderful and stays true to Star Wars, the graphics are a little bit cartoonish but Bioware has said so it doesn't look dated in 4 years and I'd say it's aged really well so far. The choices for PVP has grown lately Bioware is constantly updating SWTOR with more PVP, story, and expansions.

I've been playing MMORPGs for 14 years and I've never playing anything like SWTOR that really got me into the game and addicted and not often enough can a game do that, SWTOR is simply fun I actually have fun and a good time while playing this, it doesn't feel grindy and I always can't wait to get to the next quest, I mostly like SWTOR because of the role playing. So don't judge this game by the free to play experience if your willing to shell out some cash for the subscription it's worth it, subscribers get more experience and that alone is worth it.

I highly recommend Star Wars: The Old Republic.
  10. Dec 22, 2011
    I love the storylines, I love the setting, and I'm a huge fan of the way the game immerses you. If anything, it just seems like it took some of the best stuff the KOTOR games had to offer, and added some MMO functionality onto it. If anything, the MMO parts are its weak points. Thankfully, the option of playing it as a single-player game, with only the multiplayer you want to deal with,I love the storylines, I love the setting, and I'm a huge fan of the way the game immerses you. If anything, it just seems like it took some of the best stuff the KOTOR games had to offer, and added some MMO functionality onto it. If anything, the MMO parts are its weak points. Thankfully, the option of playing it as a single-player game, with only the multiplayer you want to deal with, makes it worth playing. Expand
  11. Dec 23, 2011
    I really don't understand what all the negative user reviews are fro this game. it really makes think of any of these WOW fan-boys actually payed the buggy awful flowing yet oh so glorious Vanilla wow at release.

I for one did, and remember the sometimes painful and hair pulling experience that i had getting my first Orc rogue to 60. SWTOR is bringing back those old feelings for me, the game requires A bit more skill and finesse than WOW does currently. In fact one of the Biggest reasons i quit wow was because the game had become to easy, too predictable and was nearing the end of its life cycle. Dont think of SWTOR as a wow killer, think of it as breathing new life in the Genre, it is the first game that can truly challenge WOW in the mmo scene, and we all know that competition if anything will just make the two games better. I am giving the game a 9 for the level of polish that this game has at release, the amount of features it incorporates, the level of detail the developers put into the game among a number of other things. So far I am having a great experience, and at the end of the day that is all you should really want from an MMO.
  12. Dec 23, 2011
    This is my second MMO and all i can say is WOW. Bioware has taken the MO Genre and pushed it to a new level. Although combat is not different (i mean you cant make it any different) the story element is so compelling i cant sleep every night i must know what happen next. The mechanics are incredibly smooth and the interface is nice however it should be customizable but who knows they mightThis is my second MMO and all i can say is WOW. Bioware has taken the MO Genre and pushed it to a new level. Although combat is not different (i mean you cant make it any different) the story element is so compelling i cant sleep every night i must know what happen next. The mechanics are incredibly smooth and the interface is nice however it should be customizable but who knows they might fix it. Too all those people who hate the game well all i can say is you keep assaulting the fact that it is a WoW copy. Well of course it has to be due to the MMO franchise. I love star wars and this feels like another star wars movie. i could play this game for months!! There are some slight issues with certain bugs and mechanics but i give it the benefit of the doubt due to the fact no game is ever perfect at launch (cough cough... Skyrim) however in saying that it is soooo close to perfect. If your a person looking for an exciting MMO either veterans or new MMO players will not be disappointed. If the MMO genre is dying this is a great way to see it out May the Force Be with You Expand
  13. Dec 24, 2011
    It's not a WoW Clone. The only things that are similar is the talent and skill system. But really that's been an MMO standard since before WoW anyway. Anyway it's a fun game. Combat feels more organic, you actually care about your character and companions, and it's not a grind fest. On top of that the star fox like space combat missions are a nice diversion. Where it fails is it's lack ofIt's not a WoW Clone. The only things that are similar is the talent and skill system. But really that's been an MMO standard since before WoW anyway. Anyway it's a fun game. Combat feels more organic, you actually care about your character and companions, and it's not a grind fest. On top of that the star fox like space combat missions are a nice diversion. Where it fails is it's lack of explanation and execution of some of the finer game mechanics. Crafting is somewhat confusing and not particularly deep. Expand
  14. Dec 24, 2011
    Ignore the negative reviews, as they are almost exclusively written by fanboys of competing MMORPG games. Many of whom have not even actually played the game to any extent. It is also sadly ironic that many of their "reviews" feature comparisons to their MMORPG of choice, and an admission than SWTOR is a newer and superior MMORPG of the same genre, only to then dismiss it as a copy. I canIgnore the negative reviews, as they are almost exclusively written by fanboys of competing MMORPG games. Many of whom have not even actually played the game to any extent. It is also sadly ironic that many of their "reviews" feature comparisons to their MMORPG of choice, and an admission than SWTOR is a newer and superior MMORPG of the same genre, only to then dismiss it as a copy. I can see how someone who doesn't like MMOs or RPGs giving this game a mixed review, but a negative one? Hogwash!

The Old Republic is the MMORPG that puts the Role Playing Game back in the Massively Multiplayer Online. It's graphics are the best of any on the market today - as MMORPGs have unique challenges, having to tackle huge worlds with limited computing power. Something The Old Republic does beautifully, with it's stylized art direction. Sound Effects and Music are as we have come to expect from BioWare, top of the line.

As of launch, the gameplay itself, and the interface, is still a tad sluggish at times, and the game also lacks a much needed LFG (looking for group) function - which means you have to find groups manually by flagging yourself or going to the mission hangar. This is really the only drawback I have found to the game so far, as someone who has played MMORPGs since Sierra's The Realm, back in the mid 90s, and a 6 year veteran of WoW, and many others.

There are 10 million WoW players, 3 million Aion players, and more than a million RIFT players, who do not want you to play this game - and it is reflected in the user score versus the critic score. Accusations that critic scores are bought and paid for are merely a reflection on these users' opinions that theirs is the only one that matters.

Don't buy into it. Try The Old Republic for yourself. Chances are you won't be disappointed.
  15. Jan 12, 2012
    Overall I give this an 8 because it is lacking in some areas, however, the stories for each individual class are what makes this game. I actually have incentive to play EVERY class. Unlike in WoW or Rift or whatever, you are experiencing the same thing but from a slightly different angle. Not just in a I am now a Hunter instead of a Paladin. It feels fresh and new each time you play it.Overall I give this an 8 because it is lacking in some areas, however, the stories for each individual class are what makes this game. I actually have incentive to play EVERY class. Unlike in WoW or Rift or whatever, you are experiencing the same thing but from a slightly different angle. Not just in a I am now a Hunter instead of a Paladin. It feels fresh and new each time you play it. Even if you were to play the same class again you could play completely differently all over again because of the Light/Dark sides. Which leads me to the best part. Once you get about an hour into it you realize hey I am playing a multiplayer KOTOR and you're like heck yeah! Another positive is that when you swing your lightsaber you feel like your actually dueling the person you are attacking instead of just beating him to death. Space battles are an updated 3D version of Galaxian, which is simple, but that is good. It is not over complicated, however, you can buy upgrades for you ship as you yourself level up, the best stuff being at level 50 and as you get better stuff more missions are unlocked and they get harder. It is a very nice Meta-game.

