5.9

1. Dec 21, 2011
    I played WoW for 6 years. I've played a lot of MMOs in between as well (AoC, Aion, Rift, STO, etc...). This is the first MMO I have played since WoW that I am actually excited to go home and play. Everyone is entitled to their opinion... but really??!! Of the absolute crap that is out there you guys rate this game less than average (a 5)?!?! I think this game will change MMOs much likeI played WoW for 6 years. I've played a lot of MMOs in between as well (AoC, Aion, Rift, STO, etc...). This is the first MMO I have played since WoW that I am actually excited to go home and play. Everyone is entitled to their opinion... but really??!! Of the absolute crap that is out there you guys rate this game less than average (a 5)?!?! I think this game will change MMOs much like WoW did.

If you liked WoW but want something a little different with heavy emphasis on story this game is it. Companions are great, group dialog is cool (need more of it), solo story is great. Needs better character creation/options, fully fleshed out space combat/quests, and no queues. The real test will be if BW can continue to dole out content that keeps the end game going for PVE players (same with any other MMO, I don't PVP so I don't know what the state of that is).
  2. Dec 20, 2011
    An entertaining way to spend a few months while waiting for other, distant MMOs. While it's true it doesn't innovate as much as it could have, it provides a nice diversion for fans of Star Wars and Bioware RPGs. The storytelling and dialogue system is an interesting alternative to your typical MMO questing, but too often the quests themselves amount to the kill X of Y we've come to expect.An entertaining way to spend a few months while waiting for other, distant MMOs. While it's true it doesn't innovate as much as it could have, it provides a nice diversion for fans of Star Wars and Bioware RPGs. The storytelling and dialogue system is an interesting alternative to your typical MMO questing, but too often the quests themselves amount to the kill X of Y we've come to expect. In all honesty this game is no better or worse than WoW. If you're tired of WoW's world and want a change of scenery but fairly familiar gameplay, consider giving this a try. This is a game you are either going to love or hate. Expand
  3. Dec 21, 2011
    I have beta tested this game, and others. Been a fan of the Star Wars genre since the mid 80's. This game captures the essence of the franchise and gives each class a different and unique story with brilliant voice acting. The looks for everyone are unique as levels progress and they can choose different outfits/armors that really fit their particular 'flavor' more without sacrificing theI have beta tested this game, and others. Been a fan of the Star Wars genre since the mid 80's. This game captures the essence of the franchise and gives each class a different and unique story with brilliant voice acting. The looks for everyone are unique as levels progress and they can choose different outfits/armors that really fit their particular 'flavor' more without sacrificing the protection and buffs. My only complaint is the rail-driven space combat, but if you liked the Star Fox games, you'll like this. the actual MMO is compelling. Ignore the ranting of everyone saying it's a WoW-clone, yes you use a keyboard and mouse to move and there are quests, but every MMO has the characteristics they say is WoW-only, and they were there before that game. My recommendation... give the game a try, join us with the Dark Side. We have cookies. Expand
  4. Dec 20, 2011
    And metacritic proves once again, a swarm of trolls can utterly destroy the so called "user score" with a bunch of 0 reviews.

Frankly put, anyone who rates this game below a 3 should be kicked off of this site. People seem to not quite grasp the idea that 0 to 2 is for terrible terrible TERRIBLE games. If you think Old Republic is among the worst games ever, or even among the worst MMO's ever, you should NEVER be allowed to review a game again. EVER. Yes reviews are subjective, but it's a fact that Old Republic has better graphics, a better story, better gameplay, and better replayabilty than many games. Even if you hate it, those things are true, and thus this game should not be rated alongside the worst games. Give it a 5, 4, or EVEN a 3 can be justified with a good explination... but a 1 or 0... NO WAY you can justify that. Even if you can't play right now because of technical reasons, that's expected in this genre and you should wait a few weeks before reviewing to see if things change.

Ok, rant aside, time to actually review this game!

It's a damn good MMO. However, it is not a FANTASTIC game. The story blows all MMO stories out of the water. I've had a blast with the three class stories I've played (all very different and all very fun). Only problem is the class stories just can't compare to other bioware greats like Baldur's Gate 2 or Old Republic. The stories are fun and enthralling, but not typical bioware quality. That's fully expected due to the fact ALL classes have their own HUGE storyline... which offers a huge amount of replayibilty. If you consider replayibilty is a fair tradeoff for depth, then you'll be a fan of the story, no doubt.

