Stronghold PC

8.9

1. Aug 15, 2016
    its great game with great story and very nice texture's and effective units and various houses. and speeches is was great for those years . I had many night dreams on this game and build many maps on world editors. so cool game, .
  2. May 27, 2016
    Ich spiele dieses Spiel jetzt seid 10 Jahren und hab das jetzt bei dem Kauf von Stronghold 3 bekommen. Insgesammt habe ich schon mehrere 100 Stunden mit diesem Spiel verbracht. Für 2001 ist dieses Spiel einfach nur der Hammer und macht jetzt auch noch tierisch Spaß. Man kann eigene Level, somit auch eigene Kampagnen erstellen, wo man selbst entscheiden kann wann Nachrichten vonIch spiele dieses Spiel jetzt seid 10 Jahren und hab das jetzt bei dem Kauf von Stronghold 3 bekommen. Insgesammt habe ich schon mehrere 100 Stunden mit diesem Spiel verbracht. Für 2001 ist dieses Spiel einfach nur der Hammer und macht jetzt auch noch tierisch Spaß. Man kann eigene Level, somit auch eigene Kampagnen erstellen, wo man selbst entscheiden kann wann Nachrichten von Kunschaftern, Wolf, Ratte usw. kommen und man kann entscheiden wann Angriffe kommen und wie viele Truppen dieser Angriff beinhaltet. Außerdem kann man Ereignisse erstellen, wie zum Bespiel einen Massenbrand. Die Kampangene des Spieles ist auch sehr spannend und macht auf vielen Ebenen Spaß. Empfehlen kann ich das Spiel allemahle, nur wer mehr Zeit mit Stronghold verbringen möchte und schon ein bisschen Erfahrung in Strategiespielen hat sollte lieber über einen Kauf von Stronghold Crusader nachdenken. Expand
  3. Aug 31, 2015
    There's just something about this game that touches my heart. The way it takes you from being just another lord of a small holding, sending out hunters to feed your demesne, to the leader of a full blow loyalist rebellion. Dumping oil on people is pretty fun too. RIP in peace Lord Woolsack.
  4. Jul 28, 2015
    Ok guys, please bow to one of the greatest games on Earth. I'm not much into the reviewing thing, but this game made me go: "Ok, I have to, I must, endorse it." This castle sim is not just the average simulator: it's a complex and prefect mix of all the possible aspects a medieval game needs: immersion, realism, sarcasm, playability, longevity. Seriously: I'm a medieval times addict andOk guys, please bow to one of the greatest games on Earth. I'm not much into the reviewing thing, but this game made me go: "Ok, I have to, I must, endorse it." This castle sim is not just the average simulator: it's a complex and prefect mix of all the possible aspects a medieval game needs: immersion, realism, sarcasm, playability, longevity. Seriously: I'm a medieval times addict and love pc gaming, I've tried a lot of medieval pc games and this one, even if its graphics are not that flabbergasting 3D thing, is among the best I found. Why?

1) Immersion.
    If I had to be sincere, in, say, 20 years of PC gaming, this is, to me, the most successful game as to immersion. From music and sounds (often sadly neglected in other games), preciously crafted by Robert Euvino (a great modern composer, who used a mix of ancient medieval instruments and everyday working tools to recreate ingame effects and one of the most evocative soundtracks ever) to the GUI (skillfully crafted to reflect the medieval society and its rules), to the characterization of the peasants (reflecting all of the spectrum of medieval common sense and its contradictions, with a slight accent on sarcasm) and the choice of colors (the color palette they used captures pretty much the flavour of those times).
    Believe me, you won't find any other game much immersive than this.

