Star Wars: The Old Republic PC

5.9

1. Apr 17, 2016
    I played WoW for 6 years. I've played a lot of MMOs in between as well (AoC, Aion, Rift, STO, etc...). This is the first MMO I have played since WoW that I am actually excited to go home and play. Everyone is entitled to their opinion... but really??!! Of the absolute crap that is out there you guys rate this game less than average (a 5)?!?! I think this game will change MMOs much like WoWI played WoW for 6 years. I've played a lot of MMOs in between as well (AoC, Aion, Rift, STO, etc...). This is the first MMO I have played since WoW that I am actually excited to go home and play. Everyone is entitled to their opinion... but really??!! Of the absolute crap that is out there you guys rate this game less than average (a 5)?!?! I think this game will change MMOs much like WoW did.

If you liked WoW but want something a little different with heavy emphasis on story this game is it. Companions are great, group dialog is cool (need more of it), solo story is great. Needs better character creation/options, fully fleshed out space combat/quests, and no queues. The real test will be if BW can continue to dole out content that keeps the end game going for PVE players (same with any other MMO, I don't PVP so I don't know what the state of that is).
  2. Apr 24, 2012
    Firstly, I'd like to clarify that I'm a friend, but not a fanatical follower of the Star Wars epic. After the 7 day trial, I bought the game and a 30-day subscription. Numerous reasons for that : the stories of the characters are well written and intriguing, the graphics good and not childish, the group instances just right in time (not too long, so that you can't leave the keyboard for 1Firstly, I'd like to clarify that I'm a friend, but not a fanatical follower of the Star Wars epic. After the 7 day trial, I bought the game and a 30-day subscription. Numerous reasons for that : the stories of the characters are well written and intriguing, the graphics good and not childish, the group instances just right in time (not too long, so that you can't leave the keyboard for 1 hour) and the light-dark choices have the player follow the script instead of pressing ESC all the time. On the down side, space battle, can really get some improving (hey Bioware, remember Tie Fighter ??) and as a neutral character you may miss some good equipment. I don't know if I'll keep playing it for a long time, but for the time being, it's a pretty good game. Expand
  3. Oct 14, 2013
    Truly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part ofTruly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part of the genre) missions. Further, players are rewarded for interacting with other players and for exploration. Any problems are minor. The only true frustration is how difficult the optional datacrons can be to obtain. In earnest, this is the best MMO I've ever attempted. Expand
  4. Dec 22, 2011
    Some of these complaints are just silly. I swear people buy a game without doing any kind of research on it. They didn't promise some revolutionary new gameplay. They pretty much promised WoW, only with Star Wars and a better plot. They delivered that. If you're disappointed because you made up wild expectations and then didn't get them, that's your problem and not the fault of the game.Some of these complaints are just silly. I swear people buy a game without doing any kind of research on it. They didn't promise some revolutionary new gameplay. They pretty much promised WoW, only with Star Wars and a better plot. They delivered that. If you're disappointed because you made up wild expectations and then didn't get them, that's your problem and not the fault of the game. I'm docking some points for the UI being clumbsy, but the game itself is quite fun and the story is great (particularly compared to the disaster that is Cataclysm). Expand
  5. Oct 16, 2012
    Much like Rift, this MMO has taken the best bits from the past 10 years, polished them up, and created a fantastic game. People have been marking it down because it doesn't bring much new to the table (and this is true), but worth a perfect score because it is perfect in the MMO genre. The voice acting alone make it stand head and shoulders above the rest of them. I'm loving this game ...Much like Rift, this MMO has taken the best bits from the past 10 years, polished them up, and created a fantastic game. People have been marking it down because it doesn't bring much new to the table (and this is true), but worth a perfect score because it is perfect in the MMO genre. The voice acting alone make it stand head and shoulders above the rest of them. I'm loving this game ... REALLY loving this game. ---------------------------------> UPDATE 13/05/2012 ... Sadly, this game is dying. I haven't played for over a month and didn't renew my sub. There is a lack of people playing which led to hours where I played alone. Group quests were skipped as there was nobody to quest with. As a game, Star Wars is very, very good and I stand by my initial score. It doesn't deserve the bad press but had some VERY tough competition with Tera and Guild Wars 2 on the horizon. Will I play it again? Yes if it becomes FTP. Sadly, I won't be re-subbing any time soon. Expand
  6. Jul 7, 2014
    I heard about this game several years ago, but I didn't try it since 2014. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the game is a huge mass of gigabytes, around 25, but I cannot blame BioWare. It took me around a day to have the entirely one. And, the gameplay is nice, polished let's say, but the basic combat is a bit poor. At least the skills contribute to the gameplay. I like the plot,I heard about this game several years ago, but I didn't try it since 2014. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the game is a huge mass of gigabytes, around 25, but I cannot blame BioWare. It took me around a day to have the entirely one. And, the gameplay is nice, polished let's say, but the basic combat is a bit poor. At least the skills contribute to the gameplay. I like the plot, very much and the companions; this is great all in all. I played until level 17, because the game caused me lots of crashes on computer and I saw this is an internal problem that, I hope they will fix it within the new EP, Galactic Strongholds. The world is polished, very nice and I like there is a lot of content and worlds to go to. Well, the items are expressive and I like they have style. I don't know what to say more, but I bet; even this is the first MMO of BioWare/EA, they did a great job and I disagree the negative impresses of other players. I know there are several imperfections, but I am sure there is no another one like this. Congrats BioWare, I am waiting for the new update! Expand
  7. Jul 15, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the two Knights of the Old Republic games for which this game is a loose sequel. I have to admit I was worried that the Old Republic wouldn't live up to the achievement of the original games. Though TOR isn't as groundbreaking as its predecessors, it is still a damn good game. The sheer size of the game gives you the freedom to go anywhere you would want to as a Star WarsI'm a big fan of the two Knights of the Old Republic games for which this game is a loose sequel. I have to admit I was worried that the Old Republic wouldn't live up to the achievement of the original games. Though TOR isn't as groundbreaking as its predecessors, it is still a damn good game. The sheer size of the game gives you the freedom to go anywhere you would want to as a Star Wars fan, and the missions that accompany this universe are actually quite addictive rather than repetitive. The combat is still pretty good, and it far outranks the button mashing fps games of today's world. The plots have an epic feel to them, however, much like the companions, they lack the personal feel that was present in the KOTOR games. Besides that point though, I have to say that Bioware have still got it, and TOR is an impressive and inventive game. However, I believe it would have fared better as just an RPG, rather than an MMORPG, as it would have allowed more room for the personal points of KOTOR to be integrated into it. Expand
  8. Feb 8, 2013
    This game is Fun, Massive, and addicting once you get into your story. I'm not enjoying the free to play restrictions that they have since I used to be a paid subscriber. I'm still rating this as a 10 because of all the fun I had during that time, and the quality is wonderful like actually being part of the star wars galexy. Also Their are no quest boxes which is annoying and never readThis game is Fun, Massive, and addicting once you get into your story. I'm not enjoying the free to play restrictions that they have since I used to be a paid subscriber. I'm still rating this as a 10 because of all the fun I had during that time, and the quality is wonderful like actually being part of the star wars galexy. Also Their are no quest boxes which is annoying and never read they actually communicate with you with your own response and decision to make a good or bad choices which makes this game a must get now that its free. Expand
  9. Apr 20, 2012
    If you want a MMORPG with all of the epicness of offline adventures, then this is your game. Create your character and live a unique story full of choices and see your character completely dubbed. A master piece and far better than any online game in the market in terms of narrative and story.
  10. Dec 24, 2011
    The best MMO since Ultima Online.
    I have not enjoyed many mmo's over the years but I keep hoping that one can bring as much fun as I had with Ultima Online back in the day. Tried so many and none felt fun enough to play more then a few months.
    The best MMO since Ultima Online.

The Old Republic does so much right that the few mishaps (Graphics could be better and more custimization in character creation would be nice) barely matter at all. The story is fantastic (an mmo with a great story? You serious?), the characters are interesting, the voice acting is some of the best ever, the atmosphere is great, the sound is well done and its got a very high fun factor.

After Bioware made Dragon Age2 I was worried we might not get another great game from them again, but then comes an amazing game in the Old Republic and pushes Bioware back in the right direction.

There is so much to this game its crazy, weither you want to play it singleplayer or with friends, its well worth it, don't miss out on this amazing game.

Even if you are not a mmo fan you have to give this game a go, any rpg fan should play this wonderful, breathtaking game that has brought some much needed life to a genre that has become very boring lately.

Thank you for an amazing game Bioware!
  11. Jul 2, 2013
    Routinely underrated, one of the best F2P games, and one of the best Subscription Games on the market today. Awesome story telling, amazing presentation and a game that will grab you. Any score under 7 should be ignored. This one is a 9.5 game.
  12. Oct 13, 2012
    This game has easily the best levelling experience in any mmo I've ever played. Maybe, for people with 12 hours a day to play, they'll grow bored once they blast through. But, for someone with a job who plays one or two hours a day, I'm nowhere close to running out of content, and am never bored as the story I love in regular RPGs is in this game rather than constantly killing 12 boars forThis game has easily the best levelling experience in any mmo I've ever played. Maybe, for people with 12 hours a day to play, they'll grow bored once they blast through. But, for someone with a job who plays one or two hours a day, I'm nowhere close to running out of content, and am never bored as the story I love in regular RPGs is in this game rather than constantly killing 12 boars for some jerk I'll never meet again. Perhaps a bit linear- in fairness most RPGs are linear, and stories tend to be linear.

If you like having a huge world where you can just do anything (like kill 12 boars in a snowy place, or in a forest, or in the sea for some reason) you'll love GW2 instead which is free roaming mediocrity. I expected this game to be a mostly single player story with the option to multi play- and got exactly what I wanted.
  13. May 13, 2014
    I am only reviewing this from the subscription experience, I do not recommend this MMO as a free to play game but it's an excellent subscription MMORPG. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 months and I love it and I'm still playing it on a regular basis, there is so much depth to Star Wars: The Old Republic, what completely sold me on this game is the quests and story and I'm a really bigI am only reviewing this from the subscription experience, I do not recommend this MMO as a free to play game but it's an excellent subscription MMORPG. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 months and I love it and I'm still playing it on a regular basis, there is so much depth to Star Wars: The Old Republic, what completely sold me on this game is the quests and story and I'm a really big Star Wars fan, so your choices affect whats going to happen next you can be good or bad but each choice may very likely come with consequences and affect the players story. The music is wonderful and stays true to Star Wars, the graphics are a little bit cartoonish but Bioware has said so it doesn't look dated in 4 years and I'd say it's aged really well so far. The choices for PVP has grown lately Bioware is constantly updating SWTOR with more PVP, story, and expansions.

I've been playing MMORPGs for 14 years and I've never playing anything like SWTOR that really got me into the game and addicted and not often enough can a game do that, SWTOR is simply fun I actually have fun and a good time while playing this, it doesn't feel grindy and I always can't wait to get to the next quest, I mostly like SWTOR because of the role playing. So don't judge this game by the free to play experience if your willing to shell out some cash for the subscription it's worth it, subscribers get more experience and that alone is worth it.

