5.9

1. Jun 1, 2012
    I'll keep this short. Bioware did a great job, yet not perfect. The whole point of an mmorpg is to build on the game as people play it. Do I think after a slew of new updates this can be perfect? Yes.

There are some great storylines, but than a lot of bad ones. They need to expand on the bad or consolidate them down. A big problem, beside hackers, for mmorpgs is that of size. Some fans

A big problem, beside hackers, for mmorpgs is that of size. Some fans want things to be endless (lots of stories, etc.), others like myself want quality over quantity. I believe only small things can be great, and that trying to make things collosally good is almost impossible, though it's not, Bioware has a lot of work ahead to pull off such a rare feet.

I'm excited for the future.
  2. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is pretty much exactly what I wanted from an MMO. Most MMO's try to either be too similar, or very different from WoW, this one on the other hand is a very nice balance.
  3. Dec 24, 2011
    A masterpiece. 90% of these low reviews probably have not played the game or played less than 10 hours. Haters gonna hate, play more than 10 hours and youll see the true beauty
  4. Dec 20, 2011
    If you've ever liked world of warcraft, or if you've ever liked a bioware game like mass effect, you will really enjoy star wars the old republic. You can't go wrong buying this game. At worst, you can play this game to max level a couple times and uninstall. At best you'll play it for many many hours.

If you are looking for a sand box mmo, keep looking (if you want an AAA sand box mmo, sorry, they don't exist).
  5. Dec 29, 2012
    I have about 40 hours into this game and so far, I would say it's a 10. I dk the reason so many people disliked it, other than all I can say is that I have been an avid PC gamer my whole life, but shied away from MMOs, except Anarchy Online which I never could really get into. They just weren't my thing. However, this combination of story driven/MMO really bridged the gap for me. I canI have about 40 hours into this game and so far, I would say it's a 10. I dk the reason so many people disliked it, other than all I can say is that I have been an avid PC gamer my whole life, but shied away from MMOs, except Anarchy Online which I never could really get into. They just weren't my thing. However, this combination of story driven/MMO really bridged the gap for me. I can play alone or with others at any time, it's great. The graphics are retro but clean crisp, the stories are really fun, and the Star Wars atmospheres are just amazing, both in creativity and in breadth (politically as well as environmentally). And it's free, so if you're not sure, try it out. If you like it, try buying a few Cartel Coins to get a couple of unlocks and you will become a Preferred Player which is better anyway and not that expensive. Expand
  6. Oct 9, 2014
    Best, I love it, Star Wars forever with lot of people.
    I don't agree with the haters. This is a very good game with epic and beautiful story.
  7. Dec 21, 2011
    I've played this game since August in BETA and was blown away at first. While the graphics are stylized, they can be breathtaking, just looking out over a city I had just visited on top of a cliff, well it can be staggering, the music, well that's fantastic too. You really have 8 single player story lines here as all the different classes have individual class stories, but really thereI've played this game since August in BETA and was blown away at first. While the graphics are stylized, they can be breathtaking, just looking out over a city I had just visited on top of a cliff, well it can be staggering, the music, well that's fantastic too. You really have 8 single player story lines here as all the different classes have individual class stories, but really there are 2 totally different games; Empire and Republic.

It's standard MMO game play, coming from SWG the interface is nice and easy. The fighting, well you seem to be executing the moves in real-time, unless you look too deep into the system, so it's tight and fun. The quests are on another level to anything I've played before, yes it's all standard kill things, collect things etc.. but it's done in a meaningful way. The story grips, you as the voice acting and animation of the storylines is fantastic. There are lots of twists to the plot and it plays like an interactive movie, really beyond any other game I've played.

I started Beta as a Sith Warrior, I didn't care to play this at live, so not spoiling the experience, well I quickly started enjoying being an evil so and so. After a while you unlock your companion (and get five more along the way). They are suited to what your character needs most, a healer, a tank or dps. They really are great in combat and have been written with fantastic dialogue. My first companion was Vette, very similar to Mission from KOTOR in many ways ;) You can have a lot of fun with Vette if you're evil but it came to a point where I didn't want to disapoint her, she changed my playstyle. Each companion earns affection by the choices you make and have their own stories, quests etc.. it's all very well done but what did you expect from Bioware. If you're in to a bit of Bioware romance, you can romance your companions and several NPC's. In particular the Jedi and Sith Warriors go around the galaxy getting more action than Kirk!

Is it an MMO? Well there are plenty of people to meet if you want to, you can also just play by yourself and group up for the heroics and flashpoints. Really suits my casual, dip into to MMO but still have freedom to do my own thing.

I always said I would tire of playing when the story lines ran out, well five months on I'm playing Sith Warrior for the second time and still having a blast. You can play the game so many different ways and while your actions don't have vast consequences if you look very deeply, they do seem to. You can play several quest by fihgting or you can negotiate your way out of many a fight if you want to.
    bugs, well I haven't seen too many since August.. it's very polished, yes they are there but nothing that will get in your way.

If you love Bioware and Kotor, give it a try. I guarantee you will enjoy no matter what your playstyle is. You may not be into the MMO thing but you can play it as a single player game for a month and take it from there.

There really isn't anything more fun than fighting a mob on top of a cliff or bridge somewhere like Alderaan. You're running low on health and suddenly the cooldown on your force choke or force push comes back in to play... pick the baddie up by the throat with force choke, then force push him over the bridge to his death....
  8. Jan 4, 2012
    First off, I've been playing MMO's for a LONG time, I've spent more time in WOW and EQ2 then I'd like to admit. This game hands down trumps them all, polished combat system , graphics and Dragon Age style voice over quests keep you consumed in the games lore. The fact that each character class has its own deep story from level 1 to 50 gives the game PLENTY of playtime until an expansion orFirst off, I've been playing MMO's for a LONG time, I've spent more time in WOW and EQ2 then I'd like to admit. This game hands down trumps them all, polished combat system , graphics and Dragon Age style voice over quests keep you consumed in the games lore. The fact that each character class has its own deep story from level 1 to 50 gives the game PLENTY of playtime until an expansion or add on comes out, and that's not including the competition driven PVP!! The game has some bugs but need I remind of the plagues that infested WoW vanilla and tbc?? The game's interface and play style are similar to WoW which makes it easy for Azeroth vets like myself to dive head first into the game without issues. I don't consider myself a "Star Wars fan" but this game has captured my attention like no other has in the past. Same could be said for my entire 80+ person WoW guild, 3/4 of the guild is now faithfully playing SWTOR and has permanently cancelled their WoW subscriptions!! Well done Bioware! Expand
  9. Jan 2, 2012
    This is the first time I've done a review, and I'm doing it to encourage you to try this game out. I've been gaming since PC's were invented and I've never played a game like SWTOR. Graphically it's outstanding. Gameplay is outstanding. The writing is universally great and it works whether you play as a solo type or a person that likes grouping. Space combat is flying "along a rail"This is the first time I've done a review, and I'm doing it to encourage you to try this game out. I've been gaming since PC's were invented and I've never played a game like SWTOR. Graphically it's outstanding. Gameplay is outstanding. The writing is universally great and it works whether you play as a solo type or a person that likes grouping. Space combat is flying "along a rail" and fun, the crafting options are really extensive and by letting your companions do the work, lots of fun. Speaking of companions, they make the game in my opinion. You get at lvl 10 your own little team, and frankly the companion AI is as good as most players. Definitely on my top 10 list of all time. Expand
  10. Dec 30, 2011
    This game deserves alot of praise. i don't think anyone remembers how buggy wow was at launch, and swtor is pretty smooth considering its a launching mmo. not only that, but it also has the best graphics an mmo has ever had. simply put, swtor is the best mmo i have ever played. the combat is satisfying, the classes are balanced, and the world actually feels alive. the voice work alone isThis game deserves alot of praise. i don't think anyone remembers how buggy wow was at launch, and swtor is pretty smooth considering its a launching mmo. not only that, but it also has the best graphics an mmo has ever had. simply put, swtor is the best mmo i have ever played. the combat is satisfying, the classes are balanced, and the world actually feels alive. the voice work alone is staggering and near perfect. but alas, every time a popular giant multiplayer experience gets cut loose to the world, trolls have to ruin it for everyone by rating it a 0. anyone who rated this below a 6 has obviously never really played the game. please don't trust these silly children who have nothing better to do then bash a game because they cant afford it... Expand
  11. Dec 26, 2011
    Trollololol - look at all these red reviews.

Honestly, I'm an old MMO gamer and I have to say this game is fun. I've been playing MMOs since the turn of the century, UO, EQ, AC, DAoC, AO, AC II, SWG, Eve, EQ II, WoW, CoH / CoV, Conan, STO, Rift... and more. All good games in their own right, all with something new to offer. Bioware capitalized on their strength for this one:
    Trollololol - look at all these red reviews.

Bioware capitalized on their strength for this one: Storytelling. Using that as their base and adding the strengths that made those other titles fun has made this a fun and social experience that gave you a window into a different world for you and your friends to explore.