2) Realism.
    Here we have no inventions nor have we the feeling they chased the spectacle at all costs. They sticked to reality, and here you go: a game where you have men with low morale and a spiky staff, armed just with their courage; ye have plenty of archers who will die through the flames, while the few armored troops you can afford (either for you're poor and for the lack of iron) slowly advance, under the weight of their cuirasses. No movie-like units with weird anachronistic equipment (like the elephant with a mounted bombard in pseudo-historical Medieval II total war), no ultra-heroic stats or shiny glitsy gears coming from a fantasy world. You have the fatigue, you have wood and rock and a little of iron if God wills. You have hope and courage 'cause hey! this is not Hollywood - this is medieval times. For real. Here you will hear you attendant advising you that the near villages report an enemy approaching. Here you will hear the babies cry and their mothers taking them away, frightened by the incoming army, disappearing in their poor huts as the enemy approaches. You will see the hunters fight back the enemy even if they're not soldiers, you will see their hounds attack as well, you will experience the advantage of an elevated shooting position and that of the cover you get thanks to the apple trees. I could go on and on for ages.
    This was a game made by people who really know what Middle Ages had been. (It's not a surprise it was made in Europe, where the Roman Empire and its fall took place.)

3) Sarcasm and irony.
    In Stronghold 1 you will experience a crude world, as it necessarily was in medieval times, constantly sugarcoated by latent irony, by wisely chosen punchlines on sentences and exclamations. Everything has been thought to ease and balance the crudeness of the Middle Ages, and sums up to a great feeling. You can feel it's a game, but still you feel it's not.

4) Playability, longevity.
    You can have single player skirmishes with decent AI. You can have multiplayer matches. You can have eye-candy building matches, where all you fear are fires, famines and pestilences. You can build nearly whatever you want: the walls of your castle are totally in the hands of your creativity. Every brick can change the shape, every shape can impede your enemies in their path to your keep. You can even decide to put battlements or not. Forget about 3D graphics: this kind of games never truly needed 'em. Here you have the forest growing (and possibly invading you settlement), you have the fauna reproducing: you'll see the effects of blindly pressing on resource collection against trying to coexist with Mother Nature: will you try to dominate her (and condemn yourself to sour economic problems) or will you be annihilated by her slow but relentless power?

5) Yeah but what about WAR?
    Ah, the neighbors. This game has been the first one to implement a full and realistic siege equipment. I mean: you have siege ladders, siege towers, catapults, trebuchets, ballistas, great siege shields and so on. The enemy dag a moat around his castle? You can always send your low-armoured troops to fill it up while being shot by the enemy archers. Your engineers fail to aim properly to the walls? You can send your sappers to mine a gallery to make the walls crumble. (Look out, though, as the galleries may collapse as well - and there's no insurance on workers...) Trying to ram down the gates? Good idea, but beware of the boiling oil they're pouring from above! And... what about traps?

Guys, if you're truly into the Medieval thing, give it a try. It's a must-have. It's definitely worth while.
  5. Oct 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. great game......i love this game............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Expand
  6. Sep 23, 2014
    Bottom line, one of the best RTS games I've played. The campaign is engaging, there is a lot to do in free build, also with HD you have access to some maps created by other players which is pretty awesome. This is still tied with the original Stronghold Crusader for being the best in the series (I am writing this right after the release of Crusader II). This is Firefly's masterpiece,Bottom line, one of the best RTS games I've played. The campaign is engaging, there is a lot to do in free build, also with HD you have access to some maps created by other players which is pretty awesome. This is still tied with the original Stronghold Crusader for being the best in the series (I am writing this right after the release of Crusader II). This is Firefly's masterpiece, and I am saying this almost 13 years after its release. My one objection is, if you finish the Military and Economic Campaigns, there is not much else to do except free build and sieges, but Firefly fixed that with the addition of skirmishes with Crusader. But even with that objection I have been replaying the military campaign a lot, because it is that engaging. So, in conclusion, this is an amazing game, and makes the Stronghold Pack from Steam (Stronghold 1, 2, Legends, Crusader, and Crusader Extreme) an amazing deal. Expand
  7. Sep 22, 2014
    This game set the benchmark for Sandbox RTS games. Sadly I have yet to see any game surpass its standards.

The campaign is brilliant and its multiplayer features, however the sandbox mode can keep you busy for months and that's only on one map!