Tying into the story are sidequests. And though they are fully voice acted, most are pretty bland. Ya, the NPC talks and gives you some paper thin reason to go kill X or go fetch Y, but very few managed to grab my attention. Side quests are a low point of this game. Luckily you can avoid many of them and focus on the main story, flashpoints, and PvP.

For an MMO though, the story in this game is borderline revolutionary. Unless I'm doing sidequests in mass, this game never feels like a grind. That's saying something, and as an experienced MMO player, I feel this is truly a huge step forward in the genre.

Sadly, that is the only huge step forward in the genre. The game tries a few new things here and there (like the almost cool companion crafting system), but for the most part, gameplay feels and plays like the average MMO. It's like they put all their effort into the story, and just decided to copy and paste the gameplay. The game doesn't play BAD, it actually feels pretty tight and can be just as fun (if not more so) than WoW. However, you can't help but wish they would have made combat a little more exciting.

The Graphics are *just* good. Some areas are actually quite boring, while others can be pretty nice to look at. However, there are no trippy or jaw dropping locations... and I've found the majority of "dungeons" to be fairly boring to look at. I'm not a huge fan of the character models. However, I must give props to the devs for the death animations. The death animations actually look really smooth and satisfying, sometimes syncing with the final attack. This is surprisingly important when you find yourself needing to kill 25 angry and armed slaves.

Finally I have to give bioware credit for the massive amount of end game credit. I have never seen an MMO launch with such a robust end game. It isn't perfect, and the endgame needs a good amount of tweaking, but there is allot more to do than I would have guessed.

It's hard to explain, but I feel as though this game COULD develop into something fantastic. This is a game that's screaming for an expansion. It's like the devs had so much else to focus on, they had to resort to making certain aspects (like sidequests) subpar. Now that they have it down, and a reasonably stable product to work on, I forsee great things on the horizon.

All in all... I give this a 9/10 for MMO and/or Star Wars fan

BUT

All in all... I give it a 8/10 for the average gamer.
  5. Dec 21, 2011
    Incredibly fun with engaging story that drives you to play additional characters, the game also include mechanics that make it actually enjoyable to play as a casual player rather than someone who plays several hours a day on a rigid schedule. Playing in groups is a great dynamic, and the social options for conversations make the groups even more engaging. There is a distinct lack ofIncredibly fun with engaging story that drives you to play additional characters, the game also include mechanics that make it actually enjoyable to play as a casual player rather than someone who plays several hours a day on a rigid schedule. Playing in groups is a great dynamic, and the social options for conversations make the groups even more engaging. There is a distinct lack of sandboxing, but considering that before the NGE the chief complaint among SWG players was the lack of content, it takes a conscious effort to not understand why BioWare chose to go the complete opposite direction. This game is ALL content. Storylines and conversations are fun and the voice acting is fantastic.

As someone who never enjoyed WOW or EVE or AOC, this game has me completely addicted.
  6. Dec 21, 2011
    TOR has proven to be an enjoyable game. Regardless of the quips of it being a single-player game played alongside other players, it is still an MMORPG. With more emphasis on the RPG aspect of the gaming industry, I find it to be a fantastic change from the general grindfests that many MMOs feel is necessary in a profitable business model. Yes, it draws on many common features of the bigTOR has proven to be an enjoyable game. Regardless of the quips of it being a single-player game played alongside other players, it is still an MMORPG. With more emphasis on the RPG aspect of the gaming industry, I find it to be a fantastic change from the general grindfests that many MMOs feel is necessary in a profitable business model. Yes, it draws on many common features of the big name MMOs but it still has enough difference to make it a distinctive and enjoyable. People need to remember that at no point did BioWare declare SWTOR to be the WoW-killer. It seems to me that good number of people have one set idea of what an MMO should be like and no company may ever deviate from that perception.

