7.3

1. Mar 10, 2014
    I held off buying Strike Suit Zero for a long time because I figured there was no way it would be as cool as it looks. Seeing it on sale at Steam was the final nudge I needed to pull the trigger and I can now say it is actually cooler than it looks. I’m sorry I waited so long to pick up this title.

SSZ will appeal to anyone who was a fan of games like Rogue Squadron or Colony Wars on
    the PS One. It’s not quite up to level of depth that X-Wing or Wing Commander had since this is more arcade shooter than simulation. If you liked those games, though, I’d still recommend SSZ since the whole space dogfighting genre seems dead and you won’t find better nowadays. SSZ has fluid and intense gameplay with great graphics & music. Voice acting is spotty but not bad.

The controls may take a little getting used to but once you master them you’ll feel like a boss in the titular Strike Suit. Spamming your swam missiles has a very Robotech/Macross feel and never gets old. I played this with a Xbox 360 controller for PC and found the controls very tight & responsive. No idea what happened to some other reviewers who say the controls are clunky. They may be trying to play with keyboard & mouse but I learned long ago rule #1 of space shooter games is to bring a joystick or gamepad.

The missions have a nice variety and are thrilling to play through. The narrative is pretty solid, too, and keeps you interested in moving along. You get scored on each sortie and can also unlock a particular upgrade if certain optional goals are met. Once you beat a mission, you can replay it using any new fighter craft or weapons you’ve unlocked. Some people complain the missions get repetitive and are impossibly hard. I didn’t find them repetitive and they may be too hard if you don’t get any ship upgrades. I’ll admit I went back & switched the difficulty to easy mode to pick up a few, which is an option for anyone who thinks it’s too hard.

Best of all, there are checkpoints inserted into the sometimes lengthy missions. This is a welcome feature since you don’t have to keep replaying the same thirty minutes of a mission over & over again when only the last five minutes are giving you trouble. Checkpoints are frequently placed right at those optional parts required to unlock upgrades which again is very nice since, if you miss the optional goal, you do not have to start the entire mission again from the beginning.

SSZ isn’t a perfect game but some reviewers are going overboard on their criticism of it. This space & sci-fi combat genre is one I miss a lot and I’ve had a blast playing this game. If you are a fan of any of the titles I mentioned above, you should definitely pick it up. It feels like a blast from the past & a new experience at the same time.
  2. Mar 5, 2014
    Fun space shooter, at least at first, that gets pretty generic and boring. Not terrible but not great. GOOD - Outstanding soundtrack that gave me chills when I was playing first few missions - Classic space-shooter with thrilling action and 0 BS included - Great controls which is very important in this genre (used keyboard+mouse) BAD - Customization is very shallow and limited for seemingly no reason
    - Once you get used to action, missions get boring and repetetive
    - Weak plot and characters

It wasn't a bad game per se just not very good, it lacked something that would make me think this product is special and deserves higher score. If possible I'd give it a 6.5/10 instead of 6. Recommended for space shooters fans that don't care about plot.
  3. Feb 27, 2014
    The graphics are nice, the music is really good, and the sound is well done. The game s.u.c.k.s. These are the half-wit developers who can't code a proper AI, so instead they cripple the game against you. The game takes a while to ramp up and is enjoyable-ish at first, to the point that you almost don't notice it. And then there's level 10. You and your "wing" are tasked with taking out 4 corvettes and then a squad of fighters. Your "wingmen" go off charting interstellar phenomena and testing how well their ships fly in circles while you do the work. If you survive that, you then get to test those same mad skills against a carrier, that brings along escorts and has at least two banks of plasma cannons fitted with InstantHit(TM) and NeverMiss(TM) technology (pioneered by the equally incompetent devs at LucasArts), regardless of range, your maneuvering, other things to shoot at, or anything else.

