6.4

1. May 15, 2012
    I enjoyed the historical references and music in this game, but the actual gameplay was extremely disappointing and boring with quick time event combat.
    The interface hasn't been improved for the PC and reeks of being ported from an iOS without much effort to really use the PC platform as much as possible.
  2. Jun 3, 2012
    I am a fan of indie games, and I like the "old-school" feel of this game. The music/sound was incredible (but too good for this game, kinda like the movie "FM"). I think this game had a LOT of potential but most of it was ruined by the dialogue/story text. Whoever wrote these little gems was obviously a hipster trying WAY too hard to be "ironic". For example, your character is walkingI am a fan of indie games, and I like the "old-school" feel of this game. The music/sound was incredible (but too good for this game, kinda like the movie "FM"). I think this game had a LOT of potential but most of it was ruined by the dialogue/story text. Whoever wrote these little gems was obviously a hipster trying WAY too hard to be "ironic". For example, your character is walking through a lush forest next to a beautifully reflective lake with Guthrie's soothing sounds setting the mood and you come across a man chopping wood. The dialogue box pops up and says something like, "Woodmanbro thinks you are like, totally rad, bro." This continues for pretty much any dialogue/story text you will encounter. I played until a little ways into part 3 (there are 4 parts to the game, so a little over halfway) before I just couldn't stand it anymore. Every time I would start to really get into the game and the atmosphere created by Guthrie something else would pop up and ruin it with more hipster buzzword garbage, so I guess it's really no surprise that the game asks you to post every inane bit of dialogue you encounter to that other bastion of hipsterism - twitter. I suppose it's supposed to be "ironic" that they just don't care enough to create real story text, but really it's just annoying and makes the game feel unfinished, like the developers gave the game to their 16 year old brother and asked him to write the dialogue. The developers should go back and play the old Sierra classic Hero's Quest (also known as Quest for Glory) for examples of story text that are cute/funny/campy without being horribly overdone, painfully "ironic" and ruining the mood of the game.

Also, the Zelda triforce ripoff just felt like more hipster B.S. - "HAY HAY WE PLAYED ZELDA AND MADE A TOTALLY TOO-OBVIOUS REFERENCE TO IT ISN'T THAT COOL/FUNNY/IRONIC BRO?!!!"
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP is a very enchanting game, despite what many other users might have you believe. The pacing, humor, art and music are all top notch. I went into the game not knowing what to expect at all, and came away more than a little pleasantly surprised. The tongue-in-cheek humor is endearing, and the plot takes on the abstract, dream-like qualities of absurdity andSuperbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP is a very enchanting game, despite what many other users might have you believe. The pacing, humor, art and music are all top notch. I went into the game not knowing what to expect at all, and came away more than a little pleasantly surprised. The tongue-in-cheek humor is endearing, and the plot takes on the abstract, dream-like qualities of absurdity and non sequitur. The puzzles are not difficult, and the trekking involved to travel were not long enough to instill boredom. I really enjoyed and was satisfied with my playthrough.

That being said, the game is really defined by its atmosphere. This isn't a stat-grinding RPG or a twitch-reflex FPS game. It's not a timed-jump requisite plat former or a strategy game that takes great mental acuity and focus before every move. I'd say it's much more similar to games like Machinarium or Monkey Island, but with an immersive atmosphere much more akin to Zork or Conan the Barbarian, though not quite as deep.

