8.3

1. Dec 1, 2010
    Super Meat Boy revives the painful old days of restricted technology that forced game developers to make unintuitive and difficult games to make their products last longer. On top of that, it adds silly "features", which might as well be called gimmicks for what they're worth, such as "boss battles" and extra playable characters. The boss battles are nothing more than a regular level with a big object following the character, while extra characters work the exact same way as Meat Boy, with silly, gimmicky "abilities" that nobody will ever use, at the cost of speed.
    But unsatisfied with the state of their game, Team Meat has also shipped the game on PC without testing it on different configurations, resulting in missing graphics elements, glitches everywhere, frequent crashes and a lack of support for direct input controllers. Talk about a lack of polish.
    The rest of the game consists of jumping, running and avoiding saws. and holes. That's basically it. Story? No big deal, let's just make a short animation at the beginning of the game and call it a day.
    There's also the fact that the main character is a piece of meat trying to save a girl made from bandages from a fetus in a jar in a suit. Tasteless. Also reminds me of Super Mario. This game is original, too.

I added two points to it for tricking me into buying it in the first place. But ultimately, Super Meat Boy is an incredibly disappointing "game" (or should I call it a "chore"?).
  2. Jun 17, 2011
    There is an easy mistake to make when making a game to be 'challenging' unfortunatly team meat made this mistake. The games difficulty is definitly for the masochists, which is a good thing, because i love platformers, and im something of a masochist myself. however i know that this game will not appeal to the masses. However even i cant take the pain of laggy controls, jumpy graphics, and all together glitchyness.
    To this day this problem occurs! its been a while since the game was released, so why am i still having these problems?

I know not everyone is having the problems im having, but the game should run perfectly on ALL hardware out thereat this stage, its nothing short of a flash game really...

the proof: cheap laptop with intel graphics accelerator on-board, celeron processor and 1GB ram runs perfectly...

laptop with ati radeon 3200 graphics, amd athlon x2 processor and 3gb ram, buggy as hell, and completely unplayable!..

my gaming rig with ati radeon HD 5770, amd athlon II x4 and 4gb ram, laggy and buggy, pretty much unplayable!

why is it that on a rig where i can play crysis on high settings with 40-60fps, i cant get 15fps on a 2d retro-esque game?

the answer: bad QM and lazy devs

there have been numerous updates to the game and still no fix for me!

On top of all that this game is nothing like the classics that we grew up with, anyone who says it is obviously didnt grow up with the classics, you see on the NES the controls responded when you input something with less than a 1 second delay
  3. Jan 6, 2011
    Whoever said this game is fun is a masochist. It's fun if you like replaying the same bloody level 40 times because there's no way to beat it aside from trial and error and mind-numbing memorization of button sequences until you could play the level blind-folded. Oldschool my @$$. What is up with people's obsession with "oldschool" anyway? Oldschool sucked. Mario sucked ... sure, it was great at the time, because *there was nothing else.* While I'm at it, guess what else? Goldeneye sucks too. It's not "the greatest FPS of all time." Try playing it on an HDTV? It looks like garbage and it controls even worse. It was just the best of what was available. People's over-bloated infatuation with nostalgia is beyond puzzling. People always want to think "the good old days" were better. Really? In the "good old days" people used to die from diarrhea. The "good old days" blew. This blows. Stop pretending it's awesome just because it references gaming in the 80s... Expand
  4. Apr 18, 2011
    I was very kindly gifted SMB on Steam by a friend so I had no reason not to like this game, I paid nothing for it and I'm a big fan of platformers dating back to the original two Oddworld titles.

My first problems arose with the game when it very rudely tells you to use a gamepad rather than a keyboard. PC games are designed for PC and therefore should always play better with a
    keyboard+mouse with a gamepad being a player preference on some titles.
    The game is literally IMPOSSIBLE with a keyboard so it loses points for forcing you to own a gamepad and even then it didn't recognise my PS3 controller and struggled to register my 360 controller.

