7.3

1. Jan 24, 2013
    Backed this on Kickstarter. Thought it might tide me over a bit until Star Citizen is released... it has failed to do so even in the first 2 days.

I come from the Wing Commander / X-Wing / Tie-Fighter / Freespace 2 ilk. I know what a difficult game is. I used to get so frustrated with X-Wings save game system, where my character's progression would be permanently lost on a failed
    mission (and being picked up by the empire), that I used to "backup" my saved game file at the end of each mission to a floppy to keep it safe! The difficulty of those games, introduced some frustration, but when you actually passed the missions, you knew that it was mainly down to your improved skill as a space fighter pilot and it was immensely satisfying. Strike Suit Zero is difficult... stupidly difficult... "I want to chainsaw my PC in two kinda difficult". When I do eventually pass some of the tougher missions... I don't feel a sense of progression and achievement... I feel like I just want to get the game over with so I can see the probable disappointing ending and just be done with the game!

I feel so deflated, as this game really had the potential to be incredible, but ended up falling way short. The graphics are pretty decent, in terms of the ship models at least. The space background "vista's" are indeed pretty, but they're absolutely STATIC! I thought that Born Ready Games wanted our KickStarter money to apply all the necessary layers of polish to really make the game shine!? The menu UI feels lacklustre, the HUD elements look tacked on, like some ASCII / ASSEMBLER developer designed them in his spare time. The upgrades are attained by very "arcadey" means... i.e. "Kill x frigates" to get energy upgrade. I don't think I suck at the game, but I'm on level 10 and I have only achieved 2 of the upgrades so far. I'm beginning to think that the upgrades are essential for later levels, as I'm on mission 10 and hopelessly stuck... having tried it over 10 times! The mission designs are HORRIBLE! They're BASED on the assumption that you WILL die, and therefore at those check points you will be restored with full health and full missiles to have a better attempt at making it through the mission. What a terribly lazy mechanic for mission progression, either that or I just suck at the game... but I don't think so, I'm no Luke Skywalker, but I've shot my fair share of Womp Rats with my T-16 back home. I simply have no more motivation to continue playing the game. It has beaten me into submission like a cotton-field slave master and I've simply had enough...

Argh... I'm ranting now, I'll leave it there. Born Ready Games? Strike Suit Zero is more reminiscent of something stillborn. So much hope and expectation for it's entry into the world, but unfortunately all it brought with it, is heartache and tears.
  2. Jan 28, 2013
    Soundtrack is phenomenal, the graphics are great, the backdrops (while static) are absolutely amazing. The voice acting reminds me of BSG characters, and the gameplay is absolutely addictive. I haven't been this pulled in by a flight shooter in a long time. The only other game I can think of is Descent 2. The original H.A.W.X. comes to mind, as well (in terms of fun).

Don't listen to
    the haters who can't handle the difficulty curve. The game isn't buggy, it's not unpolished, the UI isn't terrible (in fact, it's REALLY good!), these people are just spoiled by all the newschool games out there. This game is hard as nails and it harkens back to a time when games were meant to take more than a handful of tries to advance. If you loved Asteroids back in the day, played Descent like a crackhead, and loved spending pockets worth of quarters in the arcade--then this game is a no-brainer purchase for you. If, instead, you like to **** about how hard games are because they don't tell you where everything is/exactly how to beat the level, then maybe pass this one up and go buy Hello Kitty: Island Adventure or Smurfs & Co. instead. Strike Suit Zero is for gamers who actually want to be challenged by their games. The game has excellent keyboard/mouse controls, superb gamepad support and (my favorite) outstanding joystick support. I've been playing this with my Logitech Extreme Force 3D PRO and the experience is awesome. WARNING: The already hard game gets a lot harder when you use a joystick, but for fly-boys of old who aren't afraid of that, it's an awesome experience. If you have a Nostromo/n52/n52te keypad to go along with your joystick, then you're about to have one sick, specialized peripheral romp in space mecha wonderland. 10/10 best $16 I've spent in a long time. Expand
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    Really good fun - pretty standard space shooter but its been a while since one came around I actually enjoyed! A little light on the story and pretty simple if nice graphics and sound - but hey, its cheap and its fun!
  4. Jan 23, 2013
    The leaves maybe a little repetitive but the game-play just blows that away. I do not know what all the other reviews mean when there say its frustrating because I am not finding that. The game is a good challenge and if you are looking for a Nostalgia kick or a good space sim this is the game for you.
  5. Jan 27, 2013
    I really want to love Strike Suit Zero.. I really do.. But I just can't. The first few missions are okay and the story isn't that complex but then again why should it? It's an arcade shooter. The soundtrack is great and I've spent quite the time listening to it.

But the game itself. There are so many tiny problems in it that it makes me think that the dev team didn't even make a test
    on the gameplay itself because it's very VERY annoying at times. I'll try to list some:

Your allies are incompetent. If you get a mission to destroy a cruiser, your allies are incompetent of making it possible for you to do it. Meaning that there's a swarm of interceptors flying around you at all times. You cannot target them using the "Target Closest" -keybind because that bind ALLWAYS targets mission objectives first.

The camera thrashes and crashes around every time you get shot. That means it thrashes and crashes around all the time! If you ask me, it would had been better if your vision wasn't obstructed by this when you still have any shield left.

Enemy accuracy is pinpoint. The guys on these railguns sure did play alot of instagib Q3 judging by the way how good shots they are. This doesn't apply only on capital ship guns but regular enemies as well.

Line of sight is VERY limited. You can't see **** The game doesn't tell you from what direction you are shot at from or who is shooting at you. These small pieces of information would make it much less frustrating. I would also like a small flashing light in the UI if someone is targetting me.

Checkpoint placing is horrible. There is a mission where you first have to destroy multiple corvettes, then wipe off interceptors, then defend your capital ship from two cruisers and destroy them and THEN go against a huge carrier. This all takes some time and if you die in the last part you gotta do the whole thing again.

Strike Mode is useful when you need firepower but it's slow as hell and the dashing doesn't help you evade anything except missiles. In Strike Mode you can hover still in the air, but in Pursuit Mode you can't stay put. Ship handling is horrible. Your craft turns as if it was a tank and the enemy craft seem to be alot more agile than you are.

