6.3

1. Apr 28, 2012
    This game is the most stupendous amazingly incredible experience I've had in ages. Any fan of good things owes it to themselves to play this game; it's just that good.
  2. Jun 5, 2012
    This game is visually amazing! Nice story (maybe a little bit strange) with wonderful music. In fact, I think the music fits like a glove. I liked the Zelda similarities.
  3. May 1, 2012
    These is an amazing game! It's the complete package. The visuals, the story, the tone, the wonderful soundtrack all come together to give you a completely immersive experience with only the simplest of gestures when it comes to the controls and even through the choice of pixel art. This is a game that will be on my favorites list for all time.
  4. Dec 10, 2013
    I don't understand all these bad reviews, the game is a unique gem of an experience with incredible visuals, moving sound design, and a story that is truly unique both in implementation and presentation.

I don't even like point and click adventures, yet I ended up buying 3 more copies to gift to friends via steam,

theres this one part where youe ven get to like improvise music in the
    forest with the ingame version of the soundtrack artist (sry forgot the name) and it literally moved me by how beautiful it was, no joke.

Anyway, good story, great graphics, great music, good gameplay, what more could you ask for? Well in my case I would ask for the ability to understand the people who gave this game 1's and 2's...
  5. Apr 30, 2012
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery is one of those games that you realy don't see coming. It triumphes in sound and visual design and features a new take on musical gameplay and puzzle solving. The visual design is pixel-art' tish or 8 bit type containing lots of particles and visual surprises. The puzzles are what make the game stand out from others as they require the player to constantly try out new possibilities. Some may not seem logical at first but the game gives certain hints after some time in form of a onscreen thought or through a dialogue with an npc hinting to a special way of solving a puzzle. There is also a combat part which is fairly simple and mostly includes pressing the right button at the right time. Fights never get annoying or fall short as they are well placed and don't get on the players nerves while playing. In terms of story, the game features a very linear but good plot that makes the player want to see what happens next and never gets ahead of the actual gameplay as they both seamlessly fit together. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery also has a great soundtrack that adds to the whole experience and makes the game stand out even more. The best thing is that the soundtrack is separately included also in the pc version of the game. It may not be a long game (took me around six hours to complete) but for 5,99â Collapse
  6. May 14, 2012
    This is probably one of the most memorable games I've played in a long time; the main reason is that it is unique both graphically and musically and uses some interesting mechanics that I have not seen in any other game. The music by Jim Guthrie is fantastic and really has a prog rock feel to it. Graphics are old-school and yet work really well. This game just goes to show that you don't need powerful, high-def graphics to create a meaningful experience. One of the highlights of the game (of many) is the battles with the "trigons." I don't know what it is, but the music and graphics are so intense, along with it actually being the only challenging part of the game, that by the end of each of these battles my heart was literally pounding. I cannot remember the last time a game did that. As you can see from the reviews, this game is quite polarizing. It's not for your CoD type of gamer or someone who is into sports games. If you like artful games like Limbo or Journey, you will enjoy this game. It's only $8 on Steam and you get a free download of the soundtrack of the game, which is a great deal. Expand
  7. Jun 24, 2012
    I'm going with the whole "short and sweet" review standpoint here, because that's really what it is. The game was somehow touching, mostly through its music it managed to immerse me in a sidescrolling pixelated work of art.
  8. Jun 5, 2012
    It won't be for everyone, but it accomplishes its vision beautifully. An homage to classic 8 bit console adventures, but also inheriting an adventure legacy of Kings Quest, Myst, and other similar style games from the PC past. Great fun on the iPad, looks great on the PC. The soundtrack is also very special, one of the best for a video game in years.