These guys are indie because no real game house would hire any of them. Even LucasArts has higher standards now.
  4. Feb 15, 2014
    Not a good copy of Freelancer. The controls are terrible and the music is depressing. The graphics are good so I give it 4/10. The controls ruined it for me. I was looking for a good space fighter but bought this...
  5. Jan 15, 2014
    At first this looks like a good space fighter sim with some Zone of the Ender mechanics, but man did they ever get it wrong. Whoever did the game balance doesn't know what they're doing. Maybe they used to make board games? I'm not sure. But the regular ship takes forever to build up one volley of shots. This means taking out 20 fighters (a common objective in the first 3 missions) can take about 20 minutes. Why would they do that? Restrictions are fun! Let's restrict everything!

Like the Strike Suit. You'd think, "okay, cool robot form that's even in the game title: Of course you should be able to change that whenever you like, right?" Wrong. You have to destroy debris and enemy fighters to 'power it'. How does that even make sense? Shooting in the Strike Suit turns into Motion Blurr City, which is extremely laggy. There's also no lead targets in Strike Suit mode, so good luck hitting anything with primary fire. The suit itself seems terribly underwhelming. Its best attack when you first get it is a volley of missiles. Not very exiting, and doesn't make you feel powerful.

The game was advertised when it came out as if this was a successor to the Zone of the Enders series. No. Its just a cheap powerup gimmick in a space sim with a standard engine (think Star Wars: Star Fighter on the PS2, but not as easy to control or as intuitive). The balance is abismal. The story seems interesting, but every time you think a level is going to end you get "wait, we've got 50 more fighters inbound" and it just makes me sigh. I gave up after 10 minutes of the Strike Suit being seeming utterly useless and unable to kill even one turret on an enemy frigate.

Maybe I'll come back to it one day and find out something I missed, but man does this game make me want to cry. I love Gundam and Zone of the Enders stuff, but this is such a poor attempt at copying those games. I feel like the design team got the wing suit idea dumped on them at the last minute while they were making a space sim. They still managed to mess up both aspects of design. Kudos?
  6. Dec 21, 2013
    This game is awesome! Controls are great, graphics are great, and most of all, the action is great!

It's not difficult at all! Honestly if you find this game too difficult, you aren't very good at flight based games. It's actually a bit too easy at times, but I look forward to trying the harder settings.

In the area that matters for this style game, GAMEPLAY, this game delivers!

One final note: there is NOTHING wrong with the way checkpoints are set up, some people want super easy games, this game is challenging. Learn2play.
  7. Dec 21, 2013
    Great indie game and space shooter. Bought during steam sale at 75% off definitely worth it! Soundtrack reminds me of battlestar galactica and the battles are epic as well. Immersive game. Also there is a bit of Mecha thrown in which is okay with me since I am an anime fan. Minor technical problems such as game sometimes plays windowed and had steam crash a few times which is why i rate 8/10 instead of 9 or 10. Don't let those issues stop you from playing an otherwise great indie game! Expand
  8. Dec 15, 2013
    I picked up Zone of Enders for £2 once and sat down to play it from start to finish without diverting to play other games. I did the same with X2. This game has given me that feeling again but seems to of smashed the two together. It's an indie game but it still plays better than most games I've paid £40+ for. I'mn giving it a solid eight because it's not for the die hard space sim lover but it is great fun to play if you're not one for niggly little details like your ships thruster flaps or well...Breaks. You can live without breaks you just need to adjust to this new play style. Expand
  9. AH1
    Dec 14, 2013
    While certainly not the best game I've ever played, Strike Suit Zero nevertheless scratches a space combat shooter itch that I've had since playing Tachyon: The Fringe back in the early 2000s. Indeed, SSZ seems to borrow many elements from Tachyon, including most of the mechanics, feel, and weapons. The graphics in the game are a bit underwhelming, looking more like a game from the late 00s, rather than the 2010s. Still, for an independent title that was funded through Kickstarter, SSZ is definitely worth your time. The main draw of the game--the mech transformation--is actually the least fun, in my opinion. I greatly prefer the starfighter mode to the mech mode. But, if you are looking for a no-frills space shooter that calls to mind the golden age of the genre, then this game is certainly worth that money, especially if you can get it on sale. Expand
  10. Dec 14, 2013
    I bought this game for around £4 on the Steam sale and, wow, it's great for the price, with great graphics and sound, especially considering it is an indie title.