10/10 cult classic
  8. Jul 13, 2014
    One of the best RTS games of all time. Stronghold offers a somewhat complex gameplay experience as resource gathering and processing is done in greater detail than in most of the other RTS games. Never have I played an RTS where I've had more fun developing my economy. The only negative thing I can really say is the lack of being able to play against an AI opponent like in the expansionOne of the best RTS games of all time. Stronghold offers a somewhat complex gameplay experience as resource gathering and processing is done in greater detail than in most of the other RTS games. Never have I played an RTS where I've had more fun developing my economy. The only negative thing I can really say is the lack of being able to play against an AI opponent like in the expansion Stronghold: Crusader. And while there could have been a bit larger variety in the troops of the game, the game offers a fun and challenging combat system. You can defend your castle with things like moats, pit traps and boiling pitch which you dump on your enemies from the top of your walls.

Outside of the gameplay Stronghold shines even brighter. For a game that is over 10 years old, the graphics aren't dated and it has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. One of those games where you just want to play it because of the great atmosphere.
  9. Oct 21, 2013
    My old favorite spend every day playing multiplayer at home after school good memories. glad they bring back these great games Games is hard and challenging mission better than crusader, but multiplayer went back a bit.
  10. Dec 13, 2012
    Legendary game with amazing detailed processes. This is what really deserves to be called economic development in RTS. Resource gathering/food production details are incomparable. Old RTS that has deserved its place in hall of fame.
  11. Nov 26, 2012
    I just can't wrap my head around some people giving this game such a low score. The musics are really epic and fit the tone of the game really nicely. The battles get huge towards the end of the campaign. One of my favorite RTSs of all time.
  12. Dec 8, 2011
    great game...........................................................................................................................................................................
  13. ChrisS.
    Mar 9, 2004
    Good multiplayer - Nuff said!
  14. BonifacioT.Jr
    Oct 29, 2003
    Great game and lots of fun. Controls are easy to learn. The only bad part is that as it was said before the castle walls can be tricky at times. It can be easy to miss a spot and leave a gap in the castle wall.
  15. RoderickC.
    Sep 29, 2003
    One of the best strategy games I ever played.
  16. DennisDunk
    Jun 21, 2003
    It's a good game and can keep you on your pc for ages, but i feel that when you have completed the campaigns, we should get 1 extra and a lot more things to achive!!!!
  17. ColinP.
    May 13, 2003
    It rocks!
  18. NineteenShadow
    Dec 11, 2002
    Very addictive and the map editor makes it so u can play it 4ever plus there r plenty of ready made maps and missions 2 download. It is great 4 multiplayer 2.
  19. Sungwing
    Jul 9, 2002
    Great game with realistic graphics. Bad thing is no different unit formation. Otherwise its a must have.
  20. AdeC.
    Jun 7, 2002
    I cant tack my face from the screen "dead" class military missions as good as Grand Theft Auto 3
    May 15, 2002
    Lost many hours of sleep over this kick A** Game.
  22. Carsten
    Mar 29, 2002
    Great combination of fun, strategy, and education. A lot of opportunities when deciding your strategy.
  23. JamesH.
    Feb 18, 2002
    Very good, needs more cheats!
  24. JacobM.
    Feb 14, 2002
    It's better than "Age of Empires."
  25. ValentinoW.
    Feb 1, 2002
    This game is the best.
  26. JoeM.
    Jan 17, 2002
    Great game and lots of fun.
  27. TheSandmann
    Dec 5, 2001
    Pikemen ready! I love the battlecry of my troops when they pass through the gates. A must have.

1. Before now there have been some strategy games set in medieval times, but none has captured the essence and flavour of the period like the superb Stronghold.
  2. Stronghold is an intriguing and ‘fresh’ perspective on the civilization genre. It is filled with great graphical elements and sound, and plays well. This is a solid and enjoyable outing.
  3. Stronghold is a very interesting game; a game which has no equals, not because it’s that outstanding, but because there’s been so few games that can fight for the title of castle sim champion.