I highly recommend Star Wars: The Old Republic.
  14. Sep 13, 2012
    Top complaints: 1. OMG SERVER QUEUES ARE SO LONG! Lol every MMO launch has these and by MMO standards TOR's launch has been incredibly smooth. 2. OMG LAG. Again, every MMO launch has this and it will go away soon after launch, new servers have already been confirmed to be added very soon. Also, it could be your Internet, and if it is, you may need a better service provider. 3. OMG NOTop complaints: 1. OMG SERVER QUEUES ARE SO LONG! Lol every MMO launch has these and by MMO standards TOR's launch has been incredibly smooth. 2. OMG LAG. Again, every MMO launch has this and it will go away soon after launch, new servers have already been confirmed to be added very soon. Also, it could be your Internet, and if it is, you may need a better service provider. 3. OMG NO INNOVATION. Ok, complain about every single FPS then. Complain about the consistency of the Elder Scrolls series and the Mass Effect series, as well as Pokemon (Among many more, especially Nintendo titles). Didn't think so. Bioware EXPLICITLY said that they weren't redesigning the combat, something people over-centralize on, and what they did say was that they were adding a fourth pillar (Story) and making exploration more rewarding, something that this game succeeds at very well, with meaningful decisions within the quests. That and there are very long questlines, which personally for me, is awesome. Holocrons located within tricky to reach areas (No doubt the wiki will have the guide to reach them all already down by now though) makes exploration more rewarding, as well as receiving a generous amount of EXP for every newly discovered location. 4. OMG BAD GRAPHICS. Really? Firstly graphics are one of the least important aspects of a game and treating them with more importance than the basic mechanics instantly makes you a moron. This is a game, not a movie. Secondly, the graphics were DELIBERATELY downgraded so the game could run on slower computers, so Bioware is actually doing you a FAVOR by making the graphics wors, to a degree, it would've been nice had we been given more graphic options to the game though. The style will age better than more realistic graphics however. Examples of this include WoW and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker which still looks awesome despite being around a decade old now (At the time of this review). Besides, the animations are far better than any I've seen in an MMO (That was needed for story character animations and Bioware's "Cinematic" combat, which they talked about a lot). 5. This isn't how a Star Wars MMO should be (Something along those lines anyway). Star wars Galaxies fanboys sad about how their game is being shut down around the release of this one. This isn't another SWG, and if you thought it was you didn't listen to Bioware. It's not their fault that they decided to go in a different design direction than you. Doesn't make the game bad, it would only be bad if their design was sloppy, which it isn't. In conclusion everyone who complains about these "Issues" are stupid or didn't listen to Bioware. You can't judge an MMO at launch (I got early access and played it for around two weeks straight now at the time of this review) because there is so much in it that you can't judge it within a couple of hours and launches are particularly stressful periods for MMOs. WoW's servers literally died at their launch. Now that I;ve finished ranting and gushing over this game, let's get a little more objective and calm. The combat and skill trees are nothing new, and even though BW did let us know this in advance to be honest I did epect SOME level of innovation. The combat has style, but the same substance that WoW had, and I honestly expected some differences that I failed to find. Crafting, is... Bad. Just leave it there. Otherwise i will rage my sad little heart out. At the end of the day however there is only one flaw that matters: The lack of endgame content. I have nothing to do at the end of the game other than couple of dungeons and PvP! The meat of te game is in the story so they seem to have forgotten the endgame content, leaving me bored and frustrated after the story ended. Perhaps they should have given us some endgame story missions or something, because there's not much to do after the grind is over. My advice: Pick this up, do the class stories, then cancel your subscription. Because the stories are amazing, but there's not enough endgame content to justify sticking around after that. Expand
  15. Feb 24, 2014
    This game does quite a few things quite well. Story-telling being on of them. It feels friendly and welcoming and it has its own unique style and setting. I spent many hours having loads of fun. I leveled few characters to level 30-40. I was never into end-game content in this game, because it wasn't what I played it for. See this game or as a Mass Effect game with MMO features. That isThis game does quite a few things quite well. Story-telling being on of them. It feels friendly and welcoming and it has its own unique style and setting. I spent many hours having loads of fun. I leveled few characters to level 30-40. I was never into end-game content in this game, because it wasn't what I played it for. See this game or as a Mass Effect game with MMO features. That is what it feels like. And it is not so bad as you may think. Leveling is the real deal here, not the end game content. The story telling is pretty cool too. The MMo formula based on grind is still present, but it is elegantly packed into cut-scenes and dialogue and it is also flexible. Most of the "kill X of Y" quests are optional and are progressed/finished authomatically as you go. I expected more of this MMO. I expected it to be much more open, but it still is a good one. Expand
  16. Dec 22, 2011
    I was a stalwart fan of SW: Galaxies before it's "redesign" half way through it's existence. I was an out and out crafter for a couple of years, and I've been searching for a similar crafting system ever since. Yet no MMO since has used the dynamic resource system that made SW:G so unique. Howevver, being a big fan of the SW franchise since I went to see the original film when I wasI was a stalwart fan of SW: Galaxies before it's "redesign" half way through it's existence. I was an out and out crafter for a couple of years, and I've been searching for a similar crafting system ever since. Yet no MMO since has used the dynamic resource system that made SW:G so unique. Howevver, being a big fan of the SW franchise since I went to see the original film when I was just 10 years old, I had followed SWTOR since it's announcement, but purposely didn't apply for beta, knowing that since SW:G, I have participated in almost a dozen MMO betas which then end up disappointing me at release...............Damn Metacritic for not allowing paragraphs............................Anyway, onto the new game. So far I have tinkered around with Bounty Hunter (Merc) and Sith Warrior (Marauder). Both of the opening planets and areas for the classes are well fleshed out and keep your interest. I can see how some fans of traditional MMO gamers will get frustrated with the fact that Bioware have taken the time to have full cut scenes with literally every mission giving NPC, and I can envisage hundreds of people constantly clicking there space bars to progress the conversation just to get to the end. For me, I'm in between. I like the cut scenes, but they can become overbearing at times, especially if you get to a new NPC zone and speak to two or three NPC's in a row just to find that it's taken nearly 15 minutes jus to get the missions in your journal......................... The missions themselves are pretty generic fodder, with the sporadic inclusion of class missions that at least provide you with your own instance to work through............... The flashpoints (group instances) so far are well done, and the dialogues with NPCs include a new mechanism for MMO's with each member picking their own responses, and "rolling" to use it in the story, resulting in bonus social points (another new mechanism) if you win the roll. These social points can then be used to buy things at various vendors....................................... Onto crafting. I can see how some players might find the crafting system a little daunting at first, but it becomes simple as you get throught it, if somewhat expensive to progress if you try to do it in the starter zones where not many resource spots exist resulting in you sending off your NPC companion to take part in virtual missions that result in them gathering resources for you. Reverse engineering various crafted, looted and purchased items will provide you with some return on the cost of doing so, and also will provide you with random schematics to boot........................................There is a lot more I could go into, but it would take too long. Overall I am rating the game at 8/10. I was hoping for a bit more, but the game has only just been released so that score could well go up (or down) with Bioware's support. I am still fearful of how the game will progress but that is due to the EA branding, which I don't have a lot of faith in as they have a history of grabbing money now and not giving a s**t later (allegedly). Time will tell, and for now, I'll give them that time. Expand
  17. Oct 19, 2013
    The old republic is a really good mmo and the thing that holds it back is the BS free to play restriction
    Pros: the gameplay is really good, the differences in the story between the classes, choices are cool, contains some of the elements I liked about mass effect and dragon age while doing enough to make itself it's own game, being a Jedi or a sith is extremely fun, dialogue options from mass effect return, the cinematics are solid and the graphics get the job done
    Cons: after you reach level 10 unless you subscribe you get less exp points, fetch quests, some annoyingly powerful boss fights where they have just a sliver of health less then you die and need to start over (I must have fought tarnis a billion times) free to play restrictions really annoy me
    So since this is free to play now I suggest you play it (if someone says it's too much like world of Warcraft, So WHAT WoW is awesome) if your a Star Wars fan play it, if your a bio ware fan play it or even if your just a mmo fan you should play it
  18. Dec 20, 2011
    Played for the last 7 days, currently level 35. loving it so far, combat is fun, the story is awesome, loving the voiceovers. There is a lot of group content which i love, i have done 5 different dungeons so far, which is pretty good for a level 30. So far so good!
  19. Dec 20, 2011
    This is clearly the new benchmark MMO replacing WoW. Basically, they picked up everything that is great in WoW, gave it their signature Bioware design and now we get to enjoy a nearly perfect MMO. The launch worked great as well. They did their homework and it is probably the most stable, freshly released MMO I ever played. The game itself gives us beautiful graphics, excellent sound (itThis is clearly the new benchmark MMO replacing WoW. Basically, they picked up everything that is great in WoW, gave it their signature Bioware design and now we get to enjoy a nearly perfect MMO. The launch worked great as well. They did their homework and it is probably the most stable, freshly released MMO I ever played. The game itself gives us beautiful graphics, excellent sound (it is soooo cool hearing all the different races talk in their native language and it really helps you getting into the game), nice missions and smooth game play without grief points other MMOs have. When I am looking at some of the low rating I am wondering if these people even played or if they are just WoW fan-boys who can't get over the fact that their game might no longer be number one. Expand
  20. Sep 27, 2014
    While SWTOR doesn’t bring much to the table in terms of quest mechanics,combat and even trading system , it is good at story telling and rpg factor.Zones are great pvp is great espicially some pvp mods are awesome.If you like star wars universe you probably already played the game if you not go and try it now!
  21. Dec 21, 2011
    An old-school mmo rpg with largely unappealing graphics, many traditional features and several great twists that create a genuinely new experience. The role-playing storyline allows for a solid level of immersion; the accent has clearly been on the levelling aspect rather than a rush to endgame raiding. For mmo newcomers it may be a bit rough; for veteran mmo grinders and achievers it willAn old-school mmo rpg with largely unappealing graphics, many traditional features and several great twists that create a genuinely new experience. The role-playing storyline allows for a solid level of immersion; the accent has clearly been on the levelling aspect rather than a rush to endgame raiding. For mmo newcomers it may be a bit rough; for veteran mmo grinders and achievers it will be mind-numbingly easy; for someone who´s had a few short brushes with the genre like me, it is thoroughly enjoyable.

For people who were expecting this to replace wow, this will be a sore disappointment; there is not even a fraction of the endgame content that Wow has to offer, and there certainly is nothing of the reputation farming, honor points farming, achievement hunting, Arena muscle-flexing etc. This game will never become an "e-sport" and for a large majority of wow fan base who need "competition" it won´t deliver. Yet it is worth the money; I expect to comfortably play it for three to four months, enjoy a few storylines, revel in the grouped instances with group conversation choices (awesome!) and, well, sign off.

It´s a game for a few months, well worth the money in my opinion. It´s not a wow replacement at all.

On a side note, when comparing to Wow, consider how much Blizzard is earning every month for its 10 mio+ subscriptions: three months worth of Wow subscriptions would fully cover the SWTOR development costs. The gap between Wow and TOR is huge, and this game will NEVER come even close to that budget. Bioware are still essentially a basement developer squad compared to the behemoth that is Blizzard. Modify your expectations accordingly.
  22. Feb 9, 2012
    I played this as KOTOR III, and absolutely loved it. I did not to one group quest, never spoke to another "live" person the entire time, and no one spoke to me. If you play this as a pure RPG (which is what it should have been to begin with, without the money grabbing MMO "add-on" it seems like here), and finish within 30 days, it is fantastic. Buy it. If you are looking for a WoWI played this as KOTOR III, and absolutely loved it. I did not to one group quest, never spoke to another "live" person the entire time, and no one spoke to me. If you play this as a pure RPG (which is what it should have been to begin with, without the money grabbing MMO "add-on" it seems like here), and finish within 30 days, it is fantastic. Buy it. If you are looking for a WoW equivalent, move on. If you are willing to accept the differences and allow them merit, or are a Star Wars fan, also buy it. It is worth the $60 for 30 days, as much as that pains me to say. It is just that good. In fact one of the only detractors to the game would be the MMO element. They should have stuck with making it a Bioware/Star Wars version of Skyrim, which it is very close to right now anyway. Expand
  23. May 19, 2012
    As my first earnest go in the MMO genre (2 weeks of Guild Wars and 2 days of WoW played prior) - I can honestly say this has brought me whole hearted-ly into the MMO space with love. I have been playing now since the Australasian launch (March) and have subbed for another 6 months on the basis that this is some of the best gaming I've experienced.... ever.

I've played both Republic and

I've played both Republic and Imperial sides - 3 characters to 50, and several alts levelled to 20 or so.. and I can honestly say it's some of the best storytelling in the business. I've come from an RPG background (Baldur's Gate / PST / Arcanum style), and this has been a learning experience for me - the richness and deep skill involved with PvP/Tactics and gear selection have all surprised me.. It is some hearty stuff, and if you're a Star Wars fan, you will be in HEAVEN (as I am).

