5.8

1. Jan 10, 2012
    I am hitting myself for buying into the hype. I'm not a fan of StarWars, though I am a fan of MMORPG's and ScienceFiction/Fantasy so this seemed a safe buy. I was hesitant at first, but as soon as the majority of my friends bought it I knew I had to as well. What a mistake. Boring, repetitive, empty, sluggish and buggy. Not a BAD game, but not worthy of being called anything beyondI am hitting myself for buying into the hype. I'm not a fan of StarWars, though I am a fan of MMORPG's and ScienceFiction/Fantasy so this seemed a safe buy. I was hesitant at first, but as soon as the majority of my friends bought it I knew I had to as well. What a mistake. Boring, repetitive, empty, sluggish and buggy. Not a BAD game, but not worthy of being called anything beyond mediocre, if only because of it's good - not great - graphics (though by today's standards isn't saying much) and I must admit great voice acting. I tried REALLY hard to like this game, but to no avail. PvP is lackluster, with no skill involved, and instances are so simple it's pathetic. I have also heard from end game players that there is only ONE RAID, which is bugged to the max. I canceled my subscription already, and have a another week or so for the 30 free days but I won't be playing it again. If you like WoW like I do for it's polished, accessible, vast world and lore, I would suggest you avoid this bland in comparison copy with a StarWars skin. If you hate WoW then perhaps this is the game for you. Expand
  2. Jan 13, 2012
    This game is amazing! The game is extremely well put together.Star Wars the Old Republic is a good MMORPG experience focused on storytelling, plot and involving characters. Voice acting is very good for a MMO game. Gameplay is fun and story is great. Flashpoints are fun. I enjoy having companions as I did with the original Kotor series that swtor spun off from.
  3. Jan 13, 2012
    Most of the reviews are from bitter fans of games that are rapidly losing their subscriptions to this one. This is the most rich and story focused MMO ever made. Play the game, let it speak for itself. If you're looking for a meaningful experience, and not just another MMO grind, you won't be disappointed. And this is just the game at launch!
  4. Jan 31, 2012
    Before i post this i would like to say that i am a 6 years world of warcraft player i have also played Everquest Aion Rift and Guild Wars. And like you i was perplexed whether i should buy this game or not considering the negative reviews i was quite interested in whether i would just toss away 50bucks. However i bought it on account that i wanted to give it a shot and so far it hasBefore i post this i would like to say that i am a 6 years world of warcraft player i have also played Everquest Aion Rift and Guild Wars. And like you i was perplexed whether i should buy this game or not considering the negative reviews i was quite interested in whether i would just toss away 50bucks. However i bought it on account that i wanted to give it a shot and so far it has surpassed my expectations in everything. It is an amazing game the controls behind it are similar to wow so are other fundamental basics however the core and the whole development process couldn't be more apart. The game has good content for a game that has just launched with plenty of unique things to do. I enjoy the battlegrounds very much and the instances are also amazingly fun. The conversations and voiced acting with quests makes the story feel unique and interesting like you are really doing something to contribute to it. There are plenty of planets which despite what people say seem to be quite big to me and also if you add up all the space you have on planets compared to the terain you have on wow i am sure wow has less. At any rate i advice you to defenetly buy this game i am now level 25 out of 50 and i have enjoyed everything until now and i am looking forward to leveling it up. May the force be with you :) Expand
  5. Feb 1, 2012
    Such a polarizing game. Seems people either love it or hate it. Guess it all depends what sort of research you did on the game as it was going through development, where you set your expectations, and how it all panned out in the end.

Personally, I am having a blast. Bioware is doing what it does best: telling a story. Doing it's best to inject flavour and character in every interaction, every character, every choice. And most often, it succeeds. It's a bonus that I can bring my friends along for the ride, and interact with other like minded people. It uses a solid bedrock of tried and true MMO mechanics and uses this base to launch you into an immersion factor unparalleled by any other game in the genre.. if you let it.

I have delighted with friends going through flashpoints, and seeing the conflicting choices happen between light and dark side choices. I have laughed and cried and different situations and dialogue choices that have arisen through my own story experiences. Even though I have been mainly a Republic Lightside player, I have chosen dark side because I could NOT let the evil do'er live, he/she was so despicable. Heck, I have hated myself for being good, as well: during one particular mission, I was forced to choose between saving a character I had really grown to like, or save 300 other innocent lives. It was torture, and I loved it.

Everything else seems to offer you choices to let you take a break and breath from the story. PvP, Flashpoints, Space Combat, Crafting, all of it is good, none of it is exceptional, there is plenty of improvement needed.. and it will be done.

And the game isn't flawless, bug-wise, but Bioware is listening, things are being fixed, one just has to be patient.

If you are looking for story, if you are looking for an awesome game to play with or chatting to a few friends about your experiences, and if you've enjoyed past Bioware games, then this for you. If you are expecting something ground breaking in other ways, if you are looking for the next Major League Gaming competitive PvP game, if you power level without stopping to appreciate the moment.. then this game probably isn't for you.

Awesome game, 9/10 simply because nothing is ever perfect, there are improvements to be made.
  6. Feb 7, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've played in a long time. I am thoroughly enjoying the story for all most all the classes. Bioware has really brought story to the mmo experience and I personally won't play another mmo again where I have to read quest dialog off of the screen. I have never felt more connected to my characters like this before. Yeah, it has a few bugs, but they are inThis is one of the best games I've played in a long time. I am thoroughly enjoying the story for all most all the classes. Bioware has really brought story to the mmo experience and I personally won't play another mmo again where I have to read quest dialog off of the screen. I have never felt more connected to my characters like this before. Yeah, it has a few bugs, but they are in no way game breaking and the developers are addressing issues in a timely manner, IMO

And I have engaged in more group content in this game then any other mmo I've played. Now I am doing very similar group content like in most mmos but I'm also experiencing it during the level process, Bravo Bioware, Bravo!
  7. Feb 8, 2012
    Game is awesome. Anyone else is either trolling or NEVER played it. The Story is captivating. This game is just like Star wars: knights of the old republic, I found my self wishing I could save so I could see both options panning out.
  8. Feb 8, 2012
    Longtime MMO player, and SWTOR is the most fun I've had. Some issues with a lack of content at end game, but a reasonable player will understand this is something that will come with time. Great game.
  9. Feb 8, 2012
    Great story, great content that's ever growing. Sure there are bugs, but always being fixed. Voice actors were top notch. An MMO for the people who don't like people.
  10. Feb 11, 2012
    This game has all the issues of every MMO that has ever been released. There's bugs, balance issues and some features that are missing that people want. The one great thing about MMO's are that the game grows and matures and hopefully turns into something better then when it's first released. Unfortunately in this day and age people want instant gratification and don't have the patience toThis game has all the issues of every MMO that has ever been released. There's bugs, balance issues and some features that are missing that people want. The one great thing about MMO's are that the game grows and matures and hopefully turns into something better then when it's first released. Unfortunately in this day and age people want instant gratification and don't have the patience to allow a developer to make a game better. They expect everything to be the way they want it right this second.

1. The voice over work is as awesome as any Bioware product. 2. The class story lines are amazing (granted I've only seen half of the class story lines but the 4/8 have been great).
    3. I find the combat to be done well. I like it better than WoW.
    4. I love having my personal spaceship as a base of operations.
    5. I like the crafting system quite a bit to include the reverse engineering portion (eventhough that can be very frustrating at times).
    6. I think the appearance of the locations are great. Often I find myself stopping to look at the area and I'm quite taken aback.
    7. I think the companion system adds another layer to game because I find myself getting invested with my companions.

Some bad points are as follows:
    1. The customer service at launch was atrocious. I don't know how it is right now but I hear it's not much better.
    2. Reverse engineering being tied to the RNG can be extremely frustrating. They need to implement some kind of guaranteed % in the background. Currently it's possible to never learn a new recipe because of the RE process being random.
    3. The UI is crapola. You can't move anything around or change the scale. (Supposedly this is changing in the big content update in March)
    4. There's still quite a few skills that are broken within various AC's that have been broken since beta which make certain trees of AC's useless to play.
    5. The pvp on Ilum is still crappy. They have this massive open world for pvp and they shard the zone because of performance issues. There's really no point in going there to be honest. When you get there you get the sense that there should be a massive battle going on of 100+ vs. 100+ but you'll be lucky to find 8 people from the opposite faction.
    6. Faction imbalance is pretty bad as well which makes it another reason no one wants to open world pvp. The Empire outnumbers the Republic on most servers so the Repubs hardly come out to play in open world pvp because they will get steamrolled.

Those are the things that I think are hurting the game the most right now.