Fun and social. In truth, that's the core of what makes a great MMO.
  12. Jan 4, 2012
    (Metacritic, Please put up G4TV's 5/5 review to add a 100% at the top).
    (Metacritic, Please put up G4TV's 5/5 review to add a 100% at the top).
    Note to readers, I had been playing MMORPG's since the summer of 1999, When Everquest came out, then in 2000 after Ultima Online Renneciannce came out, I began to play both UO and EQ on and off, then played every Major MMORPG in beta and most in Pre-Release and Release. No MMORPG since EQ have I felt so enthrilled to play, like what I was doing really mattered; matching in the same way that Everquest felt like I was really exploring this world that nobody else could experience in the same way I could. - This is the perfect new age MMORPG and transition for the MMO Market. I believe BioWare is one of the FINEST developers in the business, and for the debut MMO from the amazing RPG developer, they really knock the ball out of the park with a 10/10 grandslam.. What is there to complain about? The story-arch as an Imperial Agent choosing Operative at Level 10 has been amazing thus far, and love making my dark-side choices; I PVP endlessly and Space Combat is a "Blast". It's the perfect Star Wars game, and arguably the perfect MMORPG.
  13. Dec 24, 2011
    this game's current user score (6.1) is undeserved. This game is more like an 8, but i'm giving it a 10 to balance out the ridiculous trolling and smear campaign that is going on here. When did PC gamers become a bunch of pissy brats who will dedicate more time to finding things wrong with a game then actually playing it? It's sad, it really is. And we wonder why the industry appears to bethis game's current user score (6.1) is undeserved. This game is more like an 8, but i'm giving it a 10 to balance out the ridiculous trolling and smear campaign that is going on here. When did PC gamers become a bunch of pissy brats who will dedicate more time to finding things wrong with a game then actually playing it? It's sad, it really is. And we wonder why the industry appears to be leaving us behind.... Expand
  14. Dec 20, 2011
    I've played many MMOs: WoW, DDO, LOTRO, Star Trek, Champions Online, EVE, etc. I spent several years playing WoW. This, by far, is one of the best MMOs I have played. It's is incredibly immersive. The story-lines pull you in and keep you wanting more. The combat is smooth, active and enjoyable. This is the Star Wars RPG I have always wanted. Like any good MMO developer, Bioware has triedI've played many MMOs: WoW, DDO, LOTRO, Star Trek, Champions Online, EVE, etc. I spent several years playing WoW. This, by far, is one of the best MMOs I have played. It's is incredibly immersive. The story-lines pull you in and keep you wanting more. The combat is smooth, active and enjoyable. This is the Star Wars RPG I have always wanted. Like any good MMO developer, Bioware has tried to implement some of the best features and elements of any MMO. The comparisons to WoW are only surface deep. Anyone claiming it is "WoW with lightsabers" has not spent any significant time with either product. Expand
  15. Dec 22, 2011
    Speaking of Bioware... I loved BG 1 and 2, I loved KOTOR, I loved both ME games, I liked DA:O very much, I was bored to death with DA2. And I'm in love again with TOR. Thank you Bioware :)
  16. Dec 29, 2011
    Awesome game! Whilst some aspects may be familar to MMO veterans (which isn't that suprising...it hasn't invented its own genre) the fact that each class has its own well written, immersive, and fully voiced story is where this game's innovation lies. I'm becoming slowly more and more addicted to this game, and have more or less stopped playing anything else despite the awesome games thatAwesome game! Whilst some aspects may be familar to MMO veterans (which isn't that suprising...it hasn't invented its own genre) the fact that each class has its own well written, immersive, and fully voiced story is where this game's innovation lies. I'm becoming slowly more and more addicted to this game, and have more or less stopped playing anything else despite the awesome games that are out right now!

If you liked KOTOR or Dragon age you will probably also like this. It's basically a modernised KOTOR that you share with friends and other people on the internet.
  17. Mar 12, 2012
    IMO, I finally an mmo, that can satisfy. For an mmo in it's infancy, this game is extremely refined. I have been playing since launch, and I was very skeptical. I wasn't expecting this game to be so nicely involved with story, and great pvp. This game won't please everyone, and there are a lot of wow fanbois feeling the pain with their new happy pandas, and don't want to lose theirIMO, I finally an mmo, that can satisfy. For an mmo in it's infancy, this game is extremely refined. I have been playing since launch, and I was very skeptical. I wasn't expecting this game to be so nicely involved with story, and great pvp. This game won't please everyone, and there are a lot of wow fanbois feeling the pain with their new happy pandas, and don't want to lose their game. But if you want an mmo with some grit, and a game that entertains, this is a good one. At least try it and find out for yourself. Expand
  18. Dec 20, 2011
    The only MMO on the market that is worth a subscription fee. A true masterpiece from BioWare. The attention to detail and the unique aspects of the game are mind blowing. I am hooked.
  19. Oct 27, 2015
    One of the best MMO in the market. I guess I am over 1,000 hours of play and I own 8 characters. An awesome story-driven MMO, with PVE and PVP fights. Forget here to find hackers, you can play safe. Now it's also free-to-play. You have play it!!
  20. Dec 30, 2011
    Awesome game, if you were expecting something hugely different from WoW, sorry to dissappoint. Seems only the WoW fanboys are crying on the negative reviews. This is a masterpiece
  21. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game. It's fun - not to mention so refreshing than dealing with swords, shields, and QQing Deathknights 10/44 year olds. I love all the WoW players who are hating on this game because half their friends left for it. Time to grow up, folks!
  22. Dec 20, 2011
    This is the game for you if you like mmorpgs but are bored of world of warcraft., very inmersive and fun, bioware has to do lots of thing to improve it, but as it is now already is a very solid game. My score would be a 8, but seeing that people only use 0 when they want to criticize i have to give a 10 for it to balance out.
  23. Dec 20, 2011
    Probably my favorite MMO (not a knee-jerk reaction I played the beta for months) and I've played quite a few from DAoC to WoW. At this point I my ideal game has an intriguing story and SWTOR easily delivers. You're essentially getting 8 good-great single player games in one. I look at this as my middle-class mans mass effect that never ends.
    The common legitimate complaints generally
    The common legitimate complaints generally stem from sandbox players and they're completely valid, if you're not a fan of a more linear style of game or class constraints this may not be for you. However if you enjoy an excellent story (for an MMO) and highly polished game play you may be able to overlook the fact that you can't make a jedi with blasters who has to run fly 3 days in real time to reach the second planet. The graphics are fine (people who say they are comparable to wow are blind or playing on a toaster) and have been improved upon quite a bit from the early beta builds (they're definitely not great or revolutionary, but I'd say they are "good"). The game is focused on its many storyline which are, for the most part, quite good. At this point in time, technology limits the amount choices in a game can affect the world, it's simply not practical for bioware to allow choices to noticeably change the galaxy. I can actually think of a few instances of sparing a person and have him actually turn up later in the game, I'd say that's fairly impressive. Overall I'd say the game sits in the 9-10 range. Metacritic should really do some pruning on these reviews it's pretty obvious when 90% of the negative comments are made from accounts with 1 post who proceeded to thumbs up every negative comment and thumbs down the positives. I mean there's no way a post that says "Bioware sold their soul to the EA devil... **** GAME!!!" is in anyway helpful the reader. I don't mean to say that all negative reviews should be discounted, there are legitimate complaints to be maid and ultimately SWTOR may not be your style of game. Still the polished game play and story make this a must buy.
  24. Feb 5, 2017
    Still truly amazing, and the new expansions have really gave us more intrigue story to sink our teeth into.
    A great story-driven mmorg that makes you the centre of the story and not just a mook.
    Wonderful!
  25. Jan 1, 2012
    This game is hard to judge until you've played all of it, it lags at points like all mmos doâ
  26. Dec 22, 2011
    Amazing game with fantastic voice work, story and multi player content, so far 60ish hours in and its a worth successor to the KOTOR series. The flashpoints are epic, the sound fantastic and it really feels like star wars. The only downside is that with so many side quests it can dilute the class story a bit.
  27. Dec 23, 2011
    A great combination of RPG and MMO, a true MMORPG. The story lines are great, especially for the Empire, The graphics are nice for an MMO, and the voices acting is great. Some small hiccups with minor bugs and the queues are still there, but overall, extremely entertaining. Additional character customization would be nice, but a majority of MMO's are lacking in this area. Anxious to seeA great combination of RPG and MMO, a true MMORPG. The story lines are great, especially for the Empire, The graphics are nice for an MMO, and the voices acting is great. Some small hiccups with minor bugs and the queues are still there, but overall, extremely entertaining. Additional character customization would be nice, but a majority of MMO's are lacking in this area. Anxious to see how the game progresses and new content is added. Expand
  28. Dec 24, 2011
    The people that are giving this game negative reviews are most likely not playing the game or expected TOR to be SWG2.0 or extremely brand new. TOR, since day 1, was announced to be building on the already proven MMO formula that seems to be rooted in the direction of EQ/WoW. Its not WoW "in-space", but its a well-made MMO with a GREAT story. If you enjoyed KOTOR, ME/ME2/DA/DA2 - you willThe people that are giving this game negative reviews are most likely not playing the game or expected TOR to be SWG2.0 or extremely brand new. TOR, since day 1, was announced to be building on the already proven MMO formula that seems to be rooted in the direction of EQ/WoW. Its not WoW "in-space", but its a well-made MMO with a GREAT story. If you enjoyed KOTOR, ME/ME2/DA/DA2 - you will love TOR as it allows you to have all what those single player games offered and adds multiplayer aspect to it. I personally love the PvP, love the flashpoints, love the classes. By no means this game is ideal, but out of the MMO launches that I've been in - this is the best MMO at launch and the BEST launch experience I've ever had (and i've played most MMOs in the past 7 years). I recommend this game if you like BioWare games and if you like MMO games. Otherwise wait for trial version! Expand
  29. Dec 20, 2011
    Beautiful storyline and beautiful graphics Lucas team did a superb job. Currently leveling a Sith warrior and so far it is enjoyable. Questing is fun one minute you're on planet and the next deep in space. Haven't encountered any PVP yet, I am a level 21, so far the dungeons have been great I am fighting great Jedi knights known in them movies with you and a group of random people. As farBeautiful storyline and beautiful graphics Lucas team did a superb job. Currently leveling a Sith warrior and so far it is enjoyable. Questing is fun one minute you're on planet and the next deep in space. Haven't encountered any PVP yet, I am a level 21, so far the dungeons have been great I am fighting great Jedi knights known in them movies with you and a group of random people. As far as professions, you don't have to worry you have slaves that can work for you 24/7, so you don't have to be picking on herbs have your slave to do it. So, far it is a fun game and can't wait for end content raiding, world bosses, and PVP SAAAAAN! Expand
  30. Dec 21, 2011
    Been fantastic so far. The story makes all the difference. I actually care about the character I'm playing for once. There's no way you can rate this below a 5. Even if you think it is a knock off of WoW it's polished as hell and introduces a dynamic story.
  31. May 19, 2012
    As my first earnest go in the MMO genre (2 weeks of Guild Wars and 2 days of WoW played prior) - I can honestly say this has brought me whole hearted-ly into the MMO space with love. I have been playing now since the Australasian launch (March) and have subbed for another 6 months on the basis that this is some of the best gaming I've experienced.... ever.

