6.8

1. Dec 8, 2013
    We've had a renaissance of amazing platformers in recent years: Spelunky, Terraria, Braid, Cave Story, and so on. Steamworld: Dig is nowhere near these games. While it borrows mechanics from many other platformers, the whole is far less than the sum of its parts. The game is cluttered with unnecessary abilities, a very repetitive environment (it's just one big mineshaft...), and frustrating inconsistent mechanics (TNT barrels!) As if the digging didn't feel repetitive enough, the game limits your supply of "light", a resource that serves no other purpose than to make you walk all the way back to town periodically.

It's really unfair to compare this to the pantheon of top-notch platformers, as so many reviewers have. It's nowhere near that level. It's a passable game on its own, but man, there's way better games out there. If you're looking to waste a few hours, you could do worse than Steamworld: Dig. But you could do a lot better, too.
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    Great game! My first playthrough lasted for over 7 hours and I loved it all the way through. There's a real feel of progression in this game as you start just under the surface with a simple mining pick and end up way down with some cool abilities.

While the game remains challenging all the way through, I would have appreciated some hard boss encounters.
  3. Jan 23, 2014
    I enjoyed this game, honestly, but 10$ for 3 hours ! And most of these 3 hours are really repetitive. Yeah, you unlock many different upgrades, but the game design is always the same, dig dig dig, find 3 different challenge rooms in the level, plus some optional extra challenge rooms, and go to the next level.
    This game will get maybe an 8 if it was at least 5/6 hours long, but 3 hours is
    really too short. Starting a game and finishing it in one try is not good enough for me, mostly when mechanics are that repetitive. Expand
  4. Dec 7, 2013
    Really fun, detailed and thought through platformer. Precise destribution of upgrades, nice graphics and entertaining levels will not let you get bored. Played it for 6 straight hours back on 3DS and did so on PC too!
  5. Jan 21, 2014
    Great Game, why you include a critics rating of under 80 percent without a quote, dragging this game under 80 and therefore out of the consideration of thousands of potential buyers is beyond me.
  6. Feb 23, 2014
    SteamWorld Dig is a pretty good platformer. It has some puzzle solving elements in secret areas. Leveling-up is not a grind, but the game is a bit too short.

1. May 11, 2014
    With a bit more length and better combat, SteamWorld Dig could've been fighting with the big boys of indie platforming for the top spot. Still, it's a fun, addictive and original platformer, and I really wish it gets a sequel. [Feb 2014]
    Terraria-like experience suited for the lone wolves in the gaming crowd. More suited for being enjoyed on the go. [Issue #240]
  3. Mar 4, 2014
    SteamWorld Dig is an extract of pure fun from discovering the space beneath our feet. You are going to tremble, rejoice or erupt with anger down there, but unfortunately, your emotions won't last long. The game lacks features as well as value.