7.3

1. Jan 24, 2013
    Backed this on Kickstarter. Thought it might tide me over a bit until Star Citizen is released... it has failed to do so even in the first 2 days.

I come from the Wing Commander / X-Wing / Tie-Fighter / Freespace 2 ilk. I know what a difficult game is. I used to get so frustrated with X-Wings save game system, where my character's progression would be permanently lost on a failed
    mission (and being picked up by the empire), that I used to "backup" my saved game file at the end of each mission to a floppy to keep it safe! The difficulty of those games, introduced some frustration, but when you actually passed the missions, you knew that it was mainly down to your improved skill as a space fighter pilot and it was immensely satisfying. Strike Suit Zero is difficult... stupidly difficult... "I want to chainsaw my PC in two kinda difficult". When I do eventually pass some of the tougher missions... I don't feel a sense of progression and achievement... I feel like I just want to get the game over with so I can see the probable disappointing ending and just be done with the game!

I feel so deflated, as this game really had the potential to be incredible, but ended up falling way short. The graphics are pretty decent, in terms of the ship models at least. The space background "vista's" are indeed pretty, but they're absolutely STATIC! I thought that Born Ready Games wanted our KickStarter money to apply all the necessary layers of polish to really make the game shine!? The menu UI feels lacklustre, the HUD elements look tacked on, like some ASCII / ASSEMBLER developer designed them in his spare time. The upgrades are attained by very "arcadey" means... i.e. "Kill x frigates" to get energy upgrade. I don't think I suck at the game, but I'm on level 10 and I have only achieved 2 of the upgrades so far. I'm beginning to think that the upgrades are essential for later levels, as I'm on mission 10 and hopelessly stuck... having tried it over 10 times! The mission designs are HORRIBLE! They're BASED on the assumption that you WILL die, and therefore at those check points you will be restored with full health and full missiles to have a better attempt at making it through the mission. What a terribly lazy mechanic for mission progression, either that or I just suck at the game... but I don't think so, I'm no Luke Skywalker, but I've shot my fair share of Womp Rats with my T-16 back home. I simply have no more motivation to continue playing the game. It has beaten me into submission like a cotton-field slave master and I've simply had enough...

Argh... I'm ranting now, I'll leave it there. Born Ready Games? Strike Suit Zero is more reminiscent of something stillborn. So much hope and expectation for it's entry into the world, but unfortunately all it brought with it, is heartache and tears.
  2. Jan 25, 2013
    I backed this on kickstarter and find myself deeply underwhelmed. How someone can make a transforming space mecha combat game feel dull and repetitive is beyond me. I think I actually enjoyed the space combat sections of Star Wars:The Old Republic more than this,and that is truly damning it with faint praise. Things that made me uninstall the game after 3 hours-
    -Narrow Field of
    Vision,Between 40 and 57 degrees are something I never want to see as my options. 70-80 make the bare comfortable minimum for me. It also makes space combat feel cramped and confusing .
    -Awful handling on the ships. The two birds I got to fly in this game both handled like WWII fighters in space, they seem to lack fine maneuverability and the game gives you few options rather than charging head on at a capital ships guns and then the ships poor handling rakes off all your shields as you scrape along the hull.
    -Repetitive mission design. Escort this, Go here kill X amount of fighter or turrets, don't let your ridiculously incompetent squadron mates die. The missions are boring, and most of the time failure is caused by allied AI incompetence.
    -Strike Suit Mode, rather than feeling like a powerful and useful transformation turns you into a sitting duck. The only thing I found it truly useful for was rapidly targeting enemy torpedoes to protect a capital ship and taking out clusters of fighters. Both of which feel like mundane baby-sitting level tasks.
  3. Feb 4, 2013
    You know, this game is something else. I am at a loss of words at how much I couldn't even like this game. And really, I just tried so hard. To be honest, I couldn't even finish the darn thing. Yes, it is indeed difficult. But I can handle difficulty. It just wasn't fun. I got to about the 10th mission, died twice and said I was done. This was of course after a long series of deaths and persistence. As previous reviewers mentioned before, I just couldn't feel that sense of accomplishment. Not to mention it is indeed about 90% escort missions. It's hard enough killing so many large fleets without having to worry about them shooting at other things besides yourself. The true point of missing game play here is the fact that you're required to hit so many targets at once, in such a quick manner, and without enough firepower. The strike suit does indeed have capabilities of putting a large number of targets down quickly, if you are skilled. But even with that, I just couldn't get to the point of being "AWESOME" at this game. No matter what tactics I used, or however many tricks I had up my sleeve, I just couldn't best this game. The only way I could win was persistence to the end. Trying the same thing over and over a little different each time. It got really old, really fast.

