Star Wars: The Old Republic PC

5.9

1. Dec 30, 2011
    Terrible game:lackluster RPG icing on a stale mmo cake. Bioware should have stuck to what they do well. I just can't see what is compelling about this and why on earth it would be worth a subscription to anyone. I don't plan to keep playing when my time is up.
  2. Jan 16, 2012
    TORTANIC GENERAL. Another blunder from BioWare. Go Go BioDrones, you will buy anything that has BW's logo on it, won't you? MMO? More like, pay to play single player.
  3. Jan 19, 2012
    Buggy game..HORRIDLY terrible customer service. Broken mechanics system, pop horridly imbalanced. Tested this game since beta. Things are now worse. The entire game feels like it wasn't even tested before release. Customer service speaks broken and hard to understand english. Game graphics even on a mid range vid card are still tearing. FPS/lag issues have increased since the "fix" itBuggy game..HORRIDLY terrible customer service. Broken mechanics system, pop horridly imbalanced. Tested this game since beta. Things are now worse. The entire game feels like it wasn't even tested before release. Customer service speaks broken and hard to understand english. Game graphics even on a mid range vid card are still tearing. FPS/lag issues have increased since the "fix" it patch from 1.1 screw up. Wow feel and set up regarding skill tree's classes. End games boring bland at best. I can't even go on about this pile of crap..Anyone interested in buying this game..do yourself a favor use your 60 bucks and get skyrim..or pay a bill..or fill up your gas tank..least you'll get more use / self satisfaction out of the money used then wasting it on this junkpile. think I'm gonna give my game and account over to a druggy across the street for a cig..bout all this games worth with how screwed up it is..And I'm not even going back to wow I hate that game now to. Expand
  4. Jan 21, 2012
    I've played many MMO's such as Rift, Aion, and WoW to name a few. WoW is the only one I ever really stuck with. I'll start out with my first impressions of the game on launch day. The character creation was a nice change of pace from WoW's very limited creation screen. However, once I delved into it I was quickly aware there are really not many options at all. You can choose between 4 VERYI've played many MMO's such as Rift, Aion, and WoW to name a few. WoW is the only one I ever really stuck with. I'll start out with my first impressions of the game on launch day. The character creation was a nice change of pace from WoW's very limited creation screen. However, once I delved into it I was quickly aware there are really not many options at all. You can choose between 4 VERY limited body types none of which are particularly appealing to me from the male char standpoint, so I choose to make a female character. I logged into the game, and the graphics seemed very held back to put it lightly. The aesthetics of the graphics engine are there for the most part, but it didn't feel 100% like I was in the Star Wars universe. I made a Sith Inquisitor, so I started on the planet Korriban. The first thing that happens is you get off a ship that lands half glitching through the landing pad. The dialogue was a very very nice change of pace being able to actually hear what you need to do, and understanding the impact it has on the characters was very cool, initially. After getting done with the first conversation the focus of my attention became the UI. The UI is nearly 100% fixed with almost 0 customization options. The keybindings always reset when using new characters, and for the first 2 hours of playing the game I could not get over how clunky and weird jumping was. I always hop around in all the MMO's I've played, and I was never so bugged by how weird the jumping is. The help menu tutorial options always pop up no matter what and you must click and exit each and every single one to put them away. About 2 hours into the game(about level 7 - 8) It became very clear very quick the questing dialogue did nothing but mask the standard MMO grind. The majority of quests(aside from the main planet quest chain and class quests) are just the same go kill this / collect 20 of these for me quests. The voice acting was good, but I never really paid much attention to it outside of my class quests. It was very obvious several voice actors were reused throughout the game in the sideline questing, and the responses from my own character became very repetitive and confusing. My choices were made always to either gain companion affection or Dark Side points. It really didn't feel like I was making choices rather than just choosing the ones that improved my score for the aforementioned options. I would often choose options I had previously gained companion affection with, and I would not gain any at all. After finishing Korriban, I used the space bar liberally throughout the rest of the game. The companion system was amazing. First getting your companion at the end of the planet made you feel invincible, but as the game progressed having a companion present was almost mandatory to complete quests. The TLDR summary of my questing experience to 50 is: Standard MMO grind with a lot of phasing and a bit of flavor in the class quests. At 50 my repertoire of known bugs and issues with the game had expanded greatly. PvP is nearly unplayable with Ability delay, class imbalance, gearing, and playing with many players below 50. There is no competitive small scale PvP which makes gearing up seem pointless. However, even if it is pointless it can also be nearly impossible. PvP gearing is based on 'random' gear boxes. You have only a small % chance to actually get anything AND it can be the same thing you may have already gotten. These issues with PvP, UI, and Aesthetics are all easily overlooked. My main issue is with the patching and updating process SW: ToR uses. I am currently unable to log in the game as well as many others for various reasons. For all of these reasons I have unsubscribed my account, and I am waiting(at the very least for them to update the patching process so I can play the game) to resubscribe. Overall, the game is very fun with some really good highlights to it, but they overlooked a lot of serious red flags. I am a huge fan of Star Wars, but I am not a huge fan of throwing money at a game I can't play and the refusal to help the thousands of us who can't as well. This almost alone is the reason for my poor review of the game. Expand
  5. Jan 21, 2012
    Two clone jobs melded together in a mediocre fashion do not add up to one good game.

The MMO gameplay is an inferior WoW copy job, and the story/crew members side is an inferior recycling of Bioware's own Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic games. I only give it a 6 because the production values are generally decent, so people who are big Star Wars buffs and have never played

I only give it a 6 because the production values are generally decent, so people who are big Star Wars buffs and have never played another MMORPG or Mass Effect might have some fun.

For anyone not fitting that description though, it's not recommended.
  6. Mar 21, 2012
    So I had hoped for so much more from this game and BioWares track record of making quality games.

It's 3 months in and the game hasn't developed at all in a direction I can appreciate, enjoy or endorse. If you want to play it to play a single player game experience in a given class? Go for it. Entertaining in this regard _once_. If on the other hand you are lookign for a game that has

If on the other hand you are lookign for a game that has actually invested in deep, engaging and compelling multiplayer experiences? Look elsewhere. The dev team has clearly missed the mark. A perfect example of this is treating PvP (something they have devoted entire servers too) as a pure afterthought, by their own admission, that it 'wouldn't be popular'... In a two faction game about warring empires in the star wars IP? Not Popular? The class to class balance is non-existent and the gear and craft system was clearly never thought about past level 45 out of 50. The efforts to address both of thse are being mishandled while they try to sell their 'Legacy' system as a major feature, which is pure fluff and promotes more single player mechanics than team ones.

There was a lot of quality put into this game for look, feel and atmosphere. Sadly not even a fraction of it into the game itself.
  7. Jan 9, 2012
    Average game with some good voiced quests. However, don't believe the marketing hype that it is fully voice acted it isn't. In addition to some mission terminals, much of the dialogue is simply re-used, in many cases where it doesn't make sense, or makes use of alien speech where they can re-use the same voice clips over and over.

Combat is the usual mmo combat, and nothing original

Combat is the usual mmo combat, and nothing original there, though some of the combat animations are enjoyable. PVP combat is terrible. Space combat should have been delayed until they could build a proper space combat game, not some terrible rail shooter. Quests are the standard mix of fetch-it and kill quests, though admittedly that's not a complaint more of an expectation.

Graphics are decidedly average and lack high res textures. Very limited character generation options. Blocky buildings that are repetitive (if you've played Biowares Dragon Age II you understand what this means).

Large amount of bugs. Multiple hundred page threads on the customer service website about lag and stutter on systems that significantly outpace the system requirements (people with GTX570's, SLI or Crossfire video cards, 2.4GHz quad cores etc.). This is in addition to the many bugs that exist of mobs spawning in walls, player getting stuck in the environment, quests hanging and not being able to be completed. This is combined with terrible customer service. Having been a part of the release of many mmo's over the years, including some of the smoothest in terms of bugs and stability (LOTRO) and worst (AO/AOC) this game is on the worse side of the spectrum, not as bad as the worst, but a far cry from the best. Multiplayer aspects often seem like an add-on and the focus is definitely on the single player experience. Companions seem to emphasize the single player experience. For a game with a seemingly large population, the worlds seem fairly barren.

Light and dark side choices seem to have no consequence beyond the graphical of being able to look like a sith (whether you want to or not as the show sith corruption is bugged forcing you to have to reset it everytime you zone). This forces a gaming of the system to get the higher light/dark gear, rather than making dialogue choices that seem appropriate.

Pros: - storyline quests are for the most part enjoyable
    - the music and sound effects are terrific (both the original John Williams scores and anything they added)

Neutrals
    - combat is the same old mmo combat
    - crafting is not bad, not great but at least not terribly intrusive

Cons
    - bugs
    - last gen graphics and poor graphical differentiation
    - space combat is terrible
    - pvp
    - customer service
  8. Jan 12, 2012
    I was expecting good things from SWTOR, but unfortunately I have been disappointed. Gameplay wise: Graphics crashes (Midget Jedi's, Metallic Huts and Fighting the Scenery - all of which amused rather than annoyed me.), Poor PVP. Missions which while well presented have the depth of Attack of the Clones (though better acting). Lack of duel spec's which make doing anything as a healer or aI was expecting good things from SWTOR, but unfortunately I have been disappointed. Gameplay wise: Graphics crashes (Midget Jedi's, Metallic Huts and Fighting the Scenery - all of which amused rather than annoyed me.), Poor PVP. Missions which while well presented have the depth of Attack of the Clones (though better acting). Lack of duel spec's which make doing anything as a healer or a tank slow without the DPS options. As for healing (I normally play healing classes), thats hard work on a dodgy laptop with a tracker pad, lacking mouse over healing really leaves me quite drained. Space combat which was beaten when I recently had the privilege of playing a 1980's Star Wars Arcade Machine. (I won't even mention the annoyance of lacking a mac client at launch. I suspect this will mean that we will have a badly imported client at a later date.) But worse than Gameplay feels the community. Communications seem poor and only used to complain (Normally about WOW, though I did like the discussion I saw by people still burnt out on RIFT). Guilds seem non-existent at the moment leading to both a lack of community and camaraderie. I had high hopes that guilds would be treated well with the pre-registration of guilds however so far I have not seen it in game. Bioware could have spent another 10 years getting things and I feel it is brave of them to release something so we can see some of what they had in mind. I wanted more but I got quite a shallow single player game with pretentious of being an MMO. I will come back in the future for the occasional month and hope that enough has been provided to make me want to stay, but for now I won't waste my time. Expand
  9. Feb 18, 2012
    I decided to play this game because I am a long term fan of Bioware. When I think back to neverwinter nights and Mass Effect 1 and Dragon age 1, I can say I am an avid Bioware fan. However, this game disappointed me to the point that I occasionally wonder why I like Bioware games. What is absolutely unacceptable is the customer service. When I asked for help regarding having lost myI decided to play this game because I am a long term fan of Bioware. When I think back to neverwinter nights and Mass Effect 1 and Dragon age 1, I can say I am an avid Bioware fan. However, this game disappointed me to the point that I occasionally wonder why I like Bioware games. What is absolutely unacceptable is the customer service. When I asked for help regarding having lost my security and therefore being unable to enter the game, they did not do anything. In fact, there is a fairly well known pattern that the customer service tickets are neither closed nor kept open but rather simply deleted without even so much professionalism as a form letter.

This would not be such a big problem if there were not so many bugs and balance issues. In terms of balance issues, the players on the sith side in the game tend to be so devoted to the game that in most pvp fights there is no chance for republic to win unless you outnumber the sith. Unfortunately, since republic players seem to quit the game when they get to level 50, this does not happen much, making the Level 50 planet pretty much a dead zone, while the Sith wait around to kill any republic players who come. This provides no enjoyable experience for either side.

It may be a lesser problem is the servers are populated well, but the player numbers has substantially dwindled since opening and you would be lucky to find 20 people on your entire PLANET.
    There is a pvp warzone area that automatically gathers people to play pvp, but you'll find that there are so many hackers and speed boosters that the games are plainly unfair. Any of my customer service tickets regarding hacking in the game have, or course, simply been deleted without result. I would say that you can even things out by hacking and boosting yourself and using exploits (such as the /stuck exploit that returns full health to you in pvp) also, but what I want from the game is not to see who can hack better.

Remaining to do in the game is the standard item farming grindfest at level 50, where drops have recently been decreased in frequency so that your daily grinding quests require more time.

The one redeeming quality is that the beautiful graphics are absolutely stunning, and the sound is gorgeous. But I'm definitely a gameplay person, and I would rather play something that gives me a sense of accomplishment and fun as opposed to play a beautifully rendered variant of complicated game of pong.
  10. Jan 3, 2012
    I have played various MMO's over the years including WoW which I have played since BC and I had the chance to do extensive Beta Testing for SWTOR before it was released. I enjoyed certain parts of it and the interface and UI was very friendly as somone who has played WoW extensively. I had no problem adapting to most of the controls. My biggest issue was the amount of lag that wasI have played various MMO's over the years including WoW which I have played since BC and I had the chance to do extensive Beta Testing for SWTOR before it was released. I enjoyed certain parts of it and the interface and UI was very friendly as somone who has played WoW extensively. I had no problem adapting to most of the controls. My biggest issue was the amount of lag that was prevalent in certain areas. My system runs games like WoW and Skyrim on Ultra without a problem and I was very frustrated by the lag issues even in a fairly unpopulated questing area. The Story and zones were fun and enjoyable if on the small side as far as zone size and variety but the lag and gameplay bugs made it frustrating to play, based on that I would have to give it a negative review untill those issues can be resolved. If those can be fixed I would probably rate this a 7-8. Expand
  11. Jan 11, 2012
    Got bored at level 30, its wow except worse.
    They blind you with shiny videos and screen caps, but the game is on par with a 2001-2005 mmo.
    Its fun for a bit, but once that new car smell fades, it quickly starts to stink in the room.
    Basically, its a single player mmo with bad visuals, terrible community, and ran by liars.
  12. Feb 17, 2012
    If you are reading these review you will note that people who dislike the game discuss exactly what is wrong with the game. Why they feel the way they do about the game and all the aspects involved and the experience they had with it.

While on the other hand Reviewers who give the game a good score tend to spend a majority attacking the character of those giving it a bad score and very

While on the other hand

Reviewers who give the game a good score tend to spend a majority attacking the character of those giving it a bad score and very little time actually discussing the game beyond "omg this game is amazing"

Really says it all about which kind of person you should be listening too.