I've played both Republic and

I've played both Republic and Imperial sides - 3 characters to 50, and several alts levelled to 20 or so.. and I can honestly say it's some of the best storytelling in the business. I've come from an RPG background (Baldur's Gate / PST / Arcanum style), and this has been a learning experience for me - the richness and deep skill involved with PvP/Tactics and gear selection have all surprised me.. It is some hearty stuff, and if you're a Star Wars fan, you will be in HEAVEN (as I am).

Go out and get this game if you:

1) Love Star Wars / 2) Love RPGs with great story / 3) Love competitive online PvP

10/10 - so good!!
  32. Dec 28, 2011
    Out of the park they did hit, yes. This game is amazingly fun. If you like the way MMOs play and like Star Wars, it's really a no-brainer. Buy it and have fun!
  33. Dec 23, 2011
    This is KOTOR with multiplayer and at least ten times more content than ordinary KOTOR 3 might have had. Any KOTOR fan can only be impressed.;)
    I hope WoW fanboys and **** trolls will find better things to do than spamming this site and SWTOR with bad ratings and reviews.
  34. Dec 26, 2011
    So my previous review shows the score as 0, though when writing it, is shows 10. My primary review is a 10, since I can't edit or correct it, I will just addendum here.
  35. Oct 14, 2013
    Truly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part ofTruly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part of the genre) missions. Further, players are rewarded for interacting with other players and for exploration. Any problems are minor. The only true frustration is how difficult the optional datacrons can be to obtain. In earnest, this is the best MMO I've ever attempted. Expand
  36. Jan 12, 2012
    A highly enjoyable experience so far. Look forward so seeing what they'll add in future updates especially for guilds. The spaceship missions are rather fun mini-games too.
  37. Dec 23, 2011
    It's extremely funny to read reviews from people that bash the game to bits while they've been submitted on the day of release, which means they didn't even play it. Everyone played the beta and are basing their arguments on issues that were present there. Yes the game still has things that need to be fixed but by all means it's idiotic to bash something that doesn't even have a week inIt's extremely funny to read reviews from people that bash the game to bits while they've been submitted on the day of release, which means they didn't even play it. Everyone played the beta and are basing their arguments on issues that were present there. Yes the game still has things that need to be fixed but by all means it's idiotic to bash something that doesn't even have a week in existence.
    Arguments about PvP being unbalanced are a joke. Classes will get adjustments in the coming weeks as it's been said by the devs. It's logical for some things to be "wrong" since there are games (no i won't mention which) that run for over 5 years and are still incredibly unbalanced.
    All in all this game has massive potential. It looks very nice, the combat, in my opinion, is pretty fun and the story for each character is just plainly put, amazing. The planets are MASSIVE, apart from the two starting planets, which just get you into the story before getting started. To explore the whole of Tattoine or Alderaan you need at least a couple of hours. Quests are extremelly fun to do, as there are no "kill 20 of x" quests in the game. They do exist but ONLY appear as bonus quests in certain areas while you're doing your main quests and you can just skip them, as they disappear from your log when you leave.
    If you've been thinking of playing an MMO, i suggest you give it a try. It's an amazing journey to take. Haters will hate as they say. When someone types in their review that "It's like WoW in space" and grades it with a "2" or worse, it just shows how bad fanboys can hurt a good upcoming game. If it's as good as wow, then why do you slap it down..?
    It's far from perfect and that's why i give it an 8. But it's only the beginning and i'm having high hopes!
  38. Dec 20, 2011
    I've been playing MMO's for years now and I can easily say TOR is the best I have ever played; it's such a refreshing change to an increasingly stale genre, the story-lines for the individual classes offer very unique experiences to each other and the full voice over for all the quests is extremely satisfying. I found the PVP combat to be very balanced, no class was superior and theI've been playing MMO's for years now and I can easily say TOR is the best I have ever played; it's such a refreshing change to an increasingly stale genre, the story-lines for the individual classes offer very unique experiences to each other and the full voice over for all the quests is extremely satisfying. I found the PVP combat to be very balanced, no class was superior and the various PVP game modes are not only fun but more rewarding than other MMO's PVP content is, you can level up solely from grinding PVP if you want to. I knocked 1 off the score for 2 reasons; the first is the shocking space combat, which in my opinion could have been a browser based mini game as opposed to an advertised feature of the game, it's not that it isn't enjoyable it's just very very basic, the second is the sometimes dodgy animations, /cry is basically your character covering his face with his hands for instance. The crew aspect and owing your own ship reminded me a lot of Bioware's Mass Effect series, which of course isn't a negative point at all, I've played the game for nearing 100 hours now and I have no intention of stopping; this is one hell of a polished MMO that deserves every success it gets. Expand
  39. Dec 22, 2011
    I love literally everything about this game. Combat and story are engaging, the crafting system is brilliant, the art direction is top notch. This game does not reinvent the wheel, but it makes some damn solid improvements on the formula.
  40. Dec 22, 2011
    Haters gonna hate. This is great game. it plays the familiar territory with adding in enough new to keep your interest. Already level capped with 1 toon, working on another. The ones who complain about it being non-social, probably didn't have a guild or work with others, because it constantly is encouraging group activities, also there are world bosses and plenty of instances through outHaters gonna hate. This is great game. it plays the familiar territory with adding in enough new to keep your interest. Already level capped with 1 toon, working on another. The ones who complain about it being non-social, probably didn't have a guild or work with others, because it constantly is encouraging group activities, also there are world bosses and plenty of instances through out leveling. The big thing here thati loved, is there is a story. When I'm not running with guildies and I'm playing the game, i'm actually playing a game, not a random grindfest. The game works to give you the feeling that you are always working towards a greater goal, especially in the class specific quest lines. I love how I've actually read some people saying this is like a free to play grindfest. It is NOTHING like those games. Every game is going to have its 'I hate the game cause it's not what I play' style haters.

If you like MMO's, you like RPG's, you like your choices effecting things, great gameplay. This is a great place to be.
  41. Dec 23, 2011
    This is the first MMO that I've actually played for an extended amount of time, and I have to say I'm pretty amazed with it. There is such a vast universe that Bioware has created. And when you're done exploring this universe, there is a grossly enriching story to get involved in. There are plenty of quests that you can do as a group with other players. There are also quests you can doThis is the first MMO that I've actually played for an extended amount of time, and I have to say I'm pretty amazed with it. There is such a vast universe that Bioware has created. And when you're done exploring this universe, there is a grossly enriching story to get involved in. There are plenty of quests that you can do as a group with other players. There are also quests you can do by yourself so I think there is a great balance. Good job Bioware! Expand
  42. Jul 2, 2013
    Routinely underrated, one of the best F2P games, and one of the best Subscription Games on the market today. Awesome story telling, amazing presentation and a game that will grab you. Any score under 7 should be ignored. This one is a 9.5 game.
  43. Dec 21, 2011
    I've played many MMO's, like WoW, EQ2, Rift, SWG, and many others as well as Bioware's earlier games like KOTOR, DA and ME. One thing I've found in the MMO world is there's no innovation, it's always just more of the same. And that stagnation not only makes games your playing get boring faster, but makes new games in that genre just seem like more of the same.

Bioware has broken from the

Bioware has broken from the redundant norm, and has made something brilliant. They've made a MMO with incredible immersion, depth and the richest story lines of any game I've ever played. It's different & all gamers know trolls can't handle change. For some reason anything different then the same old daily grind creates such a case of nerd rage in trolls their emotions literally explode all over the internet's related forums, like many posts we have seen here.