Go out and get this game if you:

1) Love Star Wars / 2) Love RPGs with great story / 3) Love competitive online PvP

10/10 - so good!!
  24. Dec 30, 2011
    It is probably too early to review, seeing as MMOs evolve so much over their lifetime but so far I think it is excellent, the voice acting greatly improves immersion. I see a lot of people complaining that the quests are just a cutscene followed by the same old "go kill ten of x". Are we not playing the same game? There have been incredibly few quests where the objective is simply to killIt is probably too early to review, seeing as MMOs evolve so much over their lifetime but so far I think it is excellent, the voice acting greatly improves immersion. I see a lot of people complaining that the quests are just a cutscene followed by the same old "go kill ten of x". Are we not playing the same game? There have been incredibly few quests where the objective is simply to kill a certain number of mobs, usually killing a certain number of mobs is a bonus quest alongside the more story driven quests which grants bonus xp. I can't help but think that many of these negative reviewers have not even played the game or that they are simply trolls. I see people complaining "only 4 body types for men", how many do you have in WoW? Oh that's right, one. The rest of the complaints are basically "this game is an mmo and has mmo style gameplay and we hate that." What did you expect? Expand
  25. Sep 22, 2014
    An excellent MMO-RPG experience with tons of things to see and do. Star Wars: The Old Republic is the best MMO-RPG I have ever played It has everything a good Star Wars game and MMO-RPG should have.
    Great level design, simple yet fun combat, a great story, nice colorful graphics, solid sound design, and excellent voice acting. Simply the best MMO-RPG out there don't listen to anyone who says this game is bad.
  26. Dec 20, 2011
    I've been playing MMO's for years now and I can easily say TOR is the best I have ever played; it's such a refreshing change to an increasingly stale genre, the story-lines for the individual classes offer very unique experiences to each other and the full voice over for all the quests is extremely satisfying. I found the PVP combat to be very balanced, no class was superior and theI've been playing MMO's for years now and I can easily say TOR is the best I have ever played; it's such a refreshing change to an increasingly stale genre, the story-lines for the individual classes offer very unique experiences to each other and the full voice over for all the quests is extremely satisfying. I found the PVP combat to be very balanced, no class was superior and the various PVP game modes are not only fun but more rewarding than other MMO's PVP content is, you can level up solely from grinding PVP if you want to. I knocked 1 off the score for 2 reasons; the first is the shocking space combat, which in my opinion could have been a browser based mini game as opposed to an advertised feature of the game, it's not that it isn't enjoyable it's just very very basic, the second is the sometimes dodgy animations, /cry is basically your character covering his face with his hands for instance. The crew aspect and owing your own ship reminded me a lot of Bioware's Mass Effect series, which of course isn't a negative point at all, I've played the game for nearing 100 hours now and I have no intention of stopping; this is one hell of a polished MMO that deserves every success it gets. Expand
  27. Jul 5, 2012
    I don't understand all the very low reviews, I've never played WOW so maybe that's why. I have played LOTRO for a long time so I am familiar with the genre. So, SWOTR is more polished, more involving and the cut scenes really add to the atmosphere. I like how the game has been created to feel like a single player RPG. The dreaded "go and kill 10 whatevers" are less of a pain than normalI don't understand all the very low reviews, I've never played WOW so maybe that's why. I have played LOTRO for a long time so I am familiar with the genre. So, SWOTR is more polished, more involving and the cut scenes really add to the atmosphere. I like how the game has been created to feel like a single player RPG. The dreaded "go and kill 10 whatevers" are less of a pain than normal due to the fact that these are often optional and made to feel like part of your main quest. Character creation is limited and I'd like more alien options in there. I'm playing on a "role play" server which suits my playing style. I've never had any problem getting on and only noticed lag once or twice in busy areas. Graphics are ok, not Skyrim but this is an MMO. All in all a good game. On a final note, I am no longer playing after 4 months but I had fun. Expand
  28. Dec 29, 2012
    I have about 40 hours into this game and so far, I would say it's a 10. I dk the reason so many people disliked it, other than all I can say is that I have been an avid PC gamer my whole life, but shied away from MMOs, except Anarchy Online which I never could really get into. They just weren't my thing. However, this combination of story driven/MMO really bridged the gap for me. I canI have about 40 hours into this game and so far, I would say it's a 10. I dk the reason so many people disliked it, other than all I can say is that I have been an avid PC gamer my whole life, but shied away from MMOs, except Anarchy Online which I never could really get into. They just weren't my thing. However, this combination of story driven/MMO really bridged the gap for me. I can play alone or with others at any time, it's great. The graphics are retro but clean crisp, the stories are really fun, and the Star Wars atmospheres are just amazing, both in creativity and in breadth (politically as well as environmentally). And it's free, so if you're not sure, try it out. If you like it, try buying a few Cartel Coins to get a couple of unlocks and you will become a Preferred Player which is better anyway and not that expensive. Expand
  29. Ogr
    Jan 21, 2015
    There are a lot of people who dislike this game because of issues with their PC etc.

I have to admit that swtor is quite bad programmed... it has high requirements for it's casual graphics. Besides that it has a lot of great things to offer now, the best story ever in a mmorpg, playing in a group is well supported even during the leveling phase (that should be normal, but look at

Besides that it has a lot of great things to offer now, the best story ever in a mmorpg, playing in a group is well supported even during the leveling phase (that should be normal, but look at teso, wow etc.). Some of the classes belong to the most fun classes of all mmorpg, pvp games are fun, there is a "tie fighter game in swtor" etc.

I have played most of the popular mmorpg (I started with Ultima Online, DAoC, WoW, AC, AC2, EQ1, EQ2, GW2, Rift, Tera, etc. etc.) and swtor definitely belongs to the best of these. You should of course like RPG's with a story and not just simple grind games.
  30. Feb 24, 2012
    This game has its share of disappointments, but overall I think Star Wars: The Old Republic is an extraordinarily strong foundation to be built upon. After taking a 3-week break for midterm exams, I finally finished my Bounty Hunter's story line, and I feel I have experienced enough of the game to write a realistic review (although I can't really discuss PVP if that's what you're into,This game has its share of disappointments, but overall I think Star Wars: The Old Republic is an extraordinarily strong foundation to be built upon. After taking a 3-week break for midterm exams, I finally finished my Bounty Hunter's story line, and I feel I have experienced enough of the game to write a realistic review (although I can't really discuss PVP if that's what you're into, since my computer isn't good enough to handle it). That point actually brings my to my first gripe in that I think Bioware hyped the low graphics requirements, as compared to WoW, a little too much. This game barely works on my computer. I can do flashpoints but that's about the extent to which I can go. Other than that there are fairly frequent graphics bugs to be encountered, as well as some gameplay glitches that are in a very speedy ironing-out process at the moment. That at least is appreciated. Now that I've got my bigger gripes out of the way, let me just state this point-blank. I love this game. It is fantastic. Looking past the bugs, if you are a gamer who appreciates good story, good character development, and a fleshed-out world, this game delivers like no other ever has. It scratched both my open-world Bethesda and my MMO itches simultaneously. How did it do this? This game, if you are into PVE stuff, is essentially 8 single-player games with streamlined and infused multiplayer functionality. You can go through all you adventures solo easily if you want to, and have a great time doing it. Or at any point you can group up with people for questing, flashpoints, PvP, you name it. Bioware has also taken a lot of the grind out of the MMO experience. I felt like I was playing for the story, and that I actually cared about the questing between the beginning and level cap, instead of racing to get to 85 as I have done so often in WoW. Crafting is also much more fun, and much faster than WoW's. Again, very much appreciated. Once you do finish the main questline, however, there isn't yet a whole lot to do, but Bioware is working on that and what they do have in terms of endgame PVE material is at least solid. Overall, what I just can't get over is how much more mature the stories feel in this game compared to, in fact, *any* of the Star Wars movies. So that said, if you are interested in a incredibly well fleshed-out Star Wars adventure and story experience with MMO integration, than I cannot recommend this game highly enough. For those of you who are just interested in PvPing and racing your way to the end, perhaps not so much. I do feel this game is better than the 5.8 it currently has however, it just might not be for everybody. Expand
  31. Jan 7, 2012
    This game in no way shape or form deserves ANYTHING below a 5, such scores should be reserved for truly abysmal games. I would give this a 8 or 9 out of 10, but I feel the need to counteract the trolls. First of all, this is an amazing star wars game I would recommend to any fan of the movies. Second, the storytelling, notable bioware conversation system, and the voice acting are allThis game in no way shape or form deserves ANYTHING below a 5, such scores should be reserved for truly abysmal games. I would give this a 8 or 9 out of 10, but I feel the need to counteract the trolls. First of all, this is an amazing star wars game I would recommend to any fan of the movies. Second, the storytelling, notable bioware conversation system, and the voice acting are all outstanding. Unlike any MMO I've played before it, I actually care about the story. The main story arc for each class is very enjoyable and even the side quest stories can be interesting. I cannot understand the hate. Expand
  32. Feb 23, 2014
    Bottom line(at the top): This is a solid and polished MMO with a good amount of content.

PROS: Fully voiced npc's and quests. The volume and quality of content is high Great atmosphere High population/good support/decent lfg Instanced PvP including space ship battles Very little grinding/fast leveling if you subscribe You can play the game like a single player game

PROS:

Fully voiced npc's and quests.

The volume and quality of content is high

Great atmosphere

High population/good support/decent lfg

Instanced PvP including space ship battles

Very little grinding/fast leveling if you subscribe

You can play the game like a single player game if you want. This is KOTOR 3.

6 distinct storylines

Highly replayable as a different character class/alignment/faction

CONS:
    In your face if you don't spend money

Slower leveling if you don't sub

If you don't like Star Wars, the setting will appeal less to you.

If you don't like MMOs, this is still an MMO

Non-cutting edge graphics(the game still looks pretty darn good)

You start playing another MMO and wonder why you aren't playing SWTOR.
  33. Sep 29, 2012
    Ok, I'll say it - I'm a former WoW player, and I was skeptical about trying this game, because I've been sucked into the hype of other would-be "WoW-Killers" like Warhammer and Aeon that ended up being profound disappointments - but my WoW friends talked me into it. You can imagine my shock when I ended up LOVING this game moreso than WoW (shocking, as I'd been convinced that WoW was theOk, I'll say it - I'm a former WoW player, and I was skeptical about trying this game, because I've been sucked into the hype of other would-be "WoW-Killers" like Warhammer and Aeon that ended up being profound disappointments - but my WoW friends talked me into it. You can imagine my shock when I ended up LOVING this game moreso than WoW (shocking, as I'd been convinced that WoW was the best game I'd ever played). Part of me is mystified as to why SWTOR failed as an MMO, because it contains so many revolutionary ideas - I love the crafting system, I love the fact that my character can actually have conversations with quest givers and I love the individual story lines of each class - and hey, I'm a female player so I LOVED the fact you could romance your companions. The only reason I stopped playing is because all of my friends left and went back to WoW, which pissed me off because I loved (and still love) SWTOR. It was my first BioWare game and ended up being the gateway drug that led me to try Dragon Age: Origins (Best. Game. EVER) and the Mass Effect trillogy (fantastic - if you ignore the ending of ME3). If you like Bioware games (the ones that were good ;)) this game hearkens back to the greatness that was once Bioware, and if you're not an MMO player, this game has a single-player feel that deserves to be played through (and it's apparently going F2P soon). I admit, there are essential features that were missing from SWTOR that led to its loss of subscribers - there was no Looking for Group feature, the end-game wasn't fully developed and (sadly) once your class story line was complete, that was it - nothing else. As well, one thing Blizzard has on Bioware is the fact that they create their games with both a PC and Mac platform (because, for all their faults, Blizzard can obviously see that Apple is on its way to taking over the world - LOL - and that the more people you make the game available to, the higher your subscriber base will be). I almost didn't get the game because I have a Mac (but ended up getting SWTOR and Windows 7 for Christmas), and I believe that Bioware was short-sighted in this decision and missed out on a lot of subscribers because they only released it on a PC platform. On the good side, the writing and stories of the classes I played (Imperial Agent, Inquisitor and Consular) were fantastic. The quests were engaging, humorous and well-written - and hey, there was sex and relationships in the game as well, which gave it an adult feel (not a panda in sight - or a Jar Jar Binks). I loved how I could make my character either dark side or light side, and was fascinated by the added lore to the Star Wars universe, as well as the several call-backs to KOTOR. I was a little disappointed in the battlegrounds (Huttball...oh, Huttball...why did I always get f'ing HUTTBALL?!) though the strength of this game lies in the rich class stories and the quests. I also loved the space battles, though it would have been cool if they'd included PvP space battles on release (and the features they promised us that came too late, like Legacy and same-sex options for romanceable companions). Honestly, and I might get down-voted for this because we're all pretty pissed at BiowarEA for ME3 and DA2, but I truly believe that SWTOR is better than WoW as a game, though perhaps it wasn't as successful as an MMO because it felt like a single player game WITHIN an MMO, which I believe tore away at the fabric that makes an MMO successful - the social aspect of the game, something Blizzard has down to a science. Because of your companions, you didn't particularly NEED another person to quest with, though it was still fun to quest with my friends. I was pretty angry when my friends all left SWTOR to go back to WoW (the population was tanking and it got harder for them to find groups, though in SWTOR, I didn't really care about doing dungeons/flashpoints because the questing and story aspect of the game was so engaging). I ended up going back with them until MoP came along. It made me sad that SWTOR isn't doing well, because I truly believe this is a high-quality game, and I will play it again once it goes F2P. I almost want to go back and pay a monthly fee, because it's worth it, really it is, but after ME3 I don't want to give Bioware any more of my money. I highly recommend this game, and believe it's lack of success lies in Bioware releasing the game before it was done (adding features like Legacy points long after people had already left) and their lack of flexibility when it comes to releasing the game on a Mac platform. What they did release was fantastic and I will play it again, but the features that keep MMO players around were missing, and BioWare wasn't savvy enough to release the game when it had the features needed to retain a subscriber base. Expand
  34. Nov 18, 2014
    No way a 10/10 but definitely the best MMO on the market, especially if you are a Star Wars fan.