I find it very odd that many reviewers were off-put by the postmodernism and absurdism present within the game in 2012. Hipster-paranoia has apparently reached such heights that any sort of pastiche at all can no longer just be appreciated. Or even worse, there is the case where a reviewer can't simply accept that it just isn't their type of game and flings meaningless insults. There are games that fit the niches stated in the above paragraph. This isn't one of those, and that's part of what made it so refreshing to play, obscure etymology jokes, oblique fantasy references and all.
  4. Aug 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautifully organized game with great visuals, music, and a short, simple, and overall enjoyable story. However, it's weighed down by inane "quirkiness" through frequent outdated 90s lingo and overt Legend of Zelda influence (I mean, spoiler alert, you fight the pieces of the triforce in the same manner that you fight Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time). This problem is shoved further down your throat as the game constantly reminds you that you can tweet every single phrase they put up on your screen. If you can ignore the niggling feeling that you're playing a game for hipsters, you'll find this game very rewarding in it's own unique way. Expand
  5. Jul 30, 2012
    The intentionally nonsensical story and eloquent "hipster" dialogue is sure to delight some, but unfortunately the obtuse gameplay often overshadows the otherwise beautiful presentation. Some puzzles require unintuitive thinking to solve, such as dragging together two mountains in the background. Beyond the minimalist puzzles, the game plays more like an interactive story, and it's duringThe intentionally nonsensical story and eloquent "hipster" dialogue is sure to delight some, but unfortunately the obtuse gameplay often overshadows the otherwise beautiful presentation. Some puzzles require unintuitive thinking to solve, such as dragging together two mountains in the background. Beyond the minimalist puzzles, the game plays more like an interactive story, and it's during these quirky story-telling moments where the game excels. Expand
  6. Jul 6, 2012
    I'll start with what was great about the game: The pixel art was beautiful, the effects were lovely, and the soundtrack and sound effects were fantastic. The setting, too, was fairly interesting to me, if only for the fact that you play as a Scythian. Then, what's not so great: the controls are bad with a mouse. It's very obviously meant for touchscreen devices, and minimal effort wasI'll start with what was great about the game: The pixel art was beautiful, the effects were lovely, and the soundtrack and sound effects were fantastic. The setting, too, was fairly interesting to me, if only for the fact that you play as a Scythian. Then, what's not so great: the controls are bad with a mouse. It's very obviously meant for touchscreen devices, and minimal effort was made to port things like the battle interface to PC controls. It's slow. Now, I've played adventure games. I love Riven, and that game has about three puzzles in the entire game. Slow-paced is one thing, but this is just slow. It's atmospheric, sure, but without solid direction, it can be difficult to know what you're meant to do at points. Its tone is very poor. It tries to be half-epic, but covers its own ass by ensuring just about everything shifts into an ironically modern tone halfway through. I could see this working as a distinction between reality and the dream world, and that could have strengthened the theme even more, but that's not the case. And so, finally to the whale in the room: it's got Twitter integration. Everything you read is packaged as a tweet, and can easily be tweeted onto your own Twitter account. On some level, writing 140 character-long snippets of exposition is an artistic exercise of sorts, and if that was all, I wouldn't feel too strongly about it. I might even like it. But the way that it was used here, with that smarmy ironic writing, not only was enough to disrupt my immersion in the game world pretty harshly, but it came off as being far too confident of their own damn writing, that they wanted every bit of it to be able to be shared. So points for art/music design, atmosphere, story as a whole, points off for writing, Twitter crap, overconfidence, and poor gameplay design/port job. Expand
  7. Aug 19, 2012
    First of all, credit where credit is due - what we have here is a sincere attempt to do something different in gaming. If I was rating based on aesthetics alone, my score would be much higher. However, as a gameplay experience, Sword and Sorcery is dull at its best moments and deeply frustrating at its worst. The puzzles seem to rely predominantly on guesswork, and on more than oneFirst of all, credit where credit is due - what we have here is a sincere attempt to do something different in gaming. If I was rating based on aesthetics alone, my score would be much higher. However, as a gameplay experience, Sword and Sorcery is dull at its best moments and deeply frustrating at its worst. The puzzles seem to rely predominantly on guesswork, and on more than one occasion I found myself randomly clicking around the screen trying to move the story forward (this may say more about my own intelligence than the quality of the game, but I don't think I'm the only person to raise this complaint). I do hope these developers stay in the business, as I think they have the potential to make something truly special. However, it'll take a few more trips back to the drawing board before that happens. Expand
  8. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a weird game to review, because it does a few things really well, and a few things really poorly. The soundtrack is great, and they get a lot of mileage out of the 8 bit graphics. Some of the puzzles are okay, but the combat is painful. It's a game that looks and sounds nice, but just isn't fun.
  9. Oct 2, 2012
    Finished it. Simple gameplay that becomes repetitive and requires no skill (simply spam the button); nonsensical puzzles and plenty of walking and backtracking over and over through the same areas in a very small world. Far too little game here, and what there is isn't well executed. Why the 'perfect' reviews then? Because an indie game, with 8-bit style graphics, an atmosphericFinished it. Simple gameplay that becomes repetitive and requires no skill (simply spam the button); nonsensical puzzles and plenty of walking and backtracking over and over through the same areas in a very small world. Far too little game here, and what there is isn't well executed. Why the 'perfect' reviews then? Because an indie game, with 8-bit style graphics, an atmospheric soundtrack, topped with snarky dialogue. Hipster 'gamers' rejoice, your checklist is fulfilled. Too bad gameplay isn't on the list.