The reason I gave the game a 9 was because the game as it stands right now is an awesome game. If Bioware is diligent in addressing the communities concern then this game is going to be a big deal. Most people forget what WoW started out with when it launched. It might have had 25% of what it currently has. It just takes time for MMO's to come into their own.
  11. Feb 13, 2012
    Should only be an eight (making it better than many MMOs), but bumped it to ten to counter-act the horde of tards who go "hur hur hur, I canz make it lower than it should be, and that'll somehow make it true!"
  12. Feb 26, 2012
    Finally a good RPG with story and moral choices. I don't care it's MMO, i want a decent single player game with character i can roleplay and with companions i can talk to. This game has both. Star wars unvierse feels very real in this game. Dungeons are funny, because they contain dialogues and epic stories.
  13. Mar 14, 2012
    This game is amazing! The best MMO out there, period. If you love star wars you will love this game. I've had so much fun with the story, companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on... There is not much negative about this game.. I can't wait for future updates and expansion :) May the force be with you!
  14. Dec 13, 2012
    Star Wars the Old Republic, is the first MMORPG in a long time to hold my attention for more than a few months. The game's story is engrossing and fun. Yes, it takes many of its mechanics from World of Warcraft, but it's a worth game in its own right. The game gets a bad rap for not meeting every player's dreams for the game, but it is only a game. It can't fulfill every person'sStar Wars the Old Republic, is the first MMORPG in a long time to hold my attention for more than a few months. The game's story is engrossing and fun. Yes, it takes many of its mechanics from World of Warcraft, but it's a worth game in its own right. The game gets a bad rap for not meeting every player's dreams for the game, but it is only a game. It can't fulfill every person's needs. It's a good game and I recommend anyone try it, especially now that it is Free to play. Expand
  15. Mar 12, 2012
    IMO, I finally an mmo, that can satisfy. For an mmo in it's infancy, this game is extremely refined. I have been playing since launch, and I was very skeptical. I wasn't expecting this game to be so nicely involved with story, and great pvp. This game won't please everyone, and there are a lot of wow fanbois feeling the pain with their new happy pandas, and don't want to lose theirIMO, I finally an mmo, that can satisfy. For an mmo in it's infancy, this game is extremely refined. I have been playing since launch, and I was very skeptical. I wasn't expecting this game to be so nicely involved with story, and great pvp. This game won't please everyone, and there are a lot of wow fanbois feeling the pain with their new happy pandas, and don't want to lose their game. But if you want an mmo with some grit, and a game that entertains, this is a good one. At least try it and find out for yourself. Expand
  16. Mar 30, 2012
    I think a lot of reluctant WoW players are bashing this game. It's a great game. It has very good graphics, interesting story lines, tons of possibilities, the new legacy patch is a superb new idea, cool starfighter missions where you control a spacecraft turret... I can't think of everything atm because I'm sleepy, but this game is definitely a fun game, and there's plenty more coolI think a lot of reluctant WoW players are bashing this game. It's a great game. It has very good graphics, interesting story lines, tons of possibilities, the new legacy patch is a superb new idea, cool starfighter missions where you control a spacecraft turret... I can't think of everything atm because I'm sleepy, but this game is definitely a fun game, and there's plenty more cool content to come. Get a 7 day free trial from a friend, or land one of the free 4 day weekend passes on the website. If you like mmo's, you will most likely like The Old Republic. Expand
  17. Jan 13, 2012
    A brilliant revolution of the MMO genre. With its story it manages to captivate me where WoW made me fall asleep! Buy buy buy. Don't listen to all the WoW fanboys giving it a 0 without playing it.
  18. Feb 3, 2012
    I agree with Esiasch ( see review below ) the attitude of the zero or troll reviewers is mind-boggling. After reading Esiasch's entry i looked at user review for several games. I believe in freedom of speech and that everyone is entitled to their opinion. However even really good games that i enjoyed and are actually well-made game still have a percentage of zero or troll reviews SO IVEI agree with Esiasch ( see review below ) the attitude of the zero or troll reviewers is mind-boggling. After reading Esiasch's entry i looked at user review for several games. I believe in freedom of speech and that everyone is entitled to their opinion. However even really good games that i enjoyed and are actually well-made game still have a percentage of zero or troll reviews SO IVE ATTEMPTED TO RESPOND to these with my views on various complaints made about the game. SWTOR isn't perfect by any means but that doesn't mean it a bad or sub-standard game. I'll compare to the other available options first. Wow is a game i played for six months on a private SERVER mostly to get used to MMO system , PVE/PVP ETC. Up until this point i was an XBOX gamer and a kotor fan so i was expecting kotor 3 on the xbox. I enjoyed my time playing WOW BUT I WOULDN'T ACTUALLY pay a subscription for it ( check my previous review for a full explanation of WOW AND SWTOR ) . The other mmo's on the market that I would consider are LOTRO and Rift both seem similar to WOW but hold no interest for me. The next expansion of WOW is something i might go back to but that not coming to next year and it going to even longer on a private server. that leaves me with diablo 3 and guild wars 2, im sure they're good in their own way but it made me realise that SWTOR was the only MMO for me. So ive been playing SWTOR since release i have a lvl 50 bounty hunter and 3 other alts on the dark side. I'm going to the republic side once ive lvled my alts. I found the game enjoyable and entertaining but there several features that considered standard that are missing in the game. The two most notable omissions are a looking for group system for group quests and a guild bank. Both these are crucial for an MMO'S success as they aid the commuinty socialization and development. Some reviews have also suggested that they are going to wait until patch 1.2 because this is a live beta test. This is mostly true because honestly the game wasn't complete on launch. They only had a very small release window because of BF3, MW3 and SKYRIMM in november and mass effect 3 in march along with diablo 3 and guilds wars 2. So bioware had to release in december because the only other viable option would be summer 2012. The game had already been pushed back several times and it simply wasn't fair on the substantial SWTOR community that been waiting patiently for the games release. In addition Bioware alienated large sections of the market by not releasing in Asia or Australia and not developing the game for mac's. Mac users have pc emulation bootcamp and parallel so that solves that problem and SWTOR releases the game in Australia in march. It is also also true that there are graphical and performance issues even on high-end machines. I just don't go to the imperial fleet (The main dark side base ) in the daytime cos my framerate drops and it makes running about doing trading and training difficult. This also also affects the open pvp ilum as to many players affect framerates. Everywhere else is fine with glitches and bugs in the odd place but these dont really affect gameplay. There were numerous other bugs on release but most of these have been fixed. The linear aspect or lack of sandbox has also been criticized. Other mmo's have the appearance of go anywhere do anything but this is an illusion. Most mmo zones have a certain level and if you are gathering this narrows your scope so you usually end up going to the same places depending on your profession. If ur lvling as well this creates a lot of grind . The companion system of profession missions largely eliminates the grind leaving you to venture forth on the planets. The linear part actually helps here as your class quests suggests area's appropriate to your level with the option of additional heroic group quests. Most of the planets are huge and offer a reasonable amount of choice, for example i been to tattooine 3 times but i've only been to half of the zones. There is also the fact that the republic side have there own planets and area's on later planets and this is only at launch with more planets and zones to be added. Flashpoints are instanced heroic quests with more of a story element these are very enjoyable. I've been concentrating on lvling my alts and their professions so i haven't raided or done operations. These are still a bit buggy so i will wait until the next patch for that. PVP is fun and more balanced cos of 50 only war zones and space combat is a fun mini-game. Anyone buying this game knows they're getting a bioware product which has standard mmo framework with mass effect's UI and the SWTOR IP. So all these haters and trolls shouldn't complain cos it's more or less advertised as is and does what it says on the tin. It definitely offers 3 months of solid gameplay Expand
  19. Jan 10, 2012
    I just bought the game last week and I must say, it is very refreshing to find a good story line in conjunction with questing. Love the cut scenes. Made two characters and both had totally different story lines. I haven't experienced any PvP yet, but am looking forward to it as I get higher. Also, am looking forward to buy a space craft so I can visit other planets. I have been playingI just bought the game last week and I must say, it is very refreshing to find a good story line in conjunction with questing. Love the cut scenes. Made two characters and both had totally different story lines. I haven't experienced any PvP yet, but am looking forward to it as I get higher. Also, am looking forward to buy a space craft so I can visit other planets. I have been playing WoW since release and this game does not feel like it, at all. Sure, there are some bugs, but overall, I say it is a solid game to be experienced. Expand
  20. Feb 24, 2012
    Absolutely amazing game. Stunning visuals and graphics. Best story-line out of any MMO ever! The raids started out a little buggy but are constantly being fixed. New content comes out quickly. Extremely fun and well worth your time and money. 10/10
  21. Feb 9, 2012
    While it is not a revolution, it is an evolution. It takes the EverQuest formula (not the World of Warcraft formula, WoW is an EverQuest clone and TOR is as well) and polishes it to more of a shine. The plot lines are for the most part good (I have heard less positive things about the Smuggler, but I haven't played that class yet), the combat is more or less following the formula but theWhile it is not a revolution, it is an evolution. It takes the EverQuest formula (not the World of Warcraft formula, WoW is an EverQuest clone and TOR is as well) and polishes it to more of a shine. The plot lines are for the most part good (I have heard less positive things about the Smuggler, but I haven't played that class yet), the combat is more or less following the formula but the addition of lightsabers and blasters make for good visuals, the graphics while not completely demanding are done with good aesthetics, and the linearity is actually quite complementing to the game without making you feel confined (people will complain about it but you know how nerds are with change sometimes. Besides, some of our favorite games are linear, take just about every FPS in history), the PVP is fun, but the faction unbalance leads to a lot of games of Huttball which I actually love so its a win for me (people say it is unbalanced, but dogs wolf, cows moo and MMO players yell 'The PVP is unbalanced!'). In very brief, The Old Republic is a very fun game that is not the best MMOs have offered, considering WoW has gone a little donwhill with each expansion it is the best since The Burning Crusade. 8.7/10 Expand
  22. rps
    Jan 10, 2012
    Attention trolls, your orcs and trolls have had their heads cut off by a light saber, and jealousy is not healthy. This game is the new king of MMO's, and will be for the forseeable future. You can't beat the force, you can only join it.
  23. Jan 11, 2012
    Well lets see, SWTOR is in short...great! Bioware managed to make a game that is not so different that people will be scared off but at the same time they made it innovative and fresh. People are saying that there is no innovation, and I invite these people to find me another MMO with fully voice acting, individual stories for every class and the ability to change the direction of questWell lets see, SWTOR is in short...great! Bioware managed to make a game that is not so different that people will be scared off but at the same time they made it innovative and fresh. People are saying that there is no innovation, and I invite these people to find me another MMO with fully voice acting, individual stories for every class and the ability to change the direction of quest lines. The game looks a lot like WOW did in its earlier stages which may make people think twice, but don't Bioware is adding updates all the time to streamline, what is already a very smooth game. All that said this is NOT that WOW killer that people have been calling it, I say that because there has never even been a game that matched WOW so bringing down the giant will take many, many improvements. SWTOR will defiantly be the first to match WOW in size and this will make for great competition that will ultimately improve both games. This game is a very innovative addition to the MMO world and will probably start a new generation of story based, fully voiced games. Final note to haters, you are free to not like SWTOR but don't act out by giving it these awful reveiws when you know that it is not as bad as you make it out to be! Expand
  24. Jan 14, 2012
    The best MMORPG out there, end of. The PVP is great fun, especially Illum, couple that with Excellent story telling, great community, and engaging combat, its everything you could want and more from an MMO
  25. Jan 15, 2012
    This game is AMAZING! It is NOT a reskinned WoW like all of the trolls and WoW players would have you believe. It is an MMO, and a great one at that. While questing on planets, you're encouraged to group up with other players to complete certain 2-4 player heroic quests, where as in WoW if you group with others you have exp points slashed. The story is amazing, and for the first time everThis game is AMAZING! It is NOT a reskinned WoW like all of the trolls and WoW players would have you believe. It is an MMO, and a great one at that. While questing on planets, you're encouraged to group up with other players to complete certain 2-4 player heroic quests, where as in WoW if you group with others you have exp points slashed. The story is amazing, and for the first time ever I have felt the urge to roll different classes to experienc the full story. The theme of the game is more mature than that of other MMO's and the players themselves are more mature. PvP balancing is something that needs to be looked into, but that is something that can be fixed in a patch. I've encountered very few bugs, and have had no problems with performance playing this game. Overall I 'm rating this game a 10. By far the best launch and fewest problems I have ever experienced from an MMO. If you are a Star Wars fan, or a fan of Knights of the Old Republic, this game is for you! Expand
  26. Jan 18, 2012
    Disclaimer: this is less of a review then a "so, yeah, I'm a random person and I'd like to average out teh score.." Well, so it's out and plenty of people are fairly hot and bothered like a brood of teenagers...one thing, however, that I don't get is that people actually believed it was going to be ground-breaking. The "WoW" mechanics are here to stay for a very long time despite all yourDisclaimer: this is less of a review then a "so, yeah, I'm a random person and I'd like to average out teh score.." Well, so it's out and plenty of people are fairly hot and bothered like a brood of teenagers...one thing, however, that I don't get is that people actually believed it was going to be ground-breaking. The "WoW" mechanics are here to stay for a very long time despite all your precious hype about MMOs. I ignored the game until two days before it was released, and it was finally shoved into my head that OMG IT HAZ STORYTELLIN. And since then, I've played it solely in interest of what'll happen next...however, to tell the truth, I'd dump the game in a second without the cut scenes and the choices. Actually, I wouldn't have even gotten it in the first place...honestly, it's just a dull game without all the make-up. Probably a poorer one then most popular MMOs--graphics, though selectively pleasant (for whatever reason, they removed the freakin' high resolution textures), can easily be beaten by a four or so year old MMO...gameplay itself is just about a meh. Crafting, however, is promising--if only the in game economy wasn't in some sort of recession. >_>

