Star Wars: The Old Republic PC

5.9

1. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is great. The combat system is fun and the story driven game play is entertaining. This game is what I have been waiting for.

Great job Bioware.
  2. Jan 14, 2012
    Revisiting my initial review after a month of play; and not much has changed in my views except it's even worse than I initially feared. While the story is nice, it is basically all this game has to offer and makes it VERY linear. There's no incentive for exploration, actually there's not a lot of incentive to do anything but drive the story forward. Technically the game is shabby, theRevisiting my initial review after a month of play; and not much has changed in my views except it's even worse than I initially feared. While the story is nice, it is basically all this game has to offer and makes it VERY linear. There's no incentive for exploration, actually there's not a lot of incentive to do anything but drive the story forward. Technically the game is shabby, the engine is poorly optimised and there are bugs too numerous to list here. The customer service is also terrible, and don't try and leave an opinion on the official forums; you'll be savaged by the rabid 'Bioware/EA defense force' (aka fanboys).. and if you think that isn't bad enough, write any negative criticism and you'll walk a fine line of getting warnings! Apparently they don't mind criticism.. so long as you're not being critical.. I kid you not.. it's actually in their forums t&c's. Expand
  3. Dec 20, 2011
    It was to be expected: many people raging all over metacritic cause BioWare *** this and BioWare **** that. Really, since DA2 they suddenly can't do any good anymore. It would be safe to ignore all that biased hate cause The Old Republic is a very interesting and addicting game. It has a lot of content and plays quite like you know from the KotOR games. Does it feel like an MMO? Yes itIt was to be expected: many people raging all over metacritic cause BioWare *** this and BioWare **** that. Really, since DA2 they suddenly can't do any good anymore. It would be safe to ignore all that biased hate cause The Old Republic is a very interesting and addicting game. It has a lot of content and plays quite like you know from the KotOR games. Does it feel like an MMO? Yes it does, you are hardly ever alone except when you go advance in your personal story and even then you can take someone along. Planets are quite big and there is much to see and to do. Classes seem to be balanced so no problem there. PvP is a bit like WoW. You're playing in battlegrounds but there is also open world pvp for big battles. Only thing I miss right now is anti-aliasing but BioWare said they would throw that in shortly after launch just as more content so there will be plenty of things to do. This one's a winner and could overthrow WoW I'm sure. Having a great time in a Galaxy far, far away... Expand
  4. Dec 20, 2011
    I am 22 lvl and didn`t skip any quests at all, I have to do them becouse voice acting, world design, combat animation, story telling made this expieriens much more interestning. There is bugs here and there, but after all I will think twice before buying a copy of GW2. Think I became a Star Wars fan. Haters are gonna hate.
  5. Dec 20, 2011
    World of Warcraft in space with Voice-overs. That pretty much sums up The Old Republic entirely. Now, is that a bad thing? No, I don't think so. After all, millions of people have played World of Warcraft for six years, so clearly it's a model that works. The voice-overs really add to the experience, the class stories make the leveling process feel like "the game" instead of "that boringWorld of Warcraft in space with Voice-overs. That pretty much sums up The Old Republic entirely. Now, is that a bad thing? No, I don't think so. After all, millions of people have played World of Warcraft for six years, so clearly it's a model that works. The voice-overs really add to the experience, the class stories make the leveling process feel like "the game" instead of "that boring part you're forced to do before you get to max level". There are a few interesting ideas thrown in like the way the map functions, the way even outdoor content scales to match your party size, etc. So yeah, this in summary, good effort. Is it here to stay? That depends on how well they handle the end-game. Expand
  6. Dec 26, 2011
    Disappointing. Very. Servers feel dead due to instancing and planet only chat channels, the storey based focus means you cant play as a group as the amount of people allowed in instanced storey areas is limited. balance is way off with some classes dominating pvp. Lack of MMO features such as group finder. Numerous graphical bugs, random disconnects, and bugged resource nodes, and optionsDisappointing. Very. Servers feel dead due to instancing and planet only chat channels, the storey based focus means you cant play as a group as the amount of people allowed in instanced storey areas is limited. balance is way off with some classes dominating pvp. Lack of MMO features such as group finder. Numerous graphical bugs, random disconnects, and bugged resource nodes, and options menus dont remember settings through loading screens.
    Travel times are high, which feels like a time sink, and yet worlds are very linear, you cant explore at all without hitting an "exhaustion wall". The voice acting is ok, but far too much, you spend alot of time just watching it, or skipping it, and its very repetative using the same phrases over and over and over again, plus the option you choose for dialogue sometime bears no resembalance to what your character actually says.
    Combat feels clunky, and targettting is a nightmare.

All in all its a mediocre single player RPG, with a very bad and poorly implemented lobby feature. Feels half finished and very dated. Servers feel like a dying mmo not a new one.
  7. Apz
    Dec 24, 2011
    It's a decent game if you still like playing MMORPGs. Sort of angry I let myself get hoodwinked by friends again. As far as I'm concerned, MMORPGs will never be "real" games. And what I mean by real games are games that offer actual content and experiences that aren't just tedious and repetitive.
  8. Sep 21, 2012
    let's see here, animations are basically the same stock animations from the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series. Mechanically the game is practically an exact copy of WoW (not necessarily a bad thing, but certainly not innovative in any way). The story and cutscenes are nice in a way and the VA is generally decent to good quality, but it does get a bit tiring after a while. Is this alet's see here, animations are basically the same stock animations from the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series. Mechanically the game is practically an exact copy of WoW (not necessarily a bad thing, but certainly not innovative in any way). The story and cutscenes are nice in a way and the VA is generally decent to good quality, but it does get a bit tiring after a while. Is this a horrible game? no, is it a great game? no. It's a mediocre game. And for me it also feels very much like a single player game with optional multiplayer elements, which may very well be what Bioware was going for. For me, personally that means the game is not worth subbing to.

But the biggest problem, is Bioware's attitude. This game by itself deserves a 6, but Bioware blatant lies, broken promises and just general asshat behaviour towards their customer makes me drop the score down to 1. If they hadn't lied so much about the game prior to release maybe people wouldn't have been as pissed that the game did not live up to what was explicitly promised multiple times.
  9. Dec 25, 2011
    This was a big disappointment. Sure, it's great that Bioware has inserted a ton of voice-acting in the otherwise text-based genre, and a bit more story in questlines. But that's it. For the most expensive game in history? It's a real shame. The graphics are so 2002, the environment is utterly lacklustre. But the worst thing was the combat. You just click on your enemy once then select someThis was a big disappointment. Sure, it's great that Bioware has inserted a ton of voice-acting in the otherwise text-based genre, and a bit more story in questlines. But that's it. For the most expensive game in history? It's a real shame. The graphics are so 2002, the environment is utterly lacklustre. But the worst thing was the combat. You just click on your enemy once then select some hotkeys. Ugh. In a world when a cheap game like Mount and Blade gives you the immersion of timing and aiming your sword-swing while galloping past on your horse, why is it that the most expensive game fails so miserably? A bit of innovation, some modern game-play controls and up-to-date graphics would have made SWTOR a real hit for me, but there's no way I'm shelling out subscription money for a game that could have been made when Saddam Hussein was still ruling Iraq. Expand
  10. Dec 20, 2011
    TOR is a game that is going to split people down the middle. If you enjoy story, taking your time and exploring a wide universe then this game is for you. If, on the other hand, you want a perfect wow clone and instant gratification then you'll probably leave this game after a few weeks.

Like ay game there are currrently some teething issues, in an effort to keep server population BW has implemented a vey unpopular queue system with some servers having a wait time of hours to log oto. Coupled to this are some pretty serious optimisation issues with lots of users reporting low to medium fps on some killer rigs.

In addition to those there are still some minor gameplay bugs, the two biggest at the moment are a buged companion (Kira) and some pretty bad lag in Tarris. Despite this the game still manages to be fun, epic and makes you truly feel that you are the hero. For me it is definitely worth my monthly money and I expect to play this game for many years, after all it can only get better, especially with some of the hinted features still to come!
  11. Dec 20, 2011
    Played for the last 7 days, currently level 35. loving it so far, combat is fun, the story is awesome, loving the voiceovers. There is a lot of group content which i love, i have done 5 different dungeons so far, which is pretty good for a level 30. So far so good!
  12. Dec 20, 2011
    SWTOR is very much a WoW clone, but not of the current version. This game seems to emulate somewhere near the end of Vanilla WoW. The quests are pretty much all "kill x creatures/ kill x boss/ click x items", there really isn't much variation. This, I usually don't mind though. It's a system that has worked multiple times. SWTOR throws a wrench into the equation though, by giving youSWTOR is very much a WoW clone, but not of the current version. This game seems to emulate somewhere near the end of Vanilla WoW. The quests are pretty much all "kill x creatures/ kill x boss/ click x items", there really isn't much variation. This, I usually don't mind though. It's a system that has worked multiple times. SWTOR throws a wrench into the equation though, by giving you absolutely ridiculous distances to run between each objective. Be prepared to enter/exit the same MASSIVE jedi temple 10 times for a single quest line, and the NPC you need is always in the farthest room in the back. While the environments are excellent looking, this is not an enjoyable experience, at all. The PVP Is pretty much the same as what you have all done for years. I played a Jedi consular/shadow, and it literally was my rogue in wow, no different at all aside from a few ranged force powers. The queues are quick though at least! They added voice overs and cutscenes to every single quest, but you can only make "go collect 5 elixirs" so interesting. It's a nice touch, but by level 20, I was just spamming space bar and selecting dark side responses to get through them. The main story quest is neat, but be prepared to grind if you want to focus on just that. Space fights are fun, and a neat addition, but it really doesn't make up for everything else. The game is just so ridiculously linear. If something like this is allowed to be successful, we are doomed to another decade of really bad WoW clones. Expand
  13. Dec 20, 2011
    After the turd that was Dragon Age II I was worried, but with this fantastic game Bioware has won me back. Server queues are a problem for now, but otherwise I don't think I've ever played a game with such engrossing storytelling. For once, I actually give a damn about my character - they're not just some avatar that I stick things on. Praise also needs to be given for being one of theAfter the turd that was Dragon Age II I was worried, but with this fantastic game Bioware has won me back. Server queues are a problem for now, but otherwise I don't think I've ever played a game with such engrossing storytelling. For once, I actually give a damn about my character - they're not just some avatar that I stick things on. Praise also needs to be given for being one of the first RPGs to actually bother with a proper evil storyline, instead of just making evil acts all those that are "not good". The game has a lot of stock MMO elements but these are generally well-done. The UI is imperfect, and needs improvement. Expand
  14. Dec 29, 2011
    It saddens me to see that this game was released this year in 2011. This game was created with the idea to completely reinvent the idea behind MMO's. Sadly, it didn't do anything other than clone WoW with a bunch of chopped up voice acting. There are enough SW fanboys out there that will keep this game afloat for quite some time; but I think that it will die quicker than we think becauseIt saddens me to see that this game was released this year in 2011. This game was created with the idea to completely reinvent the idea behind MMO's. Sadly, it didn't do anything other than clone WoW with a bunch of chopped up voice acting. There are enough SW fanboys out there that will keep this game afloat for quite some time; but I think that it will die quicker than we think because it's not the MMO that most people were expecting. Expand
  15. Dec 21, 2011
    While the game does include some minor issues expected of any MMO during its infancy, many of those expected are minor or completely absent. The story, from what I have seen, is excellently written, the sound is very well done, and the graphics (while an issue of some debate) are beautiful. The game can run even on lower end machines (I run an AMD dual core 3Ghz with 4Gb RAM and SapphireWhile the game does include some minor issues expected of any MMO during its infancy, many of those expected are minor or completely absent. The story, from what I have seen, is excellently written, the sound is very well done, and the graphics (while an issue of some debate) are beautiful. The game can run even on lower end machines (I run an AMD dual core 3Ghz with 4Gb RAM and Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 512Mb low profile) And even on my settings if shadows are turned off, I can run the game on high settings. While the game is very similar to many MMOs with features like hotbars, quests, instanced dungeons and PvP, and also has a way of making these features feel new and fresh. The voice overs making the quests feel meaning full rather than yet another pointless slaughter of some creature. NPCs feel more alive than other MMO's as they have a personality and story, and PvP matches, while currently limited, have interesting twists like "Huttball" with an announcer that makes comments about the match. The character customization is somewhat lacking compared to some newer MMO's but is superior to its major competitor, World of Warcraft. Unless you are absolutely set on having very immense customization options to alter every last freckle on your characters face, this should not bother you. Phasing is heavily used, but in my personal opinion, it is used well. Unlike World of Warcraft that require lockstep questing in order to maintain phase with friends, The Old Republic will have multiple identical instances of a zone to prevent excessive overcrowding (although sometimes quest areas are still busy) Your characters story quests are also instanced so that you are not waiting in line for ever other character of your class to complete it. The Old Republic seems to have found a good balance between maintaining a high population, area crowding, and quest completion ability by players. Flashpoints (or dungeons) are very entertaining with entire stories that can play out in multiple ways depending on how the group chooses to go about it. Whenever there is a conversation each party member gets to chose a response and whoever wins the roll says their choice. Some of these lead to different outcomes but your choice is the only one that affects dark or light side points. So you do not have to worry about being the only guy with a heart who doesnt want to flush innocent people into space and losing alignment for it.