You need to have patience, and an
    ability to appreciate their whimisical approach to exploration. Its not a stats ladden RPG. There's minimal violence. And nostaliga is a big part of this game; if you missed gaming in the 1980s on the PC or Nintendo, you might not catch some of the subtleties of this game. Expand
  9. Jun 14, 2012
    Most of the kids here gave this game a low score due to the fact this isn't Cawadooty 16 or baddlefield -3. The fighting mechanic, exploration, story, and game pacing is fine. The music and visuals are very unique and amazing. I'm happy I spent the money on this title. I got a very good experience out of it. Well worth it. inb4 "hurr durr dev trying to defend gaem hurrrrrrrrfagetrrrrr"
  10. Jun 25, 2012
    This is one of my all time favorite games. I fell in love with it when I first purchased it for the iOS. When I heard that it was coming to the PC, I nearly broke my neighbor's ears with my fangirly screams of joy. This game is intelligent and gorgeous in so many ways. So if you're a fan of brains and beauty, take this little gem out for a date you will never forget.

The art style
    of the game is bar none. It's a modern-day version of an Impressionist painting, a pixelated masterpiece. From just one playthrough, I amassed over 75 in-game screenshots that I now use as my desktop wallpapers. Superbrothers really brought their A-game when designing recognizable, yet incredibly simplistic, characters that would feel right at home on my old NES.

The gameplay is very slow, but encourages exploration. This rhythm-based point-and-click encourages you to "touch" the scenery, often creating interesting reactions and cool sounds. The high point of gameplay occurs during your own personal jam session with Jim Guthrie, the game's soundtrack composer. Being able to "play" along with Jim is absolutely fantastic.

Which brings me to the soundtrack. It is the best music you will ever hear. Any other attempt to describe how perfect it is would not be enough.

Some would complain that the story is dull, and the writing is poor. That the graphics are gimmicky and wear off quickly. That the gameplay is pathetic. I say phooey on them. Gamers don't believe in a simple. yet effective, story. Not anymore. This is a highly personal game that represents the awkward transition from snarky teen to responsible adulthood.
    Be warned: it does have a fairly limited playthrough value. But the soundtrack makes it so worth it. Check it out, so we can be cosmic friends forever, okay?
  11. Jun 29, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery is not a game that can be reviewed as game because it is an interactive experience. What does that mean? It means to play it you have to give yourself whole to the game and immerse into the world although it doesn't even has a tutorial... that's part of the voyage and the discovery.

Beautiful -8 bits-like graphics that leave a lot of details to be filled by your
    imagination is something some young gamers won't understand, and intuitive try and try again gameplay and controls can be frustrating for those who wants to know everything right now. But everything clicks into place very quickly and you'll be able to breeze through it in no time.

Non-complex gameplay is intended to enjoy the experience... this is not a game about challenges but a simple story told through our actions and errors. The music ties perfectly with this simple visuals and controls, peaceful natural sounds like a waterfall in the background with clear guitars.

The game has some replayability too with some achievements that can be completed in a quick 2nd go at the game (once you finish it the first time the second time will go by very quickly) and there is at least two puzzles that have more than one solution and may keep you coming back to try another time.

It's a short game, but more importantly it's a deep experience if you are willing to give yourself to it and accept it as is. Simple graphics, simple controls, simple music, simple story... but a great experience.

The tweeter thing is optional so don't cry about it! xD
  12. Aug 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was advertised as an audiovisual experience, and it did not disappoint. With a fantastic soundtrack from Jim Guthrie and amazing 8-bit graphics, complete with cute little sprites for the small yet memorable cast of characters, this game, if anything, is a treat for your senses. The fact that it is a port from iOS is apparent, as a lot of the gameplay involves point and click, and different "swiping" methods used to advance in the plot. Speaking of the plot, it's highly unorthodox (as one would expect from an indie game), much of it coming from pop up text boxes featuring humorous and odd messages ("We had bridged the chasm & we felt super smart" or "We spied the solitary grave at the edge of The Perilous Precipice & we wondered what was up with that."), or from equally entertaining thoughts projected from the characters via mind reading Megatome. The game is not without its faults, though, as it is infuriating to be asked to tweet every message that comes up via the in-game Twitter support. One mechanic comes to mind, too, that involves waiting for the phases of the moon to advance (although this is a very neat aspect of the game, and can be worked around with some cleverness).