You are constantly moving forward. You have brakes though but they don't stop you. I thought it would be possible to turn off your engines and let your craft hover onward while you are targetting something else but no. You are allways moving into the direction you are aming which usually makes destroying stationary objects impossible

I like the game. The setting, the crafts, the graphics.. It's just these things that make me lose my mind. I really REALLY want to play this game alot and I do but I allways end up being angry.

TL;DR: Lots of good ideas but just as many bad parts. I've played worse games with higher price.
  6. Jan 23, 2013
    Space? Check. Giant ships? Check. Transforming death-spitting robots? Got that too.
    Chances are that if you enjoyed any of the Ace Combat series or had fun watching mecha anime, you'll lap this up. The first thing that will strike you is the graphics; for an indie offering they are excellent and really lend themselves to the game and it's mechanics. The gameplay is generally good
    although the difficulty curve will be very sharp for players not used to flight games, but after you clear that initial fence you'll be having a whale of a time blasting down those darn colonists. The story is the usual objective based bibble, "Save /destroy the X to defeat/save the Y", but you can forgive it as the game would suffer if it were dialogue heavy
    That said the game otherwise is an excellent indie offering that deserves your consideration for being fun, challenging and the only one of it's kind for long time. (*sigh* where did all the mechs go?)
  7. Jan 25, 2013
    I backed this on kickstarter and find myself deeply underwhelmed. How someone can make a transforming space mecha combat game feel dull and repetitive is beyond me. I think I actually enjoyed the space combat sections of Star Wars:The Old Republic more than this,and that is truly damning it with faint praise. Things that made me uninstall the game after 3 hours-
    -Narrow Field of
    Vision,Between 40 and 57 degrees are something I never want to see as my options. 70-80 make the bare comfortable minimum for me. It also makes space combat feel cramped and confusing .
    -Awful handling on the ships. The two birds I got to fly in this game both handled like WWII fighters in space, they seem to lack fine maneuverability and the game gives you few options rather than charging head on at a capital ships guns and then the ships poor handling rakes off all your shields as you scrape along the hull.
    -Repetitive mission design. Escort this, Go here kill X amount of fighter or turrets, don't let your ridiculously incompetent squadron mates die. The missions are boring, and most of the time failure is caused by allied AI incompetence.
    -Strike Suit Mode, rather than feeling like a powerful and useful transformation turns you into a sitting duck. The only thing I found it truly useful for was rapidly targeting enemy torpedoes to protect a capital ship and taking out clusters of fighters. Both of which feel like mundane baby-sitting level tasks.
  8. Jan 24, 2013
    I helped kickstart Strike Suit Zero, with hopes of a game in the style of Freespace 2. I'll tell you now, if you are hoping for something on the level of Freespace 2 (Also there is no open world gameplay, all linear missions, so don't come here looking for that), Strike Suit Zero comes up far short. The game presents an adequate aesthetic visually and musically, though the voice acting is clearly phoned in, the story is completely generic and forgettable, and missions are repetitive. There is no multiplayer to speak of and the modding tools are yet to be released, through have been promised. The difficulty varies from a complete joke to insanely frustrating. The frustration of the game stems not from the AI being challenging, or even challenging objectives, it comes often from the fact your AI allies are almost always useless,that the enemy has a habit of focusing most of its fire on you (With almost pinpoint accuracy and projectiles that often cause your screen to shake wildly), and your given extremely time limited objectives to kill enemies or protect something at the drop of a hat, with failure resulting in mission failure. You'll be faced with infinitely spawning enemies that appear just out of your sight but already in range to fire on you, objectives that are far out of range and place you in a position without what little support allies offer, and objectives that your current ship or weapons leave you woefully unprepared for (This isn't Freespace 2, no detailed tactical briefs before missions, just trial and error). Another issue is that you have such a limited supply of rockets or missiles (No resupply besides a new mission or dying) for certain missions you can't use them for anything except for objectives that are time sensitive. Of course, you could always die and go back to the checkpoint, for a full refill on ammo and health (Probably because balance and pacing was not tweaked properly so this was the developers answer to make sure you can make progress). Often in cases where the enemies never end, you'll have access to your Strike Suit, which is pretty much a requirement to even hope to beat such missions. It unfortunately fails to make you feel powerful when you realize you have to use it and it only lets you keep up with the pace of the infinitely spawning enemies, who can still tear you to pieces while in Strike Suit mode. While Strike suit mode sounds cool on paper, this implementation leaves much to be desired. The checkpoint system is also flawed, placing checkpoints far back, often up to a quarter of an hour back in the mission, making the game feel more repetitive. While a fair attempt on the part of the developers, Strike Suit Zero doesn't present anything that hasn't been done before and done better by older games. Maybe some patches or DLC can fix some of the issues, but as it stands I would not recommend this game to anyone. Instead, I recommend acquiring a copy of Freespace 2, updating it with the Freespace 2 Source Code Project (Which greatly improves and already great game), and enjoying the rich experience offered by the game and its mods. Expand
  9. Feb 22, 2013
    One of the worst games of 2013 so far. Every mission is a "protect fat idiot" mission, every battle is a cluster*k, visual effects are too bright/dense and are messing with visibility, upgrade system is idiotic (considering how unhandy controls are), inadequate checkpoints.