Good - The only MMO with true role playing, each class being fully voice acted. Like all MMO's should be, grouping and pvp are not essential to progress, but its there if you want it. Servers run well in my expperience, very rarely kicked or laggy. It 'feels' like Star Wars having similar atmospheres to KOTOR etc, helped by most planets being well designed and unique from eachother. It is not an elitist docuhe bag fest like WoW.

Bad - Role play is still not as strong as a single player, offline game, as with all MMO's. Graphics aren't great.

Verdict - if you love Star Wars and particularly the KOTOR games, you will love this. The best MMO out there by a long way.
  35. Jul 24, 2012
    Brilliant sharp graphics, great end game dungeons + Star Wars universe. Since the 1.3 patch, the group finder and server merges have been a revelation, all of sudden thousands of people playing and groups are found in under a minute.

The only disappointment is the lack of PvP open world encounters during normal questing.

Needs wookies :P
  36. op8
    Dec 26, 2011
    My advice to anyone wasting there time reading these user reviews is to look away now and not to bother.
    its become such a joke now i think they should scrap user reviews or drastically change requirements to somthing like IMDB has.

as far as this game goes, i think its a great bit of fun.It is what it is, and if you like mmo's and star wars you'll be happy. Even if you dont particular care for mmo's, you can just as easily enjoy TOR as a single player experience if it so pleases you.
  37. Dec 20, 2011
    The game play in not game changing if you'll pardon the pun, but the sum of the game is greater than the parts. The excellent storytelling reinforces the pacing of the missions and instances, it keeps everyone in the story. I hated questing with friends in WoW, I missed all the story and always felt pressured to click through the walls of text and dash off after my companions. The voicedThe game play in not game changing if you'll pardon the pun, but the sum of the game is greater than the parts. The excellent storytelling reinforces the pacing of the missions and instances, it keeps everyone in the story. I hated questing with friends in WoW, I missed all the story and always felt pressured to click through the walls of text and dash off after my companions. The voiced dialogue and cut scenes fix that problem. Also the introduction of a social skill that you level through doing group dialogue keeps all the talking interesting from a game mechanics perspective. So, strong single player. Strong multi-palyer. Even the PvP which I have rarely even liked in other MMO's is quite fun. It feels more like a FPS to me, particularly the kind of ridiculous Hutball. I'm only 12 levels in so I can't speak to the end game, but so far I have to say that yes, it's a lot like WoW but the core game is better in pretty much every way. Expand
  38. Dec 22, 2011
    Superb game. Dont pay attention to the morons who give games zero. If you are a fan of Star Wars, you like MMO's and love story driven games. Stop sitting here and go buy it.
  39. Dec 20, 2011
    This is a masterpiece of a Star Wars experience set in the MMO genre. Bioware has done so many things right with this title as an epic saga that you forget your playing an online game. Action, adventure, group content, multi-player conversations, epic large group world bosses, gear progression, gear customization, etc etc etc. It is what you expect an MMO to be with some seriously niceThis is a masterpiece of a Star Wars experience set in the MMO genre. Bioware has done so many things right with this title as an epic saga that you forget your playing an online game. Action, adventure, group content, multi-player conversations, epic large group world bosses, gear progression, gear customization, etc etc etc. It is what you expect an MMO to be with some seriously nice surprises. Though I do not dispute the fact that this game is not for everyone (because its an MMO and play as such), I also know trolls will be trolls, and some of the reviews for this game were only created to instill doubt and conflict. I'll lay it out honestly. SWTOR doesn't do a whole lot to push the genre forward with this game, however, what Bioware did, they did beautifully and a fully voiced experience should become the new standard for AAA MMO titles. If you are a fan of MMO's, you'll feel right at home. If you're a fan of epic star wars adventures with interactive cinematic storytelling, you'll be in heaven. This is a well produced, well developed MMORPG with all the trimmings.With the amount of interest in this game, the impossible was accomplished. Bioware managed to launch this behemoth with no downtime, no server lag with the occasional queue for some of the highest populated servers. Smoothest MMO launch this fella has ever experienced. Their do-diligence really paid off here for the customer, and I appreciate that Bioware found success where 99% of MMO launches have failed. This game is worth every penny right out of the box, and I can not wait to see what's coming by way of future content patches. Hold on to your seats, this is going to be one long and epic ride. Expand
  40. Apr 19, 2012
    This was my 1st MMORPG, the main reason I got this game because it had Bioware stamp on it and let me tell you: this game is awesome! Great storyline, feels this playing a regular role playing game but now online. There is just so much to do, not including level grinding, so much quest and the people are fairly nice and helpful. Bioware really out did themselves and set a new high forThis was my 1st MMORPG, the main reason I got this game because it had Bioware stamp on it and let me tell you: this game is awesome! Great storyline, feels this playing a regular role playing game but now online. There is just so much to do, not including level grinding, so much quest and the people are fairly nice and helpful. Bioware really out did themselves and set a new high for everyone else. Sure there is $15 monthly payment but its normal, this game is totally a full price game! Expand
  41. Feb 9, 2012
    While it is not a revolution, it is an evolution. It takes the EverQuest formula (not the World of Warcraft formula, WoW is an EverQuest clone and TOR is as well) and polishes it to more of a shine. The plot lines are for the most part good (I have heard less positive things about the Smuggler, but I haven't played that class yet), the combat is more or less following the formula but theWhile it is not a revolution, it is an evolution. It takes the EverQuest formula (not the World of Warcraft formula, WoW is an EverQuest clone and TOR is as well) and polishes it to more of a shine. The plot lines are for the most part good (I have heard less positive things about the Smuggler, but I haven't played that class yet), the combat is more or less following the formula but the addition of lightsabers and blasters make for good visuals, the graphics while not completely demanding are done with good aesthetics, and the linearity is actually quite complementing to the game without making you feel confined (people will complain about it but you know how nerds are with change sometimes. Besides, some of our favorite games are linear, take just about every FPS in history), the PVP is fun, but the faction unbalance leads to a lot of games of Huttball which I actually love so its a win for me (people say it is unbalanced, but dogs wolf, cows moo and MMO players yell 'The PVP is unbalanced!'). In very brief, The Old Republic is a very fun game that is not the best MMOs have offered, considering WoW has gone a little donwhill with each expansion it is the best since The Burning Crusade. 8.7/10 Expand
  42. Mar 4, 2012
    I'm really surprised at how many WoWtards are writing bad reviews out of spite for this game. It's not a bad game at all. Sure there's a few bugs here and there, but for the most part the game is pretty rock solid. Gameplay is similar to WoW and other MMOs in that you kill ten rats, go here, deliver that, and so on. Nothing new with the quests. However ALL quests are voice acted, many ofI'm really surprised at how many WoWtards are writing bad reviews out of spite for this game. It's not a bad game at all. Sure there's a few bugs here and there, but for the most part the game is pretty rock solid. Gameplay is similar to WoW and other MMOs in that you kill ten rats, go here, deliver that, and so on. Nothing new with the quests. However ALL quests are voice acted, many of which are actually interesting. There's real story in this game that players do care about. Character customization is pretty good. Not as good as CoH, but substantially better than other MMOs on the market. Classes seem for the most part balanced in PvP situations. World environments look pretty good as the developers obviously put a lot of attention into that.

The only drawback to this game is that it can get a little repetitive. Anyone who gives this game a rating of 6 or less obviously has never played the game before.
  43. Jun 1, 2012
    I'll keep this short. Bioware did a great job, yet not perfect. The whole point of an mmorpg is to build on the game as people play it. Do I think after a slew of new updates this can be perfect? Yes.

There are some great storylines, but than a lot of bad ones. They need to expand on the bad or consolidate them down. A big problem, beside hackers, for mmorpgs is that of size. Some fans

A big problem, beside hackers, for mmorpgs is that of size. Some fans want things to be endless (lots of stories, etc.), others like myself want quality over quantity. I believe only small things can be great, and that trying to make things collosally good is almost impossible, though it's not, Bioware has a lot of work ahead to pull off such a rare feet.

I'm excited for the future.
  44. Dec 20, 2011
    World of Warcraft in space with Voice-overs. That pretty much sums up The Old Republic entirely. Now, is that a bad thing? No, I don't think so. After all, millions of people have played World of Warcraft for six years, so clearly it's a model that works. The voice-overs really add to the experience, the class stories make the leveling process feel like "the game" instead of "that boringWorld of Warcraft in space with Voice-overs. That pretty much sums up The Old Republic entirely. Now, is that a bad thing? No, I don't think so. After all, millions of people have played World of Warcraft for six years, so clearly it's a model that works. The voice-overs really add to the experience, the class stories make the leveling process feel like "the game" instead of "that boring part you're forced to do before you get to max level". There are a few interesting ideas thrown in like the way the map functions, the way even outdoor content scales to match your party size, etc. So yeah, this in summary, good effort. Is it here to stay? That depends on how well they handle the end-game. Expand
  45. Mar 20, 2012
    Star Wars: The Old Republic manages to bring good storytelling and decisions in to the mmo genre, but at the same as you want to experience the great story you also want to level up as fast as you can to get to level 50. The quests are good because you get all the voice acting, but I would have liked to see more quests with different ways to go like in the kotor games. The instances areStar Wars: The Old Republic manages to bring good storytelling and decisions in to the mmo genre, but at the same as you want to experience the great story you also want to level up as fast as you can to get to level 50. The quests are good because you get all the voice acting, but I would have liked to see more quests with different ways to go like in the kotor games. The instances are good and offers some challenges. The combat and progression is much like any other mmo out there, and I would've liked to see a new combat system that is more based on skills. Having some flaws it's still the best looking mmo out there and offers a lot of content to the players. Expand
  46. Jan 12, 2012
    Overall I give this an 8 because it is lacking in some areas, however, the stories for each individual class are what makes this game. I actually have incentive to play EVERY class. Unlike in WoW or Rift or whatever, you are experiencing the same thing but from a slightly different angle. Not just in a I am now a Hunter instead of a Paladin. It feels fresh and new each time you play it.Overall I give this an 8 because it is lacking in some areas, however, the stories for each individual class are what makes this game. I actually have incentive to play EVERY class. Unlike in WoW or Rift or whatever, you are experiencing the same thing but from a slightly different angle. Not just in a I am now a Hunter instead of a Paladin. It feels fresh and new each time you play it. Even if you were to play the same class again you could play completely differently all over again because of the Light/Dark sides. Which leads me to the best part. Once you get about an hour into it you realize hey I am playing a multiplayer KOTOR and you're like heck yeah! Another positive is that when you swing your lightsaber you feel like your actually dueling the person you are attacking instead of just beating him to death. Space battles are an updated 3D version of Galaxian, which is simple, but that is good. It is not over complicated, however, you can buy upgrades for you ship as you yourself level up, the best stuff being at level 50 and as you get better stuff more missions are unlocked and they get harder. It is a very nice Meta-game.