Now on ward to the "bad" stuff, I say "bad" because its not so BAD as its stuff that will be fixed (I hope as long as it doesn't die in a fire) The graphics are a bit lack luster, somethings appear unfinished, but the art style really shines through, every world is different (for the most part) half the Galaxy being controlled by each side leads to some things looking the same but that is mostly just the cities. I feel like they can do more with PvP. I believe limiting it to your average level range would do wonder but that is my opinion some people really like that PvP is a "balanced" 10-50, you essentially just get a damage, armor, and hp bonus to make you a defacto "50" but you don't have the all the skills yet which leaves you at a disadvantage. Overall, the "bad" will be worked out over a few patches.
  16. Dec 20, 2011
    Game is great fun with an excellent combination of solo content and group content, a near perfect balance. Planets and ground game in general is well polished and the unique story content make playing multiple toons a must. A few things to fix/improve: UI customization, high rez textures, space combat.
  17. Dec 22, 2011
    First off & most important of all is to not listen to the blatant trolling/game bashing by the upset Wow community players out there! I was lucky enough to be involved in the beta last year and have already been involved with game since the early access began on the 13th & I can confidently say without any hesitation that this game is fantastic! Yes of course that are a few minor issuesFirst off & most important of all is to not listen to the blatant trolling/game bashing by the upset Wow community players out there! I was lucky enough to be involved in the beta last year and have already been involved with game since the early access began on the 13th & I can confidently say without any hesitation that this game is fantastic! Yes of course that are a few minor issues here & there but that's to be expected at launch - these will of course be addressed in good time, no doubt along with adjustments following player feedback. But if your looking for a MMO with a deep, rich narrative, some fantastic voice acting & interesting quests then look no further. This game simply oozes class & is everything I had hoped for from a Star Wars game. Leave the Wow players to troll all they like, this game will shine brightly despite some of the **** being written here. Pick it up, you wont be disappointed :) Expand
  18. Dec 20, 2011
    Fans of Bioware RPGs should play this for sure. Those that are used to grinding or just ignoring content on the way to max level should pass this one by as this is NOT the game for you. The only thing stopping me from rating this a ten is the silly space combat, should have been free flight not a tunnel shooter.
  19. Dec 22, 2011
    This is a great game. It feel like the old KOTOR xbox games with some MMO elements thrown in. I've played Rift and WoW. a lot off people are bashing this game needlessly because they've built this huge character and "l33t" skills in WoW and are mad about their guildmates quitting to go play this game instead. Forget the haters. If you liked the old KOTOR single player games, you willThis is a great game. It feel like the old KOTOR xbox games with some MMO elements thrown in. I've played Rift and WoW. a lot off people are bashing this game needlessly because they've built this huge character and "l33t" skills in WoW and are mad about their guildmates quitting to go play this game instead. Forget the haters. If you liked the old KOTOR single player games, you will likely like this game. On a good system, the games LOOKS GREAT. Playing WoW after playing this is like taking a step back in time. Of course, that's assuming you have a decent pc. Expand
  20. Dec 25, 2011
    I honestly don't know where all the negativity is coming from. is the game perfect right out of the gate? No, but how often does that happen? I've played MMOs from several designers over the course of the last 10 years, and while TOR doesn't completely rewrite the genre, it surely sets itself above every other game out there. The story lines alone are worth the price of the game.some ofI honestly don't know where all the negativity is coming from. is the game perfect right out of the gate? No, but how often does that happen? I've played MMOs from several designers over the course of the last 10 years, and while TOR doesn't completely rewrite the genre, it surely sets itself above every other game out there. The story lines alone are worth the price of the game.some of the folks complaining about no end game content couldn't have possibly made it to end game when they started slinging mud. The game has incredibly few bugs, the servers are incredibly stable, the group quests are well done(the fact that your decisions, even within a group, [a roll is taken to determine whose response is used], affect the course of the story is unique), the instanced Flashpoints are incredible, even the crew skills(crafting) system is very interesting and refreshingly new. I've not participated in the PvP, and even thought the space combat isn't totally 3D, it is very fun and entertaining. In my view, SW:TOR is a game that will draw me in every day, and hold my attention for months, if not years, to come. Expand
  21. Dec 22, 2011
    Cool features i love that wow doesnt have
    1.you can gear your companion's (there is more then a few) and they do almost as much dps as you do,they can tank heal or dps.
    2.the crafting is awesome you can level your modable gear with you,your companion's do all your farming for you leaving you free to quest or do what you want. 3.Your own space ship!! it acts as storage your crew is in it
    Cool features i love that wow doesnt have
    3.Your own space ship!! it acts as storage your crew is in it you can go on space missions with it and its like player houseing 4.voice overs 100% if you like masseffect there is no reason not to like this game the story is amazing i dont think a lot of people relize the scope of the story it moves a little slower then a single person game cause its sooo long till level 50 you can finish masseffect 2 in 12 hours you just cant do that here there is way more story.
    5. you can tank with a gun heal with a gun ..
    6. you can choose your story do you want to kill this guy and be evil or let him go and be good,save some pirates who stole your vaccene or see them all suffer and die its up to you.
    I played wow for 6 years it doesnt feel like a wow clone to me maybe thats cause i played mmos before wow..like asherons call.
  22. Jan 22, 2012
    Every MMO borrows from it's predecessors, including WOW. What needs to be looked at is what makes it different. The fact the SWTOR has a specific storyline for each class, and that the game is completely fully voiced with dialog options makes SWTOR a good cross between the traditional MMO and other bioware games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Bioware has raised the MMO standard forEvery MMO borrows from it's predecessors, including WOW. What needs to be looked at is what makes it different. The fact the SWTOR has a specific storyline for each class, and that the game is completely fully voiced with dialog options makes SWTOR a good cross between the traditional MMO and other bioware games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Bioware has raised the MMO standard for excellence and has made the foundation for a game that after a few years will contain the same content and potentially exceed the quality of WOW. Expand
  23. Dec 20, 2011
    A quality game, good voice over, story and combat. Fun group content, the crafting is very enjoyable and the story keeps questing from feeling like to much of a drag/grind. Does the game have problems? yes but overall a very smooth and entertaining game with a good art style. I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
  24. Jan 8, 2012
    The game doesn't revolutionnize anything.. But it does a great job at doing everything right. Keep hearing people saying this is not an MMO.. Those people haven't bothered trying to play the game with others, it's a blast !

A great game all around !
  25. Dec 29, 2011
    Awesome game! Whilst some aspects may be familar to MMO veterans (which isn't that suprising...it hasn't invented its own genre) the fact that each class has its own well written, immersive, and fully voiced story is where this game's innovation lies. I'm becoming slowly more and more addicted to this game, and have more or less stopped playing anything else despite the awesome games thatAwesome game! Whilst some aspects may be familar to MMO veterans (which isn't that suprising...it hasn't invented its own genre) the fact that each class has its own well written, immersive, and fully voiced story is where this game's innovation lies. I'm becoming slowly more and more addicted to this game, and have more or less stopped playing anything else despite the awesome games that are out right now!

If you liked KOTOR or Dragon age you will probably also like this. It's basically a modernised KOTOR that you share with friends and other people on the internet.
  26. Dec 30, 2011
    A worthy successor to KOTOR I & II with the addition of true online functionality! The story options are immensely diverse and show the breadth of the Star Wars universe.
  27. Jan 6, 2012
    I really do love this game. There's so much to do and all the worlds seemed unique. If you like Star Wars mythology you can find all kind of great things to read. Story is amazing (playing as Bounty Hunter) and voice acting is also really cool. Combat system is fun also.
  28. Dec 28, 2011
    Great job of incorporating Story elements into an MMO. All the features my not be there yet but they're coming. If you're on the fence, give it 6 months before checking it out.
  29. Dec 29, 2011
    Superb! The last real MMO I played a character to level 50 (three times) was Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC). I have to grin when I see so many "SWTOR is a WoW clone" comments, when in fact WoW was cloned from DAOC and Everquest, but I expect most of the WoW players were still in nappies when EQ and DAOC ruled the MMO roost.

But I digress. SWTOR is solid, fun, bug-free for the most part, has

But I digress. SWTOR is solid, fun, bug-free for the most part, has an epic audio environment and solid, fun combat. A great 3D engine that does not stress most PCs, and the promise from Bioware of more content and expansions ... I think this one is a keeper for me.

I am a casual MMO player. By that I usually spend less than an hour at a time playing. So in that respect, SWTOR is perfect since it does not force me into gameplay mechanics which are antisocial to my real life.

I think this game has a solid future, and I'm enjoying it immensely. 10/10
  30. Dec 30, 2011
    Gameplay:

I see a lot of reviews comparing this game to WoW. That is because it is: A. An MMORPG B. An MMORPG which features attacking enemies, finding items, and completing quests. For all the WoW fans who are distraught to see other people enjoying a game similar to their own, consider this: Star Wars: The Old Republic from Bioware closely resembles not only World of Warcraft, but
    Gameplay:

I see a lot of reviews comparing this game to WoW. That is because it is:

A. An MMORPG

Star Wars: The Old Republic from Bioware closely resembles not only World of Warcraft, but Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic...from Bioware.

When was KoToR released? 2003. It had a much more simplified version of the skills queue and combat exchange, but it was more or less similar. WoW was released in 2004. Are we to call it a KoToR clone? The skill tree always reminded me of the skill trees in Diablo II. Using the logic of some people we could call World of Warcraft a Diablo II clone. The fact is, that isn't true. Neither is the idea that ToR is a WoW clone. Now enough of the vs. crap. I think that most people who buy this game should expect an MMO and everything which comes with a major multiplayer RPG online. Some of the quests are mundane grinds. Some of the gameplay outside of the character story gets tired and old. Some of the combat and running all over the place gets tedious after a while. If you can't handle those things however you shouldn't criticize the game, you should simply try to get a refund and never attempt to play an MMO ever again.

Graphics/Technical:

The graphics snobs who write reviews always amuse me. I suppose if a game is released and it isn't automatically the industry standard for graphics and artistic styling, it is a massive failure of some sort. This game looks just fine to me. Is it over the top amazingly great looking? No. Does it look like a pathetic pile of crap? Hardly.

I've never played a game which rendered distances so well, or one which transitioned so well between zones. Sure there are a few launch hiccups here and there- sometimes I get lighting glitches where the screen has green rays on it for a second, then they go away. Oh no.

I wonder if the WoW fanboys recall the initial launch of that game the way I do. It was mired with its share of problems just like any massive game like this. I'm actually surprised that this game was released so relatively polished, considering how the recent (and when I say recent I mean the past 8 years) trend of game developers is to release a totally unfinished barely playable product and then slowly patch it over the course of a few months.

I'd also like to point out that while some are disappointed with the graphics as they are:

A. There have been games which have been released in the past which were so taxing and so optimized for the latest VGA technology, a huge chunk of the buyers couldn't play the game without major overhauls to their computer systems. ToR is a taxing enough game for an average system, but for the sake of earning the respect of graphics snobs, I suppose they should have made it more "pretty" so that .001 percent of the population would be able to actually play it.

B. I once again recall the launch of another popular MMO called World of Warcraft. I remember thinking at the time "man this game looks kind of crappy and cartoonish". I know I wasn't alone in that opinion. I feel that if a game has good enough gameplay however, the graphics aren't really all that important.

Final rating & explanation:

I give this game an 8/10. I hoped for more out of the gameplay as did many people. I was hoping that this would be a bit of a break from the KoToR/WoW mix that it feels like. I don't think I can fault it for not being a vague and abstract hope I carried, but I feel that it could have tried harder in a few places. I felt the grind feeling around level 14 or so and that hasn't happened to me in an RPG since I made the mistake of playing some crazy ass Korean RPG a few years ago.

The characters are fun, the gameplay is typical, but it is a formula which has proven to be fun or at least addicting enough to keep lots of people playing. The stories I've played through were entertaining as a Star Wars fan (hell I enjoyed this a lot more than those stupid prequels) and overall I would recommend this game to someone who is an MMO and Star Wars fan. If you're playing this game but you don't actually love Star Wars all that much I think it would be easier to find fault with it.
  31. Jan 5, 2012
    This game is great, lots of fun, the best PvE I've ever seen so far in a Mmo (f2p or p2p), kinda wow clone with star wars theme (and that's great 'cuz I love vanilla wow but nowadays Cataclysm sucks so I was waiting for something like this, same gameplay, different stylah).

It has bugs, but who cares, they'll get fixed asap, in 6 months I bet this game will be even moar awesome, with end game raids and pvp shining in the sky like a bright star... just like Nar Shadda.