It is to be expected, starwars fans are pretty fanatical. Fanatical mentality leads to zealtry which leads to blind love. But good for them though, they get to enjoy something long-term otherwise impossible.
  13. Mar 30, 2012
    If I view this game as a solo play then I would give it a 8. But as a MMO its a different story. If the company that made it is not BioWare then my score would be a 7. I truly expected the suns and the stars out of them. Instead all I got was a chip out of the same old dull block. For those who have not yet played this yet my advise is to wait. The old republic is now more like a solo RPGIf I view this game as a solo play then I would give it a 8. But as a MMO its a different story. If the company that made it is not BioWare then my score would be a 7. I truly expected the suns and the stars out of them. Instead all I got was a chip out of the same old dull block. For those who have not yet played this yet my advise is to wait. The old republic is now more like a solo RPG with multiplayer option added in. Expand
  14. Apr 12, 2012
    If you think paying full price for a half finished product is a great thing then SWTOR is the game you are looking for.

It is beyond obvious that the SWTOR project was rushed to market at least 1 year early based on the numerous bugs, incomplete game elements and most importantly the game's barely fuctioning engine. PvP is a disgrace and PvE aside from the voice overs is nothing to write

PvP is a disgrace and PvE aside from the voice overs is nothing to write home about. EA/Bioware have been peddling this game nonstop while exercising the integrity of a sleazy used car lot salesman at every opportunity.

The game is just under 4 months old and 85% of the servers are already nearly abandoned due to customers cancelling out despite EA/Bioware's propoganda to the contrary. At the rate things are heading, SWTOR will end up being a F2P title by the end of 2012.
  15. May 8, 2012
    What this game does right, it does really right, but so much of that is purely single player content. I feel like the single player leveling experience was developed in a vacuum and the MMO portions were likewise developed separately, and then at a very late stage they were slapped together.

I immensely enjoyed my trip from 1-50 on my Republic Commando, then hit a wall with the complete disconnect between the single player experience and what passed for the endgame. Why didn't my character's story tie into an end game raid? Or why did it not even tie into the flashpoints along the way? They should have felt like organic parts of the leveling experience, not glorified coop missions that were utterly disconnected from the rest of the storyline. The best I can say is that SWTOR is a single player game with online functionality and on-disc DLC you rent for $15 a month. I'd have kept my sub for a few months if I hadn't paid $60 up front, but I wasn't about to keep renting that content when I wasn't getting MMO functionality out of it.

I'd have given it a 7, still, because of how much I enjoyed that leveling experience, but the lack of so many crucial current-gen MMO features made me kick it down a notch, and also reinforces my belief that it was designed as a single player game first, so such features just weren't even considered.
  16. Apr 21, 2012
    To me, this game is a single player RPG with annoying MMO bits tacked on. The single player RPG parts are watered down and wildly outdated, and the MMO parts are fairly terrible. Still, it's kind of fun, and I did enjoy parts of the story and levelling up (even if combat is a fairly bland grind compared to some other MMOs). I did have more fun with this than several other games, even ifTo me, this game is a single player RPG with annoying MMO bits tacked on. The single player RPG parts are watered down and wildly outdated, and the MMO parts are fairly terrible. Still, it's kind of fun, and I did enjoy parts of the story and levelling up (even if combat is a fairly bland grind compared to some other MMOs). I did have more fun with this than several other games, even if SW:TOR was mostly a disappointment for me. Expand
  17. May 3, 2013
    Outdated gameplay, terrbile engine, dull dumbed down story-telling, very little endgame content, very little character-customization, this was destined to fail (unfortunatly).
  18. Mar 28, 2013
    Star Wars The Old Republic is a free to play MMORPG developed by Bioware. Since its release at the end of 2011, the game has won many awards, including best MMO and best PC exclusive in 2011. The game is set during the times of the old republic which is over three thousand years before the rise of Darth Vader in the classic Star Wars films. In game you will have to choose whether you areStar Wars The Old Republic is a free to play MMORPG developed by Bioware. Since its release at the end of 2011, the game has won many awards, including best MMO and best PC exclusive in 2011. The game is set during the times of the old republic which is over three thousand years before the rise of Darth Vader in the classic Star Wars films. In game you will have to choose whether you are part of the galactic republic or the dark side of the evil empire. You will also have to choose your character class which determines the set of skills and abilities you will be able to have in game, such as being able to wield a light sabre or use a series of blasters and other long range weapons.

The game is suitable for most players due to its lack of bloody violence and foul language, however to the fact that the game is online and that you must be 13+ to register, it is recommended that this game is for teens and above.

Star wars The Old Republic has many built in features that make the game one of the best MMO’s available. The story telling is incredible down to the decision making within game, as every choice you make can alter the way the rest of the game will pan out for you and how others may react to you within game and will also determine your path of either light or the dark side. The game also has a stunning range of cinematic for both action scenes and conversations between players and A.I. The other cool function about any movie clip is your whole online party appear in the clip with your character and interact with the A.I in the same clips as you do, meaning that the whole game can be played together, between you and your friends.

Not only are you able to share your adventure with real friends, but you can also have an A.I companion which will accompany throughout your game. Your companions can also be customised to your preference, such as appearance and behaviour when facing enemies.

The combat system in SWTOR is a dynamic and detailed masterpiece, where every battle almost seems like a fight from the movies, as well as being on such a large scale. You are also granted your own personal star ship to fly in game, so there will also be intense space battles where you are made to attack or defend in your very own vehicle.

The game is also a full MMO, featuring massive multiplayer environments, player-vs.-player Warzones, multi-player Flashpoints, multi-group Operations, guilds, auction houses, crafting, mounts, and much more.

There is one downside to the game however, which is even though the game is free to unlock features such as operations and warzones, you must pay a £10 monthly subscription fee, however, if you enjoy the game that much then it is definitely worth becoming a member. I myself am a member and the jump from non-paid to paid offers so much more for the game, but it will only really be worth the £10 if you play the game enough. I rate Star Wars the Old Republic a solid 8/10, due to its amazing multiplayer functionality and compelling story line. The only thing that lets it down is the fact it is £10 a month if you want to play the game to its fullest potential, which is a lot for game, as that would be £120 pound a year just for extra features.
  19. Jan 20, 2012
    Making a MMO out of a RPG was just the wrong decision. Another disappointment for KOTOR fans. Hopefully, EA will start listening to their customer base and tailoring their games to meet the desires of their customers. This was just a grab for quick cash using Bioware's long-standing good name.
  20. Jan 29, 2012
    Released a bugged piece of **** as any EA game. Horribly optimized, I would drop below 30 fps in high settings on a machine that runs BF3 on ultra. Most features are a copy of WoW, although this isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself. But being a massive budget MMO, this is really a disappointment.
  21. Jan 20, 2012
    Game getting more and more broken with each patch. Could've been a great game if they only knew how to code/hadn't used the Hero Engine. Currently seem to be playing fps lotto, as fps can magically change between logging in and out of game (back to same spot) for no reason at all (not changing settings my end). Running on an i7 2600K and 8gigs DDR3 RAM @1600, and 460GTX 1gig, so should beGame getting more and more broken with each patch. Could've been a great game if they only knew how to code/hadn't used the Hero Engine. Currently seem to be playing fps lotto, as fps can magically change between logging in and out of game (back to same spot) for no reason at all (not changing settings my end). Running on an i7 2600K and 8gigs DDR3 RAM @1600, and 460GTX 1gig, so should be seeing better performance than this. Not happy :( Will adjust my score of doom should they one day learn to patch. Expand
  22. Dec 29, 2011
    This game has a lot of potential however in it's current form is nothing worth purchasing. Seems to me Bioware / EA released this game too early only in effort to collect people's subscriptions while they then finish polishing the game off, adding features and fixing bugs that should have been in at launch. The questing is completely unique and unlike any other MMO I've ever played,This game has a lot of potential however in it's current form is nothing worth purchasing. Seems to me Bioware / EA released this game too early only in effort to collect people's subscriptions while they then finish polishing the game off, adding features and fixing bugs that should have been in at launch. The questing is completely unique and unlike any other MMO I've ever played, however as with an MMO, questing is only a means to an end to which this game is severely lacking. Almost no UI customization (can't even resize the existing UI, which I would argue is just awful), no combat log, just a standard LFG channel (no tool like in Wow), no achievement, Legacy mode (which was hyped up by Bioware) is "coming soon", no macros and seems no support for 3rd party add-ons in the near future at all, combat is incredibly clunky as can be seen from numerous youtube videos where the game prioritizes combat animations over cooldowns, forcing you to wait for an animation to finish before you can use another ability.

I could go on and on about what this game is missing and why it's lacking but in the end it doesn't compete with other MMO's out right now for features and content. Maybe in 3-4 months it will but I'm not paying a subscription fee to hope.
  23. Jan 6, 2012
    Read a review from someone who has actually played the game to max level and tried a mix of PvP and endgame content. The core of this game comprises two core elements: story-driven and Star Wars. And to be quite honest, if you don't love both of these with equal weight you won't like this game. This is a Knight of the Old Republic successor that has been given a facelift and a whole lot ofRead a review from someone who has actually played the game to max level and tried a mix of PvP and endgame content. The core of this game comprises two core elements: story-driven and Star Wars. And to be quite honest, if you don't love both of these with equal weight you won't like this game. This is a Knight of the Old Republic successor that has been given a facelift and a whole lot of real estate to allow for multiple stories to run in parallel. So you create your hero alongside other players of the same faction and, later on, next to the occasional enemy. For some, this trait alone breaks the whole attempt of immersion. But let's be real, every game's immersion breaks down at some point, and the ability to close the chat box (the lack of chat bubbles as well as the option to remove the name of other player's companions) makes for an easy solution to the common complaint of "story is moot when immersion is broken so early." The Companion system in an MMO is, simply put, revolutionary. It's well balanced to give you more roleplaying choices (gearing up, following companion side-quests, etc.) as well as eliminating much of the tediousness of crafting. Crafting also has a depth to it that rewards persistence. On the other hand, crafting is unfortunately on the bottom rung toward gear, being eclipsed rather early by PvE and PvP content. Unfortunately this game is far from perfect. The PvP, though ambitious in some respects, falls short of the whole Star Wars Expand
  24. Jan 12, 2012
    I can in good conscience give this game 1/10.

This game was the direct product of copy and paste. They took World of Warcraft circa 2006, and put it in blender with KOTOR. The result is TOR. To boot: it costed them so much money to create the KOTOR aspects of the game, that the combat responsiveness and other standard MMO mechanics are sloppy at best. This is a poor excuse for a game.
    I can in good conscience give this game 1/10.

This game was the direct product of copy and paste.

This is a poor excuse for a game.

I gave it 1 single point because parts of the story, at times, can be engaging. Then they drone on and on and on and on..............
  25. Jan 21, 2012
    This game had a lot of potential but unfortunately it was released early and many key features were not thoroughly tested. Cheating in this game is rampant and customer is some of the worst I have ever had the misfortune of witnessing. I have repeatedly reported credit farmers for a week straight several times and day and nothing was ever done. These people were allowed to operate withThis game had a lot of potential but unfortunately it was released early and many key features were not thoroughly tested. Cheating in this game is rampant and customer is some of the worst I have ever had the misfortune of witnessing. I have repeatedly reported credit farmers for a week straight several times and day and nothing was ever done. These people were allowed to operate with impunity and when I attempted to interfere with their credit farming I was the one who ended up suspended. The lag is terrible in this game and the pvp is a borefest. I have seen finger painters create more interesting art than what is found in this game. All in all I am very disappointed with this game and its abject failures in all the important areas needed for a successful MMO. Expand
  26. Mar 16, 2012
    Very typical MMO in that it plays very similarly to wow.

Very typical MMO in that it plays very similarly to wow.

I like the specialization of classes, except that you cannot undo that decision, so if you go with one sub class you have to re-roll and level the same character to swap to the other sub class. This is a design oversight in my eye. II found that overall the story was very generic, and the Empire side was to evil for evils sake and the republic felt very vanilla, in a goody two shoes way. Technically, the game looks good and has a good level of polish, but I did run into stability issues and some setting and the game has lowish frame rates on a high-end system. I also noticed that you don't really have to interact with other players and found that as with most MMOs the other players usually make the experience worse so this was a plus or a minus depending on your point of view. One interesting mechanic I loved was the space combat, It was a good idea that needs refinement. I would like to see it evolve into a full "flight sim" implementation as opposed to the current scripted track implementation. Overall if you are tired of fantasy MMOs and want something with a different flavor give this a shot, just be prepared because to me it felt like wow with lightsabers.
  27. Jan 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a short version of the review posted on Gamespot Sobaka770. (character limit)