Props for backgrounds, graphic and music
  10. Jan 23, 2013
    Haven't had this much fun in an action space combat game since Colony Wars on the PS one. Lots of action and some fantastic colourful graphics. Weapons feel fantastic and youll love the missiles. Favourite features include the strike suit mode and the targeting system for your main guns. Very useful system insuring you hit the target instead of spraying wildly into space.
  11. Jan 24, 2013
    For a small dev team and funding these guys made a great game. Has great replay value and enough hours to keep you going for 15-20 easy. The combat is very clear and the controls are smooth. The graphics are just stunning. To think this game from a small studio is shocking. The game is fantastic and I recommend it to everyone into the space sims type of game.
  12. Jan 24, 2013
    I bought strike suit zero with the hopes of a good space sim, while it's not horrendously bad it lacks some serious polishing. Let's start with controls: Controls are clunky(I'm playing on keyboard&mouse). I'm not talking about adjusting mouse sensibility etc. controls are clunky in general. Also, something that annoyed me to no end is you can't come to a complete halt with your ship. You just can't! Developers didn't added it to the game. Best you can do is slow down from your speed from "fast" to "moderate". Because of the lack of a full stop feature you will end up crashing you to bigger ships all the time. Turrets also take a long time to destroy(you end up using your whole energy and it might still be intact) and since YOU CAN'T COME TO A FULL STOP you just have to barrage a turret, move away from the ship, return and attack it again. It gets very boring after a while. Ally AI is horrible. They're barely cannon fodder worthy. You'll be fighting alone almost all the time. Especially in some missions when you'll be flying a bomber where ally ai is suppose to cover you, you'll tear your own hair apart because while the only bomber is under attack from 8 different fighters, ally pilots are doing god knows what. Missions, missions are pretty generic. I bought this game thinking i was getting something similar to the freespace 2. While there are some similarities, overall, game is falling short. Strike suit is not that fascinating. If i could compare a gun to the strike suit, normal mode would be a pistol and strike mode would be burst fire mode. Targeting has similar problems. There is not a key to target someone that's shooting you. You end up trying to turn around to find him(while moving, yes no full stop) You can target the ship closest to you but the same key is used for choosing mission objective targets so it's useless when there is a target objective in the map(which is very common). Also, missions are pretty much "go there blow that" and they sometimes add a time limit, that's it. Missions start&end briefings are a nice touch but they're not detailed. There is no rearming while you're in the mission. Main guns lack the power to take down ships in the allocated time to complete objective so you end up using the missiles as a supplement. If you used those missiles for something else, too bad, restart from checkpoint. On the plus side, music is not bad, visuals are good. For 15$ this game is not bad, but approach it knowing its bad sides. Expand
  13. Jan 24, 2013
    With great music, a polished and easy to use set of controls this game is really amazing for a KickStarter funded project. If you ever wanted to play as an interceptor in a HomeWorld game, now is your chance :)
  14. Jan 24, 2013
    Considering it is an indie game, it's a pretty well done space fighter sim. The thing that impressed me most was the graphics - not just the fx, but they actually implemented support for nVidia surround properly. A lot of games these days allow for the resolution and the GUI is usually broken, but this game has an option to constrain hud/gui to the center monitor. It supports using an xbox controller, and it's highly recommended to do so.

Targetting and weapons loadout is a bit over-simplistic, and the missions are pretty much only destroy and intercept variety. It has great potential for improvement with dlc.
  15. Jan 25, 2013
    Solid 7 - it never reaches the height of Colony Wars and isn't a serious space sim - but as a shooter its solid fun - once you get past the first few missions and get a Mech that is!
  16. Jan 25, 2013
    I have only played a couple of hours so far but for an indie game (people need to remember that!) this is pretty well done. Sure the story is pretty boring...the voice acting atrocious but if you just want to shoot things out of the sky and admire the lovely graphics and explosions than you can't really go wrong with this.
  17. Jan 26, 2013
    Strike Suite Zero is the game i've been waiting for! As a avid space simulator fan this have come as a great surprise since i discovered it on kickstarter. The game has a deep atmospheric value and you got to give kudos to the production crew on bringing us such great graphics, sound and fx! The game puts you as a new pilot that somehow will have a major role on a big galactic war, thanks to the awesome strike suite that you can control in some game missions. Oh that ship is awesome, a type of tranformer that can morph into a mech type mode and deliver great destruction at a short period of time. Also the game is quite challengin, but if you get the hang of ship controls mechanic it will be hours of challenging dogfights that this type of game really needs! Awesome game, Awesome graphics and values! Hope we will get lots of product feedback on this game! Thanks for reading! Expand
  18. Jan 27, 2013
    All in all, it is a fun and really challenging game. The one major frustration I've found with this game is the targeting system. You only have two options when selecting a target. It's either the closest target or what's in front of you.

This simply isn't enough for some of the harder mission where you are required to take certain actions such as shooting down torpedoes or destroying
    certain turrets. With so many things going on in the screen, it's almost impossible to pick the right target. Expand
  19. Feb 4, 2013
    While the graphics are not up-to-date and the difficulty may seem unfair at different points, I am still having quite a lot of fun with this game.
    The concept of having to replay old missions to unlock essential upgrades is not really optimal as it breaks up the storyline before you even have it finished, but finally getting that upgrade is really satisfying.

The game is also demanding
    some skills as you constantly have to switch between weapons, adjust your throttle, evade missiles/gunfire and master the strike mode with completely different controls, but that's actually a good thing. Expand
  20. Feb 4, 2013
    You know, this game is something else. I am at a loss of words at how much I couldn't even like this game. And really, I just tried so hard. To be honest, I couldn't even finish the darn thing. Yes, it is indeed difficult. But I can handle difficulty. It just wasn't fun. I got to about the 10th mission, died twice and said I was done. This was of course after a long series of deaths and persistence. As previous reviewers mentioned before, I just couldn't feel that sense of accomplishment. Not to mention it is indeed about 90% escort missions. It's hard enough killing so many large fleets without having to worry about them shooting at other things besides yourself. The true point of missing game play here is the fact that you're required to hit so many targets at once, in such a quick manner, and without enough firepower. The strike suit does indeed have capabilities of putting a large number of targets down quickly, if you are skilled. But even with that, I just couldn't get to the point of being "AWESOME" at this game. No matter what tactics I used, or however many tricks I had up my sleeve, I just couldn't best this game. The only way I could win was persistence to the end. Trying the same thing over and over a little different each time. It got really old, really fast.

In the way of graphics I couldn't say the visuals were stunning. They were about mediocre to me. Perhaps my expectations were high but I just didn't see what all the fuss is about. On another point people mentioned that the audio was really something. Now I don't know if we were listening to the same game but I couldn't handle the audio. The songs were short, looped constantly, and overall rather distasteful. Someone mentioned when you actually get play the strike suit for the first time the music is awesome. I'm not hearing it really. It was one of the most annoying songs I have ever heard in an epic moment like that. So once again, disappointed. And finally the story line is so terribly put together, that I'm not even drawn into it. It has a really bland flavor that feels like a cheap knock off to so many others. There are gaps in the logic of it as well. Especially if you die, some of the death "debrief" messages give away some key points in the game before you even reach that point in the story. Fail.

