5.9

1. Dec 21, 2011
    I played WoW for 6 years. I've played a lot of MMOs in between as well (AoC, Aion, Rift, STO, etc...). This is the first MMO I have played since WoW that I am actually excited to go home and play. Everyone is entitled to their opinion... but really??!! Of the absolute crap that is out there you guys rate this game less than average (a 5)?!?! I think this game will change MMOs much likeI played WoW for 6 years. I've played a lot of MMOs in between as well (AoC, Aion, Rift, STO, etc...). This is the first MMO I have played since WoW that I am actually excited to go home and play. Everyone is entitled to their opinion... but really??!! Of the absolute crap that is out there you guys rate this game less than average (a 5)?!?! I think this game will change MMOs much like WoW did.

If you liked WoW but want something a little different with heavy emphasis on story this game is it. Companions are great, group dialog is cool (need more of it), solo story is great. Needs better character creation/options, fully fleshed out space combat/quests, and no queues. The real test will be if BW can continue to dole out content that keeps the end game going for PVE players (same with any other MMO, I don't PVP so I don't know what the state of that is).
  2. Dec 21, 2011
    I have beta tested this game, and others. Been a fan of the Star Wars genre since the mid 80's. This game captures the essence of the franchise and gives each class a different and unique story with brilliant voice acting. The looks for everyone are unique as levels progress and they can choose different outfits/armors that really fit their particular 'flavor' more without sacrificing theI have beta tested this game, and others. Been a fan of the Star Wars genre since the mid 80's. This game captures the essence of the franchise and gives each class a different and unique story with brilliant voice acting. The looks for everyone are unique as levels progress and they can choose different outfits/armors that really fit their particular 'flavor' more without sacrificing the protection and buffs. My only complaint is the rail-driven space combat, but if you liked the Star Fox games, you'll like this. the actual MMO is compelling. Ignore the ranting of everyone saying it's a WoW-clone, yes you use a keyboard and mouse to move and there are quests, but every MMO has the characteristics they say is WoW-only, and they were there before that game. My recommendation... give the game a try, join us with the Dark Side. We have cookies. Expand
  3. Dec 21, 2011
    Incredibly fun with engaging story that drives you to play additional characters, the game also include mechanics that make it actually enjoyable to play as a casual player rather than someone who plays several hours a day on a rigid schedule. Playing in groups is a great dynamic, and the social options for conversations make the groups even more engaging. There is a distinct lack ofIncredibly fun with engaging story that drives you to play additional characters, the game also include mechanics that make it actually enjoyable to play as a casual player rather than someone who plays several hours a day on a rigid schedule. Playing in groups is a great dynamic, and the social options for conversations make the groups even more engaging. There is a distinct lack of sandboxing, but considering that before the NGE the chief complaint among SWG players was the lack of content, it takes a conscious effort to not understand why BioWare chose to go the complete opposite direction. This game is ALL content. Storylines and conversations are fun and the voice acting is fantastic.

As someone who never enjoyed WOW or EVE or AOC, this game has me completely addicted.
  4. Dec 21, 2011
    TOR = Kotor 3 Multiplayer Edition and it's wonderful for it. It has the usual trappings of MMOs, crafting, PvP instances, entire battle grounds, etc.
    It does not deviate far from the distilled western MMO formula. But what it does is make this formula extremely enjoyable to play.

The voice acted cut scenes replacing the standard paragraphs of npc quest dialogue, and Mass Effect style conversations serve to not only break up the flow of the game, giving the player a brief break before jumping back into the action, it serves to make you truly attached to your character. There are decisions to make, and no matter the angle of your character, some will be very hard.
    It's not just good/bad choices, it's getting the job done but with different consequences.

Playing a Bounty Hunter to lvl 26 so far, I love my character. Every fight I feel like a complete bada**. I don't have a cycle of skills I used in the same order every fight, rather it feels like I have a tool kit that I can choose from based on the situation and what I feel like doing. Nothing compares to running up and rocket punching a giant boss in the nose and then bombing the hell out of his buddies.

TOR isn't for everyone. If you're looking to speed through to the end of the game, this may not be for you. What it is, is an extremely enjoyable journey through the Star Wars universe that can be shared with your friends.
  5. Dec 22, 2011
    This game deserve a solid 9/10 despite all haters. If you enjoy WoW and Mass Effect, this is the perfect game for you. Of course this isn't a revolution in the gender, but this is the best improvement for the mmo market since WoW. A never ending KotoR game = win.
  6. Dec 20, 2011
    Probably my favorite MMO (not a knee-jerk reaction I played the beta for months) and I've played quite a few from DAoC to WoW. At this point I my ideal game has an intriguing story and SWTOR easily delivers. You're essentially getting 8 good-great single player games in one. I look at this as my middle-class mans mass effect that never ends.
    The common legitimate complaints generally
    The common legitimate complaints generally stem from sandbox players and they're completely valid, if you're not a fan of a more linear style of game or class constraints this may not be for you. However if you enjoy an excellent story (for an MMO) and highly polished game play you may be able to overlook the fact that you can't make a jedi with blasters who has to run fly 3 days in real time to reach the second planet. The graphics are fine (people who say they are comparable to wow are blind or playing on a toaster) and have been improved upon quite a bit from the early beta builds (they're definitely not great or revolutionary, but I'd say they are "good"). The game is focused on its many storyline which are, for the most part, quite good. At this point in time, technology limits the amount choices in a game can affect the world, it's simply not practical for bioware to allow choices to noticeably change the galaxy. I can actually think of a few instances of sparing a person and have him actually turn up later in the game, I'd say that's fairly impressive. Overall I'd say the game sits in the 9-10 range. Metacritic should really do some pruning on these reviews it's pretty obvious when 90% of the negative comments are made from accounts with 1 post who proceeded to thumbs up every negative comment and thumbs down the positives. I mean there's no way a post that says "Bioware sold their soul to the EA devil... **** GAME!!!" is in anyway helpful the reader. I don't mean to say that all negative reviews should be discounted, there are legitimate complaints to be maid and ultimately SWTOR may not be your style of game. Still the polished game play and story make this a must buy.
  7. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is great. The combat system is fun and the story driven game play is entertaining. This game is what I have been waiting for.

Great job Bioware.
  8. Dec 20, 2011
    I am 22 lvl and didn`t skip any quests at all, I have to do them becouse voice acting, world design, combat animation, story telling made this expieriens much more interestning. There is bugs here and there, but after all I will think twice before buying a copy of GW2. Think I became a Star Wars fan. Haters are gonna hate.
  9. Dec 20, 2011
    Played for the last 7 days, currently level 35. loving it so far, combat is fun, the story is awesome, loving the voiceovers. There is a lot of group content which i love, i have done 5 different dungeons so far, which is pretty good for a level 30. So far so good!
  10. Dec 20, 2011
    After the turd that was Dragon Age II I was worried, but with this fantastic game Bioware has won me back. Server queues are a problem for now, but otherwise I don't think I've ever played a game with such engrossing storytelling. For once, I actually give a damn about my character - they're not just some avatar that I stick things on. Praise also needs to be given for being one of theAfter the turd that was Dragon Age II I was worried, but with this fantastic game Bioware has won me back. Server queues are a problem for now, but otherwise I don't think I've ever played a game with such engrossing storytelling. For once, I actually give a damn about my character - they're not just some avatar that I stick things on. Praise also needs to be given for being one of the first RPGs to actually bother with a proper evil storyline, instead of just making evil acts all those that are "not good". The game has a lot of stock MMO elements but these are generally well-done. The UI is imperfect, and needs improvement. Expand
  11. Dec 21, 2011
    While the game does include some minor issues expected of any MMO during its infancy, many of those expected are minor or completely absent. The story, from what I have seen, is excellently written, the sound is very well done, and the graphics (while an issue of some debate) are beautiful. The game can run even on lower end machines (I run an AMD dual core 3Ghz with 4Gb RAM and SapphireWhile the game does include some minor issues expected of any MMO during its infancy, many of those expected are minor or completely absent. The story, from what I have seen, is excellently written, the sound is very well done, and the graphics (while an issue of some debate) are beautiful. The game can run even on lower end machines (I run an AMD dual core 3Ghz with 4Gb RAM and Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 512Mb low profile) And even on my settings if shadows are turned off, I can run the game on high settings. While the game is very similar to many MMOs with features like hotbars, quests, instanced dungeons and PvP, and also has a way of making these features feel new and fresh. The voice overs making the quests feel meaning full rather than yet another pointless slaughter of some creature. NPCs feel more alive than other MMO's as they have a personality and story, and PvP matches, while currently limited, have interesting twists like "Huttball" with an announcer that makes comments about the match. The character customization is somewhat lacking compared to some newer MMO's but is superior to its major competitor, World of Warcraft. Unless you are absolutely set on having very immense customization options to alter every last freckle on your characters face, this should not bother you. Phasing is heavily used, but in my personal opinion, it is used well. Unlike World of Warcraft that require lockstep questing in order to maintain phase with friends, The Old Republic will have multiple identical instances of a zone to prevent excessive overcrowding (although sometimes quest areas are still busy) Your characters story quests are also instanced so that you are not waiting in line for ever other character of your class to complete it. The Old Republic seems to have found a good balance between maintaining a high population, area crowding, and quest completion ability by players. Flashpoints (or dungeons) are very entertaining with entire stories that can play out in multiple ways depending on how the group chooses to go about it. Whenever there is a conversation each party member gets to chose a response and whoever wins the roll says their choice. Some of these lead to different outcomes but your choice is the only one that affects dark or light side points. So you do not have to worry about being the only guy with a heart who doesnt want to flush innocent people into space and losing alignment for it.

