7.3

1. Jan 27, 2013
    All in all, it is a fun and really challenging game. The one major frustration I've found with this game is the targeting system. You only have two options when selecting a target. It's either the closest target or what's in front of you.

This simply isn't enough for some of the harder mission where you are required to take certain actions such as shooting down torpedoes or destroying certain turrets. With so many things going on in the screen, it's almost impossible to pick the right target.
  2. Feb 4, 2013
    While the graphics are not up-to-date and the difficulty may seem unfair at different points, I am still having quite a lot of fun with this game.
    The concept of having to replay old missions to unlock essential upgrades is not really optimal as it breaks up the storyline before you even have it finished, but finally getting that upgrade is really satisfying.
    The game is also demanding

The game is also demanding some skills as you constantly have to switch between weapons, adjust your throttle, evade missiles/gunfire and master the strike mode with completely different controls, but that's actually a good thing.
  3. Jan 27, 2013
    I really want to love Strike Suit Zero.. I really do.. But I just can't. The first few missions are okay and the story isn't that complex but then again why should it? It's an arcade shooter. The soundtrack is great and I've spent quite the time listening to it.

But the game itself. There are so many tiny problems in it that it makes me think that the dev team didn't even make a test on the gameplay itself because it's very VERY annoying at times. I'll try to list some:

Your allies are incompetent. If you get a mission to destroy a cruiser, your allies are incompetent of making it possible for you to do it. Meaning that there's a swarm of interceptors flying around you at all times. You cannot target them using the "Target Closest" -keybind because that bind ALLWAYS targets mission objectives first.

The camera thrashes and crashes around every time you get shot. That means it thrashes and crashes around all the time! If you ask me, it would had been better if your vision wasn't obstructed by this when you still have any shield left.

Enemy accuracy is pinpoint. The guys on these railguns sure did play alot of instagib Q3 judging by the way how good shots they are. This doesn't apply only on capital ship guns but regular enemies as well.

Line of sight is VERY limited. You can't see **** The game doesn't tell you from what direction you are shot at from or who is shooting at you. These small pieces of information would make it much less frustrating. I would also like a small flashing light in the UI if someone is targetting me.

Checkpoint placing is horrible. There is a mission where you first have to destroy multiple corvettes, then wipe off interceptors, then defend your capital ship from two cruisers and destroy them and THEN go against a huge carrier. This all takes some time and if you die in the last part you gotta do the whole thing again.

Strike Mode is useful when you need firepower but it's slow as hell and the dashing doesn't help you evade anything except missiles. In Strike Mode you can hover still in the air, but in Pursuit Mode you can't stay put. Ship handling is horrible. Your craft turns as if it was a tank and the enemy craft seem to be alot more agile than you are.

You are constantly moving forward. You have brakes though but they don't stop you. I thought it would be possible to turn off your engines and let your craft hover onward while you are targetting something else but no. You are allways moving into the direction you are aming which usually makes destroying stationary objects impossible

I like the game. The setting, the crafts, the graphics.. It's just these things that make me lose my mind. I really REALLY want to play this game alot and I do but I allways end up being angry.