Although this game isn't a total failure, it had some key points that made me say "hey that's pretty neat." (which was 90% firepower capability based) But even then, it wasn't enough to really make me go head over heels with it. It's my kinda game, my kinda genre, and my kinda style. But I wasn't amused at all. I hate to be so negative to this game but honestly I can't say otherwise. If I were given this game for free, I would've been disappointed in the end. I really found it that distasteful. I walk away, ashamed, frustrated, and not even the slightest interested in it at all. This game has actually been one of the only games ever that I never even wanted to finish. It's probably 1 of 2. Sad face
  21. Feb 3, 2013
    If you fancy flying a space-ship with no breaks, unlimited ammo, insane amount of HP all while having toilet rolls glued to your eyelids, this is a game for you. Oh and, don't expect any actual mecha-combat when you jump in and play. Tutorial is a few hours followed by god knows how much grind before you can even unlock the first ship for it and by then, you'd already be bored to death from the laughable voice-acting and MMO grind quests IN THE SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN. Expand
  22. Jan 28, 2013
    I was hesitant to buy this game because it wasnt getting glowing reviews and after buying it I can somewhat see where a few of the negative reviews are coming from but overall I think this is a GREAT game. The negative aspects that I feel are somewhat justified are that the missions are a bit too long and it can be a difficult game at times, but I feel like in Dark Souls that kind of difficulty is what makes this game good in a way. If it was any easier I think people would be crying its too easy, and you can replay the missions with different types of ships so if you want to increase difficulty you could always use a less powerful ship and in turn it would make the mission more difficult. Now having said the negative aspects, I think we can all agree the game looks absolutely gorgeous! It has amazing graphics and I really, really enjoy the game play. I think one of the most accurate video reviews was the one made by Gamespot and how they said it can be somewhat slow until you get your Strike-suit but then it goes full speed and never looks back, I would totally agree with that assessment and would go as far to say the slowness at the beginning is required for learning to play it well. I also think it has a pretty great story line, but maybe that's just me. I have really missed the good games this genre had been putting out in the past like Wing Commander and if you ever liked any of the Wing Commander-like games then I think you will love this game. I can truly say I am glad I bought this game and will enjoy playing it for many days to come. Expand
  23. Feb 3, 2013
    The first hour alone was worth the price of admission. A game controller is a must! I highly prefer first person views in general, and the game supports it very well via visual and audio/voice cues. It's so nice to have roll control.
  24. Jul 14, 2013
    DON'T LISTEN TO THE CRITICS! THAT ARE SO FULL OF ****
    LISTEN UP, THIS IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SEXY GRAPHICS OF SPACE, WITH InTenSE!!! AND I MEAN INTENSEEEEE ACTION SHOOTING LIKE A MOTHER FOR 6 HOURS STRAIGHT TRYING TO BEAT IT, YOUR MONEY IS ALREADY WELL WORTH IT. EVEN A HAPPY MEAL CAN'T EVEN MATCH UP TO WHAT YOU GET!
  25. Jan 27, 2013
    All the bad things you've readI bought strike suit zero with the hopes of a good space sim, while it's not horrendously bad it lacks some serious polishing. Let's start with controls: Controls are clunky(I'm playing on keyboard&mouse). I'm not talking about adjusting mouse sensibility etc. controls are clunky in general. Also, something that annoyed me to no end is you can't come to a complete halt with your ship. You just can't! Developers didn't added it to the game. Best you can do is slow down from your speed from "fast" to "moderate". Because of the lack of a full stop feature you will end up crashing you to bigger ships all the time. Turrets also take a long time to destroy(you end up using your whole energy and it might still be intact) and since YOU CAN'T COME TO A FULL STOP you just have to barrage a turret, move away from the ship, return and attack it again. It gets very boring after a while. Ally AI is horrible. They're barely cannon fodder worthy. You'll be fighting alone almost all the time. Especially in some missions when you'll be flying a bomber where ally ai is suppose to cover you, you'll tear your own hair apart because while the only bomber is under attack from 8 different fighters, ally pilots are doing god knows what. Missions, missions are pretty generic. I bought this game thinking i was getting something similar to the freespace 2. While there are some similarities, overall, game is falling short. Strike suit is not that fascinating. If i could compare a gun to the strike suit, normal mode would be a pistol and strike mode would be burst fire mode. Targeting has similar problems. There is not a key to target someone that's shooting you. You end up trying to turn around to find him(while moving, yes no full stop) You can target the ship closest to you but the same key is used for choosing mission objective targets so it's useless when there is a target objective in the map(which is very common). Also, missions are pretty much "go there blow that" and they sometimes add a time limit, that's it. Missions start&end briefings are a nice touch but they're not detailed. There is no rearming while you're in the mission. Main guns lack the power to take down ships in the allocated time to complete objective so you end up using the missiles as a supplement. If you used those missiles for something else, too bad, restart from checkpoint. On the plus side, music is not bad, visuals are good. For 15$ this game is not bad, but approach it knowing its bad sides. about this game are pretty much true. It's pretty meh. Expand
  26. Jun 24, 2013
    Unfortunately Strike Suit Zero is little more than a standard space shooter and there are better love letters to Freespace 2 out there (Tarr Chronicles, Dark Horizon). The transforming space Gundam and music made the game look excellent in the trailer but the game itself falls short.
  27. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is ridiculously hard. They came out with difficulty settings on it and even on Easy, it is ridiculously hard. It's frustrating, not fun, not challenging, just surprise you're dead for no reason. Or sometimes, surprise, you didn't get the goal because you couldn't get to it fast enough because humans aren't meant to track 5 things in the sky at the same time in completely opposite directions. Whoever directed this game, this should be your last game. It's a beautiful pile of anguish that I wish on no one. I'm so disappointed that I gave you my money for this. I will make sure not to do so in the future. Expand
  28. Jun 6, 2013
    I'm not sure what people were expecting with this game, but a lot of reviews seem to be missing the point. Strike Suit Zero is primarily an action game. In fact I'd go as far as to say the gameplay is effectively what you'd get if an indie team were to make a Devil May Cry game where Dante is replaced with a spaceship. Kill as much as you can, as fast as you can. That is essentially the goal of every mission, leading to a very arcadey feeling experience. This is in no way a realistic space game, arguably having more in common with side scrolling shoot 'em ups than slower paced games in the space genre such as the X-Wing or Wing Commander series.