10. Jul 3, 2013
    Beautiful, poetic, occasionally funny, but very unrewarding and boring to play. This feels like a prototype game concept which is ready to be fleshed out into an actual game, only they skipped that and just decided to release it. I think most of the rave reviews are from people sucked in by how hard the creators tried to set it apart from a cliche fantasy/adventure/puzzle game and areBeautiful, poetic, occasionally funny, but very unrewarding and boring to play. This feels like a prototype game concept which is ready to be fleshed out into an actual game, only they skipped that and just decided to release it. I think most of the rave reviews are from people sucked in by how hard the creators tried to set it apart from a cliche fantasy/adventure/puzzle game and are overly impressed with its originality. There is very little depth to this game aside from there being a dream world mirror of the real world and the connection with the moon (I won't give away what). The game is otherwise completely linear. When you remove the nearly funny, vague stylistic narration, there's really not much to the story. Seriously, move along, this is not worth your time if it was free. Points for a great concept only. Expand
  11. Jul 17, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery was a short, stylish, enjoyable diversion for me. The music is unbelievable, and I would recommend picking up the soundtrack somewhere. The presentation is really good. The overall atmosphere the game creates is stellar. Unfortunately, the gameplay is lacking. Puzzles are often confusing or boring, and the combat system is similarly frustrating. There are some gems inSword & Sworcery was a short, stylish, enjoyable diversion for me. The music is unbelievable, and I would recommend picking up the soundtrack somewhere. The presentation is really good. The overall atmosphere the game creates is stellar. Unfortunately, the gameplay is lacking. Puzzles are often confusing or boring, and the combat system is similarly frustrating. There are some gems in here, but they are pretty infrequent. I'd still recommend a playthrough though, as it's a pretty cheap and cheerful diversion. I had some fun with it, but mainly due to the presentation and not the gameplay. Definitely a game of style over substance. Expand
  12. Sep 8, 2012
    This is one of those games I really thought I'd enjoy but didn't. I'm the kind of niche gamer who enjoyed Wind Waker and Animal Crossing way too much. Relaxing, slow-paced games with loose goals are definitely my thing, but Superbrothers fell too short. The art style and music are fantastic and exploring is fun the few times the game allows it. Other than that, it's an empty experience.This is one of those games I really thought I'd enjoy but didn't. I'm the kind of niche gamer who enjoyed Wind Waker and Animal Crossing way too much. Relaxing, slow-paced games with loose goals are definitely my thing, but Superbrothers fell too short. The art style and music are fantastic and exploring is fun the few times the game allows it. Other than that, it's an empty experience. The gameplay is as bare bones as it gets. There's not really any side goals and the main quest is a string of overly simple tasks.

