8.3

1. Mar 24, 2013
    First things first: BUY A 360 CONTROLLER. Seriously. The keyboard controls are crappy. Utter garbage controls. But if you use a controller to play this game, you will have a lot more fun with this masterpiece of a game. 300+ levels, secret characters, so much in this game. Now, I have beaten more levels than all of my Steam friends by at least 50. But doing so resulted in me dying over 10 000 times. THE GAME COUNTS HOW MANY TIMES YOU DIE. If you love old-school platformers, buy this game. Seriously, buy this game. Oh, I didn't leave, I'm waiting. Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2014
    um dos melhores indies já feitos, simples, uma ótima jogabilidade, perfeito, um dos seus únicos problemas é depois de um tempo ele começa a ficar enjoativo, ainda mais quando você está jogando atravéz de um teclado, dá vontade de quebrar o PC na parede
  3. Jan 11, 2014
    Very nice by the standarts of indie game. And incredibly hard, like INCREDIBLY, I almost broke my fingers and I'm only in 2nd world lol :)
    9/10 from my point of view. Old 2d-platformer fans wont be disappointed ))
  4. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is just phenomenal. It brings classic, tough, platforming with a modern polish. Don't play this game if you're expecting a well written story. Play this if you're expecting one of the greatest platforming adventures of your entire life. It's runs smoothly and the platforming system is just as smooth, it's addicting, the characters are lovable, it has a high replay-ability rate due to the massive amount of extra content included. And, if you purchase on Steam it includes a level editor! This is the ultimate package for any plat-former fan. Expand
  5. Nov 1, 2013
    This game relies solely on luck. I'm only playing it to get the achievements; otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time. Leaderboards are a joke, as players have found ways to beat levels in 0.00 seconds. This game was also clearly made for the Xbox as some menu buttons don't even work (space bar to accept option changes is completely unresponsive, for example) and Xbox controls are shown in a few areas. I'm not having any fun playing this game anymore—it's more of an assignment now. Expand
  6. AWG
    Jun 21, 2013
    Why is a console controller HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for a PC game? Is it because a keyboard is not indie enough? If you can't properly port a game, just don't do it. But I suppose that not having your game on the PC market is not indie enough...
    Super Meat Boy is a frustrating game you can only beat by repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating the same
    action again and again and again.
    Well, I guess suffering from OCD is indie enough at least.
  7. Feb 13, 2014
    Skillbased 2D side-scrolling platformer at it's finest a must have!

This will get you through some tough emotions. It will make you rage, cry, despair, break stuff but it will also deliver you an unbelievable amount of fun!
  8. Jul 13, 2013
    Truly lives up to its name of being one of the toughest platformers out there. It makes you rage a lot and I found it to be a hell of an experience playing it. There's no better feeling of beating a hard platformer for a gamer like myself. It was very long and can be played for quite some time. It is DEFINITELY worth the price if you like platformers. If you like hard platformers, marry Team Meat. (The Developers) Expand
  9. Jul 13, 2013
    Overall, Super Meat Boy for the PC is an eight. Although Super Meat Boy is a simple yet great looking game with many fantastically designed levels, I feel like the game 'cheats' too much. By this I mean unfair deaths. Most of the time when a player dies, the player will feel like it is their fault for the death. And just because Super Meat Boy is challenging does NOT mean it's unfair. I seem to die too often by the game not responding to my key presses when I jump or sway (and no, my keyboard is not wireless or cheap). The other issue that bothers me about the PC version are the control settings. There's no way to change the awkward spacing of the controls. Setting aside the rage moments, Super Meat Boy is a fun and challenging platformer with fantastic art design, epic music that will rock your socks, and overall challenging levels that will put your skills to the test. Expand
  10. Jul 23, 2013
    a original game that will have you breaking everything you own in rage, comes at an amazing price, if I had to sum up this game I would say that ITS SO FUC KING HARD!!!!!
  11. Jul 20, 2013
    It's a good game and a nice tribute to old hardcore platform games. There are some great qualities to the game, but there are equally negative traits that make the game more frustrating than hard.

1) I actually didn't find this game as difficult as people claim it to be. I think I burned through the game in a matter of 2 or 3 days very quickly. The puzzles will be very difficult to a
    casual platform gamer, but to people who can handle games like Megaman X6, this will only feel above average in difficulty.