BOREDOM. This is a feeling that trumps all the talk about the good points of the game. If there's one thing that Bioware does well, it's the story writing and dialogue. In such a huge game as TOR is, there are bound to be the highs and lows in everything but in ensemble the whole of the writing is a solid A and another solid A for voice acting. I see why people would enjoy this game especially during the initial levels when the skills come fast, the quest chain quickly and the main storyline is developing at a frenetic pace. And then there are the 20-s and the 30-s, the levels (out of 50 by the way) when things tend to slow down in MMORPGs and when my love for this game vanished and the veil was torn off my face. This is the time when you start to really loathe the fact that the gameplay mechanics are duplicating those from World of Warcraft (and there can be no discussion on this front) and even more so, there's no improvement whatsoever over them in any way. This is more than playing it safe, this is blatant copying. I guess there's no patent for gameplay mechanics but running the fetch quests and kill the mobs quests was the trademark of vanilla WoW and this game cannot be compared to vanilla WoW. The market just doesn't work like that. Sure the original World of Warcraft had just one raid and several instances and bugs, but at the same time everyone seems to forget that it was innovative in so many areas. It had quite a quick leveling structure , accessible mechanics, and it was streamlined for mass market. Never before crafting, questing, dungeon-running was so simple and attractive. TOR 2011 is neither more accessible, neither more innovative and neither more fun than any other game on this market. There's a lot to be said for main storyline and "gripping" fully-voiced quests. Unfortunatlely, from my point of view, those are not an essential element of the game. I had no problem with reading quest plots before, and fully voiced quest givers while cool initially started to wear out their welcome also towards level 20. As of now things work like this: there's a quest hub with around 5 (more or less) quest-givers. You spend half an hour just talking to them all and then you get 5 generic quests in your log all for the same zone and unless you're particularly invested in the storylines or just very attentive you might remember the reason behind killing the particular mobs on this level. As of now let me just say that I'm yet to see one quest that would break the monotony of mindless slaughter. Sure you can say that Space combat is cool. But it's not tied into any storyline and frankly on the 3d mission the space combat gets boring. PvP is accessible since level 10, and while there are no brackets. the stats scale as to match people in terms of health at least. To Bioware's credit, with proper class balance and maybe some tactics, this can be actually salvaged.
    What can't be salvaged though is the dullness that is the graphic component of the game. This is yet another example of "realistic" brown-gray filter art that makes all the locations look bland. It looks like the best animators and artist were drafted to the ME3 team. Add to it the world which is splintered into subzones and the feeling of the immersion is somehow lost. You can see the effort on the part of the team, in the art-deco style of Coruscant and the ship designs, but once again the spark is missing. The zones are empty and filled up with artificial people you can't even interact with. A good example is the Senate of Coruscant which looks good from afar but you can't walk around it, you can't even climb anywhere around it, therefore the structure looks like a painting. What is worse is when you enter the senate you get the main hall (good) and corridors on each side with same architecture separated as there's only a unique class able to access certain areas. That's not how a cohesive world is created! And here is the main problem with the game. It was not designed as a multiplayer game world from the start. Overall, this is not a good continuation of Kotor. The atmosphere is still there among the plotlines but the feel is certainly not the same. There's a distinct lack of polish (mentioned before unclickable NPCs, empty locations, several simple chat, group and UI functions not available). Compare this not to WoW but to KOTOR the first where you can't go to cantina in Sith uniform on Taris to see what I mean by polish and attention to detail. I only recommend it if you're a die-hard fan of Star Wars, but the KOTOR players will probably be disappointed. At this point even the Mass Effect universe is overall a better crafted and genuinely interesting world compared to the one of TOR limited due to the licensing. If you're new to MMOs , WoW is a better package and I honestly can't recommend this game over it.
  28. Feb 1, 2012
    If this wasn't marketed as an MMO I'd be giving it a significantly higher score. Unfortunately, Bioware thinks that you can simply add some auction houses and call any old RPG "massively multiplayer." The terrible engine, non-fluid combat mechanics, broken endgame, and terrible PvP make this one of the stand-out disappointments in my 25 year history of gaming.

SWTOR is not a bad game, but

SWTOR is not a bad game, but it's very far from a good one. I refuse to pay $15/month to rent a single player game.
  29. Feb 6, 2012
    This game is not an MMORPG worth checking out; it is a retarded little brother of World of Warcraft. I didn't like the partying system, nor the crafting system, nor the levling or questing system, and the game had nothing unique to it besides the Star Wars lore.
  30. Jan 9, 2012
    Got to level 35 and I am done. It is just not very fun. The best part is the voice acting and the atmosphere because I love star wars. I do not like the cartoony looks of the game, didn't think it would annoy me but it sure does. The combat is not fun at all. The world doesn't feel like a large populated world. I wasn't even a kotor 3 supporter and now I wish they would have made that instead.
  31. Dec 20, 2011
    I give this game a "5" simply because it REALLY is a middle of the road game. It's not "bad" ... it's not "good. It's just... meh. If this game were released under any other IP than Star Wars I wouldn't even consider playing it. PvP is boring and undynamic... PvE is formulaic.... the story is interesting but that's about all the game has going for it. Once the story is over I don't seeI give this game a "5" simply because it REALLY is a middle of the road game. It's not "bad" ... it's not "good. It's just... meh. If this game were released under any other IP than Star Wars I wouldn't even consider playing it. PvP is boring and undynamic... PvE is formulaic.... the story is interesting but that's about all the game has going for it. Once the story is over I don't see myself staying. Expand
  32. Dec 29, 2011
    Rip off that's what this is. They should have implemented a more dynamic combat system, and look for a different model like f2p as loads of amazing games are coming up with like age of connan , dc universe, lotro, guild of wars etc...
  33. Jan 19, 2012
    Linear, online single-player RPG with no endgame content outside of repetitive "flaspoint" raids and broken, unbalanced PvP. But it's Star Wars!!! ........
  34. Jan 2, 2012
    To sum it up with a quote from the game loading screen: "a Bioware employee will never ask you for your password".

If you're looking for something different than World of Warcraft, note that this game is a bland copy down to the loading screens.
  35. Jan 21, 2012
    Not usually a SW fan a friend convinced me to level with him and so I agreed to trial and tried to like it for his sake. This did not happen however. What I ended up getting was a poorly disguised WoW clone with little to no innovation for the genre and a few steps back. It is also a very ugly game and the textures and model work would not look out of place in a game of several years ago.Not usually a SW fan a friend convinced me to level with him and so I agreed to trial and tried to like it for his sake. This did not happen however. What I ended up getting was a poorly disguised WoW clone with little to no innovation for the genre and a few steps back. It is also a very ugly game and the textures and model work would not look out of place in a game of several years ago. Race choices are the same human shape with one special head feature/colour. Want to play as an interesting race? Too bad! Firstly, the acclaimed quest dialogue. After a brief cutscene and a chat with someone I promptly forgot, where I had to choose an option that had zero effect other than the next line of flavour text, I was sent into the MMO standard Kill X amount of Y because I said so quest. Then it happened again. And again. "Within minutes of starting the game you're doing things you wouldn't expect to be doing in other MMOs" is an outright lie. No, you're not. It's boring like every other MMO. On the first planet this is OK, it's initially pretty cool to have all this dialogue and OK to have a slow start. Midway through the second planet though, when things didn't pick up, the poorly written story, reused lines and the occasional voice actor change mid-dialogue grated on me so much I spent the entire rest of my time pressing space bar to skip through all of it, pausing only to select the comedy option or the ones that give me light/dark side points because otherwise conversation has little to no effect (indeed I can only remember one instance of a choice having any effect outside of the same conversation and no quests having any lasting effect) which makes me question why the dialogue wheel is even there, it could easily be replaced by an â Expand
  36. Jan 1, 2012
    Saying that The Old Republic is another World of Warcraft clone is an insult to World of Warcraft. Bioware has basically crafted a single player/co-op campaign experience with PvP arenas, and a virtual lobby. Why not just drop the Lucasartâ
  37. Jan 12, 2012
    Think single player game with on okay story and a monthly subscription. If you weren't an altolic in WoW this game provides limited replayability, no more than 10 or 15% of the quests are class specific and the stories aren't amazing. As far as MMOs go, as much as it pains me to say it, WoW does everything better. Once you hit 50 there is no more story. PvP is basic and more generic thanThink single player game with on okay story and a monthly subscription. If you weren't an altolic in WoW this game provides limited replayability, no more than 10 or 15% of the quests are class specific and the stories aren't amazing. As far as MMOs go, as much as it pains me to say it, WoW does everything better. Once you hit 50 there is no more story. PvP is basic and more generic than WoW. It boils down to the normal PvP / Raid gear grind that has driven so many of us away from WoW but in a much less polished and much less original wrapping. Expand
  38. Jan 12, 2012
    I was really looking forward to this game,got it for christmas and couldnt wait to play it.When i finally was able to i was extremely disappointed to find a cookie cutter version of WoW a game which i never liked.Maybe i should have known what i was getting but i really wasnt expecting a WoW copy.

I still gave it a try and leveled one character to 18 and another to 23 before just putting it down.The voice acting was great and the class stories were well written but that just wasnt enough to hold my interest through many many hours of grinding .
  39. Feb 4, 2012
    It has good Voice Acting but this score is way more important in for example an animated movie/TV show than in a MMORPG. Levelling Until lvl 11 is nice if you go further it becomes very linear in a crappy environment. About end game: My guild stopped operations because of game breaking bugs, and lack off people because they didn't like this game in this state and pvp is very bad andIt has good Voice Acting but this score is way more important in for example an animated movie/TV show than in a MMORPG. Levelling Until lvl 11 is nice if you go further it becomes very linear in a crappy environment. About end game: My guild stopped operations because of game breaking bugs, and lack off people because they didn't like this game in this state and pvp is very bad and unbalanced. Besides PVE/PVP like exploring datacrons(Strange fault in the game is if body type 3 can´t reach them), dailies everything is disappointing. Its a static universe, mobs and NPCs are static, no freedom, to much walls/blockades, linearity, to much is instanced/sharded. You enter a building/cave which mostly all lookalike eachother and are very linear. Lots seems copy pasted. But the worst thing is if your done your looking at a wall and you can better die to turn in your quest instead of running that entire questinstance back same way you came in. The game is claustrophobic, straight edged, much copy pasted elevators and things. Everything but a real planet, a real world, or an MMORPG world can feel like. Feels like you live in a maze, a prison. Hard to imagine flying with your spaceship over the planets because its like the walls in this game want you to keep in the labyrinth. Or even land and take off yourself instead of seeing the same copy pasted video of your ship landing/take off on all locations.
    The engine is horrible, the programming is horrible if you open any tab like inventory, map, character screen you have screen freezes and you can feel this sort of clunkiness throughout the whole game like ability delay and much more. There is no logic in ability rotations and talent trees are copied from WoW.

The main thing to play MMORPG's are about dynamical content not static content (story). Here it goes wrong in the first place. But to be short every department in this game has shortcomings, flaws, bugs and illogical things. From the character selection screen to endgame.

They say SWTOR has potential but seeing the list of issues... Also since the beta practically nothing changed and they did 1 year!! over a flashpoint (Kaon Under Siege) i can't really say it has potential although I hope it.