Items are highly customizable stat wise allowing you to level your items up with modifications. So you can use the same armor for a long time if its high quality by adding new modifications to it. The weapon customization also affects the color of your blaster bolts or lightsaber blade. If you use a yellow color crystal your bolts or blade is also yellow, and there are various colors to chose from. All in all this is an extremely well done MMO that many will love. The one thing that may turn some people away is the fact that the journey to endgame is designed to be just as fun and important as endgame so you are really cheating yourself if you rush past it. If you want to hit endgame ASAP and could care less about story and the RPG aspects then this may not be your game. If you want to play and MMORPG that actually is an RPG and not a shadow of that title, or are interested in the Star Wars Universe, you will be very pleased with this.
  12. Dec 20, 2011
    This is one of the best MMO out there. Yes it does need work but people are comparing this to wow. This is not wow. This is bioware... They have awesome cutscene. and game play is unbelievable detail. I've been both in beta and now enjoying the finished product. I see a lot of people rating this game low... Aka most are wow players or elistest. Starwars the old republic and otherThis is one of the best MMO out there. Yes it does need work but people are comparing this to wow. This is not wow. This is bioware... They have awesome cutscene. and game play is unbelievable detail. I've been both in beta and now enjoying the finished product. I see a lot of people rating this game low... Aka most are wow players or elistest. Starwars the old republic and other starwars game are all about the community and fan base. Bioware is a developer who has reached the high level. Yes every company has there flaws but I'm giving this game a 10. Expand
  13. Dec 20, 2011
    This game does not deserve 0 or 1, think it's a great game with a good story with different perspectives, solid gameplay even though it is very similar to wow, i have been 3 different classes and have enjoyed them all. The endgame is obviously lacking a bit as any new mmo usually is and defenetly will need some work but overall I believe it's a solid start. I also do not mind theThis game does not deserve 0 or 1, think it's a great game with a good story with different perspectives, solid gameplay even though it is very similar to wow, i have been 3 different classes and have enjoyed them all. The endgame is obviously lacking a bit as any new mmo usually is and defenetly will need some work but overall I believe it's a solid start. I also do not mind the environments, never enjoyed walking a million miles in wow to grab a stupid quest item. I am going to give this a ten to even out all the haters unfair 1"s and 0"s Expand
  14. Dec 21, 2011
    SW: TOR is a very formidable adventure/theme park MMORPG, with a lot of polish and a great sense of atmosphere. If you enjoy games like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, or Rift, and you love Star Wars, then TOR is a no-brainer. Bioware has taken elements of their best-selling single-player games and brought them into the MMORPG landscape, with great success. Gone are theSW: TOR is a very formidable adventure/theme park MMORPG, with a lot of polish and a great sense of atmosphere. If you enjoy games like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, or Rift, and you love Star Wars, then TOR is a no-brainer. Bioware has taken elements of their best-selling single-player games and brought them into the MMORPG landscape, with great success. Gone are the days of reading walls of text, and now there are interactive discussions that help shape your character and tell a complete story, on par with most singleplayer games. There hasn't been a benchmark in the industry like this since the WoW juggernaut and if the smooth Early Access Launch is any indication, Bioware is going to be a top MMORPG developer for years to come. Expand
  15. Dec 20, 2011
    Bottom line on TOR is that if you love BioWare style storytelling, and don't absolutely loathe traditional themepark MMO mechanics, you will probably like this game, maybe even love it. But if you think story doesn't belong in MMOs, or themeparks suck, look elsewhere.
  16. Dec 20, 2011
    Beautiful storyline and beautiful graphics Lucas team did a superb job. Currently leveling a Sith warrior and so far it is enjoyable. Questing is fun one minute you're on planet and the next deep in space. Haven't encountered any PVP yet, I am a level 21, so far the dungeons have been great I am fighting great Jedi knights known in them movies with you and a group of random people. As farBeautiful storyline and beautiful graphics Lucas team did a superb job. Currently leveling a Sith warrior and so far it is enjoyable. Questing is fun one minute you're on planet and the next deep in space. Haven't encountered any PVP yet, I am a level 21, so far the dungeons have been great I am fighting great Jedi knights known in them movies with you and a group of random people. As far as professions, you don't have to worry you have slaves that can work for you 24/7, so you don't have to be picking on herbs have your slave to do it. So, far it is a fun game and can't wait for end content raiding, world bosses, and PVP SAAAAAN! Expand
  17. Dec 20, 2011
    I played KotOR and am a huge fun of Bioware games.
    Given this, i have been really disappointed at the late games Bioware has been releasing, both story and game play wise. Now i understand why. All the good writers, artists and game developers were working on SWTOR.
    I played KotOR and am a huge fun of Bioware games.
    I was really skeptic if the kotor style would work as a MMO. The thing is, the MMO is still there, but the kotor game feel really makes all the difference in the world. After playing this jewel it will be very difficult for anyone to go back and play another MMO.
    It still has a few flaws, like bounty hunter and smuggler story lines are not as good as the others, the crafting system is under powered, etc... overall it still gets 9, and that's because i am picky!
  18. Dec 20, 2011
    The game play in not game changing if you'll pardon the pun, but the sum of the game is greater than the parts. The excellent storytelling reinforces the pacing of the missions and instances, it keeps everyone in the story. I hated questing with friends in WoW, I missed all the story and always felt pressured to click through the walls of text and dash off after my companions. The voicedThe game play in not game changing if you'll pardon the pun, but the sum of the game is greater than the parts. The excellent storytelling reinforces the pacing of the missions and instances, it keeps everyone in the story. I hated questing with friends in WoW, I missed all the story and always felt pressured to click through the walls of text and dash off after my companions. The voiced dialogue and cut scenes fix that problem. Also the introduction of a social skill that you level through doing group dialogue keeps all the talking interesting from a game mechanics perspective. So, strong single player. Strong multi-palyer. Even the PvP which I have rarely even liked in other MMO's is quite fun. It feels more like a FPS to me, particularly the kind of ridiculous Hutball. I'm only 12 levels in so I can't speak to the end game, but so far I have to say that yes, it's a lot like WoW but the core game is better in pretty much every way. Expand
  19. Dec 21, 2011
    It's funny how critics are praising this game and sore WoW faithfuls are mocking it because they fear the power of the Dark Side. This game is not a WoW clone. It's an entirely different entity in itself. Naturally it has aspects of WoW but EVERY MMO will. The fact is: WoW fans are scared that their reign at the top of the MMO world may soon be coming to an end.

How can WoW compete

How can WoW compete with the vast lore and rich story telling that can only come from the Star Wars Universe? How can it compete with Space missions and space battles, planet hopping, brave and cunning Jedi Masters, ruthless and powerful Sith Lords, and quirky droid companions? How can it compete with a fanbase that has existed for over 30 years! It can't, so naturally, the WoW faithful are scared. Their is a new player in town and these gamers have to get over it and accept that they had a run like no other game in history, but it is time to pass the torch. Better game play, graphics, an epic soundtrack, and great mechanics.
  20. Dec 21, 2011
    The amount of negativity I see is staggering and honestly very unsettling. Many of the reviews are not only unfair, they seem written by people who have either never played a MMORPG before or actively find reasons to complain and give low scores.

A lot of people come off a previous Star Wars game, Star Wars Galaxies which was a totally different monster - it was a "sandbox game" which for those who don't know the terminology means a game that you can make your own. You could build a virtual city and live in it. Make a store and sell things. The worlds were huge and empty and built for players to create their *own* community. TOR is not a "sandbox game" - However it is the next evolution of the the online Star Wars genre. TOR takes the best aspects of several MMORPGs and combines them to create a totally new yet familiar beast. For example, some people are complaining at the lack of options during character creation. This game has a ton more choices then another successful game, World of Warcraft. That game has one body choice. TOR has 4. Then you get to the face and have a vast number of choices to craft your avatars face.

Tor is like a corvette with a custom engine. They researched many of the things that "worked" in multiple MMORPG's, tweaked it, and improved upon it!

The most amazing aspect of the game is the storytelling - not only is it all voiced (which is mind boggling), every storyline is well written and makes my experience in TOR one of the best I've had online. You have the potential to play through EIGHT different storylines (4 Sith Empire and 4 Republic) and you can also play a male or female character (with its own voice).

The game adds something I have not seen before in any game - Flashpoints! Flashpoints are missions that are performed in a group and offer conversation choices that each player has a chance to chose. Once chosen, virtual dice are thrown and whoever gets the highest roll is the response the game uses! It makes for some very exciting and fun roleplaying (even if you aren't a roleplayer!) where the attitude of the party (and sometimes the story) changes as you make your way through the Flashpoint. At one point we had a choice to kill an important character or allow that character to live! Hope you roll high!

Anyway, this game is amazing and the launch was one of the smoothest launches I have seen for an MMORPG in years. The developers promise tons of updates and with the money they are making with the successful launch of TOR and I believe they will deliver.

Finally, despite the negative online responses here, there is a VAST majority who are having a blast with TOR and are currently playing the game as opposed to the very vocal minority that has found a soapbox to stand on and complain.
  21. Dec 21, 2011
    I haven't been able to play this game enough, each class is amazingly fun, the plot lines are addicting and I have to know what else happens next. I was amazed at how well the pvp feels, you can jump right in at level 10 and still make a difference against level 30's and 50's etc. The crafting is somewhat unique for MMO's and while it feels slow its not annoying and I can see how it willI haven't been able to play this game enough, each class is amazingly fun, the plot lines are addicting and I have to know what else happens next. I was amazed at how well the pvp feels, you can jump right in at level 10 and still make a difference against level 30's and 50's etc. The crafting is somewhat unique for MMO's and while it feels slow its not annoying and I can see how it will be down the line will be engaging without feeling like a grind.

I feel this game is well worth your time and money, very fun and with the entire thing scripted with voice acting it feels like you're really immersed in the game.
  22. Dec 20, 2011
    Everyone knew what this game was gonna be like and now that it's released and not what they like, people act shocked and try and give it a bad name. It's a great game and only going to get better.

Also i read a guy who gave a zero saying it's a WOW clone and how Star Wars Galaxies didnt copy wow, which proves people dont know what they are talking about seeing as Star Wars Galaxies came out before WOW. But honestly great game worth playing.
  23. Dec 20, 2011
    This is the game for you if you like mmorpgs but are bored of world of warcraft., very inmersive and fun, bioware has to do lots of thing to improve it, but as it is now already is a very solid game. My score would be a 8, but seeing that people only use 0 when they want to criticize i have to give a 10 for it to balance out.
  24. Dec 20, 2011
    Star Wars the old Republic is a good MMORPG experience focused on storytelling, plot and involving characters, Through the use of unprecedented amounts of voice-acting and in-game cut-scenes the player is immersed in the game to degree not found in other MMO-type games. Often when playing I found that I cared more about advancing the plot than the rewards or XP I gained from them, a hugeStar Wars the old Republic is a good MMORPG experience focused on storytelling, plot and involving characters, Through the use of unprecedented amounts of voice-acting and in-game cut-scenes the player is immersed in the game to degree not found in other MMO-type games. Often when playing I found that I cared more about advancing the plot than the rewards or XP I gained from them, a huge improvement over old-style MMO's, where quests and grinding were just the means to reach endgame and left little to no impression on the player. At launch SWTOR is a solid game with some deficiencies in UI customization, hopefully future patches will remedy this. Expand
  25. Dec 20, 2011
    The only MMO on the market that is worth a subscription fee. A true masterpiece from BioWare. The attention to detail and the unique aspects of the game are mind blowing. I am hooked.
  26. Dec 20, 2011
    I've been playing MMO's for years now and I can easily say TOR is the best I have ever played; it's such a refreshing change to an increasingly stale genre, the story-lines for the individual classes offer very unique experiences to each other and the full voice over for all the quests is extremely satisfying. I found the PVP combat to be very balanced, no class was superior and theI've been playing MMO's for years now and I can easily say TOR is the best I have ever played; it's such a refreshing change to an increasingly stale genre, the story-lines for the individual classes offer very unique experiences to each other and the full voice over for all the quests is extremely satisfying. I found the PVP combat to be very balanced, no class was superior and the various PVP game modes are not only fun but more rewarding than other MMO's PVP content is, you can level up solely from grinding PVP if you want to. I knocked 1 off the score for 2 reasons; the first is the shocking space combat, which in my opinion could have been a browser based mini game as opposed to an advertised feature of the game, it's not that it isn't enjoyable it's just very very basic, the second is the sometimes dodgy animations, /cry is basically your character covering his face with his hands for instance. The crew aspect and owing your own ship reminded me a lot of Bioware's Mass Effect series, which of course isn't a negative point at all, I've played the game for nearing 100 hours now and I have no intention of stopping; this is one hell of a polished MMO that deserves every success it gets. Expand
  27. Dec 20, 2011
    I made this account for the sole purpose of reviewing this game. It is such an amazing product by bioware, who have a near flawless track record (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). Many people expect this to be just like WoW, but it is not. There are so many things right with this game, it's unbelievable. First, the biggest thing about this game is the way it immerses you, unlike manyI made this account for the sole purpose of reviewing this game. It is such an amazing product by bioware, who have a near flawless track record (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). Many people expect this to be just like WoW, but it is not. There are so many things right with this game, it's unbelievable. First, the biggest thing about this game is the way it immerses you, unlike many other MMOs. Because of the - you guessed it - voice acting, it feels like you are playing a single player game, but with friends. The people who are giving this game poor reviews most likely are the ones that hate change. Trust me, this is a game not to be missed. Expand
  28. Dec 20, 2011
    Everybody who only knows WoW will say this game is bad. But anyone with more vision and who like good stories will say this game is good. I have been playing during Early Access and beta and I love this game. The mixture of traditional WoW mechanics, with KOTOR mechanics, Mass Effect and Dragon Age make this game a great one. The ambientation and feelings are great.