So on, so forth--you've heard it before. SW:TOR is a MMO that's dismal at its core--it taps into a potentially awesome aspect of story-telling that nevertheless is superficial and leaves you with that hollow sort of feeling of dissatisfaction...the majority of interesting characters (Praven, damn you!) you meet are most likely shipped off to the dumps after helping them (whilst writing you a letter), and then there's ideas that are introduced but never elaborated upon (remember the true Republic?)....beyond that, you'd think that morality would be a theme more explored, but as it is a "accessible" mass-market sell out, profoundness is massively disencouraged. With the instancing festering severely in this game (even if you could blow up a world only two or so NPCs would care), the game suffers immensely from that sense of isolation and brokenness...nothing seems to matter ten minutes after the point--not even a cute note from the person you helped can remedy it.

So, yes, the story-telling aspect basely sucks. Yet, you may ask why the hell I gave it a 10. To hopelessly try to balance out the user score, yes, but SW:TOR gives such a honest effort to make a story-driven MMO that I just can't bring myself to treat it cruelly. I'll be dumping it when I reach level 50, though I honestly will say that I genuinely enjoyed it.
  27. Feb 4, 2012
    This is a huge step foward in the MMO universe. Granted it kind of leaves out the group idea for the main quests but it makes up for it in its long flashpoints. As many ppl have stated; the pvp is unbalenced, that has been fixed now a lvl 10 can kill a lvl 40 as their stats are equal. Some planets are laggy simply because of horrible glitches but Bioware are trying to fix it and keep inThis is a huge step foward in the MMO universe. Granted it kind of leaves out the group idea for the main quests but it makes up for it in its long flashpoints. As many ppl have stated; the pvp is unbalenced, that has been fixed now a lvl 10 can kill a lvl 40 as their stats are equal. Some planets are laggy simply because of horrible glitches but Bioware are trying to fix it and keep in mind ppl an MMO can improve on every lvl if u give it the chance Expand
  28. Feb 6, 2012
    SWTOR puts the RPG back in MMORPG. To start, this MMO has had such a smooth start up compared to others out there who have tried and failed and are now F2P (Free to Play). I will compare it to WoW for a second, because I know everyone is, in saying that the sense of community is not as strong as in WoW. However, unlike WoW, you don't ever really feel like you're "grinding" for levelsSWTOR puts the RPG back in MMORPG. To start, this MMO has had such a smooth start up compared to others out there who have tried and failed and are now F2P (Free to Play). I will compare it to WoW for a second, because I know everyone is, in saying that the sense of community is not as strong as in WoW. However, unlike WoW, you don't ever really feel like you're "grinding" for levels because the story has players so immersed. I think the level of immersion is actually part of the cause for why there isn't such a strong community feeling. This isn't to say that people don't communicate or help each other out, it's more in the "feeling" of community. Everyone is pretty friendly, but you do get the occasional troll. PvP needs to be fixed; the only division between levels for warzones is that level 50s can't queue with those level 49 and below...but a level 10 is still going to have to face level 49s. That's a problem. Companions are an awesome addition which make going out to complete missions a little easier. Deciding which companion to summon can really change the strategy involved when soloing a rare spawn elite you come across. You can "court" your companion, as long as they're a courtable apecies and you're the opposite sex. That adds just a little more to the RPG feel. If you really like immersing stories which are guided by your decisions sort of like Skyrim, but are on the MMO scale, then this game is for you. Plus, if you decide to become dark side, you can really be a pr*ck to everyone you meet. Light and dark sides aren't restricted to faction; you can be a dark side Jedi and a light side Sith if you want. Expand
  29. Mar 11, 2012
    BioWare has succeeded again at making an amazing RPG. Not only does this game offer diverse and in-depth story-lines to all 8 of there characters, but it allows a smooth and enjoyable co-op system between friends and guild members. The instanced phase is very fun even when with friends and allows decision-making like in all BioWare games, forcing you to make strong and compelling choices.BioWare has succeeded again at making an amazing RPG. Not only does this game offer diverse and in-depth story-lines to all 8 of there characters, but it allows a smooth and enjoyable co-op system between friends and guild members. The instanced phase is very fun even when with friends and allows decision-making like in all BioWare games, forcing you to make strong and compelling choices. By far, the best MMORPG I have ever played. The combat is beautiful and smooth, and the graphics are by far the best in the MMORPG genre, in my opinion. It is not flashy and unnecessary, it is smooth and beautiful. All-in-all, if you are looking into a star wars game, an mmo, and RPG, a futuristic game, a co-op game.. Etc! This game succeeds in all categories! Expand
  30. Mar 11, 2012
    The next king of the MMO! Before I play this game, I was determined to never play a game with a monthly subscription . My friend give me a 7 days trial period and i've played 12 hours each day of the week.. This MMO takes the best of WoW with new feature and beautiful environment to make a game almost perfect! The game have a lot of dialogue and quests! I recommend it !
  31. Apr 6, 2012
    There are people coming to this game from WoW, and there's people coming to this game as BIOWARE fans. To the Wow people: this game is awesome, there's no looking back. To the BIOWARE fans: expect a true Bioware experience, just be prepared to spend a lot more time than usual to get to the meat of the story, and who knows, you might make some friends along the way.
  32. Apr 6, 2012
    It does nothing new, but it also does nothing wrong. Like most new triple A MMOs this is a hodgepodge of all the best MMO features but with the added benefits of being based in the wildly popular Star Wars universe and having a truly compelling story thanks to bioware and full voice acting. This is the first MMO ive ever played where I paid attention to the plot and understood what wasIt does nothing new, but it also does nothing wrong. Like most new triple A MMOs this is a hodgepodge of all the best MMO features but with the added benefits of being based in the wildly popular Star Wars universe and having a truly compelling story thanks to bioware and full voice acting. This is the first MMO ive ever played where I paid attention to the plot and understood what was going on, i usually skip all the texts and just rush to max level, but with swtor i find myself taking my time and listening to every word spoken. The games combat system is the standard MMO formula but with Auto-attack removed and smooth animations for all your abilities making fights visually beautiful and very intense. The crafting system is a joy to level up, you dont actually have to do ANY gathering or crafting to max out your crafting profession, that is all handled by your crew of companions, and not only is it mindlessly simple to level up but you get items that are genuinely useful ( you WILL use the items you make, and NOT just max level items like WOW). For example my Synthweaver (Makes Force user armor) has provided about 70% of the armor for myself and a friend i am leveling with, i can honestly say ive never used a single item from crafting in wow other than engineering bombs and trinkets. This game is great to play with friends but its totally playable start to finish solo, the game provides you with several companions throughout the game that range from Tanks to healers and even Ranged or melee dps so even healers can efficiently level up, In fact this is the first games that healers have an upper hand when leveling, With my healer im able to solo around 2 or 3 elites of equal level at a time with my tank companion, while my DPS (/w healer comp) can only take one at a time (two with CC). It should also be noted almost every class has a spec for tanking and/or healing as well as a DPS spec. I could go on and on about all the small details that have made me fall in love but i feel im already rambling on so ill end it here. Expand
  33. Apr 20, 2012
    If you want a MMORPG with all of the epicness of offline adventures, then this is your game. Create your character and live a unique story full of choices and see your character completely dubbed. A master piece and far better than any online game in the market in terms of narrative and story.
  34. Jun 1, 2012
    I'll keep this short. Bioware did a great job, yet not perfect. The whole point of an mmorpg is to build on the game as people play it. Do I think after a slew of new updates this can be perfect? Yes.

