8.2

1. Oct 24, 2011
    "If it aint broke, don't fix it". This game changes very little from SCI, but it doesn't really need to. It is fresh enough to warrant having a "2" put on it, and still it feels alot like "1", enough to bring back great memories from the first game.
    I dunno how many hours I have played this game, but one thing is for certain, it was never dull. The campaign I liked, alot (first campaign I have ever finished for an RTS, I never really played SC1's campaign, I just played skirmishes), the multiplayer (as always is awesome). All in all, its a great game.
  2. DanielH
    Jul 27, 2010
    I played the beta for months, and just finished the single player storyline after about two weeks of play. It's the most balanced RTS I've ever played, and the graphics, gameplay, and storytelling are top-notch. Best game of the year so far.
  3. BrianB
    Aug 1, 2010
    One of the greatest RTS games I have ever played is in my hands and installed on my computer. I have the original Starcraft and Brood War and those games have nothing compared to Starcraft 2. STORY: Everybody complains about no Protoss and Zerg campaigns in Wings of Liberty but there is no need . 26 missions (plus a bonus mission that I played) makes up for a long single player and really One of the greatest RTS games I have ever played is in my hands and installed on my computer. I have the original Starcraft and Brood War and those games have nothing compared to Starcraft 2. STORY: Everybody complains about no Protoss and Zerg campaigns in Wings of Liberty but there is no need . 26 missions (plus a bonus mission that I played) makes up for a long single player and really engaging story. The story was awesome. You do get to play some Protoss missions but overall the story is so engaging it is hard to stop playing and go get some sleep! SOUND: Sound is amazing! The original Starcraft nostalgia is there with some of the music being remixed to the newer setting. Even the units pretty much sound the same if not better. Great Sound. Graphics: One of the best for an RTS game. Do expect to play this game on some integrated graphics at decent frame rates with more than a couple of dozen of units. Some level are just plain beautiful and worthy of high praise. Blizzard has done a quality job in the graphics department. GAMEPLAY: A lot of people are saying this game is a rehash of the original but they are so wrong and I don't even think they played it. Now remember those cliffs that helped create a natural defense that would only be conquered by air units, well now some units like the Terren Reaper can fly up those cliffs with ease. This changes the gameplay up a bit and it is refreshing . But it does have the same Starcraft feel and isn't hat supposed to be what we all wanted in the first place? Why change the formula up when it has been proven to work? New units replace some of the old units from Starcraft and Brood War and to say I like these better than the old units.Multiplayer is such a blast and even better than the original. Too bad for no LAN support but I won't miss it. I don't live in South Korea anymore playing in the PC game rooms that is better with LAN. Most people won't miss it and the same goes for me. If your a fan of the original Starcraft then you gotta get this one. All others some play and see for yourself. I wouldn't really judge this game by what other people are saying, especially all the negative ones that give this game a 0 or a 1 because I feel they wanted features they wanted and since it doesn't include it they bash the game. You can't review what is not there. Best just to go out there and try it! Find someone who has it and ask if you can get their guest pass that was included with the game and see for yourself. You won't regret it! Expand
  4. JeancarloG
    Jul 27, 2010
    After 12 years of waiting it is finally here. Having just started playing the campaing and already a beta vet, i can say that this game delivers on all its promises and even adding some surprises. So, fan or not, totally check this game out.
  5. PLib
    Aug 6, 2010
    Starcraft is a fun game, if you're into Starcraft. That's about it. This game feels like a rehash of the Starcraft the first, just with updated graphics and interface. Quite frankly, that's not enough to compel me to buy this when their are other great RTS's still out there, like Dawn of War and Company of Heroes.
  6. JamesE
    Aug 6, 2010
    I suspect many of the people giving this '10' are WOW players who've not played many RTS's before. I can see how they'd be impressed. Its not bad, but its nowhere near 10. The story seems to have been written by George W. Bush with extra inputs from Oliver North. I know originality has never been big for Blizz's writing staff, but this seems to be a new low. I suspect many of the people giving this '10' are WOW players who've not played many RTS's before. I can see how they'd be impressed. Its not bad, but its nowhere near 10. The story seems to have been written by George W. Bush with extra inputs from Oliver North. I know originality has never been big for Blizz's writing staff, but this seems to be a new low. Lowest common denominator anyone? The business model is pure greed. Won't be too long before MW is integrated into Battlenet and we'll all have to pay subs for the privilege of using the service. The graphics could pretty much be sprites and viewing angle (especially compared to Total War, SupCom, CoH and the Dawn of War series) only allows for a small amount of the pretty small maps to be seen at once. Online is completely unbalanced (even if the units are fairly well-balanced), seeing as Blizz decided who was going to be good at it months/years ago and gave them alpha + beta access while the rest of us will have to play SC1 or dry as dust skirmish maps against the PC to even learn the names of Zerg or Protoss units. Of course the potential reviewers were included in the beta as well. So glad they all had a good time. Expand
  7. JasonK
    Jul 27, 2010
    Also, the menu setup is beautiful. It's different than any other Blizzard game, which is slightly disappointing, but it is beautiful.
  8. DanD
    Aug 2, 2010
    This game is hands down the greatest game ever made. Everything about the original was improved to a great degree, from match making to game balance. The new units add a lot of new strategies as do new mechanics such as destructible rocks, xel'naga watch towers and the addition of a second gas node at every base. As a die hard fan of SC:BW I went into this game with very high This game is hands down the greatest game ever made. Everything about the original was improved to a great degree, from match making to game balance. The new units add a lot of new strategies as do new mechanics such as destructible rocks, xel'naga watch towers and the addition of a second gas node at every base. As a die hard fan of SC:BW I went into this game with very high expectations and I can tell you that it lived up to every bit of it. The campaign, im sure is fun if youre into that sort of thing, I myself went straight for the multiplayer, which is excellent with the brand new ladder system. Gone are the days where you play against people significantly below or beyond you in terms of skill . My only complaint is the lack of clan support which the original enjoyed. I think it'd be great if people could make clans to make it easier to connect with other skilled people for team matches, such as 3v3s and 4v4s. All in all, if you even sort of enjoyed BW you will love SC2. Stop reading this and buy it now. Expand
  9. DavidS
    Jul 28, 2010
    Highly overrated. Almost exactly the same as SC1 with only updated graphics and an expansion's pack worth of content and tweaks. Plus Blizzard is being extremely greedy forcing you to buy 3 separate full price games instead of just one. Would not buy again.
  10. MIkeM.
    Jul 27, 2010
    If this game was released 5 years ago, it would have been wonderful. Oh wait, it was basically release 5 years ago with all the beta testing that was happening year after year... I don't know, feels kind of anticlimactic now.
  11. bobg
    Aug 6, 2010
    I just don't get it. The story is boring and doesn't grab you, the graphics are nothing amazing and the game is lacking a number of important features, e.g. LAN play. Sure this is a decent game if you want the same gameplay you had 12 years ago, but no way does it deserve the kind of perfect scores it's getting.
  12. JohnK
    Aug 2, 2010
    I'm very dissapointed with this game. WC3 made several improvements over SC, notably adding heroes and a 4th race. Many SC fans weren't enamored with the hero concept, but SC3 easily could have improved on WC3 by going up to 5 races and making individual units gain xp. Blizzard did neither, they cut back to 3 races, added/changed a few units, and "upgraded" to a 3D engine. Big I'm very dissapointed with this game. WC3 made several improvements over SC, notably adding heroes and a 4th race. Many SC fans weren't enamored with the hero concept, but SC3 easily could have improved on WC3 by going up to 5 races and making individual units gain xp. Blizzard did neither, they cut back to 3 races, added/changed a few units, and "upgraded" to a 3D engine. Big whoop. I am honesty not even sure if other than the bnet upgrades this game is even better than the original SC. Expand
  13. AlexW
    Jul 27, 2010
    One word: Ugh. Once again blizzard shows us how far a franchise can fall. Stunningly beautiful cinematics that still fall short due to the poor story. The campaign is decidedly weak, and the multi is so micro-oriented it's painful. SC2 was the game I was most anticipating this year (perhaps this decade), and it falls so short of expectation that words can't express the magnitude One word: Ugh. Once again blizzard shows us how far a franchise can fall. Stunningly beautiful cinematics that still fall short due to the poor story. The campaign is decidedly weak, and the multi is so micro-oriented it's painful. SC2 was the game I was most anticipating this year (perhaps this decade), and it falls so short of expectation that words can't express the magnitude of it's failure. Expand
  14. JCT
    Aug 5, 2010
    Twelve years in the making and the release of this game winds up similar to COD: Modern Warfare 2. While less features are considered such as no LAN, possibly few add-ons, a constant Internet connection and similar Facebook content are something I would NOT like to see in a PC game. Sure 30 missions in a game may be quite convincing for one campaign along with the looks of improved Twelve years in the making and the release of this game winds up similar to COD: Modern Warfare 2. While less features are considered such as no LAN, possibly few add-ons, a constant Internet connection and similar Facebook content are something I would NOT like to see in a PC game. Sure 30 missions in a game may be quite convincing for one campaign along with the looks of improved graphics. If this game is released with all three campaigns with at least as much missions and lasted as long as Grand Theft Auto IV and the acquired features I am looking for, I would own this game for $100. Therefore this game isn't by far unique and worth the price on features from what Relic's Company of Heroes had. Expand
  15. ColinY
    Aug 4, 2010
    A one for expenditure, but no points for effort. They took all the points that made SC 1 good, and removed them, and tried to cover for it with some prettied up graphics, and then split the game into three to make an even more obscene profit by releasing the same game engine again and again and call them new games rather then expansion packs. Activision is the devil.
  16. DaveL
    Aug 1, 2010
    Anyone giving this game a 10 needs to take a look at this game without buying into hype. Pretend it's called Blarghraft and re-assess it. It's at best a 7 if you're in to terribly outdated gameplay, graphics, music, story, etc. There is nothing about this game that feels fresh or intriguing. It's an SC expansion that could've been released a decade ago and been Anyone giving this game a 10 needs to take a look at this game without buying into hype. Pretend it's called Blarghraft and re-assess it. It's at best a 7 if you're in to terribly outdated gameplay, graphics, music, story, etc. There is nothing about this game that feels fresh or intriguing. It's an SC expansion that could've been released a decade ago and been decent at the time. Now it's just an average generic RTS with nothing that stands out from the myriad of RTS clones devoted to its own namesake. Except for a cliched story with middling voice acting there's nothing to rate SC2 on. It feels like Activision just put an old title through the assembly line to churn out something to put on the store shelves with the only innovation coming in ways to milk money off the title. Expand
  17. Aug 12, 2010
    First of all: I have played all portions of the game. SP and MP.