Items are highly customizable stat wise allowing you to level your items up with modifications. So you can use the same armor for a long time if its high quality by adding new modifications to it. The weapon customization also affects the color of your blaster bolts or lightsaber blade. If you use a yellow color crystal your bolts or blade is also yellow, and there are various colors to chose from. All in all this is an extremely well done MMO that many will love. The one thing that may turn some people away is the fact that the journey to endgame is designed to be just as fun and important as endgame so you are really cheating yourself if you rush past it. If you want to hit endgame ASAP and could care less about story and the RPG aspects then this may not be your game. If you want to play and MMORPG that actually is an RPG and not a shadow of that title, or are interested in the Star Wars Universe, you will be very pleased with this.
  16. Dec 25, 2011
    I am rooting for any mmorpg that takes immersion seriously, but as of now do not believe story alone can accomplish this. The frequent instancing creates a ghost town feeling. The pasted on, wallpaper backgrounds in each zone do not allow for players to interact with the environment as freely as in many other mmorpgs. To me, each zone feels exactly the same as the last, turning left andI am rooting for any mmorpg that takes immersion seriously, but as of now do not believe story alone can accomplish this. The frequent instancing creates a ghost town feeling. The pasted on, wallpaper backgrounds in each zone do not allow for players to interact with the environment as freely as in many other mmorpgs. To me, each zone feels exactly the same as the last, turning left and right through a tunnel/dungeon environment with different backgrounds. Although the story is fun, and does create the sense of being in a movie, the initial excitement for me wore off mid-level, leaving a real feeling of claustrophobia. Compared to Dragon's Nest and Vindictus this game can be called an mmorpg. But compared to those games already established in the genre SWTOR rates low as an mmorpg specifically due to the lack of an open, persistent world. Expand
  17. Jan 22, 2012
    This is basically a WoW clone without the elements which actually made WoW successful. SWTOR offers nothing new to the MMO genre. Story and voice acting are excellent but they do not justify the rest of the game being a broken mess. PvP is totally unbalanced and was broken beyond any repair after an exploit in patch 1.1 which Bioware actually refuses to fix. The character control isThis is basically a WoW clone without the elements which actually made WoW successful. SWTOR offers nothing new to the MMO genre. Story and voice acting are excellent but they do not justify the rest of the game being a broken mess. PvP is totally unbalanced and was broken beyond any repair after an exploit in patch 1.1 which Bioware actually refuses to fix. The character control is unrensponsive and there is delay when using abilities not related to latency or framerate issues. The game is poorly optimized and performs poorly even on high end PCs. I recommend staying away from this game until it is improved. On it's current state it is simply not worth the montly fee it has. Expand
  18. Jan 30, 2012
    Terrible game that has major bugs, database, game engine and severe performance issues. The bottom line is that SWTOR is nothing more than a cash grab by LA/EA/Bioware under the Star Wars IP.

People who purchase & subscribe to this game are willingly paying money to beta test a product that was released a good 1 - 1.5 years ahead of schedule. I'm somewhat curious as to the mentality of

I'm somewhat curious as to the mentality of people showering this game with accolades. Would you people also tolerate automobile makers, doctors, food producers, etc. releasing half-a**ed, unfinished products on the market and call them excellent as well?
  19. Dec 20, 2011
    This is one of the best MMO out there. Yes it does need work but people are comparing this to wow. This is not wow. This is bioware... They have awesome cutscene. and game play is unbelievable detail. I've been both in beta and now enjoying the finished product. I see a lot of people rating this game low... Aka most are wow players or elistest. Starwars the old republic and otherThis is one of the best MMO out there. Yes it does need work but people are comparing this to wow. This is not wow. This is bioware... They have awesome cutscene. and game play is unbelievable detail. I've been both in beta and now enjoying the finished product. I see a lot of people rating this game low... Aka most are wow players or elistest. Starwars the old republic and other starwars game are all about the community and fan base. Bioware is a developer who has reached the high level. Yes every company has there flaws but I'm giving this game a 10. Expand
  20. Dec 20, 2011
    This game does not deserve 0 or 1, think it's a great game with a good story with different perspectives, solid gameplay even though it is very similar to wow, i have been 3 different classes and have enjoyed them all. The endgame is obviously lacking a bit as any new mmo usually is and defenetly will need some work but overall I believe it's a solid start. I also do not mind theThis game does not deserve 0 or 1, think it's a great game with a good story with different perspectives, solid gameplay even though it is very similar to wow, i have been 3 different classes and have enjoyed them all. The endgame is obviously lacking a bit as any new mmo usually is and defenetly will need some work but overall I believe it's a solid start. I also do not mind the environments, never enjoyed walking a million miles in wow to grab a stupid quest item. I am going to give this a ten to even out all the haters unfair 1"s and 0"s Expand
  21. Dec 20, 2011
    The game would have been less disappointing if Bioware hadn't hyped it up as much as they did. An incredibly bland and unoriginal experience, one that mirrors vanilla WoW with lasers and lightsabers. People hate hearing that, but it is true. Let's get the very few positive aspects of the game out of the way. The voiced dialogue is rather nice, and the ambient music was in keeping with theThe game would have been less disappointing if Bioware hadn't hyped it up as much as they did. An incredibly bland and unoriginal experience, one that mirrors vanilla WoW with lasers and lightsabers. People hate hearing that, but it is true. Let's get the very few positive aspects of the game out of the way. The voiced dialogue is rather nice, and the ambient music was in keeping with the Star Wars universe. The personal story was also very well done, the light side path of any Empire character is extremely interesting. The issue with that however is the way it is spaced out. In order to progress in the only interesting part of the game, you need to grind and do meaningless boring quests to achieve the necessary level in order to progress. It's an awful mechanic meant to keep you playing and paying that money each month. The space combat is boring, the PvP is awful, the instances are poorly executed. The game is an extremely boring train wreck. It is a single player game that Bioware tried to stretch out as much as they could for a subscription fee, like too little jam spread over too much bread. Expand
  22. Dec 22, 2011
    I haven't played that much since the early access, I got a level 15 character now and I must say unlike most other blockbuster releases over the last couple of months this game really got me into it - and i don't have any strong feelings towards star wars or any science-fiction universe.
    of course its core is nothing new, but the all the people playing are really trying to get a nice experience out of it.
    the graphic's are likeable, though the engine isn't always as smooth as it could be. i guess i'm gonna spend a lot more hours on the several planets and the space between...
  23. Dec 26, 2011
    Zones are instanced, gameplay is otherwise identical to WoW, pretty much. The game pretty much bores me to tears. I gave it chance because it was Bioware, but after Dragon Age 2 and now SWTOR, I honestly wish Bioware would go under so I remember them in a somewhat positive light.
  24. Dec 21, 2011
    SW: TOR is a very formidable adventure/theme park MMORPG, with a lot of polish and a great sense of atmosphere. If you enjoy games like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, or Rift, and you love Star Wars, then TOR is a no-brainer. Bioware has taken elements of their best-selling single-player games and brought them into the MMORPG landscape, with great success. Gone are theSW: TOR is a very formidable adventure/theme park MMORPG, with a lot of polish and a great sense of atmosphere. If you enjoy games like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, or Rift, and you love Star Wars, then TOR is a no-brainer. Bioware has taken elements of their best-selling single-player games and brought them into the MMORPG landscape, with great success. Gone are the days of reading walls of text, and now there are interactive discussions that help shape your character and tell a complete story, on par with most singleplayer games. There hasn't been a benchmark in the industry like this since the WoW juggernaut and if the smooth Early Access Launch is any indication, Bioware is going to be a top MMORPG developer for years to come. Expand
  25. Dec 21, 2011
    This is an awful game. Completely void of the Star wars franchise and of KotOR, everything has been retconned removing any form of consistency with bland, lifeless performances, yes, the voice acting may be good but in this day and age the lack of facial movement, limb movement, any movement at all outside of the 3 pre-created 'talk' animations - there is no emotion at all. This isThis is an awful game. Completely void of the Star wars franchise and of KotOR, everything has been retconned removing any form of consistency with bland, lifeless performances, yes, the voice acting may be good but in this day and age the lack of facial movement, limb movement, any movement at all outside of the 3 pre-created 'talk' animations - there is no emotion at all. This is essentially WoW 2.0. There is nothing new, nothing has changed. The art style is simplistic and clearly rushed for economic reasons with generic textures and bland colour palates. The raids/fights are dull and laborious and the atmosphere of an mmo is not there. The worry is that in a months time once everyone has managed to complete the joke of a story, the 'economy' i.e. auction house will collapse and it'll be barren. Good riddance I say - If you really must buy this, play the pathetic story which even a 5 year old could foresee then cancel your subscription. Sad excuse for an MMO in 2011, absolutely atrocious. Expand
  26. Dec 24, 2011
    Despite really wanting to enjoy this game, I find it hard to even just log in and play the beginning levels. Graphics are really poor, combat is tiresome, the classes are uninspired and the quests are just the same old thing as every MMO before it. If this were a MMO from 2000 it would be passable, but for one from 2011 it's shockingly bad.
  27. Dec 20, 2011
    Voice acting is very good for a MMO game. Gameplay is fun and story is great. Flashpoint are fun for some, others feels it needed more work. Some boss fights feel as though they made no sense and your fighting away wondering why they did what they did... Down side is they could have waitted another month or two still on the bugs and fixes. (nothing new here) Im a level 35+ jedi alreadyVoice acting is very good for a MMO game. Gameplay is fun and story is great. Flashpoint are fun for some, others feels it needed more work. Some boss fights feel as though they made no sense and your fighting away wondering why they did what they did... Down side is they could have waitted another month or two still on the bugs and fixes. (nothing new here) Im a level 35+ jedi already since early launch. So getting exp is way to fast and too easy and you can not explore the whole map of the zone. You die if you try. Yes you heard me. you die.... takes the exploring feel out of it and feels restrained. For these two reasons i gave the game a 8. For a Starwars game. this is the best i played. Expand
  28. Dec 20, 2011
    Bottom line on TOR is that if you love BioWare style storytelling, and don't absolutely loathe traditional themepark MMO mechanics, you will probably like this game, maybe even love it. But if you think story doesn't belong in MMOs, or themeparks suck, look elsewhere.
  29. Dec 20, 2011
    Beautiful storyline and beautiful graphics Lucas team did a superb job. Currently leveling a Sith warrior and so far it is enjoyable. Questing is fun one minute you're on planet and the next deep in space. Haven't encountered any PVP yet, I am a level 21, so far the dungeons have been great I am fighting great Jedi knights known in them movies with you and a group of random people. As farBeautiful storyline and beautiful graphics Lucas team did a superb job. Currently leveling a Sith warrior and so far it is enjoyable. Questing is fun one minute you're on planet and the next deep in space. Haven't encountered any PVP yet, I am a level 21, so far the dungeons have been great I am fighting great Jedi knights known in them movies with you and a group of random people. As far as professions, you don't have to worry you have slaves that can work for you 24/7, so you don't have to be picking on herbs have your slave to do it. So, far it is a fun game and can't wait for end content raiding, world bosses, and PVP SAAAAAN! Expand
  30. Dec 20, 2011
    This is a Milestone for the MMO Genre! Bioware has done a fantastic job, creating great storyline, sublime action in dungeons (witch in WOW tended to be boring times to time), great possibilities when playing with your friends as well! people tends to have WAY high expectations, that the graphs should be over the charts, all story no "hack-and-slash" quest.. but no an MMO needs that, andThis is a Milestone for the MMO Genre! Bioware has done a fantastic job, creating great storyline, sublime action in dungeons (witch in WOW tended to be boring times to time), great possibilities when playing with your friends as well! people tends to have WAY high expectations, that the graphs should be over the charts, all story no "hack-and-slash" quest.. but no an MMO needs that, and Bioware has done this in a great manner! it is a great MMO, with an even greater story! Expand
  31. Dec 20, 2011
    I played KotOR and am a huge fun of Bioware games.
    Given this, i have been really disappointed at the late games Bioware has been releasing, both story and game play wise. Now i understand why. All the good writers, artists and game developers were working on SWTOR.
    I played KotOR and am a huge fun of Bioware games.
    I was really skeptic if the kotor style would work as a MMO. The thing is, the MMO is still there, but the kotor game feel really makes all the difference in the world. After playing this jewel it will be very difficult for anyone to go back and play another MMO.
    It still has a few flaws, like bounty hunter and smuggler story lines are not as good as the others, the crafting system is under powered, etc... overall it still gets 9, and that's because i am picky!
  32. Dec 22, 2011
    It is laughable to see some of the scores of 2 or 0 for this game. This would indicate that you believe this game is among the worst games available and that is absurd. This is a solid and fun MMO that repeats something that were done before in other MMOs like WOW (quest structure and to some level combat) but provides a different game as well through other elements (Storylines, voiceIt is laughable to see some of the scores of 2 or 0 for this game. This would indicate that you believe this game is among the worst games available and that is absurd. This is a solid and fun MMO that repeats something that were done before in other MMOs like WOW (quest structure and to some level combat) but provides a different game as well through other elements (Storylines, voice acting, and to some degree combat). If something is done well why not take elements of that and reapply them? People's expectations are so ridiculously high if you believe this is a disaster of a game. Did you expect to log in and get to play 20 different races, 30 different classes, and have graphics that resembled a Lucas Arts film? Did you ever think that perhaps the best method, and the one every MMO game uses is to start off small and work up to things like additional races and dungeons. Also note to people, WOW did not create the click a button on your UI back and forth combat structure nor did it create the quest structure of kill this or go fetch that. Games like Everquest and Ultima did this long before. If you take the game for what it is, it is highly enjoyable. Right now the game is more about the journey with storylines and morality points than power leveling to end game content which is all WOW is. You cannot put the cart before the horse. Did you want Bioware to come out with 15 different end game raids right away when most people won't even get to 50 for awhile? No MMO has ever done that and it makes no sense. There will be updates with new end game content as time progresses and more and more people get there. Combat to me is fun and fast paced. Is it ground breaking? No, but that doesn't mean it is not fun. If this game remains the same in a year than people have room to complain but for now you can't get mad because it doesn't have all the refined elements that a 6 year old game like WOW now has (does anyone remember vanilla WOW? It was a lot of fun but not exactly earth shattering either). Also everyone assumes that this game has set out to destroy WOW by being so much better that it robs WOW of its fan base. Maybe the game wants to offer something that appeals to casual WOW players and a new fan base of people who are tired of playing a WOW game whose sole purpose is to get to end game content so you can raid for 6 hours with arrogant, rude, asses, who act like the rulers of their little fiefdoms because their dps meter is higher than yours. It is a just a game people and if you relax and enjoy it, a very fun one. Stop expecting it to be a world shattering work of art that changes the cultural landscape. If you are a fan of Star Wars and MMOs this is a very fun game you should definitely try it. If you are a 3 time a week raid leader on WOW or someone who believes video games should be on the same artistic level as a Thomas Pynchon novel then save your money. Expand
  33. Dec 24, 2011
    It amuses me to no end how we are not allowed to not enjoy this game. Those giving 10s and complaining about us having different opinions are just trolls is are just wearing their Naboo-tinted glasses, refusing to see anything potentially wrong. These are the same people who think that including a character like Jar Jar Binks in the movies was a much better idea than curing cancer,It amuses me to no end how we are not allowed to not enjoy this game. Those giving 10s and complaining about us having different opinions are just trolls is are just wearing their Naboo-tinted glasses, refusing to see anything potentially wrong. These are the same people who think that including a character like Jar Jar Binks in the movies was a much better idea than curing cancer, simply because he's in the Star Wars movies. That said, I was unimpressed by the game. Everything seemed "samey" to me. The voice acting was alright, and the different story lines are okay, but that's just the thing. Pursuing the different story lines, is, for the most part, an individual endeavor. It gives me the feel of this being a Single-Player game disguised as an MMO. The instances annoy me, though the queues not so much. However, the scattered, unmoving NPCs detract from my overall so-called "immersive" experience. Also, I hated walking through Tatooine to get to a point I needed to be, only to walk through a sand people camp that immediately triggered the "kill 0/20" quests. So far, there's also been no endgame. Really, people, are you that protective of your favorite universe that you refuse to admit that there may be some flaws? Expand
  34. Dec 20, 2011
    SWTOR is a very mediocre offering that who's only claim to fame is a voice overs. The mechanics of the game are dated, the graphics are dated and glitchy, and the world itself seems to be tomb-like. Let me explain more on why the world seems like a tomb. Though you may see an indicator stating there are over 100 people in your particular area, for some amazing reason you only really everSWTOR is a very mediocre offering that who's only claim to fame is a voice overs. The mechanics of the game are dated, the graphics are dated and glitchy, and the world itself seems to be tomb-like. Let me explain more on why the world seems like a tomb. Though you may see an indicator stating there are over 100 people in your particular area, for some amazing reason you only really ever see about 5 to 10 other people. Also the worlds lack any fauna and talkative npcs outside of quest givers. It also lacks a day and night cycle, so depending on the planet you are on it is always day or always night (I felt no feeling of a passage of time).