There are some great storylines, but than a lot of bad ones. They need to expand on the bad or consolidate them down. A big problem, beside hackers, for mmorpgs is that of size. Some fans

A big problem, beside hackers, for mmorpgs is that of size. Some fans want things to be endless (lots of stories, etc.), others like myself want quality over quantity. I believe only small things can be great, and that trying to make things collosally good is almost impossible, though it's not, Bioware has a lot of work ahead to pull off such a rare feet.

I'm excited for the future.
  35. Oct 14, 2013
    Truly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part ofTruly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part of the genre) missions. Further, players are rewarded for interacting with other players and for exploration. Any problems are minor. The only true frustration is how difficult the optional datacrons can be to obtain. In earnest, this is the best MMO I've ever attempted. Expand
  36. Jan 14, 2012
    Star war the old republich is much better than WoW for now, I can say that cazu I have play WoW 7 years, and there is nothing new in WoW just endless raid and quite easy, but SWTOR has push the MMO in a new direction. WoW is a good MMO ever, but it does not means no one can do better than WoW. So do not fight with myself if you can not accept SWTOR.
  37. Feb 2, 2012
    In spite of the fact that I belong to the Homo Misanthropus sub-species, I am generally not a fan of MMORPGS. Some anti-social people find it easier to open up online but I find that it is easier to deal with a lonely, anxious, introverted person face to face than a similar person whose online anonymity has gifted him with zero inhibition, inevitably leading to the unveiling of 15 yearsIn spite of the fact that I belong to the Homo Misanthropus sub-species, I am generally not a fan of MMORPGS. Some anti-social people find it easier to open up online but I find that it is easier to deal with a lonely, anxious, introverted person face to face than a similar person whose online anonymity has gifted him with zero inhibition, inevitably leading to the unveiling of 15 years worth of ridicule and sexual frustration blossoming into a perfect **** storm of **** For instance, in my case, the act of speaking with another human being is brought to a frenzied but rigorously polite dance of anxious madness due to the fact that I am shy and unable to break the colloquial barriers that plague my kind. This leaves little reason for me to vent my frustrations on others as the origin of the fault is obviously my own. As for "the others", the fault is only obviously their own to everyone else. To them, the problem is external --the world is out to get them and they create a hierarchy of self wherein their misery must become a communal one. For these homuculi of the conscious self, the only thing keeping them from being a douche in person is the recognition of the inevitable possibility that the person with whom they are speaking may be pushed into a causal chain that ends in their [the douche] being crippled. Since about a quarter of the people I have ever interacted with in online RPG's fall under the latter classicication, I avoid them like the plague as they leave me pondering things like: "why are they here" as opposed to the more productive "why am I here".

As such, I absolutely LOVE THIS GAME!!! I finally get to have one of my beloved Bioware single player RPG'S share some of the only qualities of online RPG's that I find desirable such as ever expanding content, appropriate vastness of environment, and the occasional option to share the experience with friends (well of course I have friends...what? did you think I was an **** or something?). I adored the first two games in this series (especially the 2nd but only with the extra content. Otherwise the ending feels like a breezy summer morning stiffy followed by a close encounter with the Lorena Bobbitt kind) and the writing here rivals almost anything I came across in either of those games. The plot may be linear, but let's face it, every other Bioware narrative is just as linear but they put more effort into masking the fact with the clever illusion of openness. In conclusion I will say only this: if you find that you can relate to any of what has been said, you should probably buy this game...but don't try to add me to your group or anything. The evolutionary needs of this primate are accounted for.
  38. Mar 2, 2012
    Some of the negative reviews are quite frankly outright lies. Most likely fanboys of That Other Game. Anyways, this is the MMO we gamers have been waiting for. The graphics are quite good, far better than WoW without hindering performance. The voice acting is top notch, so I actually stop to listen to the quest, unlike other games where I ignore the wall of text and just click "accept".Some of the negative reviews are quite frankly outright lies. Most likely fanboys of That Other Game. Anyways, this is the MMO we gamers have been waiting for. The graphics are quite good, far better than WoW without hindering performance. The voice acting is top notch, so I actually stop to listen to the quest, unlike other games where I ignore the wall of text and just click "accept". Story is the key, bread and butter, whatever you want to call it for SWTOR. Every class as a storyline consisting of a prologue and 3 chapters, starting at level 1 and ending at 50. Each planet has a main storyline with many having a Bonus Series for when you gain higher levels. These Bonus Series are not rehashing existing areas or quests, but takes you to new areas on the planet you visited at a previous time. Once you get your ship, you have optional Space Missions (with dailies) you can do if you want a change of pace from questing. The companions are more than just "pets" as they can fill various roles and each have their own personalities (with quest lines). Example of this is we lost our healer to a disconnect during a flashpoint, but we used a healer companion and finished the flashpoint (instance). Boss fights are more than just "don't stand in the fire, Tank n Spank". One flashpoint actually doesn't have bosses (cept 1 at the end). The game is rich in lore for those that played Knights of the Old Republic, but for those that didn't you still can enjoy all the lore regardless. Explorer types can be rewarded by finding datacrons scattered on every planet, each granting a permanent bonus. Whenever you find a key location, datacron or kill a new beast for the 1st time you unlock a codex entry granting you xp and a lore entry.

PvP'ers will be happy with the warzones as they offer experience, credits and bonus depending on how you perform. Do better in PvP you get more rewards at the end of the match. Plus PvP items can be acquired as early as 20 and can be vendored if you no longer want them. No more outgrown items gathering dust in your banks! A lot of the gear is customazable, so that the days of wearing some ugly item just because of the stats are gone. As you level up just put in higher modifications and the armor/damage of the items scales up. Yes this also includes lightsaber and blaster bolt colors as well.

Crafting does not require you stand in front of a table making X bracers for an hour to skill up. Simply send out companions on crew skill tasks to gather mats or craft for you while you continue... whatever you want to continue. You can gather in the field if you run across mats, but it's a nice option that if you are missing a specific mat, you can simply send a crewman out and (after a time delay) you get your mats.

A fantastic game that you must play to believe. One of the rare times that a game has actually lived up to the hype.
  39. Mar 8, 2012
    SWTOR has gone above and beyond with their game. the people that are detractors are foolish in their attempt to destroy something that far surpasses all other MMOS on the market currently.
  40. pid
    Apr 12, 2012
    For those who liked questing in WOW and like the franchise and lore, this may be your game. It has nothing to do with SWG, but that said, it's much like the classic BioWare titles in multiplayer.
  41. Apr 17, 2012
    I like MMO's and I've always been a big fan of Bioware games, so the combination of both worlds suits me just fine. I am certainly one of those players who wants to play all the 8 stories in the game and maybe some variations (dark/lightside) on them. I don't care much for endgame raids, but I do care for groupplay, since I always play with my rl partner. By now after 4 months playing, weI like MMO's and I've always been a big fan of Bioware games, so the combination of both worlds suits me just fine. I am certainly one of those players who wants to play all the 8 stories in the game and maybe some variations (dark/lightside) on them. I don't care much for endgame raids, but I do care for groupplay, since I always play with my rl partner. By now after 4 months playing, we still eagerly log in every day to continue our stories. Patch 1.2 also brought quite a lot new features like legacy. I love the familytree, it's maybe fluff to some people, but for a roleplayer this is a really nice addition. I think Bioware is doing a great job with the updates and patches. They solved so many bugs already and in 4 months they also gave us a lot of new features and content. Oh..and I love the surprise event they gave us this week. No one knew about it, but suddenly a rakghoul plague started in Tatooine. I think this is the best way I've seen an event worked out in any MMO I have played until now. Bioware real spends attention to details (not only in this event but overall). Expand
  42. Feb 23, 2014
    Bottom line(at the top): This is a solid and polished MMO with a good amount of content.

PROS: Fully voiced npc's and quests. The volume and quality of content is high Great atmosphere High population/good support/decent lfg Instanced PvP including space ship battles Very little grinding/fast leveling if you subscribe You can play the game like a single player game

PROS:

Fully voiced npc's and quests.

The volume and quality of content is high

Great atmosphere

High population/good support/decent lfg

Instanced PvP including space ship battles

Very little grinding/fast leveling if you subscribe

You can play the game like a single player game if you want. This is KOTOR 3.

6 distinct storylines

Highly replayable as a different character class/alignment/faction

CONS:
    In your face if you don't spend money

Slower leveling if you don't sub

If you don't like Star Wars, the setting will appeal less to you.