2) I don't know if it's just me, but I find the controls unresponsive on the PC version. Sometimes it won't jump when I know for a fact I pressed jumped. I've even tested this while standing still and I know I'm not crazy. Sometimes the jump will not register and for twitch sensitive moments in the game, this is bad. You could have amazing reflexes and still die simply because a jump didn't register when it should have. I've also had issues where if you switch between left and right too quickly, it locks the control in the last direction pressed. I've died many times when I pressed left, but my character kept going right. In anycase, the unresponsive controls got me killed more times than the difficulty of the levels has. That's not cool.

3) The level design puzzles are amazing providing some really entertaining jumping puzzles, but the level design visuals are not. I don't mean that in the "this is crappy graphics" kind of way. It's the fact that it's extremely difficult sometimes to tell what is capable of killing you and what isn't. Other platform games make your enemies obvious. I've spent quite a bit of time "testing" what killed me and what didn't. A player should never have to do that.

4) I really enjoy the music and it adds a nice bit of energy, but not much. I think the game could do with some catchier rhythms to make the adrenaline rush much smoother.

Overall, it's a great game with great level designs and puzzles, but in terms of quality, I feel like this game carries design and technical flaws that forces me to rate it lower than platform games I've enjoyed in the 90s. Gameplay mechanics like forcing me to learn timing, memorization, etc are fine. Forcing me to squint at the screen to try and discern what objects are what is not.
  12. Aug 2, 2013
    This game is incredibly fun.

In my opinion, this is really the only measure by which video games should be rated. You might argue the graphics don't match up to a AAA title. You might argue the story is an excuse plot. You might even argue that some of the humour is immature. And you'd be right. But the game is still a masterpiece in my mind.

The real genius of the game is the steep
    learning curve but incredibly precise controls. Although many of the levels are, quite frankly, absurdly difficult, with practice it will become clear how to progress through the level. Muscle memory is king in this game. Meat Boy becomes your avatar in nearly every sense of the word; if you play long enough, it will get to the point where you know exactly how to maneuver Meat Boy through the mazes of buzzsaws, salt, needles, lasers, and any number of other environmental and sentient hazards.

A word to the wise: if you are looking for a game that can be beaten easily and quickly, this game is not for you. If you are looking for one of the greatest platforming games ever, look no further.
  13. Aug 8, 2013
    The hardest game I have ever played. However that's just what separates it from other platformers, its rewarding when you finally beat that tough level and the creative level design make it a masterpiece
  14. Aug 20, 2013
    A platformer that breaks rule number one for it's genre and of course I mean DON'T MASSACRE THE CONTROLS! On top of the god awful control scheme the game is just boring. They wanna be like retro platformers but they failed to be even as interesting as the original Super Mario Bros. It's sad because I absolutely loved the Binding of Isaac.
  15. Oct 1, 2013
    One of the best platformers I have ever played. Great levels with really good difficulty. There are many different characters to unlock that have special abilities. You can also unlock much harder versions of the original stages. While playing this on the PC, a controller is strongly recommended.
  16. Nov 25, 2013
    Best platformer i have ever played!! Awesome fluid gameplay & creative levels.. but it is so damn HARD!! remember to use gamepad on pc as the keyboard controls suck....
  17. Sep 25, 2013
    This game's the reason behind my screen name. It is amazingly difficult and addictive, as any good game should be, so you always have an incentive to play it through to the end. The story line is enticing and I grew to actually care about the characters, just like you would in a film. The ideas behind the construction of the game, levels (Having an initial "Light world" set of levels and when you've aced those you unlock the more challenging "Dark World" levels) is great, and the cut scenes are the icing on the cake.

tl;dr it makes mario look like a pile of arse

Probably my favourite game ever.
  18. Oct 13, 2013
    technical Issues 5 ]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All 6.6
  19. Nov 5, 2013
    Fun, hilarious, challenging, inspired, and a prime example that a small team of truly driven artists can create something on par (and better in many ways) with what a lot of big name companies with huge teams are capable of. Super Meat Boy will take your hand-eye and your patience to it's limit all while you laugh at the sheer brilliance that is this game. I've honestly never had so much fun dying over, and over again. Expand
  20. Nov 5, 2013
    Someone in the reviews actually said this game is "fair". They ought to be a politician. Anyways, Super Meat Boy. It's another faux-retro hardcore platformer because you know, we're in short supply of THOSE.