If you are in the mood for some fast paced gameplay and feel like giving Strike Suit Zero a try, you'll be treated to a decently challenging game with excellent visuals and soundtrack. Graphically the game looks excellent whilst it is being played with the action never affecting the performance. The only slight issue I could complain about is that models and textures do look rather low-res when you stop and stare at them. Fortunately you'll rarely get to do this as the action keeps coming, leaving you to admire the execution of the design rather than the technical aspects of the texturing. Something that is particularly worth mentioning is the ship designs by Junji Okubo, an artist with an increasingly impressive résumé, boasting a career of experience working on both anime and video games with a strong base in the mecha genre. The soundtrack is also above par for what I'd expect, particularly from an indie production. This certainly left my eyes and ears sufficiently entertained by the setting, creating an unusually immersive experience for what most people would shrug off as a mindless action game. The plot leaves a little to be desired but is clearly not the main focus of the game. Frankly there isn't much plot, but what little there is kept me interested enough to want to see what happens next.

However... This is where the main negative comes in. The game is extremely repetitive. Remember Those great visuals and soundtrack I just mentioned? Well you'd better get used to them. By the fourth mission (out of 12) you'll have already seen or heard most of it. This would be a problem if SSZ were a higher budget game created by a larger team, but under the circumstances I think the repetitive nature of this game is something that should be forgiven. Born Ready Games only have one game under their belt, this one, and a relatively small team which has been funded largely through kickstarter.

One major negative that I found was that the beginning missions were paced rather poorly for my tastes. Despite the name of the game you only obtain the strike suit after completing a few missions, effectively leaving out several important game mechanics for a significant chunk of a first time playthrough. This is fixed when you replay missions, being able to select and fighter available to you but I still found that it made the first 3-4 missions a bit of a chore. I found my enjoyment to increase exponentially after obtaining the strike suit and getting used to the devil-trigger like power up system having access to the suit provides. In fact a lot of the replayability comes from returning to missions to try and up the rank you received, with your average ranking across all missions even having a small effect on the ending of the game.

Another low point for other people has been the difficulty level, with other people citing bad A.I and frustrating escort missions. I can see how this might be a problem, but I never suffered from it.. Generally I breezed through the missions on the first pass without even using the checkpoint system, however this is very much from the perspective of a core gamer. Despite the fact I had no problems with it, if you were thinking about purchasing SSZ the issues with the "frustrating" difficulty could be something to bear in mind if that is a deal breaker for you personally.

Overall I'd say Strike Suit Zero is easily worth a look if you are interested in a simple space shooter game with a ridiculous amount of action but not much else. If you are unsure or put off by the issues other reviewers have mentioned then it might be best waiting for it to go on sale, making a fairly cheap game even cheaper still. I can only give this game an 8 based mainly upon the technical aspects, which despite being generally excellent tend to be very repetitive. However if I were to rate the game based on the amount of fun that I had while playing it, I'd bump it up to a 9. For the 6-8 hours it took me to complete the main campaign with scores to my satisfaction I can't say I was bored or frustrated more than a couple of times, something that in my experience has happened much more frequently in most games (including many AAA releases).
  29. Jan 26, 2013
    A brilliant, beautiful, and thrilling throwback to the early 2000's, when space flight sims of all kinds and colours graced the PC market. And I, as a massive fan of those games, welcome this return to some of the most fun I've ever had. If you enjoyed games like Tachyon, Freespace, and Dark Horizon (though I may be the only person to like that one) then this is definitely a worthy and nostalgia-inducing purchase. Expand
  30. Jan 29, 2013
    Great space combat controls that blend together well with the mech transformation mode. Battles are always a great visual treat as the screen fills with fighter trails and a hailstorm of missiles, Itano Circus style. It's like this generation's version of the PS2 Macross game.
  31. Feb 10, 2013
    The most fun I have had in a Space Combat Sim since Project Silpheed, an often overlooked game for the 360. It needs a bit of polish and there are some serious difficulty spikes, but once you get a feel for it there is a ton of fun to be had. For $20 you really cannot go wrong and I hope that going forward they can tune this solid 8.0 into a 10.0
  32. Jan 25, 2013
    A good story
    a bit of a problem with the text ,for instance "you are being moved forward" When in fact what they ment was "you are being sent to the front" - the first one feels like someone who doesnt speak english
    great graphics and a solid game ,i have to admit i loved flying the fighter more then the super fighter/robot thing
    but its fun
    in total , a good game
  33. Feb 5, 2013
    While the music is amazing and the visuals are definitely pretty (watching a dogfight from afar is much more fluid and natural than some other space sims I've played), I can't get past the pathetic targeting system. There are too many missions in which you need to mop up torpedoes that are once again sailing for your capital ship, and when "Target nearest in front" instead targets the interceptor about 1000 meters behind the torpedo I need to destroy before it hits said ship, I'm not longer failing a mission objective to the game difficulty so much as poor design. The missions are also very repetitive, as many have mentioned, and I don't think a difficulty curve should be represented by giving you the same objectives in mission 10 as you were getting in mission 3, but instead dropping an entire fleet with insanely accurate and powerful weaponry into the fray. It's very short-sighted design, and it was honestly disappointing. I wasn't having much difficulty with the normal objectives, mind you, just some of the special objectives that each mission has. These are essentially necessary to progress, however, as I'm not sure how you can take on the suped-up ships in the later game without the upgrades. Again, it seems poorly laid out overall, and I sorely wish the game was more satisfying than some cheaper games I've also picked up on Steam. Expand
  34. Feb 15, 2013
    I got this as it was on a list of the best games of the month. When I first installed it I thought great a decent space combat sim (bearing in mind the last decent one I played was X-Wing Alliance). First mission went smoothly, not much going on, getting used to everything... come the 2nd and 3rd missions though, all hell breaks loose. I've been through the 3rd mission 7 times now, of those, I've died 4 times. This game has great promise, but the controls are really sloppy. When I point at a target I want to shoot there, not 30 degrees up from it. My other gripe is the way the screen more or less blacks out when you come under heavy fire... how are you supposed to get out of it if you cant see what's happening?

This is a fun game, but if you want something where you can shoot things and not have to think... look elsewhere. If you do things wrong I find that the game promptly drops a brick on your head and you die... alot....

Overall, good for a Kickstarter game, but the controls need some serious work.
  35. Jul 15, 2013
    It's a shame people don't understand why this game is fun. Get 3x 27" screens and an X52 Pro flight sim controller and sit back with a glass of the good stuff and enjoy. Critical comments need not apply as this is my opinion. So trolls beware! I know where you live..... under bridges!