Btw I've never been a SW fanboy, I liked 4 of the 6 movies (the original trilogy and the last one), and I barely knew any of SW lore before playing this, and i'm enjoying all questlines... so you don't need to be a fanboy to like this game ^^ .
  32. Jan 6, 2012
    I have played MMO's since the original EverQuest. I enjoy this more than any game I have ever played... Sound like a fanboi? Probably, but I have not ever reviewed another game, on any other site. It is quite simply, a wonderful game.
  33. Jan 29, 2012
    This game appeals to two groups: Star Wars fans and MMO gamers. They will all have a blast with this game. As a Star Wars fan, I love the environments that feel alive and allows me to immerse myself in the Star Wars universe and it's lore and adventures. Others have mentioned a lot of other strong points about the game, but a possibly under-mentioned one is the DEVELOPER. BioWare isThis game appeals to two groups: Star Wars fans and MMO gamers. They will all have a blast with this game. As a Star Wars fan, I love the environments that feel alive and allows me to immerse myself in the Star Wars universe and it's lore and adventures. Others have mentioned a lot of other strong points about the game, but a possibly under-mentioned one is the DEVELOPER. BioWare is constantly fixing bugs and issues at blazing speed and providing new content within the first month after launch. UI customization is coming in March along with massive new content and fixes, but I'd say the constant weekly+ ticks of improvement is the best of what BioWare does. They have created a trust-based relationship with their player base (apart from the less mature part of the gamers, who are still whining on the forums, but they will come around to trust papa BioWare too ;)) Expand
  34. Jan 2, 2012
    I didn't think I would like SWTOR. When it was first announced I was extremely excited, but as more and more information spilled out, it looked to me like it was going to be like any other MMO out there. I'm sure that copies some features from other MMORPGs, as all modern MMORPGs do, but I have to say that SWTOR is the most fun I've ever had playing an online RPG game.

If you enjoy the

If you enjoy the Mass Effect series, and you like Star Wars, this is the game for you.

The influence of Mass Effect on this game is extremely obvious, from the conversation choices, to companion relationships, to the immersive storyline. I've put around 40 hours into the game so far, and am a little over half way to the level cap. From what I've heard, I will be playing for around 40-60 more hours until I reach that. 100 hours in one game is a pretty damn long time, especially considering that I have no even touched PvP, and there will be plenty more content opened up when I do hit that cap.

I don't want to go on for too long, because there are so many other reviews for this game already out there, but I just want to say that SWTOR is a game-changer IMO- this coming from someone who's not a big fan of MMORPGs, and who has never played WoW. My fiancee and I have fallen in love with this game, and look forward to furthering the story and progressing our characters each day. It's just plain fun, without that terrible grinding feeling that many MMOs give.
  35. Dec 22, 2011
    This is one of the best MMOs to date. Despite having a few minor bugs (first week of release), SWTOR manages to create game-play that rivals and surpasses WoW and other big competitors. I'd like to make this short so here I go.
    Pros:
    *Great story, fully voice and completely different for all classes *Companions help you with crew skills which takes out the monotony and grind of leveling
    Pros:
    *Great story, fully voice and completely different for all classes
    *Companions help you with crew skills which takes out the monotony and grind of leveling crafting/gathering skills
    *PvP is extremely balanced. No one class can rule them all or survive a fight forever, aka Paladins in WoW
    *PvP warzones are completely unique and fun to play
    *Item customization/upgrades allow you to keep a weapon or piece of armor til end game if you choose and remain competitive , though, it requires work.
    *Great graphics especially for an MMO
    *Music and sounds in game are all consistent with the Star Wars universe you will often hear epic music during your fights and travels *Quests, flashpoints, and operations are really challenging. Bioware doesn't assume that you're a retard like Blizzard does and make everything so simple and easy that it's boring.

Cons:
    *Minor non-gamebreaking bugs, will likely be patched soon
    *Server wait times can get a little long, Bioware needs to allow server transfers for characters
    *Instanced servers

ps. Don't listen to the haters, it's well worth the money.
  36. Dec 26, 2011
    People from other MMOs should feel right at home in this game, It rely on many trusted mechanics so that people dont have re invent the wheel. It has some great aspects in the game like Space combat, crafting and the fully voiced cutscenes that set it apart from other MMOs on the Market, The main storylines are great for propelling you through the leveling process and companions are aPeople from other MMOs should feel right at home in this game, It rely on many trusted mechanics so that people dont have re invent the wheel. It has some great aspects in the game like Space combat, crafting and the fully voiced cutscenes that set it apart from other MMOs on the Market, The main storylines are great for propelling you through the leveling process and companions are a great addition to the game. When you want a change of pace from the single player aspects then theres group quests to do as well as flashpoints which can be changling and require teamwork. This game has just realeased but i can tell it can only go up from here, with more patches and additions this could turn out to be something really special. Expand
  37. Dec 21, 2011
    Don't trust user reviews anymore, MW3 is a fun game and delivers exactly what's its fans want, yet it got a bad user score. I love Kotor, but Tor is better.
  38. Dec 22, 2011
    Finally, a game that delivers the Star Wars experience gamers like myself have been waiting years for. Give it a couple months for patching and such, it'll be legit.
  39. Dec 24, 2011
    The best MMO since Ultima Online.
    I have not enjoyed many mmo's over the years but I keep hoping that one can bring as much fun as I had with Ultima Online back in the day. Tried so many and none felt fun enough to play more then a few months.
    The best MMO since Ultima Online.

The Old Republic does so much right that the few mishaps (Graphics could be better and more custimization in character creation would be nice) barely matter at all. The story is fantastic (an mmo with a great story? You serious?), the characters are interesting, the voice acting is some of the best ever, the atmosphere is great, the sound is well done and its got a very high fun factor.

After Bioware made Dragon Age2 I was worried we might not get another great game from them again, but then comes an amazing game in the Old Republic and pushes Bioware back in the right direction.

There is so much to this game its crazy, weither you want to play it singleplayer or with friends, its well worth it, don't miss out on this amazing game.

Even if you are not a mmo fan you have to give this game a go, any rpg fan should play this wonderful, breathtaking game that has brought some much needed life to a genre that has become very boring lately.

Thank you for an amazing game Bioware!
  40. Dec 23, 2011
    A great combination of RPG and MMO, a true MMORPG. The story lines are great, especially for the Empire, The graphics are nice for an MMO, and the voices acting is great. Some small hiccups with minor bugs and the queues are still there, but overall, extremely entertaining. Additional character customization would be nice, but a majority of MMO's are lacking in this area. Anxious to seeA great combination of RPG and MMO, a true MMORPG. The story lines are great, especially for the Empire, The graphics are nice for an MMO, and the voices acting is great. Some small hiccups with minor bugs and the queues are still there, but overall, extremely entertaining. Additional character customization would be nice, but a majority of MMO's are lacking in this area. Anxious to see how the game progresses and new content is added. Expand
  41. Dec 22, 2011
    If you read a really low review here, they are a WoW fanboy trying to discourage people from picking up the game. The ones I've seen are complaining about extremely trivial things because they obviously feel threatened. The fact of the matter is tat this game is a very fun game, and you should try it yourself before listening to the "brilliant" people trying to attack the game.
  42. Dec 22, 2011
    Since the reviews are all over the place ill give my own list so you can see if your like me..( i will say one thing people who are rushers or have Add may have a issue with the game my wife is such a person shes not patient enough to listen to the story no mater how good it might be.
    1.SWTOR -10
    16.Starcraft 1,2-10
    17.Diablo 1-7
    18 Diablo 2-9
  43. Dec 27, 2011
    SWTOR, maybe not the best game ever, but still one of the smoothest games to be launched in the MMO sphere and one of the best balanced class vice. Even though the customization isn't RIFT, there is still good diversity in the different classes and talent trees, but still kept simple in what stats to use. I would say that this is easy the best success of MMO in a long time, giving both theSWTOR, maybe not the best game ever, but still one of the smoothest games to be launched in the MMO sphere and one of the best balanced class vice. Even though the customization isn't RIFT, there is still good diversity in the different classes and talent trees, but still kept simple in what stats to use. I would say that this is easy the best success of MMO in a long time, giving both the casual player the ability to play a singleplayer game with friends or have the MMO style play where you group up with PUG or friends from guilds. Given the long story lines and really nice scripted quests and scenes, this game will last for a singleplayer perspective a long time, and with the added bonus of such as legacy system, this will be giving players many hours of different gameplay to come. Expand
  44. Dec 27, 2011
    I simply do not understand the bad reviews here?!?!? I am a former WOW and Rift player. SWTOR has everything, and more, that these two MMOs offer. I simply cannot wait to get back online to continue my main's quest story (smuggler). Loving every minute and ca't wait for end-game. Also loving the fact that I don't need to roam the countryside to scavenge.
  45. Jan 3, 2012
    The Old Republic is jam packed with content. Playing through the first two worlds on both Republic and Imperial sides, I have enjoyed several hours of gameplay and it feels like I just scratched the surface. I review this game as a casual WoW player who enjoys single player RPGs and Bioware has done a great job bringing the genres together. The Old Republic includes voice acted questThe Old Republic is jam packed with content. Playing through the first two worlds on both Republic and Imperial sides, I have enjoyed several hours of gameplay and it feels like I just scratched the surface. I review this game as a casual WoW player who enjoys single player RPGs and Bioware has done a great job bringing the genres together. The Old Republic includes voice acted quest progression that immerses the player into the story rather than the game. Much like in the KOTOR series your actions help form your character's story while also giving you benefits for the MMO such as being able to equip an evil light saber. Every player also uses a companion NPC which has useful abilities to aid your particular class (a healer for tanks for example). These companions will do crafting missions to gather resources as well as turn materials into items for the player. Crafting is simple and very similar to other MMOs; however, Bioware has included a chance for players to craft exceptional gear which adds bonuses to items and also allows them to craft the upgraded version into an even higher quality item. The Star Wars universe feels extremely large even before you're able to fly your own ship. Players take speeder bikes or taxis around huge maps giving each section of the world a large amount of space to expand and room for more quests and story. Groups of players can take on difficult missions called Heroics for bigger rewards and harder challenges. There are also many Flashpoints (TOR version of dungeons/instances) with full story lines and strategic boss battles for advanced players and teams. With only 7 days of experience, I still have so much left to play: PVP, Operations (raids), datacron searching (Google it), and space battles! I would recommend The Old Republic to players with patience, fast reaction, critical thinking, and at least a small fondness for the Star Wars universe. It is expected for a game with thousands of quests, a hundred zones, and millions of players to have bugs in the first month of its release. Many reviewers expect this game to be polished out of the box and blow all other MMOs out of the competition, but this is simply just another great game that everyone should play. Bioware has put an estimated 200-300 million dollars into the development of this game and they're listening to their players, do not underestimate the potential of The Old Republic. Expand
  46. Jan 12, 2012
    Pleasantly surprised by the game. It isn't what I was expecting, and I'd still like to see more out of it like co-op and pvp in space etc, but it's off to a good start.
  47. Jan 30, 2012
    I'm pleased with this MMO. I like the stories, the VO and the general gameplay. There have been few games and almost no other MMO that I have enjoyed more than this one.
  48. Feb 13, 2012
    This is a mixed review but ultimately a positive one. First what I don't like - this is an ugly game. Some people like the 'toony' style but I certainly do not. Compared to Rift or even the older Age of Conan, the character graphics and gear are pixelated, misshapen, ugly and uninspiring. The animations are adequate at best and goofy at worst, reusing some from BiowareThis is a mixed review but ultimately a positive one. First what I don't like - this is an ugly game. Some people like the 'toony' style but I certainly do not. Compared to Rift or even the older Age of Conan, the character graphics and gear are pixelated, misshapen, ugly and uninspiring. The animations are adequate at best and goofy at worst, reusing some from Bioware Turkey-of-the-Year Dragon Age 2 (which I loathed). Also many aspects of the game are rough (the UI is only just fit for purpose) but then as the game is so new it is perhaps churlish to complain too loudly as there is every indication they intend to greatly improve the UI and most bugs tend to get patched quickly. Some sound related design decisions are very questionable indeed: I am walking around the Imperial Fleet Station's inner ring and I get bombarded with absurd honky-tonk cantina music that is grotesquely out of kilter with the 'Grrrrr. feel the dark side, we are the bad guys' feeling that should be pervasive on the Imperial Fleet! And I would pay Bioware real money to make that accursed intensely annoying and not in the slightest bit amusing robot on my ship just SHUT UP! Ideally I would like to smash him to pieces and throw him out the airlock.
    ---
    More neutrally... this game breaks very little new ground. It is a very conventional MMO that anyone who has played a mainstream MMO will have no problem understanding almost immediately. Whether or not that is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion.
    ---
    What rocks... the story lines are very good for the most part and the voice acting is absolutely stellar: my very posh female Sith Inquisitor scares me sometimes with her intelligently psychotic one liners! Most importantly game play and team synergy, whilst not perfect, is very much on the right side of acceptable. They have done a good job capturing the 'feel' of the Star Wars Universe and so over all... 8/10
  49. Mar 28, 2012
    I'm clearly in the "Whoa, this is AWESOME" camp. I guess I'm biased, I haven't really been far down the MMO path before. I've tried a couple, WoW being one of them. Played it a bit, didn't get hooked. This game, however, I tried for the first time on the Free Trial weekend and it took me about an hour to get the whole shebang figured out and I'm completely enthralled, hook, line andI'm clearly in the "Whoa, this is AWESOME" camp. I guess I'm biased, I haven't really been far down the MMO path before. I've tried a couple, WoW being one of them. Played it a bit, didn't get hooked. This game, however, I tried for the first time on the Free Trial weekend and it took me about an hour to get the whole shebang figured out and I'm completely enthralled, hook, line and sinker! I was more than happy to fork out the cash for the game and can envision playing this for months on end. I've seen endless pages of criticism about SWTOR, but come on, it's a great game, it lures in newbs (like myself) and provides them with a fascinating look at Star Wars in a whole new way. I loved the old single player games like Knights of the Old Republic, so I guess it makes sense that I'll love this as well. For the seasoned MMO'ers there will always be something to b*tch and moan about... fickle bunch that they are. Stop feeling so damn entitled people and be thankful for what you have.