Anyhow, the developers seemed to have squandered there budget on voice talent (which is pretty good in some instances and poor in others). It is unfortunate for me that the most expensive online game created yet, is also the most shallow one I've experienced. This offering truly feels like a quick cash grab, instead of an attempt to make a game that is lasting.
  35. Dec 24, 2011
    It makes absolutely no sense to me that people are calling this game polished. The story is sloppy and poorly written, the graphics are horrible both on a technical and artistic level, suffering from texture pop-in and lighting issues, etc. if this were ANY other game from ANY other company it would be getting slaughtered in reviews. But noooo this is bioware, they can do no wrong. TheIt makes absolutely no sense to me that people are calling this game polished. The story is sloppy and poorly written, the graphics are horrible both on a technical and artistic level, suffering from texture pop-in and lighting issues, etc. if this were ANY other game from ANY other company it would be getting slaughtered in reviews. But noooo this is bioware, they can do no wrong. The game shipped without tons of essential features that an mmo needs, but oh wait, this is basically a single player rpg with an excuse to gouge star wars fans. The hype is not earned. At all. Expand
  36. Dec 20, 2011
    The game play in not game changing if you'll pardon the pun, but the sum of the game is greater than the parts. The excellent storytelling reinforces the pacing of the missions and instances, it keeps everyone in the story. I hated questing with friends in WoW, I missed all the story and always felt pressured to click through the walls of text and dash off after my companions. The voicedThe game play in not game changing if you'll pardon the pun, but the sum of the game is greater than the parts. The excellent storytelling reinforces the pacing of the missions and instances, it keeps everyone in the story. I hated questing with friends in WoW, I missed all the story and always felt pressured to click through the walls of text and dash off after my companions. The voiced dialogue and cut scenes fix that problem. Also the introduction of a social skill that you level through doing group dialogue keeps all the talking interesting from a game mechanics perspective. So, strong single player. Strong multi-palyer. Even the PvP which I have rarely even liked in other MMO's is quite fun. It feels more like a FPS to me, particularly the kind of ridiculous Hutball. I'm only 12 levels in so I can't speak to the end game, but so far I have to say that yes, it's a lot like WoW but the core game is better in pretty much every way. Expand
  37. ref
    Dec 20, 2011
    A modest attempt from BioWare. Star Wars: The Old Republic isn't an awful game -- but it is a game we have all played before. This is basically every other MMORPG with voice overs. Quests are what you expect -- fetch 10 of this, kill 20 of these. It is one of these MMO's. The thing people like to bring up is how it is voiced -- the voice work for these fetch quests for the most part isA modest attempt from BioWare. Star Wars: The Old Republic isn't an awful game -- but it is a game we have all played before. This is basically every other MMORPG with voice overs. Quests are what you expect -- fetch 10 of this, kill 20 of these. It is one of these MMO's. The thing people like to bring up is how it is voiced -- the voice work for these fetch quests for the most part is average and not inspiring. Where this voice acting does immerse you is in the class stories. Most of the class stories are interesting, while others are predictable and subpar. A step above Dragon Age 2 writing quality, in my opinion. The classes themselves, are alright. All of these abilities you will be using should be familiar as they mechanically similar to every other MMO out there. This game has dungeons, raids, standard run of the mill features in an MMORPG. Basically, SWTOR is "meh". The voice acting and story does not make up for this reused and worse done game play that we have all seen before. Expand
  38. Dec 26, 2011
    Basically the game is wow with voiceovers and WAY WAY less features...it's sad that a game like RIFT came out with more features/customization than this blockbuster that has been hyped forever did...the even sadder part is all of the stuff people complain about now, are things they had been complaining about in beta for almost 2 years....the future of this game really scares me. It's goodBasically the game is wow with voiceovers and WAY WAY less features...it's sad that a game like RIFT came out with more features/customization than this blockbuster that has been hyped forever did...the even sadder part is all of the stuff people complain about now, are things they had been complaining about in beta for almost 2 years....the future of this game really scares me. It's good for 1 play through for a KoTR type experience, but after that, it's pretty dull....don't even get me started on how stupid advanced classes are (locking you out of 50% of your class, why do i want to play the same damn character again, with the same exact story, sharing a lot of the same exact skills and even a whole talent tree...yet you want to say it's a totally different class....yeah right, more like they already getting started on Rehasing like wow did.) Expand
  39. Dec 21, 2011
    I see the smear campaign has begun. I will try to be as subjectively objective as I can. This is no Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, or Shadowbane. It is as much a theme park game as every other "AAA" MMO to come out in recent years. It looms as a shadow over other titles, such as Age of Conan or Star Trek Online. It is supremely better than anything modern except for the one datedI see the smear campaign has begun. I will try to be as subjectively objective as I can. This is no Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, or Shadowbane. It is as much a theme park game as every other "AAA" MMO to come out in recent years. It looms as a shadow over other titles, such as Age of Conan or Star Trek Online. It is supremely better than anything modern except for the one dated title that everyone likes to compare it to... I won't even bother saying it because we all know which one.

Does it share elements to this grossly successful "other" title? Of course it does. Just like "it" did, The Old Republic has copied elements from what worked in other, successful MMO titles. Is it a clone or a copy? I would have to say maybe, but it is something new and refreshing in many other ways. It is a theme park MMO... and that type of MMO hasn't changed much since Everquest (except to remove that pesky sandbox, which many of us still lament).

Does it deserve a 1 or a 0? Of course not. It's better than Dragon Age 2, and even IT didn't deserve a 1 or a 0. I doubt any of the people posting such scores have played much of the game, and if they have then I'm not sure why they rate it so low. 1 or a 0 is reserved, in my mind, for a game that is unplayable or total garbage. That isn't even close to SW:ToR. Here's my quick breakdown:

The Good:
    1. Voice Acting is Sufficient. You won't hear anything as well-done as the Mass Effect series, but it is adequate... and in places, pretty good.
    2. Stories are Adequate. The story lines in this game won't compete with a half-decent novel, but they are as entertaining as your run-of-the-mill prime time show.
    3. Group Questing is Actually Entertaining. I have always hated being in a group for questing in any other MMO. It's a penalty, curbing reward possibilities and just making everything take longer. The conversation and dialogue with NPC's makes grouping with a friend much more enjoyable.
    4. Instancing is at least Well-Done. I hate instancing... with a passion. Something ought to be said, though, about the way it was done in a way that is less immersion breaking here. Walking through a glimmering force field into a private instance with NO load screen is a step forward, to be sure.
    5. Art Quality is Good. Sure, the graphics aren't top-notch (see "The Bad"), but the environments are often beautiful nonetheless. You don't need Arkham City graphics to be pretty (Arkham City was beautifully ugly), and ToR shines here. Worlds like Taris and Nar Shadda offer stark changes in artwork that is easy to appreciate.

The Bad:

1. Character Creation is Severely Lacking for a Modern MMO. In the days of character models such as those in any Cryptic game, Aion, or even EvE's new generator, the customization in SW: ToR's character creation system is pretty much a joke. The mesh/textures on character models are also very "flat".
    2. Engine is Poorly Optimized. There are many posts on the forums about bad FPS. Personally, I run an AMD x4 Phenom II Quad-Core 3.2ghz, 6gb Corsair RAM, and a GTX 580 (GTS250 for Physx, which doesn't apply here)... and I'm lucky to average 30fps on max settings (ironically the same average as people with far lesser systems). Considering the lack of technically advanced graphics, something is amiss here.
    3. The first several worlds are very "corridor-ish". The worlds don't seem very big, there is little exploration at the onset of the game. You are funneled from point A to point B to completed objective H. 4. It doesn't feel "alive" the way an MMO should. The only critters in the world are occasional HUGE monsters that are too busy grazing to attack. This seems like laziness, to me.
    5. Sometimes combat does seem clunky, sometime it doesn't. Most of the time I have fun with it, and I suspect a lot of people's issues stem from timing issues with abilities that can be corrected at some point.

These are just my highlights. There are other issues I have, such as it not being sandbox (they always said it wouldn't be, so this was expected), and lack of immersion things like being able to sit in chairs or sit on the ground without looking constipated. Despite the flaws, there are many good qualities here... so don't let the zero's, one's, and two's on here dissuade you from trying the game. At the end of the day, I have fun when I log on... for now. I'm quite certain, having been in the beta since early on, that I will get my money's worth before I stop having fun. Give it a try.
  40. Dec 21, 2011
    It's funny how critics are praising this game and sore WoW faithfuls are mocking it because they fear the power of the Dark Side. This game is not a WoW clone. It's an entirely different entity in itself. Naturally it has aspects of WoW but EVERY MMO will. The fact is: WoW fans are scared that their reign at the top of the MMO world may soon be coming to an end.

How can WoW compete

How can WoW compete with the vast lore and rich story telling that can only come from the Star Wars Universe? How can it compete with Space missions and space battles, planet hopping, brave and cunning Jedi Masters, ruthless and powerful Sith Lords, and quirky droid companions? How can it compete with a fanbase that has existed for over 30 years! It can't, so naturally, the WoW faithful are scared. Their is a new player in town and these gamers have to get over it and accept that they had a run like no other game in history, but it is time to pass the torch. Better game play, graphics, an epic soundtrack, and great mechanics.
  41. Dec 21, 2011
    The amount of negativity I see is staggering and honestly very unsettling. Many of the reviews are not only unfair, they seem written by people who have either never played a MMORPG before or actively find reasons to complain and give low scores.

A lot of people come off a previous Star Wars game, Star Wars Galaxies which was a totally different monster - it was a "sandbox game" which for those who don't know the terminology means a game that you can make your own. You could build a virtual city and live in it. Make a store and sell things. The worlds were huge and empty and built for players to create their *own* community. TOR is not a "sandbox game" - However it is the next evolution of the the online Star Wars genre. TOR takes the best aspects of several MMORPGs and combines them to create a totally new yet familiar beast. For example, some people are complaining at the lack of options during character creation. This game has a ton more choices then another successful game, World of Warcraft. That game has one body choice. TOR has 4. Then you get to the face and have a vast number of choices to craft your avatars face.

Tor is like a corvette with a custom engine. They researched many of the things that "worked" in multiple MMORPG's, tweaked it, and improved upon it!

The most amazing aspect of the game is the storytelling - not only is it all voiced (which is mind boggling), every storyline is well written and makes my experience in TOR one of the best I've had online. You have the potential to play through EIGHT different storylines (4 Sith Empire and 4 Republic) and you can also play a male or female character (with its own voice).

The game adds something I have not seen before in any game - Flashpoints! Flashpoints are missions that are performed in a group and offer conversation choices that each player has a chance to chose. Once chosen, virtual dice are thrown and whoever gets the highest roll is the response the game uses! It makes for some very exciting and fun roleplaying (even if you aren't a roleplayer!) where the attitude of the party (and sometimes the story) changes as you make your way through the Flashpoint. At one point we had a choice to kill an important character or allow that character to live! Hope you roll high!

Anyway, this game is amazing and the launch was one of the smoothest launches I have seen for an MMORPG in years. The developers promise tons of updates and with the money they are making with the successful launch of TOR and I believe they will deliver.

Finally, despite the negative online responses here, there is a VAST majority who are having a blast with TOR and are currently playing the game as opposed to the very vocal minority that has found a soapbox to stand on and complain.
  42. Dec 21, 2011
    I haven't been able to play this game enough, each class is amazingly fun, the plot lines are addicting and I have to know what else happens next. I was amazed at how well the pvp feels, you can jump right in at level 10 and still make a difference against level 30's and 50's etc. The crafting is somewhat unique for MMO's and while it feels slow its not annoying and I can see how it willI haven't been able to play this game enough, each class is amazingly fun, the plot lines are addicting and I have to know what else happens next. I was amazed at how well the pvp feels, you can jump right in at level 10 and still make a difference against level 30's and 50's etc. The crafting is somewhat unique for MMO's and while it feels slow its not annoying and I can see how it will be down the line will be engaging without feeling like a grind.