In the way of graphics I couldn't say the visuals were stunning. They were about mediocre to me. Perhaps my expectations were high but I just didn't see what all the fuss is about. On another point people mentioned that the audio was really something. Now I don't know if we were listening to the same game but I couldn't handle the audio. The songs were short, looped constantly, and overall rather distasteful. Someone mentioned when you actually get play the strike suit for the first time the music is awesome. I'm not hearing it really. It was one of the most annoying songs I have ever heard in an epic moment like that. So once again, disappointed. And finally the story line is so terribly put together, that I'm not even drawn into it. It has a really bland flavor that feels like a cheap knock off to so many others. There are gaps in the logic of it as well. Especially if you die, some of the death "debrief" messages give away some key points in the game before you even reach that point in the story. Fail.

Although this game isn't a total failure, it had some key points that made me say "hey that's pretty neat." (which was 90% firepower capability based) But even then, it wasn't enough to really make me go head over heels with it. It's my kinda game, my kinda genre, and my kinda style. But I wasn't amused at all. I hate to be so negative to this game but honestly I can't say otherwise. If I were given this game for free, I would've been disappointed in the end. I really found it that distasteful. I walk away, ashamed, frustrated, and not even the slightest interested in it at all. This game has actually been one of the only games ever that I never even wanted to finish. It's probably 1 of 2. Sad face
  4. Feb 15, 2014
    Not a good copy of Freelancer. The controls are terrible and the music is depressing. The graphics are good so I give it 4/10. The controls ruined it for me. I was looking for a good space fighter but bought this...
  5. Feb 5, 2013
    While the music is amazing and the visuals are definitely pretty (watching a dogfight from afar is much more fluid and natural than some other space sims I've played), I can't get past the pathetic targeting system. There are too many missions in which you need to mop up torpedoes that are once again sailing for your capital ship, and when "Target nearest in front" instead targets the interceptor about 1000 meters behind the torpedo I need to destroy before it hits said ship, I'm not longer failing a mission objective to the game difficulty so much as poor design. The missions are also very repetitive, as many have mentioned, and I don't think a difficulty curve should be represented by giving you the same objectives in mission 10 as you were getting in mission 3, but instead dropping an entire fleet with insanely accurate and powerful weaponry into the fray. It's very short-sighted design, and it was honestly disappointing. I wasn't having much difficulty with the normal objectives, mind you, just some of the special objectives that each mission has. These are essentially necessary to progress, however, as I'm not sure how you can take on the suped-up ships in the later game without the upgrades. Again, it seems poorly laid out overall, and I sorely wish the game was more satisfying than some cheaper games I've also picked up on Steam. Expand
  6. Feb 22, 2013
    One of the worst games of 2013 so far. Every mission is a "protect fat idiot" mission, every battle is a cluster*k, visual effects are too bright/dense and are messing with visibility, upgrade system is idiotic (considering how unhandy controls are), inadequate checkpoints.

Props for backgrounds, graphic and music
  7. Feb 27, 2014
    The graphics are nice, the music is really good, and the sound is well done. The game s.u.c.k.s. These are the half-wit developers who can't code a proper AI, so instead they cripple the game against you. The game takes a while to ramp up and is enjoyable-ish at first, to the point that you almost don't notice it. And then there's level 10. You and your "wing" are tasked with taking out 4 corvettes and then a squad of fighters. Your "wingmen" go off charting interstellar phenomena and testing how well their ships fly in circles while you do the work. If you survive that, you then get to test those same mad skills against a carrier, that brings along escorts and has at least two banks of plasma cannons fitted with InstantHit(TM) and NeverMiss(TM) technology (pioneered by the equally incompetent devs at LucasArts), regardless of range, your maneuvering, other things to shoot at, or anything else.