If you don't like MMOs, this is still an MMO

Non-cutting edge graphics(the game still looks pretty darn good)

You start playing another MMO and wonder why you aren't playing SWTOR.
  43. May 29, 2014
    There is an enormous amount of content in this game and gameplay is always fun. They did a really well job. There are negative views about this game as the E3 trailer was spectacular and people believed that this game would be something beyond the current generation of games.
  44. May 15, 2012
    SWTOR simply came a few years too late. TOR is an excellent game that missed out on the golden age of MMOs. Leveling process was never tedious and PVP warzones offer a viable alternative to traditional grinding. I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but the voice acting, graphics, storyline are stellar. In a time where money grabs(Diablo III, Mass Effect III) dominate the game industry, SWTOR isSWTOR simply came a few years too late. TOR is an excellent game that missed out on the golden age of MMOs. Leveling process was never tedious and PVP warzones offer a viable alternative to traditional grinding. I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but the voice acting, graphics, storyline are stellar. In a time where money grabs(Diablo III, Mass Effect III) dominate the game industry, SWTOR is an excellent gaming value. Not perfect, but it's likely we'll never see another game of such extreme quality. I give SWTOR a 9.2, and round it up to a 10. Expand
  45. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is just fu**** amazing pal, i'm seriously brotha. This game is perfect i play this when i get sick from the WoW. And man i gotta say in my opnion this game is so epic and perfect can i even describe the feel to play as a Sith and a Bounty Hunter, for example. Made your choices betwen Dark Side/Light Side, Companion approves or desagrement. Flirt, Kill, Torture, PvP, Warzones,This game is just fu**** amazing pal, i'm seriously brotha. This game is perfect i play this when i get sick from the WoW. And man i gotta say in my opnion this game is so epic and perfect can i even describe the feel to play as a Sith and a Bounty Hunter, for example. Made your choices betwen Dark Side/Light Side, Companion approves or desagrement. Flirt, Kill, Torture, PvP, Warzones, Duels, A really nice AI, an amazing balancing, Missions u praticaly just can finish with a group, Social and interactive dialogues from cutscenes with another players. I mean, man this game is epic and perfect, that's it. Expand
  46. May 9, 2012
    I have played many MMOs before this one. Not many have been able to hold my attention long enough to reach level cap and even to end game material. However this game has Kept me coming back for more every time I log off. Not only did i reach the level cap (almost too fast compared to other MMOs) But i created ALTs and had just as much fun with their unique story line. The BiowareI have played many MMOs before this one. Not many have been able to hold my attention long enough to reach level cap and even to end game material. However this game has Kept me coming back for more every time I log off. Not only did i reach the level cap (almost too fast compared to other MMOs) But i created ALTs and had just as much fun with their unique story line. The Bioware conversations are unprecedented and ever quest makes me feel like im actually making a difference in the Star Wars universe. Many People say that the end game doesn't have much contenet and PVP is unbalanced. Im not much of a PVPer but keep in mind this game is still very new. WOW had even more problems than SWTOR has when it first came out and some say it still does. The thing about a game this large trying to target so many audiences is not everyone will like it. I for one love this game and all it offers in the Endgame material. I know it has a lot of room to improve on and Bioware will never rest untill the game is perfect. So SWTOR is one of the Best games i have ever played. And i encourage anyone who is on the fence to just try it. If you don't like it don't pay for it. Expand
  47. May 16, 2012
    ABOUT Criminal illegal slander: I have recently looked at multiple User/Customer Reviews from multiple websites and it is obvious there are people that LIE in reviews/ratings in order to influence sales of a game. My recommendation is trust NO User/Customer Ratings/Reviews (good or bad) and use only Reputable Critics that have a long standing in the gaming industry. Yes, they could be paidABOUT Criminal illegal slander: I have recently looked at multiple User/Customer Reviews from multiple websites and it is obvious there are people that LIE in reviews/ratings in order to influence sales of a game. My recommendation is trust NO User/Customer Ratings/Reviews (good or bad) and use only Reputable Critics that have a long standing in the gaming industry. Yes, they could be paid to lie too, but they have better accountability and can be more easily prosecuted if they lie. >SWTOR was made to be different than other MMORPGs by making story-line one of the highlights of the game. Voice acting goes a very long way in making a person feel a story is real, or cheesy. For me, one who likes a good story, the voice acting is top notch in SWTOR compared to other games and made me feel a part of the Star Wars world. >YOU feel more apart of the Star Wars world due to the story, but the story is not etched in stone. The story is based on choices you make in conversations you have with a multitude of characters you encounter. This allows you to become the character you envision and gives a stronger connection to that character's story. >COMPANIONS in SWTOR actually can help you complete quests by fighting by your side to help kill the enemies! They also allow for different story lines to emerge for your character. You form a relationship (which can be friendly or mean, romantic or hated) with your companion too, thus adding more attachment to the world you are in. You can order your companions to do work for you (create items or find materials/items on their own small missions) when you are doing other quests without them. Each character type has their own set of 5 unique companions. >OTHER games in the genre that I have played have given me a lot of fun, but over time they started getting away from an adult atmosphere and consistently increasing content that was goofy, cutesy, off the wall, catering to younger gamers, and specific cultural groups. However, SWTOR does not give me any of that immature and out of place feel. Even though the Star Wars franchise has a multitude of young fans, this game plays on a young adult to adult level story line and the people I usually run across are mature adults. >WHEN you create a character you choose which server you want to play on. The list of servers you choose from tell you a general population of players on that server. There are a lot of servers and the population will read either Light, Standard, or Heavy. CHOOSE a HEAVY server! I highly recommend Heavy (or at least Standard) because even if you like to be a loner, being on a Heavy server will not bother you once you learn how to ignore people through the settings options; and loners may find out that they actually like the multi-player aspect, which then being on a heavy server would be important since you currently cannot transfer characters to other servers. >I HAVE 9 characters, with my highest level character being level 40 (current max. is level 50). I will be playing at least a few more months before all my characters are maxed out on level and then will be able to experience more of the high end content (or lack of that I have read about). The game has already made major additions to the game since I have been playing, recently adding the legacy feature which is for higher level characters. As with all MMORPGs, updates and expansions are happening on a regular basis with new fun content added regularly. So, meanwhile I am enjoying the game and feel the money I have spent has been more than worthwhile. My recommendation is to try all the 8 different classes and enjoy each of their unique story lines to get the most out of the game. >GRAPHICS are not top notch. I love great visual productions in games, t.v., and movies, and SWTOR does not go to extremes to get the most high end visual effects possible in the current video game market. I found this is common in MMORPGs and it may be because of the high amount of people playing the game online. However, the content and story lines of the game totally make up for my love of peak performance graphics. Graphics on SWTOR I would rate about 3.5 stars out of 5 stars. >IF you really want to know all the features the game has, go to the SWTOR website to see all the features the game offers. >IN CONCLUSION, this game was in development for years before its release (Dec/2011) and it shows. The depth in all areas is well thought out and well done. The Star Wars franchise is huge and they have used their many resources to create a game that is very much polished and high quality. This game stands apart from other MMORPGs because of the emphasis on story which allows a gamer to feel a stronger connection to their character, the Star Wars universe, and the game itself. Regardless of negative points and/or reviews, this game IS a High Quality game due to the depth of the game and the emphasis of story that has been well developed. Expand
  48. May 15, 2012
    Best MMO on the market today. Not without it's flaws, like all games, but the leveling experience is great, PvP is a blast, space combat is fun and a nice change of pace and the class stories are exactly what you'd expect from BioWare. I expect to be playing this for many years to come.
  49. May 24, 2012
    Great game don't listen to others. Tons of fun and considering its only been on six months its on a great track. 1.3 looking very promising this would be the best time to join the game!
  50. Dec 11, 2012
    THiS GAME IS AWESOME BECAUSE ITS NOT THAT **** ASS **** OF A GAME GUILD WARS 2!!!! THE OLD REPUBLIC IS DA BESTZZ GAMETS VERZ!!! EVERY OTHER MMO SUCKS BECAUSE ITS NOT THE OLD REPUBLIC
  51. Feb 8, 2013
    This game is Fun, Massive, and addicting once you get into your story. I'm not enjoying the free to play restrictions that they have since I used to be a paid subscriber. I'm still rating this as a 10 because of all the fun I had during that time, and the quality is wonderful like actually being part of the star wars galexy. Also Their are no quest boxes which is annoying and never readThis game is Fun, Massive, and addicting once you get into your story. I'm not enjoying the free to play restrictions that they have since I used to be a paid subscriber. I'm still rating this as a 10 because of all the fun I had during that time, and the quality is wonderful like actually being part of the star wars galexy. Also Their are no quest boxes which is annoying and never read they actually communicate with you with your own response and decision to make a good or bad choices which makes this game a must get now that its free. Expand
  52. Mar 9, 2013
    Although in terms of gameplay mechanics The Old Republic closely resembles World of Warcraft, it's not just another MMO. It's a full-blooded RPG that makes your character important from the start and tells stories that are worth following. It also allows you to enjoy them alone if you're not keen on that whole multiplayer thing.The addition of free-to-play has further broadened it's appeal!
  53. Oct 27, 2013
    I have played various of MMO games and to be honest this game just blew my mind. It offers 8 different character stories were you get to pick decisions very like the original games instead your character actually has a voice. The combat is still fun even if it's on the same engine as star trek online (which is also good). I guess people don't like this game because of Reven being in theI have played various of MMO games and to be honest this game just blew my mind. It offers 8 different character stories were you get to pick decisions very like the original games instead your character actually has a voice. The combat is still fun even if it's on the same engine as star trek online (which is also good). I guess people don't like this game because of Reven being in the game or they think that it's another wanna be world of Warcraft which in my opinion became a pile of crap. In all the game is enjoyable for any star wars fan especially those who played the original knights of the old republic games. Expand
  54. Feb 27, 2014
    I have only ever had a great time playing this game which is set in my favorite era, the dialog was great to have because i could define my own character and i wouldn't have to be an evil Sith, i could be a good Sith or neutral.
    Favorite story for me was both the Jedi Knight and Sith inquisitor. The Jedi Knights story was so good because it was a large scale threat you were dealing with which made every step more intense plus the companions for the Jedi Knight are so good, like Kira and Doc (tied 1st on my favorite companions list) because they were so well scripted. The Sith Inquisitors story i found was bad from level 1-15 because it was you just running small tasks, but at the end when yo met the ghost and he beat the hell out of you (not as bad as you think) it then starts to get interesting, but after chapter 1 when you start to bind with ghosts it to interesting not to play.
    The only bad things i found in the game where some of the stories, like the bounty hunters, the dialog isn't that bad but the story all together just seemed a bit rushed (and in my option the Bounty hunter and smuggler should of had a faction of there own due to the fact that they are a neutral party) the only other story that i find the most boring is the Jedi Consular, it's so boring (i'm doing a fallen Jedi Consular and i'm dragging myself along because it feels that bland)

Revan is the god of Star wars
  55. Dec 16, 2013
    One of the best MMO's around the graphics are awesome and the interaction within the NPC's just destroys the competition. The Heroics, War Zones both ground and space and new Flashpoints make this game too much fun not to mention all the monthly activities the game has. But DO NOT do free 2 play I REPEAT DO NOT be a Free 2 play player. The game is crazy limited for "F2P" players but beingOne of the best MMO's around the graphics are awesome and the interaction within the NPC's just destroys the competition. The Heroics, War Zones both ground and space and new Flashpoints make this game too much fun not to mention all the monthly activities the game has. But DO NOT do free 2 play I REPEAT DO NOT be a Free 2 play player. The game is crazy limited for "F2P" players but being a subscriber it's a whole different game. As a subscriber since launch there is just no other way to play and enjoy this awesome experience. Expand
  56. Feb 6, 2014
    This game somehow passed me by and only just got into it. There's a huge amount to do and progression so far feels natural, no feeling of grinding away at all. The newly added space battles are also great.