I feel like I want to defend the game against all of the critical reviews. Wing Commander, X-wing, Tie-Fighter, Freespace, were all big studio titles. This is not a big studio title and people really should not expect it to
    have the same scope. It has clear goals which are obviously limited by budget, and it executes them well. People cannot demand more from an indie title.

The game is difficult. However, it requires multitasking and each time you fail you get better at the game, and you can revisit each mission to improve upon your score. There are also further ships to unlock.

The game is fast, loads of fun and well worth the price.
  11. Oct 25, 2013
    It's a great game! While there are a few issues with graphics (starting in windows mode instead of fullscreen & going full white screen) & sound (If level is started right after loading has finished, sound fails to fully initialize), the gameplay is excellent and very Gundam like in its play. The ability to play with the Strike Suit and target lock multiple enemies/points makes gameplay quite enjoyable. You'll be holding your breath trying to multi-task objectives and keeping ships intact. You're the center of the action. Expand
  12. Oct 24, 2013
    Strike Suit Zero is one of those games that by all means I should be infuriated by, but I'm not. The titular Strike Suit is an absolute joy to fly once mastered, but the somewhat-slippery handling while in Fighter Mode and brutally challenging missions mean you need to be perfect, which isn't going to happen. The story is nothing worth writing home about, just your generic "War between nations... IN SPACE" story with uninteresting characters with meh voice acting. Mission objectives are tired and some missions drag on past the point where they stop being fun

However, what the game does wrong with it's story, it more than makes up for it in style. Strike Suit Zero is home to some of the best visual design I've seen in ages. The backdrops are jaw-droppingly gorgeous, and Paul Ruskay's soundtrack (of Homeworld fame) is stellar. Vocals by KOKIA really add to the feel that you are playing the game equivalent of a 80's giant robot series.

All-in-all, Strike Suit Zero is too flawed to reccomend for everyone, much as I'd love to. When everything is firing on all cylinders, the game is one of the best space combat experiences I've had in a while. But those moments are fleeting in a game bogged down by long, lackluster missions and slippery controls. It's not something everyone will love, but if the idea of hopping into a robot dogfighter appeals then I'd definitely check out Strike Suit Zero.
  13. Sep 25, 2013
    If X-Wing and Freelancer would have a son, and Macross and Homeworld became a godparents, it would be Strike Suit Zero. A piece of pure awesomness arcade space action in a real 3D environment with incredible music and intuitive K+M controls.
  14. Sep 10, 2013
    I liked Rogue Squadron. I liked Starfighter. I don't like this game. Firstly, the reviews make it out to be a lot more action-mech oriented than it is. It's a dogfighter. Second, the concept art makes it seem like you'll be a guy in a robot suit fighting a bunch of ships. You only get to be the suit for short bursts, and when you're in suit mode, you're frozen in place. Third, tons more stuff is just done wrong. Explosions look boring, the camera gets unstable when shot, even worse when there's lots going on, there's a ridiculous lag problem, all ships except the suit are always moving forward, which has killed me at least once after I'd completed a mission and was just waiting for my allies (who don't help with anything and can't be commanded to handle a specific task, like covering you or protecting an allied cruiser) to stop talking so the victory cutscene would play. My skippy little spaceship crashed into some stationary debris because there's no brakes. Furthermore, I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but on my end, the soundtrack was horrible. All I heard was some feminine warbling. No pumping, John Williams-esque trumpets and strings like I expected. Just warbling. All in all, this was a severely disappointing game, and I feel extremely sorry for anyone who falls for the ruse the devs are putting up with their misleading art and description. They should be ashamed of themselves. Expand
  15. Aug 28, 2013
    one of the best games I ever played.It got all what I want space ,aircraft (spacecraft now lol) and gundam like mechs what do you want more it is a little bit hard ...but it is fun to play it and it is challenging
  16. Aug 25, 2013
    I wanted to like this, I really did. I even came back to it a few weeks later to give it another shot, but it's just utterly unforgivable garbage. Pros: Pretty visuals (after you manually fix broken files to get the textures working), interesting concept, nice sound track. Cons: Default controls unplayable, control remapping only half works and most cannot be remapped, downloads with broken textures, settings randomly reset themselves to defaults, dry uninteresting voice acting, bland mission objectives are always "kill X of this or Y of that" counters, AI copilots accomplish most objectives for you so there's no sense of involvement, buggy, unresponsive menus, need I go on? Maybe the game could be good if they did some QA and got it working, but there's just too much work required to get it in a playable state to have any fun with the monotone voice telling me to kill 20 more identical fighters for the umpteenth time. Expand
  17. Jul 30, 2013
    Strike Suit Zero is a space sim which hearkens back to the good old days of Tie Fighter vs X-Wing and (for me, at least) Freespace 1 and 2. The game's graphics are incredible. Fighters flit about with glowing contrails, lasers light up the sky, and massive capital ships fill your entire screen. The soundtrack is also excellent. It's extremely reminiscent of Relic's Homeworld games (by design, I'm sure). The overall effect is very immersive.