I recommend this game

I recommend this game to everyone willing to taste something new in MMO world.
  29. Dec 20, 2011
    I participated in a couple beta test weekends and the early access; fortunately I have had no issues with queues or lag or anything whatsoever except your occasional bug. Its launch day and all I see on the forums are aggressive comments and hateful reviews; which I say are horribly exaggerated. Compared to other MMO's launched SWTOR has been a smoother experience. I enjoy the gameplay andI participated in a couple beta test weekends and the early access; fortunately I have had no issues with queues or lag or anything whatsoever except your occasional bug. Its launch day and all I see on the forums are aggressive comments and hateful reviews; which I say are horribly exaggerated. Compared to other MMO's launched SWTOR has been a smoother experience. I enjoy the gameplay and I have always loved the Star Wars franchise. Bioware's take on the Star Wars universe has brought renewed life to the franchise and if we are all patient and 'real' fans the game will get better. I rate the game at 10 to oppose the low scores that I see here and other sites cause those are biased opinions made out of the spirit of the moment. I like the story, I like the dialogues, I like the operations& flashpoints,space combat is not that thrilling but maybe they will change that, pvp and Huttball, loads of content ( what else do you want from an MMO if you dont like the franchise then play something else dont **** about it after only playing a couple hours....). I will be playing for the months to follow to be sure even just to play every character to see the story to the end. Go Bioware and Lucasarts! and yes I also love Blizzard but it doesnt mean we cant share the LUV! Expand
  30. Dec 20, 2011
    Just fantastic. Don't buy into the hate, enjoy this game for what is it ... one of the most enjoyable bieoware games yet. It wins on just about every level with great quests, fantastic PVP, and huge production values
  31. Dec 22, 2011
    very fun game , i'm level 21 and loving it! I also have a level 17 Trooper and he is a lot of fun too!
    I love the Jedi Sage and I want to roll a Jedi Shadow soon!
  32. Dec 21, 2011
    I've played this game since August in BETA and was blown away at first. While the graphics are stylized, they can be breathtaking, just looking out over a city I had just visited on top of a cliff, well it can be staggering, the music, well that's fantastic too. You really have 8 single player story lines here as all the different classes have individual class stories, but really thereI've played this game since August in BETA and was blown away at first. While the graphics are stylized, they can be breathtaking, just looking out over a city I had just visited on top of a cliff, well it can be staggering, the music, well that's fantastic too. You really have 8 single player story lines here as all the different classes have individual class stories, but really there are 2 totally different games; Empire and Republic.

It's standard MMO game play, coming from SWG the interface is nice and easy. The fighting, well you seem to be executing the moves in real-time, unless you look too deep into the system, so it's tight and fun. The quests are on another level to anything I've played before, yes it's all standard kill things, collect things etc.. but it's done in a meaningful way. The story grips, you as the voice acting and animation of the storylines is fantastic. There are lots of twists to the plot and it plays like an interactive movie, really beyond any other game I've played.

I started Beta as a Sith Warrior, I didn't care to play this at live, so not spoiling the experience, well I quickly started enjoying being an evil so and so. After a while you unlock your companion (and get five more along the way). They are suited to what your character needs most, a healer, a tank or dps. They really are great in combat and have been written with fantastic dialogue. My first companion was Vette, very similar to Mission from KOTOR in many ways ;) You can have a lot of fun with Vette if you're evil but it came to a point where I didn't want to disapoint her, she changed my playstyle. Each companion earns affection by the choices you make and have their own stories, quests etc.. it's all very well done but what did you expect from Bioware. If you're in to a bit of Bioware romance, you can romance your companions and several NPC's. In particular the Jedi and Sith Warriors go around the galaxy getting more action than Kirk!

Is it an MMO? Well there are plenty of people to meet if you want to, you can also just play by yourself and group up for the heroics and flashpoints. Really suits my casual, dip into to MMO but still have freedom to do my own thing.

I always said I would tire of playing when the story lines ran out, well five months on I'm playing Sith Warrior for the second time and still having a blast. You can play the game so many different ways and while your actions don't have vast consequences if you look very deeply, they do seem to. You can play several quest by fihgting or you can negotiate your way out of many a fight if you want to.
    bugs, well I haven't seen too many since August.. it's very polished, yes they are there but nothing that will get in your way.

If you love Bioware and Kotor, give it a try. I guarantee you will enjoy no matter what your playstyle is. You may not be into the MMO thing but you can play it as a single player game for a month and take it from there.

There really isn't anything more fun than fighting a mob on top of a cliff or bridge somewhere like Alderaan. You're running low on health and suddenly the cooldown on your force choke or force push comes back in to play... pick the baddie up by the throat with force choke, then force push him over the bridge to his death....
  33. Dec 20, 2011
    A solid MMO with that special Bioware storytelling magic added on. SWTOR is a ton of fun and offers some of the most rewarding MMO questing to date. The addition of complex class-specific storylines and moral choices with light-side/dark-side points adds an element to the MMO questing experience that is unlike any other game.
  34. Dec 21, 2011
    From the beginning, it was clear to me that all of BW's hype was directed towards one goal: producing an MMO that would be more like Knights of the Old Republic in gameplay and style than the traditional MMO. In that, I think they have come closer than any other MMOG. If you like the single-player RPG, you'll appreciate SW:TOR. The questing is actually more like Mass Effect, with fullFrom the beginning, it was clear to me that all of BW's hype was directed towards one goal: producing an MMO that would be more like Knights of the Old Republic in gameplay and style than the traditional MMO. In that, I think they have come closer than any other MMOG. If you like the single-player RPG, you'll appreciate SW:TOR. The questing is actually more like Mass Effect, with full voiceover and a somewhat limited 2-3 response system. I find I miss the more extended conversations you could have in KotOR, and even ME (using the "left side" of the dialog wheel that could give you more info rather than make character decisions on the right).

So, if you are looking for the "traditional MMOG experience"--focused on raiding, endgame, and PvP, you might find it lacking. It has those, but it certainly isn't a distinguishing element of the game. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a KotOR/ME kind of game, you will likely find it engaging.

So far, I find the questing fun and engaging, with some character's stories a bit better than the others (have only played two main classes so far). There are 4 main classes in each faction (Republic/Empire), with unique stories for all. However, the side quests are shared among all classes.

So far, I've noted the lack of what feels like "grinding" (I've gone into the early 20s with one character), and I've seen very little need to "farm" mobs (though I did a little at times to get that little extra XP to level). If this keeps up (and I was told it does pretty much up through the 40s), this is in itself unique in MMOGs--having fun while leveling? Incredible :)

And a final note for the hardcore gamer: I am seeing a lot of subtle complexity in the ability system that one needs to master to maximize your character. It's not conducive to having a strict rotation, and you are constantly having to manage your resource pool and activate abilities based on the special effects that sometimes get triggered from other abilities. So here's a place for you to show off your l33t performance :)
  35. Dec 21, 2011
    After having played a variety of MMO's since Everquest II, I have to say that Bioware has indeed achieved something unique. The Old Republic gives the immersion of a single player game, while allowing more traditional social options, such as PVP and grouping for PVE content. Currently, the social options are pretty limited, the biggest issue being no guild banks. Emotes typically found inAfter having played a variety of MMO's since Everquest II, I have to say that Bioware has indeed achieved something unique. The Old Republic gives the immersion of a single player game, while allowing more traditional social options, such as PVP and grouping for PVE content. Currently, the social options are pretty limited, the biggest issue being no guild banks. Emotes typically found in most MMO's are sadly lacking here, and the lack of armor customization found even in free-to-play MMO's is surprising, though they promise this in a future update. The combat system is fairly fluid and easy to learn, though there are sometimes too many options. There is no auto-attack feature, so it feels very interactive. The launch was smoother than any game I've ever seen or been a part of. Even during the evening hours of launch day, there was no wait time to get on most servers, and this was not apparently from lack of players. I highly recommend SWTOR to anyone looking for a good MMO experience. There are a few rough edges, but a surprisingly small amount considering the state most games ship these days. Expand
  36. Dec 20, 2011
    I have played SWTOR in two Beta Weekends, and every day since I got let into Early Access on Day 1. In total, I've probably logged more than 100 hours, and have played every classes origin world, as well as levelled 2 characters into the mid-high 20's, one in beta and my main now at launch. I've played maybe 5 MMO's previously. SWTOR is the best MMO I've ever played, but that doesn't meanI have played SWTOR in two Beta Weekends, and every day since I got let into Early Access on Day 1. In total, I've probably logged more than 100 hours, and have played every classes origin world, as well as levelled 2 characters into the mid-high 20's, one in beta and my main now at launch. I've played maybe 5 MMO's previously. SWTOR is the best MMO I've ever played, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. They've taken alot of the features that I didn't like about other MMO's and have fixed them. Crafting for one, no more wasting time doing it yourself, you can send your companions on missions to gather resources or craft for you. The crafting system is plenty detailed, it's better than any MMO I've ever played, though not as good as some other MMO's I've heard others speak of. You gather mats, you craft some greens, you reverse engineer them to get back some mats and have a chance at unlocking a blue quality recipe of that item, then you can make the blues and reverse engineer them for a chance at a purple quality item. There are crafting crits as well, which give you a chance at an extra bonus to an item, such as an extra mod slot. Many items can be modded, and certain crafting professions specialize in mods. The modding system, after having gone through several iterations in the beta, is finally as it should be, just enough mods for things to be simple, but still offer a lot of customization options for gear. Combat is your standard MMO hotkey fare, but Bioware has given abilities the best animations I've ever seen in an MMO, which really helps to spice up combat. Combat is responsive, unlike in many other MMO's I've played, when you hit a key, the ability is used almost immediately. Auto-attack has been removed, which also helps to liven up combat and make it feel more involving. Companions also help to liven up combat, but have much better AI than "pets" in other MMO's, so they don't require babysitting or micro-managing. Difficulty is pretty low throughout much of the game, but there are certain boss encounters in Flashpoints (SWTOR's story-driven version of Dungeons) and in certain points of the class story that are fairly difficult, requiring multiple tries. Death is made easier with an in place revive with a scaling cooldown. Death penalty is your standard item degradation, beware, items can degrade pretty quickly if you're dying alo, and repairig full degredation on all of your gear is somewhat pricey.

Graphics are better than those of any MMO I've ever played. You'll see some people complaining about the graphics, but those people are generally comparing SWTOR to singleplayer games, an unfair comparison for any MMO, a genre known for lesser graphics. There are few areas that are sloppily done, but that's to be expected in a game SWTOR's size, it may have more total land area than any game ever created except for Daggerfall (which used recycled generated areas). Character graphics are a weak area, as is character creation (but they've steadily added more options to creation throughout the beta and have said that they will contiunue to do so after launch). Story. Now this is where SWTOR stands out. I've played every classes origin world story, and 2 classes well into Chapter 1 (mid-late 20's). There isn't a story that I'm not hooked to, and I find myself having trouble playing choosing which character to work on each day. Writing is pretty good on most quests, there are few awkward moments both in the class stories and in side stories, but in general, they're fantastic. The Side stories aren't quite as good as the Class Stories, but I still find myself engrossed by several of them. Bioware has succeeded in making me feel an emotional connection to many of the charcters, both in Class Stories and Side Stories, so I have major trouble trying to choose dark side choices, even on my Sith characters.

PvP is amazing, better than in any MMO I've ever played. Combat is balanced, I find myself at the top of one leaderboard or other regardless of what class I'm playing. All the amazing Star Wars themed animations going off at once in a group engagement looks amazing, lightsabers whirring everywhere, blasterbolts and lightning flying past. The Warzones are varied and are quite entertaining. SWTOR's weakest area is social features. Right now, guilds are lacking features (high priority fix after launch), there are no social minigames to get people socializing in Cantinas (another post-launch feature), It's very difficult to find PUGs to run Heroics and Flashpoints with once you get out of the teens, the economy on the Galactic Exchange seems fairly poor (barely anyone are selling items there or are buying items from others). But all in all, SWTOR is an amazing achievement in MMO history. It's the best MMO I've ever played and I fully intend to play this game for at least a year.
  37. Dec 20, 2011
    I've been waiting too long for an MMO to pull me in like this again. The crafting isn't as deep as I'd like, but its still engaging and if you want to be good at it,you must invest time into it. FP's are amazing fun and group dynamics in missions, especially story missions is absolutely fantastic.
  38. Dec 21, 2011
    Its hard to say what makes this game so incredible, is the the stylised clone wars graphics, the orchastrated music or the fantastic narritive? I think its a combination of all of this and more. The game itself dosent feel like an mmo, from the very beginning if feels like you are playing your very own rpg based in the star wars universe and there just happens to be other people runningIts hard to say what makes this game so incredible, is the the stylised clone wars graphics, the orchastrated music or the fantastic narritive? I think its a combination of all of this and more. The game itself dosent feel like an mmo, from the very beginning if feels like you are playing your very own rpg based in the star wars universe and there just happens to be other people running around in the same world. It feels very much like the original KOTOR games right down to the companion quests and the combat. The standard bioware dialogue tree is there and it allows you to make decisions that will not only effect your alligent between dark and light, it also effects how your crew look at you and both are not always tied together. For instance, its possible to be a Sith making dark side choices but loose the respect of your crew because of it. This makes playing the game a unique balancing act, as a Bounty Hunter i feel no pressure to lean one way or the other and i make choices that i feel are appropriate to the situation, on the other hand a friend of mine is struggling to always make dark side choices as a sith because he feels he should, but they are not always things he agrees with.