The game takes place in several stages such as a Forest and a Hospital. Sadly you see little of these good tilesets as most of the game takes place in subterranean passageways.

However now we come to the games big problem, the difficulty. This is a game that tries to hard to be hard. The game certainly is not hard but merely frustrating. You shouldn't have to repeat a stage over and over to complete it using trial and error rather than observation and technique. A good platformer is hard due to it being complex and clever, SMB is hard due to frustrating controls and enemy placements.

I liked the soundtrack but sadly it does little to save the game, I really wanted to like SMB but due to the controls and the frustrating nature of the game it comes off as a rather bland and outdated platformer.

If a Platformer fan is considering getting SMB I would recommend instead the free N-Game or the two excellent Oddworld platformers which are available through Steam.
  5. Jun 2, 2014
    I'd been meaning to pick up Super Meat Boy for a while so when I saw it cheap in the Steam sales I naturally decided to download it. For those that don't know Super Meat Boy is a difficult, fast paced, 2D platformer that challenges the player to complete a series of short levels in order to reach the goal (The goal being Super Meat Boy's girlfriend) each time.

My first impressions were
    that the controls, particularly for the vital skill of wall jumping, weren’t exactly intuitive and made even the most basic of levels more complicated than they would otherwise be. Hoping that a bit of practice would help I played through a good few levels but quickly became frustrated at dying over and over again as a result of struggling with the controls. Perhaps I gave up too quickly but I play video games for enjoyment (and a decent challenge can be part of that) and I simply didn’t enjoy Super Meat Boy. Expand
  6. Mar 9, 2013
    The game-play in Super Meat Boy deserves a solid 8. But I'm going to give it a 4 anyway. Why? Because the PC port feels horribly unpolished.

An XBox 360 controller is (understandably) the recommended method of controlling Meat Buy. But does a it work out the box? No. The buttons mapping is completely mangled with no way of reconfiguring in-game. So fixing up the input config file
    I eventually got the stage controls to work but the menus are still buggered.

Whatever, I can deal with that; except that there are parts of the menu that are unreachable with a mangle button setup. Oops. Fortunately having done a bit of game-dev specifically controller input I got the feeling that it was a Human Interface Device gone wrong. Fine, found it and removed it from the Device manager and everything worked.

I should be happy. No, I've spent my time fixing issues the developers should have dealt with. Added to the controller woes: SMB does not start on some machines (screen remains black) and the graphics are messed up on others (mostly black textures) making it unplayable.

A good concept? Yes. A good implementation? No.
  7. Aug 12, 2012
    This game pretty much epitomizes everything that is wrong with video game development today. There is only frustration to be found here. When people talk about video games making kids dumber they are talking about games like this.
  8. May 13, 2012
    Yes, that's a true, honest platformer game, but come on... "game of the year", "biggest surprise", "awesomeness" and "charm", "a story so moving", "epic boss fights"??? Perhaps I've bought another Meat Boy, the one with a tasteless story and nothing-special-gameplay. As for the "tough as nails platformer difficulty" idea itself - didn't we have IWBTG since 2007 or something like that? I definitely don't understand what all the hype about Meat Boy game is about. Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2012
    Another stupidly hard "indie" platformer. Ugly, ridiculously hard and unfun, shoehorned boss battles, stupid "meme" garbage and poor PC support. The only positive thing I can think to say about it is it has a lot of levels but I don't want to play them. You'd have to be a real masochist to play this trash; there are better platformers out there that you haven't played yet, I guarantee it.
  10. Dec 28, 2012
    This game certainly takes a lot from it's newgrounds origins; and not in the good way, so there's occasionally good ideas that could have gone somewhere in the direction of interesting, the devs had neither the intelligence nor the technical skill to pull it off. For all the hype I'd heard about its controls, I found them to be nearly unusable (and by the way; insulting PC gamers who don't own a XBox 360 controller? real grown up, Team Meat), if there's the slightest clue that you might be near a wall, the game will interpret every action you take as something to do with wall jumping. The levels are also badly designed: the platforms are always the exact distance apart to make the timings of the dash and jump buttons incredibly fiddly, destroying any flow the level had, and the graphical design on the level is just plain idiotic, as pretty much everything is the same colour on each stage, so the "hectic pace" is slowed down by you squinting at the screen to see if you're next to a crumbling block or a sawblade launcher Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    This game relies solely on luck. I'm only playing it to get the achievements; otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time. Leaderboards are a joke, as players have found ways to beat levels in 0.00 seconds. This game was also clearly made for the Xbox as some menu buttons don't even work (space bar to accept option changes is completely unresponsive, for example) and Xbox controls are shown in a few areas. I'm not having any fun playing this game anymore—it's more of an assignment now. Expand
  12. Jun 16, 2013
    Nice atmospheric fast game, but too buggy (Linux version from Humble Bundle seems like stable, but Windows version from steam is full of bugs). It's annoying when game freezes or crashes on "hot" moment. And it makes me angry, when saves are broken. Again.
  13. Jul 29, 2013
    perfect for the masochist 12 year old. Difficult for the sake of being difficult, unintuitive controls (on top of that insults non-gamepad users).