First of all: I have played all portions of the game. SP and MP.

9-10 pts is an exaggeration par excellence. If you take into account what ressources, what experience Blizzard has its just a shame what they serve us with Starcraft 2. Zero innovation and your own personal data collection plattform aka B.Net 2.0 are just two let downs with this one. Additionally it fails where it really shouldn't: MP - various cheats are already in use, very little is done against them. Balancing is a joke at best in every other playmode than 1v1.

The SP part is OK, but nothing you haven't seen so far. Story? Eric Cartman would say: lame!

If I take all of this I can only say I am very dissappointed, a game made for money and not for the gamers - 1 pts for greed and lack of inspiration.
  18. xixixixi
    Aug 6, 2010
    A rehashed 12 year old game with hardly any changes (especially visually) in order to make sure that the Korean tournament crowd will be pleased. A ridiculous relic to put it mildly. PS: I am particularly amused by the cut scenes that -naturally- have nothing to do with the actual game.
  19. Morpheus
    Jul 28, 2010
    When I go into game design, Blizzard will always be the company that I model my work ethic after. Not only are their games polished to perfection, they make games that everyone can enjoy and to me that is design at its best. Kudos Blizzard, this will keep me busy until diablo and your next MMO.
  20. Oct 11, 2010
    This game is not as good or at least it did not have the same impact Starcraft had on me and my friends when it came out. Still, this game is a must buy if you are a fan of the genre. Single player is fun and the achievements might keep you hooked for a while. Multipayer is great, blizzard made sure to make battle.net work well for it, at least to try and compensate for no LAN support.
  21. Nov 30, 2011
    Really good game, nice gameplay, great graphics. The only downside is this competitive thinking of most of people on the ladder online. It pushes the fun away whereas if you play with a friend or two, the game gets another dimension of fun! Campaign is alright and help you to get into the multiplayer quite quickly. But you can skip it, the game is worth for the multiplayer on its own.
  22. LukazP
    Jul 28, 2010
    While it may not revolutionize a genre, or even include many of the innovations that have been incorporated into countless RTS' in the twelve years since the release of the original Starcraft, this game succeeds in the same manner that virtually all Blizzard games do: by perfecting a genre and providing its loyal fanbase with a game so polished, so well-crafted, and so entertaining While it may not revolutionize a genre, or even include many of the innovations that have been incorporated into countless RTS' in the twelve years since the release of the original Starcraft, this game succeeds in the same manner that virtually all Blizzard games do: by perfecting a genre and providing its loyal fanbase with a game so polished, so well-crafted, and so entertaining that in contrast, other games appear clunky and pedantic. As someone who has been a PC gamer since 1988, I can wholeheartedly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys video games. You will enjoy it immensely and, notwithstanding the whiny criticisms of pale-faced fanboys, you will find that there is very little, if anything, not to love about this game. Go buy it. Expand
  23. JuaksD
    Jul 28, 2010
    This game is a masterpiece. Wonderful sound, graphics and gameplay. Very well balanced for a 1.0 version. Both Single player and Multiplayer are a joy to play. This game will make e-sports even bigger worldwide and it has a brilliant future.
  24. JoeyL.
    Jul 29, 2010
    The campaign is simply amazing with tons of repeatability. Great varied missions and jaw dropping story and cinematics to go with it all. the scenarios are also challenging and very rewarding to do. The multilayer is addictive as always with hundreds of varied custom maps already up. Tower defenses, fps, dota and dozens of other types of games are up on launch day no less The game runs The campaign is simply amazing with tons of repeatability. Great varied missions and jaw dropping story and cinematics to go with it all. the scenarios are also challenging and very rewarding to do. The multilayer is addictive as always with hundreds of varied custom maps already up. Tower defenses, fps, dota and dozens of other types of games are up on launch day no less The game runs fine even on my old 3 year old laptop, though it takes my 2 or so year old desktop to turn up all the bells and whistles. The game looks great and the effects are amazing as well. The party, friends and voice chat are great. I love that i could add all my facebook friends in one go (although this is optional. All in all this is the best rts thats come out since wc3 and sc1 before it. Hundreds of hours of gameplay for the best 60 dollars ive ever spent. Expand
  25. ZeratulR
    Jul 29, 2010
    such a good game, a must have, its flawless, i dont understand the 0's at all, whats this talk of bad story, the story is great if u dont get it gtfo, the story is very interesting, the campaign does not fall short, u guys are retarded, there is no rts that has a better storyline then this absolutely none.
  26. IanR
    Jul 29, 2010
    Ignore the fool that gave the game a 0 because his computer was trash. Excellent game, just as balanced as the original, with loads of polish and a surprisingly good campaign mode.
  27. GARYP
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Single Player Campaign is actually very good and thats the first time i've said that for a game in 23years of my life. As for the multiplayer, no other RTS game even come close to the sheer intencity & entertainment that sc2 brings. The strategetic timing/positining/unit composition/micro/macro involved in sc2 is so deep and diverse there is no minor imbalance at all and the game The Single Player Campaign is actually very good and thats the first time i've said that for a game in 23years of my life. As for the multiplayer, no other RTS game even come close to the sheer intencity & entertainment that sc2 brings. The strategetic timing/positining/unit composition/micro/macro involved in sc2 is so deep and diverse there is no minor imbalance at all and the game is only 2 days old. Expand
  28. DougW
    Jul 29, 2010
    This was worth the wait. The new Battle.net interface works like a charm and the achievement system has me replaying missions to get better results. Highly addictive gameplay. Anyone who's even remotely a RTS fan needs to pick this up. Nice job Blizzard!
  29. ChristianS.
    Jul 30, 2010
    While disappointed in the fact that the other two races were not included in the first game and that the price was high, I like playing from Jim Raynor's perspective. And while not a huge departure from the first, it is so polished and smooth that I find myself rather enjoying it.
  30. OndrejD
    Jul 30, 2010
    Great game, best RTS since original Starcraft. Only bummers are region lock and optimalization on Mac (had to use bootcamp to play it reasonably), but hopefully this will be fixed soon. Campaing is great, multiplayer is for me the best online experience ever.
  31. ChrisE.
    Jul 30, 2010
    As old Blizzard RTS-"fan-boy" (since Warcraft I) I was of course anticipating this for many years. And now, it has finally arrived: A great game, but unforuntately with some flaws which hurt me a little bit. The Multiplayer is withouth doubt, great fun. The Singleplayer offers very good mission design, great cinematics and a very interesting story mode in between the missions. The graphic As old Blizzard RTS-"fan-boy" (since Warcraft I) I was of course anticipating this for many years. And now, it has finally arrived: A great game, but unforuntately with some flaws which hurt me a little bit. The Multiplayer is withouth doubt, great fun. The Singleplayer offers very good mission design, great cinematics and a very interesting story mode in between the missions. The graphic design is good (as far as I only play on my netbook, it should not be any better anyway :)) The weakness of the singleplayer mode, is unfortunately, the one thing that Blizzard could best in the past: THE STORY. Starcraft I had a great story with many surprising twists. Warcraft III had very great characters and a very interesting Story. But all the SCII story does is fullfilling clichees with boring and unemotional characters... But still: it is a great game worth its money, and the best RTS you can get at the moment. Expand
  32. ARanly
    Aug 1, 2010
    CJ Henry, that may be true, but there's no doubt that this game has polish and refinement written all over it. Original and innovative in improving the same old formula, yet uninspired in overhauling the foundation, its what Blizzard does best.
  33. NjoiF.
    Aug 1, 2010
    Yes this is without a doubt an amazing game. An amazingly crafted campaign and extremely well balanced multiplayer make this the best rts experience this year. The only problem with this game is that blizzard had to compromise on the graphics in order to have a game that will run on almost any pc. Fortunately you can compensate for not so great graphics by playing it in stereoscopic 3d, Yes this is without a doubt an amazing game. An amazingly crafted campaign and extremely well balanced multiplayer make this the best rts experience this year. The only problem with this game is that blizzard had to compromise on the graphics in order to have a game that will run on almost any pc. Fortunately you can compensate for not so great graphics by playing it in stereoscopic 3d, like i do. Expand
  34. BenF
    Aug 2, 2010
    The good of the Old, The Spice of the new, but -1 on the score because the macro manage has not been made easier after so many years. it all comes down to keyboard & MVP it seems. Albiet a fun way to micro macro! no other game makes me want to learn how to use a keyboard with RTS as much as SC2.
  35. AParsons
    Aug 5, 2010
    Dont listen to the total haters out their its clear that they have something in their bonnet with either Blizzard or SC2 and having played all the single player I would say these people have not really played the game much or at all. What you get with SC2 is a great but shortish single player campaign where you play from the Terran side or miore exactly Jim Raynor's Rebels. The story Dont listen to the total haters out their its clear that they have something in their bonnet with either Blizzard or SC2 and having played all the single player I would say these people have not really played the game much or at all. What you get with SC2 is a great but shortish single player campaign where you play from the Terran side or miore exactly Jim Raynor's Rebels. The story line is fun though with a lot of humor and a few bits of cgi thrown in the rest of the story cut scenes are from the games engine. Again people claiming billion of hours of cgi really are miss informing you. The other two races single player stories are going to be covered in the next two expansions so you will have to buy too expansions to complete the whole story line. However SC2 main strength is not the single player campaign its the multiplayer where the true strengh of the game really lies and that side of play is really good fun you get split into different leagues after taking part in 5 placement matches so you will be facing people of your own skill level. The multiplayer is very fast paced with all the races being fairly well balanced yet playing in totally different fasions, matches can range from 1v1 roo teams of 4v4 or even Free for all matches and with the quick find functions of B.net you will be quicky to find a match most the time. You have too remember that SC1 is concidered a national sport in Korea and SC2 looks like it will replace its aging brother so expect a very high level of play in the top leagues. With players being able to earn upto a six figure sallary this game really can be concidered Pro Gaming. The down side of all this is that SC2 requires you to have internet access in order to play even the single player which can be a real downer if Battle.net is down for whatever reason because you will not be able to play the game at all. Also you can not lan this game at all. Still all in all this is as good as an RTS gets at the moment. Expand
  36. JimR.
    Jul 28, 2010