A lot has been said about the graphics of the game, some love them and some hate them, the styleised approach is a wise one considering the type of game it is. Keeping the look away from realism stops them from dating as quickly as Galaxies did and allows the facial animation to shine through. The bold and colourfull environments do a great job of reflecting the Star Wars lore and never once do you feel that you are looking at something that could look better in a different engine.

The controls are standard mmo and that is perhaps the one thing about the game that isnt unique, you use your mouse to control point of view, ASWD control directions and the number keys are your attacks. The actual combat however looks great, as a bounty hunter you can engage your jetpack and fly Bob-Fett style above your foes raining rockets and blaster fire on them. As a Sith you can fire lightning from you finger tips and watch your enemies squirm in pain, the game feels authentically Star Wars.

Overall if you are a fan of Bioware titles, enjoy playing mmos or even just have a love for Star Wars this is the game for you. The strong story telling and excellent voice acting will keep you occupied when your friends are not around, and the execellent Flashpoint events (where everyone can have a dialogue option) will reward you for playing with others. I have no problem rating this one with a 10, its easily the best MMO out there today and is amoungst the best rpgs.
  39. Dec 21, 2011
    This is just unbelievable...the same people are bombarding this game with 0's over and over again. This needs to stop. It has happened with every big named game to come out and enough is enough. You are all a bunch of no life trolls. God PC Gamers are the whiniest group of people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
  40. Dec 20, 2011
    I signed up for Metacritic as I felt the need for a more indepth analysis of the game, after seeing some of the user "reviews" already out there I would describe SWTOR as a Story Driven MMORPG and it has a lot going for it. As has been mentioned, all quest givers, main characters and even your own character are voice acted, and it a high standard as well. Accepting quests usuallyI signed up for Metacritic as I felt the need for a more indepth analysis of the game, after seeing some of the user "reviews" already out there I would describe SWTOR as a Story Driven MMORPG and it has a lot going for it. As has been mentioned, all quest givers, main characters and even your own character are voice acted, and it a high standard as well. Accepting quests usually involves a bit of dialogue, in which you use a dialogue wheel (such as in Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2). I find this makes "normal" questing that much more engaging, and it gets even better if you are in a group, either in normal questing or in dungeons as all the party are engaged. When a dialogue choice needs to be made, each will make their choice and a roll is taken, the highest score uses their dialogue choice. This happens for each dialogue choice. I think this is a fantastic piece of the game. While quests are generally Kill that, activate this, retrieve those, they are well done (which MMO does not involve these quests, they all do, it is just how well they hide it). Also, many quests branch out or give you alternative solutions to completing them (do you do what the original quest giver wanted or take take up the alternative option of another). Many quests involve choices that affect your rewards and light side/dark side standing. While there are two factions (Sith and Republic) both factions can choose Dark and Light Side options (and get gear for that disposition) meaning you can have evil Jedi or good Sith if you so which, adding in a lot of choice. Dungeons are very well done with good stories. In addition to the usual loot that drops from bosses, there are also things call Commendations that drop from dungeons, normal mobs while questing and as rewards. You can turn these in in exchange for powerful gear. So even if there was nothing that dropped for you on a dungeon run, you usually get enough commendations (or close to enough) to get good gear from the respective vendors which is an excellent touch. Crafting is very well implemented. Instead of you having to go accross the map to find materials, you can send out your companions to gather them for you and they also craft the items, free you up to quest. You can also find materials in the wild if you so choose. I find combat to be extremely fun. Gone is the Auto-attack. You have to activly use an ability to perform an attack. I was skeptical about this at first but have found it great fun as it is very engaging and the combat looks great! It makes for a very nice visual experience. Class are fun, although I am a bit disappointing that the Sith and Republic classes are pretty much the same, just with different skill names and visual effects (but the same basic function). Each Class has two Advanced Classes, making for a total of about 8 unique classes in the game. In addition, each Advanced Class has 3 talent trees (you get 1 point per level after 10 to spend here) allow you to customize further. The game is not perfect of course. For us RP'ers, at the moment there are no Chat Bubbles (they will be implemented at a later date) making /Say chat more difficult than it needs to be. In addition there are various bugs atm, most are merely visual glithces, but I have experienced one in an instance which made be fall through the floor and get stuck, meaning I have to re-logg and could not complete the dungeon with my group. Also, I ordered the Collector's Edtion, and for some reason there is no manual! So there is very little explanation on how things work, for example that planets are divided into instances. Normally this is fine, but if you want to group with somebody from another instance (think another copy of the world) you have to change. The issue with this, is that is warns me I will not be able to see if my friends are online in this new instance and I do not know how to change back (since I do not have a manual!). So they need to provide better instructions and maybe actually include a game manual. Also there are some server waits at the moment and there seems to be a grafical glitch that can slow down even high end machines (Note: Fix by Setting Graphic Default to High, then apply. Then set to Low and turn of shadows and if you, like me have a low end machine, turn off grass etc and it works fine). Over all, from my 5 days of playing early access I have to say this is a great game, the story telling are signature Bioware, the quests usually have different outcomes and twists and the combat is fun. A bit rough around the edges still, but I expect many of these to be fixed post launch. The Good
    - Story/Characters
    - Grouping
    - Instances
    - Combat
    - Crafting

The Bad
    - Bugs
    - Wait Times
    - Lack of manual/documentation
    - Missing features (chat bubbles)
    - Instanced Planets (but this does help reduce quest ganking)

Recommendation: If you like MMORPG's you should give this game a try.
    Rating: 9 (10 to balance Red;s)
  41. Dec 20, 2011
    Star Wars: The Old Republic has hit all the nice touches. They've taken what has worked and made it better. The questing system? Yeah, it worked, but now your choices matter and you have fully immersive voice overs with amazing animations. The combat? Yeah, tab-targetting works. But now we have dynamic combat with amazing skill and strategy to master. The graphics? Yeah, they're not likeStar Wars: The Old Republic has hit all the nice touches. They've taken what has worked and made it better. The questing system? Yeah, it worked, but now your choices matter and you have fully immersive voice overs with amazing animations. The combat? Yeah, tab-targetting works. But now we have dynamic combat with amazing skill and strategy to master. The graphics? Yeah, they're not like Aion's but they are absolutely amazing. Many are downrating this game for silly reasons, but it's not due to the instancing. The instancing is very little and may I add, YOU CAN ALLOW OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR INSTANCES. YOU CAN SKIP THE MOVIES IF YOU WANT TO. Definitely a great game. Expand
  42. Dec 21, 2011
    Best launch of any MMO in history!!! Unlike WOW and so many others, there was no server crashing on release day.

This game is in keeping with Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) made by the same publisher. If you liked Mass Effect 1 and 2 plus looking forward to ME3 or if you enjoyed the KOTOR games, then you'll enjoy this game. Despite what people what say, this is a full fledge MMO. Unlike the negative reviewers that NEVER PLAYED THE GAME, or if they did just for a short time, I was a Closed Beta Tester and I've been playing the game for more than 6 months. During Beta, I ran several character up into the 30s and 40s. As veteran MMO player, I've played EQ, WOW, Warhammer, plus many more. This game is solid and worth playing. Yes it is potentially an WOW killer. This game should do to WOW what it did to EQ.

Here is some basic info on the game and review of some mechanics.

Servers -- This is a true MMO. (The idiot MagusGrandios, below, stating the each zone is instanced is false.) Generally, there is only one area which is what you will experience 90% of the time. There is a possibility of "server sharding" which is similar to WOW-phasing. This only happens when there is a huge number of people in one area. During beta stress weekends, this only happened in the newbie zones (first two planets) and I never saw it anywhere else. The sharding is to lower lag. For example, instead of seeing all 200 people in a zone, you'll only physically see 100 but you can still hear and talk to everyone. Otherwise, this is much like any other MMO. Travel is what you would expect. You get your first speeder at level 25, second upgrade around level 40. Until then you can "sprint", quick travel (a teleport, which everyone has access to), or use a taxi to fly from one area to another. Plus you get your ship around level 18 that allows you to fly between planets and participate in space combat.

Classes - There are 4 basic or archtype classes for the first 10 levels, then you break out into one of two Advanced Class or AC. 8 total classes. Each class has 3 trees. One tree is always DPS and the other PVP/Utility. The third tree is considered the "advanced class defining" tree. (In WOW terms, the Shadow-Priest is a DPS tree that makes the priest like a mage, but it is the healing tree that defines the class.) There are 3 tanks, 3 healers, and 2 dedicated DPS advanced classes, albeit all 8 classes can DPS in thier DPS tree. The classes are relatively balanced.

Companion -- One very cool feature is that EVERYONE is a pet class. Companions have thier own skills and ability bars that you can customize to your needs. Over the game you will get around 5 character (6 if you count your ship droid). Each companion represents a archtype of melee tank, melee dps, ranged tank, ranged dps, and healer. You get a new companion about every 5-8 levels starting at level 8. You can only use one companion in combat at a time. The other companions can be sent on non combat activities which can range from crafting (armsmech, armstech, cybertech, etc.) to missions (investigation, diplomacy, etc.) to component gathering (salvaging, bioanalysis, slicing, etc.)

PVE & Grouping -- This game utilizes a basic 4 man grouping system. If you have less than 4 players, then companions can fill the wholes. Thus two players can each have a companion and make a four man group. There is basic content that is 1 or 2 person oriented. Plus there are 2 man Heroics, 4 man Heroics, and Flashpoints. End game raiding requires 16 man groups. The game features all of the looting features you've come to expect from an MMO.

PVP & Battlegrounds -- The game features world PVP on PVP servers plus Battlegrounds on all severs. The Battlegrounds rely upon scenarios. If you've played Warhammer, then must of this will be familiar. Warhammer was one of the best PVP oriented MMOs, and this is the same developer.

Crafting -- Crafting is different than most games. You are not the crafter but it is a skill set shared by your whole crew. Thus making a set of armor takes time. You go on missions while you leave your companions at the ship making armor. Companions can also be sent on gathering missions to get you the items you need. Companions can also go on missions which can receive rewards such as materials or schematics that are useful in crafting. Very smooth system. I currently have an Armstech/Scalvaging/Investigations character with the skills in the 170-200 range.

Guild System -- The guild pre-launch program was flawless. For pre-existing guilds, they were organized pre-release and automatically added to their guild at launch. There are a few incoming features, such as guild bank, that is supposed to be included in the first patch.
  43. Tro
    Dec 20, 2011
    I've been patiently waiting for this game ever since I heard about it back in mid 2010. Prior to that I had sworn off MMORPGs after getting bored with the genre, however the combination of Star Wars and a massively open world to play in convinced me to keep an eye on developments. After having participated in the recent beta weekend events, I knew with 100% certainty that Star Wars: TheI've been patiently waiting for this game ever since I heard about it back in mid 2010. Prior to that I had sworn off MMORPGs after getting bored with the genre, however the combination of Star Wars and a massively open world to play in convinced me to keep an eye on developments. After having participated in the recent beta weekend events, I knew with 100% certainty that Star Wars: The Old Republic would be my new digital home for the foreseeable future. Once you get your ship and more powerful abilities early-to-mid level you really start to appreciate the sheer amount of hard work that has gone into this game; the scenery especially is outstanding, from the claustrophobic tunnels of Coruscant to the brash, neon skyline of Nar Shaddaa, and then to the dusty, sandy, scorched world of Tatooine, you are fully immersed in the Star Wars galaxy so deftly and lovingly crafted by BioWare. The gameplay is also excellent, and I've got so many abilities to play around with even though I'm level 33 (out of 50) that I've run out of hotkeys! Conclusion: I can heartily recommend this game to newcomers and veterans alike. There are hundreds, thousands of hours of game time to be had, for the price of a couple of rental dvds per month. This premium entertainment is excellent value for money. Expand
  44. Dec 20, 2011
    The Troll is strong with this one... people appear to be rating 0-3 on the DAY OF RELEASE. Anyone who has played an MMO knows that it is impossible to glean insight to the game's worth in a single day. Even those (myself included) with early game access experience have not reached level cap and have not had nearly enough time to explore even a fraction of the whole experience. All of thatThe Troll is strong with this one... people appear to be rating 0-3 on the DAY OF RELEASE. Anyone who has played an MMO knows that it is impossible to glean insight to the game's worth in a single day. Even those (myself included) with early game access experience have not reached level cap and have not had nearly enough time to explore even a fraction of the whole experience. All of that said, I'm casting my vote just to even out the trolls. I'll come back and adjust my rating as I gain more experience with the title, but know this much; I am extremely satisfied thus far. My wife and I had a blast going through the starter zone together and I've been extremely amused solo'ing as I explore each of the classes. Graphics are superb, though you'll want to force AA on [Google it - it's not terribly difficult] and I like playing without shadows. The voice acting is top notch, and the music is wonderfully nostalgic. Gameplay, so far, is as to be expected from an MMO title; I have no outstanding remarks to make therein. Expand
  45. Dec 21, 2011
    I am absolutely enthralled by this game. I love how story-driven it is, and how at several points during a quest chain, you have to make moral decisions and judgement calls that affect your own character's story progression. On a technical side, I think that the game play is very intuitive (I am an enthusiastic but not exactly pro gamer, having mostly played World of Warcraft, Dragon Age,I am absolutely enthralled by this game. I love how story-driven it is, and how at several points during a quest chain, you have to make moral decisions and judgement calls that affect your own character's story progression. On a technical side, I think that the game play is very intuitive (I am an enthusiastic but not exactly pro gamer, having mostly played World of Warcraft, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate, along with some zombie shooters and racing games). I love that the "gathering" quests are completed automatically when you are done with the objective: no need to run back to the quest giver all the time to hand him over 10 pelts or something. I love that you can run with the map open (it fades out, but it is still superimposed over the game, so you can see where you are going). There are a ton of other details like that, little things that make this game a joy to play.