I feel this game is well worth your time and money, very fun and with the entire thing scripted with voice acting it feels like you're really immersed in the game.
  43. Dec 25, 2011
    This game not only was and is awful, but (if you don't like giving websites your credit card info) requires $120 non-refundable before you even start playing. The multi-player interaction is severely limited and, while fully-voiced quest conversations are a new twist, this is very annoying for people who are not interested in what is being said all the time or who don't have the time toThis game not only was and is awful, but (if you don't like giving websites your credit card info) requires $120 non-refundable before you even start playing. The multi-player interaction is severely limited and, while fully-voiced quest conversations are a new twist, this is very annoying for people who are not interested in what is being said all the time or who don't have the time to sit there and wait for the dialogue to play out. The universe itself is very limited and linear and combat is no better than other MMOs. I will not be surprised at all if the User Score for this game continues to decrease rapidly until the game stops requiring a subscription. After years of development, this is a sad excuse for the newest MMO. Personally, I have requested a full refund from the game's costumer service. Expand
  44. Dec 20, 2011
    Everyone knew what this game was gonna be like and now that it's released and not what they like, people act shocked and try and give it a bad name. It's a great game and only going to get better.

Also i read a guy who gave a zero saying it's a WOW clone and how Star Wars Galaxies didnt copy wow, which proves people dont know what they are talking about seeing as Star Wars Galaxies came out before WOW. But honestly great game worth playing.
  45. Dec 20, 2011
    This is a very well done WoW like mmo. The combat is a little more active, but not by a great deal. This is a game that feels like a MMO made 10 years ago. It is missing most of the modern MMO player convinces like a group finder, dual specialization, and several other features.. This is more like 8 single player games than a real MMO.

Now the launch issues are numerous, 2 to 4 hour

Now the launch issues are numerous, 2 to 4 hour queues. Origin issues many people bought the game and were never set cd keys. CD keys not shipping with boxed copies of the game. There is a whole world in the game that will instantly crash the client and put you at the end of a 4 hour queue over and over. And the kicker? This has been known for more than a week and was never affress at all. CS when you speak with them have no idea what you are even asking them to do, and it can take up to 6 hours to get a phone reply, 2 hours in live chat, Forum you will be ignored, and I was told the Email support had a 4 week backlog as of tonight. Tons of technical issues, this game was not ready for launch. It is sad because a little more work and I think it could be great.
  46. Dec 20, 2011
    This is the game for you if you like mmorpgs but are bored of world of warcraft., very inmersive and fun, bioware has to do lots of thing to improve it, but as it is now already is a very solid game. My score would be a 8, but seeing that people only use 0 when they want to criticize i have to give a 10 for it to balance out.
  47. Dec 20, 2011
    Star Wars the old Republic is a good MMORPG experience focused on storytelling, plot and involving characters, Through the use of unprecedented amounts of voice-acting and in-game cut-scenes the player is immersed in the game to degree not found in other MMO-type games. Often when playing I found that I cared more about advancing the plot than the rewards or XP I gained from them, a hugeStar Wars the old Republic is a good MMORPG experience focused on storytelling, plot and involving characters, Through the use of unprecedented amounts of voice-acting and in-game cut-scenes the player is immersed in the game to degree not found in other MMO-type games. Often when playing I found that I cared more about advancing the plot than the rewards or XP I gained from them, a huge improvement over old-style MMO's, where quests and grinding were just the means to reach endgame and left little to no impression on the player. At launch SWTOR is a solid game with some deficiencies in UI customization, hopefully future patches will remedy this. Expand
  48. Dec 20, 2011
    The only MMO on the market that is worth a subscription fee. A true masterpiece from BioWare. The attention to detail and the unique aspects of the game are mind blowing. I am hooked.
  49. Dec 24, 2011
    I'll begin with character creation. I was expecting a hefty load of options in the creation of my character such custom face shaping. Also I have to point out that the choice of facial hair is beyond a joke and it also looks so bad, almost like it's super glued onto the model's face. You can either have no beard and moustache and or an ugly thick one -- there is no in between. The sameI'll begin with character creation. I was expecting a hefty load of options in the creation of my character such custom face shaping. Also I have to point out that the choice of facial hair is beyond a joke and it also looks so bad, almost like it's super glued onto the model's face. You can either have no beard and moustache and or an ugly thick one -- there is no in between. The same goes with the bodies, infact there is not one normal looking body for the jedi archetype -- it's either too skinny or too bulky.

Not including the true cinematics, the gameplay graphics are deceiving. After creating my character I get some true CG cutscenes like you would see in a motion picture (money at this point that would have been better spent) which is great. Then I get to the cutscenes that appear to be the game's graphics engine.

My character lands into a spaceport with crisp, colourful graphics -- im thinking woah, they really went all out here as well as with the voice acting which is superb. Shortly after being told what I need to do and who to talk to, I am thrown in to a world that looks hideous and completely different than the rich vibrant cutscenes.

Compared with the mission/NPC cutscenes, everything just looks flatter and less vibrant. I was also informed after walking around the environment just how linear and lifeless everything is, something I wasn't expecting from a game this long in development.

The envrionments outside the cities are also very linear. I found myself being restricted to certain paths where there was hilly terrain. Why can't I just walk up and around this? Dragon Age had the same issues too. This game has been hyped so bad that alot of KOTOR fans will think it's for them, but after EA/Bioware/LucasArts grabs their money they realise it's just another MMO, nothing special.
  50. Dec 20, 2011
    The Old Republic is not a horrible game. It's just so mind-numbingly mediocre, average, bland. Bioware is one of the finest gaming companies on the planet with a proven track record. How could they release a game that not only feels unfinished in some areas, but also a game that disappoints you from the start?

Character creation is a joke. There are only identical humanoid species

Character creation is a joke. There are only identical humanoid species available, same body, different skin. I was expecting at least a few alien species in addition to much more customization. The Star Wars universe is so rich with alien beings, why settle for virtually unknown "races" that all look the same? Questing, boring. Combat, boring. Bland, boring environments, graphics and animation. Horrible UI, no really, you can't even scale it. No surprises whatsoever, nothing grabs your attention. It's a derivative, cookie-cutter mmo if I ever saw one. It should have been released 5-6 years ago.

The ONLY thing that sticks out as good are some of the storylines and voice acting is really good. True to form, Bioware delivers on that count. But it simply doesn't blend well with the traditional mmo parts. The quests feel detached from the storyline.
  51. Dec 20, 2011
    For years many gamers have watched and waited for a game that would pique their interest in the same way WoW did (and for many continues to) did years ago. The MMO market has been a dreadful one, and Bioware promised alot with this game. Did they deliver? Early signs are pointing, for the most part, yes. The game is extremely well put together. The zones flow well, the story clicks along,For years many gamers have watched and waited for a game that would pique their interest in the same way WoW did (and for many continues to) did years ago. The MMO market has been a dreadful one, and Bioware promised alot with this game. Did they deliver? Early signs are pointing, for the most part, yes. The game is extremely well put together. The zones flow well, the story clicks along, and the combat is solid, albeit traditional. If WoW expanded upon Everquest in all the right ways, then I believe SW:TOR continues this trend. MMO veterans will feel comfortable immediately with the UI and combat, but before you walk out, give it a chance. The story is what Bioware has been pushing HARD for this game, and at first I was skeptical. Let me tell you, the story in WoW never interested me, and I am an AVID reader to boot. Not the case with SW:TOR. I find myself "stepping into my character's shoes" quite constantly. The voice overs add immersion and, get this, Bioware did a FANTASTIC job of making sure that even if you are grouped, voice overs can be seamless. The voice acting is not Hollywood level, but for a video game, it is certainly above standard. Bioware is famous for their storytelling in games, and SW:TOR absolutely shines here. Gameplay wise the game strikes a fair balance between fairly easy and challenging. The game will require you to group at times to complete certain missions, many of which your companion will not be enough to make up the difference of lacking another player's help. I welcome this return of group questing. Fear not though, group quests are not overdone. There are far more solo quests than group quests, and while the solo quests are fairly easy, they are not insulting to the player's intelligence. That may be because I am still learning my class. :) Those who claimed this would be a "single player MMO" are only imposing that on themselves at this point. The most fun I have had in game has been in groups, and I find FREQUENT opportunities to play with others.

The instances are fun and click along at a nice pace, here again, the story does wonders. Watching your group members gasp at you when, despite all of their choices, you win the conversation roll and choose a dark side option will never get old. It creates alot of opportunity for discussion and friendly banter. Great stuff. The instances are very do-able, but again, I didn't feel like my intelligence was insulted.

Crafting feels traditional in some respects, but contains a twist: you can send your companion to gather materials and run "crew skill missions" for you while you quest, group in an instance, or just chill out in a city socializing. This is a GREAT addition. I've never met someone who enjoyed farming. There are still many nodes in the open game world for players to collect for materials as they quest as well. Again, Bioware striking a great balance. That really is the name of the game here: balance. Bioware didn't re-invent the wheel by any means, they kept it simple and traditional in many ways, but the spins they have put on it are refreshing and fun. If you are looking for a game that is unlike any MMO ever, then sadly, you will probably be disappointed, the game is by no means a "WoW clone" anymore than WoW was an "EQ clone." Good ideas build off of one another, they don't exist in vacuums. So why the 7 and not a 10 or a 9? Well, because the game can improve in many ways. There are still many bugs afflicting players, and Bioware's support team has been less than transparent about them. The UI cannot be customized, not even resized, and quite frankly, I find it maddening and unacceptable. The game could use better group forming tools, as right now you simply much spam a chat channel for a group. High res textures are also not working. The game still needs alot of love, and I don't think anyone will deny that if they take an honest look at the state of things.

Overall, the game is solid, and I truly believe it has great potential to see success. Personally I am having a BLAST, and haven't enjoyed an MMO this much since my first journeys in WoW back in 2006. Great jobs Bioware, now just keep up the good work. That's going to be the hardest part... and the true test.
  52. Dec 20, 2011
    hold on a sec, i see where this is going those people who are calming to reach max level, gave the game a rating of 0 on the first day, is that even possible (not even possible if you got access to the game before 5 days of release)?. those people who compares the game with XXX gave a rating of 1 or 2. those people who reached level 32 gave the game rating of 0(it's been 6 hours since thehold on a sec, i see where this is going those people who are calming to reach max level, gave the game a rating of 0 on the first day, is that even possible (not even possible if you got access to the game before 5 days of release)?. those people who compares the game with XXX gave a rating of 1 or 2. those people who reached level 32 gave the game rating of 0(it's been 6 hours since the game has been released). those people who are complain about a game being a grind gave the rating of 0-2, note to self if you are going to play an MMO it's a grind. those people who say it's a clone of another XXX mmo, every MMO has been an clone of others, get your brains examined. any one who compares this game to WOW gave a rating of 0. and most of those people never even played SWTOR. Expand
  53. Dec 20, 2011
    I've been playing MMO's for years now and I can easily say TOR is the best I have ever played; it's such a refreshing change to an increasingly stale genre, the story-lines for the individual classes offer very unique experiences to each other and the full voice over for all the quests is extremely satisfying. I found the PVP combat to be very balanced, no class was superior and theI've been playing MMO's for years now and I can easily say TOR is the best I have ever played; it's such a refreshing change to an increasingly stale genre, the story-lines for the individual classes offer very unique experiences to each other and the full voice over for all the quests is extremely satisfying. I found the PVP combat to be very balanced, no class was superior and the various PVP game modes are not only fun but more rewarding than other MMO's PVP content is, you can level up solely from grinding PVP if you want to. I knocked 1 off the score for 2 reasons; the first is the shocking space combat, which in my opinion could have been a browser based mini game as opposed to an advertised feature of the game, it's not that it isn't enjoyable it's just very very basic, the second is the sometimes dodgy animations, /cry is basically your character covering his face with his hands for instance. The crew aspect and owing your own ship reminded me a lot of Bioware's Mass Effect series, which of course isn't a negative point at all, I've played the game for nearing 100 hours now and I have no intention of stopping; this is one hell of a polished MMO that deserves every success it gets. Expand
  54. Dec 20, 2011
    I made this account for the sole purpose of reviewing this game. It is such an amazing product by bioware, who have a near flawless track record (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). Many people expect this to be just like WoW, but it is not. There are so many things right with this game, it's unbelievable. First, the biggest thing about this game is the way it immerses you, unlike manyI made this account for the sole purpose of reviewing this game. It is such an amazing product by bioware, who have a near flawless track record (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). Many people expect this to be just like WoW, but it is not. There are so many things right with this game, it's unbelievable. First, the biggest thing about this game is the way it immerses you, unlike many other MMOs. Because of the - you guessed it - voice acting, it feels like you are playing a single player game, but with friends. The people who are giving this game poor reviews most likely are the ones that hate change. Trust me, this is a game not to be missed. Expand
  55. Dec 20, 2011
    Everybody who only knows WoW will say this game is bad. But anyone with more vision and who like good stories will say this game is good. I have been playing during Early Access and beta and I love this game. The mixture of traditional WoW mechanics, with KOTOR mechanics, Mass Effect and Dragon Age make this game a great one. The ambientation and feelings are great.