Lucas should have done a SWG 2 with good pve/pvp and gameplay.
  40. Mar 21, 2012
    Was intending a pretty complete review but whats the point. You have reviews here that say basically 'mediocre=9' and 'not great but theres trolls here so I give it 10' Anyway - its not massive - you may have 15 people on the planet with you and half them will be in solo instances - that's not Massive or a way to build friends lists. Some great voices and good acting - in the classWas intending a pretty complete review but whats the point. You have reviews here that say basically 'mediocre=9' and 'not great but theres trolls here so I give it 10' Anyway - its not massive - you may have 15 people on the planet with you and half them will be in solo instances - that's not Massive or a way to build friends lists. Some great voices and good acting - in the class storylines. I have played 4 classes and one was excellent, 2 very good and one pretty poor. I liked bounty hunter best and republic trooper least - also did jedi knight and sith sorcerer. But the non-storyline quests are mundane 'kill 20 greater slimes' quests - grind. And when they make me run all over and back again - in a world with instant holo-communicators - that's just inexcusable. The class balancing, options beyond the classic healer, tank, ranged dps, melee dps , integration between the solo training content and the later group/endgame content is bad. Integration of the crew ship is bad, integration of space combat is bad. PVP is pretty much all separate - different gear, different skill trees - that's bad. PVP and raiding players all start to look identical - cause there's basically one look for your class with some minor color differentiation. The custom armor is nice - before endgame - but I haven't seen one whole set of armor - at best there is a matching chest, pants, hat. Reverse engineering is disappointing - both in the limitations on what can be reversed and the sometimes extreme number of items to improve a schematic. Getting materials is also a disappointment with some materials nearly impossible to find (e.g. electrum) and the harvesting crew skills having such limited missions. And then of course most trades are useless at endgame - anyone want a level 49 purple armor or weapon when the raid and pvp vendors give out level 51, 56, 58 stuff? 3 for system requirements - The lag for having 20 people around is bad - too bad for the system requirements. Likewise the graphics are no better than a 4 year old EQ2 - except they take 3x the resources. 8 for great class stories and actors - definitely some 10's but not all of them. 3 for grindy - mundane non-storyline quests - an average 5 minus some for un-neccessary run-arounds that don't fit in a world with instant-comms. 3 for PVP - 7 for fun instanced PVP - but subtract a bunch for making me play huttball over and over and over and not fixing it so some classes can't ruin that game by flying across the court without running or passing the ball. 2 for open-world PVP - basically Ilum. 3 for way over-hyping the marketing and under-preparing the support team. 3 for innovation. Nothing new here that was done well. A lot of important stuff missing. Subtract for messing things up for explorers. Oh and for that VIP lounge pass I paid a million for to get essentially - nothing. And it seems a crime to make us put so much into companions only to make them useless in the endgame. Overuse of british accents for the imperials and too much gibberish from the many alien languages on the republic side - both annoying by level 20. Fun for 3 months - about the levelling of 3 toons - maybe 5 months for some people. Then the questing gets too grindy and you start to look at endgame instead. Only to find population problems in addition to the usuall 'shortage of non-fun raid roles' problems. A really good MMORPG is fun for years. I give it a 4 overall. Well below the bar set by existing competing games. Lacking in anything new. Under-performing relative to the machine it needs. But still quite fun - for a little while. Several good performances and some nice artwork. Expand
  41. Dec 13, 2012
    Star Wars the Old Republic, is the first MMORPG in a long time to hold my attention for more than a few months. The game's story is engrossing and fun. Yes, it takes many of its mechanics from World of Warcraft, but it's a worth game in its own right. The game gets a bad rap for not meeting every player's dreams for the game, but it is only a game. It can't fulfill every person'sStar Wars the Old Republic, is the first MMORPG in a long time to hold my attention for more than a few months. The game's story is engrossing and fun. Yes, it takes many of its mechanics from World of Warcraft, but it's a worth game in its own right. The game gets a bad rap for not meeting every player's dreams for the game, but it is only a game. It can't fulfill every person's needs. It's a good game and I recommend anyone try it, especially now that it is Free to play. Expand
  42. Dec 29, 2011
    I am pretty satisfied with what I'm seeing so far. Gameplay is pretty good. The quests are story driven (which I really like). Being in parties are fun. The areas you explore are humongous. I only have one character who is a sith assassin, and I'm having fun with that route. Though it does tend to get repetitive at times but that doesn't really bother me that much. If you liked KOTOR andI am pretty satisfied with what I'm seeing so far. Gameplay is pretty good. The quests are story driven (which I really like). Being in parties are fun. The areas you explore are humongous. I only have one character who is a sith assassin, and I'm having fun with that route. Though it does tend to get repetitive at times but that doesn't really bother me that much. If you liked KOTOR and pretty much anything bioware has released in the last 5 years than you will most likely enjoy this game. With that all said, I have a suggestion for anyone who is entirely dependent on critic and user reviews. Don't be. Unfortunately there are company's who have bought reviews, and it is blatantly obvious that there are a lot of trolling user reviewers who give ridiculous scores on both ends of the spectrum, especially on metacritic. I was tracking the score for The Old Republic for the first 10 minutes on metacritic because I was curious, and what I saw was a pretty large influx of negative reviews. 10 minutes, all they could have done is literally watch the beginning cinematic and done maybe only one quest. It's highly possible that most of the negative reviewers haven't even played the game, and they are just hating on bioware out of spite because of some stupid vendetta they hold against the company. You know now that I've said that, I even saw one review on this game admittedly saying that he is giving the game a 0 because he is "protesting the company". Don't buy into this crap guys. In fact, you will see this for literally every game that is listed on metacritic. You will even see people giving the original Star Wars: Knights of the old republic incredibly low ratings just because they hate bioware. You will see people giving 0s to games like Skyrim because they don't like Bethesda. Hell, I bet when Mass Effect 3 comes out there will be at least 10 negative reviews in the first 30 minutes since its been released. Now, on the other end of the spectrum you will see people throwing in a bunch of tens as well. You shouldn't always trust these scores as well. Look at Modern Warfare 3, there are people giving that game a 10 when it's basically a copy pasta of Modern Warfare 2. Now I'm not saying that every bad review is a fake, there are people who do have valid complaints about the game. One of them is that the game can be repetitive, and that's fine. Not every high scored review is a fake either, the certain game could have been simply amazing. Though I am saying that you should not base your purchases entirely off of metacritic scores. Go around the internet and do a little bit more research instead. What's even better is to ask people you know. Those are my two cents, and I hope it helps whoever is reading this make good decisions about what to purchase in the future. Not that I'm saying that The Old Republic is a bad purchase but you know what I mean. Expand
  43. Jan 6, 2012
    As far as MMOs go, at least the launch went smoothly. The first thing you will realize with this game is that they have copied a lot of what works in terms of gameplay mechanics from others MMOs like World of Warcraft. There's no denying that the similarities are plentiful. The differences are there as well though. Questgivers as well as your own character is fully voiced though the storyAs far as MMOs go, at least the launch went smoothly. The first thing you will realize with this game is that they have copied a lot of what works in terms of gameplay mechanics from others MMOs like World of Warcraft. There's no denying that the similarities are plentiful. The differences are there as well though. Questgivers as well as your own character is fully voiced though the story that is told when you do quests. Zones have a lot of instanced content, both for singleplayer and grouping. Graphics are good, but there are some bugs here and there. Questing does become repetetive, and by the time your reach the mid 30s in level you just want to reach the cap at 50 as quickly as possible because of this. But overall the game is solid and definitely worth a buy if you are a Star Wars fan. Expand
  44. Feb 1, 2012
    5.9 while writing this - not a completely unfair score, imo. Maybe a bit on the rough side but I'll agree with a 6.
    It's production value certainly raises it above the lowest scores. Some parts of this game works great :)
    The mmo-part - that the game is build upon - feels very old fashioned and in some areas just old. Some parts of this game doesn't work at all :( If Bioware shows us that
    If Bioware shows us that they have a flexible engine and capable programmers that are able to implement much needed features I will raise the score, I believe. For some reason a little part of me is doubtful about this, unfortunately.
  45. Feb 7, 2012
    It is a typical MMO, yet a MMO that should not deserve so much hate. As much as I want to try making these people's hate go towards Mists of Pandaria, they seem very focused on this MMO because of the words "BioWare" and "EA", so I just want to take this chance to clarify somethings about this MMO and show that, yes it does not accomplish much, it is just another MMO. I tried writing theIt is a typical MMO, yet a MMO that should not deserve so much hate. As much as I want to try making these people's hate go towards Mists of Pandaria, they seem very focused on this MMO because of the words "BioWare" and "EA", so I just want to take this chance to clarify somethings about this MMO and show that, yes it does not accomplish much, it is just another MMO. I tried writing the rest of this review not comparing this other MMOs (it is a personal policy of mine I have taken recently that I should not compare it to other games of the same genre, but rather judge it by itself), I personally felt like I had to bring up WoW to prove a quick point. Hopefully it will not anger too many people :) But lets get down to the point. I give it a 6.5/10 (based on the old style of grading, not the new style where anything below 9 is **** Though this game really offers nothing new to MMO's honestly, it accomplished what was expected in MMOs, and I will give it credit for that at least. The gameplay is nothing too new, though they try adding a new "pattern" to the users of Smugglers and Imperial Agents, which (depending on spec) they must take cover to use certain abilities. Though not overly complex, they add a new pattern in your typical rotations from past MMOs, giving it a slightly new feel. Most spells are nothing new, very typical for most MMOs (if any of you has seen the famous pictures of how TOR stole spells from WoW, you will see that half the spells people say were stolen are actually fairly common spell. Like you haven't seen a heal over time spell in other MMOs?). The PvP is not exactly balanced, but hey, Yahtzee brought up a very valid point: "Cows go moo, dogs go bark, MMO nerds go PvP is broken" or something along the lines of that. I'm not exactly sure if Illum actually got broken again, but if you read the patch notes, they fixed the big problem at Illum the next day (which a lot of people shut their mouths and acted like they never complained about it). For the review of the "story" aspect, I have to divide it up into two short sections. Class stories are actually not that bad (Imperial wise, no idea what Republic is like, not hearing nice things about it though). I honestly don't see hope in the Bounty Hunter story, but the rest of the Imperial classes have actually fairly interesting stories, not unbearable by any means honestly. Though, the regular stories (regular quests that anyone can pick up) are where the problem lies: they're nothing special and some truly do disgrace the things set up in KOTOR, which this aspect is the biggest problem I have with this game. They really slapped the fan's of the original KOTOR series face, example you get this quest line where you help out the 'Revanites', the followers of the infamous Revan. While I was doing this, I was like "Holy **** this is terribad".
    The 'moral' system is basically forced upon you. If you don't have any light/dark side points, you won't be able to get to the better gear, but honestly, I cannot imagine that many people NOT choosing Light/Dark options, especially in a BioWare game. This was just my personal view on this game. Not the perfect MMO at all, not the best, but I am ok with this MMO until Guild Wars 2 comes out. Hope this review was helpful (was tired while writing this). I really could have written so much more, but I'm too tired and it would have taken way too long and used too much space to write all the info I wanted to write ._. Oh well, it is very mediocre at best, not the best MMO, not 4.0 bad, but mediocre. I'll just leave off by saying: It's a MMO. You either ok with it or you despise it.

Hope I don't cause a ****storm.
  46. May 20, 2012
    When almost everyone was a kid, they dreamed about being a Jedi, or occasionally Sith. We dreamed about wielding a sword made out light/plasma/whatever. We dreamed about being able to use the force and being a near unstoppable force for good.

The Old Republic gives you the exact opposite. In fact, it gives you something worse than the George Lucas Prequels. First off: Somehow the clone

First off: Somehow the clone trooper armor is in the republic, despite the fact that it's a long time before the Clone Wars.

Second: Star Wars was not fit to be an MMO. Galaxies proved that.

Third: The quests are boring and time consuming. I only got one of my ten characters past the starting world

Forth: I don't know if this applies to all, but when I paid sixty dollars for the game, it didn't come with a subscription. I paid a total of a hundred dollars to start up an MMO and keep it for four months... A waste.

Fifth: As many have stated previously, it has the exact same gameplay as almost any other MMO. Like many games, it is good, but quickly becomes repetitive, boring, and useless. It's not worth the sixty bucks.
  47. Jan 16, 2012
    After 1 month of playing this game and leveling a character to lvl 50 and reaching valor rank 40 i can give a proper review on the current state of the game.

The game is a polished piece of crap. They have made some fundamental mistakes in this game that prevent any sort of proper gaming. Leveling a character to max level in a mmo is only a way to learn to play your class, the real game

The game is a polished piece of crap.

Leveling a character to max level in a mmo is only a way to learn to play your class, the real game starts and should be focused on max level.
    It seems Bioware doesnt know this and has made the way to max level more fun then the content at max level.

The community support is non-existent.
    There is no support for teams who play pvp together, for a game which is released at the end of 2011 this is unacceptable.

Bioware has also made sure that world pvp is being prevented in many ways.
    Instancing many group quests, locking up city's and capitals from the other factions is one of the ways that Bioware used to prevent world pvp.

Also making separate quest areas for both factions in neutral planets is also a way to prevent world pvp.

Also placing insane npc's with huge amount of health in simple taxi areas is a other way to prevent world pvp.

Also the netcode in the game is pathetic, playing as a melee class pvp is simply impossible.
    Server running out of sync is also something that happens alot.

So pvp this game scores a 4.

So much about pvp time to move on to pve.

Pve this game is reasonable and scores about a 6, without having a proper LFG system in a game from 2011 is just something that prevents this game from getting a good score.
    Sure you can spam LFG for ages to form a group like WoW 5 years ago.
    Only games evolve over time and this game doesnt have a LFG system and this is unacceptable for a game from 2011.

So overall, if you arent sure if you should play this game best thing to do is wait a couple of months and see how the game evolves.
    Chances are this game is going to fail if it doesnt fix its core issues.

So if you want to buy this game or not depends on how much you want to play this game and for what.

If you play mmo's for pvp then pass on this game, its not a pvp game without proper esport community support.

If you play this game for end game pve content then its best to wait a few months before playing this game.

If you play this game to carebear around leveling up alts and do nothing at level 50 then this is the game for you.
  48. Dec 22, 2011
    A good game to hold my attention for a while. Not perfect by any means and that should be the only reason a game gets a 10. People throw those around too easily (Not to mention the 0 or 1 ratings if they don't like it). If you can't think of a single thing wrong with the game, you're kidding yourself.
  49. Dec 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SWTOR is a strange case. Was it a single player RPG, It'd be a very, veery good game. Most class storylines are very good (except for smuggler, jedi knight and sith warrior unfortunately), and the game has good flow and quite a lot of content. However, it's all single-player content, and there is literally no reason to subscribe for longer than the free month at the moment.
    Unfortunately, someone decided to make it into an MMO. Which lead to simplifcation and a huge amount of time sinks. So much for the Next-gen experience here, sadly.
    Another thing I do not understand is why would anyone create an MMO in which one of the factions will suffer an utter defeat, and it's clear from the very start. Every quest line on both Empire and Republic side leads to the inevitable end: Empire loses. Everyone important dies. You cannot even save anyone. Your decisions are meaningless.
    Another issue I have with the game is that SWTOR's Sith are... dumb. There's no other word for it. They are written to be superpowered angsty teens who know NOTHING about ruling an empire. If you look at the (TABOO!) EU stories, comic books and even Palpatine himself, the Sith are cunning (both in new hope era and old republic, so there), and they'd never act like idiots. Which is what SWTOR's Sith turn out to be. Infighting, petty conflicts, impulsiveness. They screw up everything they touch, and apparently all the want is to CAUSE TERROR AND FEAR. You cannot rule an empire that way. Sith have no way to go other than lose here.
    Multiplayer part of the game is horrid. The netcode stutters, animations fail to play (tested on my brand new i7 aswell as my brother's older machine) and there is no class balance. I wouldn't expect class balance so soon after release, but it's strikingly apparent that some developers loved their classes more than others. Instances are boring too, we seriously have seen this kind of gameplay and over what, 7 years? it grew pretty stale. There's no reason to even socialise in this MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER game, because your sidekick can get the job done. At worst he/she/it will die.
    Was SWTOR a single player RPG, it'd be a very solid title, a strong 8/10 (4/10 if smuggler. yes, it is THAT bad). BioWare decided to make it into a MMO though. Therefore, 4/10. Because the single player part receives a 7 overall from me (i just can't forgive the smuggler. sorry), and the multiplayer is a strong 3.
  50. Jan 21, 2012
    Everything about this game is **** and unpolished from the game to the support. Patch 1.1 was a complete disaster and even if you did decide to re-sub you likely weren't able to log in because their terrible service couldn't handle the billing.
  51. Zic
    Jan 22, 2012
    I levelled a Jedi Guardian up to lvl 50. Levelling was pretty good, and the game would probably have received a high score from me if it was a single player game. Its an MMO though and thats why I unsubcribed it now :(

What I found lacking: - No LFG/LFR, having played WoW since early 1995 I just dont want to go back to the way WoW was before LFG. Some ppl say that destroyed WoW, but