However, I will agree that it is not the perfect game. Primarily, the dearth of inter-faction contact in the world on most planets is disappointing. The options for character design could be a bit beefier but they do offer enough to create a near-unique appearance.
  7. Dec 21, 2011
    An old-school mmo rpg with largely unappealing graphics, many traditional features and several great twists that create a genuinely new experience. The role-playing storyline allows for a solid level of immersion; the accent has clearly been on the levelling aspect rather than a rush to endgame raiding. For mmo newcomers it may be a bit rough; for veteran mmo grinders and achievers it willAn old-school mmo rpg with largely unappealing graphics, many traditional features and several great twists that create a genuinely new experience. The role-playing storyline allows for a solid level of immersion; the accent has clearly been on the levelling aspect rather than a rush to endgame raiding. For mmo newcomers it may be a bit rough; for veteran mmo grinders and achievers it will be mind-numbingly easy; for someone who´s had a few short brushes with the genre like me, it is thoroughly enjoyable.

For people who were expecting this to replace wow, this will be a sore disappointment; there is not even a fraction of the endgame content that Wow has to offer, and there certainly is nothing of the reputation farming, honor points farming, achievement hunting, Arena muscle-flexing etc. This game will never become an "e-sport" and for a large majority of wow fan base who need "competition" it won´t deliver. Yet it is worth the money; I expect to comfortably play it for three to four months, enjoy a few storylines, revel in the grouped instances with group conversation choices (awesome!) and, well, sign off.

It´s a game for a few months, well worth the money in my opinion. It´s not a wow replacement at all.

On a side note, when comparing to Wow, consider how much Blizzard is earning every month for its 10 mio+ subscriptions: three months worth of Wow subscriptions would fully cover the SWTOR development costs. The gap between Wow and TOR is huge, and this game will NEVER come even close to that budget. Bioware are still essentially a basement developer squad compared to the behemoth that is Blizzard. Modify your expectations accordingly.
  8. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is great. The combat system is fun and the story driven game play is entertaining. This game is what I have been waiting for.

Great job Bioware.
  9. Dec 21, 2011
    I've played a lot of MMOs (starting with the original EQ, and including every AAA and AA MMO every released), and I really like what SWTOR brings to the table.

Your class story is the central feature -- and most of them are at least interesting. A few are quite good. Related to this is the companion system, which is like having a really shy person in your group at all times that might have quests from time to time.

If you like a game experience similar to Mass Effect and Knight of the Old Republic, but with added cooperative and PvP features, you should give SWTOR a try. It isn't for everyone, certainly, but for me it has been a fresh, story-focused take on the typical MMO grind. A slightly different flavor, if you will, one that will please some and irritate others.
  10. Dec 22, 2011
    I haven't played that much since the early access, I got a level 15 character now and I must say unlike most other blockbuster releases over the last couple of months this game really got me into it - and i don't have any strong feelings towards star wars or any science-fiction universe.
    of course its core is nothing new, but the all the people playing are really trying to get a nice experience out of it.
    the graphic's are likeable, though the engine isn't always as smooth as it could be. i guess i'm gonna spend a lot more hours on the several planets and the space between...
  11. Dec 21, 2011
    Single-player friendly with interesting story lines. Typical MMO (WoW) style combat. Some bugs and performance issues typical of an initial launch. Story driven group content. Companion system. Haven't done the PVP, as that isn't my thing.
  12. Dec 21, 2011
    I am having a blast with this game! This is the first MMO where I actually feel like I'm playing a character instead of just an assembly of numbers. The dialog and story choices really add a lot to the game in that aspect. I love that they have no auto attack as that will remove a lot of balance issues between pvp and pve. The companions and crafting system are really nice. It's great toI am having a blast with this game! This is the first MMO where I actually feel like I'm playing a character instead of just an assembly of numbers. The dialog and story choices really add a lot to the game in that aspect. I love that they have no auto attack as that will remove a lot of balance issues between pvp and pve. The companions and crafting system are really nice. It's great to be able to level your crafts while you are running around doing other things. The space combat, while it could have been more, is a fun mini game that is a nice break between questing.