Now on ward to the "bad" stuff, I say "bad" because its not so BAD as its stuff that will be fixed (I hope as long as it doesn't die in a fire) The graphics are a bit lack luster, somethings appear unfinished, but the art style really shines through, every world is different (for the most part) half the Galaxy being controlled by each side leads to some things looking the same but that is mostly just the cities. I feel like they can do more with PvP. I believe limiting it to your average level range would do wonder but that is my opinion some people really like that PvP is a "balanced" 10-50, you essentially just get a damage, armor, and hp bonus to make you a defacto "50" but you don't have the all the skills yet which leaves you at a disadvantage. Overall, the "bad" will be worked out over a few patches.
  47. Feb 5, 2014
    Story, characters, companions. This game is amazing because it brings Bioware tradition of deep stories into the mmorg market. It does revolutionary stuff and feels as a great addition to the Kotor saga. It's a must play, at least for the 8 class storylines (adding there the companion stories) and the 2 faction story lines [which all this now are free, so there you have it ;) ]
  48. Dec 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm going to be fair about this game with some things I really enjoyed, and describe some areas in which that could use improvement. First this is a solid and fun game. I've played WoW off and on for the last few years, and the aspects of the MMO I enjoyed such as instances, exploration, and teaming up with other players to complete tasks are here. Personally I enjoyed the art direction of the game as the environments are well done and feel lively. I like how you'll see groups of NPCs talking to each other in the Senate Tower, and it makes it feel more lively than WoW's NPCs just standing there by themselves shrugging their shoulders. But what has kept me interested in the game is the story for your character. The downside is that it takes away that mentality of creating your own story and life, but when it comes to most MMOs, you really just end up feeling like a regular soldier doing simple quests. While those quests are back, but since your class has it's own storyline makes it more interesting and addicting to see where your character ends up in the TOR story. The story adaptation to TOR makes the game feel fresh, and keeps me engage as I feel my character has an impact on my surroundings unlike most other MMOs. The other positives of the game are: the voices are well done, the sound effects are really good, the combat feels mostly smooth, but there are times it may get clunky when you are a tight corridor or lag, and the music is amazing. I'm not just talking about the John Williams music, but their own music is really good. The downsides to the game. So far PVP is limited. I enjoy the 3 maps they provided, but for an MMO there needs to be a little more than that. Especially since there is supposed to be a war going on, and since only one map is a true warzone (Alderann), it is lacking in that area. Hopefully they'll add more PVP options as the game moves along. Second thing that could use improvement is character and outfit textures. I know the engine isn't the most powerful, but I would like to see more detail with the characters armor and faces. If anything, I prefer to see the armor in more detail instead of being a bit blurry. Finally the only other thing that needs improvement is area stability. The bugs in the MMO hasn't been a big deal, but there are times the game lags when there are more than a few players in the area, and there have been some memory leaks on certain planets along with some quests being bugged. Fortunately they haven't been too prevalent, but they need to be patch as soon as possible. In conclusion, this is a fun MMO with possibilities of expanding the game further over time. One word of caution, watch out for the negative and positive reviews on here. First most negative reviews from the 20th are from users on **** Their comments are obvious as they'll say "graphics from (insert year)", it's a single player game, WoW clone, $300 million on advertising and voice acting, and etc... A lot of their comments are narrow-minded, and it shows they haven't played the game, or barely touched it during the beta weekends. Those people hate this game mostly because it's Bioware, and the fact it isn't KOTOR 3. These negative reviews are easy to spot as just about every one of them uses the same rhetoric, and they posted their review on the the first day of release. Seriously, do you think they have had time to make a fair judgement on the game within hours of release, no. That said, watch out for the perfect score reviews as they claim it's the best ever. It's not the best game ever. It's a good game, but there are rooms for improvement, and it does copy parts of the WoW formula. Expand
  49. Apr 2, 2012
    Great game, I played it since the beta testing and I love it. It should be better, and it will... people are still expecting the content to be as big as wow... For now it is not. I find it funny though when I read about people that are pissed at the game mecanics since it is to similar to WOW just before complaining about things that are not like WOW. (Many onstanced zones andGreat game, I played it since the beta testing and I love it. It should be better, and it will... people are still expecting the content to be as big as wow... For now it is not. I find it funny though when I read about people that are pissed at the game mecanics since it is to similar to WOW just before complaining about things that are not like WOW. (Many onstanced zones and linearity). Following a story is not linearity to me.

I expected more, but I still enjoy what they delivered and I'm sure they will improve...
  50. Dec 30, 2011
    This game deserves alot of praise. i don't think anyone remembers how buggy wow was at launch, and swtor is pretty smooth considering its a launching mmo. not only that, but it also has the best graphics an mmo has ever had. simply put, swtor is the best mmo i have ever played. the combat is satisfying, the classes are balanced, and the world actually feels alive. the voice work alone isThis game deserves alot of praise. i don't think anyone remembers how buggy wow was at launch, and swtor is pretty smooth considering its a launching mmo. not only that, but it also has the best graphics an mmo has ever had. simply put, swtor is the best mmo i have ever played. the combat is satisfying, the classes are balanced, and the world actually feels alive. the voice work alone is staggering and near perfect. but alas, every time a popular giant multiplayer experience gets cut loose to the world, trolls have to ruin it for everyone by rating it a 0. anyone who rated this below a 6 has obviously never really played the game. please don't trust these silly children who have nothing better to do then bash a game because they cant afford it... Expand
  51. Jan 4, 2012
    (Metacritic, Please put up G4TV's 5/5 review to add a 100% at the top).
    (Metacritic, Please put up G4TV's 5/5 review to add a 100% at the top).
    Note to readers, I had been playing MMORPG's since the summer of 1999, When Everquest came out, then in 2000 after Ultima Online Renneciannce came out, I began to play both UO and EQ on and off, then played every Major MMORPG in beta and most in Pre-Release and Release. No MMORPG since EQ have I felt so enthrilled to play, like what I was doing really mattered; matching in the same way that Everquest felt like I was really exploring this world that nobody else could experience in the same way I could. - This is the perfect new age MMORPG and transition for the MMO Market. I believe BioWare is one of the FINEST developers in the business, and for the debut MMO from the amazing RPG developer, they really knock the ball out of the park with a 10/10 grandslam.. What is there to complain about? The story-arch as an Imperial Agent choosing Operative at Level 10 has been amazing thus far, and love making my dark-side choices; I PVP endlessly and Space Combat is a "Blast". It's the perfect Star Wars game, and arguably the perfect MMORPG.
  52. Feb 17, 2012
    Coming from the point of view of a man who has played many MMO's (Dota, WoW, EVE, Star Trek Online...), this game comes off as vastly superior. Extremely well designed game play, amazing story line (Yes, an MMO with a well brought on story line!).The Old Republic has a Mass Effect / MMO feel to the story line/quests that has the gamer constantly wanting more. The conversation mode is wellComing from the point of view of a man who has played many MMO's (Dota, WoW, EVE, Star Trek Online...), this game comes off as vastly superior. Extremely well designed game play, amazing story line (Yes, an MMO with a well brought on story line!).The Old Republic has a Mass Effect / MMO feel to the story line/quests that has the gamer constantly wanting more. The conversation mode is well done and incorporates the party system of questing very nicely. The combat is similar to that of other MMOs, but there is not much wiggle room when it comes to combat and MMOs. The quests are your typical, kill x amount of enemies, or collect x amount of ______, but again, not a lot of wiggle room in a MMO. The game is moderately buggy, but com'on, it's a 2 month old MMO, give it some time. The Old Republic develops great, and accurate, Star Wars lore, further grasping the feel of "awesome". Deffiently a game worth trying. Expand
  53. Dec 22, 2011
    I'm a gamer that plays all kinds of games regardless of their genre. I'd been playing WoW since 2004 till 2010 and moved to Rift for a couple month, and now to Swtor. This game has some traits that I really missed from good old classic WoW and some inherent good personalities of the Bioware.

Firstly, the huge world is actually there to explore. What I mean by this is that you don't just seat around in the Capital, waiting for dungeon que to pop up and just kill yourself out of boredom in the process. In Swtor, you have to look for groups the old way and there are actually people to communicate with. For me, the large world that you actually have to explore which puts you to work with other people is the foundation of any MMORPG. The game doesn't force you to choose one way by giving one choice too much advantage though. What I like about Swtor is that you can truly play either way: Solo playing the story is satisfying enough but Group play feels very natural and fun. Many instances are positioned in the world so naturally that you often don't realize they're actually dungeons meant for a group of people.

Secondly, the epic amount of immersive story telling. What I hated about Cataclysm is the destruction of good immersive story telling and lore in favor for convenient and easy play. In Swtor though, the game is built upon story telling, characters, and lore. Although admittedly the storytelling is not quite as good as other great Bioware single player titles, its quality and quantity are far above any other MMORPG. All 8 classes have different fully voice-overed stories as well so the replayability is amazing. It very much feels like playing buffed up version of DA:O with other people. Also the quests, while not too innovative tbh, actually put you to walk a lot. I know some people hate this but I really welcome this. If a game is too easy the experience is very forgettable, like in Cataclysm. Lastly, the classes aren't pigeon holed into set roles in favor for 'balance'. What I really like about classic RPG games is that the classes play very uniquely and each class has its clear specialty and weakness. There are things that you just can't do as effectively, but there are also things only you can do. This is why teaming up with other classes is so fun. WoW used to be like this, but since the arrival of DK who could do just everything including melee DPS, ranged DPS, AOE, Pet, Dot, Tank, DW, etc, every other class begun to be generalized as well and since Cata, there are effectively only 3 classes of tank, healer, and dps. You only get to choose what kind of 'theme' your character is, really. I think Swtor classes are very well made, built around their own unique strength rather than having just everything.

There are some things that I don't like, however. Firstly, the game needs a bit more polishing imo. The experience is not as epic as other great Bioware titles. I can understand though since the amount of content this game offers is so huge. It doesn't mean they aren't great either. It's just not as epic as I expected from the company that produced so many great titles. Still much better than DA2 imo. Also, while the music is quite good, none are that memorable. Yes. They all feel very Lucas Artistic but games like this need some more memorable music imo. Such music gets people attached to the game. For example, I still hear the SW choir sound whenever I think about WoW, and I hear the 'Vigil' music whenever I think about Mass Effect 1. I hear the DA:O title music when I think about the game. I haven't found such moment in Swtor yet(except for the opening text movie music maybe? lol), which is quite unfortunate. Lastly, Bioware took it too safe. I love both Blizzard style and Bioware style but I'm not sure If I like the Bioware style trying to be like Blizzard too much. All of the Bioware games had their unique, fun skill system, class system, combat, and so on. Why not go for them instead of copying WoW? I understand that WoW had copied many previous RPG systems as well but the core gameplay was in line with Blizzard's own previous titles. I wonder how epic Swtor would have been if Bioware pushed their own style just a little bit bit more.

Despite its drawbacks, Swtor is an epic MMORPG. I know the word 'epic' is so overused theseday but trust me, the game is epic in many ways. It's just that the game is too epic that some of the details feel a bit missing. Also the similarities with WoW can be both good and bad depending on the player. To me, though, although some of the EA feel spoils the game here and there, the game in general feels as if Blizzard and Bioware had a baby and his appearance(gameplay) resembles Blizzard and the personality(storytelling) feel similar to Bioware.
  54. Dec 28, 2011
    A beautifully cratfed online game. It doesn't feel like an MMO yet, but it does feel large, and the environments feel epic and wonderful. Really happy with the visuals and there's plenty of massive objects which make you feel very small, all in all an eye pleaser. The only MMO where I've stuck with questing, I'm loving this and I find combat to be fun and fast. Great Star Wars atmosphereA beautifully cratfed online game. It doesn't feel like an MMO yet, but it does feel large, and the environments feel epic and wonderful. Really happy with the visuals and there's plenty of massive objects which make you feel very small, all in all an eye pleaser. The only MMO where I've stuck with questing, I'm loving this and I find combat to be fun and fast. Great Star Wars atmosphere and a very memorable experience, I've been playing for over a month now and still find this game great.

Lots of content and great quests, flashpoints which are dungeons but are very fun and I like the useful companions, I don;t often bother with crafting in MMO's, but I'm liking the crafting in this game.

A worthy MMO which deserves its top spot.
  55. Dec 26, 2011
    This game is excellent, and it would be nearly as good as a single-player game than it is as an MMO. The single-player content is more developed, the stories are richer, and the characters seem to have more personality with excellent voice-acting. Yet that is also a bit of a problem, as multiplayer content sometimes seems like an afterthought, with pointless "social points" tacked on toThis game is excellent, and it would be nearly as good as a single-player game than it is as an MMO. The single-player content is more developed, the stories are richer, and the characters seem to have more personality with excellent voice-acting. Yet that is also a bit of a problem, as multiplayer content sometimes seems like an afterthought, with pointless "social points" tacked on to reward players for doing soloable content in groups.

For social points, you seem to get them for picking the same answers in conversations with NPCs as you turn in a quest. This seems to be interesting, and I suspect that the timing of your clicking on one of the 3 options provided to your characters also influences the number of social points awarded.

The Jedi and Sith have four "different" class types each, but the catch is that the Jedi and Sith roles seem very similar. The Sith Inquisitor shooting streams of lightning at a monster is just like a Jedi Consular striking them with debris... both are damage over time spells that don't allow the player to cast other things without losing concentration.