I recommend this game

I recommend this game to everyone willing to taste something new in MMO world.
  56. Dec 20, 2011
    I participated in a couple beta test weekends and the early access; fortunately I have had no issues with queues or lag or anything whatsoever except your occasional bug. Its launch day and all I see on the forums are aggressive comments and hateful reviews; which I say are horribly exaggerated. Compared to other MMO's launched SWTOR has been a smoother experience. I enjoy the gameplay andI participated in a couple beta test weekends and the early access; fortunately I have had no issues with queues or lag or anything whatsoever except your occasional bug. Its launch day and all I see on the forums are aggressive comments and hateful reviews; which I say are horribly exaggerated. Compared to other MMO's launched SWTOR has been a smoother experience. I enjoy the gameplay and I have always loved the Star Wars franchise. Bioware's take on the Star Wars universe has brought renewed life to the franchise and if we are all patient and 'real' fans the game will get better. I rate the game at 10 to oppose the low scores that I see here and other sites cause those are biased opinions made out of the spirit of the moment. I like the story, I like the dialogues, I like the operations& flashpoints,space combat is not that thrilling but maybe they will change that, pvp and Huttball, loads of content ( what else do you want from an MMO if you dont like the franchise then play something else dont **** about it after only playing a couple hours....). I will be playing for the months to follow to be sure even just to play every character to see the story to the end. Go Bioware and Lucasarts! and yes I also love Blizzard but it doesnt mean we cant share the LUV! Expand
  57. Dec 20, 2011
    Just fantastic. Don't buy into the hate, enjoy this game for what is it ... one of the most enjoyable bieoware games yet. It wins on just about every level with great quests, fantastic PVP, and huge production values
  58. Dec 22, 2011
    very fun game , i'm level 21 and loving it! I also have a level 17 Trooper and he is a lot of fun too!
    I love the Jedi Sage and I want to roll a Jedi Shadow soon!
  59. Dec 20, 2011
    Personally I like this game, it doesn't really do anything out of the ordinary but does some good things for the genre. Questing feels immersive, as a sith sorcerer every quest feels like I'm doing something to help win a war. The voice acting is above average, but it's new for the MMO genre. I can't count how many times I've accepted a quest in wow, and went right to the bottom where itPersonally I like this game, it doesn't really do anything out of the ordinary but does some good things for the genre. Questing feels immersive, as a sith sorcerer every quest feels like I'm doing something to help win a war. The voice acting is above average, but it's new for the MMO genre. I can't count how many times I've accepted a quest in wow, and went right to the bottom where it said "Collect x number of y". SW:TOR doesn't leave you feeling detached.

The main quest for a sith seems to be pretty good so far, I'm level 20 on the 3rd planet. Combat is smooth, but not as smooth as wow's is. It seems to have a little bit of delay and just lacks that polished fluidity.

Crafting/Collecting skills are half great, half a major pain. You can set your companions to do crafting or collecting missions, which really streamlines your leveling. The problem is it take forever for them to do it. One minute to craft a belt? Come on now. It also doesn't seem easy to find materials for things you need to craft.

The game has more faults, while there's a lot of group quests, there doesn't feel like there's a lot of bosses or instances thus far up to level 20. Feels like there's less opportunity to group up in instances. It leads me to wonder if I decide to play Jedi 3 months down the road if there will be anyone around to do the group quests.

The worlds don't seem very big during the first 2 planets, although I'm on the 3rd one and it feels much larger then the previous two. But even still for an entire plant to feel like it's the size of one zone in wow (think duskwood is just about korriban). The difference is SWTOR puts you in a lot of tunnels and "sub zones" for quests.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5/10, it has potential but unless they come up with some endgame this is just going to be a leveling ordeal, in which case they should have just made it single player.
  60. Dec 21, 2011
    I've played this game since August in BETA and was blown away at first. While the graphics are stylized, they can be breathtaking, just looking out over a city I had just visited on top of a cliff, well it can be staggering, the music, well that's fantastic too. You really have 8 single player story lines here as all the different classes have individual class stories, but really thereI've played this game since August in BETA and was blown away at first. While the graphics are stylized, they can be breathtaking, just looking out over a city I had just visited on top of a cliff, well it can be staggering, the music, well that's fantastic too. You really have 8 single player story lines here as all the different classes have individual class stories, but really there are 2 totally different games; Empire and Republic.

It's standard MMO game play, coming from SWG the interface is nice and easy. The fighting, well you seem to be executing the moves in real-time, unless you look too deep into the system, so it's tight and fun. The quests are on another level to anything I've played before, yes it's all standard kill things, collect things etc.. but it's done in a meaningful way. The story grips, you as the voice acting and animation of the storylines is fantastic. There are lots of twists to the plot and it plays like an interactive movie, really beyond any other game I've played.

I started Beta as a Sith Warrior, I didn't care to play this at live, so not spoiling the experience, well I quickly started enjoying being an evil so and so. After a while you unlock your companion (and get five more along the way). They are suited to what your character needs most, a healer, a tank or dps. They really are great in combat and have been written with fantastic dialogue. My first companion was Vette, very similar to Mission from KOTOR in many ways ;) You can have a lot of fun with Vette if you're evil but it came to a point where I didn't want to disapoint her, she changed my playstyle. Each companion earns affection by the choices you make and have their own stories, quests etc.. it's all very well done but what did you expect from Bioware. If you're in to a bit of Bioware romance, you can romance your companions and several NPC's. In particular the Jedi and Sith Warriors go around the galaxy getting more action than Kirk!

Is it an MMO? Well there are plenty of people to meet if you want to, you can also just play by yourself and group up for the heroics and flashpoints. Really suits my casual, dip into to MMO but still have freedom to do my own thing.

I always said I would tire of playing when the story lines ran out, well five months on I'm playing Sith Warrior for the second time and still having a blast. You can play the game so many different ways and while your actions don't have vast consequences if you look very deeply, they do seem to. You can play several quest by fihgting or you can negotiate your way out of many a fight if you want to.
    bugs, well I haven't seen too many since August.. it's very polished, yes they are there but nothing that will get in your way.

If you love Bioware and Kotor, give it a try. I guarantee you will enjoy no matter what your playstyle is. You may not be into the MMO thing but you can play it as a single player game for a month and take it from there.

There really isn't anything more fun than fighting a mob on top of a cliff or bridge somewhere like Alderaan. You're running low on health and suddenly the cooldown on your force choke or force push comes back in to play... pick the baddie up by the throat with force choke, then force push him over the bridge to his death....
  61. Dec 20, 2011
    A solid MMO with that special Bioware storytelling magic added on. SWTOR is a ton of fun and offers some of the most rewarding MMO questing to date. The addition of complex class-specific storylines and moral choices with light-side/dark-side points adds an element to the MMO questing experience that is unlike any other game.
  62. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is a disappointment. That being said It's not a bad game. First the good points... The sound is one place the game really shined, but sound alone doesn't make a great game... and when I say sound I mean ALL of the sound. The music is very good, the voice acting and cut scene sounds are top notch productions as far as I've played in the game. If top end sound is a priority forThis game is a disappointment. That being said It's not a bad game. First the good points... The sound is one place the game really shined, but sound alone doesn't make a great game... and when I say sound I mean ALL of the sound. The music is very good, the voice acting and cut scene sounds are top notch productions as far as I've played in the game. If top end sound is a priority for you give this a try, it really does show where the future is headed and what can be done with a good budget and being willing to put forth some budget on the sound. The crafting system is also an improvement over the sit for 15m and watch a bar repeatedly zip to the top 400 times system that has become common place in many games. The downside is the combat and feel of the game is pretty much carbon copied from another large aaa game with a sci-fi skin pasted on it. The choices you have with your character feel contrived and limited as far as real skills go. The instancing level the game exhibits with 300 carbon copies running around doing exactly what I am doing being "the one" is a complete disappointment and is highly immersion breaking. The problem is, in my aspects it copied from another aaa game, but failed to innovate on the same formula. After the previous attempt with making a mmo with this ip it's easy to understand Bioware wanted to be more conservative, but they exceeded the bounds of reasonable in the degree of conservatism they are exhibiting. People have been playing games using roughly the same formula and style since the mid/late 90s and many are beginning to tire of the exact same formula. The biggest issue is that the game lacks the innovation you would hope to see in such a big aaa title. The game also lacks the polish you feel in the older games in the genre that it is similar to. The game already feels dated because of the many choices they made with regards to combat and core game play with many of the free to play games showing better feature sets even. However, if you're looking for a very well designed game that is largely a sci-fi re-skin or you're looking to be a part of the star wars universe as your primary concern, look no further-- this is the game for you. If you're looking for something different, something unique, and a change in functional way a game plays, this is not the game for you it fails completely on that front. Expand
  63. Dec 21, 2011
    I'm giving it a 2. It gets 2 points for the story and voice over. The audio work is fairly well done. Even though the stories themselves (went to level 35 and 22 on another) are really hokey. It is I suppose better than what mmos have offered in terms of story advancement before. And all of their resources appear to have gone into this. If that's your thing, this game is for you. HoweverI'm giving it a 2. It gets 2 points for the story and voice over. The audio work is fairly well done. Even though the stories themselves (went to level 35 and 22 on another) are really hokey. It is I suppose better than what mmos have offered in terms of story advancement before. And all of their resources appear to have gone into this. If that's your thing, this game is for you. However If you are looking for a next gen mmo, this game is probably not for you. It really is the most blatant wow ripoff to date in a star wars skin. I got up to 35 before calling it quits. I really wanted the game to be great, but it just falls flat. The worlds are very, very small. There is literally no free exploration, it is so linear you are always on a very narrow path. For an mmo this is a game breaker. This is a world I want to live in for years. If there is nothing off the beaten path from leveling, what am I supposed to do after I reach max level? I need places to explore and this game does not deliver that. It feels like a single player game aside from seeing a person running around here and there. But the way they have instanced the city areas, as well as pve areas, it seems no more than 50 people can be in an entire zone together. So the world feels pretty lifeless and empty. The UI functions and that's about it. You cannot customize it at all. Not even scale it. No macros, no mods, not even a target's target. Character customization is terrible. I can not believe how limited it is. Galaxies, a game that came out 7 years ago was so far beyond what came out yesterday. Bioware should be embarrassed. And I wasn't even a galaxies fan. The combat is same old wow combat. Animations are ok, but I wouldn't call them good. Lightning looks cool, not much else seemed worth writing about. The pvp is terrible, so much crowd control it's silly. Clearly an afterthought and nothing to offer for a player looking for good pvp. From what I've heard from the max level guys, there is no endgame content. One raid (8 people) with a couple bosses. That's it. Enjoy farming that one raid for 6 months or so until they release something else. This game innovates on nothing. It took wows model and added mass effect type story. They combined 2 games and came out with a terrible mutant of an offspring. It's clunky, predictable, and stale. It's now two days old and I have never seen a game that is about to bomb as fast as this one. Congrats Bioware. I think you are going to set a record with this game. Biggest disappointment in video game history. I know it is for me. Believe it or not I was a fanboy until I started playing it 3 days ago. Now I'm an ex player, who will never be purchasing a Bioware product ever again. Also I decided after writing this review, the game is getting a 0. It was a 2 for story, but after realizing how bad it is as a whole writing this, it doesn't even deserve that. What a mess of a game. Expand
  64. Dec 24, 2011
    One of the most colossal disappointments in gaming history, but then again it's bioware--I wasn't expecting much. For the amount of money and hype poured into this thing the result is absolutely pathetic. It has all of the innovation and design of an outsourced Chinese mmo but made in north America. All this does differently from wow is a poorly written and poorly presented story.One of the most colossal disappointments in gaming history, but then again it's bioware--I wasn't expecting much. For the amount of money and hype poured into this thing the result is absolutely pathetic. It has all of the innovation and design of an outsourced Chinese mmo but made in north America. All this does differently from wow is a poorly written and poorly presented story. Cutscenes and dialogue wheels actually make me feel less involved with anything going on, not that I care about the story in any capacity. Quite simply this game isn't worth your time any more than a game that you could download for free. Expand
  65. Dec 20, 2011
    This game perfectly fits the downward spiral of quality bioware is pushing out these days, ME2 â
  66. Dec 22, 2011
    I had 8 days of free early access due ot cancelling my pre-order but EA forgot to remove my early access code so thanks EA. I'm glad I did, had a good 8 days but it's not worth £45 + a monthly sub. It should be F2P as it doesn't offer anything innovating to make a subscription worthwhile. It really is WoW with a StarWars skin. It's a good game in it's own right but not goodI had 8 days of free early access due ot cancelling my pre-order but EA forgot to remove my early access code so thanks EA. I'm glad I did, had a good 8 days but it's not worth £45 + a monthly sub. It should be F2P as it doesn't offer anything innovating to make a subscription worthwhile. It really is WoW with a StarWars skin. It's a good game in it's own right but not good enough to justify a subscription. Expand
  67. Dec 20, 2011
    Rethinking my earlier review somewhat, I think a two is a bit harsh. A five is more in line with what you should expect from TOR. Mediocrity. It is simply a clunky WoW clone (in space!), with instanced zones, "romances", and tons of voice acting. I genuinely wanted to like this game, and for it to actually be the "WoW-killer". Instead we got a mediocre single-player game with MMORethinking my earlier review somewhat, I think a two is a bit harsh. A five is more in line with what you should expect from TOR. Mediocrity. It is simply a clunky WoW clone (in space!), with instanced zones, "romances", and tons of voice acting. I genuinely wanted to like this game, and for it to actually be the "WoW-killer". Instead we got a mediocre single-player game with MMO features that feel tacked on somehow. There's not much I can say that other reviewers haven't pointed out already. Bioware and EA took an IP with a ton of weight behind it, and a rabid fan base, and instead of making something that could've been huge and game-changing, as far as the MMO genre goes, they played it safe and lazy, frittering away time and absurd amounts of money, deciding that a WoW clone would be the easiest way to cash in on both the IP and the sense of familiarity that comes with being yet another WoW-wannabe. The only reason that I'm giving the game a 2 and and not a 1 is that the music really is excellent. My suspicion is that many of the 10s on here are either blind followers of all things Bioware, trolls, or shills for Bioware hiding behind false identities (which has happened before). Expand
  68. Jan 3, 2012
    Well... It's World of Warcraft, that's for sure. But I think even then, there are things that The Old Republic tried to do WoW-style but didn't quite make it. I really hate the fact that world PvP is so meaningless or unbalanced (level 10 vs level 50, yay!). World PvP made WoW really good, and the death of world PvP in WoW kind of killed it for me entirely. But here in TOR, it's dead rightWell... It's World of Warcraft, that's for sure. But I think even then, there are things that The Old Republic tried to do WoW-style but didn't quite make it. I really hate the fact that world PvP is so meaningless or unbalanced (level 10 vs level 50, yay!). World PvP made WoW really good, and the death of world PvP in WoW kind of killed it for me entirely. But here in TOR, it's dead right from the get-go, which was a major let down. Plus, I think the most meaningless parts of WoW's endgame were kind of copied and pasted right into TOR, which also kind of ruined it for me.
    I thought the storyline was pretty weak, and then towards the end the story just kind of... dies off instantly, never to return. Personally I don't think trying to include story in an MMO is a good idea, and this game might justify that idea. The story feels more meaningless to me when it tries to "connect" with me, because every other single player in the game has had the exact same experiences. I am not a legendary Jedi who holds the fate of the galaxy in my hands, me and the other 50,000 players all are. I'm not really going to discuss the canon of the story, because I think it is Bioware's choice if they want to pretend KotOR 2 didn't exist. It was a good game, but I can accept it being non-canon. A lot of people were mad at Revan's place in TOR's story (don't worry I won't spoil), and rightfully so. It was a major disappointment, I wish it was handled differently.
    The thing that really made me stop playing was THAT LAG, MAN. I just can't take it anymore. To have everything I do be delayed by almost half a second is frustrating, and to have it happen consistently is maddening. Of course, that is more of a server thing than the game itself, and perhaps in the future the servers will be upgraded, so this might end up being irrelevant.
  69. Dec 26, 2011
    A truly mediocre experience. If you want WoW with a different name, play Rift, as it is an infinitely better constructed game than TOR. This game has the quality of pre launch World of Warcraft with the storytelling of Dragon Age 2.
  70. Dec 24, 2011
    The game itself is ok as mmoâ
  71. Dec 25, 2011
    This game is not an MMO, the hole world is instanced, creating a rather empty feel when you play it. You'll run into other players but not a whole lot. Once too many players enter a zone another instance is created and you'll always have the same feel. While that may be good for immersion, it is blasphemy in MMO country. The game revolves around the story. While that story is often quiteThis game is not an MMO, the hole world is instanced, creating a rather empty feel when you play it. You'll run into other players but not a whole lot. Once too many players enter a zone another instance is created and you'll always have the same feel. While that may be good for immersion, it is blasphemy in MMO country. The game revolves around the story. While that story is often quite good, and as a single player game it would certainly have disappointed a whole lot less. However as an MMO you just have to label it the failure it is. If you're look for a Star Wars game, then this is one. If you're looking for an MMO, let alone a good one, better pass on this one. Expand
  72. Dec 25, 2011
    A very bland single player game trying to be an MMO. Bioware should have just made Kotor 3 and focused on story and cutscenes, instead you get a worse version of Kotor mixed with a worse version of WoW. The combat is very uninspired, the voice acting is pretty mediocre, and the conversation aspect of getting quests is interesting but the quest themselves are just fetch and kill 30 of thisA very bland single player game trying to be an MMO. Bioware should have just made Kotor 3 and focused on story and cutscenes, instead you get a worse version of Kotor mixed with a worse version of WoW. The combat is very uninspired, the voice acting is pretty mediocre, and the conversation aspect of getting quests is interesting but the quest themselves are just fetch and kill 30 of this quests. If you enjoy the story you will enjoy playing through the game, but as far as an MMO, it is a watered down WoW in every aspect. Expand
  73. Dec 21, 2011
    From the beginning, it was clear to me that all of BW's hype was directed towards one goal: producing an MMO that would be more like Knights of the Old Republic in gameplay and style than the traditional MMO. In that, I think they have come closer than any other MMOG. If you like the single-player RPG, you'll appreciate SW:TOR. The questing is actually more like Mass Effect, with fullFrom the beginning, it was clear to me that all of BW's hype was directed towards one goal: producing an MMO that would be more like Knights of the Old Republic in gameplay and style than the traditional MMO. In that, I think they have come closer than any other MMOG. If you like the single-player RPG, you'll appreciate SW:TOR. The questing is actually more like Mass Effect, with full voiceover and a somewhat limited 2-3 response system. I find I miss the more extended conversations you could have in KotOR, and even ME (using the "left side" of the dialog wheel that could give you more info rather than make character decisions on the right).