TL;DR: Lots of good ideas but just as many bad parts. I've played worse games with higher price.
  4. Jan 23, 2013
    Space? Check. Giant ships? Check. Transforming death-spitting robots? Got that too.
    Chances are that if you enjoyed any of the Ace Combat series or had fun watching mecha anime, you'll lap this up. The first thing that will strike you is the graphics; for an indie offering they are excellent and really lend themselves to the game and it's mechanics. The gameplay is generally good although the difficulty curve will be very sharp for players not used to flight games, but after you clear that initial fence you'll be having a whale of a time blasting down those darn colonists. The story is the usual objective based bibble, "Save /destroy the X to defeat/save the Y", but you can forgive it as the game would suffer if it were dialogue heavy
    That said the game otherwise is an excellent indie offering that deserves your consideration for being fun, challenging and the only one of it's kind for long time. (*sigh* where did all the mechs go?)
  5. Jan 25, 2013
    Solid 7 - it never reaches the height of Colony Wars and isn't a serious space sim - but as a shooter its solid fun - once you get past the first few missions and get a Mech that is!
  6. Jan 25, 2013
    I have only played a couple of hours so far but for an indie game (people need to remember that!) this is pretty well done. Sure the story is pretty boring...the voice acting atrocious but if you just want to shoot things out of the sky and admire the lovely graphics and explosions than you can't really go wrong with this.
  7. Jun 24, 2013
    Unfortunately Strike Suit Zero is little more than a standard space shooter and there are better love letters to Freespace 2 out there (Tarr Chronicles, Dark Horizon). The transforming space Gundam and music made the game look excellent in the trailer but the game itself falls short.
  8. Feb 15, 2013
    I got this as it was on a list of the best games of the month. When I first installed it I thought great a decent space combat sim (bearing in mind the last decent one I played was X-Wing Alliance). First mission went smoothly, not much going on, getting used to everything... come the 2nd and 3rd missions though, all hell breaks loose. I've been through the 3rd mission 7 times now, ofI got this as it was on a list of the best games of the month. When I first installed it I thought great a decent space combat sim (bearing in mind the last decent one I played was X-Wing Alliance). First mission went smoothly, not much going on, getting used to everything... come the 2nd and 3rd missions though, all hell breaks loose. I've been through the 3rd mission 7 times now, of those, I've died 4 times. This game has great promise, but the controls are really sloppy. When I point at a target I want to shoot there, not 30 degrees up from it. My other gripe is the way the screen more or less blacks out when you come under heavy fire... how are you supposed to get out of it if you cant see what's happening?

This is a fun game, but if you want something where you can shoot things and not have to think... look elsewhere. If you do things wrong I find that the game promptly drops a brick on your head and you die... alot....