Love this game, love the action, love the storytelling and love the interaction with fellow gamers and fellow Star Wars fans. Good job, Bioware.
  50. Jul 3, 2012
    So far I have a level 47 Shadow, and a Sorcerer, Sniper, and Bounty hunter all in their mid to late 20's. So keep in mind that I haven't really experienced the end game yet. This game is solidly fun. It's entertaining. It has all the classic aspects of an MMO, so if you're looking for something genre-breaking, perhaps you should go elsewhere. However, if you're looking for interestingSo far I have a level 47 Shadow, and a Sorcerer, Sniper, and Bounty hunter all in their mid to late 20's. So keep in mind that I haven't really experienced the end game yet. This game is solidly fun. It's entertaining. It has all the classic aspects of an MMO, so if you're looking for something genre-breaking, perhaps you should go elsewhere. However, if you're looking for interesting story-lines, and a familiar quest and battle system, then look no further. One notable thing that I enjoy about SWTOR is the companion system. Mostly because it makes it much easier to level a healer or tank (in the correct spec). You get 5 companions to meet any need you might have (Ranged and melee DPS, Ranged and melee tank, and Healer). Another aspect I like about it is the mobs. It's not just "engage one=kill one." All mobs have a varying degree of difficultly and support, and you have to plan accordingly. The class storylines are at all ends of the spectrum. The consular (shadow) storyline is very "meh," whereas I'm finding the Imperial Agent and Bounty hunter stories super engaging. Game play is what you'd expect from an MMO. Not really anything notable there. All the classes are reasonably equal. The voice acting is wonderful, and usually the best voice acting comes from your companion characters. If you don't like cut scenes, I wouldn't go for this game. There is dialogue for every quest, and every part of the quest (that you can skip through.) A few things I dislike: There is the same progression of planets for everyone. Meaning, there is only one planet for each level range. That gets boring. Aside from your class story, you are literally going through the same storyline 4 times for each class on either faction. They're very probably going to add more content with more options, but for now, it's one of the majors drawbacks of the game. Another thing I'm finding I dislike is that BioWare rarely communicates what is going on with their customers. They like to do Q&A's every week, and they have their twitter account, but it's mostly fluff with no real answers that people want. That gets annoying fast. Character creation could use more options and the legacy system could use some fresh eyes. Some of the armor is absolutely RIDICULOUS. But if you're thinking about coming back to the game after being away, I would definitely try it out again. 1.3 added server transfers and Group finder, and it's really re-invigorated the game. And if you're a new player, remember that this game is not even a year old yet, and no MMO's are perfect out of the box, so to keep an open mind. Expand
  51. Dec 23, 2011
    SWTOR blows WoW out of the water. WoW has become to easy of a game to play and noobs can get epiced out in a week. Gamers want a challenge and this is it. The graphics are better, the music is better, the combat is much more exciting(force jumping into mobs while a bounty hunter jet-packs into the air and fires down missiles), the storyline is awesome including group conversation which atSWTOR blows WoW out of the water. WoW has become to easy of a game to play and noobs can get epiced out in a week. Gamers want a challenge and this is it. The graphics are better, the music is better, the combat is much more exciting(force jumping into mobs while a bounty hunter jet-packs into the air and fires down missiles), the storyline is awesome including group conversation which at sometimes can be hilarious , the landscapes are amazing and the lore may be the best on the market. These 300+ negative reviews come from people with a their panties in a bunch or a WoW forever fanboy. Open your eyes to a great start to hopefully a amazing MMORPG experience for everyone. Expand
  52. Dec 25, 2011
    It is a great MMO, Like all of them it has it flaws. But as an MMO Gamer I can tell you it is well made. Graphics and animation are great. Quests are never boring, and you class quest is a well made out story. PVP is fun, I have never PVP'ed so much in an MMO since this game. Crafting is fun and easy to learn. It does require a little bit of streamlining though. Combat is fast and adds aIt is a great MMO, Like all of them it has it flaws. But as an MMO Gamer I can tell you it is well made. Graphics and animation are great. Quests are never boring, and you class quest is a well made out story. PVP is fun, I have never PVP'ed so much in an MMO since this game. Crafting is fun and easy to learn. It does require a little bit of streamlining though. Combat is fast and adds a few new mechanics especially in the healing area. If you are a Star Wars fans go get the game and enjoy it. If you don't like Star Wars you might not like it since it follows the traditional MMO gameplay. In the end I am Enjoying it and can not wait to see what the have in store for the future of the game. Expand
  53. Dec 26, 2011
    Do NOT believe the people saying this is a lobby game. I can't believe they have the audacity to come here and lie when the truth is well known AND out there. The instancing is a TEMPORARY placement for the massive amount of people playing the game. What would you rather have? 500 people hitting the same exact mobs as you or spread out by 100's? Once people start to spread out Bioware hasDo NOT believe the people saying this is a lobby game. I can't believe they have the audacity to come here and lie when the truth is well known AND out there. The instancing is a TEMPORARY placement for the massive amount of people playing the game. What would you rather have? 500 people hitting the same exact mobs as you or spread out by 100's? Once people start to spread out Bioware has stated the instancing will be removed. They have said this a thousand times and I can guarantee you if they didn't use this as a temporary measure these same cry babies would come here spamming 0's and saying how they can't do anything because the game is so crowded. PS: Timacek I have reported you. You are making multiple accounts and spamming this game with the same review word for word over and over again. Enjoy your ban. Expand
  54. Dec 20, 2011
    Since early access started I have not been able to put this game down. that's all I have time to write, this game is awesome, that's all you need to know, go buy it now.
  55. Jan 8, 2012
    Peoples are expecting to get 'WoW' from this game, and that is why they fail. This game is huge and lots of different headlines in the content, so it is very usual there will be bugs... Stop comparing years old games with this little baby 2 weeks old. I like the game although I hate bEAware!
  56. Jan 11, 2012
    Wow (no pun intended), I have never seen such a disparity in review scores based on the fact that the game is similar to a game most of you rating it as a "0" love to death! This game is fun, it is enchanting, supremely polished for a launch MMO, offers unlimited gameplay.... and best of all.... is a lot like WOW! I made the switch because I was tired of the WOW lore and wanted new sceneryWow (no pun intended), I have never seen such a disparity in review scores based on the fact that the game is similar to a game most of you rating it as a "0" love to death! This game is fun, it is enchanting, supremely polished for a launch MMO, offers unlimited gameplay.... and best of all.... is a lot like WOW! I made the switch because I was tired of the WOW lore and wanted new scenery and Im glad I did. I feel like im playing pretty much the same game, with a better story that has a far more fleshed out and robust history... which could make for some pretty extreme additional content. The potential this already great game holds is exciting and all the reason you should need to pick it up and start leveling now before you fall too far behind. Expand
  57. Jan 8, 2012
    SWTOR comes with a big caveat: if you're one of those people who drools over sandbox MMO's and can only enjoy those MMO's or MMO's of 10 years ago or if you're one those gamers who have grown jaded and burnt themselves out on themepark MMO's after playing them for many years and many thousands of hours, then look elsewhere: SWTOR is not the MMO you're looking for. It should be obvious toSWTOR comes with a big caveat: if you're one of those people who drools over sandbox MMO's and can only enjoy those MMO's or MMO's of 10 years ago or if you're one those gamers who have grown jaded and burnt themselves out on themepark MMO's after playing them for many years and many thousands of hours, then look elsewhere: SWTOR is not the MMO you're looking for. It should be obvious to everyone who has an inkling of knowledge about MMORPG's: SWTOR is a themepark MMORPG in the style of WoW, LotrO, Rift and others in that MMO subgenre. Those people who have lost the ability to enjoy themselves in themepark MMO's or lacked that ability from the start, I'd advice to steer away from SWTOR, unless you enjoyed former BW games or can appreciate a more story focused questing experience. However, those people who up till now had a great time with themepark MMO's like WoW, LotrO, Aion, and/or Rift, SWTOR has a wealth to offer. All the usual MMO features like open world PvP, dungeons, battlegrounds (warzones), large planets to explore and crafting are fused with BW's brand of story crafting and level of quality. Does BW's own twist makes a difference? Hell yes! I can honestly say that BW's approach to adding more immersive story to the gameplay makes questing the most interesting, immersive experience I have had so far in any MMO in 10 years of playing MMO's. I tried Rift a year ago, and I found the questing boring as hell, making leveling a lot more tedious. I got a glimpse of how story can make questing and leveling more fun in MMO's like LotrO book quests and AoC's Tortage and destiny quests. But SWTOR upgrades it to another level and fully immerses you in that kind of questing experience. And it's great. Add to that huge planets to explore (those that enjoyed exploring in vast worlds like Asheron's Call and Everquest will certainly love this aspect in SWTOR), crafting that's more varied and fun than in as good as all other MMO's, and PvP fun to be had in objective based open world PvP, Free-For-All PvP and SWTOR's battlegrounds with a fun gladiator sports style arena like Huttball, and there's a lot to keep busy and entertained with, at least for gamers who're still able to enjoy themepark MMO's :-) I'm looking forward to what more BW has planned with SWTOR. Expand
  58. Feb 1, 2012
    Good story. Lots of content for a new MMO. Some of us remember major Mmo releases with huge leveling gaps where you HAD to grind mobs. Art design and graphics are well done. Character customization could be better. Classes are nothing new. Sound effects and music are great. I've had no performance issues myself but I hear about some for people with decent rigs. The UI needs moreGood story. Lots of content for a new MMO. Some of us remember major Mmo releases with huge leveling gaps where you HAD to grind mobs. Art design and graphics are well done. Character customization could be better. Classes are nothing new. Sound effects and music are great. I've had no performance issues myself but I hear about some for people with decent rigs. The UI needs more customization - Skill proliferation is a minor issue for non-clickers. But then again it was functional if lacking in convenience. End game needs more open ended game play, e.g. territory control, open world raids, rinse and repeat raids are boring. PvP is currently weak due to faction imbalances, surprise surprise. Crafting, works, but balance v. raid loot is not implemented well. 8 good. higher points for a smooth launch. AS much as I love TOR setting, I can't give higher than an 8 for linear only gameplay. Expand
  59. Jan 2, 2012
    This is the first time I've done a review, and I'm doing it to encourage you to try this game out. I've been gaming since PC's were invented and I've never played a game like SWTOR. Graphically it's outstanding. Gameplay is outstanding. The writing is universally great and it works whether you play as a solo type or a person that likes grouping. Space combat is flying "along a rail"This is the first time I've done a review, and I'm doing it to encourage you to try this game out. I've been gaming since PC's were invented and I've never played a game like SWTOR. Graphically it's outstanding. Gameplay is outstanding. The writing is universally great and it works whether you play as a solo type or a person that likes grouping. Space combat is flying "along a rail" and fun, the crafting options are really extensive and by letting your companions do the work, lots of fun. Speaking of companions, they make the game in my opinion. You get at lvl 10 your own little team, and frankly the companion AI is as good as most players. Definitely on my top 10 list of all time. Expand
  60. Dec 22, 2011
    This is a great game. I'm not up rating it to counterbalance the propaganda machine, it really is worth 10/10 to me. Definitely shows that they spent the 150+ million in making this game. That said, its a very long game and you should tread cautiously when deciding if you want to play this game. If you want to be the best in this game your going to have to put in a lot of hours before youThis is a great game. I'm not up rating it to counterbalance the propaganda machine, it really is worth 10/10 to me. Definitely shows that they spent the 150+ million in making this game. That said, its a very long game and you should tread cautiously when deciding if you want to play this game. If you want to be the best in this game your going to have to put in a lot of hours before you can even think about competing with the lifers. They will literally stop at nothing to beat you, including dropping out of school and playing 18 hours a day. Thankfully the game doesn't feel like a grind and you can enjoy the "trip" to max level as much as if you were playing DA:O or ME. Expand
  61. Dec 22, 2011
    Im a long time MMO player, with many games under my belt. I've played WoW from Vanilla to WotLK,
    Guildwars, Age of Conan, DC universe online, and a plenty of free MMO:s. So I have a lot to compare to, but I will try to review the game on its own.