    This is, simply put, the greatest game of all time. Best looking cinematics around, incredibly deep multiplayer, a great campaign and story. Some people complain that this is 1/3 of a game but honestly this campaign is 3 times bigger and better than any other games out there.
  37. LucasT.
    Jul 28, 2010
    Que decir de este juego y de esta compañia. Sacan juegos cada 5 años( tardan mucho ), pero cuando lo hacen, que tiemblen las demas compañias, Blizzard ha vuelto y starcraft se alza de nuevo para proporcionar lo que es para mi uno de los mejores juegos de estrategia que ha existido. Cinematicas impresionantes, esencia de estrategia clasica. Historia que te absorve, Que decir de este juego y de esta compañia. Sacan juegos cada 5 años( tardan mucho ), pero cuando lo hacen, que tiemblen las demas compañias, Blizzard ha vuelto y starcraft se alza de nuevo para proporcionar lo que es para mi uno de los mejores juegos de estrategia que ha existido. Cinematicas impresionantes, esencia de estrategia clasica. Historia que te absorve, graficos clasicos y a la vez buenisimos. En mi opinion un acierto total al juego y una merecida compra. Un saludo y a los amantes de la estrategia os lo aconsejo 100%. Expand
  38. AntonyB
    Jul 28, 2010
    Blizzard has done it again. It's easy to take the work they put into their games for granted...but compared against many of the other games currently available on the PC, StarCraft II is easily an 11+/10. There's so much polish in every aspect of the game. All I want when I sit down to play is a fun, polished, engaging experience, and this game's spades has it in spades. Blizzard has done it again. It's easy to take the work they put into their games for granted...but compared against many of the other games currently available on the PC, StarCraft II is easily an 11+/10. There's so much polish in every aspect of the game. All I want when I sit down to play is a fun, polished, engaging experience, and this game's spades has it in spades. I'm switching back and forth between the single-player campaign and the multiplayer and having equal fun with both. Expand
  39. MarkP
    Jul 28, 2010
    Fast, frantic play. Excellent graphics. Very high quality sound and voice actors. No programming bugs detected at all. Still has that SC feel to it. An absolute must-have for RTS players. Easily a 10/10. And I'm not a fanboy; I didn't like WC3.
  40. TerryD
    Jul 28, 2010
    Starcraft 2 is hands down the best RTS game to come out in years. Graphics are beautiful in game and during its rendered cut-scenes, game play is fantastic for all of the races, and the story is awesome.
  41. SeanK
    Jul 28, 2010
    This really is an exceptional game, at least from what I've seen of the campaign content. The story aspect, which is what I like in a game, is well written and acted. The missions are interesting and varied, a nice mix of defence, escorts, and all out attacks. The performance is impressive. I'm on a 2008 MacBook Pro, and playing with most settings on medium or low, but it looks This really is an exceptional game, at least from what I've seen of the campaign content. The story aspect, which is what I like in a game, is well written and acted. The missions are interesting and varied, a nice mix of defence, escorts, and all out attacks. The performance is impressive. I'm on a 2008 MacBook Pro, and playing with most settings on medium or low, but it looks pretty sweet. Looking forward to trying this in a few months on a newer machine. Expand
  42. JamieD
    Jul 28, 2010
    Gary K. Your PC must be an emachine from 2000 then...this runs fiine on my laptop and over 120 fps on my desktop all settings ultra. The multiplayer is awesome!!! Better than the first. Hands down better than any game made this year or last.
  43. goldgold
    Jul 28, 2010
    Blizzard did it again! This game is one of the most outstanding strategy games I ever tried, with an incredible campaign with a depth story, gameplay that provides hours of fun and tons of strategies, a multiplayer that challenges without frustrate, and an editor that allows to create.
  44. RichardH
    Jul 28, 2010
    What a beautifully made game! Blizzard has truly, -truly- outdone themselves with SC2. I only played Starcraft sparingly, but I was hooked on the beta and I love the campaign so far. I am a great fan of the multiplayer, and, although it's a bit bugged right now occasionally, the same could be said for almost every other game release ever. Kudos, Blizzard! Starcraft wasn't the What a beautifully made game! Blizzard has truly, -truly- outdone themselves with SC2. I only played Starcraft sparingly, but I was hooked on the beta and I love the campaign so far. I am a great fan of the multiplayer, and, although it's a bit bugged right now occasionally, the same could be said for almost every other game release ever. Kudos, Blizzard! Starcraft wasn't the game it is for several years, Starcraft 2 has already succeeded it, and it has a long time to go! Expand
  45. DanyalR
    Jul 28, 2010
    It would be hard not to give the most polished and competitive real time strategy a 10/10. Honestly, I did not like the mechanics of the original game much, but Blizzard significantly improved upon those in this game. I have probably spent more time playing the beta of starcraft 2 than most of my other fully retail games, and I am pretty sure I'll spend a hefty thousand hours into It would be hard not to give the most polished and competitive real time strategy a 10/10. Honestly, I did not like the mechanics of the original game much, but Blizzard significantly improved upon those in this game. I have probably spent more time playing the beta of starcraft 2 than most of my other fully retail games, and I am pretty sure I'll spend a hefty thousand hours into the retail version. Expand
  46. BrendanC
    Jul 28, 2010
    SC2 is a great game, if you play through all the campaigns, it's a very lengthy ordeal and especially a good replay if you want to get the achievements through. I haven't played multiplayer yet but for being the #1 competitive online game in the world i'm sure it won't dissapoint. Bravo Blizzard!
  47. TomS
    Jul 28, 2010
    Fantastic game. Great campaign with an intersting adventure game twist. Many great feature including replays and trial missions. Multiplayer as addictive as ever and modest entry specs. The game we've all been waiting for.
  48. johnf
    Jul 28, 2010
    Graphics and lack of innovation seems to be the main problems here, but I dont hate it. Starcraft is starcraft and diablo is diablo. If Blizzard wanted to innovate they would've started a new franchise. But this is starcraft and you really cant change it much other than add new units. The 60$ price is pretty much the same as most console games. If you are lagging then maybe you Graphics and lack of innovation seems to be the main problems here, but I dont hate it. Starcraft is starcraft and diablo is diablo. If Blizzard wanted to innovate they would've started a new franchise. But this is starcraft and you really cant change it much other than add new units. The 60$ price is pretty much the same as most console games. If you are lagging then maybe you should get a new rig. Peace and have fun!!!1! Expand
  49. JessB
    Jul 28, 2010
    The campaign is amazing. For only focusing on the Terran, every level is fresh and different. I have to praise something most people don't: the Galaxy Editor is amazing and a big improvement over WC3's editor. The match making is excellent and the new league structures work to match similarly skilled players.
  50. Jan 17, 2011
    I think you should give three ratings of a game: one right away, one after 20 hours of play and one 6 months later. The average of my votes is 9, as you can see.
    StarCraft II delivers a great gaming experience, with some minor flaws (and I'm talking about the lack of LAN play and some online features) but great content anyway. Graphics are really notable, even if the system requirements are way too high right now: I would really like to see a new low-rez version of the client, because if you don't have a fairly decent (at least Intel Core Duo or AMD equivalent) processor and 4 gigs of DDR2 RAM, well, it's unplayable.
    Music is another really good point: the band performing the Terran soundtrack features Tony Levin and Jerry Marotta, two fairly known and very good musicians.
    As for the gameplay side, this games really is influenced by the eSports system, making it least complex and slow, and much more fast-paced, quick-thinking (HUGE battles take 10 secs at maximum), which may be either really good or really bad, but what I think is that this is good indeed!
    An absolute must-buy, but try to avoid paying 60 â
  51. May 20, 2011
    Fun game, and I don't even enjoy multiplayer RTS. I just played through the campaign, which I enjoyed a lot. The only complaint I have is that the campaign wasn't longer. It was well done, but it could have been longer. That's why I give it a 9 instead of a 10.
  52. Dec 6, 2011
    This game is amazing. Unlike a lot of the troll complaints, the story is awesome, far advanced from the previous one, and much more advanced then I've ever seen from an RTS. I had to play through the story mode the first day I got it becuase I had to know what happened. I love how they worked in the unit customization so I was not forced to just use whatever new unit they gave me, and IThis game is amazing. Unlike a lot of the troll complaints, the story is awesome, far advanced from the previous one, and much more advanced then I've ever seen from an RTS. I had to play through the story mode the first day I got it becuase I had to know what happened. I love how they worked in the unit customization so I was not forced to just use whatever new unit they gave me, and I could use a consistent strategy throughout the maps. I also like how they worked in doing protoss missions, and the last protoss mission was an epic level, probably one of the best in the history of any RTS ever. This game has everything going for it, but I give it a 9 for being a bit choppy still online. I was in the beta testing, and it worked fine, but when the full version came out, it was not working as well anymore, so they have to add more servers or something to compensate for the amount of players on B-net. Expand
  53. Jul 16, 2013
    Well balanced strategy game (like Sc1 and Bw). The single player Campaign was excellent! Even thou the story does`nt "top" the original SC1 story, its a good continue, and the game itself has renewed the way the campaign is build up. You can develop in different directions, between missions, and have to live with the choices you make. It has different difficulties, which makes it fun noWell balanced strategy game (like Sc1 and Bw). The single player Campaign was excellent! Even thou the story does`nt "top" the original SC1 story, its a good continue, and the game itself has renewed the way the campaign is build up. You can develop in different directions, between missions, and have to live with the choices you make. It has different difficulties, which makes it fun no matter the level your on. (my friend has to play it casual to enjoy the game, i need more challenge and go hard, and if hard is to hard, then i can take this one mission easier, and go back to hard on the next mission again). The game also has 3 alternate challenges within each mission, which you don`t have to take to succeed, but which makes it fun to play the same mission again several times to reach this goal as well.. And of course, the graphics is up to date Excellent game, MANY hours of fun, even after single player campaign is through, you can play it again, or enjoy the best multiplayer strategy game of all time Expand
  54. Jul 22, 2013
    Positives:
    - looks cartoony but appealing and still serious enough to enjoy
    - most unit portraits are well made and have a good design - Multiplayer! This is about Multiplayer - frequent balance patches - Modability! This is a great plus for me. You can make basically everything in the GalaxyEditor. One can make entire new games within Sc2. Awesome! - active Community: be it Forums
    Positives:
    - looks cartoony but appealing and still serious enough to enjoy
    - most unit portraits are well made and have a good design
    - Multiplayer! This is about Multiplayer
    - frequent balance patches
    - active Community: be it Forums or the constant flow of new custom maps. With a community that big that has access to advanced moding tools such as the fabulous editor this game won't get boring too fast :)
    - the campaign missions are designed fun and diverse