What I found lacking:
    - No LFG/LFR, having played WoW since early 1995 I just dont want to go back to the way WoW was before LFG. Some ppl say that destroyed WoW, but for me it enhanced it greatly.
    - No mods/macros, I really like to change the UI to the way I like it, and the standard UI is far far away from my preferences.
    - Graphics IMO is worse than WoW, lots of copy/paste and same colors everywhere. If you take a low level Jedi Guardian and a lvl 50 guardian you probably cant tell the diffence on the gear. Most that changed during levelling up was the colors or if the hood was up or down.
    - Too many buttons to push. With Jedi Guardian atleast I had to have all 4 bars present and a lot of them had to be used during different fight. Would have preferred lower CDs and 4-5 buttons to push instead.
  52. Dec 30, 2014
    I will likely advoctate this game, over wow... However the latest expansion has caused too many issues. They changed the way a lot of things worked, all classes got revamped... However... Some of the spec abilities are automatically given to you while others are not... An example is my operative's kolto probe... It was not provided to me, automatically, upon selecting the role... But myI will likely advoctate this game, over wow... However the latest expansion has caused too many issues. They changed the way a lot of things worked, all classes got revamped... However... Some of the spec abilities are automatically given to you while others are not... An example is my operative's kolto probe... It was not provided to me, automatically, upon selecting the role... But my recuprative nanotech, which is operative, was provided automatically. Its inconsistent on many classes. On top of that, there are some ui issues that should have never been changed. They separated the buff and debuff ui sections and made it so the debuff ui will scale automatically (with no way to turn it off), as a result it overlaps my characters health bar and bottom quick bars... Not sure why they made this design choice but I had to move it off towards the side of the screen... Now I have to check my debuffs like im checking the mirror of a car to take a left turn while there is tons of DEATH in front of me. Just some really bad choices by the developers... Many good things, like flagships/strongholds, good story, extra levels/flashpoints/etc, great graphics and fun leveling... But there are issues like this, which prevents me from giving it anything above a 6... If the developers were to think before they do something, it would be rated a lot higher! Expand
  53. Dec 23, 2011
    I'll state upfront that this game is not good enough to charge a $15/ month fee. NO game is -- period. If a company needs long term revenue then there are other ways to get that without mandatory fees. Valve has shown this with their store, and then there are the DLCs that Bethesda has used. Both of these methods are annoying, but they do not detract from a game. The fact that you canI'll state upfront that this game is not good enough to charge a $15/ month fee. NO game is -- period. If a company needs long term revenue then there are other ways to get that without mandatory fees. Valve has shown this with their store, and then there are the DLCs that Bethesda has used. Both of these methods are annoying, but they do not detract from a game. The fact that you can lose your account and all data attached to it if you cease paying for it is, by contrast, a live issue for any game. _____ My soap box aside, this is an extremely fun game that -- at least in terms of storyline -- does something that other MMOs do not: allow multiple players to determine the course of a story by taking a vote of what action to take. The lightside/ darkside choices and dialogue should be familiar to KOTOR fans, and TOR has expanded this to the multiplayer. Now, what I have trouble with is the wait times during Instances (that is to say those areas where multiple players go together and determine the course of the story during an event). If a player is lagging behind -- looting and so forth -- then you will have to wait on that person to catch up before you can move on. There is no skipping waiting for that person, and so this can destroy your experience. Bioware could have allowed the player to forgo their part in the story, or just teleport them to their team to cut the annoyance on the press of a button, but no. And I'm not even going to go into teamwork, any online gamer should know matching yourself with random people will make that stitchy. It's just all the sitting, and the waiting, that ruins the experience. This is true for all the minor snatch-and-grab quests that are annoying, even when you are by yourself. How I want the ability to "fast travel" like on Oblivion or Skyrim (and I'm not trolling, but seriously -- why can't a different company use that system to cut down unnecessary travel time). It is not as if they are trying to make Star Wars realistic.... _____ But within these things is the sandbox experience, and the cool, novel features that have yet to be ironed out. When they are the story portion will be vastly improved. The writing itself is still Bioware quality, even though I've found character responses to often be repetitive this is to be expected with a work so massive as this. Combat matches the KOTOR/ WOW style that everyone is talking about, so I'm not going to go into that. I will just say that it stays true to KOTOR enough that I'm not complaining, though the fact that you have to go to a "Trainer" instead of acquring abilities "through the Force," as was explained in the previous KOTOR makes leveling annoying at times and -- in addition -- questions the validity of those previous Star Wars games. Does a Jedi acquire his abilities through practice and from force within, as KOTOR implied? Or does he/she need a master to acquire these abilities, as TOR is now suggesting? I'm not going to force the fact that it makes TOR unnecessarily like WOW in this respect. Finding and paying trainers are a hassle. Nothing that would block a player from getting an "unfair advantage," they are simply an annoyance: why doesn't Bioware make you file an income tax in the game every year while they are at it? Furthermore, it disturbs the lore of Star Wars. Since Dark Forces II there has been both lore that a person gains abilities through experience (which makes sense) but this must first be instigated after learning the basics from a master or other teaching source (also makes sense). Why is TOR suddenly violating this lore? For "game balance?" It just seems like an unnecessary kick in the crotch. _____ In summary, this is a good game but it still has quirks which need to be resolved. If these were resolved, then you're looking at a fantastic game. If Bioware would stop playing the role of King John, like Blizzard, and stop levying a game tax, then you are looking at a 10. Though, really, it would probably be like a 94% due to the graphical glitches and the general look which is outdated. But graphics are forgivable. As are the timing quirks and slow pacing. But a slow game that charges $15/month?... NO. Now if you are rich and have too much time on your hands: this is a game for you. Expand
  54. Jan 30, 2012
    My MMO experience; I played WoW for about a week when it first came out, ditto for Everquest (though a bit later to that party). In both cases I gave up because they felt like huge time-sucks with no substance, but I love RPGs (like KOTOR) and I grew up wearing Star Wars underoos. I played a Powertech to level 50 (max) in SWTOR and enjoyed almost every minute of it. The dialog-driven playMy MMO experience; I played WoW for about a week when it first came out, ditto for Everquest (though a bit later to that party). In both cases I gave up because they felt like huge time-sucks with no substance, but I love RPGs (like KOTOR) and I grew up wearing Star Wars underoos. I played a Powertech to level 50 (max) in SWTOR and enjoyed almost every minute of it. The dialog-driven play feels like an RPG, but the game world feels expansive. It's also beautiful; I often scroll the camera around while on a speeder just to see the details in the sky/horizon. Space combat is nice a break between planet-based play, which can devolve into button-mashing. The thing about SWTOR--and the reason it is so polarizing--is that it isn't built around group-play, guilds, raids, and buzzing mom on the intercom to bring down more hot pockets and a bedpan during a twelve-hour proxy for a social life.

I leveled without doing any flashpoints, minimal heroic (group) quests, and no PVP because I'm a grown-up with a busy schedule and tend to play on Sunday mornings (often with single-digits of other players on a particular planet). But SWTOR doesn't force me to play at 11PM on Saturday, when my server is jammed; sure, I wouldn't mind doing more group-based stuff, and I'm sure the Sunday morning population will pick up as the game matures, but at least having to solo everything wasn't a bottleneck. And by the end, I felt that my little toon had a personality, and a history; he is different than all the other Powertechs in the universe.

Now, at level 50, I spend much more time crafting and trying to earn credits on the Galactic Trade Network; here you can really see the dynamics of a new MMO. Every weekend some commodity shoots way up or crashes; for a while I was the only one making a few purple-quality mods, and I could make a killing. Then, one day, there were dozens of others and I couldn't sell at a profit, so I had to reverse-engineer my way to a different purple, and so-on. If you then head to the forums, it is a non-stop complain-fest about how "broken" the economy is because something fell in price or because a commodity became extra-rare--but that is what makes a market-based economy dynamic and fun! On the other hand, I won't pay a monthly fee just to make fake money in a virtual commodities market; this is where the lack of facile group-play does start to become a bottleneck.

The big question, and the reason I rated this game a 7, is what happens next? What do I do with my little Powertech after he has the fast speeder and all his bling? I suspect the answer is that Bioware will continue to patch and expand the game to give me something to do, and to keep the server population increasing so that I can find others to do group quests with. In the end, that will determine whether or not I extend my subscription. But when you read all the complaints and negative reviews ask two questions: 1) Does the complaint boil down to "I want a game that is just like WoW, but way better, and nothing at all like WoW" and 2) Does the negative review criticize anything that cannot be changed in the future by patches and/or an increasing user base. And then ask yourself if you think Bioware employs stupid people that don't know how to listen to customer feedback and that are incapable of evolving SWTOR into a really great experience and attracting more users. (Also note that 99% of people claiming that you will be banned for X are not basing that opinion on verifiable facts.)

This is, by definition, a dynamic game that will evolve and wax and wane in popularity; if you enjoy the Star Wars universe, dialog-driven questing, predicting mandalorian iron futures, and occasional group-play, then SWTOR will be fun. If you want "WoW, but not WoW" then go eat some mushrooms and play WoW.
  55. Mar 18, 2012
    WoW, The Old Republic is bad. The only thing redeemable with this game is the fact that it isn't as bad as the end of ME3. It's uninspired, rushed, buggy and boring. Stay away from this game at all costs!!!!
  56. Mar 27, 2012
    Not a very bad mmo, but certainly not good enough for this franchise and this price. Very disappointing. Most of the time, you play alone, strange for a mmo, so it's more like a rpg? But usually i love rpg, so why i think it's not good? Because from my point of view it's not enough immersive, graphics are poor, there is really nothing original/innovative in this thing.
  57. Mar 29, 2012
    Two years ago, I would have told you that BioWare could do no wrong, that it develops games with the story and the role-playing elements in mind. How strange that my opinion of this once-great company could change so abruptly. Star Wars: The Old Republic is one of several major disappointments I have weathered over the recent years. Not only is it shoddy from a technical standpoint, but itTwo years ago, I would have told you that BioWare could do no wrong, that it develops games with the story and the role-playing elements in mind. How strange that my opinion of this once-great company could change so abruptly. Star Wars: The Old Republic is one of several major disappointments I have weathered over the recent years. Not only is it shoddy from a technical standpoint, but it fails both mechanically and creatively. Let me be clear: I am not talking about the bugs. All MMO's release with bugs. For me, bugs are an inevitable and forgivable aspect of the genre. What is really astonishingly bad is that, for all its production value, the voice-acted missions (from beginning to end) are copy-paste sob stories with the same fetch-and-kill parameters. Invariably, you will spend hours at each quest hub listening to the same briefings you heard at the previous one. If you are like me, however, you start smashing spacebar with no fear of the consequences (because there aren't any). Oh, sure, each class gets their own set of marginally interesting missions, but... guess what? They make up about 10% of your journey from levels 1 to 50. The other 90% is filled with the aforementioned tedium. There is no hot-fix or patch (at least in the foreseeable future) that can change this sad fact. Can it get any worse? Why, yes, it can! BioWare has put deliberate emphasis on replayability, implementing the Legacy system, which will give you bonuses to experience and customization as you bring new characters to max level! So if the nigh nonexistent end-game content isn't enough, relax! You can suffer through all the hum-drum solo content again and again and again until all your character slots are full! Hooraaay! While I realize that grind-factor is a difficult element to work around, there are at least aspects of the game that can alleviate some of the drudgery... right? Wrong. Not yet, anyway. At best, PVP is chaotic and limited. World PVP is nonexistent, thanks to the all the zones being sharded into instances. Space combat is a culmination of rinse-and-repeat Starfox-esque side-quests, which MIGHT be fun, except there is ZERO variety. Oh! And if you're playing SW:TOR for the social experience, forget about it. That aspect of the game consists of minimal customization and an immovable chat window that looks like tiny blue vomit. In essence, there's no way to make your character feel like he/she is yours. You're playing on the same rail as everyone else, and you're expected to do it more than once. Granted, this might all change someday, as MMOs are wont to do. The problem is, SW:TOR already feels dated and it will take the better part of two years to get it up to snuff. I expect, by then, the competition will have evolved. Bottom line: BioWare has a LOT of work to do if they hope to pass this game off as "adequate". Then again, I suppose it doesn't matter, so long as they make a profit off of their disenfranchised fans Expand
  58. Jan 6, 2012
    This is about as much time, money and effort as you can put into a game and still have it come out average. Underneath the veneer of storyline and the glossy Star Wars theme lies what will strike anyone as instantly familiar. This isn't always a bad thing, but in the case of Star Wars, it is. I just don't think many people wanted a Star Wars game that felt like Warhammer Online, butThis is about as much time, money and effort as you can put into a game and still have it come out average. Underneath the veneer of storyline and the glossy Star Wars theme lies what will strike anyone as instantly familiar. This isn't always a bad thing, but in the case of Star Wars, it is. I just don't think many people wanted a Star Wars game that felt like Warhammer Online, but that's what we ended up with.

The PvP in this game is bad. The best solution they could come up with for healers is to put a 30% healing debuff to all PvP based combat. The actual combat is clunky and unresponsive. Stopping and starting movement is not registered and communicated crisply. Every class has a plethora of crowd control abilities, roots, and interrupts that will make the briefly entertaining PvP warzones into a mind numbing, headache inducing experience in even the best of circumstances.

End game feels like a chore. The dailies are not entertaining. The heroics are too easy. PvP victory is determined by levels, team comp and gear. Skill in this game is based more off of understanding how your class works and targeting the right enemy and there is not really a lot of room for stellar individual play.

I did not find the storytelling to be interesting. I just hope that I can enjoy Mass Effect 3 after being subjected to SW:TOR's abuse of BioWare's storytelling mechanic. In fact, once you get to end game, and you have to go through daily quests and daily flashpoints and you see that same story over and over again... you can't tap that spacebar quick enough.

The talent trees are pretty much the standard "This is how you'll build and you'll get 1 or 2 discretionary points to waste at the end" that WoW is trying to move away from. Stats are already very inflated... SW:TOR is going for short term success by hitting the MMO sweet spot way too early. My level 50 has a 32% crit chance without any raiding. The mirrored classes don't really feel successful. The two faction system is so tired and boring. It basically forced them to come up with some pretty cheap gimmicks trying to come up with enough content for 8 individual stories spread out across 50 levels of content and two different factions. The talent on this game feels like it was spread out way too thin.

If you buy it, you'll play it and you'll like it for a little bit, but that feeling you get when you are playing a solid and exciting MMO title won't last long, and in the end, this game is going to feel very transitory. If you are burned out on the standard MMO formula pioneered by WoW, there is not a lot going on here that is going to rekindle your interest in the genre.

Even in World of Warcraft, you'd put in the effort to gear up because you know the next grand challenge is just around the corner, but what grand challenge does the Star Wars universe really offer that is so exciting to look forward to? The story before and after this little slice of time is already told. It's nice to be apart of something big, but the Star Wars universe is so big, you get lost in it. In the end, I just don't think this was a good way to design a Star Wars MMO and it sounds like a lot of people agree with this feeling.
  59. Jan 7, 2012
    If you like RPG's and Star Wars, then this is the game for you. If you like MMO's, don't get it. This game feels like a single-player RPG. All the planets are empty due to the amount of instances there are. (Which I heard might be only temporary) Because of this, it's almost impossible to find a group for Flashpoints (dungeons) and Heroic Missions (quests that require a group)

The story

The story in the game is great, though. It is very intriguing and will make you want t know what happens next. But I'm not joking when I say that is the only positive thing I can say about this game.