I usually dont write any reviews, but after seeing this game gain so many unfair negative reviews, some from people, who have probably never even played the game and are just trying get approvement from **** or some other communtity that hates everything fun, Ive decided to give my honest opinion on the game.

So after playing this game to level 20 on my bounty hunter, im finally ready to give my first impression on the game. Ive had many great adventures on that journey, both alone and in groups. And i've still got more than half of the leveling content and the end game to see.

So firstly I will talk about the gameplay. For those of you who have played any MMO since the success of World of Warcraft, the gameplay mechanics will probably feel instantly familiar. However i'm much more in control of my own character since i have to perform all the attacks by myself, even the auto-attack. The UI was a bit too flashy for my liking at first, but after a while I've gotten used to it. It works very well and has everything important in your reach. Its also pretty well customisable through ingame settings. Though i would like the option to make it more simplistic, and remove all the uneccessary decorations from it. There are plenty of great improvements to the usual gameplay. The companions add a great new twist into the game. Cause now you can play better while alone, even if you want to be a tank or a healer. And you can complete 4 man quests with just 2 players and 2 companions. Of course if there are for example 3 players, you can only summon 1 companion so it is in no way overpowered. The companions also help you in many ways, such as you can send them to sell your grey items to vendor if you run out of space or let them do the crafting for you while you are on your adventures (I especially like this system). Then they have spiced up the normal gameplay with fun elements, as your own spaceship and spacecombat.

Now about the gameworlds. They are huge and immersive. And beatiful. I did not like the first planet I was on, but every planet ive been since has been great. I love how there is plenty of group quest-content inserted into each planet. The only downthing I have with these big planets, is that it may be a bit boring to run from one place to another before you get your first mount. Also the conversations and the story is a great improvement from other mmos.

All the instances Ive been to have been fun, and immersed you in great adventures through the means of story, music and proper pacing. The difficulty's been about right too. Few wipes but not too challenging to make the group quit in the middle of run. Bioware has also been actively patching the game and it has already improved in many ways since its launch, wich was only a few days ago. I think all players who enjoy mmos should try this out. In its current state the game is a solid 8/10, but it has been the best mmo launch i have been part of, and the I see a great future for this game so ill give it 10/10 just for the potential, and to counter all those unfair, biased reviews.
  62. Dec 23, 2011
    In short, a complete and true MMORPG. Quests and the story-telling are entertaining and FUN. They are no different than other MMO's, but the way Bioware presents them is 100x better. Warzones are similar to scenarios in Warhammer Online. I have not tried the Open World Free for All PvP yet, but am looking forward to it. So far this is the best experience I have had in an MMO.
  63. Dec 26, 2011
    This is absolutely pathetic...the same people are giving this game 0's and going to EVERY high score review and giving it a thumbs down and every low score review a thumbs up. Must be so sad to have nothing to do in your lives but troll metacritic. Did Bioware kill your cat? Anywho, wonderful MMO with fantastic story telling, big worlds to explore, great graphics, and beautiful Star Wars music.
  64. Dec 22, 2011
    Amazing game with fantastic voice work, story and multi player content, so far 60ish hours in and its a worth successor to the KOTOR series. The flashpoints are epic, the sound fantastic and it really feels like star wars. The only downside is that with so many side quests it can dilute the class story a bit.
  65. Dec 20, 2011
    Im going to start by saying iv'e been a WoW player since 2 months after vanilla was released. Lately, WoW has become abysmal. The funny part is, without the cataclysm, I would still be playing, but Blizzard got to greedy and messed up their big franchise beyond the point of no return. My childhood gaming was classic X-Box, to gamecube, to 360. And I LOVED Knights of the old republic 1 andIm going to start by saying iv'e been a WoW player since 2 months after vanilla was released. Lately, WoW has become abysmal. The funny part is, without the cataclysm, I would still be playing, but Blizzard got to greedy and messed up their big franchise beyond the point of no return. My childhood gaming was classic X-Box, to gamecube, to 360. And I LOVED Knights of the old republic 1 and 2. I lost countless hours in them. Jedi Knight: Jedi academy and Force Unleashed I also enjoyed. But nothing really came close to the epicness that was KOTOR. Until mass effect, I thought that was the game for me after WoW got old but now....This is it. This is going to be one of the greatest MMO's of all time. Its getting the same complaints vanilla WoW got. But what the ignorant low scorer's fail to see is this is an MMO and that means one thing. PATCHS. People complain of bugs in console games, yes, they suck and if you dont have online you dont get them fixed, but in a game like this with so much money already invested in it, there will not only be bugfix patches, but content patches the likes of which we haven't seen since ES: Oblivions Shivering isles. I give this game an 8 because yes, on first look, not to amazing, but I have faith that just like vanilla, it will rise out of the low and become the source of entertainment for me for many years to come. Expand
  66. Dec 22, 2011
    Bioware has set a new standart.
    In my humble opinion BioWare managed as the first company to create a real mmoRPG.
    Bioware has set a new standart.
    The story telling elements inside are so huge and well done, that you realy feel like being in the world of StarWars in the age of Kotor. You don't feel like being dragged and led through quest hubs to level, you don't feel the "burdon" of leveling itself, it just flows through naturaly due to the great storyline, individualy designed by your choices (light side/dark side, class, good/bad decisions). This system leads to an interesting character development besides getting new skills and skillpoints to better your skills.

