6.3

1. Feb 28, 2014
    Superbrothers has very interesting cues, a superb graphical taste, but...that's just not enough to make a good overall experience, in my opinion. Gameplay was boring and sometimes annoying, it really did little to push me and to proceed to the end.
  2. Sep 8, 2012
    This is one of those games I really thought I'd enjoy but didn't. I'm the kind of niche gamer who enjoyed Wind Waker and Animal Crossing way too much. Relaxing, slow-paced games with loose goals are definitely my thing, but Superbrothers fell too short. The art style and music are fantastic and exploring is fun the few times the game allows it. Other than that, it's an empty experience. The gameplay is as bare bones as it gets. There's not really any side goals and the main quest is a string of overly simple tasks.

All 4/10 of my points are for the amazing visuals and sound design. Everything else about the game is completely vapid.
  3. Jul 3, 2013
    Beautiful, poetic, occasionally funny, but very unrewarding and boring to play. This feels like a prototype game concept which is ready to be fleshed out into an actual game, only they skipped that and just decided to release it. I think most of the rave reviews are from people sucked in by how hard the creators tried to set it apart from a cliche fantasy/adventure/puzzle game and are overly impressed with its originality. There is very little depth to this game aside from there being a dream world mirror of the real world and the connection with the moon (I won't give away what). The game is otherwise completely linear. When you remove the nearly funny, vague stylistic narration, there's really not much to the story. Seriously, move along, this is not worth your time if it was free. Points for a great concept only. Expand
  4. Jun 22, 2014
    As an art piece it's great. If you actually intend on playing the thing for a while though....you will quickly discover how much of a chore the game puts you through by repetitively walking through the same environments looking for a "key" to get through the next "door". It gets very old very fast. Just watch the trailers, or buy it for iOS as a bit of a distraction. Don't waste your time on the PC version. Expand
  5. Jun 7, 2012
    This is not what video games are meant to be about, Because, y'know, you buy video games to have fun, right? Well at least I do anyway. Although this game has some lovely visuals and music fitting to an 8bit retro throw back, I find the whole thing highly pretentious and dull. I'm glad that I got this from a humble bundle, otherwise I would have felt more inclined to give this game an even worse review. Expand
  6. Jun 22, 2012
    While this game has some great ideas, most of them are poorly executed. 70% of the time you're expected to figure out what to do with vague clues that really don't make any sense. To top it off there are some incredibly frustrating bugs. Have fun watching your character walk aimlessly for large amounts of time.

Game looks awesome and sounds awesome, but it doesn't make up for poor design.
  7. Jun 3, 2012
    I am a fan of indie games, and I like the "old-school" feel of this game. The music/sound was incredible (but too good for this game, kinda like the movie "FM"). I think this game had a LOT of potential but most of it was ruined by the dialogue/story text. Whoever wrote these little gems was obviously a hipster trying WAY too hard to be "ironic". For example, your character is walking through a lush forest next to a beautifully reflective lake with Guthrie's soothing sounds setting the mood and you come across a man chopping wood. The dialogue box pops up and says something like, "Woodmanbro thinks you are like, totally rad, bro." This continues for pretty much any dialogue/story text you will encounter. I played until a little ways into part 3 (there are 4 parts to the game, so a little over halfway) before I just couldn't stand it anymore. Every time I would start to really get into the game and the atmosphere created by Guthrie something else would pop up and ruin it with more hipster buzzword garbage, so I guess it's really no surprise that the game asks you to post every inane bit of dialogue you encounter to that other bastion of hipsterism - twitter. I suppose it's supposed to be "ironic" that they just don't care enough to create real story text, but really it's just annoying and makes the game feel unfinished, like the developers gave the game to their 16 year old brother and asked him to write the dialogue. The developers should go back and play the old Sierra classic Hero's Quest (also known as Quest for Glory) for examples of story text that are cute/funny/campy without being horribly overdone, painfully "ironic" and ruining the mood of the game.

Also, the Zelda triforce ripoff just felt like more hipster B.S. - "HAY HAY WE PLAYED ZELDA AND MADE A TOTALLY TOO-OBVIOUS REFERENCE TO IT ISN'T THAT COOL/FUNNY/IRONIC BRO?!!!"
  8. Sep 21, 2012
    What a horrible game. The only redeeming quality this game has is its fantastic music/sounds. Everything else, from the graphics to the having to wait a whole lunar month to actually play a game, is just god awful. Stay away from this train wreck.
  9. May 4, 2012
    I signed up just to give this game a poor score. Please don't spend money on it like I did. I can't help but think the 10's on here are friends of the publisher. Really terrible game play in a novel visual format. Really the novel visuals are all this game have going for it and they wear off quickly due to the poor content and play. Get Limbo if you like novel visuals with interesting game play. Consider this game a nonsensical puzzle game, with dreary "puzzles" . The story line is inconsequential and the game is basically a series of visuals tied to puzzles "gems" that include "rubbing" rainbows with a mouse curser. Even in the original iOS format this game stinks. Humor, sound track and plot sound and play out as if they were put together by a student of some poor art school and that is probably the audience who would appreciate the "game" the most. I think the developers should perhaps take up advertising design to pump out their drivel in the context of web and tv ads because they shouldn't rip off the paying gaming public with rubbish like this. Readers, seriously reconsider any critic who has given this a great review. Expand
  10. May 6, 2012
    Utterly annoying trash, agree with icetime 100%, this game has very few redeeming qualitys. There are very few areas to "explore"(read side-scroll past) and the dialogue, puzzles and alot of the music are horribly done.
    Worst of all is the constant pop ups suggesting you tweet each line of the horrible dialogue in the game.
    Pathetic attempt to gain following with social networking sites
    and fake positive reviews.
    AVOID THIS GAME.
  11. Jun 2, 2012
    I registered just to vote down this game because I bought it based on its metacritic score, but was severely disappointed. Rarely have I seen a game where bland, bad graphic design met bland, awful game mechanic. The "puzzles" are all devoid of logic and consist of random clicking, and the story is pretty silly.