Oh yeah, and 1 more thing, this game looks like it was made in 2003. I know graphics don't matter too much, and it's mostly about the gameplay, but I mean c'mon...A game made in 2011 should at least look somewhat decent. The combat is trite, and the game is just overall boring. I don't recommend it, but if you are a huge Star Wars fan, and love RPG's, then try it out.
  60. Jan 7, 2012
    The Graphics are very good and it has a great Story line but that is where it ends. In the end it ends up being just another MMO following in the World Of Warcraft mold, somehow I was expecting something different. Quests are the same as what you expect, except Npc's talk more and dungeon boss mechanics are Blahh, nothing challenging. SWTOR is above the typical Asian grindfest MMO's thatThe Graphics are very good and it has a great Story line but that is where it ends. In the end it ends up being just another MMO following in the World Of Warcraft mold, somehow I was expecting something different. Quests are the same as what you expect, except Npc's talk more and dungeon boss mechanics are Blahh, nothing challenging. SWTOR is above the typical Asian grindfest MMO's that is all I will give it but nothing inventive. If you are bored of the typical MMO scenario then this game will not hold your interest for long. Expand
  61. Feb 4, 2012
    The worst MMO experience I've had. It doesn't even feel like an MMO... maybe a single player game with a shared city. The PvE is boring, there's massive amounts of bugs, the PvP servers have absolutely no PvP--there's 3 warzones you queue for 5000 times--literally--for the same gear. I'm extremely disappointed by this game.
  62. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is like any other MMO I have played. A lot of it is solo questing, you can group with a close friend from guild or RL. It has a lot of good qualities, and I feel it will get better with time as all MMO generally do. All the negative reviews are going to review that way for every game. It's what they do and will always do. I don't even bother to read them. If people hate this gameThis game is like any other MMO I have played. A lot of it is solo questing, you can group with a close friend from guild or RL. It has a lot of good qualities, and I feel it will get better with time as all MMO generally do. All the negative reviews are going to review that way for every game. It's what they do and will always do. I don't even bother to read them. If people hate this game that much then don't subscribe. I for one will be, and I suspect those that negatively review games, will still pay to play. Expand
  63. Dec 21, 2011
    Given that reviewing TOR is a fuel for debate between diehard haters and vehement fanboys, I decided to chime in and give my review. But before I give it, I'll just say: for what it is, it's a 9. Here's why: The Old Republic's 6 year development has been fraught with rumors, accusations, defenses, and insults flung from all sides of the room, which included things like there being noGiven that reviewing TOR is a fuel for debate between diehard haters and vehement fanboys, I decided to chime in and give my review. But before I give it, I'll just say: for what it is, it's a 9. Here's why: The Old Republic's 6 year development has been fraught with rumors, accusations, defenses, and insults flung from all sides of the room, which included things like there being no endgame in this game back in 2010, to it being heavily phased like the original Guild Wars. In all honesty, The Old Republic is a solid, well polished, and incredibly fun entry into the MMO market. It's hardly revolutionary mechanically speaking, but the only reason people clamor for revolution is because seven years of World of Warcraft has made them bitter. That said, just because YOU played World of Warcraft for years and are now tired of hotkey MMO's doesn't mean the world is, else FPS's and RTS's would have been dead a decade ago. To begin with the PvE, The Old Republic's is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition both in presentation and in content. Class quests are filled with tremendous setpieces that set the tone for your character's growth and serves as magnificent eye candy for the story being told. World Arcs are just as cinematic, offering strong story from a third party point, and makes the game's planets fun and enjoyable to play through. The final tier of quests, the regular quests, are basic quests with some interesting diversions here and there. Whether it's calling in an air strike to decimate a reisstance base on Balmorra, or collecting tusks and animal hides (much to the chagrin of a disgusted Imperial Official) as a satire on World of Warcraft's primary quest model, the game's quests are all fun, enjoyable, and incredibly immersive since almost all of them are fully voiced (high quality, as well, not the dribble that is RIFT or WoW's voice acting). Flashpoints, The Old Republic's dungeons, are no less cinematic, and fall into two categories themselves: story flashpoints, and world flashpoints. Story flashpoints, such as Black Talon or White Nova, are heavily tied into the game's overall plot of an imminent war. They are tremendous eye candy, and a thrill to play, without much challenge so everyone can do them. World Flashpoints are general flashpoints that are tied to the plot, but much more loosely. There is no V/O in these, only certain potmarks in which you can choose to be evil or good for a certain action (such as decimating a Republic Fleet with missiles while on Cademimu, or diverting them to a lifeless moon instead). They're still well-crafted and good to look at, but are there more for the dungeon and loot purposes and less for the story. Finally, the Operations in The Old Republic are, for one, actual RAIDS (which has lost it's meaning right around the time I rode on a dragon's back), and currently involve raiding an ancient prison housing the galaxy's most powerful villains, and raiding a powerful Hutt's palace. They are hugely cinematic, frantic, and an absolute blast to play. With three difficulties to choose from, there is little to be afraid of. If you want the content, play it on Normal. If you want challenge, play it on Hard. If you want heavy coordination and extreme precision to be a part of your take down, set it on Nightmare Additionally, if you want OPEN WORLD PvE raiding, almost every planet has a challenging world boss to take down and conquer. The game is packed with group content.. If one even just skims through the (Currently) 249 red reviews, and see how many claim there's "little PvE", "no endgame", "it's just a single player game with a monthly fee" or "kill X and collect Y", they're what we call, for lack of a better word, mouthbreathers. Now, on the PvP end, the game has three forms of it: open world PvP, instanced PvP, and, taking a cue from Warhammer, objective-based open world PvP. Warzone PvP is frantic and a blast to play, but is a tad disappointing because you can't choose which map you want to play. However, given that group queueing was patched in remarkably quickly, Bioware's on top of this. Open world PvP is your typical gank-fest. What really shines is Ilum, the objective-based open world PvP planet, which is packed with frenetic PvP glory, as you blast down walkers with heavy rocket launchers, capture enemy fortifications, and try to stem the tide in this never-ending warzone. There is no "safety period" on Ilum, ala Wintergrasp. It's all war all the time, and it's a damn good one to be a part of. In the end, to say this game is a generic WoW clone with nothing new to offer is asanine. It is undisputedly the most polished, smoothest launch today, is brimming with content, and has more on the horizons. Given that 90% of the negative reviews are talking out of their ass, I trust you to use their judgment, but I'm here to say: TOR is fantastic Expand
  64. Jan 13, 2012
    Where to begin. The game, in concept, is great but there are many problems that Bioware either has not or can not be bothered to address. One of the first is the fact that they blatently lied to us with the Collector's Editon in game items. We were promised a pet, "Training Droid (Virtual Pet)
    A small but advanced training droid to hover at your side for combat assistance." What did we get instead? A useless piece of garbage that IS NOT A PET, it comes out and circles an enemy for a min or two and then disappears. WTF??!! Bioware has not commented on this. They went with the piece of garbage called Hero Engine. This antiquated gaming engine creates games that are competely instanced. Now the game feels dead because, unlike in WOW or Rift, you can see other ppl around you, in this game, you're basically in a deadzone working on a quest with no one around... You want Customer Support (CS) - I hope you know how to pray... it is basically non-existant and when someone does answer - either they have absolutely NO CLUE about the game or can barely but a coherent sentence together in English. If you think I'm exaggerating as to how poor to atrocious the CS really is, please refer to the following threads:

Don't get me wrong, I love the game itself but I think that ever since the "Kiss of Death" (EA [Electronic Arts]) bought Bioware, it's been downhill ever since.
  65. Jan 24, 2012
    Let me preface by giving my experience playing MMOs - City of Heroes, Earth and Beyond, Star Wars Galaxies, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Champions Online, World of Warcraft, Everquest - I have a minimum of 10yrs playing the genre and have a firm understanding of what really works and what doesn't. I have a lv46 Bounty Hunter playing on a PvP server in SWTOR and these are my findings.Let me preface by giving my experience playing MMOs - City of Heroes, Earth and Beyond, Star Wars Galaxies, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Champions Online, World of Warcraft, Everquest - I have a minimum of 10yrs playing the genre and have a firm understanding of what really works and what doesn't. I have a lv46 Bounty Hunter playing on a PvP server in SWTOR and these are my findings.

Overall, this game has a lot of potential and a very good initial effort by Bioware. However, there are glaring basic MMO issues that longtime veterans of MMOs will quickly notice. The single player experience attempts to create a rich story, and while the voice acting is nice, the consequences never seem as real or truly immerse a player into the universe the game attempts to create. Character creation is solid and each class feels unique. One of the biggest issues I have is the game feels "empty"; playing on a "standard" pvp server I rarely encounter opposing forces, furthermore I rarely encounter my own forces. The voice acting is among the greatest strength of the game. However, I cannot say the same for all of the writing, it becomes apparent this was a huge undertaking and the writing starts to feel dull and recycled as progressing through content. Graphically, the game looks pleasing with the stylized realism. However, the game has FPS issues, even on the solid gaming machines, and the game failed to launch with the high resolution settings included during the beta.

Bioware is responsive to the shortcomings of the game and various issues. However, some of the missed basics of MMOs is disappointing. The Global Trade Network (auction house) is horrible, the searching and options are limiting and cumbersome. The UI is static and unchangeable; while this is not a huge drawback, the default settings are not ideal. MMOs traditionally place the party frames in the upper/mid left side of the game - not the lower left. In addition the chat box is in the upper left-hand corner which is quite unorthodox from traditional layouts. I am not suggesting every MMO copy and paste layouts, but there are certain expectations and proven designs that do work.

Loading times are sorely disappointing and borderline aggravating. In addition there are pointless time sinks traveling from one location to another, a common example to leave a planet - board a transport, ride an elevator, enter an airlock & board your ship, finally select a new destination which then repeats the process in reverse when arriving. Crafting in the game provides few unique bonuses, and no real benefits aside from Biochem currently. However, unique crafting systems are rarely in place at launch of most games, and this is not a bad foundation for later updates.

The PvP is not horrible, but far from ideal. Both sides can partake in "battlegrounds" simliar to Arathi Basin and Strands of the Ancients from WoW. Then the Empire has Huttball, which has a very steep learning curve for newcomers and the zone itself creates significant imbalances among the classes. The Republic has its own "battleground" too, but I have not participated in it. The PvP can be fun, but on servers with greatly imbalanced populations between the sides, you play your sides "battleground" the vast majority of the time and it gets old very quickly. Leveling throughout the game remains constant once hitting level 20. I did not experience a significant slow-down at any point and I leveled as a healer at all times. Stay focused on the missions (quests) and each level seems to average 150minutes, sometimes more or less depending on what is accomplished.

Overall presentation is very nice when you can get it to run properly and smoothly...the sound is perfect and Bioware did not miss anything there. However, the constant sound of lightsabers and blaster fire does get old after the initial awe fades away.

The game offers a lot of potential, but some glaring basic gameplay issues sorely stick out to longtime MMO veterans. Longtime Star Wars fans will greatly enjoy the game and universe though with familiar settings - Tatooine, Hoth, Correlia. Overall, SWTOR has a solid foundation to build upon. The speed and execution of the next few months will undoubtedly set the tone for the game's future. Personally, I do not recommend the game to anyone looking for a fun MMO with a strong community, I typically feel very alone in the game. However, if you really enjoy the Star Wars universe this game is for you.
  66. Feb 11, 2012
    This was a very fun game, having played for almost 2 months and max leveling two characters. The problem is not just the bugs at higher levels (which believe me are plenty), Its not just the incompatibility of logitech mice (I have contacted logitech and there is nothing they can do) it is the worst, lack of, if any customer service at all. The always have the same canned responses, ifThis was a very fun game, having played for almost 2 months and max leveling two characters. The problem is not just the bugs at higher levels (which believe me are plenty), Its not just the incompatibility of logitech mice (I have contacted logitech and there is nothing they can do) it is the worst, lack of, if any customer service at all. The always have the same canned responses, if they respond at all. And the issues you have, detailing the bugs etc are not addressed in any patches. So... SWTOR, you get a big goose egg. Expand
  67. Jan 12, 2012
    Bioware withholding the rights to review Mass Effect 3 if TOR is given less than an 8/10? No sir. /150char /150char /150char /150char /150char /150char /150char /150char /150char
  68. Jan 20, 2012
    The only reason to play this game is for the story/leveling. Every other aspect of the game is sub par to other "great" mmorpgs. Raiding is a joke - there are guilds that cleared hard modes 15 days into the game, generic giant bosses even though bioware said multiple times that they would not go by that standard instead they would make it more heroic.

Pvp is broken - on all pvp servers

Pvp is broken - on all pvp servers the Republic is outnumbered at least 2:1. Empire players have long pvp queues and most of the time you get into a warzone it is Hutball. Ilum (pvp world) is a joke if you play Republic cause you will get stomped as soon as you get in by 100 empire players, then camped at medcenter without being able to spawn correctly.

Quests are generic (only addition is voice acting) - go there get me that, kill 10 of those then you get bonus quest, kill 10 of those... Your choices do not make any difference at all in the long run. Some of the quests are in a phased zone - meaning you can't encounter anyone there. I thought the worlds were too big cause i ran and i ran for minutes not encountering anyone. Oh and yes running - there is lots of it. If i measured how long i have run from one quest to another with how long i did actual gameplay - it would be 50/50.

Some worlds are beautiful, others are blend meh. The game is really hardware heavy, even though you can't see why. Overall graphics are like from the 2006. single player games. Overall i am disapointed since it comes from Bioware and it is Star Wars.
  69. Jan 8, 2012
    No innovation, just a copy of WoW and not copied well at all. This should be free to play but even then it would still be an epic fail. I want my money back
  70. Dec 21, 2011
    Very exciting MMO with the level of polish and storytelling you expect from Bioware. The voice acting is amaziiinngg. I've been playing a female trooper and Jennifer Hale is incredible as always. You've got every MMO feature you'd expect plus quests that you actually care for since it's not the average "read a few poorly written lines" and accept concept you get from other games. HighlyVery exciting MMO with the level of polish and storytelling you expect from Bioware. The voice acting is amaziiinngg. I've been playing a female trooper and Jennifer Hale is incredible as always. You've got every MMO feature you'd expect plus quests that you actually care for since it's not the average "read a few poorly written lines" and accept concept you get from other games. Highly recommended! Expand
  71. Jan 4, 2012
    At lvl. 40, 20 levels past the time i turned off all movies and becan extremley board of this wanna be mmo , rpg. It actually fails at both, the combat is verry lame, just point and smash hot keys, no pesky tatics to worry about. It was suppose to be a great story, really? give me a freaking break..blue sun and justicar? hope you trekkies didnt play the vastly supperior game mass effect.At lvl. 40, 20 levels past the time i turned off all movies and becan extremley board of this wanna be mmo , rpg. It actually fails at both, the combat is verry lame, just point and smash hot keys, no pesky tatics to worry about. It was suppose to be a great story, really? give me a freaking break..blue sun and justicar? hope you trekkies didnt play the vastly supperior game mass effect. Me and me2 were great DAO is also stellar, but DA2 was god-awful and now with swtor is another failure , bioware has ben loosing alot of points latley, thankfully i have Skyrim to play untill a real mmo comes out ..GW2. Expand
  72. Dec 21, 2011
    Heavily instanced and linear like old single player RPGs. Basically a combat lobby like WoW but nowhere near as deep when it comes to group combat, fight dynamics, or even exploration. Gamers looking for deep gameplay should look elsewhere. The game's main selling point is story and VO. Story itself gives only the illusion of choice as there is never lasting consequence (save forHeavily instanced and linear like old single player RPGs. Basically a combat lobby like WoW but nowhere near as deep when it comes to group combat, fight dynamics, or even exploration. Gamers looking for deep gameplay should look elsewhere. The game's main selling point is story and VO. Story itself gives only the illusion of choice as there is never lasting consequence (save for aesthetics) to your decisions. This means that there isn't much room for game-play inside of the story, unlike previous Bioware titles. VO quickly becomes annoying after watching an NPC glorify a "kill ten rats"quest via 2 minutes of b-grade acting for the hundredth time. This game is a shallow copy/paste job of WoW but severely lacking in nearly every feature we would expect to see in an MMO released in 2011/2012. The list of missing features is loooooooong (and frankly shocking)... I would normally hold out hope for improvements via patches but many of the game's issues seem impossible to fix due to decisions made early-on in the design process (the heavy instancing, linearity, gear treadmill, etc...)