I have first hand experience with this game on the Oculus rift and its spectacular, mind boggling,
    unbelievable, immersive and unprecedented fun!
    It's easy to get your hands dirty in this game and yes there are spikes of difficulty but who gives a monkeys? Games are not meant to be mindless easy things that any brain dead chimp can complete at the drop of his top hat and monocle. Welcome to something that can only be classed as ground breaking good fun!

The staff on support were hands down excellent when I was having some issues with my trip screens and flight sim controller, this was a definite plus considering getting info out of most developers support is like getting blood from a stone.

I say go Indies go! Screw the AAA titles its the same old rubbish being recycled for the mindless drones out there who have no imagination or taste in terms of games. This is an indie dev that has shown us something enjoyable and fun. They should be given a good old pat on the back and commended for such an excellent contribution.

Thank you Born Ready!
  36. Feb 8, 2013
    Great music, remarkable backdrop art, skillful ship design and a cool twist on the space shooter gameplay should have made this game a must buy for the fans of the genre, but are instead are the accusing fingers pointing to its inadequacy. Simply said, Strike Suit Zero is too simple. Other than for a single combat gimmick its gameplay is far below the heights achieved by the genre in games like freespace or the X series. While this can be partially attributed to its indie origins and a substantial difference in budget, it doesn't excuse the level of monotony encountered throughout the game. Monotony of combat, characterized by few, ever identical ships and, what is most glaring, monotony of narration, which is shallow enough that its total absence would have probably gotten a higher score from me. Add an uneven difficulty curve and a few design mistakes and an otherwise acceptable shooter becomes a trite waste of time. Expand
  37. Jul 21, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews, the game is fantastic, it is not too difficult, but you can turn it down to easy if its too hard for you. The fov is adjustable, controls are totally customizable, seriously some of these negative reviews are full of completely false information.
  38. Mar 6, 2013
    The game supports my Logitech G940, this reason alone makes this game worth the price. Now the gameplay itself is fairly decent, not the best in the world but still good enough to have fun. The story and voice acting is a bit weak, but that does not hamper the overall experience, if you are a Space-sim fan then you must try this game out.
  39. Dec 21, 2013
    This game is awesome! Controls are great, graphics are great, and most of all, the action is great!

It's not difficult at all! Honestly if you find this game too difficult, you aren't very good at flight based games. It's actually a bit too easy at times, but I look forward to trying the harder settings.

In the area that matters for this style game, GAMEPLAY, this game delivers!

One final note: there is NOTHING wrong with the way checkpoints are set up, some people want super easy games, this game is challenging. Learn2play.
  40. May 4, 2013
    Don't know whats with the critics because this game was great. A little bad with story but it was a great arcade game which brought me back to the space theme in games which I enjoyed as a child and also the graphics were amazing considering the intensity of the combat, stayed good throughout!
  41. May 16, 2013
    When I first played, I would've rated this game a 4 because it was extremely hard, the checkpoints are ridiculous and the upgrade system is confusing. But it was extremely addicting. There are some "certain missions" (not going to spoil it) that really punish you for not having skill. However, after playing for a week, I finally got the hang of it. I don't want to brag, but I can proudly say I have unlocked all the upgrades and medals. The checkpoints don't seem to bother me much anymore.

So for a casual gamer, this game is extremely difficult and confusing. But if you have the time (in my case, I no-lifed the game), in the long run, you'll enjoy it a lot.

Plus, the setting is gorgeous. Unlike most space games, the background isn't just simply black, stars, the sun, and the occasional planet. No, it is vivid beauty asteroid fields, nebulas, asteroid fields in nebulas, exotic planets, destroyed planets, etc., and the backdrop isn't black. Sometimes it's a neon dark blue, orange, silvery-blue,sometimes with space clouds that glow. Plus, the background is one enormous gif. The developers seem to put stories in the backgrounds. But I'm not going to spoil that for you, you have to see it yourself to find out.

For those complaining about the brightness, sensitivity, and controls, may I suggest simply going to the menu and changing the settings and keybinds to your preference?

If I'm not mistaken, this game was developed here in the U.S.? Well I bet it's making the Japanese jealous.
  42. Jul 20, 2013
    This game is fantastic so far. It's a fun arcade feeling type of space shooter. I've been waiting for something to capture that same feeling of excitement and intensity of Rogue Squadron from back in the day. It's been years, and finally Strike Suit Zero comes along to fill the void.

I've been playing with an xbox controller and the controls feel easy and intuitive. The graphics are
    nice and the overall feel of the game captures the mood they are trying to push. Dog fighting in space is as fun as it sounds.

Furthermore, they are going to support the Oculus Rift, which will be more than I could have ever dreamed for. It's a great time to be a gamer.
  43. Jul 19, 2013
    I love this game, Is a best space combat simulator in years. The first missions not reflect the game's Vertigo and fast attacks. Search and destroy options. If you buy the DLC "raptor".
    if you buy "raptor" see new opportunities to destroy your enemies.
       Strike Suit infinity (expansion) is the best of this game.
    Enjoy and don´t listen the bads critics, and test for yourself this game
  44. Jul 19, 2013
    This game reminds me of Macross (Art Style) Homeworld (Music, Characters), Armored Core (Ship Modules) and Wing Commander(Combat Mechanics). If you are a fan of any of these you owe it to yourself to get this game. Very enjoyable and great way to indulge your space game fix.
  45. Jul 30, 2013
    Strike Suit Zero is a space sim which hearkens back to the good old days of Tie Fighter vs X-Wing and (for me, at least) Freespace 1 and 2. The game's graphics are incredible. Fighters flit about with glowing contrails, lasers light up the sky, and massive capital ships fill your entire screen. The soundtrack is also excellent. It's extremely reminiscent of Relic's Homeworld games (by design, I'm sure). The overall effect is very immersive.

On the down side, the difficulty is very uneven. Some segments (especially escort missions) are almost impossible, while others are a cakewalk. Also, the flight mechanics feel a little loose. You'll spend much of the game with your thrusters on full reverse, trying like hell to remain stationary so you can shoot straight. At least so far, I've found enemy fighters aren't much of a threat to me. There's less need to dodge and weave than in some other space sims. Honestly, I've died more due to collisions than to enemy fire. The collisions are a killer, especially when you find yourself transitioning from strike to fighter modes. This can rocket you into obstacles with little warning.