Furthermore BioWare managed with their last Beta-Weekend and the long headstart to create the smoothest MMO-Start ever seen. You have some queues, but thats better than having empty servers and being forced to merge pretty soon - besides that the game runs pretty fluent and there are no big "nono-issues" included in the final version. Staying at the technical side i realy enjoy the graphic engine - not it's not state of the art, it's the heroes engine, but thats a good choice. This engine is well developed and reached a certain quality level you need to ensure a bug free running mmo. if you have a look at games like Age of Conan, creating a new engine, and new problems you realy realy look forward to have a solid gameplay and graphic engine with relativly low requirements. Furthermore the engine suits perfectly the kotor scenario, like the slight anime characteristic suits the TV-Series (CloneWars) and the Kotor gaming series as well. It feels like it was totaly the right choice.
    One negative aspect of that engine is the current ui and the character creation. But both issues are on the priority list quiet important for BioWare and we can expect better options there in the next big patches.

Another great idea is the companion system, having the chance like in Kotor to learn the stories of up to 5 companions (per class) and being able to interact with them offers even more possibilites to go deeper into the storytelling, furthermore they act as your pets being realy tremendously helpful during your fights and leveling process.
    A matter of taste is the companion related crafting system. I personaly like it - the hardcore crafter will dislike it, but you will send your companions for crafting missions. You let them craft, "waste" their time and be able to continue with the things your are currently doing while improving your process. I realy appreciate it, but as I said not everybody will.

PvP:
    PvP has a new aspect for the MMO-sector. It has (not on the open pvp planet ilum) a level equaliser. It buffs your HP and your skills to the highest level. So it is theoreticaly possible to fight lvl 10 vs. lvl 50. Theoreticaly because as a lvl 10 you are laking some skills and may be equipment, but you have a realistic chance to compete to a certain point. The good thing about it is that it is easier to play with your mates no matter what level they are and there will be pvp games going on during the level period, because the field of possible competetors is way wider than in usual mmos.
    The maps are pretty much known as Domination and Assault/Defence. What's new is the Hutt Ball. A quiet funny pvp map where you are able to play with the enemy faction as well. It's just a fun map, but it's well done... i won't write so much about it cause there are alot of videos out there.
    The PvP itself feels smooth. On the one hand the tanks and healers are not as useless/boring as they are often in other pvp systems, cause for example the tank can use his taunt to reduce damage in pvp and the fighting time seems to be quiet good. It's not that you have to fight through epic fights all the time.. it's not taking hours to one-on-one, but on the otherhand there is no one-hitting-slaughter-class in the game.

Coming to the PVE aspect like flashpoints. I don't know how well done the raids are yet (I am lvl 40), but the flashpoints for groups are cool though. Some of them are again realy story driven and your decisions make an impact on how the dungeon is going on, some of them are straight forward pve flashpoints. Nearly all the bosses have abilites you have to take care of, so if you are not way overleveled there is no real tanks and spank for the most situations.

For the last point before the conclusion I will cover the world design.
    The ones who know StarWars will realy enjoy the world they will be dropped in. The detail and the fauna is amazingly well done... again they have gotten the maximum out of the engine to get the right atmosphere to the game.

As a conclusion I would highly recommend you to at least try the game. As a StarWars fan you will be amazed, but even as a casual MMO-Player you will have fun and enjoy. Give it a shot and don't be afraid, because of some people having to "flame" and "down-rank" the game so hard.
  67. Dec 30, 2011
    Awesome game, if you were expecting something hugely different from WoW, sorry to dissappoint. Seems only the WoW fanboys are crying on the negative reviews. This is a masterpiece
  68. Jan 6, 2012
    Awesome MMO, one of the best yet! This game is nothing like wow, duh. Yet it does have mmo features like all of them, which would be ignorant if it didn't because it would not be a mmo then. For a game to be this good after just launching, new content and expansions is something to be really excited about.
  69. Jan 5, 2012
    I have been playing the game since Dec 20th release date. I can say in all honesty I have been having a great time with it. I was nervous about spending the 60 dollars to try it out initally, but I am glad I did now. I have some friends on the same server aswell, and we group up to do Heroic quests and flashpoints. To make things clear about instanced areas, the game does have some, butI have been playing the game since Dec 20th release date. I can say in all honesty I have been having a great time with it. I was nervous about spending the 60 dollars to try it out initally, but I am glad I did now. I have some friends on the same server aswell, and we group up to do Heroic quests and flashpoints. To make things clear about instanced areas, the game does have some, but most of the game is open world like Rift or Wow. The instanced areas are mainly character specific quests, some heroic quests, and flashpoints. After playing Wow, Rift, and a couple FTP mmo's, I am like this one the most. Been a great time. Some complaints would be the Auction house interface needs some work, and many crafting nodes seem to be broke. But after playing the game for 80+ hours, I ran into no critical game breaking bugs, just some minor stuff here and there. Pretty good for a brand new MMO. Expand
  70. Dec 28, 2011
    Hats off to Bioware for creating a fantastic MMO experience! The storytelling mode alone makes this game incredible and even more fun when playing with your friends in a flashpoint (instance). Along with the story I've had so much fun with many other elements of the game from companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on. Out of the game I like the way Bioware is working onHats off to Bioware for creating a fantastic MMO experience! The storytelling mode alone makes this game incredible and even more fun when playing with your friends in a flashpoint (instance). Along with the story I've had so much fun with many other elements of the game from companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on. Out of the game I like the way Bioware is working on issues and every login I see a small patches here and there fixing problems. Even when they had Que issues in beginning they jumped to add and improve servers. If you are a Star Wars fan and like the MMO world you will not be disappointed. Expand
  71. Dec 29, 2011
    I've tested WoW, AoC, DD online, DC online and SW:TOR beta and i must say that SW:TOR is the best MMO what I've played. WoW is too overrated and now it seems like Blizzard has used all ideas because they added pandas to Wow which is just stupidest thing what they have done... And now Bioware has made masterwork of MMO which will be The best of MMORPG!!!! May the force be with you Bioware...
  72. Dec 30, 2011
    Do not listen to the trolls, they are not telling the truth. This game is refreshing and most of all FUN! Most people giving it a bad review are wow committed and just want people not to try it. I love the fact that you can listen to people talk and not have to read boring quest text. It has a nice built in quest tracker which is helpful. I am only level 11 but right away the powersDo not listen to the trolls, they are not telling the truth. This game is refreshing and most of all FUN! Most people giving it a bad review are wow committed and just want people not to try it. I love the fact that you can listen to people talk and not have to read boring quest text. It has a nice built in quest tracker which is helpful. I am only level 11 but right away the powers you have make you feel powerful. Expand
  73. Dec 30, 2011
    While it isn't revolutionary, once you have played an MMO with full voiceovers, it would be difficult to go back to text based games.

The crafting system is addicting, and there are very few bugs for a launch title. Not to mention the story is pretty amazing for an MMO. If you're a Star Wars fan, you'll want to pick this one up, for sure.
  74. Jan 3, 2012
    End game pvp consists of fighting low level players in warzones. It is completely unchallenging for the level 50s and impossibly frustrating for level 10 - 40s. There are no level brackets. The system is an absolute joke.

PvP gets a score of 2 out of 10.

The questing gets an 8/10

Average score for the game 6/10

Reccomend: Not worth buying
  75. Apr 19, 2012
    This was my 1st MMORPG, the main reason I got this game because it had Bioware stamp on it and let me tell you: this game is awesome! Great storyline, feels this playing a regular role playing game but now online. There is just so much to do, not including level grinding, so much quest and the people are fairly nice and helpful. Bioware really out did themselves and set a new high forThis was my 1st MMORPG, the main reason I got this game because it had Bioware stamp on it and let me tell you: this game is awesome! Great storyline, feels this playing a regular role playing game but now online. There is just so much to do, not including level grinding, so much quest and the people are fairly nice and helpful. Bioware really out did themselves and set a new high for everyone else. Sure there is $15 monthly payment but its normal, this game is totally a full price game! Expand
  76. May 24, 2012
    I don't get rating it down for being generic, yes they have taken WOW and stuck it in the Star Wars universe, but you know what, I like that and it is fine. That gives it a solid base for a MMO. The story cinematics are good and I have found the story for the smuggler is good fun, and I have had a blast with it. I can't speak for the others as I am not far enough in with my alts but soI don't get rating it down for being generic, yes they have taken WOW and stuck it in the Star Wars universe, but you know what, I like that and it is fine. That gives it a solid base for a MMO. The story cinematics are good and I have found the story for the smuggler is good fun, and I have had a blast with it. I can't speak for the others as I am not far enough in with my alts but so far all seem worth playing through. Expand
  77. Apr 6, 2012
    There are people coming to this game from WoW, and there's people coming to this game as BIOWARE fans. To the Wow people: this game is awesome, there's no looking back. To the BIOWARE fans: expect a true Bioware experience, just be prepared to spend a lot more time than usual to get to the meat of the story, and who knows, you might make some friends along the way.
  78. Jan 7, 2012
    This game in no way shape or form deserves ANYTHING below a 5, such scores should be reserved for truly abysmal games. I would give this a 8 or 9 out of 10, but I feel the need to counteract the trolls. First of all, this is an amazing star wars game I would recommend to any fan of the movies. Second, the storytelling, notable bioware conversation system, and the voice acting are allThis game in no way shape or form deserves ANYTHING below a 5, such scores should be reserved for truly abysmal games. I would give this a 8 or 9 out of 10, but I feel the need to counteract the trolls. First of all, this is an amazing star wars game I would recommend to any fan of the movies. Second, the storytelling, notable bioware conversation system, and the voice acting are all outstanding. Unlike any MMO I've played before it, I actually care about the story. The main story arc for each class is very enjoyable and even the side quest stories can be interesting. I cannot understand the hate. Expand
  79. Dec 22, 2011
    Very well made. You can tell a lot of hard work went into this game. Loving it so far. The storyline is amazing. environments and space combat are awesome. Love the 4 man grouping options its not so hectic being a healer now. Over all loving the game so far.
  80. Dec 22, 2011
    This game is amazing and one of the best MMOs on the market. People are hating on this game right now because they are trying to compare it to SWG and SWTOR is WAY better than SWG ever was. Bioware has brought all the best features from many great MMOs into one place and they polished it all into a great addition to the Star Wars universe. If you loved the KOTOR games you will love SWTOR.This game is amazing and one of the best MMOs on the market. People are hating on this game right now because they are trying to compare it to SWG and SWTOR is WAY better than SWG ever was. Bioware has brought all the best features from many great MMOs into one place and they polished it all into a great addition to the Star Wars universe. If you loved the KOTOR games you will love SWTOR. Dont listen to the cry babies and the haters buy the game and see for yourself how amazing this game really is. Best MMO to release in the last 10 years by far! Expand
  81. Dec 22, 2011
    Lets see, you get your own ship, space missions, companions, crew skills, flashpoints, heroic areas, voice acting, great main story line, commendations, dark/light side, item modifications, etc... yea seems like a WoW rip-off, doesn't it?