First thing you'll notice when you power it up is that it has messages like "Anyone who says Keyboard is better than controller get shot in the face", because you know: showing
    contempt for your audience gets you a 90 on Metacritic. Good.

The next thing you'll notice is that "indie sense of humor" which consists of toilet jokes and references. Always makes me laugh when nerds slam Epic Movie (which don't be confused, is awful) for "only making references" then turn around and praise things like Scott Pilgrim and Super Meat Boy for the same thing because it references things they like. But anyways, it's not funny, but most indie games aren't.

Super Meat Boy's graphics are awful. It's literally a Flash game. Anyone could code it and put it up on Newgrounds for free. Also, since it's coded in flash, it's inconsistent. Here's an example of why the programming in Super Meat Boy is crap: There's a custom level hub (also janked) which includes "auto boy" levels, where the intent is to stand still and not move and the level architecture will carry you to the goal automatically, kind of like a "DDA" map in N (An example of a hardcore platformer done... I wouldn't say "right", but at least "better"). The problem? The results are completely random if you'll make it or not because Flash is more unstable than Syd Barrett. Also, glad to see that Edmund McMllen includes characters from all the other bad indie games (Minecraft, VVVVVV, I Wanna Be The Guy, Braid, etc). I love indie circlejerks. Game sucks. Never play it. Make Edmund McMillen get a real job. 1/10 because it has good music
  21. Nov 8, 2013
    This is one of the best platforming games I have ever played. It can be quite frustrating at time, as you must restart each level if you die. Super Meat Boy is the most precise platformers I have played, and is for experienced gamers. The story line is a parody of most Mario games, and this makes it very enjoyable. Each character is very interesting and the cut-scenes are fun to watch. For the price this game jam packs a ton of contents and is definitely worth the money. Simply amazing. Expand
  22. Nov 18, 2013
    You will die. Thousands and thousands of times. You will rage. You will throw controllers and smash keyboards. And, if you are persistent, you will know the sweet taste of victory.

Super Meat Boy is the pinnacle of platforming. Combining crisp controls with creative and (extremely) challenging levels along with tons of unlockables you'll find Meat Boy scratches the platforming itch.

If you are looking for a good platformer to finish over a weekend, think again. But if you are looking for a true test of your abilities, a test that took me almost two years to 100%, this is the game.
  23. Aug 23, 2014
    I am all about platformers, especially challenging ones. If you hate the feeling of dying over and over again, missing precise jumps by a HAIR and maybe I'll finally get it on my hundredth try SON OF A **** I WAS THIS CLOSE THIS GAME IS STUPID AND UNFAIR ARGH SMASH THE CONTROLLER then you will not like this game. However, if you love the feeling of finally NAILING IT, the overwhelming sense of accomplishment that is the reason we play these games, then there is nothing better than Super Meat Boy. You'll hate it most of the time, but when you love it you will LOVE IT!

The art is very well done. The characters are likable, the environments very interesting and the cut scenes are pretty funny. The music is excellent, if I was the type to listen to game music around this would be on my phone. What takes center stage is the control. Meat Boy is an extension of yourself and will do exactly what you tell him to. I can't rave about this enough. When you're flying through the air you can feel it. When you're sticking to a wall you can feel it. It's a superb achievement by the developer(s). There are also tons of levels, great variety in level design and mechanics, plenty of unlockables (including the unbelievably hard to get protagonist from I Want To Be The Guy, took me hours to get him), plenty of secrets... right now Steam says I have played 56 hours, pretty remarkable for a platformer.

I thought about rating this a 9 for one simple reason - an extremely frustrating bug that would make certain game objects (like walls of buzz saws) move too fast to get some secrets. I think it was a problem with the objects moving based on a fixed frame rate for the xbox that didn't translate correctly to PC. I was able to work around it somehow - it was a while ago and I don't remember what I did - but it was EXTREMELY frustrating. I wouldn't be surprised if this problem was patched by now though.