Each class has two sub-classes, and then those subclasses have 3 trees of their own where they can choose talents that interest them. One of my favorite things about SWTOR is that the classes are more unique than in other games, and really can't be compared to WoW, Everquest, and don't seem to be influenced by Tolkien and D&D like most MMOs, at least not as blatantly.

I haven't done any end-game content as I am level 24 as I write this interview, but so far this game looks promising. It probably won't be the WoW killer, but I think it can appeal to enough people to compete with WoW and not fade into "free to play" status.
  56. Mar 25, 2012
    First off, I would like to say that this game is not a rip-off of WoW. WoW is a great, successful game, and developers would be dumb to not borrow some mechanics from it. SWTOR takes what WoW does and refines it until perfection. The RPG part of the game is incredibly immersive, and makes you feel as if you are part of the world. The combat is fun, visually dynamic, and challenging. NowFirst off, I would like to say that this game is not a rip-off of WoW. WoW is a great, successful game, and developers would be dumb to not borrow some mechanics from it. SWTOR takes what WoW does and refines it until perfection. The RPG part of the game is incredibly immersive, and makes you feel as if you are part of the world. The combat is fun, visually dynamic, and challenging. Now for the negatives. SWTOR's sprawling landscapes take absolutely FOREVER to traverse, and it's sad to see no Flashpoint matchmaking system. Open-world PvP is dead, customer service is not the greatest. All in all, SWTOR is a great MMO, and will be alive for years to come. Expand
  57. Feb 17, 2016
    Granted, I am far from reaching endgame content. But the "origin" Story are almost all great, (except the Sith story,of all things which is surprisingly dull. With all those cutscenes and decisions it reminds me of Mass Effect. The music is really Star Wars. Movement could be smoother but hey that's a category World of Warcraft will always win.
    I like it very much and you really feel with
    I like it very much and you really feel with your characters!
  58. Oct 27, 2013
    I have played various of MMO games and to be honest this game just blew my mind. It offers 8 different character stories were you get to pick decisions very like the original games instead your character actually has a voice. The combat is still fun even if it's on the same engine as star trek online (which is also good). I guess people don't like this game because of Reven being in theI have played various of MMO games and to be honest this game just blew my mind. It offers 8 different character stories were you get to pick decisions very like the original games instead your character actually has a voice. The combat is still fun even if it's on the same engine as star trek online (which is also good). I guess people don't like this game because of Reven being in the game or they think that it's another wanna be world of Warcraft which in my opinion became a pile of crap. In all the game is enjoyable for any star wars fan especially those who played the original knights of the old republic games. Expand
  59. Jan 19, 2012
    I played it for one month and finished on of the stories ( the sith inq., sorcerer, one. I will not go into much detail and only state what is Star Wars: TOR
    Story: The story was average, when compared to other masterpieces from Bioware (mass effect). Average voice acting, average feeling, average animations.
    Graphics: The graphics were actually good for an MMO (full hd, highest settings) with some deep drops in fps here and there.
    Sound: Average to good soundtrack and repeatable sound effects.
    Gameplay: Move, Select target, Activate skills, Mob down. A very good implementation of the successful MMO formula. The addition of companions is a good one but also been done before in the form of pets but this time around these "pets" have background stories.
    OVERALL: A good story-based MMO worth of rolling a character throughout his/her story. I personally didn't want to play it any more since i saw start-to-end story cause i got "fed up". Any debate with WoW is just trolling. Two different games same mechanics. Like all similar-genre games out there, FPS, Strategy etc. Decades have passed and the mechanics remain the same. It is never good to abandon a successful formula BUT It is good to improve it.
    Long story short: If you want to play a story for a month, not get into pvp and then give it up then its a very good game. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a WoW successor or killer then you will be disappointed because except the voice-acting there is nothing new.
  60. Dec 24, 2011
    this game's current user score (6.1) is undeserved. This game is more like an 8, but i'm giving it a 10 to balance out the ridiculous trolling and smear campaign that is going on here. When did PC gamers become a bunch of pissy brats who will dedicate more time to finding things wrong with a game then actually playing it? It's sad, it really is. And we wonder why the industry appears to bethis game's current user score (6.1) is undeserved. This game is more like an 8, but i'm giving it a 10 to balance out the ridiculous trolling and smear campaign that is going on here. When did PC gamers become a bunch of pissy brats who will dedicate more time to finding things wrong with a game then actually playing it? It's sad, it really is. And we wonder why the industry appears to be leaving us behind.... Expand
  61. Dec 23, 2011
    A great combination of RPG and MMO, a true MMORPG. The story lines are great, especially for the Empire, The graphics are nice for an MMO, and the voices acting is great. Some small hiccups with minor bugs and the queues are still there, but overall, extremely entertaining. Additional character customization would be nice, but a majority of MMO's are lacking in this area. Anxious to seeA great combination of RPG and MMO, a true MMORPG. The story lines are great, especially for the Empire, The graphics are nice for an MMO, and the voices acting is great. Some small hiccups with minor bugs and the queues are still there, but overall, extremely entertaining. Additional character customization would be nice, but a majority of MMO's are lacking in this area. Anxious to see how the game progresses and new content is added. Expand
  62. Dec 22, 2011
    Finally, a game that delivers the Star Wars experience gamers like myself have been waiting years for. Give it a couple months for patching and such, it'll be legit.
  63. Dec 21, 2011
    This is just unbelievable...the same people are bombarding this game with 0's over and over again. This needs to stop. It has happened with every big named game to come out and enough is enough. You are all a bunch of no life trolls. God PC Gamers are the whiniest group of people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
  64. Jun 6, 2012
    Amazing game, I really like Bioware's ability to pull you into a really well written story. The combat and animations are really great as well. Lot of fun stuff to do after you finish your main storyline. Each class has it's own main storyline that is different from the rest. Which is really nice so that you don't have to feel you are doing the exact same thing over and over again.Amazing game, I really like Bioware's ability to pull you into a really well written story. The combat and animations are really great as well. Lot of fun stuff to do after you finish your main storyline. Each class has it's own main storyline that is different from the rest. Which is really nice so that you don't have to feel you are doing the exact same thing over and over again. This has always been one thing that MMOs have failed on. This game makes recent MMOs look silly, it has more depth and shear content than any game from launch. Once you hit max level and finish out your storyline there are planet and alignment story lines to do as well. But it's way more fun to make a new character and go through another story line. This is the first MMO since Asheron's Call that has made me want to play more than 3 months. Most others I usually quit out of boredom and come back to check them out from time to time. This one is very solid and has lots of things to keep you interested. It's equally accessible solo or in a group which is great for those with a busy life and don't have much time to play a lot. The only time you really need a group is for the heroic content or when trying to do hard mode. Will play this for many years to come as long as it stays this enjoyable. Expand
  65. Nov 25, 2012
    It's WoW with Jedi's. Does that sound like something you'll enjoy? For me it is. I had my doubts about this game from the beginning, but the more I play it the more I like it. Also, F2P is a nice feature. Sure they nickel and dime you for little things but you actually do it a lot for a little money. (Better than Everquest 2, Lotro and many others.)
  66. Dec 16, 2013
    I love this game so much. Let me say first, I played WoW for a bit when it came out, but never really got into it. So I'm pretty much a total MMORPG newbie. But 2 weeks ago I gave The Old Republic finally a try, and ever since then I'm having a hard time explaining to my girlfriend why all she hears from my side of the room are *woosh* *woosh* sounds (that's supposed to be a lightsaber sound
  67. Mar 3, 2016
    Probably one of the best MMO games out there. Lots of diversity in the game and gameplay. Never lags. However, lots of greater things come from subscribing and you have to keep paying monthly too. hate that. still a fab game tho
  68. Jan 2, 2012
    I didn't think I would like SWTOR. When it was first announced I was extremely excited, but as more and more information spilled out, it looked to me like it was going to be like any other MMO out there. I'm sure that copies some features from other MMORPGs, as all modern MMORPGs do, but I have to say that SWTOR is the most fun I've ever had playing an online RPG game.

If you enjoy the

If you enjoy the Mass Effect series, and you like Star Wars, this is the game for you.

The influence of Mass Effect on this game is extremely obvious, from the conversation choices, to companion relationships, to the immersive storyline. I've put around 40 hours into the game so far, and am a little over half way to the level cap. From what I've heard, I will be playing for around 40-60 more hours until I reach that. 100 hours in one game is a pretty damn long time, especially considering that I have no even touched PvP, and there will be plenty more content opened up when I do hit that cap.

I don't want to go on for too long, because there are so many other reviews for this game already out there, but I just want to say that SWTOR is a game-changer IMO- this coming from someone who's not a big fan of MMORPGs, and who has never played WoW. My fiancee and I have fallen in love with this game, and look forward to furthering the story and progressing our characters each day. It's just plain fun, without that terrible grinding feeling that many MMOs give.
  69. May 29, 2014
    There is an enormous amount of content in this game and gameplay is always fun. They did a really well job. There are negative views about this game as the E3 trailer was spectacular and people believed that this game would be something beyond the current generation of games.
  70. Jan 1, 2012
    This game is hard to judge until you've played all of it, it lags at points like all mmos doâ
  71. Dec 28, 2011
    Out of the park they did hit, yes. This game is amazingly fun. If you like the way MMOs play and like Star Wars, it's really a no-brainer. Buy it and have fun!
  72. Dec 26, 2011
    If you're reading this review your probably scrolling down the list and marking every review you dislike as not helpful, and regardless I'm still going to give this game a positive review so if you feel the need to be a douchebag than go for it. To everybody else, the first thing you need to understand about the negative user reviews is that they are either from those who were in the beta,If you're reading this review your probably scrolling down the list and marking every review you dislike as not helpful, and regardless I'm still going to give this game a positive review so if you feel the need to be a douchebag than go for it. To everybody else, the first thing you need to understand about the negative user reviews is that they are either from those who were in the beta, or those who are fanboys of other MMO's. The complaints about lag, glitches, ugly graphics, crappy textures and a bad UI are from idiots with terrible computers, and while they probably claim otherwise it simply cannot be true because SWTOR meets none of those complaints. This game is one of the best looking MMO's on the market, along with one of the smoothest and has had very little glitches compared to other MMO launches. The optimization could be better, however if you're going to play this game on low settings then don't bother with it as you'll probably end up bashing the visuals like every other retard. When maxed this game is one of the better looking MMO's, it feels high quality from the moment you create your character. There are 8 different classes, 16 in total if you count the specializations and 32 if you count the talent tree's, in other words this game has a lot of character customization options. Throw in a bunch of races and character creation options and you have yourself a very good amount of options to roll with. Whether you like charging into battle head first, or sitting in the back healing, or even using stealth to pick and choose your enemies, this game has something for everybody's play style. In other reviews you've probably heard about the story, and while I personally find it to be very good, I haven't experienced all the story options to really judge the game on that one element, however what I can tell you is that the combat is very fluid, the game has, for the most part great voice acting and there is literally 200+ hours of content per character play-through, this is an MMO though so there's always going to be something for you to do upon reaching level cap. Overall SWTOR is a very good game, and to the people saying "zones are instanced, each server is not one world" and all that BS, why don't you guys actually play the game first before spewing BS? Zones are packed, large with tons of players, the game feels far from dead. In short to the skeptics, don't let the negative user reviews throw you off, actually go buy this game because even if you dislike the monthly fee, in one month you'll spend more time playing this game than any other game outside of maybe Skyrim. Expand
  73. Dec 20, 2011
    Now what do we have here? In my oppinion, which is subjective of course, this is a good game with a few minor flaws. Gameplay is not a great suprise, I would describe it like what WoW should have been. It is similar in many ways, yet made it better, less frustrating, less boring, less grinding. Also has nice voice acting quests, you can have your own ship (and that is free, you just haveNow what do we have here? In my oppinion, which is subjective of course, this is a good game with a few minor flaws. Gameplay is not a great suprise, I would describe it like what WoW should have been. It is similar in many ways, yet made it better, less frustrating, less boring, less grinding. Also has nice voice acting quests, you can have your own ship (and that is free, you just have to reach that point in the story), the game has limited (but still fun) space combat, things like that. I would recommend it to any of my friends. Expand
  74. Feb 14, 2012
    I will admit that at first I was extremely disappointed with the game. The graphics were not what I expected, the pvp is alright, and the open world feel of most MMO's seems to be lacking a bit. These will all hit you in the face like a pie and quite rudely so. That said though, the game has come around further in as I went, it was not bad at all. Having been a Dark Ages of Camelot, WOW,I will admit that at first I was extremely disappointed with the game. The graphics were not what I expected, the pvp is alright, and the open world feel of most MMO's seems to be lacking a bit. These will all hit you in the face like a pie and quite rudely so. That said though, the game has come around further in as I went, it was not bad at all. Having been a Dark Ages of Camelot, WOW, DC Universe online MMO veteran I know what I am talking about. SWTOR is not a bad game, matter of fact, it is extremely good for a game not even 2 months old. Yes it has some bugs, yes the pvp needs to be balanced better, yes the game has to address many more areas of development and entertainment. I still can't feel anything but optimistic though, the game can shine, and it is worthy of your time. To be honest, any improvements made on what they already have will be a plus, the game has a lot going for it. The positives: Hard mode Flashpoints and gear hunting is FUN! You have to have a good group, work together, even if it is just 4 of you the PVE is a challenge. At first you will get demolished as you enter under geared, but slowly as you build up, you are able to handle the mistakes and accidents that happen when pulling mobs. This aspect of the game is golden, almost anyone that makes it to 50 and plays the Hard Mode Flashpoints really like it. Next are the 8 man Ops Raids, very fun, very difficult to keep everyone alive. You must be a part of a decent guild to tackle and win in these. Even normal mode Ops Raids drop good loot for your toons. Now on to PVP, it is competitive, but it is extremely unbalanced. Why? Bioware did not think out well the advancement of PVP gear well, in the first month guilds that were around since BETA took advantage of a PVP experience buff period, and now there are monster players with top gear wiping new players in War Zones. I can tell you it is no fun and can cause people to rage and quit the game early on as there is no point to the fiasco. Fortunately for me, I battled through most of that low gear period and now hold my own amongst the top players. Still, certain classes hold a big edge against other classes and this needs to be addressed. The BAD: The list is long and there is no way I can go into it all. Bugs are a major issue, some bosses in HMs or Ops raids can bug out and can't be beaten. This is a MAJOR flaw that needs to be addressed ASAP. The game on many planets feels like a tunneled and funneled experience, not an MMO with an open world. World's I like are Hoth, Voss, Ilum but many I don't like for various reasons such as Corelia being a nightmare to get from point A to point B. PVP imbalance. Not enough customization for your toon's look. Certain instances and areas in the world do not allow speeders to be used making the trek extremely long at times. Space combat need to be developed because as it is now its a joke. CONCLUSION: If you are itching for the Star Wars universe then play it by all means. There are fun classes to play, there are fun dungeon raids to do, the pvp can become fun once and only you get geared. You need to be social for the game to be great as with every MMO. I do wish it were more like Star Wars Galaxies in terms of the open world exploration but for what it is this is not bad. A good start, needs improvement, but a good start. Expand
  75. Dec 23, 2011
    Excellent game been playing it non stop with my friend ever since it came out. Easy to get used to really enjoyable experience cannot comment on the end game experience yet but so far its one of the best mmorpg's I've ever played.
  76. Jan 5, 2012
    Been playing the game since the first day of early access and it's my favorite games of 2011 now. Well, it's a tough call between this and the Witcher 2 so let's call it one of my favorites instead. The best part of this game is the Bioware story, choices, and voice acting. It really brings a whole new immersion level to MMO's I haven't seen before. I actually feel attached to my characterBeen playing the game since the first day of early access and it's my favorite games of 2011 now. Well, it's a tough call between this and the Witcher 2 so let's call it one of my favorites instead. The best part of this game is the Bioware story, choices, and voice acting. It really brings a whole new immersion level to MMO's I haven't seen before. I actually feel attached to my character now as if she is really their inside the world. If you are a Star Wars fan and have been dissapointed where the franchise has been going you will be happy to know that this is the Star Wars you know and love. In fact, my Imperial Agent story has been the most interesting Star Wars tale I've seen. The visuals are really nice to look at and have a very unique style, however, there is a nasty bug where the high settings for the textures doesn't do anything and all you see is medium. While in conversation the high textures work but once out of it no go. So I am hoping they fix this soon.

