8.9

1. May 31, 2011
    Amazing Sim/RTS. So much fun and personality. Two minor problems for me: steep learning curve (the manual is useless) and, like many of these earlier types of games, no pause. Grrr... The world is so beautiful, sometimes I just want to sit back for a minute and admire it without pressure. 10 years later and this game makes most other games of it's type look like amateur hour. FairlyAmazing Sim/RTS. So much fun and personality. Two minor problems for me: steep learning curve (the manual is useless) and, like many of these earlier types of games, no pause. Grrr... The world is so beautiful, sometimes I just want to sit back for a minute and admire it without pressure. 10 years later and this game makes most other games of it's type look like amateur hour. Fairly deep strategy and wonderful personality. I actually had more success learning and enjoying the game by starting in on a sandbox game rather than the 'tutorial' missions -- just set everything on easy and it's a great way to learn. ("easy' settings were in patch 1.1 I believe). Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2010
    One must expect issues in game-play when you pick things up nine years after their creation. However, Startopia's design is streamlined enough that when you DO have to micromanage, it feels tense and gripping instead of tedious. The game is gorgeous when you look at what it had to work with. I lost hours and hours playing this, mesmerized by the dropping energy levels and hoping that myOne must expect issues in game-play when you pick things up nine years after their creation. However, Startopia's design is streamlined enough that when you DO have to micromanage, it feels tense and gripping instead of tedious. The game is gorgeous when you look at what it had to work with. I lost hours and hours playing this, mesmerized by the dropping energy levels and hoping that my neighbors don't hack into my space...

Anyhow, what a joy. The main game is only ten or so levels, and I was relieved to hit it and be freed from the compelling, addictive game-play. Bravo, Muckyfoot, you did well. RIP.
  3. Jun 13, 2012
    Very enjoyable, good humoured, aliens and robots with more character than most *people*... The level of space station management is perfect to engage the player and keep them hooked for many hours or enjoyment. Highly recommend.
  4. Jul 28, 2012
    Humorous, complex and extremely addictive - that, in short is what good, old Startopia is. I can't think about better game of this kind and I still play it sometimes today!
  5. Ndi
    May 28, 2013
    This game is among the titans when it comes to economic games. Excellent premise, excellent graphics, humorous, and, above all, incredibly complex.

I'd give blood to see it updated or picked up again, alas, with the departure of Muckyfoot I am left with some W7 incompatibility. There is literally nothing that can be said about this game that is bad (except it sometimes crashes on

There is literally nothing that can be said about this game that is bad (except it sometimes crashes on W7). Everything is well balanced, sandbox is fun, challenges are fun, the amount of freedom is incredible and there are no two games alike, and ALL without needing an infinite universe like other games.
  6. Sep 8, 2013
    My favorite economic simulation game of all time. Fun on so many levels not seen in todays dumbed-down world of generic and unoriginal games. Try this game (even in 2013) for a breath of fresh air!
  7. Oct 12, 2013
    Unique manager type game and this one really pleasant for me. I hope someday I can see a sequel or a similar game. I enjoyed the time what I spent to this game.
  8. Nov 7, 2013
    I find it really sad that today only few people remember this game, a lot of developers could learn from this great work, it's level of complexity is, at least for me, not comparable
  9. Sep 21, 2014
    If you liked The Sims, Simcity Series, or any other people simulator-based worlds, then Startopia opens new doors for alien simulation with great comedy and very very entertaining. I gave this a 10 - point rating after recently installing this on my new computer more than 15 years after its release! Runs on Macintosh also if you use help guides online!

1. There is a bevy of great characters that course throughout the game, making it ever intriguing and solid fun.
  2. Very playable and is sure to get your attention. However, the relatively small number of mission, and the occasionally dull atmosphere may cause that attention to become short-lived…
  3. A game of amazing polish and humor, which translates into pure fun.