Negatives:
    - Music. Except for the Terran music I consider the soundtrack of part 1 to be the superior one. The great terran music in Sc2 is en par with the terran music in Sc1. They even captured the whole 'space cowboy' theme a little better this time around.
    - Story: The campaign didn't touch me or anything. The whole atmosphere wasn't as unforgiving, cold and gruesome as in Sc1. In Starcraft 1 the cold depth of space was present. The terrans were rugged, slightly degenerate nihilist basterds in Sc1 and it suited them. They were space dark, weird space humans. In the multiplayer of Sc2 everything feels alright about the terrans but in the campaign they're all too shiny and perfect at times. The dark awesome feel of part one is absent during Sc2's campaign. Still, the missions were fun and diverse (see above)
    - Protoss: when have the protoss become singing moral elves? Really they once were awesome radical superbeings who felt superior to everyone because they were. They had awesome big ships and erased entire planets with their radical advanced technolgy if it served their interest. Besides they had other faces and looked way more awesome. Now they just look... I don't know. Their faces are to edged, the eyes to little. I preferred the design in Sc1. It was simpler but it looked way more natural. The way an intelligent alien race should look. Besides, in Sc1 Protoss didn't wear shiny cute crystals everywhere. What happened to the Protoss? They were cool once...

Conclusion:
    This is a multiplayer game so the minus of the story is a relatively unimportant one. The protoss problem is a question of personal preference of course. Don't like them? Play another faction. Overall they fit in with the other 2 (way more badass) factions well enough. So this minus is rendered rather meaningless, too. The music, while not as good as in part one at some points (again the Protoss music is my least favorite...) overall is still a solid piece of work and the terran theme is awesome. Zerg is cool, too, sounding very organic and aggressive which suits this race perfectly.
  55. AshleyC
    Jul 28, 2010
    Stunning graphics, very innovative and immersive level design. Multiplayer is well-balanced considering the ambitiously diverse styles between races. Runs on max settings with rarely any reduction in FPS lag on my $700 PC. Not having a protoss or zerg campaign is a bummer, but I'd rather have the game out NOW than wait for them to be finished. Besides, users will create content and Stunning graphics, very innovative and immersive level design. Multiplayer is well-balanced considering the ambitiously diverse styles between races. Runs on max settings with rarely any reduction in FPS lag on my $700 PC. Not having a protoss or zerg campaign is a bummer, but I'd rather have the game out NOW than wait for them to be finished. Besides, users will create content and BNET is where the action is. There is plenty in this game to justify the price tag. Expand
  56. StevenH
    Jul 28, 2010
    This game trivializes any rts on the planet besides one. Starcraft the original. And even then its a photo finish. With the amount of time they spent balancing the races and the success they achieved with them, I would have gladly paid the 59.99 even if the game was completely online. With all the custom games that are on battlenet it makes SC II an amazing deal even before you consider This game trivializes any rts on the planet besides one. Starcraft the original. And even then its a photo finish. With the amount of time they spent balancing the races and the success they achieved with them, I would have gladly paid the 59.99 even if the game was completely online. With all the custom games that are on battlenet it makes SC II an amazing deal even before you consider the singleplayer campaign. If you like strategy games at all this is a no brainer purchase. Expand
  57. FrançoisC
    Jul 29, 2010
    AMAZING game!!! Definitely what I expected and much, much, MUCH MUCH MORE. Simply amazing on every aspect - I will let you discover it, but it's everything you could dream of and more. Yes, it's that good - and complete. Easily 10/10.
  58. KrzysztofJ.
    Jul 29, 2010
    This game is perfect. The original was perfect, this is just a recreation to bring it back to the modern age. As for people complaining about LAN, do not buy the game if you want LAN play, Blizzard announced months ago LAN was gone. If you complain about the game running poorly on your machine, just like with any other PC game, check the system requirements before you buy it. The online This game is perfect. The original was perfect, this is just a recreation to bring it back to the modern age. As for people complaining about LAN, do not buy the game if you want LAN play, Blizzard announced months ago LAN was gone. If you complain about the game running poorly on your machine, just like with any other PC game, check the system requirements before you buy it. The online play is amazing, I love the new Battle.net. One thing I have yet to see from any reviews is comments on the new custom maps, The game has been out for not even 2 days and there's already some incredible maps out there, when WC3 first came out the custom maps were quite lame, but in SC2 they are already beating what's available in WC3. People also complain that "you have to pay another $120 for the full campaign" which is not true, this game includes a much more in depth, much longer, campaign focusing on one race, they could have shortened it and made it comparable to the others but they put in a lot more effort to make this campaign be the best of any RTS, which I think it is. Expand
  59. GrantP
    Jul 29, 2010
    Simply in 1 word EPIC. I've waited for what feels like decades for this and was worried it would not live up to my hype. i was not disapointed the game is simply brilliant. The single player campaign is evenly balanced and runs you through at the right pace enjoying the game, occasional grindy mission but that is forgiven. Multl is v.challenging but enjoyable. Quite simply the best Simply in 1 word EPIC. I've waited for what feels like decades for this and was worried it would not live up to my hype. i was not disapointed the game is simply brilliant. The single player campaign is evenly balanced and runs you through at the right pace enjoying the game, occasional grindy mission but that is forgiven. Multl is v.challenging but enjoyable. Quite simply the best RTS since the last one. Expand
  60. Robert
    Jul 29, 2010
    Fantastic campaign and after just 3 days already some incredibly creative user maps done. This game will get even better once the millions playing it start tinkering with the editor for new content.
  61. InsanelySane
    Jul 29, 2010
    I've been around since Dune/Warcraft RTS's started off and I've got to say Blizzard never cease to amaze in their spot on delivery of a solid, forward thinking, tightly produced masterpieces.. This is a game that suits a whole range of players with difficulties that truly challenge each to their own. Engaging, FUN, constantly refreshing, the single player has taken RTS to a I've been around since Dune/Warcraft RTS's started off and I've got to say Blizzard never cease to amaze in their spot on delivery of a solid, forward thinking, tightly produced masterpieces.. This is a game that suits a whole range of players with difficulties that truly challenge each to their own. Engaging, FUN, constantly refreshing, the single player has taken RTS to a new level. Its not even that cheesy - there's a lot of heart and soul in this game. Anyone giving this release a 0 rating is giving the cream and pinnacle of gaming the finger - and they are doing so because of one niggly thing that affects them and most likely something that can be fixed. There are MANY customisable video/sound/gameplay options to tweak and fix so why complain when the programming is superb?! What else could you hope for? :) The multiplayer is going to take the already incredible online community to the next level. I predict it will hit hard not dissimilar (but different in its own way) to what WOW did for online gaming. Its incredibly competitive, incredibly diverse and just oozes polish. You are in good hands with this one, I know I'm enjoying every moment of it. Dont let immature idiots who rate it low because it doesnt do everything you ever imagined sour your appetite - this is the best RTS ever made. Expand
  62. MattB.
    Jul 29, 2010
    The best RTS game since the original - it may have been a 12 year wait but it was well worth it. For anyone scared this may be too multiplayer focused you should know that the campaign is extremely deep and rewarding as well. The campaign delivers proof (as if it was needed) that Blizzard is still the master of story telling and the cut scenes are out of this world. The multiplayer is of The best RTS game since the original - it may have been a 12 year wait but it was well worth it. For anyone scared this may be too multiplayer focused you should know that the campaign is extremely deep and rewarding as well. The campaign delivers proof (as if it was needed) that Blizzard is still the master of story telling and the cut scenes are out of this world. The multiplayer is of course extremely balanced and a lot of fun - exactly what we expect from a Starcraft game! Expand
  63. JomiyoY
    Jul 29, 2010
    Does the series proper justice, unlike other recent RTS digraces. Pretty much the same formula ~ updated, without feeling like a rehash. If you enjoyed SC+BW, get this game!
  64. DonL
    Jul 31, 2010
    Power overwhelming! This game rocks. Rather than attempting some kind of high-concept, new style of RTS, Blizzard has stuck to their roots and changed virtually nil from the original Starcraft. Just added a few new units, a much improved campaign, and one extra dimension. The third one, that is. As in 3D. I don't mean we get to visit another dimension. Don't let me give you that Power overwhelming! This game rocks. Rather than attempting some kind of high-concept, new style of RTS, Blizzard has stuck to their roots and changed virtually nil from the original Starcraft. Just added a few new units, a much improved campaign, and one extra dimension. The third one, that is. As in 3D. I don't mean we get to visit another dimension. Don't let me give you that impression. Because we don't. And talk about beautiful! It's gorgeous and gritty. I was afraid, and I'm sure many of you have shared the same apprehension, that the Blizfags in all their stupid wisdom would adopt Warcraft's cartoony visuals for the Starcraft sequel. But let me assure you: not really. I mean, it's sort of cartoony. Like, the medics have these huge medic shields that don't really make any sense, but for the most part it's perfectly fine and adult-looking. If your girlfriend looks over your shoulder, you won't be embarrassed. That is, if you have a girlfriend. Which you don't. Anyways. Great game! What happened to the Sunken Colonies and Lurkers? I mean seriously. . . WTF happened to the Sunken Colonies and the Lurkers? Instead of the Sunken Colonies, the Zerg get some kind of huge, giant, flapping dildo-tentacle that snaps ground units in the face. You heard correctly. Ground units. . . get bludgeoned in the face. . . with a giant peeney-weeney. I guess that is kind of an incentive to stay away from their base, though, isn't it? Who wants to rush the Zerg base only to get cock-slapped? Fuck that dildo-slapping tentacle bitch. Great game, though! Dark Templars have Darth Maul scythes. There's a unit called the Omegalisk which is basically four-and a half Ultrulisks in one. You can't make it. There's a Jamaican Witch Doct. . . I mean, Ghost. Raynor shoots a huge, beautiful plasma TV that probably cost a few grand with his revolver like a dumbass. The Xel-Naga are a playable race. Just kidding. Expand