All 4/10 of my points are for the amazing visuals and sound design. Everything else about the game is completely vapid.
  13. Jun 1, 2012
    GREAT music and stylish visuals, but as far as gameplay goes there isn't much to do here. The quest is repetitive and has such a boooooring pace. Came curious about the hype, and left extremely disapointed.
  14. Jun 5, 2012
    This game has cool art... that's about it. I understand it's a point-and-click game, but this just doesn't work. The battle system is in dire need of tweaks... swiping maybe, something... it's just bad. After playing it for about 45 min, I wanted to kick myself in the ass for wasting my money. If you like the art, don't let the game ruin it.. just do a Google Image Search of the "Sword &This game has cool art... that's about it. I understand it's a point-and-click game, but this just doesn't work. The battle system is in dire need of tweaks... swiping maybe, something... it's just bad. After playing it for about 45 min, I wanted to kick myself in the ass for wasting my money. If you like the art, don't let the game ruin it.. just do a Google Image Search of the "Sword & Sworcery". Expand
  15. Jun 3, 2012
    While the gameplay and combat mechanics were boring and lackluster, the rest of the games was great! Obviously, this is not a standard point and click adventure. It forgoes most of the puzzle mechanics of the genre for a more intuitive, streamlined adventure that was obviously created for a touch screen device. Still, the game has a unique story and design. The beautiful music fits inWhile the gameplay and combat mechanics were boring and lackluster, the rest of the games was great! Obviously, this is not a standard point and click adventure. It forgoes most of the puzzle mechanics of the genre for a more intuitive, streamlined adventure that was obviously created for a touch screen device. Still, the game has a unique story and design. The beautiful music fits in with the game and makes for a relaxing experience. In summary, although the game is short (only a few hours long), it is both beautiful and unique but the gameplay is somewhat bland . Expand
  16. Jun 4, 2012
    If nothing else it's worth it for the soundtrack - especially if you picked it up for cheap as part of the current Humble Bundle. That said, it's not really a 'game' as much as it is an interactive vehicle for the excellent pseudo-electronic score. It's obviously intended for a touchscreen, the gameplay and combat mechanics are extremely limited and navigating from area to area is a bitIf nothing else it's worth it for the soundtrack - especially if you picked it up for cheap as part of the current Humble Bundle. That said, it's not really a 'game' as much as it is an interactive vehicle for the excellent pseudo-electronic score. It's obviously intended for a touchscreen, the gameplay and combat mechanics are extremely limited and navigating from area to area is a bit frustrating to control using a mouse, especially later in the game when you're being chased by Generic Evil Spirit. It was at least moderately engaging and they keep it short and sweet, but beyond the music I don't really see why S:S&S is getting the praise it is. Expand
  17. Jun 29, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery is not a game that can be reviewed as game because it is an interactive experience. What does that mean? It means to play it you have to give yourself whole to the game and immerse into the world although it doesn't even has a tutorial... that's part of the voyage and the discovery.

Beautiful -8 bits-like graphics that leave a lot of details to be filled by your imagination is something some young gamers won't understand, and intuitive try and try again gameplay and controls can be frustrating for those who wants to know everything right now. But everything clicks into place very quickly and you'll be able to breeze through it in no time.

Non-complex gameplay is intended to enjoy the experience... this is not a game about challenges but a simple story told through our actions and errors. The music ties perfectly with this simple visuals and controls, peaceful natural sounds like a waterfall in the background with clear guitars.

The game has some replayability too with some achievements that can be completed in a quick 2nd go at the game (once you finish it the first time the second time will go by very quickly) and there is at least two puzzles that have more than one solution and may keep you coming back to try another time.

It's a short game, but more importantly it's a deep experience if you are willing to give yourself to it and accept it as is. Simple graphics, simple controls, simple music, simple story... but a great experience.

The tweeter thing is optional so don't cry about it! xD
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was advertised as an audiovisual experience, and it did not disappoint. With a fantastic soundtrack from Jim Guthrie and amazing 8-bit graphics, complete with cute little sprites for the small yet memorable cast of characters, this game, if anything, is a treat for your senses. The fact that it is a port from iOS is apparent, as a lot of the gameplay involves point and click, and different "swiping" methods used to advance in the plot. Speaking of the plot, it's highly unorthodox (as one would expect from an indie game), much of it coming from pop up text boxes featuring humorous and odd messages ("We had bridged the chasm & we felt super smart" or "We spied the solitary grave at the edge of The Perilous Precipice & we wondered what was up with that."), or from equally entertaining thoughts projected from the characters via mind reading Megatome. The game is not without its faults, though, as it is infuriating to be asked to tweet every message that comes up via the in-game Twitter support. One mechanic comes to mind, too, that involves waiting for the phases of the moon to advance (although this is a very neat aspect of the game, and can be worked around with some cleverness).

All-in-all, Superbrothers: Swords and Sorcery is a neat, quirky point and click adventure with fantastic visuals and a breathtaking soundtrack. Even if the gameplay itself can be lacking and involves mildly annoying features, it's a must try.
  19. Jun 1, 2012
    Hipster garbage. Another game that focuses on a stupid gimmick rather than being fun. Might be better on a mobile/touchscreen platform, but is extremely unsatisfying on the PC.