So, if you are looking for the "traditional MMOG experience"--focused on raiding, endgame, and PvP, you might find it lacking. It has those, but it certainly isn't a distinguishing element of the game. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a KotOR/ME kind of game, you will likely find it engaging.

So far, I find the questing fun and engaging, with some character's stories a bit better than the others (have only played two main classes so far). There are 4 main classes in each faction (Republic/Empire), with unique stories for all. However, the side quests are shared among all classes.

So far, I've noted the lack of what feels like "grinding" (I've gone into the early 20s with one character), and I've seen very little need to "farm" mobs (though I did a little at times to get that little extra XP to level). If this keeps up (and I was told it does pretty much up through the 40s), this is in itself unique in MMOGs--having fun while leveling? Incredible :)

And a final note for the hardcore gamer: I am seeing a lot of subtle complexity in the ability system that one needs to master to maximize your character. It's not conducive to having a strict rotation, and you are constantly having to manage your resource pool and activate abilities based on the special effects that sometimes get triggered from other abilities. So here's a place for you to show off your l33t performance :)
  74. Dec 21, 2011
    Bioware is the best at storytelling, and this is no exception. The Old Republic looks and feels like Star Wars, and is, while not unique in the MMO genre, very good. It has elements from many popular games, and the development team is working hard to improve things every day. The graphics are so much better than many MMO's on the market today. It's hard to make something everyone canBioware is the best at storytelling, and this is no exception. The Old Republic looks and feels like Star Wars, and is, while not unique in the MMO genre, very good. It has elements from many popular games, and the development team is working hard to improve things every day. The graphics are so much better than many MMO's on the market today. It's hard to make something everyone can play, but BioWare accomplished it. I think the timeline they picked is perfect. It's a good compliment to KotOR and doesn't step on K1's toes, nor does it interfere with the movies' timelines. I look forward to the future and can't wait to see what comes next! Expand
  75. Dec 21, 2011
    After having played a variety of MMO's since Everquest II, I have to say that Bioware has indeed achieved something unique. The Old Republic gives the immersion of a single player game, while allowing more traditional social options, such as PVP and grouping for PVE content. Currently, the social options are pretty limited, the biggest issue being no guild banks. Emotes typically found inAfter having played a variety of MMO's since Everquest II, I have to say that Bioware has indeed achieved something unique. The Old Republic gives the immersion of a single player game, while allowing more traditional social options, such as PVP and grouping for PVE content. Currently, the social options are pretty limited, the biggest issue being no guild banks. Emotes typically found in most MMO's are sadly lacking here, and the lack of armor customization found even in free-to-play MMO's is surprising, though they promise this in a future update. The combat system is fairly fluid and easy to learn, though there are sometimes too many options. There is no auto-attack feature, so it feels very interactive. The launch was smoother than any game I've ever seen or been a part of. Even during the evening hours of launch day, there was no wait time to get on most servers, and this was not apparently from lack of players. I highly recommend SWTOR to anyone looking for a good MMO experience. There are a few rough edges, but a surprisingly small amount considering the state most games ship these days. Expand
  76. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is not all bad but overall not good. The soloplayer content is good for a mmo in my opinion. The content is story driven and keeps you moving. The group content... well saying just lacking would be an understatement. This is easily the most solo player focused mmo game in the genre. It is very obvious little went into designing content for anything above small group, and evenThis game is not all bad but overall not good. The soloplayer content is good for a mmo in my opinion. The content is story driven and keeps you moving. The group content... well saying just lacking would be an understatement. This is easily the most solo player focused mmo game in the genre. It is very obvious little went into designing content for anything above small group, and even that is limited. Really it is a mmo only in respect to alot of people being online at once... all other aspects of what you expect from a mmo are missing.

Graphics wise the game is honestly really poor, it appears very little of the massive budget went into building a large world with unique and detailed elements. Even if realistic is not the goal ascetic wise the graphic related things such as texture detail and polygon counts are horrific for a late 2011 release. Animations are in the same boat. The graphics and animations might of been acceptable in 2006, but every other AAA mmo released since WoW easily outclasses ToR in the areas of Graphics and Animation.

Voice overs are decent, better then any other mmo and most offline games I have played this is a plus. The storytelling lacks compared to the rest of the Knights of the old republic games. And the use of cut-scenes are overused for mundane events and just drags out the "Kill X mobs" quest. The whole lightside/darkside with quest gives a false sense of choice since the outcomes are the same no matter what you choose.

Combat is a near perfect WoW clone same with the UI. While this is not a bad thing, It is not revolutionary or even remotely different. If you are tired of the WoW playstyle well this is more of the same in that respect.

Instances are way overused for things that honestly have no reason to be instanced, and exploration is limited in the zones.

In conclusion:

If you are a Starwars and a big WoW fan you can probably get some enjoyment out of this game. If you are a Starwars Old Republic fan but not a mmo fan you will be applauded by what you see. If you are a mmo fan but not a Starwars fan you will probably play for awhile but leave once the new mmo feeling goes away.

Those tired of group focused mmos should give this a try it might be up your ally. But for those wanting the group/guild focused mmo you should play another title and stay far away from this one.

This game is still an infant atm, and no mmo should be counted out especially at this early stage, but this is currently a very unimpressive mmo, if it can even be called a mmo, compared to what else is out there. This game does not even close to live up to the rest of the Knights of the Old Republic series. BioWare has a lot of work to do and very little time if they do not want to lose the big population they started with.
  77. Jan 22, 2012
    Like others have said. This game is a failure.
    It has identical properties to WOW. And there is little reason to play.

The voice acting gets old and boring after lvl 10 and its the same old grind over and over again.

Zero reason to make the switch. GW2 is worth waiting for I think.
  78. Dec 20, 2011
    They promised me content equivalent with ~10-20 masseffect. They promised great story. They promised heroic battles. All i got was a yet-another-mmog with boring gameplay (go kill 20 beasts, etc), bad story full of cliche'. I was lvl 45 when i cancelled my subscription.
  79. Dec 31, 2011
    I wish to retract my former review. After reaching max level, my guild cleared all the end game content in one night. Absolutely unacceptable, and coupled with the fact that Ilum is completely broken, this does not bode well for SWTORs future
  80. Dec 20, 2011
    I have played SWTOR in two Beta Weekends, and every day since I got let into Early Access on Day 1. In total, I've probably logged more than 100 hours, and have played every classes origin world, as well as levelled 2 characters into the mid-high 20's, one in beta and my main now at launch. I've played maybe 5 MMO's previously. SWTOR is the best MMO I've ever played, but that doesn't meanI have played SWTOR in two Beta Weekends, and every day since I got let into Early Access on Day 1. In total, I've probably logged more than 100 hours, and have played every classes origin world, as well as levelled 2 characters into the mid-high 20's, one in beta and my main now at launch. I've played maybe 5 MMO's previously. SWTOR is the best MMO I've ever played, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. They've taken alot of the features that I didn't like about other MMO's and have fixed them. Crafting for one, no more wasting time doing it yourself, you can send your companions on missions to gather resources or craft for you. The crafting system is plenty detailed, it's better than any MMO I've ever played, though not as good as some other MMO's I've heard others speak of. You gather mats, you craft some greens, you reverse engineer them to get back some mats and have a chance at unlocking a blue quality recipe of that item, then you can make the blues and reverse engineer them for a chance at a purple quality item. There are crafting crits as well, which give you a chance at an extra bonus to an item, such as an extra mod slot. Many items can be modded, and certain crafting professions specialize in mods. The modding system, after having gone through several iterations in the beta, is finally as it should be, just enough mods for things to be simple, but still offer a lot of customization options for gear. Combat is your standard MMO hotkey fare, but Bioware has given abilities the best animations I've ever seen in an MMO, which really helps to spice up combat. Combat is responsive, unlike in many other MMO's I've played, when you hit a key, the ability is used almost immediately. Auto-attack has been removed, which also helps to liven up combat and make it feel more involving. Companions also help to liven up combat, but have much better AI than "pets" in other MMO's, so they don't require babysitting or micro-managing. Difficulty is pretty low throughout much of the game, but there are certain boss encounters in Flashpoints (SWTOR's story-driven version of Dungeons) and in certain points of the class story that are fairly difficult, requiring multiple tries. Death is made easier with an in place revive with a scaling cooldown. Death penalty is your standard item degradation, beware, items can degrade pretty quickly if you're dying alo, and repairig full degredation on all of your gear is somewhat pricey.

Graphics are better than those of any MMO I've ever played. You'll see some people complaining about the graphics, but those people are generally comparing SWTOR to singleplayer games, an unfair comparison for any MMO, a genre known for lesser graphics. There are few areas that are sloppily done, but that's to be expected in a game SWTOR's size, it may have more total land area than any game ever created except for Daggerfall (which used recycled generated areas). Character graphics are a weak area, as is character creation (but they've steadily added more options to creation throughout the beta and have said that they will contiunue to do so after launch). Story. Now this is where SWTOR stands out. I've played every classes origin world story, and 2 classes well into Chapter 1 (mid-late 20's). There isn't a story that I'm not hooked to, and I find myself having trouble playing choosing which character to work on each day. Writing is pretty good on most quests, there are few awkward moments both in the class stories and in side stories, but in general, they're fantastic. The Side stories aren't quite as good as the Class Stories, but I still find myself engrossed by several of them. Bioware has succeeded in making me feel an emotional connection to many of the charcters, both in Class Stories and Side Stories, so I have major trouble trying to choose dark side choices, even on my Sith characters.