All in all, I definitely recommend you pick up a copy. It's not an overly long game, and it's a great trip down memory lane for all the space sim veterans out there.
  46. Aug 25, 2013
    I wanted to like this, I really did. I even came back to it a few weeks later to give it another shot, but it's just utterly unforgivable garbage. Pros: Pretty visuals (after you manually fix broken files to get the textures working), interesting concept, nice sound track. Cons: Default controls unplayable, control remapping only half works and most cannot be remapped, downloads with broken textures, settings randomly reset themselves to defaults, dry uninteresting voice acting, bland mission objectives are always "kill X of this or Y of that" counters, AI copilots accomplish most objectives for you so there's no sense of involvement, buggy, unresponsive menus, need I go on? Maybe the game could be good if they did some QA and got it working, but there's just too much work required to get it in a playable state to have any fun with the monotone voice telling me to kill 20 more identical fighters for the umpteenth time. Expand
  47. Oct 24, 2013
    Strike Suit Zero is one of those games that by all means I should be infuriated by, but I'm not. The titular Strike Suit is an absolute joy to fly once mastered, but the somewhat-slippery handling while in Fighter Mode and brutally challenging missions mean you need to be perfect, which isn't going to happen. The story is nothing worth writing home about, just your generic "War between nations... IN SPACE" story with uninteresting characters with meh voice acting. Mission objectives are tired and some missions drag on past the point where they stop being fun

However, what the game does wrong with it's story, it more than makes up for it in style. Strike Suit Zero is home to some of the best visual design I've seen in ages. The backdrops are jaw-droppingly gorgeous, and Paul Ruskay's soundtrack (of Homeworld fame) is stellar. Vocals by KOKIA really add to the feel that you are playing the game equivalent of a 80's giant robot series.

All-in-all, Strike Suit Zero is too flawed to reccomend for everyone, much as I'd love to. When everything is firing on all cylinders, the game is one of the best space combat experiences I've had in a while. But those moments are fleeting in a game bogged down by long, lackluster missions and slippery controls. It's not something everyone will love, but if the idea of hopping into a robot dogfighter appeals then I'd definitely check out Strike Suit Zero.
  48. Sep 10, 2013
    I liked Rogue Squadron. I liked Starfighter. I don't like this game. Firstly, the reviews make it out to be a lot more action-mech oriented than it is. It's a dogfighter. Second, the concept art makes it seem like you'll be a guy in a robot suit fighting a bunch of ships. You only get to be the suit for short bursts, and when you're in suit mode, you're frozen in place. Third, tons more stuff is just done wrong. Explosions look boring, the camera gets unstable when shot, even worse when there's lots going on, there's a ridiculous lag problem, all ships except the suit are always moving forward, which has killed me at least once after I'd completed a mission and was just waiting for my allies (who don't help with anything and can't be commanded to handle a specific task, like covering you or protecting an allied cruiser) to stop talking so the victory cutscene would play. My skippy little spaceship crashed into some stationary debris because there's no brakes. Furthermore, I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but on my end, the soundtrack was horrible. All I heard was some feminine warbling. No pumping, John Williams-esque trumpets and strings like I expected. Just warbling. All in all, this was a severely disappointing game, and I feel extremely sorry for anyone who falls for the ruse the devs are putting up with their misleading art and description. They should be ashamed of themselves. Expand
  49. Mar 5, 2014
    Fun space shooter, at least at first, that gets pretty generic and boring. Not terrible but not great. GOOD - Outstanding soundtrack that gave me chills when I was playing first few missions - Classic space-shooter with thrilling action and 0 BS included - Great controls which is very important in this genre (used keyboard+mouse) BAD - Customization is very shallow and limited for seemingly no reason
    - Once you get used to action, missions get boring and repetetive
    - Weak plot and characters

It wasn't a bad game per se just not very good, it lacked something that would make me think this product is special and deserves higher score. If possible I'd give it a 6.5/10 instead of 6. Recommended for space shooters fans that don't care about plot.
  50. Jan 15, 2014
    At first this looks like a good space fighter sim with some Zone of the Ender mechanics, but man did they ever get it wrong. Whoever did the game balance doesn't know what they're doing. Maybe they used to make board games? I'm not sure. But the regular ship takes forever to build up one volley of shots. This means taking out 20 fighters (a common objective in the first 3 missions) can take about 20 minutes. Why would they do that? Restrictions are fun! Let's restrict everything!

Like the Strike Suit. You'd think, "okay, cool robot form that's even in the game title: Of course you should be able to change that whenever you like, right?" Wrong. You have to destroy debris and enemy fighters to 'power it'. How does that even make sense? Shooting in the Strike Suit turns into Motion Blurr City, which is extremely laggy. There's also no lead targets in Strike Suit mode, so good luck hitting anything with primary fire. The suit itself seems terribly underwhelming. Its best attack when you first get it is a volley of missiles. Not very exiting, and doesn't make you feel powerful.

The game was advertised when it came out as if this was a successor to the Zone of the Enders series. No. Its just a cheap powerup gimmick in a space sim with a standard engine (think Star Wars: Star Fighter on the PS2, but not as easy to control or as intuitive). The balance is abismal. The story seems interesting, but every time you think a level is going to end you get "wait, we've got 50 more fighters inbound" and it just makes me sigh. I gave up after 10 minutes of the Strike Suit being seeming utterly useless and unable to kill even one turret on an enemy frigate.

Maybe I'll come back to it one day and find out something I missed, but man does this game make me want to cry. I love Gundam and Zone of the Enders stuff, but this is such a poor attempt at copying those games. I feel like the design team got the wing suit idea dumped on them at the last minute while they were making a space sim. They still managed to mess up both aspects of design. Kudos?
  51. Mar 10, 2014
    I held off buying Strike Suit Zero for a long time because I figured there was no way it would be as cool as it looks. Seeing it on sale at Steam was the final nudge I needed to pull the trigger and I can now say it is actually cooler than it looks. I’m sorry I waited so long to pick up this title.

SSZ will appeal to anyone who was a fan of games like Rogue Squadron or Colony Wars on
    the PS One. It’s not quite up to level of depth that X-Wing or Wing Commander had since this is more arcade shooter than simulation. If you liked those games, though, I’d still recommend SSZ since the whole space dogfighting genre seems dead and you won’t find better nowadays. SSZ has fluid and intense gameplay with great graphics & music. Voice acting is spotty but not bad.