On the down side, the difficulty is very uneven. Some segments (especially escort missions) are almost impossible, while others are a cakewalk. Also, the flight mechanics feel a little loose. You'll spend much of the game with your thrusters on full reverse, trying like hell to remain stationary so you can shoot straight. At least so far, I've found enemy fighters aren't much of a threat to me. There's less need to dodge and weave than in some other space sims. Honestly, I've died more due to collisions than to enemy fire. The collisions are a killer, especially when you find yourself transitioning from strike to fighter modes. This can rocket you into obstacles with little warning.

All in all, I definitely recommend you pick up a copy. It's not an overly long game, and it's a great trip down memory lane for all the space sim veterans out there.
  18. Jul 21, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews, the game is fantastic, it is not too difficult, but you can turn it down to easy if its too hard for you. The fov is adjustable, controls are totally customizable, seriously some of these negative reviews are full of completely false information.
  19. Jul 20, 2013
    This game is fantastic so far. It's a fun arcade feeling type of space shooter. I've been waiting for something to capture that same feeling of excitement and intensity of Rogue Squadron from back in the day. It's been years, and finally Strike Suit Zero comes along to fill the void.

I've been playing with an xbox controller and the controls feel easy and intuitive. The graphics are
    nice and the overall feel of the game captures the mood they are trying to push. Dog fighting in space is as fun as it sounds.

Furthermore, they are going to support the Oculus Rift, which will be more than I could have ever dreamed for. It's a great time to be a gamer.
  20. Jul 19, 2013
    This game reminds me of Macross (Art Style) Homeworld (Music, Characters), Armored Core (Ship Modules) and Wing Commander(Combat Mechanics). If you are a fan of any of these you owe it to yourself to get this game. Very enjoyable and great way to indulge your space game fix.
  21. Jul 19, 2013
    I love this game, Is a best space combat simulator in years. The first missions not reflect the game's Vertigo and fast attacks. Search and destroy options. If you buy the DLC "raptor".
    if you buy "raptor" see new opportunities to destroy your enemies.
       Strike Suit infinity (expansion) is the best of this game.
    Enjoy and don´t listen the bads critics, and test for yourself this game
  22. Jul 15, 2013
    It's a shame people don't understand why this game is fun. Get 3x 27" screens and an X52 Pro flight sim controller and sit back with a glass of the good stuff and enjoy. Critical comments need not apply as this is my opinion. So trolls beware! I know where you live..... under bridges!

I have first hand experience with this game on the Oculus rift and its spectacular, mind boggling,
    unbelievable, immersive and unprecedented fun!
    It's easy to get your hands dirty in this game and yes there are spikes of difficulty but who gives a monkeys? Games are not meant to be mindless easy things that any brain dead chimp can complete at the drop of his top hat and monocle. Welcome to something that can only be classed as ground breaking good fun!

The staff on support were hands down excellent when I was having some issues with my trip screens and flight sim controller, this was a definite plus considering getting info out of most developers support is like getting blood from a stone.