Read my first paragraph again. If it rings true for you then you already know you need this game.
  24. Apr 16, 2014
    Really hardcore platformer with amazing graphics and soundtrack. Handling with controller is fabulous, there was no moment when I was blaming this game for failure and it is important about games like this. Just perfect.
  25. Dec 14, 2013
    This game was super hard platforming game which made me rage, hit my desk, and screamed at Dr. Fetus. This game gets an 8 because of the even harder controls on a PC if using a keyboard. I could not beat this game, it took me over 200 tries to complete the first boss. This game stays at an 8 because of the characters available for PC making the game easier, also you can plug in a controller which is good too for the PC. Team Meat thanks for this game! Expand
  26. Jan 2, 2014
    This is by far, the most fun I've had with a platforming game in a very long time. And also probably the best platformer from the last five years. Let me just say, I like this more than Mario. There, I said it. It is freaking better than Mario. The controls (while you might not call the arrow keys and spacebar good controls) are so fluid, that I feel like the keyboard is part of my hand. It's the simple joy of trial-and-error platforming. So, It's like Mario Wii, but three times harder, three times more fun, and none of that "super guide" crap that got you through the levels when you were five. I'll admit it can be a little too frustrating at times, but that just teaches you to get better. And what can be said about the music? It's good. It's really good. It's Super Mario Galaxy good. 8-Bit rock and roll per-freaking-fection good. It just adds to the amazing and frustrating experience of...

SUPER MEAT BOY!!!!
    (And sorry for comparing it to Mario so much. Mario is a natural scale of good platforming, and the only one that absolutely EVERYBODY would recognize.)
  27. Jan 1, 2014
    Perfect, beautiful, amazing, challenging, awesome, funny, probably the best platformer ever made.
    Difficult, but still fun, even when you had to try again 500 times. A must have game!!!!
  28. Jan 27, 2014
    One of the worst games I've ever played, very stupid, without humor, you only need to click buttons quickly and aptly. Game is difficult but success depends on luck because beyond stupid clicking the game has nothing to offer. I don't recommend it unless you have nothing to do, and nerves of steel. I bought it for a little more than 1€ so it isn't a tragedy, according to me this is the real value of this **** Expand
  29. Feb 27, 2014
    The hate-it-or-love-it-game.

I absolutely love the game.

The graphics are somewhat far beyond 1995 but the characters, gameplay, achievs and also the story are freaking fantastic. Try 'I wanna be the guy' in order to check your ambition for this type of game. There is also the flash version of Meat Boy somewhere around in the web. Check your ambition before buying. Can't say it often
    enough.

I used x360 controller from the beginning. As the effing thing went dead I had to play with keyboard for some days. Absolutely not playable. So be sure to have som Gamepad.

I hope there will be other good plattformers coming in the future times. Until that I will continue trying to beat some of the finger-crippling hardmode levels that Super Meat Boy offers.

Now get going and kick some Fetus-asses or play some more days in Sims3 or some sort of pony riding game :)
  30. Apr 15, 2014
    И ещё одна супер хардкорная игрушка под название Супер Мясо Пацан уже готова заставить вас заменить две а то и три клавиатуры и натереть вам кровавые мозоли на пальцах! Для гетто тащеров можно произвести замену всего компьютера по желанию :) Игра очень сложная и требует очень много времени дабы её пройти(ну или попробовать пройти). Лично я прошёл только 2 главы из всех(не помню сколько их, 10 или где то так). По этому я ставлю ей 9/10. И помните, если у вас слабая психика и вы не хотите загубить и её - не играйте в Супер Мясного Пацана!!! Expand
  31. May 26, 2014
    My absolute #1 game of all time, the controls are completely fantastic and the way you move is exactly how a 2D platform is supposed to function, and with over 200 levels and an online mode, this game is amazing.
  32. Jun 10, 2014
    Magnífico juego para ver gran cantidad de mecánicas de los juegos de plataformas. Muy interesante para desarrolladores que quieran hacer un juego de este tipo. Buena compra calidad-precio.
  33. Jun 22, 2014
    It's an awesome game! One of the best games that I have played!! I really enjoy it and I would definitely recommend it.
    However, let me warn you, it's a difficult game, I looked into my statistics and I have died already 2000 times when I was into 7 hours of play (which include video, loading time, and level control selection)!
  34. Jun 26, 2014
    In my opinion this is one of the two best platform games ever made; the other being Super Mario World. The controls are intuitive and responsive. You die a lot but it never feels unfair. It's a tough game but you always feel a few tweaks, a bit more practise and you'll beat the level. The level design is brilliant and the difficulty curve progressive. You'll look back at levels you thought challenging an hour ago and chuckle at how trivial they now seem. In summary a brilliant game that will give you sweaty hands! Oh .. don't play without a controller. Expand
  35. Jul 21, 2014
    Super Meat Boy is designed around one thing, platforming. It does this supremely well, and everything else in the game is designed to augment and enhance the platforming experience.