All that said, there are some issues, and it is not a game for everyone. Anyone who wants to just grind through to endgame as quickly as possible will probably not enjoy the game and will see the cutscenes as an annoyance rather than a benefit. The race and character customization options could be better. (Cyborgs as a race? Come on.) Because every zone is instanced, even a full server can feel empty at times. The UI should be more customizable and some way to analyze your performace (a meter or at least a combat log) would be nice.

Overall I am enjoying the game immensely and expect most of my gripes to be taken care of relatively shortly.
  13. Dec 21, 2011
    SW: TOR is a very formidable adventure/theme park MMORPG, with a lot of polish and a great sense of atmosphere. If you enjoy games like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, or Rift, and you love Star Wars, then TOR is a no-brainer. Bioware has taken elements of their best-selling single-player games and brought them into the MMORPG landscape, with great success. Gone are theSW: TOR is a very formidable adventure/theme park MMORPG, with a lot of polish and a great sense of atmosphere. If you enjoy games like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, or Rift, and you love Star Wars, then TOR is a no-brainer. Bioware has taken elements of their best-selling single-player games and brought them into the MMORPG landscape, with great success. Gone are the days of reading walls of text, and now there are interactive discussions that help shape your character and tell a complete story, on par with most singleplayer games. There hasn't been a benchmark in the industry like this since the WoW juggernaut and if the smooth Early Access Launch is any indication, Bioware is going to be a top MMORPG developer for years to come. Expand
  14. Dec 22, 2011
    This game deserve a solid 9/10 despite all haters. If you enjoy WoW and Mass Effect, this is the perfect game for you. Of course this isn't a revolution in the gender, but this is the best improvement for the mmo market since WoW. A never ending KotoR game = win.
  15. Dec 20, 2011
    Probably my favorite MMO (not a knee-jerk reaction I played the beta for months) and I've played quite a few from DAoC to WoW. At this point I my ideal game has an intriguing story and SWTOR easily delivers. You're essentially getting 8 good-great single player games in one. I look at this as my middle-class mans mass effect that never ends.
    The common legitimate complaints generally
    The common legitimate complaints generally stem from sandbox players and they're completely valid, if you're not a fan of a more linear style of game or class constraints this may not be for you. However if you enjoy an excellent story (for an MMO) and highly polished game play you may be able to overlook the fact that you can't make a jedi with blasters who has to run fly 3 days in real time to reach the second planet. The graphics are fine (people who say they are comparable to wow are blind or playing on a toaster) and have been improved upon quite a bit from the early beta builds (they're definitely not great or revolutionary, but I'd say they are "good"). The game is focused on its many storyline which are, for the most part, quite good. At this point in time, technology limits the amount choices in a game can affect the world, it's simply not practical for bioware to allow choices to noticeably change the galaxy. I can actually think of a few instances of sparing a person and have him actually turn up later in the game, I'd say that's fairly impressive. Overall I'd say the game sits in the 9-10 range. Metacritic should really do some pruning on these reviews it's pretty obvious when 90% of the negative comments are made from accounts with 1 post who proceeded to thumbs up every negative comment and thumbs down the positives. I mean there's no way a post that says "Bioware sold their soul to the EA devil... **** GAME!!!" is in anyway helpful the reader. I don't mean to say that all negative reviews should be discounted, there are legitimate complaints to be maid and ultimately SWTOR may not be your style of game. Still the polished game play and story make this a must buy.
  16. Dec 21, 2011
    TOR = Kotor 3 Multiplayer Edition and it's wonderful for it. It has the usual trappings of MMOs, crafting, PvP instances, entire battle grounds, etc.
    It does not deviate far from the distilled western MMO formula. But what it does is make this formula extremely enjoyable to play.

The voice acted cut scenes replacing the standard paragraphs of npc quest dialogue, and Mass Effect style conversations serve to not only break up the flow of the game, giving the player a brief break before jumping back into the action, it serves to make you truly attached to your character. There are decisions to make, and no matter the angle of your character, some will be very hard.
    It's not just good/bad choices, it's getting the job done but with different consequences.

Playing a Bounty Hunter to lvl 26 so far, I love my character. Every fight I feel like a complete bada**. I don't have a cycle of skills I used in the same order every fight, rather it feels like I have a tool kit that I can choose from based on the situation and what I feel like doing. Nothing compares to running up and rocket punching a giant boss in the nose and then bombing the hell out of his buddies.