If it's to different for you, don't play it. But don't make crap up and lie just to try and make other people hate what your incapable of understanding by creating dozens of accounts to spam your bile so you can pretend others think like you. Just have your say, and move on.
  44. Jan 4, 2012
    The best mmo ever and trust me i have tried out maaaany mmo:s. None of the other mmo:s felt in anyway like personal stories and i never gived a f*ck about the storylines in quests because i didnt bother to read them (yes im lazy) but in sw:tor all that is (imo) solved. Its exactly what i always wanted, a mix of SPRPG and MMORPG. So in my opinion its perfect. Imo most of the low scores areThe best mmo ever and trust me i have tried out maaaany mmo:s. None of the other mmo:s felt in anyway like personal stories and i never gived a f*ck about the storylines in quests because i didnt bother to read them (yes im lazy) but in sw:tor all that is (imo) solved. Its exactly what i always wanted, a mix of SPRPG and MMORPG. So in my opinion its perfect. Imo most of the low scores are given by people who are wow fans and just dismiss everything else as garbage Expand
  45. Dec 20, 2011
    The title is surprisingly good. It has a weird hybrid between single player RPG and MMO but it is not a bad thing. Recommend trying, but it's not my money so use at your own risk.
  46. Feb 7, 2012
    This game is great. The end. It manages to make you care about your character and actually think about how your character would respond to the situations. In the 3 class stories that I have played 1 has been good and 2 have been down right excellent. Not everything is perfect but it has just launched and it has launched in a better state then most MMOs have. The worlds do feel a littleThis game is great. The end. It manages to make you care about your character and actually think about how your character would respond to the situations. In the 3 class stories that I have played 1 has been good and 2 have been down right excellent. Not everything is perfect but it has just launched and it has launched in a better state then most MMOs have. The worlds do feel a little empty sometimes thanks to the instancing of popular areas but this also means their is virtually no spawn camping and you can complete your quest without competition. There are A LOT of whiners playing this game though, and that can be very irritating. People seem to be angry with Bioware anytime the tiniest thing isn't exactly like they want it. Bioware has done a good job of addressing issues with the game and it keeps getting better. Server Queues? Gone. Unfair world PvP? Fixed. Unbalanced classes in PvP (common you baby what game doesn't have some of this?) Learn to play your class. If I can do well in PvP and a pve specd Powertech, and you are having problems you're doing something wrong. If you are looking for a fully realized game go make a panda in WoW. If you want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes stick with SWTOR. Expand
  47. Dec 27, 2011
    I love it. Awesome story line, Fun game play. Great Audio. I feel this game advances the mmorpg genre and sets the new standard. I am interested to see what new content is added in the next few months.
  48. Dec 21, 2011
    I haven't seen end-game yet but from what I have played I'm in love. I have plenty of experience in MMO's as a Disabled Vet I have spent the better part of everyday of the last ten years in one universe or another online. You find any revolutionary gameplay but you also don't see cheap and broken gimmicks unproven in the world of MMO's which can be fun but as with Rift and Warhammer theyI haven't seen end-game yet but from what I have played I'm in love. I have plenty of experience in MMO's as a Disabled Vet I have spent the better part of everyday of the last ten years in one universe or another online. You find any revolutionary gameplay but you also don't see cheap and broken gimmicks unproven in the world of MMO's which can be fun but as with Rift and Warhammer they tend to fall on their face before long. TOR is the first of a huge list of MMO's in which I am looking forward to not just playing every class on both factions but every mastery of every class of both factions. If you enjoy MMO's but are tired of clicking through quest details and randomly running off looking for the highlighted or bullet portions of the objective with no motivation or information what so ever about the reason for your task than TOR will wake you up. Interesting stories unfold with each character that evolve through your leveling with a Mass Effect style dialogue system and excellent narrative performed with spectacular voice acting. Within each faction you still have the option to be "bad" or "good" with dark/light side points that offer unique rewards and character options through your story. Not only is there a story but there is a Universe. Each area dominated leads you off to a new planet and you travel in your own starship with your own entourage who level with you and who's gear customization identical to your own which you can buy, craft or earn through mission rewards. They actually handle all of your crafting and gathering skills should you want to forgo the plethora of nodes you pass on your travels. There are space battles that are a ton of fun and reminiscent of Black Prophecy on rails with rewards in XP for your character and ship upgrades as your ship, like your own gear and that of your followers is just as varied. A Universe opens up right in front of you begging to be explored and each planet offers new landscapes and enemies with large base complexes and hidden artifacts that add attributes to your characters. Along the way or from a central space station all the basics are found; bank, crafting instructors, skill trainers, vendors, quest stations and PvP mission stations. There are also instanced mission areas for groups of 4 all over the place that are heavily scripted stories where everyone participates in the conversations. They are miniature movies played with friends that offer high quality rewards, what else on earth could I possibly ask for now? Nothing, for my appetite is sated at least for a few years to come. There are problems and areas that could use improvement for a jumping off point this MMO has more to offer on day one than many that have been in play for years. Think of what could come from this template which already has so much to offer and you truly begin to see what an awesome MMO we have with TOR. Naysayers beware, the future only holds more for TOR. Expand
  49. Jun 11, 2012
    This game is the biggest MMO of all time. You gotta admit that. We've waited such a long time and thank to god they made a brilliant game. They're making updates-versions to keep game fresh every time. So what are you waiting for ? :D
  50. Dec 22, 2011
    This is a great game. It feel like the old KOTOR xbox games with some MMO elements thrown in. I've played Rift and WoW. a lot off people are bashing this game needlessly because they've built this huge character and "l33t" skills in WoW and are mad about their guildmates quitting to go play this game instead. Forget the haters. If you liked the old KOTOR single player games, you willThis is a great game. It feel like the old KOTOR xbox games with some MMO elements thrown in. I've played Rift and WoW. a lot off people are bashing this game needlessly because they've built this huge character and "l33t" skills in WoW and are mad about their guildmates quitting to go play this game instead. Forget the haters. If you liked the old KOTOR single player games, you will likely like this game. On a good system, the games LOOKS GREAT. Playing WoW after playing this is like taking a step back in time. Of course, that's assuming you have a decent pc. Expand
  51. Dec 20, 2011
    A solid themepark MMO with that special Bioware storytelling added in. ToR is a ton of fun. ToR also offers some of the most rewarding MMO questing to date. Each class receives complex class-specific story lines. Most quests reward moral choices with light-side/dark-side points. This is very nice additional element to an MMO.
  52. Dec 20, 2011
    The Troll is strong with this one... people appear to be rating 0-3 on the DAY OF RELEASE. Anyone who has played an MMO knows that it is impossible to glean insight to the game's worth in a single day. Even those (myself included) with early game access experience have not reached level cap and have not had nearly enough time to explore even a fraction of the whole experience. All of thatThe Troll is strong with this one... people appear to be rating 0-3 on the DAY OF RELEASE. Anyone who has played an MMO knows that it is impossible to glean insight to the game's worth in a single day. Even those (myself included) with early game access experience have not reached level cap and have not had nearly enough time to explore even a fraction of the whole experience. All of that said, I'm casting my vote just to even out the trolls. I'll come back and adjust my rating as I gain more experience with the title, but know this much; I am extremely satisfied thus far. My wife and I had a blast going through the starter zone together and I've been extremely amused solo'ing as I explore each of the classes. Graphics are superb, though you'll want to force AA on [Google it - it's not terribly difficult] and I like playing without shadows. The voice acting is top notch, and the music is wonderfully nostalgic. Gameplay, so far, is as to be expected from an MMO title; I have no outstanding remarks to make therein. Expand
  53. Jan 8, 2012
    Peoples are expecting to get 'WoW' from this game, and that is why they fail. This game is huge and lots of different headlines in the content, so it is very usual there will be bugs... Stop comparing years old games with this little baby 2 weeks old. I like the game although I hate bEAware!
  54. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is amazing! The best MMO out there, period. If you love star wars you will love this game. I've had so much fun with the story, companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on...

There is not much negative about this game.. I can't wait for future updates and expansion :)

May the force be with you!
  55. Dec 22, 2011
    Amazing game, started MMO's back in the day of Everquest and have yet had the feeling of "magic" like this game has created.

Story- No MMO in HISTORY has ever made you feel like a true hero like SWTOR will. Excellent questing. Combat- WTFBBQ I acutally saw my guy parry an attack?! Combat animation TOP notch for an MMO. Classes- You will not find a better mix of classes for creative,

Classes- You will not find a better mix of classes for creative, not your typical roles that we have used for the past 15 years
    Zones- Very lifelike, cities that are well..... very large like cities. Tatooine, Corescant, Nar Shadaa, gorgeous and large.
    Companions/Crafting- Best system in the world especially for those dads like me who dont want to take precious gaming time to sit infront of a forge, your companion crafts for you as well as gather materials.
    Size- This game is the largest MMO I have ever encountered in sheer SIZE, planets are very large and beautiful.

People who say the graphics are terrible know nothing about graphics, the amount of polygons in each character is amazing, lighting, the amount of color put into objects very very impressive, this game will look great 5 years from now because of its style.