On the MMO aspect, I suppose your experience will vary depending on what server you choose, but as for myself, on an RPPVP server, I have to say: I find the people friendly and helpful. I ran across some public RP already, and there was a huge wpvp event on our server just yesterday, on launch day. You can definitely play alone and truly enjoy yourself, but I find that having a guild is a nice bonus (if only to ask newbie questions).

I would definitely recommend this game as a first experience to anyone who has ever wanted to try out MMORPGs: it is quite easy to get the hang of, the stories are rich and interesting, and there is so much to discover that you will really enjoy yourself. If you never played an MMO before, look at the user forums for your server, read up on various guilds, and apply to one that interests you. Playing with like-minded and helpful people will enhance your experience.

As for a rating, I am giving this a 10, because I can't think of anything that I would like to change, so far. PVE, PVP, RP (and story content): I like it all! :)
  46. Dec 20, 2011
    One phrase sums up SW:TOR, "It's the STORY.....(stupid)".

One phrase sums up SW:TOR, "It's the STORY.....(stupid)".

The EQ -> WoW MMO legacy was based only loosely on story and mostly about gear progression. In those games I always felt the urge to rush to max level, skip quest text, follow the bread crumb trail that was obvious, and get to the next level, the next zone, the next gear upgrade. Blah, blah boring after 7 years of playing like that. WoW is an awesome game and there is enough room in my gaming interests to play BOTH without the universe exploding. But that gaming mode is old, old, old.

Make no mistake, this is NOT WoW and is not trying to copy WoW. There are basic things that are in common such as talents and combat, but that's about as far as it goes. The immersion comes from paying attention to the quest voice dialog and really interacting with it. Your choices in the dialog matter and as a result I have found myself personally attached to my toon within the first 5 levels. My toons in other games are all about their gear at max level where leveling doesn't mean jack at the end. In this case, our choices all along the way are unique and give a unique feel to your toon.

Mechanically, SW:TOR has a number of nice "quality of life" goodies. The Companion system for crafting is a fantastic concept. No more taking your own time to farm and craft grind over and over again, send your companion off to do that. AoE looting is a huge improvement to the questing experience. The light/dark options along the way leave you with a unique character at max level as well based on the choices along the way. Yes, you can be a dark Jedi or a light Sith. And what's even more interesting is the clear distinction between Empire and Republic with no blurring the lines and "capital city" mess of being "nice" to the other faction. The other guys are your sworn enemies and you want to kill them. Take that into PvP and you'll have a lot more fun!

Yes, there are improvements that need to be made but what games doesn't need them? The UI needs customization (which they say is coming), the GTN (auction house equivalent) needs some better filtering ability. If those improvements don't come, then there is a problem. But to be sitting on launch day and have the major things RIGHT, and some details like the ones I mentioned not done yet just tells me they made good choices in building a game that is INTERESTING first. They are not fatal flaws unless you're a hyper-obsessive basement dweller.

The term "WoW killer" is so overused and misapplied it's laughable. BW didn't set out to make this a killer of anything but to make a game with their unique way of story telling that happens to be one of the most relateable and immersive story lines of the modern movie generation, Star Wars. To enjoy that means setting aside most of the mind set trained from the WoW's of the MMO genre and being open to a new experience. One that I personally find to be the best and most refreshing since I started playing MMOs 8 years ago.
  47. Dec 21, 2011
    Absolutely phenomenal MMO. I've played launches for pretty much every major subscription MMO since 2004 and this has by far been the best. Game-play and story are amazing and the game is pretty much bug free and the servers are running flawlessly.
  48. Dec 21, 2011
    This is an excellent game. The storyline as you're questing is as good as any singe player RPG I've ever played, certainly a deeper plot than any of the Elder Scrolls games. The worlds and characters are unique and vibrant, truly immersing you in the Star Wars universe. When you play this game, you will feel like you are part of Star Wars.

While there are only four character classes for

While there are only four character classes for each faction, the "ability trees" available give you a much greater difference than WoW. Going from one tree to the next completely changes how you play the class, giving you a different experience with each configuration that you try.

Character creation isn't quite as deep as some games out there. That said, it is much deeper than the game that everyone is comparing it to, WoW. One must also bear in mind that the more you allow customization of characters, the more cutbacks you need to make elsewhere. 4 body types and up to 32 different faces, hairstyles, etc is much more than most games on the market. It's just not quite City of Heroes worthy.

The controls are very responsive in this game and the animations are truly fluid. Combat has a faster pace than the original trilogy. Blaster battles seem epic and lightsaber combat is as good as the Jedi Knight series.

While this game does have a couple of bugs, mostly with stairs, I have never once played an MMO that did not have a couple of kinks in the beginning. I dropped the cash for the Collector's Edition and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I've been waiting on this game for several years now and it has exceeded my expectations. In response to instances, it cuts back on server lag and makes leveling easier. If you're in "Kaas City 1" and your friend is in "Kaas City 2" then it literally takes less than 10 seconds for one person to switch to the other. Maybe the other reviewers would like to see so much traffic that the quest givers are no longer visible.
  49. Dec 21, 2011
    I'm a level 40 and I can't understand some of the reviews on this site but each to there own. This game in my mind is fantastic. The story is so impressive, the combat is so much fun to watch even after 40 levels as well as engaging. I feel engrossed in the world and love playing warzones and can't wait to see what Ilum has in store. Are there things I would like to see in game like a moreI'm a level 40 and I can't understand some of the reviews on this site but each to there own. This game in my mind is fantastic. The story is so impressive, the combat is so much fun to watch even after 40 levels as well as engaging. I feel engrossed in the world and love playing warzones and can't wait to see what Ilum has in store. Are there things I would like to see in game like a more PVP focused Space system, Guild Functionality and much more character customization, YES. However Bioware have clearly stated they are working on this right now and some of those things will be coming very soon. They need to deliver but the game is 3 days old and it has a ton of content out of the gate.

For an MMO launch its been exceptional beyond some queue issues which are common at every MMO launch as people rush to the same servers that are over populated rather than spread out as well as a small issue on one planet causing a memory leak. there has been hardly any systemic issues if any that i have seen.

I can't wait for this game to evolve and what the future brings.
  50. Dec 20, 2011
    Very fun, fast paced game. Great questing, fantastic voice-acting, plenty to do in a game that promised a true Star Wars MMO experience and delivers. Not without minor problems (like any launch month MMO), but most polished game to come along since World of Warcraft in 2004. SWTOR is most definitely worth the box price and subscription investment. Very much recommended.
  51. Dec 20, 2011
    If you've ever liked world of warcraft, or if you've ever liked a bioware game like mass effect, you will really enjoy star wars the old republic. You can't go wrong buying this game. At worst, you can play this game to max level a couple times and uninstall. At best you'll play it for many many hours.

If you are looking for a sand box mmo, keep looking (if you want an AAA sand box mmo, sorry, they don't exist).
  52. Dec 20, 2011
    Its really too early to post a score at such an early stage for an MMO, give it a couple of months of your time then come back and give a review, to review an MMO in less than 24hrs or on its beta performance is just insane. If you asked any normal gamer to sit down and play 24hrs of WoW or rift or any other MMO for that matter im pretty sure that the review would turn out negative.
  53. Dec 20, 2011
    Every negative review complains that this game is a copy of WoW but with improved storytelling and voice acting. What did you give WoW then? A zero as well? No, this game is an improvement for the MMO genre and deserves a rating that fits. This game was everything I hoped for and I have only used one of the eight characters so far. This game is a success for Bioware and fans of RPGs.
  54. Dec 20, 2011
    I can only base a review on my own experience, to all those having issues I can understand the low scores and frustration but I haven't had any issues, quite the opposite.

I am loving this game, I am almost a level 30 Jedi guardian and can't believe how good the story is, I can confidently say this is the first MMO where I haven't skipped the text to just get to objective, it makes you care about the characters, story and goal's and that's something this genre has been lacking. The gameplay's not going to set the world on fire but there's nothing wrong with it, it works. MMO's are constantly evolving and I'm sure the balancing and general issue's will be worked out quick enough but my Jedi Guardian is fun to control, I never find myself just hitting something with a lightsaber until its dead, (After the first few starter worlds) It get's challenging and I find myself having to use cooldown's, shields and the force to defeat enemies.

Crafting in this game is a strong selling point, it's got a lottery feeling about it, there's the chance of getting a "Rare" that you can actually use and make's crafting like spinning a roulette wheel.

All in all ill be subscribing and hope enough other people do to keep this game going.
  55. Dec 20, 2011
    Best Star Wars MMO? yes. This is what i have been waiting for. RPG is finally back in MMO and thanks to Bioware i actually care for role playing part.
  56. Dec 20, 2011
    Fantastic Game! A must Purchase! Worth every cent! The Graphics are fantastic for what they're trying to do with them, which is appeal to a wider audience of people including those with lesser machines. The storylines are amazing, and the quality is fantastic. My only complaint is horrible customer service, but that's expected with a new game like this, with the millions of peopleFantastic Game! A must Purchase! Worth every cent! The Graphics are fantastic for what they're trying to do with them, which is appeal to a wider audience of people including those with lesser machines. The storylines are amazing, and the quality is fantastic. My only complaint is horrible customer service, but that's expected with a new game like this, with the millions of people playing at launch! Expand
  57. Dec 20, 2011
    Beautiful game that caters to both casual and hardcore players. There is minimal lag for even the crappiest PC due to the class zones being instanced for story-line purposes. There's no running off to kill 20 cats and bringing it back with little to no story. For the game's start, I think it's doing wonderfully. You will either hate or like or and those that seem to hate it are World ofBeautiful game that caters to both casual and hardcore players. There is minimal lag for even the crappiest PC due to the class zones being instanced for story-line purposes. There's no running off to kill 20 cats and bringing it back with little to no story. For the game's start, I think it's doing wonderfully. You will either hate or like or and those that seem to hate it are World of Warcraft fans where NOTHING ever changes aside from additions to the class and races and a few meager pieces of crap. You want repetition? Go play WoW. This game has barely put it's foot in the door and no one has even given it the time of day before they start trashing it.

I am sticking it out and plan on seeing what Bioware does with this game. It's very submursive and that's what I was looking for in an MMO.
  58. Dec 20, 2011
    Please be aware that 99% of the reviews so far are from jaded haters who have not even played the game. This game is EXACTLY what BioWare has been promising all along. Whether you like it or not, at least they were honest and up front with it.

I've felt immersed into the story and the world from the very beginning. Unlike every MMO I've played in the last 5 years (and I've played them all), I don't feel like I'm being pressured to level up quickly. I'm enjoying the story and taking in everything the game has to offer.