TOR isn't for everyone. If you're looking to speed through to the end of the game, this may not be for you. What it is, is an extremely enjoyable journey through the Star Wars universe that can be shared with your friends.
  17. Dec 21, 2011
    There is still a lot of work that can be done to turn this game from an 8 into a 10. Unfortunately like all MMOs, they are currently being plagued by the initial rush or a release and just because they're "BioWare", does not make them immune. If you can overlook the "drama" on the forums and naysayers, and really get into the game, you can appreciate how they've tried to put the RPG backThere is still a lot of work that can be done to turn this game from an 8 into a 10. Unfortunately like all MMOs, they are currently being plagued by the initial rush or a release and just because they're "BioWare", does not make them immune. If you can overlook the "drama" on the forums and naysayers, and really get into the game, you can appreciate how they've tried to put the RPG back into MMORPG. MMOs nowadays are stuck on a gerbil wheel of grind, grind, raid, grind, grind, raid, etc. Worse, some lack any coherent story or consistency, completely taking out the immersion factor. This is a game for RPGers, not someone that wants to blast off 1-50 in 1 day and blow through content on day 2. They are able to weave choices into your quests/instances that determines the outcome/reward at the end. They even tie up your quest and story lines with follow up in game mail messages, helping you feel that you've accomplished something and an additional reward. And people need to realize their customer service is being bomarded daily and yet, they're still able to deliver. For example, the Taris bug. Myself and many other players experienced it, reported it, and was fixed and patched in 2-3 days. The community manger responds promptly to twitter questions and the forums without speaking down to their players. Where can you get this kind of response time and level of civility and service? Sure as hell not from WoW, and I loved Blizz and WoW. Unfortunately, their hubris got the better of them, shunned the community, and almost all of their communication as of late reeks of arrogance. SWTOR still has a long way to go to become a top dog MMO, but I have confidence in them so long as they:
    A) Do not turn their backs on creating intricate story and lore
    B) Do not shun the community and let pride get to their heads
    C) Continue the level of communication with the community in the going future
    D) Provide more customization
    E) Provide robust end game content and not half-assed like some other MMO...
  18. Dec 20, 2011
    It was to be expected: many people raging all over metacritic cause BioWare *** this and BioWare **** that. Really, since DA2 they suddenly can't do any good anymore. It would be safe to ignore all that biased hate cause The Old Republic is a very interesting and addicting game. It has a lot of content and plays quite like you know from the KotOR games. Does it feel like an MMO? Yes itIt was to be expected: many people raging all over metacritic cause BioWare *** this and BioWare **** that. Really, since DA2 they suddenly can't do any good anymore. It would be safe to ignore all that biased hate cause The Old Republic is a very interesting and addicting game. It has a lot of content and plays quite like you know from the KotOR games. Does it feel like an MMO? Yes it does, you are hardly ever alone except when you go advance in your personal story and even then you can take someone along. Planets are quite big and there is much to see and to do. Classes seem to be balanced so no problem there. PvP is a bit like WoW. You're playing in battlegrounds but there is also open world pvp for big battles. Only thing I miss right now is anti-aliasing but BioWare said they would throw that in shortly after launch just as more content so there will be plenty of things to do. This one's a winner and could overthrow WoW I'm sure. Having a great time in a Galaxy far, far away... Expand
  19. Dec 21, 2011
    It's funny how critics are praising this game and sore WoW faithfuls are mocking it because they fear the power of the Dark Side. This game is not a WoW clone. It's an entirely different entity in itself. Naturally it has aspects of WoW but EVERY MMO will. The fact is: WoW fans are scared that their reign at the top of the MMO world may soon be coming to an end.

How can WoW compete

How can WoW compete with the vast lore and rich story telling that can only come from the Star Wars Universe? How can it compete with Space missions and space battles, planet hopping, brave and cunning Jedi Masters, ruthless and powerful Sith Lords, and quirky droid companions? How can it compete with a fanbase that has existed for over 30 years! It can't, so naturally, the WoW faithful are scared. Their is a new player in town and these gamers have to get over it and accept that they had a run like no other game in history, but it is time to pass the torch. Better game play, graphics, an epic soundtrack, and great mechanics.
  20. Dec 21, 2011
    The amount of negativity I see is staggering and honestly very unsettling. Many of the reviews are not only unfair, they seem written by people who have either never played a MMORPG before or actively find reasons to complain and give low scores.