All-in-all, Superbrothers: Swords and Sorcery is a neat, quirky point and click adventure with fantastic visuals and a breathtaking soundtrack. Even if the gameplay itself can be lacking and involves mildly annoying features, it's a must try.
  13. Sep 25, 2012
    Excellent indie game ! Going through Sword&Sorcery is like reading a really good book : the atmosphere is fantastic. The gameplay and graphics are stripped to the bone, in a good way. If youhave a short attention span, this game is not for you. It's all about music, non-verbal storytelling and a smart balance between nostalgia and the will to go forward. ***BTW, you don't have to wait a whole lunar month to beat SBS&S. Just listen to what you're told during the game, it should make things easier...*** Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP is a very enchanting game, despite what many other users might have you believe. The pacing, humor, art and music are all top notch. I went into the game not knowing what to expect at all, and came away more than a little pleasantly surprised. The tongue-in-cheek humor is endearing, and the plot takes on the abstract, dream-like qualities of absurdity and non sequitur. The puzzles are not difficult, and the trekking involved to travel were not long enough to instill boredom. I really enjoyed and was satisfied with my playthrough.

That being said, the game is really defined by its atmosphere. This isn't a stat-grinding RPG or a twitch-reflex FPS game. It's not a timed-jump requisite plat former or a strategy game that takes great mental acuity and focus before every move. I'd say it's much more similar to games like Machinarium or Monkey Island, but with an immersive atmosphere much more akin to Zork or Conan the Barbarian, though not quite as deep.

I find it very odd that many reviewers were off-put by the postmodernism and absurdism present within the game in 2012. Hipster-paranoia has apparently reached such heights that any sort of pastiche at all can no longer just be appreciated. Or even worse, there is the case where a reviewer can't simply accept that it just isn't their type of game and flings meaningless insults. There are games that fit the niches stated in the above paragraph. This isn't one of those, and that's part of what made it so refreshing to play, obscure etymology jokes, oblique fantasy references and all.
  15. Mar 23, 2013
    I loved this game. Excellent art and music.

The controls aren't that annoying. I prefer the PC version to the mobile version.

I didn't use the Twitter integration at all, and I don't know why everybody was so annoyed by it. This game, in my opinion, should have received a much higher user score.

Headphones recommended.
  16. Jun 8, 2013
    Amazing and beautiful, the soundtrack is enough to buy outright. The first 15 minuets had me worried, but when the music kicks in wow. Its a must by for any gamer. Short and sweet
  17. Oct 3, 2013
    This game is amazing, The story is unique, The music is even more amazing and it's over-all a great game that'd I'd recommend to everyone. I don't know why people keep calling it "Hipster Trash"? I didn't see anything hipstery about it. And about the twitter thing, If you knew more about the game you'd understand. Anyways, Ignore all the negative posts and give the game a try. (I prefer the iOS version over PC.) Expand
  18. Apr 8, 2014
    This is a paragon for simplicity of design. Everything from the music to the visuals works to strengthen the experience of discovery. The game is linear for the most part which mirrors the linear nature of the actions taken by the main character. The combat is simple but fun and wields a sense of agency that I nearly ever find in most full-fledged action games. The story begs to be asked so many questions, many of which I wonder to this day, and there in lies the lasting effect of this game. The gameplay exist to deliver a lasting impression, one that shouldn't soon be forgotten. If you enjoy media that leaves you with a lasting relevance, similar to films such as Primer, Drive, etc. then don't hesitate to pick up Swords & Sworcery on any platform(although iOS is preferable) Expand
  19. Apr 30, 2012

1. Jun 19, 2012
    Sworcery is worth a look for the presentation and music, but despite the upgrade to HD the mobile version is still the one to go for. [Aug 2012, p.77]
    Best definition of what an indie game should be: stylish, original, intellectually stimulating and an amusing adventure. [June 2012]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Superbrothers is a unique audio-visual experience that turns an old cliché into a refreshing and intriguing adventure, though it sacrifices gameplay to achieve it.