It in NO WAY feels like a lobby based game and is 100% an MMORPG. If you see someone say otherwise, you can know with absolute certainty that they are nothing but a troll.
  59. Dec 20, 2011
    As a long time MMORPG gamer, SWTOR is a breath of fresh air. I hate reading quest text, in fact, I never bother with it. I just can't get interested enough in whatever kind of BS lore the game team came up with. However as a huge fan of Mass Effect, the dialogue choice BioWare chose to go with was a major selling point for me. Not only can you choose what your character says, but if you'reAs a long time MMORPG gamer, SWTOR is a breath of fresh air. I hate reading quest text, in fact, I never bother with it. I just can't get interested enough in whatever kind of BS lore the game team came up with. However as a huge fan of Mass Effect, the dialogue choice BioWare chose to go with was a major selling point for me. Not only can you choose what your character says, but if you're in a party with a friend, both of your characters (up to 4) are featured in the cut scenes and have a chance of speaking. I love that.

I think as far as gameplay goes, it is standard MMO gaming. NOthing was reinvented except for the way quests are accepted. Storyline seems like a useless addition to most MMO's. In SWTOR - it's prevalent.

I believe this is setting a new bar in MMO storytelling, and I expect future games to follow this successful path.
  60. Dec 20, 2011
    I've played many MMOs: WoW, DDO, LOTRO, Star Trek, Champions Online, EVE, etc. I spent several years playing WoW. This, by far, is one of the best MMOs I have played. It's is incredibly immersive. The story-lines pull you in and keep you wanting more. The combat is smooth, active and enjoyable. This is the Star Wars RPG I have always wanted. Like any good MMO developer, Bioware has triedI've played many MMOs: WoW, DDO, LOTRO, Star Trek, Champions Online, EVE, etc. I spent several years playing WoW. This, by far, is one of the best MMOs I have played. It's is incredibly immersive. The story-lines pull you in and keep you wanting more. The combat is smooth, active and enjoyable. This is the Star Wars RPG I have always wanted. Like any good MMO developer, Bioware has tried to implement some of the best features and elements of any MMO. The comparisons to WoW are only surface deep. Anyone claiming it is "WoW with lightsabers" has not spent any significant time with either product. Expand
  61. Dec 20, 2011
    One of the best MMO's to date, Bioware has put a lot of work passion into this title, and it shows. With fully voiced over NPC's and quest lines that takes a page from Mass Effect. With exciting PVP end combat and unique story-lines for each class. The true WoW killer has arrived!
  62. Dec 21, 2011
    It's the voice-acting and story that saves this game! Gameplay, etc is very much like WoW. And truly...I don't care. If you can't come up with a better system, and obviously no one can, as WoW's combat isn't unique to it either. (Yes people liken things to WoW without comparing what they copied) But I could care less if combat isn't revolutionized if the game is fun to play. And soIt's the voice-acting and story that saves this game! Gameplay, etc is very much like WoW. And truly...I don't care. If you can't come up with a better system, and obviously no one can, as WoW's combat isn't unique to it either. (Yes people liken things to WoW without comparing what they copied) But I could care less if combat isn't revolutionized if the game is fun to play. And so far, it is. Don't get me wrong, I have my share of complaints, mostly due to imbalance of characters, server lag, a few glitches, and other few things they have to fine toon. But most MMOs launch with their share of problems. I was expecting this. The life-span of this game will be determined by how they smooth these out. My least liked thing will probably not be fixed, that of so many loading screen between areas, such as the elevators on ships, where I'd like to not feel a disconnect when switching to my ship. But this is actually where I give it a 9. I expected the other stuff. It's hard to launch a MMO without them, as you can test all day, but there's no way to be sure how things will work when you have millions playing at once. And until they do, the story should keep us interested. Expand
  63. Dec 20, 2011
    TL,DR version: If you are an MMO (especially WoW) veteran looking for something entirely else, move along. If you are here to enjoy a very solid Star Wars MMO with a refreshing take on NPC and mission interactions, come on in!
    *************************
    SW:TOR is all about expectations. This is an observation I made during my time in the beta and early-access communities and I'd like to
    *************************
    SW:TOR is all about expectations.

This is an observation I made during my time in the beta and early-access communities and I'd like to elaborate on that rather than futilely give a final verdict to an online game that has been officially live for less than 24 hours right away.

There is a group of players (I won't call them "minority" just yet, but they are certainly more vocal then they ought to be) who came to SW:TOR expecting groundbreaking new features, cutting edge technological feats and never-before-seen, game-changing innovation.
    They were counting on SW:TOR to make right all the failings and shortcoming they perceive in other MMOs (especially WoW) and if not that, then at least vastly improve upon already existing features. The absurdly negative reviews you see on this site, as well as other sources, will for the most part be their doing.
    I've been following SW:TOR since 2008 and I never got that " *everything* will be brand-new" vibe from all the announcements, news and ads I've seen / read during this time, so frankly I'm at a loss where all these baseless expectations are coming from. However, it's undeniable that a considerable group was thinking otherwise so I'm sure they must have their reasons. So honest warning: If you expect this game to greatly deviate from the trodden path, to have such features and gameplay that you, as a MMO veteran, will be astonished with something new at every turn, then SW:TOR is sure to disappoint you, and if you can't alter those expectations to match reality you'd be better off to stay away.

HOWEVER, SW:TOR is a great game in its own right. Quite similar to what Blizzard did when they were making the most successful MMO ever, Bioware takes the established Star Wars name, blends it with tried-and-true best practices copied from numerous other games, does some fine-tuning improvements where necessary, and then adds their original flavor on top of that. And what a flavor it is, in my 10+ years of MMO gaming, I never though that there could such engrossing storytelling and character interaction in a online game.
    If you want your game to be different not in combat mechanics or talent trees or class system etc. but in the way of how you become a part of an epic world along with other players, SW:TOR more than delivers: It excels above all others. (Sure, sandbox games such as EVE Online -of which I'm an avid fan- can challenge that, but "making up your own story" isn't quite the same as taking part in the tales of a master storyteller).

So if you came to SW:TOR hoping to find quests with moral choices and multiple outcomes (that contrary to some uninformed accusations have greater effect on your character than purely cosmetic), to feel personally involved in completing the next mission or killing the next big bad, to take your own starship to the far reaches of a wonderfully "Star Warsy" galaxy, to interact with and influence NPCs almost as much as you can with human players, and if you want to do all of these based on rock-solid MMO mechanics instead of wild experimental ideas that might just fail and ruin all of the above, then look no more, welcome home.
  64. Dec 20, 2011
    Great game! Huge rush of fresh air for us long term MMO players. Do not be dissuaded by the WOW/Blizzard fanboys who have been driven into a life of stale complacency. SWTOR has had the best launch of any MMORPG I have ever tried. I have experienced few bugs and barely any lag for the 7 days I have played so far. I see only good things to come from here on out.
  65. Dec 20, 2011
    Let me start with syaing i was pretty exited about his game, but i knew Lucasarts had burn me in the past so I went in to the game with relatively low expactaions... and they blew me away!

That this is the worlds most expensive game to date shows, the voice acting is some of the best in the industry and surely the most biggest voice acting project to date! Grapichs are exellent for an

Grapichs are exellent for an mmo while they don't compare to most other triple A singleplayer games, it is the best looking mmo out there. Tere are some visual bugs out there but nothing gamebreaking or annoying!

Gameplay is standard launch mmo, not as polished as most current mmos out there are at this moment but I would assume that this will be fixed and balanced out within months! The game also has space combat which is very akin to Star Fox or Lylat wars in europe which in it self could very well be a self contained game!

The story writing is on par with other games Bioware has put out with eight self contained stories for each starting class. Obviously I have been unable to complete all of them in time of writing and this is something i look forward into doing!

This isn't going to break "any other mmo" out there right now but in a month when the kinks have all been worked out this will be the contender!

Even though parts of this review has reflected negatively on the game this are miniscule problems that I wanted to bring to light the take very little away from the experience of discovering the world of Star Wars and this is a game I will willingly be sinking alot of time into!

I recommend getting this game as fast as you can since it will most likely be in very high demand.
  66. Dec 20, 2011
    So far I cannot say a bad thing about this game... after having played tried most every MMORPG there is out there since the time of Ultima Online I can say with a great deal of certainty that this is the new top MMORPG in the market.

Absolutely fantastic!
  67. Dec 21, 2011
    I posted the Top Ten Reasons That Star Wars: The Old Republic is My WoW Killer in a Cracked-style article that can be found here:

68. Dec 21, 2011
    Excellent game ! engaging, good features, excellent immersion. Some good innovation here and elimination of grinding. Class stories are very well done. 10/10 in my book
  69. Dec 20, 2011
    Great game. Fully Voice acted, detailed story, and very large universe. I have read many complaints that it's not MMO enough... Maybe it's just not the MMO for YOU. Single play content is awesome, but that's not all there is. I have no problem grouping, playing any content single or in a group. If you go into it with a negative attitude because you aren't "raiding" after 20 minutes ofGreat game. Fully Voice acted, detailed story, and very large universe. I have read many complaints that it's not MMO enough... Maybe it's just not the MMO for YOU. Single play content is awesome, but that's not all there is. I have no problem grouping, playing any content single or in a group. If you go into it with a negative attitude because you aren't "raiding" after 20 minutes of play, that's you're fault. It's the anti-grind MMO. If you like the raid gear grind, good for you, just don't complain because this MMO does it differently, go play WOW nobody will miss you here. Expand
  70. Dec 20, 2011
    There is an obvious attempt by someone (usually just follow the money) to cripple SWTOR out of the gate. I've played the game (about 40 hours so far) and I've barely scratched the surface of the content. If you liked Knights of the Old Republic you will like this game, a lot.
  71. Dec 20, 2011
    Star Wars: The Old Republicâ
  72. Dec 20, 2011
    I don't normally take the time to vote but lets be serious here. This extremely small number of users does not represent the hundreds of thousands playing. Odds are the ones enjoying the game are not going to take the time to come here and vote for the game unless of course they, like me, saw somebody suggesting the game was poor based upon 200 people's opinions.

Well here's mine: This

Well here's mine:

This game is amazing.

K thx.
  73. Dec 20, 2011
    SWToR is an absolutely phenomenal MMORPG and does exactly what BioWare set out to do: add the pillar of story to MMO gaming. The voice acting is fantastic (even better given the scale that it's been done on), the story is interesting and engaging, the game aesthetic is great (if you're looking for a realistic graphical style you will be disappointed, but if you're an experienced MMO-erSWToR is an absolutely phenomenal MMORPG and does exactly what BioWare set out to do: add the pillar of story to MMO gaming. The voice acting is fantastic (even better given the scale that it's been done on), the story is interesting and engaging, the game aesthetic is great (if you're looking for a realistic graphical style you will be disappointed, but if you're an experienced MMO-er you'll understand the issues that realism brings to the table), combat is significantly more fast-paced than any MMO in the past (and is incredibly fun), I could go on. It is obvious BioWare took several notes from Blizzard on this one, but I think to have ignored WoW completely would have been a fatal mistake. It's okay to admit one game did something right and to try and improve on it, which is exactly what BioWare has done with this. Although on the surface many things may seem like a WoW clone, the similarities don't tend to extend beyond them both being in the same genre (MMORPG). TLDR: I highly recommend this game for anyone who is still interested in the genre of MMORPG, as the game is absolutely fantastic on just about every level; however, if you're looking for something completely different (or if you don't like BioWare games), you should pass this up. Expand
  74. Dec 20, 2011
    The game's story is very immersive and can be solo'd. It does encourage you to team up with friends in order to earn social points and complete flash points. The queue times are a little long right now and yet I'll continue to wait in line to play my character. Bioware did a great job of making you feel as if you own the story. Recommended for anyone who feels that story is important!
  75. Dec 20, 2011
    This is one of the most well-crafted MMOs of all time. Never once did I feel as if I was grinding. The story is compelling and makes you want to work toward completing missions in order to see what the next step will be. Great job, Bioware. I look forward to seeing what the future brings to SW:TOR.
  76. Dec 20, 2011
    I was excited for this game and BOY was I right to be. It has the right Star Wars feel, the music, it has the Bioware voice-acting and a story that just drags you in. There is no bad review in the world i would agree with, i love it to bits!
  77. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is amazing! The best MMO out there, period. If you love star wars you will love this game. I've had so much fun with the story, companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on...