This is a great MMO and a worthy follow-up to KOTOR 1 & 2
  57. Jul 7, 2014
    I heard about this game several years ago, but I didn't try it since 2014. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the game is a huge mass of gigabytes, around 25, but I cannot blame BioWare. It took me around a day to have the entirely one. And, the gameplay is nice, polished let's say, but the basic combat is a bit poor. At least the skills contribute to the gameplay. I like the plot,I heard about this game several years ago, but I didn't try it since 2014. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the game is a huge mass of gigabytes, around 25, but I cannot blame BioWare. It took me around a day to have the entirely one. And, the gameplay is nice, polished let's say, but the basic combat is a bit poor. At least the skills contribute to the gameplay. I like the plot, very much and the companions; this is great all in all. I played until level 17, because the game caused me lots of crashes on computer and I saw this is an internal problem that, I hope they will fix it within the new EP, Galactic Strongholds. The world is polished, very nice and I like there is a lot of content and worlds to go to. Well, the items are expressive and I like they have style. I don't know what to say more, but I bet; even this is the first MMO of BioWare/EA, they did a great job and I disagree the negative impresses of other players. I know there are several imperfections, but I am sure there is no another one like this. Congrats BioWare, I am waiting for the new update! Expand
  58. Mar 11, 2014
    its a lot better than it used to be it has a lot more content there's more flashpoints and operations plus the story is grand . i recamend playing it now
  59. May 13, 2014
    I am only reviewing this from the subscription experience, I do not recommend this MMO as a free to play game but it's an excellent subscription MMORPG. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 months and I love it and I'm still playing it on a regular basis, there is so much depth to Star Wars: The Old Republic, what completely sold me on this game is the quests and story and I'm a really bigI am only reviewing this from the subscription experience, I do not recommend this MMO as a free to play game but it's an excellent subscription MMORPG. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 months and I love it and I'm still playing it on a regular basis, there is so much depth to Star Wars: The Old Republic, what completely sold me on this game is the quests and story and I'm a really big Star Wars fan, so your choices affect whats going to happen next you can be good or bad but each choice may very likely come with consequences and affect the players story. The music is wonderful and stays true to Star Wars, the graphics are a little bit cartoonish but Bioware has said so it doesn't look dated in 4 years and I'd say it's aged really well so far. The choices for PVP has grown lately Bioware is constantly updating SWTOR with more PVP, story, and expansions.

I've been playing MMORPGs for 14 years and I've never playing anything like SWTOR that really got me into the game and addicted and not often enough can a game do that, SWTOR is simply fun I actually have fun and a good time while playing this, it doesn't feel grindy and I always can't wait to get to the next quest, I mostly like SWTOR because of the role playing. So don't judge this game by the free to play experience if your willing to shell out some cash for the subscription it's worth it, subscribers get more experience and that alone is worth it.

I highly recommend Star Wars: The Old Republic.
  60. Jul 17, 2014
    Second best Star Wars gaming franchise made! All story lines are AWESOME! some take a while to get into them but others straight into them and never lose interest!!!!
  61. Feb 5, 2014
    Story, characters, companions. This game is amazing because it brings Bioware tradition of deep stories into the mmorg market. It does revolutionary stuff and feels as a great addition to the Kotor saga. It's a must play, at least for the 8 class storylines (adding there the companion stories) and the 2 faction story lines [which all this now are free, so there you have it ;) ]
  62. Jul 15, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the two Knights of the Old Republic games for which this game is a loose sequel. I have to admit I was worried that the Old Republic wouldn't live up to the achievement of the original games. Though TOR isn't as groundbreaking as its predecessors, it is still a damn good game. The sheer size of the game gives you the freedom to go anywhere you would want to as a Star WarsI'm a big fan of the two Knights of the Old Republic games for which this game is a loose sequel. I have to admit I was worried that the Old Republic wouldn't live up to the achievement of the original games. Though TOR isn't as groundbreaking as its predecessors, it is still a damn good game. The sheer size of the game gives you the freedom to go anywhere you would want to as a Star Wars fan, and the missions that accompany this universe are actually quite addictive rather than repetitive. The combat is still pretty good, and it far outranks the button mashing fps games of today's world. The plots have an epic feel to them, however, much like the companions, they lack the personal feel that was present in the KOTOR games. Besides that point though, I have to say that Bioware have still got it, and TOR is an impressive and inventive game. However, I believe it would have fared better as just an RPG, rather than an MMORPG, as it would have allowed more room for the personal points of KOTOR to be integrated into it. Expand
  63. May 1, 2012
    MMOs are constantly evolving. SWTOR is a perfect example of where the F2P model has led the industry. This game is perfect for a casual gamer, however for those gamers who like to rush to the max rank in a few weeks, forgoing story and crafting in a race to max out, this game is not for you. This game benefits from rich story telling and a new innovative system that makes having an AltMMOs are constantly evolving. SWTOR is a perfect example of where the F2P model has led the industry. This game is perfect for a casual gamer, however for those gamers who like to rush to the max rank in a few weeks, forgoing story and crafting in a race to max out, this game is not for you. This game benefits from rich story telling and a new innovative system that makes having an Alt a wonderful thing. As someone who has played every MMO that has released since the original Everquest, I can tell you the learning curve small, the immersion level is great, and unless your only goal is to max as fast as possible, you will enjoy this game. On the plus side, the original development team is still working on this game and the staff has not been reduced, which has produced constant updates with LARGE AMOUNTS of content, unlike some games which would make you pay for DLC or an Expansion. Expand
  64. May 31, 2012
    This is definitely my favorite computer game by far. The story classes i 've played so far have been very enthralling and fun; and I couldn't ask for a better combat system in an mmo. Oh and if you have a computer that can handle The Old Republic on the highest setting then I strongly recommend doing so.
  65. Dec 16, 2013
    I love this game so much. Let me say first, I played WoW for a bit when it came out, but never really got into it. So I'm pretty much a total MMORPG newbie. But 2 weeks ago I gave The Old Republic finally a try, and ever since then I'm having a hard time explaining to my girlfriend why all she hears from my side of the room are *woosh* *woosh* sounds (that's supposed to be a lightsaber sound
  66. Aug 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, this game takes many mechanics and game styles from WoW. But this game does some things differently that make it a truly great modern MMO. I have reached max level and played through multiple characters stories, and this alone is a reason to come back to the game. They have also included some great starting Warzones, and Ops that provide a decent amount of Endgame content, although they could definitely improve in this aspect. With the recent addition of Rated Warzones it has put in even more replay value that will keep me subscribed for months to come. With the addition of a new Dynamic event later this month, and 1.4 which will provide a new Warzone, 10 new Space Missions, and a new Op... I think Bioware has finally realized that they need to release content more often to keep a strong player base and they will be doing just that in the months to come. If you are looking for KOTOR 3, I guess you could give this a go. It does feature story elements from the past KOTOR games and *SPOILER* You will come across Revan *SPOILER*. That being said, this is an MMO and it is not specifically tailored to be a story driven game, although when compared to other MMO's this certainly has the best story out of any that I have played. The Dialogues and cutscenes make it feel as if you make a difference in your story and it allows for so many possibilities later on in your story line. But the one thing that this game has perfected... is the crafting system! You get companions as you level which allow you to send them out on missions collecting mats, and once they have collected the mats, they can be sent to craft your items. This means that you can be crafting while in a Flashpoint or Warzone rather than having to sit at your trainer using the Anvil to craft new gear. You can have a total of 6 companions and can send 5 out at a time at lvl 50 which allows for some serious crafting and profit!! Overall I think that all MMO players need to give this game a shot. Yes in the first few months it was slow with patches and content releases, but Bioware has kicked it into gear and are finally responding to the community!

Overall this game has great story elements and well balanced class PvP. They could use a few more Warzones and Ops and they definitely need a better World PvP system. Other than that I have no complaints and will stay subbed for a loooong time!

Hope to see you in Game!!!
  67. Aug 24, 2012
    I have played all major western MMOs since Asheron's Call (even had my hand on Meridian and UO before that). And SWTOR is one great game.... or so it was, until you got to the endgame.
    The endgame was too lacking, too easy (when not bugging) and a bit too many bugs.
    Now some of the bugs are gone, but still the game lacks endgame. The Game is GREAT when it comes to smooth and great

Now some of the bugs are gone, but still the game lacks endgame.

The Game is GREAT when it comes to smooth and great storylines for all except 2 of the classes. The last two classes had decent one IMHO.