Overall, good for a Kickstarter game, but the controls need some serious work.
  9. Jan 24, 2013
    I helped kickstart Strike Suit Zero, with hopes of a game in the style of Freespace 2. I'll tell you now, if you are hoping for something on the level of Freespace 2 (Also there is no open world gameplay, all linear missions, so don't come here looking for that), Strike Suit Zero comes up far short. The game presents an adequate aesthetic visually and musically, though the voice acting isI helped kickstart Strike Suit Zero, with hopes of a game in the style of Freespace 2. I'll tell you now, if you are hoping for something on the level of Freespace 2 (Also there is no open world gameplay, all linear missions, so don't come here looking for that), Strike Suit Zero comes up far short. The game presents an adequate aesthetic visually and musically, though the voice acting is clearly phoned in, the story is completely generic and forgettable, and missions are repetitive. There is no multiplayer to speak of and the modding tools are yet to be released, through have been promised. The difficulty varies from a complete joke to insanely frustrating. The frustration of the game stems not from the AI being challenging, or even challenging objectives, it comes often from the fact your AI allies are almost always useless,that the enemy has a habit of focusing most of its fire on you (With almost pinpoint accuracy and projectiles that often cause your screen to shake wildly), and your given extremely time limited objectives to kill enemies or protect something at the drop of a hat, with failure resulting in mission failure. You'll be faced with infinitely spawning enemies that appear just out of your sight but already in range to fire on you, objectives that are far out of range and place you in a position without what little support allies offer, and objectives that your current ship or weapons leave you woefully unprepared for (This isn't Freespace 2, no detailed tactical briefs before missions, just trial and error). Another issue is that you have such a limited supply of rockets or missiles (No resupply besides a new mission or dying) for certain missions you can't use them for anything except for objectives that are time sensitive. Of course, you could always die and go back to the checkpoint, for a full refill on ammo and health (Probably because balance and pacing was not tweaked properly so this was the developers answer to make sure you can make progress). Often in cases where the enemies never end, you'll have access to your Strike Suit, which is pretty much a requirement to even hope to beat such missions. It unfortunately fails to make you feel powerful when you realize you have to use it and it only lets you keep up with the pace of the infinitely spawning enemies, who can still tear you to pieces while in Strike Suit mode. While Strike suit mode sounds cool on paper, this implementation leaves much to be desired. The checkpoint system is also flawed, placing checkpoints far back, often up to a quarter of an hour back in the mission, making the game feel more repetitive. While a fair attempt on the part of the developers, Strike Suit Zero doesn't present anything that hasn't been done before and done better by older games. Maybe some patches or DLC can fix some of the issues, but as it stands I would not recommend this game to anyone. Instead, I recommend acquiring a copy of Freespace 2, updating it with the Freespace 2 Source Code Project (Which greatly improves and already great game), and enjoying the rich experience offered by the game and its mods. Expand
  10. Jan 27, 2013
    All the bad things you've readI bought strike suit zero with the hopes of a good space sim, while it's not horrendously bad it lacks some serious polishing. Let's start with controls: Controls are clunky(I'm playing on keyboard&mouse). I'm not talking about adjusting mouse sensibility etc. controls are clunky in general. Also, something that annoyed me to no end is you can't come to aAll the bad things you've readI bought strike suit zero with the hopes of a good space sim, while it's not horrendously bad it lacks some serious polishing. Let's start with controls: Controls are clunky(I'm playing on keyboard&mouse). I'm not talking about adjusting mouse sensibility etc. controls are clunky in general. Also, something that annoyed me to no end is you can't come to a complete halt with your ship. You just can't! Developers didn't added it to the game. Best you can do is slow down from your speed from "fast" to "moderate". Because of the lack of a full stop feature you will end up crashing you to bigger ships all the time. Turrets also take a long time to destroy(you end up using your whole energy and it might still be intact) and since YOU CAN'T COME TO A FULL STOP you just have to barrage a turret, move away from the ship, return and attack it again. It gets very boring after a while. Ally AI is horrible. They're barely cannon fodder worthy. You'll be fighting alone almost all the time. Especially in some missions when you'll be flying a bomber where ally ai is suppose to cover you, you'll tear your own hair apart because while the only bomber is under attack from 8 different fighters, ally pilots are doing god knows what. Missions, missions are pretty generic. I bought this game thinking i was getting something similar to the freespace 2. While there are some similarities, overall, game is falling short. Strike suit is not that fascinating. If i could compare a gun to the strike suit, normal mode would be a pistol and strike mode would be burst fire mode. Targeting has similar problems. There is not a key to target someone that's shooting you. You end up trying to turn around to find him(while moving, yes no full stop) You can target the ship closest to you but the same key is used for choosing mission objective targets so it's useless when there is a target objective in the map(which is very common). Also, missions are pretty much "go there blow that" and they sometimes add a time limit, that's it. Missions start&end briefings are a nice touch but they're not detailed. There is no rearming while you're in the mission. Main guns lack the power to take down ships in the allocated time to complete objective so you end up using the missiles as a supplement. If you used those missiles for something else, too bad, restart from checkpoint. On the plus side, music is not bad, visuals are good. For 15$ this game is not bad, but approach it knowing its bad sides. about this game are pretty much true. It's pretty meh. Expand