  65. JoolzL
    Jul 30, 2010
    To CJ Henry, That an unfair rating and you know it. And if you don't then here's why, that's not a game rating. Thats a personal bitch because it doesn't delivery on YOUR expectations. The gameplay is fluid and familiar, the races are individual and unique from one another. The interactive menues (aka The Hyperion) add a great element to the story. You can skip the non To CJ Henry, That an unfair rating and you know it. And if you don't then here's why, that's not a game rating. Thats a personal bitch because it doesn't delivery on YOUR expectations. The gameplay is fluid and familiar, the races are individual and unique from one another. The interactive menues (aka The Hyperion) add a great element to the story. You can skip the non essentials completely or explore them to be rewarded with a deeper look atthe characters. There is SO much good in this game. To rate it low because it doesn't support your favored play style (LAN) or because it has a story instead of empty fighting for the sake of fighting is simply petulant. Also so say this game is "supposed" to be a tournament game is just shortsighted. It's an RTS with a deep history and massive following, the fact that it's developed into a mass passtime doesn't define it. For me this game has been well worth the wait, brilliant Expand
  66. SamE
    Aug 1, 2010
    This game is absolutely amazing. It delivers everything that is promised, from an epic campaign, to engaging multiplayer that will keep you hooked for a long time. Although with or without this review, you already know if you're buying it or not. Also, to those naysayers, they all seem to be made their computer can't run it or hold personal vendettas against Activision. Facebook This game is absolutely amazing. It delivers everything that is promised, from an epic campaign, to engaging multiplayer that will keep you hooked for a long time. Although with or without this review, you already know if you're buying it or not. Also, to those naysayers, they all seem to be made their computer can't run it or hold personal vendettas against Activision. Facebook integration in fact does not mean it updates your facebook with what you're doing in StarCraft 2. It just means it's easier to find your friends who have Battle.net accounts. Do a bit of research before you whine and complain. Expand
  67. TimM
    Aug 2, 2010
    Blizzard aimed to topple the original as the gold standard for RTS and succeeded admirably. Great graphics and stellar sound. Although "Wings of Liberty" provides a story-based single player campaign for the Terran faction only, that campaign is rich and deep, with some non-linear elements and considerable replayability. The single player campaign is comprised of 29 story missions, up to Blizzard aimed to topple the original as the gold standard for RTS and succeeded admirably. Great graphics and stellar sound. Although "Wings of Liberty" provides a story-based single player campaign for the Terran faction only, that campaign is rich and deep, with some non-linear elements and considerable replayability. The single player campaign is comprised of 29 story missions, up to 26 of which may be included in each play through (based on the player's decisions). Mission variety is superb, as each mission offers unique goals and obstacles, including some genuinely original and exciting scenarios. Rounding our the single player options are a series of "Challenge Modes", 9 stand-alone levels designed to teach advanced RTS tactics and test experienced players' acumen. Multiplayer components are both familiar and engaging. Starcraft 2 debuts Blizzard's "Battle.net 2.0" online functionality, with built in matchmaking, leagues, statistics, and chat. Smartly, Blizzard has included Facebook integration to allow players to easily add online friends to their in-game friends lists for multiplayer. Gameplay consists of the same 3 classic factions from the original, with many units from the previous game returning with new abilities alongside a host of new units. Balance is excellent, although the early game focus (known online as Blitzing and Rushing) may frustrate newer players. If Starcraft 2 has faults, they are likely to be found deep in the pedigree itself. Starcraft 2 remains an "old-school" RTS, with plenty of base building, resource gathering, and hands-on unit control. The trappings of modern RTS's are not present, and players accustomed to the features of newer strategy games may find themselves fustrated by the level of micromanagement the game demands. While faction balance is nearly flawless, the multiplayer relies on an elaborate structure of so-called "hard counters": units which trump specific other units. Slow build times and deep tech trees can mean that, at all but the highest levels of gameplay, even if you see a particular attck coming well in advance you may still be helpless against it. Adding to the frustration, the aforementioned Rush and Blitz strategies predominate competitive multiplayer, forcing both players to go "all-in" within the first minutes of a match. Despite these minor annoyances, Starcraft 2 remains one of the best RTS games available today. This is a must-have for any fan of the genre. Expand
  68. DBLev
    Jul 28, 2010
    From the moment I started playing, all the reasons I loved the original came flying back to me. Not only does it evoke the fun and incredible quality of its predecessor, but it expounds upon it with incredible graphics, outstanding cinematics, a compelling story, great voice acting, and new modes of unit progression that give the player exciting new choices for customization. This game is From the moment I started playing, all the reasons I loved the original came flying back to me. Not only does it evoke the fun and incredible quality of its predecessor, but it expounds upon it with incredible graphics, outstanding cinematics, a compelling story, great voice acting, and new modes of unit progression that give the player exciting new choices for customization. This game is a must have! Expand
  69. WallyR
    Jul 28, 2010
    Absolutely fantastic. Outstanding visuals, great sound, and fun gameplay. Love the new units and choice of missions. Cut scenes are jaw-dropping and add so much to the telling of the story.
  70. SpyderC.
    Jul 28, 2010
    You can tell Blizzard put a lot of money into the single player campaign. It's fun, well polished and has a great story with incredible graphics.
  71. WillS
    Jul 28, 2010
    The multilayer alone earns this game a 10 ten. That being said, there is one thing I was slightly disappointed with... the length of the single player. This complaint is really only because the game is awesome and I wanted it to continue. I'm just a little hesitant to fork over another $60 for BOTH of the next two campaigns. Otherwise this is an amazing game. It's blizzard so The multilayer alone earns this game a 10 ten. That being said, there is one thing I was slightly disappointed with... the length of the single player. This complaint is really only because the game is awesome and I wanted it to continue. I'm just a little hesitant to fork over another $60 for BOTH of the next two campaigns. Otherwise this is an amazing game. It's blizzard so yeah... that speaks for itself. Expand
  72. ScottD
    Jul 28, 2010
    I don't get what all the complaints are about. Firstly, the campaign is fantastic and completely different than what I imagined it was going to be like. Anyone concerned with the lack of LAN is being an idiot. God forbid that Blizzard would like to sell a copy of the game to each person that is going to be playing it. That is really no different than almost every other game on the I don't get what all the complaints are about. Firstly, the campaign is fantastic and completely different than what I imagined it was going to be like. Anyone concerned with the lack of LAN is being an idiot. God forbid that Blizzard would like to sell a copy of the game to each person that is going to be playing it. That is really no different than almost every other game on the market. How many hundreds of millions has Blizzard lost due to the LAN feature in Starcraft 1? More people play SC over LAN in Korea than the number of copies of the game actually sold. The price tag is in now way a big surprise. SC is in no way a single player game. SC is a multiplayer game that will give you hundreds or thousands of hours of enjoyment. Anyone scoffing at the $60 price is an idiot. how much did you pay for God of War and its 9 hour campaign? Or how about the other hundreds of single player games that offer no more content after the primary story? Expand
  73. TonyP
    Jul 28, 2010
    This is the best RTS game yet and I wasn't even one of those millions of starcraft 1 players. When everyone else was fixated on starcraft, I was playing red alert 2. I only discovered the quality of blizzard games after playing warcraft 3 (my first blizzard RTS). So when starcraft 2 was announced, I was excited, counting down the date to July 27, 2010 (which coincidentally is a day This is the best RTS game yet and I wasn't even one of those millions of starcraft 1 players. When everyone else was fixated on starcraft, I was playing red alert 2. I only discovered the quality of blizzard games after playing warcraft 3 (my first blizzard RTS). So when starcraft 2 was announced, I was excited, counting down the date to July 27, 2010 (which coincidentally is a day before my b-day). Blizzard never disappoints and this is true for starcraft 2. There single player campaign is simply epic and there is so many side things you can do, such as play an arcade, choose the mission path you are going, or upgrade your army (so there is something for RPG fans out there). Enough about the campaign, multiplayer online, thats where its at. It takes a lot of skills and strategy to master this game but the process of learning is so fun. The matchmaking is such that if you play against others, you'll be matched with people your own skill level so you don't have to worry about being pwned by a veteran. The custom games are fun as hell. You'll see games from every genre. And as long as there is someone creative out there, there will always be new content. Hey, I didn't stop playing warcraft 3 since its release date in 2002 until starcraft 2 came out, and I was always playing new content. Now this is a review of CONTENT. For some reason people are giving this game 1 star because of DRM, or lack of LAN, or it being 1/3 of a game, or dumb reasons like their game didn't get shipped on the first day. I'd respect their opinion of the game even if they gave 1 star if it had something to do with the campaign being boring, or the game being unbalanced or something like that. Sure I agree that DRM is stupid, but its not like you have to be online to play single player campaigns. You just need to authorize your game when you first install it. Then the lack of LAN. Yes, blizzard should have included LAN, which was what made their previous games great, but for the most part, this doesn't affect the majority of people who have internet. Besides, if enough people complained, i'm sure blizzard would give out LAN. They usually listen to their fans. I don't know where people get off saying this is a 1/3 of a game. Sure they focus only on one race, but with 30 missions, that's the amount of missions in the first starcraft. And why are people complaining about expansion packs? Blizzard has ALWAYS had expansion packs. Has anyone else complained about blizzard milking the francise with brood war. I'd personally rather play one race straight on in one game with 30 missions than playing only 10 missions having to wait for the next expansion pack to to play the new missions. Blizzard wasn't going to give out 90 missions in one game, that would be overkill and it would have delayed the game until 2012. I doubt the fans would want that. So the quality of the content is perfect. DRM and LAN are really technical features. They don't really count as game content so there is no reason to rate down the game (especially to 1 star) because of this. Expand