Dont be discouraged by some of the reviews here, giving it less than 6 is just pure stupidity because the game offers a lot even though it might look similar to some mmos out there and even wow but that doesn't make it a bad game! Yes, it has few weaknesses but i'd rather mention couple of bugs, texture popping or full servers (even website), than bashing it for not being the 100% original game. If you are a star wars fan, don't hesitate and go for it! If you are not, you will still have a lot of fun with this game.
  82. Dec 31, 2011
    This game is amazing. The worlds feel real. Everywhere you go it is obvious that immense amounts of detail and thought were put in. Obviously the game does revolutionize mmo mechanics. Thats not what it set out to do. What it does do is create a Star Wars galaxy with a great story, immersive worlds, and streamlined combat and features. I have not stopped playing this game since I got itThis game is amazing. The worlds feel real. Everywhere you go it is obvious that immense amounts of detail and thought were put in. Obviously the game does revolutionize mmo mechanics. Thats not what it set out to do. What it does do is create a Star Wars galaxy with a great story, immersive worlds, and streamlined combat and features. I have not stopped playing this game since I got it and thats how it will stay. Expand
  83. Jan 2, 2012
    Judging by the reviews here it seems that a lot of people tried to rate this game either the day it came out. Most of those 0s and 1s are WoW fanboys who probably feel threatened that there is another game out there to challenge their precious game. For the review; Stunning.. Well worth the 5+ years I waited for this game. The questing in this game is heads and shoulders above any otherJudging by the reviews here it seems that a lot of people tried to rate this game either the day it came out. Most of those 0s and 1s are WoW fanboys who probably feel threatened that there is another game out there to challenge their precious game. For the review; Stunning.. Well worth the 5+ years I waited for this game. The questing in this game is heads and shoulders above any other game out there. Leveling does not feel like a grind. Not to mention once you get off your second world when leveling (about level 15-18) and you get into the 3rd and 4th world the space really opens up and you feel like you are in the star wars world. Personally, I will be playing this game for years, and judging by how many people bought this game and pre-ordered it will be very successful. It broke all of WoWs records. Now all we need is to keep all those 10 year old fanboys out of this game and it would be perfect! Expand
  84. Jan 5, 2012
    Really the best mmo I've played in a long time! Its the only mmo to date that is able to give me the fun i had when i was playing Starwars Galaxies before the famous "NGE" downgrade. Even if it don't have the same gameplay depth (i don't think i will ever see that again before a long time in a mmo, sadly...), the depth of the story really compensate that (at least while I'm doing it...)!
  85. Jan 5, 2012
    Been playing the game since the first day of early access and it's my favorite games of 2011 now. Well, it's a tough call between this and the Witcher 2 so let's call it one of my favorites instead. The best part of this game is the Bioware story, choices, and voice acting. It really brings a whole new immersion level to MMO's I haven't seen before. I actually feel attached to my characterBeen playing the game since the first day of early access and it's my favorite games of 2011 now. Well, it's a tough call between this and the Witcher 2 so let's call it one of my favorites instead. The best part of this game is the Bioware story, choices, and voice acting. It really brings a whole new immersion level to MMO's I haven't seen before. I actually feel attached to my character now as if she is really their inside the world. If you are a Star Wars fan and have been dissapointed where the franchise has been going you will be happy to know that this is the Star Wars you know and love. In fact, my Imperial Agent story has been the most interesting Star Wars tale I've seen. The visuals are really nice to look at and have a very unique style, however, there is a nasty bug where the high settings for the textures doesn't do anything and all you see is medium. While in conversation the high textures work but once out of it no go. So I am hoping they fix this soon.

The combat to me is very smooth and rewarding, I personally love the cover system for the Imperial Agent and makes the game much more interesting. I always thought WoW had the best traditional MMO combat but ToR is up in that category I think.

The sound and music is what you would expect from a Star Wars game. The lightsabers sound great, the pew pew from the lasers is just as iconic as in the movies, and the music is one of the highlights in the audio/visual department. The voice acting is suberbly done as well with some incredible talent like Jennifer Hale voicing the game. The worlds themselves are HUGE. So much to explore and see it gets overwhelming the further you progress. At the moment to control population the game uses instancing but that is only a temporary measure that should be removed shortly according to Bioware.

I was thinking between giving the game a 9 or a 10. 9 because of some of the bugs and issues the game has but then again this is an MMO and a very large/ambitious game so I think personally I justify it as a 10. I really love the game and will play it for a long while to come.
  86. Jan 23, 2012
    Reactions to this game seem to vary wildly, but BioWare has crafted a very enjoyable game. The storylines are engaging, space battles are fun (despite the complaints about being on rails), and the flashpoints are more engaging than nearly any other game with group instances I have played.
    As a single-player rpg, this game is very reminescent of Knights of the Old Republic I and II. It is easy to play this game solo from 1-50. However, if you enjoy grouping up, there are plenty of opportunities to do so; aside from flashpoints and operations (Raids), many planets have daily, repeatable heroics for groups of 2-4, providing upgraded item rewards and harder groups of enemies.
    Crafting is the most enjoyable of any mmo I have played. Rather than make you spend hours and hours in a capital city, dragging out mats and crafting items one by one, you are able to send companions (as you level, the number you can send off to craft grows) on various missions which provide crafting rewards as well as have a companion craft the actual tradeskill items for use.
    People decrying the heavy instancing of this game must be forgetting a very common complaint among mmos: camping specialty mobs. In this game, the instancing (planets are instanced to thin out the number of people with whom you compete for quest objectives) is heavy, but the only negative that results here is that you see far fewer people as you are out in the world than you might in another MMO. However, it's easy to review how many people are on your planet and find players with whom to cooperate if you need (and switching planet instances is as easy as two clicks). Instancing many of the quest objective areas also has the added effect of making YOU the hero of your story. If you're going after the Imperial General, whose defeat will ensure the Republic's victory on a planet, it makes you feel like the actual champion if you don't have to wait in line for 6 others to kill him first.

This game is definitely not for everyone. Many people enjoy an open world, with a rather unrestricted ability to do what you want. Other people might enjoy a game that guides you a bit, provides some intriguing storylines (indeed, I've played many an MMO I eventually dropped because, aside from trying to roleplay my own story, there was nothing inherent in the game to grab on), and definitely makes that "kill 10 womp rats" questline more enjoyable than your run-of-the-mill MMO.
  87. Dec 24, 2011
    this game's current user score (6.1) is undeserved. This game is more like an 8, but i'm giving it a 10 to balance out the ridiculous trolling and smear campaign that is going on here. When did PC gamers become a bunch of pissy brats who will dedicate more time to finding things wrong with a game then actually playing it? It's sad, it really is. And we wonder why the industry appears to bethis game's current user score (6.1) is undeserved. This game is more like an 8, but i'm giving it a 10 to balance out the ridiculous trolling and smear campaign that is going on here. When did PC gamers become a bunch of pissy brats who will dedicate more time to finding things wrong with a game then actually playing it? It's sad, it really is. And we wonder why the industry appears to be leaving us behind.... Expand
  88. Dec 23, 2011
    This is the first MMO that I've actually played for an extended amount of time, and I have to say I'm pretty amazed with it. There is such a vast universe that Bioware has created. And when you're done exploring this universe, there is a grossly enriching story to get involved in. There are plenty of quests that you can do as a group with other players. There are also quests you can doThis is the first MMO that I've actually played for an extended amount of time, and I have to say I'm pretty amazed with it. There is such a vast universe that Bioware has created. And when you're done exploring this universe, there is a grossly enriching story to get involved in. There are plenty of quests that you can do as a group with other players. There are also quests you can do by yourself so I think there is a great balance. Good job Bioware! Expand
  89. Dec 23, 2011
    This game is a monumental success in entertainment history, mooove on over WoW theres a far more better immersive mmo experience by the name of Star Wars the Old Republic. This game is too good for life itsself, WoW is laying on its deathbed because of this game and biowae is pulling WoW's plug. It is time for a new mmo to dominate! May the force be with you my brothas. R.I.P. World OfThis game is a monumental success in entertainment history, mooove on over WoW theres a far more better immersive mmo experience by the name of Star Wars the Old Republic. This game is too good for life itsself, WoW is laying on its deathbed because of this game and biowae is pulling WoW's plug. It is time for a new mmo to dominate! May the force be with you my brothas. R.I.P. World Of Warcraft Nov.23.2004-Dec.20.2011 (: Expand
  90. Jan 10, 2012
    I am hitting myself for buying into the hype. I'm not a fan of StarWars, though I am a fan of MMORPG's and ScienceFiction/Fantasy so this seemed a safe buy. I was hesitant at first, but as soon as the majority of my friends bought it I knew I had to as well. What a mistake. Boring, repetitive, empty, sluggish and buggy. Not a BAD game, but not worthy of being called anything beyondI am hitting myself for buying into the hype. I'm not a fan of StarWars, though I am a fan of MMORPG's and ScienceFiction/Fantasy so this seemed a safe buy. I was hesitant at first, but as soon as the majority of my friends bought it I knew I had to as well. What a mistake. Boring, repetitive, empty, sluggish and buggy. Not a BAD game, but not worthy of being called anything beyond mediocre, if only because of it's good - not great - graphics (though by today's standards isn't saying much) and I must admit great voice acting. I tried REALLY hard to like this game, but to no avail. PvP is lackluster, with no skill involved, and instances are so simple it's pathetic. I have also heard from end game players that there is only ONE RAID, which is bugged to the max. I canceled my subscription already, and have a another week or so for the 30 free days but I won't be playing it again. If you like WoW like I do for it's polished, accessible, vast world and lore, I would suggest you avoid this bland in comparison copy with a StarWars skin. If you hate WoW then perhaps this is the game for you. Expand
  91. Feb 11, 2012
    This game has all the issues of every MMO that has ever been released. There's bugs, balance issues and some features that are missing that people want. The one great thing about MMO's are that the game grows and matures and hopefully turns into something better then when it's first released. Unfortunately in this day and age people want instant gratification and don't have the patience toThis game has all the issues of every MMO that has ever been released. There's bugs, balance issues and some features that are missing that people want. The one great thing about MMO's are that the game grows and matures and hopefully turns into something better then when it's first released. Unfortunately in this day and age people want instant gratification and don't have the patience to allow a developer to make a game better. They expect everything to be the way they want it right this second.