PvP is amazing, better than in any MMO I've ever played. Combat is balanced, I find myself at the top of one leaderboard or other regardless of what class I'm playing. All the amazing Star Wars themed animations going off at once in a group engagement looks amazing, lightsabers whirring everywhere, blasterbolts and lightning flying past. The Warzones are varied and are quite entertaining. SWTOR's weakest area is social features. Right now, guilds are lacking features (high priority fix after launch), there are no social minigames to get people socializing in Cantinas (another post-launch feature), It's very difficult to find PUGs to run Heroics and Flashpoints with once you get out of the teens, the economy on the Galactic Exchange seems fairly poor (barely anyone are selling items there or are buying items from others). But all in all, SWTOR is an amazing achievement in MMO history. It's the best MMO I've ever played and I fully intend to play this game for at least a year.
  81. Dec 22, 2011
    It's World of Warcraft in space with better music. There is nothing revolutionary about the game, contrary to what the paid reviews and shills would like you to believe
  82. Dec 22, 2011
    I cannot express how much of a disappointment this game is. People saying that it is a WoW clone are incorrect - it does not even do that well. I'm a massive star wars fan and have enjoyed most of Bioware's previous offerings from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Age. The only thing in this game worth experiencing is some of the story, and that is definitely a finite experience - my advice is toI cannot express how much of a disappointment this game is. People saying that it is a WoW clone are incorrect - it does not even do that well. I'm a massive star wars fan and have enjoyed most of Bioware's previous offerings from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Age. The only thing in this game worth experiencing is some of the story, and that is definitely a finite experience - my advice is to play one of Bioware's previous games that is written better and offers the same story-style experience without forcing you to suffer through a pale imitation of WoW's tired MMO gameplay model - read: WoW has much more fun gameplay than this. Smoother combat, more involved quest mechanics that occasionally engage you - use an item to put on a disguise, sneak into a camp and kill target. SWTOR is - Kill X mobs. Get X items from dead mobs. Pick up X items off the ground. Talk to X. Aaaand that's about it. Customization is atrocious. To have access to the Star Wars license and only have humans with facepaint is such a missed opportunity it's a crime. This isn't Star Trek where you're limited to humans with stuff on their face! There's a rich background with amazing races! Use them, players love them!

I rolled a bounty hunter, I wanted to use a rifle, or maybe a cool staffy pike thing. Hell, Bounty Hunters in the movies do it. Surely in a STAR WARS ROLEPLAYING GAME I should be able to do that, right? WRONG. You're a bounty hunter? You use pistols. Next. You're a spy? You use rifles. Next. Just lazy and inexcusable. Even in WoW, there are class limitations but within that you are free to pick! My warrior can use a mace, axe, sword, dagger, 2h versions of all those, bow, gun, etc! Pathetic when WoW lays your character's options low. Once players are finished with their stories, this game will not be able to stand up to the competition, period. There is one raid, and three battlegrounds. That's it for endgame, other than that I hope you like sitting in the cantina roleplaying because that's all there is to do. It's missing so many standard MMO features it's painful to think about! Day/night cycles are missing, NO GUILD BANK!?!? No guild progression system of any kind. Welcome back to 2003! Oh wait, SWG and games back then had those. Welcome to a bad MMO. No LFG, horrible pet AI (yes pets, that's all companions are), god-awful UI, no addon support, no swimming, nooo thanks.

Standard features in other MMOs like limiting who can roll need on what is absent, have fun the first time some sith ninjas your bounty hunter armor because his companion needs it, because it will happen many times. I really hope GW2 comes out soon.
  83. Jun 20, 2014
    It is definitely a great game. The combat system is out of date but there is no denying that the voice over and story is top notch. If they would just update the combat system this game would be a real contender.
  84. Dec 20, 2011
    I've been waiting too long for an MMO to pull me in like this again. The crafting isn't as deep as I'd like, but its still engaging and if you want to be good at it,you must invest time into it. FP's are amazing fun and group dynamics in missions, especially story missions is absolutely fantastic.
  85. Dec 20, 2011
    This game could of been so much more, but ultimately it is simply World of Warcraft clone set in space. Nearly every aspect of the game can be found in WoW down to the UI, the spells (just with different names) even the classes are WoW clones. However, being a WoW clone isn't necessarily a bad thing as WoW was a great game, but SWTOR is like going back in time and playing WoW from 2004.This game could of been so much more, but ultimately it is simply World of Warcraft clone set in space. Nearly every aspect of the game can be found in WoW down to the UI, the spells (just with different names) even the classes are WoW clones. However, being a WoW clone isn't necessarily a bad thing as WoW was a great game, but SWTOR is like going back in time and playing WoW from 2004. It's missing many of the core innovations that other MMOs have made since 2004 like a group finder tool, phased zones, and dynamic questing. But things aren't all bad in SWTOR despite the graphics being lackluster for a game released in late 2011 the one key innovation is that the entire game is fully voiced and the story is often very compelling as you would expect from a Bioware game. As much as I wanted to completely dismiss this game as another WoW ripoff when I first played it, the more I played it the more I was drawn into the story and more my character and the supporting cast meant to me. So even though I am disappointed by the missed opportunities of what SWTOR could of been I can't deny that WoW clone or not the game is still FUN and that's all that really matters. I don't know if I'll subscribe or play for 6 years like I did WoW but I do feel like my money was well spent even if I only decide to play for the first free month. Expand
  86. Dec 21, 2011
    Its hard to say what makes this game so incredible, is the the stylised clone wars graphics, the orchastrated music or the fantastic narritive? I think its a combination of all of this and more. The game itself dosent feel like an mmo, from the very beginning if feels like you are playing your very own rpg based in the star wars universe and there just happens to be other people runningIts hard to say what makes this game so incredible, is the the stylised clone wars graphics, the orchastrated music or the fantastic narritive? I think its a combination of all of this and more. The game itself dosent feel like an mmo, from the very beginning if feels like you are playing your very own rpg based in the star wars universe and there just happens to be other people running around in the same world. It feels very much like the original KOTOR games right down to the companion quests and the combat. The standard bioware dialogue tree is there and it allows you to make decisions that will not only effect your alligent between dark and light, it also effects how your crew look at you and both are not always tied together. For instance, its possible to be a Sith making dark side choices but loose the respect of your crew because of it. This makes playing the game a unique balancing act, as a Bounty Hunter i feel no pressure to lean one way or the other and i make choices that i feel are appropriate to the situation, on the other hand a friend of mine is struggling to always make dark side choices as a sith because he feels he should, but they are not always things he agrees with.

A lot has been said about the graphics of the game, some love them and some hate them, the styleised approach is a wise one considering the type of game it is. Keeping the look away from realism stops them from dating as quickly as Galaxies did and allows the facial animation to shine through. The bold and colourfull environments do a great job of reflecting the Star Wars lore and never once do you feel that you are looking at something that could look better in a different engine.

The controls are standard mmo and that is perhaps the one thing about the game that isnt unique, you use your mouse to control point of view, ASWD control directions and the number keys are your attacks. The actual combat however looks great, as a bounty hunter you can engage your jetpack and fly Bob-Fett style above your foes raining rockets and blaster fire on them. As a Sith you can fire lightning from you finger tips and watch your enemies squirm in pain, the game feels authentically Star Wars.

Overall if you are a fan of Bioware titles, enjoy playing mmos or even just have a love for Star Wars this is the game for you. The strong story telling and excellent voice acting will keep you occupied when your friends are not around, and the execellent Flashpoint events (where everyone can have a dialogue option) will reward you for playing with others. I have no problem rating this one with a 10, its easily the best MMO out there today and is amoungst the best rpgs.
  87. Dec 21, 2011
    This is just unbelievable...the same people are bombarding this game with 0's over and over again. This needs to stop. It has happened with every big named game to come out and enough is enough. You are all a bunch of no life trolls. God PC Gamers are the whiniest group of people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
  88. Dec 20, 2011
    This game has been a bitter disappointment. The voice acting is ok, but everything else is extremely boring, uninspired and it soon becomes a drag. BioWare seemingly has lost their touch and I'm not expecting much more out of Mass Effect 3, which looks like a boring third person shooter. TOR massively underdelivers on all fronts, and for such a big project with such high aspirations, itThis game has been a bitter disappointment. The voice acting is ok, but everything else is extremely boring, uninspired and it soon becomes a drag. BioWare seemingly has lost their touch and I'm not expecting much more out of Mass Effect 3, which looks like a boring third person shooter. TOR massively underdelivers on all fronts, and for such a big project with such high aspirations, it fails miserably. Do not waste your time or money with this game. Expand
  89. Dec 20, 2011
    I'm enjoying the game a lot. There's definitely some balance issues that need fine tuning when it comes to PvP but overall I don't think its totally broken in that regard. Voiced quests are actually quite nice when you're leveling, makes it a more pleasurable experience. Quest flow is overall pretty good, not a lot of backtracking which is nice. Interface is well done and aestheticallyI'm enjoying the game a lot. There's definitely some balance issues that need fine tuning when it comes to PvP but overall I don't think its totally broken in that regard. Voiced quests are actually quite nice when you're leveling, makes it a more pleasurable experience. Quest flow is overall pretty good, not a lot of backtracking which is nice. Interface is well done and aesthetically pleasing, at least in my eyes. Overall I'm finding the writing to be well-done, at least for what I expected from an MMO. Its not too painful to read and the voiceover work is quite well done which helps a lot. I wish that there was more variety in the armor like they promised though. I was under the impression we would be seeing people walking around in many different armors and character types but I suppose that idea was flushed down the drain. Maybe they'll add more in future patches. Hoping they add more races to the roster at some point too. Expand
  90. Dec 20, 2011
    I signed up for Metacritic as I felt the need for a more indepth analysis of the game, after seeing some of the user "reviews" already out there I would describe SWTOR as a Story Driven MMORPG and it has a lot going for it. As has been mentioned, all quest givers, main characters and even your own character are voice acted, and it a high standard as well. Accepting quests usuallyI signed up for Metacritic as I felt the need for a more indepth analysis of the game, after seeing some of the user "reviews" already out there I would describe SWTOR as a Story Driven MMORPG and it has a lot going for it. As has been mentioned, all quest givers, main characters and even your own character are voice acted, and it a high standard as well. Accepting quests usually involves a bit of dialogue, in which you use a dialogue wheel (such as in Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2). I find this makes "normal" questing that much more engaging, and it gets even better if you are in a group, either in normal questing or in dungeons as all the party are engaged. When a dialogue choice needs to be made, each will make their choice and a roll is taken, the highest score uses their dialogue choice. This happens for each dialogue choice. I think this is a fantastic piece of the game. While quests are generally Kill that, activate this, retrieve those, they are well done (which MMO does not involve these quests, they all do, it is just how well they hide it). Also, many quests branch out or give you alternative solutions to completing them (do you do what the original quest giver wanted or take take up the alternative option of another). Many quests involve choices that affect your rewards and light side/dark side standing. While there are two factions (Sith and Republic) both factions can choose Dark and Light Side options (and get gear for that disposition) meaning you can have evil Jedi or good Sith if you so which, adding in a lot of choice. Dungeons are very well done with good stories. In addition to the usual loot that drops from bosses, there are also things call Commendations that drop from dungeons, normal mobs while questing and as rewards. You can turn these in in exchange for powerful gear. So even if there was nothing that dropped for you on a dungeon run, you usually get enough commendations (or close to enough) to get good gear from the respective vendors which is an excellent touch. Crafting is very well implemented. Instead of you having to go accross the map to find materials, you can send out your companions to gather them for you and they also craft the items, free you up to quest. You can also find materials in the wild if you so choose. I find combat to be extremely fun. Gone is the Auto-attack. You have to activly use an ability to perform an attack. I was skeptical about this at first but have found it great fun as it is very engaging and the combat looks great! It makes for a very nice visual experience. Class are fun, although I am a bit disappointing that the Sith and Republic classes are pretty much the same, just with different skill names and visual effects (but the same basic function). Each Class has two Advanced Classes, making for a total of about 8 unique classes in the game. In addition, each Advanced Class has 3 talent trees (you get 1 point per level after 10 to spend here) allow you to customize further. The game is not perfect of course. For us RP'ers, at the moment there are no Chat Bubbles (they will be implemented at a later date) making /Say chat more difficult than it needs to be. In addition there are various bugs atm, most are merely visual glithces, but I have experienced one in an instance which made be fall through the floor and get stuck, meaning I have to re-logg and could not complete the dungeon with my group. Also, I ordered the Collector's Edtion, and for some reason there is no manual! So there is very little explanation on how things work, for example that planets are divided into instances. Normally this is fine, but if you want to group with somebody from another instance (think another copy of the world) you have to change. The issue with this, is that is warns me I will not be able to see if my friends are online in this new instance and I do not know how to change back (since I do not have a manual!). So they need to provide better instructions and maybe actually include a game manual. Also there are some server waits at the moment and there seems to be a grafical glitch that can slow down even high end machines (Note: Fix by Setting Graphic Default to High, then apply. Then set to Low and turn of shadows and if you, like me have a low end machine, turn off grass etc and it works fine). Over all, from my 5 days of playing early access I have to say this is a great game, the story telling are signature Bioware, the quests usually have different outcomes and twists and the combat is fun. A bit rough around the edges still, but I expect many of these to be fixed post launch. The Good
    - Story/Characters
    - Grouping
    - Instances
    - Combat
    - Crafting

The Bad
    - Bugs
    - Wait Times
    - Lack of manual/documentation
    - Missing features (chat bubbles)
    - Instanced Planets (but this does help reduce quest ganking)