  74. HarrisL
    Jul 28, 2010
    I've read a lot of people say that Starcraft II is just Starcraft with a shiny new coat. First of all, Starcraft II is an incredibly balanced and beautiful successor to what used to be the best strategy game of all time, but as Blizzard proves with Starcraft II, Starcraft didn't need to be changed drastically. Starcraft II now replaces Starcraft as the best strategy game of all I've read a lot of people say that Starcraft II is just Starcraft with a shiny new coat. First of all, Starcraft II is an incredibly balanced and beautiful successor to what used to be the best strategy game of all time, but as Blizzard proves with Starcraft II, Starcraft didn't need to be changed drastically. Starcraft II now replaces Starcraft as the best strategy game of all time, and is one of the crowning achievements of the gaming industry. Expand
  75. GiovanniS
    Jul 28, 2010
    I'm from LA Region (Latin America) and from my perspective the game is really awsome. Blizzard investing in LA region is awsome also to plot us on the game scenary. Very good and dense game, the new units completely changed the way it is played compared to SC 1. Great game!
  76. someoneanonymous
    Jul 28, 2010
    Its sad how many people rated this game zero and some ridiculously low scores like that just out of envy and hate... first of all, there is no way, absolutely no way this game will get score bellow 9 if you are objective, because: 1. amazing optimized graphics 2. long campaign with many achievments and secrets 3. incredible multiplayer 4. world editor + mods + maps 5. incredible Its sad how many people rated this game zero and some ridiculously low scores like that just out of envy and hate... first of all, there is no way, absolutely no way this game will get score bellow 9 if you are objective, because: 1. amazing optimized graphics 2. long campaign with many achievments and secrets 3. incredible multiplayer 4. world editor + mods + maps 5. incredible cinematics and polish 6. top notch sound and music 7. battlenet etc etc so dont listen to haters... this is probably some guy who is mad other people are enjoying amazing game... this game is easily 9+/10 and in my book its 10/10. Expand
  77. MikeW
    Jul 28, 2010
    Best single player RTS ever. I now understand why they broke it out into three separate releases. I can't wait for the next two! A worthy successor. The game stays very close to the original formula, but tightens it up and enhances. The story telling is well done and riveting. It has by far the most in depth storyline of any RTS i've come across.
  78. Juraigamer
    Jul 28, 2010
    Great sequel to a great game. Does just about everything right, with community suggestions being heard and promises to add these items in the future. If you consider yourself a gamer, you need to play this game.
  79. BrianV
    Jul 28, 2010
    I am a hughe RTS fan, so i was realy looking forward too this game. Putting my excitement aside, i criticly spend a few hours of this game, and it is BRILLIANT. The main reason why this game deserves a 10/10 is because you can just see the amount of time put into this game! from the cutscenes, to different background pictures in every loading screen, to the interactive space between I am a hughe RTS fan, so i was realy looking forward too this game. Putting my excitement aside, i criticly spend a few hours of this game, and it is BRILLIANT. The main reason why this game deserves a 10/10 is because you can just see the amount of time put into this game! from the cutscenes, to different background pictures in every loading screen, to the interactive space between mission, it's brilliant!. There are some very minor issues: Gameplay isnt 100% 'smooth' as i was used to from c&c generals, but 80% with this gameplay is very fine too! I experienced some small bugs: sometimes when i start up for no reason at a random time i cannot click anything, and also: the alt-tab is very slow. These very minor ussues don't take away that this game has THE pure and perfected Starcraft RTS gameplay, with very good graphics and alot of time put into it. you get my 10/10 Blizzard! Expand
  80. DanielP
    Jul 28, 2010
    The game is just what the title implies, Starcraft 2.0. While some things like social features such as chat channels are missing (and presumably going to be added post-launch according to Blizzard.) the game has so much packed into it you can overlook anything Blizzard decided to let slide for launch. The game is just too damn fun, from the base building to the mini-wars taking place on The game is just what the title implies, Starcraft 2.0. While some things like social features such as chat channels are missing (and presumably going to be added post-launch according to Blizzard.) the game has so much packed into it you can overlook anything Blizzard decided to let slide for launch. The game is just too damn fun, from the base building to the mini-wars taking place on your screen. You will not need to purchase another RTS for months, maybe even years. Expand
  81. scottw
    Jul 28, 2010
    I could go on and on about what makes this game one of the best ever made. But I will make it short. Story 10/10. The amount of time put into is epic has the same effect with the story. Graphics 10/10. Rather on full or the lowest setting Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty is an enjoyable sight. Game play 10/10. It improves on the last game ending up with very similar game play but greater. I could go on and on about what makes this game one of the best ever made. But I will make it short. Story 10/10. The amount of time put into is epic has the same effect with the story. Graphics 10/10. Rather on full or the lowest setting Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty is an enjoyable sight. Game play 10/10. It improves on the last game ending up with very similar game play but greater. Replay10/10 Most of all that is going for this game, is that like the original. Its not going to fad any time soon. My overall score 10/10. Sure you could if you wanted pick at something. Games have to be fun and this game is that. Everything about how this game is made, is so the player is truly enjoying the experience. That is the bottom line. Expand
  82. BovineD
    Jul 28, 2010
    This game is brilliant. Ignore the couple of people who gave it a 0/10 rating because their PC is too slow to run it, system requirements aren't even that bad. Keeps everything that was great about SC1 and retains Blizzard's position as the world's premier RTS developer.
  83. MatV
    Jul 28, 2010
    I just love seeing the console fanboys and people with very old computers come on here to trash the game. If you actually played the single player you would have noticed that it is miles ahead what the orginal did. Great graphics, tons of upgrades, tons of stuff to toy around with, incredible attention to detail and a solid sequel to the first storyline. Now I know multiplayer isn't I just love seeing the console fanboys and people with very old computers come on here to trash the game. If you actually played the single player you would have noticed that it is miles ahead what the orginal did. Great graphics, tons of upgrades, tons of stuff to toy around with, incredible attention to detail and a solid sequel to the first storyline. Now I know multiplayer isn't for everyone. Why? Cause it is over the top competitive. But that is why it's there. To offer to the people who will plow trough the single player a way to elevate their game and match themselves against other starcraft addicts. Don't be jealous because you can't play the game or because you are bad at it. If you don't like it leave the fun to us. Expand
  84. JesseP
    Jul 28, 2010
    The definitive RTS. Anyone on the fence because they only included one race's campaign should lose their worries... the Terran campaign is far more expansive than any of Blizzard's previous RTSs. This is the new standard for RTS PC games to beat, and the new standard in attention to detail for everyone else.
  85. TimP
    Jul 28, 2010
    Ignore anyone who gives this less then a 10. They are just QQ noobs who lost in 1v1 multi-player and are here to QQ and whine cause they suck at the game. This game is the best game to come out in the past 10 years and a worthy successor of Starcraft Broodwar. Be prepared for a competitive Multi-player however and a epic Single player.
  86. TheNoise
    Jul 31, 2010
    With companies ruining the RTS genre by taking RTS elements out of gameplay a la Dawn of War or Company of Heroes (expansions), Blizzard comes out with what even the RTS purists would call a perfect strategy game. First and foremost this is a multilayer game, it is not for the weak as you will be crushed online. So be prepared to lose. But if you are prepared to learn and practice you With companies ruining the RTS genre by taking RTS elements out of gameplay a la Dawn of War or Company of Heroes (expansions), Blizzard comes out with what even the RTS purists would call a perfect strategy game. First and foremost this is a multilayer game, it is not for the weak as you will be crushed online. So be prepared to lose. But if you are prepared to learn and practice you will have the time of your life with this one. Multilayer retains all the qualities of the original Starcraft while polishing the interface even more. This is a perfect competitive RTS game. I have two gripes with the game though which is why it doesn't get the full 10 from me. Lack of LAN support may not be such a big issue except that because of the segregated region launch it is impossible to play the game with people from other continents. This limitation could have been resolved had blizzard included the LAN option (by use of a VPN or Ethernet bridge). For a game that is supposed to be the end all be all competitive RTS game it is a pretty serious omission to exclude LAN play. I understand the decision was motivated by the rampant piracy on PC but not including LAN does more to hurt paying legit customers then it will do to combat piracy. The other issue has to do with the privacy. Once you are on Battle.net there is no way to hide your gaming habits from your friends/family. If you invite someone to your battlenet messenger you can't go invisible. It is a pretty basic feature Blizzard failed to implement. Because you can only have one character on Battlenet you are pretty much forced to buy another game if you want to play ranked matches anonymously. I think $60 is a fair price for this game as it has a potential of providing countless hours of entertainment. Even the solid single player campaign, challenge system and achievements offer many hours of game play. The game lives up to the hype! For any RTS fan or a hard core gamer this game is a must have, despite it's issues which I hope will get resolved by Blizzard. Expand
  87. Sep 4, 2010
    It's a prettier starcraft, you play it just like the 1st one, only you can have unit groupings as big as you like. Oh, and terrans get very different equipment in Campaign mode, so when you switch over to multiplayer, you've got to rethink all your strategies.