The combat to me is very smooth and rewarding, I personally love the cover system for the Imperial Agent and makes the game much more interesting. I always thought WoW had the best traditional MMO combat but ToR is up in that category I think.

The sound and music is what you would expect from a Star Wars game. The lightsabers sound great, the pew pew from the lasers is just as iconic as in the movies, and the music is one of the highlights in the audio/visual department. The voice acting is suberbly done as well with some incredible talent like Jennifer Hale voicing the game. The worlds themselves are HUGE. So much to explore and see it gets overwhelming the further you progress. At the moment to control population the game uses instancing but that is only a temporary measure that should be removed shortly according to Bioware.

I was thinking between giving the game a 9 or a 10. 9 because of some of the bugs and issues the game has but then again this is an MMO and a very large/ambitious game so I think personally I justify it as a 10. I really love the game and will play it for a long while to come.
  77. Apr 7, 2016
    November 2015: I watched and read a ton of reviews before I played this because of the mixed reviews. First off, only play free-to-play to make sure your computer can run it well. If you want to really experience the game, be a subscriber.

I've played Guild Wars 2 for a few years now, along with the expansion Heart of Thorns. Decided to take a break from GW2 because the expansion felt like more of a job than a game. Wiping every event, boss, and even exploring became really tiresome. Still a good game, but I'm burnt out on GW2. I played PvE, WvW, and dungeons. Fractals were way too hard.

I played World of Warcraft to level 65 as a tank. Really enjoyed it. Stopped playing because I couldn't find a good guild, so most of the time I was soloing, except for dungeons. Never tried raids of PvP.

I'm enjoying this game a lot. The story, environments, and characters make the game really immersive. This game is great for players like me who are casual most of the time, but still want to play dungeons, raids, and PvP when they choose. I've found that players are easy to group-up with for doing story missions, or world bosses.

I don't know how to describe it, but this is my kind of MMORPG. It's fun and relaxing to play. This game seems to be getting better and better with time.

Cons: As a subscriber there are very few cons, but some of the UI takes some time getting used to. I read reviews about server lag, but it has been pretty mild at this point. Mail should go right to the player instead of a mailbox; it's Star Wars. I wish they had a group finder for other aspects of the game, like PvE, but typing in chat isn't too bad.

I'll update my review as time goes on.