If you are thinking about getting this game it is a MUST have.
  56. Mar 30, 2012
    I think a lot of reluctant WoW players are bashing this game. It's a great game. It has very good graphics, interesting story lines, tons of possibilities, the new legacy patch is a superb new idea, cool starfighter missions where you control a spacecraft turret... I can't think of everything atm because I'm sleepy, but this game is definitely a fun game, and there's plenty more coolI think a lot of reluctant WoW players are bashing this game. It's a great game. It has very good graphics, interesting story lines, tons of possibilities, the new legacy patch is a superb new idea, cool starfighter missions where you control a spacecraft turret... I can't think of everything atm because I'm sleepy, but this game is definitely a fun game, and there's plenty more cool content to come. Get a 7 day free trial from a friend, or land one of the free 4 day weekend passes on the website. If you like mmo's, you will most likely like The Old Republic. Expand
  57. Dec 20, 2011
    Star Wars: The Old Republic has hit all the nice touches. They've taken what has worked and made it better. The questing system? Yeah, it worked, but now your choices matter and you have fully immersive voice overs with amazing animations. The combat? Yeah, tab-targetting works. But now we have dynamic combat with amazing skill and strategy to master. The graphics? Yeah, they're not likeStar Wars: The Old Republic has hit all the nice touches. They've taken what has worked and made it better. The questing system? Yeah, it worked, but now your choices matter and you have fully immersive voice overs with amazing animations. The combat? Yeah, tab-targetting works. But now we have dynamic combat with amazing skill and strategy to master. The graphics? Yeah, they're not like Aion's but they are absolutely amazing. Many are downrating this game for silly reasons, but it's not due to the instancing. The instancing is very little and may I add, YOU CAN ALLOW OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR INSTANCES. YOU CAN SKIP THE MOVIES IF YOU WANT TO. Definitely a great game. Expand
  58. Dec 20, 2011
    Easily the best Themepark MMO on the market today, all the familiar trappings gamers have come to expect from the themepark model, plus a new take on questing and the biggest addition to the genre to date: STORY. Highly polished gameplay with the trademark BioWare cinematic storytelling is a match made in heaven. Excellent game would (and have) recommend to everyone who likes MMO'sEasily the best Themepark MMO on the market today, all the familiar trappings gamers have come to expect from the themepark model, plus a new take on questing and the biggest addition to the genre to date: STORY. Highly polished gameplay with the trademark BioWare cinematic storytelling is a match made in heaven. Excellent game would (and have) recommend to everyone who likes MMO's (themepark), Star Wars, and BioWare. Expand
  59. Dec 22, 2011
    Finally, a game that delivers the Star Wars experience gamers like myself have been waiting years for. Give it a couple months for patching and such, it'll be legit.
  60. Dec 22, 2011
    If you read a really low review here, they are a WoW fanboy trying to discourage people from picking up the game. The ones I've seen are complaining about extremely trivial things because they obviously feel threatened. The fact of the matter is tat this game is a very fun game, and you should try it yourself before listening to the "brilliant" people trying to attack the game.
  61. Dec 20, 2011
    Star Wars the old Republic is a good MMORPG experience focused on storytelling, plot and involving characters, Through the use of unprecedented amounts of voice-acting and in-game cut-scenes the player is immersed in the game to degree not found in other MMO-type games. Often when playing I found that I cared more about advancing the plot than the rewards or XP I gained from them, a hugeStar Wars the old Republic is a good MMORPG experience focused on storytelling, plot and involving characters, Through the use of unprecedented amounts of voice-acting and in-game cut-scenes the player is immersed in the game to degree not found in other MMO-type games. Often when playing I found that I cared more about advancing the plot than the rewards or XP I gained from them, a huge improvement over old-style MMO's, where quests and grinding were just the means to reach endgame and left little to no impression on the player. At launch SWTOR is a solid game with some deficiencies in UI customization, hopefully future patches will remedy this. Expand
  62. Dec 21, 2011
    This is just unbelievable...the same people are bombarding this game with 0's over and over again. This needs to stop. It has happened with every big named game to come out and enough is enough. You are all a bunch of no life trolls. God PC Gamers are the whiniest group of people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
  63. Jan 2, 2012
    All of the 1-3 scores are completely ridiculous, it's not a perfect game but no MMO is especially at launch. The fact is, this game has a vast amount of content on launch day which is far better than most people can claim.
  64. Dec 27, 2011
    So far I've been loving this game! Great MMO! Not sure why so many people are saying it feels like a single player RPG. It doesn't. Not everything is instanced like a bunch of these people are saying. It is definitely NOT a lobby game. First MMO I have ever played where I'm actually enjoying the story and not just grinding to max level. Didn't want to get this game at first but a friendSo far I've been loving this game! Great MMO! Not sure why so many people are saying it feels like a single player RPG. It doesn't. Not everything is instanced like a bunch of these people are saying. It is definitely NOT a lobby game. First MMO I have ever played where I'm actually enjoying the story and not just grinding to max level. Didn't want to get this game at first but a friend talked me into it, and I'm damn glad he did. Expand
  65. Dec 20, 2011
    SWToR is an absolutely phenomenal MMORPG and does exactly what BioWare set out to do: add the pillar of story to MMO gaming. The voice acting is fantastic (even better given the scale that it's been done on), the story is interesting and engaging, the game aesthetic is great (if you're looking for a realistic graphical style you will be disappointed, but if you're an experienced MMO-erSWToR is an absolutely phenomenal MMORPG and does exactly what BioWare set out to do: add the pillar of story to MMO gaming. The voice acting is fantastic (even better given the scale that it's been done on), the story is interesting and engaging, the game aesthetic is great (if you're looking for a realistic graphical style you will be disappointed, but if you're an experienced MMO-er you'll understand the issues that realism brings to the table), combat is significantly more fast-paced than any MMO in the past (and is incredibly fun), I could go on. It is obvious BioWare took several notes from Blizzard on this one, but I think to have ignored WoW completely would have been a fatal mistake. It's okay to admit one game did something right and to try and improve on it, which is exactly what BioWare has done with this. Although on the surface many things may seem like a WoW clone, the similarities don't tend to extend beyond them both being in the same genre (MMORPG). TLDR: I highly recommend this game for anyone who is still interested in the genre of MMORPG, as the game is absolutely fantastic on just about every level; however, if you're looking for something completely different (or if you don't like BioWare games), you should pass this up. Expand
  66. Jan 7, 2012
    I've been playing this game since early access now, it's just amazing. I've not had chance to get into the end-game areas yet because each class is so unique it's hard to decide. But now i'm playing an Imperial Sniper, from what I've seen this game is incredibly balanced and the story telling of this is out of the world. However, as it's pretty new there are still a few things that haveI've been playing this game since early access now, it's just amazing. I've not had chance to get into the end-game areas yet because each class is so unique it's hard to decide. But now i'm playing an Imperial Sniper, from what I've seen this game is incredibly balanced and the story telling of this is out of the world. However, as it's pretty new there are still a few things that have not been implanted yet such as Macros and Chat Bubbles, but I believe they will be diving into the SWTOR universe pretty soon. I've read other reviews on this, and anyone who is giving below a 7 is just a troll and a WoW Fanboy. Many having been saying this is a WoW clone, but no, this game is completely unique to all MMOs. The PvP requires a lot more skill than many other MMOs and in situations can really test your abilitys. Also, this MMO is actually a challenge, you must work for your luxury's. Be that gear, mounts, pets, lore or even ship upgrades, you will feel rewarded whatever you earn. But all in all this is new the the MMO family and should be given a chance and I highly recommend that you try it, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  67. Dec 20, 2011
    Trolling aside, this is the NEXT BIG MMO, and is a good game. Ignore all the negative reviews who are scared their MMO of choice is going to be a wasteland in the next few months due to people jumping on the SWTOR bandwagon
  68. Dec 22, 2011
    This is a great game. I'm not up rating it to counterbalance the propaganda machine, it really is worth 10/10 to me. Definitely shows that they spent the 150+ million in making this game. That said, its a very long game and you should tread cautiously when deciding if you want to play this game. If you want to be the best in this game your going to have to put in a lot of hours before youThis is a great game. I'm not up rating it to counterbalance the propaganda machine, it really is worth 10/10 to me. Definitely shows that they spent the 150+ million in making this game. That said, its a very long game and you should tread cautiously when deciding if you want to play this game. If you want to be the best in this game your going to have to put in a lot of hours before you can even think about competing with the lifers. They will literally stop at nothing to beat you, including dropping out of school and playing 18 hours a day. Thankfully the game doesn't feel like a grind and you can enjoy the "trip" to max level as much as if you were playing DA:O or ME. Expand
  69. Dec 20, 2011
    Fantastic Game! A must Purchase! Worth every cent! The Graphics are fantastic for what they're trying to do with them, which is appeal to a wider audience of people including those with lesser machines. The storylines are amazing, and the quality is fantastic. My only complaint is horrible customer service, but that's expected with a new game like this, with the millions of peopleFantastic Game! A must Purchase! Worth every cent! The Graphics are fantastic for what they're trying to do with them, which is appeal to a wider audience of people including those with lesser machines. The storylines are amazing, and the quality is fantastic. My only complaint is horrible customer service, but that's expected with a new game like this, with the millions of people playing at launch! Expand
  70. Dec 24, 2011
    The game is absolutely exactly what I expected, excelled expectations. The mostly negative reviews I have been reading is the reason why WoW ended up sucking after a few years of whiny players wanting easy buttons. The graphics are nice and pvp is still in the making. I find it challenging and what I wanted instead of some pimple faced kid complaining on the forums and the devleopersThe game is absolutely exactly what I expected, excelled expectations. The mostly negative reviews I have been reading is the reason why WoW ended up sucking after a few years of whiny players wanting easy buttons. The graphics are nice and pvp is still in the making. I find it challenging and what I wanted instead of some pimple faced kid complaining on the forums and the devleopers caving in is not yet done, and hopefully never will be. This has much room to expand and my guild and I just quite WoW a while again and found this breath of fresh air. To the idiots saying this is a sorry attempt at a dumbed down wow clone, please go back to playing with blizzards genitals as WoW is a completely retarded dumbed down version of Everquest.... Ohh no! over easy dumb raids and gladiator is soo hard! Merc Glad btw. Character creation is simple. Gameplay is great, but with updates it only can get better. Unlike wow in which caved into morons. Expand
  71. Jan 6, 2012
    Awesome MMO, one of the best yet! This game is nothing like wow, duh. Yet it does have mmo features like all of them, which would be ignorant if it didn't because it would not be a mmo then. For a game to be this good after just launching, new content and expansions is something to be really excited about.
  72. Dec 20, 2011
    I am 22 lvl and didn`t skip any quests at all, I have to do them becouse voice acting, world design, combat animation, story telling made this expieriens much more interestning. There is bugs here and there, but after all I will think twice before buying a copy of GW2. Think I became a Star Wars fan. Haters are gonna hate.
  73. Dec 22, 2011
    Best themepark mmorpg ever released. If you don't like the genre do no buy it, it's really that simple.