Love the music and the new layout of in-between mission area.
  88. Aug 25, 2010
    There's a reason why renowned critics have given universally favorable reviews for Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty. It is simply one of the best PC gaming experiences out there, ever. With the "selling out" of many games to the more popular console system, there are very few companies left which truly devote the resources which the PC deserves above a console game. Blizzard, along with aThere's a reason why renowned critics have given universally favorable reviews for Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty. It is simply one of the best PC gaming experiences out there, ever. With the "selling out" of many games to the more popular console system, there are very few companies left which truly devote the resources which the PC deserves above a console game. Blizzard, along with a few other developers such as Sid Miers, are the last standing frontier of PC gaming out there.

The campaign from Wings of Liberty throws thirty-some missions at the player, with several additional mini-games or challenges thrown in the mix. There are a plethora of achievements. Although some users might complain that it's not "complete" since it only features thirty missions, the story and plot come to a climactic close, not just some cliff-hanger to sell the next expansion.

Graphics are good, but not anything great; Blizzard, for most part, caters to hard core gamers, except here, where they allowed WoL to run on a range of specs. Music and sound effects are grade A, it doesn't sound recycled from the past game and the sounds as well as voices are unique to the units and the characters you meet throughout your adventures.

Multiplayer is what truly caters to the needs of the hard-core. It's been intensively balanced, and has a new style of match making as well as a revamped Battle.net 2.0. Leagues and points systems attempt to ensure that players play against those of equal skill level or so, with the chance to play greater skilled opponents in order to promote into another league. Starcraft 2 has a great community; as of now, much of the DotA company (rude and mean) has not moved over into Starcraft 2. There are many new players who picked up the game who were dedicated WoW fans, but generally, they are mannered. The forums, as well as spin-off fan sites, offer a plethora of ways to communicate with the community. A rising phenomena is the commentary of the Pro-gaming series, as well as novice and amateur commentary of one's own replays, or replays of friends. After the release of Starcraft 2, there was an increase in scamming and phishing attempts however.

As for cons, there is no LAN, but fortunately there is offline play. You can have guests play on your computer, but only one battle.net account is allowed from a CD-Key. Zerg is never handled by the player; this leaves many new players playing Terran in multiplayer. You cannot change the set-up of the default keys (but there are four different sets including the original Broodwar setup) , but this is mainly to ensure an equal gaming environment.