April 2016: This is one of my favorite games. At the end of Shadow or Reven and I'm having a great time. My favorite MMORPG. Thank you Bioware. Can't wait to try Knights of the Fallen Empire.
  78. May 18, 2012
    Amazing. This game shows amazing promise for the future and already delivers on great gameplay, story and general meachanics. The graphics are brilliant for an MMO, if you have a high end computer, definitely put the settings on very high. The story mechanics are better in every one than all other MMO's and a lot of other games. The conversation system is engrossing and the plot isAmazing. This game shows amazing promise for the future and already delivers on great gameplay, story and general meachanics. The graphics are brilliant for an MMO, if you have a high end computer, definitely put the settings on very high. The story mechanics are better in every one than all other MMO's and a lot of other games. The conversation system is engrossing and the plot is cleverly crafted. The combat is always fun because you feel like their is a reason behind every fight. When comparing to games such as World of Warcraft, there is a huge difference in quality. WOW is boring because the whole game is basically one massive grind. However TOR has variety in companions, building frienships and weapons and armour. In terms of PvP and group combat, I am happy to say that the game works incredibly well. The group warzones in PvP all feel different from eachother and make epic battle grounds. For groups in the story, the conversation point system keeps everyone involved and the flashpoints arebrilliant for high-level players. Overall, I have no doubt in saying that this is the best MMO available. Move over WOW and Guild Wars. Expand
  79. Jul 31, 2013
    Good game for 1-50 lvl. Story, voicing and characters are good and fun.
    About end-content I play many MMO and it's all the same: some dungeons to clear, some PvP gear, some something... So I don't bother about it, just clear the story and move to another game.
    After all the Good PvP can be only in high-PvP oriented games. And most of them are pay-to-win..
  80. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is pretty much exactly what I wanted from an MMO. Most MMO's try to either be too similar, or very different from WoW, this one on the other hand is a very nice balance.
  81. Oct 27, 2015
    One of the best MMO in the market. I guess I am over 1,000 hours of play and I own 8 characters. An awesome story-driven MMO, with PVE and PVP fights. Forget here to find hackers, you can play safe. Now it's also free-to-play. You have play it!!
  82. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game. It's fun - not to mention so refreshing than dealing with swords, shields, and QQing Deathknights 10/44 year olds. I love all the WoW players who are hating on this game because half their friends left for it. Time to grow up, folks!
  83. Dec 20, 2011
    Probably my favorite MMO (not a knee-jerk reaction I played the beta for months) and I've played quite a few from DAoC to WoW. At this point I my ideal game has an intriguing story and SWTOR easily delivers. You're essentially getting 8 good-great single player games in one. I look at this as my middle-class mans mass effect that never ends.
    The common legitimate complaints generally
    The common legitimate complaints generally stem from sandbox players and they're completely valid, if you're not a fan of a more linear style of game or class constraints this may not be for you. However if you enjoy an excellent story (for an MMO) and highly polished game play you may be able to overlook the fact that you can't make a jedi with blasters who has to run fly 3 days in real time to reach the second planet. The graphics are fine (people who say they are comparable to wow are blind or playing on a toaster) and have been improved upon quite a bit from the early beta builds (they're definitely not great or revolutionary, but I'd say they are "good"). The game is focused on its many storyline which are, for the most part, quite good. At this point in time, technology limits the amount choices in a game can affect the world, it's simply not practical for bioware to allow choices to noticeably change the galaxy. I can actually think of a few instances of sparing a person and have him actually turn up later in the game, I'd say that's fairly impressive. Overall I'd say the game sits in the 9-10 range. Metacritic should really do some pruning on these reviews it's pretty obvious when 90% of the negative comments are made from accounts with 1 post who proceeded to thumbs up every negative comment and thumbs down the positives. I mean there's no way a post that says "Bioware sold their soul to the EA devil... **** GAME!!!" is in anyway helpful the reader. I don't mean to say that all negative reviews should be discounted, there are legitimate complaints to be maid and ultimately SWTOR may not be your style of game. Still the polished game play and story make this a must buy.
  84. Feb 13, 2012
    This is a mixed review but ultimately a positive one. First what I don't like - this is an ugly game. Some people like the 'toony' style but I certainly do not. Compared to Rift or even the older Age of Conan, the character graphics and gear are pixelated, misshapen, ugly and uninspiring. The animations are adequate at best and goofy at worst, reusing some from BiowareThis is a mixed review but ultimately a positive one. First what I don't like - this is an ugly game. Some people like the 'toony' style but I certainly do not. Compared to Rift or even the older Age of Conan, the character graphics and gear are pixelated, misshapen, ugly and uninspiring. The animations are adequate at best and goofy at worst, reusing some from Bioware Turkey-of-the-Year Dragon Age 2 (which I loathed). Also many aspects of the game are rough (the UI is only just fit for purpose) but then as the game is so new it is perhaps churlish to complain too loudly as there is every indication they intend to greatly improve the UI and most bugs tend to get patched quickly. Some sound related design decisions are very questionable indeed: I am walking around the Imperial Fleet Station's inner ring and I get bombarded with absurd honky-tonk cantina music that is grotesquely out of kilter with the 'Grrrrr. feel the dark side, we are the bad guys' feeling that should be pervasive on the Imperial Fleet! And I would pay Bioware real money to make that accursed intensely annoying and not in the slightest bit amusing robot on my ship just SHUT UP! Ideally I would like to smash him to pieces and throw him out the airlock.
    ---
    More neutrally... this game breaks very little new ground. It is a very conventional MMO that anyone who has played a mainstream MMO will have no problem understanding almost immediately. Whether or not that is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion.
    ---
    What rocks... the story lines are very good for the most part and the voice acting is absolutely stellar: my very posh female Sith Inquisitor scares me sometimes with her intelligently psychotic one liners! Most importantly game play and team synergy, whilst not perfect, is very much on the right side of acceptable. They have done a good job capturing the 'feel' of the Star Wars Universe and so over all... 8/10
  85. Dec 20, 2011
    The way people rate games now days is very upsetting. Most people are complaining that this is a wow clone and blah blah blah. Wow is the biggest MMO out there, so of course people are going to mimic it. I like wow and I like this game more. The reason I like this game more is the story elements and voice overs. It is much more engrossing to me. To complain that it is just like wow isThe way people rate games now days is very upsetting. Most people are complaining that this is a wow clone and blah blah blah. Wow is the biggest MMO out there, so of course people are going to mimic it. I like wow and I like this game more. The reason I like this game more is the story elements and voice overs. It is much more engrossing to me. To complain that it is just like wow is ridiculous. I watched many previews of this game before I got to play and I knew it was going to be like wow. If you rate this game for how well they made an MMO then it is a fantastic game. They put a lot of time into the voice overs and the stories of the characters are good. You just have to remember before you buy it that it is an MMO, so if wow was not your cup of tea then dont buy this. If you liked wow and are looking for an alternative this game is perfect Expand
  86. Mar 30, 2012
    I think a lot of reluctant WoW players are bashing this game. It's a great game. It has very good graphics, interesting story lines, tons of possibilities, the new legacy patch is a superb new idea, cool starfighter missions where you control a spacecraft turret... I can't think of everything atm because I'm sleepy, but this game is definitely a fun game, and there's plenty more coolI think a lot of reluctant WoW players are bashing this game. It's a great game. It has very good graphics, interesting story lines, tons of possibilities, the new legacy patch is a superb new idea, cool starfighter missions where you control a spacecraft turret... I can't think of everything atm because I'm sleepy, but this game is definitely a fun game, and there's plenty more cool content to come. Get a 7 day free trial from a friend, or land one of the free 4 day weekend passes on the website. If you like mmo's, you will most likely like The Old Republic. Expand
  87. Dec 20, 2011
    Im going to start by saying iv'e been a WoW player since 2 months after vanilla was released. Lately, WoW has become abysmal. The funny part is, without the cataclysm, I would still be playing, but Blizzard got to greedy and messed up their big franchise beyond the point of no return. My childhood gaming was classic X-Box, to gamecube, to 360. And I LOVED Knights of the old republic 1 andIm going to start by saying iv'e been a WoW player since 2 months after vanilla was released. Lately, WoW has become abysmal. The funny part is, without the cataclysm, I would still be playing, but Blizzard got to greedy and messed up their big franchise beyond the point of no return. My childhood gaming was classic X-Box, to gamecube, to 360. And I LOVED Knights of the old republic 1 and 2. I lost countless hours in them. Jedi Knight: Jedi academy and Force Unleashed I also enjoyed. But nothing really came close to the epicness that was KOTOR. Until mass effect, I thought that was the game for me after WoW got old but now....This is it. This is going to be one of the greatest MMO's of all time. Its getting the same complaints vanilla WoW got. But what the ignorant low scorer's fail to see is this is an MMO and that means one thing. PATCHS. People complain of bugs in console games, yes, they suck and if you dont have online you dont get them fixed, but in a game like this with so much money already invested in it, there will not only be bugfix patches, but content patches the likes of which we haven't seen since ES: Oblivions Shivering isles. I give this game an 8 because yes, on first look, not to amazing, but I have faith that just like vanilla, it will rise out of the low and become the source of entertainment for me for many years to come. Expand
  88. Dec 27, 2011
    I've been a WoW player for three years , and let me tell you this game is nothing like WoW! Yes, They might have implemented similar elements and game style that originated from WoW but only because they know 95% of the MMO population is on WoW, for me that's a plus cause once I started playing I got adjusted to the game pretty quickly.The rest MMO's that the bad reviews refer to as "I've been a WoW player for three years , and let me tell you this game is nothing like WoW! Yes, They might have implemented similar elements and game style that originated from WoW but only because they know 95% of the MMO population is on WoW, for me that's a plus cause once I started playing I got adjusted to the game pretty quickly.The rest MMO's that the bad reviews refer to as " innovative , different" in comparison to this game are not that great,"different" and " innovative" doesn't mean you will like it and so it has been proven cause nobody really plays guild wars , AION , lineage..Bioware has played smart.So far I'm a level 12 Sith warrior and I'm loving it, really enjoying the game overall and it certainly doesn't deserve a low rating,any user reviewing this game below a 6 is really out their minds .At this moment I'm playing the game on low graphics because my PC is garbage and it still looks amazing , for those who complain about the graphics being should consider updating their video card.really. Expand
  89. Dec 22, 2011
    Fun mmo game. Even for a casual gamer. If you're into star wars lore and rpgs, this game is for you. sure it has some flaws, it's expected for any new mmo game. the learning curve isn't hard so any one with half a brain can pick up this game and quickly master it. the graphics are not exactly the best but for an mmo game it is pretty good. presently, swtor is probably the best thing rightFun mmo game. Even for a casual gamer. If you're into star wars lore and rpgs, this game is for you. sure it has some flaws, it's expected for any new mmo game. the learning curve isn't hard so any one with half a brain can pick up this game and quickly master it. the graphics are not exactly the best but for an mmo game it is pretty good. presently, swtor is probably the best thing right now to play an mmo. if you want something new and refreshing. Expand
  90. Dec 27, 2011
    The Negative Reviews you have seen thus far are WoW Players and right now they fear this game more than anything else they can muster, so what they do is run rampant around here giving false reviews to make WoW look like a crowning jewel. Fact of the matter is WoW is a dying breed and its leading the way for Games like SWTOR to come into frame. The game runs and plays fine and I enjoyThe Negative Reviews you have seen thus far are WoW Players and right now they fear this game more than anything else they can muster, so what they do is run rampant around here giving false reviews to make WoW look like a crowning jewel. Fact of the matter is WoW is a dying breed and its leading the way for Games like SWTOR to come into frame. The game runs and plays fine and I enjoy every minute of it. Expand
  91. Sep 24, 2012
    Tor does a lot of things right, and in my opinion is the best MMO out there right now. Endgame doesn't do much for me anyway, so i won't comment on it, however, what i have played is fine. The game is constantly evolving and making the experience better. i usually play it on and off, because (like any game) it gets boring if you "overplay" it, but anygame does that, and some people justTor does a lot of things right, and in my opinion is the best MMO out there right now. Endgame doesn't do much for me anyway, so i won't comment on it, however, what i have played is fine. The game is constantly evolving and making the experience better. i usually play it on and off, because (like any game) it gets boring if you "overplay" it, but anygame does that, and some people just fail to realize that if you blow through the content without breaks, it's going to tire you out. Expand
  92. Feb 13, 2013
    A high quality MMO with an immersive storyline. The companions is revolutionary and each class having its own unique story is really darn cool!! The end game has me a little bored which is why this did not het a 9 or 10, but the journey there is absolutely incredible. Whether you are a Star Wars fan or not, this is a great game.
  93. Mar 22, 2014
    Lovely game.I had a great experience playingLovely game.I had a great experience playing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  94. Dec 8, 2013
    I've not played to the endgame where the real issues arose, from what I've heard. But I thought the various class choices were fantastic in how they varied and filled roles. I enjoyed the story and the tension that was there with the Empire vs Republic struggle. The cutscenes brought the questing to a personal level that I enjoyed, though I believe they could have reduced the number ofI've not played to the endgame where the real issues arose, from what I've heard. But I thought the various class choices were fantastic in how they varied and filled roles. I enjoyed the story and the tension that was there with the Empire vs Republic struggle. The cutscenes brought the questing to a personal level that I enjoyed, though I believe they could have reduced the number of them. The personal ship and personal relationship with your crew is great (much like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc). Looking forward to the Starfighter expansion. Expand
  95. Jan 4, 2012
    First off, I've been playing MMO's for a LONG time, I've spent more time in WOW and EQ2 then I'd like to admit. This game hands down trumps them all, polished combat system , graphics and Dragon Age style voice over quests keep you consumed in the games lore. The fact that each character class has its own deep story from level 1 to 50 gives the game PLENTY of playtime until an expansion orFirst off, I've been playing MMO's for a LONG time, I've spent more time in WOW and EQ2 then I'd like to admit. This game hands down trumps them all, polished combat system , graphics and Dragon Age style voice over quests keep you consumed in the games lore. The fact that each character class has its own deep story from level 1 to 50 gives the game PLENTY of playtime until an expansion or add on comes out, and that's not including the competition driven PVP!! The game has some bugs but need I remind of the plagues that infested WoW vanilla and tbc?? The game's interface and play style are similar to WoW which makes it easy for Azeroth vets like myself to dive head first into the game without issues. I don't consider myself a "Star Wars fan" but this game has captured my attention like no other has in the past. Same could be said for my entire 80+ person WoW guild, 3/4 of the guild is now faithfully playing SWTOR and has permanently cancelled their WoW subscriptions!! Well done Bioware! Expand
  96. Dec 24, 2011
    The people that are giving this game negative reviews are most likely not playing the game or expected TOR to be SWG2.0 or extremely brand new. TOR, since day 1, was announced to be building on the already proven MMO formula that seems to be rooted in the direction of EQ/WoW. Its not WoW "in-space", but its a well-made MMO with a GREAT story. If you enjoyed KOTOR, ME/ME2/DA/DA2 - you willThe people that are giving this game negative reviews are most likely not playing the game or expected TOR to be SWG2.0 or extremely brand new. TOR, since day 1, was announced to be building on the already proven MMO formula that seems to be rooted in the direction of EQ/WoW. Its not WoW "in-space", but its a well-made MMO with a GREAT story. If you enjoyed KOTOR, ME/ME2/DA/DA2 - you will love TOR as it allows you to have all what those single player games offered and adds multiplayer aspect to it. I personally love the PvP, love the flashpoints, love the classes. By no means this game is ideal, but out of the MMO launches that I've been in - this is the best MMO at launch and the BEST launch experience I've ever had (and i've played most MMOs in the past 7 years). I recommend this game if you like BioWare games and if you like MMO games. Otherwise wait for trial version! Expand
  97. Dec 23, 2011
    It's extremely funny to read reviews from people that bash the game to bits while they've been submitted on the day of release, which means they didn't even play it. Everyone played the beta and are basing their arguments on issues that were present there. Yes the game still has things that need to be fixed but by all means it's idiotic to bash something that doesn't even have a week inIt's extremely funny to read reviews from people that bash the game to bits while they've been submitted on the day of release, which means they didn't even play it. Everyone played the beta and are basing their arguments on issues that were present there. Yes the game still has things that need to be fixed but by all means it's idiotic to bash something that doesn't even have a week in existence.
    Arguments about PvP being unbalanced are a joke. Classes will get adjustments in the coming weeks as it's been said by the devs. It's logical for some things to be "wrong" since there are games (no i won't mention which) that run for over 5 years and are still incredibly unbalanced.
    All in all this game has massive potential. It looks very nice, the combat, in my opinion, is pretty fun and the story for each character is just plainly put, amazing. The planets are MASSIVE, apart from the two starting planets, which just get you into the story before getting started. To explore the whole of Tattoine or Alderaan you need at least a couple of hours. Quests are extremelly fun to do, as there are no "kill 20 of x" quests in the game. They do exist but ONLY appear as bonus quests in certain areas while you're doing your main quests and you can just skip them, as they disappear from your log when you leave.
    If you've been thinking of playing an MMO, i suggest you give it a try. It's an amazing journey to take. Haters will hate as they say. When someone types in their review that "It's like WoW in space" and grades it with a "2" or worse, it just shows how bad fanboys can hurt a good upcoming game. If it's as good as wow, then why do you slap it down..?
    It's far from perfect and that's why i give it an 8. But it's only the beginning and i'm having high hopes!
  98. Dec 20, 2011
    A solid themepark MMO with that special Bioware storytelling added in. ToR is a ton of fun. ToR also offers some of the most rewarding MMO questing to date. Each class receives complex class-specific story lines. Most quests reward moral choices with light-side/dark-side points. This is very nice additional element to an MMO.
  99. Dec 31, 2011
    This is a satisfying Star Wars mmorpg from Bioware. Its certainly not perfect, but considering it is a fresh release, what Bioware has done so far is impressive. The gameplay elements are nothing groundbreaking, but they are polished. People looking for an experience different from traditional mmorpgs should try out the imperial agent or smuggler class. Still, don't expect anythingThis is a satisfying Star Wars mmorpg from Bioware. Its certainly not perfect, but considering it is a fresh release, what Bioware has done so far is impressive. The gameplay elements are nothing groundbreaking, but they are polished. People looking for an experience different from traditional mmorpgs should try out the imperial agent or smuggler class. Still, don't expect anything revolutionary. Bioware keeps the established formula while using voice acting the make the leveling not feel like grinding.

That being said, the voice acting and the story lines are very impression for the game's scope.People complaining about the graphics should realize the developers weren't going for photo-realism, and no, the game does not have vanilla WoW graphics. If you haven't played mmorpgs extensively, this is a great game to pick up. If you are someone who has played WoW for years and want a change, wait for Guild Wars 2. Since I am in the former category, I am loving this game and if you are too, than grab a copy.

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.