I say go Indies go! Screw the AAA titles its the same old rubbish being recycled for the mindless drones out there who have no imagination or taste in terms of games. This is an indie dev that has shown us something enjoyable and fun. They should be given a good old pat on the back and commended for such an excellent contribution.

Thank you Born Ready!
  23. Jul 14, 2013
    DON'T LISTEN TO THE CRITICS! THAT ARE SO FULL OF ****
    LISTEN UP, THIS IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SEXY GRAPHICS OF SPACE, WITH InTenSE!!! AND I MEAN INTENSEEEEE ACTION SHOOTING LIKE A MOTHER FOR 6 HOURS STRAIGHT TRYING TO BEAT IT, YOUR MONEY IS ALREADY WELL WORTH IT. EVEN A HAPPY MEAL CAN'T EVEN MATCH UP TO WHAT YOU GET!
  24. Jun 24, 2013
    Unfortunately Strike Suit Zero is little more than a standard space shooter and there are better love letters to Freespace 2 out there (Tarr Chronicles, Dark Horizon). The transforming space Gundam and music made the game look excellent in the trailer but the game itself falls short.
  25. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is ridiculously hard. They came out with difficulty settings on it and even on Easy, it is ridiculously hard. It's frustrating, not fun, not challenging, just surprise you're dead for no reason. Or sometimes, surprise, you didn't get the goal because you couldn't get to it fast enough because humans aren't meant to track 5 things in the sky at the same time in completely opposite directions. Whoever directed this game, this should be your last game. It's a beautiful pile of anguish that I wish on no one. I'm so disappointed that I gave you my money for this. I will make sure not to do so in the future. Expand
  26. Jun 6, 2013
    I'm not sure what people were expecting with this game, but a lot of reviews seem to be missing the point. Strike Suit Zero is primarily an action game. In fact I'd go as far as to say the gameplay is effectively what you'd get if an indie team were to make a Devil May Cry game where Dante is replaced with a spaceship. Kill as much as you can, as fast as you can. That is essentially the goal of every mission, leading to a very arcadey feeling experience. This is in no way a realistic space game, arguably having more in common with side scrolling shoot 'em ups than slower paced games in the space genre such as the X-Wing or Wing Commander series.

If you are in the mood for some fast paced gameplay and feel like giving Strike Suit Zero a try, you'll be treated to a decently challenging game with excellent visuals and soundtrack. Graphically the game looks excellent whilst it is being played with the action never affecting the performance. The only slight issue I could complain about is that models and textures do look rather low-res when you stop and stare at them. Fortunately you'll rarely get to do this as the action keeps coming, leaving you to admire the execution of the design rather than the technical aspects of the texturing. Something that is particularly worth mentioning is the ship designs by Junji Okubo, an artist with an increasingly impressive résumé, boasting a career of experience working on both anime and video games with a strong base in the mecha genre. The soundtrack is also above par for what I'd expect, particularly from an indie production. This certainly left my eyes and ears sufficiently entertained by the setting, creating an unusually immersive experience for what most people would shrug off as a mindless action game. The plot leaves a little to be desired but is clearly not the main focus of the game. Frankly there isn't much plot, but what little there is kept me interested enough to want to see what happens next.

However... This is where the main negative comes in. The game is extremely repetitive. Remember Those great visuals and soundtrack I just mentioned? Well you'd better get used to them. By the fourth mission (out of 12) you'll have already seen or heard most of it. This would be a problem if SSZ were a higher budget game created by a larger team, but under the circumstances I think the repetitive nature of this game is something that should be forgiven. Born Ready Games only have one game under their belt, this one, and a relatively small team which has been funded largely through kickstarter.

One major negative that I found was that the beginning missions were paced rather poorly for my tastes. Despite the name of the game you only obtain the strike suit after completing a few missions, effectively leaving out several important game mechanics for a significant chunk of a first time playthrough. This is fixed when you replay missions, being able to select and fighter available to you but I still found that it made the first 3-4 missions a bit of a chore. I found my enjoyment to increase exponentially after obtaining the strike suit and getting used to the devil-trigger like power up system having access to the suit provides. In fact a lot of the replayability comes from returning to missions to try and up the rank you received, with your average ranking across all missions even having a small effect on the ending of the game.