If you're looking for a game to start up with, and like Star Wars, now that most of the bugs are gone, its a great game to play.
  68. Jan 8, 2013
    I haven't reached the level cap yet, but so far this game IS living up to the hype. I actually find myself listening to the person/droid giving me a quest, (or mission if you want to be pedantic about it). The cut scenes are welcomed and the story line for the two types of characters I'm playing are entertaining. The very small gripes I have about the game are minuscule compared to theI haven't reached the level cap yet, but so far this game IS living up to the hype. I actually find myself listening to the person/droid giving me a quest, (or mission if you want to be pedantic about it). The cut scenes are welcomed and the story line for the two types of characters I'm playing are entertaining. The very small gripes I have about the game are minuscule compared to the overall value of the now "free to play", experience. I'll admit that some of the character models are a wonky and somewhat cartoonish, but that sensation is easily forgotten as one becomes further immersed in the story line and game play. I would also like to see Bioware/EA open up the source for add-ons, but this is far from a deal breaker. If you have the hard drive space and the patience for the very large download, it is well worth your time and energy. Expand
  69. Sep 22, 2014
    An excellent MMO-RPG experience with tons of things to see and do. Star Wars: The Old Republic is the best MMO-RPG I have ever played It has everything a good Star Wars game and MMO-RPG should have.
    Great level design, simple yet fun combat, a great story, nice colorful graphics, solid sound design, and excellent voice acting. Simply the best MMO-RPG out there don't listen to anyone who says this game is bad.
  70. May 8, 2013
    As a BioWare fan I just had to try this game. I played a bit with subscription and I liked it a lot. I gave it a 10 because I it does not deserve such a low user score. Its more like a 8.5 game.
    Many people dont like that its a WoW clone with a singleplayer compo ent but that is exactly what attracted me to it.
    Most MMO lack purpose and after you leveled your character to the level cap
    Most MMO lack purpose and after you leveled your character to the level cap your only option is to go PvP-ing which i hate and will never understand.
    After you create a character you are thrown at the start of your character next adventure. I say next because most classes seem expirianced when you start and you don't feel like a kid thrown in the world with a wooden stick. You can see that your character did something before the events of the story and this is only another adventure on the way. That is specially noticable with trooper, smuggle and agent classes.
    There is also legacy which lets you connect your characters in a family tree as relatives, allies, spouses or rivals. You can unlock various perks for all of your characters that way.

It recently went free to play and I can say that I was a little bit disappointed with the amoint of restrictions but that disappointment was gone when I discovered that on The Cartel Market you can buy whatever you liked without spending money on something you dont want or consider unimportant. The prices are affordable too. For 20 dollars I bought 3 packs that unlock various things including speeder training, rocket boots for my entire legacy, various armor sets or pieces etc.

I really think this deserved better user score since most of the reviewers give 0 score because they disliked only one thing in the game.
  71. Jul 31, 2013
    Good game for 1-50 lvl. Story, voicing and characters are good and fun.
    About end-content I play many MMO and it's all the same: some dungeons to clear, some PvP gear, some something... So I don't bother about it, just clear the story and move to another game.
    After all the Good PvP can be only in high-PvP oriented games. And most of them are pay-to-win..
  72. Oct 24, 2013
    I've been playing this game since launch. It's pretty much Star wars WoW. I like it. and love SW. It has a great storyline and the graphics a good too. Only reason it doesn't get a 10 from me is you pay to play. They have a free to play option now though.If your a fan of MMO's and Star wars... Get this..
  73. Mar 22, 2014
    Lovely game.I had a great experience playingLovely game.I had a great experience playing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  74. Dec 11, 2013
    Excellent MMO game. Enjoyable endgame, the new Space Combat is very fun, and the storylines are very well written.. Character customization could admittedly be better, and the restrictions for Free-to-Play members can be rough. But, if you enjoy Star Wars, endgame Raiding, space combat, or games with a story, you won't regret spending time with SWTOR.
  75. Apr 7, 2014
    Overall its fairly obvious that this is a good MMO game. Yes, there are some minor tweaks needed, but overall I would give this an 9. If you are not a star wars type this still may be a good game for you.
  76. Aug 3, 2014
    I've been trying to find a new MMO to play after deciding to leave Star Trek Online. I tried a few other F2Ps and have landed on SWTOR and am not looking back. I'm sorry I hadn't found this game sooner. I remember all the hype surrounding the game when it came out and all the negativity.
    I remember back then not wanting to try it because you could only play as a humanoid character and not a wookie, ewok, droid etc. and got turned off by all the stuff I was hearing.
    I still do wish that you could play as some of the iconic non-humanoids from the movies but the quality of the game and the fun I'm having cannot be stated enough. The story is top notch and voice over is so well done. The cut scenes are great and I look forward to the story as it unfolds.
    The game runs very smoothly on my old laptop which was also a pleasant suprise. After playing a few days and getting my character to level 10 I decided to sub for a month. People (leechers and FotM F2Pers) complain about the free to play restrictions but I actually think they're very fair considering the quality of the game and the story it provides. Better than any MMO I've played so far. I was happy to pay the $15.00 to help keep the game going.
  77. Dec 29, 2012
    I have about 40 hours into this game and so far, I would say it's a 10. I dk the reason so many people disliked it, other than all I can say is that I have been an avid PC gamer my whole life, but shied away from MMOs, except Anarchy Online which I never could really get into. They just weren't my thing. However, this combination of story driven/MMO really bridged the gap for me. I canI have about 40 hours into this game and so far, I would say it's a 10. I dk the reason so many people disliked it, other than all I can say is that I have been an avid PC gamer my whole life, but shied away from MMOs, except Anarchy Online which I never could really get into. They just weren't my thing. However, this combination of story driven/MMO really bridged the gap for me. I can play alone or with others at any time, it's great. The graphics are retro but clean crisp, the stories are really fun, and the Star Wars atmospheres are just amazing, both in creativity and in breadth (politically as well as environmentally). And it's free, so if you're not sure, try it out. If you like it, try buying a few Cartel Coins to get a couple of unlocks and you will become a Preferred Player which is better anyway and not that expensive. Expand
  78. Oct 9, 2014
    Best, I love it, Star Wars forever with lot of people.
    I don't agree with the haters. This is a very good game with epic and beautiful story.
  79. Jul 24, 2012
    Brilliant sharp graphics, great end game dungeons + Star Wars universe. Since the 1.3 patch, the group finder and server merges have been a revelation, all of sudden thousands of people playing and groups are found in under a minute.

The only disappointment is the lack of PvP open world encounters during normal questing.

Needs wookies :P
  80. Dec 17, 2012
    Where do i start with SWTOR ? to start with i wont lie this game upon release was very very buggy. There is also no doubt in my mind at least that it seems like the developers released this game way too early to meet a unrealistic marketing schedule. But after playing this game for a while now and seeing the game overcome the initial bugs and unbalanced issues i will say the game is now aWhere do i start with SWTOR ? to start with i wont lie this game upon release was very very buggy. There is also no doubt in my mind at least that it seems like the developers released this game way too early to meet a unrealistic marketing schedule. But after playing this game for a while now and seeing the game overcome the initial bugs and unbalanced issues i will say the game is now a lot more highly polished and worthy of most gamers time. If you are a star wars fan this game is now a no brainer, the cost of the game is low and is either free to play of a very low monthly sub to enjoy a game with a few more shinies than the free to play players. I can honestly say ive wasted a lot more money on games not half as good as this game so give it a whirl. If you are a new player you are coming to the game at just the right time. Expand
  81. Jul 2, 2013
    Routinely underrated, one of the best F2P games, and one of the best Subscription Games on the market today. Awesome story telling, amazing presentation and a game that will grab you. Any score under 7 should be ignored. This one is a 9.5 game.
  82. Aug 25, 2013
    Game is awesome for people interested in an actual story where you have actual interaction with NPCs instead of just blankly accepting quests without even reading. One of the best MMORPG I've played.
  83. Jun 11, 2012
    This game is the biggest MMO of all time. You gotta admit that. We've waited such a long time and thank to god they made a brilliant game. They're making updates-versions to keep game fresh every time. So what are you waiting for ? :D
  84. Nov 25, 2012
    It's WoW with Jedi's. Does that sound like something you'll enjoy? For me it is. I had my doubts about this game from the beginning, but the more I play it the more I like it. Also, F2P is a nice feature. Sure they nickel and dime you for little things but you actually do it a lot for a little money. (Better than Everquest 2, Lotro and many others.)
  85. Jun 18, 2012
    Probably one of the most well-constructed sailing vessels I've ever had the pleasure of riding. The foundation is sturdy, the attendants are nice, and I feel safe in knowing that I'm riding "The unsinkable ship"!

I hope that Bioware can continue to manufacture more fanfictions soon.