In the end, if you are a PC gamer, it's almost unlikely that you've never heard of Starcraft. I suggest any PC gamer play this game, as it truly is the sequel to the best RTS of all time.
  89. Sep 1, 2010
    very good game.
    one of the best RTS games I played lately. It is designed for players whp like fast action RTS games. I'm a turtle player but still like the game. The graphics and sound are good. The single player story is good. The missions are fun to play and have divers goals (not every time kil everything on the map). The multiplayer is as good as the original.
  90. Sep 5, 2010
    An Amazing game that fans of the first game will love. The game plays very similarily to the first one but with a wide array of new features and units. Amazing story and cinematics as is to be expected from blizzard is always a plus. 9/10 for an amazing come back to one of the greatest games ever made.
  91. Sep 7, 2010
    SC2 is all about the online multiplayer. It was a disappointing campaign compared to previous Blizzard games. The matchmaking system is okay, but overly simplistic. A brand new player may end up playing against veterans of hundreds of games in the Platinum league simply by winning all their placement matches.

The races are not yet balanced. In 1v1 terran > zerg, zerg > protoss. Zerg has

The races are not yet balanced. In 1v1 terran > zerg, zerg > protoss. Zerg has a definite disadvantage in team games as well. Hopefully this will change when the expansion comes out. The game gets an 8 because of the terran imbalance, the lack of LAN play, and the lack of many battlenet 1 features that they stripped out.
  92. Sep 9, 2010
    Finished this game right down to all 3 achievements per mission - point is I really played this game. And the verdict? PROS: Excellent game and a worthy successor to Starcraft 1. It retains enough of the original Starcraft 1 look and feel so as to make you feel comfortable - and yet it is still different enough to be challenging and exciting. Graphics are bigger, more detailedFinished this game right down to all 3 achievements per mission - point is I really played this game. And the verdict? PROS: Excellent game and a worthy successor to Starcraft 1. It retains enough of the original Starcraft 1 look and feel so as to make you feel comfortable - and yet it is still different enough to be challenging and exciting. Graphics are bigger, more detailed and sparkle, especially if you have a good video card (I use a 9800GT). There are 29 missions overall and they are balanced excellent, always challenging, and the achievement system makes for great replay. Also, many new units added for all races, other units have evolved, lots of new stuff to learn. And you can rotate the game left and right a bit by pushing Insert & Delete buttons - definitely a much more 3D look to the game. Loved the plot, loved the cinematics. A lot of work put into this title - the usual Blizzard level of quality. CONS: Why I didn't give a ten is because of the need to always be online to play this game. I think maybe Blizzard has gone overboard in its efforts to stop piracy. Playing this game is like when you play a game thru Steam. Warning: If you are playing the game and Battle.net goes down, be aware that you can only get achievements if you are connected to Battle.net. And I wish they had allowed LAN play, but you can still play with friends or someone else at home thru Battle.net, you just create the game non-public and you each need your own battle.net account. Hoping the next installments to this title won't be too expensive, and am sure they will be excellent campaigns also. Expand
  93. Sep 24, 2010
    The criticism is from most people is understandable. Battle.net 2.0 is nothing but restrictive, the campaign was okay (in an old-school rts type of way) but had a terrible plot, and you get the chance to pay for two expansions with similar, lacking content. But the multiplayer in SC2 is just really, really solid and fun. New players may find it a bit daunting, and rts fans may complainThe criticism is from most people is understandable. Battle.net 2.0 is nothing but restrictive, the campaign was okay (in an old-school rts type of way) but had a terrible plot, and you get the chance to pay for two expansions with similar, lacking content. But the multiplayer in SC2 is just really, really solid and fun. New players may find it a bit daunting, and rts fans may complain that the little change in 12 years is nothing but a rehash, it is still a great multiplayer game. The strategies in 1v1s are very diverse, and the old school system may be hard to learn, but really interesting once you've mastered it. The new unit additions add more depth, or revamp some of the lacking choices and opportunities of the factions that occured in Brood War. Expand
  94. Sep 29, 2010
    While all turn based games lack the big adrenaline rush you get from 1st person shooter types, in its category Starcraft II lacks nothing. The missions are challenging, some very much so, and the growing stockpile of mercenaries and weapons allow for multiple and variable solutions to each episode. The story line is compelling and the action is moved along by the A.I. fluidly. Once playWhile all turn based games lack the big adrenaline rush you get from 1st person shooter types, in its category Starcraft II lacks nothing. The missions are challenging, some very much so, and the growing stockpile of mercenaries and weapons allow for multiple and variable solutions to each episode. The story line is compelling and the action is moved along by the A.I. fluidly. Once play begins you are engrossed in completing the mission(s) and the hours slip by unnoticed. This is an extremely satisfying game. Expand
  95. Dec 4, 2011
    To those like me who had not played Starcraft, first of the name what I can say is that Starcraft 2 is a really enjoyable RTS set in a dystopian futuristic universe. The campaign is a well-crafted way to get into the story but maybe a little short (although alternative missions and achievements makes it a re-playable game). There is a great diversity of units with unique playing style forTo those like me who had not played Starcraft, first of the name what I can say is that Starcraft 2 is a really enjoyable RTS set in a dystopian futuristic universe. The campaign is a well-crafted way to get into the story but maybe a little short (although alternative missions and achievements makes it a re-playable game). There is a great diversity of units with unique playing style for each race, so lots of strategy to try in Battlenet: the core of the game.
    The criticisms I could make: no out of the box possibility to play LAN so better have a good internet connection and then lots of trouble playing a multiplayer game online without constant lagging. Also I agree with those saying that the music, voice acting etc. could have been better.
  96. Oct 8, 2010
    A great game, another great product made by blizzard.I wish the solo campaign was longer but it just makes me want the next one even more. Be prepared to constantly multitask when playing online matches, I would advise reading up on strategies and watching videos on you tube it helps. There is a custom made game for anyone online.
  97. Oct 12, 2010
    Tries too hard to be better than the 1st one and the multiplayer doesn't really do it for me. Don't get me wrong, i think it's a great game and I gave it a 9, but as a sequal, the multiplayer was a little dissapointing. They took away most of my favorite units and replaced them with less powerful units. The single player is fantastic, i really like how they set it up, so that reallyTries too hard to be better than the 1st one and the multiplayer doesn't really do it for me. Don't get me wrong, i think it's a great game and I gave it a 9, but as a sequal, the multiplayer was a little dissapointing. They took away most of my favorite units and replaced them with less powerful units. The single player is fantastic, i really like how they set it up, so that really saves them for my score, but the multiplayer just doesn't seem as fun for me as the original...which is the only reason i docked a point. i'd give 8.5 if i could though. Expand
  98. Oct 14, 2010
    Ok so Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty aint anything new for RTS but hell do any of you know what it takes to creat flawless gameplay? I mean you all got to remember Starcraft was and still is one of their best works there wasn't a real need to change much. The graphics alone is what people wanted out of Starcraft and Broodwar. And not to mention Blizzard sets standards to the highest andOk so Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty aint anything new for RTS but hell do any of you know what it takes to creat flawless gameplay? I mean you all got to remember Starcraft was and still is one of their best works there wasn't a real need to change much. The graphics alone is what people wanted out of Starcraft and Broodwar. And not to mention Blizzard sets standards to the highest and makes games that don't need tons and tons of patches. All those that give the game less than a 7 need to realize you put your standards too high. Why recreate the wheel on this beautiful game? ALL RTS's are just about the same no matter what. Look at all the Diablo games not much changed from Diablo to Diablo 2 or that matter of Diablo 2 LOD. Diablo 3 is going to be just about the same just better graphics, new characters, and maps. Starcraft 2 Wings of Liderty should get at least a 7 but I give it a 9 for the fact its beautifuly made flawless and the few new things it brings to the table for other RTS's out there need to compete with. Blizzard is the best company out there hands down and I barely play anyother games out there from other companies. In fact I want to work for Blizzard once I get out of collage because I want to set a new bar with RPG's/MMORPG's. Blizzard themselves ARE THE BEST! Expand
  99. Feb 14, 2011
    Over 10 years ago I was introduced to Warcraft II. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty is one of the best RTS money can buy but that doesnâ
  100. Nov 26, 2010
    After years of development, it's finally here. The visuals are sharp, the sound is punchy and the plot at the heart of the single player campaign does a fine job of setting the scene for the next installment in the planned SC2 trilogy. The multiplayer aspect of the first game remains one of the most highly competitive RTS titles in history and Blizzard saw fit to craft a sequel whichAfter years of development, it's finally here. The visuals are sharp, the sound is punchy and the plot at the heart of the single player campaign does a fine job of setting the scene for the next installment in the planned SC2 trilogy. The multiplayer aspect of the first game remains one of the most highly competitive RTS titles in history and Blizzard saw fit to craft a sequel which measures up to the lofty standards set by its predecessor. Fast, fun and functional... the only issues stem from some minor balance issues pertaining to the weakness of the Zerg species. However, Blizzard has already released numerous patches to address this issue and looks to continue supporting SC2 for the forseeable future. Starcraft 2 is here... and it's about time! Expand

1. Jan 18, 2011
    "Quotation Forthcoming"
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    If you are into real time strategy in any form, it's hard to ignore Starcraft II.
  3. Dec 24, 2010
    Perfectly balanced multiplayer with old school elements intact, and rich and dynamic single player campaigns. [Issue#244, p.102]