It's like complaining that fps is about shooting things.

It makes you look like a retard.
  74. Dec 22, 2011
    Very well made. You can tell a lot of hard work went into this game. Loving it so far. The storyline is amazing. environments and space combat are awesome. Love the 4 man grouping options its not so hectic being a healer now. Over all loving the game so far.
  75. Dec 20, 2011
    One of the best MMO's to date, Bioware has put a lot of work passion into this title, and it shows. With fully voiced over NPC's and quest lines that takes a page from Mass Effect. With exciting PVP end combat and unique story-lines for each class. The true WoW killer has arrived!
  76. Jan 23, 2012
    I find this game to be very enjoyable. Its not comparable to WoW at all. Yes it has some features from WoW. But the story telling in this game is incredible. The voice acting is top notch. Space Combat is great and simple. They have instanced zones in certain areas but it does not take you away from the rest of the world. You can still see people questing and what not and flying around on taxis.
  77. Dec 20, 2011
    Great game! Huge rush of fresh air for us long term MMO players. Do not be dissuaded by the WOW/Blizzard fanboys who have been driven into a life of stale complacency. SWTOR has had the best launch of any MMORPG I have ever tried. I have experienced few bugs and barely any lag for the 7 days I have played so far. I see only good things to come from here on out.
  78. Dec 20, 2011
    I can only base a review on my own experience, to all those having issues I can understand the low scores and frustration but I haven't had any issues, quite the opposite.

I am loving this game, I am almost a level 30 Jedi guardian and can't believe how good the story is, I can confidently say this is the first MMO where I haven't skipped the text to just get to objective, it makes you care about the characters, story and goal's and that's something this genre has been lacking. The gameplay's not going to set the world on fire but there's nothing wrong with it, it works. MMO's are constantly evolving and I'm sure the balancing and general issue's will be worked out quick enough but my Jedi Guardian is fun to control, I never find myself just hitting something with a lightsaber until its dead, (After the first few starter worlds) It get's challenging and I find myself having to use cooldown's, shields and the force to defeat enemies.

Crafting in this game is a strong selling point, it's got a lottery feeling about it, there's the chance of getting a "Rare" that you can actually use and make's crafting like spinning a roulette wheel.

All in all ill be subscribing and hope enough other people do to keep this game going.
  79. Dec 22, 2011
    Ignore the low ratings, this deserves nothing less than a 7 or 8 out of 10. I am having an absolute blast! Even if people call it a WoW clone with lightsabers, what is wrong with that? I see that as a compliment. The story is the best of any MMO I have played, the light/dark decisions actually fun to make, companions add an extra social element, the graphics excellent for an MMO, and theIgnore the low ratings, this deserves nothing less than a 7 or 8 out of 10. I am having an absolute blast! Even if people call it a WoW clone with lightsabers, what is wrong with that? I see that as a compliment. The story is the best of any MMO I have played, the light/dark decisions actually fun to make, companions add an extra social element, the graphics excellent for an MMO, and the flashpoints positively exciting! This is by far the best MMO out there, play this now, you won't be disappointed! Expand
  80. Dec 21, 2011
    I was an avid WoW player for years, but I would leave WoW for this game even if I hadn't already cancelled my subscription. The storylines are better than some single player games I've picked up, and the group mechanics work well. the lack of a standard lfg system outside of trade chat is a tad annoying, but it only encourages the player to get out into the world and meet people within theI was an avid WoW player for years, but I would leave WoW for this game even if I hadn't already cancelled my subscription. The storylines are better than some single player games I've picked up, and the group mechanics work well. the lack of a standard lfg system outside of trade chat is a tad annoying, but it only encourages the player to get out into the world and meet people within the game. I've played the classes on both sides, and they really are unique, though parallels can definitely be drawn (agent-smuggler, trooper-bounty hunter, sith-jedi) they're diminished by the stellar storylines for each class and the highly customizable AC's. Play this game. It's fun, trust me. Expand
  81. Jan 5, 2012
    I have been playing the game since Dec 20th release date. I can say in all honesty I have been having a great time with it. I was nervous about spending the 60 dollars to try it out initally, but I am glad I did now. I have some friends on the same server aswell, and we group up to do Heroic quests and flashpoints. To make things clear about instanced areas, the game does have some, butI have been playing the game since Dec 20th release date. I can say in all honesty I have been having a great time with it. I was nervous about spending the 60 dollars to try it out initally, but I am glad I did now. I have some friends on the same server aswell, and we group up to do Heroic quests and flashpoints. To make things clear about instanced areas, the game does have some, but most of the game is open world like Rift or Wow. The instanced areas are mainly character specific quests, some heroic quests, and flashpoints. After playing Wow, Rift, and a couple FTP mmo's, I am like this one the most. Been a great time. Some complaints would be the Auction house interface needs some work, and many crafting nodes seem to be broke. But after playing the game for 80+ hours, I ran into no critical game breaking bugs, just some minor stuff here and there. Pretty good for a brand new MMO. Expand
  82. Dec 20, 2011
    This is one of the best MMO out there. Yes it does need work but people are comparing this to wow. This is not wow. This is bioware... They have awesome cutscene. and game play is unbelievable detail. I've been both in beta and now enjoying the finished product. I see a lot of people rating this game low... Aka most are wow players or elistest. Starwars the old republic and otherThis is one of the best MMO out there. Yes it does need work but people are comparing this to wow. This is not wow. This is bioware... They have awesome cutscene. and game play is unbelievable detail. I've been both in beta and now enjoying the finished product. I see a lot of people rating this game low... Aka most are wow players or elistest. Starwars the old republic and other starwars game are all about the community and fan base. Bioware is a developer who has reached the high level. Yes every company has there flaws but I'm giving this game a 10. Expand
  83. Dec 20, 2011
    I came on Metacritic today expecting that this game would have insanely positive user reviews, however was left disappointed at the amount of hate being thrown around and a shoddy 5.2 User Score. For convenience, I am going to cut right to the chase. Yes, the gameplay is very similar to World of Warcraft, but that is not a bad thing, especially for people who are new to MMOs. Here is why;I came on Metacritic today expecting that this game would have insanely positive user reviews, however was left disappointed at the amount of hate being thrown around and a shoddy 5.2 User Score. For convenience, I am going to cut right to the chase. Yes, the gameplay is very similar to World of Warcraft, but that is not a bad thing, especially for people who are new to MMOs. Here is why; it is very smooth, easy to adapt to and hits the standard that is expected of MMOs. WoW achieves this, and ToR does as well. Features are expanded on with Companion characters, and new mini-games are included (AKA, Space Battles while piloting your very own starfighter). Where the two games differ substantially is in their methods of conveying story. The Old Republic is completely and superbly voiced over, in true Mass Effect fashion. Do not let people fool you into thinking that this is an insignificant feature, because it isn't. It makes the game tenfold more interesting and engaging. Although the missions are your usual run of the mill "collect three of these" or "kill four of those", it feels like much less of a grind because you are given purpose for doing what you are doing in a way that is engaging (because of the voice acting and decision making features). Bioware have miraculously designed the game to make you feel like you are the focus of it. Your choices carry weight, you grow somewhat connected to your companions and you always feel like you are achieving something. Instead of finding myself completing missions in order to level up (as I have done with every single other MMO to date), I am completing them to see what happens next, as the writing is of a quality you would expect in Mass Effect or Knights Of The Old Republic and always manages to keep you curious. This game is superb in every aspect. Don't let yourself be put off by all of these unjustified negative review scores. This game is definitely not anything less than an 8 out of 10, and in my opinion it hits top scores. Star Wars fans, Bioware fans and MMO fans alike all have plenty of reason to love this game, and very little to hate it. Expand
  84. Jan 3, 2012
    This game is about an 8, but I'm giving it a ten considering the only scores on metacritic are 1/2 and 9/10. That being said, yes this game is very much a wow clone, and if you went into ToR expecting anything else then shame on you, because there has been more than enough in-game footage, beta weekends, and feedback when the NDA was dropped. This is a bad thing for those who hate wow,This game is about an 8, but I'm giving it a ten considering the only scores on metacritic are 1/2 and 9/10. That being said, yes this game is very much a wow clone, and if you went into ToR expecting anything else then shame on you, because there has been more than enough in-game footage, beta weekends, and feedback when the NDA was dropped. This is a bad thing for those who hate wow, but if you're like me and played wow a lot, especially in the first 3-4 years, well then you will feel right at home. It also follows the holy trinity of needing a tank, dps, and healers for taking on group content. The character creation is meh, they definitely need to get some less than humanoid races on there to mix it up a bit. The combat is cool, and even though the animations aren't as fluid as a fighting or adventure game, they're not nearly as bad as what many other people on MC are saying, and I give kudos to Bioware for attempting to make combat a bit more cinematic. The planets are all very well done, some are much bigger than others, but each one has a distinct feel, my only gripe is that BW seems to have split each planet up into sides, one for the imps and the other for the pubs so there was very little interaction as I leveled. Expand
  85. Dec 22, 2011
    I'm not sure why's ther is so many bad reviews from users. This game is sick, totally bad ass. And i think it lives up to the hype. I read some people's reviews and they were **** about it feeling like wow and yes it does but what is wrong with feeling like the most popular game on the planet i think it was a very smart move for bioware. this game is simply awsome !
  86. Dec 24, 2011
    The best MMO since Ultima Online.
    I have not enjoyed many mmo's over the years but I keep hoping that one can bring as much fun as I had with Ultima Online back in the day. Tried so many and none felt fun enough to play more then a few months.
    The best MMO since Ultima Online.