What irked me most (apart from the good score it got here) was the absolutely
    horrifyingly boring running around. And since there's so little logic to the game, just running around stupidly is a must to solve 'em riddles. And the paths are long. I almost dozed off a few times. Waste of my money. Expand
  12. Jun 5, 2012
    I decided to finally cave and try a Humble Indie Bundle, my first forays into Indie gaming were less than stellar, so admittedly I was apprehensive, but I figured most of the money goes to charity anyways, so why not? This was the first game I tried out of the bunch, and it looked pretty good, the music wasn't too bad. The story however was really generic, and the minute I started playing I realized this was the kind of hipster junk that put me off Indie games to begin with. I enjoy art, in fact I take quite a bit of graphic design classes, so I can say I appreciate the style, but this SHOULD NOT have been a game. I strongly reccomend against wasting your money on it. The only redeeming factor about all this is that most of my money will go to charity, and that I have four other games to try that look promising. As a game I'll give it a two, as a graphic arts project of some sort I would totally have given it a 9 or so, really cool designs and great music. Expand
  13. May 17, 2012
    I knew something was desperately wrong when the game prompted me to enter my twitter login details to auto post a vacuous end of level monologue after I'd spaz clicked my way thru the 1st level. Ridiculous. Hipster. Trash.
  14. Aug 19, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery really does not deserve the high critical acclaim.
    The "game" provides no challenge whatsoever, is extremely slow and has virtually no gameplay or story to speak of. Most of your time is spent walking around fairly empty screens, sometimes with a few "puzzles" that involve clicking objects in the right order.
    Combat is dead simple apart from very few sudden instant-death
    scenarios that you will easily pass after the first time they smack you in the face. Of course, you will have to sit through the slow, braindead first part of the fight again.
    The game also has a built-in mechanic that, at two points, forces you to wait X real-time days to be able to continue because the moon phase has to be right. It's nice finding that out via a walkthrough after shambling around every screen for half an hour. The mechanic is as stupid and nonsensical as it sounds, the moon phase has no relevancy on anything else in the game and you will just have to quit playing for a few days because you cannot progress.
    The game also has a gimmick that makes it possible tweet every single text box you get in the game. The texts are not particularly funny or interesting and it doesn't change anything about the game to tweet stuff from it. Pointless, really.
    The controls are strange to use with a mouse, but you get used to it and they work well enough. The art style isn't too interesting, but also not bad. However, the music is amazing. I got this with the Humble Bundle, so I also received the soundtrack, and I really recommend that one.
    In conclusion: stay away. This isn't fun, this isn't challenging, this is not a game. It's also not a playable novel because there is no story. It's masturbation with no payoff.
    But with really good music.
  15. Sep 27, 2012
    Who did this had big plans, but something went wrong, you can hardly call this "game";looks like a musical experiment.Luckily I got it with a bundle.
  16. Mar 13, 2014
    Superbrothers is to gaming what Adventure Time is to TV: something I just don’t get. Or maybe something you can only "get" if you're high.

Controls are bad, graphics are junk, music is forgettable, story is…well, I’m not sure there is a story aside from references to other games like Zelda. I thought this would be an amusing diversion for an evening but instead it put me to sleep.
    Literally. I struggled to finish the first part because I kept dozing off. Shocked at how many people are praising the visuals. It’s nothing but blocky pixels everywhere, allegedly arranged in “poetic” fashion. Whatever.