A lot of people come off a previous Star Wars game, Star Wars Galaxies which was a totally different monster - it was a "sandbox game" which for those who don't know the terminology means a game that you can make your own. You could build a virtual city and live in it. Make a store and sell things. The worlds were huge and empty and built for players to create their *own* community. TOR is not a "sandbox game" - However it is the next evolution of the the online Star Wars genre. TOR takes the best aspects of several MMORPGs and combines them to create a totally new yet familiar beast. For example, some people are complaining at the lack of options during character creation. This game has a ton more choices then another successful game, World of Warcraft. That game has one body choice. TOR has 4. Then you get to the face and have a vast number of choices to craft your avatars face.

Tor is like a corvette with a custom engine. They researched many of the things that "worked" in multiple MMORPG's, tweaked it, and improved upon it!

The most amazing aspect of the game is the storytelling - not only is it all voiced (which is mind boggling), every storyline is well written and makes my experience in TOR one of the best I've had online. You have the potential to play through EIGHT different storylines (4 Sith Empire and 4 Republic) and you can also play a male or female character (with its own voice).

The game adds something I have not seen before in any game - Flashpoints! Flashpoints are missions that are performed in a group and offer conversation choices that each player has a chance to chose. Once chosen, virtual dice are thrown and whoever gets the highest roll is the response the game uses! It makes for some very exciting and fun roleplaying (even if you aren't a roleplayer!) where the attitude of the party (and sometimes the story) changes as you make your way through the Flashpoint. At one point we had a choice to kill an important character or allow that character to live! Hope you roll high!

Anyway, this game is amazing and the launch was one of the smoothest launches I have seen for an MMORPG in years. The developers promise tons of updates and with the money they are making with the successful launch of TOR and I believe they will deliver.

Finally, despite the negative online responses here, there is a VAST majority who are having a blast with TOR and are currently playing the game as opposed to the very vocal minority that has found a soapbox to stand on and complain.
  21. Dec 21, 2011
    I haven't been able to play this game enough, each class is amazingly fun, the plot lines are addicting and I have to know what else happens next. I was amazed at how well the pvp feels, you can jump right in at level 10 and still make a difference against level 30's and 50's etc. The crafting is somewhat unique for MMO's and while it feels slow its not annoying and I can see how it willI haven't been able to play this game enough, each class is amazingly fun, the plot lines are addicting and I have to know what else happens next. I was amazed at how well the pvp feels, you can jump right in at level 10 and still make a difference against level 30's and 50's etc. The crafting is somewhat unique for MMO's and while it feels slow its not annoying and I can see how it will be down the line will be engaging without feeling like a grind.

I feel this game is well worth your time and money, very fun and with the entire thing scripted with voice acting it feels like you're really immersed in the game.
  22. Dec 20, 2011
    I am 22 lvl and didn`t skip any quests at all, I have to do them becouse voice acting, world design, combat animation, story telling made this expieriens much more interestning. There is bugs here and there, but after all I will think twice before buying a copy of GW2. Think I became a Star Wars fan. Haters are gonna hate.
  23. Dec 20, 2011
    World of Warcraft in space with Voice-overs. That pretty much sums up The Old Republic entirely. Now, is that a bad thing? No, I don't think so. After all, millions of people have played World of Warcraft for six years, so clearly it's a model that works. The voice-overs really add to the experience, the class stories make the leveling process feel like "the game" instead of "that boringWorld of Warcraft in space with Voice-overs. That pretty much sums up The Old Republic entirely. Now, is that a bad thing? No, I don't think so. After all, millions of people have played World of Warcraft for six years, so clearly it's a model that works. The voice-overs really add to the experience, the class stories make the leveling process feel like "the game" instead of "that boring part you're forced to do before you get to max level". There are a few interesting ideas thrown in like the way the map functions, the way even outdoor content scales to match your party size, etc. So yeah, this in summary, good effort. Is it here to stay? That depends on how well they handle the end-game. Expand
  24. Dec 20, 2011
    TOR is a game that is going to split people down the middle. If you enjoy story, taking your time and exploring a wide universe then this game is for you. If, on the other hand, you want a perfect wow clone and instant gratification then you'll probably leave this game after a few weeks.