Lastly, if the game were not a subscription title I would rank it higher. But as it stands now, it appears folks saw the success of WOW, made a SP game with MP elements, and called it an MMO to hopefully get more cash.
  73. Dec 26, 2011
    It is no secret at this point that Star Wars: The Old Republic is a traditional MMORPG, much like Everquest and it's astoundingly popular predecessor World of Warcraft. SWTOR plays it safe and literally uses almost the entire basic formula of these traditional MMOs with little too no innovation or inspiration. But I think we all know the question is, does it work? I mean, if it ain'tIt is no secret at this point that Star Wars: The Old Republic is a traditional MMORPG, much like Everquest and it's astoundingly popular predecessor World of Warcraft. SWTOR plays it safe and literally uses almost the entire basic formula of these traditional MMOs with little too no innovation or inspiration. But I think we all know the question is, does it work? I mean, if it ain't broken don't fix it right?

Nope...sorry, that is very, very wrong. One of the main issues with SWTOR is the fact that it is a game completely based on a gimmick, and that gimmick is "the story driven MMO". I hate to break to all potential players, but it is not a revolutionary shift in the genre.
  74. Jan 25, 2012
    Different people have different tastes. Some like exotic things such as a very rare stake or sushi. Maybe even something like live squid if your in Asia. However, there's a fine line between having exotic tastes, and eating **** This game would be the eaten **** You can borrow ideas, or improve on ideas, but what was done here was direct theft and copycatting of warcraft. Even the jumpDifferent people have different tastes. Some like exotic things such as a very rare stake or sushi. Maybe even something like live squid if your in Asia. However, there's a fine line between having exotic tastes, and eating **** This game would be the eaten **** You can borrow ideas, or improve on ideas, but what was done here was direct theft and copycatting of warcraft. Even the jump animation is the exact same as warcraft. That should speak volumes of the originality here. The vast majority of these people are casuals. People that never played the old games so they don't know the difference between good food and fecal matter. This is not your fault, but you must look to see that your unfamiliarity with games is being capitalized on by flashy trailers and empty promises of unique game play. Those trailers probably took more time and effort than the game itself. To say this game is original, good, or unlike world of warcraft is a flat lie. And make no mistake those who say otherwise are liars. And this may be the only game I say this about.. As for the game-play. Yes it's like wow, but not as good. In wow, the system fits the setting, here the goofy graphics and abilities have little to no real reflection on star wars. The feel is completely lost and you can't help but feel you've been just suckered into a flop with graphics from gumby online. A zero? Does any game deserve this? No. But this is not a game. This is a texture pack for warcraft. Expand
  75. Jan 30, 2012
    An unremarkable and unoriginal MMO. The only unique thing about SWTOR is the voice acting which is, for the most part, well done. Otherwise, every other aspect of the game, from pve content to customization to crafting is all standard fare or even pretty lacking in entertainment value. There's very little replay value, either.

This game could have been so much more, but it's clear

This game could have been so much more, but it's clear the designers aimed at making an outstanding single player experience and disregarded nearly everything that has traditionally made multi-player games successful. Given the immense possibilities available in this IP, this is most unfortunate.

There may still be the potential here for some future improvement, but as it stands now, there are many better alternatives available, most of which require far less of an investment in player time and $.
  76. Jan 22, 2012
    Most of the reviews critical of gameplay are fairly accurate, so I won't restate them.

The biggest problem for many of us are the "Error 9000" disconnections (every 5-10 minutes) and terrible frame rates even with moderate to high end computers. Although BioWare has recognized these bugs for weeks, they do not have a fix, nor have they stated that they even know what the cause(s) of these problems are.

They seem to be on the BioWare side, and most speculation seems to implicate their use of an inferior engine.

In any case expect substantial loss of subs as the game is unplayable for those affected.
  77. Jan 11, 2012
    I'm stunned that this game was released. How can an MMO in 2011 be released without this like a guild bank, no server forums, non-bracketed PvP (e.g. level 10 players can queue in against fully PvP geared level 50 players). Keep in mind there are not bugs. These were left out by design.

All that being said, the leveling process is quite fun and makes it easy to ignore some of the more laughable design decisions. The problem is that eventually you hit 50.
  78. Dec 22, 2011
    I love literally everything about this game. Combat and story are engaging, the crafting system is brilliant, the art direction is top notch. This game does not reinvent the wheel, but it makes some damn solid improvements on the formula.
  79. Dec 22, 2011
    Speaking of Bioware... I loved BG 1 and 2, I loved KOTOR, I loved both ME games, I liked DA:O very much, I was bored to death with DA2. And I'm in love again with TOR. Thank you Bioware :)
  80. Jan 3, 2012
    So who ate my review? Dropping this to a zero in light of EAWare's blatant shilling of these user reviews and horrible customer service.

Avoid this game and avoid this company.
  81. Dec 22, 2011
    This is an overrated game imo. The world ain't really "open", it's just a bunch of planets with linear quests that's placed so u can do them in a linear sequence. There is never really any soul to the maps either, I seriously can't see me going back to an earlier explored place when I been there once. And as people keep on saying, the combat mechanics is just exactly what u expected if uThis is an overrated game imo. The world ain't really "open", it's just a bunch of planets with linear quests that's placed so u can do them in a linear sequence. There is never really any soul to the maps either, I seriously can't see me going back to an earlier explored place when I been there once. And as people keep on saying, the combat mechanics is just exactly what u expected if u played any other mainstream mmo. The character creation doesn't leave any chance for chars that actually differ from another char, except in body size. Like who wouldn't like to have at least have an small alien option and a big alien option, its the Star wars universe ffs, the possibilities was limitless but still BW/EA chose options that all are human-like in every single way.

But with this said, I like to say that I understand why some people like it, but I also understand why people don't like it. And if the game is given some time, BW might actually fix a lot of downsides with very interesting endgame content.
  82. Dec 29, 2011
    If you're looking for a great cinematic experience reminiscent of 1990's adventure games, look no further. Or just go and buy a 1990's adventure game actually...

If you're looking for a compelling, believable persistent world MMO then look at Rift / WoW / any of the other contenders instead. I honestly don't understand the references to how "polished" the game is when reading the critic

I honestly don't understand the references to how "polished" the game is when reading the critic reviews. It's far from polished. Yes, the cut-scenes are extremely good, and the static scenery is rendered pretty well, the animations are appalling. I mean really bad. You can get an impression of that from the various YouTube videos, but you don't really see how bad they are until you play.

The user interface (UI) is clunky and totally dominates the display area even on my 28" screen at 1920x1200 resolution. There's no way to scale it down either, and other than the chat box you can't move UI components around.

The headline figure for creating this game is £100M. It's crystal clear from the moment you start playing that this money went into hiring great actors and animators for the cut-scenes and not into the actual game play, which is weak, shallow and generic.

And that's a shame, because I really, really enjoyed the immersive world of the original Star Wars Galaxies game. I was hoping I'd find a version of that "done right", in much the same way as Rift is "WoW done right".

But it's not.

It's done wrong. Very wrong.
  83. Jan 12, 2012
    SWTOR copies WoW, and fails even at that. What you see in most negative reviews here is entirely true, that includes instancing, awful combat and visuals, horrendous writing and mostly emotionless voice acting. You cannot release a badly done ripoff of a fairly old game and expect it to be successful in the long run. I do not believe for a second those 300 million dollars went into theSWTOR copies WoW, and fails even at that. What you see in most negative reviews here is entirely true, that includes instancing, awful combat and visuals, horrendous writing and mostly emotionless voice acting. You cannot release a badly done ripoff of a fairly old game and expect it to be successful in the long run. I do not believe for a second those 300 million dollars went into the production of this "masterpiece", because there is not a part of it about which it can be said that the developers gave it some attention.

Avoid playing it at all costs.
  84. Dec 28, 2011
    SWTOR is a average game with a good story, but wont appeal as much long term to MMO veterans looking for something more unless those people happen to be big Star Wars fans. Its also too solo oriented and instanced which makes this almost a single player Old Republic sequel more than a MMO. I'm amazed at how good the reviews are and think some publications are unable to truly write aSWTOR is a average game with a good story, but wont appeal as much long term to MMO veterans looking for something more unless those people happen to be big Star Wars fans. Its also too solo oriented and instanced which makes this almost a single player Old Republic sequel more than a MMO. I'm amazed at how good the reviews are and think some publications are unable to truly write a impartial review. This is not a bad game at all, but it should be more than it is for $200 million and what it has now will not sustain it long term which is what will decide if its ultimately successful or not. Expand
  85. May 7, 2012
    SW The Old Republic is quite the achievement for the newcomer into MMO's (BioWare/EA). It's essentially WoW with lightsabers. But for every great achievement found in this game, there seems to be a drawback. The leveling process is fairly well done (not too hard, not too easy) and the space missions are a great change of pace while questing. However, it's like BioWare took much of whatSW The Old Republic is quite the achievement for the newcomer into MMO's (BioWare/EA). It's essentially WoW with lightsabers. But for every great achievement found in this game, there seems to be a drawback. The leveling process is fairly well done (not too hard, not too easy) and the space missions are a great change of pace while questing. However, it's like BioWare took much of what made WoW great but left a lot of the nuances that allowed the MMO giant to streamline group play and get people into special dungeons/instances (called Flashpoints in TOR). The voice acting is a nice touch and cutscenes are a welcomed element, giving more attention to things like the story that you play through depending on your class chosen. Then there's the light side/dark side choices you can make, which may lend a lot of replayability to TOR. But still, that's if you get hooked enough to continue on. After leveling a 50 and a couple alternative classes AND doing all the latest & greatest in Operations (raids) and Warzones (battlegrounds/PvP) often, TOR has steadily become less and less glamorous. The point that took me years to hit with World of Warcraft has only taken me roughly 4 months to hit in TOR. And while it's been a good investment, I feel this game will only be a flash in the pan for the mass majority. I'd be more interested to play Guild Wars 2, TERA, or the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online at this point to experience the MMO genre. But all that to say that SWTOR is good, it's just not the great competitor to WoW that everyone hyped it to be. Expand
  86. Dec 22, 2011
    Very Lifeless world. Bad graphics. Linear/boxed enviroments. "holy trinity". Cliche bioware stories (the witcher has better storytelling). Uninteresting crafting. No interesting (real) open world pvp. Mob's still follow the aggro ring principle.
  87. Dec 21, 2011
    The thing that defines and separates The Old Republic is story. The whole game is wrapped around it both for good and ill. If you like RPG's then you will likely enjoy TOR because at its heart that is what it is. It borrows its format from other Bioware games where your choices shape the game for you at least to a point. The stories in most cases are enjoyable however there are someThe thing that defines and separates The Old Republic is story. The whole game is wrapped around it both for good and ill. If you like RPG's then you will likely enjoy TOR because at its heart that is what it is. It borrows its format from other Bioware games where your choices shape the game for you at least to a point. The stories in most cases are enjoyable however there are some themes on the Imperial side that become trite. Primarily the Empire in many cases comes off as completely incompetent. I believe that this was done in an attempt to make the player feel heroic. The game play follows the successful model of WoW. Some people criticise this but I find it handy. This game doesn't have a steep learning curve because its play style is already familiar. You can jump in and enjoy the story and the game play right away. Sometimes the game play lacks challenge. However I beleive that is because due to the large number of quest on each planet. If you do all the quest on a planet you will out level the next planets quest. Throw in exp for falshpoints, or pvp or space combat and you can make the game very simple. if you out level the game try doing heroics solo and you will find some challenges. The crafting system is very similar to wow but does have a nice wrinkle to it with the ability to reverse engineer items in order to get better schematics. it offers a little more than WoW in crafting but doesn't become burdensome. The companion system has its ups and downs. While companions stories become interesting you constantly have to be concerned with your faction with them. Some of the companions abilites mesh better with certain class choices. Also your morality choices can please or displease your companion. If your making them happy its all gravy. if your not making them happy you sometimes feel a little animosity towards them. The games reliance on story while its biggest strength does have a few issues. It makes the game very linear. You are pushed along a certain path. You can deviate a bit but largely there is one way to go. So there is less freedom in this game during leveling. However this is something most MMO's suffer from. The gear system is very familiar as it borrows greatly from wow. There are a large amount of armors in the game and the modification system allows for players to customize their gear and if they care to put in the time they can maintain a certain look. The system was far more robust in beta but regrettably they have dumbed it down. Still you do have a lot more options to customize your appearance. They are reportedly coming out with a more robust system for altering the color of gear. They have abandoned their "fit to chest" option for this system. It is a little disappointing but if they come through with their promise then it will be worth it. One criticism I have is that the game revolves around story which is a huge draw for roleplayers. Yet many roleplaying tools are sadly missing from the game. You cannot sit in chairs, many emotes do not have animations and such. I am hoping that this will be addressed. All and all I think the game has a lot of [promise. However there are many things still missing. To be fare it is unreasonable to assume that a new game will have all the features of games that have had years to establish themselves. I have give the game a 7 because while I find it enjoyable I think Bioware has a lot of work to do for the game to reach its potential. I am willing to give them that time. Expand
  88. Dec 28, 2011
    Solid MMO which will probably get much better. A few things really annoy me. Light-side options are unbearably wussy. No combat logger as of yet. LFG system is not up to par. No AA. Companion system could use a bit of work. Otherwise, I am looking forward to playing this game for a long time.
  89. Jan 3, 2012
    After hitting level 45 with my main character, I think I can say that this is the most fun I've had playing an MMO in six or seven years, and I've tried pretty much all the big ones. The class stories I've played have been both well-executed and engaging-- unlike every other MMO I've ever played, they make me feel invested in the journey my character is taking. As Bioware is and always hasAfter hitting level 45 with my main character, I think I can say that this is the most fun I've had playing an MMO in six or seven years, and I've tried pretty much all the big ones. The class stories I've played have been both well-executed and engaging-- unlike every other MMO I've ever played, they make me feel invested in the journey my character is taking. As Bioware is and always has been a company that uses its games to tell stories, it makes sense that this feature would be the number one distinguishing aspect of the game. On the downside, I am consistently underwhelmed by the options I have to customize my character both in terms of appearance and abilities. I was also disappointed to see how many genre conventions the game takes from World of Warcraft (which borrowed many of its conventions from Everquest). There do seem to be some balance issues with some of the classes, particularly in regards to PvP. I also have been frustrated by the frequency of frustrating bugs I've run into since hitting level 20. Overall, this is an excellent game that anyone who has enjoyed previous Bioware titles (especially Knights of the Old Republic) and the MMO genre should enjoy. There isn't much in the way of genre innovation here, but these aspects is brought together with Bioware style story that make shte game more engaging than any other MMO I've ever played (including WoW and SWG). This one's going to be around for a while. Expand
  90. May 18, 2012
    Amazing. This game shows amazing promise for the future and already delivers on great gameplay, story and general meachanics. The graphics are brilliant for an MMO, if you have a high end computer, definitely put the settings on very high. The story mechanics are better in every one than all other MMO's and a lot of other games. The conversation system is engrossing and the plot isAmazing. This game shows amazing promise for the future and already delivers on great gameplay, story and general meachanics. The graphics are brilliant for an MMO, if you have a high end computer, definitely put the settings on very high. The story mechanics are better in every one than all other MMO's and a lot of other games. The conversation system is engrossing and the plot is cleverly crafted. The combat is always fun because you feel like their is a reason behind every fight. When comparing to games such as World of Warcraft, there is a huge difference in quality. WOW is boring because the whole game is basically one massive grind. However TOR has variety in companions, building frienships and weapons and armour. In terms of PvP and group combat, I am happy to say that the game works incredibly well. The group warzones in PvP all feel different from eachother and make epic battle grounds. For groups in the story, the conversation point system keeps everyone involved and the flashpoints arebrilliant for high-level players. Overall, I have no doubt in saying that this is the best MMO available. Move over WOW and Guild Wars. Expand
  91. Dec 30, 2011
    Well, I have a mixed response to this game. I pre-ordered, and was given access on 12/14, and have been playing a huge amount since then, so that's what this review is based upon.