Superbrothers is sort of like Another World: there are action-type areas with puzzles mixed in. Except Another World is much better in every way, even the graphics, so you might as well play that instead. In fact, do anything else instead. If you have no other video game to play, read a book, surf the internet, eat a sandwich, exercise, anything. Your time will be better spent.
  17. Jun 24, 2012
    I generally like art projects in game industry but this is not even a game. It is strange for me to see it rated so high.
    Go play Machinarium or Botanicula if you want to see how point-and-click art-based adventures can be done. And they don't even ask your social network accounts to be 100 times more entertaining. Amazing.
  18. Jun 25, 2012
    Mindless busywork set to an insubstantial plot with an ass of an attitude. The world and story (which are important to a point-and-click adventure) are nothing beyond the basal, formulaic medieval fantasy hero stuff. The gameplay is pretty much disconnected from everything about the story, apart from how succeeding moves the narrative along, and amounts to quicktime event combat and simple shape-based puzzles. The world is very nice to look at when zoomed out, but turns into just a bunch of garbled, chunky pixels when you're up close interacting with just about anything. It's also very pretentious, in the most intimate sense. It actively just masturbates all over you as you play by pretending that its simple, mindless elements are actually worth giving a damn about with unfittingly sarcastic writing and this annoying guy who pops up in between chapters just spewing mostly nonsense. The only good quality about the game is its soundtrack, which is better off bought on its own, if that's at all possible. Expand
  19. Jun 5, 2012
    This game has cool art... that's about it. I understand it's a point-and-click game, but this just doesn't work. The battle system is in dire need of tweaks... swiping maybe, something... it's just bad. After playing it for about 45 min, I wanted to kick myself in the ass for wasting my money. If you like the art, don't let the game ruin it.. just do a Google Image Search of the "Sword & Sworcery". Expand
  20. Jun 3, 2012
    It is honestly perplexing to see critics praise this game so heavily. It is barely even a game. It is an awful port of a a bland iPod game with barely any effort in translating the controls. The graphics are a hideous, cluttered mess. The combat is boring and without any challenge. Most of the gameplay consists of you slowly walking from place to place, clicking around the screen to solve puzzles with zero bearing in logic. Sword & Sworcery is beyond a bad game. It is pretentious, clunky, ugly and simply not fun to play. A zero is usually a bit harsh, but I cannot give this anything higher. Expand
  21. Jun 15, 2012
    Hipster as **** this isn't a 'game' so much as a mildly interactive storybook, 'gameplay' consists of holding M1 to slowly walk to an object, then clicking the object to read a little description that doesn't tell you anything (ex. you look at a statue with a plaque below it, on inspection it says 'you saw a mysterious statue and wondered what was up with that,' you don't read the plaque or do anything to it) Expand
  22. Jun 6, 2012
    Actual in-game text: "We think of wakefulness & the mythopoetic psychocosmology of dreams as separate states, however they operate in curious ways. The threshold of liminality is a space in-between wakefulness and dreams were directed thought is possible." You know something's wrong when a game uses pscyhobabble jargon that doesn't make any actual real world sense. As another reviewer commented before me (turbo_chuffa) - this game is pure Hipster Trash. It is pretentiousness at the highest annoying level - that level where it is so self-absorbed in its own supposed artistry. The only way I can understand why other people would give this game a high-rating is case of "Emperor's New Clothes" - pretending to like this trash so they can appear intellectually or culturally superior to others. Again, quoting turbo_chuffa - Ridiculous. Hipster. Trash. No 3 words are more appropriate to describe this game. Collapse
  23. Jun 1, 2012
    Hipster garbage. Another game that focuses on a stupid gimmick rather than being fun. Might be better on a mobile/touchscreen platform, but is extremely unsatisfying on the PC.

Was considering giving it a 2 because the visuals and music were -okay-; but then I remembered that it wanted me to sign into twitter so the game can advertise itself on my feed.
  24. Jun 3, 2012
    Boy, am I glad it came in a bundle and this way I can feel that I didn't waste any money on it... Confusing control scheme, "artistic" graphic (what is so cool about taking tiny sprites and blowing them out of proportions?) the "oh so chilled out" mood. And the NAGGING to tweet. It felt like a "F2P" Android game that keeps asking you to give it 5stars to be able to play on. (I uninstall any game that does that, instantly, btw). Basically - trash. (at least for me)
    I can understand if some people like it, but it NEVER justifies a metascore of 85. Nope. Definitely.
  25. Jun 12, 2012
    Pretentious BS. This is not a game. This is a 'lulz, we so chilled/cool, bro, and we haz a liberal arts degree'. Glad I got it w/ the bundle and didn't spend money on it.
  26. Jul 21, 2012
    first of all I have a really hard time understanding where many of these bad reviews came from. Judging the game badly only on the fact that it is point and click game seems quite vague to me. But enough about that, lets discuss the game instead. In my eyes this game is truly a gem. It is by far one of the best indie games i have ever tried. The art is amazing, the music really catches the overall feeling of the game and i generally like all the references it does to other major games. But the reason im not giving it 10 is for one that I played it on PC and the controls and interface seems very much intended for the IOS platform (so go buy it for iPad). Another thing that annoys me is that the game keeps asking me if I want to post my progress on my twitter account. But overall an amazing indie title, and a game that really gave me much fun even though I was not expecting it. Expand
  27. Jun 6, 2012

1. Jun 19, 2012
    Sworcery is worth a look for the presentation and music, but despite the upgrade to HD the mobile version is still the one to go for. [Aug 2012, p.77]
    Best definition of what an indie game should be: stylish, original, intellectually stimulating and an amusing adventure. [June 2012]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Superbrothers is a unique audio-visual experience that turns an old cliché into a refreshing and intriguing adventure, though it sacrifices gameplay to achieve it.