86. Jul 11, 2012
    SW: TOR is a very formidable adventure MMORPG, with a lot of polish and a great sense of atmosphere. If you enjoy games like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, or Rift, and you love Star Wars.
  87. Jul 30, 2012
    Awesome Game with many options for a different story line depending on player's choices. If you love Star Wars you'll love this game. May the force be with you!!!!!
  88. Nov 25, 2012
    This is a great game. I've been playing since the beginning and I'm still a subscriber. This game is for people who like to play games like World of Warcraft or Everquest 2 and are also fans of Star Wars or like the general theme of Star Wars. Most of the bad reviews come from either "Knights of the Old Republic" or "Star Wars Galaxies" fans. I understand perfectly why they don't like "TheThis is a great game. I've been playing since the beginning and I'm still a subscriber. This game is for people who like to play games like World of Warcraft or Everquest 2 and are also fans of Star Wars or like the general theme of Star Wars. Most of the bad reviews come from either "Knights of the Old Republic" or "Star Wars Galaxies" fans. I understand perfectly why they don't like "The Old Republic", it's not the same game as either of those two games. So my question is, why are they reviewing this game? I don't enjoy Star Wars movies. They don't interest me. Because of that, I don't think I have a valid opinion and don't review Star Wars movies. The bad reviews of this game come from people telling how it's not like KOTOR or SWG. Which was never the point. It's an MMORPG that takes place in the same timeline as KOTOR. And if they think remaking SWG was the way to go, they're wrong. SWG never saw anywhere near 1000000 subs and barely sold 1000000 copies. The Old Republic had a rough start, but sold 2 million copies in the first couple months. They started off with way too many servers, which alienated users. There was no good system to find people to group up for flash points. You couldn't edit the UI. They've fixed a lot of those problems. There are less servers and they are packed. They now have a random flashpoint/operation/group quest queue system. The UI can be completely customized, although there is no addons/mods for it. This game is a lot like WoW, as far as game play. The way the stories in the game are told are completely different. I think SWToR does a much better job. The story is probably SWToR's best feature. It makes leveling up not such a grind. One thing that bothers me is both fleets republic/sith look exactly the same. I don't care if the lore states they had the same contractors, that's just plain cheap. In most cases I would recommend reading a negative reviews to get a better picture of how a game is. This is not the case with this game. The people who give this game a bad review either want a completely different game or have never played an MMORPG. Expand
  89. Sep 28, 2012
    This game is amazing, as a Star Wars fan i am very pleased, i don t get what people are complaining about, i think people are just so sad they have to bash on things. This game is pretty much like WoW in the Star Wars universe with voiced dialogue and better graphics like most people say. How is this a bad thing??? Wow has been the leading MMO for nearly a decade and its not like a lot ofThis game is amazing, as a Star Wars fan i am very pleased, i don t get what people are complaining about, i think people are just so sad they have to bash on things. This game is pretty much like WoW in the Star Wars universe with voiced dialogue and better graphics like most people say. How is this a bad thing??? Wow has been the leading MMO for nearly a decade and its not like a lot of other mmo out there are innovating much beyond this model. There are some bugs here and there but hey, which mmo hasn't? I deeply enjoy this game and hope it will fair better on the business point because i want it around for a long time. Screw the haters and their miserable lives.... Expand
  90. Sep 29, 2012
    Ok, I'll say it - I'm a former WoW player, and I was skeptical about trying this game, because I've been sucked into the hype of other would-be "WoW-Killers" like Warhammer and Aeon that ended up being profound disappointments - but my WoW friends talked me into it. You can imagine my shock when I ended up LOVING this game moreso than WoW (shocking, as I'd been convinced that WoW was theOk, I'll say it - I'm a former WoW player, and I was skeptical about trying this game, because I've been sucked into the hype of other would-be "WoW-Killers" like Warhammer and Aeon that ended up being profound disappointments - but my WoW friends talked me into it. You can imagine my shock when I ended up LOVING this game moreso than WoW (shocking, as I'd been convinced that WoW was the best game I'd ever played). Part of me is mystified as to why SWTOR failed as an MMO, because it contains so many revolutionary ideas - I love the crafting system, I love the fact that my character can actually have conversations with quest givers and I love the individual story lines of each class - and hey, I'm a female player so I LOVED the fact you could romance your companions. The only reason I stopped playing is because all of my friends left and went back to WoW, which pissed me off because I loved (and still love) SWTOR. It was my first BioWare game and ended up being the gateway drug that led me to try Dragon Age: Origins (Best. Game. EVER) and the Mass Effect trillogy (fantastic - if you ignore the ending of ME3). If you like Bioware games (the ones that were good ;)) this game hearkens back to the greatness that was once Bioware, and if you're not an MMO player, this game has a single-player feel that deserves to be played through (and it's apparently going F2P soon). I admit, there are essential features that were missing from SWTOR that led to its loss of subscribers - there was no Looking for Group feature, the end-game wasn't fully developed and (sadly) once your class story line was complete, that was it - nothing else. As well, one thing Blizzard has on Bioware is the fact that they create their games with both a PC and Mac platform (because, for all their faults, Blizzard can obviously see that Apple is on its way to taking over the world - LOL - and that the more people you make the game available to, the higher your subscriber base will be). I almost didn't get the game because I have a Mac (but ended up getting SWTOR and Windows 7 for Christmas), and I believe that Bioware was short-sighted in this decision and missed out on a lot of subscribers because they only released it on a PC platform. On the good side, the writing and stories of the classes I played (Imperial Agent, Inquisitor and Consular) were fantastic. The quests were engaging, humorous and well-written - and hey, there was sex and relationships in the game as well, which gave it an adult feel (not a panda in sight - or a Jar Jar Binks). I loved how I could make my character either dark side or light side, and was fascinated by the added lore to the Star Wars universe, as well as the several call-backs to KOTOR. I was a little disappointed in the battlegrounds (Huttball...oh, Huttball...why did I always get f'ing HUTTBALL?!) though the strength of this game lies in the rich class stories and the quests. I also loved the space battles, though it would have been cool if they'd included PvP space battles on release (and the features they promised us that came too late, like Legacy and same-sex options for romanceable companions). Honestly, and I might get down-voted for this because we're all pretty pissed at BiowarEA for ME3 and DA2, but I truly believe that SWTOR is better than WoW as a game, though perhaps it wasn't as successful as an MMO because it felt like a single player game WITHIN an MMO, which I believe tore away at the fabric that makes an MMO successful - the social aspect of the game, something Blizzard has down to a science. Because of your companions, you didn't particularly NEED another person to quest with, though it was still fun to quest with my friends. I was pretty angry when my friends all left SWTOR to go back to WoW (the population was tanking and it got harder for them to find groups, though in SWTOR, I didn't really care about doing dungeons/flashpoints because the questing and story aspect of the game was so engaging). I ended up going back with them until MoP came along. It made me sad that SWTOR isn't doing well, because I truly believe this is a high-quality game, and I will play it again once it goes F2P. I almost want to go back and pay a monthly fee, because it's worth it, really it is, but after ME3 I don't want to give Bioware any more of my money. I highly recommend this game, and believe it's lack of success lies in Bioware releasing the game before it was done (adding features like Legacy points long after people had already left) and their lack of flexibility when it comes to releasing the game on a Mac platform. What they did release was fantastic and I will play it again, but the features that keep MMO players around were missing, and BioWare wasn't savvy enough to release the game when it had the features needed to retain a subscriber base. Expand
  91. Nov 26, 2012
    Forget all the people who are saying that they played it for 3 months during which they hated it.

You dont play a game for months unless it's addictive, fun and well thought out.

Just try it yourself, (spend 5 bucks to become 'premium') and enjoy the ride.
  92. Dec 19, 2012
    The voice acting is marvelous and like nothing ever done in MMOs before, It's the type of thing that's bound to influence the genre (and it has). Great game! I think at its current state it has soooo much potential but it's up to EA/Bioware to make it happen. It's a very game as is and I think it can get way better. Truly one of the better MMOs in recent times.
  93. Jan 11, 2013
    Although the game did start off slow and many people left, after the key issues were addressed, this is probably the best MMO that I have played. So many different things to do and so much customization. This is truly a great game.
  94. Jan 31, 2013
    I had my good experienced in this game. I usually dont MMO but firstly when i saw SWTOR promo in year 2010, it was like 'Awesome' i will play this game... and i dont have any regrets because its an amazing game.
  95. Feb 9, 2013
    Beh Star Wars The Old Republic veramente un bel gioco. Ma può anche essere bruttissimo, se lo si gioca in stile WoW o normale MMO... bisogna ascoltare, bisogna saper seguire la storia, straordinaria anche nelle quest secondarie. Bisogna intuire tutto l'immenso lavoro che BioWare ha fatto. Non un gioco perfetto anzi, ha tante pecche... ma siamo già alla versione 1.7, esiste conBeh Star Wars The Old Republic veramente un bel gioco. Ma può anche essere bruttissimo, se lo si gioca in stile WoW o normale MMO... bisogna ascoltare, bisogna saper seguire la storia, straordinaria anche nelle quest secondarie. Bisogna intuire tutto l'immenso lavoro che BioWare ha fatto. Non un gioco perfetto anzi, ha tante pecche... ma siamo già alla versione 1.7, esiste con possibilità Free to play e per di più esce già un'espansione (Rise of The Hutt cartell) questa primavera. Non ci vuole uno psicologo sociale per capire che chi dà giudizi negativi lo fa perchè attaccato ad altri giochi, ed ha paura che la fama di swtor possa in qualche modo intaccarli (impossibile, cmq, perchè swtor ha un pubblico molto più limitato del mondo fantasy, ed un bene così): 865 voti negativi (i fan di altri giochi) 1000 e passa i positivi (i fan di swtor) e solo 230 quelli medi (che lo hanno provato, e onestamente dicono la loro opinione). Da provare. Poi può non piacere, ma assolutamente un bel gioco, fatto da persone capaci a cui bisogna rendere onore! Expand
  96. Feb 13, 2013
    A high quality MMO with an immersive storyline. The companions is revolutionary and each class having its own unique story is really darn cool!! The end game has me a little bored which is why this did not het a 9 or 10, but the journey there is absolutely incredible. Whether you are a Star Wars fan or not, this is a great game.
  97. Apr 15, 2013
    I think Star Wars: The Old Republic is a great game. I am big fan of Star Wars universe so I started playing this game as soon as I could, despite all hate that I read on forums. One year passed and I am still subscriber. I can say that this is my type of MMO. TOR has great story, nice community and SW atmosphere. Everything I wanted from a single game.
  98. Apr 23, 2013
    VERY good game. even if you don't like Star Wars, you should still try this game. Many fun things to do, great storyline, large and vast maps, and immersive gameplay and role playing scenes. I highly recomend this game to all!
  99. May 11, 2013
    I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying playing through SWTOR with a friend at the moment. Having not really played an MMO before own GW2 but didn't enjoy it) this has certainly made me see that MMO's are well worth the time if they are any good. I believe that to get the most out of this game you will want to play through it with a friend. I also must agree with a fellow reviewer whoI have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying playing through SWTOR with a friend at the moment. Having not really played an MMO before own GW2 but didn't enjoy it) this has certainly made me see that MMO's are well worth the time if they are any good. I believe that to get the most out of this game you will want to play through it with a friend. I also must agree with a fellow reviewer who mentioned that a lot of the low score reviewers will not have played much of the game, I agree with this because MMO's in general, you usually have to get to higher levels to get the most fun out of them. Once you get to level 10 the game becomes a blast. Would recommend this game to MMO fan, Star Wars fan or anybody who just wants to feel badass. Expand
  100. Nov 12, 2013
    Fantastic mmo with great story, customization, worlds to explore and constantly adding free content in addition to free expansions. While some can mock it's free to play policies, you can play mas effect style quality story for 8 separate classes with all unique characters and stories that are deep...for free. The gameplay is great, it looks great, and it's a blast to play.

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.