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    The game supports my Logitech G940, this reason alone makes this game worth the price. Now the gameplay itself is fairly decent, not the best in the world but still good enough to have fun. The story and voice acting is a bit weak, but that does not hamper the overall experience, if you are a Space-sim fan then you must try this game out.
  12. Jan 24, 2013
    For a small dev team and funding these guys made a great game. Has great replay value and enough hours to keep you going for 15-20 easy. The combat is very clear and the controls are smooth. The graphics are just stunning. To think this game from a small studio is shocking. The game is fantastic and I recommend it to everyone into the space sims type of game.
  13. Jan 24, 2013
    I bought strike suit zero with the hopes of a good space sim, while it's not horrendously bad it lacks some serious polishing. Let's start with controls: Controls are clunky(I'm playing on keyboard&mouse). I'm not talking about adjusting mouse sensibility etc. controls are clunky in general. Also, something that annoyed me to no end is you can't come to a complete halt with your ship. YouI bought strike suit zero with the hopes of a good space sim, while it's not horrendously bad it lacks some serious polishing. Let's start with controls: Controls are clunky(I'm playing on keyboard&mouse). I'm not talking about adjusting mouse sensibility etc. controls are clunky in general. Also, something that annoyed me to no end is you can't come to a complete halt with your ship. You just can't! Developers didn't added it to the game. Best you can do is slow down from your speed from "fast" to "moderate". Because of the lack of a full stop feature you will end up crashing you to bigger ships all the time. Turrets also take a long time to destroy(you end up using your whole energy and it might still be intact) and since YOU CAN'T COME TO A FULL STOP you just have to barrage a turret, move away from the ship, return and attack it again. It gets very boring after a while. Ally AI is horrible. They're barely cannon fodder worthy. You'll be fighting alone almost all the time. Especially in some missions when you'll be flying a bomber where ally ai is suppose to cover you, you'll tear your own hair apart because while the only bomber is under attack from 8 different fighters, ally pilots are doing god knows what. Missions, missions are pretty generic. I bought this game thinking i was getting something similar to the freespace 2. While there are some similarities, overall, game is falling short. Strike suit is not that fascinating. If i could compare a gun to the strike suit, normal mode would be a pistol and strike mode would be burst fire mode. Targeting has similar problems. There is not a key to target someone that's shooting you. You end up trying to turn around to find him(while moving, yes no full stop) You can target the ship closest to you but the same key is used for choosing mission objective targets so it's useless when there is a target objective in the map(which is very common). Also, missions are pretty much "go there blow that" and they sometimes add a time limit, that's it. Missions start&end briefings are a nice touch but they're not detailed. There is no rearming while you're in the mission. Main guns lack the power to take down ships in the allocated time to complete objective so you end up using the missiles as a supplement. If you used those missiles for something else, too bad, restart from checkpoint. On the plus side, music is not bad, visuals are good. For 15$ this game is not bad, but approach it knowing its bad sides. Expand
  14. Feb 8, 2013
    Great music, remarkable backdrop art, skillful ship design and a cool twist on the space shooter gameplay should have made this game a must buy for the fans of the genre, but are instead are the accusing fingers pointing to its inadequacy. Simply said, Strike Suit Zero is too simple. Other than for a single combat gimmick its gameplay is far below the heights achieved by the genre in gamesGreat music, remarkable backdrop art, skillful ship design and a cool twist on the space shooter gameplay should have made this game a must buy for the fans of the genre, but are instead are the accusing fingers pointing to its inadequacy. Simply said, Strike Suit Zero is too simple. Other than for a single combat gimmick its gameplay is far below the heights achieved by the genre in games like freespace or the X series. While this can be partially attributed to its indie origins and a substantial difference in budget, it doesn't excuse the level of monotony encountered throughout the game. Monotony of combat, characterized by few, ever identical ships and, what is most glaring, monotony of narration, which is shallow enough that its total absence would have probably gotten a higher score from me. Add an uneven difficulty curve and a few design mistakes and an otherwise acceptable shooter becomes a trite waste of time. Expand
  15. Oct 24, 2013
    Strike Suit Zero is one of those games that by all means I should be infuriated by, but I'm not. The titular Strike Suit is an absolute joy to fly once mastered, but the somewhat-slippery handling while in Fighter Mode and brutally challenging missions mean you need to be perfect, which isn't going to happen. The story is nothing worth writing home about, just your generic "War betweenStrike Suit Zero is one of those games that by all means I should be infuriated by, but I'm not. The titular Strike Suit is an absolute joy to fly once mastered, but the somewhat-slippery handling while in Fighter Mode and brutally challenging missions mean you need to be perfect, which isn't going to happen. The story is nothing worth writing home about, just your generic "War between nations... IN SPACE" story with uninteresting characters with meh voice acting. Mission objectives are tired and some missions drag on past the point where they stop being fun