There's little variation in game play, obstacles, etc. and the story is cookie cutter.

Still feels like a flash game.
  14. Aug 20, 2013
    A platformer that breaks rule number one for it's genre and of course I mean DON'T MASSACRE THE CONTROLS! On top of the god awful control scheme the game is just boring. They wanna be like retro platformers but they failed to be even as interesting as the original Super Mario Bros. It's sad because I absolutely loved the Binding of Isaac.
  15. Nov 5, 2013
    Someone in the reviews actually said this game is "fair". They ought to be a politician. Anyways, Super Meat Boy. It's another faux-retro hardcore platformer because you know, we're in short supply of THOSE.

First thing you'll notice when you power it up is that it has messages like "Anyone who says Keyboard is better than controller get shot in the face", because you know: showing
    contempt for your audience gets you a 90 on Metacritic. Good.

The next thing you'll notice is that "indie sense of humor" which consists of toilet jokes and references. Always makes me laugh when nerds slam Epic Movie (which don't be confused, is awful) for "only making references" then turn around and praise things like Scott Pilgrim and Super Meat Boy for the same thing because it references things they like. But anyways, it's not funny, but most indie games aren't.

Super Meat Boy's graphics are awful. It's literally a Flash game. Anyone could code it and put it up on Newgrounds for free. Also, since it's coded in flash, it's inconsistent. Here's an example of why the programming in Super Meat Boy is crap: There's a custom level hub (also janked) which includes "auto boy" levels, where the intent is to stand still and not move and the level architecture will carry you to the goal automatically, kind of like a "DDA" map in N (An example of a hardcore platformer done... I wouldn't say "right", but at least "better"). The problem? The results are completely random if you'll make it or not because Flash is more unstable than Syd Barrett. Also, glad to see that Edmund McMllen includes characters from all the other bad indie games (Minecraft, VVVVVV, I Wanna Be The Guy, Braid, etc). I love indie circlejerks. Game sucks. Never play it. Make Edmund McMillen get a real job. 1/10 because it has good music
  16. Jan 27, 2014
    One of the worst games I've ever played, very stupid, without humor, you only need to click buttons quickly and aptly. Game is difficult but success depends on luck because beyond stupid clicking the game has nothing to offer. I don't recommend it unless you have nothing to do, and nerves of steel. I bought it for a little more than 1€ so it isn't a tragedy, according to me this is the real value of this **** Expand
  17. Mar 9, 2013

I eventually got the stage controls to work but the menus are still buggered.

A good concept? Yes. A good implementation? No.

Indie gaming at its retro-loving best, with some of the most cunningly-designed and purposefully infuriating 2D gameplay of the year.
  2. Jun 1, 2011
    Blood, action, romance. Super Meat Boy Ultra Edition has got it all.
  3. May 3, 2011
    Oldschool-Jump and Run at its finest!