As you might imagine, the game play is everything here, and it’s perfectly executed. The controls take time to get used to, but once that happens (10+ hours in) you will be able to understand and exploit
    levels implicitly. Also, as you might have heard, SMB is HARD, especially on the final world and dark worlds. However it is always fair to you. It never tries to trick you or ambush you, levels never change, and you know that if you die it was your mistimed keystroke/button-mash that did it. The fun comes from trying out new strategies to get through the assault course before you, and the joy you’ll feel from completing a level you’ve been stuck on for the last 45 minutes is unlike many other gaming experiences. This sets it apart from games like "I wanna be the guy" which is an exercise in masochism. Also, once you die, and you will die a lot, the level immediately resets, which cuts down on the boring waiting between level attempts (only the warp zones and glitch zones don’t which is kind of annoying).

The sound design is phenomenal. Seriously, phenomenal. I can't think of many other games that have such a well crafted score, especially for an indie game. It always captures just the right mood for the level you are in: easy, difficult, zany, hectic, epic, cute, apocalyptic, tense, it's all there. It also makes it easier to replay a level for the 50th time since you get to listen to such a great track again. The music style is fast paced and reminiscent of old arcade games, which is a nice nod to its roots.

The story is not really designed to be immersive, like many other A* games out there, but instead provides a very enjoyable backdrop for your platforming, full of quirky humour and irreverence. The lightheartedness of the story perfectly offsets the brutal difficulty of the game, and the humour makes you laugh when you should be throwing your controller across the room. The characters never speak, but the story is conveyed through facial expressions and a narrator, both contributing to an arcade like atmosphere that doesn’t take itself too seriously, making for an awesome game.

The graphics, much like the soundtrack, are not the centre of the game, but make the platforming easier and more enjoyable. The sets are colourful and vibrant, and each world has its own distinctive theme to it. Contrast between platform, player and background is good and crisp, meaning you won’t get confused during your hectic level dashes. The cinematics between worlds are high quality and serve to move the story along.

Even once you beat a level, that’s not it. There’s so much more to do to unlock other interesting characters and achievements. Beat the level timed runs, collect bandages, beat the dark worlds, beat warp zones, beat glitch zones, and for those who’s badassery is measured in MCkN (mega Chuck Norrises) and have already done all that, go on Super Meat Boy world/Teh Internets and try to complete some of the fan made stuff there.

It’s also really nice to see characters appearing from other indie games, included as additional unlockable characters with special abilities that your titular protagonist does not have. This allows you to try out another character if super meat boy can’t get that one bandage you need to collect.

This game should really get a 10, and is the best platformer I’ve ever played. Why only a 9 then? For me at least, it’s the buggiest game I’ve ever played. I play the steam version on Windows Vista, and crashes during loading are commonplace, though thankfully not often during very long and difficult levels. I don’t know if its Steam’s fault, since I’ve had problems with a number of incompletely function Steam versions of games (e.g. Max Payne), but I can only rate my experience, so there it is.

Now, Super Meat Boy is not a broad game. If you don’t like platforming, don’t buy it. If you don’t like a game to test your resolve and challenge you skill to their limits, don’t buy it. It is a tightly formed, focused, perfectly crafted, exceptionally fun platformer and its completion is designed to be a badge of honour letting the internet know how awesome you are.

Buy it. Try it. Get killed. Lots.
  36. Nov 5, 2013

contempt for your audience gets you a 90 on Metacritic. Good.

Indie gaming at its retro-loving best, with some of the most cunningly-designed and purposefully infuriating 2D gameplay of the year.
  2. Jun 1, 2011
    Blood, action, romance. Super Meat Boy Ultra Edition has got it all.
  3. May 3, 2011
    Oldschool-Jump and Run at its finest!