Another low point for other people has been the difficulty level, with other people citing bad A.I and frustrating escort missions. I can see how this might be a problem, but I never suffered from it.. Generally I breezed through the missions on the first pass without even using the checkpoint system, however this is very much from the perspective of a core gamer. Despite the fact I had no problems with it, if you were thinking about purchasing SSZ the issues with the "frustrating" difficulty could be something to bear in mind if that is a deal breaker for you personally.

Overall I'd say Strike Suit Zero is easily worth a look if you are interested in a simple space shooter game with a ridiculous amount of action but not much else. If you are unsure or put off by the issues other reviewers have mentioned then it might be best waiting for it to go on sale, making a fairly cheap game even cheaper still. I can only give this game an 8 based mainly upon the technical aspects, which despite being generally excellent tend to be very repetitive. However if I were to rate the game based on the amount of fun that I had while playing it, I'd bump it up to a 9. For the 6-8 hours it took me to complete the main campaign with scores to my satisfaction I can't say I was bored or frustrated more than a couple of times, something that in my experience has happened much more frequently in most games (including many AAA releases).
  27. May 16, 2013
    When I first played, I would've rated this game a 4 because it was extremely hard, the checkpoints are ridiculous and the upgrade system is confusing. But it was extremely addicting. There are some "certain missions" (not going to spoil it) that really punish you for not having skill. However, after playing for a week, I finally got the hang of it. I don't want to brag, but I can proudly say I have unlocked all the upgrades and medals. The checkpoints don't seem to bother me much anymore.

So for a casual gamer, this game is extremely difficult and confusing. But if you have the time (in my case, I no-lifed the game), in the long run, you'll enjoy it a lot.

Plus, the setting is gorgeous. Unlike most space games, the background isn't just simply black, stars, the sun, and the occasional planet. No, it is vivid beauty asteroid fields, nebulas, asteroid fields in nebulas, exotic planets, destroyed planets, etc., and the backdrop isn't black. Sometimes it's a neon dark blue, orange, silvery-blue,sometimes with space clouds that glow. Plus, the background is one enormous gif. The developers seem to put stories in the backgrounds. But I'm not going to spoil that for you, you have to see it yourself to find out.

For those complaining about the brightness, sensitivity, and controls, may I suggest simply going to the menu and changing the settings and keybinds to your preference?

If I'm not mistaken, this game was developed here in the U.S.? Well I bet it's making the Japanese jealous.
  28. May 4, 2013
    Don't know whats with the critics because this game was great. A little bad with story but it was a great arcade game which brought me back to the space theme in games which I enjoyed as a child and also the graphics were amazing considering the intensity of the combat, stayed good throughout!
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    The game supports my Logitech G940, this reason alone makes this game worth the price. Now the gameplay itself is fairly decent, not the best in the world but still good enough to have fun. The story and voice acting is a bit weak, but that does not hamper the overall experience, if you are a Space-sim fan then you must try this game out.
  30. Feb 22, 2013
    One of the worst games of 2013 so far. Every mission is a "protect fat idiot" mission, every battle is a cluster*k, visual effects are too bright/dense and are messing with visibility, upgrade system is idiotic (considering how unhandy controls are), inadequate checkpoints.

Props for backgrounds, graphic and music

1. Apr 16, 2014
    In conclusion, as a small downloadable title there is much to like about Strike Suit Zero; its story is interesting if awkwardly told, and its gameplay is finely-tuned and worth revisiting.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    I’m under the impression that Strike Suit Zero’s developers paid attention to aspects of the game that, although important, like graphics, music, presentation, were not the truly essential ones- thus leaving important elements, like gameplay, A.I and action, to chance. [March 2013]
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    If you want to spend a night out with FreeSpace 2 in a slinky red dress, this is your game. Just don't expect thrilling dinner conversation. [March 2013, p.84]