Was considering giving it a 2 because the visuals and music were -okay-; but then I remembered that it wanted me to sign into twitter so the game can advertise itself on my feed.
  20. Jun 2, 2012
    Excellent pixel-art graphics and music. Maybe too twiter-oriented and controls are not very comfortable, but still a nice indie game worth buying and playing.
  21. Jun 25, 2012
    Mindless busywork set to an insubstantial plot with an ass of an attitude. The world and story (which are important to a point-and-click adventure) are nothing beyond the basal, formulaic medieval fantasy hero stuff. The gameplay is pretty much disconnected from everything about the story, apart from how succeeding moves the narrative along, and amounts to quicktime event combat andMindless busywork set to an insubstantial plot with an ass of an attitude. The world and story (which are important to a point-and-click adventure) are nothing beyond the basal, formulaic medieval fantasy hero stuff. The gameplay is pretty much disconnected from everything about the story, apart from how succeeding moves the narrative along, and amounts to quicktime event combat and simple shape-based puzzles. The world is very nice to look at when zoomed out, but turns into just a bunch of garbled, chunky pixels when you're up close interacting with just about anything. It's also very pretentious, in the most intimate sense. It actively just masturbates all over you as you play by pretending that its simple, mindless elements are actually worth giving a damn about with unfittingly sarcastic writing and this annoying guy who pops up in between chapters just spewing mostly nonsense. The only good quality about the game is its soundtrack, which is better off bought on its own, if that's at all possible. Expand
  22. Jun 7, 2012
    This is not what video games are meant to be about, Because, y'know, you buy video games to have fun, right? Well at least I do anyway. Although this game has some lovely visuals and music fitting to an 8bit retro throw back, I find the whole thing highly pretentious and dull. I'm glad that I got this from a humble bundle, otherwise I would have felt more inclined to give this game an evenThis is not what video games are meant to be about, Because, y'know, you buy video games to have fun, right? Well at least I do anyway. Although this game has some lovely visuals and music fitting to an 8bit retro throw back, I find the whole thing highly pretentious and dull. I'm glad that I got this from a humble bundle, otherwise I would have felt more inclined to give this game an even worse review. Expand
  23. May 17, 2012
    I knew something was desperately wrong when the game prompted me to enter my twitter login details to auto post a vacuous end of level monologue after I'd spaz clicked my way thru the 1st level. Ridiculous. Hipster. Trash.
  24. Jun 2, 2012
    I registered just to vote down this game because I bought it based on its metacritic score, but was severely disappointed. Rarely have I seen a game where bland, bad graphic design met bland, awful game mechanic. The "puzzles" are all devoid of logic and consist of random clicking, and the story is pretty silly.