There is not much negative about this game.. I can't wait for future updates and expansion :)

May the force be with you!
  78. Dec 20, 2011
    This is a masterpiece of a Star Wars experience set in the MMO genre. Bioware has done so many things right with this title as an epic saga that you forget your playing an online game. Action, adventure, group content, multi-player conversations, epic large group world bosses, gear progression, gear customization, etc etc etc. It is what you expect an MMO to be with some seriously niceThis is a masterpiece of a Star Wars experience set in the MMO genre. Bioware has done so many things right with this title as an epic saga that you forget your playing an online game. Action, adventure, group content, multi-player conversations, epic large group world bosses, gear progression, gear customization, etc etc etc. It is what you expect an MMO to be with some seriously nice surprises. Though I do not dispute the fact that this game is not for everyone (because its an MMO and play as such), I also know trolls will be trolls, and some of the reviews for this game were only created to instill doubt and conflict. I'll lay it out honestly. SWTOR doesn't do a whole lot to push the genre forward with this game, however, what Bioware did, they did beautifully and a fully voiced experience should become the new standard for AAA MMO titles. If you are a fan of MMO's, you'll feel right at home. If you're a fan of epic star wars adventures with interactive cinematic storytelling, you'll be in heaven. This is a well produced, well developed MMORPG with all the trimmings.With the amount of interest in this game, the impossible was accomplished. Bioware managed to launch this behemoth with no downtime, no server lag with the occasional queue for some of the highest populated servers. Smoothest MMO launch this fella has ever experienced. Their do-diligence really paid off here for the customer, and I appreciate that Bioware found success where 99% of MMO launches have failed. This game is worth every penny right out of the box, and I can not wait to see what's coming by way of future content patches. Hold on to your seats, this is going to be one long and epic ride. Expand
  79. Dec 21, 2011
    - Graphics: Ok. not great, but OK. Some zones really are gorgeous, others, not that much.
    - Character customization: Below average... We want more!
    - Character customization: Below average... We want more!
    - Story line, questing: Amazing. This is truly where the game shines. I have NEVER been so immersed, and it really IS hard to disconnect every night, because I really want to see more of the story. Besides, cut scenes and dialogues for EVERY quests is just great. The choices you have to make "a la" mass effect / kotor my not change the outcome of the dialogue (except for the dark/like choices) but it just feels much more like a "real" conversation. Dialogues in groups are awesome imo. BUT, if you're not the type of player who likes to listen to an NPC, you might not like it, because it's everywhere. So, as I read below, you will feel like "loosing" some time. Well it's a matter of opinion. I don't feel that way because I LOVE it. But I can understand that some ppl won't. Moreover, it has a feel of epic, right from the start. First time I feel that way in an MMO. "What? Seriously? Come on, where are my ten wolves to kill?"
    - Combat PvE: Feels more dynamic than wow (I play a tanking Sith assassin ), even if it is similar: GCD, CDs, ultimate skill every 20/30 minutes... they are all here. But the simple fact that there is no auto attack makes it more dynamic. You have to click on something for your toon to do something. As a sith assassin, there are A LOT of different skills you have to use at the right time, and some fights can be pretty intense (provided you're not 10 lvl over the quest). The fact that there are a lot of packs of mobs gives you a feel of epicness: You're not struggling with a strong mob. You're struggling with a bunch of medium mobs, which feels better.
    - Combat PvP: As a tank, I like the "taunt" feature, which makes your target do 30% less damage to everyone except you. Other than that, as for the "battlegrounds", nothing really new (it's nicely done though). The fact that the player's level isn't important in battlegrounds is nice.
    - Space combat: Nice rail shooting mini games, with a real star wars feel. Nice thing to do every once in a while. But space combat could be improved I think. I would love group and pvp fights, not in "rail" mode, in addition to what's already there. The fact that you can customize your ship with equipment, like your character or companion is a plus.
    - Group stuff: Nice. Bonus when grouped, social points earned which gives you access to specific stuff (mostly cosmetic, but not only)
    - Navigation: The map is really great, and clear. Even when grouped. Objectives are easy to find (that may be a downside for some of you ;)). - Auction house aka Galactic market: Could be improved. The UI does its job, but it's rough, and a few additions could be usefull. - UI: While good, it should be less "rigid". Checking for procs and CDs is a bit painfull as it draws your attention out of the action, for example. - Client and bugs: quite stable. Some players reported a few crashes in some specific zones that (should) have been fixed with the last patch. I'm level 30 and didn't see any game breaking bug (once, I had to restart a quest I could not validate, that's all)

Overall, while being a little disappointed at first with the graphics/customization, the more I play, the more I feel attracted to it. A lot of nice ideas make a lot of little improvements, which make the game better than others imo. The fully voiced over quests are THE improvement (if you are into that, obviously). There is room for a LOT of great stuff (space combat!!) to come. Re-rolling is eased since the class story line are really nicely done. If you're in to star wars, ans liked kotor/ME games and stories (i.e. you actually enjoy listening to them) then it's your game. If you're more into rushing max level and then grind some stuff for your toon, it might not be the best option for you. For me? I have a BLAST and I'm enjoying every minute of it :)
  80. Dec 20, 2011
    I came on Metacritic today expecting that this game would have insanely positive user reviews, however was left disappointed at the amount of hate being thrown around and a shoddy 5.2 User Score. For convenience, I am going to cut right to the chase. Yes, the gameplay is very similar to World of Warcraft, but that is not a bad thing, especially for people who are new to MMOs. Here is why;I came on Metacritic today expecting that this game would have insanely positive user reviews, however was left disappointed at the amount of hate being thrown around and a shoddy 5.2 User Score. For convenience, I am going to cut right to the chase. Yes, the gameplay is very similar to World of Warcraft, but that is not a bad thing, especially for people who are new to MMOs. Here is why; it is very smooth, easy to adapt to and hits the standard that is expected of MMOs. WoW achieves this, and ToR does as well. Features are expanded on with Companion characters, and new mini-games are included (AKA, Space Battles while piloting your very own starfighter). Where the two games differ substantially is in their methods of conveying story. The Old Republic is completely and superbly voiced over, in true Mass Effect fashion. Do not let people fool you into thinking that this is an insignificant feature, because it isn't. It makes the game tenfold more interesting and engaging. Although the missions are your usual run of the mill "collect three of these" or "kill four of those", it feels like much less of a grind because you are given purpose for doing what you are doing in a way that is engaging (because of the voice acting and decision making features). Bioware have miraculously designed the game to make you feel like you are the focus of it. Your choices carry weight, you grow somewhat connected to your companions and you always feel like you are achieving something. Instead of finding myself completing missions in order to level up (as I have done with every single other MMO to date), I am completing them to see what happens next, as the writing is of a quality you would expect in Mass Effect or Knights Of The Old Republic and always manages to keep you curious. This game is superb in every aspect. Don't let yourself be put off by all of these unjustified negative review scores. This game is definitely not anything less than an 8 out of 10, and in my opinion it hits top scores. Star Wars fans, Bioware fans and MMO fans alike all have plenty of reason to love this game, and very little to hate it. Expand
  81. Dec 20, 2011
    Star Wars: The Old Republic's biggest features are it's class stories, companion, and alignment systems. A special runner-up prize will go to it's crew skills, but I'll get to that later. Bioware's claim to fame as always been it's writing and story. Characters and stories really seem to flow together and I frequently found myself doing quests because I wanted to keep the Imperials at bay,Star Wars: The Old Republic's biggest features are it's class stories, companion, and alignment systems. A special runner-up prize will go to it's crew skills, but I'll get to that later. Bioware's claim to fame as always been it's writing and story. Characters and stories really seem to flow together and I frequently found myself doing quests because I wanted to keep the Imperials at bay, NOT to get to level 20; as a veteran MMO player this astounded me. Your companions are much more than pets. Though they do help in combat, they are also mini-chapters of the story themselves with priorities and personalities. Of course you cannot have a Star Wars game without the mention of the Light and Dark sides of the Force. Your character will travel down these paths frequently becoming either a bastion of good or an unholy terror on the universe. Whatever gripes I have with this game are very minor. In fact, my biggest concern has been the UI customization and that it being implemented in the next content patch. Expand
  82. Dec 20, 2011
    I found this to be one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time. Each class has an engaging storyline that draws you in. It ties the strengths that Bioware is known for to well established MMO concepts. The execution is good, but not perfect. Is this a WoW killer? No. Is this able to stand the test of time as a great game? From what I've seen so far, yes.

I have mostly

I have mostly concentrated on PvE and Flashpoints (Instance group actions). I have found both to be a lot of fun and they don't feel grind'y, which is my largest complaint with WoW.

Regarding balance issues that some people seem to complain about, well, the game JUST got released. There are always some tweaks that need to be made. Give it a short while to test the waters.

I love the Voice Acting. It makes this engaging instead of reading the same text over and over again. Is it perfect, no. Is it more engaging than a game like WoW. Yes.

Everyone has their favourite MMO and everyone wants this to be better. Give it a bit of time to evolve. These things tend to be organic based on how people play it and what they enjoy most. Feedback is the best way to improve this game. For now, I'm enjoying this game for what it is. In a year, my opinion might change.
  83. Dec 21, 2011
    If you go in to this expecting it to be like galaxies you will be highly disappointed. This game has more star wars feel to it than galaxies ever had I love this game.
  84. Dec 20, 2011
    Don't worry too much about the bad reviews. This game has been out officially for 13 hours. Most of the negative reviews here consist of the typical QQ associated with first impressions of new AAA mmos. You'll never get an MMO that's exactly what you want it to be, so don't cry when Bioware doesn't meet your every specification. I've been playing this game since mid-summer beta and it'sDon't worry too much about the bad reviews. This game has been out officially for 13 hours. Most of the negative reviews here consist of the typical QQ associated with first impressions of new AAA mmos. You'll never get an MMO that's exactly what you want it to be, so don't cry when Bioware doesn't meet your every specification. I've been playing this game since mid-summer beta and it's gotten better with every build. The final product is highly polished and offers more than any other MMO on the market. Expand
  85. Dec 20, 2011
    The way people rate games now days is very upsetting. Most people are complaining that this is a wow clone and blah blah blah. Wow is the biggest MMO out there, so of course people are going to mimic it. I like wow and I like this game more. The reason I like this game more is the story elements and voice overs. It is much more engrossing to me. To complain that it is just like wow isThe way people rate games now days is very upsetting. Most people are complaining that this is a wow clone and blah blah blah. Wow is the biggest MMO out there, so of course people are going to mimic it. I like wow and I like this game more. The reason I like this game more is the story elements and voice overs. It is much more engrossing to me. To complain that it is just like wow is ridiculous. I watched many previews of this game before I got to play and I knew it was going to be like wow. If you rate this game for how well they made an MMO then it is a fantastic game. They put a lot of time into the voice overs and the stories of the characters are good. You just have to remember before you buy it that it is an MMO, so if wow was not your cup of tea then dont buy this. If you liked wow and are looking for an alternative this game is perfect Expand
  86. Dec 21, 2011
    Without exception, the old republic is the most impressive MMO i have ever played. With an intense story line unique to each class containing both the feel of the star wars universe and the experience which makes each Bioware game a masterpiece, TOR takes you to places no other MMO could ever hope to take you. Breaking away from the bland, unexciting and monotonus grind fest experienceWithout exception, the old republic is the most impressive MMO i have ever played. With an intense story line unique to each class containing both the feel of the star wars universe and the experience which makes each Bioware game a masterpiece, TOR takes you to places no other MMO could ever hope to take you. Breaking away from the bland, unexciting and monotonus grind fest experience games like world of warcraft replicate over and over again, the old republic actually has depth, story line, and a sound track which really just adds to the appreciation one SHOULD feel when playing an MMO. With very little issues during launch, and 5 x the amount of early subscribers at launch date than WoW, the old republic is well on its way to becoming one of the best MMO's you will ever play. This is truely an MMO as it should be, crew interactions with your partner characters give the game personality which many who have played KOTOR will be familiar with, exciting space battles and a vast map of planets to explore give this game an intense open world feel. Don't listen to the world of warcraft nay sayers, if you're a fan of star wars or even if you're just looking for a decent MMO for a change, pick this game up and you won't regret it. Expand
  87. Dec 20, 2011
    Excellent game in my opinion, tops WoW hands down and i am comparing the two because i have played Blizzard's game for quite some time and liked it.
    Bioware has done an amazing job with the Star Wars IP and i think the Star Wars fans will be pleased.
  88. Dec 20, 2011
    you people are he flat silly. I can't believe the critics..and now i can't believe the users so it's really become just buy it or rent it and try it for myself. everytime a new mmo comes out it's omg a wow clone!! And you people really think WOW pioneered this model? Seriously give me a break!!! You think mmos are somehow going to revolutionize and change everything? I highly doubtyou people are he flat silly. I can't believe the critics..and now i can't believe the users so it's really become just buy it or rent it and try it for myself. everytime a new mmo comes out it's omg a wow clone!! And you people really think WOW pioneered this model? Seriously give me a break!!! You think mmos are somehow going to revolutionize and change everything? I highly doubt it considering todays forms of input so until the tech increases and gets cheaper the model of how our input is taken and translated in game is NOT going to change!!! Also, i played wow from the start and I don't remember it having allll this end game content everyone is fussing about until some expansions came out...and i remember it's graphics were sub par too..but it was fun and it put you in a fantasy world you wanted to be in. That is exactly what swtor does if you are a star wars fan.....and i have yet to see the grind because i'm always doing something new in this game. Tell me this since you wow fanboys are soooo smart. What kinda quests would you have people do in your mmo? LOL!! probably about the same b/c the reality of it is there's only so many varied quest types you can come up with and that coupled with the fact that you must serve up thousands of them for millions of players to enjoy so that things are varied enough they are not fully monotonous is a daunting task in itself. At least a lot of these quests in swtor lend to the story line and the atmosphere which is more than i can say for WOW. MMOs are like wine...they get better with age. The fact that you all are ripping it tells me 1 of 3 things. A: your a hardcore fanboy of WOW and no mmo that comes out within the next 10 years is going to satisfy that itch for something different
    OR
    B: you don't understand anything about human/computer interaction and the possiblities ther are with certain limitations on computing power across the board
    OR
    C: you wouldn't know a good, fun, atmospheric, well built, non launch crashing, engaging game if it punched you in the face (and i've played em all and i must say that this has been the best handled release, and most thought out well developed mmo to ever come out to date taking it for what it is now at release date notwithstanding future expansions)