The Old Republic does so much right that the few mishaps (Graphics could be better and more custimization in character creation would be nice) barely matter at all. The story is fantastic (an mmo with a great story? You serious?), the characters are interesting, the voice acting is some of the best ever, the atmosphere is great, the sound is well done and its got a very high fun factor.

After Bioware made Dragon Age2 I was worried we might not get another great game from them again, but then comes an amazing game in the Old Republic and pushes Bioware back in the right direction.

There is so much to this game its crazy, weither you want to play it singleplayer or with friends, its well worth it, don't miss out on this amazing game.

Even if you are not a mmo fan you have to give this game a go, any rpg fan should play this wonderful, breathtaking game that has brought some much needed life to a genre that has become very boring lately.

Thank you for an amazing game Bioware!
  87. Dec 20, 2011
    Everyone knew what this game was gonna be like and now that it's released and not what they like, people act shocked and try and give it a bad name. It's a great game and only going to get better.

Also i read a guy who gave a zero saying it's a WOW clone and how Star Wars Galaxies didnt copy wow, which proves people dont know what they are talking about seeing as Star Wars Galaxies came out before WOW. But honestly great game worth playing.
  88. Jan 13, 2012
    A brilliant revolution of the MMO genre. With its story it manages to captivate me where WoW made me fall asleep! Buy buy buy. Don't listen to all the WoW fanboys giving it a 0 without playing it.
  89. Dec 27, 2011
    I've been a WoW player for three years , and let me tell you this game is nothing like WoW! Yes, They might have implemented similar elements and game style that originated from WoW but only because they know 95% of the MMO population is on WoW, for me that's a plus cause once I started playing I got adjusted to the game pretty quickly.The rest MMO's that the bad reviews refer to as "I've been a WoW player for three years , and let me tell you this game is nothing like WoW! Yes, They might have implemented similar elements and game style that originated from WoW but only because they know 95% of the MMO population is on WoW, for me that's a plus cause once I started playing I got adjusted to the game pretty quickly.The rest MMO's that the bad reviews refer to as " innovative , different" in comparison to this game are not that great,"different" and " innovative" doesn't mean you will like it and so it has been proven cause nobody really plays guild wars , AION , lineage..Bioware has played smart.So far I'm a level 12 Sith warrior and I'm loving it, really enjoying the game overall and it certainly doesn't deserve a low rating,any user reviewing this game below a 6 is really out their minds .At this moment I'm playing the game on low graphics because my PC is garbage and it still looks amazing , for those who complain about the graphics being should consider updating their video card.really. Expand
  90. Oct 13, 2012
    This game has easily the best levelling experience in any mmo I've ever played. Maybe, for people with 12 hours a day to play, they'll grow bored once they blast through. But, for someone with a job who plays one or two hours a day, I'm nowhere close to running out of content, and am never bored as the story I love in regular RPGs is in this game rather than constantly killing 12 boars forThis game has easily the best levelling experience in any mmo I've ever played. Maybe, for people with 12 hours a day to play, they'll grow bored once they blast through. But, for someone with a job who plays one or two hours a day, I'm nowhere close to running out of content, and am never bored as the story I love in regular RPGs is in this game rather than constantly killing 12 boars for some jerk I'll never meet again. Perhaps a bit linear- in fairness most RPGs are linear, and stories tend to be linear.

If you like having a huge world where you can just do anything (like kill 12 boars in a snowy place, or in a forest, or in the sea for some reason) you'll love GW2 instead which is free roaming mediocrity. I expected this game to be a mostly single player story with the option to multi play- and got exactly what I wanted.
  91. May 15, 2012
    SWTOR simply came a few years too late. TOR is an excellent game that missed out on the golden age of MMOs. Leveling process was never tedious and PVP warzones offer a viable alternative to traditional grinding. I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but the voice acting, graphics, storyline are stellar. In a time where money grabs(Diablo III, Mass Effect III) dominate the game industry, SWTOR isSWTOR simply came a few years too late. TOR is an excellent game that missed out on the golden age of MMOs. Leveling process was never tedious and PVP warzones offer a viable alternative to traditional grinding. I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but the voice acting, graphics, storyline are stellar. In a time where money grabs(Diablo III, Mass Effect III) dominate the game industry, SWTOR is an excellent gaming value. Not perfect, but it's likely we'll never see another game of such extreme quality. I give SWTOR a 9.2, and round it up to a 10. Expand
  92. Dec 20, 2011
    I participated in a couple beta test weekends and the early access; fortunately I have had no issues with queues or lag or anything whatsoever except your occasional bug. Its launch day and all I see on the forums are aggressive comments and hateful reviews; which I say are horribly exaggerated. Compared to other MMO's launched SWTOR has been a smoother experience. I enjoy the gameplay andI participated in a couple beta test weekends and the early access; fortunately I have had no issues with queues or lag or anything whatsoever except your occasional bug. Its launch day and all I see on the forums are aggressive comments and hateful reviews; which I say are horribly exaggerated. Compared to other MMO's launched SWTOR has been a smoother experience. I enjoy the gameplay and I have always loved the Star Wars franchise. Bioware's take on the Star Wars universe has brought renewed life to the franchise and if we are all patient and 'real' fans the game will get better. I rate the game at 10 to oppose the low scores that I see here and other sites cause those are biased opinions made out of the spirit of the moment. I like the story, I like the dialogues, I like the operations& flashpoints,space combat is not that thrilling but maybe they will change that, pvp and Huttball, loads of content ( what else do you want from an MMO if you dont like the franchise then play something else dont **** about it after only playing a couple hours....). I will be playing for the months to follow to be sure even just to play every character to see the story to the end. Go Bioware and Lucasarts! and yes I also love Blizzard but it doesnt mean we cant share the LUV! Expand
  93. Dec 20, 2011
    I made this account for the sole purpose of reviewing this game. It is such an amazing product by bioware, who have a near flawless track record (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). Many people expect this to be just like WoW, but it is not. There are so many things right with this game, it's unbelievable. First, the biggest thing about this game is the way it immerses you, unlike manyI made this account for the sole purpose of reviewing this game. It is such an amazing product by bioware, who have a near flawless track record (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). Many people expect this to be just like WoW, but it is not. There are so many things right with this game, it's unbelievable. First, the biggest thing about this game is the way it immerses you, unlike many other MMOs. Because of the - you guessed it - voice acting, it feels like you are playing a single player game, but with friends. The people who are giving this game poor reviews most likely are the ones that hate change. Trust me, this is a game not to be missed. Expand
  94. Dec 20, 2011
    This game does not deserve 0 or 1, think it's a great game with a good story with different perspectives, solid gameplay even though it is very similar to wow, i have been 3 different classes and have enjoyed them all. The endgame is obviously lacking a bit as any new mmo usually is and defenetly will need some work but overall I believe it's a solid start. I also do not mind theThis game does not deserve 0 or 1, think it's a great game with a good story with different perspectives, solid gameplay even though it is very similar to wow, i have been 3 different classes and have enjoyed them all. The endgame is obviously lacking a bit as any new mmo usually is and defenetly will need some work but overall I believe it's a solid start. I also do not mind the environments, never enjoyed walking a million miles in wow to grab a stupid quest item. I am going to give this a ten to even out all the haters unfair 1"s and 0"s Expand
  95. Dec 22, 2011
    Bioware has set a new standart.
    In my humble opinion BioWare managed as the first company to create a real mmoRPG.
    Bioware has set a new standart.
    The story telling elements inside are so huge and well done, that you realy feel like being in the world of StarWars in the age of Kotor. You don't feel like being dragged and led through quest hubs to level, you don't feel the "burdon" of leveling itself, it just flows through naturaly due to the great storyline, individualy designed by your choices (light side/dark side, class, good/bad decisions). This system leads to an interesting character development besides getting new skills and skillpoints to better your skills.