These guys are indie because no real game house would hire any of them. Even LucasArts has higher standards now.
  8. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is ridiculously hard. They came out with difficulty settings on it and even on Easy, it is ridiculously hard. It's frustrating, not fun, not challenging, just surprise you're dead for no reason. Or sometimes, surprise, you didn't get the goal because you couldn't get to it fast enough because humans aren't meant to track 5 things in the sky at the same time in completely opposite directions. Whoever directed this game, this should be your last game. It's a beautiful pile of anguish that I wish on no one. I'm so disappointed that I gave you my money for this. I will make sure not to do so in the future. Expand
  9. Aug 25, 2013
    I wanted to like this, I really did. I even came back to it a few weeks later to give it another shot, but it's just utterly unforgivable garbage. Pros: Pretty visuals (after you manually fix broken files to get the textures working), interesting concept, nice sound track. Cons: Default controls unplayable, control remapping only half works and most cannot be remapped, downloads with broken textures, settings randomly reset themselves to defaults, dry uninteresting voice acting, bland mission objectives are always "kill X of this or Y of that" counters, AI copilots accomplish most objectives for you so there's no sense of involvement, buggy, unresponsive menus, need I go on? Maybe the game could be good if they did some QA and got it working, but there's just too much work required to get it in a playable state to have any fun with the monotone voice telling me to kill 20 more identical fighters for the umpteenth time. Expand
  10. Sep 10, 2013
    I liked Rogue Squadron. I liked Starfighter. I don't like this game. Firstly, the reviews make it out to be a lot more action-mech oriented than it is. It's a dogfighter. Second, the concept art makes it seem like you'll be a guy in a robot suit fighting a bunch of ships. You only get to be the suit for short bursts, and when you're in suit mode, you're frozen in place. Third, tons more stuff is just done wrong. Explosions look boring, the camera gets unstable when shot, even worse when there's lots going on, there's a ridiculous lag problem, all ships except the suit are always moving forward, which has killed me at least once after I'd completed a mission and was just waiting for my allies (who don't help with anything and can't be commanded to handle a specific task, like covering you or protecting an allied cruiser) to stop talking so the victory cutscene would play. My skippy little spaceship crashed into some stationary debris because there's no brakes. Furthermore, I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but on my end, the soundtrack was horrible. All I heard was some feminine warbling. No pumping, John Williams-esque trumpets and strings like I expected. Just warbling. All in all, this was a severely disappointing game, and I feel extremely sorry for anyone who falls for the ruse the devs are putting up with their misleading art and description. They should be ashamed of themselves. Expand
  11. Feb 3, 2013
    If you fancy flying a space-ship with no breaks, unlimited ammo, insane amount of HP all while having toilet rolls glued to your eyelids, this is a game for you. Oh and, don't expect any actual mecha-combat when you jump in and play. Tutorial is a few hours followed by god knows how much grind before you can even unlock the first ship for it and by then, you'd already be bored to death from the laughable voice-acting and MMO grind quests IN THE SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN. Expand
  12. Jan 25, 2013
    -Narrow Field of

1. Apr 16, 2014
    In conclusion, as a small downloadable title there is much to like about Strike Suit Zero; its story is interesting if awkwardly told, and its gameplay is finely-tuned and worth revisiting.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    I’m under the impression that Strike Suit Zero’s developers paid attention to aspects of the game that, although important, like graphics, music, presentation, were not the truly essential ones- thus leaving important elements, like gameplay, A.I and action, to chance. [March 2013]
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    If you want to spend a night out with FreeSpace 2 in a slinky red dress, this is your game. Just don't expect thrilling dinner conversation. [March 2013, p.84]