1. The voice over work is as awesome as any Bioware product. 2. The class story lines are amazing (granted I've only seen half of the class story lines but the 4/8 have been great).
    3. I find the combat to be done well. I like it better than WoW.
    4. I love having my personal spaceship as a base of operations.
    5. I like the crafting system quite a bit to include the reverse engineering portion (eventhough that can be very frustrating at times).
    6. I think the appearance of the locations are great. Often I find myself stopping to look at the area and I'm quite taken aback.
    7. I think the companion system adds another layer to game because I find myself getting invested with my companions.

Some bad points are as follows:
    1. The customer service at launch was atrocious. I don't know how it is right now but I hear it's not much better.
    2. Reverse engineering being tied to the RNG can be extremely frustrating. They need to implement some kind of guaranteed % in the background. Currently it's possible to never learn a new recipe because of the RE process being random.
    3. The UI is crapola. You can't move anything around or change the scale. (Supposedly this is changing in the big content update in March)
    4. There's still quite a few skills that are broken within various AC's that have been broken since beta which make certain trees of AC's useless to play.
    5. The pvp on Ilum is still crappy. They have this massive open world for pvp and they shard the zone because of performance issues. There's really no point in going there to be honest. When you get there you get the sense that there should be a massive battle going on of 100+ vs. 100+ but you'll be lucky to find 8 people from the opposite faction.
    6. Faction imbalance is pretty bad as well which makes it another reason no one wants to open world pvp. The Empire outnumbers the Republic on most servers so the Repubs hardly come out to play in open world pvp because they will get steamrolled.

Those are the things that I think are hurting the game the most right now.

The reason I gave the game a 9 was because the game as it stands right now is an awesome game. If Bioware is diligent in addressing the communities concern then this game is going to be a big deal. Most people forget what WoW started out with when it launched. It might have had 25% of what it currently has. It just takes time for MMO's to come into their own.
  92. Mar 14, 2012
    This game is amazing! The best MMO out there, period. If you love star wars you will love this game. I've had so much fun with the story, companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on... There is not much negative about this game.. I can't wait for future updates and expansion :) May the force be with you!
  93. Dec 26, 2011
    If you're reading this review your probably scrolling down the list and marking every review you dislike as not helpful, and regardless I'm still going to give this game a positive review so if you feel the need to be a douchebag than go for it. To everybody else, the first thing you need to understand about the negative user reviews is that they are either from those who were in the beta,If you're reading this review your probably scrolling down the list and marking every review you dislike as not helpful, and regardless I'm still going to give this game a positive review so if you feel the need to be a douchebag than go for it. To everybody else, the first thing you need to understand about the negative user reviews is that they are either from those who were in the beta, or those who are fanboys of other MMO's. The complaints about lag, glitches, ugly graphics, crappy textures and a bad UI are from idiots with terrible computers, and while they probably claim otherwise it simply cannot be true because SWTOR meets none of those complaints. This game is one of the best looking MMO's on the market, along with one of the smoothest and has had very little glitches compared to other MMO launches. The optimization could be better, however if you're going to play this game on low settings then don't bother with it as you'll probably end up bashing the visuals like every other retard. When maxed this game is one of the better looking MMO's, it feels high quality from the moment you create your character. There are 8 different classes, 16 in total if you count the specializations and 32 if you count the talent tree's, in other words this game has a lot of character customization options. Throw in a bunch of races and character creation options and you have yourself a very good amount of options to roll with. Whether you like charging into battle head first, or sitting in the back healing, or even using stealth to pick and choose your enemies, this game has something for everybody's play style. In other reviews you've probably heard about the story, and while I personally find it to be very good, I haven't experienced all the story options to really judge the game on that one element, however what I can tell you is that the combat is very fluid, the game has, for the most part great voice acting and there is literally 200+ hours of content per character play-through, this is an MMO though so there's always going to be something for you to do upon reaching level cap. Overall SWTOR is a very good game, and to the people saying "zones are instanced, each server is not one world" and all that BS, why don't you guys actually play the game first before spewing BS? Zones are packed, large with tons of players, the game feels far from dead. In short to the skeptics, don't let the negative user reviews throw you off, actually go buy this game because even if you dislike the monthly fee, in one month you'll spend more time playing this game than any other game outside of maybe Skyrim. Expand
  94. Dec 22, 2011
    I am currently addicted to this game. I haven't looked forward to logging into an MMO for many years and SWTOR is rekindling the MMO fire in me again. There are some aspects of the game that I am kind of meh about, but I have the utmost confidence in Bioware.
  95. Dec 22, 2011
    Been playing since beta and I am in love with this game. It is a refreshing change-up after playing WOW for 5 years and EQ for 7 years before that. Sure - it has a few flaws and is lacking some content - does anyone remember wow or EQ when they were released? Bioware has done a fantastic job - I am hooked for now and as long as content continues to build and improve over the next 6Been playing since beta and I am in love with this game. It is a refreshing change-up after playing WOW for 5 years and EQ for 7 years before that. Sure - it has a few flaws and is lacking some content - does anyone remember wow or EQ when they were released? Bioware has done a fantastic job - I am hooked for now and as long as content continues to build and improve over the next 6 months, they will probably keep me entertained for a few more years/ Expand
  96. Dec 24, 2011
    For me, SWTOR is a great game. It's usless make any comparisson beteween this and other games. It's a great MMO and has some good improvements over later games (the quest system is the best I saw in an mmo) I'm a huge fan of Bioware games, just to the record. But still uses the same old formulas. For me, the most important is: It's a hell of a fun game! I play with some friends and I feelFor me, SWTOR is a great game. It's usless make any comparisson beteween this and other games. It's a great MMO and has some good improvements over later games (the quest system is the best I saw in an mmo) I'm a huge fan of Bioware games, just to the record. But still uses the same old formulas. For me, the most important is: It's a hell of a fun game! I play with some friends and I feel so much fun doing it. I laught so loud in some situations (Im a Sith Warrior) and the parts of the game wehre you need to play in group is very fun. I really don't care if it will be better than WoW or not, I give a sh... for WoW today, played it for 5 years and I'm feeling good in play something new. I'm still with my wow subscription and will pay a visit from time to time. Hail to SWTOR and I hope it live long and give me lots of fun in the years to come. Expand
  97. Dec 25, 2011
    Awesome game and I am not a big Star Wars fan. Leveling up in WoW is about as much fun as a root canal.. But SWTOR is surprisingly enjoyable. The graphics are incredible at hi res.
  98. Dec 22, 2011
    Best themepark mmorpg ever released. If you don't like the genre do no buy it, it's really that simple.

It's like complaining that fps is about shooting things.

It makes you look like a retard.
  99. Feb 17, 2012
    Coming from the point of view of a man who has played many MMO's (Dota, WoW, EVE, Star Trek Online...), this game comes off as vastly superior. Extremely well designed game play, amazing story line (Yes, an MMO with a well brought on story line!).The Old Republic has a Mass Effect / MMO feel to the story line/quests that has the gamer constantly wanting more. The conversation mode is wellComing from the point of view of a man who has played many MMO's (Dota, WoW, EVE, Star Trek Online...), this game comes off as vastly superior. Extremely well designed game play, amazing story line (Yes, an MMO with a well brought on story line!).The Old Republic has a Mass Effect / MMO feel to the story line/quests that has the gamer constantly wanting more. The conversation mode is well done and incorporates the party system of questing very nicely. The combat is similar to that of other MMOs, but there is not much wiggle room when it comes to combat and MMOs. The quests are your typical, kill x amount of enemies, or collect x amount of ______, but again, not a lot of wiggle room in a MMO. The game is moderately buggy, but com'on, it's a 2 month old MMO, give it some time. The Old Republic develops great, and accurate, Star Wars lore, further grasping the feel of "awesome". Deffiently a game worth trying. Expand
  100. Dec 20, 2011
    Very good game, launch was smooth for me, the game is very fluid. Content is very refreshing, deeply immersive caracter stories with the fully voiced and video conversation making it even more amazing.
    The ability to make other players in your group join you in your "story" and "class" quests is making the grouping part of the game really interesting. Flashpoints and warzones are very good as well.Some minor issues with being dc'd and some long queue times, but very decent for the first launch day!
    Actually one of the smoothest launch i've seen im my gamer life. Bravo to BW and EA who did an awesome job!

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.