The controls may take a little getting used to but once you master them you’ll feel like a boss in the titular Strike Suit. Spamming your swam missiles has a very Robotech/Macross feel and never gets old. I played this with a Xbox 360 controller for PC and found the controls very tight & responsive. No idea what happened to some other reviewers who say the controls are clunky. They may be trying to play with keyboard & mouse but I learned long ago rule #1 of space shooter games is to bring a joystick or gamepad.

The missions have a nice variety and are thrilling to play through. The narrative is pretty solid, too, and keeps you interested in moving along. You get scored on each sortie and can also unlock a particular upgrade if certain optional goals are met. Once you beat a mission, you can replay it using any new fighter craft or weapons you’ve unlocked. Some people complain the missions get repetitive and are impossibly hard. I didn’t find them repetitive and they may be too hard if you don’t get any ship upgrades. I’ll admit I went back & switched the difficulty to easy mode to pick up a few, which is an option for anyone who thinks it’s too hard.

Best of all, there are checkpoints inserted into the sometimes lengthy missions. This is a welcome feature since you don’t have to keep replaying the same thirty minutes of a mission over & over again when only the last five minutes are giving you trouble. Checkpoints are frequently placed right at those optional parts required to unlock upgrades which again is very nice since, if you miss the optional goal, you do not have to start the entire mission again from the beginning.

SSZ isn’t a perfect game but some reviewers are going overboard on their criticism of it. This space & sci-fi combat genre is one I miss a lot and I’ve had a blast playing this game. If you are a fan of any of the titles I mentioned above, you should definitely pick it up. It feels like a blast from the past & a new experience at the same time.
  52. Aug 28, 2013
    one of the best games I ever played.It got all what I want space ,aircraft (spacecraft now lol) and gundam like mechs what do you want more it is a little bit hard ...but it is fun to play it and it is challenging
  53. Sep 25, 2013
    If X-Wing and Freelancer would have a son, and Macross and Homeworld became a godparents, it would be Strike Suit Zero. A piece of pure awesomness arcade space action in a real 3D environment with incredible music and intuitive K+M controls.
  54. Oct 25, 2013
    It's a great game! While there are a few issues with graphics (starting in windows mode instead of fullscreen & going full white screen) & sound (If level is started right after loading has finished, sound fails to fully initialize), the gameplay is excellent and very Gundam like in its play. The ability to play with the Strike Suit and target lock multiple enemies/points makes gameplay quite enjoyable. You'll be holding your breath trying to multi-task objectives and keeping ships intact. You're the center of the action. Expand
  55. Feb 15, 2014
    Not a good copy of Freelancer. The controls are terrible and the music is depressing. The graphics are good so I give it 4/10. The controls ruined it for me. I was looking for a good space fighter but bought this...
  56. AH1
    Dec 14, 2013
    While certainly not the best game I've ever played, Strike Suit Zero nevertheless scratches a space combat shooter itch that I've had since playing Tachyon: The Fringe back in the early 2000s. Indeed, SSZ seems to borrow many elements from Tachyon, including most of the mechanics, feel, and weapons. The graphics in the game are a bit underwhelming, looking more like a game from the late 00s, rather than the 2010s. Still, for an independent title that was funded through Kickstarter, SSZ is definitely worth your time. The main draw of the game--the mech transformation--is actually the least fun, in my opinion. I greatly prefer the starfighter mode to the mech mode. But, if you are looking for a no-frills space shooter that calls to mind the golden age of the genre, then this game is certainly worth that money, especially if you can get it on sale. Expand
  57. Dec 14, 2013
    I bought this game for around £4 on the Steam sale and, wow, it's great for the price, with great graphics and sound, especially considering it is an indie title.

I feel like I want to defend the game against all of the critical reviews. Wing Commander, X-wing, Tie-Fighter, Freespace, were all big studio titles. This is not a big studio title and people really should not expect it to
    have the same scope. It has clear goals which are obviously limited by budget, and it executes them well. People cannot demand more from an indie title.

The game is difficult. However, it requires multitasking and each time you fail you get better at the game, and you can revisit each mission to improve upon your score. There are also further ships to unlock.

The game is fast, loads of fun and well worth the price.
  58. Dec 15, 2013
    I picked up Zone of Enders for £2 once and sat down to play it from start to finish without diverting to play other games. I did the same with X2. This game has given me that feeling again but seems to of smashed the two together. It's an indie game but it still plays better than most games I've paid £40+ for. I'mn giving it a solid eight because it's not for the die hard space sim lover but it is great fun to play if you're not one for niggly little details like your ships thruster flaps or well...Breaks. You can live without breaks you just need to adjust to this new play style. Expand
  59. Dec 21, 2013
    Great indie game and space shooter. Bought during steam sale at 75% off definitely worth it! Soundtrack reminds me of battlestar galactica and the battles are epic as well. Immersive game. Also there is a bit of Mecha thrown in which is okay with me since I am an anime fan. Minor technical problems such as game sometimes plays windowed and had steam crash a few times which is why i rate 8/10 instead of 9 or 10. Don't let those issues stop you from playing an otherwise great indie game! Expand
  60. Feb 27, 2014
    The graphics are nice, the music is really good, and the sound is well done. The game s.u.c.k.s. These are the half-wit developers who can't code a proper AI, so instead they cripple the game against you. The game takes a while to ramp up and is enjoyable-ish at first, to the point that you almost don't notice it. And then there's level 10. You and your "wing" are tasked with taking out 4 corvettes and then a squad of fighters. Your "wingmen" go off charting interstellar phenomena and testing how well their ships fly in circles while you do the work. If you survive that, you then get to test those same mad skills against a carrier, that brings along escorts and has at least two banks of plasma cannons fitted with InstantHit(TM) and NeverMiss(TM) technology (pioneered by the equally incompetent devs at LucasArts), regardless of range, your maneuvering, other things to shoot at, or anything else.

These guys are indie because no real game house would hire any of them. Even LucasArts has higher standards now.
  61. Jan 24, 2013

1. Apr 16, 2014
    In conclusion, as a small downloadable title there is much to like about Strike Suit Zero; its story is interesting if awkwardly told, and its gameplay is finely-tuned and worth revisiting.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    I’m under the impression that Strike Suit Zero’s developers paid attention to aspects of the game that, although important, like graphics, music, presentation, were not the truly essential ones- thus leaving important elements, like gameplay, A.I and action, to chance. [March 2013]
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    If you want to spend a night out with FreeSpace 2 in a slinky red dress, this is your game. Just don't expect thrilling dinner conversation. [March 2013, p.84]