What irked me most (apart from the good score it got here) was the absolutely

What irked me most (apart from the good score it got here) was the absolutely horrifyingly boring running around. And since there's so little logic to the game, just running around stupidly is a must to solve 'em riddles. And the paths are long. I almost dozed off a few times. Waste of my money.
  25. Jun 3, 2012
    It is honestly perplexing to see critics praise this game so heavily. It is barely even a game. It is an awful port of a a bland iPod game with barely any effort in translating the controls. The graphics are a hideous, cluttered mess. The combat is boring and without any challenge. Most of the gameplay consists of you slowly walking from place to place, clicking around the screen to solveIt is honestly perplexing to see critics praise this game so heavily. It is barely even a game. It is an awful port of a a bland iPod game with barely any effort in translating the controls. The graphics are a hideous, cluttered mess. The combat is boring and without any challenge. Most of the gameplay consists of you slowly walking from place to place, clicking around the screen to solve puzzles with zero bearing in logic. Sword & Sworcery is beyond a bad game. It is pretentious, clunky, ugly and simply not fun to play. A zero is usually a bit harsh, but I cannot give this anything higher. Expand
  26. Jun 3, 2012
    Boy, am I glad it came in a bundle and this way I can feel that I didn't waste any money on it... Confusing control scheme, "artistic" graphic (what is so cool about taking tiny sprites and blowing them out of proportions?) the "oh so chilled out" mood. And the NAGGING to tweet. It felt like a "F2P" Android game that keeps asking you to give it 5stars to be able to play on. (I uninstallBoy, am I glad it came in a bundle and this way I can feel that I didn't waste any money on it... Confusing control scheme, "artistic" graphic (what is so cool about taking tiny sprites and blowing them out of proportions?) the "oh so chilled out" mood. And the NAGGING to tweet. It felt like a "F2P" Android game that keeps asking you to give it 5stars to be able to play on. (I uninstall any game that does that, instantly, btw). Basically - trash. (at least for me)
    I can understand if some people like it, but it NEVER justifies a metascore of 85. Nope. Definitely.
  27. Jun 6, 2012
    Actual in-game text: "We think of wakefulness & the mythopoetic psychocosmology of dreams as separate states, however they operate in curious ways. The threshold of liminality is a space in-between wakefulness and dreams were directed thought is possible." You know something's wrong when a game uses pscyhobabble jargon that doesn't make any actual real world sense. As another reviewerActual in-game text: "We think of wakefulness & the mythopoetic psychocosmology of dreams as separate states, however they operate in curious ways. The threshold of liminality is a space in-between wakefulness and dreams were directed thought is possible." You know something's wrong when a game uses pscyhobabble jargon that doesn't make any actual real world sense. As another reviewer commented before me (turbo_chuffa) - this game is pure Hipster Trash. It is pretentiousness at the highest annoying level - that level where it is so self-absorbed in its own supposed artistry. The only way I can understand why other people would give this game a high-rating is case of "Emperor's New Clothes" - pretending to like this trash so they can appear intellectually or culturally superior to others. Again, quoting turbo_chuffa - Ridiculous. Hipster. Trash. No 3 words are more appropriate to describe this game. Expand
  28. Jun 24, 2012
    I generally like art projects in game industry but this is not even a game. It is strange for me to see it rated so high.
    Go play Machinarium or Botanicula if you want to see how point-and-click art-based adventures can be done. And they don't even ask your social network accounts to be 100 times more entertaining. Amazing.
  29. Aug 19, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery really does not deserve the high critical acclaim.
    The "game" provides no challenge whatsoever, is extremely slow and has virtually no gameplay or story to speak of. Most of your time is spent walking around fairly empty screens, sometimes with a few "puzzles" that involve clicking objects in the right order.
    Combat is dead simple apart from very few sudden instant-death
    Sword & Sworcery really does not deserve the high critical acclaim.
    Combat is dead simple apart from very few sudden instant-death scenarios that you will easily pass after the first time they smack you in the face. Of course, you will have to sit through the slow, braindead first part of the fight again.
    The game also has a built-in mechanic that, at two points, forces you to wait X real-time days to be able to continue because the moon phase has to be right. It's nice finding that out via a walkthrough after shambling around every screen for half an hour. The mechanic is as stupid and nonsensical as it sounds, the moon phase has no relevancy on anything else in the game and you will just have to quit playing for a few days because you cannot progress.
    The game also has a gimmick that makes it possible tweet every single text box you get in the game. The texts are not particularly funny or interesting and it doesn't change anything about the game to tweet stuff from it. Pointless, really.
    The controls are strange to use with a mouse, but you get used to it and they work well enough. The art style isn't too interesting, but also not bad. However, the music is amazing. I got this with the Humble Bundle, so I also received the soundtrack, and I really recommend that one.
    In conclusion: stay away. This isn't fun, this isn't challenging, this is not a game. It's also not a playable novel because there is no story. It's masturbation with no payoff.
    But with really good music.
  30. Mar 23, 2013
    I loved this game. Excellent art and music.

The controls aren't that annoying. I prefer the PC version to the mobile version.

I didn't use the Twitter integration at all, and I don't know why everybody was so annoyed by it. This game, in my opinion, should have received a much higher user score.

Headphones recommended.
  31. Jun 3, 2012

1. Jun 19, 2012
    Sworcery is worth a look for the presentation and music, but despite the upgrade to HD the mobile version is still the one to go for. [Aug 2012, p.77]
    Best definition of what an indie game should be: stylish, original, intellectually stimulating and an amusing adventure. [June 2012]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Superbrothers is a unique audio-visual experience that turns an old cliché into a refreshing and intriguing adventure, though it sacrifices gameplay to achieve it.