Like ay game there are currrently some teething issues, in an effort to keep server population BW has implemented a vey unpopular queue system with some servers having a wait time of hours to log oto. Coupled to this are some pretty serious optimisation issues with lots of users reporting low to medium fps on some killer rigs.

In addition to those there are still some minor gameplay bugs, the two biggest at the moment are a buged companion (Kira) and some pretty bad lag in Tarris. Despite this the game still manages to be fun, epic and makes you truly feel that you are the hero. For me it is definitely worth my monthly money and I expect to play this game for many years, after all it can only get better, especially with some of the hinted features still to come!
  25. Dec 20, 2011
    Played for the last 7 days, currently level 35. loving it so far, combat is fun, the story is awesome, loving the voiceovers. There is a lot of group content which i love, i have done 5 different dungeons so far, which is pretty good for a level 30. So far so good!
  26. Dec 20, 2011
    After the turd that was Dragon Age II I was worried, but with this fantastic game Bioware has won me back. Server queues are a problem for now, but otherwise I don't think I've ever played a game with such engrossing storytelling. For once, I actually give a damn about my character - they're not just some avatar that I stick things on. Praise also needs to be given for being one of theAfter the turd that was Dragon Age II I was worried, but with this fantastic game Bioware has won me back. Server queues are a problem for now, but otherwise I don't think I've ever played a game with such engrossing storytelling. For once, I actually give a damn about my character - they're not just some avatar that I stick things on. Praise also needs to be given for being one of the first RPGs to actually bother with a proper evil storyline, instead of just making evil acts all those that are "not good". The game has a lot of stock MMO elements but these are generally well-done. The UI is imperfect, and needs improvement. Expand
  27. Dec 21, 2011
    While the game does include some minor issues expected of any MMO during its infancy, many of those expected are minor or completely absent. The story, from what I have seen, is excellently written, the sound is very well done, and the graphics (while an issue of some debate) are beautiful. The game can run even on lower end machines (I run an AMD dual core 3Ghz with 4Gb RAM and SapphireWhile the game does include some minor issues expected of any MMO during its infancy, many of those expected are minor or completely absent. The story, from what I have seen, is excellently written, the sound is very well done, and the graphics (while an issue of some debate) are beautiful. The game can run even on lower end machines (I run an AMD dual core 3Ghz with 4Gb RAM and Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 512Mb low profile) And even on my settings if shadows are turned off, I can run the game on high settings. While the game is very similar to many MMOs with features like hotbars, quests, instanced dungeons and PvP, and also has a way of making these features feel new and fresh. The voice overs making the quests feel meaning full rather than yet another pointless slaughter of some creature. NPCs feel more alive than other MMO's as they have a personality and story, and PvP matches, while currently limited, have interesting twists like "Huttball" with an announcer that makes comments about the match. The character customization is somewhat lacking compared to some newer MMO's but is superior to its major competitor, World of Warcraft. Unless you are absolutely set on having very immense customization options to alter every last freckle on your characters face, this should not bother you. Phasing is heavily used, but in my personal opinion, it is used well. Unlike World of Warcraft that require lockstep questing in order to maintain phase with friends, The Old Republic will have multiple identical instances of a zone to prevent excessive overcrowding (although sometimes quest areas are still busy) Your characters story quests are also instanced so that you are not waiting in line for ever other character of your class to complete it. The Old Republic seems to have found a good balance between maintaining a high population, area crowding, and quest completion ability by players. Flashpoints (or dungeons) are very entertaining with entire stories that can play out in multiple ways depending on how the group chooses to go about it. Whenever there is a conversation each party member gets to chose a response and whoever wins the roll says their choice. Some of these lead to different outcomes but your choice is the only one that affects dark or light side points. So you do not have to worry about being the only guy with a heart who doesnt want to flush innocent people into space and losing alignment for it.