That's my 2 cents on the topic since all i read nowadays is nitpicky garbage on these user review sites.
  89. Dec 20, 2011
    This one is really nice game. I've had break from MMO's for over 6 months and this one really hits the spot! Thank you for making such a nice atmosphere BioWare! Haven't tried PvP yet, but i aint much of a PvP'er so that is not a problem.
  90. Dec 20, 2011
    A solid themepark MMO with that special Bioware storytelling added in. ToR is a ton of fun. ToR also offers some of the most rewarding MMO questing to date. Each class receives complex class-specific story lines. Most quests reward moral choices with light-side/dark-side points. This is very nice additional element to an MMO.
  91. Dec 20, 2011
    They made a KOTOR (best game ever), but multiplayers. It's all I ever dreamed. I've played a lot of MMOs and it's the first time that I'm interested in the story of quests. I truly don't care if the gameplay is like in WoW, I've played MMOs before WoW and it was already the same. Did players complained about WoW gameplay ? At first I was afraid about graphics when I saw screenshots, butThey made a KOTOR (best game ever), but multiplayers. It's all I ever dreamed. I've played a lot of MMOs and it's the first time that I'm interested in the story of quests. I truly don't care if the gameplay is like in WoW, I've played MMOs before WoW and it was already the same. Did players complained about WoW gameplay ? At first I was afraid about graphics when I saw screenshots, but in fact the game is beautiful, I really love its style. Excellent work Bioware, thanks for all ! Expand
  92. Dec 21, 2011
    I haven't seen end-game yet but from what I have played I'm in love. I have plenty of experience in MMO's as a Disabled Vet I have spent the better part of everyday of the last ten years in one universe or another online. You find any revolutionary gameplay but you also don't see cheap and broken gimmicks unproven in the world of MMO's which can be fun but as with Rift and Warhammer theyI haven't seen end-game yet but from what I have played I'm in love. I have plenty of experience in MMO's as a Disabled Vet I have spent the better part of everyday of the last ten years in one universe or another online. You find any revolutionary gameplay but you also don't see cheap and broken gimmicks unproven in the world of MMO's which can be fun but as with Rift and Warhammer they tend to fall on their face before long. TOR is the first of a huge list of MMO's in which I am looking forward to not just playing every class on both factions but every mastery of every class of both factions. If you enjoy MMO's but are tired of clicking through quest details and randomly running off looking for the highlighted or bullet portions of the objective with no motivation or information what so ever about the reason for your task than TOR will wake you up. Interesting stories unfold with each character that evolve through your leveling with a Mass Effect style dialogue system and excellent narrative performed with spectacular voice acting. Within each faction you still have the option to be "bad" or "good" with dark/light side points that offer unique rewards and character options through your story. Not only is there a story but there is a Universe. Each area dominated leads you off to a new planet and you travel in your own starship with your own entourage who level with you and who's gear customization identical to your own which you can buy, craft or earn through mission rewards. They actually handle all of your crafting and gathering skills should you want to forgo the plethora of nodes you pass on your travels. There are space battles that are a ton of fun and reminiscent of Black Prophecy on rails with rewards in XP for your character and ship upgrades as your ship, like your own gear and that of your followers is just as varied. A Universe opens up right in front of you begging to be explored and each planet offers new landscapes and enemies with large base complexes and hidden artifacts that add attributes to your characters. Along the way or from a central space station all the basics are found; bank, crafting instructors, skill trainers, vendors, quest stations and PvP mission stations. There are also instanced mission areas for groups of 4 all over the place that are heavily scripted stories where everyone participates in the conversations. They are miniature movies played with friends that offer high quality rewards, what else on earth could I possibly ask for now? Nothing, for my appetite is sated at least for a few years to come. There are problems and areas that could use improvement for a jumping off point this MMO has more to offer on day one than many that have been in play for years. Think of what could come from this template which already has so much to offer and you truly begin to see what an awesome MMO we have with TOR. Naysayers beware, the future only holds more for TOR. Expand
  93. Dec 20, 2011
    Perhaps this game is not the most revolutionary, but it is fun. I am not a hardcore player, but I have played a number of MMO's before. This game is different in that the voiceovers for quests do immerse you in the game, but it may not be for everyone. The core mechanics are designed to simple and easy for non-mmo players to pick-up. If you've never played an MMO before or have neverPerhaps this game is not the most revolutionary, but it is fun. I am not a hardcore player, but I have played a number of MMO's before. This game is different in that the voiceovers for quests do immerse you in the game, but it may not be for everyone. The core mechanics are designed to simple and easy for non-mmo players to pick-up. If you've never played an MMO before or have never felt a "part" of the game...check out The Old Republic...casual players that appreciate a story will have fun. Expand
  94. Dec 20, 2011
    SWTOR is a very fun MMO, and I truly love bioware's take on it. I am not a fanboy, I have my gripes about it, but all in all, it is extremely well polished for a launch MMO. as a beta tester for many MMOs including WoW, Warhammer, STO, LOTOR, DCUO, and more I can say that it's launch was very smooth. The game is fun and engaging, with the distinctive bioware feel. conversations let youSWTOR is a very fun MMO, and I truly love bioware's take on it. I am not a fanboy, I have my gripes about it, but all in all, it is extremely well polished for a launch MMO. as a beta tester for many MMOs including WoW, Warhammer, STO, LOTOR, DCUO, and more I can say that it's launch was very smooth. The game is fun and engaging, with the distinctive bioware feel. conversations let you customize your character to light or dark, the combat is fun, if a bit drab, but depending on your class that changes. Clothing and gear looks great, once you leave the origin worlds and your starter gear behind you begin to look the epic warrior you are. does this game have some flaws, yes. Do I think this game is worth it? definitely. I had the standard edition preordered, but after playing the beta for a couple months I upgraded to the CE and I'm very happy with it. Expand
  95. Dec 20, 2011
    ToR is a really polished, deep, well made game that I think is not only a fantastic MMO but is a fantastic SP RPG as well. The story is so engaging and is as well written and voiced as Bioware's single player offerings. Give it a try if you enjoy MMO's or just RPG's you will really enjoy this game!
  96. Dec 20, 2011
    I love it. Cinematic experience, innovative crafting system, awesome visuals, and heroic-feeling combat. There's a lot of room for expansions, but that's why we pay the subscriptions. Would recommend to anyone who liked KOTOR, WoW, and/or Star Wars.
  97. Dec 20, 2011
    Bioware do not disappoint. WoW fanboys are just taking a break from bashing Blizzard and are bashing the greatest current threat to their beloved universe. I am a former WoW fanboy, converted by SWTOR. This game is amazing. First, to combat previous critics: Zones are in 2 instances, you can jump between them freely. The purpose of these is to prevent 400 people in one zone stealing yourBioware do not disappoint. WoW fanboys are just taking a break from bashing Blizzard and are bashing the greatest current threat to their beloved universe. I am a former WoW fanboy, converted by SWTOR. This game is amazing. First, to combat previous critics: Zones are in 2 instances, you can jump between them freely. The purpose of these is to prevent 400 people in one zone stealing your mobs: instead there are 200. Cities etc are not instanced. Server queues are only present because it's launch like ANY OTHER mmo. Infact, unlike WoW launch or other games these servers are not lagging or crashing. Top job Bioware.

Combat is insanely fun in this game. In WoW combat was the same every time, in SWTOR it's dynamic and varies. Mobs have different levels of difficulty, identifiable by the colour graphic around their portrait and 'Strong', 'Elite', 'Champion' texts. The vast majority of items can be traded before bound, and items can be modified to update stats to retain the look of your gear if you so choose.

Great game, check it out yourself.
  98. Dec 20, 2011
    Bioware delivered what they promised to deliver: a bioware-style mmo in the star wars universe. The environments are gorgeous, the stories are fantastic. Group content is fun, companions are useful, and crew skills are far and above the best new feature. This game has forever changed the landscape of MMO design.
  99. Dec 24, 2011
    The people that are giving this game negative reviews are most likely not playing the game or expected TOR to be SWG2.0 or extremely brand new. TOR, since day 1, was announced to be building on the already proven MMO formula that seems to be rooted in the direction of EQ/WoW. Its not WoW "in-space", but its a well-made MMO with a GREAT story. If you enjoyed KOTOR, ME/ME2/DA/DA2 - you willThe people that are giving this game negative reviews are most likely not playing the game or expected TOR to be SWG2.0 or extremely brand new. TOR, since day 1, was announced to be building on the already proven MMO formula that seems to be rooted in the direction of EQ/WoW. Its not WoW "in-space", but its a well-made MMO with a GREAT story. If you enjoyed KOTOR, ME/ME2/DA/DA2 - you will love TOR as it allows you to have all what those single player games offered and adds multiplayer aspect to it. I personally love the PvP, love the flashpoints, love the classes. By no means this game is ideal, but out of the MMO launches that I've been in - this is the best MMO at launch and the BEST launch experience I've ever had (and i've played most MMOs in the past 7 years). I recommend this game if you like BioWare games and if you like MMO games. Otherwise wait for trial version! Expand
  100. Dec 20, 2011
    Excellent game all around. This is the first MMO I've actually been engrossed by! Each class (of which there is eight) has 200 hours of story quests attached to it, and the quests themselves are engaging and objective-based. You won't spend hours killing random NPCs to level, you level through character-developing quests where you make the decisions on how to proceed. The combat is slickExcellent game all around. This is the first MMO I've actually been engrossed by! Each class (of which there is eight) has 200 hours of story quests attached to it, and the quests themselves are engaging and objective-based. You won't spend hours killing random NPCs to level, you level through character-developing quests where you make the decisions on how to proceed. The combat is slick and well-paced; you need to use strategy to succeed. Combat is not too slow, but not too fast that you get destroyed in a minute. The environments are lush, well-built and HUGE. One planet (Coruscant) is so big that I could spend all day there and still not have everything explored. Other planets are similarly large.

In terms of bugs, I haven't run into any. This is surprising for such a new MMO.

I'm also a big PvP fan, and the PvP matches are objective-based which is amazing. Instead of just mindlessly killing everyone, you have to work together as a team to complete objectives. So as far as I'm concerned, this game succeeds on all counts.
  101. Dec 21, 2011

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.