The Pros It's really pretty. The graphics are delightful to this ole' guy's eyes. I have a two year old computer and have all my settings on high and it runs really well. I've heard lots of complaints from

The Pros

It's really pretty. The graphics are delightful to this ole' guy's eyes. I have a two year old computer and have all my settings on high and it runs really well. I've heard lots of complaints from people about FPS, and I believe them, but so far I haven't experienced. The story is also really good, and I enjoy the voice acting, although, yes, a few responses are clearly repeated from time to time. "Give me the whole story, and more slowly this time" was said by my Jedi Knight more than once on the way to level 35 (my highest so far). So that's a little frustrating, but minor.

The Cons

Of course there are bugs, and while the game is reasonably solid in all crucial aspects at roll-out, there are a few game destroying bugs that have not been addressed. First of all, Customer Service sucks ... I mean, rotten, smelly eggs. Perhaps they weren't prepared for the onslaught, but it's nearly impossible to get real, substantive help. Reports take days to get responses to, and when you do, it's automated and canned and not helpful. Calling the 800#s are just as bad.

But the clincher for me? At lvl 35, I decided to redo my character. Yes, I'm crazy, but I had a sense of how the game is played now, and wanted to do it over and "fix" my mistakes. So I sent some items and all my cash to an alt and deleted my guy, remaking him with the same name. I received all the items and cash fine on my alt, but when I mailed it back to my new main, it disappeared into the ether. To the tune of 83,000 credits worth of two weeks work. I cannot get a response or help from the CSRs. Apparently there's an issue where if you remake a guy with the same name, problems happen. There's a thread on the website where many people have had the same experience, and yet it's still not listed as one of the "Known Problems" so that you don't do this by accident. Nor has it been fixed. It's very disappointing, so beware of that. It's nearly killed the game for me. I don't mind starting over, I do mind all my work going to into the ether and not getting help from a game I'm paying for. From the responses some people have received (I am not one of them, since I haven't received a non-canned response), its' like the CSRs think all people are scamming them and won't help get anything back.

It's this kind of problem, and utter lack of response to fixing it by the CSRs and techs, that make me unable to give this game a high rating. It's unfortunate, too, because it has the makings of something really good otherwise.
  92. Mar 27, 2012
    SWTOR Could have been a great game but its huge potential is wasted by the Devs making bad decisions and taking far to long to release new content. It has taken 4 months for the game to reach the stage it should have been at at launch and still doesn't have an LFG system or any way of dealing with the dwindling server populations. The Devs give the excuse that everything is technologicallySWTOR Could have been a great game but its huge potential is wasted by the Devs making bad decisions and taking far to long to release new content. It has taken 4 months for the game to reach the stage it should have been at at launch and still doesn't have an LFG system or any way of dealing with the dwindling server populations. The Devs give the excuse that everything is technologically complex and whatever the player-base want the game to have, they claim the are working on it with no ETA. Rift is an example of how Devs really can make new content with both high frequency and polish, so Bioware really need to just get up of their asses and work harder. The games main feature, legacy, the thing it has instead of all the staple MMO features the game is lacking is not released yet and even then is very underwhelming based on hints of future patches. Via the legacy system and the fact that the classes have stories, the game encourages you to play as many characters as possible, but there is only one leveling path so it is very boring doing the same quests over and over again. Bioware have made it very evident that they really just do not know how to run an MMO. The world PVP area was such a failure they abandoned it completely, and PVP in general is crap. The class stories are very good but the side quest stories are crap and you will end up skipping all the voice acting from about half way through the game onward. Overall the game has just got stuck in a position where it is months behind what is expected of it with no way to recover, and at the immensely slow rate new updates are released it will take well over a year until this game is actually good enough to be worth paying a subscription for, if it even survives that long and remains P2P. Expand
  93. Mar 13, 2012
    i thought it was a really good game, yes there was some grind but what would a mmo be without grinding?
    i have played rift and wow and they all have grinding so i just say sit back and enjoy the story and if you don't like it do not play it
  94. Mar 16, 2012
    If you're expecting something totally new and revolutionary this isn't your game. What it is, is the typical tried and true MMO template with a Star Wars twist to it. The leveling from 1-50 is very entertaining and story driven. End-game content is pretty good as well. I wouldn't rate the end game content as top-notch as I have played several MMO games with a more robust content poolIf you're expecting something totally new and revolutionary this isn't your game. What it is, is the typical tried and true MMO template with a Star Wars twist to it. The leveling from 1-50 is very entertaining and story driven. End-game content is pretty good as well. I wouldn't rate the end game content as top-notch as I have played several MMO games with a more robust content pool once you reach the level cap. Overall, a good game and worth a shot. It's a great way to burn some time and an easy replacement for other games you may be playing, if you're into that kind of thing. Expand
  95. Mar 17, 2012
    Mass Effect meets MMO meets Star Wars. And while this sounds like it almost HAS to be a 10, it's not. Not by a long shot.

The MMO part is old. There is simply nothing new, everything has been here before in MMO land. It's the same point-and-click interface that we've known since the days of Everquest and that was already stale in WoW. The only "new" part is that the boring stuff (like selling craploot) is dumped on your sidekick. Yes, every class is a pet class and everyone got a sidekick. Which sounds great, hey, while I go and play the game, I send the drone to do some boring menial work. Nu-uh. Imagine Warlock without blue blob. That's how efficient you are without your sidekick. So, in a nutshell, what it means is that everyone is a pet class. And the whole "genuinely new concept" ends right there.

Then, the Mass Effect part. A metric ton of dialogues, a storyline with a detail level that is unparalleled in the MMO world... which is nice until you do some group quest for the n-th time and still have some guy in your group that doesn't skip the cutscenes that you can by that time recite verbatim because you have heard them n-1 times. And who doesn't know that choosing the "wrong" answer leads to even more and even longer dialogues.

Then there's that idea, just like in Mass Effect, that you may forge your character's path with his answers to dialogues, join the "light" or "dark" side, make friends or enemies... which is really exciting until level 10 when you get your first sidekick and notice that your answers affect your sidekick's opinion about you. And his opinion in turn affects his efficiency. And the difficulty of the game is geared to having a more or less "loyal" sidekick. So can the idea to "choose your own path", you better choose the path your sidekicks want you to. The idea that you can choose your character's "light or dark" path falls flat on the face here.

Oh, to be fair, you can "buy" their love with gifts. If you can afford them. I foresee a nice source of income for goldsellers in the days to come.

So what's left when you strip the new game smell is a standard MMO without too much that makes it stick out from the crowd, neither negatively or positively. It's a solid MMO, mostly balanced (for PvE at least), with mostly working quests and a lack of serious endgame content, just as you would expect from an MMO that's fresh on the market. If you like Star Wars or if you liked the story elements of Mass Effect and like MMOs, you should give it a spin, if you're just looking for a new and fresh MMO with new elements that aren't staler than a week old loaf of bread, look elsewhere.
  96. Mar 21, 2012
    Created an account on here just to review this steaming pile of garbage. After the initial cinematic the entire thing is boring, slow and a waste. If you buy the $60 game you'd think they'd give you more than 7 days to play it before they try to scrape more dollars from your wallet. DO NOT GO NEAR. They give star wars a bad name.
  97. Apr 15, 2012
    Story (SP content) : 9/10 (at least, if all are as good as the one I played)
    Immersion : 8/10
    Graphics engine : 7/10 Game balance until 1.2 patch : 5/10 (7 PvE, 4 PvP) Pleasure to play until 1.2 patch : 6/10 Game balance since 1.2 patch : 2/10 (4 PvE, 1 PvP) Pleasure to play since 1.2 patch : 2/10 The balance was broken so much in 1.2 that I kept losing in PvP for hours (playing Republic
    Story (SP content) : 9/10 (at least, if all are as good as the one I played)
    Immersion : 8/10
    Graphics engine : 7/10
    Game balance until 1.2 patch : 5/10 (7 PvE, 4 PvP)
    Pleasure to play until 1.2 patch : 6/10
    Game balance since 1.2 patch : 2/10 (4 PvE, 1 PvP)
    Pleasure to play since 1.2 patch : 2/10

The balance was broken so much in 1.2 that I kept losing in PvP for hours (playing Republic healer).
    I'm part of a guild with more than 100 members and since a few weeks if we get more than 3 people online at the same time it's a celebration, and since 1.2 I'm often alone.
    Quoting the Ancient Aliens narrator, "where did they go?". Now I know.

Healers (I play one) are useless since 1.2, both for themselves and the other players, even with a massive amount of endurance and with a full heal skill tree.
    What do experienced players say to the healers now? "If you see one of these enemy classes, RUN". Are you SERIOUS? Playing PvP to RUN? Is that how BioWare sees a balanced game?

I wanted to love this game but BioWare disgusted me from playing.
    As it is, I wouldn't want to touch it again even if it was Free to Play.
    I hope it will get better in the future, but in the meantime I'll just stop playing AND paying.
    Did you already feel like you wasted your time playing for months hoping it would get better? I did.

I just hope they'll release a patch to let us play in single-player mode with more bots, and with pre-1.2 skill trees, as the game seems to have been designed for this.
  98. Dec 29, 2013
    I've never seen a company take such an amazing game and run it straight into the ground so quickly.

When the game was purely subscription based it was great. Now it's unplayable. You can't take five steps without running into some cheap attempt at getting the player to buy "Cartel Coins". I'm talking about basic functionality, like hiding your character's helmet. Anything you may have earned beforehand is now held from you and unavailable unless you unlock specifically that one thing with "Cartel Coins"

Way to kill a great thing, guys.
  99. Mar 18, 2012
    The game definitely needs some work, but most new MMOs do when they are launched. It is enjoyable, the RPG like gameplay definitely works well, but as an MMO it definitely plays like another big named game of the same Genre. A bit disapointing, as to you needing to pay $50-$60 for the game, and having to lay down a starting subscription fee of at least $15. The game is not optimizedThe game definitely needs some work, but most new MMOs do when they are launched. It is enjoyable, the RPG like gameplay definitely works well, but as an MMO it definitely plays like another big named game of the same Genre. A bit disapointing, as to you needing to pay $50-$60 for the game, and having to lay down a starting subscription fee of at least $15. The game is not optimized well, so those who have an older computer or gaming rig may need to upgrade to run this game even on Low settings. They're fixing a lot of the issues, but that doesn't take away the fact that it plays to much like other MMOs. Great, but not astounding. Fun, but nothing new. Worth a check out if you're tired of other games, but definitely not worth playing over others. Expand
  100. Jan 21, 2014
    Played this game for the first six months when it was still subscription based. Decided to take a look today at how things are and it looks like a freaking thai market with all the cartel coins requirements to get your game to actually work as a real game. This game is anything else but free to play. They managed to disgrace this game. When it launched it surely had a chance to grow, nowPlayed this game for the first six months when it was still subscription based. Decided to take a look today at how things are and it looks like a freaking thai market with all the cartel coins requirements to get your game to actually work as a real game. This game is anything else but free to play. They managed to disgrace this game. When it launched it surely had a chance to grow, now its just another company milking its fanatic star wars fanbase. Once again, EA managed to run another of their games into the ground. What a waste. Expand

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.