However, what the game does wrong with it's story, it more than makes up for it in style. Strike Suit Zero is home to some of the best visual design I've seen in ages. The backdrops are jaw-droppingly gorgeous, and Paul Ruskay's soundtrack (of Homeworld fame) is stellar. Vocals by KOKIA really add to the feel that you are playing the game equivalent of a 80's giant robot series.

All-in-all, Strike Suit Zero is too flawed to reccomend for everyone, much as I'd love to. When everything is firing on all cylinders, the game is one of the best space combat experiences I've had in a while. But those moments are fleeting in a game bogged down by long, lackluster missions and slippery controls. It's not something everyone will love, but if the idea of hopping into a robot dogfighter appeals then I'd definitely check out Strike Suit Zero.
  16. Mar 5, 2014
    Fun space shooter, at least at first, that gets pretty generic and boring. Not terrible but not great.

GOOD - Outstanding soundtrack that gave me chills when I was playing first few missions - Classic space-shooter with thrilling action and 0 BS included - Great controls which is very important in this genre (used keyboard+mouse) BAD - Customization is very shallow and limited

GOOD
    - Classic space-shooter with thrilling action and 0 BS included
    - Great controls which is very important in this genre (used keyboard+mouse)

BAD
    - Customization is very shallow and limited for seemingly no reason
    - Once you get used to action, missions get boring and repetetive
    - Weak plot and characters

It wasn't a bad game per se just not very good, it lacked something that would make me think this product is special and deserves higher score. If possible I'd give it a 6.5/10 instead of 6. Recommended for space shooters fans that don't care about plot.
  17. Jan 15, 2014
    At first this looks like a good space fighter sim with some Zone of the Ender mechanics, but man did they ever get it wrong. Whoever did the game balance doesn't know what they're doing. Maybe they used to make board games? I'm not sure. But the regular ship takes forever to build up one volley of shots. This means taking out 20 fighters (a common objective in the first 3 missions) canAt first this looks like a good space fighter sim with some Zone of the Ender mechanics, but man did they ever get it wrong. Whoever did the game balance doesn't know what they're doing. Maybe they used to make board games? I'm not sure. But the regular ship takes forever to build up one volley of shots. This means taking out 20 fighters (a common objective in the first 3 missions) can take about 20 minutes. Why would they do that? Restrictions are fun! Let's restrict everything!

Like the Strike Suit. You'd think, "okay, cool robot form that's even in the game title: Of course you should be able to change that whenever you like, right?" Wrong. You have to destroy debris and enemy fighters to 'power it'. How does that even make sense? Shooting in the Strike Suit turns into Motion Blurr City, which is extremely laggy. There's also no lead targets in Strike Suit mode, so good luck hitting anything with primary fire. The suit itself seems terribly underwhelming. Its best attack when you first get it is a volley of missiles. Not very exiting, and doesn't make you feel powerful.

The game was advertised when it came out as if this was a successor to the Zone of the Enders series. No. Its just a cheap powerup gimmick in a space sim with a standard engine (think Star Wars: Star Fighter on the PS2, but not as easy to control or as intuitive). The balance is abismal. The story seems interesting, but every time you think a level is going to end you get "wait, we've got 50 more fighters inbound" and it just makes me sigh. I gave up after 10 minutes of the Strike Suit being seeming utterly useless and unable to kill even one turret on an enemy frigate.

Maybe I'll come back to it one day and find out something I missed, but man does this game make me want to cry. I love Gundam and Zone of the Enders stuff, but this is such a poor attempt at copying those games. I feel like the design team got the wing suit idea dumped on them at the last minute while they were making a space sim. They still managed to mess up both aspects of design. Kudos?
  18. Jan 25, 2013
    I backed this on kickstarter and find myself deeply underwhelmed. How someone can make a transforming space mecha combat game feel dull and repetitive is beyond me. I think I actually enjoyed the space combat sections of Star Wars:The Old Republic more than this,and that is truly damning it with faint praise. Things that made me uninstall the game after 3 hours-
    -Narrow Field of
    -Narrow Field of Vision,Between 40 and 57 degrees are something I never want to see as my options. 70-80 make the bare comfortable minimum for me. It also makes space combat feel cramped and confusing .
    -Awful handling on the ships. The two birds I got to fly in this game both handled like WWII fighters in space, they seem to lack fine maneuverability and the game gives you few options rather than charging head on at a capital ships guns and then the ships poor handling rakes off all your shields as you scrape along the hull.
    -Repetitive mission design. Escort this, Go here kill X amount of fighter or turrets, don't let your ridiculously incompetent squadron mates die. The missions are boring, and most of the time failure is caused by allied AI incompetence.
    -Strike Suit Mode, rather than feeling like a powerful and useful transformation turns you into a sitting duck. The only thing I found it truly useful for was rapidly targeting enemy torpedoes to protect a capital ship and taking out clusters of fighters. Both of which feel like mundane baby-sitting level tasks.

1. Apr 16, 2014
    In conclusion, as a small downloadable title there is much to like about Strike Suit Zero; its story is interesting if awkwardly told, and its gameplay is finely-tuned and worth revisiting.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    I’m under the impression that Strike Suit Zero’s developers paid attention to aspects of the game that, although important, like graphics, music, presentation, were not the truly essential ones- thus leaving important elements, like gameplay, A.I and action, to chance. [March 2013]
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    If you want to spend a night out with FreeSpace 2 in a slinky red dress, this is your game. Just don't expect thrilling dinner conversation. [March 2013, p.84]