Recommendation: If you like MMORPG's you should give this game a try.
    Rating: 9 (10 to balance Red;s)
  91. Dec 20, 2011
    When I heard about this I was disappointed by the fact that they would be turning my beloved KoTOR into an MMO, but, I gave it a chance. Sadly it proved my fears right. Gameplay wise it is a poor WoW clone at best, except it's even more dumbed down. The graphics are just pathetic for a game coming out in 2011, it barely looks like an upgrade over KoTOR. And don't get me started on theWhen I heard about this I was disappointed by the fact that they would be turning my beloved KoTOR into an MMO, but, I gave it a chance. Sadly it proved my fears right. Gameplay wise it is a poor WoW clone at best, except it's even more dumbed down. The graphics are just pathetic for a game coming out in 2011, it barely looks like an upgrade over KoTOR. And don't get me started on the "story". Grade school writing, combined with an utter mangling of everything in KoTOR just led to me hanging my head in shame with bile creeping up my throat. Expand
  92. Dec 23, 2011
    Sorry but overused and worn out mmo mechanics from the last 8 years. A veiled attempt of EA and their new lap dog Bioware to cash in on the Star Wars ip. Poor Star Warsians
  93. Dec 26, 2011
    I can not express how disappointed I am with this game. Normally I like Bioware and their games, I will admit that I wasn't all that upset with DA 2. This however, is a completely different animal, and I wonder who is to blame for this momentous failure. So what is wrong with this game? For starters, its stiff. By that I mean it is no different that any other MMO on the market. When oneI can not express how disappointed I am with this game. Normally I like Bioware and their games, I will admit that I wasn't all that upset with DA 2. This however, is a completely different animal, and I wonder who is to blame for this momentous failure. So what is wrong with this game? For starters, its stiff. By that I mean it is no different that any other MMO on the market. When one mentions star wars, images of epic dynamic flowing duels between Jedi and Sith, images of smooth Han Solo-esq smugglers getting by with wit and charm while quietly taking their blaster out its holster to take out the check-point guards just in case they decide to take a closer look at his cargo, or of massive naval battles between inconceivably large fleets of ships. This game is sadly none of these. Now I understand that this is a MMO and as such it is limited, I can live with such limits. But the game limits its self in just being what every other MMO on the market is, Kill x many of y mob, or gather so many of these items, etc. Nothing that hasn't been done for the past 6+ years.
    Now Bioware did try to do something different with their almost iconic morality system, which would have been something new and engaging if your decisions meant anything.
    The UI is terrible, rigid and uninspired. The user can't move anything, is unaware of what mob is attacking what beyond what is attacking them, and the Pet UI (and yes that is all the companions really are) is beyond atrocious, I cannot count the number of times mine have dropped an AoE on a group of CCed mobs. Speaking of groups of mobs, pretty much everything attacks you groups and are either really weak and die within two attacks or really powerful and the player will barely make it out.
    Furthermore, the combat mechanics are stated earlier are stiff, the same old recycled hotbar stand still and spam your key combat.
    Healing is slow, and awkward, the lack of any sort of macros really brings this home. How hard is it to enable simple mouse over macros?
    Space combat plays like a Star Fox mini game, though not a bad thing if you enjoyed the Star Fox series.
    The crafting system has much that needs to be improved, The characters aren't even the once doing the crafting its the companions, which would be a plus for them as it does make them somewhat useful if it wasn't for the fact that it takes about a minute for each item that one wishes to craft.
    Character customization isn't even there, preset faces, to be mixed with preset bodies, hair, etc.
    Race choices are pretty much human and human with different skin color and choice of horns. Now there are those who say that its early in the game's life, or that I am a "hater" or "troll".
    This game has been in development for almost 4 years with a rumored cost over $135 million. I know Bioware can put out better product than this. I know they can have engaging dynamic combat look at "Jade Empire" they can have tactical combat, DA:origins proved this. It even had decent AI if one knew how to tell the machine what to do.
    In short this is not a next gen mmo, and will never be a next gen mmo. Bioware wasted a lot of time and money to make this, what they should have done instead is make KotOR 3 and gave it a mutiplayer, multistory option. Maybe something PSO like from way back on the Dreamcast, or even Diablo 2, with the different classes but add in the seperate stories that you could share with your friends if you so wished.
    That would have been a much better game. A single player game with 8 story lines that I could play with my friends online.
  94. Dec 20, 2011
    Star Wars: The Old Republic has hit all the nice touches. They've taken what has worked and made it better. The questing system? Yeah, it worked, but now your choices matter and you have fully immersive voice overs with amazing animations. The combat? Yeah, tab-targetting works. But now we have dynamic combat with amazing skill and strategy to master. The graphics? Yeah, they're not likeStar Wars: The Old Republic has hit all the nice touches. They've taken what has worked and made it better. The questing system? Yeah, it worked, but now your choices matter and you have fully immersive voice overs with amazing animations. The combat? Yeah, tab-targetting works. But now we have dynamic combat with amazing skill and strategy to master. The graphics? Yeah, they're not like Aion's but they are absolutely amazing. Many are downrating this game for silly reasons, but it's not due to the instancing. The instancing is very little and may I add, YOU CAN ALLOW OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR INSTANCES. YOU CAN SKIP THE MOVIES IF YOU WANT TO. Definitely a great game. Expand
  95. Dec 21, 2011
    Best launch of any MMO in history!!! Unlike WOW and so many others, there was no server crashing on release day.

This game is in keeping with Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) made by the same publisher. If you liked Mass Effect 1 and 2 plus looking forward to ME3 or if you enjoyed the KOTOR games, then you'll enjoy this game. Despite what people what say, this is a full fledge MMO. Unlike the negative reviewers that NEVER PLAYED THE GAME, or if they did just for a short time, I was a Closed Beta Tester and I've been playing the game for more than 6 months. During Beta, I ran several character up into the 30s and 40s. As veteran MMO player, I've played EQ, WOW, Warhammer, plus many more. This game is solid and worth playing. Yes it is potentially an WOW killer. This game should do to WOW what it did to EQ.

Here is some basic info on the game and review of some mechanics.

Servers -- This is a true MMO. (The idiot MagusGrandios, below, stating the each zone is instanced is false.) Generally, there is only one area which is what you will experience 90% of the time. There is a possibility of "server sharding" which is similar to WOW-phasing. This only happens when there is a huge number of people in one area. During beta stress weekends, this only happened in the newbie zones (first two planets) and I never saw it anywhere else. The sharding is to lower lag. For example, instead of seeing all 200 people in a zone, you'll only physically see 100 but you can still hear and talk to everyone. Otherwise, this is much like any other MMO. Travel is what you would expect. You get your first speeder at level 25, second upgrade around level 40. Until then you can "sprint", quick travel (a teleport, which everyone has access to), or use a taxi to fly from one area to another. Plus you get your ship around level 18 that allows you to fly between planets and participate in space combat.

Classes - There are 4 basic or archtype classes for the first 10 levels, then you break out into one of two Advanced Class or AC. 8 total classes. Each class has 3 trees. One tree is always DPS and the other PVP/Utility. The third tree is considered the "advanced class defining" tree. (In WOW terms, the Shadow-Priest is a DPS tree that makes the priest like a mage, but it is the healing tree that defines the class.) There are 3 tanks, 3 healers, and 2 dedicated DPS advanced classes, albeit all 8 classes can DPS in thier DPS tree. The classes are relatively balanced.

Companion -- One very cool feature is that EVERYONE is a pet class. Companions have thier own skills and ability bars that you can customize to your needs. Over the game you will get around 5 character (6 if you count your ship droid). Each companion represents a archtype of melee tank, melee dps, ranged tank, ranged dps, and healer. You get a new companion about every 5-8 levels starting at level 8. You can only use one companion in combat at a time. The other companions can be sent on non combat activities which can range from crafting (armsmech, armstech, cybertech, etc.) to missions (investigation, diplomacy, etc.) to component gathering (salvaging, bioanalysis, slicing, etc.)

PVE & Grouping -- This game utilizes a basic 4 man grouping system. If you have less than 4 players, then companions can fill the wholes. Thus two players can each have a companion and make a four man group. There is basic content that is 1 or 2 person oriented. Plus there are 2 man Heroics, 4 man Heroics, and Flashpoints. End game raiding requires 16 man groups. The game features all of the looting features you've come to expect from an MMO.

PVP & Battlegrounds -- The game features world PVP on PVP servers plus Battlegrounds on all severs. The Battlegrounds rely upon scenarios. If you've played Warhammer, then must of this will be familiar. Warhammer was one of the best PVP oriented MMOs, and this is the same developer.

Crafting -- Crafting is different than most games. You are not the crafter but it is a skill set shared by your whole crew. Thus making a set of armor takes time. You go on missions while you leave your companions at the ship making armor. Companions can also be sent on gathering missions to get you the items you need. Companions can also go on missions which can receive rewards such as materials or schematics that are useful in crafting. Very smooth system. I currently have an Armstech/Scalvaging/Investigations character with the skills in the 170-200 range.

Guild System -- The guild pre-launch program was flawless. For pre-existing guilds, they were organized pre-release and automatically added to their guild at launch. There are a few incoming features, such as guild bank, that is supposed to be included in the first patch.
  96. Tro
    Dec 20, 2011
    I've been patiently waiting for this game ever since I heard about it back in mid 2010. Prior to that I had sworn off MMORPGs after getting bored with the genre, however the combination of Star Wars and a massively open world to play in convinced me to keep an eye on developments. After having participated in the recent beta weekend events, I knew with 100% certainty that Star Wars: TheI've been patiently waiting for this game ever since I heard about it back in mid 2010. Prior to that I had sworn off MMORPGs after getting bored with the genre, however the combination of Star Wars and a massively open world to play in convinced me to keep an eye on developments. After having participated in the recent beta weekend events, I knew with 100% certainty that Star Wars: The Old Republic would be my new digital home for the foreseeable future. Once you get your ship and more powerful abilities early-to-mid level you really start to appreciate the sheer amount of hard work that has gone into this game; the scenery especially is outstanding, from the claustrophobic tunnels of Coruscant to the brash, neon skyline of Nar Shaddaa, and then to the dusty, sandy, scorched world of Tatooine, you are fully immersed in the Star Wars galaxy so deftly and lovingly crafted by BioWare. The gameplay is also excellent, and I've got so many abilities to play around with even though I'm level 33 (out of 50) that I've run out of hotkeys! Conclusion: I can heartily recommend this game to newcomers and veterans alike. There are hundreds, thousands of hours of game time to be had, for the price of a couple of rental dvds per month. This premium entertainment is excellent value for money. Expand
  97. Dec 20, 2011
    The Troll is strong with this one... people appear to be rating 0-3 on the DAY OF RELEASE. Anyone who has played an MMO knows that it is impossible to glean insight to the game's worth in a single day. Even those (myself included) with early game access experience have not reached level cap and have not had nearly enough time to explore even a fraction of the whole experience. All of thatThe Troll is strong with this one... people appear to be rating 0-3 on the DAY OF RELEASE. Anyone who has played an MMO knows that it is impossible to glean insight to the game's worth in a single day. Even those (myself included) with early game access experience have not reached level cap and have not had nearly enough time to explore even a fraction of the whole experience. All of that said, I'm casting my vote just to even out the trolls. I'll come back and adjust my rating as I gain more experience with the title, but know this much; I am extremely satisfied thus far. My wife and I had a blast going through the starter zone together and I've been extremely amused solo'ing as I explore each of the classes. Graphics are superb, though you'll want to force AA on [Google it - it's not terribly difficult] and I like playing without shadows. The voice acting is top notch, and the music is wonderfully nostalgic. Gameplay, so far, is as to be expected from an MMO title; I have no outstanding remarks to make therein. Expand
  98. Dec 20, 2011
    Played stress test weekends, found out Bioware wants to charge people a monthly sub for a single player game, and a 2nd rate hash of one at that. I challenge anyone to not skip through all of the so called Story Dialogue after the first couple of hours, its pretty much a go-there, kill this boss or 10 of these thingies for the entire grind that it becomes. Did consider buying it for aPlayed stress test weekends, found out Bioware wants to charge people a monthly sub for a single player game, and a 2nd rate hash of one at that. I challenge anyone to not skip through all of the so called Story Dialogue after the first couple of hours, its pretty much a go-there, kill this boss or 10 of these thingies for the entire grind that it becomes. Did consider buying it for a month to see if the release version would have improved but Origin have actually suspended anyone from buying a digital download because there are massive queues on pretty much all servers. After reading the official forums the Customer Service stories are horrendous and the game is exactly as it was in beta. Give it a miss. Expand
  99. Dec 21, 2011
    I am absolutely enthralled by this game. I love how story-driven it is, and how at several points during a quest chain, you have to make moral decisions and judgement calls that affect your own character's story progression. On a technical side, I think that the game play is very intuitive (I am an enthusiastic but not exactly pro gamer, having mostly played World of Warcraft, Dragon Age,I am absolutely enthralled by this game. I love how story-driven it is, and how at several points during a quest chain, you have to make moral decisions and judgement calls that affect your own character's story progression. On a technical side, I think that the game play is very intuitive (I am an enthusiastic but not exactly pro gamer, having mostly played World of Warcraft, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate, along with some zombie shooters and racing games). I love that the "gathering" quests are completed automatically when you are done with the objective: no need to run back to the quest giver all the time to hand him over 10 pelts or something. I love that you can run with the map open (it fades out, but it is still superimposed over the game, so you can see where you are going). There are a ton of other details like that, little things that make this game a joy to play.

On the MMO aspect, I suppose your experience will vary depending on what server you choose, but as for myself, on an RPPVP server, I have to say: I find the people friendly and helpful. I ran across some public RP already, and there was a huge wpvp event on our server just yesterday, on launch day. You can definitely play alone and truly enjoy yourself, but I find that having a guild is a nice bonus (if only to ask newbie questions).

I would definitely recommend this game as a first experience to anyone who has ever wanted to try out MMORPGs: it is quite easy to get the hang of, the stories are rich and interesting, and there is so much to discover that you will really enjoy yourself. If you never played an MMO before, look at the user forums for your server, read up on various guilds, and apply to one that interests you. Playing with like-minded and helpful people will enhance your experience.

As for a rating, I am giving this a 10, because I can't think of anything that I would like to change, so far. PVE, PVP, RP (and story content): I like it all! :)
  100. Dec 23, 2011
    someone is outsourcing their reviews .below is an excerpt from a paid review. from someone names Yassir. . look up this review yourselves, below is just a brief portion. This is really sad. Also, notice how Gamespot.com and IGN.com are still "reviewing" the game even though the beta has been out for some time. this type of practice indicates something foul as well. It is really hardsomeone is outsourcing their reviews .below is an excerpt from a paid review. from someone names Yassir. . look up this review yourselves, below is just a brief portion. This is really sad. Also, notice how Gamespot.com and IGN.com are still "reviewing" the game even though the beta has been out for some time. this type of practice indicates something foul as well. It is really hard to find an honest review. YassirX
    Dec 22, 2011
    Iââ

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.