Items are highly customizable stat wise allowing you to level your items up with modifications. So you can use the same armor for a long time if its high quality by adding new modifications to it. The weapon customization also affects the color of your blaster bolts or lightsaber blade. If you use a yellow color crystal your bolts or blade is also yellow, and there are various colors to chose from. All in all this is an extremely well done MMO that many will love. The one thing that may turn some people away is the fact that the journey to endgame is designed to be just as fun and important as endgame so you are really cheating yourself if you rush past it. If you want to hit endgame ASAP and could care less about story and the RPG aspects then this may not be your game. If you want to play and MMORPG that actually is an RPG and not a shadow of that title, or are interested in the Star Wars Universe, you will be very pleased with this.
  28. Dec 20, 2011
    This is one of the best MMO out there. Yes it does need work but people are comparing this to wow. This is not wow. This is bioware... They have awesome cutscene. and game play is unbelievable detail. I've been both in beta and now enjoying the finished product. I see a lot of people rating this game low... Aka most are wow players or elistest. Starwars the old republic and otherThis is one of the best MMO out there. Yes it does need work but people are comparing this to wow. This is not wow. This is bioware... They have awesome cutscene. and game play is unbelievable detail. I've been both in beta and now enjoying the finished product. I see a lot of people rating this game low... Aka most are wow players or elistest. Starwars the old republic and other starwars game are all about the community and fan base. Bioware is a developer who has reached the high level. Yes every company has there flaws but I'm giving this game a 10. Expand
  29. Dec 20, 2011
    This game does not deserve 0 or 1, think it's a great game with a good story with different perspectives, solid gameplay even though it is very similar to wow, i have been 3 different classes and have enjoyed them all. The endgame is obviously lacking a bit as any new mmo usually is and defenetly will need some work but overall I believe it's a solid start. I also do not mind theThis game does not deserve 0 or 1, think it's a great game with a good story with different perspectives, solid gameplay even though it is very similar to wow, i have been 3 different classes and have enjoyed them all. The endgame is obviously lacking a bit as any new mmo usually is and defenetly will need some work but overall I believe it's a solid start. I also do not mind the environments, never enjoyed walking a million miles in wow to grab a stupid quest item. I am going to give this a ten to even out all the haters unfair 1"s and 0"s Expand
  30. Dec 21, 2011
    From the beginning, it was clear to me that all of BW's hype was directed towards one goal: producing an MMO that would be more like Knights of the Old Republic in gameplay and style than the traditional MMO. In that, I think they have come closer than any other MMOG. If you like the single-player RPG, you'll appreciate SW:TOR. The questing is actually more like Mass Effect, with fullFrom the beginning, it was clear to me that all of BW's hype was directed towards one goal: producing an MMO that would be more like Knights of the Old Republic in gameplay and style than the traditional MMO. In that, I think they have come closer than any other MMOG. If you like the single-player RPG, you'll appreciate SW:TOR. The questing is actually more like Mass Effect, with full voiceover and a somewhat limited 2-3 response system. I find I miss the more extended conversations you could have in KotOR, and even ME (using the "left side" of the dialog wheel that could give you more info rather than make character decisions on the right).

So, if you are looking for the "traditional MMOG experience"--focused on raiding, endgame, and PvP, you might find it lacking. It has those, but it certainly isn't a distinguishing element of the game. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a KotOR/ME kind of game, you will likely find it engaging.

So far, I find the questing fun and engaging, with some character's stories a bit better than the others (have only played two main classes so far). There are 4 main classes in each faction (Republic/Empire), with unique stories for all. However, the side quests are shared among all classes.

So far, I've noted the lack of what feels like "grinding" (I've gone into the early 20s with one character), and I've seen very little need to "farm" mobs (though I did a little at times to get that little extra XP to level). If this keeps up (and I was told it does pretty much up through the 40s), this is in itself unique in MMOGs--having fun while leveling? Incredible :)

And a final note for the hardcore gamer: I am seeing a lot of subtle complexity in the ability system that one needs to master to maximize your character. It's not conducive to having a strict rotation, and you are constantly having to manage your resource pool and activate abilities based on the special effects that sometimes get triggered from other abilities. So here's a place for you to show off your l33t performance :)

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.