Furthermore BioWare managed with their last Beta-Weekend and the long headstart to create the smoothest MMO-Start ever seen. You have some queues, but thats better than having empty servers and being forced to merge pretty soon - besides that the game runs pretty fluent and there are no big "nono-issues" included in the final version. Staying at the technical side i realy enjoy the graphic engine - not it's not state of the art, it's the heroes engine, but thats a good choice. This engine is well developed and reached a certain quality level you need to ensure a bug free running mmo. if you have a look at games like Age of Conan, creating a new engine, and new problems you realy realy look forward to have a solid gameplay and graphic engine with relativly low requirements. Furthermore the engine suits perfectly the kotor scenario, like the slight anime characteristic suits the TV-Series (CloneWars) and the Kotor gaming series as well. It feels like it was totaly the right choice.
    One negative aspect of that engine is the current ui and the character creation. But both issues are on the priority list quiet important for BioWare and we can expect better options there in the next big patches.

Another great idea is the companion system, having the chance like in Kotor to learn the stories of up to 5 companions (per class) and being able to interact with them offers even more possibilites to go deeper into the storytelling, furthermore they act as your pets being realy tremendously helpful during your fights and leveling process.
    A matter of taste is the companion related crafting system. I personaly like it - the hardcore crafter will dislike it, but you will send your companions for crafting missions. You let them craft, "waste" their time and be able to continue with the things your are currently doing while improving your process. I realy appreciate it, but as I said not everybody will.

PvP:
    PvP has a new aspect for the MMO-sector. It has (not on the open pvp planet ilum) a level equaliser. It buffs your HP and your skills to the highest level. So it is theoreticaly possible to fight lvl 10 vs. lvl 50. Theoreticaly because as a lvl 10 you are laking some skills and may be equipment, but you have a realistic chance to compete to a certain point. The good thing about it is that it is easier to play with your mates no matter what level they are and there will be pvp games going on during the level period, because the field of possible competetors is way wider than in usual mmos.
    The maps are pretty much known as Domination and Assault/Defence. What's new is the Hutt Ball. A quiet funny pvp map where you are able to play with the enemy faction as well. It's just a fun map, but it's well done... i won't write so much about it cause there are alot of videos out there.
    The PvP itself feels smooth. On the one hand the tanks and healers are not as useless/boring as they are often in other pvp systems, cause for example the tank can use his taunt to reduce damage in pvp and the fighting time seems to be quiet good. It's not that you have to fight through epic fights all the time.. it's not taking hours to one-on-one, but on the otherhand there is no one-hitting-slaughter-class in the game.

Coming to the PVE aspect like flashpoints. I don't know how well done the raids are yet (I am lvl 40), but the flashpoints for groups are cool though. Some of them are again realy story driven and your decisions make an impact on how the dungeon is going on, some of them are straight forward pve flashpoints. Nearly all the bosses have abilites you have to take care of, so if you are not way overleveled there is no real tanks and spank for the most situations.

For the last point before the conclusion I will cover the world design.
    The ones who know StarWars will realy enjoy the world they will be dropped in. The detail and the fauna is amazingly well done... again they have gotten the maximum out of the engine to get the right atmosphere to the game.

As a conclusion I would highly recommend you to at least try the game. As a StarWars fan you will be amazed, but even as a casual MMO-Player you will have fun and enjoy. Give it a shot and don't be afraid, because of some people having to "flame" and "down-rank" the game so hard.
  96. Dec 20, 2011
    Just fantastic. Don't buy into the hate, enjoy this game for what is it ... one of the most enjoyable bieoware games yet. It wins on just about every level with great quests, fantastic PVP, and huge production values
  97. Dec 20, 2011
    I signed up for Metacritic as I felt the need for a more indepth analysis of the game, after seeing some of the user "reviews" already out there I would describe SWTOR as a Story Driven MMORPG and it has a lot going for it. As has been mentioned, all quest givers, main characters and even your own character are voice acted, and it a high standard as well. Accepting quests usuallyI signed up for Metacritic as I felt the need for a more indepth analysis of the game, after seeing some of the user "reviews" already out there I would describe SWTOR as a Story Driven MMORPG and it has a lot going for it. As has been mentioned, all quest givers, main characters and even your own character are voice acted, and it a high standard as well. Accepting quests usually involves a bit of dialogue, in which you use a dialogue wheel (such as in Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2). I find this makes "normal" questing that much more engaging, and it gets even better if you are in a group, either in normal questing or in dungeons as all the party are engaged. When a dialogue choice needs to be made, each will make their choice and a roll is taken, the highest score uses their dialogue choice. This happens for each dialogue choice. I think this is a fantastic piece of the game. While quests are generally Kill that, activate this, retrieve those, they are well done (which MMO does not involve these quests, they all do, it is just how well they hide it). Also, many quests branch out or give you alternative solutions to completing them (do you do what the original quest giver wanted or take take up the alternative option of another). Many quests involve choices that affect your rewards and light side/dark side standing. While there are two factions (Sith and Republic) both factions can choose Dark and Light Side options (and get gear for that disposition) meaning you can have evil Jedi or good Sith if you so which, adding in a lot of choice. Dungeons are very well done with good stories. In addition to the usual loot that drops from bosses, there are also things call Commendations that drop from dungeons, normal mobs while questing and as rewards. You can turn these in in exchange for powerful gear. So even if there was nothing that dropped for you on a dungeon run, you usually get enough commendations (or close to enough) to get good gear from the respective vendors which is an excellent touch. Crafting is very well implemented. Instead of you having to go accross the map to find materials, you can send out your companions to gather them for you and they also craft the items, free you up to quest. You can also find materials in the wild if you so choose. I find combat to be extremely fun. Gone is the Auto-attack. You have to activly use an ability to perform an attack. I was skeptical about this at first but have found it great fun as it is very engaging and the combat looks great! It makes for a very nice visual experience. Class are fun, although I am a bit disappointing that the Sith and Republic classes are pretty much the same, just with different skill names and visual effects (but the same basic function). Each Class has two Advanced Classes, making for a total of about 8 unique classes in the game. In addition, each Advanced Class has 3 talent trees (you get 1 point per level after 10 to spend here) allow you to customize further. The game is not perfect of course. For us RP'ers, at the moment there are no Chat Bubbles (they will be implemented at a later date) making /Say chat more difficult than it needs to be. In addition there are various bugs atm, most are merely visual glithces, but I have experienced one in an instance which made be fall through the floor and get stuck, meaning I have to re-logg and could not complete the dungeon with my group. Also, I ordered the Collector's Edtion, and for some reason there is no manual! So there is very little explanation on how things work, for example that planets are divided into instances. Normally this is fine, but if you want to group with somebody from another instance (think another copy of the world) you have to change. The issue with this, is that is warns me I will not be able to see if my friends are online in this new instance and I do not know how to change back (since I do not have a manual!). So they need to provide better instructions and maybe actually include a game manual. Also there are some server waits at the moment and there seems to be a grafical glitch that can slow down even high end machines (Note: Fix by Setting Graphic Default to High, then apply. Then set to Low and turn of shadows and if you, like me have a low end machine, turn off grass etc and it works fine). Over all, from my 5 days of playing early access I have to say this is a great game, the story telling are signature Bioware, the quests usually have different outcomes and twists and the combat is fun. A bit rough around the edges still, but I expect many of these to be fixed post launch. The Good
    - Story/Characters
    - Grouping
    - Instances
    - Combat
    - Crafting

The Bad
    - Bugs
    - Wait Times
    - Lack of manual/documentation
    - Missing features (chat bubbles)
    - Instanced Planets (but this does help reduce quest ganking)

Recommendation: If you like MMORPG's you should give this game a try.
    Rating: 9 (10 to balance Red;s)
  98. Dec 22, 2011
    Is it mostly WoW in a Star Wars skin. Yes. But is uber-polished and the story lines are great. I leveled 4 different classes in WoW, and for the life of me can't remember a cohesive story line. Now I take the heads off of people who reveal plot lines! I'm hooked!
  99. Dec 20, 2011
    They made a KOTOR (best game ever), but multiplayers. It's all I ever dreamed. I've played a lot of MMOs and it's the first time that I'm interested in the story of quests. I truly don't care if the gameplay is like in WoW, I've played MMOs before WoW and it was already the same. Did players complained about WoW gameplay ? At first I was afraid about graphics when I saw screenshots, butThey made a KOTOR (best game ever), but multiplayers. It's all I ever dreamed. I've played a lot of MMOs and it's the first time that I'm interested in the story of quests. I truly don't care if the gameplay is like in WoW, I've played MMOs before WoW and it was already the same. Did players complained about WoW gameplay ? At first I was afraid about graphics when I saw screenshots, but in fact the game is beautiful, I really love its style. Excellent work Bioware, thanks for all ! Expand

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.